Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Now, here's nit coffee.
Speaker 3: All right, hour number two here on a Halloween edition of Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us, don't forget take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Listen live. It's seven ninety Louisville dot Com. One hour're in with two more to go. As I don't know if there's any kids out there trigger treating right now. It's a little early. However, I stepped outside just a moment ago and it's not nice out, but it did briefly stop like raining. It was kind of a drizzle, a little bit you know, sprinkle maybe a little bit more than sprinkling. And hey, that's better than if we just get you know, showers. But fingers crossed, let's bring him in. He's the one and only Kent Spencer from Whas eleven can't. We talked a week ago and our positive vibes did not didn't too much for us because the rain is here. I don't know what Endo Town you are in. Is it still nasty as ever out there?
Speaker 4: It's not.
Speaker 2: It's not nasty where I am right now, But you know, you don't know when it could when it could pick up again. Let me tell you something, Nick, We have had perfect weather for two straight weeks, and I would have given anything to move this day to one of those.
Speaker 5: Days and had this day be really, really nice.
Speaker 3: Come on, man, Timmy couldn't have been worse. Mother Nature. She's a nasty woman, Kent, she's she's she's wrong for this, because you're right, we've had perfect weather and it I mean, I guess it did start a little earlier than I was expecting. But you know, if you were just looking at the forecast last night early this morning, like it was just supposed to start raining right as soon as kids would be would be starting to trick or treat. So maybe maybe we can hold off again. I think if you can get like an hour and a half to where it's not it's not raining hard and it's maybe just sprinkling here and there that you know, that wouldn't be ideal, but that'd be better than you know, just nothing but rain, but fingers crossed. What are the kids being for Halloween? Are they too old to dress up?
Speaker 2: So my my fourteen year old daughter, she's gonna go with friends.
Speaker 4: This is actually gonna be this is a this is a tough one.
Speaker 2: She's actually going to another friend's neighborhood to trick or treat. So this is the first time she's not gonna be with us.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, but that's gotta that's gotta be tough for a dad, right, Like this is this is another sign that she's growing up on you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but but you know what they're all going like is the same kind of thing, like characters from the from the Lorax.
Speaker 3: Okay, nice, So that's what that's.
Speaker 4: What they're gonna be.
Speaker 2: And then my twelve year old daughter, her and some friends did the same costumes at school. She is one of those little aliens from Toy Story. She got a big old body suit or whatever and the head flips over like a onesie.
Speaker 5: So she's gonna be an alien from from Toy Story.
Speaker 2: And then my son two months ago, God ordered got a Cane cost two from the w WE.
Speaker 3: Like Cain, an undertaker Kane.
Speaker 2: So he's gonna be Caine nice and that's all. Now, this was two months ago. He asked of me if I would go as.
Speaker 5: The undertaker so we could beat the Brothers of Destruction.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that is perfect. And so with that, I mean, that's oh my gosh, a father son Cain undertaker duo. That's that's perfect. And by the way, thanks to the Peacock Network, my my son's now watching wrestling too, so he may be asking to do that next year. But this year the Moose, the moose Man is a firefighter, and my daughter Maya is gonna be what probably most girls in the world are going to be. Taylor Swift.
Speaker 2: Well that's the Let me tell you something I love that I take Nick, I probably take this off, this this holiday off every single year.
Speaker 5: I love it so much.
Speaker 2: Because I love how they get into it.
Speaker 5: I love handing out candy all that stuff. Man, there's nothing, there's nothing cooler than hallowek.
Speaker 3: No doubt, no doubt, good vibes. And hey, even if the rain is in the way, we're we'll still make the most of it. And yeah, I can't believe how fast October went by, Like the fact that tomorrow's November is is insane to me. But let's switch gears here. I'll start with Kentucky if you can't, because obviously the season, you know, each week it's it's really the same conversation. They they're they're kind of a mess, and they seem to be getting worse things unraveling for Mark Stoops. But what do you make of the quarterback situation. I mean, Brock vandergriff as we've discussed, and I thought you've laid it out pretty good the last couple of weeks that you know, he's kind of cutting his teeth in real time, and that's not ideal when you're playing some of the best teams in the country, and Kentucky has had a really tough schedule. And even when you're not playing the best teams in the country, when you're getting your first reps as a starter against SEC defenses, again, you're gonna expect some growing pains. But I don't feel like they're in the position they're in because of his poor quarterback play. With Gavin Wemset, he gives you a different element. But I think when when you're trying to get this thing figured out and fixed, I mean, obviously, if Mark Stoops and his staff knew how to fix it, they would have already done it. But I just I think mixed going with two quarterbacks or maybe just leaning more so with Wimsat. I don't think that makes any sense at all.
Speaker 2: So if you're gonna go the two quarterback route, right, you can't just run it with Wimset every time he comes in like that. The element of surprise isn't there. Everybody already knows what they're gonna do. Davin Wimset, to me, isn't really an accurate passer from what I've been able to see.
Speaker 3: It wasn't that at Rutgers and he hasn't been that this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so so then that doesn't give you the element that you need.
Speaker 4: And his running ability, to be.
Speaker 2: Quite honest with you, from what I've seen, I'm sure it's good. But because nobody thinks he's actually gonna throw it and they're playing the run, well, that element's really not there.
Speaker 4: So my guess I'm.
Speaker 5: Thinking, and like, what are you what are you doing at this at this point, like you've gotta you've got to ride.
Speaker 2: This Vandergrift train. In my opinion, that's what you have to do. If you're if you're there and you're right, it's it's not all along him. I think a large part of it is on the offensive line, and now they're beat up up front, which you know, if they were healthy, they weren't the greatest thing in the world anyway, And so now that you have these backups in then it's it's really going off the rails a little bit. But in my opinion, like you got to play Vandergrift and you got to see if he can work some things.
Speaker 5: Out, if he could get some boar guys involved, you know, for them, Dame, he has had a nice year, but he ain't gonna be it. Like if you just got.
Speaker 2: One person that you trust from the ball to that's not gonna beat anybody in the SEC. That's not gonna beat anybody that's halfway decent, Like you have to you have to open up the playbook a little bit. You know, they're really beat up and running back obviously, but you know, I think they're supposed to get Debbie Subo Corn Bay back this week.
Speaker 5: Which would be a nice, nice lip some of those freshman backs.
Speaker 4: That have been pretty good in spurts.
Speaker 2: But I don't think the play Collens been the best for them. Like and to be honest with you, like with them being so beat up on the on the defensive side of the ball, with JJ Weaver out, you know, Max Harrison still out.
Speaker 5: I think the Eric Jackson's out this week.
Speaker 2: Like there's a there's a real chance they get uh Tennessee puts up a big number on Saturday Night.
Speaker 3: But don't you think that? And this, this this year is really different than any year Stoops has had because he's had years where they were struggling and had a tough time beating a lot of teams, but that was really early on in his tenure. This is an unusual year where they're they're really struggling, and you know it's not that they're I mean, I think you can look at what three of their losses and and you know, if you don't show up and you don't win, then you know you're a loser. You don't win, you are at your record says it is. But like the way they lost to South Carolina, the way unraveled against Florida and even Auburn last week, Like those aren't teams that you just look at the score and say, yeah, what are you gonna do? Those teams are so great, So you know, this is a very maybe maybe this is where it ends. But I feel like more often than not, when Stoops has had his team in a position where it seems as if they're gonna get blown out because of no momentum on their end and they're playing a really religod team, I feel like that's that's usually when its teams show up and play. Now again, they could do that and still lose to Tennessee. But I don't know. Maybe I'm reaching here, but I kind of feel like if this isn't an ultimate just ass whooping, which it could be, I mean, I guess it wouldn't be a big surprise given what's happened in recent weeks with them, but I feel like that would be kind of telling to kind of where everything is internally with that with that group, because he's not I mean, in recent weeks, it kind of seems as if these guys. I don't want to call them quitters because I just I feel like I wouldn't be in a position to know if they're truly quitting or not. But something's off with this team in this program with Stoops that that we really haven't seen ever. Seems like yeah, and.
Speaker 2: And you look, I mean, I picked you're being I think you're being extremely optimistic by thinking that they have a chance.
Speaker 3: To me, can't always optimistic about the Cats. I mean, I'm just being on brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think I just think that like, look this thing, you know, really after the highs of them beating Old Miss, this thing's really been headed.
Speaker 3: Solf pretty at a rapid rate.
Speaker 4: And it feels like.
Speaker 2: Them making the the quarterback.
Speaker 4: It feels like them making that.
Speaker 2: Quarterback swhich last week, like it felt like that was like a desperation move when like.
Speaker 4: There was there's no need.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not saying that you don't need to make some desperation move, but I don't think that was it, you know what I mean, Like like it just felt like it was like, oh this is Oh they've hit the panic.
Speaker 4: Button and oh it got worse.
Speaker 2: So that's for me and then you know, yeah, maybe this is a game or maybe you know this is like hey, they're rallying the troops.
Speaker 5: Check out the.
Speaker 2: Injury report, Like there's there's just nobody left at rally, like the all most of them are hurt or out, you know what I mean. Like I think Jordan's bagels a tight end. I think he's out this week like they just.
Speaker 5: They got no dudes left.
Speaker 2: And and you know, when you don't have a ton of depth to begin with, would you lose like your real tea guys, that thing goes.
Speaker 5: South in a hurry, and I think I think it's schooling south in a hurry.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And at the court you said it best. When it comes to doing some things that seem desperate, it's it's desperate times. So doing anything to you know, trying different stuff to see what works because of the situation would make sense. But I feel like, you know, your offense has been really really bad this year at times. I mean in the second half, they don't seem to score anything. I think they score fewer points than anybody in the second half this year. And I feel like if you're going to improve that, you need to utilize your weapons, which clearly Dankey has actually been a bright spot despite the season. Barrian Brown can change a game at any moment with a big play. I feel like you're not gonna be able to utilize those guys really in any way if it's whim set out there, because I mean, there's really not any any mystery as far as what they're gonna do when he's out there, it's it's it's quite clear that he's going to be out there to run the ball. And when everybody knows that's what's gonna happen, and your offensive line is not as good as they as they need to be, you know, it's it's not a good recipe. Do you do you think Stoops has I mean, and you would know this more so than than most people. How much involvement does Stoops actually have in the offense? Because I think Butch Hamden, not to say he's not a good play caller, but like to me, that didn't like I feel like with Mark Steups having some momentum and clearly some money, he could have gotten a more proven guy than Butch Hampden. You look at at what Liam Cohen's doing in the NFL. Obviously, uh, Shannon Dawson, he's gonna be a head coacher soon because of what he's doing with that Miami offense. I mean, how much of the offensive blame should go on Stoops because he claims, at least from what I understand, he doesn't claim to really be super involved in it. But when you watch them play and you look at some of the other things that have happened and seen other guys succeed that that he moved on from or they moved on from him. It kind of makes it hard to believe that he's not somewhat influencing what's going on offensively.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean just just kind of look back at his track record with offensive coordinators. I mean, you know, Shannon Dawson was fired after a year on.
Speaker 5: The job, like he's going to be a head coach, but Sue's firing often.
Speaker 2: And and you know Liam Cohen, you know, left to go to the Rams on his own, and then you know he brings in Rich Gangrello. Well, Rich Gangrello got fired after a year on the job. Liam Cohen the second time around, he left on his own, like.
Speaker 5: He was looking to leave.
Speaker 4: What does that tell you? It's you know, I don't know. I think that's pretty telling, right, Like.
Speaker 2: You've got guys that are either got fired or a guy that came back a second time because he wanted to come back, and then after a year he wanted to leave because clearly thinks aren't the same.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 5: I would say that's that's a pretty pretty telling deal. And so if you are really quality offensive coordinator up there. Man, we're travels in the coaching circles. It just it just does. And do you want do you want to be a part of that action? You know, maybe maybe the answer.
Speaker 2: Is though for a lot of really good quality offensive ocs out there. So that's what you know, I that's just be speculating, like if you just look down, like the history here, man, sometimes the history tells tells a big chunk of the story.
Speaker 3: And it's and it's really since since day one. I mean not to say they haven't had some success with offensive guys, but I mean, uh, I think the only the only o C that that that's stuck around there that you know, has moved on. I mean, what it's the coach at West Virginia and Neil Brown. I mean, he was it seemed as if they did, you know, Patrick Toles was there early on in the era, you know it at that point it kind of felt like, okay, he does trust his OC a little bit. And then from then on it's kind of just been you know, it's not I mean, the overall turnover as far as how many different people have had that position, that alone is is pretty telling in my opinion. All Right, We'll let you go here in just a moment because I know you've got to get to the Halloween festivities. But I do want to get your thoughts on this Louisville team. One to ten, ten being the most surprised, one being the least surprised. How surprised would you be if Louisville does win it Clemson for the first time ever this weekend?
Speaker 4: Uh, I'm not gonna say ten. That feels aggressive. I mean, I'd give it up. I'd give it a good eight.
Speaker 3: More so because of gut. Yeah, I mean i'd say, given the fact they're double digit dogs, that that that number does. I think most would probably be in that range. But is it more so because Louisville's kind of shown us all year who they are a team that can make some place. They're not a bad team, but they've been consistent. It really not winning these games this year. To be honest with you, or are you more of a believer in Clemson? I'm sure it's a variety of things, to be honest.
Speaker 4: With you, Yeah, it's it's a combination.
Speaker 2: To be honest with you, Yes, this Louisville team has been just an absolute roller coaster. You know they can they can do some really nice things.
Speaker 5: But also, I mean.
Speaker 4: They struggle at times.
Speaker 5: This Clemson team outside of I want to say it was the first week, didn't they They got.
Speaker 4: Destroyed by Georgia.
Speaker 5: But man, they've done a heck of a job rally in the troops and getting things going back and in the right direction, and they've looked pretty impressive. And then Death Valley at ninth Like I was there in sixteen when Louisville women there, and man, that place, that place is loud. It's packed like it is it's something, and and their speakers are really loud there right.
Speaker 2: That joint at night is legit. And so it's just it's just all of those kind of factors that that kind of go into it.
Speaker 5: And to be honest with you too, like you know, I talked so much about about Kentucky being beat up a little bit.
Speaker 4: You know, louis was really beat up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, like it ain't like there, it ain't like they're at full strength, and you know they're they're.
Speaker 4: Pretty banged up too, and Clemson is not the best team to go up against when you're banged up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And even when it feels like Clemson has fallen so far, you look and you see that they really haven't fallen that far.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And also even in those years where you feel like they're down, there's they're still not losing many games on their home field. I lied. Last question, we can make it quick. You've been to many SEC games covering Kentucky and obviously you've been to cover the Louisville Clemson matchup before. What what's the best atmosphere you've been in for a college football game, whether you're working, whether you're out there just you know, go into a game. What's the best atmosphere you've seen?
Speaker 5: Best atmosphere that I've seen.
Speaker 4: Might be Clemson was pretty darn good, man. Yeah, Clemson were good. Clemson was awesome. Get you know what.
Speaker 2: You know, what's awesome when when they're good. Because Spurrier was there at the time. South Carolina, I've.
Speaker 3: Always heard was it Lee Bright something Bryce Stadium? Yes, I've heard it's the most underrated atmosphere in the SEC.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 2: It was a it was a night game. It was like eighty like eighty five thousand strong, and they're packed out. They got the sandstorm going. They had Rick Flair the night.
Speaker 5: That that I was there covering a game and my man.
Speaker 2: Did a silhouette to the Titan Tron gave out a WU and eighty five Strong gave a WU back.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. I could see where that one. I could see where that one stands out. So I'm sure it'll be rocking on Saturday at Clemson and a lot of louisvill fans seemingly making the trip, which I'm I'm happy to see that. I mean, I don't know what the result is going to be, what they want it to be, but it's clearly the type of trip that if you're a Louis a fan and you want to make a road trip, you know, you make the arrangements, and even if the season hasn't gone as well as you would have thought, it's still probably worth going just because of everything that comes with it. But Kent, we appreciate you as always. Make a time, enjoy your Halloween. Please post on Twitter X whatever you want to call it. We got I want to see Undertaker and Kaine together. I mean, this is this is the best news I've heard on Halloween Day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll get something out.
Speaker 3: There, good stuff. Ken, appreciate you, brother, Hi buddy. Take care. That's Kent Spencer from Whas eleven. Good stuff there, I mean Undertaker and Kin. That'd be a badass duo regardless of who's dress if you're dressing up with your buddy, if you're but like a father's son, you kid me. I mean, that's that's perfect. Good stuff. Appreciate Kent. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. I want to react to a lot of what was said by our guests so far today, Cup and Kent, and some good texts coming in that I want to get to, including one about Colin Lacey. We can talk about that and who knows where this show is going to go. I feel like it'll be pretty slap happy around five o'clock because you know, Thursdays are our Fridays. I mean, we actually have two Fridays a week here on this show. You know, we've been trying to really change that vibe for everybody that Thursday is the new Friday, but it's also Halloween, John, you said it earlier, right, feels like a Friday, Like it feels like a holiday. So where do you know that that usually is a recipe for this thing to you know, go in a lot of different directions, so it should be fun. Stick with us right here, it's Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. We're right at at the halfway point here for a Halloween edition of Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. If you want to join us on the show, I phone lines are open if you want to give us a call Babbo two five to seven and one seventy nine hundred. And if you want a text in on the show, you can do that too. FABO two six five three zero seven ninety. Llen n Federal Credit Union text line members get more at Ellen and Federal Credit Union. You can learn more and open your account today at LLNFCU dot com. All right, so real quick, this text came in a little earlier today, and I'll read it word for word. But there was also somebody that sent something yesterday that I just I didn't feel like it was you know, it wasn't something I wanted to bring to the show. But given the fact that others have said something, and I've seen some chatter among Louisville fans on Twitter and whatnot, but the text says Nick, I think it's pretty lame for Colin Lacy to be publicly showing everybody that he's still utilizing Louisville's facilities to practice, but he won't play. That's a tough look. I mean, I think I've been pretty consistent and pretty direct about this whole. Like, I understand why everybody is unhappy about Colin lay. I mean, who wouldn't be unappy if you're alivele fan about Colin Lacy's decision. I mean, it's a net negative for you overall. And you know, like he quit. I mean, people aren't wrong when they say that. And I think my point is not to say that. You know, I'm not counting them to say, oh, no, he didn't quit, because he did. But you know, he quit, but we'll be able to play again potentially here, and if not, he can play elsewhere. So yes, he quit, but I also see him taking full advantage of a situation. And if I would have done this, I mean, I don't know if I was in issues, if I would have done the same thing, I mean, yeah I would. I can't relate to Colin Lacey, believe it or not. This may shock you He's a much better college football player than I ever was because I wasn't one. But this is such a different world now that this thing happened. Like it's just I mean, this is one of those things where and I'm not just saying this because it's Louisville and it's Jeff, but this is what played out with Colin and his decision to just you know, take it like, realize, Hey, I'm healthy, but I'm gonna go ahead and quit because this season is not gonna be what I wanted it to be a Louisville and I'm gonna stick around, continue to train and continue to take in I all money I'm assuming or at least keep the in a ale money that I've received at this point, and then I'm gonna hit the portal. Might come back to Louisville, or I might, you know, I might go elsewhere. That whole situation has to be what truly makes coaches consider walking away from lucrative jobs where they can suck at that job and still get paid a lot of money. That's the kind of thing that'll make them walk away because you know, as much as I do get on these coaches, and it's really not even them as much. I mean, occasionally coaches will do the pity party, and that's annoying, but that's just coaches being coaches, like they're they're the the Maybe not as much anymore, because I do think the new wave is to be relatable, to be down to earth, not only to your players, but to your fans and that kind of stuff. But like forever, coaches have, especially in college football, like they have oftentimes wanted to appear as if the leap that they're just football robots, that nobody could relate to them. They're not. I mean Nick Saban and will muss Champ. I think it was on the same day they had a press conference and wanted us to believe that they did not know that the following day was an election day, Like they wanted people to believe that they didn't even know we were voting on the next president that next day, and like that I remember it because it pissed me off, Like I get it, like, you know, you're just a football guy and we can't relate to you, but like, how dumb do you think society is to like think that you wouldn't know that it's election day? So coaches have always been you know, have been that way at least for the most part. So whenever they do end up talking about how, you know, players, you know, it's all about nil Like some of it's just them being them. But I've been pretty not hard on them. But I tell you what, my criticism about the whole New world and players leaving is been more on the media that just wants to kiss the ass of these coaches and act like, oh, we really got to consider doing something's got to give because we just lost one of the best coaches ever. I think, I mean, I think there were real, you know, real tears from grown men because Tony Bennett's handsome ass was walking away from college basketball, and he did probably somewhat because of what's going on, but all so because he's burnt out and he wanted to give the job to his buddy. So again, like two things can be true. I say that all the time, asking coaches to clearly make some adjustments to the job that they have had for a long time is really not that unusual. How many of you have a job where you have had to make some adjustments. Maybe you've been in the same position, doing the same type of work for fifteen twenty years. I bet it's different now than it was when you started, as far as just a lot of things, a lot of components to the job. So these guys in college football that are coaches basketball as well, they make a lot of money. They can lose every game and still be entitled every penny unless they choose to walk away. So I don't have any sympathy for him at all, but I also will acknowledge that the job is a lot different. It is different. You cannot do it the way you used to and not expect I mean, I'm not sure if there's any coach out there they can be the way he was ten years ago and it still work as successful or better as it did at that time. I mean, because you used to be able to put fear in these guys, right, like break them down then build them up, right, I mean the process was this. You recruit them, You tell them how great they are and how much you need them and how big of a role they're gonna have. And they could, oh, you want to play quarterback, Hell yeah, we'll put you under center. And then they get there and like you give them the the you know, it's boot camp essentially, right, Like it's it's tough for them early on because you got to toughen them up and they couldn't leave if they transferred, they would have to sit out right, and nobody wanted to do that. Well, now, like I think both again, both things can be true. There are guys who any adversity comes their way, they're gone and they're taking advantage of the ability to do that. But there are some that I don't think they're leaving because times are hard, and they're and they're and they're you know, they're weak minded where they don't take hard coaching. There are guys who are making the decision because they're just realizing, hey, look, this is a job now I need to look out for me and I have a chance to sit out and get another year to put more and probably impressive. You know, Colin wasn't healthy, started to get healthy. I'm not excused. I mean, I'm not saying that that that's the ultimate reason why he decided to do what he's doing, but like he has an opportunity to play one more year of college football now and put better film on you know, out there for the NFL and potentially not only make more money than he made at UFL this year, but any money next year in college could be could be. I mean, in fact, any NIL deal he gets, I would assume would pay him more than any NFL situation he would potentially have next year, if he even had one at all, Like he might be a practice squad guy next year. And I think he's talented, So maybe I'm wrong there. We'll never know because he's not going to the NFL this upcoming season unless, you know, unless something changes. So you know, it's just it's not this this this is the new world. There may be some improvements when it comes to organization guardrails, but players having the ability to really take full advantage of their look out for themselves. That's not going anywhere. That's gonna still remain here, and we just got to get used to it and accept it and to be And this is you know, when I talk about how it's not just different, it's not just that there are some changes. It's insanely different than it was. The reason why is because players used to have zero ability to do anything. I mean, the NC double A, I mean, the only people in America for a long time that could not benefit simply because of who they were were people in prison and people playing college athletics. So their refusal to budge from their archaic amateurism model led to it getting all the way to Congress for Congress to step in and say, yeah, you legally cannot keep them from doing that. And that's why the players now have all the power because the NCAA's tried to, I think, actually gives some some legitimate enforcement, right, like they're gonna let you make money in an IL, they're gonna let you transfer. But like they tried to say, well, you can only do it once and that with NIL, there's clearly some things you can't do as far as communication about a NIL. I'm not saying they had the best things in place, but they're trying to implement it after the fact. And again it all and and and all it took was a couple of different opportunities to put the NC double a's entire organization, their whole thought process of amateurism, put it in front of Congress. They lost a couple of times. It was a big deal, and now everybody's taking them the legal route and they're losing every time. So it's really their fault. It's the NC doublea's fault for not realizing that what they were doing for decades, generations seemingly was eventually going to burst. And that's and that's while we're here. So with Colin Lacey, of all the you know, of all of the layers to this whole situation, I've I've you know, I've been pretty dare I say supportive of Colin, Like I'm not saying like he did the right thing and people that are upset about it are wrong, but like I've at least tried to present his side of it to where it doesn't look like he's just a quitter. He's just truly taking advantage of something that would it would be kind of foolish not to take advantage of. But seeing him posting on his Instagram story that he's like working out but yet he's not gonna play for the team. He's not gonna do what he came here to do, Like that's tough. Of all the of all again, of all the layers to the situation, that's the one that actually I'm not gonna act like it brought rage out of me, but like it was a bad look for him in my opinion. Has I mean, I'm assuming nobody on Indiana's done that, right, John, Like, I mean, why would they things? Actually, no, y'all have.
Speaker 1: So there have been two wide receivers that haven't gotten a lot of time on the field that have left the team. But I don't know if they've done anything like still working out in the facilities and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I'm curious as to win. We will no longer be an I about any of these kind of transactions within college sports because as I just mentioned, it was the same way forever. So I don't think it's gonna be in a couple of years. It might take a long long time, like it might it might take a younger generation because right now I'm thirty six years old. This is still brand new. I've been a college basketball fan for longer than I can remember. I've been a college football fan for you know, roughly twenty years as far as just really loving it. So it's gonna take a long time where the majority of me consuming the product has has you know, like it's gonna take another twenty years essentially for me. Like, Okay, well, I've been a fan for this long and half of the time it's been this Half of the time it's been that, But I think it'll probably take the younger generation just you know, kind of this is going to be all they know, right, they'll remember maybe early on as far as college athletics not having nil and you not being able to basically have free agency, because I think those of us that the vast majority of our time as fans it was the same. Like, it's not something that really you ever just get used to. So maybe I need you know again, I think I, you know, after it happens, I now at least try to tell myself, hey, it makes sense given the new world, but it's still something that, like, you know, you're not expecting, right, Like I was not going into last week's game at Boston College thinking, well, you know what, Louisvill's coming off their third loss, you may see well, mostly because colin situation was unique. He didn't play the first few games because of an injury. But you know, when whenever you have a situation like that, put it this way, a lot of players in Colin's exact situation, fifth year guy injured to start the season, started to play well, but the team doesn't have a chance to get to where he wanted to get to. I think and we'll never know hypothetical here. I think the majority of college football players would have done exactly what he did, unless because here's the thing. I think, if you're a guy that's played for Jeff Brow for four years, I think that's a lot harder thing to do. Colin's been here a few months or you know, however long he's been here, not maybe many longer than a few months. Does that make sense, John, Like doing that to a guy that you came out of high school to play for, that you've played for for many years. I think it's almost you wouldn't even think about it. But now these guys are bouncing around. And I'm not saying Colin doesn't like Jeff Brown, clearly. I think he chose to come here for a reason, and Jeff was utilized in him pretty well before he decided to quit. But like, I think that's just the new nature, Like there's not that level of again, it's all transactional. When you're committing out of high school, you've played many many years for the same coach at the same program that you know. I'm sure there was a transactional situation along the way, But like that's a little different. Does that make sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't really have too much to add with it, but it is something that's going to be interesting to see how the players will navigate this in the years to come.
Speaker 3: Like again, I mean, maybe I'm overvalue, maybe I'm overvaluing Jeff. But again, if you have had a long standing relationship with a coach that recruited you out of high school, you play many years, and the situation played out the same way for him, I just think it's it just almost wouldn't be possible to just at that, especially when you're being utilized and you are and you are like a key, like you're important, you matter. With Colin, you know, he's he's a he's a mercenary. Like he's a guy that's here for one year and he didn't play the whole year, so now he can go play elsewhere. So like he's he's not probably feeling the same way you would if you're somebody that had been at a school for a long time. But moving forward, you're not gonna see many guys at the same place for a long stretch of time. Therefore, the again, this is just again I'm not telling anybody that they're wrong, because you can feel whatever way you want to feel. And I understand why people hate this, but this is this is where we are, and it's it's not gonna it's not going anywhere, all right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side, wrap up the four o'clock hour Halloween edition of Coffee and Company. I've got some Halloween stuff I want to get to on the other side, including some real lunatics out there when it comes to Halloween. I thought I was a big Halloween guy this year, really, but I can't match the Halloween vibes from some other people out there as far as what they spend, what they do. But hey, knock yourself out, quick break, keep a lock right here. On Sports Talk seven ninety I requested John play this song again. It was the song he was playing as we were going to break and what you heard at the beginning there. I don't know what it is. I mean, I know what it is, but like, I don't know why it gets me to this level, but it's like the most cringe thing I've ever heard in any song ever. I mean yeah, I mean I'm not even gonna try to like, I'm not even gonna do an impression of it because like it just my skin's crawling. Where were we, like, imagine we were somewhere it might have been, might have been at Churchill Downs. Of course, you know, we've done a handful of Halloween things this year with the kids, and obviously they're playing Halloween music and this one is perfect for it. But I'm just visualizing like being in the studio as they're putting this together John and like, I don't know if the guy who says that, if he's like heavily featured within the song, but like those are kind of like ad libs, right, like I ain't fraid of No Like I could you take yourself seriously doing that?
Speaker 1: I highly doubt that when they were writing the lyrics for the Ghostbusters theme song that that was a part of the initial like it had to be an ad lib, as you mentioned, I.
Speaker 3: Ain't freid of no ghost It just makes again, it makes my skin crawl. I don't know why did this.
Speaker 1: Movie come out, the original Ghostbuster?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, long before I was born. Feel liked, Well, maybe I was wrong.
Speaker 1: Because back when, like movie soundtracks and stuff, you know, have cringy music in general. I feel like, especially whenever there's a theme song and maybe part of the recording was like, let's just make this super corny but also fun at the same time.
Speaker 3: So Ghostbusters came out in nineteen eighty four, and I knew it was before I was born, because Ghostbusters is one of those movies. In fact, this is random as hell, But when Chris Mack came to Louisville, he brought Luke Murray with him. Obviously Luke Murray's father is Bill Murray, and you know, I knew Bill Murray was like a big deal. I'm well, but like my first memory of Bill Murray was when he was in Space Jam like that, because the biggest movies that he has done were either made before I was born or you know, I probably wasn't ol enough to watch him when they came out. I know who he is. It wasn't like I didn't know who he was. But like people would mention Ghostbusters, they've had mentioned Caddy Shack, and I still do this day defend myself because those are two movies I'd never seen and still haven't, and yet people acted as if like, you know, it's almost like my reaction to you, John when you don't put any dressing on your salad. You just eat lettuce or something like that. So but I fit, Like, again, think about it, it came out before I was born. We're not in a world now where like you can just fire up Netflix. So like, when would I have been in this situation where cause again my memory probably starts around four or five, right, so at that point, this movie is nine ten years old, so you know, I wasn't watching movies a whole lot when I was that age. So like, again, I've heard of it. It's a popular enough movie to where I know what it is. But like long story short, it's pretty understandable how I would never have seen it, you know what I mean? Like same thing with Caddyshack, Like I can know that it's popular, and just because I've heard of it, it's a legendary movie. But again, I would have had to going out of my way to like, hey, let's go to brenta VHS when I was eight nine years old. And that's just I meant. I wasn't doing that at that time. That's kind of like with with you, I tried to. I don't think of that story specifically, but there are times where I'm I hesitate because I want to say, oh, John, you don't know this, You've never heard a lot.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, this is the very first time that I feel like this happened. It was when I was part time. I was filling in for mister Matt Allen on the Morning Show and you were talking about the movie Friday. I'd never seen any of the Friday Its still haven't, like you mentioned earlier.
Speaker 3: And that's a great example because you know what it is, yes you're familiar with it, but especially I mean, that's that's a movie that like when you were a kid, even if you were you're you're younger, and it still has some you know, some popularity, like your parents probably wouldn't want watching it. It's great, are you know what I mean? So that's a perfect example. It actually is pretty plausible that you would have never been in a situation where you had seen the original movie because that came out when I was young. So yeah, that's that's actually the best example. To be honest with you real quick before we get to a break. You know, we were talking about the just visualizing somebody in the studio doing I ain't scared. I know, like the musicians who do some of these jingles are so talented, like some of the commercials you here on this station and elsewhere, you know, TV s, TV commercials and whatnot about like you know, like Charman, Charman you knowercially Yeah, yeah, Like props to those people one for being talented, but also like their craft, like they could have their own like they they seemingly have the ability to sing and perform. Now maybe they don't have the image, you know, may I don't know what it is, right, I would assume there's a ton of very talented musicians that never make it big, but like having the humility to go to go really get into it and show off your vocals and really just lay down a phenomenal performance in the recording booth, and you're singing about toilet paper that helps make sure you got your butt wiped good, Like the Sharman ones are like really high production value, but you know it's literally talking about why their toilet paper will get your butt cleaner than others. Like, you know, I think I think that speaks to somebody who realizes their talent and they're gonna make a living off of it. But they're they're not they're not too you know, they're not letting their ego get in the way.
Speaker 1: Clear if they'll take themselves too serious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like imagine walking in, like you're just randomly walking into a recording studio and you're hearing a phenomenal artist rather it be a vocalist or somebody doing I don't know, rapping whatever, and they're you know, it's just specifically about a corny it's a corny jingle for a product. Like again, I think that speaks to humility. That's just me though. All Right, we got another hour to go. We'll finish strong here. Five o'clock hour on a hallow edition of Coffee and Company is next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety