Speaker 1: All right, what's good.
Speaker 2: It's five time on a Thursday afternoon, about ten minutes past the hour of two o'clock.
Speaker 1: It is snowy, it is cold.
Speaker 2: According to forecast, the snow will let up in about one hour from right now. But our resorts are getting stomped and we are getting stomped down here in the valley and the benches, which is of course good for the folks that enjoy such things. But as it is every single day, it's gonna have you along for the ride. My name is Spence check its I host this radio program. That young man is Porter Larson. He produces it, does a lot of other things for too.
Speaker 1: Not just a producer.
Speaker 2: He books the guests and sometimes comes in with hot takes off the top rope. Maybe we'll get some hot takes from Porter today on a jam Pack Thursday show. The Utah Jazz will begin the second half of the NBA season taking on Oklahoma City coming up tomorrow, but the NBA is back out of in full force. Utah Hockey Club will be back in action on Saturday, but of course the hockey world is focused on the Four Nations Final tonight.
Speaker 1: Talk about that game.
Speaker 2: It is in Boston, a great domestic hockey city without the hockey history that Montreal has, but the diehard hockey fans out.
Speaker 1: In full force.
Speaker 2: We'll have the Four Nations Final matchup for you here on this radio station after the Craig Smith Coaches Show tonight, which will be in at six o'clock. So a lot of eyes, a lot of the ears, a lot of attention on the world of pro hockey tonight, so we'll get you ready for that game. We'll talk about that game on the program and then you can hear it on this little old radio station. RSL Cocky Caff Champions Cup nil nil your final down in Costa Rica. They'll be back in action this time for MLS play against San Jose on the road on Saturday. San Jose has a new player, a new striker. His name is Chico Arongo played here last year, so RSL will have to deal with Chicho on the other side coming up on Saturday, and then back in action Lake two of the Cocky Caff Champions Cup coming up next week here in Salt Lake. The home opener for RSL is against Seattle a week Saturday, So a little soccer on the program today, kind of a quiet time right now in the world of pro football. A trend is taking place in the world of college football. I want to talk about today as Texas and usc have announced that they are the latest programs to cancel their spring games. Is that something that we're going to see kind of widespread across the world of college football. I believe that the answer to that is Jeff Steve Sarkeesian got a new contract today. He will be paid very handsomely after a great, great stretch last year in college football.
Speaker 1: We will give you the latest with.
Speaker 2: The conference commissioners meeting, namely Greg sank and Tony Petiti because it was excuse me, only the SEC in the Big ten, no Big twelve rep, no acc rep, no group of five rep. A lot of rumors and some things that we actually do know tangibly coming out of that meeting. So, of course, as the home of the Utes in a college football market, we have one on college football at the time. The Utah State Aggie's absolutely curb stomped San Jose State last night. Utah stayed in the middle of a really nice college basketball run. Do some college basketball on the show today, have a great college basketball guest as we are high speed ahead to March and so busy on a Thursday with a good guest list for you guys. Starting out with Andy Larson covers the Utah Jazz for the Salt Lake Tribune. Do some jazz, We'll do some NBA hoops, We'll do some maybe a little RSL at the time allows for that guy, Andy Larson. Today, Ken Pom Ken Pomeroy. I had a nephew last year asked me what is a Ken Pom because he was watching college basketball coverage. And if you're watching a college basketball coverage, anyone in the know will reference the work of Ken Pomeroy and his website is Kenpom dot com. So if you're watching Sports Center or a college basketball show and you hear them say, well, they're thirty first in the Ken Pom, which is what BYU is right now, that's because of the work of our guy, Kenmroy, one of the most respected college basketball minds out there. We're gonna bring Ken in today to talk some Utah hoops, to talk some BYU hoops, Utah State Aggies as well, and then big picture college basketball with Ken Pomroy on the program. Am and El Hassen makes his time for return of the show for your NBA Daily Assists today. I Mean is a guy I've known for a long long time. He was in the Knicks front office, the Sun's front office.
Speaker 1: He's been in media now for about fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Has a number of different podcasts, does a bunch of work with the Lebtard group down in South Beach there.
Speaker 1: So we'll bring a mean on today. Then we'll do a little.
Speaker 2: Sports court with our guys from the law firm of Handy and Handy. So a busy show on a Thursday afternoon, Andy Larson, Ken Pomeroy, Amino Hassen, little sports court today, we'll say good night and time for the Craig Smith Coaches Show coming up at six o'clock tonight. And then at seven o'clock tonight you'll hear the remainder of the Four Nations Final matchup between Canada and the US. Andy Larson, Ken, pomroy A, Mino Hassen, he Spence check at all of you the great listeners, Guy Porter Larson on a Thursday afternoon, what you have a Four Nations Final hot take right out of the gates.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I don't think I pay enough attention to Canada or USA hockey to give you an actual hot take.
Speaker 1: Here's here's one.
Speaker 3: There're gonna be two breaks during the game that are gonna go too long. I'm gonna get sidetracked. Uh, and then I'm gonna forget it's happening. But I'm gonna dial in for the end of it. Hopefully, hopefully Team USA pols it down.
Speaker 2: That is not a hot take. That is a prediction that will absolutely happen.
Speaker 3: I listen, and I know I'm gonna have to get used to it. We've got hockey in the market now. It is still the one thing.
Speaker 1: I know. It's a me problem.
Speaker 3: I know it's an ADHD problem, but it's it's almost like the All Star Game we saw on Sunday, minus the bad basketball. Every game where you take those breaks and for someone like me, man, yeah, you forget, you forget. You're watching hockey, not tonight though not tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I understand.
Speaker 2: My higher thing with any sport I watch is it has to be on the DVR, and so I turn off all my alerts, okay, and I let the game kind of run. It helps with hockey, yeah, and it helps with everything I can get through an NBA game in like an hour. Get through an NFL game and like an hour and a half. Or college football. Unless I'm attending a game, I do not watch it live at home. I am on the DVR because I cannot stand the breaks and the commercials are it'd be one thing that the commercials are entertaining.
Speaker 1: They're not. They're just boring and they're too long.
Speaker 3: Well, and part of me like feels a little guilty for it, Like, oh, you know what if I was in nineteen sixty when I couldn't re fast forward through a baseball game. Well, in nineteen sixty they sat down and watched a baseball game and didn't have an hour of commercials during it, right, So I don't know, we're we're adjusting it.
Speaker 2: Well, in in nineteen sixty, we didn't have seventy five different things to take our attention away from whatever else we're watching at every single moment. Oh it's a commercial, Twitter, Instagram, social media. Oh it's a commercial email. I'm gonna flip over and watch Severance for a minute because I losted it exactly. It's ridiculous, man, Like, we are a society that has an attention span issue. And I'm not judging because I'm one of them. But we try to stay focused on this show for you guys, four hours every afternoon.
Speaker 1: Except I just messed all that up.
Speaker 2: Yeah you did. Thanks a lot of pout, all right. Andy larsh is our first guest right out of the gates. But before we get to Andy, on a Thursday, courteousy of our good friends at Burt Brothers, it is time now for your opening tip, all right. With over thirty years of experience in nearly thirty locations, Burt Brothers, as certified technicians, bring expertise and professionalism to every interaction industry, leading warranties and low price tier guarantees. It's a one stop shop for reliable repairs and maintenance, from tires and alignments to fluids and breaks, offering a full range of automotive services tailored to meet your needs. Now offering value tire options such as Americus and Summit Tires starting at just sixty nine dollars with warranties they go up to seventy thousand miles. As one of the few Triple A certified shops in Utah, Burt Brothers upholds the highest standards in automotive service stopped by Burt Brothers or Tirebuster's locations, or schedule an appointment today to experience trusted service. It has made them a Utah favorite for over three decades. Burt Brothers doing it better since day one. More information can be found online at Burt Brothers dot com. All Right, we are a young hockey market. We are a market that is learning to embrace this new sport. We certainly have a lot of hockey fans that have lived here for a long time because hockey is not new to this market. Shout out to the Golden Eagles Salt Palace way back in the day. Obviously the Grizzlies. A lot of people here have watched hockey for a long time. NHL hockey is what's new here and it's been a lot of fun. I think it's still a remarkable accomplishment that the Smith Entertainment Group pulled off with just basically weeks of notice. You know, we had Gary Bettman on our show prior to the announcement of the club actually coming here. Gary stop by the commissioner of the NHL, and he dropped on us the tidbit that the first conversation he had with Ryan about this whole thing was in March, and they were able to pull it off by like may I mean, it was wild and while the learning curve certainly has been a little bit uncomfortable at times, and that building is not built for hockey yet, it's a really fun thing and a really cool experience for me as a media member to be able to cover this sport that I've watched since I was a kid and been around growing up in the Northeast, which is kind of like the hockey footprint domestically. It's been fun, and the Utah Hockey Club I think has a lot of exciting things ahead of it. It's a very young team, it's a front office that's savvy and smart. It's an ownership group that has shown they're willing to spend, and they have draft capital and they have cap flexibility. In a way, it's kind of a lot like the Jazz, I would say the Hockey Club. The Utah Hockey Club is further along in their rebuild than the Utah Jazz, but in fairness, they've been doing it five. This is like year five of Bill Armstrong's kind of project, and he's been very clear to let everybody know like temper those expectations because we got a young group and they expedouted it with a couple of different signings with some vets. Sergachev namely Mikhel Sergachev brought in. He was a Stanley Cup winner. He's still a young player, but a really good locker room guy that has shown he has a chance to be one of the leaders of this group for a long long time. So the world of hockey right now is receiving attention that a lot of people feel like is very unprecedented, and I think it's really interesting because US Canada in hockey is not a new thing, and US Canada playing for big time championships and medals, that's not a new thing. We had the US Canada gold medal game here in two thousand and two for the Salt Lake Olympic Games. I remember I was working as one of the venue managers for the Salakeuyce Center. We had short track speed skating, which is of course a Polo Antonoo sport, who is kind of the biggest star of those games.
Speaker 1: We had figure skating in our venue.
Speaker 2: Of course, the Russian judge scandal that rocked the world, but the ability in the chance to go see USA Canada in hockey in the gold medal game was one of the most exciting things I've ever experienced. And you can already feel that tonight is something substantial now.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've listened all morning the couple of different hockey podcasts we had Neil Smith on yesterday as the Four Nations face off final is tonight. Reminder you can hear it on ESPN seven hundred following the Craigsmith Coaches Show. And topically, it's reminded me a little bit of the way that people talk about soccer when the US actually has a decent team, or US Mexico, which is the rivalry that our US men's national team has, it's more intense than any other whenever there's like a big time seminal soccer event. The World Cup back in the day, I think it was ninety four was in the United States, which kind of led to the implementation of Major League Soccer, which just turned thirty or is turning thirty this year. The World Cup cycle, which is in our region coming up not too long from now. Everybody's talking about this is the seminal moment for soccer and what does it mean for soccer moving forward. I don't know what the four nations face off means for hockey moving forward, but I think it's interesting to listen to people break this down and PK Suban, who's been on the coverage for ESPN he's live in Boston, took an opportunity this morning to really take the NBA to task and utilize pro hockey as kind of a template for you as the consumer. If you actually want to watch a game, and you actually want to watch a sport where the players give a rip about their craft, you cannot find it more intensely then you will find it in the world of professional hockey. And the great thing about a matchup like tonight is you have players playing for the flag and the country and not necessarily a paycheck or their brands. It's one of the things that still makes the Olympics great right whenever an Olympic cycle takes place, whether it's winter game, summer games, it's fun to watch people who clearly are playing and performing for the flag that they're representing, as opposed to, you know, just trying to make another buck or trying to get more followers or influence on your social media channels and if we're honest, that's what pro basketball has become. And so you know, we'll see if this talking point, this selling point that everybody who's excited for the four Nations face off final tonight actually comes to fruition if there are any NBA fans out there that are disenfranchised by a product that employees employees that don't take their job seriously, watch what happens tonight. I mean, hockey players play through injuries. They play like the Kochuck brothers were both interviewed after the news came down that they had some upper body injury issues and they're both are like, well, yeah, we're hurt, but we're still playing coming up on Thursday.
Speaker 1: We wouldn't miss this.
Speaker 2: And I do think there is an absolute lesson that the NBA could take from the NHL when it comes to commitment to your craft, understanding why you do what you do. You do what you do for the people who support you, namely the consumers who buy tickets and the consumers who watch your games. Hockey players take that seriously and they always have and they're My experience with them is they are, for the most part, tremendous human beings that are good members of the community and care about what they do and want to do what they do at the highest of levels for the people that are tuning in, and I think it makes tonight really really interesting or really exciting.
Speaker 1: You know, Boston is a great hockey city.
Speaker 2: Domestically, we don't have the history of hockey that Canada has. Canada is the winninges hockey country there is. I do think they'll expand the four nations moving forward now that they've seen how awesome this is. I think Germany's gonna be involved. Russia on paper should be involved, but hey, you know, we'll leave that to the side. You guys understand why Russia has not been invited and probably won't be for a little while.
Speaker 1: But this should be a fun one tonight.
Speaker 2: So Connor Hellabuck has thought to be the best goalie in the world right now, he's the US goalie and he'll be between the pipes. Both of these teams have great goalies now. Jordan Binnington. He's a bit of a polarizing guy, and I wouldn't be stunned by the way if the two goalies fight each other tonight. I don't think we're going to see like three fights right off the jump, like before we're even seeing any skating. Because when it comes to like a Stanley Cup final or a final like this, where a trophy is on the line and it's best first best, your best players cannot spend time in the penalty box. That's why you don't see a ton of fighting when there's actually something on the line tangible to play for. So I'd be surprised if either the Kachuck brothers drop their gloves.
Speaker 1: They need to be on the ice.
Speaker 2: But Jordan Biddington was the goalie for the Saint Louis Blues in twenty nineteen, and that year he went into Boston and led the Blues to a game seven win and a Stanley Cup. So Jordan Bidnington knows what that crowd is like tonight. I'll be anxious to see what the crowd looks like. As far as the split between Canada fans and US fans, the ticket prices have absolutely skyrocketed as a result of the attention that this tournament has received. Now, according to vivid Seats, the average listed price for the four Nations face Off Championship game has skyrocketed by one hundred and thirty seven percent since the US and Canada first faced off on Saturday the fifteenth, jumping from nine hundred and ninety dollars. This is your average ticket price. That's what it was on the fifteenth. As of today, your average ticket price is two thousand, four hundred and fifty dollars. There are rumors that very good NHL players have inquired about getting tickets and they've been turned away. So it will be a sellout. It will be loud, it will be intense. If you've never watched hockey tonight, I would tune in and watch this game, and if you're driving around town running errands, make sure to keep it here so you can hear it the intensity in hockey games like this. There's something I've said this earlier in the season when I was interviewing Neil There's something about like hockey documentaries. There are a lot of great ones about like enforcers. The Avalanche Red Wings documentary that's out on ESPN thirty for thirty is a phenomenal watch. There's a different level of intensity with hockey that I think, honestly speaking, is unmatched on stages like this, and you'll feel it when you tune in tonight.
Speaker 1: So it's at six o'clock.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: Utah Jazz are in action tomorrow. Gokse is the opponent. The second half of the NBA season kind of got gone last night.
Speaker 1: Lakers have lost.
Speaker 2: Now excuse me to the Jazz and the Hornets back to back games with Luca and Lebron. Our next guest covers the Jazz and other things for the Saul Lake Tribune on a Thursday afternoon. We welcome in Andy Larson, Andy, Happy Thursday, buddy.
Speaker 1: How are we doing?
Speaker 5: I'm good man, How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good? I was beer bar last night. Most important question.
Speaker 2: The RSL Conker CAF Champions Cup watch party vibes immaculate.
Speaker 1: As the kids say, the vibe are good.
Speaker 5: You know, Look it was not a strongly attended watch party. They're probably I don't know ten fifteen RSL fans player, but to watch a nil Mill draw and where nothing happened, and so I would say the vibes were were probably pretty mid.
Speaker 4: Let's be honest.
Speaker 1: Mid vibes at beer bar. Wow, don't sell rimando.
Speaker 6: Look, beer bar.
Speaker 5: Had nothing to do with this. This is it's it's it's a great location to watch a game. But yeah, I mean nil mill with in a it was. It was not the peak of watch parties like you and I have been too.
Speaker 1: For example, fair enough, fair enough.
Speaker 2: So after that performance, have you changed your expectations for better or for worse for this club this year?
Speaker 5: I mean, I guess a little bit worse. Look, Coasta Recan teams aren't very good, and ideally you would be promoting more ideas and having better chances than I think RSL had during that match. And I mean I watched the Cincinnati Motagua match after that. That's the hun Duran club and they just they you know, Cincinnati bought that game, and to a degree that ARSOL didn't now didn't have Diego Luna, didn't have Justin Glad for most of that game, you know, And the biggest thing is they didn't have a striker. And then unfortunately, Gioga Gonsalves looked as average as he's been since RSOL acquired him. And so I think that in particular that last note, that Diogo doesn't look like a special or even in year two. As we start year two, and maybe we'll see how this develops. It's game one for sure, but it was as they put it on Twitter kind of mildly dishart names.
Speaker 2: Last RSL question, I am told that reinforcements should be expected. I don't know when. I don't know what it looks like. What do you hope it looks like? And when do you hope it comes down?
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, it's got to be a striker and Eliath Manuel didn't want to come to RSL again. It's disappointing that a replacement hasn't been found more quickly, you know, given that now you are playing in Champions League play, Champions Cup play. I guess it's disappointing frankly that they didn't find a bigger player after they knew that the teacher was going to be moving on, you know, pretty clearly midway through the season. They had knew what that situation was and knew that maybe that wasn't going to be tenable moving forward. So yeah, look, it's got to be a sector. It's got to be a good striker. It's got to be you know, a designated player striker in my mind, and or at least you know, someone who's got significant history of scoring goals in this league. You know, there's been the Duncan McGuire rumors, and maybe that's the way they go. And I think Duncan's a very good player and would solve a lot of those problems. I don't know about it at the DP level, but yeah, and in the end, you know, this team needs more upfront to be one of the best teams in the Western Conference. Like I hope they will be all.
Speaker 2: Right all Star weekend? Andy, goodness, gracious, what was your interest slash consumption level and your takeaways?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, honestly, pretty lowly. Tried to take some time off and but you know, it also just seems like the exact the exact opposite of must watch television, right, Like even in the sports world that I you know, love watching sports, Like why is an average sports fan watching the NBA All Star Game with its tournament and all of it's Kevin Hart skit and you know, giving awards to Charles Barkley and the inside the inside the NBA T and T crew when that show is still going to continue next year just on ESPN. No one cares what channel this is on. To turn you know, thirty minutes of basketball into a three hour presentation is rough. And so yeah, like the DAYTOTA five hundred, frankly may have been more interesting to watch for me. I had dinner with my family and did not feel like I was missing a whole lot of what was happening on All Star Sunday. You know, I think Mac mcclugg does some cool dunks on on All Ftairs Saturday, and you know, Stefan Castle did as well, and that was I think a relatively above average dunk contest. But yeah, it's just not must watch anymore. And I think, you know, that's the league of problem that all these leagues are facing, is that, like the traditional All Star game format doesn't work anymore. And ultimately, you know, I think kind of the further you get away from that traditional kind of idea, whether that be you know, what the NFL has done with the Pro Bowl or what the NHL has done with the Four Nations Tournament, it's probably the best way to go at this point.
Speaker 1: So are you old enough to remember when the All Star Game was fun?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah for sure. I mean I remember being a big part of growing up, being like eight, nine, ten years old and watching the All Star Game and it seems really fun and cool then right, like it seems like these superheroes in my brain, and some of that's just because I was a kid. But we're coming together and playing in this this game. You know that that had everyone I had ever heard of in it, right, So yeah, you know, it was better to look And it wasn't amazing. It's not like they were killing each other out there, but it was it was significantly, significantly more real than what we was doing over the last five and ten years.
Speaker 2: Do you have any ideas to make it, you know, consumable, because ultimately I understand your point about other leagues and dealing with their All Star stuff, and but the Pro Bowl was never good, Like the Pro Bowl was never good, And the NBA All Star Game for like thirty years was the best pick up all you know, pick up basketball game that you could find in the world because the best players showed up and played high level basketball. So whenever ask anyone asks me like, what's your preferred format, my preferred format is the All Star Game with players who give a rip. That's my preferred format. But I don't think that we're ever getting back there. Is there a format idea, whatever it is that you've heard that you think makes this thing redeemable or is it just time to eat our crow and understand that this is not anything that's ever going to be exciting ever.
Speaker 5: Again, I haven't heard of one that I think makes a real difference, you know, like if you they've done so many they've tried so many things, right, Like the one that gets me is that they you know, literally said gave you know, I think it was five hundred thousand dollars to the winner of the game to charity. And in fact, they in Cleveland, they brought kids who were food insecure, who were actually needed food from the food bank, sat them in they you know, lower bowl, very obvious section, a group of what twenty thirty kids, I don't know what the actual number was, and said we will give the food bank five hundred thousand dollars if you win this game. And the game still sucks, Like, I don't know what you do with that level of player, you know, disassociation from it being a quality product, and like I you know, yeah, you can kind of play around the edges with the elm ending and you and the tournament and you know, make it look worse so that hey, and some of these games are playing rising stars players and maybe they're trying to establish their name and so play a little bit harder. But like in the end, the rising stars didn't play that hard either, right, Like, it's not like they were really defending. They just want to be cool. And when you have the incentives that the NBA currently does, where most of the All Stars are making between thirty and sixty million dollars a year, you know, paying them eat a million dollars if they win also doesn't really cut it, you know. I think we've seen that with some with the play in tournament and.
Speaker 6: You know, home court.
Speaker 5: Advantage in the NBA finals. Let's say, I don't think really cuts it, because we see teams tank out of those positions you after year or just not you know, maybe not tank but load manage out of those positions you after year because they think, hey, being the third seed or the fourth seed in the playoffs is fine compared to being the first seed. It just doesn't matter that much who hosts that game Southern at the end of the series. So I'm fresh out of ideas. I haven't heard anything that's that interesting to me. And ultimately, I think that just like the incentives of the league that the league is too big right now for these guys to care about this because they are are already stars and just don't have that much to gain from trying really hard in the All Star Game.
Speaker 2: So, p K Suban, you know the Four Nations Finals tonight, Canada taking on the US.
Speaker 1: It's on our station.
Speaker 2: After the Craigsmith Coaches Show, he went on a couple of different platforms today. On ESPN, he was doing the rounds and he just eviscerated NBA players and he utilized his platform as an opportunity to express to consumers. If you are interested in watching a sport, if you are interested in watching a game where the league employs people that actually care about their craft, and I'm paraphrasing, of course, you should watch hockey.
Speaker 1: Because hockey players play through injuries.
Speaker 2: They play for the flag tonight and for their club as opposed to simply individual glory. And it's pretty unanimous, man Like, it's pretty much across the board, whether you're talking about Connor McDavid or or you know one of the local guys here, Dylan gun Through. It is a different brand of athlete, it's a different brand of care. Do you think that's something that people in the NBA could maybe learn a thing or two from as far as the commitments to their craft that hockey players have, or is this just a cultural societal thing that it is what it is, and if you're covering pro basketball, you just have to deal with what this thing has become, which is a product oftentimes played by players that don't seem to give that much of a rip.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think it's a mix of balls. And I think like the NBA players not caring generally is kind of overstated. Like Kevin Durant, did you watch that Court of Gold documentary?
Speaker 1: I did. It was awesome, It was awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Kevin Durant cried about the idea of playing in the Olympics, right, like and that in that documentary and it clearly meant a ton to him, right And Like KD is not someone who I think is like an outlier in terms of caring about the game. Like I thought it was really clear that the Olympics really mattered to those players and to a huge degree. And so I think, like the Four Nations tournament being at the sets in the NHL level is reflective of kind of those same things that we we did actually see from NBA players in the Olympics, right, And I think we could see in kind of a tournament similar to four nations in the NBA. I also think that you're right that, like clearly there's a pride in playing through injury that hockey players have that NBA players don't. I would also say that, like frankly, that happens more on the team side, and I put more blame on the team putting out the injury report than the players. I mean, look, I've been in these jazz locker rooms or on you know, jazz shoot arounds whatever all year long and watches kind of the training staff and these team representatives come up to players and essentially say, hey, you know, how serious is this injury? Hey, maybe we should take this one, you know, be cautious about this. Maybe you should sit these next couple of games out Like while the players have those conversations and are not happy about them, right, Like would prefer to be playing those games. I mean, like John Collins is sitting you know, had that in the last few weeks with a fake injury, would rather be playing out there. Larie Markinen would rather be playing.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: And it's just the team that is preventing them from doing so. And I think that to me is like, Okay, you need to change the incentives of the sport a little bit. Where in hockey, you know, for whatever reason, those seven game series are not foregone conclusions, even when it's a one seed versus the seed. I mean, we've seen eight seeds make tremendous runs for the NHL playoffs in a way that we just have not seen NBA playout. The NBA eight seeds make those runs generally, you know, with a couple of exceptions. It feels like upsets are much more common in the NHL, and it you know, again, those games seems to individually matter. But like I do think that, I mean maybe overstate of maybe Pkseubun overstates a little bit, like the player side of everything that's not the All Star Game. I will absolutely blame the All Star Game on the players. I don't necessarily blame a whole lot of what we see in the NBA on the players exclusively because I know how much the teams are involved in not getting the best product every night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think PK was probably utilizing the moment to make a larger point to get more people to tune into hockey, and a lot of it was performative, but I think a lot of points that were made are very fair And yeah, and you're not wrong ultimately to bring in the dynamic of not just teams but the league. And I always bring up agents behind the scenes wanting their clients to get to that second, third, fourth, sometimes fifth contract of your Chris Paul to make generational. Well, I get the game, but has the league simply become andy a Fortune five hundred company that is only caring about creating value for their shareholders? Like it feels like the league is run like a and it's always been a business. David Stern was a hardcore businessman, but David actually got the media game and the consumer game a little bit differently than this. You know, this office under Adam Silver seems to get. Is it just now that this league is simply about creating as much value for their shareholders as possible and it's just being run like a tech company.
Speaker 5: Frankly, yes, I'd agree with with all of that. And I think the kind of too big to fail idea does apply to the NBA a little bit right now, where you know, the the despite the TV ratings being what they are, you know, kind of mid whatever. The TV deal is tripling over the in the next contract, right like, they are assured so much money and so much revenue at the team level and at the player level that you know, frankly, teams back in the eighties, right like the Jazz were a million dollars away from going bankrupt at any given time, right like, and now they are incredibly flush with cash. And and even if a team tank, even if a team tanks, or even if the Jazz didn't sell sell out the Delta Center that's going to be signed for them, it doesn't make a big deal, you know, they they will still make a profit and the value of the franchise will continue to go up because the league has been so successful in running it well as a business, in ensuring that every team throughout the league makes a profit. And you know, that good business sense. And I'm sure the thirty owners appreciate Adam Silver for you know, making moves in that direction. But it does just remove a lot of the stakes of the competition, especially from the team side. And so yeah, as a result, I think you do see all of these things that you know, the tanking and load management and all these kind of anti consumer kind of results of that, consequences of that that weren't there in the eighties and nineties because profit was, you know, the kind of way more aligned with the product out there on the floor.
Speaker 2: I can't tell you how many buddies are I have that are lifelong NBA fans that are just like disenfranchised with the whole thing.
Speaker 1: It's just I don't know.
Speaker 2: But to your point, you know, they'll email you their P and L statement with their middle finger and say, what's our problem?
Speaker 1: Like, We're doing fine, and I get it.
Speaker 2: One more question in this space and then we'll do a little jazz before I say you lose. What's your opinion on? And I'm not a Lebron hater. I've sounded like it this week, but I'm not. I mean, I don't know that we have an example of another athlete that was anointed at the age of like sixteen or seventeen, who lived up to every expectation and superseded most of them. The story of Lebron James is phenomenal and always will be.
Speaker 1: But you know, I'm watching.
Speaker 2: The intros and they I think it was on Shacksog team and they introduced every player, and then they go to Lebron and he's in street clothes and we all find out like he's not playing. Now, there are a lot of ideas we're having. Amina El Hassen on coming up in the four o'clock hour his podcast with Tom Haberstrow Basketball Luminati. Their theory is he was silently protesting the young players playing on Sunday. I do not have my tinfoil hat on like that. But my issue with it, Andy is this, And I've never loved clauses and contracts that award All Star appearances or give you a bonus if you win a postseason award, because the process at times is arbitrary and it messes with people's money. All Lebron had to do was let somebody know he wasn't gonna play. They could have named his replacement, and that player could have had a clause exercise in his contract where he makes a couple hundred grand like if I'm a player that had the opportunity to potentially step in as a replacement. And Lebron pulled that act that was continued by always Questionable for the hornest game. No, he's not like he was playing like obviously, So I had a real issue with the way he approached what he did over the weekend.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts, I'm worth dealing.
Speaker 5: I feel like you kind of covered it. Lebron absolutely should have said that he was if he didn't want to play or didn't feel, you know, like that he was going to play, should have said something earlier. So demonts the bonus could have been in that game, and frankly honestly did it with Anthony Edwards, who also did not play for an injury. If we're you know, we should be fired of both of those guys that if we criticized one and criticize the other. I if they if they didn't want to play, if they felt that their participation was at risk, they should have told the league earlier. And again, a deserving All Star would have got gotten to play in the game.
Speaker 4: I yeah, have.
Speaker 5: A I have a significant problem with that.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it doesn't mean I'm a Lebron at or it doesn't mean I'm an Anthony Edward. Peter. Uh, It's just it's.
Speaker 4: Just, you know, not cool.
Speaker 2: I did not mean to take the good points with that was embedded into my question, Andy, I just know you're a smart guy and you could bounce off of it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, like it's just a bad look. Uh.
Speaker 2: Is there anything and this is me reaching for a topic. Is there anything Keanta can take away from that weekend? I mean, I suppose if you're going to be around your peers and they're the players in the world, that has to be a good thing, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, probably, I mean probably. I'm interested in talking about this. So the jazz practice at three o'clock, so really quite soon here, and then once they're done with practice, we'll go over and talk to both Kiante and I think we're talking to Lowry market In as well after practice, and I will ask him that question because I'm curious too. Yeah, what he took away from it? I kind of wonder if like playing as reasonably well as he did in the Rising Stars and even on Sunday like may give him kind of a boost of confidence. But yeah, well I'm curious to see what he says. I don't guess. I guess I don't want to put words into his mouth in and I am just going to ask him about it in an hour and a half.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, all right, do you want to give me a hot Jaden Springer take. I guess Jazz fansher at least get to know the new player on the roster.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's a ten ten day guys who's going to be on the game and the on the team for the next five games.
Speaker 7: I believe it is.
Speaker 5: And then but yeah, I mean kind of has struggled to find a consistent role in Boston and Philadelphia can defend a little bit. We'll see kind of. Yeah, if if he gets playing time over the likes of Johnny Jusing, etcetera. I you know, if everyone's healthy, I'm I'm curious which way will Hardy will go with that? But yeah, you know he's the fifteenth man on the roster.
Speaker 2: All right, before I say you lose make the final what twenty eight games? I believe it is the final twenty eight games for the Jazz. Make it interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, look, it's the same thing as we've done all year, right, Like it's whether or not the young guys are building blosstore if they if you feel comfortable kind of jettising them for a shot another player like the Jazz did with out tragic Boji last year. Right, So you know it is there something there with Bryce Sensaba or is there not? Is there something there with Cody Williams? Can he show, frankly anything, how you know, can I say improved, continue to improve his shooting percentages? Can you know, Keyante George figure out kind of be how to be an impact player when his shot isn't going in. I think there are opportunities for them to show those things. And you know, it's it's this is the most boring cliche in the world, but it is about stacking days. It is about like playing well in not just one game out of you know, ten, but one game out of two, and then kind of working to improve consistency. So like, I'm watching that stuff and we'll be reporting on that in my in my articles.
Speaker 1: A up team.
Speaker 2: We got a stacking days drop for Andy Larson. My man was down in provo listening to Kevin Young.
Speaker 1: Weren't you?
Speaker 5: I was, Do you see Kevin recognize me in that press conference? I thought that was kind of funny.
Speaker 2: I did not see that, but I'm happy for you that our guy Kevin Young recognized you.
Speaker 1: Did you have You've been.
Speaker 5: Watching too many NBA games with a question like that. I was like, Yeah, maybe I'm out of my depth.
Speaker 4: Peer.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if you know this, but Kevin spent some time in the NBA. If you didn't know that, all you gotta do is ask him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and everyone else around the program too.
Speaker 4: But hey, look, I actually.
Speaker 5: That was fun.
Speaker 1: Oh dude, it was amazing.
Speaker 5: And uh just yeah, the degree to which b way you tore apart canvas. You know. I was coming in expecting a good game, but not a eviserration like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Ken Palms Live and Studio coming up next, Andy, So we're gonna let you go enjoy the weekend.
Speaker 1: Will chat soon. Thanks buddy, and you.
Speaker 2: Lars covers the Utah Jazz for The Solid Tribune writes a data column really interesting piece up that Andy did on Daylight Savings, smart kid man whatever, Andy right, writes, I like to read because he's kind of a north star for us.
Speaker 1: So I appreciate Andy time today.
Speaker 2: We'll be there for a second stop, but I have to learn when it's this whole era and genre of the punk pop, we can't sing, so we're just gonna yell a lot of aggressive pauses there, So I had.
Speaker 3: To wait let him breathe a little bit. This is a good one for that, that question I have for you the other day. I think two fives aged well, they're still they're still pretty good.
Speaker 1: But it's definitely one of those.
Speaker 3: Bands that I listened to a lot, maybe early two thousands that don't doesn't get much run anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Food Fighters is aged well.
Speaker 2: I saw them in concert here last year Ken Pomeroy's live in studio.
Speaker 1: Do you mind if I ask you al you are? Yeah, yeah, fifty two.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're a little bit older than I am, but you remember obviously the nineties. That's like the deal we grew up. We're both Jet xers. Porter asked me this week. I thought it was a good question. How has the music that you liked in the nineties aged? And I think it's fair depending on the artists. I mean, any do you still listen to the music now, Ken, that you did in the nineties.
Speaker 8: I do, sadly, I do, you know. I tried to stay up with the times and in a number of different ways, but music has not been one of them. Big Food Fighters guy, by the way, for sure, Like, yeah, it's I think it's aged pretty well.
Speaker 1: But then they released some newer stuff right kind of. Yeah, they did not too long ago. Yeah, I wasn't a big pan of that.
Speaker 2: No, when I was at the show, I was just waiting for them to get to you know, the stuff they did in the nineties and then you know, right when the decade turned, they had a couple of good albums as well. Nobody listens to us for our music takes Ken, So I appreciate your time, Ken Pomroy live in studio. As my nephew once asked me, Uncle Spence, what is a Ken palm? Well, a Ken palm is the man sitting across from me. So if you're watching Sports Center, if you're watching college basketball shows and they say team is thirty first in the Ken palm, which BYU is right now, it's the work of our guy, Ken Pomeroy. So let's start with what was just a stunning game. As Brigham Young dog walked Kansas, I mean, I'm texting with my brothers who went to Byu. I'm like, Dad, they might beat him by forty. I was as unimpressed with Kansas Ken as I was impressed with Byu. Let's start with that game. I mean, I don't know, surprise, like, what were your takeaways. You were down there at the game.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I'm more fascinated by the Kansas situation than the BYU situation. Out of that game, it was, yeah, as you said, pretty stun just the way they lost. Obviously, Kansas was coming off the loss to Utah, which was not necessarily stunning, but certainly surprising, and just.
Speaker 1: Had no juice at BYU.
Speaker 8: You know, we talked about this off the air, but you know Bill salv right now, he's running a line about there that has a four and a five that basically don't shoot. So the space thing's a little bit of a problem. And in that game, he decided to start up the four and the five and then also his back up four, so he had three guys in the starting line they couldn't shoot.
Speaker 1: He just leaned into this, you know, nineteen eighties style.
Speaker 8: Basketball, and they got off to a terrible start and it just got got worse from there.
Speaker 2: So and it's funny, you say, the Kansas side of this is a little bit more interesting topically because the day after the game, I listened to three different college football podcasts.
Speaker 1: Gary Parrish has one up. Gary's the front of the show.
Speaker 2: So I listened to him, and all of them started with what the hell is going on with Kansas? As opposed to giving BYU their flowers? So I'll ask you what the hell is going on with Kansas? Bill Sell Well of twenty two years. His first twenty years, he never lost six league games, eight league losses. Last year already at seven. Zeke Mayo, AJ Storr, Ryland Griffin. Their three transfers, Zeke has played well, the other two haven't been great. What what's going on?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: This does not look like the bluest of blue bloods in the Big twelve, which by definition they very much are.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, well, yeah, you kind of nailed it there.
Speaker 8: He's missed on some transfers, didn't have a great, you know, freshman class coming in, relying on some extent to Hunter Dickinson, their you know, fifty year center, who is you know, he's a fine player, but again more of not necessarily a most dynamic center out there. And so that's all kind of led to this situation where, you know, their offense really struggles. They don't shoot a lot of threes, but on top of that, they don't get to the free throw line at all, which is a pretty awful combination. Like usually teams that you know rely on a couple of post players are going to get some free throws. I didn't see what the final total was the other night. I think kas had like maybe five free throw at times. They might have got some more in garbage time, but it was pretty it was pretty ugly. And so if you're just scoring two at a time, you have to be really good at that. And yeah, they were two for five from the freedom.
Speaker 1: Line, so I didn't realize that that's wild.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so it's just a it's an awful combination. And their defense is still pretty good. It was not good against BYU. It was that was there by far their worst defensive game of the year. Their defense, though generally has been pretty solid. They lead the Big twelve and two point percentage defense, which is a great sign for your defense. But offensively they just are are you know, not good enough to reliably hang with the best teams in the league.
Speaker 2: So I did not know that their defense normally is good because against BYU it was atrocious. I mean, look, if Trevinell couldn't shoot it, he'd be blogging for Kassel about BYU basketball. He's like twenty seven, and it's the one thing he does, and he does it very well. He scored a thousand points, he's now in their top five and three point field goals made.
Speaker 1: And my man was wide open.
Speaker 2: And I think even the look on his face, I didn't know if Kansas was going to his own because Trevin would just run to the corner and you kind of look around. He's like, I'm wide open. Just throw it to me and I'll shoot it. So they didn't check the player in Trevinell where the one sentence on the scattering report is make him put it on the deck because he can only shoot it. I thought Richie made some tough shots. But how much of that blowout was BYU executing what Kevin wants them to run? How much of it was Kansas simply ignoring really good shooters?
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, you know, you played really well. I don't want to downplay that.
Speaker 8: You know, you don't beat a Kansas team by thirty, you know, when you're just playing average ball. But there were certainly some major breakdowns by Kansas defensively, And I mean by you put that kind of pressure on a defense, you know, they do have that great space and they do have shooters in the corners. You know, most of the time they're gonna have you know, four or five shooters on the floor, so they just you know, and they have great size as well, so you know, there's a lot going in BYU's favor, and they do put pressure on a defense, and there were just a number of breakdowns guarding you know, pick and roll by Kansas that led to those open threes. But again, to be all, you deserve that credit. They were able to put that kind of pressure on a defense and the defense is not up to it, and they can make them look pretty bad. And I do want to point out, you know, this little factoid. So BYU made sixty two thirds of its two point attempts twenty for thirty and that's the best two point percentage against a Kansas defense in a conference game in the Bell Self era going back at least twenty five.
Speaker 1: Years as far as I have data going back.
Speaker 8: So you know, it was it was really I don't think people realize, but you know, really a historic performance going against the Kansas defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the it's tied for the worst loss that Bill's had at Kansas in twenty two years. It was the worst loss that a preseason AP one team has ever suffered ever in history of college basketball. So what now are you willing to say about Brigham Young now after they've gone let's see seven and two in their last nine, three straight wins, including both wins over the Kansas teams, Case State and Kansas. They're going to be at McHale coming up in a couple of days at Arizona.
Speaker 1: They've got five games left.
Speaker 2: There's a chance they win twelve league games, which would be really really good year one Kevin Young. So it feels like they're high speed out of the tournament, and it feels like maybe they could be a bit of a problem because when they are knocking down shots, Ken, they are tough.
Speaker 1: That's a good team.
Speaker 2: What are you willing to say about what you think BYU's chances are to make spring fun?
Speaker 1: I guess is how we'll ask it? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 8: I mean it feels like a theme that we've encountered before with BYU, even going back to last year.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, rightah absolutely, but even.
Speaker 8: You know they've had seasons before that where you know this is when by US at its best Historically, It's like they play this style, right, they played this kind of way under Mark Pope, where they you know, take a lot of threes, and when they had shooters and had that spacing, the offense looked great and it looked like it should do some damage in the tournament, and yet the results were never there. So, you know, I do think there's a chance for something good to happen. You know, there's a chance they can get to the sweet sixteen something like that. Like you know, but NC State went to the Final four last year, So there's almost anybody can can do this, right if they get if they get hot by you certainly in that mix.
Speaker 1: I am curious to see what happens against Arizona. You know.
Speaker 8: I have a pet theory that when you have a game like by you just had where it comes a little easy, like clearly like BYU is not thirty points better than Kansas, you know, on a consistent basis, otherwise they be the best team in college basketball, right, Like, I just.
Speaker 1: Wonder how a team comes back from that.
Speaker 8: Do they really believe they're that good or did they understand that Hey, we you know, we face a team that was a little bit beaten up and mentally down, and you know, we're gonna have to play at a very high level to hang with Arizona. It's gonna be if they if they can do that, I mean, they don't have to even beat Arizona to impress me, but just make a game of it. Because Arizona's playing very well, you know, probably the second best team in the league right now, and you know it'll be you know, if by you can hang with them, I'll be impressed.
Speaker 2: One of the wildest things that's happened would be you first couple of years in the Big Twelve, they're two and l against Kansas and basketball, and they're zero to two against Kansas and football, which is so wild more impressive feat dog walking Kansas on your home floor and nearly beating in by forty are going to fog last year and getting to win, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's going on the road and getting a win.
Speaker 8: The one thing that the Big Twelve has is great home environments, and we've seen that really with the local teams right like bui Use lost twice at home. You thought was lost twice at home, so there's only been four losses at home and Texas stuck actually has two of those. So that's one thing that the league has whether it's you know, Kansas or or Iowa State or now Arizona, Kansas State. I mean, there's a number of places where it's it's very hard to win. And I actually have a a model. You're not surprised probably this. Probably I made a model to estimate home court advantage at every location. And and the Big Twelve owns the top four road environments in the country, so and collectively the Big Twelve has the toughest the toughest home home court. So so that's you know, just gives you an idea like picking up a road wind, you know, especially at Allen Field House, but you know, against.
Speaker 1: Any good team in this league is extremely impressive.
Speaker 2: For somebody that uses his calculator to pay rent. Can you explain to me how one approaches building a model for home court because I'm I'm picturing you like Mark Zuckerberg in his dorm room writing algorithms on his window. I don't know if that's accurate, But how does one go about the process of building a model to explain home court advantage in college basketball?
Speaker 8: Yeah, so it's just a matter of going back in history and kind of figuring out what stats matter to predict like future home court advantage, which it's it's fairly like simple to identify those things. Like the main thing is points, you know, like if your scoring margin at home is better than your scoring marginal on the road, it's probably indicative that you have a good home court advantage. But there's other things like foul calls, block shots, some things that like denote aggressiveness or denote officiating bias that that also play into home court advantage. And so all those factors go into it, and we look at like the last three or four years of that and get a number, and it's pretty good in identifying how good home court advantage is going forward.
Speaker 2: How does the marriage Center stack up with your model? It seems like it's becoming it. Look it was always well, not always, but more often than not, the Marriage Center, because BYU has had a lot of really good teams, has been pretty loud. It feels like over the past, I don't know, maybe it was the Fordet thing, something sparked the basketball community down there. The game ops they do a really good job. So how does the marriage center score with your model? As far as the home court advantage? It is number thirteen, number thirteen in the country.
Speaker 8: Well it's good. Yeah, it's really good. You'd be surprised to note though, that you thought comes at number five. So wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait does that.
Speaker 1: Just credit the model at all? Wait wait wait?
Speaker 2: The University of Utah, who play their basketball at the Huntsman Center, have the fifth best home court advantage in the country.
Speaker 1: Yes, so so a.
Speaker 8: Lot of I neglected to mention another important factor in home court advantage. That is altitude, which obviously have around here. But but yeah, that's the way, that's the way it checks out. It's obviously not entirely due to fan support, you know, yeah, I'm not getting kind of sellouts up there right now.
Speaker 1: But but it just.
Speaker 8: Goes to show you that they might not truly have the fifth best home quarter of vantage spans. I'm not going to like die on that hill, but they do have above average home quarter advantage. And as we've seen this yere in Big Twelve play like you know, it's not a vintage Utah team, and yet at home, you know, they're six and two in the Big Twelve, like they played all the games at home, they be you know, buying for a league title, right, what.
Speaker 2: About the spectrum Utah State, which which feels like, in my estimation, potentially the best home court advantage in the state.
Speaker 1: But I do look, mine's anecdotal.
Speaker 2: It's on feel, it's on the crowd, it's on the noise, right, I don't have any data to back up my take that the spectrum is as tough a place to play as I feel like maybe anywhere.
Speaker 1: But what does your model say about Utah States on court?
Speaker 8: It has them at number eight, So yeah, extremely respectable as well.
Speaker 2: So according to the Ken Palm model, Utah has the best home court advantage Utah State two and BYU three, I mean they're essentially within the margin of ara of the model.
Speaker 8: You know, they're essentially even, and they're all very good. Who's number one? Number one's West Virginia, Oh, Morgantown. Yeah, so you know, decent fans apart. Not an easy place to get to. That's the thing about home quar advantage too. You know, like Kansas checks in at sixteen. I think people would say, like, oh, Kansas has the best home court advantage, but they have a very good home court advantage, but they also a very good team, Like that's part of the reason why it's tough to win there. Right, They're usually very good, and so even if there were no fans there, it'd be tough to win.
Speaker 2: So Utah also played Kansas. They also played Kansas State. The Kansas Jayhawks rolled into the state of Utah and played two games where they never let right, that's wild, right, They didn't lead for a second against the Utes, and they didn't lead for Look, the BYU game was it was eight zero after ninety seconds and Bill self called the time out and Kansas never counter punched, right, And the Utah game was a little bit more back and forth. But what are your latest thoughts on a couple of wins for the Utes against both teams from the state of Kansas, and you know, if they're able to get three their final five, Craig gets ten league wins year, you know, in year four for him, which I think would be a step in the right direction. I mean, look, I always hesitate to celebrate, you know, wins and achievements that I think fall far below the expectation I have for our programs. I cover our programs in a way that I believe that we should have NCAA tournament teams as much as possible. I think that should be the standard. And yes, I was spoiled going to school there in the nineties when that was the standard and they were making runs. So I'm not saying that we should, you know, jump out of our seats for joy, but it has been a little bit better as of late.
Speaker 8: Ken What are you saying, right, Yeah, for sure. I mean I think that was always the thing with the youth that we always talked about, is that they're you know, they're obviously not higher end Big twelve team, but they should be good enough to pick off some of these teams at home. And it was a little disappointing, you know, when Baylor came here and the game wasn't very close. But but since then they've they've you know, won four in a row at home and obviously took care of the Kansas teams, and I applaud I don't know if I applaud I admire Craig Smith for continuing to uh run the high wire act of leaves leaving a loss and lovering in the game late as he did against Kansas again in a tight game, just letting him out there and knowing he's gonna get hacked and he he went one for nine I think from the free throw line and didn't matter. Still still pulled out the game. So, uh, you know, tip of the cab for that. But uh yeah, it's it's been I think refreshing obviously. You know, you refregard that Craigsmith, and it is good that that they're having some success. And uh, you know, the schedule isn't gonna be easy down the stretch. Three of three of the five games are on the road, but as you said, there's an opportunity to gain some respectability here heading into the Big Twelve tournament and uh, you know, hopefully establish a situation where they can, uh you know, attract a little more talent for next year.
Speaker 1: Is the conference down to what you expected?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think at the start of the year you reference the SEC as one. The Big Twelve is too. It feels like the Big Twelve of this point might be three. Yeah, the Big Doves three in my ratings, just behind the Big Ten. But you know it's close. And we know you discussed how the SEC just absolutely.
Speaker 1: Tore through a non conference play and.
Speaker 8: Is establishing a different standard for how good a basketball conference can be. I think it's probably well, I don't know, but I think it could be a one year type of blip for them where they should come back down to earth. In fact, I'm kind of rolling around some ideas in my head about how the SEC is maybe even a little bit overrated based on the results this year. You know, you look historically at what the best conference does in the NCAA tournament year after year, and they tend to disappoint, and the SEC could be could be headed down that road as well.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the Big Dolve's third.
Speaker 8: But it's like, you know, they've been number one, you know, number one or number two like the last twelve years of my ratings, and mostly number one in that time. So yeah, it's a little bit of a step down from that standpoint, but it's still an extremely strong lead.
Speaker 2: So I referenced by you, you know, feeling like they are high speed out of the tournaments and they're gonna be ranked in the top twenty five out imagine coming up next week. What about the postseason potential for the UTES because barring some crazy run in the Big twelve tournament, you know, I don't know that the nc Double A tournament is gonna be on you know, on the table for Craig. But if they let's say, if they're able to go three and two down the stretch and they win ten league games, is there anything they can do besides miraculously winning the Big twelve tournament to actually garner consideration to make the NC Double A's isn't a large.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think the only thing they can do is win the rest of their games. Yeah, you know, that would that would probably be it. Yeah, They're gonna have to you know, prove themselves a little bit more on the road, so you know, they like the Cougars have a road game against Arizona on the docket and then obviously they got the return trip to Provo. If they if they won their last five games, they would definitely be in the conversation. The real issue is, like, you know, is this team actually good enough to do that? And the way they played the date, even considering the you know, the last two wins, like they're not good enough to do that.
Speaker 1: Now, maybe they play a lot better.
Speaker 8: You know, the stranger things have happened in college basketball, although not many stranger things, but that would be the scenario. But they're just so far off the map right now that yeah, they need to they I don't think they can afford any more losses.
Speaker 2: Utah State nearly beat San Jose State by a cool half one hundred last night.
Speaker 1: It was a bloodbath.
Speaker 2: But they have lost to New Mexico twice now, so New Mexico has that lead over them in the conference. It's a one game lead at this point. So before we catch a break, let's wrap up the local story lines with where you're at right now on the Aggies, who are twenty three and four overall, and they're thirteen and three in Mountain West Conference play, which is good for second.
Speaker 8: So give me your thoughts on Utah State. I mean, yeah, still still love where the Aggies are at. You know, they did had a really good performance down in Albuquerque.
Speaker 1: You know, lost to New Mexico late, but.
Speaker 8: You know, really, I think leading most of that game in the first thirty minutes and then you know, New Mexico just just finished them off.
Speaker 1: But that's not a bad loss at all.
Speaker 8: And you know, they got an interesting stretch coming up now where they host San Diego State this weekend. You know, they beat the Astags down there, so to get a sweep of San Diego State, another team that's getting tournament consideration.
Speaker 1: That would be huge just to kind of cement their profile.
Speaker 8: I mean, they probably the Eggs probably need to win two of these last four games to feel pretty good about getting into the tournament. Certainly winning three of the last four would do it. And so they had the two home games with the Astags and air Force, and you know, air Force hasn't won a game in conference play, so they should win that, and then the road games against Poise State and CSU. So winning three of the four is certainly possible the way they played, but even two out of four I think would be good enough.
Speaker 1: And you know, again.
Speaker 8: Another scenario where the Mountain West typically underperforms in the tournament. So I don't know what the future would hold for the Aggies in the tournament, but I do have their offense ranked at fourteenth, right, so we won't discuss their defense, but the offense certainly good enough to win some games.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Coming up on the other side, we'll kind of expand out of the state's footprint talk some big picture college hoops. We will get Ken's take on some of the prospects Jazz fans can watch down the stretch. To have a little bit of hope while the jazz continue to lose for you know, maybe at some point to consider when they could be good again. So Ken Palmeroys live in studio. I mean Al Hassen rolls by in the four o'clock hour. We'll do a little sports court later on, but it's a busy Thursday drive, so keep it right here. AUDIESPN seven hundred ninety two ANDEFM proud to be part of Utazi ESPN Radio Network. All right, show roll along today. My friend Melissa from Sound Sleep Medical joins us live in studio.
Speaker 1: Melissa, how are you doing great? All right?
Speaker 2: You are helping people who have sleep apnea. Let's start with some symptoms. How do people know if they have sleep sleep apnea?
Speaker 9: Okay, great question. So if you are snoring, if you're often tired during the day, or maybe you wake up with the morning headache, those are some red flags that you might have sleep apnia, which means your oxygen levels are too low during the night. If that's the case, you've got to fix it because it's linked to all sorts of bad health issues down the road that you don't want to start picking up as you age.
Speaker 2: For sure, and when people and our listeners probably are hearing us talk about Okay, they're treating sleep apnea. Oh, they've got a d on a seapap. It's an oral appliance that's much different than a seapap. Let's hear about it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, super easy to use. It's just like a mouthguard, but it's custom made. It's very precise, so it's comfortable. It's going to make sure that your teeth don't shift and you don't end up with jaw issues. You know, some people use we call them boil a bite and bite something they got offline.
Speaker 1: This is not that.
Speaker 9: This is a real medical device that will stabilize your lower jaw to make snoring and oxygen stay great.
Speaker 2: Covered by most medical insurance companies and also warranty and all the devices.
Speaker 9: Yes, correct, yep, HSA flex spending. You can even use our zero percent.
Speaker 2: Financing six locations in Utah, Clearfield, Murray, Sandy, American Fork, Provo and Saint George. Melissa set you loose. What's the special offer you have for our listeners who.
Speaker 1: Call you today?
Speaker 9: Okay, call right now during the show. The number to call is eight O one three three five nine eight two four. You can also find us and schedule at soundsleepmedical dot com. When you do that, you're gonna get a free sleep screening, which is a test you get to do at home in your own bed, free sleep consultation in one of those offices, and all of that totally free, no obligation.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get to a you went to golf PGA Tour updates, don't miss the fifty percent bonus trade in event wow, bringing your current clubs to You went to golf and receive fifty percent bonus trade in value towards new twenty twenty five golf clubs. Are you still doing any golf stuff, Ken pump Uh, like physically playing golfer for a while, golf analyzing golf?
Speaker 8: Right, Yeah, No, I haven't done that in a few years. Basketball has just consumed everything. But that was fun. It was fun going back and analyzing, like shottling data and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: For these pros, that was a neat data set.
Speaker 2: And you are a player to get out and swing a club from time to time.
Speaker 1: I'm a player, Definitely, there you go. That's see. I like the confidence Ken.
Speaker 2: Right now, it's the Mexico Open at Vedanta World Round one is in progress. Don't know how many the heavy hitters are in this tournament, but we'll give you a quick look at the leaderboard.
Speaker 1: Our guy Harry Hall. You know where Harry Hall is from. He's from Northern Ireland.
Speaker 2: Wow, what, I've never even heard of him. Well done, seven under par. Jeremy Paul is seven hunder par as well. I'm looking for notables. Not a lot of big dogs in this tournament yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, well anyway, go head to you went to golf. I think I'm gonna get a new putter, not gonna get new clubs. I think I'm getting a new putter. Think I'm doing the tailor made spider, the Scottie Scheffler special.
Speaker 1: It doesn't help. I'm just gonna worn you. I know, but you tricked yourself anto thinking it helps? What do you swing? Kind of clubs to swing? What do you got?
Speaker 8: I think I got some Mazuno's, Mizuno irons and Callaway driver that's.
Speaker 1: In a bag.
Speaker 2: Miszouno irons are solid. That's a good set of golf clubs. I'm excited for the snow to melt so i can get out and swing head down to Arnie's tournament in Orlando coming up in a couple weeks, So excited for that.
Speaker 1: Ken Palmeroy live in studio.
Speaker 2: Enough golf talk, let's get back to some college basketball talk.
Speaker 1: Actually, let's do a little let's do a.
Speaker 2: Little prospect watch for Jazz fans that are gonna watch the final twenty eight games of the Jazz and we all know what time it is. It's no secret they're not even shy about it anymore. And so we're hoping that for the first time in Jazz history, we get a little lottery luck. Ken, the Jazz have been in a lottery nine times that have never moved up. My whole thing is the good karma from facilitating trades. Jimmy Butler's a warrior, Luka, Doncish is a Laker, and Xanik in the front office, Danny, they helped it helped out. So what that means is we should be rewarded with good karma to get the number one overall pick. How big is the gap between Cooper Flag and whoever is number two?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 8: I don't know exactly how to describe that. I mean number two is Dylan Harper, who is very good as well. There is a difference there. I mean, I think Cooper Flies a clear number one, Dylan Harper is a clear number two. Uh, there may be more of a grating two and three than there is between one and two.
Speaker 1: Let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: So let's just have a little fun and say the Jazz are able to lock into the number one overall pick.
Speaker 8: It's it's Cooper. Yeah, it's auto auto draft at that point. Okay, up on auto draft and go home, except the Jazz can't go home. They do have another first round pick, so I'll have to stick stick around. But uh, yeah, I mean it's uh, I mean, Cooper Flag is just phenomenal, right, Like he's averaging twenty points a game for one of the best teams in the country and he's barely eighteen years old, and uh, he's not. It's not a one dimensional twenty points a game. Like right now, I'm looking at the mock draft at Tankathon and it's Bailey out of records as the number three pick, and he is averaging nineteen points a game.
Speaker 1: But that's a it's a little more of.
Speaker 8: A empty nineteen points, you know, it's a little more of a selfish nineteen points, right he's bainlely super talented, and he's surely and probably gonna be awesome. But Cooper Flag is he just you know, he can handle the ball all he has great vision, he just has great feel for the game. And on top of that, he's a skilled scorer really from all three levels. So he does everything and he's still got you know, he still.
Speaker 1: Has not entered the prime development years of his life, do you.
Speaker 2: And I don't love comps. I never have because I think it puts a unfair idea in fans' minds and I think it sets players up to fail.
Speaker 1: So I'm not a huge like, hey, he reminds me of this. He reminds me of that.
Speaker 2: But for Jazz fans and aren't dialed into Duke basketball, is there an NBA player that you think he kind of plays?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm actually with you on the comp thing, partly because of what you say, Like, I think it's kind of it's kind of a weird thing to compare somebody does somebody else?
Speaker 1: Like could you imagine that in your own profession? Spence?
Speaker 8: You know, like, right, you get compared to Steven A. Smith or something. I don't want that. Well anyway, yeah, so that's sort of the and but the second reason is that I actually am not very good at comps, right, That's fine. My encyclopedic knowledge of historical players is somewhat poor when it comes to like the fine I think the the the attributes that we're looking for here to make you know, a decent comp And we've seen people on TV, you know, Jalen Rose most notably perhaps in the reason past, you know, get in trouble. Most people do these comps and it's just like, how does the player look? You know, who looks like Cooper Flag? You know, just like facially right in tone, and it's like, that's kind of it's kind of gross. So yeah, so I'm not a huge calm guy, but just you know, from a production standpoint, Cooper Flag is an above average number one overall pick.
Speaker 2: Let's put it that way, all right, fair enough, fair enough. So, if you're a Jazz fan, be dialed in on Duke basketball. And speaking of Duke basketball, Ken, since you and I last spoke, Duke has elevated themselves to the number one team in your model. So what has happened over the past couple of weeks because Auburn I think is stayed clean. They beat Damma. I think last time we spoke, you had Auburn at one. Now Duke is a one, Auburn is at two. What exactly is flipped? Well, I mean they're basically co number ones. You know, they're very close in the ratings. Auburn's out of some closer games.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know here in the last few weeks, whereas Duke really has not.
Speaker 8: They did lose the Clumson on the road a couple of weeks ago, but otherwise they're they're doing to the ACC what Gonzaga has typically done.
Speaker 1: To like the WCC.
Speaker 8: And that's kind of the storyline here headed headed into the tournament, is like there's gonna be questions about Duke against quality competition. They do get a very extremely rare February non conference game on Saturday against Illinois. If you want to see NBA prospects on the floor, that's a great chance because Illinois themselves has a couple of potential first rounders and Caspers Yaka chonas and and Will Riley, and obviously Duke has three freshmen as well that could end up going in the top ten of the draft.
Speaker 1: So great, great showcase for that.
Speaker 8: But but that's the story with Due, Like they've looked great, the competition has not been so great. The a SEC is historically bad this year. Uh, that may benefit Duke. I don't know, like the somethings that I feel like you played a week league like in Zaga, you know has proven over the years is consistently getting you know, barely deep into the tournament. I mean a number of sweet sixteens in a row. You don't have that, like physical wear and tear playing against these weaker teams. We'll see if that benefits Duke or not. But I mean it's pretty clear right now Duke and Auburn I think are the two best teams in the country. Houston is extremely close to them. I mean I would not put up a fight if you said Houston was in that group as well, and then there's maybe a little bit of a well more sizeable drop off after that.
Speaker 1: Does Houston have a peer in the Big twelve?
Speaker 2: I mean, I have your model in front of me, I have your rankings in front of me, but I ask it because every time I watch Houston it just feels almost unfair. I Mean, we talked about the ute game where I'm watching it, Like, if you didn't know anything about these two teams, you turn on the game, you'd be like, why are they playing an exhibition game with one team that clearly has talent and size and strength that the other teams. It was like, Utah barely even got looks at the bucket. I think at some point they had far more turnovers than field goals all game long. And that's just one snap shot. It was seventy to thirty six, So not close. But they blow teams, you know, out of the gym. They So does duke excuse me, does Houston have a peer in the Big twelve right now?
Speaker 8: Well, first, let me just say we need to give equal opportunity here. Houston also beat BUYU eighty six to fifty five, so let's I forget I mean a little bit earlier in the year.
Speaker 1: Similar.
Speaker 2: I truly feel like every time I watch them, I'm like, it's unfair. They're a lot better than their peers. I think they've won something like eleven straight road games and commerce play so wild. Yeah, so we're talking about how tough it doesn't to win on the road, but uh, they they do it somehow, And you are right, I mean that they've always the Houston team under Kevin Samson has always been characterized by maximum effort.
Speaker 1: You know, five guys on the floor given one hundred percent.
Speaker 8: They're not necessarily the mot skilled team, but you know they're gonna give a ton of effort, and they make up for a lot of their lack of skill offensively by getting a bunch of offensive rebounds. And that's true this year. They're still ninth in the country and offensive rebound percentage. The thing about this year's team is that they're fifth of the country at three point shooting. Like this is a team that you know, you watch their offense and you think it's it's pretty ugly. Like I understand why it's somewhat because they do get loose balls and they can create some points that way, but they can shoot.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 8: It's really reminiscent of like the twenty nineteen Virginia team where you know, Virginia under Tony Bennett for years and years had a great defense and we're you know, disciplined and did all the things that coaches want you to do, and their offense was extremely ugly and then they suddenly put together a pretty talented offense and ended up winning a national title. And this is really the opportunity here for Kevin Samson to to kind of duplicate that because it's still a great defensive team. They're still going to hustle, They're still going to get the seventy five percent of the fifty to fifty balls, if that makes sense. And U and their offense is pretty dangerous as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he plays eight guys more than fourteen minutes a night, and six of the eight shoot it from three and four of them, what excuse me, five of them shoot better than forty percent.
Speaker 1: So that's wild.
Speaker 2: An eight man rotation for Calvin Sampson, and I think Kevin plays eleven for BYU. Is is there a prefer like I can always remember pat Riley as the Knicks were approaching the playoffs in practice, he would yell, I want my eight.
Speaker 1: Who are going to be my eight? Right? And so that's kind of the old school mentality.
Speaker 2: When you're playing tournament basketball or playoff basketball, you trim your rotation because so much is at stake. In the NBA, there's a little bit of a different trend. Steve Kerr has been playing ten to eleven sometimes small guys a night, we've seen it from Will as well. Is there a new understanding of how many minutes you want each player playing? And is Kelvin's approach of kind of old school eight man rotation an outlier these days, which is just.
Speaker 8: Date that might be a little bit short, but you're not seeing a lot of guys the college level playing ten or eleven. And I we should point out even Kevin Young, like the other night, Kennon Catchings really didn't get off the bench. So even though there may have been eleven guys in the box score, like you know, ultimately he decided to go with Tray Stewart for a lot of the minutes there, and Catchings the guy who was starting early in the season, you know, suddenly he finds himself really not getting off the bench. So the other thing is once you get to the tournament or the playoffs in the NBA, like inevitably.
Speaker 1: The rotations are are going to shrink.
Speaker 8: So I would imagine, you know, if we see BYU in the tournament, you know they're gonna get They're gonna find their eight guys that they really like, and if there's foul trouble, they know they can go nine or ten. Deep, but for the most part, you want your best guys out there, and you know, Kellen SAMs doesn't have much of a choice as rotation drops off pretty pretty badly after after eight guys.
Speaker 1: So that's why you see the minutes distribution for that team that you do.
Speaker 2: Craig's rotation for the utes seems to really depend on the opponent. They're really there's not a ton of consistency. I do think he's settled on his five and Jake Wallen has played better than I thought he could. He had a double double against Kansas, he had twelve boards. But it really does depend on the night. And sometimes I watched Keano does and feel like he needs more minutes and could they use you know, myro Little's ball handling a little bit more. Is it really predicated on whatever the night needs. As far as the way Craig has handled his rotation, Yeah.
Speaker 8: It seems like it seems like there's a little you know, positional bias there as well, like they're a little more loaded in the wing category and so they can go a little deeper into into that well as opposed to the big category.
Speaker 1: You know, he mentioned like lovering being kind.
Speaker 8: Of left on the floor and in crucial moments to despite the fact that he's kind of a liability from the free throw line, and I think he's just like clearly the best option there for other reasons, and so Craig alects to kind of kind of go that direction. But you know, the Utah situation is slightly different too, I think where there's maybe not like obvious stars on the team, you know, Gabe Mad's and notwithstanding, I don't don't know if he's not really a star caliber type of guy, but I think clearly one of the better offensive options.
Speaker 1: But for the most part, there's some interchangeable parts.
Speaker 8: There and so he can he can mix and match things as the game situation requires.
Speaker 2: Tell me what you've seen from Mark Pope in his first year in Kentucky. I mean, obviously that is for our listeners that aren't totally familiar. If you think of the craziest fan base, well whatever sport that you're thinking of, Kentucky basketball fans are that for college hoops, Big Blue Nation, they are wild.
Speaker 1: And the majority of the.
Speaker 2: Reaction after Mark was hired was not positive because I think Mark was either their fourth or fifth choice. From what I read and obviously John Calipari. He did a great job of acquiring talents, not such a great job of winning consistently. He did win a national championship, of course, which you have to give him a lot of credit. And it hasn't been great for Calipari year one in Arkansas. But what about year one for Mark Pope in Kentucky. I would call it a success.
Speaker 8: Yeah, as you mentioned, he did get hired a little bit late because they were looking at other candidates. There's a pretty high profile courting of Scott Drew in there, but ultimately settled on Mark and you know, it's worked out pretty well. I mean, I think there were some questions about the roster coming into the season. He didn't really get high profile transfers. I would say he got a bunch of good transfers and he's, you know, ultimately messed those guys together pretty well.
Speaker 1: He's dealt with some injuries.
Speaker 8: They've been out a couple of starters and Jackson Robinson and Lamont Butler in the past few games and still are are hanging on. They swept Tennessee this year. You know, they're just seven and six in conference. But it's also a brutal conference, and they're going to easily make the tournament and get a decent seed, and if they can get healthy, you know, they'll be a pretty dangerous team in the tournament. They're now at that group of teams that we talked about earlier, but perhaps in a second group of teams that you know you take a flyer on in your bracket to get to the final four.
Speaker 2: So I'm a child of the Big East ken as you know, going to the biggest tournament's preseason Big East tournaments. It was the Ray Allen Allen Iverson battle back in the day with Georgetown and Yukon. I was there for Mello's preseason Big East Tournament when he's a freshman at Syracuse. So I got to ask you about the Johnnies. Our moral compass. Rick Patino has taken over that program, and say what you want about him, the guy can coach Kenny I mean Davon Smith, right, he's former uts. There you have them at sixteen year the model. What stands out about the Johnny's.
Speaker 8: This year, Well, their defense has been extremely impressive, number two in the country, number six in the country in two point percentage defense. Really kind of a makeup, you know, similar to say Houston, where it's like not a not a sexy offense, but you know you're gonna get maximum effort out of these guys, and not necessarily big vertically, but a bunch of thick guys. You know, they're just really are physical and you know that comes into it comes in handy down the stretch when the officials might be calling slightly fewer fouls and letting a little more go as we get into these late season games. So it's not a it's not a you know, not a pretty team to watch, but they do get results. I mean you just feel like when you're watching them, they are you know, they're giving you maximum. Ever, they're not leaving anything out on the corner to the extend that they lose games, which they've only done four times this year, and we should point out they have four.
Speaker 1: They have four losses this year.
Speaker 8: Okay, one by two points, one by one point, one by three points, and one in double overtime.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's wild. They're pretty close to being undefeated. Guys like that's a yeah.
Speaker 8: Rick Bettino certainly still say what do you want about the guy? Obviously a value higher for Saint John's one of the best coaches in the game.
Speaker 2: All right, before I say you loose, I'm not gonna say this is a hot take because you have them highly ranked in your model. But Auburn the number two team in the country, number one team in the SEC.
Speaker 1: How close?
Speaker 2: Every time I've watched Florida this year, like you know, and maybe I'm not paid enough attention because my thought is, like they should be talked about more, Like every time I watch them, they look elite.
Speaker 1: Are they a legit threat to Auburn and the SEC?
Speaker 8: I think they're a legit threat to like they should have national championships type goals.
Speaker 1: Let's get that way. They're not.
Speaker 8: They're on the level of those top three teams. But they're the next team in line, which has been consistently really good this year. To go ten and three in conference play, again in the best conference and maybe the history of basketball is is pretty impressive. So they all, they got all that going for him. And again a team that, unlike those top three, kind of came out of nowhere. Mean those top three teams that I'm talking about, they were all top three in my preseason ratings.
Speaker 1: Florida was twenty six in my preseason ratings.
Speaker 8: I think they were like twenty in the AP But anyway, those team that people thought would be good but not great, and maybe people are waiting for them to, you know, come back down to earth, but there's really been no sign of that.
Speaker 1: Three twenty five games.
Speaker 2: All right, Ken, we are eight days away from March, which is wild and I can't wait because you know, basketball, golf, all the things I enjoy.
Speaker 1: It's really awesome.
Speaker 2: So for people that are about to fill out brackets, your family's going to send you an email, Your work's going to send you an email. I utilize your stuff every time I sit down to do mine. Let's be clear, there's no perfect model. If there was, Ken would be a billionaire. What about an island by now? But how can people go get your work?
Speaker 8: They can just go to Kenpalm dot com and sign up for one year of a subscription. You get access to a whole bunch of great data on the team and player level, and it's good for twelve months, so it's not just for the end of the tournament, but you'll be able to use it well into next season.
Speaker 1: All right, Ken, Good stuff man, good to see? All right? All right?
Speaker 2: Thanks Bence, Yo, Spence check it's here from my good friends at Ogden Clinic Hadley Dermatology.
Speaker 1: Are you looking for expert skincare well?
Speaker 2: Ogden Clinic Hadley Dermatology good locations in Bountiful, Layton, West Point, and Roy as you covered. Doctor Michael and Doctor Jason Hadley, great friends of mine, along with our skilled team, offer a full range of dermatology services. Whether it's general dermatology, advance MOSE surgery for skin cancer removal, or cosmetic treatments, You're.
Speaker 1: In great hands. Give them a call at ATO one.
Speaker 10: Sixty five seven five sixty sixty four or visit Hadleydermatology dot com to schedule your appointment today. Trust Ogden Clinic Hadley Dermatology for healthier radiant skin. All right, we got to meet Al Hassen joining us coming up in the four o'clock hour to talk some NBA and some jazz. The second half of the season for the Utah Jazz gets going tomorrow. They were welcome in Oklahoma City, but welcoming in now very special guests from our friends at Ogden Clinic Hadley Dermatology. Matt, I'm going to say, Frank comm is that right, yeah, freak them, Frank them Matt, frankm good enough, Matt.
Speaker 1: How are you man? I'm doing great. I appreciate you coming in today.
Speaker 2: So before we get to what Matt wants to talk about today, we're going to tell you about causes and treatments for hair loss, something that's very important to a lot of men. I want to kind of reiterate the deals that we already have for you at Ougden Clinic Hadley Dermatology. Christine stopped in with the deal on boat talks. Okay, so you can check that out for your significant other. Jason stopped in with a deal on laser hair removal. So laser treatments are offering twenty five percent off pool season will be here. Don't be the guy that takes off the shirt and looks like a gorilla. Get that taken care of. And then Michael stopped in and offered a free skin consultation for those of you that are like me that play a lot of golf and are in the sun a ton during the summer. We have a beautiful state, but where the number one stayed in the country and skin cancer diagnosis per capita, So if you've not been checked out head to toe, check out Ogden Clinic, Hadley Dermatology. But Matt, let's talk hair loss. What do you want our listeners to know? Yeah, well, hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: First of all, sure, man, see you.
Speaker 7: You know we're making American men and women beautiful again.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 7: It turns out that dermatologists do more than skin. We do hair conditions and diseases, anything that causes hair loss. So we're happy to check out. You know, if you've got some hair loss, some thinning, maybe years ago the buy and you don't look quite as good as you thought, you think you should be looking, and let's do a little evaluation and see what we can do for you.
Speaker 2: So I know Jason has helped out a number of my friends that are in this spot where they're getting older and then you see their hairline receding a little bit. You got some spots you want to take care of. So I know people are probably skeptical, but I've seen these results. You actually are helping people. So let's talk about the process. How do you help men and women right now that are listening to the show that are being affected by hair loss?
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 7: So you come in make an appointment see one of us there at Athlete Dermatology. I happen to be in the West Point Clinic. We do an evaluation. We see what it is that's causing the problem. There's lots of things. There's genetic problems, there's diseases, there's sort of these acute problems. Even medications that are kind of popular right now contribute to hair loss. That's kind of a bigger thing that we've noticed with some of the weight loss medications.
Speaker 2: What are some of the treatments you guys have available for our listeners who are tuned in?
Speaker 7: How can you help them out? Yeah, so there are topical medications. I think you know you can get some of those through some over the counter places, but we specialize in more of the oral medications and some things that are newer that haven't been utilized for hair loss, and they're really becoming more utilized and seeing a lot of improvement and effectiveness lately.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, here's the deal now that Matt has brought to the table, the potential for you guys to go take care of your hair loss issues. At Hadley Clinic Dermatology. We now have offers for botox. We now have offers for laser treatments. We have offers for skin consultations, also some scut some sunscreen options where you'll save on their special sunscreen up at Ougden Clinic Dermatology, and now an offer for hair loss treatment as well.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of a menu. You've got five great offers.
Speaker 2: And whichever one you want to land on, I would do it now at Ogden Clinic Hadley Dermatology. The number is eight oh one sixty five seven five sixty sixty four. That's eight one sixty five seven five sixty six four. It's gonna do a little sports court on the program today coming up. We'll call that about twenty five thirty minutes right now, five o'clock hour of the program. After that, Craig Smith Coaches Show follows our show to Taco with Utah Hoops, and then we will have the Four Nations Face Final right here on ESPN seven hundred between Canada and the US.
Speaker 1: Our next guest front of the show.
Speaker 2: But it's been a while, it's been too long, A mean, Al Hassen back on the drive on a Thursday, I mean, happy Thursday, sir.
Speaker 1: How you been doing well?
Speaker 6: Doing well?
Speaker 4: Can complaint.
Speaker 1: There you go, appreciate the time.
Speaker 2: So let's get your reaction to the news of the day today, Victor wiman Yama will miss the rest of the season with a blood clot. Blood clot in his shoulder. Now, my first my first thought, I mean, was Chris Bosh. I hate to say it, but it just was. Now, this is in his shoulder, not his lower leg. We've seen Aman Thompson deal with this, brandon Ingram deal with this, and a lot of Spurs fans probably be pretty nervous about the news.
Speaker 1: What's your reaction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was taping my show Oddball with Izzy Gutierrez when the news broke, and he was the one that had to kind of remind me of brandon Ingram and and Thompson because originally my first thought was Chris Bosh. And then a good friend of mine, John Shoemate, who passed away not too long ago, a couple of weeks ago. Actually, he was a top five pick in the draft. He a storage career at Notre Dame, but his career was first like interrupted several times in the clotting, and then eventually he had to retire because of blood clouding. And so it's a very serious issue. It's not necessarily kind of a end to his career. As we said, there have been plenty of examples of guys who got on the medication, got it sorted out, and came back and were perfectly fine, And I don't have to deal with it again. But it just, you know, it's one of those things where I think we all have to be cognizant today. None of this stuff is guaranteed. And you know, you hope that the kid bounces back right because he's been such a breath of pressure for the league, not only with his play, but with his personality and kind of his genuine energy when it comes to the game of basketball.
Speaker 2: So, based off of what I was reading, this is an instant shut it down entirely for six month situation, based off of the medication that you have to take right away. Because a blood cloud is not a sprained ankle. You have to take action immediately to make sure that you're taking care of just as a person less loan a basketball player, what do you think this process is going to be like, Because if it's a six month shutdown, he's going to be knocking on the door just to get ready for the starting next season. So what do you think the next six to seven months are going to look like for Victor wemen Yama.
Speaker 4: Well, frustrating. It's got to be frustrated for sure, because one of the things that you really enjoy doing, you're not going to be able to do.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: You know. The conversation that is he and I had was, you know, these kind of live events kind of take one or two paths on people impacts on people. One is the this is another challenge, and I'm going to teach this challenge and I'll come back better than ever and kind of you know, this almost determination that comes from it. The other is, oh my god, I've been racing my life worried about things that really don't matter, and now that life and death has entered the equation, I'm going to cherish the things that do matter, like family and friendship and quality of life and all that. I tend to think that Webbin Yama is more of the former, simply because I think he's already someone who's with a healthy work life balance. He seems to be well rounded, he's got interests, he's not afraid of expressing his interests that are not basketball. So I kind of feel like he's going to look at it as just another challenge to be did rather than a wake up call that he's been living in life the wrong way.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 2: And I'm chuckling because I'm just picturing. Look, San Antonio twenty three wins and the Jazz have thirteen. The Pelicans have thirteen. So there's still a major gap between where the Spurs are now and some of the worst teams in the league Washington with nine wins.
Speaker 1: But what do you think the Spurs do now?
Speaker 2: Do you think they completely just like shut it down and try to get another top lottery pick in a draft that's absolutely packed, Like, what's the rest of the year look like for the San Antonio Spurs?
Speaker 4: Oh, Spencer, are you asking me if the Spurs are going to play Capture the Flag?
Speaker 1: Yes? Are you exactly what I'm asking you?
Speaker 4: And the San Antonio Spurs the team that went to the Western Conference Finals in nineteen ninety five and had the MVP of the league and the next year won fifty five fifty six games, and then the year after that had an unfortunate injuries in a franchise player just happened to be the same year that this can't miss that to wake for us, it's coming out. And then they got them, and then and all of a sudden they were good again with the best player generationally, probably for his entire class. Are you asking me if that's gonna happen against man? Is that what you're kind of questioning?
Speaker 2: If you want my third eye to be open, I'll ask you if this is really a blood clot, bro I can go as deep as you want.
Speaker 4: Nah, I'm sure the Spurs, though, you know, moved fine. They would never they would never step something up.
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, gracious, you know it's us. It's cruel because I feel like the Jazz should have done what they're doing now a few years ago when this kid was available, you know, But instead the Jazz decided to be fine being average for a couple of years, and they had some late lottery picks and these kids just really haven't popped very much. So I understand what you're saying, tongue in cheek, But the Spurs did exactly what they should have done a few years ago, and the Jazz didn't, and now we're kind of paying the price for it around here.
Speaker 11: It is.
Speaker 4: It is remarkable, right, that every time there's a generational talent youse, guys just happen to have like the the on ramp to being terrible, terrible at the right time, and not terrible for too long. Right, you don't have to deal with a whole lot of terrible in pan Antonio. They're just gonna be terrible for this small window, and it seems to work out for them.
Speaker 1: It sure does. It sure does.
Speaker 2: So whether it's intelligence, timing, or luck or accommodation of all three, you gotta give them a lot of credit. But let's have a little fun now with the Utah Jazz, and let's say, for the first time in jazz history, the Jazz actually get lottery luck. The Jazz have been in a lottery nine times and they've never moved up. If they're able to cash in on this really difficult season for a fan base around here that used to winning, to digest and snag Cooper Flag number one, and they roll in the next season with the front court of Walker Kesher, Larry Market and Cooper Flag, a front court that would be very popular around here.
Speaker 1: I'll just leave it there.
Speaker 2: Uh, then we're kind of onto something, aren't we Like if this this entire process leads to that maybe this fan base has something to latch onto.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just want to point out how staggered I am. He said, the Jazz have been to the lottery nine times in their in their franchise history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I've never moved up.
Speaker 4: I mean like, okay, never moved up. Feels like, oh wow, that's that's kind of tough. But so only been there nine times? Yeah, yep, pretty remarkable. I mean it's and by the way, three of them, so thirty three percent of them, we're in that right now. That's that's very, very, very remarkable. No, you know, obviously, you know, Cooper Flag is a kind of talent where you could thirty teams and they all need a Cooper Flag. Utah is kind of look, Denny As has a vision of how to do this, He's done it before, and what we're seeing is kind of, you know, the same sort of formula in terms of when you look at the deals and you look at him getting involved in that layer, this Maverage deal as a third party, not even knowing who the deal is for all of that kind of accumulation, accumulation, accumulation. He's doing this in the same way he did it in the mid two thousands when he realized that Paul Pierce alone wasn't gonna get it done and he needed to make a bold move. And so the question becomes, and I think this is the part where everyone gets frustrated, is you say, what is that bold move going to be? Well, you don't know. And I think that's the thing when you know, way back when I think of Philadelphia, when people were praising Sam Hinky Oh for him doing this and he's accumulating picks, and this is the way to do it if you're not first your last Ricky Bobby style. And what I said at the time is on paper, yeah, that's what you do. But this thing doesn't happen on paper. And you've got ownership to answer to. And even owners who can pretend they're bought in and it from tech to finance and they understand these kind of processes, Ultimately, they still have kids whould go to school and get teams because their dad owns the team and ruined it. So your capacity to run this playbook in essence is directly proportionate to how confident you are in the ownership behind you, sticking behind you in the case of Sam Presty g had full rams. You could do it forever, and they were never going to give up on them because they knew, hey, we got ourselves one of the best guys in the league. Does Denny Aide have that sort of job security with Ryan Smith? I don't know. One would think because his track record and obviously who he is locally, one would think that he's got that job security. But again, hell have no fury like my kids coming home from school crime because they got made fun of.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I think the answer to the job security security question is Danny has tremendous job security. I mean, Ryan has been front facing about how much of a fan he always was of Danny, because Ryan's a big BYU fan, and then obviously Danny goes on to do great things in pro basketball. This was born out of a fan relationship between the owner and the executive far more than it was born out of a friendship. Now it seems that it has become that now, and I'm sure Danny appreciates this ability to not necessarily put in the same type of ground where Xanik does, yet get paid a lot more money and kind of swoop in what he needs to and I know that he's involved, but Justin's the one that seems to be doing the.
Speaker 1: Work on the ground. But here's here's the question.
Speaker 2: Based off of the dynamic, Ryan fancies himself as a basketball guy. He's in the meetings, he has input, and I can tell you that both Dennis Lindsay and Quinn Snyder had just one meeting with ownership. It was like, nope, I'm good in your history around the league, meddaling owner to think they're basketball people.
Speaker 1: How does that typically work out?
Speaker 4: Well, it's funny that you mentioned that the relationship with between Danny and Ryan was born out of a fandom, because to answer your question, that's some think of another owner GM combo that was born out of a fandom was Robert Tarbar and Steve Kerr in Phoenix. Robert Tarber was the university that I was on a grad and he was a big fan of Steve pr at U of A. He's obviously a big fan of Seve Peirr as an NBA player, And you know, at first it was like that, it was like, yeah, he listened to Steve, and then at some point Robert just thought he knew better and so anything that Steve came up with that we came up with. As a staff, Robert would basically second gas and leak to other people asking them their opinions, and our business was down in the streets. So typically, what I found is the more your owner thinks he knows basketball, the more dangerous your owner become right, because he's much more likely to believe. Look, I get it, I understand. I'm not like these other guys.
Speaker 5: I am.
Speaker 4: I am. I'm cool, right, And as we all know from high school, the guy who announces he's cool not really cool. Right. The cool guy doesn't have to announce he's cool, he just is. And typically these owners who think they know what they're talking about are not. They don't know what they're talking about. I'll give you another example, A current example is Matt hb in Phoenix, who I would say, legitimately, good thing. I know basketball. I played high level V one basketball, I won a national championship. I played for Togas, one of the greatest coaches of all time. I'm friends with Isaia Namas, I'm friends with Jason Register, I'm friends with all these great NBA players, Zach Randolph, etcetera, etcetera. So if with anyone who would say, oh, I actually know this stuff, it's matt Eshbia, and yet that hasn't really turned out great. I'll give you another one. And he may have heard of this guy, Michael Jeffrey Jordan's son. I say he knew basketball and in any of us, but when put in that position to be the final saying, he turns out he wasn't that great at running a basketball team, because at some point it gets in the way. At some point your know it all, this gets in the way, and ultimately the best owner is the owner that at the end of the year says this is the number. You can't spend over it, and we come to an agreement on what the expectations are. And then I don't do anything. I just sit back and watch the show. And at the end of the year we look at the numbers. We look at like where we were according to a excerctations. If there are things that make us alter the plan midway through, we have a conversation about that. But the more your hands on and they're sitting on meetings and all that and giving your opinion, the more you end up kind of what I would like to pay Medio results.
Speaker 2: One more jazz thing, because you're good at this and you can make it interesting. There's not a lot of things topically with this roster that I really care to ask you about, because we all know the deal, we all know what they're doing. But this is a fan base, as we outlined with nine lottery appearances, it indicates that this fan base is used to winning basketball. Now, we haven't had a championship out here, and if I'm honest, we haven't had a championship team here since nineteen ninety eight in my opinion, and that was John and Carl's best and quite frankly last chance to get it done. And of course Mike took rings off their fingers as he did to our guy, Pat Ewing and Sean Kemp and Gary Payton, Charles Barkley.
Speaker 1: We could keep going.
Speaker 2: It is a fan base that's used to winning and is championship thirsty. What's a reasonable expectation during this process where it is askedet accumulation, You hope a young player two pops, then you hope you get lottery luck. I mean, that's as reductive as I can be about what they're trying to do. What's in that reason expectation to this fan base is to win. Winning basketball might be back in Salt Lake City.
Speaker 4: Well, I think then we have to define what winning is. Is winning winning a championship? I don't know, maybe never I that's something that everyone has to come to grips with, every fan in the league except for the Lakers, So how do they keep doing it? But everyone else you have to come to grips with. If your thing is my destination championship, you gotta be ready that you may never see that destination. So what do you want to see in the meantime. You want to see growth, you want to see improvement, and you want to see standards right. And the thing I always go back to Sam Presty and Oklahoma City Thunder and comparing contrasting what he did versus what Sam Hinky did in Philadelphia. In Philadelphia, Sam Hinky said, I need to be terrible so I can get all these lottery picks and just be a clearing house for other people's craft so I could get keep getting lottery picks. And uh, he did that by stocking his rocks or with players who were not NBA talents. No disrespectful guys. They just weren't NBA caliber players. There were guys who in a regular situation would never make an NBA team, but in this situation, because they're trying to be as bad as possible, welcome aboard. And he did that over years, and then even as he hit on some of his guys, he refused to stock his roster with vets. He refused to have any sort of semblance of we're going to play competitive, tough basketball. We're just gonna get blown out every night. And the contrast is the Oklahoma City Thunderwear. Yes they were doing the same thing. Yes they're trying to be bad. Yes they were getting a lot of their pictures to their cleaning house, But beyond hitting on their picks, they maintained the entire time this is the standard. The people talk about heat culture. They got thunder culture over there, and we have standards and we're going to do things the right way. Win or lose, it doesn't matter. These are the expectations. And so what happens is the players that you have there are growing up in a system and in a culture that is positive and a winning culture. Despite those standings not being that to me, if I'm a bad team and if I'm a fan of a bad franchise, that's what I want to see. I want to see players that execute. I want to see players that defend and play both tide of ball. I want to see players that are developing and be able to do both. You know, multiple things are supposed to being specialists, right, and I want to see my team be competitive even if we win twelve games all year long. I want us to be I want us to win twelve games, lose seventy games by five points, seven points, nine points like I wanted to be. I want us to be leading and then we blew the lead down the stretch. Like those are the type of losses where you can walk away and say we had a legitimate chance and either we got out talented or we made mistakes of youth that we will not make in the future. And if you're Utah, that's if you're a jazz on, I think we look at this team. You want to see players that play hard. You want to see players that are competing, and if they're losing due to bad decisions, like when the Collier kid waves off Colin Sexton to still get an eight second count, you want that to be seared in his brain. So I think he becomes a number one time a time in sport situation type of player.
Speaker 1: So well, I want to move over here.
Speaker 2: Have we had Tom Haerstrawn and Zach Harper on this week and so we've talked to friends of yours, coworkers of yours about All Star Weekend, And I think I'm just now resigned.
Speaker 1: Look, for thirty years or forty years.
Speaker 2: It was the best pickup basketball game in the world, and it was awesome, and it wasn't every year, and they didn't play hard one through forty eight.
Speaker 1: I understand that.
Speaker 2: And the reason why I still bemoan what it's become is I miss that what it once was. Is there any going back or at this point is it just going to be an undigestible weekend regardless of everybody yelling about how bad it is.
Speaker 4: There is a going back. Unfortunately, the guy who is going to do that for us is out for the rest of the year with a blood clout. Hopefully he's fine next year, but it starts in the locker room. All of these fixes that they've tried, elam ending, draft your own team, many tournament like, all of these things they all come down to one simple premise, which is the twenty four guys in that locker room, for whatever reason, aren't taking it seriously, and so we're going to do whatever we can to manufactor something that causes them to ticket seriously. I thought the tournament, the basketball part of it, the basketball part of it, was an improvement over the last three or four years. We got competitive basketball for the first time. I thought the rising stars in their game, they actually that was the best game of the three that we saw on Sunday. I thought that the championship game was okay, it was decent. I thought the first game was kind of lackadaisical. But the point is they created this gimmick because they wanted guys to burn calories. Like you said, we're not asking for one through forty eight. We're not asking for Game seven intensity. We're not asker for going to be the finals intensity. We're not asking for playoff intensity. We're not even asking for regular season intensity. Can I get preseason intensity? Preseason A preseason intensity looks like basketball people want to watch because here's the deal. These are the greatest players in the world. They dribble better than anybody else, They shoot better than anybody else. They don't on people all that stuff. You know what makes that crazy crossover, that crazy three pointer, that crazy dunk look cool. It's resistance. Resistance makes Oh he tried to stop him and he couldn't. He tried to block it, you couldn't. Right the moment you remove resistance, it's just guys getting shot up before the pickup game starts it again, Spencer or maybe at the playground and like we're still like we started to figure out what teams are. Guys just getting shot up. That's what the altar game has become over the last few years. And so until those twenty four guys understand, hey, I gottapply a little bit. I can't completely treat it like a joke. It's gonna stay the way it is, no matter what the format is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well said all right, buddy, before I say you lose. I have not been able to catch up with you since Luke Tancic was traded to the Lakers, and look, man, I like everybody else, the alert popped on my phone and I said, no, not real, no chance. Like everybody else, I texted everybody that I know in the league to try to make sense of this and we can't. I guess we can be as reductive as that. Nico just didn't like Luca and like Zad, I guess that that's the deal. I've talked to more than a handful of executives that still don't buy it and believe there's something that none of us know. One of them said, we'll find out in Summer League when we're all together. It didn't make sense then. It still doesn't make sense to me. Now, So your reaction when you saw the news and now a few weeks later, where are you at with that trade?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I saw a DM at All Star weekend and the first thing he asked me was what do you think happened? Because he couldn't figure it out. We're all kind of in the dark, search and trying to make sense of nonsense. If we're going to be perfectly honest here, I don't know. I think the stuff that has come out recently clarify some of it, is that some of it is Nico. Nico basically grew up in the NBA with Kobe Bryant, or on Kobe Bryant's side. So if that's your vision of what a franchise player is I can imagine how because not just to be a jarring departure, right, Like, that's got to be the crazy like from this guy who's a workaholic, waits up at four in the morning and you know it doesn't put any poison. So that speaking his body to the deer drinking, hookah smoking, lovable, affable guy like who's never in shape, Like, it has to be a complete departure from everything you believed in. Right he got ownership that also has like, you know, shaky kind of aspirations. I think you want to talk about another situation where ownership is kind of meddling. Hearing him talk the Patrick Dumont talked to the Dallas Morning News and explain kind of his visions and stuff like, you're like, oh my god, this guy doesn't sound bright at all when it comes to basketball. So I think there's a little bit of today. It's always always an ownership element in any one of these types of deals. I think there's a little bit of Nico Harrison's worldview based on his basketball upbringing, and maybe there's something more to it than that. If so, like I still go back to this, you all these things I named, you could tell me Okay, that's why we got to Shae Luca Docis. Okay, I see it. I don't agree with it, but I see it. But the part where your return for him is that that's the part where you lose everybody. That's the part where you lose everybody. And so I'll say it like like we talked about on Basketball Illuminati a couple of weeks ago, whatever it was. Once you've made up your mind I have to trade this guy, which it sounds like they did. Then why do you care if it's a secret or not. Why do you care if he's uncomfortable enough? Why do you care if the fans are upset or not? At that point, then you play it to its natural conclusion and try to get as much as a sand form.
Speaker 1: Why Man?
Speaker 2: I still I still whatever. I actually kind of marinate on it. I'm like, I still can't believe you do this with a twenty five year old global superstar, not just transcending talent, global superstar. But we'll see how it plays out. Man, Hey, it's been too long. It's great to hear your voice. I'll set you loose, have a great weekend.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks a last night, all right, Amino?
Speaker 2: Hassen spent a number of years in NBA front offices with the Knicks and the Sons, and he's been on the media side of things for about fifteen years now. Busy Guy one of those guys that has like seven different podcasts at darth Amine is where you find him on social He is a Star Wars fan.
Speaker 12: Hey everyone, this is junior to fun. I'll call friends. Defensive tackle for the University of Utah football team and football. My teammates and I work as a team. Very successful when everyone does his part and the team comes first. If you get injured in an accident, you need a legal team that works together with you and puts you first. The lawyers a handy in handy, have an experience, a dedicated team of experts helping people who have been injured in accidents. They'll take care of you. Called and winning team, a handy in handy where the client comes first.
Speaker 13: Handy and handy, big firm experience, small firm. Attention all riz, It's time to check in with Preston, Handy and Garrett Handy of Handy and handy for sports court.
Speaker 11: Handy and Handy are your accident and personal injury attorneys. Ready to assist with any related questions. You may have visit them online at Handy Law Utah dot com. Big firm Experience, small firm attention. Now let's get out to Sports Court on the Drive with Spence. Check its on Utah's number one sports talk ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 1: It is Sportsport Time.
Speaker 2: We do it every Thursday right about now with our good friends over at Handy and Handy Note Garrett. Today it's just our guy Preston on a Thursday afternoon. Preston, Happy Thursday, sir, how are you.
Speaker 6: Hey, Spence? Happy Thursday? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm well.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the time today. So we'll start out with a situation where Donald Trump's transgender athlete band is now facing a f DROL lawsuit. Looks like two teenage girls from New Hampshire are legally challenging the executive orders.
Speaker 1: Preston, so fill us in here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so we know, we know that a few weeks ago there was an executive order signed by President Trump entitled keeping Men out of Women's Sports. And this is no new issue. This is something we've talked about a number of time on Sports Court, and as a result of these issues, states have enacted a lot of laws, including the state of Utah, and a lot of these laws essentially there's indicating that transgender women should not be playing in men's or in women's sports. And a lot of these laws are under fire and there the Utah law is being litigated right now. But essentially this executive order by Trump. You know, we talked about Title nine a lot and discrimination based on gender. Well, Trump's order basically says allowing transgender athletes to play is in violation Title nine. So what he enacted was saying that any entities receiving federal funding need to comply with this and abide by five Title nine. And another part was that if you don't, you could be penalized and lose this funding. So a couple of New Hampshire transgender athletes, one a tennis player, one a soccer player. Soccer player, they're already in litigation and they're litigating a statute in New Hampshire basically claiming that it violates a number of constitual rights. It's violation of Title nine equal protection discrimination. So it's going down the road and the judge in New Hampshire, the federal judge in New Hampshire issues at an injunction, basically saying we're not going to apply this law right now and you're allowed to play for the time being. Well, probably getting ahead of it because I think we're going to see this. These two girls have now amended their lawsuit and decided to include Donald Trump, the United States Attorney General, and a bunch of federal officials that have been involved in this, including this in it because I think they're seeing down the road that well, for challenging the state thing, we might as well challenge this at this point. And we know there's so many different states have different laws, and some states are coming out now it's saying that the executive order is and violation of their laws. These girls claim that they're in compliance with a lot of things because they have puberty blockers, these transgender athletes, So it's going to be a hotbed. We knew that there was going to be these challenges, and I don't think this is the last challenge, of course, but they what they've done is they've jumped ahead of it and filed lawsuit based on this executive order.
Speaker 2: All right, Moving over now to Ball versus White Sox. The former trainer from the White Sox has it looks like this discrimination lawsuit has been restored now from what I'm reading, Preston, what do we have here?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so this is a t that he was kind of there's some downsizing going on with the White Sox organization, and it looked like he was going to be let go and he was claiming some age discrimination and things like that, and so the White Sox they came to him and said, hey, you know, we'll essentially pay you and buy you out. They so they entered into an agreement, and the agreement basically said that he would be paid some of the terms that he would be paid for a year of pay and for benefits. So he actually signed this agreement, and later down the road he found out that through someone higher up in the White Sox organization that the reason that they were pushing to let him go was that he was he is gay. So in finding out, he says, oh, hold the phone, So he's he filed a lawsuit against the White Sox organization and the first defense that the White Sox came back to was basically saying, oh, wait a minute, you already signed an agreement and we're done here. You this kind of covered everything that had you entered into a deal with us that addressed what you got paid, you accepted it, and you accepted the termination agreement. Well, he got kicked out of court. It was dismissed based on that. The lower court judge agreed with that and ruled that there was an agreement and that he couldn't proceed. Well, he appealed it, and the appella judges basically said, no, I kind of agree with the trainer. His name is Ball. He agreed that, you know, the the validity of the termination agreement, you know, may have been procured by fraud, and that's a question of fact. And so dismissed at this time wasn't the right thing to do, saying that maybe he entered into this based on a number of reasons and based on pressure of hey, I'm going to get fired and they when I might as well jump into this and take it. But he also pointed out an interesting thing that White Sox officials they never refuted why he was actually going. They came back and said, well, we really don't need to say why he had heerned into the agreement. It was a good faith agreement. It was an arms length agreement. He accepted the money, accepted the benefits, and he was let go. So he's back in the game now and we'll see what happens all right.
Speaker 2: Moving over now, this is interesting Georgia, Alabamail their NIL bills could face legal challenges because a couple of bills in those states to exempt college athletes and IL income from state taxes. Now they're facing a little bit of pushback here, but this is something that I think could add ramifications following this far reaching beyond these states of Georgia and Alabama. If this stuff is kind of pushed through. So what's the latest here, give us an update.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so there's no legal challenge to it yet, but they're pushing these bills, and essentially these bills, they would exempt college athletes from paying state taxes for income they earn from NIL money. And looking deep into it, the states of Florida, Texas, Tennessee and other states they don't have state income tax. And you've got these legislators that are big Crimson Tipe fans and Georgia Bulldog fans, and they're going, oh, wait a minute, this might hurt us in our recruiting battles because if you go to an athlete and say, hey, here's your NIL contract, here's the money you're gonna make. Oh and by the way, guess what, in our state, you don't even have to pay state income tax. So Georgia and Alabama are looking into this going, wow, we want to have something here that, even though we have state income tax, that we cut out a little piece for these athletes. And right our man Michael mccannon, who does an analysis, he says that there could potentially be a legal challenge, and the challenge would be based that non college athletes who earn money in various ways not through NIL, guess what they have to pay stay taxes. And so what they would claim is that this is a violation of the Equal Protection Clause and fourteenth Amendment in applying these essentially applying laws you know that aren't equal equal. You've got one participant here in one participant here, and they're not applied equally. So there could be some challenges. I don't know who would challenge that. There might be a student that's not an athlete coming in challenges to say, hey, this is an a fair fight, and I really don't care about Alabama or Georgia football, but it's interesting that, as you pointed out early, that the measures that are being taken, and especially because it's a complicated issue and we know that Utah has enacted some certain things, not exactly on the issue of taxes, but on the issue of that these contracts aren't, you know, public record.
Speaker 2: Moving over to a story out of the world of pro football, the Arizona Cardinals have won a lawsuit that was brought by their former VP, Terry McDonough.
Speaker 1: So this was just ruled upon, I believe today fill us in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So, Terry McDonough was a high official VP of player personnel with the Cardinals and he got into a little bit of a mess with some of the uppers and he, you know, and about some burner phones and things like that, and you know, it looked like he was going to get let go, and so he made claims that he was being let go because of age discrimination and breach of contract and things like that. And the Cardinals, and I don't think they dispute this. They took kind of an aggressive position. They hired a pr PR firm, and the PR firm came out with some what he alleges to some defaming comments about him. Comments about his personal life follow fol demeanor, disturbing allegation of a domestic violence and responsibility for his kids. And this was all kind of a PR thing kind of coming at Terry McDonough. And so I think the interesting legal issue here is, and there's a couple of inconsistent things that he actually did go to arbitration and got an award of two point six million, But the other part was his lawsuit was dismissed. And here's where it gets interesting because we've talked about this with Brian Flores Gruden. All kinds of contracts that basically say, hey, if you're part of the NFL or part of the NBA, we have an agreement that these kind of disputes they're not going to hit the courts. They got to be submitted to arbitration. That's just better for our organizations. And we see those a lot. And basically his claim was, and I think it's a pretty interesting claim. He's saying, wait a minute, but this is my claim against a PR firm, and they don't have privity a contract, they're not part of the contracts with the league, and they're the ones that brought it. But the judge kicked them out, and his daughter and wife both brought lawsuits and he kicked them out, basically saying that these contracts, that these pr firms are agents of the organization in this case, the Arizona Cardinals, and that this protection extends to them, and so he kicked them out of court with that. So these arbitration agreements and these arbitration clauses, they they're far reaching. And he just saw that he's kicked out of court. We'll see if he appeals.
Speaker 2: All right, final one for today, And you know, I hate to dispense any advice to burglars who potentially could be listening to the show today, but maybe don't post pictures of the things that you stole from the house that you stole them from Joe Burrow's. Last week, picture surfaced of the guy who stole the merchandise from Joe Burrow's house.
Speaker 1: He posted pictures of himself.
Speaker 2: Online wearing Burrows like Jersey and his chain. I believe his die in Shane and now the burglars in the case of both Travis Kelcey and Patrick Mahomes situations have done the same thing. And obviously the Feds are on the case. What can you tell us about this. It looks like it's becoming a trend, and not a very smart one.
Speaker 6: No, I think it is a trend, and I think what's interesting, as you mentioned Joe Burrow, we talked about last week, and this week it comes out this happened in October. But both Mahomes and Kelsey their homes were broken into in October. And what is happening is this Chilean ring of burglars. They are identifying when these athletes are going to be out of their homes. They know that they're going to be on the road in a game, and in both these cases, Mahomes and Kelsey were out. Bobby Portis is also noted in this. And they're sophisticated in that way, and they're sophisticated in getting into these homes, but you know they're not sophisticated in taking selfies and posting them. Because there's a funny one here. And Garrett, who's looked at these, he says some of the same guys. And these guys are in chiefs jerseys and T shirts and holding stacks of watches and different things, and their smiles are pretty wide. So the FEDS, the FBI got a warrant. And now these guys have been arrested legal immigrants and they've been charged with conspiracy to commit interstate transportation of stolen property and they said in excess of two million dollars in valuable.
Speaker 2: Absolute morons, you know, my goodness, gracious all right, I prest him before I set you loose on this Thursday. For any of our listeners have any legal questions, how can they get ahold of you over at Handy and Handy.
Speaker 6: Yes, Spence, we love coming on here with you and talking about these interesting legal issues in the world of sports, even numbskulls who are posting things on social media. But we'd love to hear from anyone out there and help you with your legal issues, especially if you have a personal injury case. Give us a callity zero one two sixty four six six seven seven or jump on our website at Handy Law Utah dot com.
Speaker 2: Preston, thank you, my friend. Have a great weekend. It has always go us.
Speaker 6: Thanks past all.
Speaker 2: Right's Preston Handy for the law firm of Handy and Handy. What is going through these idiots, numb skull dull brain like the one thing you just didn't need to do and you would have.
Speaker 1: Been able to get away with it.
Speaker 2: Is not post pictures of yourself online wearing Joe Burrow's chain or wearing Patrick mahomes jersey in his watch like this is look. I mean, let's start at the beginning. Rule number one, don't do that. Rule number one, don't steal from other people, and don't burglarize homes. So let's just start there, and there's a period at the end of that sentence. Yeah, but if you decide to dabble and you want to get away with it, maybe don't post pictures of yourself online wearing the things that you stole from the famous people you stole them from.
Speaker 3: It doesn't seem like quite the uh, the smartest strategy, right. I think the picture one of them posted had Joe Burrow's jersey and it had like the authentic official NFL game warn thing on it. Some of it was jewelry that was like custom jewelry. Right, you're not gonna find it in a store somewhere. It's made for a specific person. You're not gonna be able to hide it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna tell you what to do with your free time. But if you do decide to dabble in b an e. Yeah, maybe don't take pictures.
Speaker 2: The official stance of the show is to strongly encourage people to not do this. Okay, that's the official stance of the show. Sorry, But ultimately, as he said, if you are going to dabble in this potential new hobby, maybe don't do that. It kind of reminds me it's a different situation. But remember during the draft process and when there was a rumor like, hey, there's a video going around of Larry me Tonsul and he has a bong attached to his face through a gas mask, and Huns was like, it's totally not me because the initial video was just some dude in a gas mask hitting a bong, and Laraimie Tonsil was like, it's not me. And then the second video came out and the dude lifted up the mask and it's it's entirely Laramie Tunsel. It was, uh, like, don't put a video online of you smoking a bong through a gas mask the week before you're getting drafted.
Speaker 1: Dude, It's not that hard, wasn't it? His dad? His jealous dad is that wasn't that? The story really I think so. I honestly don't remember who posted it.
Speaker 2: I just was laughing because he's like, it's not me, because the first video was only a dude in a gas mask smoking a bong and tonsil and his raps.
Speaker 1: You're like, it's not him, it's not me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do, I do remember that, but I think it came out later that. The way it got out was someone in his family that was like not stoked that he was successful.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just know the next day the video came out of him removing the gas mask and it's like, that's you, dude, And at that point he's like, yeah, I guess it's me.
Speaker 1: And he still got drafted and he's still awesome at football.
Speaker 2: But you know, all right, snowy and cold Chilli Thursday afternoon slash evening, five o'clock hour of the program gets wrong right about now.
Speaker 1: Don't forget. We are one hour away from.
Speaker 2: The Four Nations Face Off Championship live in Boston, and we're also one hour away from the Craig Smith Coaches Show, So keep in mind. We will join the Four Nations Face Off Championship in progress here on the station coming up at about seven o'clock, but it will get going at six o'clock right after we say good night. But Craig Smith, Bill Riley the Coaches show for you, so stay tuned for that five o'clock hour of the program. Tonight is brought to you by our good friends at Burt Brothers. With over thirty years of experience in nearly thirty locations, brit Brothers ASC CERTI five technicians bring expertise and professionalism into every interaction industry, leading warranties and low price tire guarantees. One stop shop for reliable repairs and maintenance, from tires and alignments to fluids and breaks, offering a full range of automotive services tailored to meet your needs. Now offering value tire options such as Americas and Summit tires starting at just sixty nine dollars with warranties that go up to seventy thousand miles. As one of the few Triple A certified shops in Utah, Burt Brothers upholds the highest standards in automotive service. Stopped by Burt Brothers or Tirebusters' locations or schedule an appointment today to experience the trusted service that has made them a Utah favorite for over three decades. Burt Brothers doing it better since day one. More information can be found online at Burt Brothers dot com. All Right, Busy Lively show a lot of topics on this Thursday afternoon. Gonna bring in Andy Larson from the Salt Lake Tribune. The second half of the season for the Utah Jazz begins tomorrow night as they welcome in Oklahoma City. Second half of the season technically got going last night. It was a rescheduled game between the Lakers and the Hornets. The Lakers lost now one and two with both Lebron and Luca. They've lost back to back games, one to the Jazz here in Salt Lake and the other the Hornets last night, and they've been getting smoked. It looks like Luca is gonna sit tonight against Portland, but the Jazz in action. Of course, the piece of news that most people have been reacting to today is that Victor Wembanyama, the young rising global superstar not just a superstar global superstar for the San Antonio Spurs, has been shut down for the rest of the season over a blood clot which is in his shoulder. Now there is precedent here in pro basketball with other players suffering from blood clots. The first thought I had was Chris Bosh. Essentially his career was over ended by a blood clot. And of course we're all hoping anybody who loves pro basketball, cares about pro basketball, hoping this young man will not have his trajectory derailed as a result of this situation. It ended Chris Bosh's career. I'm in Thompson last year in Detroit, his rookie year, had a blood clot issue. He's good now and he's playing well and he looks healthy. Brandon Ingram probably most famously because he had a similar situation of Victor women Yama also had a blood clot and had to be shut down. And he came back and he's been fine. And this is a health thing. It's not a basketball thing. According to what I've read and heard today, when it comes to a blood clot like this, it has to be treated immediately, and as an athlete, you are shut down right away and not allowed to really start hitting it hard with the trick comeback and the physical therapy whatever else. It is for an entire six months. So if you're the san Antonio Spurs. You're looking at potentially not even having Victor women Yama maybe for the start of next year. Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know that.
Speaker 2: I'm not reporting it because the Spurs are very confident that this is an isolated thing and that's something that could cause long term issues. But we'll have to see Victor women Yama out for the rest of the year. Has been shut down San Antonio right now twenty three and twenty nine, so they're technically still in the mix. They're about three and a half four games behind the Warriors and the Kings for the final playing spot, but they're also now potentially in the mix to simply do what they've always done, and that is lose on purpose when there's a great player available, and they have a tremendous amount of draft flexibility and draft capital moving forward. I would not be surprised if the San Antonio Spurs and rcbuford elect to do what they can to improve their lottery odds and maybe who knows, have more lottery luck as they have three different times in their career as a pro basketball organization with David Robinson, Tim Duncan and now Victor wemen Yama. Can you imagine if the Spurs on lottery night lucked into the number one pick and just added Cooper Flag next to Victor wemen Yama. So that's the big news out of the world of pro basketball today. Of course, the four Nations face off tonight, US Canada Round two. Really excited for this game, Excited to head home and watch it and you guys can listen to it here on the Station US.
Speaker 1: With their win. With the US win.
Speaker 2: Over Canada on Saturday of last week on the fifteenth, they ended a bunch of notable Canadian hockey win streaks. They had won twenty six straight hockey games with Sidney Crosby in the lineup, they had won thirteen straight games. When it comes to playing against other NHL players, they had won seventeen straight best on best games.
Speaker 1: And that's what tonight is.
Speaker 2: So we'll see how it goes down. Both Construck brothers are going to play. Both of these teams have excellent goalies. Both of these teams have big time motivation as far as you know, wanting to get this done now. Saturday's game was in Montreal. Montreal, of course, has a one hundred year, one hundred plus year hockey history Boston, where the matchup will be tonight, is a excellent domestic hockey city, and by all accounts, this is one of the toughest tickets that we've seen in a long long time. I'm not sure that we're going to see the same type of intensity and atmosphere in Boston as we did in Montreal. Neil Smith joined the program yesterday and gave us a good breakdown of what to expect tonight. But the ticket situation is this. According to vivid Seats, the average listed ticket price for the Four Nations Faceoff Championship game has skyrocketed by one hundred and thirty seven percent since the game was played last Saturday, US Canada on February the fifteenth. The average ticket price for this game tonight on that day. Prior to the game was nine hundred and ninety dollars. The average ticket price for the game tonight now is two thousand, four hundred dollars, so a massive jump. PK sue Band was reporting earlier on ESPN that a lot of his peers in the NHL, like current NHL players, have reached out through reps to try to get a ticket to the game, and they've been turned away, So this should be a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: There's not a ton going on tonight.
Speaker 2: There's a little bit of NBA action, there's some college basketball as well, Jazz and action tomorrow. No real local teams in college basketball action tonight. I would imagine this is going to pull a big number, maybe even close to ten million people. It's interesting to hear how the coverage has been handled by media members that don't talk about hockey a ton But I thought PK sue Band today gave a really interesting diatribe and certainly PK was taking advantage of his platform to probably pull off a little bit of perform Orman's art to motivate people to continue to watch hockey. I mean, this has been a real boom for this sport, and it's kind of fun that we're actually a hockey town with the Utah Hockey Club here and so PK suban, it's online, it's everywhere. Really did an interesting job breaking down the dichotomy between NBA players and NHL players and utilize this opportunity to basically speak to consumers and say, as I'm paraphrasing here, if you want to watch a sport, if you want to watch a game, If you want to watch a situation where a league actually employees players that care to show up on time for work and play hard, watch NHL Hockey. Because these guys do, they show up, They play through injury, injuries, and we've heard Brendan Hagu, We've heard a lot of these players talk about playing for your flag and not playing for the camera, and caring about both club and country.
Speaker 1: It's a little soccer that way.
Speaker 2: But these guys tonight showing up and playing with passion, playing hard and playing for as cliche as it sounds, what's on the front of the chest, not the name on the back of the sweater, right, playing for your country, playing for the flat, playing for pride, and not wanting to lose to those dudes. I do not anticipate that we will see a bunch of fights right out of the gates. I don't think that's going to be the case. And typically in pro hockey, like a Stanley Cup final or a Stanley Cup playoff Game seven or what have you, you don't see a lot of fights when there's a lot on the line. Simply put, you can't have your best players sitting in the penalty box and the Kachuck brothers are too good to be sitting outside of the action.
Speaker 1: They need to be involved.
Speaker 2: And that's why most hockey teams have enforcers that aren't.
Speaker 1: Very good at hockey.
Speaker 2: Quite frankly, if I could be a little harsh, like Spicy Tuna, our guy Lim O'Brien was, he a fourth string forward and he's brought on basically to throw hands because you don't want Dylan Gunther or Clayton Keller sitting in the penalty box. But you're okay if our guys, Spicy Tune is chilling over there for a few minutes. So Conter Hellibuck is the goalie or the Team USA, and right now he might be the best goalie in the world. And there's a lot of information out there that indicates maybe if there is a fight, like, is Connor going to challenge Jordan Bidnington, the polarizing figure who is the goalie for the World Canada team as they call them now. Jordan has interesting experience in Boston. In twenty nineteen, he was the goalie for the Saint Louis Blues and they went up to Boston and played a game seven and won, and Jordan was amazing and he has experience with this club, or excuse me, he has experience with this city, has experience playing hockey in Boston in front of crazy fans. And we have the pregame coverage pulled up on the television in the studio and they are showing the fans outside of the stadium in Boston. It looks like it is going to be wild, looks like it's going to be intense. And you will watch a game tonight with players who seem to care as opposed to what we've seen from NBA basketball, not just in the All Star weekend situation, but throughout the course of most of the regular season. And it's not entirely fair to put all this on the players, but it was interesting the way PK suband decided to handle his opportunity today.
Speaker 1: It's pretty rare.
Speaker 2: Then on you know the ESPN shows like Get Up, First, Take whatever it is that they delve into hockey storylines unless there's absolutely nothing else going on. It was like in the A block for Sports Center, like the B block for some of the big time ESPN you know, you know products the shows they run throughout the course of the morning to get you ready for the world in sports and talk about things topically, and everybody was talking about the four nations faceoff. So the championship game will be tonight again. It starts at six o'clock and we will join it in progress at seven o'clock after the Craig Smith Coaches Show.
Speaker 1: Real quick.
Speaker 2: I found this interesting and we brought it up a little bit earlier because, of course, the college football landscape in this market is something where people are always in a tested in college football storylines. Well, Texas and USC have joined Nebraska in canceling their spring games. So Steve Sarkisian, who just signed a new deal by the way, indicated that this is a time that he is now going to utilize to make sure his players stay healthy. I just have to wonder Texas, USC, Nebraska the spring games. I have to wonder whether or not this is going to turn into a thing, because if we call it how it is, the spring game now at the University of Utah is simply an exhibition and a lot of the better players don't play it.
Speaker 1: Look, I get it.
Speaker 2: I'm not pushing back on it, and certainly if your coach, wait, if you're the University of Utah, the past couple of years have led to a lot of PTSD when it comes to the health of your roster. So if you want to take a break from the spring game as a result of wanting your players to be right for the season, I'm not sure anybody would have a big issue with it. Obviously, it's a bummer if it goes away because it's just simply fun to topically have something to discuss in the spring as we're all looking at to the fall when college football gets real. But Florida State also canceled its spring game this year. Now, that was because of renovations to Dope Campbell, but Mike Norbell is indicated he doesn't think it's coming back at all. So Texas, USC, Nebraska, Florida State all canceling their spring games in the world.
Speaker 1: Of college football.
Speaker 2: The final segment of the show for this Thursday, you'll hear from Bill Riley Craig Smith talk a little Utah men's basketball. It's been a positive stretch for the Utes. They've played well, a couple of wins over the Kansas teams. Still blows my mind that Kansas, the Kansas Jayhawks rolled into the state of Utah and took two wells and never let didn't lead the Utes for a minute, didn't lead the Utes for a second, nor did they lead the Cougars for any portion of that game. The Utes are back on the road, coming up on the twenty third at UCF and then a big one at Michale at Arizona, couple of home games Arizona State and West Virginia, and then they'll finish it up down in Provo BYUS can have revenge on the mind after the UT's got them up here. If the Utes can finish three and two in their final five games, that is a ten win conference season. And maybe the Big Twelve isn't what we thought it would be. I mean, clearly, the SEC is the best best conference in college basketball, and then Big Ten right behind it, ACC is down the Big Twelve is probably the third best conference in college basketball.
Speaker 1: This year.
Speaker 2: They have an elite national championship contender in the Houston Cougars and then maybe a secondary threat in Arizona, Iowa State, Texas Tech, two solid teams. Ken Pom likes them at Ken Pom and Studio so UT's back in action. We'll hear what Craig Smith has to say about his team coming up with the Craig Smith Coaches Show, and then just a reminder following that we will join the Four Nations face Off final in progress between Canada and the United States. The Utah jazzer off to either back in action tomorrow as they'll continue the second half of the season. Turner Sports has your double dip if you're looking for NBA basketball tonight. First game is going on right now between the Celtics and the seventy six ers, and then your late night game ish around seven thirty eight o'clock is the Sun's and the Spurs. But speaking of the Spurs, Victor Webman Yama shut down for the season a blood clot in his shoulder was found after he returned from All Star weekend in San Francisco. Now we have president here. My first thought was Chris Bosh. Obviously, you guys remember blood clots shut down Chris Bosh and his career, brandon Ingram Thompson, other players have dealt with this, and if you can get at it early, it's pretty treatable and hopefully Victor Webbin Yama gets back on track pretty quickly. Here I'm told, based off of what I've read, I should say, blood clot means you shut it down right away six months you're basically on the shelf before you can really start getting back at it. So what does that mean for the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: I don't know. We'll have to see.
Speaker 2: I mean, san Antonio not that far out of the lottery when it comes to the top end of the lottery, because so could they get another bit of lottery luck and at a good piece next to Victor Weman Yama? All right, porter, before we say goodnight, am I reading that Zach Martin is retiring from the NFL?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 2: I don't blame them, no, like you might as well. But hell of a player. I mean one of the best offensive linemen of all time.
Speaker 3: I mean you spend a decade in the league. I know that's not like seen as a super long career based on some of the things that we see athletes doing around the world. But playing nine years as one of the top offensive linemen in in the league, and playing nine years where you don't miss a lot of snaps, that's a full career and then some. Although again, a lot of people sometimes now nowadays expect things like Lebron and the type of the type of like long long careers that we see from some guys are total outliers. The average NFL career is like two and a half years.
Speaker 2: I think, well, in offensive linemen don't play longer than a decade more often than not. And Zach Martin nine time Pro Bowl selection in eleven years.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The only Bob Lilly, Larry Allen, and Jason Witten have more Pro Bowl selections in the history of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: So pretty impressive there, All.
Speaker 2: Right, Porter, before we get out of here, it is time now for the Craig Smith Coaches Show, then the Four Nations Championship match up between Canada and the US. What comes our way on a Friday edition of the radio show.
Speaker 3: On a Friday edition of The Drive, we'll cover all of our bases, starting it off with a little RSL, some preseason stuff, some Conker Calf chat with Kurt Schmid of Real Salt Lake. Howard Beck stops by of the Ringer for the NBA Daily Assist. We'll talk some running utes with Sean Mooney, some PGA tour with Paul Pugmeyer, and then working on a hopefully a Utah Hockey club player or front office member. Is is the plan to recap some hockey. If I can't get one of those guys, maybe we'll just we'll just start reaching out to some NHL media type folks. But someone to talk four nations face off final.
Speaker 1: I've got US four Canada three? Whoa are I scoring? What do you got?
Speaker 3: I've got uh No, I haven't even thought about it.
Speaker 2: We'll just throw something nobody knows. Just throw something out there.
Speaker 1: I'm going three to one USA.
Speaker 2: See you just did copious amounts of research. Three one US. I'll take four to three US. Let's do it, all right, Craig Smith coach the show coming up next special thank you today, Andy Larson, Ken Pomeroy and aminol Hassen. For any of the sound that you potentially may miss from the show today, you can go to the website. It's ESPN seven hundred sports dot com, download our mobile app and take us on the go. That ESPN seven hundred app is available in the App Store and the Google play Store for free. And then for what we do specifically every afternoon for four hours, our podcast page called The Drive with Spence. Check its and it's available wherever you get your shows. So please subscribe, rate and review our show. If you say nice things in the comments and give us all the stars, it really helps. If you like what we do, please do that tonight for Porter. I'm spen saying, and I enjoy your Thursday after excuse me your Thursday evening. Craig Smith's coach the show come up on the other side with SoC to you tomorrow right here. Aud ESPN seven hundred ninety two and FFM proud to be part of Utah ZESPN Radio Network