Speaker 1: Literally just now actually just before this as well, just chatting with another member of the SEC's crypto toss fores and how much we can share about that right now. But what they were literally saying is they want to help to see how they can actually create the environment for another DeFi summer. So I think we're at this amazing point where we're like, wow, this is incredible. Like the SEC that we saw even just a year ago was totally different. It was like, how can create a new DeFi crash? Whereas now it's like, how do we create summer again.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by v Chain. V chain is one of the top layer one enterprise blockchain's indie crypto asset class and they are getting adoption by many big brands and companies around the world who are building Web three and decentralized application technologies. I've been a vet token holder for many years. In fact, I started investing in v chain back in twenty eighteen, and some of the key features of the v chain blockchain includes its secure, affordable, scalable, fast, and sustainable. Some of the companies and brands working with v chain include Jivon, Chi, Walmart, China, BMW, Boston Consulting Group, and many more. Most recently, they partnered with Dana White in the UFC, and Dana White even said recently that he purchased over a million dollars of the vet token, and v chain also recently launched staking where you can stake the vet token and earn great rewards. So if you'd like to learn more about v chain, go to vchain dot org. Link will be in the description. Hey, everybody, welcome into the Thinking Crypto Podcast. I'm your host Tony Edward and we are recording at Station three in New York's Financial District, and my guests are Dom and Phil Quock, who are the co founders of easya. Dom, Phil, great to see you both.
Speaker 3: It's great to be ahead, thanks to.
Speaker 2: Our last interview was virtual. It was the beginning of this year. A lot has changed, so I'm really excited to catch up with you guys, learn about what's new with easya, and of course get your thoughts on this crazy market. But what are you guys in town for? What are you in New York for?
Speaker 3: We've got a couple of meetings we just had.
Speaker 1: We were just well, we were saying apologies for being late because we were just over at Trump Tower on the traffic getting down here was insane. We have a lot of meetings out here, so we have seen a lot of projects who are now coming and maturing and getting ready for basically prime time. And we're also building a lot out with easy A Labs, which we recently started up. So we're here on the ground, boots on the ground in New York.
Speaker 2: So are you guys helping crypto startups or different projects, helping them get started and things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you can think of easy a really as being like, in some ways an incubator, because we have three things basically that we do. Number One, it's the easy a app, which is kind of like Jeweling Go, but for blockchain, we're like the onboarding layer.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: Then we host a lot of hackathons, So this weekend we're going to be up at Harvard hosting a big hackathon there. And then what we also do is we then help to get those startups access to a funding So over the past couple of years, we've given startups millions of dollars to help them build their projects out. And actually we were saying that we've been here before with one of our other startups called Axel. They raised from a sixteen Z crypto so went through their startups school, raised a pretty really really neat pre seed round as well. Recently, so they've just launched gone on mein net. Absolutely crushing it.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, and it's awesome that you're helping these startups and new entrepreneurs and innovators and your platform is is it just like helping folks in the US or is it also like international.
Speaker 4: All over the world. Yeah, so obviously the US is probably our biggest market right now, the most companies and users of the Easier app, you know, based in the US, but then also rapidly growing communities in Asia, Europe and you know all over the world really, so, you know, Easier is super easy tool for anyone to use and learn about the world's best crypto projects on given it's a mobile app, so anyone can download it.
Speaker 3: It's free, it's super easy.
Speaker 4: Sort of like dual lingo but for blockchain as many people call it. And yeah, the community has just been growing all over the world, you know, over a million users now and acting rapidly towards you know, millions more. So, Yeah, definitely, definitely exciting times. And we spend a lot of time in the US, of course, because that's where you know, everything really sort of originated, so to speak. But yeah, definitely spending more and more time in Asia and Europe as well.
Speaker 2: But is is it like more easier now in the US with the favorable environment and legislation getting past and things like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: I mean people are really you know taking crypto seriously now, you know, the FED, the SEC, it's sort of really you know, core part of their agenda, and so a lot of people that we see, especially at the younger stages, you know, university students, people who are just getting into job markets. They are all paying attention to what's going on in the space with stable coins, you know, with other areas of crypto as well. And of course, you know, the whole Trump organization is really involved in the space too, and that's just put a massive spotlight on the space. So yeah, definitely becoming a proper you know, career path for many young people. And obviously, you know, Phil and I do our best to also be role model in the space and show people what's possible. In a very short amount of time.
Speaker 1: We're literally just now actually just before this as well, just chatting with another member of the SEC's cryptotask fores, And I'm not sure how much we can share about that right now, but what they were literally saying is they want to help to see how they can actually create the environment for another DeFi summer. So I think we're at this amazing point where we're like, wow, this is incredible. Like the SEC that we saw even just a year ago was totally different. It was like how can create a new DeFi crash? Whereas now it's like, how do we create summer again?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah, they were trying to like kill it in the industry. Right. It was dystopian. It was doomsday. Now it's like bright sunny days and everybody can focus on building and innovating a complete one eighty. You know, you mentioned something about helping younger folks to find your careers and their path in this industry, and you mentioned the Harvard hackathon. It just reminds me of Web two, where you know, you had Mark Zuckerberg and the folks coming out with Facebook and many others tell us about this hackathon, and I saw algorithm is going to be participating as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly so that's this weekend we're going to be hosting a big hackthon at Harvard, inviting the whole Easier community from all over the US and globally. Typically a lot of people fly in as well for these hackthons because they're a great place for people to meet other people who want to build in crypto. They're a great place for people to actually pitch their projects they're working on. So we have typically you know, two days of building and then a demo day right at the end, and that typically takes place at the end of day two and essentially people will pitch their projects, get the chance to win funding and then also prize money, and that's just a great opportunity for people to sort of get their start in the space. And so many projects that have come through Easya, come through those hackathons presented at demo days, have gone on to build amazing things. You know, We've had unicorns come out of Easier hackthons, AI companies that are completely revolutionizing the field, like Cognition AI and another team that film mentioned earlier, AXL, which are you know, working out of this space as well, so building really cool yield products now for different cryptos so yeah, really long lasting impact. Actually if these events that we host and obviously through the work that we do at easier and the goals really to you know, make sure those projects actually build long lasting value for the underlying blockchains we work with, you know, like algorithm, like the xopy ledger, like Stellar and all of the other amazing blockchains.
Speaker 2: So what are some of like prizes or amount of money folks can win in these actons.
Speaker 1: That's a great question that it ranges. Okay, so on average it's about fifty to one hundred thousand dollars sure, and that's totally equity free.
Speaker 3: So it's pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: Like I remember when I did my undergrad at Cambridge in the UK and the annual prize, which like everybody wants to go for, was two thousand pounds. I'm not that of like this wasn't you know before I don't know we had all the inflation that we have. OUs it was before like the last round of inflation, But it wasn't when one pound or one dollar was like, you know, worth a million. Ye may be like adjusted for inflation, they'll be like, you know, two thousand, five hundred or three thousand dollars or so, but yeah, it's a lot of money.
Speaker 4: And yeah.
Speaker 1: Actually we also host a big multichain hacked On twice a year now together with Consensus, So that is the conference Consensus with coin Desk, and at our last one we had over a million dollars in prize money and forll on funding.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. So are the folks that you're working with, like Consensus, are they seeding some of these funds?
Speaker 3: Great question. It's usually with the partners actually the blockchains. Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So what we do is we have like the biggest pool of talent and then they want to tap into that. So because we had so many cool projects come out of previous hacktons, come out of the community where you know, in many ways you could think of us as like this onboarding layer into web three, the smartest people pass through easyer fust and then that's how we bring them in. And all the top blockchains like Ripple, like Stella, they want to tap into this and that's how they can get the next big big appations building on them.
Speaker 2: I love it and it's a way for them, to your point, get more adoption of their chain. Yeah, and it's non equity raditional like equity taken or anything like exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean later on there's like all sorts of vcas in the networks, sure, but yeah, at the beginning, it's really very much in keeping with the ethos of Web three, which is, let's build this openly. We want projects to build open source as well, so that other people can build on them later on. But it's absolutely fantastic. I mean, I wish something like this has existed when we were first getting started. I remember when I first got into crypto in twenty thirteen, and it was literally me and my parents' basement, plugging in my computers and like being on different online forums and YouTube and a lot of people were actually even getting banned from YouTube for talking about crypto. Is like just completely different times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So what is it like looking back? And now we have trad five, We have banks, stock exchanges, the biggest companies in the world getting involved with crypto in one way or the other, whether they're launching et apps, tokenizing their own stable coin. What is that? You know? What is I mean for you guys?
Speaker 1: I mean I can kick it off with like where I started off, and you know, Dom can chime in there. I think twenty thirteen was such a different time. I think we all know that early twenty tens everybody was very in some ways, like it was cryptoanarchy, right. We had this idea that we're gonna completely take over track by yeah, and we just absolutely were completely counter governments being involved. This was the antithesis of all of that. So even if you look at the original Bitcoin white paper, it was written and Bitcoin was developed against the backdrop of the financial crisis, right, the Great Financial Crisis, all these big banks too big to fail to the little guy who bolts them up, and Bitcoin was created as a reaction to that. And then you have projects like the XLP ledger which come out as a better alternative bitcoin even but that's what all this experimentation is about.
Speaker 3: And it's almost weird.
Speaker 1: I mean this meme that is going around right now, which is like you know, people who are in crypto in like early twenty tens versus people today, which is like, oh, we want black Rock and all these different guys to come in, and it's like what happened to us all.
Speaker 2: What happened to down with the banks exactly.
Speaker 1: Right, It's like now we want the banks to come in, Yeah, and it's interesting because I think there's different pockets that are still there. There's like you've got some of the OG bitcoiners and some of like the really og like early early crypto guys who are still feeling like, you know, we don't want this, like i'd say, in some ways they're the Bitcoin purists. Then you've also got partners that we have like Ripple, who from the very beginning, guys like Chris Larson like actually the way that we get adoption, like there's never really been a technical change which hasn't really built on what's happened before and actually sort of built its own future by welcoming them in, right, you know, that's like how you need to come into this future. And so I think that's the approach that Ripple took.
Speaker 3: Ethereum as well. Interesting they sort of have threaded the needle a little bit.
Speaker 1: They've had small contracts, so DeFi but also now they're welcoming a lot of institutional financing. So I think what we're seeing right now is crypto has actually absorbed all of these different places. I think that there's different things for different people. I'm still fascinated, but I haven't necessarily made my mind up as to which one is the right or wrong answer. I'm still pretty open minded about it. But yeah, it's been fascinating to see how it is really really different now to how it was.
Speaker 2: But the ethos of it is supposed to be decentralized, So you can't stop an institution from buying bigcoin or launching a product, like how would you do that? If you believe in the decentralized nature, anyone can access it. Somebody in a country in Africa can buy a fraction, maybe just ten bucks a bit one, but so can the billionaire. How do you It's that's the nature of the beasts, so to speak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, I don't think so. I think it might even some in some ways be counter to the idea of crypto that you can shot out these guys and not the others. The whole idea is it's censorship resistant, right, I just yeah, I just think it's fascinating that the philosophy has definitely changed. I think the reason that a lot of people coming, I mean, that's also not ignore the fact that most people come into crypto because they want to speculate, and so in some ways it's like, let's get the banks in because that means there's more money in the space, and that's a valid argument too. So yeah, I think jury is still out on which one's right. I think there's some areas where there's been a lot that's happened in crypto, where like just I think there's some areas where the value that it adds is probably I'm probably skeptical about you know, even mean cooins I think add value in some respect because at least they generate more attention. Sure, you know, you have like the Trump coin and sort of like a legitimizing factor because like wow, if the Trump if Trump and the President actually had its own coin, then it's like a lot of eyeballs on it. So even that I do see merit in even though like I'm not necessarily the biggest investment in mean coins, I just think that it's interesting, it brings more eyeballs. So like I'm I'm not skeptical on that much. But I think there's some bits which are like, you know, there's just a lot of hot airs that's been encrypto.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you think about you know, the change and the growth?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think, you know, the space has changed so much in the last couple of years, and even more so in the last year or two. You know, I think we went from seeing like pil mentioned SEC that was very much anti crypto to one that's very much embracing it. They want to actually hear what's happening at the ground level. We just yeah, we just spoke with the Task Force. Actually, we had a meeting with them earlier today, and they were really telling us, you know, about how keen they are to hear from people who are actually building on the ground about you know, how they can actually make legislation that is favorable and also you know, really welcoming for these new companies who are launching. And obviously we deal with so many of those companies all the way from early stage startups to our you know, big partners like Rapol and Stella and all of those, and we have a very good oversight of what's going on both on that side. But then also with our backgrounds. You know, Phil used to work in Lord Sullivan and Cromwell. I used to work at Blackstone, biggest you know p fund in the world, and I think, you know, back in those days when I worked there in New York, they were very anti crypto, but now you know, they've started actually, you know, looking at the space in more detail. My colleagues, who you know previously never really understood anything about crypto, they want to learn more about it. They're asking me all the time every time they see a podcast or something. You know, they're like, you know, how do we learn more? How do we get involved? And so I think we're going to see a big shift towards you know, institutional adoption. Obviously that we're already starting to see, you know, pockets off you know, ETFs and tokenization of funds, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Do you think part of it is in addition to making money, because that's a big incentive for everybody, whether you're institution or retail. I came in because I wanted to make money off of bitcoin, but then I stayed for the technology. I was like, Okay, I see this as the next layer on top of the Internet, and it's going to change the way we transact and do business. You think a lot of them are starting to recognize that this is not just speculation. Every market, every asset has a speculation layer, real estate, precious metals, whatever, the stock market. But wait, we need to build on this because this is going to disrupt our business.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. I mean I think, you know, with JP Morgan was a great example, Jamie Diamond, their CEO was very much anti bitcoin, and now there's larning to see actually, you know, we kind of need to embrace bitcoin. We need to make sure that we can provide services to our clients and both on the institutional but also private client side, that we can actually you know, show them these are the different spite of products we have, and we need to obviously cater to their desires to make money in the space and to actually invest and do things in crypto. So I think, yeah, the you know, it's been a seismic shift obviously in the space, and it's only going to continue. You know, once a big bank like JP Morgan starts making it clear that they want to actually embrace the space, everyone else obviously will have to follow. And we have many friends who you know obviously work on wall streets, and you know a lot of these banks are now setting up crypto trading desks dedicated to crypto you know, crypto research as well, and really you know, just like devoting a ton of resources to the space because they know this is how the world's going to be operating in the future.
Speaker 2: I mean JP Morning and Jamie Diamond Crypto's final is boss. Right. He was the guy at the head of the hill, right, ye, saying, hey, this is all a skim, don't talk to me about it. I remember he was saying he was a good would fire anybody who touched this thing. Now complete one to eighty exactly, amazing how things have changed. All right. We got to talk XRP because it's a lot you know, the XRP Army wants me to ask you guys a ton of questions.
Speaker 3: So you guys are.
Speaker 2: Working closely with Ripple. Are you building with the XRP ledger as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there's a lot that we will be able to share about that very soon. Our journey into the XOPL community was very interesting. I mean, we first started working together with Ripple about two years ago now, in order to bring more builders into the xrpl at ecosystem.
Speaker 3: It's one of the biggest.
Speaker 1: Criticisms at the time, and you know this is pretty valid criticism, is that there weren't enough people building on the XRPLH. It was this fantastic piece of technology, but we haven't seen the same applications built on the XRPL that we've maybe seen an ethereum right where you have these killer billion dollar applications like UNI.
Speaker 3: Swap, like are they like compound you.
Speaker 1: Know on the xrplger that hasn't necessarily been that DeFi renaissance or even explosion right, sort of not so much activity on the NFT space. There's amazing stuff that is going on with like XRB Cafe and those guys, but it hasn't necessarily seen that. And so one of the team over at Ripple, they actually came to one of the hack ons that were hosting and he was like, we should do something together, and we got chatting. We came over to the office and we got talking more and more and more, and then we hosted hacked On together, huge, huge success. And that's how we actually started working really really closely together with a Ripple team.
Speaker 2: Was it David Schwartz or someone else?
Speaker 1: It was actually another person. Then later on we met. First time we met David was actually in Tokyo. I was on the second floor. It's like, you know, pretty sort of small meet up and together the team, and that was when we were chatting we're like I actually asked David. I was like, David, why do you think that there haven't been that many developers building on the XHART p leasure right, And he was like, well, you know what, developers always want to feel like they can, like they are able to build anything that they want. And the way that the XLP lasuer was designed was for a very very specific use case for payments, and it doesn't allow you necessarily to build anything that you could possibly want. It's very different because it doesn't have smart contracts natively baked it right, And so David was like, yeah, you know what, develop because they want to be able to just tinker an experiment, and people like are very experimental with those sorts of things. And so that was like, oh, actually, well, you know, the product market fit for blockchain really is in payments anyway, and basically taking what finance has traditionally done for hundreds and hundreds of years and bringing it on to the Ledger. And so that was the start of our initial you know, conversations together. I went up on stage with David Schwartz twice basically in the following year, sure, and we basically just started working together off the back of that, and so yeah, flash forwards today we actually have mentioned easier labs just earlier. We are going to start to build actually directly or well, maybe I've said too much already, but there's stuff that's coming.
Speaker 2: Sure you can't give more details, guys, now I understand, and maybe we'll have you back on when you know that stuff is.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is like the culmination of many, many years of figuring out what does the legend need, what does crypto need, what do users want? And also there's so much that I've learned from speaking with David, from speaking with other people on the Ripple team and the ecosystem that we just see this like there's this massive opportunity. I mean, I think one of the key things that I'm constantly amazed a is just how early we really are. And like it's people say it a lot. It's almost trite, right, It's like we're so early, but we really are, Like we speak. Our younger brothers were just saying, he just started in trading right here in New York.
Speaker 3: And there's so much that.
Speaker 1: Just happens that is so archaic that could be ten x, Like I have one hundred x improvement in efficiency just by coming on chain. But it's like we're literally like just scratching the surface.
Speaker 2: You think we're like nineteen ninety eight of the internet type if you were to make it, I.
Speaker 1: Feel like earlier, I like so much that even happens just literally with pen and paper almost or like he was showing us on his his screen. There's like this stuff I think, I don't know, like it looks like it's from like Windows XP almost and it's it's crazy. It's like not even Excel. It's like these sheets, which are you know, the just about digitized paper.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, I mean, and I tried to remind people of that, like we're very early. There's further iteration that's needed. Maybe we're in the dial up days and we haven't hit the broadband days, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I think there's a good parallel actually between how you know, the Internet first came about in you know, two thousands, for example, dot com Boom and you know crypto today, because I think in the early days of the Internet, not many people realize, you know, all of the things you could do number one, but also people didn't really trust it. And I think that's the same thing that we're seeing in crypto and blockchain. Now, people don't realize, you know, the potential of the blockchain. Most people don't realize what the use cases are. And number two, people don't really realize you know, the yeah, the sort of you know, they don't have a trust Basically, they don't realize, like the beauty of the blockchain is everything is transparent, you can see exactly what's happening. People mostly see, you know, these are just like tokens that are being launched by people, and oftentimes, if you're not in the space, allociate crypto with scams, and I think that's something that people are going to have to learn, especially if they're not already in the space. You know, we see so many people on Twitter and all over the place in person who are you know, really brought into the idea. But a lot of people still don't really grasp it if they're not you know, spending every day on Twitter, you know, consuming the stuff and actually living and breathing it. So yeah, I think, you know, we're still very very early, and once those two things are cracked, you know, obviously we're working big time. One point one, which is educating people about it. Yes, showing them the use case is why they want to build. And then number two, you know, once they sort of you know, educated, then they start to realize, Okay, this is the real piece of technology. It's not just a bunch of different coins and scams. And then you know, that's really sort of when mass adoption will happen. And that's why we found it easier, really, and that's why we see easy as being such a core bit of you know, crypto infrastructure essentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're your point. Definitely core because even in my end, I have a podcast and I still have to explain to people like family members and friends, hey, how can I make money? I'm like, wait, slow down. First I want you to read the bigcoin white paper and then read the theorem white paper. Like you don't have to understand everything, but understanding this is a technology first, and here are the benefits. And yes, you can speculate that that's one component. But it's like the Internet that you use right now. You didn't necessarily have to go invest in Google stock or you don't have to invest in it. You can use it, you can build with it, you can become an entrepreneur exactly, and that education part is so much needed.
Speaker 1: You're really right, And I think part of the reason why maybe the line is so blurred there is because blockchain is inherently financial. Yeah, And I was chatting about this together with robod and my Deelfellow one of the co founders of Polka dot actually and he, you know, we were just chatting before we went up on stage, and he was like he views tokenization as being like one of the most important parts of what's going to lead this next bill market Number one and number two also just that the blockchain really is inherently financial. There's like loads of application I think a lot of blockchains as well which have come and gone, which will try to do stuff which doesn't really target maybe the financial side. You know, there's a lot in gaming. I think gaming is interesting and sort of you know, other sorts of aspects. They're social fi, all these different like X five which have come and gone. But ultimately what stayed and what's really got product market fit is defied because blockchain solves the double spend problem. And so to your point about why, you know, people coming into the space, we're often like, well, how do I you know, maybe the way to use cryptos like you know, I just put money in and then get like more money back out. It's because like ultimately, where the product market fit is on the blockchain is these financial use cases. So I think sometimes people when they're coming just new to the space don't necessarily know the difference between the difference, you know, the difference between like using a crypto application sure, and like buying the coin right for example.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And in public blockchains, what we've seen, you need a token with value to kind of grease the system for it to work, right, And we've seen that a lot of companies are when the permission private route and it didn't work, and now they're flipping to the public blockchains. Yeah, but for the public blockchains to work, you got to have a token with value.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that was a really interesting phase as well, when there was this sort of war between permission versus permission less blockchains. And actually we see like we chat a lot with a lot of financial institutions. I'm actually consistently surprised how many have internal permissioned ledgers sure where they are running a lot of this stuff. Obviously they're not yet connected up to public blockchains, but I do see it happening where actually, because they have all this stuff in house, Yeah, there's going to be some sort of connectivity which happens where they're going to realize, actually, we can tap into this huge, huge pool of capital outside or even expand our offerings to way beyond the people who we have in our current customer base by connecting those up. So I think that we're at this phase right now where we started off totally permission less with its very public blockchains like Bitcoin, right soon after xop Leigure came along and then Ethereum, and then we were like, you know, maybe maybe there's more stuff to be done in permission blockchains, and that was again several years ago now, and then over the past couple of years were sort of we've reached this point where everybody realizes, actually permissionless as much better and much more open blockchains are better, but there's definitely still that use case where not every bank wants all their stuff to be totally public, right right, And so I think we're at the stage where we've experimented with both models, or at least lots of different people have experience with these different models, and now it's about connecting the two together.
Speaker 2: So essentially you see bridges being built for those permission to the permission less public blockchains. To your point of banks they want to use this, but internally it's fine. You can use your own blockchain, but if you want someone to trust what you're doing, you got to connect to some public blockchain.
Speaker 1: It's the percent and the beautiful thing about blockchain is not just the fact that it is like blockchain rights, like anyone of us could run our own internal block chain in house, like within our own family members. That's not what makes its exciting. It's not exciting when it's just sided within a bank. The really cool thing is this idea of like money legos, right. I think that's a really nice image to have in our minds. Sure, it's when this stuff is public, when it's permissionless and permissionless in the sense that you don't need to ask for JP Morgan's permission to use whatever yield bearing asset they have, Like you don't need to sign a contract with them, it's just they're on chain.
Speaker 3: And you realize that.
Speaker 1: Actually, maybe if you take this asset which is generating like six percent yield, and you know you can, for example, lend that out to people, right, or other people can borrow against it.
Speaker 3: You can use it as collateral.
Speaker 1: It says money lego, right, and it's like literally the lego where you would build houses together, and you can build entire ecosystems around this sort of thing. That's what's exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, jumping back to the XRP ledger, you know, one of the things you guys were mentioning about adoption and building and expanding the ledger. Do you feel though one of the roadblocks was the SEC lawsuit? Like, why would a develop our institution want to run the risk, right, because many of them are risk averse. Their legal team probably say, hey, hold off because we don't know what's happening here. But now Ripple has won, the case is done. It allows people to freely not having to look over their shoulders to go build.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, I mean I think you know, obviously, when any company has a lawsuit against it, there are obviously a lot of barriers to partnering with other companies and obviously to getting potential clients and customers, you know, in which case, yeah, it just makes it a lot harder to achieve the overall goal. But now I think you know, obviously that the case is closed and it is finally over. It feels like it's been going, you know, on forever now, But now that it's finally over, a lot of companies can now start to actually partner together with Ripple in a much more formal capacity. They can actually start to use the underlying technology. The xopy ledger. Developers are much more interested actually in building on it too, So that'll obviously help, you know, spur activity on the ledger and ultimately lead to you know, landmark projects being built that actually showcase the true power of the technology underlying. So I think definitely it's gonna be a big tailwind for report going forwards, and ultimately I think, you know, it's gonna, yeah be what actually you know, catalyzes the next stage of growth, and that's obviously one reason why we're really bullish as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. Recently I saw you guys did an interview at the Stock Exchange. You give an exerpre price prediction one thousand dollars by twenty thirty. To your point of you know, this lawsuit being over, x RPS performed really well this bullmarket cycle. It's been one of the leading all coins. Do you have a price prediction for this cycle that you can share. What are you guys thinking not.
Speaker 3: For this cycle in particular.
Speaker 4: I think you know that's that's you know, maybe something that well, well, I guess we're still formulating, sure, but you know, can release that eventually. But I think for us, you know, one of the big things is, you know, having that institutional adoption come into the space, both in terms of the technology, but then also in terms of the investment side. A lot of funds are looking now to actually deploy capital into different tokens, and one of the big drivers obviously off token price is not only retail excitement, which has obviously driven a lot of the excitement around XRP and around other tokens, but also on the institutional side, So making sure that funds can actually number one best in tokens other than bitcoin and ethereum. And I think a lot of the legal teams inside those funds or not think, but no, a lot of those legal teams are now looking at ways that they can actually deploy capital into other tokens, and that's going to obviously create a huge inflow of new capital. So you know, getting the mandates updated internally, making sure that legal then approves investments in these different products. Is going to all be huge positive catalysts because right now, you know, you turn on TV and you see on Bloomberg or CNBC, everyone's just talking about bitcoin and ethereum. Those are pretty much the only two tokens that anyone really talks about. Sometimes they'll talk about Solana, but I think what we're going to start to see is them actually talking about other tokens like XLP big time, because those are ones that you know, you just can't ignore. And obviously, now the SEC lawsuit has been you know, removed essentially from all of their you know, screens, that's something they don't have to worry about, and they can actually now start to really talk about it, but then also put money behind those words. And I think that's going to be another massive tailwind for XRP and for other old coins as well. I think as well, you know, we're going to start to see developers take notes of that, and obviously developer activity very closely follows token price as well, yes, and so when the token starts to move up in a big way, developers also start to come and follow that. So token price is obviously really important thing that I think, you know, blockchains don't always want to necessarily admit they focus on but ultimately they have to focus on it because a token that's you know, at all time lows is never going to obviously reflect well on the technology. You know, people see that and they see a chot that's just basically crashed all the way down, like a lot of the new launches that a lot of new layer ones and their tokens have seen. It's assually just like you know, a chart that just goes straight down and plateaus basically and tends towards zero. And that's obviously just not a good look for the blockchain. But also developers coming in they don't want to, you know, they don't want to see that. And I think, you know, obviously you mentioned XRP has performed so well this year. It's one of the top performing coins this year, and that's obviously given rise to a lot of people building products around XOP, you know, whether it's staking for example, whether it's you know, all sorts of services. They're looking to actually capitalize on the momentum that's around the XOP and that really strong community, and that's obviously a result of the token and I think, you know only as that's only going to continue basically as the token continues to go upwards.
Speaker 2: You know, you mentioned some great points there, and I thought of network effects, like in nature of blockchains. You can see network effects in religion and politics and crowdsourcing different movements. But to your point of developers are going to flock to chains that have network ex activity value. And it's so funny how that is playing out in the digital world, and it's a new dynamic. Is it also relates to meme coins, which you were mentioning earlier. Not necessarily an investor, but there's the network effects that things can catch on because of human nature, like we find something funny and we all crowd around it. So it's just fascinating this dynamic that's playing out.
Speaker 1: It's true, and it's very much a flywhell. Price attracts attention, Attention attracts developers. Developers then build applications which then attract more users, yes, which then has a lot of effects on the price that maybe we don't have enough time to go into the precise dynamics, but I know people are interested in how to developers affect price. There's so many different dynamics. There's obviously applications burn the tokens when they're used in transaction fees. They are also locked up in defis. That's why DeFi is so important as well, so there's a reduction in the amount of circulating supply. There are all sorts of things, and they bring new users in tons of different ways that adds value to the network. But I think coming to your point, really, when we look at an ecosystem, it really the value of an ecosystem is the people who are there in terms of users and in terms of developers. And when you mentioned meme coins again, I think where I am today is I'm not like, I'm not really against mue coins. There was a time when I thought, actually, meme coins, they're just like annoying and a bit of a waste of everybody's time. While you're wasting our time with these silly things. When the blockchain is meant for something that's a lot bigger, it's like, why do we get into this space in the first place. But I've realized that actually, over time they do attract new users. Literally, we were chatting with two new people who joined our team on the video side. They're not like you know, super you know, cryptonative, but we were chatting with them. I was like, you know what interactions we had to watching Satan as we grabbed lunch, and we were just chatting about them, and they're actually like, oh, I just like bought some meme coins because I wanted to play around, and like they're not necessarily the most blockchain native people. Sure, but they bought some meme coins to have a bit of fun. And I think what a lot of people who are really good at meme coins in terms of like building applications that people want to use on that side. Sure, what they realized that other people don't is that these are very social experiences. Yeah, that actually the blockchain has entertainment value even amongst those things. And so whereas a lot of people were looking at social fi before as being like how do we bring Facebook on chain, it's almost like maybe that's not the right analog. The right thing is like, actually meme coins trading are inherently social, people posting up screenshots of like their wallets and their wallet balances, and that's the way that these things grow. And yes, it is sort of you know, blowing the line again between like the financial side of the blockchain, the speculative side, or those different pieces. But at the end of the day, it's more eyeballs, more attention, and more people who are actually getting exposed to the blockchain, which is I think on balance in that postive.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny because it's human nature. Like you and I we could be at a coffee shop and you find a meme funny and you share it me, I'm like, this dog is so stupid, right or whatever. But now it becomes financialized. It's like this weird paradigm shift that's taking place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's kind of like, well, it's almost like a game, yeah, but it's actually you know, has some like investments that you have behind it. And I think whenever you have money involved, which is what makes you know, crypto so exciting, in many cases, it actually not only helps with retention, but also helps keep that attention you know, focused.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: It's like if you have a couple hundred dollars or a couple thousand dollars or maybe even more or less, you're just much more likely to pay attention to what's going on in the space and what's happening with that meme coin or that you know, utility token that you've invested in, and so I think, yeah, anyone who's to get into the space, the best way to do it is, you know, just put a bit of money into a couple of different tokens and then you're always forced to actually look at what's going on, and you'll spend time on Twitter, you know, you go down different rabbit holes and you'll learn a lot along the way. Whereas if you don't have much invested or don't have anything invested, it's very hard to actually, you know, keep an eye on what's happening. And yeah, it's it's a good way to force yourself to get brought into the space.
Speaker 2: And it's funny because there's new possibilities that you know, maybe it's a bit weird for our generation, but future generations may now look at it is weird. Like everything tokenized in a way, right, the token economy relationships, I don't know, like love coins, I don't know.
Speaker 3: They still be together in twenty years. Yeah, prediction markets, prediction markets.
Speaker 2: You just think all the different things that could be tokenized and just taking human behavior like what we do in our normal day lives in society, and it goes on chain. Not everything, but a lot of it.
Speaker 3: I think it's.
Speaker 1: Really what a lot of this boils down to, as well as truth, like money and financializing, a lot of these things bring out the truth. I think that a lot of people there's this big, big meta right now, and what a lot of people realize are realizing is that, for example, like you bring up prediction markets, a lot of people have realized and are realizing today that the news that we see in the mainstream media doesn't have an incentive to actually give us correct news or the right news, right. Their incentive is to get us to watch for as long as possible so they can make as much money as possible selling ads, so to string us along and just to get us to you know, watch till the end or come and you know, turn on the TV again, whereas in reality the story might be very very simple, right. I think we see it all the time with things like you know, it's often amazing. I mean social media as well as in some ways also contributes to this in terms of like, you know, people on YouTube might want to like string you along to the when they could have just like given you the answer, right, and so that all the dynamics are sort of a little bit messed up, right, because the way that people are at this attention economy works is about retaining eyeballs. Yes, whereas you go to something like a prediction market and you can see, oh, this is what people really really think. And so we see a lot with for example, hoaxes. I think this week there was a big hoax about like how Donald Trump was dead or something like that. It's like, obviously, it's very interesting, like if that were the case, then you know, you want to click. They're like what actually happened? But in reality it could just be complete nonsense. And it's like the news and the entertainment is all mingled together and that is what really benefits like people who make up that sort of news, whereas in reality, like the financial side of it can just bring everything to the fore and it's like, you know, almost like sunlight is the best disinfect and it's like, I don't know finance or money, just put your money where your mouth is, right, is that sort of thing. And at the end of the day, those sorts of things really just like bring a lot of truth to light.
Speaker 2: I hope is eventual because I'm starting to see like AI driven content, deep fakes and things like that. Right that, eventually blockchain and AI is used to verify content. So if you see a rumor, where's this from? And you can maybe click on a dialogue box and shows the history this came from this profile, This is not a credible source, most likely fake, YadA YadA. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's a lot of interesting stuff, and maybe this is going off topic it a bit, but I personally think it's the idea of a truth bond is very interesting.
Speaker 3: It's like, if I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, CNN or whatever, use out that there is has skin in the game that if what they're saying is not true and it comes out turns out not to be true later on, they're going to give up that money.
Speaker 3: Then that's interesting. That's going to force them to be a lot more accurate with every.
Speaker 2: Sure, Yeah, they got to be accountable, right, Yeah, that makes sense. And I wonder, yeah, like media and all these things can be disrupted by blockchain and throw an AI into there, and it could really help the future of information.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's not as entertaining, you know, you'll just see, like you go on a prediction market and it's like yes or no. Yeah, yeah, but then you've got your fix of information. That's it right, Well he needs no Trump is alive. Yeah, but the world will be in a better place.
Speaker 2: People wouldn't be gaslighted and fear mongering and all that, and we could probably get along a lot better. Maybe it's like you know in history, you see in civilization we have these dips and then because new technologies are new things come along and they expose us, and then collectively as a civilization, we have to learn and then grow from there. Like these things have happened over time, and the technology is here to help us do that, to learn and grow beyond these things. Definitely anyway, not to get off the crypto train here. So Genius Act pass, huge for stable coins. Clarity Act coming up in the fall, potentially passing in the Senate. What do you think the Clarity Act would mean for the market? And you guys are as builders.
Speaker 1: I think the key thing that I made a tweet about this actually even like a year or a year and a half ago, but I always said that legal clarity is one of the biggest biggest factors in terms of driving economic activity and adoption. I like, my background is in engineering and in law, and so I was an attorney. I still technically I am an attorney in New York. But one of the things that we were taught at law school and that we have seen true today is that when you have certainty in the law, when people can do business, when people can do things and they are not going to be called back on retroactive laws, be punished retroactively or for stuff that they didn't even know some sort of like calf guess sort of stuff. That's when things happen a lot more smoothly, and that literally has a very very clear impact on the amount of economic value that can be created. So you look at a country like this compared to a country that is very much behind, let's say economically, often you can look at the legal system and you can see that things aren't clear, there are there's no effective enforcement of contracts, so people can't actually do business together. This was actually yeah. We were at the xrpl Apex conference in Singapore and Ripple had invited a couple of speakers as well who are talking about the legal system in Brazil, and they said that apparently, if like legal judgments or like claims, even if you win take about like I think no, no, yes debts they take about ten years to be enforced or like twenty years, and that's insane, right, So you can imagine that it's very very hard to do business like that and to tie to tie things back to genius act to clarity. When we have clarity over well, clarity, that's why it's name like that. If we have clarity over which digital assets are securities, why they might not be securities, that can just mean that everyone, you can do it a lot more together, right, It means that economic activity can absolutely explode and so very very bullsh on just certainty. I think there's even regardless of you know, what final form these things might take, what amendments might take, I think they're just having clarity over those things.
Speaker 3: Obviously.
Speaker 1: A key part as well is the fact that and how we test has been very very difficult. Let's say, I mean obviously in some respects it's outdated and previous. You know, some people have said, up, it's actually fine, it's fit for purpose. But I think the broad broad consensus in the Web three community is it's very difficult, and I think it's very easy to see how it can be interpreted to say that something as of securities and something's on and it's not like you can't just be a normal person and just realize that, you know, Okay, this is what I can do, this is what I can't do. It's like you're going to get legal opinions from lawyers and even then like not totally sure, and but the value is that you just legal opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think that those sorts of things are extremely important, and I think that could offer in just so many more people. Similar to how like what Don was saying about sec lawsuit against Ripple, those sorts of things held back Ripple, right, made it much more difficult for it to do business. Similar thing for what we're seeing with the Clarity Act. I think just it's going to open the floodgates to business being done on the blockchain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think, you know, institutions don't want to get into a space that they don't know it's going to be around number one, because of regulations, and number two, they don't want to get into a space that you know, anything can change in in the next couple of years, because those institutions have a long time horizon, you know, investments are looked at over years, you know, five to ten years. Funds are raised, you know, to deploy capital over a while, and they don't want to, you know, deploy capital in something that they don't think is going to be around, and that could just you know, one day become illegal. Even though you can't you know, like we were saying, obviously get rid of the blockchain, you can make it a lot harder for people to invest and therefore obviously the press price. I think as well in terms of young people getting into the space, it'll be a big green stamp you know from like you know, the SEC and from proper government bodies that this is a legitimate institution, legitimates you know, company, legisimate sector, and you know, you can actually build a career in the space, as opposed to before where it's like maybe I'll go in for a little bit, you know, maybe launch token and then you know, disappear and you know, go do another project or something, or go get a real job. I think people start to realize, you know, crypto is something where you can actually make a long time career out of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm excited, man, because this setup is beautiful here with legislation, trad fi and all these folks are coming in and in more capital. It's I see like maybe a big economic boom coming out of this industry, kind of like the imployee, like a lot of wealth, created a lot of jobs and much more.
Speaker 4: That's why it's called web three. Yeah, you know, Web two is what we're in right now. Web three is what's coming. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the hard question, and which I don't know which one of you want to answer, is but what does web three look like in twenty thirty five years from now?
Speaker 1: That's a really good question. I think people often say the five year bit. It's probably the hard bit, right because it's not so close that you know exactly what's going to happen, but it's not so far away that it could be wildly, you know, wildly off into the future. And things have like a ton of time. I think five years from now will.
Speaker 3: Be in twenty thirty. That was actually pretty crazy. Yeah, twenty thirty.
Speaker 1: I actually remember when I was a kid, I was thinking like even twenty twenty would be like complete future. Sure, But yeah, I think in terms of where we will be, I think one thing is for certain, which is that we're going to have way more of what currently happens in finance on chain exactly which pits I will take a couple of bets I say, I think people have already started to trust their banks less. I don't know a single person who likes their bank, and I think that if anybody could get away from the bank, they would. So we have evolved into this system where where banks previously were providing a service to us, most of us are actually hostages to our banks now, Like we just have our money in there. When we try to take it out, they're like, no, what are you using that for? If we try to send it to other people, they're like, who are using that?
Speaker 3: You know? What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What are you financing? Is like no, I'm just trying to pay an invoice, Like that's it. I think that they we're really fundamentally getting a raw deal in many respects, and that's ultimately why banks were able to make so much money. We've also seen with the collapse of Silicon Valley Bank and having to be rescued and all these, you know, the regional banking crisis, really really really recently, that money is actually not super safe in a bank right fractional reserve banking. I think if I'm looking at one area that I think is going to really really change and that I personally actually want to drive forwards, it's to help make this system a lot safer, right where actually you can again be in control of your own assets, right, And I think that comes down to obviously the money in your bank acount. It is easiest to think about just getting control over your own money again, right, having that safe, safer way from banks like lending it out irresponsibly, because at the end of the day, they are profit driven institutions, and whenever you are extremely profit driven, you're going to be forced to take more and more risk. Right, you want to take your own risk with your own money. If you want to lend it out, you should just be lending it out, and you should get like, you know, the full apuy on that. But you're making that decision, you're in control. I think that if you know, we're talking about property rights as well, I think having property rights very clearly being enforced as well on the blockchain, your rights to your money, your rights to your property, all these sorts of things. So I fundamentally just think that within the next five years. It's not like super long. So I'm not going to say the stuff about maybe like you know, all sorts of democracy coming on chain. I think that's like up there. Ultimately, that's why web three was created to bring the principles of democracy. As Gavin Wood said, who you know coined the word into the Internet as we know it today. But I think, yeah, I think that probably it's really going to start off with finance. I think banks are going to be given a run for their money in terms of when we have these competing products which are just as good as having your you know, you might have your money in chase, but you might equally just have it on chain. You know, it could be on the XRP lher and it's always there for you. You can have a look and it's like the balance that you see there is the real balance. You can always take it out any one time. I probably think that in five years that is going to look very different. I think that we're going to have like challenge of banks which are totally on the blockchain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's going to be an interesting world dominat know, if do you have any additional thoughts on that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think we'll covered it all pretty well.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think as well.
Speaker 4: The other big thing that we're going to start to see is tokenization of real estates. Not only tokenization, but then also a big focus on letting individual investors invest in real estate in a way that they couldn't previously, So tokenizing real estate, but then also then allowing individuals to buy shares off you know, office buildings for example, and you know, getting dividends you know, from the rent payments, et cetera. So I think that's going to be a huge one because there's so much real estate, you know, it's not billions worth, it's literally trillions worth, you know, all over the world, you know, from New York to all the major cities, and allowing people to actually on a retail level invest in those projects and you know, make money. So I think that's another huge aspect that people aren't really factoring in yet. It's the tokenization of yeah, just you know, pretty much everything. But obviously real estate's a very natural one to be tokenized in the first place.
Speaker 1: It's in many ways a blockchain super app. Yeah, right, five years we could have a blockchain super app where you don't like, it's your web three equivalent or blockchain equivalent of your bank. You get access to all these different opportunities at the end of the day as well. It is these money legos again, right, So you've got the money in your account, You've got these different investment opportunities. You can package them up in different sorts of ways. You could even have your own stable coin, for example, which is collateralized maybe by these different things, by the yields that you get on your real estate, all these different types of things all put together so that you can actually, for the first time, really be fully in control. You have different stable coins, you have different types of yields, and I think as well, crucially, I think one of the key things here is a lot of people have realized that the money that they put into their savings account and the USR they hold is just continuously deflating. Well, it's going down and right appreciating. Yeah, So I think that this is one of the biggest biggest tailwinds for blockchain right now, is that people realize they want to get out of the system. And I think we're going to see a lot of people actually coming to it because of.
Speaker 2: That final item here, Because there's a lot happening on x a lot of cryptotribalism link marines versus XRP army in this ari. It's funny because it's what we've been talking about earlier with network effects, right, everybody's kind of trying to grab more people to their network more value. Isn't it funny again? Human nature playing on on the blockchain?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think, you know, it's one of the things that makes crypto fun community. But I think as well, you know, sometimes it can go a bit too far ye either direction. I think, you know, obviously you don't need to fight against each other because the space is still so nascent, and you know, in the grand scheme of things, only seven percent of the world actually on crypto today, and so there's so much more that you can actually spend your time getting as opposed to fighting with the existing small crowds. And so I think, you know, from our perspective, we work with a bunch of different blockchains, ones we're most personally bullish on as well, and ultimately, I think, you know, for us, we just want to grow the space as opposed to fighting over the you know, the small sort of population that's currently in the space relative to what it can be. You know, it can be so much bigger, and I think that's really where people should be focused on, not just you know, trying to get people away from one token to the other, because you know, there's always ways that you can, like you know, spin arguments and you know, split up facts and look at different like token prices of a different horizons that make one look you know, better than the other. And I think that's more of a futile thing as opposed to getting new capital into the space, new developers, new blood, new retail audience, even into the whole crypto space. And that's you know, ultimately how the tides are going to rise, and it'll lift up all the boats along the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well said Tom phil Pleasure looking forward to the future updates around easy A and looking forward to the XRP ledger news. But thank you guys for taking the time to do one