Speaker 1: Hi, and welcome to the NBA Podcast. My name is Morten Jensen, and if you heard just the sound of clicking, you know who my guest is today, and that is mister Brian Taborick. We are going to cover some breaking news here. On July twenty fourth, Jayshon Tate has agreed to rejoin the Houston Rockets for a one year, three million dollar contract. That is what we're here to talk about, obviously. So, Brian, your initial take on Jayshon Tate returning to the Rockets.
Speaker 2: I didn't even see that he was on my list of potential sixers targets if they whiffed on Lebron which published on Thursday.
Speaker 3: So that's a bummer.
Speaker 1: Oh oh all right, all right, that happened too. Yeah, all right, Perhaps we should just say congratulations to Jay Shawn Tate and then get into the actual interesting bit, which is Jylen Brown not knowing what to do with his role now.
Speaker 3: I guess I think something tells me I've seen a lot of this, like concern trolling over this.
Speaker 1: I mean, no, it's it's just funny. I don't think he cares one bit.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine anyone on the sixers.
Speaker 2: Is gonna care too much about having to make some sacrifices Now, I'm gonna go out on a limb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same, same, I wrote as much over Red Yah who. I just think they're all going in and for those who's been living under a rock. Lebron James obviously has signed with the Philadelphia seventy six ers two years, eight million over the two years second years of player options, so that is technically a minimum contract. I think they rounded it up because I think that the mid deal is like three point nine something, so the actual contract is probably like seven point eight million something. Along with those lines, he just basically said, screw the money. I'm going for a championship. I'm going for a basketball glory and honestly, respect respect, I can dig it. I think that is perfectly reasonable. I know people will say, oh, he did it again, he joined a good team, and they'll make Kevin Durant jokes as well, just like from the twenty sixteen offseason. I just look, the man is forty one, he's served his time, he was a free agent. He can do whatever he dan. Well, police's asmars.
Speaker 2: I'm concerned also, like will people make those jokes having seen what's happened with the Sixers over the last fifteen years, Like this is not I mean, yes, you know, David Bannerman of ESPN said this was like driven by you know, he wanted to win and he thought this gave him the best chance to do so. But also, the Sixers have been cursed to suffered just the weirdest thing. I mean, Joelle Embiid had a goddamn appendectomy a week before the playoffs started this past season. So this is not like cave Kevin Durrett joining the Warriors, like the Sixers not the current title favorites. Even after making this move, you know, I think of the options that he had, this gave, you know, I think the Sixers arguably were his best chance to win. But this is not like we just at you know, created a dynasty that no team should even bother competing against over the next one to two years. This is just you know, he the money was relatively even regardless of where he went. I mean, I know the Warriors could have potentially given him the non tax MLLE, although that would have required some maneuvering, but otherwise it was like minimum or taxpayer mL E. And when you're a ten year veteran like Lebron or twenty four you're.
Speaker 3: A bubble up more than Yeah, anyone.
Speaker 2: With ten or more years of experience is earning three point nine The taxpayer emily is six point one million, So like two million dollars that much of a difference when you're you know, Jams, Yeah, you're you're a billionaire, right, Like, money was clearly not a factor. I mean, it's just it's insane. It's insane that the Sixers were able to add or any team like the fact that he is willing to sign for a minimum contract is just paradigm breaking in this this era of the NBA where you know, other teams are giving away John Morant for free or trading Jalen Brown for twenty cents on the dollar because of money, and then you have this that just breaks everything that Oudam Silver and the NBA was hoping to accomplish in terms of, you know, money forcing parody.
Speaker 3: This is the exact opposite of that.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna guess the league is not going to investigate this as they are with Garrett Truck Junior.
Speaker 2: One would hope, I mean hopefully the league realizes that you know, he didn't have. There was not a fifty million dollar option on the table. I don't think Lebron, you know, assuming he plays three more years and you know, the Sixers, if he finishes out this contract, the Sixers will have his early bird rights heading into his what age forty four season, so that thinks maybe we'll get a Gary Trent junior s contract there. But yeah, I mean this is just the money was. It was what it was at this point. He is at a point in his career and of his life where money was relatively inconsequential, and it was just where's the best fit, where's the best chance to give me a championship? And he thought it was Phially.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's wrong either. Like, obviously this team had four star or at least start caliber because Edgecombe great rookie, but like we don't know if he's just like a star yet. But like they had four quality pieces in the starting lineup, they had a gaping hole at the four. Lebron will just slide right into that slot. It's gonna be embid Lebron, Jaln Brown, VJ Hcombe, Tyrese MAXI. It has to be the most potent starting lineup in the Eastern Conference at least. Like the big question here is health like and understandably so, but I get it, like I get the russianale behind this. By the way, if he's like twenty years in, does that mean you you qualify for seventy percent of the salary cap.
Speaker 3: Don't give the NBA any ideas. Got a new CBA coming up in a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Oh god no. But like, I just I like the FIT. I just I don't think you can point at this and argue against the fit or the logic. I just don't think you can argue against anything here. It just makes sense. And you know, one player in particular who I think Lebron is just gonna mesh with so so well is MAXI because Maxy is sort of like Lebron. You know, he'll have a game where he has forty plus points, but if the play dictates that he sacrifices his own shot and gets the ball to the right player at the right time, he will do that. Like, I think Maxy's overall basketball, like you, is somewhat underrated. I don't think we spend enough time talking about it because we usually reserve that conversation to guys who have like huge assist numbers, and Maxi is like somewhat pedestrian in that area. But I just think he and Lebron will mesh so well because they share this mindset of just making the right play again and again and again.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think Maxi was probably the biggest reason that Lebron Joe's Philly. That he's professed his love for Maxie repeated. Maxi is a rich Paul client, so they have a relationship through Clutch Sports. They've worked out together in the off season. I remember there was some anecdote like way back when about how you know Lebron famously like for workouts, We'll get there like two or three hours early and it is already in the gym, and like Maxie I think showed up at five point thirty one day and Lebron was already there and he's like, all right, I gotta up my ante here. But yeah, I think they're wired that same way in that they're just hungry, competitive, love the game of basketball. I think this like fit wise, I've seen a lot of you know, questions about like, wow, the Sixers have a lot of guys who want to touch the ball, and they don't have a lot of shooting on the roster, which I think is a fair concern. Like, you know, Nick Nurse certainly has his work cut out for him. I would point out Lebron this past season, especially toward the end of the year, you know, really willingly took a step back in that regard and kind of deferred more to Luka Doncic and Austin Reeves and moved into more of a tertiary role, which you know, then he proceeded to let everyone know what a big sacrifice that was at.
Speaker 3: This stage of his career.
Speaker 2: But you know, I don't think the Sixers are signing Lebron James. I don't think Lebron James is hanging the Sixers with the expectation of like the ball is going to be in my hand every single possession. I think they're going to want to utilize him as a decoy at times, although I do think, you know, they don't want the ball in Maxi's hands every possession either. I think this between the additions of Jalen Brown and Lebron James now this offseason, you know, and VJ. Edgecombe last year as well, already started making strides in this direction. I'm sure it's going to be the focus of his this offseason as well. They've got really now four guys that can initiate the offense on any given play, which is going to enable Maxi to operate a lot more off the ball, yeah, than he has in the last couple of years, which is I would argue that's where he's at his most dangerous. You know, he is such a good catch and shoot, three point shooter, good cutter, just so lightning quick that you know, if he if he gets open. Like the chemistry, the passing chemistry between Lebron and Maxie is gonna be sublime.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I saw someone in the Livertiballer slack. I think it was from ESPN research. Maxie and Lebron were the league's two leading fast break points scorers last year, so I think this, you know, it's gonna be interesting how this fits with Embiid, who has historically not been a super up tempo, fast paced guy. But hey, second form, Yeah, I think it's gonna basically have to be that because, like the rest of this roster is now designed to fly up and down the floor like I I mean, they're gonna be so dynamic in transition now that I think there was just such an obvious like Lebron's sized void on this team where you know, Dean Wade would have been fine as the starting power forward, but now slotting Lebron James in there instead.
Speaker 1: It Yeah, like even Dean Wade has to be like, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would think so. I would think so.
Speaker 2: And so, like you know, I've seen the the Jaylen Brown stuff about how he's gonna, you know, not want to operate off the ball, still want to be the number one alpha guy. It's like, you know, I I would imagine all of these guys, you know, based on the reporting and be MAXI Jalen Brown were really leading the way in terms of recruitment for Lebron from the Sixers standpoint, And I doubt Jalen Brown is calling Lebron and is saying like, hey, Lebron, just so it's clear, if you come here, I'm still number one.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say.
Speaker 2: He's probably telling Lebron, look, man, you come here, I'm going to sacrifice and we do whatever it takes.
Speaker 3: Like I don't need the ball in my hand possession.
Speaker 2: I think Jalen Brown is going to be very hungry to prove both the analytics community and the Celtics wrong, and I think that's going to be one.
Speaker 3: Of his primary focuses this year. And I think, whatever it takes to do.
Speaker 1: That, analytics community, I'm going to show you, I'm going to take nineteen mid range shots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, Okay.
Speaker 1: Great, great plan. So I want to get into VJ. Edgecombe before we get into other players and everything. Uh, second to your guy obviously had a great rookie season. I'm sitting here thinking this is going to be like a long term investment play as well, just him laying next to Lebron, you know, training next to Lebron. Like, I don't think he's necessarily going to even have a statistically superior season year two than he did in year one, at least like rosstats wise. I think he's going to be more efficient, but that's sort of besides the point. Like for me, I think for Edgecombe, next season is going to be about sacrificing. It's going to be about learning. It's going to be like absorbing just what Lebron does on a daily basis, and then when he enters year three. All good heavens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, what's interesting about kind of the long term picture here is that one Jalen Brown is now eligible for an extension in two days.
Speaker 3: It's only a one year deal. I don't necessarily think or.
Speaker 2: Know that the Sixers are going to give it to him, but as just something to keep in the back of the mind. Two, pull up the Sixers cap sheet if you don't have it up already, all right, and then go to twenty eight and twenty nine because I will tell you as a spoiler. Joelle Embiid, Jalen Brown, Tyres, Yeah, are all set to become unrestricted free agents after the twenty eight twenty nine season, assuming Umbeid picks up his sixty seven point two million dollar player option in twenty eight twenty nine, which feels like a safe bet. VJ edgecomb that offseason is slated to be a restricted free agent, so this does not interfere with anything regarding their long term planning. Yeah, Lebron coming to this team, even if he picks up his player option next year, you know that has no bearing on what.
Speaker 1: Oh no, adding four million dollars on the cap sheet for Lebron James.
Speaker 2: That's right, pouring out for Josh Harris. He is going to have to pay the luxury tax this year. But yeah, I mean this, the Sixers still have an opportunity to pivot, and I think they will. You know this is this feels like a one or two year window with this group, and then you get to twenty eight, twenty nine, Lebron is probably presumably retired at that point.
Speaker 3: We'll see if the Sixers.
Speaker 1: We say this every single cockdal.
Speaker 3: I know, maybe not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe the fuckery will just continue till he's fifty. But I bring this up because the NBA can also have a new CBA after the twenty eight twenty nine season. The current one runs through twenty nine and thirty, but either side can opt out after twenty eight twenty nine. Right, So part of me thinks that this is just we're gonna basically do what the Celtics did in twenty twenty three and say, like, we got a two year window with his group, and then we're gonna have to start picking and choosing. Like I'm I don't know if Jalen Brown is here beyond twenty nine to thirty or beyond twenty eight twenty nine. But right now, I don't care, and I don't think anyone should. I think Sixers fans to just enjoy this whatever this winds up being for the next one to two year and worry about the future later. I mean it, This just makes everything kind of click into place. And I will say the one area I think that they still need to address this offseason, or at least at some point between now and the playoffs. The backup center depth is still questionable at best, I would argue, But forward depth was also a big concern for this team. Like before Lebron came, it was Jalen Brown, and then the only other sort of small forward on the roster was Justin Edwards. Now, suddenly the forward depth looks a little bit better. When you've got Lebron and Jalen Brown in the starting lineup. You've got Dean Wade coming off the bench, you have Don Barlow, Justin Edwards, Jabari Walker assuming he is still in town. I'm assuming Dale and Terry is getting waived as part of this, because right now the Sixers do not have enough room under the hard cap to officially sign Lebron, so there are other small shoes to drop at some point, right, But backup center is one that I'm going to keep a pretty close eye on because I don't know that Huck Porty, A M. Bona and Jani Broom are you know, the.
Speaker 1: Backup You can say it, Brian, It's okay.
Speaker 2: I just especially you know, now, the Sixers are clearly all in on winning this year. Those guys are good. But you know, Bona is fine. Porty, we don't know. He was a third string center last year. We've barely seen them. Broom no, but I'm assuming he's getting traded to the Lakers for Bronni at any minute now.
Speaker 3: But but yeah, like they're.
Speaker 2: Gonna need a veteran big and there's not a ton of options on the market. I think Nick Rich and Kelly olynnok are probably the best two other than that, you know, I I think I think they're I FanDuel right now. I believe they are right behind the next in terms of Eastern Conference favorites, and then both teams are well behind the Eastpurs and Thunder for obviously using for title favorites. Look, man, even if they don't win the title, the six Ers haven't made it to the conference finals in twenty five years, Like the bar is pretty low here from Lebron. You make it to the conference finals and it's a success.
Speaker 1: No, you're right, you're right. And they also have some optionality within like the course of the season before the trade that line, Like, I'm sure they'll figure something out, Like I wouldn't be surprised if they spend the first couple of months just kind of seeing what they have and then tinkering a little bit, Like we've seen that before. That doesn't look If le Baron Phylon is good, that's that becomes a thing, right, Like because if he's immediately one of your best guards, then you also have sort of a decision to make, like do you want to go all in for a guy who's more win now approach sheet where you'd like dangle Pylon or do you just rock with him and say screw that, Like he's young, you need the youth him and Chcomb in the playoffs, we're good. I there are so many paths they can walk here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, man, it's gonna say if they trade Filon, maybe they're gun shy after the Jared McCain reaction last year, But you know, now looking back on that like, they've got three second round picks to dangle to. I guess they traded a couple for for Jalen Brown already, but yeah, they still have so they don't have many first round picks they can offer. They've already traded twenty eight and thirty one in the Jaln Brown deal, which means Stepian rule, can't trade twenty seven to twenty nine, can't trade thirty or thirty two, so they can all only trade their twenty thirty three first round pick. They have as many as four swaps that they can offer, and I believe as many as nine tradable second round picks. I think the tricky thing is that they don't have contracts right Like it's the Big three VJ. Dean Wade is the next highest paid player at nine million, Simons at six million, and then it's Filon at three point six.
Speaker 1: So Dean Wade, you are a trade candidate. Welcome to Philadelphia. It might be gone by January.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think there's a non zero chance to the team weight it does not finish the season, and Phillip there's non zero chances the Simons doesn't finish the season.
Speaker 3: Eire like if want to a.
Speaker 1: Great deal now, like Simons is always could have been a good deal, but it's like even better now just him spotting up off the bench.
Speaker 3: My god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like this team is offensively speaking, the Sixers should have the most potent offense in the East, maybe even the league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think if everything clicks, I mean, all five guys are just you know, VJ is not quite there yet, but the other four have made multiple All Star teams at this point of their careers. Like yeah, I can't. I mean, the Knicks would be the only other one.
Speaker 3: And I think.
Speaker 2: When McHale is presumably the worst one offensively in that, I guess Josh Hart too hard.
Speaker 1: And bridges right, like just inconsistency wise, but like, yeah, I just think the again, this is baking in health from the Sixers, healthy Embid, healthy Brown. And look that is also like we just have to acknowledge that. And Bet is going to miss games like he just is. I wouldn't be surprised to Brown as well missus twenty plus games held. Lebron himself could miss twenty plus games. And what the luxury is is that when you have this amount of good players, you can fill in for one another another like and beat goes down for two weeks. All right, you up the load a little bit for Lebron, Jalen Brown, Tyres, Maxie. They all chime in a little bit more. MAXI goes down for a week or two. Well, here you go, Anthony Simons, Leveron Fylon and Lebron James, Like, now you take over the offense like it's it's it's just the luxury of not having to, you know, claw and scratch your way to a certain point total, like you will find points organically within this scheme.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think I don't know how you don't. If you don't, Nick Nurse should be fired yesterday.
Speaker 1: Right right, So we're gonna take a short commercial break and then we'll be back with like the rippling effect of the Lebron James decision. Oh my god, another dish. All right, Brian, let's get into the trickle down effect. So you had something to say before we went on. You had some sort of predictions, you basically said, Demarto Ross And now because Lebron has fine found his home in Philly, like you think Damar is gonna go to what's it? Miami? And then I think, you said, Jonathan Kuminga to Cleveland, Like, what is like the overall prediction from your point of view?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think we're gonna probably see a lot of moves in the next couple of days. I think Lebron was holding up a lot for the interested suitors. I mean, obviously James Harden is going to resign with the Calves, Draymond's gonna resign with the Warriors. I'm very curious to see the terms of Harden's deal. In particular, I think the Calves will do whatever it takes to say under the second Aprin because they finished over it last year, so they do not want to be in danger of you know, they've already got the what twenty thirty three first round pick frozen. If they finish over the second Apron in two of the next four years, the twenty thirty three pick will automatically go to the bottom of the first round, which I would imagine they have no interest in doing. So whatever they sign hardened too, and maybe the hardened thing waits so as they sniff out Kaminga possibilities. One would think that Max s Truce will be some of the matching salary going out in that trade.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, the Lakers are the other team that's been after Kaminga, and they've been like doggedly pursuing him with Jared Vanderbilt. Would have been the salary going out they, because they are under the first apron, could have offered him a lot more than what Van do.
Speaker 3: Do is earning.
Speaker 2: I think it's like close to twenty one million as a starting salary. I don't know how the Calves get up that high because they I mean, right now they're thirty eight million dollars under the second apron, twenty five million dollars below the first apron. So once they resigned hard and they're presumably right up against that first apron, which is going to mean they can't take back more salary than they send out in a trade. Struce is at sixteen point seven, so maybe they send out both Struce and sam Merril if sixteen points that or Shrewder they can send out in a deal as well.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It feels like Kamingo was waiting for Lebron to happen, and now there's going to be the saddest bidding war of all time between the Calves and the Lakers for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: DeRozan, I know has been linked to the Heat. I sure. I guess that's exactly what they need. Another forward who can't shoot, so that's perfect fit.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, good luck with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean Mario Hazzonia. I saw he's coming back to the NBA. I believe he was between Golden State and Cleveland. So assuming Comingo goes Cleveland, I guess Hazonia is going to the Warriors.
Speaker 1: It's like, am I being an asshole if I just say Pickwolf?
Speaker 2: Hey, he was the MVP of the league that he was in this past year in Spain.
Speaker 3: Like kind of turned it around.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, no international, Yes, I I just don't think like he's well maybe maybe I'm being harsh. I just don't think he plays the best in the NBA system. I think he's so much more of a like a thinker and like with the smaller space courts in Europe. I think that is like his claims of fame. I like, technically, for the most players, they like to play more in an open court setting. I think he's kind of the opposite. So we'll see. Like I am open to being wrong here, absolutely sure. Yeah, and by the way, the Spanish team he was on Real Madrid, sir, like the most potent Spanish club ever, both in football and basketball. All right, the Spanish club. How dare you you podcast the European for ten years?
Speaker 3: Sorry that I am not grinding Mario Hiszonia tape these days.
Speaker 2: He was also on my list of backup plans for the Xers if they lived on Lebron. Oh, that's the only reason I know that he won the MVP in that league.
Speaker 1: I mean, look in fairness to his Sonia. Actually, like he started his career out in Orlando when Orlando was just like this pitiful franchise that couldn't get anything off the ground, like at all. So I will actually give him that liked he also, speaking of Lebron, didn't he didn't he block the absolute shit out of Lebron when he was a nick. Wasn't there something there between the two or dunked on.
Speaker 3: Him or something that does sound familiar now that you mention.
Speaker 1: It, right, there was something he did where everyone was like, oh my god, I don't remember. It was a blog. It was something along those lines. So like it's just come full full circle that we're talking about Lebron and then coming up with Mario Hissnia. But I will give him this. You're you're right, so brace yourself with this. This season with Real Madrid, he averaged seventeen and a half points in twenty three point nine minutes. Yeah, all right, Like if he's got that offensive game that can actually now be transferred to the NBA at h what thirty one? Forty one? Oh that's not too bad? No, all right, all right, fine, fuck it, let's go all in on Mario Hoshana's return to the NBA. I'm down. I fuck with that.
Speaker 3: Maybe he'll come to the Sixers too.
Speaker 1: If he If I remember correctly and it was a block, he should absolutely come in with the biggest fucking swacker and just point to Lebron like you remember, you remember?
Speaker 3: I just spectacular?
Speaker 1: Who do we have else? Like the free agency market is more or less like outside of the players you mentioned, like there aren't like a ton of guys like do we what do we like foresee happening in Philadelphia? Because like they will not necessarily have a lot of maneuverability, right right, yeah, they have none?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Like literally they are five hundred thousand dollars over the hard gap right now, So something they're gonna wave Daily and Terry and then of course of course, but like I don't know, they can't even afford a minimum contract right now, right, So is.
Speaker 1: That a trade? Could Could the Sixers call up Reil Madrid and go, well, like Mario is leaving anyway, you need a former NBA player, can we?
Speaker 2: I mean, they like I'm not even saying this facetiously, they might have to trade Dominic Barlow just to make room under the apron, because I just don't know, Like you Wight, Okay, they're five hundred thousand over Dale and Terry's a two point six, so you wipe him out sign Lebron. You're now two point one million dollars under a minimum's two point what like four two point more than two point four. So they don't have enough room under the apron for a minimum contract right now, or at least for anyone with two or more years of experience, and like they can't you know, they just signed Wade, they just signed Simon's you're not getting rid of Filne presumably, right. They just signed hak Porty, which that that one was the one that like I still don't fully understand why they dipped into the bi annual. It doesn't matter now, I guess, But like why they gave him three point four million instead of two point four million really tied their hands in a bad way right now. I mean, Jabari Walker is at two point six but already two hundred and fifty thousand of that is guaranteed. So if you wave him and then sign someone else, you're adding one hundred thousand dollars to the books. I yeah, I mean, like waving Terry's step one. I'm ninety nine percent sure that's coming any minute now. And then Yeah, I mean, I do wonder. I think Barlow is probably gonna have to go unless the other option is that they signed someone with zero or one years of experience because that and then just have open roster spots or have a open roster sparkling in the season. Oh let me, I'm gonna do some quick math here. I don't even know if that gets them there.
Speaker 1: Oh, so they're in trouble.
Speaker 3: Trouble, Let's see.
Speaker 1: This is, by the way, great, this is like a great audio experience.
Speaker 3: Just Brian, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm gonna wipe out Dale and Terry.
Speaker 3: Okay, we add Lebron, Yeah, yeah, yeah, add Lebron.
Speaker 2: There four hundred and fifty thousand, or almost four hundred and sixty thousand over you take out Terry, they're at two point one two seven million. No, someone with one year of experienced a two point one eight five So they have to sign an undrafted free agent.
Speaker 1: Okay, or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's the only option.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I oh, they're absolutely going to trade team, but way later on.
Speaker 3: I would I think that's a possibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, right, like that's the I mean.
Speaker 3: They're gonna have to do something. They gotta do.
Speaker 2: Something now, right, I mean they've only got thirteen guys, oh right, or they will only have Okay, so the.
Speaker 1: Sixers have one more, like they have one more trade in there, like in the cylinder at this point. Then that we have to like look ahead to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they have they'll have if they assuming they wave Terry, they'll have thirteen guys under contract. Two point one million dollars is under the heart hardcap. So they either sign someone sign an undrafted rookie free agent who would be one point four million, and that I mean, that's their only option. They either go into the season with thirteen guys under contract, they signed someone an undrafted free agent to a mind deal, or they have to trade someone, And I'm like, I mean they could look to trade embiid I guess, but.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Lebron.
Speaker 2: I mean, I literally just published the piece this morning at Liberty Bollers about what an Anthony Davis trade might look like for the Sixers. But that would actually add money to their books. So that's that's not going to do it any good. Thanks for them right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, man.
Speaker 1: It's all right, so we can we can then calculate at like currently, it doesn't make a whole bunch of sense to expect, like, you know, ring Chasers approach Philadelphia because they just don't have the financial tools to make that work. All right. Then let's get into other teams, like is there a team out there who you think can still make a sort of underrated move, be them signing or a trade, like is cominga arguably the biggest piece left because.
Speaker 2: I guess Matherin and Peyton Watson were also out there.
Speaker 1: I'm still like anticipating then we're doing something with Watson because I just can't imagine them losing out on him, but at the same time, that's also becoming an unsustainable situation.
Speaker 2: Have you seen the There was some like Michael Porter Junior, Peyton Watson were hanging out a lot recently, and I think Peyton Watson even showed up at the NETS practice facility at one point, right, So I don't think the Nets have like they don't have the cap space to sign him to an offer sheet, but.
Speaker 3: And I mean it would and he signing trade would.
Speaker 2: Probably, I mean Julius Randall would be the obvious one. But I don't know why Denver wants Julius Randall.
Speaker 1: No, I mean when he was moved earlier to Prokelaps, Like, why do the Nets want him? Like right? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So, I mean Terrence Man would be an option. They just signed Dayron Sharp to that deal, so he can't be traded. Kean Ellis can't be traded. Oh and even Randall, I mean he's he can't be aggregated for another month and a half. Yeah, I mean they don't have a lot of I guess they could. They could do Terrence Man and ewar Demon and that gets you to twenty close to twenty three million.
Speaker 1: Hmm, Okay, yeah, is that fair value.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's a restricted free agent, true, all right, but yeah, I mean they would have to make that move or like they can't. They can't sign Peyton Watson to that offer sheet unless they trade those guys first, or they would have to approach Denver and say we're interested, this is our offer, take it to leave it, or I mean they could reroute those guys with their team if they wanted. But yeah, either way, like Denver, no team has cap space to sign I mean, Duran Watson, Mathering. They're all kind of screwed right now if they're hoping to get a big offer from another team unless it's a sign and trade at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So we're basically back to where we were, like I want to say, seventeen eighteen, where the restricted free agents are probably gonna get fixed like late July August. Man, Like we've talked about this before. This has to be one of the most like major things to the players Union is going to bring up next time around in CBA negotiations because these guys are just getting squeezed in restricted free agency.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was have a piece half written about that for Forbes. I want to let I guess I'll spoil it.
Speaker 1: Spoil it.
Speaker 2: I want to run this idea by you because I want to temperature check on if this would fix anything. So you can sign a restricted free agent during the moratorium, but the clock, the matching clock, doesn't start until after the moratorium lifts, and I would argue that is one of the main reasons why teams don't even bother because free agency just moves so quickly that you know, if you can't if your cap.
Speaker 3: Space is tied up until July seventh, July.
Speaker 2: Eighth, like you don't, you're at risk of losing out on basically everyone else.
Speaker 3: My idea, we could go one of two ways. One just get rid of the.
Speaker 2: Moratorium entirely, and then June thirty, if it's fair game you can sign guys regardless, or if you really need the moratorium for whatever reason, at least make it such that the matching clock can start during the moratorium. Technically that's non binding, as is everything or almost everything else during the moratorium, but you know, if June thirtieth rolls around, you get someone to commit to an offer sheet, then you know the team has twenty four or forty eight hours to match it. Whatever it ends up being. You know, then your cap space is only tied up until July second, so you know you're not quite as at risk of missing out on everyone else. Do you think that would at least give these guys a chance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that one. I think that's a good wrinkle because like some teams are aware they can't go chasing like the big UFA fish, so like some teams will absolutely find interest in the RFA guys. I think that's a really good direction to go in that that at least gives the RFA guys a little bit more power. Like I'm not sure it's going to be automatically utilized like it might. Seems might still, you know, be a little bit preventive about it, But I do think it gives them more of a of a chance to go out and say, well, screw that, we're not gonna we're not in the market for Lebron or Jaln Brown or whatever anyway, Like you know, if we're just toying around with the idea that they were UFAs, like, why not throw an offer sheet to Peyton Watson? Why not try to go for someone like that? Yeah, yeah, I look at the end of the day. I just want something back that makes free agency feel a little bit more like free agency again. Mm hmmm, because he doesn't.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, it's I mean, it's trade.
Speaker 2: Like teams have no reason to save cap space at this point because all of the big stars sign extensions or you know, it's very rare for stars to change hands.
Speaker 3: Hilariously, Now, you.
Speaker 2: Would argue the last two big ones that change hands were both with the Sixers.
Speaker 1: That's true, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 3: George and Lebron names.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, like this doesn't fix the underlying problem that you know, guys are signing extensions and forcing their way to wherever they want via trade rather than free agency, but it would at least give teams, you know, I like, had the Bulls or the Nets been able to sign Peyton Watson to an offer on June thirtieth, that they match and Clack would have started.
Speaker 3: Or even Jalen Duran.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, do they really blow all their money on Norman Powell and Nick Claxton and Zach Collins if they have a chance at getting Duran and Peyton Watson instead.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, if I were with the Bulls, I would have gone with Peyton Wattson over Norman Powell. I mean instead, for sure, you know, I think people crap on that deal a little bit too much. But like, yeah, I would have gone the youth route for sure, and if that is what prevents them from doing so, like because you have to wait, and removing that hurdle would absolutely get you know, these teams more active in the initial parts of free agency. And look, I'm just a fan of good young players actually getting good money instead of always having not always, but for the most part, having to take less. Wemb Nutting, he decided to take less because he's a cheat code.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is correct.
Speaker 1: So like Peyton Watson, just let's let's wrap on on that one just and let's set aside the financial restrictions for well, like we have to be realistic. Where does he make sense?
Speaker 3: I mean he's everywhere. He's a great player.
Speaker 1: It's just.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know anywhere that has yeah that no one.
Speaker 2: Has the cap space to sign him. I mean, Brooklyn could be interesting. I guess I just have no that Ruster is just so weird that you know, they're still just looking for anyone who might be a long term piece at this point, like Sacramento. If they could SWI I'd argue they're in the same boat, just we just need more talent.
Speaker 3: I don't know, can Charlotte.
Speaker 1: Oh God, that.
Speaker 3: No, not really at all.
Speaker 1: But I just conceptually if you added him to the Hornets, fuck, like that would be ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know they've got let's see, they.
Speaker 1: Kind of coster, but like if you've got him.
Speaker 2: Somehow, well, Grace and Allan, Dorian Finney, Smith, and Royce O'Neill all have trade restrictions, but they all expire in September, and as we've seen, these restricted free agent processes sometimes play out until you know, the qualifying off for deadline, which is in October.
Speaker 3: So technically.
Speaker 2: They could offer up some combination of those three guys in September and a sign and trade Grant Williams too, He's a fourteen point three million dollar expiring contract. Yeah, I mean, honestly, like.
Speaker 1: That's that's not the end of the world for Denver either. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, you get two of Grayson Allen, Grant Williams, Dorian Finney Smith, Royce O'Neill.
Speaker 1: Grayson Allen, Royce O'Neill, and Denver. I wouldn't hate those guys like those are like Dorrian Finney Smith, Grant Williams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, DFS, what's what what a weird contract?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And oh yeah yeah yeah that's it's like year that has to be year three of his zero guaranteed dollars. But if they pick it up, he's got a player option. Yeah, that player option as well is not guaranteed. Yeah, it's the weirdest contract.
Speaker 2: So he's technically I mean, he could be an expiring him and grand Williams could be. Grant Williams isn't inspiring, Dorian face Smith could be.
Speaker 1: And that's why we also have to wait to pass judgment occasionally because remember how much everyone hated the DFS contract last summer. Yeah, everyone hated it, and that was because it was reported as being fully guaranteed and then it turns out, oh no, it wasn't. Like this is actually fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah. Hopefully we're going to get a similar report about Gary frin Junior any day now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, well, Brian, your Philadelphia seventy six ers has gotten Lebron James so muscle tough sorer. Yeah yeah, now you're proud to be back on the wagon again. Huh uh.
Speaker 2: We're still on the Spurs and thunder wagon. But I appreciate Lebron James for the page hees this year. Thank you, sir, Thank you for your service.
Speaker 1: Could you let the good people know where they can find your work and what you're working on next?
Speaker 3: Oh boy, what well, I don't know what I'm working on next.
Speaker 2: Now Anthony Davis column about ninety percent written that I'm about to tear to shreds.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You can find me General NBA, Forbes Sports and fan sided sixer stuff at Liberty, Bollers Lakers stuff at Silver.
Speaker 3: Screen and Roll.
Speaker 2: You can find me on Blue Sky at B T O P O R e K. And that is assuming that all of this is actually real life, not a simulation not having died and being caught in a weird basketball purgatory, which is what it feels like right now.
Speaker 1: And there we go, and for everyone listening in, thank you for doing so. Until we speak again, have a good one and stay safe everyone,