Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of January sixth, we are discussing the tenth episode of the new season the current most recent season of Shrinking. It is called Changing Patterns.
Speaker 1: You should make sure to say the tenth episode, but not the last episode for the season. Last season they only had ten. And I saw a lot of people took to social media after this win aired and said, is that it is that where it ends?
Speaker 2: It was not a great idea.
Speaker 1: Well, we had twelve, we had twelve.
Speaker 2: Two more to go. Yes, definitely didn't tie anything up because you know, it's got two more left we had. It was Alice's birthday was the main focus of this episode, and Jimmy bought her a car. He bought her the same car that her mom once had, and right in the course of acquiring said car, medicute.
Speaker 1: Lady Yes, played by Kobe Smolders, who was his co star on How I Met Your Mother. There though he was his character was married, so they were never a romantic coupling on that show, but you know, adorable to see them together and to see her and you know, let's let's hope this is a bookmark for a future plot line, because yes, she is not only very cute and funny, but would fit in amazingly well with his group.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You can absolutely see her just sl slidding on in there the way that Derek too did, Right.
Speaker 2: You can you can tell by the by.
Speaker 1: The banter that they she'll be bantering with Liz and Gabby in no time. Yes, so I hope that would be nice because I like that actress, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And and it did seem at the very end of the episode that it was going there because she texted him and he was smiling and he was like getting ready to answer, and then Alice burst in on him and screamed at him for trying to keep her from talking to Lewis. And she made a good point of being like, you know, you knew this was helping me. You know, it's one thing to be like, hey, I don't love it. You know, it's hard for me that you're talking to him or whatever, right, But he just kind of blew up at Lewis and said, don't talk to her anymore.
Speaker 1: And what did he really say though? Didn't he say something like I never want to see you.
Speaker 2: But did he also say like stay away from an Alice. I don't remember. I don't remember.
Speaker 1: We have to rewind that. But Lewis certainly took it to me stay away from my family and for the purposes of the show. I mean, bred Goldstein is adorable and he's doing a wonderful job making Louis somebody who just want to give a hug too. But I was reading some chat about the show and somebody said, you know, you don't get to take the people. You know, he shouldn't get to take Jimmy's support system to be his own. He used to find his own people, right, and so that maybe Jimmy has a legitimate quarrel there, but of course not on the show, on this show, come on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also just the way Jimmy, you know, blew up at him.
Speaker 1: Not what you would want from a therapist, right, exactly. He would like to have him holding onto his bleep a little bit tighter than that is, you know, being able to have some especially since it has helped Alice and Alice and seemed to be right, you know, find their connection meaningful, right, But you can see why that would be difficult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: I think it was more the way handling enough birth another birthday was a little harsh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially after the cake and the car and you know everything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, boy, I mean, I know many Coopers are small, but they could barely fit those three alleged teenagers, those those three twenty somethings tending to.
Speaker 2: Be pretending to be although I mean, Alice looks eighteen to me, but she does, but the guy maybe not so much.
Speaker 1: No, I think that the two girls are in their early twenties, the two acts and I didn't look up full grown dude face right. As to whether he's really a full full grown dude, he just has just cut the face off one and tasted on his own. I don't know, but that they just like crammed in there right. Ah, they're cute Mini Coopers, but it would be fine for me, but just you know, normal sized humans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, looks so funny. At one point before my daughter started to drive, but when she was close to it, we were we were at our mechanics garage for some other reason, and they had a Fiat van but it was like teens. I mean, it was a Fiat like you know, because there are some Fiats that are like the size of a Mini Cooper, and this was basically if you just stretched it out a tiny bit more so that it was theoretically a man. And it was extremely cute. And my daughter's like, oh my gosh, look how cute that is. I would love that. And I was like, oh my god, that is a tin can. Like yes, in no way are you going to be driving that vehicle because the I mean it would have crumpled with just the lightest tap. I was like, no, we're not doing that. Yeah. Always reminded.
Speaker 1: Mini Cooper's always reminded me of degressing. But when I was in high school, I was in a little special singing group that our high school choir director made, and he decided was for the my centennials. They decaid he was going to reach out to other schools and audition kids from other schools, and it wound up being everybody from my school plus plus this one girl. And she drove a tiny little car, even tinier than a Mini Cooper. I think it just it was like some sort a foreign car. He was tiny, and the guys enjoyed picking it up and putting it over the fence. O. No, and these arequire guys, so we're not talking, you know. Yeah yeah, the football team, right yeah, oh yeah, So good luck, good luck to you there, Alice, drive safely, please, honey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speak, don't be going.
Speaker 1: To any parties and then driving home because then we're gonna start this whole thing over again.
Speaker 2: Right. But yeah, but that was, you know, the whole thing of like you try to do what your kid wants for their birthday or for any other special occasion, and then they're like, you know.
Speaker 1: They just something else comes in.
Speaker 2: Something else, ruin it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm always super nervous about things like that because yeah, it's so it's so fraud. But and then speaking of parent child interactions that are cringe, Oh my gosh, Gabby and her mom whoa gold metal face acting from Vernie Watson, Oh, maternal disapproval and you know, I am going to make you how dare you?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, Gabby finally possibly don't wait until she's completely packed up.
Speaker 2: I know her house is packed up, like and then Gabby's like, oh, actually, no you're not. I don't think it's a good idea, and like, I mean, is this how sold?
Speaker 1: Like what? Yeah? What?
Speaker 2: What was the status? But yeah, so so that didn't go well for Gabby at all, No, even though she was doing what Paul advised her to do rightly.
Speaker 1: So and we had a we had the joke who died followed by somebody actually died and the weirdest funeral. What is the deal with Julie's husband? Does he have no family? Because it looked like maybe the production didn't want to pay for extras.
Speaker 2: Nobody there.
Speaker 1: It was just like Jimmy's Circle and.
Speaker 2: And they even made a joke like, oh, this is my boss's girlfriend's husbands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right, it was just weird. And then later Brian is talking to her about money and she said, you know, to give it to Elliott's daughter and grandkids. Apparently not her daughter and grandkids. Right, So does she just go around getting involved with guys who had much time.
Speaker 2: At least that she meets in the course of her.
Speaker 1: Exactly if I were Paul, I would be a little taken aback. And I think it doesn't seem to be. I mean, even later she has a whole bunch of friends over at Paul's apartment, and that's a thing. Were they there at the funeral? I don't think I saw him.
Speaker 2: They were just outside of the camera. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So and she gets up to give a speech that's like, well, yeah, I remember so many things about him, thank you for coming. So what exactly was the status of their.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It just seemed weird. Yeah, Now, there were there were a great deal of birthday negotiations going on in this show. Do you make such negotiations with your kids? Because I don't, No, I am completely on party. It's like, what are you doing for my birthday? What are you arranging for for my birthday? Right, there's never a question of Hey, I'm going to go out with my friends, see you right, I'll eat a few bites of cake with you if you insist. Is that a thing that like non families with independent children.
Speaker 2: Do, I mean, I guess possibly, But I mean Alice, she's eighteen, she's still in high school, like yeah, But also most of the negotiations were with Gabby and Liz, who are next who are not her actual parents, even though they definitely serve in that capacity quite a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, would you probably have your birthday? I mean in our house, we would have had kids over to have a party. Yeah, So kids just go out with their friends at that age, And well.
Speaker 2: I don't see why you don't do both. I mean, right, that's and that's sort of what they had negotiated, but then that got up ended when she realized that there was a car waiting for her outside.
Speaker 1: But I mean, I think the purpose of having the party with your parents' friends is gifts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also Sean Mader of good cake, and she didn't even have any.
Speaker 1: She requests yellow that sure looked like chocolate.
Speaker 2: But yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Speaker 1: Chocolate frosting I.
Speaker 2: Guess I think is what she got.
Speaker 1: It was a good looking cake. Sean has a handy guy to have around. Yes, so I don't know. It seems like you would have two parties, right, one going out with friends and one going out with your father's friends who are your dear friends also and also are pretty well off and could give you some super nice.
Speaker 2: Some real nice presents. Yeah, and we didn't have Charlie. Wasn't there? Was he at the at the little party the party? No. I guess they didn't want to pay for him either, because I feel like he's basically part of them, Yes, part of the gang.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So we now find that that Mac is not only put her dog pictures on his walls, but also on the cans of beer.
Speaker 2: That's right, he brewed a new he like, made up a new a new beer.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't matter because everybody's happy.
Speaker 2: Right, Derek's happy. There's happy because Liz is reverted to her her normal self and not and stop trying to be overly solicitous and nice. He couldn't handle that. Nobody could, nobody could.
Speaker 1: She yells at him and he smiles.
Speaker 2: It's like all's right in the world.
Speaker 1: You don't question other people's relationships. That's fine, that's right. Paul stepped into the place of Gabby's dad to uh inquire as to Derek's intentions. Yes, although they seem to have trouble actually going on a date. Seems to be lots of things get in the way. Yeah, they go to a funeral. Yeah, he goes, he's at the birthday party.
Speaker 2: He shows up for those kind of events.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's a he's a flexible dude, hand handsome.
Speaker 2: That was again addressed in this one. They definitely aren't going to miss saying that.
Speaker 1: I think they did have a have a quick daddy issues moment where somebody asked Paul, who hurt you and he said, my bost my father.
Speaker 2: End of conversation. We all have moved on from there.
Speaker 1: Yep. Oh well, so I enjoyed as always Liz as grammar comm Yes you speak.
Speaker 2: For me, Liz, Yes, speak for me. Thank you. We appreciate it. Fight the good fight, Liz, keep it up. Next week we will discuss the eleventh episode of season two, The Drugs Don't Work, and we'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly roundabout round up.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash Shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years
Speaker 1: Indicated now in the ver