Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, and for this week of August eleventh, we're continuing with Lost season three, episode eleven, Enter seven seven, not enter seventy seven, Enter seven seven, an episode which asks the question, if you've been on a weird, mysterious island for a while, and you've gone through a traumatic time where hitting a button or not hitting a button on a computer caused an explosion to turn the sky purple, if you walked into another mysterious place and saw a computer with a chess game on. Would your first thought be surely like chess, I'll sit down at this computer and start hitting keys.
Speaker 2: Fuck what you do with man? Well, and then.
Speaker 1: Going it's just a chess game. It's chess games are safe. I'm like, have you not seen war games? I mean, this is weird, Old Island. Nothing is exactly what it's seems, right, I oh my gosh, not.
Speaker 2: That yes, And then when it asks you to start actually entering codes like that if you didn't get it already. And this was on top of when he was in charge of guarding a prisoner and he was just like, oh, he seems out pretty cold. I'm going to go back to this chess game I was playing because I think I can win.
Speaker 1: Haroting tip. Screens are very addictive. Do not let your kids get addicted to screens. They will make bad choices that will put themselves and others in danger. Yeah, get rid of the iPad. Nothing good can come of it.
Speaker 2: Even if you think they're asleep and fully contained. As we learned from Luna and Duster, they can surprise you and move around when you weren't expecting it.
Speaker 1: So that was the dramatic a plot where they find this little farm looking place. I'm sure Vincent has been by and you know, befrinted the cat and the horse right, and all sorts of dramatic unplay and threats and counter threats ensues. But also we learn that Sawyer has lost his mojo money. You don't go in saying I'm the super do for best ping pong player ever, I'm gonna cream you. Guys. You go into the game going, what's this? You take this paddle and the ball? I guess I could do it. You're a con man, you are a professional con artist? Yeah, what that you've got? Played by Hurley?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the juxtaposition walk.
Speaker 1: Into the sea, now, man, I think it's over.
Speaker 2: For the way that this comic relief plot was aligned with the actual torture in the other plot was really quite jarring. Like, hey, let's play ping pong and Sawyer's gonna have a little pony tail and he's going to, you know, get his come up.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I just couldn't even enjoy the come up. And because it was so obviously coming.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was very clear, and.
Speaker 1: And he just walked into it like, you know, like a guy walking into a wall. Come on, what's I mean? I guess it's been a stressful time. He's worried about Kate. That's yes, that's true, but he knows he knows how to to to hustle better than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he thought that was the best way to get his stuff back. He was sorry, mistaken.
Speaker 1: Yep. And how many more episodes Untilnicky and Pollall were gone? Those people keep getting on my nerves, acting like they belong there, like they've been there all along. Yeah, only a couple more episodes on that mine. But anyway, so in this uh, in this episode, said uh recalls an incident of mercy, and so, therefore I guess is merciful towards Mikhail mm hmmm, an action that I will not go into much detail, but I assume will not surprise you. We'll have a consequences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I am not surprised to hear that.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Russeo's like, dude, you take your chance when you've got it, shoot your shot.
Speaker 1: And yes, she could have just shot him. You know, I would have believed her. I was saying, Oh, for goodness sake, right, why are you trusting these people. What's the matter with you? It's the heat getting to you.
Speaker 2: Probably, Yeah, And were we supposed to think that that was like, somehow the same cat because it really looked the same.
Speaker 1: It did look the same, though, though it's difficult to see how it could be.
Speaker 2: Right, But this is lost, so it could be.
Speaker 1: And there's I mean, every individual cat is loved by its owner and distinct in its own special way. But there's a lot of cats look like It's not like it was a distinctive, particularly distinctive cat. I mean, if it had been missing an eye or yeah, had some hideous deformity, then if you could say that it was the same one.
Speaker 2: But I think so.
Speaker 1: I think it's just supposed to think it make him think generally of cats, right, and of that yeah, and of that woman that time when he was set up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, this is teach your children. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. A random stranger shows up and says, oh, this is tasty, I'll pay you double.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially if you know that you personally have a history of torturing people, you might just always kind of be on the alert for that.
Speaker 2: Right, this is true.
Speaker 1: I liked Rousseau's approach to them finding this guy and they're all going to go and engage, and she says, I have survived on this island precisely by avoiding these encounters.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, parenting tip, you don't have to pick every fight. You don't have to get involved in everything every you know, every misbehavior that your child does. You don't have to go into it with guns blazing. Every offense by somebody at a PTA meeting or a teacher does something you don't like, you don't have to. You don't have to pick every fight. You can lay low for a while and pick your battles at the very least.
Speaker 2: I feel like Kate maybe needs.
Speaker 1: Yes, Kate could use that advice as well. You know, Usso has managed to survive for a very long time. That doesn't look like she's been having a lot of fun. But what she is a good game of ping ping pong, Yeah, or maybe some chess. Just the game for you here.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I mean the whole Russo thing. It's confusing to me, Like, as we were talking about last week, you know, it seems like she was kind of surprised to learn that her daughter is nearby hanging out with the others when she in earlier episodes seemed pretty clear on that fact. Right, And but if she knows where they're, yeah, well, and just if she does, like know where they are, why hasn't she had this confrontation with them? Yes, fifteen years ago?
Speaker 1: That's the thing. If she knew that her daughter was there, why would she not have just gone and got her or confronted them? Right, So she must not have known. But how could she not, Well, because she avoids confrontation. She's just been off by herself.
Speaker 2: I guess I don't know.
Speaker 1: Don't ask too many questions, Yeah, delicate web and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and maybe it has to do with all this like quarantine business.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's yeah, it will all eventually be explained, possibly not to your satisfaction, nonetheless, right, And they they're they're looking around the hatch, and they find a shelf full of the kind of instruction manuals you would find in an office, with like a notebook.
Speaker 2: And three ring binder three ring.
Speaker 1: Binders with different titles on them, stuck down through a plastic thing in the front. And even even in this desolate outpost of civilization, there's still somebody with a word processor and a copy machine, whole punch or three whole puncher, and here study up on this.
Speaker 2: It'll be important. Some site is.
Speaker 1: The one who site is the one who took I guess the one page? Did he just take one page out of it? Because good man, that's right. But if Locke knew those were there, he would have like the rest of the season and half the next season.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Look, Oh gosh, that just gave me such flashbacks to former former employers. Yeah, I've been in that room that has the big note books of instructional material in them. Yes they've done that.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, what else? So we we saw for a brief time missus Mss Clues right, who we had last seen at the at the dock, having being involved in the hooded transfer of prisoners and all that.
Speaker 1: She just stuck called to be shot. Yeah, I can't cooperated.
Speaker 2: Which I didn't understand. You know, of course, maybe I'm not supposed to, but I didn't understand what.
Speaker 1: I guess maybe because she has information and she's afraid they'll be able to get it from her, or maybe she's just tired of all this bleak.
Speaker 2: Just shoot me right. Well, Michael said the.
Speaker 1: Same that's right. Michael would have liked the same treatment, but fortunately he asked the wrong people.
Speaker 2: Right, say, just having a morality day. Yeah, oh gosh.
Speaker 1: But you know what this is a parenting tip for the future that will be played out in the future, is that good deeds sometimes have bad consequences. Yes, so especially Yeah, sometimes you do something that you think is right and it enables a wrong to take place. Very upsetting when that that cycle makes it around. Yeah, you can't see it at the beginning. It's like a chess game. All the pieces are gonna fall.
Speaker 2: The metaphor.
Speaker 1: Don't don't hit the keys of random computers, why oh why is gonna bother me now? And anything else to say. This was sort of a straightforward episode. I mean, it just had the the basic a plot which feels like some not that far from things we've seen before, and the lashbacks which yeah, we kind of know this about, Sayid, and then the comic relief which you could see a mile comment how that was going to work itself out? So all right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Hurley saying I used to play a lot at the place I hung out, which the mental institution rights. What he did not.
Speaker 1: Say, I don't want to give Sawyer that nickname for when his curfew is up.
Speaker 2: That was also another funny bit that that's what they wanted, Yes for a victory was no nicknames for a week. You should have held out for more. He was really he would have agreed to forever because he had absolutely no idea that he wasn't gonna I.
Speaker 1: Know, that's just I Sawyer's better than that. I think he can see, like, he can spot that he's being played and he can play in return. But yeah, he's having a bad day. Paulo just called him in Healbilly and that just struck gests.
Speaker 2: Well. And Kate has pieced out to go find Jack. Yes, and at the beginning of the episode, sights and something like, we've been walking for two days or some like length of time.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, we do a lot of walking around this There's been a lot of walking around this place in the how many episodes that we had, now, how many there's been more than two seasons? Yeah, it's wen these seasons.
Speaker 2: Season three, it's been like that two and.
Speaker 1: A half seasons of walking around this island. And they just came upon this.
Speaker 2: Right, they keep finding stock.
Speaker 1: How big is this island?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a very good question. But I also have one.
Speaker 1: Of the first things to do after you realize you're going to be there for the foreseeable future, if not forever, is to do a thorough reconnaissance.
Speaker 2: Yes, they start looking around.
Speaker 1: That does not seem to have occurred. I mean, I guess people they're afraid of running into others, but it doesn't stop them when they have some mission that they want to go on that they just go dashing through the right jungle, right. You know, they could pot they had some sort of tracker which they don't have. They could put it on Vincent and just send nowt I bet he could map. I bet he's been to every part of that island. I bet he's met that cat yep and had words or you know, possibly snuggled. Sometimes animals enjoy each other. But yeah, they not know how can they come upon I mean I can see like an underground bunker that they could miss, but that place there's a cow with a cowbell.
Speaker 2: They're not lying low No. And also this they're now supposedly on their way to some kind of barracks. Like again, that seems like a large, you know, conspicuous ye area, does it not.
Speaker 1: It does, yes, but most of these folks are with us to the end of the show, so somehow they manage, right, But I don't know. Parenting tip. Know the parameters of your living area. Know what areas are safe for your children to be in, what areas are not. Don't just sort of stay in your little yard and not know anything right.
Speaker 2: Don't be just kind of winging.
Speaker 1: It exactly, you know, because your kid is probably gonna get out and look for things, and you need to know.
Speaker 2: You need to know the terrain right.
Speaker 1: You need to be able to say, I bet he's playing chess over at that weird bunker with cat with the cow bell. I better get over there before he hits seven to seven.
Speaker 2: And the whole thing explodes. Oh boy, once again John Locke four decisions.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, yes, that is absolutely the hallmark of his or the theme of his story. A dude who makes bad decisions, and we'll continue to do so because it's who he is.
Speaker 2: Who don't say.
Speaker 1: Next Tuesday, we will continue with season three, episode twelve of Lost par La Villon, which is I believe a Claire flashback episode. Remember Claire, Oh yeah, she's not gonna die. It's Charlie who's gonna die. But since she's, you know, in a close proximity to Charlie most of the time, got to learn to duck. And we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss the Gilded Age, in which Gladys would probably very much like to be on this island right now and not have to deal with any part of her life. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash shop slash mamitude but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.