Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive everyone. Today we're going deep into the world of cryptography and network security.
Speaker 2: Ooh sounds exciting.
Speaker 1: It is really Yeah. We've got excerpts from Cryptography and Network Security Principles in Practice, the seventh edition, you know William Stallings Classic, Yeah, codes, ciphers. How we protect our information in this digital age? I mean it's everywhere, right, It's amazing how it's evolved.
Speaker 2: Really, we're way beyond simple secret writing. Now we have these complex algorithms, not just for confidentiality, but for integrity, you know, making sure data hasn't been tampered with. Yeah, authenticity, non repudiation.
Speaker 1: Whoa big words, haha, right.
Speaker 2: But basically making sure you can't deny sending something and of course controlling access who gets to see what.
Speaker 1: So it's like building trust, but digitally exactly.
Speaker 2: And there are different ways to do that. Two main types of cryptography come to mind. Symmetric key and asymmetric key.
Speaker 1: Okay, so like symmetric key, that's where both sides have the same key, like a shared secret.
Speaker 2: You got it, super efficient, especially for lots of data.
Speaker 1: Cool. What are some examples of that, like algorithms and stuff?
Speaker 2: Well, there's the Advanced Encryption Standard AES. That's the big one.
Speaker 1: Now, oh yeah, AES, I've heard of that.
Speaker 2: And then there's DES, the Data Encryption Standard. It was widely used but kind of outdated now right right?
Speaker 1: Are these algorithms based on like any particular design.
Speaker 2: Many of them DEES included. They use this thing called the feistal cipher.
Speaker 1: Feistal cypher.
Speaker 2: It's a fundamental structure, especially for block ciphers. So imagine you take a block of text, right, split it in half. Then you do all these rounds of substitutions, permutations.
Speaker 1: We kind of like shuffling a deck of cards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, over and over, Yeah, exactly, controlled chaos, but with the key to make sense of it all makes sense. There's also this special function within it, the round function, and that's where things get really hard to crack if you don't have the key.
Speaker 1: Oh icee. So this fiscal thing, why is it so important?
Speaker 2: Well? The beauty is, even with that complex round function, encrypting and decrypting are basically mirror images of each other, reversible, you know.
Speaker 1: Ah, so you can get the original message back, gotcha, gotcha? Okay, then what about asymmetric key cryptography how's that different?
Speaker 2: This is where things get really interesting. Two keys, a public key anyone can have it, and a private key you keep that secret.
Speaker 1: Like two keys to a mailbox, one to put mail I in, one to take it out.
Speaker 2: Perfect analogy. Public key encrypts only the private key decrypts.
Speaker 1: And no need to like secretly share a key beforehand.
Speaker 2: Exactly, game changer for online communication.
Speaker 1: Big time any like. Famous examples of asymmetric key algorithms.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely, RSA revest shmir Adleman the creators used for digital signatures key exchange. You see that little lock icon in your browser, that's off an RSA working in the background, making sure you're on the real website not some fake one.
Speaker 1: Wow. So RSA is keeping us safe online? And what about digital signatures? How do they work?
Speaker 2: Think of it like a fingerprint for a message. Use a hash bunks hash function creates a unique code for the message. Then you encrypt that hash with your private key. Bam, digital signature.
Speaker 1: So it's tamper proof. Proves it's really from U, A and D hasn't been messed with.
Speaker 2: You got it. The recipient uses your public key to decrypt, check off the hash matches.
Speaker 1: Clever so all these different types of cryptography, they're like connected somehow they are.
Speaker 2: And to manage it, all the keys, the certificates. That's where public key infrastructure comes in PKI.
Speaker 1: PKI Okay, sounds important but kind of complicated. Break it down for me.
Speaker 2: You're online, right, how do you know a website is legit?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's PKI. It uses digital certificates like digital passports to verify identities, individuals, organizations, So.
Speaker 1: Like a trusted third party checks everyone's ID exactly.
Speaker 2: And there's a whole chain of trust too. Your browser trust is a root authority, That authority trusts others and so on down to the website you're on.
Speaker 1: Oh, a whole system, so no one can just pretend to be someone else.
Speaker 2: That's the idea. And with all these devices users online, we need ways to make sure only the right ones get access to networks. That's where network access control comes in.
Speaker 1: Ns NEC. Is that like a security guard for your network.
Speaker 2: Precisely controls access based on rules, pre defined policies, so only authorized devices and users can connect.
Speaker 1: Oh, like checking if your anti virus is up today exactly.
Speaker 2: And a key part of that is the extensible authentication protocol or EAP.
Speaker 1: EAP, so it's like a checkpoint making sure only the good guys get in yep.
Speaker 2: And it's flexible, can handle simple passwords or stronger stuff like digital certificates, depends on what the organization needs.
Speaker 1: Cool. So EAP is adaptable. Man, it's amazing how all these pieces fit together.
Speaker 2: It is, and we've just scratched the surface.
Speaker 1: Seriously, there's more.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, next time we'll see how all this applies to the cloud. Cloud security, that's a whole other beast. Back again for more cryptography fun. Remember those public key cryptosystems we talked.
Speaker 1: About, yeah, RSA and stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, Well there's another one, Diffy Hellman specifically for key.
Speaker 1: Exchange Iffy Hellman HM vaguely familiar.
Speaker 2: The idea is two parties can establish a shared secret key over an insecure channel.
Speaker 1: Wait, so they don't actually send the key.
Speaker 2: Nope, that's the trick. It uses math, the difficulty of calculating discrete logarithms.
Speaker 1: Discrete what now?
Speaker 2: Aha, it's a bit complex, But imagine Alice and Bob want to share a secret.
Speaker 1: Right, okay, classic AlSi and Bob.
Speaker 2: They start with a prime number and a primitive route these are.
Speaker 1: Public, so some shared info to begin with.
Speaker 2: Then what each chooses a secret number they're private key. They use that plus the public stuff to generate public keys, which they then exchange.
Speaker 1: They swap public keys. Yeah, but how does that create the shared.
Speaker 2: Secret Here's the magic. Each person takes the other's public key and does another calculation using their own w and private key, and somehow they both end up with the same shared secret key.
Speaker 1: No way, without ever sending it directly exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like a secret handshake, only they know. Breaking this would mean figuring out that discrete logarithm really hard problem, especially for big prime.
Speaker 1: Numbers, so computers can't crack it easily, not.
Speaker 2: In any reasonable time. No, that's why it's secure.
Speaker 1: Math is cool. Are there other cryptosystems that use this kind of like difficult math?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah. Elgamol, similar to Diffie Hellman, also relies on discrete logarithms, but it can do encryption ad digital signatures, so.
Speaker 1: You could send a secret message A and D prove it's from you all in one go precisely.
Speaker 2: But god admit, both Diffy Hellman and Elgamol computationally expensive, more so than symmetric key stuff. Because of all the math yep so trade off there, speeds critical might not be the best choice.
Speaker 1: Right right. We talked about how RSA keys are getting longer to stay ahead of faster computers. Has that led to any new develop means, like completely new types of cryptography?
Speaker 2: It has. There's this fascinating thing called elliptic curve cryptography ECC ECC.
Speaker 1: I've heard the name, but how was even a bit intimidating.
Speaker 2: It's like the sports carve cryptography, same level of security as RSA, but with much shorter keys.
Speaker 1: Wait, shorter keys, but still secure. How's that possible?
Speaker 2: It uses completely different math, the arithmetic of elliptic curves. Elliptic curves, they're defined by specific equations, and the points on these curves they form a group, and the operations within that group are incredibly hard to reverse engineer.
Speaker 1: Sounds like some high level math it is.
Speaker 2: But the point is that difficulty allows for shorter keys without sacrificing security. Huge advantage for things like smartphones, embedded systems where resources are limited.
Speaker 1: Ah so for devices that aren't super powerful.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and it's being used already for digital signatures, key exchange, even some cryptocurrencies use it.
Speaker 1: So ECC is like the future of cryptography.
Speaker 2: It's definitely a rise star. Yeah. As we get more connected devices, that efficiency is going to be key no pun intended.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, nice one. Okay, so we've got all these keys ciphers, but what about the random numbers used in cryptography. You mentioned those before.
Speaker 2: Ah, pseudorandom number generation super important. These numbers. They look random, but they're generated by algorithms.
Speaker 1: Right. Randomness is crucial for security, makes it hard to predict what's going to happen. But how do we know these pseudorandom numbers are actually good enough?
Speaker 2: Good question. They can't be predictable. There are different approaches. One is using asymmetric ciphers like RSA as the basis.
Speaker 1: Wait, so the same stuff that does encryption can also make random numbers.
Speaker 2: Yep, take a seed value, encrypt it with RSA using a secret key. That output becomes your pseudorandom number. Do it repeatedly you get a whole stream.
Speaker 1: Of it, like a chain reaction of randomness. Clever. Are there other ways though, Ones that don't use asymmetric ciphers.
Speaker 2: Absolutely block ciphers can do it too, in a special way called countermode counter mode. Okay, with that, you have your secret key and a counter value. Encrypt those with the block cipher. The output is your random bits. Increment the counter repeat you get more random numbers.
Speaker 1: To the counter's like changing the combination on a lot, different combination, different.
Speaker 2: Numbers exactly, and it's efficient. Can be done in parallel, lots of random numbers at once.
Speaker 1: Man, this stuff is so intricate. I never realized how much goes into making things secure.
Speaker 2: It's a lot. Yeah, but all these pieces they work together to protect our data, our communications, the whole digital world. Really. Back for the final stretch of our cryptography deep dive, We've talked about ciphers, keys, hash functions, PKI, even those cool elliptic curves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a wild ride, but I feel like I'm actually starting to get it, you know, like how this stuff keeps us safe online.
Speaker 2: That's great to hear. It's all about understanding the pieces and how they fit together. Speaking of which, let's talk more about digital signatures.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, those always seem kind of mysterious to me, like they're the digital version of signing your name. Right, Yeah, but how can that be secure? Can't someone just like copy and paste a digital signature.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, that's the key question. They do act like a real signature, proving it's you and the message hasn't changed. But it's not as simple as copy paste no way. Public key cryptography is the magic here.
Speaker 1: Okay, So how do those keys public and private make the signature's work.
Speaker 2: Let's say Alice wants to sign a message for Bob. First, she uses a hash function something like saha two five six Saha.
Speaker 1: Two five six. That's one of those hash things we talked about, right, makes a unique code for the message exactly.
Speaker 2: Think of it like a fingerprint, only for data represents that specific message. Then Alice encrypts that hash, but with her private key that becomes her digital signature.
Speaker 1: So it's tied to her because of her private key and to the exact message.
Speaker 2: You got it. Now, Bob gets the message and signature. He uses Alice's public key to decrypt the signature, gets that original hashback like.
Speaker 1: He's unlocking it with his key, and then he can see the fingerprint exactly.
Speaker 2: Now, Bob calculates the hash of the message himself using the same function Alis did. If they match, Bingo, he knows it's really from Alice and nothing's been changed.
Speaker 1: So it's like a puzzle, only Alice has the right piece and Bob can test if it fits. Are there like different ways to do these signatures?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, definitely. RSA is one way, but there's also algamol, schnor.
Speaker 1: Each has its own quirk, so not one size fits all.
Speaker 2: Depends on the situation what you need it for. One of the most common ones, though, is the Digital Signature Algorithm DSA. Yeah, rings a bell. What's special about that one?
Speaker 1: It's specifically designed for signatures, uses the discrete log or the problem kind of like algamol, and it's a NIST standard, you know, National Institute of Standards and Technology.
Speaker 2: So it's got like official backing exactly, widely used for secure email signing, documents, all sorts of things.
Speaker 1: So it's been tested and proven. That's reassuring. What about ECC though, the elliptic curve stuff, Can that be used for signature too?
Speaker 2: It can, and it's got that efficiency advantage. Remember, same security with shorter keys, right.
Speaker 1: Right, let's data to deal with. Yeah, but how does ECC with all its weird curves and math actually doo signatures?
Speaker 2: Same public key principles, just way more efficient. There's a standard for that too, the Elliptic curve Digital Signature Algorithm ECDSA.
Speaker 1: ECDSA got it, another acronym for the collection. Seems like ECC's popping up everywhere it is.
Speaker 2: As technology changes, cryptography has to keep up. That's what makes it so interesting. Always evolving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of evolving, earlier, we talked about vulnerabilities like that heart bleed bug. Are there other examples of things going wrong that taught us important lessons?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, definitely. One that comes to mind is the poutaway attack targeted SSL, the Secure Sockets Layer protocol.
Speaker 1: Poutal ly hm vaguely remember that was the issue there.
Speaker 2: It exploited a weakness in SSL three point zero and older version the way it handled padding and encrypted messages. There was a flaw. Attackers could potentially use that to like decrypt parts of the traffic.
Speaker 1: So it's like one small crack and the whole thing falls apart.
Speaker 2: Kind of like that showed us we've got to keep things updated, Ditch those old protocols, move to newer, safer stuff like TLS one point two. Always got to be one step ahead of that's cybersecurity in a nutshell cat and mask game. The good guys and the bad guys. Stay informed, use best practices, update your defenses. That's how we stay safe.
Speaker 1: Well, I got to say this deep dive has been eye opening. Never thought I'd be so into cryptography, but you've made it fascinating.
Speaker 2: Glad to hear it. Hopefully it sparks some curiosity, you know, to keep learning about this stuff. The more we understand, the better we can protect ourselves in this digital world.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, thanks so much for being our guide on this journey my pleasure. It's been fun, and to all our listeners out there, thanks for joining the Deep Dive. We'll catch you next time with another adventure into the world of knowledge.