Speaker 1: Welcome to your deep dive. We're cracking open web hacking one oh one today, a book you specifically requested.
Speaker 2: Oh this is a good one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's all about ethical hacking. And I think what makes this duck dive particularly interesting is all these stories about vulnerabilities founding companies you use every day, Google, Shopify, even Twitter.
Speaker 3: What's fascinating is the author Pete Yorski. Yeah, he's a hacker himself, so he doesn't just list vulnerabilities. He shows you how they were discovered, right, and he's got the team from hacker one chime me in with their insights. Yeah, which is really cool because hacker one's a leading bug bounty platform.
Speaker 1: That's right, So we're getting like the inside scoop from the pros here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, before we jump into the juicy stuff, can you just set the stage for us, like, how does the Internet even work at a basic level? I think that will help us understand these vulnerabilities better.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: So, at its core, the Internet is all about communication between systems. Okay, think of it as like sending letters back and forth, but digitally, each message has a specific purpose like retrieving information or sending data, and follows a set of rules called protocols, kind of like the postal system.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: One of the most important protocols is HTTP, the language your web browser uses to talk to websites.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have our messages and they're following these rules these protocols, right, But how does a hacker exploit that?
Speaker 3: Well, one way is through something called HTML injection. Okay, it's like sneaking an extra line into a movie script. Huh, potentially changing the whole scene. Attackers inject HTML code into a web page, which can alter its appearance or even trick users.
Speaker 1: That sounds sneaky. Does the book have any like real world examples of this?
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 3: One example involves Coinbase, the cryptocurrency platform.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: A hacker found a way to bypass their security filters using something called URL encoding. Okay, it's like using a secret code to slip a message past security.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: They were able to inject a fake login form that could have stolen user credentials.
Speaker 1: Wait, so RL encoding is kind of like disguising something dangerous as harmless text. How does that even work?
Speaker 3: Imagine you have a message with characters that aren't allowed by the system you're using.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: URL encoding converts those characters into a format that is allowed. Okay, think of it as like translating a message into a different language that the system understands.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 3: And at its root, it's based on ASCI, which is a way to represent characters as numbers.
Speaker 1: So the website thinks it's processing regular text, but it's actually executing malicious code. That's scary. Exactly what other tricks do you hackers have up their sleeves? What about HTTP parameter pollution? Ah?
Speaker 3: Yes, this one's all about messing with the instruction sent in those digital letters we talked about. Okay, you slip extra hidden instructions into a request to change how a website behaves. It's like secretly adding an ingredient to a recipe to completely change the outcome.
Speaker 1: This is where it gets really interesting. Are there any examples of this in the book.
Speaker 3: Oh, there are a few good ones involving Twitter. One hacker managed to unsubscribe users from email notifications just by adding an extra parameter to the request. It's amazing how such a small tweak can have such a significant impact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like pushing the wrong button and causing a system wide meltdown.
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: What else did the book say about Twitter?
Speaker 3: There's another vulnerability mentioned involving web intens. These are pre built functions for things like following someone or liking a tweet. Okay, the hacker found a way to manipulate them using this same parameter pollution technique. Imagine clicking a link thinking you're going to follow a celebrity, but it actually makes you follow some random bought account.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's seriously sneaky. It's like those trick birthday candles that relight after you blow them out. You think you've got it under control, but nope, exactly. So if a hacker can manipulate something as simple as a follow button, what else are they capable of?
Speaker 3: Well, let's talk about CRLF injection. Okay, so it's a bit more technical, but equally impactful. Cr LEFT stands for carriage return line feed, which is basically the code that tells a computer to start a new line.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're talking about exploiting line breaks. Ye, how is that even possible?
Speaker 3: By injecting CRLs characters at specific points, attackers can manipulate how a website processes requests and responses. This could lead to something called cash poisoning.
Speaker 1: Cash poisoning that sounds like a recipe for disaster it can be what exactly does that mean?
Speaker 3: Websites often store frequently accessed content in a cash to speed things up. A hacker could inject malicious code into that cache, than anyone who visits the site and loads that cased content could end up running that malicious code.
Speaker 1: So it's like contaminating a water supply. Everyone who drinks from it gets sick. What other havoc can hackers reek with CRLF injection?
Speaker 3: They could potentially hijack user sessions. Imagine a hacker stealing your logging cookies, giving them axis to your account without even knowing your password. The book highlights a particularly dramatic example involving Twitter. A hacker exploited a bug in the Firefox browser to inject CRF character, potentially allowing them to steal session information.
Speaker 1: So even a bug and a browser can become a weapon in the hands of a skilled hacker. That's a stark reminder that security is a complex web and every thread is important. Speaking of webs let's talk about cross site request forgery or CSRF.
Speaker 3: CSRF is all about tricking a user's browser into performing actions on a website where they're already logged in. Okay, think of it this way. You're logged into your online banking and then you click a link in a seemingly harmless email. That link could be designed to trigger a transaction transferring money out of your account without you ever realizing it.
Speaker 1: That's terrifying. So you're tricked into doing something you never intended, like a digital puppet master pulling your strings.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and it can be incredibly subtle. The book gives an example where a hacker was able to export user data from Shopify by exploiting a CSRF vulnerability. They created a malicious link that, when clicked by a logged in Shopify user, triggered the export function without proper authorization.
Speaker 1: Wow. W Seemingly harmless actions like clicking a link can be dangerous if you're not careful. It's a good reminder to be wary of anything that seems suspicious, even if it comes from a trusted source.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's all about being aware of the potential risks and taking steps to protect yourself.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's shift gears a bit and talk about a different kind of vulnerability. Application logic vulnerabilities. What makes these different from the injection attacks we've been discussing.
Speaker 3: Instead of injecting malicious code directly, these vulnerabilities exploit flaws in how the application's code works. It's like finding a loophole in a contract to get what you want.
Speaker 1: So it's not about breaking the rules, but bending them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, clever.
Speaker 1: Does the book have any examples of this?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: A hacker named Igor Homo coof exploited GitHub by taking advantage of a flaw and how their code handled data updates. He was able to manipulate sensitive information, which had some unexpected consequences. It shows that sometimes the most dangerous vulnerabilities aren't about boot force attacks, but rather understanding the systems logic and finding those subtle weaknesses.
Speaker 1: It's like that saying, give me a lever long enough and a full chrume on which to place it, and I shall move the world right. Hackers seem to be masters at finding those levers and fulcrums.
Speaker 3: That's a great analogy. It requires a deep understanding of how applications work and an eye for spotting inconsistencies.
Speaker 1: Now, speaking of inconsistencies, let's talk about cross site scripting. Or EXSS. That sounds like another one of those sneaky attacks.
Speaker 3: XSS is all about injecting malicious JavaScript code into a website, which is then executed by other users. It's like planting a trap that unsuspecting visitors will trigger. A simple example would be injecting code that creates a pop up alert, but obviously it can get much more.
Speaker 2: Serious than that.
Speaker 1: Oh I bet so what kind of damage could a hacker do with XSS?
Speaker 3: They could potentially steal user cookies, redirect them to malicious websites, or even take control of their entire browser session. The book shares a few examples of XSS vulnerabilities found on Shopify. One involved basic input field on their wholesale site that wasn't properly secure.
Speaker 1: So even something as simple as an input field can be vulnerable if developers aren't careful. What other EXSS examples stood out to you from the book?
Speaker 3: There's another one involving Shopify. This time the vulnerability wasn't in an obvious place like an input field, but rather in the name property of a file input. Hackers are always looking for those unconventional attack vectors, those unexpected places where vulnerabilities might be hiding.
Speaker 1: So you really have to think like a hacker to find these hidden vulnerabilities. It's like playing a game of hide and seek, but with potentially disastrous consequences.
Speaker 3: That's why it's so important for developers to have a strong security mindset and to be constantly on the lookout for potential weaknesses. It's a continuous process of learning and improvement.
Speaker 1: Speaking of continuous processes, let's move on to another big one, SQL injection or SQL what's the gist of this attack?
Speaker 3: Sequal injection targets a website's database, which is like the brain of many web applications. Hackers inject malicious sequel code into a website, aiming to access sensitive data or even take control of the entire database server.
Speaker 1: So instead of just changing what the user sees, they're going straight for the source, right bold move. How do they pull this off?
Speaker 3: It often involves exploiting vulnerabilities in web forms like a search field where users can input data. If the form isn't properly protected, a hacker can inject SQL code into their input. The book has a particularly gripping example of a major druple sequel vulnerability.
Speaker 1: Druple that's a popular content management system.
Speaker 2: Right it is?
Speaker 1: Tell me more about this vulnerability.
Speaker 3: In twenty fourteen, Drupele was hit with a critical vulnerability that stemmed from a single coding error in its core software. It was a simple mistake, but it allowed attackers to potentially gain complete control of millions of websites.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: They could steal user data, dephase websites, or even use the compromise sites to launch further attacks.
Speaker 1: Wow. That's a stark reminder of how a seemingly small coding mistake can have catastrophic consequences. It's like the butterfly effect in action, but with digital chaos instead of weather patterns.
Speaker 3: It also highlights the importance of staying up to date with security patches and following best practices for secure coding.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's keep this hacking train rolling. What about open redirects. The name sounds a little less sinister than some of the others we've talked about.
Speaker 2: Don't be fooled.
Speaker 3: Open redirects are all about exploiting trust.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Imagine clicking a link on a website you trust, thinking you're going to a legitimate page, but instead you're redirected to a malicious website designed to steal your information.
Speaker 1: So you're basically being tricked into walking into a trap like those cartoons where the character follows a trail of candy right into a cage right. Are there any real world examples of open redirects in the book.
Speaker 3: Yes, a few involving Shopify.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: In one case, a hacker manipulated a theme installation page to redirect users to an external domain. Another example involved exploiting a redirect function to bypass Shopify security measures and access sensitive information. It just goes to show that you can't always trust what you see online, even on sites you think you're secure.
Speaker 1: That's a good reminder to be cautious and to always check the URL before clicking on a link, especially if it seems suspicious.
Speaker 3: Speaking of things that seem suspicious, let's talk about subdomain takeover. It's a bit like squatting on an abandoned property in the digital world.
Speaker 1: Intriguing Tell me more about this.
Speaker 3: Digital squatting attackers target subdomains that are pointing to unused third party services. They then register those subdomains with the third party service, effectively hijacking any traffic meant for the original sub domain.
Speaker 1: So You're basically claiming a forgotten corner of the Internet and using it for your own nefarious purposes. That's pretty clever, I have to admit.
Speaker 3: The book shares a couple of interesting examples, including one involving Ubiquidwitch, a networking technology company. Okay, a hacker took over one of their subdomains because it was pointing to an unused Amazon S three bucket.
Speaker 1: It's like finding a forgotten storage unit full of valuable stuff. So even seemingly in significant subdomains can be valuable targets for hackers. What other examples did the book have?
Speaker 3: There was another one involving scan dot me, a company acquired by Snapchat.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: The hacker claimed a subdomain that was pointing to an unused Zendesk account, potentially gaining access to sensitive support tickets.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how these seemingly simple oversights can lead to such serious security breaches. It's like leaving the keys to your house under the welcome map.
Speaker 3: The book also includes a fascinating high level example of a subdomain takeover exploit on Facebook. Oh Facebook, Yeah. The hacker Philly pair Wood, was able to hijack access tokens by targeting a misconfigured app. This exploit leveraged opethe, a protocol that allows users to grant third party apps access to their accounts without sharing their passwords.
Speaker 1: So by taking over the subdomain, the hacker could potentially intercept those access tokens and gain access to user accounts. That's wild. I'm starting to realize that security is like a game of chess where every move matters.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to think about it.
Speaker 3: It's a constant battle of wits between attackers and defenders, with each side trying to outmaneuver the other.
Speaker 1: All right, let's dive into another vulnerability XML external entity or XXC. That sounds like something out of a sci fi movie.
Speaker 3: It might sound complex, but the concept is pretty straightforward. XX vulnerabilities exploit how a website process is XML files. XML is a way to structure data, and it allows for the inclusion of external entities. Okay, hackers can craft malicious XML files that reference these external entities, potentially accessing sensitive data or even executing code on the server.
Speaker 1: So it's like sneaking a secret message within a seemingly harmless document. Very sneaky.
Speaker 3: The book uses a great analogy to illustrate this. A job board that allows users to upload their resumes in XML format. Okay, a hacker could create a resume that includes an external entity referencing the server's password file. Oh, if the job board system isn't properly protected, it could expose that sensitive data.
Speaker 1: That's a clever way to exploit a seemingly innocuous feature. It's like hiding a trojan horse inside a gift basket. What other examples of XX exploits does the book mention?
Speaker 2: Well, it's recky. Example involves the Google toolbar.
Speaker 1: Google Toolbar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hackers were able to read sensitive server files by exploiting a vulnerability in the toolbar's button gallery, which allowed developers to upload XML files containing button metadata.
Speaker 1: Wow, even Google is an immune to these attacks. It seems like no matter how big or sophisticated a company is, there's always the potential for vulnerabilities. It makes you wonder what's the most dangerous vulnerability out there?
Speaker 3: Well, one that often comes with severe consequences is remote code execution. Okay, as the name suggests, it allows attackers to inject code that's then executed by the target server.
Speaker 1: So it's like planting a bomb that detonates right at the heart of the system. That sounds terrifying it can be.
Speaker 3: The book provides a chilling example involving a vulnerability in image Magic, a widely used image processing library.
Speaker 1: Image Magic I've heard of that it's used all over the Internet, right, it's.
Speaker 3: Exactly Countless websites and applications use it to handle image uploads, resizing, and other image related tasks. The vulnerability allowed attackers to inject malicious code into image files, which would then be executed when the server process those images. This vulnerability was widely exploited, and it shows how a flaw and a commonly used software component can have a ripple effect across the entire Internet.
Speaker 1: It's a stark reminder that security is only as strong as its weakest link. What's the specific example mentioned in the book.
Speaker 3: The book tells the story of a hacker named Ben Sedecor who exploited this image Magic vulnerability to gain remote code execution on Polyvor, a fashion website.
Speaker 1: Oh Polyvor.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He crafted a malicious image file that, when processed by the server, sent a confirmation message back to his own server. It's a fascinating glimpse into how these exploits work in the real world.
Speaker 1: So even something as seemingly harmless as uploading an image can be a security risk if the underlying software is vulnerable. It's a reminder to always be vigilant, both as developers and as users.
Speaker 3: Absolute security is everyone's responsibility.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about another type of vulnerability, template injection. What can you tell me about this one.
Speaker 3: Templet injection exploits vulnerabilities in template engines, which are software components that dynamically generate web pages. Okay, imagine you have a website that displays user profiles, and each profile is generated using a template. An attacker might inject malicious code into that template, which would then be executed on the server, potentially giving them access to sensitive data or even control of the server itself.
Speaker 1: So it's like hijacking the blueprint for a building and making subtle changes that could compromise the entire structure. That's a clever analogy.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: There are two main types of template injection, server side SSTI and client side CSTI. As the name implies, happens on the server, while CSTI occurs on the client side in the user's browser. SSTI is generally considered more serious as it can potentially compromise the server, while CSTI is more limited in scope.
Speaker 1: So it's like the difference between poisoning the water supply at the source versus contaminating a single glass. What are some examples of SSTI vulnerabilities?
Speaker 3: The book mentions exploiting a vulnerability in flask, a popular Python web framework, and its default template engine gingitoo. By injecting malicious code into gingitoo templates, hackers were able to gain remote code execution on vulnerable servers.
Speaker 1: So this isn't just limited to Php and other web languages.
Speaker 2: Not at all.
Speaker 3: Template injection vulnerabilities can exist in any web framework that uses a template engine, regardless of the programming language. Interesting, it's all about finding those weak points where an attacker can inject their code.
Speaker 1: Speaking of weak points, what about CSDI? Does the book have any examples of that?
Speaker 2: Yes, it does.
Speaker 3: One example involves Uber's developer documentation website. The hacker James Kettle exploded a vulnerability and Angular js, a popular JavaScript framework, to inject malicious code that escaped the Angular sandbox and executed arbitrary JavaScript. This allowed him to hijack developer case and associated apps.
Speaker 1: So even client side frameworks like Angular JS can be vulnerable to template injection. It's like realizing that even the seemingly harmless decorations on a gingerbread house can be used to break in.
Speaker 3: It emphasizes that security needs to be considered at every layer of a web application, from the server to the client.
Speaker 1: All right, we've covered a lot of ground. Let's wrap things up with one final vulnerability, server side request forgery or SSRF. What's the lowdown on this one.
Speaker 3: SSRF vulnerabilities trick a server into making requests to other systems on the attacker's behalf. It's like using someone else's phone to make a call without them knowing.
Speaker 1: So you're leveraging the service trust and authority to make requests you wouldn't be able to make directly. That sounds pretty sneaky. Does the book have any real world examples of this?
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 3: One example involves essay and esports platform. The vulnerability allowed attackers to use essay servers to make requests to internal systems, potentially exposing sense of information or even gaining control of those systems.
Speaker 1: Internal systems, so we're not just talking about accessing data on the web, you could potentially infiltrate a company's entire network.
Speaker 3: That's the danger of SSRF. The book highlights how a hacker named Brett Buerhause use Google dorking and technique for finding vulnerable websites to find potential SSRF targets. He then exploited the vulnerability on Esia to query AWS metadata, exposing sensitive information about their cloud infrastructure.
Speaker 1: It's like finding a secret back door that gives you access to the entire building. So even seemingly harmless features like the ability to preview media from a URL can harbor dangerous vulnerabilities.
Speaker 3: And it highlights the importance of thoroughly validating user input and restricting server side requests to trusted domains.
Speaker 1: Wow, we've covered a lot of ground today, from injection attacks to template exploits to service side request forgery. We've explored a whole arsenal of hacking techniques and I'm starting to see how interconnected these vulnerabilities are.
Speaker 3: And we've only scratched the surface of what this book has to off.
Speaker 1: Well, listener, we're just getting started. Stay tuned for part two of this deep dive, where we'll explore how ethical hackers put this knowledge into practice to make the Internet a safer place for everyone.
Speaker 3: Absolutely looking forward to it. Welcome back. Last time we explored a range of Web vulnerabilities and how hackers exploit them. Now let's dive into how ethical hackers use this knowledge for good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. It's not just about finding these weaknesses, but understanding how to fix them and make the Internet a safer place. So where do ethical hackers even begin?
Speaker 3: It all starts with reconnaissance, kind of like a detective gathering clues before cracking a case. Ethical hackers need to understand their target, the organization, it's systems, its online presence.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about like diving straight into the code. You need to do your homework first. What kind of information are we talking about?
Speaker 3: Everything helps identifying subdomains, mapping out the technology they use, even analyzing publicly available information like job postings or social media profiles. It's about building a comprehensive picture of your target.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you're piecing together a digital jigsaw puzzle. What tools help with this reconnaissance phase?
Speaker 3: The book mentions a few interesting ones. NOCPI, for instance, helps automate the process of finding subdomains. It scans a domain for potential subdomains that you might not even know exist, expanding the attack surface and potentially revealing hidden vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how much information is out there, just waiting to be discovered. It's like panning for gold in the vast river of data. What other tools do ethical hackers use?
Speaker 3: Inumol is another great tool. It scrapes data from various sources like search engines and social media, acting like a super powered search engine for finding information related to your target. And don't underestimate the power of Google dorking, which uses advanced search operators to uncover sensitive information that's publicly accessible but often hidden in plain sight.
Speaker 1: So you're essentially a digital detective using all the tools at your disposal to gather evidence. Once you've gathered enough information, what's the next step.
Speaker 3: Once we have a good understanding of our target, the next step is to map out the functionality of the web application or system.
Speaker 1: We're looking at functionality mapping. It sounds like you're creating a blueprint of the application. Why is the step so important?
Speaker 3: It's about understanding how the application works, what features it offers, how those features interact, what happens when you input data, and how the server responds. It's about getting to know the application inside and out, so you're not.
Speaker 1: Just looking for obvious flaws. You're trying to understand the system's logic. It's flow. It's like learning the rules of a game before you start playing exactly.
Speaker 3: And during this phase you're also on the lookout for any clues that might suggest potential vulnerabilities. You might analyze error messages, look for unexpected behavior, or test the limits of input fields to see if they're properly validated.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a combination of exploration and experimentation, always being curious and looking for something that seems out of place. What kind of things would raise a red flag during.
Speaker 3: This process, Well, let's say you're testing an input field. Can you enter a bunch of random characters or special symbols? If the application crashes or displays a strange error message, that could be a sign that the input isn't being properly validated, and that could open the door to injection attacks like the ones we talked about earlier.
Speaker 1: It's like shaking a box to see if something rattles inside It's a simple test, but it can reveal a lot about the structure and security of the system. Once you've mapped out the functionality and identified some potential areas of interest, what happens next?
Speaker 3: Before we start poking and prodding for vulnerabilities, we need to understand the scope of our engagement.
Speaker 1: Scope. What do you mean by that?
Speaker 3: It's the volundaries of what we're allowed to test. If we're participating in a bug bounty program, the program will define the scope outlining which systems, applications, and domains are fair game for testing. It might also specify any restrictions on the types of testing we can perform.
Speaker 1: So it's like a set of rules making sure everyone's playing fair and stay within the agreed upon boundaries. What happens if you test something that's out of scope?
Speaker 3: That could get you disqualified from the program or even land you in legal trouble. Ethical hacking is all about responsible disclosure, and that includes respecting the rules and boundaries set by the organization.
Speaker 1: It makes sense you don't want to accidentally cause any harm or step on any toes. So let's say you've defined the scope, mapped out the functionality, and identified some potential vulnerabilities. Now it's time for the real hacking to begin.
Speaker 3: Right now, the real fun begins. It's time to put our knowledge and skills to the test.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk tools and techniques. What are some of the essentials in an ethical hacker's toolkit.
Speaker 2: Two of the.
Speaker 3: Most popular and powerful tools are burp suite and zap Proxy. They're like superpowered browsers for hackers, allowing us to intercept, analyze, and manipulate the traffic between our browser.
Speaker 1: And the server, so you can see everything that's going on behind the scenes. Of like being in the control room of a website. What kind of things are you looking for in that traffic.
Speaker 3: We're looking for patterns, anomalies, anything that seems out of place or suspicious. We might analyze the headers, the cookies, the parameters, looking for weaknesses that we could exploit.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you're deciphering a secret code, looking for hidden messages and vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it.
Speaker 3: Ethical hacking requires a combination of technical skills, creativity, and a good dose of curiosity. You need to be able to think like an attacker, anticipating their moves and finding those hidden weaknesses before they do.
Speaker 1: So it's a constant game of cat and mouse, always trying to stay one step ahead. But it's not just about using tools, right, What about manual testing? Why is that still important in this age of automation.
Speaker 3: Automated tools are great for finding common vulnerabilities, but they can't replace human intuition and creativity. Manual testing allows us to apply our knowledge and experience to uncover more subtle vulnerabilities that automated tools might miss. It's about thinking outside the box, trying unconventional approaches and challenging assumptions.
Speaker 1: So it's about using your brain as well as your tools. You're not just blindly running scans. You're actively engaging with the application, trying to understand its weaknesses and how to exploit them exactly.
Speaker 3: It's about being a problem solver, thinking critically and approaching each target strategically.
Speaker 1: It sounds incredibly challenging but also incredibly rewarding. You're not just finding bugs, you're helping to make the Internet a safer place for everyone. And of course there's the thrill of the hunt, the satisfaction of finding a vulnerability that no one else is discovered.
Speaker 3: That's definitely part of the appeal. There's a real sense of accomplishment when you uncover a critical vulnerability and know that you've potentially prevented a major security breach.
Speaker 1: So let's say you found a vulnerability. What happens next? You need to tell someone about it? Right, But how do you do that responsibly? What's the process for disclosing a vulnerability? That's right, We've talked about finding these vulnerabilities, but how do you disclose them responsibly? You can't just shout it from the rooftops.
Speaker 3: Right, definitely not. The book dedicates a whole chapter to this and really emphasizes understand and following the specific disclosure guidelines for each program or organization.
Speaker 1: So different programs have different rules. What kind of things do these guidelines usually cover?
Speaker 3: They usually specify things like how to submit a report, who to contact, what information to include, and how long to wait before making the vulnerability public. Okay, it's all about ensuring that the organization have time to fix the problem before it's exploited by malicious actors.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. You don't want to accidentally tip off the bad guys while you're trying to be the good guy. So what about the report itself. What makes a good vulnerability report?
Speaker 3: Clarity is key. A good report needs to be clear, concise, and easy to understand. It should include a descriptive title that summarizes the vulnerability right, a detailed description of how it works and its potential impact, step by step instructions on how to reproduce it, and any relevant proof of concept code or screenshots.
Speaker 1: So you're basically handing them a roadmap saying here's the problem, here's how to rec create it, and here's how serious it could be. Exactly, you're making it as easy as possible for them to understand and fix the issue.
Speaker 3: The goal is to help them resolve the vulnerability quickly and efficiently, not to create more work for them.
Speaker 1: Now. The book also mentions confirming the vulnerability before reporting it. Why is that so important?
Speaker 3: Submitting a false positive or an inaccurate report can damage your reputation as an ethical hacker. It also wastes the organization's time and resources, which could be better spent fixing real vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: So it's like the Boy who Cried Wolf. If you keep reporting false alarms, people will stop taking you seriously.
Speaker 3: Right, It's important to be thorough and to double check your work before submitting a report. Make sure you can consistently reproduce the vulnerability and that you understand its potentially impact.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you've done your due diligence, submitted your report, and crickets. What happens if the organization doesn't respond?
Speaker 3: It happens sometimes The book recommends following up politely after a reasonable amount of time. Okay, but remember be patient and respectful. Bug Bounty program can get a lot of submissions and it might take some time for them to review and respond to each one.
Speaker 1: It's like waiting for a response to a job application. You don't want to pester them every day, but a gentle nudge after a few weeks is probably.
Speaker 3: Okay exactly, and it's important to use the designated channels for communication. Don't try to bypass the system or contact people directly, follow the rules and be professional.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, So patients and professionalism are key when dealing with organizations. Now you mentioned something earlier called signal, Can you explain that a little bit more on how it relates to ethical hacking.
Speaker 3: Signal is a metric used by platforms like hacker one to assess the quality and impact of vulnerability reports.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: It takes into account things like the severity of the vulnerability, the clarity of the report, and whether the report was resolved.
Speaker 1: So it's like a reputation score for hackers. The higher your signal, the more credible you are.
Speaker 3: Precisely, a high signal indicates a skilled and reliable ethical hacker, someone who consistently submits high quality reports and helps or organizations improve their security.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about finding the most vulnerabilities, it's about finding the right ones and reporting them effectively. Quality matters more than quantity in this field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, and building a good signal can open doors to opportunities like private bug bounty programs, which offer exclusive access to test more sensitive systems and often have higher payouts.
Speaker 1: That's a great incentive to strive for excellence in your vulnerability reports. Now, the book wraps up with the section on tools for ethical hacking. We've already touched on burp suite and zip proxy, but what other tools are essential for any aspiring hacker.
Speaker 3: The book mentions a bunch of them, and they cover a wide range of functionality. You've got tools for reconnaissance and scanning like end map and showdand tools for exploiting vulnerabilities like squall map and metasploid, and tools for web application testing like burp suite and osp is app.
Speaker 1: It's a whole arsenal of digital tools. It sounds like ethical hacking requires a pretty diverse skill set. Where can someone even begin to learn all of this?
Speaker 3: The good news is that there are tons of resources available. The book recommends checking out the OAS website, which is a great source of information on web application security, as well as hacker Wan's activity feed, which showcases real world vulnerability reports and provides insights into how hackers think and operate.
Speaker 1: It's like having a window into the minds of the pros. That's incredible. What other resources do you recommend?
Speaker 3: There are also many security blogs, online communities, and even online courses where you can learn from experienced hackers and security professionals. The key is to be curious, to keep learning, and to practice your skills in a safe and ethical environment.
Speaker 1: So ethical hacking is a journey, not a destination. It's about constantly learning and evolving, just like the technology you're trying to protect.
Speaker 3: That's a great way to put it, and with the ever evolving landscape of technology, and security threats. Ethical hackers play a crucial role in making the Internet a safer place for everyone.
Speaker 1: Well listener. That concludes our deep dive into web hacking one oh one. We've covered a lot of ground today, from the basics of how how the Internet works to a wide range of hacking techniques and tools. Hopefully you've gained a deeper understanding of the world of ethical hacking and the importance of responsible disclosure. If you're interested in learning more, we highly recommend checking out the book itself. It's a fantastic resource for anyone interested in ethical hacking, whether you're a seasoned professional or just starting out. And if you're feeling inspired to take your cybersecurity knowledge to the next level, don't forget to explore the resources mentioned in the book. There's a whole community of ethical hackers out there working together to make the Internet a safer place for everyone. Happy Hacking