Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Well, good morning, it's five o'clock. This is your wake up call for Wednesday, March twelfth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Got my oatmeal, almost missed the start of the show. I was a little worried there, Well let's go.
Speaker 4: Where's those I thought it was my big break?
Speaker 1: Take it away, will guys. You know what, last night was such a beautiful evening. We got some rain yesterday and then I was sitting out on my balcony last night and just going, this is gore you get after the rain comes in, clears out the air and it was clear skies with just some light fluffy clouds. Don't let appearances be deceiving. We got a big one on the way. Checking out my Eagles. Yeah, they're doing good. Everybody got a good feeding last night.
Speaker 5: Even a little Rocky.
Speaker 1: Okay, Rocky's doing good. So we've got we've got I've named all three of them now, and they haven't started the naming process yet. They'll take applications eventually as they get older, because again, we're gonna make sure all they're gonna survive. But they'll take applications later and we'll tell you about that, of course. But I've temporarily named them. So I've got Rocky, the one who was the most recent to hatch because he's little and he's gonna have to fight, right, Okay. So then there's another one that kind of keeps getting away from them from moms. She kind of ventures out, so we're calling her Dora the Explore. And then there's the third one, who I think is probably the first born. He's a vicious little guy. It's what they do, this order thing, right, and he just kind of attacks the other two when he wants food. Wow, so I'm calling him Brutus.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we got our eyes on the nest. They're doing good, and they got a snowstorm coming, so mom and dad have their work cut out for them to keep those babies nice and dry. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. LA County public Works crews have prepared debris basins, stabilized slopes, and reinforced drainage systems to reduce flood risk. As a second storm moves into southern California, officials say debris and mudflows could block streets and threaten homes, and they eaton palisades, Bridge Hurst, Kenneth Hughes, Sunset, Lydia, and Franklin Burn areas. Man We've had a lot of fires in the last few years. La County has its first case of measles. Health officials say a person with measles arrived at Lax on a China airline's flight on March fifth. People may have also been exposed in North Hollywood and Elmonte. The Houses passed a bill to keep funding the government through September. All but one Republican supported the measure, all but one Democrat opposed it. We're gonna find out what happens next with ABC Stephen Portnoy. That's coming up in about two minutes. Rich Demiro is going to tell us how to spot a spam call in case you're not quite sure. And also a new interactive restaurant in downtown La I'm interested to see what an interactive restaurant is and whether it's any good. Also, Joel Larsgard coming up before the top of the hour. He wasn't able to join us yesterday because he was at the iHeart Podcast Awards in Texas, but he's joining us today. People are getting worried about our recession, so we're gonna take a look at your money with that one. Also, Amy's on it. I am streaming a chilling docuseries. Things are not always as they appear, and when you pull back the curtains, something that looks perfect on the surface looks a lot different, possibly even demonic. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Late winter storms expected to bring heavy rain to much of southern California through at least Friday. The National Weather Service has issued a floodwatch for twenty four hours starting at six this evening. Meteorologist Robbie Monroe says the rain could cause mudslides and debris flows, especially in the burn areas.
Speaker 6: Minor impacts are likely from the rain, and then more significant impacts are possible focused in that floodwatch area. With the front especially, we could see strong thunderstorms with damaging win and a week brief tornado.
Speaker 1: Oh wouldn't that be fun a tornado? He does say the chance of a tornado is less than five percent. A plan to fork over hundreds of thousands of dollars to add security for a utility leader in La has been pushed back.
Speaker 7: The OLDWP board of directors had planned to vote on a seven hundred thousand dollars private security contract for CEO Janie Kinoniez. Board president Richard Katz says he got a call from La Mayor Bass with instructions to cut the price.
Speaker 4: We're going to work on that between now in the next meeting and see if we'll get either a couple more quotes on it or pare down the quote that we have.
Speaker 7: The board has decided to re visit the issue in two weeks. Kona says she's gotten lots of threats since the wildfires in downtown La. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers are getting ready to play the Chicago Cubs on opening day in the twenty twenty five MLB Tokyo Series. It starts Tuesday at the Iconic Tokyo Dome. There are three Japanese players on the Dodgers roster. Pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto can be seen in an Instagram video teaching some of his teammates a few words in Japanese.
Speaker 8: Ya.
Speaker 9: That's kunichiwaknichi wa oishi ladishaishi oshi oichi oichi oishi Kwaii cute.
Speaker 6: I'm for sure gonna butcher that one.
Speaker 10: Kawai Kai kawai, kawai I can be kawai.
Speaker 1: Tickets for the series in Japan are selling for over one thousand dollars. I'm glad they're having some fun. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Stephen portnoys Hos. Stephen, we talked yesterday. The House, as expected, passed a bill to fund the government. How did it shake out yesterday?
Speaker 2: Well, it passed. It passed two seventeen to two thirteen. And one of the big questions hanging over yesterday's vote was whether Speaker Mike Johnson would be able to keep all of his Republican colleagues in line to pass a continuing resolution. And he was able to do it with only one exception, and that was Thomas Massey of Kentucky, who said he was going to vote no and did vote no. But Johnson's bill gained the support of one Democrat, Jared Golden of Maine, crossed the aisle and voted for the continuing resolution. So now the House has left town, and as we describe it here in Washington, the House has jammed the Senate ahead of a Friday night deadline. The ball is now in the Senate's court. And the question there is will Democrats get on board behind this the way Jared Golden of Maine did yesterday in the House, or will they stand in lockstep filibuster this bill and see to a shutdown on Friday night. The choice is for Democrats now.
Speaker 1: To make okay. So and then let's review again. Because it's different. It's a different threshold in the Senate than in the House. The House just needed a simple majority to move it over to the Senate. The Senate needs more than that.
Speaker 2: The Senate, under its rules, requires sixty votes to end debate and bring a measure to a formal vote. Under this process and procedure, that will be used. And the question is are there sixty votes? The Republicans have fifty three in the Senate, and one of them, Rand Paul of Kentucky, same state as Thomas Massey, has announced he's going to vote no on a principal basis he doesn't like CRS. He thinks they don't cut enough, and so he'll be in no. Then you need eight Democrats to cross the aisle and vote for the bill. So the calculus is this. All across the country there are liberal activists who are looking at Washington and saying, Democrats, we've elected you to make a stand. Your job is to make a stand. This is a part as in measure. If you get on board behind it, you are undermining the liberal movement and your undermining federal workers who are calling on you to stand up.
Speaker 3: Here for their rights.
Speaker 2: Overnight we learned that the Education Department is essentially being gutted, with fifty percent of the people who work at that agency apparently being set to be laid off. And so the question is will send it. Democrats object to the fact there's nothing in this bill that aims to tie Dog's hands to prevent future firings. Plus, they note that some money has been taken away from some domestic agencies to plus up spending at the Pentagon, And they point out that it's a full year CR that is a full fiscal year CR under last year's levels. Things only get more expensive over time, and this money isn't going up, it's going it's staying flat. And they see that as a cut the way Washington views spending. So they have their reasons for voting against it. The question is will all of them vote against it or will a moderate Democratic block go on with the Republicans? Say, fellas ladies, it's not worth dragging the entire country into a government shutdown if we don't have the votes to do what we want to do.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Okay, and is there I know you got to run any indication, any rumblings of what it might go or do. We just don't know yet.
Speaker 3: We don't know yet.
Speaker 2: And that's why I am couching it by saying we'll have to say no.
Speaker 3: Otherwise I'd be much more direct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have to see. Chuck Schumer will have remarks at about midday today as the Senate comes into session, and maybe he'll give us an indication as to which way things are going.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll be watching. Stephen Portenoy, thanks so much for the information. Appreciate it, you bet. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four Hour Newsroom. Ukraine has agreed to a US plan for a thirty day ceasefire with Russia. ABC's James Longman says the plan now goes to Moscow for approval.
Speaker 11: The tools in Saudi Arabia cool for immediate negotiations to end this war. I propose prisoner exchange, the return of forcibly displaced Ukrainian children, and the commit to signing the Minerals Deal all part of the discussion.
Speaker 1: He says. The US announced it will lift the pause on military aid and intelligence sharing. The Canadian province of Ontario is pausing a planned surcharge on electricity exported to parts of Michigan, Minnesota, and New York.
Speaker 12: Ontario Premier Doug Ford says the province will temporarily suspend its twenty five percent charge on electricity exports. The move comes after US President Trump threatened to double tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum from twenty five percent to fifty percent in retaliation.
Speaker 1: IIRA Spitzer reports Ford made the change on the surcharge after the US Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnik agreed to renew trade talks. Mass layoffs underway at the Federal Department of Education. As you heard Stephen Portnoir mention reduction in force notices were sent out yesterday to more than thirteen hundred employees. ABC's Mary Alex Parks says all RIF employees will work for another ninety days with full pay benefits until they are fully terminated.
Speaker 8: National Education Association writing, the real victims will be our most vulnerable students gutting.
Speaker 2: The Department of Education will send class sizes soaring.
Speaker 1: The layoffs are part of President Trump's downsizing of the federal government. A deportation hearing is being held in New York for a pro Palestinian activist at Columbia University.
Speaker 13: Mahmoud Khalil, was arrested by ICE agents and had a student visa revoked. His lawyers are now challenging deportation orders, arguing he's here legally with the green card. Students are weighing in on the fact that Khalil was a key leader of the pro Palestinian demonstrations at Columbia.
Speaker 1: Okay if I Scott Pringle says students have been protesting since Khalil's arrest on Saturday. His lawyers and civil rights advocates say his detention is an assault on free speech and an attempt to suppress pro Palestinian views. Hey, wake up colleagues, going to the dogs for a good cause, and we need you to do it. It is time for the Wiggle Waggle Walk and Run for Pasadena Humane. It's coming up in just over three weeks and we would love, love, love for you to join us. So here's the lowdown. It's happening on Sunday, April sixth at Brookside Park at the Rose Bowl. The walk and run starts at nine am. The event opens about an hour earlier, and it's a great way for you to grab your pooch and head on down to the park. We've got vendors and food trucks, training demonstrations, there's a dog costume contest if you are so inclined. Also, we're gonna have the KFI booth there and we're going to have special exclusive KFI swag bags to hand out to the first three hundred people who stop by. And here's the best part. We would love you to come and walk with us to raise money for Pasadena Humane. Join the wake Up Call wigglers. You can walk with us well. Cole Schreiber's going to join us producer AND's gonna be there. Last year Mo Kelly was there, so you know, you just know who's going to show up. And I've seen as people are signing up for the team and thank you so much appreciate that. If you would like to join the team and come and walk with us, very easy to do. Just go and go to KFIAM six forty dot com slash wiggle and it'll take you right to the wake Up Call Wiggler's page. Easy for me to say. By by the day of the walk, I'll probably have it figured out. We'll roll off my tongue very easily. But anyway, we're the wake Up Call Whigglers. We would love for you to come and join us. If you can't join us that day, we'll still take your donations again. You can do that at KFIAM six forty dot com slash wiggle and it's all to benefit the Pasadena Humane. It's one of their biggest fundraisers of the year and it helps to save the lives of thousands of animals in our community with foster care and a kitten nursery, animal I see you wildlife and more so they do really important work for our furry friends, and this is our way to help them. It's the wiggle Waggle Walk. Please join us. April sixth a late winter storms expected to bring one to two inches of rain to the valleys and coast, two to four inches in the foothills and mountains. The heaviest rainfall is expected tonight into tomorrow morning, with a floodwatch in effect from six pm through tomorrow at six pm. Mud and debrief flows possible in the wildfire burn areas. Just one in five people think LA may Or Bass did a good job responding to the LA wildfires. A new survey out of UC Berkeley says more than forty percent thinks she did a poor or very poor job handling the fires. In Pacific Palisades and other areas. Keyless cars are being targeted in southern California. Burbank Police say thieves can use a device that remotely scans for a keyfob signal, then it creates a cloned key and they can start and steal the car from there. Police say people should park in a garage possible, and consider installing motion sensing lights or video cameras where they park. Let's say good morning now to the host of Rich on Tech on KFI. It's KTLA's tech reporter Rich Demurro. Rich. Okay, both Will and I got to know what is an interactive restaurant? And tell us about the one you just went and saw.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I stayed out way too late last night going to downtown in LA for this this place called the Gallery. So this is a new restaurant that's kind of like think about like.
Speaker 3: A modern theme restaurant.
Speaker 10: So it's a bunch of theme park designers that decided, you know what, let's do something kind of fun and different.
Speaker 3: And so you go in.
Speaker 10: Not only is the bar really cool and it's got all these little interactive kind of things going on in the background, but then you go into this dining room. And in the dining room, they've got all these projectors on the ceiling that are sort of hidden, but they project things onto your table. And then of course the walls all come to life as well. So while you're eating, this was like appealing to the five senses. And so they had like fire, I guess, not the senses, I guess the world the earth. It was like dirt and fire and water, and so the whole room comes alive with this sort of different theme depending on what you're eating.
Speaker 1: Okay, and what were you eating?
Speaker 3: All kinds of stuff. I couldn't you know. It's it was all like.
Speaker 10: Five course meals, so it was a lot of like the first one was like the one it was like a solid served on a bed of dirt and it was I mean, it looked like dirt. It was not dirt. But the whole point of this place is that it's sort of interactive and it's a sensory experience. The dinner theme is elementa. But here's the deal. I predict that this place will be rented out by a lot of companies because because of the design of the room, it's very tech forward, Like the whole thing can kind of be it can take on different looks. So I imagine, like if you're premiering a movie or a new album, you can transform this room to kind of fit what you're trying to do.
Speaker 3: And I think that's the true magic of it.
Speaker 1: Well cool, it was the food good.
Speaker 3: The food was good.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yes, I didn't try the duck, but everything else I did try and it was good.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move on to scams, because man, they're coming up everywhere. I just got several messages on my phone and I was like, I got to ask rich about this. Where I got texts and the text appears to be from Microsoft. It says Microsoft someone else might have accessed, and then it shows like the asterisks and a bunch of those and then the last two letters or numbers of my email address, and it says you can recover at I'm like, no, no, yeah.
Speaker 10: I've been getting yep, yeah, a lot of people getting that one. Be careful, a lot of people getting that one. For sure, that one's trying to steal your Microsoft log in. But there's just so many these things, just NonStop.
Speaker 3: All day, every day.
Speaker 10: And what I talk about on my radio show is that the scam artists do something that's very similar to what we actually get from.
Speaker 3: From a company.
Speaker 10: So they take that actual Microsoft confirmation text or fraud alert text and they kind of re engineer it right to be scammy. So it looks the same, it reads the same, but the link that you're getting is not the right one. So just be very careful look at who these things are coming from, and if you don't expect them, you know, be a little bit spidy sense, Like okay, I didn't really try logging in what's happening here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay? And then over on the phone side, you know, like when I get a phone call, sometimes it says spam risk. When I don't recognize the number, I'm not sure if I should pick up or not. But you have a way to detect spam calls.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that one, you know you can safely not pick up. But as any parent knows, if you've got kids, you can't. Even if it's a number you don't recognize, you kind of have to pick it up just because you know who knows. And that happened to me once my kid broke his arm, and it's like, I should I pick up this phone call?
Speaker 3: Should I not? Thankfully I did.
Speaker 10: But I tried this new thing where basically I got a call I didn't know if it was a scam artist or not. Is from the Bank of America credit card Verification department, sounds very official, And I said, I think this might be a scam. So I pressed the little recording icon on the iPhone and I said, this call will be recorded, and all of a sudden, as soon as it announced that to the call boom, the person hung up. So I was like, oh, this must be a scam. So I posted this to my Instagram. Many people have tried it since, and I'm getting lots of reports that it almost works like a charm every single time, And I think it might even work for like, if you just want to get off the phone with like a telemarketer, just press that. Once they hear that, ok they don't want to be on the.
Speaker 1: Recording, Okay, good, good to know. And then I'm having issues with my DVD. But this is a different thing. There's something called disc rot.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I just basically wanted to say that because I've never heard of disc rop, but.
Speaker 3: I understand.
Speaker 10: You know, if you've got old tapes around the house, like those are definitely at risk of like going bad, so definitely get those digitized. But DVDs are supposed to last like one hundred years. But apparently there are some manufacturing issues with Warner Brothers Home entertainment discs like these are you know, movies from two thousand and six to two thousand and eight, so they're failing prematurely, which means people are putting them in their drives and they're not loading, they're freezing while they play, or they just don't play at all, and so Warner Brothers apparently is aware of this. You can get in touch with them. They will either replace the disc and if they can't get the disc anymore, they will give you a title of similar value. So basically, if you've got Warner Brothers movies that are a little bit older on DVD, put them in your DVD player if you still have one.
Speaker 3: I mean, who still has this thing?
Speaker 1: I have a DVD DVD player but it doesn't work.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean in La, look where, you know, it's a movie city, so people probably have more than other places. But check them out. Make sure you don't. You don't want disc rot to ruin your day.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: And you can hear Rich say disc rot and so many other things when you listen to him every Saturday from eleven to two right here on KFI. He is KFI tech guy Richdimiro. You can also follow him on Instagram at rich on Tech. His website where you can get all the information of the stuff he talks about is rich on tech dot TV, and of course you can see him every day on KTLA.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, Rich headed that way. Now, all right, we have.
Speaker 1: A good one. Health officials in La County have reported the first local case of measles this year.
Speaker 4: The infected person and La County resident recently traveled through lax The person was on a China Airlines flight that landed in Los Angeles on March fifth. The person also visited a nail salon in North Hollywood on March seventh and a grocery store in Almonte on March tenth.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Mark Mayfield says public health officials will be notifying people who may have been exposed. Governor Newsom has announced a parole hearing date for the Menendez brothers. They've asked the governor for clemency. Newsom asked the parole board to do a risk assessment. The governor said on his new podcast yesterday that Eric and Lyle Menendez will independently have their final hearing on June thirteenth.
Speaker 7: A report then will be submitted to me on the thirteenth of June for consideration.
Speaker 1: He says that report will be given to the judge for the resentencing and that will weigh into his analysis of whether or not to move forward with the clemency request. La County DA Hawkman said this week that he is against re sentencing for the brothers. Orange County supervisors have approved a resolution to prepare for a possible surge in children left without guardians because of stepped up immigration enforcement. The resolution, which passed on a four to one vote, was introduced in response to inquiries from school officials about what was being done to take care of children whose parents may be deported. Nearly four thousand campsites in California's eighteen National Forest could close this summer because of federal budget cuts. The New York Times says an email to state forest supervisors requested a list of parks that might be shut down to save money. The Times as an internal agency memo indicates financial limitations could render some sites unsafe because there is not the ability to maintain them any longer. According to the Forest Service, the list is still in the planning stages and no final decisions have been made. Evacuation warnings have been issued to specific areas vulnerable to mudslides, including the Hollywood Hills, Pacific Palisades, and Altadena and Sierra Madre. Fire officials say they've been going door to door to alert residents of the warnings. Caltrans is closing part of pH starting at noon. Because of safety concerns as the storm moves in, people who live in the area are being told to take alternate routes. Ukraine has agreed to a thirty day ceasefire and its war with Russia. The deal was announced following talks in Saudi Arabia. Secretary of State Marco Rubio says they will now present the deal to Russia. National Security Advisor Also Walls also announced that the US will lift the pause on military aid and intel sharing with Ukraine. A NASA SpaceX rocket is scheduled to launch from Kennedy Space Center this evening. The Dragon nine capsule will take a four person crew up to the International Space Station. The capsule will provide a ride home for astronauts Sunny Williams and Butch Wilmore, whose eight day mission in June has turned into a nine month long mission in space. At six oh five, handle on the news, the House has passed a bill to keep the lights on in Washington, d C. Will the Senate do the same? Bill's going to weigh in.
Speaker 4: Aamie's on it, Damie's on, Amy's on it, Gami's on it?
Speaker 1: What am I on?
Speaker 9: I'm on?
Speaker 1: Movies? TV shows, documentaries, sometimes even books. Uh, this week, I'm on a docuseries. I haven't watched the docuseries for a while, and producer and said, oh my god, you have to watch Devil in the Family. And I said, oh my god, I will because you know, I like to take recommendations from people. So if you have a great record mandation, let me know. Because there's so much content out on the stream that like, how do you know what to watch and spend your time on or you know, maybe what you should pass on. Here's something you should spend your time on. It's called Devil in the Family. Again. It's on Hulu and it's a very short docu series. I think it's only three is it three episodes or four? Three? Yeah, I watched them all in rapid succession yesterday, so I'm not sure how many series episodes. But anyway, it's the story of Ruby Frankie. She is a mother of six in a beautiful neighborhood in Utah. It's very idyllic looking. It kind of actually looks like a scene from Paradise, you know, the perfect preconstructed world. She looks like she has the perfect family, and she is anxious to share it. According to her husband, maybe a little obsessive about sharing it. So she shares her family on YouTube. She is a parenting influencer. Who knew there was such things? I guess there's influencers for everything. And she becomes a YouTube sensation. She videos anything and everything, and she puts out this image to the world of the perfect family, and she's making millions doing it. They go viral, They've got over like a million followers, and then it kind of takes a twist as you pull back the curtain a little bit. A counselor named Jody, who says she speaks the truth, enters their lives and sets about to start manipulating Ruby and Ruby's husband and her son, Chad, her teenage son, and the whole family. It's a real life story, but it plays out like a Hollywood movie. I mean there's demons and cults and a fall from grace and abuse and kind of how the road to hell is paved with good intentions or is it. It's a quick watch, like I said, just three episodes, and it is riveting to see her and to see what she does and how her family at first loves being internet stars, and then hates it, and the backlash and how she kind of gets hit by cancel culture and her craving for fame and what that leads to, and how her relationships develop and devolve. It's not the show kind of show that I normally gravitate toward, but it is riveting and it's very disturbing, and I'm on it and I think you should be too. Kind of reminds me of the Urpin family, remember them out in Riverside, Camp County. They had the thirteen kids and they were torturing them and that kind of stuff. It takes a very dark turn, but it's a very very interesting, interesting series. Again, it's Devil in the Family and it's on Hulu, and I think you should be on it. Time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho Courtney, the stock market more continues to take a dark and sinister turn.
Speaker 8: Yes yesterday it definitely did. It definitely took a dark and sinister turn. But this morning it is a completely different story. Yesterday, we did have another volatile day of trading. Wall Street whipsaw by President Trump's on and off plans with Canada. The Dow wrapped up the day falling four hundred and seventy eight points, So it was a rough end to the day. Travel stocks really took a hit, from the airline to the cruise companies. They were under pressure yesterday after both American Airlines and Delta slash their financial outlooks on weaker demand. Now this morning, completely different story. We just had inflation data just crossing and consumer prices came in lower than what economists were expecting. It's giving people here on Wall Street a little bit of relief here now. To put in in perspective, the consumer price indecks increased two tenths of a percent last month, but when you look at what happened in January, that was a sharp half a percent rise. So year over year, inflation rose two point eight percent. That is the smallest in November. So people are feeling, ah, this is a little bit better.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 8: We see the S and P five hundred jumping. It's up one percent right now in early trading, and Dow futures are up two hundred and fifty points.
Speaker 1: Now when you.
Speaker 8: Dig into the report a little bit more, the list of repeat offenders that hasn't really changed much, but there are some hints of a little better behavior. Shelter costs rose four point two percent over the last year, but that was the smallest increase since twenty twenty one. Shelter cost housing, yes, exactly, and that's what they call it. Car insurance and medical care too. We did see some big increases with that, but it's worth noting a four percent dip in airline fares and that probably matches some of the recent downbeak commentary that we saw yesterday. We've put pressure on the airline.
Speaker 1: I don't believe that for a second. We were just talking about it. I know prices for flights are just stupid expensive right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you want to ask people who are gathering the data, where are you going that is cheaper as they are coming out with those numbers. But yeah, this is just making overall. When you look at what's happening, people are like, oh, this is a little bit better because we know we're going to have some impact from Tariff's coming up in the future, so at least we're coming from a little bit better of a perspective or a little bit better of a feeling right about now before we go into some of the ugliness later on, I'm sure, which is going to come down the line for a lot of consumer prices.
Speaker 1: Okay. So and speaking of feeling, people are feeling like they need to leave work earlier and it's happening.
Speaker 8: Yes, I mean, look at how times have changed when it comes to work. Remember, I mean, I'm going to play a little song for you, because remember back in the day working lot a. Yeah, things have changed since nineteen eighty. So forget about five o'clock. The average workday now ends at four thirty nine pm, not four thirty eight, not four fifty, but it's thirty six minutes earlier than just two years ago, when the clock out time hovered around five twenty one. There's a productivity software company. They're called Active Track. They looked at all these different companies, more than seven hundred companies, and their workers and said, the average worker logs in at seven forty nine am, making the work day around eight hours and forty one minutes. But even the workday hours are a little bit shorter. We're actually working fifty minutes shorter than two years ago.
Speaker 1: We can work, they say, is on the rise. I hate we can work on the rise unless it's I guess your work week, Okay, And then real quick before you go. Metallica is teaming up with Apple.
Speaker 8: Yes, then I got more music for you with that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: They're releasing an immersive concert film on Apple's Vision pro headset, coming up on Friday. It was shot this past September of Mexico City and includes a rendition of hits like you just heard Enter Sandman, and songs from the film too, will also be available.
Speaker 1: On Apple Music. Okay, And so I'm guessing you're gonna have to buy that in addition to buying the twenty five dollars. I'm sure sets they'll find a way, all right. That's your business. With Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe. We do it every day right here Onfi's wake up Call. Thank you, Courtney, see you later, Okay. A second storm is moving into southern California, with one to two inches of very expected along the coast and in the valleys, two to four inches in the foothills and mountains, and one to two feet of snow could fall above thirty five hundred feet, with the Grapevine likely affected. Heaviest trains expected late tonight into tomorrow morning. Residents, small business owners, and workers impacted by the January. Wildfires have until five pm today to apply for financial relief from the county. Up to twenty five thousand dollars in grants are available for business owners. Six to eighteen thousand dollars in grants are available to homeowners and renters. These are separate from the FEMA grants. You can get information and applications at lacounty dot gov. California Attorney General Rob Bonta and La County DA Nathan Hawkman say law enforcement has made its biggest fentanyl bust in state history. They say fifty pounds of fentanyl powder has been seized. That's enough to make fourteen million deadly doses of the drug, enough to kill every person in La County. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, measles has made its way to La County. Oh goodie. Let's say good morning now to the host of How to Money on KFI. It's our very own Joel Larsgard, who stood us up yesterday because he wanted to go to an awards show.
Speaker 5: I know, I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 3: Amy, That's okay.
Speaker 1: Was it fun? You were at the the iHeart Podcast awards show.
Speaker 5: That's right, it was so much fun. I didn't win, but I enjoyed being there. It was so much fun just to meet all the interesting podcasters doing cool stuff in the industry.
Speaker 1: All right, okay, so back to money. Everybody's getting very nervous because of the tariffs in the back and forth with all that, and that has people talking recession.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, for sure, and recession. There's like this like Goofield saying that economists have predicted nine out of the last five recessions, like they're just always predicting recessions. And I remember maybe like eighteen months ago, Bloomberg had this like fabled article where they said, our recession indicator is telling us that there's one hundred percent chance of a recession, and then that recession didn't materialize. And so sometimes people get fatigued at hearing these predictions over and over and they're like, all right, come on, when is it actually gonna happen or we actually gonna experience this recession. It's certainly looking a lot more real, uh these days, and it's looking a lot more likely. And I think that's largely that's not because the economy was on the rock, so that there was even this uh, there was something happening kind of uh that there was there was an underlying weakness or something in in the marketplace. It's literally just economic policy from our elected officials right now. And so what's happening with tariffs is creating so much uncertainty, so much unnecessary uncertainty in the marketplace and for a lot of businesses that and it's and it's also causing a lot of investors to pull back and saying I don't know is this is this the best place for me to be putting my money right now, which just leads to a lot of uncertainty for consumers too on the back end.
Speaker 1: Okay, so well Joel, you know, we all hear recession and everybody goes, oh, no, a recession, But what I mean practically, what does that mean for you? And mean so, yeah, so that's a good question.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's like the technical definition of a recession, right right, so that's like two quarters of down growth and and like that is something that that's like that's the nerdy economist side of things. But what it typically means we're talking about a recession and some people actually I hear some people rooting for a recession, but the truth is there's a lot of pain involved in a recession, and some people are saying, well, a recession, maybe that'll mean home price is going down. Maybe that'll mean lower stock prices, so I can get in on the action at a discounted rate. And that might be true, and there might be some fringe benefits for some people, but that's given hopefully that you keep your job right, that income continues to abound for you in the midst of tough economic times, which certainly isn't guaranteed. So you know, we could see an uptick in in layoffs. Feels like we're already kind of seeing the front end of that a little bit. But the more uncertainty there is for businesses, the less likely they are to hire people, the less likely they are to hand out generous raises. And so a recession really could be. We don't know how long a recession could last. We don't know how deep a recession could be. And again so much that that depends on whether we pivot from some of the kind of tariff insanity that we're headed towards, and if we can kind of back down on some of that and maybe use it as more of a negotiating tactic like it was early on, instead of actually implementing these tariffs which are going to harm consumers, it could mean higher prices. Even if you keep your job and things are okay in your world, well, it's just likely going to mean higher prices for everyone too. So it's really hard to say how this shakes out. But there's a lot of possibilities. And for me, when I'm talking to people, I want them to do two things. I want them to make sure that they have cash on hand, like liquid cash in a high healed savings account is more crucial in a time of economic turbulence and an uncertainty. And then the other thing is as an investor, don't do anything different. And it sounds weird to say that. I think people are like, well, I don't know, man. We can see the stock market drop another ten, fifteen to twenty percent if you are in the wealth building phase of your life, in particular, if you have a decade plus to go before you're tapping those funds, I still just don't want people touching it. I want you to have a you know, an investment policy kind of a strategy that doesn't say I'm going to change on a whim based on who's in the oval office. I want people to have the same investing approach through thick and through thin.
Speaker 1: Because when you're in the stock market, you're in for the long run.
Speaker 3: That's right, That's exactly right.
Speaker 5: And so yeah, the short run it's not been great. We're basically in correction territory here, and that you know, ten percent draw down, but also know that that's not abnormal in a given year. So what we're seeing in some ways is a little abnormal as far from a policy perspective. But what we're seeing from a stock market drop, this happens most years. In fact, that the stock market sees a drop like this. I think when it's combined though, with the politics and emotion, it just makes it.
Speaker 3: Feel a lot worse.
Speaker 1: Okay, so don't panic exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, where's panicking going to get you?
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly? This is where things are going to get you. When you listen to Joel Larsgard every weekend, he's going to help get you in get you your money house in order. We'll say that. Lots of great advice, lots of great tips. It's the host of how to Money on KFI. You can hear it every Sunday from noon to too. Right here on KFI, you can also follow Joel at how to Money Joel, Thank.
Speaker 11: You, Joel.
Speaker 3: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LA Mayor Bass says she'll never quit her city. Her comments come and she faces strong criticism about being out of the country when the wildfires started in January, and is also facing a recall effort. A pull out of UC Berkeley shows just one in five people think the mayor has done a good job responding to the fires. Forty percent say she has handled the fire's poor or very poorly. LA County supervisors back to Governor Newsom's nearly forty billion dollar request for federal wildfire recovery funds. They voted five nothing yesterday to send a letter to Congress stressing the importance of the funding. The money is needed for business, workforce and property recovery. The county has also submitted a supplemental state budget request for nine hundred million dollars for the twenty twenty five twenty six fiscal year. A new report from UCLA says President Trump's tariffs and deportation policies could hurt California.
Speaker 7: The back and forth over tariffs and the volatility in the stock market has led to economic uncertainty, according to the UCLA Anderson Forecast. Doctor Jerry Nicholsberg, who oversees the forecast, says deportations could affect the workforce in industries where illegal immigrants make up large numbers.
Speaker 1: There really was a shortage of construction workers and this is just going to make it worse.
Speaker 3: He says.
Speaker 7: Construction demand could rise soon as rebuilding begins after the wildfires. Nicholsburg also says industries like hospitality and agriculture could also see a drop in laborers. Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News Hey Ihearts Wango Tango is returning to southern California and it is headed to the beach and what can go wrong when you go to the beach Nothing? Saturday May tenth at Huntington City Beach, Wango Tango's all star lineup will feature performances by Doja, Cat Katsi, and Mix psichers A, two oh Ma, Hearts to Hearts and performing at Sunset, Orange County's very own Gwen Stefani. Tickets for Wango Tango go on sale this Friday, March fourteenth, at ten am at AXS dot com. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland. Weather from kfive. Got a chance of rain this morning, then rain is likely this afternoon. Hi's in the fifties to low sixties. A floodwatch goes into effect from six pm tonight through six pm tomorrow. Rain with a chance of thunderstorms overnight and tomorrow. The heaviest rains expected tonight and tomorrow morning. Snow is expected to be thirty five hundred feet tomorrow. Chance of rain on Friday and then for the weekend partly cloudy skies. High's in the sixties and then we have another chance of rain on Monday. It's fifty seven in Costa Mesa, fifty four in Brea, forty one in Lancaster, fifty three in Claremont. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.