Speaker 1: Welcome to Moving Conversations, a podcast for movement professionals, by movement professionals. If you coach, train, or teach movement, plates or fitness, then this podcast is for you. With more than sixty years of experience and fitness and pilates your host, Brian Richie and Norse Saint John explored the science of human movement, diving deep into the backs, myths, and common misconceptions, hoping to spark thought and conversation about how we view fitness and movement. Now let's jump into Moving Conversations and welcome back to Moving Conversation with Brian Rickie joining me as always is Norris and John. Good morning, nor How you doing farewell?
Speaker 2: Brian? How about yourself?
Speaker 1: Doing all right? Hanging in there, hanging in there? Sorry about last week. Had a little emergency occur and so I couldn't make it. I hope I hadn't been replaced. I showed up today going as someone going to be sitting in my seat. So I'm glad I'm still here. I appreciate that. So, yeah, these things have occasionally, But I got to say, I don't know if you realize this. Today is the third anniversary of our first show.
Speaker 3: At the anniversary yet close to a number of that we must be close to the end of the third.
Speaker 1: Year, right, today is the finals one of our third season. Yeah, exactly, we're a big three exactly. I was like, oh my gosh, we're at episode fifty two. Yeah, so we the fact that neither of us have missed until three until the end of the third year, I think that's pretty good. Pretty good, pretty good track rating for the two of us doing all of the travel and teaching and everything that we do all over the world. So not too bad, you know.
Speaker 3: I have to say, this is one of the things that when we first started talking about this, I just I just committed to it, and it's just been honestly, I've totally enjoyed it. It's been a blast to talk to you every week or have our guests every week, and just I've learned a whole bunch. I've just had some really good insights. It feels like it's really deepened my understanding of how the body works and how all this sortful profession that we're in goes.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I just really appreciate it. That's great. Three years.
Speaker 1: No, I've loved it. I've learned a lot. You and I have always had a great relationship and that we do bounce ideas off each other when we do talk. It's like I've been thinking about this, and then we go back and forth and have you thought about this? And we've always done that. Yeah, and this just gives us sort of an outlet to pick a topic instead of just whatever happens to be on our mind or something that we read in the news or whatever. So it's like a very focused, you know, conversation. And hopefully for our listeners you've enjoyed what we've been doing. Hopefully we've gotten better. I sort of cringe at some of the early episodes because we are figuring our way. We are trying to figure all this out, and I think it's gotten a little bit better as we go. Hopefully hopefully other people agree with that, but I think we've gotten a lot more comfortable. I love our guests. I think that they've been fantastic, always bringing up ideas and concepts and things that we wouldn't have thought of on our own. So I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's just so nice to have the different perspectives in one's head. Because we've been doing it long enough to have some you know, pretty deep grooves in terms of how we think about thing, and it's really somebod to commit and say, hey, well check out this groove over here, you know, just significent. A different perspective is often all you need to get a fresh eye on a client or a problem or some we just haven't thought of before.
Speaker 2: So song's been super fun. We've got more guests coming up to get some more coming up in the year number four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so I'm looking forward to it. It's funny that you said we just need to commit to this. At the very beginning. You said, if we're going to do this, we need to commit. And it's true. I have talked to more people who have had podcasts who have quit after five episodes, ten episodes, and oh we didn't get traction. I'm thinking, did you think that you were going to be the next big thing after four or five episodes? I mean, I'm sure there are some people, especially when podcasting was in its infancy, that may have you know, developed that sort of thing, but you talk to most of them and it's a slow burnie. You know, you gather a few more people each and every week, and you hope that it drives more people to you. And since we're in't a very small niche, you know, talking about not only healthcare but also Palate's personal training movement in general, it's a smaller niche, so I don't expect us to have five million listeners a week. So I'm just happy for every one of you who is listening. So we appreciate it very much. If you haven't hit that like and subscribe button, please please please do it. I really appreciate it. And comment anything that you would love us to talk about. Do us a favor, hit us up on email moving convos at gmail dot com. We get a number of you know, ideas coming in through there, so it's really interesting sort of to hear what you're interested in, because right now a lot of times it's what Nora and I are interested in, and it's sort of yeah. So we'd love to hear what you guys want to talk about and or say, you know, I heard you talk to such and such about this topic. We'd love you to go into more detail or is there anything new or whatever, and we can do a deeper dive, So please let us know. We really appreciate it. Today's topic is Part three, Part three, Yeah, what are we talking about? Yeah, GOP one.
Speaker 3: GOLP one. We just wanted to talk about it again because there's more people on it, there's more research that's been done.
Speaker 2: They're starting to see impacts. And also I.
Speaker 3: Think you and I certainly in our practices and in talking for me, talking to a lot of different instructors, are starting to understand what kind of what we're dealing with in the fitness studio or the plate studio. What does this mean in terms of what our clients are doing or not doing. What are we looking for all those things?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very interesting because I remember the very first client who came in that said he was on it. Now, I used to work at the National Center for Weight and Wellness. I still consult for them, but I worked down there just part time. I did their exercise consulting. And I was talking to the owner and he had mentioned things that were way before the GOP one sort of came out, the first iteration of these and they were not covered. They were only for diabetes. They were not covered by hardly any insurances, extremely expensive. If they were covered, I mean, you'd have to jump through hoops upon hoops upon hoops and he was talking to me. He said, look, they're fifteen hundred to two thousand dollars you know a week, said, but they do work, and he said a good side effect is that people do lose weight. It's just they're really strict about who can take them because off brand. You know, prescribing is not the greatest thing in the world, and a lot of people do it, but so they were really trying to, you know, minimize that. And then all of a sudden, I remember that first client who came in and said, oh, my doctor has me on this new, this brand new drug. It's called ozempic. I was like, okay. Commercials hadn't come out yet, and I was like, huh, sounds a little familiar. I remember reading about it through medscaper somewhere and huh, okay, where I think I know what this is all about. And he said, it's the most amazing miracle thing I've ever experienced. I've lost ten pounds. I've been on it only about a month and a half. I've been I've been losing steady said. I walked by food. I'm not interested. I've never been able to do that before. He said, it's it's a miracle. And he was not obese. He was just a heavy set guy, you know, as a lot of people get heavier as the age and so so that was the very first time. And I remember hearing about that thinking, huh, I didn't remember your A one c's being all that high that you would be prescribed this. Now he's he's got a little bit of money, so he just decided to do it on his own and it worked for him. And that's within I want to say days, but I'm sure it was weeks. Suddenly commercials are on TV. Everyone's talking about it, you know, you hear all these influencers getting it on the black market and all sorts of stuff. So yeah, it's it's it's really come a long way in the last three years.
Speaker 2: It has.
Speaker 3: And one of the things I've been reading up a lot on it in preparation for this podcast this week, and it's there's a couple things. One is the key thing it seems to talk about, and this seems to have as much of a brain component as anything else, is the lack of you know, a lot of people call it food mine or just a brain that is constantly obsessed with what have I eaten? What am I going to eat that looks good? Like always scanning the environment for what's the next meal? It says a lot of a lot of people say it just it just quiets that down. And so a lot of people say, like food noise or food chatter really has been their their best, their their most positive experience of it, on the one hand, keeps.
Speaker 2: Them keep.
Speaker 1: But as a side effect of that, I don't know if you've heard of this, but that's called ozampic personality, which is anedonia. I believe that's how you pronounce it, which is just a loss of interest in everything, not manly food, but just a flatness, a loss of interest in things that they were passionate about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just reading about that and also hearing about the challenge of people who are on antidepressants.
Speaker 2: And then go on it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Antidepressants in general, for most people tend to kind of get rid of the highs and the lows for people right again, they make them a little more in the mid line in terms of emotional range. And then not just anecdotally, but but some studies have said that if you do that plus jop ones.
Speaker 2: That gets worse.
Speaker 3: That it's almost like which was you know, five to two now goes down to four to three or something like that. So that was interesting too, that that's that's certainly it. And then I think it's also i mean many other side effects too. Some people just can't tolerate it. It just makes them feel terrible. Some people end up malnourished because they just can't eat enough. I mean, there's you know, there are certainly some negative side effects to this.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of that probably goes back to when it was first being touted and a lot of people were going into their doctors and sort of demanding it. And then when it did come out for weight loss, they didn't have to qualify. They just had to be a certain over a certain BMI and depending on if they had money or if they had good insurance whatnot, maybe it would be covered, maybe it wouldn't. But I don't think the doctors knew what they were doing at the time because it's such a new drug that it's hard to keep up with it, and it was hard to keep up with the studies because it takes years and years of research before studies are not only you know, completed, but written published and go through all of that. So I think there were so many people just sort of saying, oh, okay, you qualified, sure, here you go, without knowing what you really need to do to help these clients in the end and maybe adjust the dosage or change this or change that, and how to get more nutrients into them. I got to tell you, because of my background, I have helped clients more than their physicians have with things like making sure they're getting enough nutrients because I can talk to them because of my background. I was like, Okay, maybe you need to be thinking about vitamin vitaminineral supplement. That's more for like a bariatric person because you're no longer going to be eating as much. You're going to be eating a lot less and you're probably not going to be having enough of certain things, including iron and you know, bringing things like that up. Telling them eat your protein first, I said, oh, I have a salad first, I said, and what do you have after your salad? Oh? I can't eat anything? Go And they oh, like, okay, you got to reverse this. Now you got to really think about protein first.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: You got to get your nutrient dense food in first, and then kind of like you know, your toppings on a Sunday. You can sprinkle other things on top of, you know, the meal, but you got to get the nutrient dense things in first. And that's I think was missing from a lot of physicians because that wasn't their specialty. Nutrition is new, dietitians new, but I think a lot of physicians were just unaware at that time. I think they're a lot more aware today than they were three years ago, for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, although having talked to a number of friends who've been going on it recently, their doctors have not said a thing about nutrition to them, zero dot abubbles, you know, and.
Speaker 2: They've really had to. And the good news is there is some good information out.
Speaker 3: There now in terms of meal plans and that kind of thing, and just how do you figure out how to get your nutrients in in a smaller quantity than you might be used to. But you got to pay attention, right because you can't just go and say, oh, I'm going to have my two bites of pizza and my you know, my half a burger or whatever it is it used to eat, because that's not really going to get you what you need.
Speaker 1: No, No, you're not going to get what you need nutritionally at all doing something like that. And I've had some clients say, oh, you know, I had lunch and then I realized I didn't need anything until the next day, right, say, okay, what did you have for lunch? A salad? Said all right, so for last nearly twenty four hours, no wonder they're fatigued during the workouts. First of all, if I see them first thing in the morning, but I say, how's your energy, I'm dragon, it's okay. Well, probably need to talk about some nutritional things here, and that's not my area of expertise, but I have a background in it. Something I found fascinating. I've talked to many physicians. Do you know the number of nutrition courses they take in collegen med school? Most of them for the ones I talked to one and then when they're undergraduate.
Speaker 2: A lot of it a lot of times zero. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So if it's not covered there, they may understand everything that's going on physiologically, but nutritionally you really need to have that. I like to say, you need to have that card in your pocket, and if not as a physician. I was talking with a surgeon friend yesterday. And his practice actually has nutritionists as well as psychological people to to so and he specializes in uh, weight loss, bariatric all of that. So for him it makes sense. Okay, here are these nutrition people, and he's the first to say, you know what, talk to them. They know more about it than I do. I'm good at what I do. And when you hear that, it's like, oh, I appreciate that. At least, it's like, good, don't pretend you know everything, because none of us do.
Speaker 3: I'm also thinking, you know, a lot of the people that do this have had various kinds of disordered eating for years. Anyway, when all my friends who are void, it's like they do they go on their diets, they calorie count, they've tried all kinds of different things, many of them. That is why they're not building ones, because nothing is really worked in terms of just food control.
Speaker 2: So a lot of times they have, like I would say, a skewed view of what's healthier not healthy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, what's like nutrient because oftentimes the nutrient dense foods are all.
Speaker 1: Too calorie dense foods, no joke.
Speaker 3: Right, So it's kind of like like so they've sort of trained themselves, like wanting a salad instead of a ham sandwich or whatever. They've trained themselves and want something that maybe is not what they need now with the current medications that they're on and the current nutritional status that they're in and the fact that they're eating half as much food as they used to. So I think those are all complex pieces of that puzzle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no question this is a complex situation, and I think you need a team. You need a team who understands what your body's going through. So the physician understands physiologically what's happening and can monitor that, can monitor your blood work, can monitor all of that to make sure that you're not missing out on any specific nutrients. Because I do know that certain things when people are on gop ones, like vitamin A drops on a lot of people, Vitamin D drops on a lot of these people, yep, And when those drop, we can see issues. So there are certain things that kind of need buffering iron because let's face it, I talk to a lot of people and they say, Oh, I just don't like protein, I don't need proteins.
Speaker 2: I don't like your feels too heavy, it's too hard.
Speaker 1: To digest Yeah, and I'm thinking, but without it, where is your iron coming from? Where are you getting your minerals? Where are you getting that side of things? And so it's important that they understand that you need to take more than that, that you need to do that and getting your blood work done on a regular basis is a highly, highly advantageous thing. I can't recommend it enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I would say for you know, those of us in our professions where we're ancillary or auxiliary to the medical community, if you know a client is on days, just suggest that to them, say hey, why don't you talk to a new gestenist.
Speaker 2: Why don't you make sure you've got your nutrition covered for this.
Speaker 3: Because again, physicians often don't talk about that, or they maybe not be going they maybe go through some telehealth thing to get it too right, so they may be getting really.
Speaker 2: No information at all.
Speaker 3: And just su is really important. The thing too, and you mentioned it a little bit earlier, is because of the decreasing calories and sometimes the lack of nutrition that they're getting that fatigue. I've had a number of instructors say they can tell a client is on jail once, even if they don't tell them, And sometimes clients don't tell you or they lie about it.
Speaker 2: That's happening too.
Speaker 3: Because they suddenly like can't do the reps they used to be able to do of something simple like footwork.
Speaker 2: But a lot of clients, you know.
Speaker 3: Somebody comes in a lot and in structors say, a client comes in and suddenly they're just not as strong as they were, you know, a month and a half ago, and there's nothing else going on. It's been no injury anything else. And it's like they'll say, are you a JLP ones may any chance and they'll say, oh, yeah, you know, I've been on it for three months or something like that. And those are just things to be aware of. And you know, some weight loss. A lot of times people don't want to tell you they're on GLP ones.
Speaker 1: They want it to be Yep.
Speaker 2: There's all the weird stigmas about weight loss. But I think it's really important for you to know as a movement educator that they are or they aren't.
Speaker 1: It's vitally important. A number of the ones that I have talked to, fortunately their physicians after about it the first year they've lost a lot of weight. Well, some of these doctors have invested in. Whether they're accurate or not, I can't say. But we're talking about you know, body fat, you know machines, okay, bioelectrical impedance. Primarily the ones just stand on and you just hold. If you're not fasted, if you're not without water for eight to twelve hours beforehand, it's really not the most accurate for numbers. As long as you're consistent and consistently doing around the same time of day and everything, maybe those the numbers are fairly okay for you, and maybe you don't need to do it that scientifically. I come from a scientific background, so for me, I want to be as close to that as possible. But the doctors will invest in these things in fact, and then they'll say, oh wow, oh you you've lost a lot of muscle. Oh you, It's like okay. And then they come into me and think, but I'm worth lifting weights, and they almost want to blame me, and I say, wait a minute, Okay, you've lost weight. Anytime you lose weight, you're going to lose both that water and lean tissue. Everybody does. You talk about the biggest bodybuilders in the world, and they're on performance enhancing this and that, and guess what, they still lose that lean but muscle you know when they strip down when they try and lose weight. So it's not it's not an unheard of thing that that's going to happen to you. No, that's the thing about it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it's something really to think about. And one of the things I've been talking to a lot of my instructures about is many of the clients in the Ploty studio, not all of them, but a lot of them, especially during privates and things, are when in their fortes.
Speaker 2: Fifty sixty, seventies, eighties, right.
Speaker 3: Sort of like older women, and many of them are either in perimountopause or postmanopositi menopause. And this is a time when cyclopedia is happening anyway, right, Once you lose estrogen, cyclopedia which loss of muscle mass goes up, and then you've got that and a lot of times, like there's a number of people in them that stake who are also.
Speaker 2: Then taking these GLP ones. And the concern for me there is several fold. The one, you're already.
Speaker 3: Losing muscle mass because you're loss of estrogen there and this other thing, and you're patentrus for us tooporosis, you lose the muscle mass for that as well.
Speaker 2: Like for me.
Speaker 3: It just says if you're you know, a woman of a certain age, exercise in any case is essential as we know, but it's certainly if you're going to do GLP ones, you have got to maintain your exercise regime and probably increase it.
Speaker 1: Slightly increase it is what I keep hearing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just to keep whatever muscle mass you've got going, and to keep it up while you're losing the weight so that you don't lose so much of the muscle mass. You're always going to lose some, but just trying to minimize that as best you can, because that.
Speaker 2: Is a critical time.
Speaker 3: If a woman in who are like fifties or sixties suddenly decides to lose fifty pounds and loses a good chunk of her muscle mass at the same time, that may really lead to an increase in falls, and an increase in us to process, and an increase in all kinds of other issues that are potential life threatening over time. So that's the particular population that I think about. A lot of this is just be really careful in those of you who are a lot of teachers, make sure they're working out, Encourage them to come a little more often, and really for you work on increasing the reps or increasing the resistance or whatever you need to do to just keep that muscle mass building, you know, or have them add a little weight training once a week, something like that.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I was looking up this week and preparation for this. I this is one thing that I follow a lot because I have a lot of clients on it. Yeah, so it's something that I'm constantly sort of looking up the research on and making sure that I'm up to date on everything that's coming out. So I'm always looking at pros versus cons. There's a lot of pros, and what we're seeing is a lot of things that are being touted in everything from New York Times, Wall Street Journal, La Time, you know, all of these major news news sources and they're on TV and things. A lot of the positive side effects, like the one that was just released a couple of days ago saying that it showed lower cancer rates among GOLP one takers breast cancer survive, you know, surviving is there's there's a lot going on with cancer and golp one, so it does have a pro sleep apnea helping with that. Yep, there's a lot of things cardiovascular issues. There's a lot of pros with this, and I think there's a lot of people who are trying to jump on the bandwagon, especially the drug companies that want to tout this information because the more that they do that, the more they're going to sell. So they do have a steak at this maestate, major steak. And I look at it and I think, okay, well, let's see this. If you're taking the drug, you're probably going to have a much better insulin to glucagon response in your body. You're going to have less inflammatory issues in your body. Those things right there can lead to a lot of these positive outcomes. So guess what. It's almost as though you could foresee some of this and say, yeah, it does make sense that these may be the reasons. Because people are losing weight because their hormones are now balanced in a way that they weren't before. When they're talking insulin, those rates are coming down, you're not seeing as much of the glucose intolerance as you were before or because of this, and guess what, with all of that inflammation decreases. Inflammation decreases, we start to live healthier lives. Our bodies don't have that same amount of fight or flight on a constant basis.
Speaker 3: All kinds of chronic illnesses are based on chronic inflammation, right, I love kind of cardiovascular disease. Diabetes causes and is caused by it, and many other things. You just think about joint pain and arthritis and all the other kind of things that we deal with all the time as moon professionals, and there does seem to be some risk and just to say there that when they do these are still somewhat preliminary studies, so I don't know, there's a lot of money being poured into positive studies. So I also like, I think those are just two caveats for this, but they're showing, you know, a decrease risk of cardiovascular illness for example, which goes with weight loss also, but it is above and beyond.
Speaker 2: What they usually see just for the weight loss, right, So.
Speaker 3: Right, a lot of things that they're seeing that are, yeah, they're related to weight loss to some extent, but these are better results and they get with just weight loss. And I think a lot of that is the anti inflammation thing. And one of the most thing that I think is interesting is that loss of food brain, right, that loss of like where's my next meal coming from? And what am I thinking about also relates oftentimes to different addictions.
Speaker 2: And I started to see this for you know, drug addiction and smoking and.
Speaker 3: Other kinds of things. So that's also interesting that it seems to regulate the brain in a way to not have that same kind of obsessive drive to get the dopamine response basically, right, to get that little hit that comes from getting your pleasure sensors stimulated by whatever your particular drug or food of choices.
Speaker 2: So that's also true.
Speaker 1: There have been some other weight loss drugs in the past that focused primarily on, you know, that part of your brain, the food addiction part of your brain. It wasn't just a hunger cessation. It was actually going in and one of them actually they found, oh, well, this drug we were focusing on for smoking cessation, but ooh, we're seeing weight loss, huh, And so it became a weight loss drug. And there's that happens with a lot of drugs that are out there, but this seems to go to that next level and affects it in a way that is superior to everything else in that sense. And I don't know how it's rewiring it or if it's just taking the thing that I And I mentioned this to some clients who are on it. I said, Okay, you got to be honest with me now, and I'm not asking for any personal details, but have you found some of the passions that you used to have some of the pleasures are you? Are you getting the same amount of pleasure out of things that you used to because I'm curious about that because if it is rewiring your brain and you're not getting that major dopamine hit in a way that or a serotonin hit or whatever it is that you were getting from food or alcohol or you know whatever other you know, let's face it, if you have a food addiction, chances are you may have a highly addictive personality. And if that's the case, there may be other things that you know, give the person pleasure that they're addicted to, in which case, and a number of them said, I haven't thought about that, but yeah, I haven't been doing such and such. I haven't been doing such and such as you know, I'm thinking, Okay, it's just something to sort of note. And I was reading an article and the person actually was saying, oh, you know, they changed my dose and suddenly I started getting those pleasures back. They just reduced it a little bit. It wasn't as high of a dose. But if you don't know to ask, and you don't realize that that's a side effect, right, you may not even no doubt that that can be changed. So that's something to keep in mind to talk to your clients about. Is if you notice their personalities be flat and they're no longer doing things that are fun or finding joy in their children, or finding joy and whatever it is, canasta, whatever I mean, majong, whatever makes you happy, if you're no longer doing it and you're just and you could see them sort of coasting through life, maybe that's something to make mention to them of, Hey, you know, if you're not seeing as much pleasure, maybe you've lost a lot of weight, Maybe you don't need as much of you know, the current dose that you're on. Maybe talk to your doctor. Obviously we're not physicians, but maybe that's something that might be able to be adjusted.
Speaker 2: I think that's really Again, I hadn't heard about that.
Speaker 3: That's except this one little anecdote that I heard about people who were on antidepressants in that that it just kind of bulled them out for there. So that's that's really good to know, really good to be aware of because you know, with clients, for better and worse, we're often the person they're seeing in a or who's paying attention to them I should say in a close way regularly, you know, spouse, maybe not, their kids, maybe not. There were colleagues, maybe not, but we're kind of staring at them and really paying attention for that hour or.
Speaker 2: Two week they were with them.
Speaker 3: And that's oftentimes we will notice things that other people won't necessarily notice because.
Speaker 2: You know, our job is to notice things, to pay attention. So that's really interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm past a few of my instructors that I've been talking to.
Speaker 2: About this lately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just something to keep in mind that we've been seeing. And again that goes into the con list. There are so many pros and again we're going to hear mostly about the pros. You do sometimes hear about the cons And I hate to say it, but it's usually when a celebrity goes on it and someday they have a bad side effect and they go out touting how it's the worst thing in the world, or and they they will say this was my reaction to it. I've been on many things in my life, many you know, pharmaceuticals have been prescribed to me over my course of my life. Some worked, some didn't, some have side effects, some don't. I think we're all out in that way. And I hate to say it's unfair, because some people really need this drug in order to you know, live, They're going to need to lose the weight because there are so many negative effects of holding on to several hundred pounds. I remember working at the National Center for Weight and Wellness. I had people in their six hundred pounders, six hundred and fifty. For them, this is a miracle. This is something that can really be life changing, literally, life saving, genuinely, and if it's not working, you kind of feel bad for them. And a lot of weight loss drugs they were saying, hey, that's about a sixty seventy percent you know, success rate. That's still a high number of people that it doesn't work on. Now there's different types out there now, their injections, there's GOP one job two. There there's all these different, you know, concoctions, so hopefully you can find one that does work if that's what you need. But at the same time, it's something that's hurting you or causing you to have some side effects, talk to your doctor, you know, or if you see the client starting to change personality, you know, maybe mention and just you don't have to say you're not yourself. You don't have to come at him like that, but you can just say, you know, how's things being. You know, see if they can recognize that maybe they haven't had the same amount of pleasure in life. Maybe I also.
Speaker 3: Want to mention because one of the things they say about this is that if people go off it, they often gain the weight back, gain a good way back, and their food brain comes back and kind of everything just returns to the pre state like the pre And I certainly know, I mean, based on just cost availability of people's reactions to things, we're going to start having clients if we don't already, who have gone on them, lost a bunch of weight and are.
Speaker 2: Now going off of them.
Speaker 3: And the other thing that I that I really want to think about is that transition time, because for a whole lot of clients, you're hoping that they.
Speaker 2: Take that time when they're on them to get healthier.
Speaker 3: Habits, both in terms of movement and in terms of nutrition and stress control or whatever other things they need to do, and that then you know, once they go off them, they have gained some skills that can then take them.
Speaker 2: Forward into you know, better wa of eating.
Speaker 3: Now, saying that doesn't mean that that's true for everybody, because a lot of people were eating very well beforehand and they just got a genetics that's like I eat, I gave weight period in the story.
Speaker 2: That certainly happens.
Speaker 3: I've seen it a lot, but still to just see about like, okay, well maybe I can maybe I can maintain some of these.
Speaker 2: Same habits when I'm gone, you know, when this is over, when I'm done with this particular drug.
Speaker 3: The other thing too, and you know, your good person to speak to about this is that kind of rapid weight loss is also challenging on things like balance, things like like how do I how do I move? You know it just because because I mean I haven't talked to that many people about that particular problem, and I think about, like my pregnant ladies, you know who gain two pounds in nine months, right, it's only twenty or thirty nine months, And it's like every day it feels like their balance is a new it's a whole new day today because you know, the baby's.
Speaker 2: Shifted, or they start to gain some weight, or they you know whatever. Have you seen that too, There's just yeah, balance challenges, coordination challenges.
Speaker 1: No question, I'm thinking of one right now. She lost a lot. I'd say she's lost I want to say at least sixty probably closer to seventy five pounds.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And she's not young, Okay, she's in her seventies. The doctor put her on one of the first pill versions. It helped. It's not one of the ones that are touted about now. It's an older one, but it's it definitely worked, and it was a gop one type. It worked. She lost a lot of weight really quickly. She's had a number of falls since, and a lot of it does come from the fact that you do change where your center of gravity is. We all sort of assume that our center of gravity it's where it is. But if you're talking about someone who's distended, especially in the middle, you know, either stomach, breast, back, whatever that is, especially in the middle, and suddenly that goes down a lot, especially the stomach. Suddenly things are going to change. And what people also don't realize is that depending on how long you've been overweight. Okay, I spent most of my life being very, very large and my bones conformed to it. We've talked about that before. Well, guess what when I lost a lot of weight. My spine is basically I sort of joke and say I'm a spine of saurus because my spine literally I can't sit on anything with a hard back because my spine is literally at my skin level. My spine is processes and it hurts to sit on things like that. Lying on my side, my greater trocanter. There's not much meat there anymore, that's you know, And so I lie on a mat that's on the ground, and the mat used to be comfortable, and I'm thinking, geez, this hurts. No wonder my clients that we're asking for two mats and things. I'm like, oh man, yeah, they're very thin clients. Yeah, that's expesting that you don't think about. Well, also, something that we don't think about a lot of times. Is that can also be a source of stability within certain joints. Yes, absolutely, And now you no longer have that amount of adipost tissues sort of making up the space around that holding it together like a tight ace bandage. Well, that can lead to some instability. And I'm gonna say, look, losing fifty pounds, your knees are gonna thank you for, no question about it. But could they be a little unstable in certain regards? Possibly, not saying yes, but possibly. I have another client that I'm thinking of that hers became much more unstable after losing about thirty pounds. She said they felt better for a while, and then suddenly it's like they just don't feel like they're under me all the time. So these are other things. Now, this is anecdotal, This is things that I've heard from clients, But from a physiologic standpoint and also from my own experience, I can tell you that that does change how your body feels in space, the amount of stability that it has, and the amount of joint support that you're going to feel.
Speaker 2: I think that's again just another piece for us to think about here with these clients, especially if the weight loss is pretty rapid. Sometimes it is pretty rapid.
Speaker 3: One other little thing I'm going to throw out here is at this point, if I have any client with.
Speaker 2: Rapid weight loss, I'm going to sooner and gp ones.
Speaker 3: But you have to ask them because there are the cancers, there's other nasty things that show up with sudden weight loss, and just you just want to make sure that it is a medication and it's not coming from some other source.
Speaker 1: So anyway, No, No, that's that's huge. That's very important because that's there. That's critical to note because there I have had clients who have lost a lot of weight all of a sudden, and this was before gop ones, and that's the first thing you started asking, are you seeing your doctor? They say, but I'm looking so good, Yes you are. However, I just want to make sure. And probably fifty percent of the time they were glad they went in because things were caught. Sometimes it was just oh, I made changes in my lifestyle. You know, I got divorced, I'm dating this new guy, you know, all that kind of stuff. It's like, okay, divorce that it works too. You know, your life is changing. Stresses change, hormones change, I get it. But the good question to ask, very good question to ask. I wanted to bring up something that I was hoping was going to change for gop ones, and that's cost. Something that always floats in my mind is are gop ones sort of a rich people drug?
Speaker 2: Well, they are, unless unless your number is a pretty darn dad.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's you know, and you know what, I just read a report from that. I guess talk to a number of we're talking health insurance companies and talk to a lot of them, and they are reluctant if not, you know, they're not going to cover gop ones no matter how what your numbers are, unless, like you said, if they need it for diabetes, and they are just absolutely it's not covered no matter how good a coverage you have your pharmacy. You know, prescription benefits aren't going to cover this. And it's because they say it's cost them too much and they're not willing to do it. And the ones that say we are on those who absolutely need it for weight loss, Absolutely it's sort of a okay, here's a cap three thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 2: Okay, which does cost so much? Three months or something.
Speaker 3: Four months, depending another prices when I looked into it, but basically very wildly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a couple of months worthy. Yeah, and what you're still seeing is drugs coming in from Mexico. You're seeing you know, China, You're seeing a lot of things coming in that we don't know what it's actually in these drugs. We have no clue.
Speaker 3: This is really something where I would be super cautious to make sure I get a name brand something at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean think that the market is so clearly giant that that people see that market and go, oh, I'm going to just throw a bunch of stuff in a pill and start calling it whatever.
Speaker 2: I more the temptations there.
Speaker 3: The temptation has always been there in any drug that has a big market, whether it's illegal or legal.
Speaker 2: And this is just one of those situations where just be careful.
Speaker 1: I was watching a documentary and I was talking about drugs coming in from Mexican pharmacies. Yeah, and the cartels actually supply the drugs to these pharmacies oftentimes, so you're getting what you think is testosterone, or you think is growth hormone, or you think is tramanol or oxycotal, whatever you think it is, but do you know it is? You have no idea. They can box it up and make it look the exact same we've all got. I certainly have gotten off of Amazon and the Internet, and I'm looking at it going it looks similar, but I can tell it's fake. And if someone's desperate and they're getting it from some other source and they're trying it, we're seeing some you know, we can see some negative side effects, some major negative side effects because you don't know what quality controls are going into that, if any quality controls at all, So you just have to be really wary of that. I personally am wary of all of these new companies that are coming out, like Row and Hymns and Hers and all of these companies that are getting let's face it, Serena Williams, she has brought a lot of people into get into hers. I believe her. Hers is the one that she exactly like all.
Speaker 3: That stuff that's unregulated, All the whole supplement market, all of that is so highly regulated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really, and golp ones they're regulated to some degree. I think there needs to be more regulation. I'm not someone who believes in a ton of regulation, but when it comes to our health, I think there needs to be some regulation, especially when it comes to pharmaceutical things, because the gop ones, the compounded ones that we saw such the rage for so many years because you couldn't get the good, the real stuff. Now these are sort of borderline. Are they okay? Are they not? Could they be?
Speaker 3: Are?
Speaker 1: How are the how is the licensing involvement? And I think it's going to become more gray and more gray and more gray as time goes on. And anytime I hear someone saying, oh, yeah, I called up the you know, I went on the internet and answered these questions and suddenly I could I could order it. Really, you asked questions. You didn't have a blood test? No, you didn't do it. Okay, this it seems sketchy to me. Let's just say that it seems at the sketchy to me. And I think it's only gonna get.
Speaker 3: Worse when whenever there is an again, whenever there's a gigantic apparent profit margin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, this opportunity is huge.
Speaker 3: You know, something like ten percent of the population is currently on one of these now or eat or a ten percent dependent that you talk to. That's a lot of people, and that will only increase, I think as accessibility increases, as the price goes down, as different forms of I mean all those things, you're just going to make it much more popular and much more again a bigger market, and whenever there's that big of a profit profit margin available, people are going to do nefarious things. So yeah, definitely be really cautious with that because that whole the whole supplement market, all of that stuff is just is it's a wild West. It's not well regulated, nobody's paying attention, and people just out for the money.
Speaker 2: So just be cautious for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And going into the whole cost thing. When I said is it a rich people drug, is when people don't have the money but they're desperate, they're going to make those poor choices. But at the same time, let's say they do make some poor choices and they are on something. I still think we need to solve the problem of stigma because they may not want to tell their doctor that they're taking it. They may not want to tell their family they're taking it because you don't want to be looked at as you're cheating, right, you know, or you're weak your weak willed, you couldn't do this on your own, because that is still the stigma among a lot of people, and they hear that, and I think it's gotten a little better, But I also know when I say that, I'm coming from a certain ethnicity, a certain area Washington, d C. Where a lot of my clients can afford to do this sort of thing. There's a lot of cultures within our country that may have a much different viewpoint when it comes to something like this, like gop ones or taking anything. They don't want to tell their family, they don't want to tell their friends, they don't want to tell anybody. And if you're getting sick on something and you're not not willing to speak up, that can be really detrimental to your health.
Speaker 3: Well, if you're talking about it just in terms of the economic barrier, obesity definitely goes up with a lower socioeconomic income. It just does relationship between levels of obesity and income, like that's just how that goes. The richer you are, off of the skinner you are, whatever all that means. And there's a lot of complexities with all of that. But so that also means that the people, many of the people that probably this the most don't have access to it, which is yeah, in America, this is kind of typical in our medical system at the moment, So some people we are out there. The thing two that that I think about is how you know, again getting back to kind of our role in all of this, is thinking about really encouraging clients to be honest with us, be.
Speaker 2: Honest with their with their doctors, with their families. And that's something that we can certainly do. And I think even just you know, not not that we are doctors, but we can often steer people in a better direction, you know, to.
Speaker 3: Your point about avoiding things that they're getting in some mysterious way, you know.
Speaker 2: Some nefarious fashion.
Speaker 3: Uh So just just I think sometimes our role here is just being kind of a sounding board or maybe a source of common sense for some clients who may be doing things that are not necessarily the best.
Speaker 2: Things for them.
Speaker 1: So also an empathetic year, yeah, yeah, because I'm trying as much as I can to have a no judgment zone because they will tell me things. They tell me things they won't tell their spouse. They tell me things that they are hesitant to tell their doctor until I tell them, oh no, no, no, no, no, no, you gotta say this. This is important. Yeah, and I don't judge. To me, it's like, okay, I've sent some clients to rehab because they've told me things, and I'm like, okay, you're we're going to need to talk about this, and when you're ready, we're gon we're gonna deal with this. So if they feel safe around us, they're much more likely to confide in us. And if you're seeing their bodies change, obviously they're going to feel good about themselves. And yes, I've lost some weight and they're going to be very happy about it. But maybe not that session. You may not want to poke, you know, point the finger and say are you taking gop ones? But maybe down the road, just say any new medications you're on. Just I go through with all my clients. I literally made a point with my primary care position. They set me a thing saying, oh, out our next appointment, let's go over you know all the medications. I'm like, man, that's a long list. I haven't taken any of those for four or five years. Okay, I'm glad you're looking and I appreciate. So I will tell my clients the same thing. I'll just say, you know what, I just want to update my files, but I need to know because it can affect what we're doing. And sometimes that's when I've heard, oh yeah, a couple couple of months ago, I started taking such and such okay cool, and that I will usually ask doctor, are you seeing a doctor? You're seeing a nutrition so are you seeing whoever they need to be seeing? Awesome, just write it down for us to note, no judgment, just okay cool. A lot of times I'll actually say, oh, I've got a number of people doing that, and then they're like it makes them feel like, oh, okay, it's it's all right. Yeah, yeah, I just need to.
Speaker 2: Know one other things.
Speaker 3: And we mentioned this a little bit with our educutor versus influencer conversations, so it kind of comes back. Is one of the things that is interesting at this particular time is that there was a movement before this not too long ago really of just you know, greater acceptance for different body sizes.
Speaker 2: Right that that kind of life than one way to go with was just kind of like blown up.
Speaker 3: And you see bigger size models and you see people, you know, just just being a little.
Speaker 2: Bit less like you have to be a size for or you're a bad.
Speaker 3: Person, because there's all the stuff that comes with weight that is not health related, that's vanity related, that's culture related, that's all that stuff. And this is just an interesting thing to throw into that mix because now instead of like it being accepted, now it's like, oh, well, you know, why aren't you on the latest thing that will help all this problem for you? You know, again, putting it back into weight is a problem. And you know, yes, it certainly can be. And I'm not saying is it.
Speaker 2: Not, but but it's it also makes that stigma. I just think it'll be interesting what it does to that whole kind of fat stigma, which is culture is so steep.
Speaker 1: There's there's been a lot written about that, and there's been a lot of negative comments to people who touted for many years about being beautiful in your own skin. Yeah the person, yeah, Megan Trainor, she all about that base and she had a very curby body, very attractive woman, incredible voice, and she went on gop ones. She says she's never felt better, she feels she looks great, she's happy. But the amount of hate that she got, yeah, you know, from the nedicines out there, just was sort of out outrageous to me because I'm thinking, wait a minute, here's someone who's taking better care of themselves, and you know, maybe this is a reason that they are losing the weight. Fantastic. If this helps, good for them, awesome, But for them to be shamed about it, that's really an issue. And we are seeing.
Speaker 3: Complicated man, I know all these things. It really gets a complicated social moment.
Speaker 1: So moment, well, I was just reading an article. I was talking about Serena Williams going on gop ones, saying does Serena now admitting that she was on gop ones now changed the view of the black body in our culture because there was a different viewpoint by a lot of people that this is me. I love my body, I love who I am. But now having some role models. Shaquille O'Neal started taking golp ones. He did it for a sleep apnea, he said, and it's helped him immensely. And so we're seeing that in the athletic community, at least at least the retired athletic community. They're starting to take it. So maybe other cultures are now going to start seeing, oh this is okay, I can I should be able to do this. I can do this. So I do think that that's going to change. And in the next year, two, three, four years, I think we're going to see a lot of changes with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it'll be fascinating. You know.
Speaker 3: My hope, of course, is that people will just like eat better and not be stupid, because I have a lot of people that I know that are you know, again, they just have half.
Speaker 2: A slice of pizza and cheeseburger for dinner.
Speaker 3: And and you know, than between while they're on GLP ones, and then you know, it's not like they've really taken the opportunity to change their their diet or their or their exercise or anything else like their actual lifestyle things. And yes, it's I'm potentially happier for a bit, but you've got to be.
Speaker 2: Careful with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would like to say my dream for all of this, yeah, is for anybody who's considering going on gop ones, when you're talking to your physician, think of it as a team effort. Think of it as if someone's going to go under chemotherapy, for instance, or it's going to go under some other type of treatment. There's okay, you're going to start at this, We're going to do this, We're going to do that. Then we're going to bring you off of this, and in the meantime you're going to see these people in between. I think we need to have that more holistic approach to this, because you can say, great, you're gonna start gop one, it's fantastic. Okay, we're going to start you on a microdose, the smallest dose we can, subclinical in fact, and then you're going to see the nutritionist, and then we're going to see how that works. And as soon as things aren't working, we're going to adjust this. We're going to adjust that. The nutritionists you have to see every two weeks, every month, whatever it is, and make sure you're eating healthy, fantastic. Now you've lost some weight, are you seeing are you going to the gym? What's your exercise regime? Do you need a train or do you need this? Do you need that? And then what is the aftercare? What is the Okay, you've lost fifty five pounds, I think it's time to reduce your dose. You don't need twenty miligrams, maybe you need five, and in the end, maybe we'll step it down until we find that point where you start to oh, I'm getting hungrier now, Okay, maybe we went too low. We can bump that back up and make those adjustments. I think seeing it as a more holistic approach and more of a team approach, I think can be so much healthier and make people in the end healthier, happier, and it gives them sort of an understanding instead of well, I'm going to be on this the rest of my life. Maybe not, maybe, but maybe not.
Speaker 2: I think that's a great vision, Brian, that's a great, great place to end. So I mean, and I think we're just part of that team.
Speaker 3: And I think the more we can encourage people to take advantage or to create their own teams and this is really it's.
Speaker 2: Going to help them, it's going to help us. It's going to help them go through this journey with more success.
Speaker 1: And for our movement professionals out there, don't minimize the amount of I hate to use the term, I'm going to say influence, not power. The influence that we have with our clients. Yeah, if you mentioned to them, I really think it would be healthy for you to see a nutritionist and then you hand them the card and then make mention. You know two three weeks later, have you have you talked to them or a week later, whatever it is. Just see, I think it would be the very, very beneficial for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just just one, just one meeting. Just talk to them, get some ideas, make.
Speaker 1: Sure you're on the right track. Yeah, yeah, I you know, we have a lot of influence, and I think in that sense it's really important for us to utilize it in the best way we can. And if we need to talk to their physicians, we can talk to their physicians. But I think putting them toward that right track, I think is part of our job and I think we can do better.
Speaker 2: Absolutely all right, so.
Speaker 1: Very good and exactly exactly. I think we we covered a lot. Hopefully we touched on some things and if you missed one of our other ones, we covered a little bit of what we've covered in the past, but we also talked about a lot of the updates and things like that. Because things are changing, and they're changing rapidly, and two weeks after this post something may come out in the news and make all of it irrelevant. We never know. This is science and it happens often happens very slowly, but occasionally it happens very quickly, but please do us a favor. Hit that like and subscribe button. I can't say it enough. It really helps all of us out. That way we can continue to do this. We're we don't have commercials. We're doing this for the love of it. We get together and talk shop and hopefully help you guys out every week. So if you would like and subscribe and comment and share and do all of those things, we really appreciate it. Check out the YouTube channel's under my name Brian Ritchie where you can see us live talking and yeah let me mention. Also our Gmail hit us up there, Moving combos at gmail dot com. So until next week, Saint John, I'm Brian Ritchie. We'll see you then.
Speaker 2: Hi, guys,