Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of June sixteenth, we're continuing with Duster, episode four. And now I'm for us to say the name of this episode.
Speaker 1: I am so happy you do the names of these episodes and up me when I saw that title, He's like, yes, further instructions.
Speaker 2: So this episode of Duster was called Crime Unalyis Velocitis SUPERSONICUSS. It was a play on road Runner cartoons, Yes, which Jim was watching and seemed to inspire him in some way as to how he could get away from the guy who is chasing him, whose name is Enrique the Blade. I think.
Speaker 1: I think so because it was a cartoon cartoonishly villainous, yes, shooting blades out of his cuffs.
Speaker 2: Yes. So this, this whole plot had to do with the fallout from Jim having said that he would work for this Mexican boss.
Speaker 3: Oh then he.
Speaker 2: You know, he got recruited by Nina instead, So he sort of just bailed.
Speaker 4: On that guy.
Speaker 1: That's good. I missed that. I couldn't figure out who it was that had it in for him. But yes, he made a deal to work for this Mexican dude. And then he decided because when he wanted to flee town, and then he started to think maybe there was something to it, and so he decided not to flee down And.
Speaker 2: Well, he couldn't flee town because he had signed the agreement to be an informant for Nina right exactly.
Speaker 1: So he was he was going to flee because she wanted that, and then he decided he wanted to do it. So I think she convinced him that there was something or something happened.
Speaker 4: Yes, and can't remember.
Speaker 2: And what the pattern that we're seeing here with Jim is figure something out in the immediate moment and then deal with the consequences later.
Speaker 4: Yes, that was a theme here as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, that that is hism o, and you know it's it's not well, very effective, but but he has managed. You know, he's lived this long for you know, he was getting the blue suede shoes to pay off this person, and then he had to kill that guy and then you know that let blah blah.
Speaker 4: Now he's given away trying to give him away.
Speaker 2: Now he's given away Howard us his car, so he eventually he's gonna have to deal with that problem.
Speaker 1: But yes, I guess that's also his boss's uh you know, rec heart surgery, recovering son getting clocked by a gun.
Speaker 2: Right. I feel like he's gonna be fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hope so he better. Maybe he can think of a story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was quite the cascade of nonsense, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, but it was extremely fun. But yes, when yes, yes, Jim and Enrique are fighting by crashing through a wall. That was like when you first saw the wall. It was in the restroom of this garage in the middle of the desert. It was like see through. I mean, you knew that wall was gonna come crashing down at.
Speaker 4: That wall was there to collapse, there.
Speaker 2: To be busted through by these two as they're fighting. And then they just spy a bottle of what was it bourbon or something, and yeah, it was like, let's put this on paus and have a drink together.
Speaker 4: So that yeah, yeah, I just got.
Speaker 1: To go with it. It was very cartoonish, yes, but enjoyable. And it seems like there should be a code of honor amongst gentlemen that you you do not attack somebody in the men's room. We just finish our business before we do our business. Yes, that's but okay, yeah, it's a moment of vulnerability here that doesn't seem fair.
Speaker 2: This is true.
Speaker 1: This is why parenting tip. Have a parent go into the restroom with your child if at all possible.
Speaker 3: You just never know.
Speaker 4: You don't know what might be going you don't know what might be happening.
Speaker 2: It's going to be in there with knives tucked in their sleeves. Who's going to be in the middle of some sort of a disagreement that you don't want to be anything else.
Speaker 1: What your child is going to touch that you wish they had not, and you will not know to sanitize them after. I guess you just sanitize them anyway, dump a bottle of hand sanitize.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not going to hell that with what was going.
Speaker 1: Down with knife wounds, you know. Yeah, you don't want to like send your kid in there when people are having a knife fight. Wait until they fall through the wall.
Speaker 2: Then you'll be able to see your child from outside the rest.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 1: That's true, dear, Oh, yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: The cartoons at the beginning were fun that that's sort of like Jim is seeing his own story in Roadrunner style, and it really is not that different from the way this show. You know, there's a lot of it's a very has a very cartoonish road runnery kind of vibes. And as long as he is the roadrunner who gets to meat meat and hall ass out of there, then I guess he's okay. If the coyote ever catches up to.
Speaker 4: Him, though, it's gonna be trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Meanwhile, meanwhile, we did get another week of a wan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's still there, Still there. Nice to see you, man.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, is he going to something? And happened to him on the reservation because that's where they go. He's very reluctant, and they.
Speaker 4: Just tried to yank our chain with this that we're gonna worry about him every single week. We know what you're doing. We see it.
Speaker 2: Stop that.
Speaker 4: Stop looking at IMDb. We're gonna stop believing.
Speaker 1: And you're using it because some of the people have Yeah, there's some people who are gonna be on every episode who only have the number of episodes that have been released, and some people have all the episode. Maybe it's contractual. I wonder if that's a contract thing in Hollywood. Now you will put up my client's full number of episodes so everybody knows they're a lead, right, Maybe it's I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like the person who played Adrian Barbo, not Adrian Barbo playing the wife of the Yes FBI, Like the person who played young Adrian Barbo was listed with multiple episodes.
Speaker 1: Like she was on one time, only seen her once. Yeah, yeah, so they're messing with her. Yeah, this will be a plot point at some point.
Speaker 4: The manipulation of imdbah.
Speaker 2: Don't believe everything you read children. The internet doesn't always tell the truth.
Speaker 1: Definitely a parenting tip. Don't parents, don't trust everything you read, and don't let your children trust everything you read, only what you hear.
Speaker 4: On parenting right, we are.
Speaker 1: Completely trust we have all we are not just making it up as we go alone. We know what we're talking about, yeah or something. So anyway, so they get they get a lead to go to the reservation to find something. They figure out that this the guy they talked to at the institution last week killed himself, but she remembers that he said to follow the numbers, and they look at the numbers on the folders or something.
Speaker 2: Like, wait, this isn't lost. What are you talking about the numbers?
Speaker 1: I know we've had enough of the numbers. And they wind up finding a place that's in the middle of the reservation, but Awan doesn't want to go there because, uh, daddy issues something that we hardly ever talk about on this show.
Speaker 4: Do we think it's you know, Oh, I've got an idea. Here's what we could do. Yeah to jj Ebram saying, what is.
Speaker 1: The deal, man, Go do something, get some therapy, make up with your dad.
Speaker 4: If he's no longer with us. Make up with your memories and just move on. How about some mommy issues, you know?
Speaker 2: How about some dog issues? I don't know if you can hear that.
Speaker 4: Vincent would like to speak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so he's got daddy issues.
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 2: Of course someone has to Yeah, well.
Speaker 1: And Nina does too, I guess, sort of revenging my daddy is supposed to you know, everybody's got something, right. So they find a videotape. Yeah, that can't be. Were there videotapes in the seventies.
Speaker 4: Or maybe it was film, Maybe it was like real to real it was it was something buried in the trunk that they can somehow that's been sitting out in the desert for years.
Speaker 1: Yes, and somehow they're able to make it come back, if only, like like the guy from the Lost videos came up and started.
Speaker 2: Once again, another connection between those.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, they really like that. Yes, whole idea.
Speaker 3: And also I have no transition for this, but.
Speaker 2: Okay, in terms of you know, childcare and being a good adult around children, I feel that Jim, knowing that Enrique the Blade was after him, should not be babysitting, should not be hanging out with little acute Luna eating her cereal. Because this guy's coming after you.
Speaker 3: He'll find you.
Speaker 2: Wherever you are, Like, don't that's so true around her, she's completely innocent and adorable. Leave her out beside.
Speaker 1: Later she has to be around later on to bring her mom and her mom's friends beer. How would they get their beer if she wasn't there.
Speaker 2: Yes, and to have her ears covered only for the F word. Every other word is okay for them to say in front of her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, parents, you know what, see if you can arrange a playdate before you have your dangerous meetings about bucking a union guy and you know, taking on the world. And maybe she doesn't have to hear how rough it is for women either. Just just make sent her next door? Is there a nice neighbor?
Speaker 2: Well? This is this is setting her up for her show twenty years from now when she has to avenge her mother. That's true for whatever this creepy dude does to her.
Speaker 1: Because the creepy union guy isn't he the one that Sach set up to kind of be in his pocket, So his chances are she's going against him too, Yes, which is probably going to be a problem with Jim and or for Jim and for her and for Luna who is you know, yes, exactly, So yeah, keep the kid out of the tone as much as you can. Haven't got you know what, that doctor she's dating probably would have taken her out for the day exactly, you know, had a nice playdate. Although is he trustworthy? I don't know, I know, is anybody trust really exactly? Those two young fellos in shirts and ties looked all sorts of wholesome until they started stealing cars.
Speaker 3: Yep, shooting, shooting people.
Speaker 4: Hitting people in the head. So that's going to be another thing.
Speaker 2: But you know, so far, there hasn't seemed to be too much fallout for a Jim having killed sunglasses.
Speaker 3: And also what about.
Speaker 2: That cop Donald Lowe? Is like, is he still lingering in the hospital? Did we find out?
Speaker 1: We did not hear anything about him, so I think we can assume he was still lingering in the hospital. And we also got some the backstory. I know, we were clamoring for the backstory of why Nina does push ups, yes, and we got it that she had a fiance.
Speaker 4: And he used to do that. He said, whenever you're anger, you're upset, just to push ups. It'll release the steam. It's got to be easier ways. She tried outquim.
Speaker 2: Deep breathing.
Speaker 1: I used to I at a place I worked, and I used to just walk up and down the stairs from time to time when it just got too much, I would just walk down to the bottom of the floor and then back up and down and up until I felt less angry or unable to go on. Sometimes I would walk around the building as well. If it was it was not the best place to work, there was a lot of opportunities to walk up and down the stairs.
Speaker 2: I feel like there might be apparenting lesson in there as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, find healthy ways to blow off steam. You know, you do push ups, you're blown off steam. You're also increasing your upper body strike. You might need that walk up and walk up and downstairs. You're you know, improving your cardio vascular health as well as just of not avoiding doing violence right so or saying things that would be difficult to take back more like, yes, you can walk up and down the stairs saying those things to yourself. Yes, but yeah, So that's a good thing to teach kids, is healthy ways to deal with anger and frustration that are not eating, fighting, yelling at your mother. Yelling at your mother. Definitely not yelling at your mother.
Speaker 4: That doesn't work by all means.
Speaker 1: Avoid that, yes, And at the same time, for parents, don't be yelling at your kids, even though it feels so good in the moment.
Speaker 4: I understand, I got it.
Speaker 1: You know, if you're mad at your kid and you hit the floor and start doing push ups, they are going to be impressed.
Speaker 4: I'm doing it.
Speaker 3: Check her out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she looks pretty tough. That's really cool. I love it. But then of course.
Speaker 1: Maybe they'll like just just piss you off to get you.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I wouldn't put that past.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then again maybe not. But healthy ways to blow off steam, Yes I have. I have walked walked around the block sometimes when I would get mad at my family. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't do that now because I fall and break things, right, so I need to find another stress relief.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was my you know, like COVID gotta go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was like an acceptable, you know, reason to leave the house.
Speaker 4: Yes, I need to not be here right now, so so important.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, maybe I'm the only person who does this. But if I were to find a package buried understand in a car. I don't know what's in the package. I don't know who put it there. I don't know that I would just be ripping that thing open. Even mail that comes to my house, I'm a little conscious because you know, who knows what somebody could have done to me?
Speaker 4: How does she know that's not a mail bomb?
Speaker 1: You know, it's just a package of evidence there, it's not something evil. Be careful with how you open things, and teach your kid how to open things.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 4: I don't know if my kids they don't like handle mail at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, it's also like, you know, so old timey, you know, like you see videos or whatever, or you know your own kids, like what where do I write the address?
Speaker 3: Where does the stamp?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yes, I yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know that they would necessarily they would need help, and sometimes even I need help forget to it. It's just so easy to do everything online.
Speaker 4: I know it's bad, you know.
Speaker 1: I think what we learned from this and lost is, uh, if your dad's alive, go say hi. If he's not, you know, sale litle prayer forgiveness and connection.
Speaker 4: Valuable and if you're if you're.
Speaker 1: A dad, don't do things that are gonna make your kid have Daddy issues later, although they could get their own TV show. So you know, you got to figure all these script writers of Daddy Issue. I'm listening right now to autobiography of David Milch, who is a among other things, he was a writer for NYPD Blue and also more importantly to me, John from Cincinnati. Oh yes, and I'm hearing about his life and going, oh, things are becoming.
Speaker 2: Clear, make a little sense.
Speaker 4: Daddy Issue.
Speaker 2: That was one weird, one weird show.
Speaker 1: It was one weird show. And I'm looking forward to the chapter on very much he does, because I'm seeing elements coming into play. But anyway, I'll talk more about that on a future roundup.
Speaker 4: But anyway you can you can.
Speaker 1: Assume that these aren't coming from nowhere, these plot lines that seem to come up over and over and over again.
Speaker 2: Well, we will find out more next week. Next Wednesday, it's episode five of Duster and it's called Ravishing.
Speaker 4: Light and Glory. Oh, we have the title for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have the title. I mean, if I MDBs to believe, be believed, we have no title, I will amend it in the show notes.
Speaker 3: If that turned out to.
Speaker 2: Be compleaved with us before Yes, but so that sounds positive? But who else? And we will see you here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout roundup.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years. The bat, the bat, the combat, the p