Speaker 1: You're listening to something rather than the creator and hosts Ken Valente, that is her producer Peer Bower.
Speaker 2: Hello, everybody, this is ken Valante with Something rather Than Nothing podcast. I have Rachel Verne on the show, and you're gonna hear some enthusiasm in my voice because Rachel's new book, Prioritize Play is out. And in case you're wondering who Rachel is, Rachel is an artist, play enthusiast and creativity height galp based in Detroit, Michigan. She helps people prioritize play to overcome creative blocks, better connect with themselves and their people, and confidently live big, fulfilling lives. When she's not facilitating play workshops or co hosting the Chaotic Creatives podcast, she's likely gabbing with Palells over voice notes and making a weird paper machine. Yes, Rachel, you're perfect for the show. Welcome on.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me. Thrilled to be here.
Speaker 2: It's a weird note to connect on, but very rarely I've seen people chatting over voice notes, which is something that I do, and I think there's nobody in the world, not nobody in the world you'd do it, but I try to build up the habits and other people because my brain processes everything and I'm thinking, if I want to talk to you, Rachel, I'm gonna leave you tw and a half minutes everything that's in my head and leave a voice note for you.
Speaker 3: So yeah, oh, I love it. I love it. I feel like it's in today's age when when it's harder to connect in person, I feel better connected when I can hear my friend's voice and yeah, okay, you know it's like, yeah, we could do a phone call, and we do those, but sometimes you just want to share a little piece of information, share a little thing that happens, okay, and I like to do that, be a voice note.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we say it's a little piece of information, but it could be a lot, it could be about. But I know, I love it. You know. I I interview a lot of a lot of artists, guests, and you know, authors and those who put out books take us into like right now. I always get excited for an author. You know, you got your your book out there. I saw there was just an absolutely fantastic kind of like event that you put on book launch. But with everything that's going on right now with prioritized. Play just been out for just a week or two. Uh, Rachel, tell us about what it's been like, you know, with this book out in the world, and what's been going on for you lately.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's two weeks today and the day we're recording that the book has been out, and it still doesn't feel real for me because this is my first book. And but I'm getting so much great feedback already, people saying that they're loving it, that it is impacting them, that they're sharing it with their people, And that's exactly what I hope to do. I just want people to realize that we are in charge of creating the lives that we want, and and Play I think is a really approachable tool that we can use to start doing that.
Speaker 2: It's a great it's a great guy. Like I don't know what the term like guide, but like just listeners. As a book, it's it's it's a beautiful, beautiful and inviting book with illustrations and lots of activities and like once you hear activities, like a lot of us like rush through books, and but like with the activities, like in going through it, there's things for me to do later there's things that I can do right now, and even just what I wrote, like on one of these prompts you have, I had this amazing experience when I looked at the prompt and I'm like, I don't even remember writing that idea down and it was just like it was just last week, and I'm like, that's a really strange idea. So just the type of thing where as, uh, where you're at, we're talking about play here, and of course, uh, I'm assuming with us being artistically inclined, like a play isn't so abnormal, but but culturally, but culturally I think you deal with this right like you talk to people right now. Everybody's busy. Everybody's so busy, right like speed up of the world, you know, whatever it's moving towards. And then artists point to as you do and discover, hey, look, you're super creative by you being a human and in re engaging, uh with with play, which you know some people might find frivolous. But what is what is it that you want to do helping folks, you know, and whether it's going back in time or finding the activity that they want? Why play? And what does what does play like lead us? To it, like as far as as a human artist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I started using the language of play because I have always been a creative person. But I think I buried it to kind of chase these societal expectations that I didn't I didn't even realize I was chasing sort of like the career milestones and the social milestones of of find a partner, get married, by a house, mil your lawn, like I think so many of us fall into, especially into adulthood. Like you said, we're so busy, and it's easy to kind of get caught up in the urgency and the like I have to spend all of my time being productive. I have to climb the career ladder. I have to do these things in order to feel successful. And without realizing it, our life is kind of passively happening to us. And I think that that is what was happening to me and my creativity, that I was stifling to kind of chase those milestones, even even subconsciously. I don't think it was a conscious effort. I the creativity was bubbling up. It was just like you gotta let me out. I need to I need to have an outlet, and I my story is interwoven in the book, and I talk about how I was using my career title as my identity without realizing it. And I just don't think that humans are meant to identify with their jobs. I think we're we're meant to identify with the things that light us up and how we connect with people. Like we ask kids, what do you want to be when you grow up? And they say, and we expect adults expect answers like fireman, teacher, engineer, lawyer, whatever, But you could ideally expect answers of I want to be funny, I want to be a good friend, I want to be kind, I want to be creative. But the way that our culture is right now, it just that's not sort of the mindset that our society encourages. And so I explored my creativity and I got to a point where I was putting a ton of pressure on it to make money. And then I was like, I just want to do something for fun for me. And when I gave myself permission to do that, my life change. I was like, Oh, this doesn't have to have any purpose other than making me happy. And when I started doing that, I started chasing more things like that. But when I started talking about it in this term, in the terms of creativity, because like you said, we're artists, that's that's kind of how we think. I got a lot of pushback from people saying, well, that's easy for you, you're creative. I'm not creative. And I just think that creativity is a natural human urge or experience. It's just that we have such narrow views of what creativity is. So people in general might think of creativity as making a painting or or dressing in a weird way, but it could be making a meal, or it could be how you how you invite conversation over dinner. And I realized that if I use the language of play, it's approachable to more people while still getting at that creativity outlet. And that was a long winded answer to your.
Speaker 2: Question, Oh, this is long winded show. This is a long winded show. No, like I you know, so I've I've talked towards over three hundred episodes on the show, and I found it fascinating for me that my interaction with artists develops the show and moves it to a different way. And one of the pieces it did is, like I started as like art and philosophy show right, like kick it around. It kind of means like I could talk to anybody who's a creative. But the piece that I added on like soon there after people ask what the show is, I said, it's art and philosophy and liberation. And like for me, it was like everybody I was talking to, nobody had it all figured out. We're humans, but they were they they were liberating themselves from an idea from the childhood, negative criticism from the partner that said you have to make money this way and that like there was this liberation process, which for me social activists and such, it's like so important. I love being around people where they're like I'm going to shed this and I'm going to add that, and uh it was a surprise for me to experience that through the journey of doing the show. It's like you think you create the like what it is and this is what it is, and then you're like, oh, since I embarked on this, I'm in a different place and I got to I got to recognize that talking about like when you talked about your shift, it's like, uh, the idea of a total transformation and in freeing you were engineering, right, weren't you right? So yeah, So like I was reading that, I was like, oh gosh, like I can see that. I could see the hard not necessarily but like a hard tension building up there. I was talking about the podcast of my podcast like in its like the sense of exploration, and I've listened to your podcast, Chaotic Creatives, and I really really enjoy it. I wanted to ask you that particular way of going through the issues that you talk about, what is the podcast done like as a way of you developing your big themes?
Speaker 3: Oh I love I love that you talked about your experience with like realizing that liberation came with it too, because I feel the same way about about my journey, but also about the podcast, where it's like I have these ideas and general philosophies on my work or connecting with people or art in general, and just through conversations with other curious people, and my podcast co host is another curious person. Yeah, these through lines emerge and you don't even realize that it's happening. But I always go back and listen to our episodes so I can be like, what did we talk about? Because we it's conversational, we ramble, go on a side quest, but there are through lines that emerge, and I think that that is that's what's so beautiful about conversations. And like the sort of lack of expectation that we put on the podcast is just like, hey, let's talk about the things that we're going through because that's ultimately relatable to people. And I'm sure you've experienced that as well, but just through curiosity, there's so much learning that can happen in a conversation, even.
Speaker 2: Yeah, an ability to be wrong, which you know, not wrong, but you know what I'm saying, Like when when when the expectations and you're off and stuff you have to like in the whole bit, like you talk about it in a book, like in that growth in the like the cringe is what makes us real like and and for me, like I want to I want to read you a little part of the book that was like super important for me. Yeah, so you ask the initial reflection questions in the beginning of the book and then you say, are there things you want to work on changing or evolving. I still frequently think of myself as quote unquote annoying, but I know that my enthusiasm is actually one of my superpowers. Being too much is relative. I'm not just I'm not just some people but not expressive enough to others. Once we start to identify the traits we want to be perceived with, and we identify which negative traits we associate with ourselves, we can start to work on them. And I think like there's such like an affirmation of like the too muchness that is there, and it's just the language that you just like really kick to me because I've said that in my life, like I like, whether it's in relationships and like it can when you have a lot of energy and enthusiasm, be like when you're engaging with people and you see them trail off and they don't dislike you or anything like that, but you see that. So it really recognized a phenomenon. But also like going in and being like you know what, like I'm me and and and then and I'm not too much or or or too little. That was like really pivotal like uh for me to read, and I think it's really good like as uh like as a basis when you're going into plays, like don't take yourself so seriously make mistakes who gives a fuck what other people are saying when you're going down to it and you're lining in with what you want to do. And that was a great affirmation to me. How'd you get to that point where you could say that in that yeah for you? How do you get to that point where you're just like I am me?
Speaker 3: I mean, like I say in the book, it's imperfect. I talk about imperfect action and I think, I think, I mean, I still feel that way. I still feel like I'm annoying, but it's like being aware of it is the first step, and then giving myself, like treating myself as if I were talking to a best friend, where it's like, I don't think you're annoying. I think you're amazing and the right people will find you as long as you're being yourself. And I think for so long I dimmed a lot of my light and enthusiasm because I wanted to be taken seriously and be a professional. And I think so many people do that and can be taken seriously when we are enthusiastic. I think when we can find the things like our natural like gifts and talents, when we can be living in that world, it doesn't matter how enthusiastic or like obnoxious you are, you can still be serious. Like I literally wrote a book about play because.
Speaker 2: I'm excited about it and worked hard on it.
Speaker 3: I worked hard, Yeah, and one doesn't negate the other. And I think for a long time, I think I thought that it did. Like, oh well, if I'm like giggly and asking silly questions and I'm wholesome, then I will not be taken seriously and or I'm not attracting the like cool quote unquote cool people into my life. And I don't want to attract quote unquote cool people. I want to attract people who are authentically connecting with me because we have shared interests and they value what I value in myself. So to answer your question, I think a lot of it was therapy and self reflection and thinking about like Okay, why do I feel insecure about this thing? Or like can I name it? And I think that's what I try to get people to do in the book, is like just becoming aware of the maybe limiting beliefs that we have about ourselves and what we're allowed to have in our lives. And a lot of that is just like you know, from like you mentioned earlier experiences like getting criticized in your elementary art school class, or or you know you had a rough childhood, or a bad partner or a bad boss. All of us have these limiting experiences, and it's kind of like, how can we work to acknowledge them and be nice to ourselves and just like really think about what lights me up the most, what's going to make me happiest in my life? And like, if judgment weren't an issue, if money weren't an issue, how would I want to live? And we may not be able to do that because we live in a world where judgment and money are issues and we have to pay our bills. But what little steps can we take to kind of like just be in the direction of the life that we're craving or yearning for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I loved I loved that spot. Talk about some some some some art questions, and what I wanted to ask you is when when did you see yourself as an artist? When did that happen? Like was it a moment or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great question, and it's it's when when I first started doing talk therapy. Uh, maybe like six or seven years ago. I remember feeling this discontent with my life, like just like, oh, I just sort of feel like I want something bigger, but I can't articulate what it is. Like this isn't the life I'm supposed to live, but I don't know what life I'm supposed to live. I just don't feel good. And it's you know, through classic therapy questions, we got to the point where I couldn't even call myself a creative, even though anyone that knows me for my entire life would say that I'm a creative.
Speaker 2: Really you couldn't say that.
Speaker 3: I couldn't even say creative, and so like to first admit like I want to be an artist, that felt like I'm not allowed to have that. I didn't go to art school. I don't have, you know, disposable income that I can just like live off of so that I can make art all day and lounge around in southern France like I had. I had these like judgments and these like expectations of what it meant to be an artist. And so through a lot of reflection and I've read a million self help books, the Artist's Way was really impactful. I quote Julia Cameron a lot in the book. I realize like, oh, it's not it's not selfish to want to live the life that I want to live. And that's okay. And so I do this thing where I tell the people I work with, like, what's what title do you want to have? And for me, it's like capital a artist, and I say, we got a costplay as that version until it feels real. So I was introducing myself as an artist and I did this on the podcast. I said it. I was like, I'm on my podcast, Create of Craves. I was like, I'm going to practice introducing myself as an artist. Sure, And so I did that for like a season. Still didn't feel real. I think I am still in the practicing phase. I think, I know, I know it's true. I'm yeking art. I make art every day, but I don't know what it will take for it to feel like this is real. So I'm like, I'm okay with costs playing as it if it takes forever. You know, this is my armor, my it's it's my you know, costume that I'm putting on of artists. And then eventually it won't feel so much like a costume.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow, I've just listened to your Eartahs, this is it's it's like a great surprise, but it makes inherent sense. Well, let me ask, Let me ask, Let me ask, uh we use in like art in like the big word art. What is r What do you view as as as art in your relationship? You know with you being an artist?
Speaker 3: M I love this question, and I think I like being naive to like the capital a art world like I, like you said, I was an engineer. I went to engineering college. That's what my degrees are in. I have no formal art education, so I don't know how things work. And for a long time I felt like that was to my detriment, But I actually think like me being naive to things gives me freedom. Like I have no idea what I'm quote unquote supposed to do, so I just do what feels good. And art for me in this exploration that I've been in the last couple of years, is pross making the weird shit in my brain but really processing what I'm feeling. And it doesn't have to be an exact representation of that. But art is a practice that I'm doing to connect with myself. It's not necessarily about the product. It's about the process of making.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I I just love that answered.
Speaker 3: What what is the.
Speaker 2: I asked, Well, so like right now, anybody I talked to, I don't know, it's my own disposition, right, Like, let's take the world frame right now, twenty twenty six, like temperatures getting hotter, getting hotter, and and you gotta you get these fucking data centers that gobblin up water and like everything like geopolitical stuff, and so the times feel different, they feel different to me. I also know that humans always think the end is coming. It's always around the corner. I also know that too. But is there something Is there something about the role of art rate now as we're talking twenty twenty six, is there something different about the role of art? Or is art just arting as it has in a different way.
Speaker 3: Ooh, that's a good question, I feel again because I feel so naive too, sort of the like the corporate art world, Like I don't know anything about galleries or what it means to be successful. I know what it means for me to be successful, and I think we all need to define our own level of success. And that's just like I get to make my art, that's it. That's success for me is like I have the space, time and resources to make what I want to make. But I think I think art is more. And maybe, like you said, humans have always thought that the ends are something we're living in the worst possible timeline. But I think it's so important because I think we're all so many of us are like cogs in this like late stage capitalist machine where we don't have time and we've lost our sense of community and identity. And I think art and play for me are tools that we can use to reconnect with ourselves to figure out like what does it mean to be me? Like who am I? What makes me happy? What do I enjoy doing? And then also by doing that, the more that we can figure out who we are and live that version cosplay as that version of ourselves that we want to be, the more we'll be able to connect with others who feel the same way and disconnect from sort of that productivity. I'm only successful if I'm making a lot of money, if I'm climbing the corporate ladder, like the liberation that you talked about, where it's like we need to redefine what success in life means. And I think art is a huge component of that that we have maybe lost, but many of us are finding our way back to.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense, yes, sure does I've I've been a notice and like even in talking in the conversation and talking about like the like the lack of background, I'm fascinated by that because like my my trajectory and like using art or thinking about being an artist is I can tell you for sure that I've literally never had a formal art class, like an extended formal art class, I know, And I've loved doing this as I've as I've lived, I've dropped into like workshops and stuff like that and been enthralled by that. So it's been intermittent and absolutely enjoyed that. But even like art history, anything I would know anything about that is completely self taught. I don't know the bio if he's in general or creators except for listening to like other podcasts, I'm interested in it. But it's like there's something about like this conversation with like lack of formal training that like it's that it seems like just so cool, like and even my approach to philosophy when it first started was like I took a philosophy of art class, it was still like and I love the conceptual questions, but it was still like, what is this big thing art from from from the outside. But I find it so strange because it's a tough thing for maybe for me to overcome and you to overcome too, of being like, why the hell do you say anything about art if you, like, if you haven't done this, And I think just kind of like disregarding that and put it back to like play and creativity is being like, hey, whether it's a cosplayer or not, we're looking pretty good, like you know, like we're we're doing our thing, and then talking about it in in a in a real way. I wanted because I saw the video of your book launch, I want you to tell, like I want to like tell the audience of how you did that. It had so many different components, but I want you to drop in a little bit like about the book launch itself and some of the creative activity that you built around the launch.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, And I think it ties into the sort of the conversation about like the lack of training and just like being okay with being naive, like so many adults think they can't do something because they're going to be bad at it, and it's like, you're allowed to be bad. We can be bad at things. We can be you know, childlike at the things that we want to try. We don't have to be good. We don't have to aspire to be good at things to enjoy doing them. And that is what I told myself. With the book launch party, I was like, Okay, there are traditional ways that people have launched books. This is a non traditional book. It's createsivity, it's self help. There's a little bit of play. There's a lot of play, but there's also a little bit of my story. And I want to have those facets in that I talk about in the book represented in the book launch party. So I rented a warehouse in Detroit. And I love attention to detail, which I talk about in the book. I think when we're paying attention and we're intentional about every part of our lives, it's more fulfilling. And so I wanted everyone to come to this party and feel like, oh my god, she thought of everything and this is so silly and fun. So had all these stations, so people got at the door when they checked in, they got a goodie bag filled with dice and pom poms and a postcard and stickers and just like fun merch because I love that kind of stuff, like custom merch. And then they got a novelty cup that was either shaped like a smiley face of basketball or ice. And then they walk into the party and there's all these different stations and one was I hired a face painter, and this is like, this is an adults party. It's not. It's not a children's birthday party. And that face painter was busy all night, like she has like I'm done, I'm sorry. Yeah, And that makes me so happy because it's like, how often are adults getting their faces painted? Like if there's a face painter at an event that I went to, I would be like, oh, I feel bad, the kids are waiting. I'm not going to stand in line and wait. And this was giving permission, and I think giving permission is what the book is about. And so there's there was the face painter. I had a photo booth station. I had a collage table where I brought all my collage materials and people could make laminated bookmarks. I have this exercise in the book called making a playlist like a to do list filled with only play activities. And I do this seasonally because I feel like it's easy to kind of think back to what did I like to do in the winter as a kid, Have a snowball fight, drink hot chocolate, and those little tiny actions are what can help propel us into this life of play and creativity. So I made big poster board with empty playlists and had people write their favorite seasonal activities. I had these silly questions for conversation. I had my friends are really talented chefs, like home chefs, and they made this six foot long sandwich that we cut up into a bunch of pieces. So there's just this visual impact of a huge sandwich and then the biggest part And I think maybe this ties into the like when did I feel like an artist? Or when am I feeling validated in that feeling is I was like, well, it's my party. I'm going to have an art gallery with all the work that I've created. And so I had a corner that was all of the work that I'm stoked about, and I set it up like an art gallery on the white pillars and labeled everything and it was magical. I had a Bingo card so everyone had activities to do because at big social events, I sometimes get overwhelmed and I'm like, I don't know if I want to talk to a bunch of strangers all the time. So if there's an activity for me at an event, I'm so happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so there were things like check out the art gallery, right your silly question, get your face painted, eat a part of the big Sandwich, and then if they got a bingo, they can enter in. And I made these prize packs with lots of fun. So all of this, all of those stations represented this like playful energy that I'm trying to get people to realize, like we're allowed to do this in our lives, Like I made this party up, I made this book up. Hell yeah, and you can do it too. So it was a blast.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I just want to hang out with you. You're up there, you're up there in Detroit, and it's so it's so wonderful to hear about the book launch. There's another iteration or your creativity that I saw and I was late in coming to It was fashion and close and I just I've lost my mind on this piece. Like the other stuff is I love that I've lost my mind on this piece because like another another thing with like going through the show is two out of three guests are non male genders. And I also have talked to a lot of different indigenous guests over thirty and have moved into things that I didn't expect, like color and fashion, and I know you have this whole I want to talk about clothes in fashion because it was it was striking when I first saw images of you. I like, your clothes were like so wild and fantastic and like really cool. And then I was reading more about how finding yourself and your identity and doing that, and I do believe at the launch party, everybody was wearing monochromatic yes, clothes which you had, which you had directed talk about the clothes, the fashion, wearing color, and also like it seemed to me that you started to develop like a very large following, like of people being like, oh man, I'm gonna follow Rachel or be inspired by Rachel and what she's doing. Can you talk about that whole bit because that's so fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, I forgot that part of the party. There's so many details of the party.
Speaker 2: That I can that's I was like, I was like even though this is a big one for me, this is number twenty details, so I don't know if she's gonna remember it.
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, I did say like please wear color monochrome encouraged, and I was I was curious, Like a couple of my friends were like, Okay, who's gonna what are you gonna do when people don't follow that rule? And I was like, it's okay, I bet most people will, and sure enough, most people did, and it was it was visually impactful like it it was so cool that people did it. And the photographer that I hired like got the different color groups together, and it just I think color is such an underutilized thing in adult life. Likes to wear all black. We have like, you know, we had the millennial gray interior design aesthetic that was you know, had so many of us in a choke hold. And for me, color is creative expression. And yeah, I have had many like creative iterations. So when I was doing my engineering job, I was doing hand lettering, letter press printing, and I had a stationary business and I got really burnt out on that and I was putting a lot of pressure on that. So I was like, Okay, I love getting dressed. I love thrifting, I love putting together outfits that feel like me that no one else has. And I really wanted to give myself an opportunity to explore that and accountability to sharing it. And so during like you know, a year or so after COVID started, we're all working from home, I'm wearing sweatpants and feeling pretty uninspired in my life, I was like, I'm going to do a creative challenge, and I decided to do these style challenges. I called them the Rachel Renee Style Challenges, and I was like, I'm going to post my outfits online. And part of it was like me wanting to feel comfortable feeling seen online because so many people will say like, oh, I'm not comfortable with doing a real on the internet, or I don't want people to judge me, and it's like that's going to happen either way. So if you feel called to share your version of creativity, you should do it. And so it was like I couldn't articulate that then, but looking back, I definitely was like, oh, I wanted to feel more seen, and so I created these style challenges. I made a prompt like monochrome Mondays or thrifted Thursdays, fancy Fridays, or they got weirder and weirder as the months progress, like we're doing barbecue sommer as this week's theme, like like I'm wearing hot dog colors. Like just silly. But what it allowed me to do is one feel more comfortable, feeling seen connect with people who were excited about the same things, because sometimes that's hard to do in person. And so that's why I love like online communities too, is because it's like we get to connect with people who are into the same exact thing as us. And then it was a practice in me showing up authentically exploring my personal style. I was able to start articulating like oh I like these colors, I like these materials, And it was a blast. But I very quickly, like you said, I grew a following around these style challenges, people participating and connecting, and I made lots of friends online through that challenge. But then when maybe like a year into it, I got kind of like pigeonholed and people were considering me like a fashion influencer and that's fine, but I was feeling stifled. I was like that's not what I am. I don't want to tell people to buy this stuff. I want to give you permission to explore your style on your own, Like, let me help you with these prompts, because it's what helped me express myself creatively. And so that's where I started talking about creativity and creative expression and identity because I was like, these are close are tools for me to show up as the identity that I want. And then I got the pushback on the creativity terms with people being like, well, that's you, not me, and that's why I was like, but we can play. We can play with clothes, and so yeah, clothes are very, very a very important part of my I think identity. I really, I know, before we started recording, I showed you my vintage Green Bay Packers sell you.
Speaker 2: Shout out for that Green Bay Packers shirt. Rachel just pointing that out for everybody.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, and so like I love style, and I think style and close our tools to help us again, cosplay as the version of ourselves we want to be. Like, if I want to be an artist, I'm gonna dress a little bit more kooky. I'm gonna wear more colors. I'm gonna wear weird wide leg pants because that will help me like step into that identity. So I think clothes are a really cool way to express ourselves creatively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, thanks for chatting about that. I think clothes and color. One of the things that I've talked to guests before is like the development of my brain. Uh, when I started painting and and and moving into like I started seeing a lot more different colors, and so your activities where you're pulling things out for the environment, we're very much like in my head of like seeing and pulling out. And once I started to do that, they're talking about like change, like physical change, Like my brain started to see differently, and that was like once I realized that happened, I was like, holy shit it and it was really true. Like, uh, painting, but I very much apply to like speaking a monochromatic. I got this Adidas track suit that's specifically the color is warm clay, and that damn suit, Like I told, I tell my people, people joke with me about it. I said, that's my foremost I wear that thing anywhere, that warm clay at the tracksuit, I'm lined in. I'm lined in. When I got that thing too, And that's what.
Speaker 3: Style is so cool, because it's like that is the piece or the set that makes you feel the most. You Like, I have a couple of pieces where I'm like, oh, I'm feeling insecure today, or I'm feeling low. I'm feeling low. I'm going to put on this this eighties prom dress and go to Costell. Yeah, it doesn't matter. It's like they are tools that we can use to like hype ourselves up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so much. So much to talk about what's been with the book being out, any surprises as far as like surprises in the process or somebody ran into or things you're starting starting to hear about your own book.
Speaker 3: I haven't heard a lot yet, all good things, which are great. I haven't seen any negative reviews yet, which is fantastic, but I assume they'll come. I'm trying to mentally prepare for that. I think I'm just really excited to see how this connects me with like more creative communities and getting this in the hands of more people and realizing like, yeah, play and creativity are tools that we can use to live for ourselves. I am excited to be doing some book events at some local libraries and local bookstores. I'm doing a virtual kind of workshop about play for Creative Mornings. Are you familiar with that? So? I think it originally started in New York. I don't know all of the lore behind Creative Mornings, but it's like a group of designers started it, I think, where they would get together every Friday morning and just like chat about design work being creatives. And then it expanded and there are chapters in different major cities. But then they do these online things called field trips where you can sign up and you can talk about whatever your creative interest is. And so I'll be doing a field trip, which I'm excited about. I'm hoping that when more people read the book and can understand what I mean when I say prioritize play, that it's not just like, oh, hey, go make time to go play basketball more, which if that's your play, do it. But really it's like a mindset and lifestyle shift, and they're are easy ways to start to do this in our lives. I just hope that I get to talk to more people like I would love to talk to like a corporate design team and be like, hey, I know you all are educated in the design world, and I don't have any education, but like, what if we were pinatas? What would you look like? And what would you be filled with? Which is one of the questions in the book.
Speaker 2: That is one of the questions, and that is the question that I read. I went back and I read, and I'm like, who did it? In God's Green Earth? Wrote this down? And it was me and my pinata? Right, so that it's a pinata, what's it's shaped as, and what's filled with? Check this out. It's the shape of a crucifix and filled with pomegranates. I'm like, I don't even remember writing that thing. It's a pretty wild idea, but I'm like it's my handwriting and everything. I'm like this last week, So it's like a simple thing for me. It reminds me a lot of times, you know, like when you write something down, your creative ideas, and you look at it, You're like, it's me, but it's like, I both, I don't even remember thinking of writing that, And so that one of the pieces about the book is like kind of like writing that stuff down, messing messing with the book that I thought it was the Stranger's thing. I was like, I wrote that down, so a lot of fun. Yeah, So the creative question and what it's felt I thought that.
Speaker 3: Was I'm so glad you did it. Yeah, I feel like the that's what I was hoping to really put in the book, where like questions like that where it's like you are being forced to be creative, but it's almost like I'm throwing you off so much with how weird it is that you you're limiting beliefs about like who you are don't come in yet, you just automatically answer. And I think like when we can sort of channel that like authentic version of ourselves, Like I have some I journal every day and I have some examples like what you said where I'm reading back and I'm like, where did this idea come from? I've never thought about that before in my life, but okay, and I'm like what was I Did I not have my coffee?
Speaker 2: Like? Was I still speaking? Who is this?
Speaker 3: And But I think like when we can sort of tap into that, like on we're not filtering our thoughts, we're just answering, I think like that can help us tap into that creativity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I there was a thought that I I was thinking about and maybe it was like Detroit that prompted it, you know. So I think in terms of like when you talk about our system and creative places. You know, I come from like working class background and like, and you know people come from different backgrounds, and art always has like a different station or place. But it's I think in the context of like general economics and survivability, Like there's this kind of like really like dark corner where it's absolutely frivolous and useless and not productive and knowing that that's not the case and like learning over time, like for working people. The reason why I was thinking of like Michigan, Detroit and stuff like because I know there's like you know, I don't live it, but I know there's a renaissance of like creative activity and space and artists in that area, you know, and it's like post rollout of you know, factories closing everything that's happened to Detroit, which still stands as a fantastic city but has gone through all that type of thing. There was such a tight connection in my head of like how like after this essential and semi collapse here that there was space. You know, it's political and social aspects to it, but that there was a space opening up around that. So it almost seemed like, almost like in my head, like the place for that to emerge in like almost like reaction or like of like a new creativity. Is that authentic? Like I mean you're there, and I'm not trying to overblow like the Detroit thing, but as you're interacting with people in the space in that city, there is that that that kind of art renaissance or space or culture is that? Is that a real thing? And is it growing?
Speaker 3: I think so I will say that I'm like kind of a homebody, so I know I'm not like out and about a lot, but yeah, absolutely, I've been I've been in Detroit since twenty thirteen, so over a decade. And I mean even in that decade plus that I've been here, it's changed a lot. Definitely. It seems like that it's such a creative city and it's kind of like I read Just Kids by Patti Smith and she's talking about moving to New York and like, you know, they're living in these warehouses that don't have plumbing and it's like a supplied closet bathroom is where they get their water. And it gives me like that sort of vibe where it's like a very industrial city that is less industrial than it once was. There's still a lot of like the working class mentality, Like I think we all in the Midwest, we just like love to work hard and feel good about our hard work, you know. And and so there's there's space. Detroit is a huge city, like Land area wise, so there's a lot that is not populated, and so there's space. Like I was, I would never be able to rent the space that I rented in Detroit for my book launch party, like in New York in Brooklyn, like that would be you know, quadruple to ten times the price for me to be able to do that. And so I think in spaces like that, artists it's like the natural progression, right, Like artists come in, We're like, all right, we can utilize this space. And then eventually that leads to like gentrification and then everything is Williamsburg. So and that hasn't happened yet, but there are some neighborhoods Detroit that that's that's starting where it's like, oh, when I first moved here, I could I could have bought a house in that neighborhood. And now I'm like, no, way, but I think that's pretty pretty common for cities. But to answer your question, yeah, there's a great creative energy here and it's it's like to me, it feels like a down to earth kind of grounded energy because of the Midwest mindset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that makes a lot of sense to me. Now on the show, I like, I like dropping into like whatever way I can, like the area the folks are on, or what's the vibe, and sometimes there's these different pieces that make you think because it's not just like for you, you obviously like you know, hype gal, hype gal for all this hype gal for yourself, but overall too there are stultifying atmospheres and there are like expansive in creative atmospheres, and neither are perfect. But like you can be situated in the spot where rather than have to explain each thing you're do and somebody's baking, Oh that's cool, Yeah we'll roll with that, and so like to help you totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think like that's something that is interesting because I think there are like, for example, I went, I have friends in Brooklyn, I have friends in Portland. You're you're you know, not too too far from Portland. Closer to Portland than Detroit for sure. Uh, So I can go to Portland or Brooklyn and I can be like, oh, yeah, I'm an artist. I do this. I make weird paper mache shit, and people are like hell yeah. Around here. There are some community like some people I talk to who get it, and then there's some that are like what because it's it's sort of that again Midwest mindset where it's like, I I don't know what it is about, like the socialization of people. I grew up in Michigan's upper peninsulat, so like very.
Speaker 2: Rural, oh you'll pee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly closer to Wisconsin than Detroit. Yeah, But I think and maybe it's like sort of the the cold weather mindset and the immigrants that came in, Like my family, I'm a fifth generation Yupers, so it's it's quite a few generations removed since they came to the up but just sort of the like you put your head down, you work hard, you don't complain sort of mentality, And so I think growing up around that was a lot of the reason why I'm like, oh, it's frivolous for me to want to be an artist, even though it's so core to my being and so there is a little bit of that mindset. I think in the Midwest, it's just like not everyone is like a weird creative like they are in Brooklyn or in Portland or in even La in a different way, you know, like I feel very at home in those other bigger cities that are like freak culture and that I mean that as a compliment. Why why yep, exactly, But Detroit has some of that and also the cost of living is very low and that's lovely. And I'm from this area and my community is here and the access to nature in the different seasons, like there are a lot of reasons to love it here. So yeah, ros and cons everywhere, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks no, thanks for for for dropping us in there.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: My head, I'm a huge horror film freak, and I think there was a couple filled in that kind of like almost like outsoor outdoor liminal space like in Detroit, and I was like just dropping into that, like love that. It's like almost like industrial horror, but just like that creativity of like what's what what is in that space? What is hidden? What is uh like uh beyond that door? So oh wow. So we we covered a lot of stuff. Tell me, tell me why did you start a podcast? And I know you do with the partner there, what about the podcast? Like, what's the podcast been for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Our podcast. I kind of pitched it to my friend Lauren. She's she's a designer uh and has been for many years and has has primary She worked for a marketing agency for like a year out of college, but then has primarily worked for herself. And she's been a great resource for me in terms of especially when I was doing hand lettering, I was like, oh, Lauren's done lettering. I'm learning a lot from this friend. And we always just had really great conversations about philosophy, about creativity, about yeah, politics, about just all the stuff. Uh. And many times we would have these hours long conversations and be like, man, we should have recorded that, Like we had some good nuggets in there. And as I was starting to kind of step into this role of artist, of creative, of doing more sort of education and encouragement online talking about prioritizing play, I was like, I think we have an interesting perspective that we can share because you have all of the you, Lauren have all of the background of like going to design to art school and being a designer and working for yourself being a freelancer for a decade. I am in this transition period where like I admire everything that you do, but I haven't been able to fully allow myself to do that, and so I'm kind of navigating these sort of like emerging artists or like new questions that she's been living for a decade. And I was like, instead of just asking her and only me getting the answers, maybe we could share this. And then we giggle a lot. And we're very chaotic in terms of like we're working on lots of things. We love working with our hands doing projects, and so we were like, let's do a season and just like see how it goes. And we really enjoyed it, and like we talked about earlier, like they're there. You learn from conversations. I mean, if it's with the same person, you know, it's just the topics that we talked about, the little nuggets of wisdom, even the cringe that like if I go back and listen to season one episodes and I'm like, why would I say that? Somebody related to it, and like I learned, So yeah, that's kind of where that came from. Just like, let's we have great conversations about lots of things and we understand how like we're imperfect, we want to be chaotic, we want to be creative, and we live these lives that we're talking about. So yeah, that's where that came from.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like the well, I mean I like the podcast format, which I see is like in its essence like populist and people based in accessible, And I think it was strange like just and working on the podcast and like watch started developed like as far as like connecting people like my ideas and like where this came from, and like just like it was all organized into my head. So I realized one day I'm a labor organizer by by trading in my day job. So it was it was like the type of thing of like you think the word sucks, but like transferability, right, so like you're talking about like what do you know and like how it can translate. But I realized like either like habitually or in a way that was even more exciting to me that I was like organizing around are Like at some point I just step back and being like, well, I'm an organizer by nature and I'm like putting this here and this here and this here and encountering this and how do you get to this person? Because I talked to that person. I saw them at a party and I didn't know they did photography and I talked to them, you know, and it was all it all kind of the like I would develop, Like there was a conscious development of that, but it was like it was such a surprise to me that like, oh, I'm kind of like pulling it together like I would do with the workers that I that I represent, and I don't know, it just felt a lot of fun. It felt more powerful too, because like there was a lot of ways I interact that it was just like, oh, I'm I'm doing it and in this way. And the number one question most people about about my show is like, how do you like how the hell do you like find or invite these people? And it's all developed over time, and it's all makes intuitive sense, you know, like talking to you and and and in your book, it all makes intuitive sense to me. But like on the outside, it's be like how do you talk to like somebody who does like there's an exotic dancer like in La and like you know, I got it, and I said, there's a path. There's a path that led to like all these expressions. And also and I don't know if you find like sometimes in your conversations having the first conversation with somebody who does like this art thing that you have no frigging clue what it is, Like I like, for me, like I don't know, like people working with metal and stuff like that, and be like I want you on the show, like tell us the stuff and like what you think about, and it's just really open. It feels really cool, and that like a curious like learning learning spread always like to learn, you know, And the podcast seems to me like a really good spot for that.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, And I love what you said about just like the connections because I think for so long, and especially when I did my engineering job, like networking was we talked about networking all the time, and it was like I would go to these conferences and I would just feel just so like, oh I don't want to talk to that person. I like just want to go back to my hotel room, do my talk and go away. And since I have quit that career and become this person now fully, I it's like every conversation is an opportunity for connection. I'm like, you very curious, love to learn, and when you're not approaching it from the perspective of like I have to network and like get on good terms with this person, and instead you're like, what can I learn about this person? Those connections just naturally happen and then you know, in five years when I'm thinking about oh, yeah, like you said, metalsmithing, I don't know that person. Uh oh, this person does glass work, but maybe they know somebody who does metal And it's just like naturally, again, when we're finding the things that light us up the most, we're curious about them, we're excited, we're meeting other people with those same values sort of naturally, and then that network just naturally expands instead of it being like I have to force this connection because this is a person I should know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's the that's there's a piece of that like and I totally understand that as well, but it's almost like how you go into it. And obviously you be thinking about that with intentionality, but like it's like for me, it almost always seems like kind of impossible to get into things with the framework of it's just it's just a it's a transaction. Like if I'm gonna know, I'm gonna be like, what's the last book you read that blew your mind right? And then for me that's gonna that's gonna open up so much stuff, rather like did you look at this protocol? And like I know you're an expert. God bless everybody for like learning what they need to learn, but like like in organizing or what a network and such, just like I always think ultimately it's like to know the human being and like how they're approaching it. Even technical knowledge like that's fine, tell me technical shit that I need to know as well, But there's a humanity I think like that we're talking about that's missed when like I need you for this and you can't. If I can't make that transfer of what you mean to me, it's a failed conversation rather than being like I heard your kid plays baseball, is like you know, like human wise, like I don't know how to I don't know how to open it up in those Maybe that's part of it too, I don't necessarily like quite know or maybe not deeply interesting in just opening up the relationship in that way, you know.
Speaker 3: I yeah, And I think like everyone wants. I truly think everyone wants to be seen and understood for who they are. And when we're asking people about their personal lives, what do you like to do, what do you like to do for fun? What's the last book you read? What are your kids up to this weekend? You know, like those those questions make them feel seen as a human instead of a cog in this machine. And I think that's all we all want.
Speaker 2: And we all get bored with work, like I'm a labor Like I love labor, Like I cut my finger, I bleed the label went on stuff that's not it for me, Like it's a huge, massive, massive chunk, and I get bored with Like I get bored with things like just you know, not that I'm bored with it, but like it is not my first entry. It's not the first thing, like you know, so as fast as I am with like workers and what the experiences will work and trying to make it better. Sometimes when you have conversations like I want to I want to talk about a movie, like I really just want or like whatever you know, like opening it up, or like what people like for art and music? You know, music's in art conversation, right, so you know, asking about like what what what?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: What you really dig on and stuff? So uh so uh and everybody. I want to let listeners know, Rachel renee is is is your hype gal? As you say, how do you all right? So let me ask you this question. I know you're hyt gal, and I like to be a hype gal hype guy for everybody that that I know you say it, even for yourself or being for yourself. How the heck, heck, how the heck you be your own hype person? What do you mean?
Speaker 3: What are you?
Speaker 2: What are you thinking about?
Speaker 3: There's Yeah, there's a chapter in the book about that because I think, especially growing up in a small town like I, as a little freak artist, I felt deeply misunderstood. And I think that's a pretty common feeling that a lot of kids feel, whether you're from a rural area or not. Right like, we're all just trying to figure out who we are. And I think that for so long I was looking for permission externally. I was looking for someone to say, you're good at art, go to art school, you're good at this, do this. Oh I'm expecting you to get married, have kids, buy a house, settle down forever.
Speaker 2: Do that.
Speaker 3: And so I was not wanting to do those things, but I was waiting for someone to say you should do this, or like this is what I'm expecting you to do, or now you have permission to do this. And so I think what I've realized in my own journey to getting here is that like we're the only ones who can give ourselves permission to live the way that we want to, and so we have to hype ourselves up for that permission. We have to give ourselves permission.
Speaker 2: First.
Speaker 3: No one is gonna no one is gonna pop into your house and say, okay, now you're allowed. You just it's not gonna happen. And I don't think anyone thinks, of course, like logistically that's actually gonna happen. But it's kind of like we're all waiting for the right time. I don't I'll wait until i have more money, or I'll wait until I have more time, or I'll wait until my partner makes more money so they can support me doing my art. And it just there's never the perfect circumstance, and so we have to trust in that yearning that like desire for ourselves and give ourselves permission to chase it. Maybe you can't quit your job today, maybe you never quit your job, but can you do one small thing in the direction of that life that you're craving. And So when I say be your own hype gal or hype pal, it's you gotta give yourself permission first, and then recognize that, like, if you're really excited about an idea and you're gonna tell somebody about it, they're probably not going to get it. Or if they get it, they're not going to be as excited as you because it's your idea. So maybe you have an idea for a painting, or like I have this idea for I ask the pinata question. I want to do these paper mache like representations of the pinata answers that people give me. And the crucifix with pomegranate seeds would be an incredible one to make, I think. But in explaining a lot of my creative ideas, I'm watching people's eyes glaze over and they're like, you know, they want to be excited for me, but they don't get it. And so I think in the past I would have been like, oh, yeah, I probably shouldn't do that because like, oh, it didn't make sense to them. And now I'm like, I have to make it. People need to see it, yeah, first to understand it. And even if they don't understand it or like it, I made it because the process of making it was important to me. So it's like we have to remove that that design, hire for permission and expectation that like everyone's going to be as stoked as we are for our practices. It's just not going to happen. Like, yes, we'll have people that are are our hype squad, and I will be one of them. I will enthusiastically support when someone's telling me about a project, but we got to do it for ourselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, thank you, thank you. Yes, it's it's I don't know. It's just a really in the times or in the spaces where it seems quiet, where you get lonely as an artist, no matter what, like those those those those spaces there, and and remember in that prioritized play is also an audiobook. I heard, yeah he did. He did the audio.
Speaker 3: I did the audio. It was so much fun. I loved it. There are parts, I mean, like I you know you've read the book. I I wrote it very much in my voice, and so it made a lot of sense for me to read it. And I'm glad that I got the opportunity. I don't think that's always the case with authors. And I just had a blast. I was like, can I do this as a job, Like can I can I be reading other people's audio books? Because I think my enthusiasm comes across in the recording and there are things like I wrote like boo hiss, And then the director, the audio director was like, do you want to actually like hiss? And I was like, yeah, I really, I really do want to actually just hiss into the microphone. So it was a blast. I loved it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my next iteration. I love. I love audio books. That actually became fascinated by my listening stats, Like I checked, I've been listening like audio books. It was on Audible since like twenty fifteen, and I checked my stats recently, so it's like eleven years. But for seven months of those eleven years, I was listening to the books, which I'm like, that's a pretty good waking time.
Speaker 3: Book.
Speaker 2: So I always enjoy and a lot of times I'll read it into the audio thing because like they you know, uh, so I get my next audio book is Rachel Verney reads Prioritized Play and hisses I uh, I'm I was excited. I think I had seen something there and I saw I was like, ah, because I always like, you know, it's not always feasible of what have you for you know, for them to produce an an audio book and and and of course there's an interactivity type of thing, you know, like you know, like like for me the tac tile, I want to experience both. But for me, the tac tile and the fact that like getting in the book and writing on it. And I would say too, like I found myself like really and I'm saying messing with like like a little bit more of like like coloring in like your illustrations and stuff like that. Just kind of like a lot of like tactile stuff that uh was very inviting and which is why every single listener is interested in art and interested in in play. You really need to get Prioritized play. Rachel Renee, I do have a big question, which is the titular name of the of the podcast and might be like a bit more encompassing and everything we talked about. But I'm asking you why is there something rather than nothing?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Why is why is there something rather than nothing? Oh?
Speaker 3: What a great? What a great question? Because we make something, we make we can we have the opportunity to make something out of every experience rather than allowing ourselves to not yeah, experience anything.
Speaker 2: Oh you got it in that short amount of time. Wow, that's incredible. That's absolutely incredible.
Speaker 3: I'm at the end.
Speaker 2: Ah sick. I mean six sink is beautiful thing perfectly time mic drop, I get it all. It's it's not for me. Usually it's like what are we doing with dart? We're playing and shooting the ship and talking about stuff. That's that's fun. Where do people find all all all all your stuff books or podcasts, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh so everything. You can get access to everything through my website, which is Rachel Renee dot com and it's both names are spelled the non traditional way, so it's r a c h a E l r e n a e dot com. And my Instagram is the same Rachel Renee, where I'm sharing little little clips and tips and stuff and just parts about my life, you know, living this prioritized play lifestyle. But you can get info about the book, about the podcast about my online community which is called the Juice Box because I talk about living a big, juicy life all around. Yeah, all on my website. So yeah, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Rachel in uh uh in. Even on the book with the with the picture of your outfit on fleek and everything, just everybody.
Speaker 3: Knows is one of the dresses that I put on when I'm trying to feel good.
Speaker 2: You got you got you got it, So everybody I I I just truly as you can tell, Rachel, it's it's it's great. It's great to talk with you. Thanks for putting this book out there. I think, you know, if people get out of pen or a pencil or or ask, you know, answer funny questions or with their friends and stuff, I think like people are just on the path of doing something different, even if they just want to like like disrupt the norm. I think a lot of things we talked about or is like the momentum of how you're supposed to live right and everybody has that, and what's the job and you're thinking, you think, oh, engineering, you know, and pays really well and you're smart and you can do it. So if you're smart, can do it. Then you think, well that's what I'm supposed to do, and then you're like, well I can do it. But there's so many other type of things. So yeah, thanks, thanks for thanks, thanks for your for your courage in in in the book and listeners. I can't recommend it enough. And again, as we talked about, there's even an audio version if that's your if that's your pleasure, absolutely prioritize play. Rachel, thanks for coming on to the podcast, Thanks for your podcast in creativity, and you rock. What can I say?
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. This was such a lovely conversation. Thank you for inviting me and and yeah getting to have just a fun conversation about it. It was perfect.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Hell yeah, talk to you soon.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll do
Speaker 1: This is something rather than nothing.