Speaker 1: Imagine this. You're on a plane right thirty thousand feet up and there's this little kid, maybe four years old, gaming device in hand, turns to their mom and asks, mom, does the plane have Wi Fi?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That moment, it just perfectly sums up how well, how completely essential Wi Fi is. Now. It's just part of the fabric of life.
Speaker 2: It really is. The kid isn't thinking about the tech behind it, just yeah, does my world work? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Or not exactly. And today we're doing a deep dive into what's next for that invisible essential tech Wi Fi seven also known technically as the eight h two point one to one BB protocol. And look, this isn't just about you know, faster Netflix streams. It's a pretty fundamental shift in how our devices connect and well interact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big shift.
Speaker 1: So our mission today, drawing from this really comprehensive guide Wi Fi seven in Depth, is basically to give you the inside track all the important stuff, the surprising bits about what's coming for wireless fast tract.
Speaker 2: For you, distilling it down right.
Speaker 1: So what's the big promise here, Well, WiFi seven is designed for way more capacity, some really new ways to handle interference, better reliability, definitely and maybe the biggest thing more predictable lower latency connections.
Speaker 2: That predictability piece is key, it really is.
Speaker 1: It's like way more than just a speed bump. It's a foundational evolution.
Speaker 2: It's striking how quickly the demands on Wi Fi just exploded. Yeah, you know that's what pushed us here. Yeah, we went from just needing to connect like more devices to suddenly needing to connect countless devices and not just connect them, but connect them with really specific demanding needs.
Speaker 1: You're absolutely right. I mean Wi Fi six that was eight hone two point of an X that was all about high efficiency for high density.
Speaker 2: Wasn't it high efficiency? Yeah?
Speaker 1: It brought in clever stuff like OFDMA, which I guess you could think of it like letting lots of cars share one highway lane at the exact same time, each in its own little slot instead of lining up.
Speaker 2: That's a decent analogy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It slices up the channel and BSS coloring too, like giving different now works unique color code, so your device ignores the neighbors noise. Right, reducing that digital shouting mac right.
Speaker 2: Helped sort out the signals and crowded areas. There's a big step for supporting more clients per network, per BSS, and yet still not enough, not even close. The demand just kept skyrocketing. This densification thing wasn't just you know, more laptops and phones. It was this huge wave of IoT devices, surveillance cameras, industrial robots, all the smart home stuff like door bells, watches, even connected scales and treadmills.
Speaker 1: Huh, everything's connected pretty much.
Speaker 2: And beyond that there was the rise of mission critical operational technology OT stuff that didn't just need a connection, it needed rock solid reliability, deterministic performance.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense, and that ties into the other huge driver, right, this massive shift towards real time interactions exactly. We're way past the days where you know, waiting half a second for a video buffer.
Speaker 2: Was fine, totally acceptable back then.
Speaker 1: Now it's all about real time, day, high volume, super strict latency, think video conferencing. It became totally essential, didn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, Pandemics sealed that deal.
Speaker 1: And if the throughput wasn't consistent, you got that awful pixelization or the resolution dropping over those little audio clicks and drops drives you nuts.
Speaker 2: And in dense places you had that really annoying headline blocking issue, right, explain that. So imagine like a kid starts up an online game, uses a lot of bandwidth suddenly, and bam, their parents really important video calls starts stuttering or freezing. That new high demand traffic could just clabber the existing connection quality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we've all been there, But.
Speaker 2: Even that pales compared to the demands of extended reality xrs. That's ARVR, mixed reality headsets.
Speaker 1: Right, the immersive stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those need a huge throughput, but with incredibly low and incredibly consistent delays. We're talking four K even eight K stereo video at one hundred and twenty frames per second. Wow.
Speaker 1: And the guide it really spells up the consequences if the network hiccups. There. It's not just annoying pixelation.
Speaker 2: No, it's serious. It says the user may lose their balance and fall or lose the object of focus.
Speaker 1: WHOA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a network glitch isn't just irritating. It can be physically disorienting or even dangerous. That kind of delay is just totally unacceptable for XR. It breaks the whole experience.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the demands just kept piling up. More devices, more real time needs, mission critical stuff, crazy XR demands. Wi Fi was getting stretched.
Speaker 2: Thin fris to its limits.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it became clear faster wasn't the only answer. We needed predictable, We needed reliable, especially under all that pressure.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and that's really the core problem wi Fi seven was designed to solve, which leads us to its really game changing innovations.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get into those. What's the first big one?
Speaker 2: Okay, so number one has to be multi link operation MLO. Now, before MLO, your access point, your AP, it would basically advertise each radio band two point four gig of five gig, six gig as kind of separate network, separate aps.
Speaker 1: Right, and your phone or laptop, but just pick one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pick one to connect to you, usually based on just like the signal strength.
Speaker 1: It'saw first, which okay, I know this one that led to the dreaded sticky client problem. Right then go exactly, your device hangs onto that slower two point four gigglehertz connection for dear life, even if there's a perfectly good, much faster five or six gigahertz signal right there from the.
Speaker 2: Same router, super common, super frustrating, it congested the slow bands left the fast bands underused and just gave you a worse experience overall.
Speaker 1: So how does MLO fix that?
Speaker 2: Okay, So MLO flips the script completely. It lifts a single client device now called a multilink device or MLD, connect to multiple radios or links on an APMLD at the same time simultaneously.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, multiple links at once, right.
Speaker 2: And the whole connection process authentication association that now happens at this MLD level using something called a basic mL element. It basically simplifies the whole thing for the user. You just connect to one network entity.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. So the big insight here is like a double benefit. You get more speed because you're using multiple lanes, multiple.
Speaker 2: Ban aggregate throughput. Yeah, that's a big.
Speaker 1: Part and also much better robustness. Like if one link gets crowded or hits interference, exactly.
Speaker 2: Your device can dynamically shift some or even all of its traffic over to another clearer link instantly without needing to drop the connection and completely reconnect.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's huge, especially for businesses. Right, Like if an AP needs a reboot or a software update, or just needs to balance.
Speaker 2: The load, MLO allows for that dynamic reconfiguration, adding or removing links on the fly without that disruptive reassociation process. It's vital in enterprise settings.
Speaker 1: Cool, So MLO is a big one. What else is fundamental in Wi Fi seven?
Speaker 2: Well, moving down to the physical layer, the phy layer, there's some really serious upgrades there too. Wider channels. We're talking at three hundred and twenty middles wide channels now mostly available up in that nice roomy six gigahertz band. That just massively increases the highway size for data.
Speaker 1: Double the width of the widest Wi Fi six channels right exactly.
Speaker 2: And they've also cranked up the modulation density significantly.
Speaker 1: Okay, modulation density, that's like how much data you pack into each signal Precisely.
Speaker 2: Wi Fi six topped out at one in twenty four QM, Wi Fi seven leaps to forty ninety six QAM.
Speaker 1: Four times the points. I remember seeing that comparison. It's like an artist having way more colors to paint with.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. Yeah, forty ninety six distinct signal states compared to ten twenty four. Each little signal pulse can carry twelve bits of data instead of ten so that's.
Speaker 1: A twenty percent increase in raw data rate just from the modulation.
Speaker 2: Yep, a straight twenty percent bump. But there's a.
Speaker 1: Catch, always a cat it.
Speaker 2: Needs a really clean signal, very strong, very low noise. You won't get forty ninety six qam speeds unless the connection is basically pristine.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Higher fidelity needs better conditions. What about that six giga HITZ band itself. You mentioned it's key for the wide channels.
Speaker 2: Right, So important to note it has two main power levels. There's low Power Indoor LPI for typical home and office use, okay, and then there's standard power sp which allows for higher power crucially for outdoor use or larger venues.
Speaker 1: But don't hire power signals risk interfering with other things already using that six gig HURT spectrum, like satellite links or point to point microwave.
Speaker 2: Good question, Yes they do. That's where the Automated Frequency Coordinator or ASC system comes in. It's mandatory for standard power operation AFC.
Speaker 1: What does that do?
Speaker 2: It's basically a database system that tells the outdoor Wi Fi seven aps which specific frequencies they can use in their exact location and what power level to avoid interfering with those existing incumbent users. It ensures peaceful coexistence.
Speaker 1: Clever. Okay. One feature in the guide that really jumped out at me was preamble puncturing. Sounds painful but useful.
Speaker 2: Huh. Yeah, the name's a bit traumatic, but the concept is actually really smart and intuitive. Like you said, so, how's it work? Okay, So imagine you want to use a nice wide eighty megahertz channel before Wi Fi seven. If even a small chunk of that channel, say just twenty megaherds of it, was busy with some other signal or interference, the whole.
Speaker 1: Eighty megaherts channel was basically unusable. You had to drop down to something much narrower.
Speaker 2: Exactly, You'd be forced down to maybe just twenty megahertz, losing a ton of potential speed. Preamble puncturing, let's the device say, Okay, that little twenty megoherd slice is busy, fine, I'll just puncture it, basically ignore it, and I'll transmit on the rest of the eighty mega huts channel to clear parts.
Speaker 1: Ah, so you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. It's like, uh, finding a small pothole on a highway lane and just steering around it instead of closing the whole lane.
Speaker 2: Perfect analogy, that's exactly it. You utilize the spectrum much more efficiently even when there's minor interference.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes total sense. So the core insight here is really that Wi Fi seven isn't just making the pipe wider with three hundred and twenty megahertz channels, it's also packing way more data in with forty ninety six QAM and getting much smarter about using the bandwidth has even navigating around interference with puncturing.
Speaker 2: The combination is key. Yeah, it's what unlocks the capacity for those really demanding high fidelity real time experiences, especially when things get crowded.
Speaker 1: Right, and speaking of real time, that brings us to quality of service QoS, making performance predictable.
Speaker 2: Yes, and this was another area needing a serious overhaul. Remember we mentioned how critical predictable latency is. Well, the old standard for QoS a POH two point one one Ease Traffic Specification or TSPEC. It's just way too complicated. How so, it required applications to specify something like fifteen different traffic parameters to describe their needs. Minimum this maximum that averaged something else. It was so complex that almost nobody actually implemented or used it.
Speaker 1: So applications needing reliable performance were basically just what shouting their needs into the void and hoping for the best.
Speaker 2: Pretty much. Yeah, there wasn't a practical way for say, your video call app to tell the Wi Fi network, hey, I need this much bandwidth consistently with this maximum delay.
Speaker 1: So Wi Fi seven fixes this.
Speaker 2: It introduces something much simpler. It's called the Stream Classification Service SCS uses a quality of Service Characteristics element or QC. Much easier.
Speaker 1: How much easier.
Speaker 2: It boils it down to just four key parameters minimum maximum service interval, minimum data rate, and crucially delay bound.
Speaker 1: Oh just four okay, much more practical.
Speaker 2: Now applications can actually signal their real time needs to the network in a standardized way. So your video call can say I need xmbps with less than y milliseconds delay, and the Wi Fi seven network can actually understand and try to deliver that.
Speaker 1: Which should drastically cut down on those annoying drops and glitches for real time stuff.
Speaker 2: That's the goal, and to really help nail that predictable latency, there's another feature called restricted TWT.
Speaker 1: R T T TT.
Speaker 2: It was target wake time right for saving battery.
Speaker 1: Right, but RTWT builds on that. It provides enhanced channel access protection and basically lets the AP reserve specific scheduled times slots on the airwaves for critical traffic.
Speaker 2: Like reserving a private, guaranteed fast lane on the highway for your important.
Speaker 1: Data exactly like that scheduled dedicated airtime. And there's also EPCs Priority Access, which lets the AP fine tune channel access rules the EDCA parameters to give even more priority to certain types of traffic, ensuring the really critical stuff gets through first. Okay, so Wi Fi seven is tackling reliability and predictability head on. But the evolution doesn't stop there, right, what's cooking for Wi Fi eight and beyond?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the roadmap keeps going. Two really interesting areas are localization figuring out where devices are and RF sensing.
Speaker 1: Okay, localization, we've had some form of that for a while, haven't we based on signal strength?
Speaker 2: We have, yeah, the old RSSI based method, but it was pretty crude. Accuracy was maybe ten to twenty meters and easily confused. How so, Well, things like walls block Wi Fi signals. Right, a simple wall might knock the signal down by six decibels to the system that looked like the device that suddenly doubled its distance from the AP. Not very reliable, right.
Speaker 1: Not great for pinpointing things.
Speaker 2: No, that's why fine timing measurement or FtM, introduced back in eight oh two point one V was a big step up FtM.
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 2: It's much smarter. It actually measures the time it takes for the radio signal to travel between the device and the AP, back and forth. Since we know the speed of light, you can calculate the distance much more accurately.
Speaker 1: Okay, speed of light timing? What kind of accuracy? Did FtM get.
Speaker 2: Us down to? Maybe two to four meters? Much better useful for general location within a building.
Speaker 1: But things are getting even more precise.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the upcoming amendments eight hundred two point one to one AS and eight to two point one one AKK. They're aiming for submeter accuracy first maybe one two meters, then pushing down to less than a one meters, less.
Speaker 1: Than a meter. Wow, what's the use case for that level of precision?
Speaker 2: Well, the guide gives examples like imagine a warehouse worker scanner knowing if it's in their left hand.
Speaker 1: Or right hand seriously, yeah.
Speaker 2: Or finding a specific small box of as on a store shelf telling you it's, you know, thirty centimeters to your right. The kind of fine grained location awareness that's incredible.
Speaker 1: But you also mentioned are up sensing That sounds different.
Speaker 2: It is different and maybe even more profound. This is coming with eight ohto two point one point one BF. The idea here is using the Wi Fi signals themselves, almost.
Speaker 1: Like radar radar to see thing, to detect.
Speaker 2: The presence or absence and even the movement of people or objects in the environment, even if those people or objects aren't carrying a Wi Fi device themselves.
Speaker 1: WHOA Okay, that is mind bending. How how detailed can that sensing get? What kind of movement are we talking?
Speaker 2: It depends heavily on the bandwidth of the Wi Fi signal being used, So like a standard twenty meyor Hurtz channel, it can probably detect course movements, maybe someone walking around within seven point five meters or so, but jump up to a three hundred and twenty menti hertz channel in the six gigahertz band like Wi Fi seven uses, the resolution improves dramatically down to maybe fifty centimeters half a meter. You could detect someone shift position in a chair, get them pretty precise. And then if you move up into the millimeter wave bands like fifty seven to seventy one gigahertz, where you can get channel bandwidths of say one point seven six gigaherts, Okay, the potential resolution gets down about seventeen centimeters.
Speaker 1: Seventeen centimeters, that's tiny. What can you see with that?
Speaker 2: Potentially really subtle movements like detecting hand gestures in the air, finger movements, maybe even breathing patterns.
Speaker 1: Wow, that opens up completely new ways to interact with technology, doesn't It Like controlling things with gestures without needing a camera or systems responding just to your presence exactly.
Speaker 2: The environment itself becomes interactive. It's a huge paradigm shift potentially.
Speaker 1: Okay, with all this incredibly precise location tracking and now sensing people's movements, even breathing price the alarms are going off in my.
Speaker 2: Head, and they should be. It's a massive consideration. We've already seen steps taken with things like randomized MN addresses RCM on our devices today.
Speaker 1: Right, the MD address randomization. Why did that become a thing.
Speaker 2: Well, there's the dote about the j Loo effect, the idea, maybe apocryphal, that celebrities were being tracked through stores by their phones unique may addresses, pinging the store Wi fi ah.
Speaker 1: So randomization was to stop that kind of tracking by making your device look different each time it connects, or.
Speaker 2: Probe exactly, to prevent easy tracking of individuals across different locations or even within your own home network by outside observers breaking that linkability.
Speaker 1: But that creates a new problem, doesn't it. If your device always looks new, how does your own network recognize you for things like I don't know parental controls or troubleshooting or giving you the right access.
Speaker 2: That's the core challenge eight poh two point one to one d buy is trying to tackle. It's this balancing act between user privacy not being easily trackable, and necessary network operability.
Speaker 1: How does it try to solve that.
Speaker 2: It's looking at ways to sort of obviously skate the tracking elements while still allowing network's mechanisms to recognize returning devices for legitimate purposes. It's complex, and it might even mean breaking backward compatibility with older devices that don't support these new privacy methods.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a really tricky tightrope to walk.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is, because if you connect this sensing capability back, the potential utility is amazing, but the privacy implications are equally significant. The standard's bodies are trying to grapple with this proactively, but it's an ongoing challenge.
Speaker 1: Okay, And looking even further ahead Wi Fi eight, are there other big directions emerging?
Speaker 2: Yeah? A couple other areas mentioned are MULTIAP coordination or MAPC.
Speaker 1: MULTIAP like multiple access points working together better.
Speaker 2: Exactly, especially really dense environments like stadiums are large offices. Instead of each AP just managing its own little bubble, MAPC aims for them to coordinate much more intelligently, almost like a single distributed brain, optimizing the whole network. Think of it like a real time dynamic bandwidth system for the entire venue.
Speaker 1: More efficiency, more deterministic performance in those tough spots.
Speaker 2: Right. And another one is adapting an IET standard called L four S Low latency, low loss, scalable throughput for Wi Fi L fours.
Speaker 1: What's the focus there?
Speaker 2: It's all about aggressively reducing network delay and jitter. That variation in delay especially critical for those super delay sensitive ARVR x our applications we talked about. It tries to bring some Layer three congestion control principles down into the Layer two Wi Fi interaction between the AP and the device and.
Speaker 1: Making sure that critical data gets there exactly when it needs to, reliably precisely.
Speaker 2: Every millisecond counts for those applications.
Speaker 1: The implications here are just huge. Yeah, it feels like the future of Wi Fi isn't just about faster downloads anymore. It's about the network understanding its environment, understanding application needs, and responding in real time.
Speaker 2: It's becoming much more intelligent, much more context to wear a truly transformative vision.
Speaker 1: So okay, let's wrap up this deep dive. It's really clear that Wi Fi seven is way, way more than just another speed bump. What's more, it's this really sophisticated leap forward in efficiency, in reliability, and responsiveness. It feels like it's truly engineered to meet these intense demands of our modern world. All the IoT clutter, the real time interactions, the immersive XR stuff. It's not just trying to keep up anymore. It feels like it's actually getting ahead of the.
Speaker 2: Curve, yeah, providing the foundation for what comes.
Speaker 1: Next exactly, which leaves us and you with maybe a final provocative thought to chew on. What kind of completely new human computer interactions might emerge when our networks can sense us as accurately when they can detect our breathing or our finger movements in the air. And what are the privacy challenges we haven't even thought of yet when the very environment around us becomes this well interactive Wi Fi canvas