Speaker 1: Welcome to teen Girl Talk Dean Girl Talk.
Speaker 2: I'm Cezdakota, I'm Frankingcota, and this week we are why two k Ookie.
Speaker 3: We are what definitely would have happened if a bunch of it people did not do their jobs twenty four years ago.
Speaker 1: Wait, so you're saying this is like true.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so here's the thing. The Y two K bug was a real thing. The reason it didn't happen is because a lot of people work their butts off for a long time to make sure sure it didn't happen, Like and they're like unsung heroes, where like, yeah, no, this definitely would have been a problem. But just like just think about, like, yeah, maybe like a quarter of what we have now machinery machinery wise or computer wise, and just imagine the insane number of computers we have now to buy that by far, and then imagine having to update each one of those individually because dial up is terrible.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can see why they're unsung. This math is boring.
Speaker 4: So I'm glad.
Speaker 1: That it didn't happen.
Speaker 5: But oh so I feel like if we were using the two thousands as a scope for what's to come, was it worth saving?
Speaker 1: It was a bad time.
Speaker 3: As somebody who lived through the two thousands, I'm gonna agree with you.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do. Like when.
Speaker 5: They fast forward to five years and everyone stressed like a Strokes fan, I was like, this is also accurate.
Speaker 3: Okay, before we get into it, I'm gonna say we both recommend this movie. There is a major spoiler, especially if you're one of us who lived through this time was young during this time. There is a major spoiler that I don't want to give away.
Speaker 1: Most people know that this happened like in the movie. But I agree.
Speaker 2: So if you're interested in the movie with no spoilers, please like off now and come back. Otherwise, I think we should get right into it, because.
Speaker 3: What's up, well exactly, say, like, did you, Beckon, I was fourteen when this was happening, you were sixteen? Did you have any worries about like Y two K like that New Year's Eve?
Speaker 5: No, Okay, I feel like it was like a thing that Crackpot's worried about.
Speaker 3: Just like just like that that guy who kept calling in the world was gonna end, and then when it didn't happen, a bunch of people, well he's like oh, it's actually fifty four days from now. Then it didn't happen again, and it's just like, come on, man, we all know it's not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: But I read a book about QAnon where there was a guy who got sucked into QAnon because he was originally a doomsdayer.
Speaker 5: And that kept not happening, and because QAnon also like part of their edict was there will be a reckoning. He's like, okay, you're speaking my language. And then once he stepped out of like doomsday fundamentalism and QAnon, he's like, oh, I was just in this very insular space where people were grifting.
Speaker 1: Me and that's a shame.
Speaker 2: And they in the book I was reading about this, he has like once he moves into non QAnon life and has like a non q Andon girlfriend, he basically.
Speaker 1: Like has to come out to her.
Speaker 5: More like he doesn't have to, he chooses to, like in the most brief way, like she was not aware that QAnon was a thing, and he's kind.
Speaker 4: Of like, oh, have you seene And she's like what that stuff?
Speaker 1: Get out of here? And he was like, ah, I know, really wacky.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, his entire life fell a hard around QAnon, which is unfortunate, but he made it down and he seems more or less fine now. But I feel like it's the same kind of vibe as there's like one It's like a throwaway line in Y two K where they're in like a seven eleven quick stop sort of equivalent, and a man is complaining about there not being enough non perishables. But I think he's his perishables. But the thing is, if you believed Y two K is gonna happen, you'd be stocking up non perishables.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 5: I thought that was a nice brief nod because no one really talks.
Speaker 1: About like the Singularity until it happens.
Speaker 5: Yeah in the film, like and then all of a sudden a character is like, oh, it's the Singularity.
Speaker 3: So I wanted I was gonna say my reaction to it was I was like, well maybe, and instead I was like, you know what, Well, everything happens going to happen. I went to bed at like nine o'clock.
Speaker 2: That night, and when I was sixteen, I don't remember what I did for New Year's I.
Speaker 4: Maybe went to a sleepover.
Speaker 5: I really don't remember. This is how much of an impact it had on me. I think I was hanging out with my best friend in high school who I'm.
Speaker 1: Still friends with, so it but yeah, I don't I don't remember being worried. I feel like MTV was still a big and MTV probably had like a year's countdown and we watched that. I don't know, nothing exciting, I'm.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, okay, So we start this movie with a sound that is very familiar to me is the sound of AOL locking up, like finding the Internet death really holding on to it and sounding like a robot going through a blender.
Speaker 5: So for me, the sort of Pavlobbyian response was to the aim messenger tone, like when you get a message. I like felt that in my soul. I was like, oh, because that was like the way like when I was in school, because we never had internet and has growing up, so like the first time I had daily access to internet, like where I slept was college, so you know, like flirting plans friends at other schools, like that was my lifeline because it was pre cell phones.
Speaker 3: So subtweeting with your away message.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mostly use song lyrics to prove just like how relevant and cool I was all the time. I never really had beef, so there was no reason to you know, I guess subtweet Twitter was not a thing yet.
Speaker 1: But okay.
Speaker 2: What is funny is immediately when they're messaging and he says lo, I was like, Lowell wasn't a thing. Ruffell was a thing. Lmao was a thing. Lowell was not a thing back then.
Speaker 3: I feel like it was.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was.
Speaker 2: Well, Frank, I will lay the groundwork. Please look up when loll became common.
Speaker 3: Parlance slang history.
Speaker 1: So we have our main character.
Speaker 5: I'm so sorry the cat stepped on my keyboard and navigated away from my cast lists. We have Eli, who looked so familiar. I know he was a child actor, and I'm like, we've definitely watched a thing with him.
Speaker 1: Before, but I do not. I could not recall at the time, So doing some on the spot.
Speaker 3: Okay, So while you're looking, while you're looking that up, I found my thing. Okay. According to BBC dot Com, lol was added to the Oxford ENGOs Dictionary in twenty eleven, but the origin of the phrase can be traced back to the nineteen eighties. The dictionary points to an electronic newsletter from the International Photo Net Association dated May eighth, nineteen eighty nine. LOL is listed in a section of online slang called mo icons Please. It appears to be the earliest use of lull on record.
Speaker 1: Okay, I stand corrected.
Speaker 6: So Eli was in the IT movies Knives Out and the actor's name is Jayden Martel, so I had seen him in the IT movies and his best friend it's.
Speaker 2: Played by Julian Dennison, who I know from Oh God, It's that movie that made me cry, who.
Speaker 5: Goes into the wood hunt for the Wilder People, and he's in Deadpool too, very funny. So they are bfs.
Speaker 4: They call each other sticky bros.
Speaker 1: Which I do not get.
Speaker 5: Like, so I feel like I didn't catch Eli's name for like a little bit in the beginning of the movie because they kept calling each other sticky. And it's very much like that high school bro relationship where they found a condom in a library book they keep exchanging it with one another. Uh, Like it's this sort of holy grail and I'm like, Dyll insisted that I mentioned in the phrase Chekhov's condom in this episode.
Speaker 1: Because it is. But with that, I must offer the caveat that.
Speaker 2: I was so scared someone was going to use this raggy ass like dentid condom.
Speaker 1: I was like, that kind of definitely has tears in it.
Speaker 3: Okay, So here's the thing they mentioned. It was in a copy of The Giver at the library. What is the story? Like, I want to know the story of this condom, Like.
Speaker 1: Where the difference between the Gift and the guyber?
Speaker 3: Okay. The Giver is a book about a dystopian future where knowledge is locked away for the betterment in quotes of the people except for one person who gets to hold onto it. Uh. And in the movie the person before the there's a Giver, and then there's a giver in training, and the giver in training before the one in the book and slash movie was Taylor Swift. And then she asked herself to be killed off screen. I'm not lying. That's what actually happens in the movie. Taylor Swift has a bad run, like has a run of being killed in movies, like she was in that movie Amsterdam where they shut her into traffic.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's very graphic. It was too much. It was shocking.
Speaker 3: And then, if I remember correctly, in Valentine's day she writes a bomb into a major metropolitan city like Doctor Strangelove.
Speaker 1: Uh, that I don't remember.
Speaker 3: But the guver if I know what you're talking, if I think, if I think you're talking about the correct thing, manga and anime and live action played by Mark Hamill where a man gains bio armor and fights a bunch of monsters.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll take your word for it.
Speaker 5: I just I just thought when people were saying the guiver, they were saying the giver weird, and then I was like, maybe these are two different things.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so whe the boys are planning to have Okay, Eli is suffering from what I call like everybody hates this kid for no good goddamn reason. Like the kids and hit, the little kids in his neighborhood hate him. Everybody has school, hates him like he is so.
Speaker 1: Not a thing, Like he's very mild.
Speaker 5: Yeah, his best friend is like way more polarizing. Danny is way more polarizing in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Just imagine a man. Just imagine somebody pulling in a plate of fish sticks and yelling, go fuck yourselves. And that's basically every's attitude towards this young man, Like it's like who cares like he's not a thing. He's not that angry. He doesn't say anything out of line. But anyway, he has a crush on a girl played by Rachel Ziegler. Her name's Lucy. She's a hacker destroyed in air and she makes little flash panels of her little flashlimations of herself beating people up at her school, which definitely would have gotten her and in school suspension back in our day. She's like, hope nobody clicks on this one basketball on the school's website. And I'm like, tuche, I think she wants people to click on the basketball.
Speaker 5: I mean, she's clearly popular. She's coded as popular. There is like a protractednversation about how she's popular later in the movie.
Speaker 1: So Eli is.
Speaker 5: Basically like there's a power imbalance because she on the social hierarchy in school. Eli is at the very bottom and she, Laura is.
Speaker 1: At the top.
Speaker 2: So when she's messaging him about the school's website, this is very important. And she signed her instant messages xoxo. Yeah, like gossip girl.
Speaker 3: So they're trying to parse this out. It's like going over the ubruder film, Eli and Julian are also hassled by a group of wannabe rappers. One of them is dressed like a tiny fred Durst her ash Yeah, play by Lachlan Watson.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: They're a very good actor like because they they do some pretty heavy lifting in this movie.
Speaker 1: Along with Uli.
Speaker 2: Far Gets is played by Eduardo Franco, who I know from Folks Smart and that movie where that guy's ding dong gets cut off and then they're running around with it in a cooler.
Speaker 3: Oh, drive away dolls.
Speaker 1: It's not drive away Well, that happens too.
Speaker 2: This, this entire movie is.
Speaker 5: About them having a ding dong in a cooler. Yeah, I'm going to find it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you are correct, because I'm thinking of is it Gabby's Dollhouse?
Speaker 1: No, the Catastic sampl No, Frank, it's not that.
Speaker 3: I'm just on I'm just on his IMDb. I'm just on Wikipedia. Okay. Now there's a head in a cooler and drive away doll so okay. Anyway, Cassie, Cassie uh Lucy and her friends Rabas seven to eleven equivalent. The boys decide that they're gonna get like rowdy tonight. They're gonna drink and have fun. So they start drinking. They also have uh that seventy show like dioramas they've made, including various action figures being the group from that so any show. Like they keep saying we're gonna live like Kelso tonight and just like Kelso is very dumb and hurt himself a lot. So they go to this party. Uh they filled up a water bottle full of vodka. And Eli is not being successful at this party. He keeps getting bothered by Soccer Chris.
Speaker 5: Okay, the fact that he calls him soccer Chris is so amazing it.
Speaker 3: Okay, So here's the thing about this movie. This is so like.
Speaker 2: They got every all the package and I'm wrong, that's not the same actor.
Speaker 3: Okay, but they whoever did the like like we've seen movies where it's just like nobody paid attention. You know, there's anachronistic stuff going on, like they didn't bother to give a personality to any part of this child's bedroom or not child's bedroom, to this teenager's bedroom. Everything.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: Everything feels dead and lifeless. Not this movie, this part like Kyle Mooney and whoever did the set dressing they were in it. They knew what was happening. They are so dead on in this move everything. Oh yeah. Kyle Mooney plays Garrett in this movie, a friendly stoner.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it's so good because he keeps like when he tells with a story, he keeps pausing.
Speaker 7: It's super awkward everything about it.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I told Frank before we started recording that. On the eight twenty fourth subreddit, there are a lot of dissenting opinions.
Speaker 2: This movie is very polarizing.
Speaker 5: People either love it and are very into the comedy, or they absolutely cannot stand it and they're.
Speaker 1: Like, this so stupid.
Speaker 5: The people who love it, I agree with them that, like, this movie is not setting out to be smart. The gore is ridiculous, and sometimes it is so purposely low budget.
Speaker 2: I was thrilled because, like, I don't like gore.
Speaker 5: And like spoiler, Kyle Mooney's character gets its head chopped off and it's so fake, which is like the only way I can deal with that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: He's a white guy with dreads, like the jokes right themselves, right.
Speaker 5: So he works at the video store and asks if they want to go to the Champagne room.
Speaker 1: And I like leaned over to Jill and.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's the movie section because our video stores had that. There were two video stores. There was a Suncoast and then like just a small business one, but like there was a curtain you had to walk through.
Speaker 1: It was a whole thing.
Speaker 4: And what's funny is there are.
Speaker 2: Certain parts of this movie where I was like, well, I have to assis spend my disbelief.
Speaker 5: So the idea that this video store is so dead on New Year's Eve not realistic.
Speaker 1: It would be very busy.
Speaker 2: This man would be very busy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unless people have gone to the local Blockbuster and are not supporting this because Garrett doesn't seem like the best businessman at all.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's like, hey, my man, I have some of your Twizzlers. It's like, no, they're prepacked, arre cool, already opening them.
Speaker 5: I think the other part is, apparently, and I only found this out in the last couple of years or so, Blockbuster edited their movies to make them more family friendly. If I'm renting a movie, I do not want big brother Blockbuster deciding what I, an adult can and can't watch.
Speaker 3: Yes, So the thing is with your going off of like movie content. I can kind of understand why the A twenty four subreddit does not care for this movie is because it's this movie feels very not by the numbers, but it is like it follows a pretty standard plot line, you know, like I do think characters are killed out of order for like like a horror.
Speaker 1: Movie spoiler Danny died.
Speaker 2: I was like, it is so early in the movie for this character to.
Speaker 3: Die, yeah, and like, yeah, sorry, you did make me remember how bonkers that was.
Speaker 1: It was shocking.
Speaker 3: But the thing is, I think like everybody is so used to A twenty four films just being so weird and like like off center that like when something seems even a little bit just going down the bean path, like it throws their cackles up a little bit. I mean, I'm not sure. I'm not I no, no.
Speaker 2: No, Frank, I agree with you. I think that there's this like thing about prestige film. But there's also this like sex of people on the subreddit who are like A twenty four is a distribution company. They're not like a package like particular directors or particular you know, art directors or directors of photography.
Speaker 1: They are.
Speaker 5: A studio that distributes and like works with particular directors, but they're not they are not creating the content.
Speaker 1: So whoever decided to buy y two K I think they did a good job.
Speaker 2: I think this fits in. I also liked Bodies Bodies Bodies, which is the same sort of kind of like lo fi, much more about the jokes, the characters, very tongue in cheeks, super campy.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: These are the things I like about these horror movies because again, I'm not in it for.
Speaker 5: Like realistic bloodsprey, no thank you. I think that they're offering something different. If people don't like that, that's totally okay. Yeah, but I think this is the way that we.
Speaker 1: Get new and interesting films is people try stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like A twenty four has always seemed to be just like we are. As long as it is a kookie and weird will take it, you know, like, and I think that's great. I think that's what gives them such such a great catalog.
Speaker 5: You know, I hate Good Time and it's a Robbert Pattinson movie where.
Speaker 2: He plays like a horrible man.
Speaker 1: People love that film.
Speaker 2: I actually walked out, like I have no idea what happens in the last fifteen minutes of that movie, because I was like, I don't like this. I'm not having fun, I'm not enjoying it. Meanwhile, uncut Gems, I'll watch that a million times in a row.
Speaker 1: I love that movie.
Speaker 5: So like it all comes down to a personal taste, and I'm not gonna say that my taste is like you.
Speaker 1: Know, the end all the Beatle, But.
Speaker 5: I get I feel like Y two K is in the vein of stuff that makes me laugh, Like there's a lot of things that happened in this movie that made me like tackle laugh.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I I went to go see it. There's like four other people. I went to see it at three fifty showing on a Monday.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: We were at a ten fifteen on a Sunday and we were the only two people in our theater.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the people behind me were just like, we can have full conversations at full volume.
Speaker 1: Right right, Oh, you didn't move.
Speaker 3: I would have moved so that there's nowhere to move, Like.
Speaker 1: What do you mean you said, there's three people in your theater.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they were like all the way in the back, but they were still talking at full volume. But anyway, and like I was laughing harder than both of them combined, so I went in the end, okay, So yeah, they get the Danny starts letting loose at this party. He performs the song song, which I still hate. I've never liked that song.
Speaker 1: Did you stay for the after credits?
Speaker 3: Yes? And then like, you know, Eli is trying to hang out with Lucy Laura. What are you calling her? Lucy? What's going on in my brain today? And like she's just like, oh, yeah, you know, this is fine, it's fun. The Danny tells a story where he Pete and Eli's coke and Eli drank it. Okay, But when they said the Ocarina incident, I thought, okay, I thought like Eli or one of them had bought They used to sell these like really pretty glass versions of the Akerina from Acarina Time. They are incredibly hard to play, but you're like, oh, yeah, the Aquerina Times is awesome. I thought it was gonna be something like that, where like Eli broke the Aquarina, which is a less embarrassing story but still embarrassing story than drinking peat immediately mouth yeah, So the countdown happens.
Speaker 5: It's this soccer Chris who's like so perfectly a nineties douchebag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then we hear screaming from upstairs where what's her name? Oh uh, Raleigh was in the emmerous beginnings of another young man whose name I can't remember, and he is dead and there's a piece of fan lohed into his face of like ceiling fan.
Speaker 1: They did a lot of like different objects getting lodged in people's skulls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so that is kind of the problem with machines coming to life in this day and age, or in like the two thousands, there weren't any like kill bots or anything, so like maybe a cell phone could roll at you as it like vibrated itself across the table. So they need to figure out ways to kill and apparently the machines are like combining themselves Frankenstein's style into larger machines. And we see a little race car with a tamagatchi and a drill on top of it and it kills somebody. Also early in this movie, this is gonna come up very shortly, Danny was doing Billy Billy Blanks workout with his mom and then it just becomes a slaughterfest where we just see a bunch of teens holding pieces of machinery against themselves. Like, there's one man who's clearly holding a blender against the genitals as he screams as it fills with blood. And I didn't perfectly finding these kills that interesting or funny, so I just you know, Raley gets killed, we're left with Lucy Eli, Danny kills the race car, drill, Tomagotchi robot. Well, if he kicks, this is the only time we'll see anybody actually fight one of these things. I mean, they do become like human, like human size creatures. Let's see, uh is that.
Speaker 2: With they every I thought the most realistic part of the beginning of sort of the kill scenes was everyone is kind of standing around trying to figure out if Rollie killed this man or not, and they're like, she's been on drugs, she definitely.
Speaker 1: Just lost it.
Speaker 2: And then the little Barbie car rolls in with a lighter and hairspray, and one of soccer Chris's friends says.
Speaker 1: I use gel and they get flamethroad. So then like.
Speaker 5: Everyone stands there and watches as the sunfurls, and then everyone screams and takes off and they get into the living room and the living room is just filled with deceased party hours. Now the robots are on a spree. So when our remaining heroes, for lack of better word, lock themselves in the garage, there are different Frankenstein robots trying to get through.
Speaker 1: And we're not entirely well.
Speaker 2: Laura nails it kind of immediately and says, oh, it's a singularity. It's an AI bug that has spread throughout the consciousness of the computers, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Like frank said, like.
Speaker 5: Nails it immediately, and Farcas is like, this is ridiculous, this isn't happening. And after Danny had tiboed that robot and they decide to each arm themselves with a different mode of transportation like bike.
Speaker 2: Roller blades, skateboards. Uh, this is where Danny. I don't know why they're obsessed with this backpack. I guess because the boom box is in it.
Speaker 5: But this is where Danny is killed by an electric knife. And I was genuinely shocked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because like Eli and Eli and Danny are giving big Nick Frost Simon Pegg vibes from Sean of the Dead. Yeah, and you know, like it's well, it's for Sean of the Dead, a movie that came out around this time. Nick Frost's character like makes it to the end. Like that's the conflict that kind of drives this whole film is that like Nick Frost is keeping Simon Pegg from growing up.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And meanwhile we have the opposite where Danny is pushing Eli to like, you know, kind of accept that, like, yeah, maybe your life isn't the perfect the way it is, and like having him get killed is like you know you would. It changes Eli's growth pattern Suddenly he's going to like had to take an entire different way to change throughout this movie.
Speaker 5: So as they emerged, still pointed out a good point when.
Speaker 1: At this point, because I'm gonna stop saying point when they.
Speaker 7: Open the garage door, just like the garage door is a cetical wooden bed.
Speaker 2: And I was like, yell enough, nobody wants your nerd logic in our dumb film.
Speaker 1: So they get outside.
Speaker 2: Marcus immediately dies like.
Speaker 4: Two three feet that's it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Barcas is wearing the roller blades. I thought we were gonna get some bring shit in this. He tries to grind a fall in basketball hoop immediately eats it, hits his head on the ground and dies.
Speaker 1: Uh as shocking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just like because like he's a big like he's a name now, like he's a big name actor, and it's just like nobody's safe. Those rope blades could kill anyone. Okay, So our team now is CJ, Ash, Laura and Eli.
Speaker 5: Their whole thing is that J likes like smart rap, like high intellect rap, and everyone else more or less like mainstream pop or rap rock music. So CJ and Ash are debating the merits of limp Biscuit.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, okay, sorry, I just need to take a moment to describe what Ash is wearing. Ash is wearing a backward backwards baseball.
Speaker 1: Cap, a red Yankees cap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a black tank top, what can only be described as a Guy Fieri style bundown shirt that's open.
Speaker 1: A massive pair of Djenco's jeans, Yes with a wallet Jane.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 5: When they are looking around the party at the different clicks, and they don't bother to name the clicks, We just hear the music that each click is listening to, which is very.
Speaker 2: Much how people define themselves. In the early two thousands, the group is.
Speaker 1: Listening to corn.
Speaker 3: There are swing dancers amazing.
Speaker 8: Ross from Drop Ab did a presentation on Smarty Fans about how there needs to be a swing revival and it was a very hot take.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's as a hot take as Anna's thing of should theater kids be forgiven?
Speaker 5: I haven't seen that one, but like Ross is talking about like zoot suits and squirrelled and zippers and I'm not saying the other name because I hate it, but I'm so glad that the swing revival is not happening somewhere where my tender eyes can see it.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think that, like I think that the band we shall not name might be the worst named band ever, but it's so bad. Okay. Anyway, they're heading to the mill because there's no electricity around it.
Speaker 2: And like some sort of hippie party there. Garrett had invited them and said it would be great because they're rumby drugs, and I love how accurately disappointing this party is.
Speaker 1: When they get there.
Speaker 3: Yes, so they do look out on their city and it's in flames, like the apocalypse. Feels real. Like that's what I what I like about it. It feels real oh, it's called the Collective of.
Speaker 1: Ok So Cringey and Wonderful.
Speaker 3: Like they got their name from one combat.
Speaker 2: Yes, there is a lot of discussion about disc golf, hacky Sack.
Speaker 1: We do see some devil sticks everything.
Speaker 9: And this is where we meet Laura's ex boyfriend, her much valued ex boyfriend, Jonas played by Mason Gooding, who shows up to just be like handsome and.
Speaker 2: Kind of benign.
Speaker 5: And there are general other like hippy guys just hanging out. So Garrett welcomes them in, says it's safe here.
Speaker 2: There's no power, there's exactly.
Speaker 4: One beer, which would be for sharing.
Speaker 2: Gross And as they're all hanging out, Eli's computer, which is now a sort of transformer robots.
Speaker 10: Situation, walks in and they want to destroy it, but Eli asks them not to and tries to talk sense into his computer and at first I thought.
Speaker 1: It was gonna work.
Speaker 3: It shows him, It shows them his porn, which is a nightmare scenario, like, yes, robots could just be like I'll reveal your search history unless you bow down to me, like you don't need to bring any monsters, I will just bow down.
Speaker 7: The other part, Eli's computer must be so high end because days of dial up. There is no way he's watching a video, burning a CD, chatting on Aim and his computer is not burst into flames.
Speaker 1: Oh there was no.
Speaker 2: Sort of computer that could handle that unless you were a bazillionaire.
Speaker 3: Okay, I just want to throw those out there. When uh, Eli gets into Danny's car, he has to They have a CD player, yes, adapter, yes, which is a tape you pointed to your tape deck and then it ran a wire to your CD player and he the CD.
Speaker 5: Yes, And like Danny's internet setup is a lot more realistic. They are downloading one pornographic picture and it is taking about an hour for sharing.
Speaker 1: Yes, there there's no world.
Speaker 2: So what I did think was funny is initially, when Eli starts watching that video of Bill Clinton, it is like glitchy. There's a lot of hieroglyphics or whatever you call them, lift I don't know, artifacts.
Speaker 1: And that felt realistic. But then Eli is just zooming all over the net, and I was like, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 11: Sir, that's not not what's gonna happens.
Speaker 3: Give navigator couldn't handle that much.
Speaker 1: No, I don't.
Speaker 7: Even think Netsy a navigator. I guess it did kind of exist at this point along with Weberings.
Speaker 2: But Ash and CJ are kind of connecting. Ash thinks that CJ is super pretentious. They take like a smoke break.
Speaker 5: CJ is asking Ash why Ash sort of puts up with barcas and then making jokes at Ash's expense, like calling Ash like sweat and sut and it does suck, and Ash like, I thought this was.
Speaker 2: A very poignant moment because.
Speaker 1: We were just like as a society in the.
Speaker 2: Nineties and early two thousands, like this is when Britney Spears was being harassed half to death for existing. The conversation around how women were spoken to was just kind of starting, like Riot Girl had sort of formed, and.
Speaker 5: I think that there was this belief, both spoken and unspoken, that like if you wanted to hang out with dudes and be considered like not a boomer or a wet blanket or whatever, you had to put up with a certain amount of bullshit and that sucks, and like thankful now there is like a dialogue about how that's a really shitty exchange, like you shouldn't have to put up with harassment and abusive language to have friends. Heavy air quotes, like someone like Ash now in Ash's position now could say I don't like it that they're shaving me because I hooked up with Farcas once and now it's everyone's business and other people will be like, yeah, that's things that's really crummy. But like, for real, in the late nineties early two thousand, the onus was still in the woman like, well.
Speaker 2: You slipped up, you hooked up with him, and now that's everyone knows, and it's just your business is out there.
Speaker 1: And so like I liked that they had.
Speaker 2: You know, since CJ was into elevated sort of intellectual wrap.
Speaker 1: Also could see but like a pretty.
Speaker 2: Logical thing, like your friends shouldn't talk down to you that way.
Speaker 1: That stings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so going off what you're saying, like as Ride Girl was forming, thus was also forming cool Girl.
Speaker 5: Yes, And you know, because like to any movement, there is going to be a kind of reactionary resistance, good or bad.
Speaker 3: See the thing the thing of cool girls. I wouldn't even call it a counter resistance. But I don't like we weren't connected enough for I think certain groups of people to know about Ride Girl. I didn't know about Ryte Girl until I got to college. But I think it is essentially like cool girls started existing as a survival technique, you know, like I want don't want to be alone, so I'm gonna have to put up with this.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's I think it's sort of like the distant cousin of like a pick me, is that you're either siding with the oppressor or you're pushing against it. And I think that there are going to be a plenty of men who are like, yeah, I can understand why someone.
Speaker 2: Want to be sledshamed and talk down to, and there's probably going to be just as many men that they are like.
Speaker 1: Well, that's just the world we live in. What are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: I guess you just I'm gonna assimilate to.
Speaker 1: Talking down to women for me, Like so, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I just think I liked about this is that it's like hokey and silly, But then there are these like little moments where they're like, well, you.
Speaker 2: Can think about this conversation if you want, or you can also just ignore it.
Speaker 5: Until we have like the next gag death, which happens very soon after this with Garrett.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna well we're gonna head into act three. Right, we take a quick trip to the bake sale. Okay, so we have our big act to hope has lost moment they figure out they that the computer gives up that they're going to assimilate all the human population into like living computers to give them data. And I like really well put together presentation by the machines.
Speaker 7: Like so there's a couple of different moments where they had to animate the AI. The with the AI is basically blinking and chaunting them at the end of the day. I love the graphics they chose for that, but this little animation would this be like a sixteen third animation.
Speaker 3: I'd say more like sixty four, Like you know, it's all yankye polygons and whatnot. The the the avatar for the computer like head Supreme Intelligence Brain is basically lawnmower Man from the movie lawnmower Man. So Lucy out that she can create that, figures out what's going on with it. There's a central consciousness that she can make a virus for to kill. Jonas is knocked out or.
Speaker 5: Killed knocked out by the computer and then when he gains consciousness again, him and well Eli and Lacy have an argument about her being popular, which again is like a very early.
Speaker 2: Two thousands argument to have, and Eli storms off with c J.
Speaker 1: N Ash and.
Speaker 2: Eli had seen Laura speaking to Jonas and assumes they're going to get back together with the viewer over here like a snippet of this conversation, and Jonas is like, oh, well, I was just thinking could be into the world, or is like, I can't do this again. We don't entirely know why they broke up, but we know that they are going to remain broken up. So now Garrett Ash.
Speaker 5: And I'm sorry Garrett Ash, CJ, and Eli are all sort of setting out to head to the school where.
Speaker 2: All of the humans are being like fitted with micro chips to serve the robots if they haven't already perished under the robot rule, And so they're confronted by another transformer robot amalgamation. This is where Garrett decides that he is gonna fight with his devil sticks.
Speaker 1: They really put the suspense on this.
Speaker 7: There's like slowo Garrett signalant like doing things with the devil sticks.
Speaker 1: He takes a bunch of pills.
Speaker 2: The robot immediately cuts off his arm and he's like, oh no, and then the robot immediately cuts off his head.
Speaker 7: So then the Laura shows up, Eli, CJ, Laura.
Speaker 1: And Ash all climbs into the torna potty. The robot knocks it off of the hill.
Speaker 4: Initially, the poop is not going everywhere. Then the poop starts going.
Speaker 1: It's so gross.
Speaker 4: Eli and Laura are lying on their sides, gazing into each other's eyes, about to kiss as the poop starts flying everywhere and it's horrible.
Speaker 3: And CJ are my god. Ash and CJ are just like right near ground zero for that poop and it sucks.
Speaker 5: So they all fall out of the potty.
Speaker 2: Eli starts yelling about his skate shoes and kicks the walls. So now on top of being covered in poop, he's also barefoot in the woods. They clean themselves off the best they can, but you know, they smell terrible.
Speaker 1: So they make their way to the video store because basically so Eli can get shoes.
Speaker 2: He doesn't tell the group that. He just says, I have to pick something up that Garrett left there, and the group says, like, what, how could Garrett be useful?
Speaker 3: Okay, sorry, this does.
Speaker 9: That.
Speaker 3: There was a very funny bit where Garrett takes off of it, takes off his he's wearing socks of sandals. He takes off one pair of Berkin socks as he leaves it, goes into the champagne room to put on a different pair of birkinstocks. And also Ash says he was pretty cool for a white eye with dreads.
Speaker 1: Yes, accurate.
Speaker 5: So this is where they encounter Fred Dirts, which is so good.
Speaker 3: He is skulking in the shadows.
Speaker 1: So I read an interview Kyle Lonys.
Speaker 4: This role was always written for Fred Durst.
Speaker 1: He is so.
Speaker 2: Like iconic to the tie, and we were so nervous he wouldn't want to do this, but he was so game.
Speaker 4: He showed up. He did exactly what we needed him too. And I was dying because it's like this.
Speaker 5: Is again exactly my type of humor where everyone calls printers by both names.
Speaker 1: The entire time. He says things like I ran and hit like a coward.
Speaker 4: He is describing a show that I have to believe.
Speaker 1: Happened on New Year's Eve and talks about how.
Speaker 5: Like everyone started to get murdered at this show and that the robots took Westmorland. Another character and for those who were not familiar with olymp biscuit.
Speaker 2: Or I'm so sorry, I shouldn't presume that everyone knows this garbage. Westmorland is canonically so disdainful of being in the biscuit.
Speaker 1: Even we made a lot of money from being.
Speaker 3: In the ticcuit.
Speaker 1: He just face paid full blackout.
Speaker 5: Contact lenses, and in the years since Olympus gave his big he has given like a lot of disdainful interviews about it.
Speaker 1: But for dri says, and.
Speaker 2: They took with Borland and will continue to refer to him as with Borland.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, he says, like I watched them all die. I watched Sam Rivers, John Otto, DJ Lethal.
Speaker 1: They were all crushed about DJ Lethal.
Speaker 3: They were all crushed by a Marshall Stack. There's an explosion and West Borland was thrown into the crowd. Yeah, I hit like a.
Speaker 1: Coward, so good. And then.
Speaker 3: It is a full blown, like fantasy science fiction thing where he emerges hooded, but he's not wearing a red baseball cap and Ash is losing her mind at this.
Speaker 4: Like he is.
Speaker 3: He doesn't want to come with them. Then Ash gives them. Ash gives fred A fred Durst a pep talk saying, like my friends loved you. We were only friends because we were the freaks and the losers. It's because of you. This house, this hat means nothing about here.
Speaker 5: It's also covered in poop. She gives it different durs. Fred Durst puts it immediately on, after already having told them their plan is stupid and he doesn't think they should go to the school.
Speaker 1: So then they go to the school.
Speaker 11: We were getting so close, which is so ridiculous because like everything and nothing has happened in this movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I go to the school.
Speaker 4: We forgot to mention that Tim Heideker.
Speaker 5: And Alicia Silverstone play Eli's parents for no reason.
Speaker 4: They're barely in the film.
Speaker 2: They showed up to two locations probably a day of filming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and were their main roles seem to be to tell their son to make out for a girl.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 5: To Heydecker, who's looking great, by the way, he's like aging backwards and this is I feel like he is a great example of once people get money, they just get better looking because they can take better care of themselves, Like we should all be so rich.
Speaker 1: He looks great. I'll stop glazing to Hedacher.
Speaker 11: Sorry, so uh in the like the first CPC with Eli talking to his parents.
Speaker 1: He's like having a French kids. It's like I'm leaving no so good.
Speaker 2: So everyone's getting fitted with these microchips. They're going into this like robot herbage piles sort of.
Speaker 4: It looks like the TSA scanner, but it's.
Speaker 1: Made of like robot garbage.
Speaker 2: And so Laura goes to find like the main motherboard or whatever.
Speaker 5: And like distract everyone, and everyone's like blueing him and throw shit at him. And then Ash goes out.
Speaker 4: With an acoustic guitar.
Speaker 1: And starts playing Faith, which, again, for.
Speaker 2: Those of you who do not know the Lympiscuit Lord Faith is is it a whim or George Michael's song.
Speaker 1: It's a George Michael song.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Olympiscuit coverage. There's a lot of screaming in the album version.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: Immediately toes are tapping.
Speaker 1: Everyone's into it. The robots are not into the fact that everyone into it.
Speaker 3: Do.
Speaker 1: We get intercut with Fred Durst performing an.
Speaker 12: Acoustic version of Faith, Laura trying to put the USB port into the motherboard to install a virus.
Speaker 2: She gets electrocuted.
Speaker 1: Eli shows up.
Speaker 2: They talk a lot for only like having twenty percent more humans being converted till like they they're past the tipping point.
Speaker 1: So Eli remembers Danny again, takes the condom out of his pocket.
Speaker 4: I thought he was gonna put.
Speaker 1: It on his hand. Laura puts it on her hand. The AI robot is making all kinds of sort of like.
Speaker 5: Untoward jokes, and then they put the USB port in. Immediately the garbage robots fall apart, and the movie just kind of ends.
Speaker 3: Well. They go to Danny's grave. Eli puts the Kelso action figure on Danny's grave.
Speaker 5: Eli and Laura kiss outside the school. Please remember they're still covered in poop.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 5: As they are driving to Danny's grave, we are hearing about Durst Industries, the fact that Fred Durst has somehow become like this sort of messiah that saved everyone from Y two K and is running for office and we.
Speaker 1: I didn't think of this until now.
Speaker 5: I believe that there is like an election sign in the graveyard that's like a red baseball cap.
Speaker 3: Yes, did you mention that, like Fred Durst jumps on the stage goes to West Borland, My friend, you're alive.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't believe that's real. West Borland. I was trying to figure it out. I think it's a toppleganger.
Speaker 3: I got chuck, but yes, guess who's still alive. It's the shit talking computer.
Speaker 5: I mean, Frank west Boreland is not listed in the.
Speaker 1: That I can see in the cast.
Speaker 2: And yesterday I was googling west Boreland Y two K movie, West Boreland in Y two K movie.
Speaker 1: And could not figure it out.
Speaker 5: So I don't know if you know if west Bortland is the one in the Y two K.
Speaker 2: Movie, you can email us a real teen girl talking Gmail dot com. I could not figure it out. And movies have started doing that like thing where they don't list people.
Speaker 5: In like on IMDb, so it's more surprising. I found that very annoying.
Speaker 1: I'm like, just let me know.
Speaker 4: I'm definitely not gonna check before I see the movie.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just like, maybe Wes Borland didn't want to be on being known that you shared a stage again with Fred Durst.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is amazing.
Speaker 2: Somebody is uh listed as Abercrombie Jock. There's a cool kid group.
Speaker 1: There's a rap rock gang member. These are such good credits.
Speaker 5: Raver pe money rap Rocker. So good, Okay, so frank final thoughts.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed this movie.
Speaker 2: Soccer Chris is listening as his full name Soccer Chris.
Speaker 3: When Fred Durst appeared, I screamed, yes it it just it for somebody who I guess I grew up at this time. It just hit so hard how accurate this all was. They got kind winding out everything correct, and I think he he made the right right choice of being Garrett and Budding himself get killed. And honestly, you know, I can't wait, Like you know, I was like, okay, when are they going to break stuff? Like if this very much felt like Itch and Scratchy on their way to the fireworks factory and then Pooci shows up. Yeah, but I was like, okay, well Fred Jerson is here. They're gonna start smashing robots pretty soon, right, And they didn't, And like I can kind of like I think, you know, for comedy wise, them you know, them playing faith and none of the robots stopping it at all was way funnier.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, like when it happens to the end of Bottoms where Bottom the girls kill the opposing football team, it's such a like a release from all the shit the girls had to put up with, you know, throughout their lives and also over the last few like weeks or whatever, that it's a perfect like you know, you know, pitch perfect, and note for that, and also just like the characters aren't each so funny that when they're fighting and like their personality coming out, it's still amazing. Oh and we did forget the for me the greatest line this entire movie. CJ gets killed protecting fred Durst. Yeah, and he gets CDs shot into his face and as he's dying, he says.
Speaker 1: To Ash he's holding his hand.
Speaker 3: I never thought I'd die next to a rap rocker, to which As replies, how about next to a homie?
Speaker 2: So good, so uh, obviously we recommend this film. Next week we will be covering a movie with another.
Speaker 1: Book Smart alumni.
Speaker 2: He's actually out now. I'm like last time I said we were gonna do, not out yet.
Speaker 4: And even though I'm not on mine that mentioned anymore.
Speaker 2: It has Perni Shipka, who is a many times teen girl talk along and.
Speaker 3: Much like fred Duri's kinda, Shipka is having a tremendous year.
Speaker 1: It's very very accurate.
Speaker 2: So if you would like to write us, You can write us at real teengirl talk at gmail dot com. We have an Instagram that Frank Potterates if you'd like to review the show. It really like kind of helps other people find it, especially because of the Apple I heard what's up?
Speaker 3: Frank and I have a new website where you can find my writings Franklin Cota dot com.
Speaker 2: I'm easy enough to remember, yes and until next week, I am Studiekota.
Speaker 3: I'm Frank Kota