Speaker 1: Wait, the Lucky land Slots. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 3: Judy was boring Hello.
Speaker 4: Then Judy discovered chumpacasino dot com.
Speaker 3: It's my little escape.
Speaker 4: Now Judy is the life of the party.
Speaker 3: Oh baby mama is bringing home the bacon.
Speaker 4: WHOA, Take it easy, Judy. The chump of life is for everybody. So go to chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump chump a casino dot com. Noe's necessary weight. We're gitted my eighteen plus terms and condition to play what everyth fails.
Speaker 5: You are now listening to True Murder The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gaesy, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with Your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski, Good Evening.
Speaker 6: In nineteen seventy, Mary Petrie and Bill Sprout, two university students in love, were murdered in a Columbus, Ohio apartment. The crime was so brutal that drew comparisons to the Manson murders of the previous year. The case has never been solved. Host Producerton Glanville and the sisters of the two victims track down friends, witnesses to the original investigation, and the Columbus Police to understand why the case remains unsolved despite the existence of solid DNA evidence and the fact that police say they have a person of interest. Along the way, the three explore who really owns DNA collected at crime scenes, families or police, and what it takes to bring new attention to a fifty three year old cold case. In an era when police departments are struggling to attract new recruits. The podcast series that we are featuring this evening is Mary and Bill, an Ohio cold case with my special guest, journalist and host and producer of Mary and Bill, Justin Glanville. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for this interview. Justin Glanville.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dan for having me.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much. This is a Idea Stream Public Media production. Tell us about its connection to National Public Radio, and tell us just a little bit about your connection to Ideas Stream public media and your work as a journalist.
Speaker 7: Sure so, Idea Stream Public Media is the NPR and PBS actually affiliate station in northeast Ohio, and this podcast is part of the NPR podcast network, so you can go to the NPR website and find it there, in addition, of course to all the usual places you get your podcasts. Dan and Yeah, I work in public media, very proud public radio reporter, and ordinarily I do very community driven stories. I profile a lot of interesting people in the community, really try to lift up unheard voices. And when I was first starting to work on this series, I thought, Okay, this is something really different from what I ordinarily do. But as I got deeper and deeper into it, I've realized that it's actually not because I'm lifting up voices and perspectives of these two families right that want closure, want answers in this fifty three year old cold case, and working really closely with them to do it.
Speaker 6: In the first episode, their deaths still hunt. You talk about the origins of you coming to this story via your parents. Tell us about this incredible story.
Speaker 7: So my parents were at Ohio State when this happened. My mom was a student there, so this is February nineteen seventy. As you said, my mom was I believe a junior, maybe a sophomore, and she was friends with Bill, the male victim in this case, Bill Sprote. He was the roommate of a guy named Tom McGuigan who was dating one of my mom's roommates. Tom was spending the night at my mom's apartment with his girlfriend, and the night that this happened, my dad was also there visiting from out of town. And the next day, when Tom, Bill's room mate, went back home and discovered the bodies, he called back to my mom's apartment and asked for my dad to come over immediately because he had found some dead bodies. My dad of course ran over to the apartment. By the time he got there, it was a crime scene. The police were there, and my dad showing up the scene so shortly after the police did looked very suspicious, and he was actually taken into custody, put in a police cruiser and questioned as a suspect in the case. And that actually wasn't the end of it for him. He was they tracked him down at college a few weeks later and questioned him further.
Speaker 3: So it's a case that my parents talked about over.
Speaker 7: The years as I was growing up as being this awful thing that had happened in their youths. And you know, the details Dan of this case, I'm sure we'll get into. Some of them are really really nightmarish in a way that is unusual, I think, even for a double homicide. And I think just those details always stuck out my parents' memories, right the wire coat hangers, the bowling ball, the stabbing, the connection, the purported or suspected connection to the Manson murders. All of these things just kind of added up to this really dark and bloody memory in my parents' past, and I just decided to start poking into it about three and a half years ago.
Speaker 6: Let's get back to those horrifying details that drew those comparent students to the Manson murders. Tell us what police found first, what the roommate, Tom McGuigan found, But police then more fully examined the crime scene.
Speaker 7: One of the things that Tom told reporters initially was he thought he had seen three bodies, yes, and the apartment. So that's how bloody and gruesome the scene was. Of course, there were only two. There was Mary and Bill, and I should back up to say that these were both scholars dan These were Bill was a graduate student in French at Ohio State. Mary was an undergrad studying at the College of Mount Saint Joseph and Cincinnati, also in French. They had bonded over the French language and culture. Both of them had traveled to France. They liked to be by themselves, talking about brands and French culture. That's why they weren't with my parents partying that night and Bill's roommate. So these were very quiet people and what happened to them was was just the polar opposite of quiet and peaceful.
Speaker 3: They were.
Speaker 7: First of all, they were both bludgeoned. It appears to have been with a bowling ball. Now, my mom actually remembers this bowling ball being in Bill's apartment. Bill and Tom used it as an umbrella holder. It was kind of a fun conversation piece. And the killer apparently used the bowling ball to bludgeon both Mary and Bill to the back of the head. It's believed that's what happened. First, they were both also strangled. Bill was bound with wire hangers, bound so tight that it was believed that the killer used something like pliers to secure them in place. And then they were both stabbed to the back, Bill sixteen times to the back, Mary twenty three times to the back.
Speaker 3: So, you know, I think just the.
Speaker 7: Level of brutality is what drew those comparisons to the Manson family murders Dan and also just the apparent randomness of this attack. No one could think of anyone who would have hated Bill or Mary or both enough to do something like this.
Speaker 6: Tell us the living conditions where they were in this apartment, and what type of apartment building, how many units were in it.
Speaker 7: Sure, so this is is basically an old house that was a Victorian house that was broken up into four apartments. At that time, Bill and Tom lived on the second floor in a two bedroom unit. I've actually been to the building. It's been kind of reconfigured since nineteen seventy, but I did get to visit the bedroom where Mary was found. So Mary was found in a bedroom on a bed, she was partially unclothed, and there was evidence of sexual assault in her case.
Speaker 3: I didn't mention that.
Speaker 7: And then Bill was actually found in a bathroom, face down and bound. So they were found in two separate rooms. Small apartment student housing. I guess at the time, I've been told the neighborhood was rather dangerous. It was kind of in transition to becoming a student neighborhood, and there were reportedly, you know, shady characters wandering around. And I should also mention you might be getting into this that there was a serial rapist active in this neighborhood at the time, and the leading theory about what potentially had happened to Mary and Bill back in nineteen seventy at the time of the original investigation was that this was the work of the so called North Side rapist, who would go to women's apartments and gain entry by saying he needed to use the phone or posing as a door to door salesman. There were no signs of forced entry or struggle scene of the crime in Mary and Bill's case, So that kind of fit with this of this North Side rapist, that he may have gained entry by lying. But what didn't fit and the police kind of drifted further and further away from this theory of the crime over the years was that the North Side rapists did not typically kill or otherwise brutalize his victims. So this was a real outlier in that regard.
Speaker 6: So what was the initial early theories about what this crime could be considered?
Speaker 7: As I know, they investigated the roommate quite a bit, Tom initially because just of his proximity to the crime, the fact that he knew both Bill and Mary, but newspaper accounts very early onward reporting that the police had ruled him out of the suspect. Also investigated early on was a cab driver who dropped Mary off at the apartment. As I mentioned, Mary was a student at a college in Cincinnati, and she got a right with some friends from Cincinnati to outside Columbus that day and was then taken to Bill's apartment by cab. That cab driver was investigated, but was able to show receipts that he had continued his route later that evening, so he was ruled out. And then, as I said, the investigation really started to focus within those first couple of days on this theoretical North Side rapist. And in fact, the police sketch that was developed was based on women's accounts who'd been attacked by the North Side rapist. And what those police sketches show is a white man with dark hair and a pockmarked face. That was kind of his distinguishing trait. So that's really where the investigation focused. But I'll tell you Dan, when I first started looking into this, I was really surprised by how quickly the police seemed to have declared the case cold. By the summer of nineteen seventy, they were saying they had no really good leads and they had basically given up on the case over being solved.
Speaker 6: I wanted to ask what I was really cure after listening to these episodes was what about the building itself? You talk about a little bit later about the stab wounds and the violent nature of these murders, and yet there was no sign of struggle. There was no forced entry, but there's also no one reported any screams or any noises from the department. Tell us about the police investigation if you know about it, about checking out the residents of that apartment building that night.
Speaker 7: Isn't that striking that no one reported hearing anything? That was something that really jumped out to me too. As I mentioned, this was a four unit apartment building, so not a huge number of apartments in the building. But still this was a crime that would have taken some time to carry out, right because of the number of things that happens to them. Yes, and yes, it is a Friday night on a college campus. Yes, probably the students are out enjoying their Friday night. But still it seems to me a real leap of faith on the part of the killer to think that no one's going to walk into the building and hear something going on. I do know that the police did talk to the other residents of the building. The only person, the only tenant who and I've never been able to find this person, And if anyone listening to this podcast knows who this might be, I would love to talk to them. The only person who reported seeing anything amiss was someone who came home around ten pm that night and saw Bill's apartment or a jar with a radio playing inside, but did not investigate any further. So that is the only eyewitness account of anyone who lived in the building that I know of, and of course that seems to have been a sighting of the apartment as it was after the murders took place. I think we can pretty safely assume.
Speaker 6: Let's talk now about the very initial things that you do, the very first things that you do to be involved in this case. What are the very first things you do?
Speaker 7: Well, the first thing I did was I looked online to see if the case had ever been solved or if there was even any hope express over the decades that it would ever be solved. And I pretty quickly found out that no, it hadn't been solved. And as I mentioned that, the police seemed to have given up fairly quickly. This was a pretty big story for about a week and then it just kind of disappeared, and that was surprising to me. Yes, I did also find out that there was some DNA evidence in the case, because back in the early two thousands there was a Columbus detective who got interested in this case. So I actually talked to briefly in the show who had lived in the neighborhood at the time. And remember these murders, got interested in the case, went back into the evidence file and found some good DNA that he submitted to a State of Fender database called CODIS, and there were no hits, and so I knew the case was cold. I knew there was some good DNA evidence, which meant to me in this day and age, when you I've got dead DNA, there's a very good chance the case can be solved because of all the methods we have now. But then after that, what I did was I reached out to Martha Petrie. So Martha Petrie is the identical twin sister of Mary. I found her very easily just googling around. She was a professor at that time. She's now retired at a college in Michigan, and I sent her an email asking her if she would be willing to speak with me. I knew that if I was going to do anything in depth on this case, I needed to have at least Martha, if not someone also from Bill's family. Kind of walking alongside me, and Martha did get back to me very quickly and said she would welcome the chance to talk about the case and the title you mentioned in the first episode, their deaths Still Haunt. That's a direct quote from her first email response back to me. I found out later that she did do kind of a background check on me and made sure that I was a legitimate journalist and not sort of a sensationalist or someone just out to exploit the murders. But she was on board right away, and that's when I thought, Okay, this is there's something here.
Speaker 6: Tell us about your public records requests and homicide detective Dana Krume.
Speaker 7: One of the first things I did too was I did ask for public records connected with the case, and as I say, I think in the first episode, I was surprised to get a call from out of the blue from a detective Dana Chrome, who's now retired from the Columbus Police, saying that he and his supervisor, Sergeant Terry McConnell, we're going to be in Cleveland and they wanted to drop off copies of the summary police reports to me in person. Of course, I thought this was very odd, you know, I'm not typically a crime reporter, but I've never had a public records request result in, you know, a government official or bureaucrat saying, hey, let me get view these in person.
Speaker 3: Can we meet up? But that's what we did.
Speaker 7: We met up at a coffee shop and he and Terry McConnell were dressed in suits of looking very cop like, and they pushed paper copies of the summary police reports, which are on our website if anyone wants to read them. They're handwritten two page reports for both Mary and Bill across the table to me, and I pretty quickly realized why they wanted to meet up in person, and that was because Number one, my dad was named in that summary police report for Mary. So in a couple of paragraphs of texts, my dad is named as a potential suspect. And here's this justin Glanville emailing them from out of the blue, sent decades later, wanting to talk about this case. And what they also wanted was to meet with my parents right then and there. They asked me to take to my parents' house so they could interview them, and I said, I don't feel comfortable doing that. I want to at least give my parents some warning. So that's kind of how that all unfurled. In the early days.
Speaker 3: We're pretty open with me at.
Speaker 7: First, but became more and more reticent to disclose information about their investigation or the case. But fortunately, as I went on, but fortunately Martha Petrie and to some extent pat sprote Lollagher, Bill's sister kind of started to take on that role of pushing things along and getting information about the investigation.
Speaker 6: Let's use this as an opportunity to hear these messages.
Speaker 8: Hello, it is Ryan, and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting your steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's your bright new day lope actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's chumbuck casino dot com.
Speaker 6: You'll we just necessary DAILI where I lost the terms conditions eighteen plus Now you drove down to Jackson, Michigan to meet Mary's identical sister, Martha. But you also she also wanted to meet your parents as well. So tell us about this. This meeting in Jackson, Michigan.
Speaker 7: And this was right before COVID closed everything down. So we're going back about three and a half years now. My parents and I got in a car. I will say I wasn't sure. This was another thing. I wasn't sure if my parents wanted to get involved in all of this again, but they really did. They really wanted to meet Martha. They really wanted to share what they knew. They didn't think they had a whole lot to offer, but they were happy to share what they did know. So we all got in the car, drove to Jackson, Michigan, and we had probably a two or three hour meeting Martha's dining table, and Martha was very open with us about her emotions about the case, how she thought about it. One thing she did tell us was that she really hadn't heard much Dan in the at that time, fifty years since this had happened from the police. And what she told me later was she decided to move on with her life at some point, you know, she got married, had children, had a career, and this kind of just became a thing that she didn't have the time or emotional energy to focus on. But at the time that we were reconnecting with her, she was moving into a new phase in her life where she was she did have more time, and she told us that she's always wanted answers, and one of the things she's always wanted most, more than a name, more than justice, is just to understand why why did even though the answer probably wouldn't be satisfactory to a sane person, but why did the killer feel the need to commit crime of this atrocity on her sister and her sister's boyfriend.
Speaker 6: In terms of DNA or evidence in this case, what did Martha know? What did she get from the police In terms of information.
Speaker 7: Martha knew that there was good DNA evidence in the case as well, and she knew where the evidence came from. The DNA evidence came from the bedspread on which Mary was found. It was semen found on the bedspread, So she knew because she had been contacted by police back then and also by a reporter who did a story. Because back in about two thousand and six, or so the police were really publicizing The Columbus police were really publicizing this case a lot, really trying to get new leads because of the detective that I mentioned taking an interest. So there was a news story that was done and Martha was interviewed and she knew that that DNA had been submitted to again the statewide Defender database, but never come up with any hits. Now, your listeners Dan probably know that that's not particularly surprising because we're talking about a cold case from nineteen seventy. DNA really only started to be collected at crime scenes as a routine matter in the nineteen nineties, and I think around that same time was also started to be collected from felons. So we're talking about a gap of a good twenty five years between when this crime happened and when DNA started to be collected. So it's not a shocker that there were no DNA hits. I will say that they have submitted the DNA to some additional databases since then. Then you listeners will learn about that if they listen to the podcast. And the lack of hits in an increasing number of a funder databases points more and more towards something toward a direction that the police seemed to be leaning anyway in this case, which is that they no longer believe that this was a stranger who committed this crime. They no longer believe that this was a crime of opportunity. They really believe that this was someone who knew Mary or Bill or both. And that's the more that you strike out with a funder databases, the more that you're pointing toward potentially a person who is affluent, who is potentially white, who is not who is less likely to a prior arrest record. Right, So that really jibes with where the police theory of this crime has headed over the last few decades.
Speaker 6: Anyway, Well, tell us about this detective that's made statements at that time, and then what was their theory and what are the avenues that they explored in terms of potential suspects in is what looks like not great suspect pool in the first place.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so there was some and and again this is where the Columbus police have been pretty cagy with certainly me, but also with the sisters in terms of what actually they believe at this point.
Speaker 3: But okay, let's start with the nature of the crime itself.
Speaker 7: When you have a crime of this level of brutality, that right away points to someone who is not committing a crime of opportunity, right and when you really look at the coroner reports and the autopsy reports and photos, which by the way, I did not look at the photos myself, but one of our episodes we do have a medical examine or re review all of that evidence, it really becomes more and more apparent that there was a ritualistic and almost like a torture element to these crimes, because Mary and Bill would have been both dead by the time they started receiving the stab wounds. But not only that the stab wounds were inflicted in a very particular way. The wounds were clustered in both cases right underneath the shoulder blades, the right and left shoulder blades of Mary and Bill, So two groups of clusters right under the shoulder blades. And that sort of then gets into tip that the police receives in about two thousand and nine that the person who committed these crimes was someone who wanted to punish Mary, in particular for planning to spend the night with Bill. So let me just pause and let that sink in, because when I first saw that, I thought, really, Bill and Mary both came from very religious backgrounds. They both came from very Catholic backgrounds. Mary in particular, she had one brother who was a priest, she had another brother who was a chaplain. She had a sister who was a nun. So she was a very devout person from a very devout family. And this strange tip from back in two thousand and nine or so said that it was a religious figure in Mary's life who wanted to punish her for potentially considering pre marital sex.
Speaker 3: Essentially, so that becomes that, along.
Speaker 7: With sort of what appears to be the ritualistic nature of the stab wounds of particular, starts to point to someone with a personal vendetta against them. Martha has wondered about the specific number of stab wounds. Mary had eight stab wounds on one side and fifteen on the other. Martha has pointed out that that is the date of the assumption, where Mary Is ascends into heaven. So more and more the investigation has drifted toward there being potentially some religious aspect of these crimes, and that they were committed by someone known to Marion, Bill, and then finally the strangulation element. The medical examiner who examined these files told me that anytime there's strangulation in a murder case that automatically points to the possibility of someone with an intimate connection with the people involved.
Speaker 6: Jes this as an opportunity to stop. To hear from our sponsor. In nineteen seventy, two university students who had recently fallen in love were murdered in an apartment in Columbus, Ohio. Their names were Mary Petrie and Bill Sprout. The crime was so brutal he drew comparisons to the Manson family murders that shook the country less than a year earlier. Police received hundreds of tips, but within a few months the case went cold. Now a reporter and the sisters of the victims pieced together new forensic evidence, and here from Columbus police who say this case can still be solved fifty years later. Listen to Mary and Bill an Ohio cole case wherever you get your podcasts. Now. What it's always perplexed me was when the police have this idea that it's someone known to them, despite this religious figure theory that seems a little wild, certainly, but there was certain Protestant and Catholic rivalry in many many cities. But again, to get to this sort of violence is incredible.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And again I think this comes back to the timeline.
Speaker 4: Dan.
Speaker 7: It's another thing that the police have been saying to more recently is that they believe that Bill's murder was already in progress at the time that Mary walked in to the apartment.
Speaker 3: Does that mean that Bill was actually the target of this attack.
Speaker 7: That doesn't seem to drive with this other theory that the police seemed to have about the killer wanting to punish Mary. But it also is odd because there's a very short window when Bill is alone in the apartment. So, according to the police report, Tom McGuigan, Bill's roommate, leaves the apartment at about six pm after having been there when Mary calls to say she was taking a cab from where she was dropped off. Mary is then dropped off at six thirty pm at the apartment and walks in by herself. So if those our accounts are correct, that's a very short window when Bill is alone at the apartment. The other thing that's odd is that Mary herself didn't know she had a ride to Columbus or would be showing up in Columbus until mid afternoon on Friday, February twenty seventh, which is when the murders took place. So for word to have traveled somehow to Columbus that Mary was coming, if indeed she was the target in that short amount of time between when she knew and when she showed up, is again very odd to me. And who would have known that? Who would have known that she was coming? So there's a lot of mysterious things when you really start to look into the timeline of this case that just really don't seem to add up unless it was someone just very very close to one or both of them.
Speaker 6: What about the idea of one or two of the residents of that building being familiar to person like Bill, not necessarily a friend of Bill, but being familiar enough to be able to be in that apartment and for whatever reason the motivation of rage and revenge, jealousy, sexual desires for Mary. Did police check out all of the other residents because it seems to be that they would fit the profile of the person potentially, You.
Speaker 7: Know, I don't I have not seen the full police file. The police would not allow me to see the full file because it's an active investigation, et cetera, et cetera. So I don't know to what extent the tenets of the building were investigated at that time. But again, the fact that the police, at least publicly, we're talking so much about this Norse rapist being there their preferred suspects back then tells me that unless they were lying about that and that was all a ruse to the fleck from the real direction of the investigation, it tells me that they weren't really leaning toward a tenant being the person who did this. And I will say, this is a building that had a lot of points of entry. It still does. When I visit the building in episode two, I find out that there's multiple entrances. On the back of the building, there's a front entrance. I talked to somebody who lived there at the time who said the building was pretty much already always open, So certainly the tenants could have been in there without breaking in, but it seems like it might have also been pretty possible for someone who didn't live there to get into the building as well.
Speaker 6: Can you discuss this idea that there was some kind of people from France connection to men, and.
Speaker 7: The police have told us that that is something they've investigated over the years. So apparently, Mary was scheduled to visit with two Frenchman who she had met during one of her study abroad trips to France the monday after her visit with Bill. The police were looking for those Frenchmen to reinterview the time this case was kind of being actively reinvestigated around two thousand and nine, even though they had been dismissed as real suspects.
Speaker 3: Back at the time of the investigation.
Speaker 7: I did talk to a number of Mary's friends, including her roommate who traveled extensively with her in France, and she does not remember any shady characters who would have potentially wanted to follow Mary back to the States and kill her, although she did relate a story of the two of them getting a hitching a ride with a man who took an interest in Mary, a Frenchman who's like an interest in Mary and later visited her at college who I think it's possible that person was her killer. Probably not, but I think it does point too. This was a young woman who was apparently very warm and trusting and may have met someone who would have potentially had ill intentions toward her while she was in France alone.
Speaker 6: You have a plan with Martha for you to be able to speak to police, and as well as her, tell us about this plan and how it works out and the meeting.
Speaker 7: We finally do meet in person for an in depth conversation with the police, and that conversation takes place at Martha's dining table the first time, the same place where I met her three years ago with my parents, and the meeting is as puzzling as it is illuminating. There's a lot of details that people will hear when they listen to the podcast, but you know, I will say that. And one thing that's really striking is that from an early stage of my poking into this case, the police were telling me, and this is even before Martha gets heavily involved, that they have a person of interest just from going back through the case file. And they repeated that when I did, when Martha and I did sit down and talk to them for an interview. What they specifically say is that they don't have a name for this person, but they know that this person is a man, and that there are two other people that they want to rule out before they take additional steps to submit more DNA in the case. So that's when I go down this kind of rabbit hole of really trying to understand the process of submitting DNA evidence in cold cases. And it's when I talked to James Renner and find out about the Portlite project and these other efforts to bring resolution to cold cases through DNA. It is a maze of regulations and hoops that you have to jump through, and I learned a lot about that through the course of working on this show.
Speaker 6: You do discuss genetic genealogy versus another technique for a search. Can you tell us about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: And you know, going into this, I knew about forensic petic genealogy and how it had led to breakthroughs and really famous cases such as the Golden State killer, right, And I thought, hey, if there's and admittedly this might be a little naive, but I thought, hey, if you've got good DNA evidence in a case at this point in time, you're going to be able to find that person through forensic genealogy. What I later found out is that and there's a big asterisk here, which I'll get into after I explain this, But if for police departments who want to use federal funding to pursue forensic genetic genealogy, so let me just explain what that is. First of all, that's where you're submitting DNA to labs where they then take that DNA and try to match it to profiles that people have voluntarily uploaded to ancestry sites like jedmatch. The really famous ancestry sites like ancestryd dot com and twenty three and meet don't allow this, but there are a few smaller ones that do, and that so you're casting a really wide net to find sometimes direct relative is more often cousins, second cousins, third cousins, and then developing a family tree that then gives you some names that you can go investigate and try to get DNA from those people to try to come up with a direct match. But if you're going to use federal funding to pursue that route, you first have to exhaust your other options essentially for DNA matching. And what I found out is that there's first of all, every state has its own offender database. In Ohio, it's called CODIS, and again, it's a database of either DNA that's collected at crime scenes or collected from convicted felons, and you have to make sure that you have the best possible DNA profile uploaded to that database. And one thing that seems to have happened here is that because the DNA was in this case was submitted fifteen years ago initially to that database, it appears that they had to go back and get a better sample using current election techniques and start that process over again. If you don't get any hits there, then you can do something called a familial DNA search. That's where you're looking for male relatives of a male perpetrator. We do know that in this case, the police's person of interest is a male, so they were able to use this because it's all based on the Y chromosome. Then, if you don't get any hits on the femalial search, that's when you can then use federal funding to try a forensic genetic genealogy search. Now, the big asterisk here is that if you don't use federal funding, you don't have to jump through those hoops. And in episode seven of this podcast, I talked to a woman whose sister was murdered thirty three years ago, who they skipped right to forensic genetic genealogy using private funding from the Porti Lay Project, which is a nonprofit in Ohio that specifically funds forensic genealogy to solve cold cases. And they had they had a name in less than a year. So if you're cheap using to use private funding to pay for forensic genealogy, you can skip through some of those hoops. And I still sometimes wonder why that couldn't have been done here. And you mentioned in your intro who really does own or control what happens with DNA found at crime scenes? I wonder why the sisters don't have more of a say and how and when that DNA is tested, especially since they've been waiting so long for answers. So that's one unexpected question that came up for me and working on this case.
Speaker 6: It's very interesting. You cite a case March second, nineteen seventy two, Barbara Devlin White and an unsolved case, but just a connection to Mary is a eerie coincidence. Can you tell us about that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, this was a classmate of Mary's at her small All women's Catholic college in Cincinnati, who apparently lived just down the hall from Mary. Wasn't a close friend, but knew her. Martha has told me, and I didn't put this in the podcast because I've never been able to corroborate it, but Martha has told me that Mary asked Barbara Davlin to design an engagement ring for her and Bill. At any rate, she was found shot to death in a Cincinnati parking garage, almost exactly two years after the murders of Mary Petri and Bill Sprote. It was reported at the time that the police were looking into a link between her murder and the murder of Mary in particular, but that never seemed to go anywhere, at least that I ever saw publicly reported, and the police, when we did interview them, they did not indicate that they felt like there was any link between those two cases. At this point, they are very different in their circumstances, and that Barbara Davlin White was robbed and shot to death, Mary and Bill do not appear to have been really robbed of anything significant, and of course we've already talked about the ways they were killed. There also was no sexual assault reported in the case of Barbara Devin Loit. So it's possible it was coincidental, but if it is a coincidence, it's a very yeary one and that case, as you said, remains unsolved as well.
Speaker 6: Now Martha is assured by police that they will get back to her at that initial meeting. Tell us about that promise.
Speaker 7: It's been a real rollercoaster ride for Martha with the police. Martha in particular, there are times when they're really responsive and times when she has a really hard time getting responses from them back. And you'll hear a lot more about that journey in the seventh episode. But I think it's a difficult situation I think Dan that survivors find themselves in and I really got to witness this firsthand through working on this podcast, and that they really they don't want to They want to be good partners to the police, right and they don't want to be quote unquote annoying or off putting to the police. But at the same time, they want to be persistent and they deserve answers. So it's a really fine line I think that survivors' families have to walk in terms of reaching out to police. And I've also reflected on just the generational differences. You know, I think back in nineteen seventy piece people viewed the police very differently than they do now. I think there was, in general, probably a lot more trust in the police, and I think back then you just kind of trusted that the police were doing what they were supposed to be doing. But I think what we've found out in the course of working on this is that you really do Arthur really has had to be persistent and really had to be the one to keep calling back and really had to be the advocate. And I don't think I can I say this for certain, no, but I don't think the case would be as far along as it is if it weren't for her advocating for the police to pay attention.
Speaker 6: That Jesus as an opportunity to stop to hear these messages.
Speaker 2: Is Lucky Land Casino asking people, what's the weirdest place you've gotten.
Speaker 1: Lucky Lucky in line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually, do I have to say?
Speaker 2: Yes? You do?
Speaker 8: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting.
Speaker 2: Really, yes, excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky.
Speaker 4: I never win in tell.
Speaker 5: Well, there you have it.
Speaker 8: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now.
Speaker 2: Are you feeling lucky? No, We're just necessary fod my low eighteen plus terms conditions of plus what every.
Speaker 6: Degains now tell us about Bill's sister, Patricia Lolager Patricia, Bill's sister, and the teaming up with Martha, Mary's sister, and yourself.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so pat pat lives outside Philadelphia, so she's a little further away from me. I live in Cleveland, and Martha lives in Michigan, So I think partly by virtue of her just being a little further away geographically, she was not as closely involved at first, but he came more and more so as we kept working. And one of the things that was most gratifying to see happen as a result of working on this podcast is that the two sisters got to reunite and be back in touch after fifty three years. And the way that the podcast ends is that they are and I'm not, you know, giving away the ending here, but they are they're presenting a united front to the police at this point in terms of wanting answers, and I think that's only bringing more urgency to the need for this to finally be solved. I mean, the loved ones in this case are now in their mid seventies, you know.
Speaker 3: And even though.
Speaker 7: Pat has said she has accepted that she might go to her grave never having answers, just like her parents did, I don't think that should happen, you know. I think we have the evidence we need to solve this case. And yeah, and I think the sisters have really their trajectory has been toward believing that as well as a result of working on this, and one of the things they say is that they hope that they can inspire other people who have cold cases in their backgrounds to do what they're doing, advocate for those cases to be solved.
Speaker 3: That's really what it takes in this day and age.
Speaker 6: What specifically are the sisters urging the Columbus Police.
Speaker 7: To do in this case, They're urging the police to jump to forensic genetic genealogy. I think they understand the hurdles and the requirements that go along with federal funding that we've already discussed, but you know, we're I think one of the things that we've discovered is that it's really not a huge amount of money. We're talking here Dan to do a forensic genetic genealogy analysis. From everything I've heard, it's five six thousand dollars. Martha has said I'll pay the five, five or six thousand dollars. So specifically, I think they're asking for that. I think more generally, what they're asking for is more transparency and a little bit less tight control over exactly how this case is being investigated and solved. It really feels like the police who happen to be working on this case right now really want very tight control over how this case is investigated. And while I think we're all sympathetic to that on one level, the police have their protocols, they don't want to screw things up. I also think there's a big gap between the stance that they're taking, which is fairly opaque, and one where there's just a little bit more transparency and a little bit more cooperation and open communication.
Speaker 6: Who is Mary Weston within the Attorney General's office and what did she have to say when you discussed this case with her?
Speaker 3: Mary Weston really helped me Understan and.
Speaker 7: Why the police are taking the route they're taking with the DNA from a governmental point of view. So she was really the one who helped me understand all of these hurdles that you have to go through and all these other databases that you have to check if you're going to use federal funding for forensic genetic genealogy. You know, her point was basically, you might as well cross these c's and doty's eyes because you know, these are things that are available to police without having to take the extra expense of doing forensic genealogy. So she really helped me understand kind of the inside view of how prosecutors and police will approach cold cases when it comes to DNA.
Speaker 6: What was their explanation for your suggestion that they could use a private agency like Porchlite be able to do this and no expense. What was their explanation for not going with and cooperating with somebody that you like you have said they just wanted to help solve this case the sisters and yourself.
Speaker 7: That has been something that we haven't gotten an incredibly clear answer to. And I do know that Porchlite did offer to pay for forensic genetic genealogy in this case more than two years ago, so they turn they were turned down by the Columbus Police. But the Columbus police told me and Martha was that they didn't need the money and that they wanted to handle the investigation themselves. So exactly why they want such tight control is I don't know the answer. Why they want to be able to control this case and the investigation and the steps that they're taking.
Speaker 3: Essentially, you have.
Speaker 6: Any idea or any speculation on the two people that they needed to eliminate, any idea on who might be the first person or one of the people that police needed to eliminate as a suspect in this case.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know.
Speaker 7: One of the people appears to have been Tom in Bill Sporte's roommate, because the police visited Tom at his house I think it was last summer and requested DNA from Tom. He willingly gave it and also reinterviewed him, and he appears to have been one of the people that the police wanted to get DNA from. But the other person, we're not sure who that person might have been.
Speaker 6: Now, you talked about what Martha and Pat and yourself really wanted from this case to move forward, and so you discussed that all in the episodes, all of the work and the research that you all do for this in this regard in this case, and what is their level of sort of confidence that this thing could someday be solved.
Speaker 7: That too, has really vacillated over the years that we've worked on this. By the end of our time working together up to this point, they feel they reported feeling very confident, but that can change. I've discovered on a day to day basis based on how responsive the police are being or not being to especially Martha's questions. But I think where they end up in the podcast is at a very confident place, and I think if people listen to the podcast, they will probably also end up in a very confident place. I mean, but I will also say the police have told us Dan from practically day one that they believe the case can be solved and they have a person of interest. So I guess we have tried to take that on board and believe that, but at times it feels hard to believe because of how long it's taking from the time they told us that. I mean, I know, we're talking about a cold case that's been cold for fifty three years now, and so three years in the span of fifty three years is not a long amount, but it's also but it's a long time, and just in absolute terms, I think to be told, yes we think this is solvable, Yes we have a person of interest, but that nothing happens. So it's it's been a real paradox, I think in terms of the information that we're being given. So you know, what exactly is the hold up that is still that is still unclear.
Speaker 6: It is clear that persistence and advocacy, the advocacy of these survivors is a real big asset, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And I will say too that I was surprised when I first started looking into this case. We've talked about how nightmarish the details are, and it took me to a pretty dark place at first, you know, that it was possible that these two lovely, innocent people could be so b really murdered.
Speaker 3: Over the course of.
Speaker 7: Working on this, I will say that it's been a surprisingly uplifting experience because of the progress that we've been able to make on the case and for the reasons that you just named, the advocacy of the sisters, And I think that there also the sisters also talk about something very very deep and profound in the last episode too, and that this podcast has been a chance for them to look at a very very dark chapter in their past and really confront it and engage with it and talk about it in a way that they're not ordinarily invited to do. You know, as a society, we don't make a lot of space for talking about these dark, troubling things. And I think one thing I've realized is that as kind of maligned as the true crime genre is, sometimes I think that that's one of the things.
Speaker 3: That it does or can do.
Speaker 7: And my hope we did in this case by involving the sisters so closely, is just kind of create this space for examining something dark and hopefully inspiring other people to do that too, so that that pain doesn't have to be locked up inside people without a release.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I want to applaud you for the incredible work you and your team have done to create this podcast series, and I want to thank you very much for coming on and telling us about this incredible series. You have a fantastic website for this podcast series. Can you tell us about that?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And it's ideastream dot org slash maryon Bill. What we were really striving to do, Dan is make it a place where people could learn more about the case, look at primary documents in the case. We have the original summary police reports posted there, the coroner's reports, a lot of photos of maryon Bill. Nothing graphic, of course. We don't have the autopsy photos or anything like that. Yes, but it's really touching to see these two people living their lives and being the wonderful people they are. I'll say, like putting together the website and seeing photos of these two young people, it was a very moving experience for me, and I'd really invite people to go visit it, just as sort of a way of honoring maryon Bill. There's also a tip line for anyone who has information they want to show with us and a time, a very detailed timeline of the case, and.
Speaker 6: They can listen to this podcast that wherever they listen to podcasts.
Speaker 7: Can't they That's right wherever you listen to podcasts. And it's also you can stream episodes on the website itself if you want to look through all those documents while you listen.
Speaker 6: I want to thank you very much, justin Glanville for coming on and talking about Mary and Bill and Ohio cole Case. Thank you so much for this interview, and you have a great evening and good night.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dan, it's been an honor. Thank you.
Speaker 6: Good night,