Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast Network.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome back to the Disconnected. It's Thursday night, meaning it's time to get reconnected with the original. Ryan here with us tonight. What's going on? Ryan?
Speaker 3: Hey, it's going good. How you doing? Chad? Great to see you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the shout out. It's good to see you. Always a good time.
Speaker 3: It's awesome to be here. Thank you so much for having me back.
Speaker 2: Love the background as usual.
Speaker 3: Dam thank you. Yeah, we shelves are almost done. We've been working on this a little bit for a little while. I need to get tags. I'm next thing up, so I'm gonna have shelf tags so I have it all my sections.
Speaker 2: I had been talking about. Gosh, this was way back in twenty eighteen. I think I was talking with Andrew Furtado from Severn back then, and we were talking about designing our own and trying to sell them in Facebook groups. And things have changed for both of us since twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Just a little bit.
Speaker 2: It is amazing to see you. For those that don't know, mister Galland lives in Los Angeles. How's how's the anxiety been?
Speaker 3: The last couple of weeks pretty high. Like I just unloaded a bag, my own personal bag that I had packed the other day, and just then that's when the Hughes fire started in Santa Clarita, and I was like, yeah, that makes sense as soon as I, you know, take this stuff out of my personal bag. But anyway, it's so far, we're still in a safe place and hopefully rain is coming this weekend. But it's been it's been challenge. It's been challenge. We're all just sort of like taking deep breaths and just trying to get through it. But we're, you know, to be fair, we are we haven't lost anything. So many people have had suffered so much more than us, and so you know, we feel very lucky.
Speaker 2: For those that aren't paying super close attention. There were the two biggest ones for a little over a week, the Palisades fire and the Eating Fire. The Eating fire is it's over ninety percent contained now, I believe, and pretty much not advancing much and hopefully should be inactive here the next day day and a half. Hopefully Palisades fires has dramatically decreased its threatening aura. But man, just yesterday the Hues fire and in a matter of like three hours, literally went from five acres to like forty five acres to thirteen hundred acres and now it's like three times that size. That thing literally exploded and not not trying to use a fire pun, genuinely like in an exponential growth type of fashion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's up by the Angelito's Mountains and it's pretty far away from us, but and it wasn't near structures or homes, right, but like it's on these hills where that there's just brush everywhere, and that can just it just lit up like a tinder box and just those kinds of things. You're like, man, I'd really love to just feel like we've got we got a second to breathe, you know. So, but that's why I wanted to be here, because I wanted to just have a break.
Speaker 2: You know, those those hills up there, I think that's where pretty probably within a couple miles of where I filmed the first music video I helped out with. So yeah, lots lots of memories and then their hills, as the prospector would say, yeah, man, will saying that it looks like I got Fred Harrison on.
Speaker 3: I never liked that.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if you've heard that before.
Speaker 3: That's a new one on me, and I don't even have glasses, so that's interesting.
Speaker 2: But not to make a promise I can't keep. But you have no idea how close this is to being a reality. Uh that might be happening in the next year. Oh wow yeah, okay, Uh teasing something there. We'll see what's what's got going forward with that? Let's talk about because you get a lot of pickups, just like myself. What have you been getting in? I do?
Speaker 3: But I was checking the mail today, I was like, I got some stuff coming in. I was like, oh, what if it shows up today, It'll be just in time. But no, it did not. I checked the front porch all day. Anyway, the I got this because somebody told me and your discord that I should get it and that is that is narc and because it was on sale on Amazon and at that time I just decided to pick up the four K of Death Dream as well Blue Underground because I've been wanting to get it forever and it just never got it and it was like such a good price. I was like, yeah, so I had to do that.
Speaker 2: Funny enough, I almost pulled that for our discussion tonight.
Speaker 3: Oh really, Oh cool. I still haven't seen it, and I've been holding off talk about blind buys, so but I just know I know I'm gonna love this, So this is not a blind buy. I got a couple of things from Keno and this didn't show up initially in my order, but I got I told them about the issue. They sent me the wrong movie. They sent me mister Monk's Last Case, which is not.
Speaker 2: What I ordered. They will start with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but they they corrected it and sent me this, so it's all good.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 3: I also got a bunch of stuff, but I'll just say I got the some like it Hot four K. I couldn't resist it for ten dollars. Not the biggest fan of the movie, but I was like, I'll look at the four K. It's a classic. You know it's ten Yeah, maybe maybe time. I haven't seen it a long time, so maybe that you know, people change, Ryan, you should know that you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna be fun tonight.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Amazon, so the three for thirty three, I've got got Wild Robot.
Speaker 2: Good choice. Now Oscar nominated Wild Robot.
Speaker 3: I know, weird, uh upgraded Nightmare and elm Street damn good price for that, and because I was probably the only person on earth buying it Bike Riders.
Speaker 2: Correct, I did not buy that one either.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not bad, and you you know, we watch biker movies. I've watched a bunch of them, and we have to watch some of them for our podcast, and biker movies are not good straight. I'll just say I don't enjoy them. And this one was probably the best biker movie I've ever seen. That is insane A ton now. I don't know, it's been a long time since I've seen easy Writer, but you know, but like I've been watching a lot of like, you know, AIP biker movies and New World biker movies, and those are like, okay, and they're always pretty much the same. Oh good, I'm not alone. That's good to know somebody else bought about Bike Riders as well. And I think the performances are great, the exception perhaps of Tom Hardy, who is not doing a Chicago accent. He's very much doing a New York accent. But Jodi Comer is just like, her performance is out of this world. It's so good, and you know, her an awesome butler. I thought had great chemistry. I don't know. I was like, you know what, I kind of like it, and I mean I could pop that on and be like, there's decent biker movies out there anyway. Then the Arrow the seventies three for seventy dollars one, I got my one. I've picked deep Lucy, and I got removed off the orders. But I did get Demolition Man, nice, nice, And I got the hell Raiser quartette of Torment damn good deal, which of course I busted open and taken a look at. I thought I was going to be able to completely get rid of my Arrow blu rays of the first two, but you can't because levi Athan so oh well, still jam packed with a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: And again we got this comment for you that says the show would be a lot better if the Killer from a Violent Nature were the guests. Thank you.
Speaker 3: That is so true. Just quiet, just quiet. We could just listen to diagetic sound.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 3: That would be nice, wouldn't it.
Speaker 2: All we could see is the back of the head all night from you know, forty eight degrees up.
Speaker 3: I like that movie. I'm sorry, I really liked that movie. I know why you hate it. I get it, I get it, I get it, but I really like it. It worked for me. I'm sorry. I got some stuff from Finally from gold Ninja, I got Monster Man nice and also got the open Doom Crescendo, which I got the ultimate one that also comes with this book as well. It's just like the I believe the script the script to it. I don't know if you can see it, but anyway, and like you know, there's drawings of their yeah, you know, storyboards, and so you know, I love supporting them. I know that it's kind of a one man show, so I was excited to do that. And then lastly, thank you Jeremy, I love you too, pal very nice. Then I finally got my the first thing from my Acilloscope subscription, and I asked. They said, you can go back a little bit, and I said, I want. Sometimes I think about Dying, which is a movie I watched and really really liked. I've been thinking about it ever since, and I really want to hear the commentary. So I'm going to do that this week, and I'm excited. A Telescope. If you have not joined, if nobody, if you haven't subscribed, highly recommend so far so great. They have been so nice emailing me, talking to me, seeing what I want. It's like personally personally emailing. That is so wild. That is so crazy. I also subscribe to Terror Vision and I'm super excited about that. Have not received any email or any updates. But that's fine, no big deal. It's totally fine, totally fine. But on the other side was a Selloscope that like immediately emailed me. I was like, let's get you going. How's everything going? What can I need? Do you have any questions? That is so cool for that price point? Too unbelievable. I'm like bummed I haven't done this earlier. But uh so, I'm excited for potentially one of their movies that we might talk about tonight. Then I might be you know, I might order it. That's if we're talking about it. I think we would be.
Speaker 2: Will be here A yeah, there is. There's a good list coming up later this year from them. I'm pretty excited. They've got a pretty exciting twenty twenty five. All right, I've got kind of more than usual to talk about, but got a lot of stuff in this week. First, the brand new This is the January release from Deaf Crocodile, the Cathedral. New Emotions came in gorgeous art on this as usual and if you've not seen the standard art, this is where the stuff gets good and weird. Definitely recommend picking this up if you've not seen it, which most people haven't, so definitely check it out. The announcement's coming not tomorrow but next Friday. Going to be a really great month for everybody. You've got really exciting subscription title come to all of you that have subscribed to them. I do my best to support indie pretty much everything, so I got a couple of indie pickups this week. First is an indie horror movie that came out called He Never Left. This is a kickstarter from a little over a year ago. I think pretty original slasher film. It says, after hearing disturbing noises from the next motel room, a fugitive on the run and his girlfriend become prey to the notoriously brutal pale Face killer, whose legend has haunted the local community for decades.
Speaker 3: That's exciting.
Speaker 2: Recommend checking it out. Rue Morgue says, a remarkable, challenging lead performance is it.
Speaker 3: Can you only get it through? Like the Kickstarter.
Speaker 2: No, it will be available lots of places here soon, I believe. But yeah, this was the first place to the Kickstarter. Love the art on that, and it is autographed through the Kickstarter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very cool. I hope it's not in a violent like in a violent nature and you'll hate it. So we'll see hopefully.
Speaker 2: Well killer for decades. I guess it could be technically this one if you are around some of the other discords of other people and friends that have been on the channel for quite some time. Matt who you might recognize his name from. Keno Ventura is his online persona. Just did a zine recently called a Patchy Revolver. Nice lengthy articles and pictures about like crime, cinema, lots of good stuff in here. Shockingly cheap. You can get this, I believe it. Keno Ventura at blog spot. We're talking like thirty pages of high quality stuff and this shift was like five bucks, six bucks something like that.
Speaker 3: Incredible love zines. I love it zines are coming back. That's the best. I think.
Speaker 2: A pricier one. I finally got in my copy of the newest Physical Media Advocation What there it is? With the oscar nominated the substance on the front cover. You can get this and scores across the US and Canada. This I hate to continue saying this, but maybe my favorite issue yet, Like we keep growing where this one is over fit fifty fifty three pages, incredible articles, people from all over the world riding in. We've got regular stuff that is happening every single month. I can't really argue with it. It's amazing.
Speaker 3: I'll get my article in. I'm still working on it, but I can't wait to get that. I haven't gotten a new one because I'm waiting to go take a sojourn over to CD Trader and pick it up in the flesh. That's how I want to do it.
Speaker 2: It'll be a while for that one. Dave has been stressed out with the fires that he has not ordered the new one yet. Video Tech in LA has them though, Okay, all right, that's a longer jump for you, though I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is. It is. But good to know.
Speaker 2: The last two in two that I've not seen many people talk about that I've been wanting for a long time, waited for them to go on sale. This first one actually I was able to get with a gift card, so I didn't really have to pay for it. Village of Doom from Unearthed. This is based on off of a true story. This is Japanese film. It's a classic Japanese true crime story about It's a chilling reenactment of the infamous Suyama Masker, a revenge killing spree that occurred on the night of May twenty first, nineteen thirty eight in the rural village of Kamo near Suyama in Okayama Prefecture. There's an emotionally distraught twenty one year old man who had been ostracized by his fellow villagers went on a violent killing spree that took the lives of thirty people, including his own grandmother in the middle of the night.
Speaker 3: Not granny, Not granny.
Speaker 2: Some great stuff.
Speaker 3: What's what happened to poor Grandma? That's awesome, that one lives amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The fact that it's based on a true crime story is wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Last. One one of the biggest things in my life when I was younger, and I've talked about this countless times before, was music. And the first band that really showed me expansive ideas behind music was Queen. And when this got announced, I had to get the four K of Queen, Rock Montreal and Live Aid. I will say this is not great packaging. It's like a flimsy little foldable pack that I mean, it's shrink wrapped and I can kind of fold it. But this is probably never gonna come out in any other way, So I'm stoked to be able to have this one of the best bands of all time, one of the strongest set of musicians ever. Yeah, I can't wait to see it in four K.
Speaker 3: That's awesome, dude. I thought you're a big punk guy though too, were you not?
Speaker 2: Well, I was, but this is where a lot of that started. Like a lot of people that have never dove into Queen other than like the hits. I mean, Queen had like some almost like straight up thrash metal on some of their early stuff, So their diversity is kind of what led to me liking literally everything.
Speaker 3: I have like a box set of their records that came out years ago that I got for free from my work at the time, and it has all their records, so and I barely dove into so much stuff. But yeah, yeah, on Earth Films, I gotta get that pillage of Doom that looks really good. I've never heard of that.
Speaker 2: It's a lot.
Speaker 3: Uh, Granny so worried about Granny.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk about recent watches tonight, but first, after our announcements tonight, we're gonna be discussing blind By. So I wanted everybody to hear that so we could stay, uh, stay, stay after the show blind By. It has been something that's come up lately. Obviously a lot of people are pulling back on how much they're buying with the economy sucking and with the outlook of a lot of things in the shitter. Uh. And I told her the fires in La right.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's the only thing I can think of that's there this month.
Speaker 2: This month. Uh No, it's been a terrifying week. As somebody that works for the federal government, I am definitely not happy at the moment, but doing whatever I can to hide that. So thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get out those ties, get out those shirts.
Speaker 2: No, I'm getting out that reasonable accommodation paperwork.
Speaker 3: Man. Yeah, it started now, dude. Yeah, try to try r do your best. Man.
Speaker 2: Uh, I'm gonna do my best. But blind Bys kind of a contentious subject for some people. A lot of people will say I'm not buying something unless I've seen it first, and to me that's sort of baffling. But also I've not seen a lot of stuff, so a lot of what I buy is a blind buy. But we'll get into the nuances behind that tonight and why we're gonna talk about it. But recent watches. Obviously, today was the Oscar nomination show for a lot of people, and uh we we got to discuss what's been going on. I know you keep up with a lot of recent stuff, but also you watch a lot of classic stuff too, So what have you been watching.
Speaker 3: I've actually been watching a lot of the newer stuff because about to go on a podcast and talk about your favorite films of twenty twenty four, So I have been watching a lot of newer stuff. It's kind of a mixed bag. But I was there this morning, so good job to you guys. It was enjoyable to listen to everything.
Speaker 2: So minutes when i'd run it, the sure to.
Speaker 3: Race out, Oh you gotta get on that zoom call, I get it. Reasonable commodation. So but a recent watch actually did get to of course, I had a bit of a break in there recently where I couldn't watch anything because we didn't have power. We didn't have internet for a bit, but that's no problem because I was watching Blue Race. But then the power went out so I couldn't watch anything, so that's tough.
Speaker 2: But I did watch read them booklets for a week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, by candlelight. That was real fun. I had to tell the kids, like by five o'clock, I'm like, if you want a shower, now, it's the time, because we got it's about to be dark unless you want to, like take a shower by candlelight, like this is the time. But yeah, I watched Hands of Steel, which is actually something that I picked up. I don't know the Blu ray organized but anyway, hands of Steel it is a Sergio Martino movie and from nineteen eighty six, and that's something I watched recently. I had just gotten the Blu ray, I think from from a sale of some I'm trying to remember who I got it from. It doesn't matter. I got it on sale and it was awesome. I had never seen it before, so I was extremely excited for it. It's kind of a terminator ripoff if you haven't seen it, but it's not a terminator rip off. It's also a ripoff, I guess of Over the Top because a good portion of the middle of the film deals with a contest of like arm wrestling, which I wasn't anticipating that much arm wrestling, But there we go. And then it's got a great score. Claudia Simonetti from Goblin does the score really really good? And uh, it's super fun, sweaty as hell, it's but it was a blast, really good time. I finally watched a rewatch, finally, after all these years, finally rewatched The Heroic Trio Oh, which was very fun. I think, I wrote on my letter box it was anwer an empowering story of how three women bonded together through child kidnapping and then fantasized. It's it's a wild movie. But I I remember I was one of the Hong Kong films that I bought on a ripped VHS at San Diego Comic con way back in the day when I was buying Hard Boiled and The Killer and any of those Hong Kong movies I could get because you couldn't get them anywhere, you know. So the changed, Yeah, and now it's on Criterion, so so it was very nice to watch a very cleaned up not a VHS rip of a rip of a rip of the heroic trio. It was very good. I went on a bit of a fest for now. Is he Academy no nominated? I can't remember if he is Jesse Eisenberg, but I watched I watched both of his movies. Oh nice, she's to say. I watched A Real Pain, and I also watched twice when you finished Saving the World. I watched it twice because I'd watched it once. And then very soon afterwards, our oldest said she has a list of movies she wants to watch, and she was like, I want to watch this movie when you finished Saving the World because it has been Wolfhart in it, and she's a big stranger things and she's like, gotta see And I was like, I just watched it. But okay, let's way. I mean, you've got a list, you're you're in a fourteen year old kid, and you have a list of movies you want to watch. We're gonna watch whatever you Yeah, I mean, hell, yes, whatever you want. And so I watched both of this movie. So I'm very up to date on his filmography as a director. I actually kind of really like. I like both of them, to be honest. Uh, did you see a real pain?
Speaker 2: I did see a real pain. I was a real happy person watching it. I was, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: You I heard you talking about it because you love that line and he says in it about his pain and not being extraordinary, which is an amazing line. Yeah, that's an amazing scene. It's a it's really good. And when you finish saving the world, I think, is it's a nice to show the step up from that. But it's got an incredible performance by Julianne Moore and she's really really good in the movie. Oh yeah, that's true. I never thought about that. Yeah, just seeing a movie is a blind by I guess in this sense that's true. Haunted side show, and that's a good call. But but when you're paying a ticket, and you guess when you're in a ticket, you know, but when you've bought like Tombs of the Blind Dead for seventy.
Speaker 2: Dollars, but there's a coffin box.
Speaker 3: Right, and you're like, I gotta have this. It's seventy dollars. I haven't seen it. That's that's that's I guess what we're kind of talking about but okay, real quick. I also then, uh, the next night, our daughter was out, so our son wanted to watch something, so we watched The Invisible Raptor. Have you seen that or I.
Speaker 2: Have not seen it? I feel oh wait, we just announced this physically like a few weeks ago. That's what it did. Yeah, it sounded like genuinely really interesting.
Speaker 3: It is a horror comedy that is too long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, too long.
Speaker 3: Nearly two hours doesn't need to be I needs to be eighty minutes, dude, I needs how.
Speaker 2: How invisible is the Raptor?
Speaker 3: Exactly totally for the most part invisible. There's like one thing time you can see it when they have it on like heat vision or something like. So it's really just there because the response, yeah, there's it's not there, and it's there, I think only because they're like, it'll be funny because we'll have a raptor, but you won't be able to see it. It's got some gore and more gore, but it's all digital and it's it's got a few you know, laughs in it. But it's just way too long. It wears out. It's welcome because it's too long. I rewatched also King Cohen, the documentary Larry Cohen. We just in the podcast talked about God told me to God told me too. That's right, So that's our I got to edit that this weekend.
Speaker 2: So sorry, I don't know why I'm running your podcast.
Speaker 3: I know I love that. You know that. That's amazing. I mean, we it was our fanuary, so we we we asked people what we should watch. Yes, yes you did, and thank you for doing that. If if you're interested in having us talk about an education comedy video about taxes, the Tax Act of nineteen eighty six, you can listen to our most recent episode, tax Attack eighty seven.
Speaker 2: Funny enough. Was about to ask about that after the recent watches, but okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just chatted on Facebook today with the director of that video. Pretty funny, just funny how that happens. I'm going to try and track down the producer and see if I can get like some kind of interview for the website. But he didn't remember much about it. He had to kind of look it up because he was just a he was just a director who worked a lot, so he was just sort of broad I think, just brought in so he doesn't really remember it. But too well, so he couldn't answer any questions. But that's fine. He was a very nice guy, and he was very very nice for him and also in the theater. I saw one of them days with our fourteen year old. It just came out. It is a comedy with Keky Palmer, and that.
Speaker 2: One looked really good. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was pretty good. They have good, good chemistry. I thought it was a funny movie. My daughter really liked it. She we had a good time. It's you know we it was Monday, it was a holiday, it's Martin Luther King Day. We were one of six people probably in the theater. But she had been trying to ask friends to go and they kept bailing out on her. So she finally went to somebody that she knows was not going to say no to a movie, and that was me. She's like, will you we go to this movie with me? I was like, one hundred percent, I will go to this movie with you. We'll go to any movie you want to go to. But we had a good time and it was a funny movie, and they do a good job. I'd see the two of them, Uh, you know, if they're going to do other movies, together. I think that would be great, so I really enjoyed it. Also had a guy from the Blackening. Did you ever see that movie?
Speaker 2: I have not finished it yet. I start it's very good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I have it up here. It's the guy and the main guy who wrote it and is in it is also in it as a like a cameo. It's got a lot of funny people in it in one of them days. But Blackening, and I always keep bringing up because I think it's a really funny one of the better horror comedies of recent recent years. Right, But that's it for me. That's you know. Rather I could go down a whole bunch of things I've been watching, but we'll just keep it.
Speaker 2: No, it's It's nice because my list is very short this week if I wasn't working on a title. So there's I think two that I've seen this week that I can't talk about. I saw one in theater and one at home, and the rest of the time was spent in depression basically. The one in theater. Took my kids to see the fortieth anniversary of The Goonies in the theater and it's the first time I seen on the big screen both of my kids fell in love with it. We told them what it was going to be going into it. In What's funny is they had seen it, but they were way too young to see it, uh so they didn't remember anything about it, and uh we we took them in and told them what it was gonna be and they were both like, we'll see, that's kind of a boring whatever. Literally, not five minutes in, my oldest looked at me and said, this movie is gonna be amazing because of what he was already seeing. It was so great. He loved the prison break scene. He was so stoked on it. And then I think early on somebody says shit and he's like, I'm in I can hear cuswords.
Speaker 3: That's, you know, whatever the buying's gonna be. I saw years ago at like Hollywood Forever Cemetery when they sort of do that series over the summer where they like show movies up on the wall and yeah, and have people camp out and hang out and maybe smoke pot and watch movies. But I don't know, some of those things are are voluntary, including watching the movie to be a cuite frank. But we watched it, and this is the first time. I've seen it a long time. I was obsessed with that movie when I was a kid. Yeah, I love goonies. I would just imagine all my friends and we all had our little gang and we can. I was obsessed with Keihu Kwan and like all his gadgets. I thought that was the coolest thing on earth.
Speaker 2: Same.
Speaker 3: Uh. So it's it's a movie that when watching it again as adult, I'm like, this movie shouldn't work. It doesn't have a plot really, but it works. It just it just works. I don't know what it is. It has an energy that just works.
Speaker 2: I enjoy it so much, especially more on a big screen. It's like genuinely magical. On a big screen. It feels just literally like this is such a cliche word to use, but it feels like such unadventure. It is so just yeah, I'm along for the ride, love every moment. And then, of course you know that we watched that. We have a great time, and the kids have both already seen this a few Christmases ago, but I went, hey, you loved this, let's talk about Kremlins, and so we put Gremlins in, okay, and I felt like the nerdiest movie lover to my nine year old. We sat down. I'm like, okay, so listen. The same guy that wrote the movie you just loved wrote this one. Look, here's an actor from the first one. You recognize him. Now he's in a weird bandit and they're terrible. Also, you see this guy. His name is Dick and he's one of the most famous actors of all time, and nobody knows his name and he's amazing. And then I'm like, one day I'm gonna teach you about Roger Corman and you would be very proud of the conversation that followed. But it was so much fun just to watch him be like, I don't care about anything that you're saying right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, don't really. Just let me watch a dumb movie. Did you did? What are your kids?
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 3: Guys celebrate Christmas.
Speaker 2: In the most non religious but let's have a good time and take a breath to be present with each other. Type of very cliche lights, Christmas tree presence.
Speaker 3: We only celebrate it in the very religious.
Speaker 2: When I was young, my parents forced us to have a Happy Birthday Jesus cake, So I get it.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, No, I've never done that.
Speaker 2: But I'm not kidding. By the way, for all commentors that are already typing not kidding.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I I we have. I've not shown that to our kids because I think, I think maybe this is the year we can do it. But there's a monologue there that could ruin Christmas if you're not if you have any sort of belief in there. So that's why I've avoided it. But I love Gremlins. I love the sequel maybe even.
Speaker 2: More watching't that this week?
Speaker 3: I adore it. It's totally nuts. It is totally nuts quickly. Yes, Dwayne Perkins, by the way, is thank you for the comments. He's the one who wrote the black inane and is in that movie. And what's this other one here? Oh, hundreds of beavers. I gotta totally agree with Jim there half an hour too long, really fun and enjoyable and inventive. There's no reason for that movie to be an hour and forty five minutes.
Speaker 2: It's too long, I I agree, but at least the length is fun and not I want to put a log in my eye.
Speaker 3: It's NonStop gags, and I do love that. I mean, as a guy who you know, did the make them ups for a living. I completely appreciate the amount of gags in that movie, but it's like it's a little much. And my wife Erica, who is a co host on the show, was kind of coming in. I'm just I'm married just for the podcast. It's only for the podcast.
Speaker 2: It's a show man's for a podcast.
Speaker 3: Just just to make that, just to make that, got it? We want buy in from people. I would not normally listen to this podcast because it concentrates the New World pictures, but there's a married couple, and I feel like, okay.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: She kept coming in while I was watching hundreds of beams and she kept me like, are you still watching this? What does this movie ever end? And I was like, yeah, I mean it's a little long.
Speaker 2: It's a little long, to be fair. It's literally like a Looney Tune short yet like seven of them, and I can see how after five you're like, huh, this is so funny. I want to go do something else. Totally get that feeling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's like, I mean, I hey, I bought it. It was a blind by, but did you spring for the wood slipcover? I did not? I did not? I did Yeah, I went for the one, the partner label, the Vinegar Center partner label, So you know those are one of those things though that like, if I see it on a good deal, do I upgrade? I'm so stupid, I know I probably will.
Speaker 2: I love that a wood slipcover is an upgrade in our eyes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not dumb, but I would be like, I would be like, I don't need that, I have one. I has a slipcover. I'm good. See a good deal hmmm, that wouldn't slipcover. I'm intrigued, not bad.
Speaker 2: Was it actually chewed by a beaver? Because in that case, I don't know it could be.
Speaker 3: All right? Did you see anything else?
Speaker 2: No other than like episodes of Deep to try to bring a true smile to my face. And then streaming service I believe you're familiar with. I watch a lot of drop Out. Oh, spent some time with Sam Reich this week for sure to try to cheer me up. Yeah, genuinely been a really rough week. Yeah yeah, check in on your friends. I don't mean to make light of this, but I mean there's a lot of people unsure of what their future is like. And the sad thing is we have already seen so many changes. I could be talking about seventeen different groups of people and you don't know who I'm talking about, and that means check on everybody. It's a scary time right now.
Speaker 3: Well just remember too that everything that can that is being done can be undone so far, and we have the courts kind of kind of so I mean, but yes, you know, I think Veep is an incredible show. I absolutely adore that show. A friend of mine, Sam, was on that show, and.
Speaker 2: It's Sam Richards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's he's he's a very funny dude. And he's very funny in that show. That might be almost like Detroiters is so good. Yeah, it's on Netflix right now. People should check it out. I think I think it's on Netflix or Prime. It's on one of those. And but this might be a little this might be a tough time to watch Veep because I watched it through the original the original run, when it was kind of like ha ha ha, how ridiculous, And now I'm very intrigued to like rewatch it, but I think it might be like, oh wow, this is this is real. This feels really too real.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the great some of the gags I've wished for it to be like the worst of what we're seeing.
Speaker 3: Have you have you seen in the Loop too? Did you see that.
Speaker 2: In the Loop? Don't recognize the title?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the same. It's the same creator and it's essentially how the show was started out sort of as a British show. He made a movie version, James Gandlafini's in it. Extremely good movie, very funny, very cutting, and then they sort of did the American version of the original show sort of, but that became a morphed into deep. But Armando Iannucci is the creator. He was also a writer on Alan Partridge Show and a bunch of great British stuff and anything he does I pretty much will check out. It was Oh, yes, think of the Thank you, Paul, Yes, to think of it is the spinoff show, Yeah, which is great, really really funny.
Speaker 2: I trust you recommendations more of than movies. So it is on the list.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you. I will disappoint you, I'm sure at some point.
Speaker 2: Don't worry. Everybody does.
Speaker 3: Have you ever seen in a Violent Nature? It's really good? Check it out?
Speaker 2: Oh man. Well, on that note, how do you feel about the Oscar nominations? Are you happy with them?
Speaker 3: I don't care. I mean, okay, well you know, I mean, I mean like it's fine, like I have not seen as usual, there's a couple of the movies that I have not seen, and I'm like, okay, I guess I'll watch some of these. And I guess I should have seen it coming because of the Golden Globes. But I was looking for the movie today. What is the one I'm forgetting the name all of a sudden, the one that won all the Golden Globes with Zoe's oldonna. Yeah, Amilily Press, which, by the way, I looked at on on Netflix and I was just going through all the different tiers and just waiting for it to show up. I'm like, it just got nominated for an Oscar. Let's see it where it'll be right there. I had to. I had a search for it. Mike, You're your algorithm is so dumb, dude. That's awful. That's awful. I was even looking for your for your your movie and I couldn't find it. But anyway, I so, I haven't seen a ton of them, but I always feel like they're not wholly representative of what we see. And you know, so I think you kind of take some of the wins. There's a couple of good nominations in there that I think are good, you know, you just but I I just don't look to those shows too, you know, to give me validation. So I am going to vote. I vote in the SAG Awards, so you know, I'll be I'll be interested in what that comes about, because I'll i'll i'll put my energy into that.
Speaker 2: It's uh, it's never obviously all telling about what the the state of film is, but also the way I look at it, and I know a lot of people pull the whole. I don't care about award, so I'm not gonna watch or anything. But also I care about move and these have a genuine impact.
Speaker 3: That's a fair point. So yeah, and I used to like make it absolute viewing, you know, yeah, but I think in I think I'm coming it. And then every year there'd be a bunch of movies I hadn't seen. So it was hard to like get into it because parenting kind of makes seeing everything big challenges. I'm sure you are aware, and so I'm now making more of an effort to try and see everything. And so but I had not seen a million Perez. I haven't seen The Brutalist, and then I was going to see it, and then I heard all the AI stuff and I was like, should I prioritize that one? So I haven't seen it yet. Not only that it's four hours long, so you know that that takes a real that takes scheduling.
Speaker 2: The three and a half hours has been the biggest thing for me, And to be fair on the AI not to go too deep into this, because we probably should start announcement. It's forty three minutes into this.
Speaker 3: They love this banter.
Speaker 2: The editor of the film fed his own voice and the actor's voices into respeechures, so it is AI, but it's with the creators consent using only their voices. That feels a little more authentic to me. And then the other part is they they fed in pictures of architecture to be able to create more pictures of similar architecture that do not exist. Essentially, that that part's a little more sketchy to me than the voice aspect. But I don't know. It's a big discussion that's gonna need to be had. I mean, a lot of people have zero tolerance for it, and a lot of people look at it as a tool. Both sides have valid arguments. It's it's a it's a tough one. I understand not wanting it in any side of creativity, because that's that's kind of the side that I fall on. I don't want people, especially without their consent, having their artistic endeavors fed into an algorithm that they don't get a say in all.
Speaker 3: I agree. I totally agree with that, and I'm just yeah, I'm a little wary of that because I just think, you know, it's every every every change like that throughout any industry is going to start small before it becomes big. So that's what makes me fairly nervous about that. But at the same time, the only thing about the Oscars this year to me too, especially with all the Amelia Perez stuff, is that if the Oscars are way of continuing to push people to go see movies, I love that, and I love it about any Award show, and that's exciting because I want people to go to the movies. I love going to the movies. I really don't want to see that die in my lifetime.
Speaker 2: Agreed.
Speaker 3: If I'm dead, it doesn't matter to me. It can die all at once. But no, but I don't want it to die at all. But like, and I'm an idiot that goes to see plays and stuff I loved, go see stuff, you know what I mean. Like I like to see stuff live and then the flesh, and I like to go see movies, and so, like Amelia Perez, I'm sure they did some sort of perfunctory screenings of it, but like, that's a Netflix movie. Are we getting people to go to the movie theater? The Brutalist has such a specific run. Are people going to the movie theater to see that? Now? Well, they open that up. I know that they opened Anora back up in the theater, so I'm hoping sing Sing all kinds of thing. Yeah, let's yeah sing. Yeah. I haven't seen sing Sing yet and I would love to see that. So if those open back up and I can go see these in the movie theater, thenk that this is great. That's what I want, and people go out in the movies to see this stuff, then I'm all on board. But otherwise it always feels like my favorites of the year and the oscars are sort of like two divergent paths. Yeah, so it's like it's hard to get excited for that for that reason. But if it gets people excited to go to the movies and get people excited about movies, I'm all in favor of it. And any award show I.
Speaker 2: Agree awards are a great way to entice people to modern films. Before we get started on announcements, one thing that gets me excited about older films is wonderful podcast s. Tell people about the New World Pictures podcast and were.
Speaker 3: Well, as the name implies, we talk about New World Pictures, movies. That's what we talk about exclusively, New World Video, New World Television. The Learning Corporation of Americas, a new company we found out that they bought last year. We started watching some of their movies. That's how we talk about Tax Attack eighty seven. We're on our sixth year, if you can believe it. And we also talked to the people behind the scenes. We've got great interviews that are going to come up. We started doing some we started doing some commentaries. We released our first commentary just the end of last year. We're going to do some more commentaries this year. We have a lot of good stuff already planned and in the works, and we're excited for that and we're also going to start doing a series on Roger Corman's graduates, graduates of the Roger Corman Film School, and we're going to be discussing. First off, we're going to be talking about a revealer here. We're going to talk about Jack Hill, and we're going through his filmography from beginning to end and talking about his as well as his New World movies as well as all his other films as well. So it's a great way to you know, talk about all the Jack Hill movies that we know. Eleven. We're just going to go through different people that went through the so called Roger Corman Film School. So yeah, so it's going to be an exciting year. We're excited.
Speaker 2: What about the worldies tell people about.
Speaker 3: Those Yes, we just said the world is the world is speaking of award shows. That's how we end every year. We do a completely made up award show based on purely the movies we've watched in the past year, and we have guests come in and go through the and announce the awards and be presenters quote unquote and give away awards and then yeah, so with something we do every year, it is a lot of fun and it's just kind of a way for us to kind of like celebrate the year. And it's a ton of work for me, but it's it's a lot of fun and we have a great time doing it. So it keeps getting more and more fun every year. And we had we had new categories this year because we have a a small discord of like former guests such as yourself and some of our n w PP v ips, and you know, we had that it's so much, but we've been saying it for years. We said it in jest and then we kept saying it. We thought that's the dumbest thing to call people that like this show, but that's what we do. And uh so we had them vote this year, so they voted as well as us. So it was kind of a lot of fun for everybody to get involved. And you voted as well.
Speaker 2: I did. Uh. If you had to call out a favorite episode in the last I don't know, we'll say two and a half months with the word mountain in the title, what would you say? That would be?
Speaker 3: Oh, I god, I wish there was another title of the mountain. And then I didn't totally say that.
Speaker 2: I had to go chuck before I asked.
Speaker 3: Mountaintop Motel Massacre.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding?
Speaker 3: Oh great, we had the great Uh, we had the great Ryan Barrel in there to talk about a movie and you should really check it out. It's we had a blast talking about that movie. I thought. So it's a fun podcast. We have a good time. We have a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: I never believe me.
Speaker 3: Two of the hosts are married. It's crazy and unbelievable. And the other host is my brother. So it's no way.
Speaker 2: I never would have guessed.
Speaker 3: People do say we look you know, to this day, my brother's ae years older than me. To this day, people are you twins? And I will always go no, you will angrily say no. He said that since we were kids, people would ask if we were twins, and like our height differences were so so so different than like, are you guys twins? Like why would we be different heights? Makes no sense? But anyway, he gets very upset when he got when he gets asked that.
Speaker 2: Of course, all right, let's get into announcements and then, like I said, after this, we're gonna be covering ten films that we blind bought that we loved. We're gonna talk about the blind by experience, why we love it, and what those films are. So here we go, starting off the week with another big acquisition announcement. Last week's was the, of course, the Shout Factory Giant acquisition and now Aero partnering with Shutter. I first of all, love all the comments last week. If everybody's saying Shutter is a prostitute for whoever will pay them, I heard shutter is. I think somebody said Shutter is a blu ray slut. They use that as a as a well, but I do too. I was literally about to say that, I totally I run with that title and I own it. Damn it. We bought it a nor approved, we can own it.
Speaker 3: I don't understand a streaming service. Who's getting into physical media? Why would you have any what's the problem. Hey, they buy films and they distribute their own films, and now they want to put them out on disc put them out everywhere, put them anywhere, put them out. I want them. I just sell them wherever. I mean, what's the problem here?
Speaker 2: I also I loved the amount of people that read this announcement and had zero reading comprehension because the comments were like, all right, maybe we can get a release of in a Violent Nature, or maybe we'll get a better upgraded release of whatever title. And it's like the titles are listed in the post of what they're like. This is the full announcement. Come on, guys, let's read. So let's go through these. They are going with Aero video to put out night Watch from nineteen ninety four, The Sadness from twenty twenty one, Dead Stream from twenty twenty two, No Evil the Original from twenty twenty two, Hughsah The Bone Woman from twenty twenty two, Hellbender from twenty twenty one, night Watch, Damons Are Forever from twenty twenty three, and Perpetrator from twenty twenty three. Hellbender is the only film being released exclusively in the US. Night Watch, Demons Are Forever, and a Perpetrator all receiving a dual release in the US and UK, and the remainder of films are only going to be released in the UK. The Sadness will be in four K, the rest will be on Blu ray. I did leave the typo there on purpose for everybody that was laughing at that. They listed in Variety a very famous, well edited, supposedly publication Nightwatch Daemons Are Forever and I thought that was hilarious for everybody named Damon.
Speaker 3: I may get that dead Stream. I'd love to see what they are gonna put in the UK release for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got the I think it was a German media book release that looked like the Evil Dead two cover. But that's a movie that I think deserves really great special features.
Speaker 3: It's really good. I really dig that movie. And I haven't gotten on disc yet, but I know it won't be on four K, but that's fine. I'm really I love what Aero does. I think they when it's like almost an instant vibe. It's something I want from them, right and I don't mind getting it from you know, from from the British side as well, and if the Blu Rays region too, I don't care. It's fine. I'll get that. So so I'm excited for what they'll do with dead Stream. Curious what sort of extras is they'll do something new. They might just port over what they had, that's fine, so start I'm curious. I'm hoping they'll do something a little extra, but we'll see.
Speaker 2: I'm very excited. This will be the first HD release of Speak No Evil. The original one Eaton had been announced as coming to Blu Ray in the UK and that got canceled. At the time, we were wondering why this is why? Yeah, so that that answers that question entirely, and now hopefully we get good extra since that has not had a release at all. Which great movie, the original and the American remake. Very different, different films, but very good. And honestly, the American one was way better than I thought after seeing that trailer four hundred and twelve time play.
Speaker 3: James McAvoy is so good, dude. He is such a good actor.
Speaker 2: So good and has muscles I did not know existed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was upsetting. I was upsetting as a man of a certain age and also Scottish. I was like, that's really unfair, James, that's unfair. But okay, well whatever, right.
Speaker 2: That is the big Arrow announcement. Next is the first Keno announcement of the week coming on Blu Ray. Hold that Blonde from nineteen forty five has a new two K master coming eventually on Blu Ray. Veronica Lake is the big name here for most people as well. Have you seen this one?
Speaker 3: I have no, I have not seen all of that blonde I this is one of those. And I'm like, well, let's see that Keno sale.
Speaker 2: Who knows this would be a great seven dollars title in a couple of years, I.
Speaker 3: Know, like give it a shot, you know, Veronica Lake, I don't know, let's see.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, very odd eye art on the poster, Like I know she's supposed to be winking, it doesn't look like a wink because they didn't do anything like muscles. It looks like she had a stroke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looks yeah, or yeah, she's she's maybe having Bell's palsy. I don't know. There's something going on there that isn't good.
Speaker 2: He is not.
Speaker 3: It does not scream throw me in the player and let's go. But but you know that's probably the original poster, and that's fine. Could be a very good movie.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna laugh. Now watch we get the film and the main storyline is about Bell's palsy and how you can still be a thief or something.
Speaker 3: No disrespect to people that have been through that, you know what I mean. But uh, but yeah, it does look a little weird. She's got a wonky eye there. Yeah. The Colton's correct. The posters even telling you wait for the.
Speaker 2: Sale all right. They announced Beethoven, Yes, that Beethoven with only Charles Groden coming again to Blu Ray someday soon from Keno. This coming from a four K scan of the OCN, and they think Beethoven only deserves a lateral move from blue to blue.
Speaker 3: I was good. I was gonna ask you about this. I was like, a have a four K scan, but they don't this. I know Keino does this. Sometimes they will sell the regular Blu Ray and then they'll upgrade. Are they just seeing how this sells and then they'll do a four K? I mean, I know it's expensive to do a four case, so maybe they're just seeing how the cells.
Speaker 2: First theoretically, but also, I mean, this is this is the sweet spot. I mean this, this is most people collecting physical media nowadays watch this between the ages of eight and twenty five, and now they're your main customers, and you're just like, eh, let's just do an okay job with it.
Speaker 3: I guess my kids love this movie, so I'll be getting it, you know what I mean? There, maybe our oldest is probably aging out of it, but they still love Beethoven, so it's like I'll be getting it. I'll be picking it up. I think I have it on DVD, so it'll be an upgrade for me.
Speaker 2: By the way, I totally forgot wild cast in this movie, Charles Droden, Bonnie Hunt, Oliver Platte, Stanley Tucci, David Dukevney, Patricia Heaton. Like the names not stop on this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's Beethoven. Yeah, I mean it's I'm I am shocked that they they don't do for the you have the four.
Speaker 2: K, you have it, right?
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't really understand it, and they don't often do HDR right, So it's.
Speaker 2: Like no unless was done before for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I don't know if they have to if it's is it going to be that much more expensive just to do the four K? I mean, I don't know. That's a that's a question for Frank, I guess, But I just I don't understand why they wouldn't do it.
Speaker 2: But and Jim could be right. It could be that the four K rights for this one are too expensive, but it's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: At the same time, there's already a Blu ray out there and it's not egregiously bad. It's not like a stupendous blue ray. But it's not egregiously bad. Just just don't license it. It's still in print, like you can still get it for like eleven dollars right now? Why release this for fifteen?
Speaker 3: A Steffino seventy five? Who's clamoring for this to be on four K? Well, I am, I suppose you're talking to two of us. They're talking about it, so I guess the two of us.
Speaker 2: I mean, if that's the case, why do a four K scan of the OCN right?
Speaker 3: The only issue is that it's already been scanning four K, So why not? I mean, it's okay if you don't, I'll still get it. I'm still probably gonna pick it up. But yeah, it just feels like it's the avenue there. But you know, maybe like it, like Kim was saying, maybe it's just too expensive.
Speaker 2: All right, let's let's keep going Beethoven talk.
Speaker 3: This is great. He's almost got heated. I love it.
Speaker 2: I didn't think that a dog would be the most controversial thing we discussed.
Speaker 3: This is awesome. We're off the good start.
Speaker 2: Flicker Alley. We don't get to talk about them enough. They don't put out a lot, but when they do, it's pretty much the highest quality that you're gonna see on them. March fourth, they are releasing as part of their Flicker Fusion series Behind the Door from nineteen nineteen and Below the Surface from nineteen twenty. These are paired for the first time, both newly restored and available in their most complete versions. You've also got original scores for both of these. They've been re edited and retitled for Behind the Door at least, and that's the Russian version as well. You've got a bunch of extras on here. There are short films, there's essay, all kinds of stuff to make this worthwhile. The big thing for those that don't know about Flicker ally because we don't talk about them enough, their stuff can come across as expensive, and I get that nobody's necessarily gonna argue with that. On release, this will likely be thirty five dollars and you're thinking, what that's that's high for what just seems like a couple of silence, And that's true. Uh, but you're also literally like giving money to pure like blood, red sweat and tears pulled poured into this film. Restoration and everybody archiving this properly. If flicker Ally does incredible work, this is gonna be a magnificent release.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I'm not familiar with the movies. I don't know a ton about silent movies. I've seen some of this, you know, the bigger names, but you know this a they do good work. That's what it's all about. The film restoration is the joy physical media.
Speaker 2: So yep. And if that's not enough flicker Ally for you, they're also doing Merry Go Round. This is from nineteen twenty three. This is flicker Ally working together with black Hawk Films again to present, for the first time ever on Blu Ray, the new restoration of Merry Go Round. This is let me see what they said here, thanks to the dedicated restoration efforts of black Hawk Films with a support of the Sunrise Foundation and many archives throughout the world from Austria, Denmark, France and Moore. In a deluxe Blu Ray edition, this is gonna have a commentary. You will get to explore Vienna in the years before World War One. Was seventeen minutes of historical footage, which, honestly, that kind of stuff I always love to see on discs.
Speaker 3: That would be rad that would be rad.
Speaker 2: Nothing is ever gonna look like that again, and it's so cool to see stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Eric dron Stroheim, So I meant this one intrigued, so I you know, but that'd be pretty cool. I haven't been to Vienna in decades, but it was I did go there once and it's a beautiful city, so that footage would be really interesting to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There's also a new restoration of a film called Old Heidelberg from nineteen fifteen included on this as well.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah one, everyone's seen that. Everyone's seen that one.
Speaker 2: Behind the scenes of the new restoration with the film restorer, which loves stuff like that, and then a new essay on the production, and then of course Fidelity Emotion did the authoring, so you know it's gonna look as best as it could.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. I love a bonus movie. When you're buying a movie that's that's the best.
Speaker 2: It's literally the best extra. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gold Ninja does that all the time. I love that about him. And they'll have like a secret movie they hide in their menu.
Speaker 2: On top of the already bonus movie that they advertised, and suddenly there's three or four.
Speaker 3: It's so great, all right.
Speaker 2: Next up is William Tell from twenty twenty four, getting a UK Blu ray release on March third. This is with Kingsley and Jonathan Price. Had not heard that this was a thing at all. You need a commentary on this with the director and the producer and some trailers. Uh yeah, William Tell feels.
Speaker 3: Like we're really desperate for that ip. That's what this kind of screamed to me. But I have not seen the film. It might be amazing, it might be an incredible movie about this, but according to someone, it's a rousing, old school Hollywood epic. What's funny?
Speaker 2: But you've were done. I was about to say, you know, I've heard there's some powerhouse performances.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know. It could be great. I don't know. I had never heard of it until you made this announcement, and I was like, geez, but that was, sadly my first cynical thought, like really scraping the bottom there that people know William Tell sort of at least vaguely, so we should make a movie about it.
Speaker 2: Next year was seeing Newton and the Apple.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Johnny Appleseed, one of a trilogy, an action epic Okay.
Speaker 2: Oh, man, go ahead too. The next one. This is man, this, This is gonna be really cool for a moment, and then I'm gonna say something really crappy about this. March nineteenth, Australia is getting a release from Madman Films of the Adam Elliott collection. Adam Elliott is the one that did Mary Max and this last year's Memoir of a Snail Oscar nominated. This is the first time on Blu ray of all of his shorts everything. This gets everything he's ever done, plus a fifty six page booklet and six art cards. This is an excellent release. That being said, the shitty part here is the label released Memoir of a Snail two weeks before they announced this was coming out, and a lot of people bought Memoir of a Snail and would have rather had this, And so it's not gonna be a bad release for those of us that are seeing it now. But that is kind of really shady to do it like that. Who do they?
Speaker 3: Who do they think they are?
Speaker 2: They're madmen?
Speaker 3: Well that's a bummer to hear that. But I was when I saw this. I was very excited because I just saw a memoir of its snail and so funny. No great comedy glory, No, it's it's yes, silent manimal. Indeed it is. Uh, it's such a good movie. But I'm lucky that I was going to show it to my kids. I was like, oh, let's I'll save this up and I'll watch it with the kids. And I finally decided to do it on my own. And I was like, oh good, because this was, uh, well it ends. It ends on a good note, but it is a uh it is a ride, emotional ride. But I really dug it, So I I'm excited for this collection. So I did not buy the disc So this looks awesome. So as long as it's good for people like me that missed the original, it is and hooray.
Speaker 2: And if you want this, you can pre order it now from Orbit. Uh they've already stated they're getting some in so that is a really easy way to get that for those that have never seen it, and maybe you've never seen Memoir of a Snail either, Mary Max Frickin' masterpiece. Genuinely like an incredible modern filmmaker. He is incredible at what he does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a Memoir of his Snail was awesome. So I was excited that that denominations. I was very excited that got nominated because it's well deserved, well deserved.
Speaker 2: Keep a note, though, this does say art, not final. Perhaps they're gonna make those nipples just a little bit bigger, you never know.
Speaker 3: Just tweak the nipples. I mean, that's what I always say.
Speaker 2: That's what I've heard. Uh, it's that a clay version of Charles Nelson Riley.
Speaker 3: Now I can see that. Now, I can't see it any other way now.
Speaker 2: And now I desperately hope that is the final art. Oh man, Yeah, let's go to the next one. Hey, Speaking of Australia, Umbrella had a hell of a slate well all coming on May seventh. This first one is the one that they've been teasing for a while, The Fall from two thousand and six coming on four K. I'm gonna scroll through some of the key art here. This is the first time that it's been in four K, although it is coming in four K and the US later this year from Mobe and at some point, I mean, movie might do it in the UK as well, but I'm sure it gets a UK release on four K as well. This is what many many people have called literally the most beautifully shot film ever. Obviously that's hy praise, but it truly is a gorgeous movie. This We've got a audio commentary by Tarzan Singh himself. We've got an audio commentary with some actors, producers, co writers. We've got some interviews on this, making of a visual essay by Rotten Nerhu. We've got the Quest for Origins Trauma Cinema and Storytelling in the Fall by Anton Battill, some deleted scenes making of and then of course it's an Umbrella release, so it's gonna come with all this fantastic art cards and written essays and all of that. How do you feel about The Fall?
Speaker 3: It's this has been one that people have been waiting for for a long time, and I think it was like somebody found a four K scan of it and that's how this kind of came about. This is great news. Big fan of losing my religion.
Speaker 2: I saw that.
Speaker 3: I've seen a lot of Tarzan's work, particularly that video, which I've seen about probably five hundred times when it was playing on regular rotation on MTV.
Speaker 2: And in every video store.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my god, everywhere. But no, this is a beautiful movie. I'll sell it to people that haven't seen it by saying, this is Tarsan's Adventures of Baron Munchee. That's how I would sort of describe it. And it's about sort of storytelling and this girl and the guy and she starts to imagine the story that he's telling her, and it is just gorgeous look at like incredible cinematography. So I will be picking this up. It's it's good, it's worth getting. Yeah, I'm excited for this one. I think Umbrella I agree who Paula thinks that in the comments it's an incredible slight This month from Umbrella just wild. But this is like, this one feels like, holy crap, well done.
Speaker 2: Craig points out this film shouldn't be mentioned without saying ko Ishioka's name. She's a huge reason why this is so beautiful. True. True. The other thing to point out to Umbrella has not had the best reviewed discs previously. They've had some problems on some four K, some compression issues and stuff. They made sure to advertise that this is being authored by Fidelity in Motion, and that's literally already the second time we've mentioned that, and we've not even been doing announcements like fifteen minutes so far. Yeah, proves how important David Mackenzie's work is to all boutique physical media right now, when you can say one company's name and everybody goes, oh, thank goodness, Okay, I can trust it. That's a bit.
Speaker 3: True, so true. Yeah, there are some issues. I do love Umbrella, and I ordered a lot of stuff from them because I really do dig what they're doing. But but yeah, I love their box sets are just awesome. They're so gorgeous to look at. But this movie is really good worth getting, I think.
Speaker 2: And has been really difficult to find on Blu Ray. It had a US Blu Ray and it has gone from like thirty dollars to second hand market like seventy dollars. This is This is likely worth a purchase, whether through Umbrella or wait for a movie. Nobody's going to say either way. But if you've never seen this, strong recommend great one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are there fans of Immortals out there? Seven is asking I don't know. I saw in the movie theater. It was pretty empty, but I saw it. I was there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah, Fideliu motion kills it. Yeah, absolutely. Next title from them is Shutter from two thousand and four. This is a title that I like, definitely have not seen it it probably since two thousand and six or seven. Damn fun movie. Absolutely worth it. It definitely feels early two thousand and if you've never seen it, I think that if you are nostalgic for that time period and the whole jhor Khor type craze that was going on back then, you probably like it this one. If you get the big Umbrella box, you get the four khdr feature, forty eight page book with behind the scenes experiences and essays, custom rigid slipcase, custom slipcase artwork, eight art cards, reversible poster. It will be a numbered release, and then the on disc extras you the audio commentary with Pierce Conran and James Marsh, new interview with the directors, new interview with the writer and director, new shadows Out of Asia, Shutter and the Asian Horror Boom by Travis Johnson, and then some behind the scenes and seals gallery. Have you seen Shutter before?
Speaker 3: I haven't. That was when I was trying to squeeze in before to before tonight, but I didn't get a chance to. But this looks interesting and I really want to check it out, but I have not seen it.
Speaker 2: Uh, definitely one that. Like I said, if you liked the early wave of Jhorr, you'd probably like this one. It's a good title. Although I will say if you are trepidacious about umbrella stuff, I definitely picture Arrow is probably gonna release this at some point. This screams like an Aero title.
Speaker 3: Though somebody was saying Simner was saying, there's like already five releases of this movie at this point.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes there are. There are quite a few in Blue. Although I believe this is the first four K of this Okay I may be wrong, but yeah, I think this is the first four K.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't seen this. It looks good though, I wanted to check it out. So it is available, So I'm gonna check that one out. See if I'm gonna order it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, next one, This one is a Blu ray, not four K. This is Storm Warning from two thousand and seven. This is Jamie Blanks. If you don't know that name, he's the guy that did Urban Legend. Valentine. Excellent director. This film kind of rules and does not get enough love. For some reason. I think there was a problem with rights. For a while, you couldn't see this for some time. It wasn't available on streaming. I don't think it's had a Blu ray release in the States that's been available or anything like that. This will have a CD soundtrack of the original score that Jamie Blanks did, and the score on this is impeccable, genuinely great. I've bought the CD soundtrack for this before, super worth it. Forty eight page book with behind the scenes experiences and essays and stuff, all the same stuff we just talked about. And then there's a brand new commentary with Jamie Blanks moderated by Cameron Cairns who did Late Night with the Devil. There's an audio commentary from back in the day with Jamie Blanks and the screenwriter executive producers. There's a new behind the scenes featurette deleted scene cast interviews. There's also a new Jamie Blank's trailer reel, and then a new Silent Number short film, which again heavy recommend if you've never seen it. I really like this movie and I think other people would like it. That being said, I also feel like this is setting up for another release elsewhere if the rights have been figured out in Australia. I bet this gets a screen Factory release or a partner label release or something like that eventually.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this says, says screen Factory to me. This is this is one I think you know. This is Everett Derouche script that he wrote the eighties or nineties somewhere around there, and he got his hands on it and he wrote Long Weekend, which is weirdly the one. The last movie that I think Jamie Blank's directed is his remake Long Weekend, which I was like, why hasn't he directed another movie? If anyone else let me know, I'm I'm I'm just I was like shocked to realize that. But Everet Durose wrote, like, you know Razorback and Patrick and Fortress, and he's kind of like written a lot of like exploitation stuff, so I can see why he wanted to make it. And it's definitely if you haven't seen Stort Warning, this is definitely a throwback to those kinds of ozzy exploitation films. So a couple running a foul of a bad bunch of dudes.
Speaker 2: Uh sibbners asking do we know anything about the restoration? I just said, we don't know anything about it. And I don't even know if this was shot on film. Anybody know this two thousand and seven and being cheap, I kind of doubt it was.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't I wouldn't assume it was. It looks like at least what's available in terms of streaming. It looked pretty much like a set that they had, and they probably shot it on video. So I am curious what the restoration. If the restoration looks better than what's on streaming, because if it does that, that would be that would be great.
Speaker 2: Even then it's not a it won't be compressed like streaming, so it'll least look better than that, all right. And then next May seventh, they're also putting out Tie Horror, the eight movie collection. This will include dorm Alone, Phobia, Phobia two coming soon, a lot of land Countdown, and the Promise, along with a suite of new interviews, visual essays, galleries and more. This will have one hundred plus page book with essays by a bunch of individuals, custom artwork, eight art cards, two reversible posters, and this is going to be a four disc set. Lots of new extras on this. Literally every single disc has new interviews new commentaries, new visual essays, genuinely great looking set. If you are new to all this, I gotta say, I believe Coming soon is part of the pun here. Coming soon from air forty four or forty four. But unless you, I don't remember if that pre order already went up. If you, if you already had that pre ordered, obviously that might be a tough spot. But if not, this looks to be the better release because you get seven other films with it.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, this one. I saw this and I was pretty excited. I was able to watch one of them. Countdown. Yeah, which have you seen any of the movies on this?
Speaker 2: I have not, No, I've wanted to.
Speaker 3: So Countdown was okay. It was you know, like kind of a you know a lot of the movies seemed to be in that J horror K horror vibe. It' yeah, a lot of like ghosts and spirits. I was reading through all the different synopsises, and Countdown's more of like a a bad guy that kind of hangs out with these three people live in an apartment and then like bad things happen, but there is still a spiritual element to it.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: It felt like kind of like the setup of it was like okay, but like the second half of it, it really kind of goes into directions. I honestly didn't really expect it to go wow, and I was like, okay, all right, not bad. So, I mean, I'm very intrigued by this set. It's a lot of like aughts and like twenty eleven twenty twelves around that period of like films, so it's it's definitely of all of an era. And I started trying to watch a couple of the other ones that you can find them on the internet archive, but they have no subtitles. So I started watching a couple of the other ones just to see what the style was. But it can't It's hard to know how good the movie is because you can't understand what's truly happening. So but I'm as soon as I saw this, I was like, oh, this looks this looks very interesting, especially with the amount of extras and stuff. And it's just like, Okay, well, this is an exciting release. I'd be really curious to check this out.
Speaker 2: Jeffer saying, hold are these films. I may get one or two of the years wrong here, but I believe they were all from about two thousand and five to twenty thirteen something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, around that around that time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh a cool collection of a time to be a collector with disposable income, Ain't that the fact? Uh, silence says, still waiting a thrilling Bloody Sword and one other release from forty four to forty four to go up for order. Yep, been waiting a while on that thrilling Bloody Sword.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Austrilla, do you not have that one?
Speaker 2: Uh, the Gold Ninja? Yeah, I have the Gold Ninja. Air forty four. Forty four also announced that was coming from them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I have the Gold Ninja one. And it is quite a movie. It is real good.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: I would highly recommend it. I'm curious to see if how Air forty four or forty four does with the if their versions, you know, if they believe.
Speaker 2: I believe there is an actual scan of the negative.
Speaker 3: Ooh okay, well that would be cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But there's something too that Gold Ninja release. I mean that there's kind of like that that grungey quality that almost kind of helps it in a weird way punk rock chart, that's for sure, Yeah, exactly, for sure.
Speaker 2: I think that's it. Yeah, that was it for Umbrella, and then moving on to Discothech, who announced a lot of stuff that people are excited about and a lot of stuff I know next to nothing about the same here, So I'm gonna be a lot of help, will be fairly quiet, just go through some of these details. In twenty twenty five, they're releasing Angel Heart, two thousand and five's alternate universe sequel to City Hunter. This will be all fifty episodes in Japanese with English subs for the first time on Blu Ray anywhere. Then we have The Street Fighter, the animated series. This is going to be SD on Blu Ray, all twenty six episodes in English, and a whole bunch of extras on this one as well. Then we've got common Writer X from nineteen seventy four, the third Common Rider series, races onto Blu Ray all thirty five episodes and Sparkling HD in Japanese with a new subtitle translation. A whole bunch of bonus features coming on this one too, coming in twenty twenty five. Last year they released the fourth installment of the Animal Classmates series, but in twenty twenty five they're also releasing Terrifying Girls High School. The other three titles including Women's Violent Classroom, Lynch Law Classroom, and Delinquent Convulsion Group. That's a lot of adjectives.
Speaker 3: That this is the one I'm most interested in. This is like one of the like pinky films kind of series that they did in the seventy two seventy three. I think that that is when this series comes out. I haven't seen any of them, but I'm curious. Those films are always sort of interesting, just you know, the expectation films at that time, I think are always fascinating. So this that was one that I was pretty interested in then, and I take it back. I did see Angel Hart. It's an incredible performance from Mickey Rourke. I really think it's one of his best work. And Robin de Naro is great in it too, So I did see that. But actually, this is a pretty big year for City Hunter. If you've never seen Jackie Chans City Hunter, it is a unbelievable, crazy film. But they actually did. There's a new City Hunter remake that is on Netflix. You can get it there. So this is this is a what a time for City Hunter. See songs City.
Speaker 2: Oh Man I love that. I think that was today. That's twice that we've used the songs in the Disconnected Universe. I used the Christian Slater songs reference in the Discord earlier today.
Speaker 3: We've been living that since the eighties.
Speaker 2: Bro, It's true.
Speaker 3: It's nineteen eighty nine. Heather, Heather, excuse me.
Speaker 2: Disco Tech in twenty twenty five, releasing The Happiness of the Categories, Kashi Mike's musical horror comedy Uh. This was previously released by Aero but has been out of print and fetching some money on the second nd market. So it'll be nice to have us back in print. Will it have new extras? They don't say the word I knew, so I'm gonna guess not. But it's nice that this will be back out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I have a meks like I have a lot he's I have a lot of blind spots for him, and this is one of.
Speaker 2: It's easy when he's directed four hundred and twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I know, but I've missed a lot of them. And I was like, oh, this would also be a really interesting one. And then I went on, at least you know the people I follow One letterbox and I was like, oh, well, I don't know. It didn't exactly you say, definitely blind by this, but I'm certainly intrigued, especially him making a movie that's a musical like that. To me, I was like, well, I'm interested. I'm definitely interested in how he handled that.
Speaker 2: Knowing what you appreciate, this should be a Ryan Gallen must bake.
Speaker 3: I feel like it. I feel like it is. I appreciate that. I need that push, all right.
Speaker 2: Next is one of so many people are excited about. I'm gonna do my best saying this because I've never heard it said out loud. Uratsu Kidoji and Friends coming on Blu Ray in the US soon from Disco Tech.
Speaker 3: This is another white guy. I say, well done.
Speaker 2: I'm doing better with Asian stuff. I've been working on more Asian films behind the scenes, so I'm hoping to do my best there. This one is a new.
Speaker 3: Eric says that it's Eric says it's apparently absolute filth.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm okay.
Speaker 2: I'll also let me see if any of them say this. No, no, none of the comments here say it. So On Facebook, I got multiple comments that include the words tentacle, porn, so yeah, that's if that's your bag. New historic two K scan and restoration of the last known existing uncut thirty five millimeters prints from a private collection h emphasis on private. Badly damaged print took nine months to restore. They took new astro res development and reduced David's lifespan by years. That's one of the individuals at Discotheque Uncut first OVA series included in sub only SD episode one was very dim and as a restorational there's extensive liner notes and extras and more. So if this is your bag, good luck.
Speaker 3: And it's like they made it look a lot better, that's awesome. I mean, that's that's just I mean, I don't know. I'm I'm gonna go with Eric. I'm gonna probably grab this.
Speaker 2: I know nothing about it.
Speaker 3: Light up that filth. I want to see it.
Speaker 2: Well from filth, we go to prison. Let's talk about Sing Sing getting a Blu ray release from A twenty four. You can pre order this on Blu Ray now. It will be shipping in March, although when they say March, A twenty four has been shipping stuff early, so I wouldn't be surprised if you started getting this like middle of February type of announcements. This is going to include a commentary with the director and co writer Greg Queeter, but the producer, the editor, and the cinematographer. You got a couple of featurettes on here, some deleted scenes, behind the scenes photography. But also you should be able to get this fairly widely. A twenty four has been releasing their their stuff widly for the last handful of months. They do have you know, windows of exclusives on their website and then sometimes they have a four K on their website, but only Blu Ray in the store, So keep an eye out on this. But this is only coming out on Blue Ray, so if you want to save some change, I guarantee this will be cheaper elsewhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I haven't seen this yet, but I'm really excited for it. As I said, I like to see plays, so you know, theater inside of a prison. I'm like I am in so, so I'm excited to see this one.
Speaker 2: It's also exciting and I just talked about this someone on the other podcasts that Sing Sing finally just got its wide release. It technically premiered in I don't know, September or something like that. But finally for the Oscars just had a wide release like two weeks ago, and it's the first film ever to premiere simultaneously in theaters and in prisons at the exact same time, which A twenty four likely just did that to get a nice headline out of it. However, I still I really like that story. It's a really yeah way. It's very humane, helps, you know, helps the hopeful nature of individuals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like it right, Yeah, me too, Me too, supposed to be They're supposed to be in there for rehabilitation. What's better than, you know, watching an inspiring story about prison positivity. Yeah, exactly, come on.
Speaker 2: I'm all about it. The art on this one looks good. I really knew Ce sink singh it's me too. Well, that's on my list. Film Masters one of the favorite labels of a handful of individuals I know. They are putting out the New Adventures of Tarzan from nineteen thirty five. This is the twelve chapter serial that got a brand new restoration. Not many people can do that, and film Masters is one of them. Glad they're putting us out. This is coming on their archive collection on January twenty eighth, So literally next week and you can preorder it now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is not one that I've seen obviously, but film Masters, I love what they're doing. Their disc look great. They started off with a couple of great Roger Corman stuff, so of course I bought in early and I was like, yeah, I love what they're doing. So I don't know. I mean, I'm intrigued because I think they do incredible work over.
Speaker 2: There, Greig. They were the New Adventures at the time. You might be Old Adventures now.
Speaker 3: The New Old Adventures of Tarzan.
Speaker 2: Matthew wants to know how did Tarzan stay so clean shave?
Speaker 3: He's got a knife, holding a knife. He's got a knife. Who gave him a knife? Is what I want to know. That's crazy? How did you get a hold of that? Where did that monkey find a knife?
Speaker 2: From Jade? Our next time, we're talking about April eighth, Well Goes releasing Jade from twenty twenty four. This is with Mickey Rourke and Shana West and a little known India actor Mark Dkoskis is in this. This says after a brother's untimely and accidental death at her own hands, Jade swore she'd never pick up another gun. But when she unknowingly comes between powerful businessmen Torque and her former gang leader and their urgent search free valuable hard drive that could single handedly take down Interpol, Wow, she may not have a choice. With the guidance of Reese, an old friend at Interpol, Jade must come to terms with all she's faced in the past and present, or sorry, in the past and present, to safeguard her growing family's future. The trailer for this makes this look pretty damn rad This movie looks great.
Speaker 3: I watched the trailer too, and I was like, well, I'm interested. The guy who directed this seems like he's done allotted like d t D TV stuff, and I was like, okay, well that's why it's no mark against him and I the trailer. This looks awesome. I'm just nervous that we just got to see all the best stuff from the movie in the tailor. But I'm certainly interested in checking out the movie, So yeah, it looks good to me.
Speaker 2: I definitely want to see this one. Looks fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it looks good.
Speaker 2: Next the Creep Tapes, the Shutter TV series getting a Blue Rail release on April twenty seconds loved the Creep films. So glad that second site was able to put out the first one. Just speaking into the ether, you better also have the second one in the works, because we definitely need a blue ray release of Creep two. Did you watch the Creep tapes?
Speaker 3: Right? I have not watched any of the Creep films or the Creep tapes. I this one. I don't know why. I think because this one was just streaming, So I never saw Creep originally. I don't think it played in theaters.
Speaker 2: Right, so just Netflix.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know why I didn't. I just didn't see. I remember that when the first one came out. I saw the trailer a few times and I just didn't. I don't know, I just miss it, just missed me. Just one of those things. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this this feels like a very Ryan film as well. This has some aggressively awkward comedy moments.
Speaker 3: And then just that's my style.
Speaker 2: And then on top of that, they pulled out this like awkward horror that makes so like creep is the perfect word. It's so unnerving the way that they did some of this.
Speaker 3: Oh that sounds good. Yeah, I mean I like the guys that made it. I mean, I don't know, I just never got around to it, but I'd like to check it out aggressively. Fine apparently so, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've not seen any of the series yet, but the two films I tried.
Speaker 3: I would start with the movies.
Speaker 2: Yes, ye, Silent Mandible says, I've heard that they're working on the third one. I hope. So they've been supposedly writing that for like nine years or something. I would certainly love to see a finale to the trilogy. All right. Next, Scream Team releasing. We talk about these guys probably every I don't know, three months or so that they put something out. February fourteenth, they are releasing Lukilu from twenty twenty five. This is a brand new movie. This is a indie horror. If you've never followed Sco Team releasing, this says a budding documentarian's innocent passion for filmmaking morphs into a harrowing obsession, leading him down a dark path of stocking and filming women. His newfound hobby sets off a descent into darkness, from peaking through windows to home invasion to cold blooded murder. Themes of voyeurism, violence, and the power of images drive the narrative creating a chilling atmosphere with gritty, disturbing imagery. Loki Lou will leave you terrified long after the credits roll. On disc features, we get an audio commentary, a Scaring is Impolite documentary, interview, cutting room floor, film festival, Q and as, and trailers. This will be a press disc. It is not a BDR and if you want, they have this upgrade of bundle that you can get with a signed Blu ray poster, an evidence bag, a bloody house key. Not sure why you want that, but you can black rubber glove, crime scene tape, a wanted flyer, and a mask cutout. I also wanted to shout out I know that we talked about punk music. Ever so shortly earlier, I got really excited. I put on the trailer for this to see if it was something I was like I'm excited to post about, or it was just like begrudgingly post about. And they come up in the credits says this film is scored by a band called Harley Poe that I've followed for years and years. Okay, they used to be a Christian band called Calibredo thirteen and then they aggressively left religion and kept the exact same sound but put up a middle finger to the heavens. And they are incredible at what they do. They have a song called the Girl Had Syphilis, and it is it is so so funny. But yeah, to know that they are scoring a film like this, I am. I'm excited. I need the Blu Ray.
Speaker 3: She had syphilis. So it's like a happy story. It's like a real happy ending to that song.
Speaker 2: Everybody after this go to Spotify, look up the Girl had Syphilis and please laugh.
Speaker 3: Looks like a bloody key is coming to your door pretty soon, there, Ryan Berrel.
Speaker 2: I don't need I don't need all the extras. I just want the Blu Ray.
Speaker 3: But well, you might as well go for it. You might as well go for it. Bl just your own.
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 3: The plot sounds a little bit like a movie called Sweet Kill. The New World released. It is one of Curtis Hanson's churs. Hansen's first directorial effort, Just ah ta tab Hunter walking around Venice looking in women's uh windows and stuff and yeah, and Roger Corman adding extra nudity to it uh to be able to sell it as as the Arousers which is how he released it. But that's neither here nor there. Uh this I'm you know, I'm interested. I don't know if I need all the extras, but I'm I'm stoked for whoever is such a lucky loopan that they're like, oh my god, the bloody key, this is amazing, Like I but that's that's so I know there's someone there that's super fun for it. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: So this is gonna sound like I'm defending the Chatchki's I am not. However, I am genuinely impressed. If you go to their website, just the Blu rays twenty bucks, this whole bundle only thirty five, Like for a poster, a mask, all this stuff, a glove, a house key, real blood, Like thirty five dollars is not that bad?
Speaker 3: Did they say real blood? Did I miss that?
Speaker 2: I'm assuming they put real blood on it. You couldn't use fake blood. Who would believe that?
Speaker 3: You're like, come on, it's thirty five dollars. Some real blood on that key?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Is that before shipping? Come on, I've paid, you know, get some real blood on there. Yeah, I mean that is that is pretty good price point? And uh and I honestly, there's you know, there's someone out there that has decided to get that key and I love that.
Speaker 2: And most of them probably worked on the film. But hey, let's go.
Speaker 3: I didn't say. Yeah, I mean, but they're still excited. That's the point. They're still excited.
Speaker 2: As we say in our network, every podcast is somebody's favorite podcast.
Speaker 3: Right's right, that's correct, that's all right.
Speaker 2: March seventeenth, the UK is getting a release of a Touch of Love from nineteen sixty nine from Studio Canal as part of their Vintage Classics line. In this cover you might recognize a slightly younger Ian McKellen with not gray hair.
Speaker 3: I did not recognize him, so I had to read his name on there to be like that's Ian McKellen. I did not recognize him at all.
Speaker 2: This has some new extras. We've got an interview with whars Hussein, interview with Dame Margaret Drabble. It's a very UK name new a Touch of Love tribute or featurette on Sir Ian McKellen, and then some archival features and then a go into details on the restoration. I love when we get details on the restoration work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean Studio Canal. I love the work that they do. I've not seen this movie, but I'm certainly interested. Sandy Dennis and Ian McKellen like, that's intriguing. Speaking of God Told Me Too with Sandy Dennis does a couple scenes in that movie. It's the only New World movie she's ever appeared in, so and she's a fantastic actor. I know, right, I'm always surprised some people have the good taste to stay away from New World, which is you know, I'm always I'm proud of them, But.
Speaker 2: Most of the time I think of it like quick saying, you just assumed that they were there for a few days, they couldn't get out.
Speaker 3: Well, a lot of it had to do with the fact that it was Larry Cohen, and Larry Cohen was shooting at in New York and at that time he would do this a lot. He would he go to people on that were doing plays on Broadway or off Broadway and be like, hey, come on in during the day and get your you know, make it shoot for a few days. She only shopped for a couple of days. She's in like two or three scenes, and you know, you get a nice paycheck. You're in a movie and you can still make your matinees and your plays that night, and they work around for theater schedules. So people were always willing to do that for him. So yeah, and he gets Sandy Dennis in his movie, you know. So it's like it just everybody wins.
Speaker 2: And it always worked for Larry. I mean even with the Chicago PD that's the best part. Little Q the wing serpent humor lets carry on, says as I transitioned into Inspector Wrex.
Speaker 3: I don't know this one. Don't know this one.
Speaker 2: Via Vision is releasing Inspector Rex the original series one and two on Blu Ray on March twenty sixth. This is coming in Australia, of course. This is the first time it's been on Blu Ray anywhere in the world. All twenty nine episodes from the first two series fully remastered in HG in widescreen for the first time on disc. You've got the original Austrian broadcast order uh and no extras.
Speaker 3: I don't think is the Rex invisible? I don't know. I could be in if that's the case. This I've not seen this, I don't I'm not aware of it. I will say, I just started watching Deadlock, which is an Australian show. I don't know if anyone's heard of it. Really good. No, it's not Inspector Rex. It's tangential, tangentially related to what we're talking about in the loosest of all basises. But still there you go.
Speaker 2: The cover you can't even take seriously, like he's looking at some danger. On the right, he like his mouth isn't closed. On the left visible gun dog's mouth open.
Speaker 3: Is the dog right that? If the dog solves all the cases, I us spend all the money for via vision to send that to me. I'll pay the ship. The dog figures it out, and they're just waiting on him to figure it out. Per episode I'm.
Speaker 2: In, Matthew says, please tell me the dog can talk.
Speaker 3: Please. I would be so in. I'll look it up.
Speaker 2: Let's get out of here. Indicators In the UK today they announced a handful of titles. These are all coming to UK only on April twenty first, no US releases here, and they're all classic Holleywood again, like they've been doing quite a bit of this. First one Little Man, What Now from nineteen thirty four. This is with Margaret Sullivan. You got a two K restoration on this one, an in depth discussion on the film by Jeff Andrew. You've got an appreciation of Margaret Sullivan and let's see brief but significant film career. There's a Wakefield. You've got an image gallery, script gallery, limited edition booklet with new essay by Rick Buren and archival interview. Use uh Indicator, you know, quietly one of the most consistent I say that every time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do such good work. I don't know, little man what now outside of it being a title of a Morrissey song, but from his first solo record, back before he lost his mind or he was he he was lost his mind in a way that we were all comfortable.
Speaker 2: With the comment that says, I guess Morrissey likes this movie.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, who said that?
Speaker 2: Celeste?
Speaker 3: Oh Celeste, yeah, thank you, thank you, job. You're with me, You're with me. That's what I was like, Oh, that's what I immediately thought of. Oh that's a Morrisey song. Maybe he got it from this movie. I don't know, I've never seen it, but Indicator does amazing stuff. I love everything I've gotten from Indicator. I've never been unhappy so who knows.
Speaker 2: We are getting Inspector Rex punch glory.
Speaker 3: All of the Inspector will work the to the bone.
Speaker 2: If you won't talk, he'll rough you up.
Speaker 3: I mean, I hope we've sold some Inspector Rex tonight. If we've done anything.
Speaker 2: The whoops, I just closed it because I was laughing to Art. I'm gonna get a message from via Vision in the morning and says, what the hell we sold out of our stock of Inspector WREC. So we did not expect that. What happened.
Speaker 3: It's really God wanted to get that create.
Speaker 2: All us IP addresses. Not sure? Can you explain? Here's our next Indicator title. This one is Spawn of the North. This is from nineteen thirty eight from Henry Hathaway, starring George Raft, Henry Fonda, Dorothy Lamore, HD Remaster. On this one audio commentary with Kelly Goodner and Jim Hemphel, we've got an overview of the Lauren L. Ryder pioneering work. They are the one who won an Oscar for contributions to Spawn of the North on Image Gallery, New subtitles and then a booklet of course. New essay by Phil Conkinan some archival introductions. Never heard of this in my life.
Speaker 3: Me neither. But and it's about fishing. I believe fishing territories. That's what they're fighting over. So I don't know. I was like, sounds interesting, but I've never heard of it and never seen it. And it doesn't have a talking dog, so now it looks interesting. I just never seen it.
Speaker 2: On that note, Inspector X is barking action.
Speaker 3: There can't be enough of the Inspector Rex stuff.
Speaker 2: Spot of the North or what my Kentucky family calls our family in Indiana.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. They're north. They're north of Kentucky. My wife's from Indiana. So I know.
Speaker 2: Inspector X report for duty. Okay, we'll leave it at duty. Next one, Dangerous to Know from nineteen thirty eight as well, starring the Wonderful Anime wong A, Keen tamar Off, and Gail Patrick. Uh. This is based on Edgar Wallace's hugely successful play on the Spot.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Joe, Joe just said that in the last Uh. In the last one, then looks like he's trying to hold.
Speaker 2: One in, which is now I'm going to go back to Paris.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he definitely.
Speaker 3: Definitely. He's he's just leaning in enough because he's like, I, I really I have to get going.
Speaker 2: Guys. Listen, listen, can.
Speaker 3: You handle the Spawn of the North Because I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Because I'm gonna bring it to the South.
Speaker 3: This is fun. I got to release to the South. Oh man, you guys know what I'm talking about. Anybody, anybody?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I just really loved that coved up for far too long.
Speaker 3: That's all right. Guys are killing at tonight. Guys are killing it.
Speaker 2: Back to Dangerous to Know two K restoration audio commentary by Jeremy Arnold, Guardian interview with Anthony Quinn from nineteen ninety five, Nurse and Martyr from nineteen fifteen. Surviving extracts from Edgar Wallace's first ever screen credit, with a newly commissioned concertina score by Bernard Wrigley. Then of course a limited booklet included with this by Pamela Hutchinson, and some archival work as well. Anime Wong pretty much always kills it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Kim Tamaroff, who was one of orson Wells's you know, a go to guy in touch of Evil and a bunch of stuff, So he worked with orson a bunch and I don't know the movie, but I mean, certainly the cast is intriguing, like its indicator. I'm sure these are good movies, you know, they don't They have great taste, So.
Speaker 2: I just don't know this. In twenty twenty two, there was a US Quarter celebrating Anime Wong.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, that's cool.
Speaker 2: I didn't know the how amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's incredible, all right, Yes, Stan, anything with Akham Tamaroff is worth a watch. I agree, he's great.
Speaker 2: Speaking of great actors, Gregory Peck, Anthony Quinn, Omar Shariff in Behold a Pale Horse also getting released from them. This is from nineteen sixty four. This one has an HDV remaster twenty twenty five. Academic and film history and Kaitlyn McDonald discusses the transition of the famed filmmaker's novel from the page to the screen. We got a Guardian interview with Omar Sharif from nineteen eighty four, some image galleries and then a booklet by Michael Pattinson and some other archival work.
Speaker 3: This is the one I was probably the most interested in. I know that this wasn't like a I never seen it. I know it wasn't popular at the time when it came out, and it seemed like there was going to be a slam dunk, especially with Gregory Peck and Anthony Greton, Omar Shariff, Fred Zenneman. I mean he's directed. I mean he's an incredible director. So I mean, I'm I saw a little bit of the trailer. I'm very interested in this one. I just haven't I've never seen it. This would probably be one I go to after I bought Inspector Rex, but after after that, I mean, I'll throw this in the car too. This this does look really interesting and I want to check it out.
Speaker 2: This is definitely like if you are if you're shopping an indicator sale and you're one title short of free shipping, this is the one you go, ah that that's a good pool. Let's throw that one in the cart too.
Speaker 3: Anthony said he sent me an anime one quarter and I did not get it.
Speaker 2: I'm the impostor you're the original.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, we said, Oh okay, I read that wrong.
Speaker 2: Anthony sent me a package last year and he got lost in the mail and he's still devastated because it had like a very expensive eBay purchase and an original one print and uh, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's a bummer.
Speaker 2: That's a bummer, Inspector Rex. He knows how. The tail is so spec.
Speaker 3: It's it should be getting old to me, but it's not. I really I can't get enough of it. Yes, give me back show to what Craig said. Behold it behold a pale horse does look really good. It looks good. I'm really intrigued by this one.
Speaker 2: I love how after Craig's weird to Trivia, Travis says we'd been to trivia. Inspector Rex is a talk.
Speaker 3: Who knew? Who knew?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, you know what, he's the best dog in the forest.
Speaker 2: Uh, but it's a it's a it's kind of a mature show. If you want to watch it, you better ask your pa. Uh. Let's go to the next one. All right, we've talked about this title already come to the so we won't spend too much time with it. The Catamante Cristo from last year getting a release in the US on March fourth from Samuel Goldwyn Films. This one no extras listening, no extras, Yeah nothing. I could see this getting a better release. In fact, I think This got a four K in France, but it doesn't have English subs unfortunately.
Speaker 3: I'm really I really want to see this, and I know it was playing in LA but at the times I couldn't work out of time to go see it. I really want to see. It's also a little long, but I know that there's sequels coming already.
Speaker 2: Oh I did not hear that.
Speaker 3: I believe there is already a sequel to this in France. I could be wrong, but I believe so. I was kind of eyeing this one in advance. I was excited when this was going to come out, and then I saw this release. I was like, oh cool, we talk about it. There's no extras. Oh well, okay, well I guess well, we'll see what else is out there or somebody else puts this out, you know.
Speaker 2: Supposedly though this is an incredible film. This as like very great reviews.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're reviews in this has been stellar. I really want to see it.
Speaker 2: So the poster does not inspire much confidence.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's true.
Speaker 2: Oh well, next up, Oscilloscope. We were talking about this earlier. Yeah, in late spring, you will be able to get this release of the Vordillac from twenty twenty three. This is adapted from a novella that predates Bram Stoker's Dracula by over half a century. The Vordillac is an atmospheric, unexpected censorial experience that will leave you reeling and giddy in equal measure. This is coming on Blu ray and DVD, as per most Oscilloscope stuff. If you're an Oscilloscope subscriber in their circle of trust, you will be getting this probably, I'm guessing around March ish in the mail. This will have a deleted scene, a behind the scenes featurette, a short film called Le Petit seren and then another short film called that Condiments you rigg whatever, I'm not French, and then a trailer. This looks fantastic, though.
Speaker 3: I started watching this today and I only made it in about ten fifteen minutes in. I'm intrigued so far, so I'm I probably will finish this tonight when we're done, and just because I'm excited, because this is a potential title that I could be getting at home, so I'm excited for sure, so I didn't want to wait. But yeah, this looks really interesting. So I so far, so good. I was hoping to have seen it so I could talk about it, but didn't have ran out of time today.
Speaker 2: So damn good cover art, especially compared to what we just saw on that poster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the piece of the Count of Monte Cristo for cover art, for sure.
Speaker 2: The fact that this is something that has inspired so much, definitely one I am eager to put in as soon as Ocilloscope gets me in my coffee, my coffee, my copy. I need coffee, I guess.
Speaker 3: For your coffee, get your colle with your coffee.
Speaker 2: Ocilloscope is the kind of label that would send you like a bag of coffee with one of your releases as a bonus.
Speaker 3: They sent me this one and with with a pair of socks released.
Speaker 2: I saw the picture when they.
Speaker 3: Were super comfortable and warm.
Speaker 2: It was awesome. You were if you were a sub wind they put out short Bust. They sent you a bottle of lube.
Speaker 3: Yes they still sell that. I think they sell that with the I think so yeah, yeah, uh may pick it up.
Speaker 2: March twenty fifth, BBC is releasing Asia from twenty twenty four, one of their Nature Wild Animal documentaries. I'm only coming on Blu Ray this time, not four K. But once again, you watch any of the trailers for these documentaries and you're immediately intrigued.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ah, Inspector Rex, what's around his neck? Isn't his only collar? Oh man? That is not Steve Coogan. By the way, Sidner, I think you're talking about the Vordilac.
Speaker 2: But speaking of the vorderlact that starts streaming on Showter tomorrow. Thanks Colton.
Speaker 3: Okay, good to know. See shudder. And weirdly enough, one of the when the movie starts, it has tons of like companies that worked on the Vordilac. One of them was Amazon Prime. How are they involved in that as a production studio? No idea? Crazy? Perhaps like a foreign subsidiary of I don't know crazy. I was surprised to see not only a large list of names of who made it just on one single card, but also Amazon Prime in the middle. I was like, wow, okay.
Speaker 2: I always laugh at that at indies nowadays. Is the first six minutes of the movies or thirty second production reels that they had to go through.
Speaker 3: We had to get every company in order to make scrape together enough money to make this movie, each.
Speaker 2: One with the on cinematic flourish for twenty four seconds plus a fade in and fade out, and.
Speaker 3: Then you get to see all the executive producers and there's just like six title cards of like three to four executive producers.
Speaker 2: Thirty eight people each put in one thousand dollars for this.
Speaker 3: I mean, you gotta make it. You gotta make it. However you can make it, you know.
Speaker 2: Bortolac starts streaming on Monday, not.
Speaker 3: Tom okay, okay, but soon, damn it.
Speaker 2: Colton, Thanks for sharing the right information. Uh, I've gotten so many questions about this white commet section already. We had already talked about the film Eat the Night, coming from Altered Innocence. This is coming on March eleventh on Blu Ray in the US. However, for the first time in a while, they announced that they are doing a Diabolic DVD exclusive slipcover. And this is the slipcover. Even though it says dark Noon, this is a play on the game that they are playing in the film. This is designed by sister and I freaking love this cover. This is if you don't remember, Pablo, a small time drug dealer, and his teenage sister Appauline, have forged an unbreakable bond through their shared obsession with the online video game Dark Noon. When Pablo falls from the Mysterious Night, he gets swept up in their liaison, abandoning his sister to go with the impending shutdown of their digital haven alone. As Pablo's reckless choices provoke the wrath of a dangerous rival gang, the end of their virtual life draws near, upending their reality. The newest vision from Caroline Poogiai and Jonathan Fannel is a bittersweet apocalyptic love story with a modern MMO RPG twist. A sentence I never thought i'd say again, let alone the first time I said it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I as a game, I would totally pick it up as a movie. It looks really interesting too. It's the art is really it works. It's a really effective cover.
Speaker 2: The fact that it's all unique and made for the slip is so brilliant. Yes, ride generally on an absolute tear with cover art recently.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: That's really cool, very very happy about it.
Speaker 3: I also want to give a shout out to Matthew who said Rex jumps through a plant glass window about two seconds into the show's opening credits, which if he doesn't, that is a total miss.
Speaker 2: I I we literally could have been the trailer for Inspector Rex. And I'm gonna call Via Vision myself tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Man, I hope we've sold a bunch for him, because you know that's what I hope.
Speaker 2: Uh. May thirteenth, MVD rewind is releasing tunnel Vision from nineteen seventy eight on Blu Ray DVD. Have you seen this one?
Speaker 3: No, I've not seen tunnel Vision. This is one that was like, you know, like a lot of stuff that MVD rewind butt out, stuff that I remember video yep, and not one that I ever got to see.
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about MVD rewind I have. I have a ton of their stuff, but recently I kind of haven't. I've been very picky about what I picked up from them.
Speaker 2: I I think I had like the first thirty of their titles, and then the next two or three I got in and watched and went these have taken a real hit in the quality tank and didn't like what they looked like. They still get some good titles in, Like I just got a Cheerleaders Wild Weekend in I definitely wanted to copy that one. This is one I'll probably grab just because it's up my classic comedy type of Alley definitely in for it. But other than that, like I know, I've already harped on it recently, but something like Hail Caesar never should have been on disc that they did.
Speaker 3: It's well number one. I rented that one way back when, and so I don't need to see that one again. I'm good I saw back then. I'm good I gave it that time. And and this one doesn't have the tunnel vision. Oh yeah, companion piece of the groove tube. Yeah, okay, yeah, absolutely, there's not an extra on this though, right and tunnel vision there really isn't.
Speaker 2: No there. Uh, there's a new interview with the co writer and code.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's cool, that's cool. Great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm five minutes long, Jesus.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm I'm always I'm always rooting for M V d rewind I love I've loved so many of their releases. I know it's been hard Eric. Eric's a great guy, really cool dude, and I you know, I know it's getting harder for him to kind of get some of these extras and be able to afford to do them. And but I'm always rooting for them as a label, but uh so, I don't know. I'm certainly intrigued by this one.
Speaker 2: As usual, they're doing the whole limited slip cover thing. This one in the middle with the five day rent sticker is the slip cover. The A side of the rap is basically the savings the slipcover, but the B side that's where you get the better MVD art On this one, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm a sucker for those like old stickers and stuff like.
Speaker 2: That, Like I love the way they make those.
Speaker 3: I love those. Yeah, I'm such a sucker for that stuff. But yeah, I mean, I hope that they are going to do well. I hope they were able to put more into some of these releases. But I really dig MVD for the most part.
Speaker 2: So here's the example from Cheerleaders, Well all weekend of the stickers they even look like half torn off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't gotten that one. I need to pick that one up. I think the last one I picked up was Joysticks. I think it might be one of the last ones. Yeah, yeah, which, I you know, really dig that movie and it's a lot of fun, you know, but it's I've kind of dipped out a little bit. I got to check them out and see what, see what I could pick up?
Speaker 2: Nothing wrong with that, totally get that all right? Just a few left and then we are done with announcements. Another piece from Variety to however, they shared the news of the Cloud Door. This is a brand new boutique label dedicated to bringing South Asian cinema to a global audience. This is film programmers from the UK named Omar Ahmed and Ranjeet s Rupri. The influential cult film Omdarbdar is going to be his first release from nineteen eighty eight. The launch of this label addresses a persistent void in the home video market, where South Asian cinema has been historically underserved by major distribution labels. Despite the continual growth of physical media and a dedicated fan base for Indian classics, many significant works from the region remain unavailable in high quality home video formats. Their initiative aims to remedy this gap, particularly focusing on cult classics and contemporary masterpieces that have long been sought after by collectors and centophiles. They're going to be focusing on classic and contemporary South Asian cinema with special attention paid to diasporic filmmakers from the UK and Canada. Each release will feature high def video and audio emphasizing cultural context and historical significance. They will be doing a Crown Funding campaign for pre orders for this first film, and the label will target an end of twenty twenty five ship date for that first release. Film clubs will have access to screening licenses at discounted rates, furthering the label's mission a broader distribution for South Asian cinema. And I assume that they've got a lot of great titles. Of mind film programmers some of the best people to run labels. They've seen a lot of these films. They know how to choose things. The audience react to get buzz going about some of their stuff. But Indian cinema in particular is very difficult because people act excited about them, but a lot of people simply do not buy Indian Indonesian films. They are hard to sell on physical media. On top of that, they are expensive to license some of these. There's one recently that we were looking at with Terror Vision that we were really excited about getting and had some talks and then they re released the film in theaters and made a ship ton of money and suddenly went silent. So that's that's how stuff happens sometimes. And they think that they are they are deserving the world to put it out on blue reds. It's a very niche market.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's unfortunate because Terror Vision's Shrigala. I love that desk, Oh my god, love that so much. Another it's another blind I did not put it to my stack, but that's another blind buy that I am so glad that I picked up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is exciting. I I am very, very curious to see what they have. I I do want to highlight if you are excited about this as well, make sure you're supporting us releases of the stuff too. The mind of Micabro Bollywood Cinema box Set is a remarkable achievement. Make sure you're getting stuff like that Getsrigala. Get some of the other Indonesian or Indian films that have been put out by some other boutiques. It's really difficult to uh to get some of them. But if you're worried about blind buying, uh they are They're almost always worth it for sure.
Speaker 3: This one sounds like a company that's trying to kind of go down the Radiance path a little bit.
Speaker 2: It seems like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if there are other labels that are seeing what Radiance are doing and going we should try to do something like that, then I say, I'll take a look and see what what it costs to help them out. You know, like that's that's certainly a great model to go through if they're going to follow stuff like Radiance or Deaf Crocodile one of those labels and want to do something what they're doing, Like, like, that's that that I'm intrigued.
Speaker 2: You know, you're trying to do with what they're doing with modern and cult classic. Imagine if like they have friends and they're like, hey, we can sign r R R and put out this incredible release that was amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, all right.
Speaker 2: Next, just a reminder please go vote in the shell Shock Rewind Awards. Voting is only open for eight more days. And also keep in mind you can do the right in option on every single category if you don't love any of the nominated titles, right in your own option. Can't wait to see what you guys think of this year's show. Got some exciting stuff to share. Big hint, Ryan will get to be a part of it. Thank you, sir.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm excited. I already voted already, and now I'm like, I want to look back and see what I voted right away, like it was due that day. Now, on the flip side, I have not forgotten to do it, and so I'm not being reminded at this point of already that's true, So I have that at least. That's but I'm like, man, I should have taken a couple of days, you know, but oh.
Speaker 2: Well, done some research or something. Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 3: Well, No, I mean I knew a lot of the movies are right, so I mean it was pretty easy for me to fill out. But I should have just sat with it just a little bit and you know, I could have thought about it just a little bit longer. But oh well, at least I voted.
Speaker 2: Looking at the survey is always exciting, especially to see finally, who's who's nominated? All right, Last of the Week, we got some details in this film Noir the Dark Side. Have sent him a twenty five.
Speaker 3: I pre ordered this for you, Ryan. I think this is already He's nice. I'm sending this an Inspector Rex to your house. I know that that's what you hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Inspector Rex and five inspectors that probably have names like Rex. It'll be like Inspector texting in the Flame. So this is the the box set from Keno coming on April eighth of The Flame, City That Never Sleeps and Hell's half Acre. City That Never Sleeps is a twenty twenty four four K scan. The other two are from twenty seventeen four K scans. The Flame and Hell's half Acre both have commentaries by Syria Lit Midnight's own Heath Holland, and then City That Never Sleeps has a commentary by Imagen Sarah Smith. Incredible. She does a lot of stuff for Keena Lober if you don't know that, they're not Keno Lober for Criterion. She's great at what she does. Absolutely recommend her work.
Speaker 3: They're all from the same director. These ones. Yes, took them up and apparently some of them are pretty good. Probably The City that Never Sleeps is the one that was like the most highly rated. Yeah, that's the big one.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I was like, well, that's interesting that they made it all about one director. That certainly is intriguing. I hope that they have some footage of old Vienna that they put in vintage footage of Vienna.
Speaker 2: From nineteen seventeen, forty five minutes long, and it's just it's not the city of Vienna. It's just dogs hang Vienna.
Speaker 3: Just as walking around close out, so you don't release too much of the city. By the way, Craig said that you may know this already, but he said in the chat that they're gonna do a set. It's multi film Indian set. I'm super excited about that too, so I didn't want that to go by. You may already know about it, but I didn't, So.
Speaker 2: I mean I did, but I was also gonna share after I brought that out the screen because I know in the podcast everybody listening you can't see this. Yeah, def Crocodile teasing our big box set this year is a multi film Indian set. It's gonna be first off, it's gonna be incredible, twenty twenty five altogether. Stuff they've announced already what we know is coming is pretty great. But a multi film Indian set from Deaf Crocodile that checks a lot of ass.
Speaker 3: I'm interested in that for sure, So thank you for sharing that. Craig that's awesome.
Speaker 2: As usual, after the announcements, we cover what's coming out next week, just in case you forgot and you want to get a last minute pre order In this Usually since it's the last week of the month, they've got all the big vs like Wide Rely, so we're gonna skeeep over those. But Warner Archive releasing just Friends. That's the big title of the week, the Ryan Reynolds Amy Smart Masterpiece.
Speaker 3: Digging deep into that archive A warners.
Speaker 2: You got Winchester seventy three four K from Criterion, You've got a Sea of Love four K from Keno, Daffy Ducks, Quackbusters from Warner Archive, Orca four K from Keno, House MD, the Complete series Underworld, Beauty from Radiance. Let's see what else here? Wait Till your Father Gets Home from Warner Archive, house Boat from Keno, Frankenstein Junior, The Impossibles from Warner Archive, Teacher's Pet from Keno, Lrber Gabriel over the White House one that I need to get as soon as possible. Last Dantisaber River from Warner Archive, week Spot from Radiance, and I think that's the biggest Cheyenna Complete Series Warner Archive, Ninja Scroll, I had some people get their Steel Book of that get canceled this week. Yeah. Update for for those that have ordered Revenge of the radio Active Reporter from Terror Vision that is delayed by about a week. The some of the LA shops were closed down for the fires, so unfortunately that had to get pushed back ever so slightly so that we can get stuff in over there. Shout of the Devil from Keno coming out as well.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: That was it. Yeah, for for the last week in January. It's still quite a bit. And Tarzan so Antaro Old Adventures of Tarzan already and shops exciting, exciting, exciting. All right, that's the announcements and now now the fun part of the discussion always is what are we gonna share? What are these prizes? Line Bys? Why do you blind bys? Right?
Speaker 3: I think it's exciting when you're buying stuff and you're just like, I don't know what this movie is, and you you know, and you know, and then you get one that you didn't know anything about and you now have this incredible movie that you now love and I wish this happened every single time. Doesn't always, but you know, you get to watch this movie and you're like, oh my god, I bought I'm so happy I did it. I think there's some extra joy not only when you get the rush of when those movies show up at your door, but also like when you watch them and you're like, I was so right on this being absolutely my kind of movie, And I think there's just a lot of joy in that. And outside of that, I think it's expanding a lot of you know, what I've seen and what I've taken a look at, and and so I think that there's a part of that that I that I love and blind bying and and you know, just seeing some of the films that that you know get restored and get released that you wouldn't be able to watch in any other way like But but mainly it's just like finding really good movies that I hadn't seen before, and now I have copies that I can watch whenever I want to. So that's that's the joy of it for me.
Speaker 2: What about you, Well, I love them because, as I alluded to earlier, I've not seen most movies when I was younger, and I've shared this on here before. I grew up in such a small town in California that we only had like the super mainstream stuff, and you know, being I don't know when I was when I was renting stuff without my family, it was already like two thousand and four to two thousand and six, and by then, like the nineteen eighty five stuff is out of date, and so it's not the stuff that they're pushing or anything. So I'm still catching up on like most of this stuff, A lot of the classic stuff that people have seen. Hell, a lot of the like more mainstream Scream Factory releases that have come out. Those were the first time I saw a lot of those films was on Scream Factory. The ten that I chose for us to cover tonight are that I don't talk about much on the show, but there was like five that I held in my hand from Screen Factory that I was like, well, this was like one of the best blind buys I've ever had, something like Ravenous, where Ravenous is a masterpiece, and if I wouldn't have got that Screen Factory disc, I probably never would have seen it. But I've talked about Ravenus on the show probably twenty times, so I have it.
Speaker 3: Like right up here. It's in my stack of like go to because you and I were talking about this and I still have yet to put it in, but I have it right there so I can be like, Okay, as soon as I get a chance, I'm putting Rabics in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so good. There's lots of titles that screen Factory put out that aren't great, but I'm so glad that I bought them because they they're I usually call them like Zeitgeist films. They're reference points for people for stuff like improv or you know, just conversation pieces that people have as touchstones for their lives. But one of the questions that I know is likely to come up in the chat, because this always does when people discuss blind buys. How do you approach blind biys? Are they true blind buys where you don't know anything but like the copy the label puts out, or are you I'm gonna go read reviews, watch a trailer, and do seven other pieces of research to determine that I want a blind by it.
Speaker 3: I think I started out just as blind as you can be, being like this looks interesting. I wouldn't even look at trailers, and I was like, this looks interesting I'm buying it, but you know, fool me once and all that you're like, you go a couple couple that you're like, maybe it should just just take just a slightly deeper look. But I don't go too deep into the film. I want to just I want this to be a surprise and so and with Keino, a lot of that is I don't I'm just sort of grabbing stuff because those sales are insane. But but but yeah, mostly with the Blind Biys, I just kind of want to look at it. I'll look it up on letterbox. I'll just kind of see how people sort of take the temperature of the people that I'm following, like what are they thinking? Which is always tricky because you're gonna have like five star review use and two star reviews, so you're like, okay, so you have to kind of do that math in your head and see like, well, what do I think I would dig on this? But largely it's like is it a story I like? Or is there a director or a writer or is there an actor or is there something that I want to see? What are the extras like? But I'm I'm kind of like, just give me this stuff. And if I don't know it. I want to see it, so and if it just hits me in whatever way, even sometimes if it's just the art, I'll just you know, I put in the cart and I'll go if I can afford it, you know, so send or ask you. That's a good call. That's a good call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get a bunch of people that ask me, what's funny is I? I don't know. I guess I have an internal system for blind boys. I think there is certainly a a curatorial trust, which makes that sound much fancier than it actually is. But with like deaf crocodile, Manda mac criterion to a point, and a couple others, I know that if I blind by this, I'm at least not going to be disappointed. There are other.
Speaker 3: Labels well, learning about labels, learning about labels, and then you can like then trust that they have kind of curated it for you. That's to me the best way of like right fully go in and blind like there's almost nothing that I'm going to know about some of the modern macabra stuff or some of the crocodile stuff that I'm just like, I don't know. I'll just buy it. I'll figure it out later. I don't know some of it. I just don't know any of this stuff, you know.
Speaker 2: So I think Craig said that earlier in the chat is they pretty much rely on blind buyers because dev Crocodile is only grabbing stuff that most people have never heard of. There are also other labels that I have done that where I bought without trailers or anything other than like a cover art and a piece of copy, and they've totally let me down. And now it's like, ooh oh, now I know for this label, I'm gonna always do a lot of research on. And then there's this final piece which you alluded to. I've noticed psychologically, blind buying is definitely affected by price. If it is, if it's seven or eight dollars, that's blind by fodder. I know that even if it's even if it's garbage, I'm not going to be disappointed that I paid seven dollars for a title.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like less than going to a movie, you know. And so you're like, well, i'd go see a movie and be disappointed. This is like less than that, you know, exactly. So yeah, so ice point is big, But like I said, I did, I have blind bought some pretty expensive items that sometimes I was happy and sometimes there wasn't you know, that's just part of it.
Speaker 2: There's definitely a couple labels that even the price point has psychologically tricked me into some that I went, oh boy, probably not going to do that one again. Looking at USRS Cinema and Wild Eye, there's certain titles that I should never have had my collection, but thank you. Uh. The fact that I paid two dollars for that still makes me feel like you owe me money.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing. Like it's something that my wife doesn't really understand because I have like all this stuff up here, but I also have like a bin of stuff that I bought and I'm going through and it's like this thing is like constant curation. I'm finding the stuff that I really like and I enjoy and I want to watch again, and I'm into, you know, like and and you know, so I'm buying lots of stuff that sometimes I know it, sometimes I don't know it at all, and I'll watch it and I'm either gonna dig it and put it up here or I'm not going to like it and I'll send somebody else that will or whatever, and so yeah, it's like it's like a curation process. But my wife's like, boy, we sure have a whole lot of movies around here. So but yeah, and I'm like yep, yep. And other times she's okay with it, and then she gets She got mad at me the other day because I don't own conn Air.
Speaker 2: Blame Disney fucking idiots, I know.
Speaker 3: And I was like, well, I mean, I there is an old blu ray of it. I can go get somewhere. But I'm like, I've kind of been holding out hoping somebody could wrestle that away and put out a four K of con Air because you know, but she's just like, we have all these movies and we don't have con Air. What's the point? Like fair, it's fair, it's a fair criticism. That is true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will say, can highlight Matthew's comment here. Thrift stores gold mine for budget blind buys. Yeah, absolutely, yeah, great, those those in like yard sales really great places to find, you know, all blue rays for two bucks and you'll see something like I would never watch it for two dollars. That's pretty great.
Speaker 3: I got a bunch of staff on out of yard sale. A couple of years ago around the corner from us. Yeah, and I got like they were all a dollar. I got the whole Space series on DVD dollar. I was like, holy crap, Yeah, that's incredible call. Oh yeah, and I was so jazz to get that.
Speaker 2: Similar shouting out Hamilton Books. I know that they what is the best way to say this? They have fallen from their peak for sure, back in yeah, we'll say twenty twenty one and twenty twenty two, when they were getting every single month out of print stuff that you could buy for five bucks. And now it's like, oh, this title is eight dollars compared to fifteen everywhere else. But that's still great. And you can't really fight with four dollars shipping, and that's all they ever charge is pretty great.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I have a two hundred dollars cart currently at the moment that I'm curating and figuring out what I'm going to order. But there's still a good place to get stuff.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, all right, let's get into some of them.
Speaker 3: It's good, O Craig, some.
Speaker 2: Of our titles, sir. Let's go with your first one. What do you got for us?
Speaker 3: First one? I told you, I think I told you. I was going to pick this one, so nail gun massacre. Speaking of terror vision. I had not seen this, had no idea. I had a couple of the movies that I was interested in, and I threw this one and into the last second. So four K was a little bit more expensive, but I was like, I don't know, this just looks like something I'd probably be into. And I was so right. This movie is great. I so loved it. I appreciate it. I'd loved your commentary. But on top of that, I just dug the movie. The movie is super fun. It's super fun, and I was like, this is totally my jam. I totally love this. I tried my best to get it on the shelf's shop forwards. Tried, like crazy, this is such an upgrade, I know, even though I didn't know the movie before, and I just thought this was stellar, disc so good. So glad I have this.
Speaker 2: There are there's so many things about that movie that I love. I will say as who I think this was either our first or second commentary that Will and I ever recorded together. I do wish that we could go back and redo it again now, but there is the most awkward intro ever would they're the Literally the film starts and there's a gang rape happening, and Will and I on on Mike literally say, usually we'd introduce ourselves right now. However, we are starting with a brutal gang rape on screen, and uh yeah, that's a way to I I apologize in advance for using this phrase, but it's a weird way to pop your commentary.
Speaker 3: It is. Yeah, I don't know what it is. I've you know, dug so deeply into the seventies exploitation that like a scene like that, I'm like, yep, it's just one of those things. It's like it's a barrier of entry you just have to get. It's not never gonna be my favorite scene in any movie, but okay, there it is.
Speaker 2: I'll share something with you off off camera about the one of the interviews for that that.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, a lot of awesome, awesome.
Speaker 2: I did my best. I think I stuck to it to choose only one title from every label, so I wanted to cover ten different labels to share that I was going all across the board and go into some that I don't ever talk about enough. And so first one, this is a label that is kind of No More, but also maybe doing BDRs again, but also probably not because Sony just bought them. Draft Pass Films put out gosh I forty forty two forty three movie something like that back in the day used to be able to buy these inventing machines at all the Alamo draft houses. And the film from their lineup, well, I should probably caveat. Waken Fright is probably the best film they put out. But the film that took me the most that I blind bought from them is this movie called I Declare War.
Speaker 3: Seen.
Speaker 2: I Declare War is a brilliant film from twenty twelve about a bunch of like twelve and thirteen year olds that go into this field by their home and they are imagining having a war together other but what we see is all of the real weapons and blood and everything like they're actually having the war. And it is shot in the most like Gooney's Adventure type of exciting point of view from a kid's angle. It is really well acted for something like this. The effects are genuinely great for a very low budget film. This movie captivated me from start to finish. Loved this thing. I've rewatched this a couple of times, totally worth it, lots of bonus features, to multiple audio commentaries which you don't get a lot of the time, even though nail Gunmaster not student our own horn. But I think we got three or four commentaries on there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at two of them are new commentaries on that disc Coact this disc. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: I declare War is amazing. Everybody should check it out. And yes, Simon are saying, what about the invitation? I love the Invitation, It's really great, but this one was a little more impressive on the everything side of it. Like the Invitation is probably a better film, but I think this was the better blind by I expected the Invitation to be great.
Speaker 3: M that sounds right. Is that still available?
Speaker 2: Do you know? Or? Uh? Not exactly, but it's not. It's not expensive, like you should be able to find it for less than thirty bucks seconds.
Speaker 3: Okay, for the most part, I tried to check and see if they were available. The disc that I picked and I'm looking at I don't think I picked anything from the same label, but I wasn't doing that on purpose, but I did it anyway. But that said, I don't know if Nailgun Masaker is available but I think I missing okay, so the next one. I love this label too. This is a total blind by city for me on this label because I don't know half the stuff they put out. But this is one of my favorite movies to come out of the past few years. And that's n beyond the infinite two minutes. Third Window just does some great work and they're just putting out so many cool, interesting films that I've never heard of, and this movie rules. It's super short. It is one of those sort of time travel movies where they sort of find that they can go backward. They can basically go two minutes basically in time, and that's basically what it is. I don't want to say anymore. It is just a delightful movie, really fun funny. It's done on a low budget. It's almost a single location. Incredible the amount of work when you see like what they have figured out how to do, and it's almost one of those that's also cut into like one cut or made to look like one thing, and it's just a great movie. I really love this film and I did not know about it, hadn't heard of it. Bought it so happy I have it.
Speaker 2: Very very charming, movie, I would say.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh, incredibly yeah, the whole also super interesting, super fun, and it's just a really fun, great movie.
Speaker 2: Shout out the writer and director. The same team put together River, which was also released Third Window also released by Great Face, the parent company of Terror Vision. Very similar plot to a point, but a massively different film. Absolutely great.
Speaker 3: I have that release. I just have yet to watch it, but I have.
Speaker 2: It's a good one. My next one is just like Third Window, a UK company that does not get enough love. They put out some of the best films of all time, literally and they seem to get overshadowed by everything. So really wanted to make sure that I got something from the BFI here. BFI is quality forward that they're putting out. Chronos four K I'm extremely excited about. They just put out the better version, you know, arguably of seven Samurai four K criterions is different, not necessarily better or worse, but just for some people. If you're at seven Samurai diehard, you you might want both. This release was also released by Criterion. This is the vastly superior version of the film Targets, which has a big tide to Roger Corman, and one that I grabbed because I wanted to talk about it with my buddy. Here Targets is a masterpiece. Look at that great covers on both. I think both are equally incredible pieces of ours.
Speaker 3: I got the Blu ray on the sale, but then I saw this one and I was like, damn it, so was the wrong one. Damn it.
Speaker 2: Those that don't know this is Boris Karloff starring in a story essentially about Boris Karloff, an old, aging horror Halloween Hollywood actor, and essentially Corman had some I think it was like two days worth of filming that they could do with Karloff that he or that he owed him, and a bunch of footage from another film, and so Bogdanovic built this film together with essentially no budget and two days with Karloff and created a masterpiece. This is a story, like I said, about Carloff aging out of the Hollywood system, while at the same time there's a sniper shooting people in a highway in southern California, and then those two stories converge and it is extremely relevant to today. It is a shocking film, a beautiful movie, really well shot for what they were doing, and again like a testament for what you could do with the Roger Corman Film School, and I this is the type of thing that makes me love movies with a capital M. There it is such a feat of storytelling and of like literally saying we have fourteen cents, what can you do? And somehow it's one of the most compelling pieces of all time. That being said, not necessarily to put Criterion down, but this release, the Criterion could never have a new special features block that is that size this release. New restoration supervised by Bogdanovich. Audio commentary by Bogdanovich from two thousand and three, New commentary by Peter Tongett. An introduction by Peter Bogdanovitch from two thousand and three. Hitting Targets on her father Boris Karloff from twenty twenty two, done by Sarah Karloff. A forty minute interview on target Boris Karloff in the nineteen sixties. A seventeen minute Stephen Jacob's featurette on this Gentleman of Horror from twenty twenty three. A visual essay on Boris Karloff by the BFI's Vic Pratt. The Guardian interview with Peter Bogdanovich for forty two minutes. Another Guardian interview with Roger Corbyn that's sixty four minutes. Then we've got let's see trailers from Hell Joe Dante on Targets from twenty thirteen, and then newly commissioned sleeve and then of course on top of all that, a hefty booklet, like a really well sized booklet. This release on release was cheaper to purchase in the US than the Criterion release and it is better on every single level.
Speaker 3: You're gonna make me double dip on targets, especially when we get to our Bogdanovic series. But also shouts to poly Platt, who is at least has experts of an interview on the Criterion and was instrumental to Bogdanovich's career. But yeah, he owed Karmen a couple of days, but he did stick around for a little bit extra because he think he liked Bogdanovitch and Platte as well. They were all friendly and doug what they were doing, so he put in just a little bit of extra time. But yeah, Corman just saw something in Bogdanovich. He had done a little bit of script work and I think he'd done some second unit for one of his movies, I think The Young Racers, and so, you know, really gave Bogdanavis a chance. And this is what he did throughout his career. He gave people a chance. He didn't give you much money, but he was like, you can do what you want. He also didn't put a lot of control on you until sometimes he got into the end room, and then he sometimes liked to, you know, do what he wanted to do sometimes but uh, or request that you reshoot yes, and ad nudity. Yes. But you know what, Barbara Peaters, I'm so sorry he did that to you. But Humanoids from the Deep is a classic, and you know, I apologize. I know that wasn't the film you wanted to make, but but yeah, so it targets great choice. I totally would have to pick that one up. That's it's awesome. So it's I love it, so great.
Speaker 2: Job Next for you.
Speaker 3: The one for me is one I had not even heard of. It's a label that I don't I think they've only put out a couple releases. This is from Whole Grain Pictures. This is a movie called Too Much Sleep.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they've only done I think too even.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I just heard about this on a podcast. That's how I heard about it, and I was just I think it was base Street video and they started talking about it and they said it was kind of Hell Hartley esque. I was like, okay, you have my attention. I mean behind me you can't see, but I have some directors sections here on my collection. This is my Hal Hartley area. A huge fan of Hal Hartley. I was like, okay, give me some early or you know, give me some nineties indie. This is sort of a nineties indie version, I like to say, of Stray Dog, because this is about a security guard who gets on a bus and while he's talking to some girl, his gun is stolen and then he has to track down this gun. It is I totally love this movie. This became Not only is this a great disc, it's definitely one of my discoveries of the year. This is essentially lost until this release came out. People do not know about this movie. It played a couple of festivals, it disappeared, and now is being brought back for this So I completely dug this film. This is another one of those things of I mean, this is maybe not as Blind just because I heard people talking about it but I had never seen it, knew nothing about it. I just immediately purchased it and totally dig this film. This is absolutely worthy purchase. I'm not sure what else Whole Grains put out yet, but I'm definitely trying to keep a tab on them. So too much sleep good call.
Speaker 2: That was on my want to buy list eventually, and honestly forgot about it. I need to go go make sure that it's still on the list. It's that's certainly interesting. There's also what was it called shelf Life that just got released was another it was another like lost film. Yeah, yeah, that's a similar vein I got from this film that was like, oh my god, we finally found it and we need to get it out there.
Speaker 3: And it's and it's got a great commentary there too, with the director and the actor and they kind of like both semi kind of moved on with their careers and it's a little bit heartbreaking because you're like, this is a great movie, yeah, and it just got lost in the shuffle and it happens, you know, and what you know, what could have happened to their careers if this hadn't gotten lost. You know, Yeah, it's a bummer, but I'm glad that we have that release.
Speaker 2: My third title is from Aero Video, and arrow has put out you know, literally hundreds and hundreds of titles at this point for the last yep, gosh, sixteen seventeen years. Technically, lots of stuff. I blind bought through them, but nothing has hit me and lasted longer as the one I'm about to talk about. This is a twenty twenty film, and I really wanted to highlight how they lift up indie films. So many people still talk about how Arrows just turned mainstream. All they do is stuff like, you know, nothing against what you share tonight. I love the more mainstream stuff that they've put out. In fact, I've got that exact same release within arms length. But they're still putting out stuff like not the Hell Razor set, the other one that narc is the big example. Yeah, and then of course the Saloon just lost the title of it. Three Seashells.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm demolition man.
Speaker 2: Demolition man, I want to say dread and I'm like Ronx brong salone. They still do that obviously. I mean we're getting stuff that they've announced that are crazy big titles. Some of my favorite releases for them are like Tremors, one of my favorite movies of all time. But then these indies, like I just mentioned there you go, Uh, they're still doing stuff that people have never heard of. And this film was on that list for me. And uh. It is the film Dinner in America, Adam Ray Meers Kyle Gallener starring Emily Skegg's punk rock film that is all about uh, sticking it to the man in every way possible. This movie is start to finish through and through one of the best movies of the last decade. Kyle Gowner is incredible, Emily Skeggs is awkward beyond belief and is exactly what this film needed. This movie is about Kyle Gowner running from the police and accidentally running Emily Skeggs and then come to find out that she is essentially the biggest fan of him, and she doesn't know that she is because he always wears a mask. And they make a beautiful song together and the film mens And I'm leaving out a lot of stuff because this movie is charming beyond belief and you need to see it. This was also only a UK released it is I believe either out of print or very hard to find. Now we need a US release of this. Somebody out there needs to put it out. I believe this would do well on four K. It was a very pretty film. I don't think it was shot on I don't think it was shot on film. However, it was finished in four K. I believe so could do well on four K, lots of colors. Great release. We're talking commentary with everybody on this that you could want. Fantasia International Film Festival, livestream, Q and A that they did. It was during COVID, so it wasn't in person. There is some interviews, trailer's image gallery, lots of stuff on this. This movie is genuinely a masterpiece, but also this is probably the last time that he's going to be like a small time director. Snackchat came out in twenty twenty four and it's also a masterpiece. Come to find out, he is an incredible director that finds out dude crazy talent to put on like these these small Midwestern stories that mean so much to people that feel genuinely lived in with characters like in Dinner in America, Mary Lynn Riiskub plays the mom of Emily Skeggs, and it's she's so awkwardly perfect for Emily Skeggs. I don't know. You gotta watch Dinner in America. I could talk about her for the next two hours at Adam I I really do it. He's got a huge career.
Speaker 3: I love Snackshack is definitely one of my faves of the year, and I really need to see this. Kyle Gallner has had a wildly good year. He was in one of my favorite movies of the year, Strange Darling. Absolutely adore him in that, but also really good in this other one that I thought was pretty good called The Passenger. Yeah you saw that one yet it's a pretty it's pretty good. That's worth checking out. Obviously, smile too. He's he's in but he's having a moment and he's really good, really good.
Speaker 2: Seven years and he's always great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, for sure, I've been I've been in on him since we hot American summers, so I mean I've been there from the beginning when he was just when his when his buddy got drowned and he was thrown out of a van, you know, I mean, I've been into him since then and always been following his career. So my next one is also from aer Nice, and that's because I love I love getting their box sets, and i love Giallo films, and I'm a big Gallo fan. And that's a lot of blind buying playing stuff because you just don't know what you're gonna get. You're gonna get some good ones, You're gonna get some. But this one is a part of one of their sets. You can also get it on its own, but I got it in a set, and I'm talking about the fifth chord, which is one of the most beautifully shot. It's from the Red Gallo set.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's right. I sold my I sold my standalone to get the Red Box, That's right.
Speaker 3: So this is Luigi Bizzoni who became like this that set me off on a road of buying blind buying his other movies because I really dig him as a director. He was friends with Uh why am I getting the name of the main guy, frank Goneiro. They were like buddies growing up, so they did a couple other movies together and he just basically got him because I think Franko Nair at this point was still around the time had had Jango or not, I'm not sure, but he just they were buddies. So he was like, sure, I'll do this movie with you because we've been friends for a long time. On top of that, it's shot by Victoria Strara, who won the Academy Award for the Last Emperor and shot Apocalypse Now and is just one of the you know, bird with the crystal plumage reds. Like the guy has got a stellar filmography and this just looks beautiful if you know, story wise, there's a killer in the LUs that guy's looking for him.
Speaker 2: You get it.
Speaker 3: It's a gialla but like, the way this looks is unbelievable and almost unrivaled in Giallo cinema. So would highly recommend the Fifth Chord if you can grab it, not in the set, if you want to get it on its own, just pick it up.
Speaker 2: Lots of names associated with this one, a lot.
Speaker 3: Of big names, like it's it's really interesting to find out that they all kind of knew each other and they're all kind of friendly, and then they just had these amazing careers. It's just crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah that I mean, honestly, that's for me, at least one of the more exciting parts about blind buying, and especially for somebody that loves New World pictures, is you're essentially like networking in a way. You're creating like this, this storytelling spider web of this connects to this, which inspired this, and connects to this right and suddenly you've watched you know, four Corman films but also like four indie filmmakers from the nineties and went, whoa, like I can see certain scenes out of these, and oh this actor was in both of these, and that's a great time. It's so great.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So the Web of New World, it's like I still am like amazed, Like, yeah, it's crazy, that's amazing. Crag. Yeah, Sterararo is just he is just one of the absolute best to ever do it, and still working, I believe. I think he's still making movies. I think he works a lot with Woody Allen at this point, but workers work.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We've mentioned Monta micabre Good three or four times tonight. I had to bring at least one from them, and I think the first one that got me was the fan. I've talked about that on the show quite a bit, but this one I mentioned and went pretty deep into on the monda Micabre podcast fairly recently wild Side go subscribe over there, but really wanted to spend some time here with a nineteen seventy seven Mexican film called Al Jukarta, which is a masterpiece. This movie is so so good in every single way. It is a Mexican religious folk core tale of screaming. Is maybe the best way to say that if you if you don't do well with screaming in films, you probably should ever watch this. There's a lot of screaming in this movie. But this movie I really wanted to highlight here because, as I talked about on the Manda Macabre podcast, they when they made this movie, you expect films like this to have like the trope filled exorcism scene and maybe like a nun scene where oh she's getting her top, if we had to do that, eh, This movie actually displays like all of these like truly like religious rights that they practice and all these traditions displayed in this as something completely different that you just don't see with many other films. This movie is about a friendship between two young girls that you expect to go places, and it goes completely different places. It's a very bloody movie. It's a very iconic imagery filled film, very on par with Like the Devils. Obviously, we tied this with Satanico Pandemonium for multiple reasons, and that's similar. It's got a lot of visual aspects and names that have been attached to a lot of things like some mahayak It's It's truly a great, great movie. It's very bloody. The imagery in this, like I said, incredible. I'm not sure how good this is gonna show it, but there's like this goat headed creature that's covered in hair. If you've never seen Ali Karda. I don't know that it's gonna get a blu ray because supposedly there's problems finding the elements. This is like a twenty one year old Monda Micabro DVD that still looks amazing. The only bad thing I can say about this is they screwed up when they originally released this and printed the wrong year. It's nineteen seventy seven not seventy five. But what we'll give Pete and Jared a pass for that. It's an amazing movie. Everybody should watch it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's one I have looked at and almost bought several times, and I just haven't pulled the trigger on yet. And now I'm clearly going to so because that sounds amazing, and so I definitely had to pick that up. That's one of those that maybe I think I've heard other people talk about, along with like Lady Terminator, which are like seminal releases from Manda that you just must have.
Speaker 2: You know, absolutely. U Sivenar wants to know if I have every red Mondo case. I think I do for all the Blu rays, I think I'm still missing a handful of DVDs, but I mean I don't know if I need all the DVDs. Hopefully a lot of those DVDs get picked up by the labels for Blu rays. That'd be nice.
Speaker 3: My next one, I'm going to Grindhouse. This is a movie that I probably should have seen a long time ago, but I finally got The Big Gun down. I love spaghetti westerns. They are just like candy to me. I just just for them. But this one is one of those. It's like when people are like, what's a really good legendary spaghetti Western, I'm like, The Big Gun Down. I actually saw the sequel, which is run band Run, which essentially is only a sequel in the character that Thomas Million plays in this movie, and I saw that first, which is odd to come out this at this level. But Sergio Salima is the director. He's a pretty good directory director. One of my favorite Charles Bronson movies, which is Violent City, Uh, and he this is He didn't do many spaghetti westerns, but this one is excellent. And as always with Grindhouse, they just have, you know, a booklet, the disc, you get the whole soundtrack, you get all the extras. Like when they put out something like you just buy I just buy it, like I just you know, when they're putting something out, I buy it. I just watched. I didn't say it earlier, but I just watched Hollywood Nine Years Wild, and I watched it and I was like, okay, and everyone talks about the ending show. I was like, okay, well let's see. And then you get to the ending shot and you're like, yeah, no, everyone's right, everyone's correct like whatever people were saying, yeah, one hundred percent, and it's just like it does recontextualize the whole film. I rewounded several times. I was like, what they just the whole thing blew my mind. So like anytime Grindhouse puts something out, they should. I picked this up and I think some kind of sale. I highly recommend this release. It's excellent. It's a really really good film. On top of being a fun spaghetti western, it's just a really good movie.
Speaker 2: For those that don't have much from Grindhouse releasing a little bit of insider knowledge for what they do, they lean heavily on the like we're putting out this limited release of X title and it has uh, you know. An example of one that they've done, Hollywood nine Double two eight had a limited slip cover. The one before that had a key chain. They've done the bullet pen for one of their releases. They'll go all in on this is limited, you have to get it now, and then release everything but that little chotchki for the next nine years. So if they announced something, don't feel bad. They're still putting out like Cannibal Holocaust with the CD and that was released like eleven years ago or something. So many of these they they will make you feel fomo. There is no need. You can certainly wait on these. They straight titles.
Speaker 3: But I would just say, like if they're having a sale, jump on it, jump on it and grab a couple of them. And because they definitely like they don't release tons, but when they release something, it's you should get it because no matter what, it's a very good release.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I agree. This next one might be a little bit of a weird, vulnerable pick, so I'm gonna explain why, and apologies in advance of people don't care to know any of this. This is a fairly recent from a label that I love ran by Elijah Drenner, whos been on the show before he runs to Canalog. And this is a twenty nineteen Spanish film called Amigo. This was just released early twenty four, twenty twenty three, I think. And this movie is a I don't even know what Jonner to put on it now that I'm speaking out loud thriller ish, I guess it's not really a horror movie. Essentially, this is about a gentleman that you can see on the front here and his close friend. One of them is in a car accident that kills his wife and the friend is not hurt at all, but the gentleman is left bedridden. He can't do much of anything by himself, some weird things start happening that can't be explained. But a lot of this film just is the relationship between these two people, one of them feeling guilty and trying to help him, but also the one that's needing help is a frickin giant man. We're talking like a foot and a half taller than the friend. Getting him in and out of the bath is a chore. It is literally dangerous. It is something that you know, literally difficult to do, and to put yourself through that as a caretaker, it's not easy in any semblance of the word. And as somebody that is six foot five that weighs more than everybody in my house combined, I fear for a lot of stuff for this. So this movie hit close to home in a lot of different ways. As somebody that literally just bought his first pair of shoes in five years this week because I wear a size eighteen shoe and it's very difficult to buy shoes. I see how much size and intimidating people can change your perspective on things. So this movie just hard to watch. There's a lot of awkward situations, there's a lot of we'll say stuff set up to give you anxiety and it really works. I think this movie is a bit of a modern low budget masterpiece for what it pulls off. Very happy with this. The Canalog has put out some stuff that I never expected to get a good release, and this movie is a gem in their catalog. It is so so good and I feel like it was slept on Amigo twenty nineteen Spanish film. Very very good.
Speaker 3: Yeah that I'd seen that cover and I hadn't. I hadn't. That's why I saw that cover and I was like, I know that one, but I didn't pick that one up. So now I'll be checking that one out to Cantalog. It's an interesting label. They really do like a wide variety of stuff, which I kind of love, you know, like they really do run the gamut on stuff. But I really dig that about them, all right. My next one is from a different label. This is from Massacre Video. This is Maha Call, which I note. I looked and I was like, do they still have this available? You can't get the slipcover, but you can't get the movie itself off their website, and you can get for a very low price that I was like, well, that's not what I spent on this movie. But okay, but it doesn't matter, because what matters is the movie. This is a like Bollywood rip off of Nightmare and Elm Street that also has some great songs and broad comedy and it is a lot of fun. And by a lot, I mean a lot because it's long, like a lot of Bollywood movies, well over two hours, but this is such a blast and it definitely rips off like it rips off Nightmare and Elm Street. Like not just so, but I saw this and I was like, I really again, this is one of those that early on I think I bought and I was like, that's a lot of money to spend on this movie. I don't even know, but I just pulled the trigger and I'm so glad I did because I just I adore this movie. It's crazy, it's wild, and it's definitely it's worth checking out. You have to square some time apart to be able to see it because it's long, but it's worth your time.
Speaker 2: Maha Call is very fun and very bad and so worth the money. Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 3: It's literally ten bucks right now if you want to get it off Master video. It was ten dollars, so I'm like, that's not what I spent. But the point is go get the movie and it's a lot of fun to watch, so that's what's important.
Speaker 2: So this next one, I got this original release Blu Ray when it first came out from a label that most of us know in Love and I have met Tom Savigni in person twice, and I got this film after I met him for the first time, before I met him for the second time, and went, you know, now that I've seen this movie, I need him to autograph this copy. And when I brought it to him to autograph, he literally went and that movie is effects that was released by AGFA. They're ah the Savinia autograph on the front. I had never seen this as amazing, but with this cover and with the first line mentioning George a Romero, I never even finished reading the copy I purchased. It turns out George a Romero pretty much had nothing to do with it. It was just his crew hanging out. But I adore this movie. This movie is so damn good. When you get a bunch of people that are essentially in between films and they're like, let's make a movie about making a movie, and somehow there's a killer and it turns out into effects and everybody that's in it is just super comfortable with each other because of everything they're already doing together. This movie is great, truly, truly cree for what it was trying to do, and some of the shots they pull off on this are so much better than like mainstream films, big budget films that were coming out around the same time.
Speaker 3: Was that just his crew just deciding to go ahead and go make a movie after they finished it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Literally? Uh. Cobbled Together with Loose Change by George A. Romero's Friends is the first time. It's so good. It was just like a DIY, like a weekend film that they put together. It's incredible.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. That's amazing. It reminded me of again watching that King Cohen documentary. Yeah, Yes, Coldon I do love. Yes, the transfer is great.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: The uh. When he was on Eye the Jury, which I almost picked as a blind by but was fired off of it the next day, he started shooting Q just and then he made sure that he could shoot Q before they finished Eye of the Jury, so he could just finish a movie before they finished the movie. He was fired off of that is wild, So that's awesome. I'd like to check that out. I need to check out effects. I'm going to Severn. I was asked to talk about this movie on a podcast v HUS If anyone hasn't checked that out, it's a great podcast, and I had so much fun talking about this particular movie. I'm talking Carnival Magic. I was asked to talk about this so seven was having to sale. I bought it and this movie is insane. I will mention one of the great parts of this disc is that it actually goes through some of the restoration what they had to do. This movie was like garbage before they found it was such a mess. And it's I think the second to last movie that al Adamson made. It's essentially a movie for kids, but it's about a very sad carnival and this monkey one guy.
Speaker 2: I love that you don't mention the word monkey before that, and you just go into.
Speaker 3: The carnival is so sad. Everyone there is miserable. Bad things are happening on top of it. If that isn't fun enough for you, this is, by the way, I should remind you a film he intended for children. The monkey has a voice that just simply shouldn't be coming out of a monkey's mouth. And it's such a choice. This movie is a lot of choices. It does not have great reviews on letterbox. Almost everyone universally hates this movie. I think this movie is an absolute blast. I'm not gonna say it's a great film, but it is an absolute blast. And thank you Cinder. Yeah, and he hits that Carnival. I appreciate that. And there's a commentary you get to see how they put this movie together. I think this movie is a must own. It's I think it's so fun, so Carnival magic.
Speaker 2: What's going on? Wave? I don't remember. Did seven put the seven Kids branding on the spine of that one?
Speaker 3: I believe so yes, Umm oh maybe not. Yeah, it's on the back. It's on the back. Nice you get seven kids. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't pick a seven title, which is kind of weird for me. I probably should have. There's been a bunch from them that I've loved.
Speaker 3: If you would ask me, like tomorrow to look through all the blind buys, I would have probably had a totally.
Speaker 2: Differ, entirely different ten stack.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I when we first started talking about this, other than wanting to choose some new world titles. The first thing I thought of, I could just pull like seven stacks of ten titles from Keno Lorber only just list everything from them. But I knew that I needed to have one and the one that I keep going back to when people say, what is the first Keno Luber title that you bought that you didn't see before that really stuck with you, This is that one for me, and I got it years ago. And you'll see because this is one of their like first slip cases that they did. This is a beautiful movie. I'll just show it now. A girl walks home alone at night. For those that have ever seen this, they classify this as an Iranian what do they say on here? Iranian vampire Western uh?
Speaker 3: And it is such a good movie, dude.
Speaker 2: I just want to talk about the style behind this movie.
Speaker 3: It is such a fucking good movie, dude.
Speaker 2: Beautiful to look at. And then they have like this Iranian score of like buzzy guitars and synth rock that is so good throughout the entire movie that you were swept up in every aspect of this movie. It's a beautiful, beautiful movie.
Speaker 3: When she goes in and plays the record like this just skates. I mean, I was like, I'm so in on this. Yeah, maybe that's the Southern California kid in me, but like I was like, hell, yes, dude, I didn't get the Slop cover, but I got this again on one of their sales, and I was like, how come people aren't talking about this? Y movie is absolutely amazing.
Speaker 2: And literally every single frame of this movie is one that you could posit and like point out different aspects that you should be taught in film school from this movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, beautiful, beautiful film. Such a great choice, amazing choice. I yeah, hugely into this movie. I think it's so good.
Speaker 2: Matthew says a roddy vampire western, that old cliche. Yeah, that's the thing I love about so many of these things, like you don't hear you don't hear that combination ever other than this one movie. So yeah, it absolutely needs to be mentioned here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's that old drope. You've seen one, You've seen them all, funny enough, that is true. This is one that I double checked. This is actually one from Vinigar Syndrome, and this is one I checked and I wanted to this double check to see if this was sold out or not, and this you can still get the slip. I know that they put this on subscriber week and they had this one out, and I don't don't understand why more people don't own Alien Private Eye. I adore this movie. This is look the title says it all. He's an alien. This is the hat he wears to cover up his spot ears because he's an alien and he's a private eye. Why well, in the movie he says, so he can meet people. That's why he's a private eye.
Speaker 2: Inspector Rex would be proud Inspector Rex.
Speaker 3: Oh God, if they could do an alien private Eye Inspector Rex together. I just my brother and I both got this one, and I think we talked about it on our podcast. We just absolutely adored this movie. It is so so wild. There's a character in here who does a choice to do a voice of an older actor. It's such a weird, crazy choice. The guy who directed it, I think he ended up doing a TV show and he is I'm trying to remember the name of the sh It's a TV show where like a guy gets the newspaper and it's like prophetically says, like, what's gonna happen in the future every day anyway. And so the interview though with him, and this is why I love these releases and why I love physical media. The interview with him is he's so earnest and he's so so excited that people are finding this movie and putting it out. Yeah, and it like I already loved it and was like, this movie is wild and I love it. And then he's just like so enthusiastic and so thrilled that people are putting it out. I was like, early edition, thank you, sidmir and and Ron I think is ron r One Ronnie Ronnie? Sorry Ronnie, and so Ronnie the winner of the contest yep.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 3: He's just he's he charred me even more. Like just listening to that interview, I was like, like, I'd love this movie. This movie is just so great, and he was so thrilled that people were into it. And I'm just shocked that this still has as a slip on their site. It's have you seen this?
Speaker 2: I haven't, shamefully, Oh.
Speaker 3: No, everyone's sleeping on this one. And I'm just like this one. And stealing Lace was another one that people were sleeping. Lace was good, ever and I love stealing lace. Any lady Cyborg movie. I'm pretty much on percent in on so, but yeah, I can't believe.
Speaker 2: That, uh, second time we've done this Tonight though, I'm going to talk about the same label. Uh. One of the first Vinegar Syndrome titles that I ever purchased from them, that I sat down with and watched because it was so intriguing on their standard art. And then they put out the slipcover years later, like they did on many of them, this one is still available and one that I would say is like one of the five or eight quintessential Vinegar Syndrome titles before they sort of went super mainstream Vinegar Syndrome. So like the classic Vinegar Syndrome, this is one that everybody should own if you're into that style. And uh, I adore nineteen seventy one's telephone Book. This movie is a rated X film that is about a see beautiful standard art on that it is so intriguing. The Telephone Book is about a woman that falls in love with an obscene collar and goes on a quest to try to find him, and on her quest she runs upon just a menagerie of characters that you will find hilarious and odd and eccentric and every other emotion that you could dream of. But my favorite thing is, as many people know that watch the show, I adore animation, and this movie's in black and white except for a starkly colored animated sequence in this that is beautiful. This whole thing is a masterpiece of cinematography. But that animated sequence, I was like, literally jaw dropped. How is this not discussed day to day as one of the most monumental pieces of work ever. This movie is astonishingly made. It is hilarious, like genuinely laugh out loud funny in many, many parts of this movie. It is the like the classic vinegar syndrome. This is clearly an adult film, but everybody that is put off by that title should really still buy it because it's one of the best films they've ever released. If you have not seen it, it is a must.
Speaker 3: I just got this, and got this like one of their last sales. I don't know if it was the Black Friday or what, but this is a brand new one. I have not cracked into it. The reason I picked it up is Nelson Lyon, who directed it, worked at SNL, wrote for SNL, I believe at some point, and we have heard his name countless times with people we've interviewed, particularly people that worked at New World after Roger Corman sold the company, and he was a copywriter and wrote copy for a lot of the you know, trailers and stuff. So how it worked with the trailer departs is that they had copywriters that would talk to the studios and they come back and one of the interviews we have just this past year with two of the trailer editors, Dave Parker and Kevin Sewilson, they were just like he would write these wild copies that essentially were like almost daring you to watch this stupid movie. He you know, and Reform school Girls I think is one of his I believe he wrote the copy for the Godzilla nineteen eighty five trailer, which won an award. Like, Nelson Lyon is like just a name we constantly hear, and he was a friend of Andy Warhol's. He was just a wild character. So I was like, I didn't realize this was his film. I was like, holy shit, I have to get this movie and watch it. I have yet to watch it, but I was like, Nelson Lyon is like just this guy we continue to hear about. He's just a revered figure at New World.
Speaker 2: So I hope you love it. It is literally wonderfully directed, like a master class of filmmaking.
Speaker 3: Yes, I also wave. I'd like that. You said, I see Alien, Private Eye and Steel and Lace every sale for like three years. You're on percent right. It totally is. They have been trying to offload these movies, and I'm like, why aren't people buying? These are good movies. I don't know why people are Yeah, oh well, uh is it my turn? Yes?
Speaker 2: Your turn?
Speaker 3: Okay. So had not seen this but had heard of it, and I went and got eighty eight Films version of Ricky Story of Ricky. What a movie this is?
Speaker 1: This?
Speaker 3: I mean, if you haven't seen Story of Ricky, you just need to go see it. It is set in a prison. Ricky oh is put into prison and hijinksk if you just see some of the stuff in the back. I mean, holy crap, this movie. That guy who he fights at the end, I mean, this is just an absolutely stellar movie. And this eighty Films release, I really really dug this release. It's got a little booklet with it as well, and I just I've shown this to friends. I love this movie. It is fantastic and I had not seen it before and I cannot I highly. I can't recommend it highly enough. So Ricky O.
Speaker 2: Story of Ricky We need a good US release of Ricky O. I fear for my friends that are not region free and have not been able to pick this up because it is so so good for those that don't know. A German company just released a media book of the story of Ricky on four K. That being said, it's not a fully up and up release, I don't think, but hey, it's Ricky Oh on four K and it looks wild.
Speaker 3: It's such a crazy, wonderful movie. It's I won't say anything about it because I just don't want to spoil it. I mean, so many scenes run through my mind, but I'm like, I just you just need to see Ricky Oh. If you haven't seen it, you need to watch it.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you saw I burst out laughing the moment you said he goes to prison and hijinks and it's such a funny way to explain this movie.
Speaker 3: I can't I don't want it. It's like, how do I don't want to say anything that would spoil this movie. I mean I went in as blind as can be. I knew I'd heard it was a wild movie, and then you see it and you're like, Okay, that is wild and ways I never thought And so I don't want to say anything that would tip you know what the movie is. Just go see it. If you have.
Speaker 2: Practical effects carried out immaculately.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's a good point. Yeah, it's really terrific. Special practical effects for sure, and good fight scenes.
Speaker 2: Very oh god, the ram scene. Okay, this is one I never got to see when I was younger. It did not get to continue playing on TV. This is a made for TV movie put out by Warner Archive, and after hearing its uh how did for years I was worried that finally watching it it was going to feel less than but man, I was truly creeped out and loved and will recommend forever the Warner Archive release of Bad Ronald. This movie is so damn crazy. Ronald pictured here on the cover, accidentally kills somebody and not a spoiler happens in the first like two and a half minutes of the movie, and his mom chastises him and then tells him to hide from the cops in their pantry, and then wallpapers over the pantry and moves and Ronald just kind of terrorizes people that live there in so many different ways. This movie is crazy, and it's so weird because it has to be very briskly paced because it's a seventy four minute movie. It's acted beautifully, but also just a crazy story to tell in a made for TV movie ever, Just chilling at home watching this lunatic crawl out of a pantry and steal food from people. Love this movie if you've never seen it. One of the best made for TV movies of all time.
Speaker 3: It is so damn I'm say I made for TV movie. And that's one that I have not picked up, and I need to pick up. But and I should remember it because I there. There's not many Warmer archived sales anymore, but no, I used to grab stuff all the time when they had those sales. That's how I got Scarecrow and a bunch of their other stuff. But I yeah, bad Renald never quite made the cut when I was buying stuff from those sales. And but I need to pick that one up. Is that your last one you have one.
Speaker 2: I got one more after your more so.
Speaker 3: Last, but but not Lisa, not really that I had any order at all. But so this is an odd one to end on, I suppose in a way. But from etr Commando Ninja.
Speaker 2: Is it's such a fun movie.
Speaker 3: It's so fun. It is an mashup of like so many things, but mainly Commando and American Ninja and a lot of like a lot of like cannon films kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: But Andy is a big one too.
Speaker 3: Andy Sedaris a Jurassic Park is part of it. It's it's a it's what you were talking about earlier with effects. Is this movie where this French kid basically is like making this movie like in his backyard with like fifty cents, and it's so much fun and it's made with a ton of love. It's like an hour long, it's very short. The music is fantastic in it that he uses very retro sort of electronic score. But it's just a blast. And this guy clearly loves these movies. It's homage to that entire era of movies and that entire video store experience of going to see that stuff made by somebody who probably missed out a little bit on that era, but loves it anyway, And I just adore this movie. It's so good. Her two friends as well, and well, what's the difference? They're often pretty surprising, but but yeah, this this one, I just absolutely I love Commando Ninja. I mean, it has its tongue firmly planted in his cheek the entire way through, and I love that about it.
Speaker 2: I also think, and I'm not sure if you know more than me, I believe the director was setting out to make a Commando Ninja too.
Speaker 3: I don't ever had heard, but I don't know what had happened with it. But yes, apparently he was going to make a sequel, and I hope he does. I really hope he does.
Speaker 2: All right, So again, maybe an odd definitely a weird tone change from Commando Ninja to this movie. Uh I. I kind of figured I probably should list at least one Criterion because there's so many of those that I have I have loved throughout the years, and uh, this is one that I watched fairly recently to to talk about for Imprint cast. Funny enough, I watched the film on this disc and then watched the extra from the Imprint disc, but had to go through and talk about my appreciation for one false move. Now, I know most of you have probably seen this, and this is this is an example of something that certainly not afraid to admit that I'm far late to a party that all of my friends have been at for a long time. This movie stars Bill You can see it here, Bill Paxton, Cindya Williams, Billy Bob Thornton, Michael Beach. Written by Billy Bob Thornton. In a really gross way, We'll say the movie is a crime thriller that starts in southern California and snakes its way all the way over to Arkansas. Some really great behind the scenes stories behind the making of this movie and the literal racism on display as they traveled further east in this film and in the production because as you do, they actually filmed in southern California, then New Mexico and Texas and Arkansas and brought the whole production everywhere and did an incredible job with it. Some of the best acting you'll see in film like this, which is from nineteen ninety two. Billy Bob Thornton very young in this and very not Billy Bob Thornton yet he's certainly the billy Bob Thornton that doesn't have money and is trying to give it as all, and boy does he in this film. But really, Bill Paxton is where this film shines. He's always incredible every single thing he has ever touched. I think I've loved Cindy Williams also just simply amazing in this movie. I don't love the ending of this film, but after hearing that this was just a good crime film for years, I sort of put it on the back burner. Is like not a priority to watch, Like, yeah, I've seen a bunch of crime movies. There'll be thousands of more. I'll get there. This movie is special. This deserves like a special night devoted to it. Reading the booklet that came with it is really great approach to this one. Again, the extras on like the actual racism that the production faced in bars after filming during the day and what they had to do to overcome that, literally getting business cards saying the KKK is here and you need to leave. Stuff like that is terrifying and more relevant than ever. Our country would never do anything racist nowadays, so thankfully I thought we are far past that. That's all in our rear view. But One False Move is incredible filmmaking, really great storytelling, like earnestly told from a writer that wants to be a writer's writer and delivers very unique characters in a way that a lot of scenes they subvert all of your expectations, things that you don't expect to happen, Like the highway scene is so well shot and just from from a filmmaking perspective of it's so dangerous, we would never do that, And suddenly they pull it off and you're like, fuck, okay, this film will do that. What can they do in the rest? And then the rest of the movie truly goes there like nine different times, and you're like, okay, we're all here for the ride, and it's a it's a great watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great film. And there's nothing wrong with people getting to the movie. Now, if you weren't able to watch a movie like this in nineteen ninety one, that means you're probably not old like me. But in any case, that's that's no mark against anybody. I mean, I've loved watching people embrace this movie. I've loved this movie, but it is it is a it is everything you said. It's a great film. Carl Franklin, of course comes from Corman. You got to start with Roger Corman. Once Corman started his second company, his company after New World, we talked about one of his movies and and and that's how we got to start. But he's such a stellar filmmaker. He's so good. This movie is so well done. This and a simple plan as your Bill Paxton, Billy, Bob Thornton, double bill. That that he's just fantastic. And and I love this movie. I love a lot of Carl Franklin stuff. And yeah, I admit the ending isn't it doesn't quite pay off quite as well, which I think is why it's sort of like never quite got the love it deserved. Even at the time, I remember renting this and being blown away by it and being like, holy crap, this is why isn't anyone mentioned this? And and I picked up that disc as well from from Criterion because I was like, hell, yes, but you know again, everybody's been going crazy for Red Rock West again, a movie I saw back then too. But it's a great movie. John Dall did some great stuff. I was hooked into John Dall after after that movie and watched all his stuff and it's a great movie. Who cares if we're seeing it late. And what's great about it is that we're these these good movies don't go away, you know, they keep getting yeah, and they're getting reintroduced. I think that's a that's a win for the movies. So don't feel bad at all having missed.
Speaker 2: Honestly, we we just talked this on another podcast. It's a great time to watch Red Rock West also because it's it's quite Lynching. Actually, it's a lot of his you know, wild at heart type of films. It really feels like something Lynch could have directed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was like in that period, there was a little bit of that sort of neo noir. There was a bunch of stuff sort of happening around that time and indie film and others where they were starting to try to like, you know, do more of those sort of neo noir maybe somewhat westerny kind of things like wander Faalse Move And there's some great gems in that time period, and it's it's rife for people to kind of grab some of this stuff and and put them out. And I'm happy that they are I own two copies of Redrog West as a result.
Speaker 2: And they're both worth it. I mean they have exclusive commentary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, brother, Umbrella one that you want to listen to John Dall and you know, uh, and you want to watch the Cinematograph one because the transfer is just absolutely stunning. And I and I and I looked at both and compared them, and I was like, oh, there's no different, there's no comparing. The Cinematograph one looks amazing. So hotspots in there. Yes, another good one, last seduction another John John Doll one that's a great call sign there. There's one that even like Oliver Stone got into it. If anybody saw U turn yeah, which is not as good as some of the ones we've talked about, but still a wild one. I would I would check out somebody wanted to put that one out. You know, there's a lot of good stuff from that period.
Speaker 2: All that to say, uh, blind buys can really pay off. This has been a hell of a good night twenty no crossover. I didn't expect nossover, but twenty twenty different titles. We each had ten different labels. I went in fact, both of us went pretty across the board. With genres and actors, mainstream, deep cuts, all kinds of different types. Here you can find films that people can look at for like film school level and complete diy how did this ever get made? Type of films. Gosh, this has been This has been one of my favorite conversations for films like this. I mean being able to cover stuff that like this shows why we collect physical media and not exactly I probably shouldn't use the word collect there. This is why supporting physical media is important because many of these I never would have taken a chance on on streaming. I never would have made the point their algorithm, never would have made the point to feed them to me. I never would have got that response out of Tom Savini. All of these things happen because we're both willing to try something that we've never had before, and our backgrounds look like they do. Because we love this stuff, and if you love them as well, we hope you try some blind buys. There are many of these companies that rely on people to blind by purchases def Crocodile, Monda, Macabre Terror Vision, Vinegar Syndrome for a lot of their stuff. A lot of these partner labels and not just classic films. A lot of modern films rely on blind buys because twenty eight hundred people saw them in festivals across the world, and most of the time that's all that ever gets to see it. But fortunately some of them are rescued bioci and partner labels put out on Blu ray and now two thousand people might buy it with a slipcover and we hope that you watch it and we hope that you love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I look at it like, you know, it's an investment, investing in film history. Like there's the way that some of these labels are trying to pitch out to collectors. They're trying to get collectors dollars, of course, but we're also preserving films. And there's so much actually out there that probably isn't going to even make the cut. And that's what's kind of sad but true. So many I think you were talking on another podcast about TV movies. There's so many TV movies that will never really see the light of day. There's so much stuff that we won't really get and streaming isn't going to do anything about it. These labels are the ones that are championing these films. Giving it special treatment, adding special features, giving you context because how many times, for me, how many times you watch a movie and you're like, I need to know what's going on with this movie, right, you know? And it's why I'm tracking down the producer and director of Tax Attack eighty seven because I'm like, what happened here?
Speaker 2: What is this?
Speaker 3: And so you know, that's what these things offer you. And that's why physical media has always been you know, has always been important to me, even before when it was VHS. I had VHS collection and then once STEVDS came in, it was like, holy crap, you can get the creators talking about it. This stuff's important. This stuff is about like learning about film and preserving film. It's an investment, you know. So you got to spend your money where you think it's best, and you want to buy stuff that you like and you love, but it's an investment. That's how I look at it. I mean, I don't I'm not always gonna love everything, but I don't worry about spending it on something I maybe don't love not because I'm like, well, I'll just turn it around and make a bunch of money on eBay or something. It's not about that, and that isn't true either. That isn't really true. It doesn't really happen. But it's an investment in these companies and investment in film preservation. And that's how I kind of look at.
Speaker 2: It, film preservation, restoration, archival. It's it's a lot in fact, the archival aspect. I got an interview finally going up the next week or so that I hope a lot of you appreciate because it really shows the love for what so many people are doing to keep these things relevant. And yeah, you said it best. The way that these are treated by most of the labels, it truly is like a passion project of we want this to last. And without without people like def Crocodile, many of these films would never be restored. They're literally languishing in film archives about to deteriorate beyond the point of restoration because they can't afford it, or they don't have time, or they rely on public funding and it's drying up, or you know, lots of these other reasons, and they rely on stuff like this to get it done. So not trying to pressure anybody to go spend money you don't have or anything, but if if you are you know, looking at a title, if you are considering spending you know, five hundred dollar or the next Vinderger Syndrome sale, maybe maybe spread a little bit of that love out There are lots of labels out there that are doing work film masters. Uh. You know, we've said a lot of the names tonight that are literally saving films that are on the verge of being gone forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I you were picking different labels on purpose. I picked different labels without even thinking about it. Like, there's so many labels. You have to diversify too, just to be like, there's so much good stuff out there. Definitely subscribe where you can too, because that helps those labels survive, so you know, if you can do that. But you know, yeah, I mean this was so fun. I'm so glad that you were into this topic. This was such a blast. I really got to, uh to buy some of these movies that you talked about. I definitely need to pick some up. But yeah, this this this comes down to the love of it, and we're in it for the love of it. You know the fact that there's new label sprouting up all the time. That makes me so happy, Like you know it's like that, you know that Tracy Let's conversation they had on the big picture. Yeah, Like I love that. He just said, like you just keep doing this buying stuff. He's like, this is the only way, this is the only way to do this, And it's like it's so true. This is it, this is this is it. This is what we love. There's no turning up, there's no turning back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I I was thinking about this recently because I if I like stood up and showed everybody the room right now, it's it's a disaster. I I definitely need to fix some things with shelving and not have stuff in a box on the floor or I have one, two, three, four, five, six seven piles around the computer that you can't see right now. This is all made to look pretty, but everything else is a goddamn disaster. I need space, sure, but this is the only way. Like I want to put my extra money into supporting this stuff. I want to be a part of some many of these things. I want to be able. I should. I want a couple of shows just to be able to show the titles I've worked on. That alone means a lot. I mean to be able to have a hand in bringing context to some of these or help with restorations. I just helped Craig with a restoration demo for a title they're releasing, and to be able to show the difference in the work. I'm proud to be able to be involved in sharing that.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, and you're doing great work. Man. I did not pick I did not pick, thank you. I did not pick The Great Land of Small because it wasn't technically a blind vibe. But right, uh but yeah, oh and on that on that TV movie kick this was this was a one I almost threw in there too.
Speaker 2: Ooh nice?
Speaker 3: Is that original Prime Time Panic? These are all three banger films, really good, even if you can't get.
Speaker 2: The box YEP, great curation by Fun City. Pretty Much every single title they've released, minus one or two, have been incredible. We don't talk about Militiants, but everything else, like, it's all been pretty great.
Speaker 3: There's only one of their releases I don't have, and that's not BLI us unfortunately. But but I'm like, and they have a couple of new ones that just put out that I was looking at today, so I need to pick those up. But but yeah, like there's some labels out there that just like they you know what you're gonna get. That's the great thing about dipping in and finding the things that you love and then following those things. That's the thing, and that's how blind buys. All these things that I got were blind bys that they made me go down certain paths on other things, and that's that's what it's all about.
Speaker 2: Speaking of following things you love. New World Pictures Podcast, I know we talked about it earlier. If somebody were to dive in and say, I want to hear Ryan's five favorite episodes, what are five that you'd recommend for people new to the podcast?
Speaker 3: Oh god, five favorite episodes. I would say, uh, Tom, please listen to Tom Clancy's op Center. That is a TV movie that was put out by New World Television. I absolutely loved it. On that same same tip, we we talked about Generation X. That's the first live action X Men movie that was released by New World Television. Going way back to our early days, I think we're doing much better now than we even did in the back in the day. But we've always been a blend of like having a good time and doing research. I just think my ability to do the research has gotten has gotten more and more improved. But go back and listen to The Big Dollhouse. I always think fondly of that episode because I found in the movie they drank lombonog, which is like a Philippine, a Filipino liqueur or liquor. It's basically like moonshine and uh, And I found a bottle of it and we drink it as we we all do shots of it as we're doing the episode. So I always love that. Let me see that's three uh girls just want to have fun. That's a really fun episode. We also had a great interview with the woman who actually wrote the movie. She's not credited for writing the movie, but she did in fact actually write the movie. And I would check that out too. And you know, Mountaintop Motel massacre is that's the hell? You know what? Also, I would say, not only that, but add another one in there. We finished out the year with Chopping Mall, which is not a New World movie, but is a movie that is so New World. It is so such a love letter to Corman and what he did with New World. But it was just as he had sold the company and then had moved on from the company because he was initially making movies for New World until they decided they didn't want to do being the Roger Corman business anymore. And that's such a it kills me. The Chopping Mall is not a New World movie because it just feels like it from its bones, you know. And uh, we just had so much fun talking on that episode, and I just would say, listen to that one. We if you if you don't like how much fun we have discussing that movie, then maybe you don't like the podcast. But you know, because we definitely go off topic a little bit. But we also, you know, bring some knowledge and some research and some lot and love of the movie. But yes, and I work very hard on researching each movie because again I think we talk about the movie and then I get into the like, let's learn about this movie because you want to know what happened, Especially when you watch New World Pictures movies, you're like, what happened?
Speaker 2: I don't remember if you covered more than one is it hell Raiser two that you did?
Speaker 3: We did both hell Raiser and hell Raiser two, Okay, and we also ranked we didn't episode, We ranked the entire franchise that was done before the recent remake or sequel or however you want to look at it. But so that would be the eleventh Hell Raiser movie and we did so we only ranked ten, which we won't do again.
Speaker 2: All that to say, highly recommend the hell Razor two episode.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you, Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It was a a an episode that I find is easy to recommend to people that are new to it because you get a lot of knowledge. But also like the running voices are so funny in that episode.
Speaker 3: The yes that's humor is perfect.
Speaker 2: It is spot on, and it's it's exactly what you want for a franchise like Hell Raiser.
Speaker 3: That we should hopefully this year. We have a T shirt that's come from that. Well, a lot of our T shirt designs come out of the bits that we do during our episodes. And there is our daughter is an artist and she drew it's it's gonna be a Hella bond because it's a lot of our jokes was about Pinhead working at a sambon and she drew Hell Raiser holding up a sentiment role and it's just awesome and so hopefully that will be making it out there onto our store soon enough. So but thank you for noting that. Yeah, yes, at our shirts if you can, that's the way to support us because we don't have a Patreon, so we do a weekly show, so there's literally no way we could also do extra stuff for a Patreon. It's just impossible.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, you're killing it. You guys are amazing. Love having you on the network and for having my favorite teams, one of my favorite teams out there. You guys are hilarious and educational about movies that nobody else talks about genuinely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you. Yeah, we're getting into like a zone where we're like, not a lot of people have seen this one Party Incorporated, which we did, which is a Maryland Chambers. Nobody had seen that one. So but thank you, And we're so happy to be on the network. We're so happy that we had you on and we can't wait to have you back. Serious, I'll do better the second time.
Speaker 2: I promise.
Speaker 3: You did great, You did great. You were a blast.
Speaker 2: I was wrecked that first episode.
Speaker 3: Mountain Time Motel Masker is a tricky one.
Speaker 2: It is. There's not a lot to dive into on that one.
Speaker 3: It's a hard one. Yeah, but you did great and it's a fun episode, so people check it out. Speaking to.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you. I normally don't pitch the Patreon all too much, but that being said, I'm I'm at the point where worried about day job stuff is definitely coming up in my life more and more.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: We might find out more about that in the coming weeks. If you feel like supporting somebody, hey, I wouldn't mind having some of your hard earned money every month. A lot of perks that can that you can access. We've got a discord of incredible people that you can come have a chat with. If you come into a twelve dollars level, you get a digital copy of the physical Media Advocate every single time it comes out, and I'd argue that digital copy is almost as important as the physical copy. Get links to everything. Every single picture has a link embedded for you to tap on to take you to learn about the film or to purchase the film. It's a blast. Our discord though, is really where it's at. I mean, during this chat, there's been so many things popped up. People are sharing in there, def crocodile share stuff in there, vinegar syndrome, terror vision, They've got reps in there, they're all sharing stuff that are private to the discord. Higher tiers you get physical goodies, you get bonus things like some of our visual essays, audio commentaries, I write poetry for some people, anything that you can have. Check it out. We'd love to have you in there, and we'll see you next Thursday. Next Thursday is gonna be a weird one and you'll find out why. Next week. We'll talk then cool. Have a good week. Thanks Ryan, you've been Blast and Pictures podcast. See you. Thank you for watching the Disconnected On the way out, make sure that you are subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the linked able to share with someone else that may appreciate this.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 4: Hello and welcome to Tumbleweeds and TV Cowboys.
Speaker 2: My name is Hunter.
Speaker 4: In this podcast, I'll be joined by a different guest each week to discuss a classic Western movie or TV show. I've been a fan of classic westerns for as long as I can remember, and in recent years they've become very nostalgic for me. I love the aesthetic, the tropes, and I love seeing different filmmakers takes on them at their best they're incredibly entertaining, rewatchable, and some of my all time favorite movies are Westerns. We'll mostly focus on Western movies made in Hollow would, but we'll also be covering spaghetti westerns and one thing I'm very excited to get into our Western TV shows. I've got some amazing guests coming on the show, film professors, historians, and podcasters and Tumbleweeds and TV Cowboys is part of the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network, and many guests on the show will be from other shows on the network.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. To hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network, please select the link in the description