Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app Just Surgeon, I on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Right on the Ball. Welcome to Monday Show.
Speaker 3: At least we're having some technical difficulties, as you can.
Speaker 2: Kind of tell, but we're back on Monday. We're back on air. Jay's not in today, I'm Steve Rivera. He's out ill. We got our guy Henry in today and got our new intern Matthew. We want to talk real quickly. We've got about ten minutes maybe for this next segment to finish, and then we'll kind of talk to our first guest from last hour. We hope to have that last hour, Lamont Huntley, and then we're gonna go with Nat Modeno right after him, and then in the final segment we'll have time our chance to get get you guys to call us so cool, okay cool, so hey. We were talking this before we all got discombobulated. Henry and Matthew. I thought after watching the game, I don't know midway through the not midway through maybe early third quarter, that my only concern was that they looked like they didn't care.
Speaker 3: They didn't care, So what did you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah, after the first half just went all downhill. I saw the coach trying to amp up his team, but nothing was going on.
Speaker 3: Nothing was cool. That's disheartening, disheartening.
Speaker 5: I think it was really surprising that they came out that half so flat because the first half ended so well for them with the QB running out the clock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they could have been worse.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, it could have been way worse.
Speaker 5: I think they should have felt lucky it'd only be down by seven and use that momentum into the second half.
Speaker 2: Right, And they just did show up. I thought that. And not that this matters because the interception, they were driving right, and Noah through that interception he looked quite open. Then he didn't all of a sudden. That would have been key at least for some confidence in some momentum. Fourteen seven, right, and they're looking good. You're thinking, Okay, they got a chance, they're going to score. Right, You're thinking, okay, you got the second half or down by touchdowns.
Speaker 3: Right, right.
Speaker 2: And the thing about it is, and you're thinking, if you're a Narraso fan, they have a chance to score a lot. Right, They didn't even show that, did it at all? Well to your to your point earlier that we talked about Henry, you gave up at halftime, Well, same thing you gave up at halftime. You watched him feel good about the game at halftime. I'll say that, what about you, Matthew cut it. We couldn't stop a running quarterback. Yeah, it was thrown on this and running two times in a row with ease. Yeah, well your extico guy right all over, Same thing happened, Same thing happened.
Speaker 6: Seeing it again.
Speaker 3: He talked a lot about that.
Speaker 2: I think some of it Today in his press conference, Brandon did, what's the solution? Well, I don't know. The first time is a mistake. Second times I have it. Now they've got to come up with some big, big time plays because I jay this too. What do you think the Pan base? The Pan base is disheartened very much so.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 5: I think the running quarterback issue stems from the D line taking too long to get pressure allowing the QB to get out of the pocket.
Speaker 6: I think that's a big thing they're good at.
Speaker 5: Last year, the D line really dominated games and didn't allow qbs to run on them like they have this year.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, okay, we're gonna go. This is what we're plent on doing. We're gonna go through the first through the time. We're gonna go through the top of the hour and go all the way to the first break in the four pm hour. So we'll get ahold of the lot.
Speaker 3: Honey. Uh back to the four o'clock. We'll give them a call or have a call.
Speaker 6: You want to take?
Speaker 3: Got all we gotta Yeah, let's take it cool.
Speaker 2: Thanks for calling. We have some time now, we have a next twenty twenty five minutes. Hey, you're on the air and eye of the ball. You're on the air and hear us? Yes, yes, I can better to hear you.
Speaker 8: You're on speaker.
Speaker 3: Go ahead.
Speaker 8: How are you guys?
Speaker 7: This is a game, jab Jame?
Speaker 3: How are you? Long time no talk?
Speaker 7: Yeah, long time no talk.
Speaker 8: How are you two doing?
Speaker 2: We're doing fine. Jay's out today. He's sick. But let me tell you. Let me take a guess. You must be really pissed off.
Speaker 8: Yeah I am. Yeah, you want to talk about it?
Speaker 3: Yes, just don't cuss, Okay, I won't.
Speaker 8: Uh so. Yeah. The offense was not the same compared to the New Mexico game, gore seven points. The defense tried to do some good things, but they couldn't stop the run, and the coaching steps from what I've watched, didn't really give a you know why, And the players same thing. So I think what needs to happen is both the coaches and the players need to need to need to hunger down and stare down.
Speaker 9: And they need to well.
Speaker 8: For the defense, Dwayne need Dwayne and Keina needs to tell the players to tackle, to to to to tackle and the and and if if you know, Babers can just can't get this offense going, I think he needs to retire. And I'm not saying Brent Brennan needs her to be fired, but I'm just I'm just stating the fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think what you're saying is probably what a lot of people are thinking in this town.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: We talked about this Friday. I don't know if you listened to on Friday, that they that the last thing they could do was not play well and not stay close. It was close for two quarters and then it was over. After that, Like I said, I was disheartened, and I'm sure as a fan as opposed as you are, to following the team that.
Speaker 3: They just didn't show up. It's like they didn't care. They're indifferent.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly, you're one right.
Speaker 8: I was watching the game, I think the four There was a few minutes going the fourth quarter, and I don't want to pick on this player, but Justin Floyd was kind of chuckling or joking. I really don't want to pick on you, Justin, but come on, you guys, look fits off.
Speaker 2: Please, no, no, hey, I saw the same thing, Gabe. I saw the same thing, and I thought the same thing. As you're getting your butt kicked and you're acting like that, that's the last thing you want to be looking like. You're like you're having fun on the sideline. And whether it was just like one of those bad camera moments where you're you know, talking it up or whatever and they caught you at a bad time. But still you can't do that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and Noah Sfida, Jacob Manu iMac, I mean, you guys are the leaders.
Speaker 3: Come on, so let me ask you.
Speaker 2: I know, three games and Elastic the guys here inside, so everyone had them with eight wins, maybe nine wins. I can't remember what you told us at the beginning of the year. You're a pretty optimistic guy.
Speaker 8: It was uh it was nine wins.
Speaker 2: So so to what's your re evaluation? What's your reevaluation?
Speaker 7: I really I want.
Speaker 8: To see if they get everything in order, and then I want to see the Utah game, and then I'll make a final decision in regards to how many games.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fair enough. You know they're gonna be very big underdogs in that one.
Speaker 7: I know, I know.
Speaker 8: Well, I'm glad they're not ranked. So that's that's good because if Arizona has a chip on the shoulder and it's un raked, well, I mean we were. Arizona was unranked last year. So before we win those semi semon games. How is Jay taking this?
Speaker 2: Well, he's just as frustrated as everybody else. Uh he's not in today. He's sick. Uh, but but we'll see. I'll see him tomorrow.
Speaker 3: And he was.
Speaker 2: We were texting back and forth and it was just just an uninspiring effort. I mean, just like they just you know, let's get to get on the plane and come back to Tucson in front of the national audience. That was another problem. Jay, Jay, thanks for calling, continue to listen.
Speaker 8: Thank you anytime. I always I'm always listening to your podcast.
Speaker 2: So you're down Arizona. Love you guys, Thank you Geving, Yeah, thank you, gab. Hey, you got a couple more minutes for another call or two. We're gonna try to either go through the hour, We're not going to stop at the four o'clock hour, and we're gonna see if we're getting more calls. I'm gonna talk to Lamont Huntley at four o'clock maybe a little after four. We've got a call coming in.
Speaker 7: No you do.
Speaker 3: Hey, you're on the air, Hide of the Ball.
Speaker 10: Hi, Steve, it's Jim.
Speaker 3: Jim.
Speaker 2: Hey, exactly. I thought about you Friday night. I said, exactly what you said could happen.
Speaker 10: Happened well, And I didn't want to bring it up at the time because it sounded like I was, you know, full of myself and and.
Speaker 9: Brow being a team.
Speaker 10: But you guys touched on it a few minutes ago. It's it's their team speed. Yeah, especially on defense, and that those two quarterbacks that you mentioned, they random ragged from sideline to sideline to sideline.
Speaker 2: And nobody ever laid a glove on them. Yeah, it's like you know, Jim I don't know if you know this. A few years back, Jim told me again before they played the Penn State, didn't tackle much before they prepared for the don't want anybody hurt. I think that's the case now where they didn't tackle much and now they're they're behind the eight ball because they didn't tackle much.
Speaker 10: Well, they did not tackle well. And but I really think you know you want you get in a running contest with a guy and he beats you a couple of times, what do you do? That's a natural athletic skill. Yeah, Well, and so you can scream and jump up and down and cheerlead all you want, but that guy's going to beat you down the field on the next play.
Speaker 2: Right if you don't have the way to stop it. Guess what you're not going to stop it?
Speaker 10: Well, and that would be having better foot speed across the board. That's my observation on what what the most fundamental basic problem is. I could be wrong still, but that's what I've seen the and the numbers bear it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I think we asked you too that this could not happen. How on a scale one attend? How disheartened are you?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 10: I don't get that bent out of shape about.
Speaker 3: It either way. So yeah, okay, you're just an observer.
Speaker 10: Observer, Well, no, i'd like to see him when I'd like to see him do well. But you know, I don't invest myself, you know, very deeply. The thing that really comes to mind for me is, I've got an idea about bubble Steve, and I think you'll get this. What what's the difference between what's on the inside of a bubble and on the outside.
Speaker 11: Of a bubble?
Speaker 3: Air? More air? What is it?
Speaker 10: Well, reality is on the outside of the bubble. And every time we get ourselves locked into these little fought bubbles, this is what happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mean in terms of believing the hype and all that stuff. Yeah, yeah, well we've I've you know, I've been accused of being the negative Nitton Dilly and I think you may be by you two, but it's realistic every time. In basketball too, if they're if they're highly ranked or they're highly thought of, that's when you have to be concerned. When they're not in their underdogs, they pay hard and they consider themselves be very good.
Speaker 3: And I've seen it. I've seen a thousand times they played out of their ba.
Speaker 10: In this case, gravity is still a thing and you're not going to escape it, and that's what dictates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry, Yeah, I know, you're exactly right. You're exactly right.
Speaker 10: The other thing that I bet you'll identify with is I bet there's a guy walking around in Albuquerque this week talking about how Devin Danpierre ran the ran, the Arizona Wildcats ragged and damn near beat him.
Speaker 9: Well, they'll talk.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you this because I saw this. I saw maybe it's a twitter a thing from Albuquerque, maybe on Sunday Saturday. How proud they were because they played really well for three games against some top notch competition and the game against Juve was one of theirs, one of their main points. Hey, look we played an FPS team. Uh, that's very good, and we are at the time they thought was very good and we played close and we should have a lot to hang our hand on.
Speaker 10: I'm thinking at this point and at this point that's almost meaningless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, of course. Yeah, Jim, Hey, we gotta go. We gotta get ahold of the money. Thanks for the call, You're welcome. Good, We're gonna We're gonna continue the conversation of his points. You like, oh, you didn't hear the points just about the team not being fast enough. They couldn't stop the quarter because they weren't fast enough. The corners were useless. Pretty much caught it aut it. Yeah yeah, because you see it all right, you've seen it for players.
Speaker 4: I know that some of the corners we have aren't what they're being projected to.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, because well I.
Speaker 4: Think one of them is projected to be a first round pick. Yeah yeah, I never saw that. I just you don't see it. I personally never.
Speaker 3: Well that's the whole thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, here, you get this praise and it's high praise, and you start believing it, and then I'm gonna ask Lamont. I don't know how if he knows anything about this. I asked Jay this or somebody on Fridays maybe Saturday says so so nil. So if you're Matt, if you're gonna get paid, n I L Do you get paid before the season or after the season. So if you get before, this is not the real world. If your performance you are you get the money in your bucket?
Speaker 3: What do you have to do?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 3: Does that makes sense?
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, because if you you get paid at the end, okay, you deserve it, you work for it. So I don't know about that, and I'm not going to connect the two until i know more. But you understand where I'm going with it, right, It's like me paying you here, here's here's one hundred bucks. Have a good show. No, have a good shown, and then you get the money exactly. But that's not the case. I don't think the case. Yeah, you laugh because you know what I'm telling the truth.
Speaker 3: I know exactly what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm not gonna say I'm not going to correlate, but it was so disheartening. And then and then everyone kind of fights with Jed because he did what he did up there that has nothing to do.
Speaker 3: With Tucson exactly.
Speaker 2: That's like, you know, if you if you had a house that's a nice house in a cul de sac and your neighbor got a brand new car, or he wrecked his car and you're happy for the you're happy they erect his car. It doesn't make your house any better. Does you make your car running better? You have to worry about your situation.
Speaker 3: I don't get it. I don't get it.
Speaker 6: He might have to call ust because it's.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll let him know. That's fine, okay, Okay, what's going on? What are the guys? Victor texted me and said this your first show is like the Arizona game on Friday, and he's right, okay, let mean just text him real quick and get him on the show.
Speaker 3: Well, that's so bad. What's that? Okay? Maybe he'll call now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What other observations did you see? Who's special teams?
Speaker 6: Ah?
Speaker 4: He didn't even get on the field. Tyler Loop did not get on the field.
Speaker 3: What is that? What is That's how us?
Speaker 2: They're disorganized, right, they're not well coached. I'll stop there.
Speaker 3: There's just a lot of red flags in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, well that those two things and and penalties. Hello, you're on the airs is Lamont.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, we're ready to go with you this morning or this afternoon. Maybe that's why it's problems.
Speaker 3: How are you good?
Speaker 7: I'm good.
Speaker 3: About fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: What was your after watching after watching the game on Friday, what was your initial thought on what happened?
Speaker 7: Are you talking to me? Yes, I'm yeah, So like you were talking to somebody else.
Speaker 2: Just now no, no, I was, I was selling to the Guian studio.
Speaker 7: But now, okay, now do you okay, now are you guys? Are you on the area?
Speaker 3: Yes, we're on the years. But don't cuss.
Speaker 7: Oh, I'm not going to curse. I learned my lessons. Uh well, actually my initial thoughts when I was watching the game, I was, I was kind of like get shocked in regards to, you know, which team is out there playing.
Speaker 9: Against the Kansas State that Kansas State, Kansas State.
Speaker 7: I mean I was, I was only shock and maybe as far as who's really showing up at this point in time, because the chemistry between Nora and and t mac and and Hiss, I mean, it just wasn't even there. I mean, it just didn't seemed like it was the same team a couple of weeks ago. And I know the defense kind of improved themselves the second week against NAU, but I think the defense took a step back. Was also in regards to, you know, protecting the run and and and also trying to keep the quarterback in the pocket, and you know, and then uh, you know, there was times when the linebackers and defensive backs was you know making some you know, some foolish tackles and coverages and those tickles of nature. So I just think all in all, it was a I didn't you know, surprised to see who was out there, and maybe it was a you know, a different team underneath those helmets that wasn't our Wildcats.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I've said this a couple of times already since we got back on the air. The thing that this disappointed me in my observation right away was they didn't look like they had any interest in being there in the second half, at least, there was no emotion. There was no body language that was like when is the when is the plane leave? Because we want to get the hell out of here.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, I honestly I don't want to. I don't want to put them in that situation, you know, because I mean, how how how do you become you know, shell shocked in regards to being that environment? I mean you you you you play you know Oklahoma and down at the Alamo Bow, So I mean, I mean those are teams that you know playing, but particularly you know, this particular Arizona football team. So you played a caliber team in Oklahoma. So you know what that's all about. And you played them very well. You played against them very very well, kick their butts and and whatnot. So I don't think that aspect of it. As far as you know, I don't I shouldn't be here, so to speak. I don't think I belong here. I shouldn't be here competing against them.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, that's not that's not what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that they were just it was almost like, Okay, you got us twenty one to sell whatever, let's get the hell out of here.
Speaker 3: They were disinterested in the game.
Speaker 2: Not that they didn't believe you think they gave up in that case.
Speaker 7: So the second day they gave up. But you know that they again as far as the actual things that I did see out there in the presence when they scanned the sidelines, I mean, honestly, I mean I was disappointed in TMAC because I did see some you know, disbelief in him as far as being uninterested on the sideline at the time when they panned there and they you know, they showed his facial expressions on the sideline. You know that. To me personally, I said, what's up with this kid? I mean, really, what's going on with this kid? Why isn't this kid a little more emotional or a little more invested in the fact that they getting their butts kicked the way they're getting their butts kicked, right, you know, so any competitive person would would have that fire in their belly in regards to what was taking place that particular day. I did. I mean, I saw it in Noah. I mean, I think Norah was little rattle by it. But you know, personally, I can't say I seen any other particular person, but t Mac I did see that. I did see that disappointment in his expression on his face. I did see that, And and I think a lot of people may have seen that too in regards to how how he was reacting to sitting on the bench. And then there was time with why isn't he in the game? My question that too. I don't care. We I mean, we was, you know, getting down to the last two three minutes. If the rest of those guys in there, he should be in there with the rest of his team, his teammates and and John I just throw those catch in there to protect him. So maybe they protected him, because I don't know, is the kid still is he one hundred percent yet or not. I don't know.
Speaker 3: So let me ask you.
Speaker 2: I asked the guys in here in the in the room here, So do you know how this works?
Speaker 3: Okay? Ricky?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 3: You know? Ricky?
Speaker 2: Are you Lamar Honey? You're a senior. You're a senior at U of A. You striked up nil deal before the year, over the summer? And do you get paid before the season, during the season, or after the season.
Speaker 3: And bear with me.
Speaker 2: So if Lamon Honey gets paid fifty thousand dollars or whatever in August, what the hell does he have to show for it?
Speaker 3: I mean, you you already got paid?
Speaker 7: You agree? I agree?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 7: And and and and that's and that's what we that's probably what we're dealing with in the landscape of all college football. It's the fact that, I mean, you're dealing with the fact that you're giving these kids all of this money that they don't have to work for, right, I mean, why do I have to go out there produce a show, Toself? And you know, And I'm not and and and lord knows, I'm not saying that Tmax this way, and I pray that he isn't. But this guy gonna be playing on Sunday. You know. So the fifty thousand dollars that that or whatever that you know, round about number that we talked about that he got for his INNL deal, I mean, that's peanuts compared to what this guy gonna get on Sunday. Sure, you know. And honestly, I don't think, you know, if he gets out there produced or not produced, I don't think he's really gonna hurt his draft position. I mean, I think he already places his draft position where he's going to be. And and then once the season is over, all he got to do is just go to the combines and and and get in front of some teams and show his capabilities, and you know, his draft position might even go up higher.
Speaker 2: So I'm not I'm not singling him out directly. I'm just saying you any student, any student who gets paid X amount of money, uh, just not how the world works. I mean, you have you you don't pay your employees before they show up, not at all.
Speaker 7: They get paid once they once they do their work and and whatnot. And and again maybe they they got something in place where you know, the kids may be getting the money at a certain time instead of the money up front. You know, if if, if, if, if I had any choice on it to where I can make that decision on how the money gonna be divet out. It will be given out on a weekly basis, or maybe a quarterly basis or whatever we come up with a monthly basis. I mean, if it's the true nim well, if it's the nil money that they establish for these kids to get X amount dollars a month, I mean, you know through throughout the semester, I would give that out accordingly of how you plan how you play each week. You know, because you could. I mean you get that. You can have kids out there to say I got mine? Yeah, why don't need God here working the harder for so.
Speaker 3: You don't have to tell me who you watch the game with.
Speaker 2: You probably did at home with your with your family, but uh, you do know people, you know, how your friends who form players, how how disheartened were they from the game?
Speaker 7: Well, you know, I mean we did have some I did have quite a few people that I didn't go to game, I didn't watch the game with, but we we text among each other and regards to what we was watching and and a lot of this stuff was, Man, are we really watching this same football team that was there a week or two weeks ago? Are we are we watching the same football team from last year? I mean, are we really watching the same football team? You know, it's basically, you know, coach by coach Brennan and got this new defensive coordinator and putting things in place. I mean, those questions did come come to to text amongst one another, and and all of us was basically in shock in regards to what was taking place, and and and then a lot of the things that was that was that was put out there. It was again, what team is out here on this football football field? And why are they playing the way they play? You know, you know some people are talking just generalize. I think people are saying on the news or the papers and social media in regards to particularly the defense. They're talking is it the scheme or is it the coaching staff? I mean, you can have any scheme you want. If you ain't got the right players to put that scheme together, then you know we're in trouble. And I think our situation is, especially upfront, we don't have the right bodies. I mean, we don't have bodies that can produce upfront to allow the best part of our defense to showcase themselves, and that's the defensive backs in our linebacker. So now it looks like our whole defense is a suspect because our upfront unit they just not to par against, not even in New Mexico to nau now.
Speaker 9: Kansas, Kansas State and getting into.
Speaker 7: This big ten, it's gonna get worse. So I think that right there, Ana, lies our problem is that we just don't have the right players. And it's not the system or the scheme or that people would say what Dwayne is putting in front of us, it's the actual players.
Speaker 2: Well, I hate to say this because web Waldroup and some of those guys aren't walking through the doors there to help you exactly.
Speaker 7: And that's going to be I mean, that's gonna be a long, long year because of the fact you're right, and you can't find nobody and you can't make these kids, you know, playing. You know, the kids got to have it within themselves as far as want to produce, you know, up front, you know, they have to have it within themselves, and they gotta want to do it, and they gotta, you know, want to be and you know, be be be coached right, you know, and coached up simplely and you know, and all the all the fun things and make the game fun again. But again, if they don't want to do it, and you know, maybe it goes back to the questions you just said earlier. She they already got paid, why they got to go out there and produce themselves?
Speaker 3: Let me, you know, let me ask you one more question before before you go.
Speaker 2: I know we won't probably talk to you before the Utah game, but what are you hoping to see?
Speaker 3: And guess what? They're going to be underdogs by fifteen seventeen whatever it is. Yeah, what do you hope to see in the next game?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, I mean I hope to see defensively first and foremost I want to see and I hope to see more aggressiveness and more control type of a football player out there. Okay, I think our football, our team up front there, they are totally undisciplined when it comes to their eyes. Okay, they're seeing something that they don't they don't supposed to be seeing, you know. Instead of keeping their eyes disciplined in the area they supposed to be, they let the eyes wander and it gets them in trouble, you know. So we need to have.
Speaker 9: These defensive linemen and upfront, I mean.
Speaker 7: Since the whole up front seven just be more disciplined with their eyeballs. I mean, there's time that you can place yourself in a good position and fall over and make a tackle, you know, as long as you're in the right position and doing what they call the gap control type of a defense. If we do those things, then we'll.
Speaker 9: We'll probably see a more progressive.
Speaker 7: Defense at that point in time. Offensively, they gotta have fun again, I mean, get out there and start having fun, right you know. I mean, and just run around and and and and be those kids that they were last year. You know, don't put this extra pressure if you have it on your back, remove yourself from that. I mean, Nor got to be the be the leader that he is, and I know, the kids a leader, I mean, the kids a leader, and people going to follow this kid. So now he has to stand up in the middle of that room, you know, and get these kids back at it again and start having fun with the game of football, you know. And because right now we're not having fun with it, and it starting the same thing there. It starts up front with that deep offensive line. Those kids. He has to look them in the eyes and let those let the offensive line know that I need more from you. I mean, I need more from you. I can't keep running around and or running for my life because the fact that you know, you missing up on the on the scheme block here or there. So he has to take make those guys accountable for their job. And that's what a true leader does. And I think the rest of those guys they're gonna come in to play. The skilled players and wide receivers and the running backs they gonna come into the play because I mean, I think I think the running back is probably the best thing on our offense right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, will Lama, honey, thank you for joining me. We'll talk to you soon, you soon.
Speaker 7: We're good. Did you pay your bill? That's why, that's why they kicked you off.
Speaker 3: Something's going on here. I have no idea what's going on.
Speaker 7: You didn't know that if you don't pay.
Speaker 9: Your bill to cut your electricity off in.
Speaker 3: Your phone off, it's not the electricity, just as Arizona's offense did last Friday. That's not good, all right? Thank you man?
Speaker 2: Thank you man does Lama Honey will take the breakdown? Can you go to the break and then come back and get that modano on the other side.
Speaker 12: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help if you select the perfect wood type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Doratle Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 13: Where do you buy exercise equipments Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 14: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona House the lead madge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 15: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your companies. Giveaways keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 16: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpe is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Volpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five to two zero six five six two six today in MLS three H eight seven, arizon A b K nine Z two nine four two Equal housing opportunity, Got to commitment to lydrixyon credit, greats and available loan programs or suthu to change with them.
Speaker 17: Notice did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle So for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie So for five points six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's Showtime Cards. Ready to save but not sure where to begin?
Speaker 18: Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big. Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k channel to get.
Speaker 3: Started today and really insured and CEU way.
Speaker 19: Got bugs, termitespees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. That's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you? He told me about as you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Army Homes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our Selling a home of Danny Roth at five zero four nine zero four thousands streaming.
Speaker 1: Live, I mean iHeart radio.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 1: This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jacob Salez not Fox Sports fourteen to fifteen.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to Whying the Ball here Fox Sports Sports.
Speaker 7: I'm Steve Rivera.
Speaker 2: James out today He's got him really well, got got Henry.
Speaker 3: And Matt Now what you got met? But I don't know if I'm going dot.
Speaker 7: Tom put that musical General.
Speaker 3: Matt, that was all for you.
Speaker 20: Nice a great entrance.
Speaker 7: I like it.
Speaker 2: We brought off the drums for you. So what were your options? Did you want your Game of Priday?
Speaker 21: You had to parts of it, so I was watching actually one of Arizona's commits play at play at the same time, so I got to see parts of it most of the first half, kind of the.
Speaker 20: Portion Arizona still in the game.
Speaker 7: Second half.
Speaker 21: I kind of was spotty here.
Speaker 20: And there, kind of checking in between players.
Speaker 21: But got to get a good feel for what went on, and.
Speaker 20: Obviously not a lot of great things for Arizona and that game.
Speaker 2: What does this do for the perception of the program and maybe the team, or does it at all?
Speaker 3: I might overthinking it.
Speaker 20: You're overthinking it.
Speaker 6: It does nothing.
Speaker 20: If you're talking about recruits, it doesn't really do a whole lot.
Speaker 21: I mean, it's again, I think fans have this thing where they look at games through their own lens, and they look at it different than a lot of recruits and recruits, but just don't view things the same. Negative games don't impact things as much as positive games.
Speaker 20: In recruiting, So.
Speaker 21: If people think that because there wasnt a loss of tame to stay and it didn't look good, that suddenly they're going to lose all the recruits.
Speaker 20: This is not going to happen. It's not how it works.
Speaker 21: There's too much involved, there's too many things that are in play, especially when you're talking about and IL now, it just doesn't work that way. So in overaction, I think if you're talking about recruiting now, if you're just a fan, I think you have some valid complaints. I think there's some things that should be concerning. But yeah, it wasn't great. It wasn't a great look. I don't think it's a positive thing by any means, but it's definitely not you know, the end of the world that you're talking about recruiting and building the type program they want.
Speaker 2: To build, but is near the end of the world. Look closer to the end of the world when you have, uh, when you have a performance like that, you're only three games in and and and every game looks bad and this one just look worse.
Speaker 6: Correct.
Speaker 21: I think that if you look at the overall you know picture, it's not great. I mean, the trend it was kind of ability to this. You know, the New Mexico game had its kind of issues and then they finally were able to kind of pull that out and you know, lean on their their star player and you know, able to kind of get that win. And then it didn't look good against ANAU and they're able to escape with that one. You go, well, I think my thought was the offense needs to prove it to me, because that's been the issue. You have to defent have some problems, and that showed up, you know against Kansas State. But to me, it's been the offense and you have to find some other weapons, some other way to get points on the board other than tetroumcvillain, and so they haven't been able to do that. The offensive play car and has looked you know, a little uh, you know, not ingenious in a lot of ways and kind of not creative.
Speaker 20: And you know, that's it's an issue. And I think that you now have seen it three weeks in a row, that's the problem.
Speaker 21: That's the full fledged kind of problem at this point, because it's not just a fluke. It's not something that you know, they're still just trying to figure it out. I think by week three you need to need to have figured it out, and if you didn't, you know, going into the top twenty matchup, Uh, you know, that's the problem.
Speaker 20: And so they have some things that they need to work on.
Speaker 21: Obviously they're heading into this bye week and have some extra time to figure things out. But I'm not sold that everything that's going wrong with this team right now is things that can be fixed in a week or two.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know, so, Matt, let me ask you. You talked about Matt Modero talked about the offense. What are your thoughts on the offense or just to play calls? No, no, not you, Matt, now, you man, My MAT's in off in here, so hold.
Speaker 20: On, got you.
Speaker 4: I wasn't upset at it. I think the old line could have played a little better. The run game wasn't there, So the runs game is not there automatically away from the passing game. But yeah, it just I don't know, it's just was it much same in that last game?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're talking this is not an easy solution, right right, Matt?
Speaker 7: What I know?
Speaker 20: I don't think so.
Speaker 21: I mean I think that your game plan and you you devise your schemes and your systems and everything and what you want to do.
Speaker 20: Over the course of the entire year.
Speaker 21: You know, they're you know, Gal Babers and uh, you know, Guanna Quina and those guys in charge of their units have been working on Okay, this is what we want to do.
Speaker 20: When we get to the ball.
Speaker 21: You're putting, you know, eight months of work into that, and so it's not going to flip overnight. You're not going to be able to As smart as all these coaches are, it's really difficult to be like, all right, we're gonna have to do something different. And I think but that's kind of where they're at, where they need to try something else because it feels like they've tried the same things over and over again and it just hasn't worked. And so whether that's it could just be as simple as somebody else stepping up and somebody you know emerging and being like, you know, hey, I'm tired of this. I'm going to be the one to step up in terms of a player, But it really feels like it's it's system related and decision related and those you know, those things follow in the coaching staff, and so I think it's one of those things where the staff kind of has to reflect on itself figure out, you know what where where are the issues right now? And they feel pretty clear. And there's some personnel related things that I think as well that it's going to be. That's maybe something you learned in the buyble because you try some different guys because personnel wise, you know, there's not a whole lot you can You can't go get a bunch of new guys right now.
Speaker 20: It's not the NFL.
Speaker 21: Yeah, so you know you can't go get a bunch of you guys right now. So you maybe try some different pieces, try some different combinations. But I think the one thing you can do with Arizona is just see where you're at and and kind of stand idle. You know, you have to be able to, you know, pick apart what you did wrong in that game to state game and then figure out what the solutions are and come extra time to do that. But I think you can't, you know, just kind of stand pat You have to figure out what you're doing. I know there's been you know, an array of conversation about where things went wrong with they need to do, but you know this coachestoft leadings that I think figure out what what is the actual issue right now and try and address that because the scheduling continue to get harder, right right.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, at the end of the day, as we evaluate this stuff, we thought that go to and two right within the first two, possibly maybe pull one off in the next two, but it doesn't look likely. So you're two and two with the with the schedule kind of favorable to Arizona at least what we thought going in. I still think there's a chance to win some games the Texas texts, some of the other ones, obviously the West Virginia's uh and others. So there's still hope.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: They just got to, like you say, kind of get better at some of the things they're doing.
Speaker 3: And what do you see? What do you see in the the TMAC Noah combination.
Speaker 21: Yeah, I mean I think it's so strong that it's it's difficult. I don't blame for not I know you did a little bit better, but for not spreading the ball around more. I know that was the conversation after the first game, like, well, you sed to you know, find different receivers, but man, if you have Tetron McMillan, if you have t MAC out there, and you've built this relationship with them over years. It's hard to not look there and you know he can go make those plays. I think you're confident, you know, if you're no computa, Hey he can make that play.
Speaker 20: I can just throw the ball up there and he can go make that play.
Speaker 21: And so but you have to they're just it's almost to the point where they're going to have to for seed you know, certain actions and certain things within the game where they're gonna have to be like, no, you have to you cannot throw that ball there. It has to go somewhere else, because they're going to have to find a way to almost manufacture different ways of gaining ground, in gaining yards because I know you guys just mentioned that, you know, the running game that just hasn't been up to par uh, you know, it wasn't up to part.
Speaker 20: In the game to state game. You know, they're missing obviously missing Bill there. But you have enough to do some.
Speaker 21: Things on the ground, and so the ground game, you know, one one has to compliment the other. If they're able to really be strong on the ground, it's going to.
Speaker 20: Open up the passing game for some of these other players.
Speaker 21: But this also, to me, is kind of a byproduct of building a team through the portal. You just never know, You never know what it's going to look like. You have to make decisions really quick when you're talking about portal players. You don't have a ton of time to evaluate everything they've done. You just kind of watch the state and go, okay, there, I like them, I don't like them. And so I think it's one of those things that you just this is why it's so difficult to really project what a team is going to look like based on who they signed in the portal, because you just don't know how it's all gonna match together, how it's all gonna work together, whether they the guy they think they got is truly that guy and is he gonna be able to translate to their system? And so I think Arizona's going through that a little bit. I think some guys that they picked up in the portal they thought that they thought would be better just having performed up to that level, and you know, you're kind of figuring that out right now, can they be the guys they thought, you know, they picked up?
Speaker 20: And maybe that's still a possibility. I think it's still early enough. For those guts to develop.
Speaker 21: But yeah, it's been really interesting, and I think it's really about just for No fpeat, it's about I need to really understand every part of this offense, figure it out, and do my best to spread the ball around because that's only going to help you know, team back there eventually teams.
Speaker 20: And teams already starting to do it.
Speaker 21: Just zero in on him because if you take him out of the equation, nobody else can beat you right now. And so that's that's kind of where Arizona is at, and that's kind of the worst spot to be in because again, it makes you one dimensional. It makes the game time pretty simple. I think even defensively right now, if you're you know, Arizona, if you're an opposing team and you're looking at what Avery Johnson did, it's like, hey, I'm just gonna attack him with the running game.
Speaker 20: And you know, Davon Dampier did the same thing.
Speaker 21: A running quarterback is it really feels like that's their kind of buggably right now, and then that's kind of their issue, is like can you stop a running quarterback and it and maybe not every team has that, but they're going to utilize that element if they know that's the way.
Speaker 20: To be there and down it.
Speaker 2: So I was gonna ask you, So it's fite too much to ask that the offense kind of pulls this team together, because you know, you covered, you were here in rich Rod's time for the offense kind of had the outscore opponents to win.
Speaker 21: Yeah, I mean it's I still think there's something there at the offense.
Speaker 7: I think that.
Speaker 21: Overall it's probably closer to what it was in the Mexico game. But again, that's very one dimensional and that was one guy having a career day, and so I still think there's some good elements to this offense. It's just about figuring out how to make it all kind of work together. And I think that's the difficulty when you bring some pieces together. I mean, THEO Babers and Brent Brandon didn't work together, you know, last season and in previous years. So I think there's probably some of that too, where everyone's kind of adjusting and trying to get on the same page and trying.
Speaker 20: To figure things out, and so it is going to take some time.
Speaker 21: I do think there is some talent to make sure that the offense can be more productive, but right now that's that's where the issue is. I mean, they have to be able to score points. You can't score one touchdown in a game against the quality opponent. You're not playing any of U in the Mextro aren't on the schedule anymore.
Speaker 20: I mean, you're gonna play.
Speaker 21: Some teams that are going to be better and have more talent. And so I know, you mentioned you know, the schedule does get a little bit easier you go deeper into the season, but you know, you get Yukon next and then you know there is still talent in the rest of the Big twelve, and so you know, I think it's going to have to be again this this staff trying to figure out, okay, what works, what pieces work, and this five week is important. I mean, they have to look better against Utah. I mean that's just a challenge in itself, going out to Utah and trying to beat them. But you know, as the season, as the second half of the season plays out, or you know, the games.
Speaker 20: After that, you know, you just have to be better.
Speaker 21: You have to have better showings, you have to win some games, you have to start stacking some wins, and so you know it's going to be a really interesting thing to see what they look like when they come out against Utah and then especially Texas Tech when they should have their footing, because if it doesn't look good in the next couple of games, it could be a long season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question, So we'll see. Well, we run out of time. Thank you, Matt. We'll come back to you soon down the road. Thank you man.
Speaker 20: Right, yeah, anytime.
Speaker 3: See, thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's take a break, come back and talk more about this football team and see what happens.
Speaker 3: Thanks gas.
Speaker 22: This report is sponsored by Cool Willies Aaron Plumbings.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Sports team.
Speaker 23: A serious crash on southbound Oracle at last Latus is blocking that intersection.
Speaker 6: Try first Avenue or River as your alternates.
Speaker 7: There.
Speaker 23: Injury accidents still being worked at northern south of Hardy Road. A crash with injuries twenty second straight at Beverly Avenue Freeways Looking pretty good. Just a car fire that's been moved off to the right on the ten eastbound near Sandario Carrie Edwards Tucson traffic.
Speaker 22: At Cool Willi's Plumbing, they'll help you with drain cleaning, water treatments, tower repairs and replacements.
Speaker 6: Trust the big guy.
Speaker 22: Contact two sounds. Most respected plumbing experts at Coolwillies dot com, where they are big enough to help and small enough to care. That's Coolwillies dot com. Coolwillies dot com.
Speaker 11: You know what makes summer feel like summer? Firing up the grill with Kingsford Original charcoal. The sound, the smell, the taste good. Kingsford Original gives your favorite booze that smoky wood fired flavor you can't get anywhere else. So grab a bag of Kingsford Original charcoal, America's grilling expert, and let's celebrate summer the Kingsford Way.
Speaker 6: Kingsford dot com.
Speaker 1: This is your Monday Sports Minutes, brought to you by bet MGM, the sportsbook born in bakus Hi.
Speaker 24: This is Bill Krachenberger from Fox Sports Radios. Countdown to Kickoff, presented to you by bet MGM. Tonight we have the Philadelphia Eagles versus the Atlanta Falcons. The Eagles are a five and a half point favorite. It's their home opener. I'm sure you know the link in South Philly, one of the toughest places for opponents to play on the planet. I get, also, I do, I really do get. Falcons don't want to go zero to two. However, I lean the Eagles here. I just think the Eagles are going to come out home opener Monday Night Football, even though there's a little question now about Brown playing.
Speaker 6: I like the Eagles here. Enjoy the game.
Speaker 1: New BETMGM customers can download the up today using code minute to receive up to fifteen hundred dollars back in bonus bets if they don't win their first bet. Bet MGM in game cents remind you to play responsibily. See beatmgm dot com for terms twenty one plus the wager new customer offer subject to eligibility requirements. Rewards are non withdrawable bonus bets that expire in seven days.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 25: This is the Parker and Sun's weathers in are for all your azy plumbing and electric leads.
Speaker 3: Carl Parker. This reboard is sponsored by Bullfrog Spies.
Speaker 1: Your Tucson weather is on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 25: Well, much like Sunday, we'll see highs in the low to mid nineties under Partley, the mostly cloudy skies, scattered thunder showers later this evening as well. Southwest wins eight ten miles an hour and overnight lows in the mid seventies. I'm Rob Kendrick and that is your Tucson Weather.
Speaker 26: It's Bullfrog Spas Big factory sale this weekend only at the PMA County Fairgrounds and Tucson Factory certified clearance, scratch and Dent. Even new hot tubs and swim spas as low as fifty percent off.
Speaker 3: Hurry in while the deals last.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you'd know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Lute. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email media Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Hi, this is formal.
Speaker 6: While get leman huntly with Arizona Health.
Speaker 13: Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 3: And your life.
Speaker 13: We off a complete line of caudio machines, multi gms and freewate equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment.
Speaker 3: And training to get you started to keep you going.
Speaker 13: Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 15: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial daid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PIMA dotg slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve Rivera here and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home. Then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home.
Speaker 3: And auto coverage.
Speaker 2: Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Lord Campbell, or call him at five two.
Speaker 3: Zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez sound Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app Just Surgery.
Speaker 7: I on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 3: I'm Steve Rivera, jays out.
Speaker 7: Today's not doing well?
Speaker 3: Spot to day out? He tell you want to too much? Is up Friday in the game I have.
Speaker 2: I've got Henry here, we're running the board and Matt you guy here helping me out. Tough, tough game. More what are what are other concerns? I know you didn't hear lamont or or Moreno, but let me ask you, and I asked moreno, the same question. Uh, is it too much to ask for the offense to outscore teams?
Speaker 3: No, as long as we have t MAC and know what on the field, I don't think it's you think that, Yeah, but it didn't happen. I know your looks still tell me on the regular tell now.
Speaker 4: But on a serious note, I think the major concern to me was the running.
Speaker 3: Game and and and it's not there. It's not well, is it?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 3: J c M? It's j c M? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 6: And he's not.
Speaker 3: I was just going to tell you that.
Speaker 2: I was just going to say that there was no update information today, but at the very you know, he's not.
Speaker 3: Going to come back.
Speaker 5: I think the issue is less about the actual running play. It's more the design. They're taking so long to get started.
Speaker 2: That that was asked to in the handoffs and.
Speaker 5: The handles are so slow. The d lines are able to get in the backfield already. So that's the old line too, then yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So if the old lines an issue, and when you that was gonna happen going in and Lamont says the defensive line or issues were games won in the front in the front and the back and that's not a good sign, not at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you do you notice that stuff? You obviously I've seen it, right, Yeah, the old lines.
Speaker 5: This year they're running with fullbacks a lot more than they did previously. I don't think last year they ever used fullbacks. This year they've used fullbacks a lot, which it works, does some work sometimes.
Speaker 4: But right, And it doesn't make sense to me because they have a lot of talented running backs like Speedy Loop. I don't know why he's not on the field, but he's not getting any playing tom It's just I don't know, man.
Speaker 3: They got to figure it out. But it's gonna be tough this year. What was you guys were on campus today?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how was the feeling or it didn't really matter? Yeah you didn't feel yeah? No, And you guys are going you guys go to the games too, right, Yes, So it's going to be different. I think the next home game, right.
Speaker 5: I think if they beat Utah it will be it won't be different. If they lose the Utah then it will definitely be different.
Speaker 3: Right. What do you think is what happens? Is cam riising play?
Speaker 5: We don't know, Yeah, we don't know it will depend on if he plays because he didn't play last year and destroyed him.
Speaker 3: But right, Yeah, but this is kind of different.
Speaker 6: A different team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you guys watched both last year. What do you what do you think the vibe is? It's totally different.
Speaker 4: I think we had a lot of expectations coming into this season, especially after beating Oklahoma in that bowl game.
Speaker 5: So you know that hurts. Yeah, the expectations. I just think we're way too high considering what this team lost. I mean, they lost their head coach. It changes a lot of guys to the NFL. We should have seen. I mean, I think a lot of people did see that there's gonna be some regression, and we're starting to see that.
Speaker 2: The realistic people, I don't think there's that exists, even though I kind of bought into the Okay, and you guys you played. You played at a pretty high level in California.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The one thing I've learned in this position for thirty some years covering it and writing about it is coaching matters. Coaching matters. You could have the same talent with a different coach a better team, and it's a better team. And not to say Brenton Brennan is the guy, or not the guy because it's too early. But he's different than Jed on the field, you can see it the on the no personalities type of things. And his coaches too. Because you were a running back, you said, and you're running boat, your head coach is your head coach, right, so you listen to him and you're running back to coach is different than your head coach, but you still have to pay attention.
Speaker 3: Exactly know what I'm saying. And I don't know if that's happening.
Speaker 2: Not that they're not paying attention, it's getting getting not getting involved.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was gonna say it feels less involved. Jed called the plays last year and this year Brennan doesn't call it play.
Speaker 3: Doesn't call a player, and it's and they're not. They're not dynamic plays. You know, we have some dynamic players and you have something players.
Speaker 2: Right, you're asking for a nice food at a restaurant and you're not getting the food that you're asking.
Speaker 3: It's not tasting the same, right, right. I don't know.
Speaker 2: To me, it was just like I said at the beginning of the show, it's just and I'm not a fan.
Speaker 3: You know people know who listen to this. I'm not a fan. It's just disheartening for or to see the indifference, like it's like, let's just get get out of here. Yeah. Yeah, and you guess your fans. You guys are fans, right, definitely.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm a fan and Henry and you're seeing it too, right.
Speaker 2: I don't want to kind of go back to the same subject, but you're seeing that they're okay whatever, and that's what brought up the ail thing.
Speaker 3: Matt.
Speaker 4: Listen, I know some Walkons that are making fifty K. You're here, no no, no, no, general in other places. So if Walkhon's making fifty k, right, just imagine what scholarship players are making.
Speaker 3: Oh sure yeah.
Speaker 4: So I don't know if if I'm a player and I'm getting paid and I'm still not getting playing time, I'm thinking personally, when one am I getting here?
Speaker 3: Right? Once I got my money? You know, right, no question.
Speaker 2: The funny thing about it is if you're walking on somewhere else, then I've heard that.
Speaker 3: But then you know those people.
Speaker 2: You go somewhere let's say X high seated school, and you're not playing, but you're getting fifty You're not gonna get fifty at a lower school, not at all, but you'll play, but you'll play. So so what's what's again?
Speaker 4: If I'm a player and I'm not getting playing time that I was promised, I'm, like you said, I'm on the sideline doing whatever I want, you know, on my own world.
Speaker 3: And yeah, are you gonna get the heck out of there? Yeah, even though you get the money, Are you getting the money? No, you definitely get the money. Yeah, you gotta get the money. No, no, no, no, okay.
Speaker 2: So you're you're you're at big U, right, you're big at you but you're a walk on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're getting X amount of money. Now you still get the stipe in every every month. No no, no, no, no, okay, So you get the stipen, you get the fifty thousand, like you said, you said, hey, but you're not playing, You're a fourth string running back whatever. I'm want to go to a lower school and play, but not.
Speaker 2: Likely to get that that money because that school doesn't have the money the big school task, right, So what's your decision?
Speaker 4: I mean, you're looking at your future here. Do you want to sit and get the bare minimum? More plan? See what your value is once you put up the stats. So I don't know me personally, I'll leave and go to the small.
Speaker 3: Maybe without getting that money. Get in the bag.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, it makes sense, makes sense, it makes sense. But are you a freshman or are you a freshman sophomore junior? I think being a no, no, no, no, just that situation. Yeah, So if you're a freshman, do you stick it out? If you're a freshman, you get to step in. Because if you're a senior junior, then maybe, okay, you gotta look at your career how it's been, if you haven't had any stats and anything. But also if you're you're a halfway decent player, you're gonna you're gonna kind of maybe stick it out because those guys leave and then.
Speaker 4: You move up the right. It all depends. It all depends. But again, if there's.
Speaker 2: You gotta you just gotta understand the situation is different situations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, are you gonna give up fifty thousand?
Speaker 4: Just I'm listen, I'm just imagining what you see the outcastler.
Speaker 3: Driver, right, No, no, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And that goes to my point, I'm driving this right, They ain't take it away from me, I think, and the tackling. You know what I'm saying, it's just it doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's given before, it's earned, So given before, it's exactly And then we talked about that earlier. And you see it. You can see I don't. I don't.
Speaker 2: You can see the problems that it could present. I'm not saying there's problems now, but you know it's not how the world is.
Speaker 3: Definitely, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we'll see. Anybody want to call in. We have a few minutes. We get about ten minutes, eight eight, eight minutes. Yeah, give us a quick call. Get us through this. Five two oh four one six seventy four forty. I think we got it under control, not me, Henry, it's got it under control. Yeah, yeah, So give us a call. What's your thoughts, what are your thoughts? On the end, I'll talk that we just had. You know, you don't have the one thing that I think that's gonna happen. I didn't talk to Leman about it. So you play this this you lay an egg in this last weekend. If you lay an egg against Utah and you don't do well, this year as a team and you and you're a you're a guy who's given this fifty thousand or are you giving this?
Speaker 3: You gonna want to do it again? Probably not?
Speaker 5: Guess guess what drives up? Did you dry up? And then what I think? Uh, there were like boosters at the game too, Oh.
Speaker 3: It was this was the booster.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: They stayed there a couple more days after after the team left, you know, took in the sights of Manhattan, I guess. But but they went and they got to see stuff firsthand.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the game.
Speaker 2: You want to kind of impress everybody, right exactly because the purse strings in the wall, it's open up, and you know, I don't have the money to give, so it doesn't matter for me, but for the people that do you those are the people you're asking exactly.
Speaker 5: But I will say I think if you're a booster, you're a booster because you love you that you love the school.
Speaker 6: Question not going to go away.
Speaker 5: No question was if the team does trend down, that's not going to be promising.
Speaker 3: For the year.
Speaker 2: And we talk about this maybe a year or two before the nil. They love the school, so they support the school. Not the player exactly. Yeah, so oh you're giving it to the player. No, no, no, I wanted to go to the athletic department, right, you know, and those cars that are driving those go things go away, right, and then you don't get then you don't get those players, those types of players exactly. So it's it's a catch twenty two right. And then talking about recruitment, that's how you bring in players these.
Speaker 3: So I agree with did you we were talking about on the air. You didn't have to hear fans.
Speaker 2: He says, it doesn't really matter now because it's early and that's not what players look at right now. But if you don't win, if you don't win, and what's in.
Speaker 3: It for me? Right, right, because that's what it is. I'm twenty one, so twenty.
Speaker 2: One year older, but you're still young and you're thinking, sorry, Matthew, you ain't gonna get what you hope for.
Speaker 4: What are you gonna do? You get to step in as you're gonna give me something? Yeah, exactly, but right, it's unfortunate, it's unfortunate. Yeah, we'll see what we'll see what happens. And it's kind of beating a dead horse. But I'll ask the questions when some of those guys come on and say, you know, what's the situation. You get paid on the front end back then, stuff like that. Yeah, I know, I know as a football player, you automatically get a stipend to pay. Yeah, yeah, yeah, of course, of course that's already. Yeah, that's and that's been that's been the case, the case. That's been the case, and.
Speaker 2: They're gonna get more here in a couple more years, when when the twenty million dollars comes in and and if you're a mediocre school, I'm not saying that's the case right now, but it's not training in a great.
Speaker 3: School, you're gonna get paid anyway. Yeah. Don't you wish you're still playing? Definitely? I really yeah. I did.
Speaker 2: Definitely do take your beatings on the field, and you can take it, man, I'll be on the sideline just yeah, you take your game me. Yeah, yeah, I'll did whatever. It ain't easy to be in a student athletes. Yeah, do you wish still playing?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: A little bit, a little bit, you know, because going to live games, I'm seeing players I just I don't know, as an athlete, as a former athlete, I just feel like I could compete, but maybe I'm yeah, losing a whole.
Speaker 2: Little bit right right, right, Well, why didn't you COVID COVID?
Speaker 3: I feel like expected. Where did you go to high school?
Speaker 4: I went to I went to Short High School, okay, and I was a senior. We have pretty good players in front of me. So my junior year I started half of the games and then senior came. We had COVID. So they canceled that season. Okay, and I got it would have been your season. Yeah exactly. I didn't want to go JUCO because I didn't feel like that was for me. But twenty twenty one, you have had a tryouts. I'm not sure if you they do it all had it for welcome. Yeah, and I went to that before. She didn't make it, but nobody made it during the whole trial, like they did nobody, So.
Speaker 3: That was that was for sure.
Speaker 6: I think they held those like a couple of weeks again, so bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so I remember that they typically do that anyway, just to get some more bodies or whatever, just to see So that was in his first year. Yeah, that was that just lost the n AU right exactly. Yeah, yeah, And were you disheartened a little bit. But then did you did you think you played well enough to make it?
Speaker 3: Oh? Definitely, definitely try out.
Speaker 4: Definitely, Yeah they were purposely not even if I was, I just like, no, no, definitely. I feel like they were doing that to make a statement. I don't know that to the other people. Yeah, just we don't need you guys, even though we're bad. I don't know, just someone was off about that little thing they had. But okay, that people they took on from the truck. Oh, they took nobody from There was a few, I'm sure there was. It was like, I'll say, like two hundred and three hundred people.
Speaker 7: That many.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought maybe.
Speaker 4: You're gonna say twenty five No, no, no, no, So they they put you in the stad the yeah, divided this into position groups. In my runner back group, it was like twelve ten of us pretty good, pretty good players in that group. Oh no, definitely, yeah, at least three that definitely could have at least been a walk on or something. And then that it was a lot of people there, but nobody, nobody made it.
Speaker 3: So what do you think when they took nobody?
Speaker 4: But I just I don't know. I just felt like, yeah, they just did it to do it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, they just did it to prove to the other guy you can be.
Speaker 4: Replaced exactly something like exactly that that point right there, Yeah, because you kind of sense or maybe people were leaving me and comments in the instagrams and thinking, oh, I could join this team and then they didn't.
Speaker 3: Just right, I don't know, right, I get it, I get it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's tough and they turned out to be. Okay, we'll see what happens here in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You think they're gonna win? Utah, be realistic, you realistic. Cameras is playing. I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Didn't you say what do you say Friday? Did you say that they win? No?
Speaker 6: No, because we no, I said I said that.
Speaker 3: But you hear funny Okay, you said they're gonna win.
Speaker 6: You said they're gonna win.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, So yeah, you guys are delusion.
Speaker 3: Remember what I know? You said?
Speaker 2: No, you said that because of the score. We're saying, oh yeah, yeah, yeah you did. You had them winning thirty one seventeen yeah, something like that. Yeah, so all three of you guys, you guys should leave the room. No, don't go, don't go till your end of the show. Yeah, no, it was tough.
Speaker 4: What do you think is gonna happen with Colorado? I don't know, but I'm excited for that game.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I don't. I don't.
Speaker 4: It's too long hollowing it now. We are not stopping Travis Hunner. I'm calling it. Possibly I picked them. That was my only win this weekend. I was horrible this weekend, but that was my only win. They have the same issues as they got we got ready to go or we got one minute? Oh okay, good, good, No, thanks for the conversation, guys. I uh, it's too early for me to say. But uh, but they're they're Arizona kind.
Speaker 6: Of the star players.
Speaker 3: But the coach, do you know anything about him being a good coach.
Speaker 4: I don't want to say he's a good coach because the same things that are happening last year are having this year.
Speaker 3: You know, you had the whole sea.
Speaker 6: I think they gave him one year of grace to this year. They still have the same.
Speaker 2: Issues and he'll be here next year after the guys leave. But no, no, yeah, I think the jury is still out and he has people.
Speaker 3: At least the hype machine is down.
Speaker 6: And think about next year one Trevis yea too?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah. Now now what's well? The Florida state job's open.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's gonna be open.
Speaker 2: No, it'd be for you know why you expose yourself to Yeah. Okay, are we good? Okay? Thanks guys, thanks for hanging in there with us, the people who stayed with us this afternoon. We'll see you guys tomorrow. Maybe j will be around.
Speaker 3: We'll have uh uh Ryan with us and we'll talk to you tomorrow. Thanks,