Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to another exciting issue Issue episode. Excuse me of JavaScript jabber. I am Steve Edwards, the host with the face for radio and the voice for being in mind. But I'm still your host, mostly because nobody else doesn't want to do it and Chuck's not here. But with me on the panel today we have mister aj o'neo. How you come in, aj or? How you doing? Excuse me eo yo yo.
Speaker 2: I'm coming at you live from a very wonderful day. It would seem not too hot, not too cold, good times here in the shed uneventful.
Speaker 1: That's nice, right, Yeah, I'm coming from a it much cooler Portland. It's like Paul just hit wham all of a sudden this week and it's not even the twenty first, which really bugs is not out of me. I prefer my long, nice summers with warmth, but that's okay. And our special guests mister Toma Sulkowski, how you doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Hi, Hi guys, Hello everyone, I'm good and come at you from also nice, sly weathered Poland. It's it's evening here, but I am like super hyped and ready to.
Speaker 1: Def with you. Right, So, how warm is it there. We always have to talk about warmth because Dan's always complaining about how hot it is and Tel Aviv, but he's not here to do that today.
Speaker 4: So let me just turn on my unit's converter. So it's sixty.
Speaker 1: Four of your okay, warmth, they're about twenty fifteen celsius.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, eighteen to twenty.
Speaker 1: Damn, getting good at that. Okay, nice? Right, Okay, So now that we've established weather patterns in our appropriate vicinities, let's talk about what we're going to talk about, which is interactive coding tutorials and a little bit of that. Let to talk from here about these tutorials and making good tutorials.
Speaker 3: Right, Hopefully.
Speaker 4: The thing is that it's it's up to the tutorials creator then, so, but we try to take care of the all the obstacles before creating the actual tutorials. So yeah, so I guess we can start with the like just tutorial part because I think this has been on the programming scene for like forever pretty much. It's actually there's like this one cool uh, talk about four quadrons of documentation and how to guides walk through the like reference like API reference and tutorials, right, so it's nothing new on one hand.
Speaker 3: On the second hand, we have the.
Speaker 4: Interactive part, which I think like that's that's the exciting thing that since existed several years ago.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, so tutorials can't This is the starting point. If anybody wants to to go look at this while we're talking, I'll put the link there here on the screen. So give us the rundown on what it is, what it's built on, you know, the tech stack, and then how to use it.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 4: So I think that the best introduction to this, to the what it is and what it can do, is kind of a little bit of history, and it starts with.
Speaker 3: The school dude call rich Carries. I don't know if you know him.
Speaker 1: Yes, we just talked to him. With the past month, I think doctor Richards swell kid. I think it's five actually five coming out, So yeah, we factor very recently.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 4: So Richie is a very great like communicator and educates about spells and spelled kids like really perfectly super inspiration. And and when they launched the Spelt initially they already had an interactive tutorial which Force felt, being like a front end library, it was doable let's say, so they built this.
Speaker 3: Spelt tutorial, and from the feedback from.
Speaker 4: The community, it seems like that was one of the big reasons why i Felt got so popular so quickly, and why it's so easy to get into spell because you can just cook up topic or a syntax element of Spelt and have an actual page with an exercise and explanation and everything. So this learning experience is really cool. But then, as you mentioned spelt Kit, when speltky Tamal came along, it was more tricky to make a tutorial like this in the browser, right So thankfully in the meantime, stag Bits where I come from, built web containers and web containers very short recap are like super small OS in a browser. So basically you have a file system, you have a kit integration, you can run node. Most importantly for us, and for the first couple of years it was working exclusively on stack liledz dot com, so it was only the engine for staggers outcome projects that you can launch with, not new or at the other stagg with starters.
Speaker 3: But when spelt kit was.
Speaker 4: Closing to be the one zero version, Rich wanted to have a tutorial for Spelt kit as well, so he reached out to us so we can create some kind of API to use web containers with tutorials.
Speaker 3: So that's how web Containers API came about.
Speaker 4: And so basically that was our design partner for creating web containers API and spelt Kit tutorial As you can see right now when you go to spelc tit tutorials, you see like putting web containers. That's how that's what what is built on behind the scenes and why the back end aspects of felt Kit work in the tutorial.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so real quick, I'll jump in and say that we talked to Eric Simon's from Stackplits about web containers in JavaScript Jabber episode four eight seven. So if you want to hear more about the web containers and how they work. The big issue is being able to run note in the browser basically from that's from gosh, that's three years ago, so juneated twenty twenty one was when that came out. So but link in the show notes and I'll put it here on the screen if you want to go back and listen to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just to add to that, like we're constantly working on low containers, so primarily on the note part because we are keeping up with the other releases. But since then we've also released an initial experimental version of Python support and PHP, and we can support.
Speaker 3: Ask light as well.
Speaker 4: So it's still work in progress, supporting more and more interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let me go back there. As a PHP developer, you said, you said you're basing with the web continuers. You can run PHP in the browser.
Speaker 4: Uh, but yes, it's it relies on the wasn't a version of PHP. So as long as something has wasn't binary available for the browser, we can hook it up to web containers.
Speaker 1: I had no idea. Very cool, it's cool, to be honest.
Speaker 3: It's like it's very early.
Speaker 4: So for example, one thing is supporting the language and the other is supporting the package.
Speaker 3: Manager for it.
Speaker 4: It has its own you know, you have to implement it usually because there is never a wasn't version of a package manager. So while you can, for example, run a Python, the PIP doesn't doesn't work yet until we have enough requests for it and then we'll start working with it. But yep, that's still you know, developing story.
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry to interrupt, but moving on all right.
Speaker 3: So after after felt kid tutorial.
Speaker 4: We had several other projects using web container API for other stuff like sometimes even like their own playgrounds, or there is an interesting project that allows you to, for example, check the the size and contents of a package by actually using web containers to download it in the browser and experiment on them and just look into what it downloaded. But also this in the last year, we've seen some new tutorials coming to lights, so I think the biggest one was Angular dot dev with Angular official documentation that released a new version of the documentation last year, and also they included an interactive tutorial that was a big part of this launch and very similar to what reached it with feld Kit. They built it with a container's API. And in the meantime, Anthony Fu that you might know, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, like tons of projects, right, he's a big view guy too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, so.
Speaker 4: He started working on a Next tutorial the same concept. If you look at it even now, if you look at feld Kit and Angular tutorial, it's a very similar structure visually, so Next is very similar as well as far as I know. He finished the like the engine part and now they're working on the content. So when we looked at it. Actually, you can watch Antony coding it because he released like the full he life coded most of it on YouTube. There's a whole playlist and you can see Anthony, who was like really great developer. Of course, it took him, I think, like several dozen days to do it, to build the engine, so it's it's definitely not an obvious type of app. So when we looked at what spelt kit and NAT and Angular team did.
Speaker 3: And realize that it's a very similar functionality, very similar structure, we realized that we should build a library for it. So kind of you can think of it like a storybook project, right when Storybook came along. Suddenly, like all component libraries are using Storybook to document their components, no matter if this is a React or view or Spelt or Angular, but.
Speaker 4: You have the same kind of features, the same layout, and this is now an available with tutorial kit basically. So yeah, you can start playing with it by just running NPM Create tutorial and you have tutorial in like twenty seconds flat.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, I'm looking at I'm just looking at the demos, So what's the We talked about web containers now before you mentioned Astro. So what are the different tools of the different layers in this in this kit.
Speaker 3: Okay, So when you look at.
Speaker 4: Any of these interactive tutorials, especially once built with tutorial Kit, now you will see content part and interactive parts. So usually on the left you have you have a description of a topic. You have an explanation and this is like a rich text, so like formated text. And on the right side you have the editor. You have the life preview that updates whenever user edits stuff. Even you have an interactive termino. That right interactive part is basically built with web containers.
Speaker 3: The editor uses.
Speaker 4: Cod Mirror, but we wanted to use something for the content part, for the descriptions, for the like different pages, something that is really fast and universally UH allowed by by developers so other developers can build on top of tutoral kit. So that's for the main content part we've picked Astro. So this is basically when you when you build or deploy a tutoral kid project, it's basically like depraying any other static Astro site. So it's it's a bunch of static pages with web containers sprinkle sprinkled down on top of it.
Speaker 1: All right. Just for those who might not be familiar with Astro, we've had We've had Fred shot on here. It's been a while, I think as Astro one or too when it came out. But Astro is basically this tool that seems to have taken the static site world by storm, and I've used it myself for a site. It's really pretty slick. The general idea of astro is that you can have a static site with pre built everything sort of rendered basically like your old school ATML, but you can throw islands of interactivity in there, whether to view components, react component, as felt component, and I know that since I used it last they've added a number of new features and capabilities to it, so it's it's definitely one of the more popular tools in that world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's super like extremely fast as well, and they constantly innovate on top of it as well.
Speaker 3: So we're using I think we might have been one.
Speaker 4: Of the first beer projects to use as collections on that scale. So the lessons are actually like the collections in Astro. But best to see it if you go to demo dottag, Demo dot tutoral kid dot debt.
Speaker 3: You can see how quickly it loads because.
Speaker 1: Again, yeah, I'm there right now. It gives you a little a way to go. So is this this is one that was built with it, and it's just walking you through when that was built with her. Right, It's not you're necessarily building editorial yourself.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, we were looking into that, but it was like too much of an inception if you wanted to build the tutorial instead of inside of tutorial, the space is quite.
Speaker 1: Limited for that. Okay, so this is just showing you. Okay, yeah, it's just doing some real basic stuff like adding styling forms, is what the teacher is.
Speaker 4: I created just a demo tutorial as the very first implementation, as I was also testing in the library.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, cool, So just excuse me. He mentioned some of the people that have used this, Can you point any or I don't know if you guys have any links on the side of ones that have been completed or any public instances have used this tool I.
Speaker 3: Have to look at. I think the one of the coolest one is by one.
Speaker 4: Of actually tutortal key developers as well, Ariy Perk, who you.
Speaker 3: Might know as a v test core team.
Speaker 4: One of the biggest main contributors. So he is currently also the primary maintainer of Astro and he built VAT.
Speaker 3: Plug intotoral. So if you wanted to.
Speaker 4: Build let me see if I can quickly find it. If you want to, I wanted to build a VIAT plug in, I don't know where to start. The tutorial will be great.
Speaker 1: Uh yes, see view Mastery has a course on it, but I don't think that's it.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, that's no, I don't think that's its.
Speaker 3: Oh. Actually you might go to a.
Speaker 4: Tutorial key repository which I will go on get up, Yes, and they're in the discussion part. We have several people sharing the tutorial. Oh okay, I think this is this is a nice one, so you will see if you're in the discussion part and go to our first turial using tw turtle kid and this one is the remote framework. So different thing that I've than what I've talked about, but I think this is the most extensive to troll we've seen so far. So you can see like several cool features like you have like in Sneepets of Cold on the documentary on the description side.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 4: Tons of actually like chapters and lessons. Yeah, definitely the biggest one that I've seen.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I've got to link up there as a banner right now so that you can you can see that. So okay, So if I want to use this, Let's say I want to build a tutorial. Mhm. This is something that's all hosted on stackplits, but you guys are the self hosted or how exactly does that work if I want to create.
Speaker 4: So so basically you have two steps if you want to create it, first is run NPM create tutorial and that's couples the projects like just like any other like NPM create stuff, a couple of questions mostly about like do you want gits?
Speaker 3: Do you want?
Speaker 4: Which package manager do you want in your like for the tooral kit project. And then because it's ultimately an astrocite, you can run NPM run build and that creates the static part and you can houst it anywhere netli five or so you name.
Speaker 1: It pages or something like that as well.
Speaker 4: I think kit caab pages has one gotcha at this point because it's a super technical thing. But that's a great question because for the web container part, you need to set specific head uh and GitHub pages.
Speaker 3: Don't allow you to set them.
Speaker 4: We're working on creating proxy for that so so you don't so you won't have to even think about it.
Speaker 3: But right now, it's.
Speaker 4: Only for the hostings that allow you to set custom headers for your.
Speaker 3: For your site, so.
Speaker 4: Like cloud Flower, yeah, nexty five or so, all the all the common ones.
Speaker 1: Okay, So obviously since you work for stack stackls, you can also create this on stack lits as it. Yeah, yeah, recommend recommends any in the instructions installation instructions.
Speaker 4: Yes, additionally, so right now one I like to do it actually locally for for most cases because we also have a very cool extension that works on vs code, and we only support vs code in a very experimental version of our editor so far.
Speaker 3: So if you want to build a.
Speaker 4: Tutorial tutor kit project, I would highly recommend you to use that extension because it allows you to traverse the project very quickly. It allows you to create new lessons by just you know, right mouse click click new lesson and you don't have to create manually like the fold the structure and it. There are probably like twenty different settings you can use to customize each lesson. So because it's in an marked down or DX file, you set them up in front matter, so the extension supports intelligence for.
Speaker 3: That front matter.
Speaker 4: Actually, so if you want to you know, configure the lesson, you can with the extension.
Speaker 3: It will you know, do the things that normally only be.
Speaker 4: Possible with like typescript or something with you know, out the complete warning about the wrong types and things like that. So yeah, honestly, we're not pushing stag Blitz very hard on this. I think the biggest value we have here or that we want to provide, is that when you have tutorial Kit project, every demo that you have, every project that runs on each lesson has an open in stack Blitz button which creates that lesson. So if you if you go to any of these lessons, for example on the remote tutorial on the top right, you'll see like the stackles bolt yes and it will yeah, and it will create that in stack. It's opened that specific exercise in Staglish, which is really cool because it's while a lesson creator might want to for you to go from like point A to point B within each exercise, you might actually really like this code base and want to explore it further, maybe save it for later. So in that case, you just openxtagelets and make it a stagltz project and you can just build or build as any typicult STABLETS playground.
Speaker 1: So now, yeah, so I'm just walking through the instructions and it's it's sort of like nuxt in terms of you're using file based routing in need them for the display of titles and where are your different files go and so yeah, there's a pretty strict it's pretty opinionated, right, and how it has to work and need Yeah, very which makes sense, right, You don't want to have to guess where everybody's put in their code they run a tutorial.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we do have a lot of customization, but mostly on the specific lesson level.
Speaker 3: So do you want a terminal.
Speaker 4: Even like what kind of commands do you allow your user to run the terminal so they don't you know, go into some like crazy states if they run like anything with a container that could be.
Speaker 3: Detrimental to the learning experience.
Speaker 4: But yeah, the file if file structure is that.
Speaker 3: So you put everything in the content.
Speaker 4: Then you have tutoral parts to have several parts, and the tutorial parts you have a chapter and then a lesson, and then in each lesson you have a mark down file that describes the the lesson that has a lesson description, and then the files folder which includes the app that needs to run as that demo at that interactive part of a lesson. So that's like very basic structure, but as when you start building with it very soon, it would because that lesson needs to be the files for a lesson need to be an.
Speaker 3: Actual working project.
Speaker 4: It needs to be something that you could run locally by running NPM install and PM run start. Right, So if you imagine creating all that for each lesson and you have like, you know, thirty lessons, you'd have like thirty copies of the same project with maybe you know, slide change in two or three files.
Speaker 3: So we've also accounted for that.
Speaker 4: And you can also utilize ten plates folder where you put your general structure of that code based that you demo. So, for example, if you want to do let's say it's it's a VAT project that you want to build upon, so you can generate a VAT code based basic beat cond base in the tutortal kits template folder, and then for each lesson you can only define the files that are in the source folder for your demo app.
Speaker 3: So it's not that much you know, repeatable code.
Speaker 1: Okay. So one thing we talked a little bit earlier about the back ends that are supported. So how extensive can this be in terms of front and only versus full stack versus whatever you mentioned siquo light right, obviously you can run node as a back end PHP is if E Is that what I'm understanding?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wouldn't. I wouldn't probably for early early days.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't try it yet with know, with with tools set outside of now ecosystem.
Speaker 3: But now itself is pretty well supported.
Speaker 4: Basically to try it before you like, get invested and install and scuffle the project. If it works on stags dot com, it will also be compatible with the kit. But I've seen already people, I've seen a tutorial on one of our rms using eske Light and at least one next day es tutorial. So that's kind of the area that we cover.
Speaker 1: Okay. So so I like to work primarily in la vel view with you know, sometimes with inertia, depending on you know, depending on the project. It sounds like that might be a bit much at this point, just because they're PHP based.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, until we can support you know, composer and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: It's not Yeah, okay, so you could do obviously nuts is using it, right, so you could do nucks since that's node based. Uh any front and what about and I haven't again, I haven't played with stackplts since Eric came on three years ago. If you want to do something that involves an external API, you know, if you want to use contentful, you know for example or some of the other ones. There's one I used to use that completely I can't remember now, but something like that. Can you do that where you would have to set up an external API and and and connect with that in your in your tutorial or is that side the scope?
Speaker 3: It should work. I think the.
Speaker 4: Challenges are on the you know, on the edges of that. So for example, in practice, if this is an API that you need like to set private keys for, we don't support these kinds of things like storing the environment variables and.
Speaker 3: Things like that. But besides that, I think that should work.
Speaker 4: It's just you know, in practice, there would be probably problems with with rate limiting these if you don't if you can't use like tokens and things.
Speaker 1: Like that, right, But.
Speaker 3: Besides that, Yeah, does this should work.
Speaker 4: Also, it works in a very's say, hardcore scenarios if you want if you have like private package Manager, or if you if you want to run it behind the firewall behind behind you like corporate a VPNs that's also supported.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, I would. I guess if you if you were doing something that involved data with maybe you could just include it with like a Jason file. It has your data and sort of market and a PI type of thing, if that's what you're worried about, Because this is obviously why you vat no plugins bits. This is going to be more of a display. You know, you can these typutorials for how you're just playing stuff on the screen and not necessarily data data pullings are. I'm more of a back end guy than then that, So that's where my brain goes.
Speaker 4: I think that that's how I would probably do it. Also, it's because it's Astro project. You can do everything that Astro can, so even you can add separate pages for to the that are not in that tutorial UI, and you can also like like you said, like host Jason files for specific lessons and things like that. So that's probably I think optimal if you want especially like a lot of people hitting that API end point.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now where is this? So I haven't looked where is this in terms of releases? Oh, you're still in so you're pre one point oh. It looks like your point two point three as of the latest release.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there is a Yeah, we are still pre a bit shy to release the one point oh version.
Speaker 1: But it's always the scary thing to decide when is when is it good enough to release one point oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I remember when when we react with like pre one point oh for like several years, right, and then.
Speaker 3: They jumped to fourteen.
Speaker 4: Anyway, we have we do have a road maup to one point and it's not that crazy actually, so I think we'll be hitting it in a couple of months.
Speaker 3: But we're also.
Speaker 4: Super careful about those breaking changes for that we're making right now, and I think the only ones we've made really were pretty sweet because they like removed a lot of boil uplet in several places.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so yeah, I could see in the in the uh GitHub repo, Uh there is a broadnap to one point zero issue. Yeah, she went point four. So I just put the link in there so that if I guess if you want to follow the development and see how close they're getting to a one point, Oh, this is what you can subscribe to exactly.
Speaker 4: And for when we talk about this, like a huge shout out to Ari who is leading the open source aspect of it, superresponsive in all the issues. So yeah, he's doing great job on on making it a truly visible open source project.
Speaker 1: So going back to editors, you mentioned that you have the vs code extension. So if I used something like one of the jet Brain's IDEs, you know, WebStorm, php Storm, if I'm doing there, I'm probably not going to have all of the interactivity that I would in vs code with the extension.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the extension really so when you when you create the lesson, you need to create a folder and you need to create the file, at least the content MD file. So the annoying part when you do it by hand is that copying that same structure, you'd have to like have the you know, like empty folder with not empty folder, but like a placeholder for template.
Speaker 3: Folder let's call it like this with a file.
Speaker 4: When that you create that you copy every time you want to create a lesson, I think in the web Storm and things like that you should be able to create some kind of templates to help with that element.
Speaker 3: I think the biggest drawback or.
Speaker 4: Thing that you don't get with the extension when not using extection is that intelligence, because like so in practice you'll have to see.
Speaker 3: Our documentation a bit more. But also.
Speaker 4: I think in reality, once you create like your second or third lesson, you have the settings usually dialed in so you don't have to touch them that much, So that shouldn't be that annoying. Let's say, I think the extension really helps initially, plus that thing with creating, with having a template for the for the lesson. Oh one thing to say about the settings, I think it's why it's also helpful and not that annoying not to have this intelligence is that, for example, one thing that you might want to set is default file that a student can see in the editor. Let's say that you have like a source folder displayed and like five files index HTML, index CSS in the app view and something like this, and you want in basically every lesson in the chapter to always focus on the up dot view file. In that case, you can set this on every lesson in every lesson in its content MP defile or you can set it on the chapter level just once and it's inherited for every lesson. So this way, if this is really read repeatable logic, you just set it once and it's just you know, applied to a whole part of the tutorial or even on the whole tutorial.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that's nice and not having to repeat the boiler plate all the time something that Deth can appreciate. I'm sure. All right, anything else about this tool that we haven't covered yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I think the main point is that this is an open source and so that comes like both ways. If you have any questions or requests, visit our issues, but if you also want to contribute, we have some good first issues, or you can come up with your own issue and contribute to it.
Speaker 3: Well. As I said, we're very open for that. And yeah, I think I think this will be a very cool thing that will.
Speaker 4: Become i wouldn't say a standard, but something to expect from every bigger library, so that you can have you know, you can either read the Dogs, the more static version of the Dogs, or go through the tutorial without having even to install anything. And one thing also I've seen this, I think it's also a kind of like a forcing element. When you build a through like that, you end up with tons of instantly available demos. So as a devl or developer advocate, having that kind of tutorial always online, it's very cool to be able to just go there and you know, live demo this part of dark part of the framework, because you have everything already set up. So I think it's useful both for people who go and just want to taste drive a library or framework and for the more advanced people who are just you know, constantly returning to the same thing to experiment with a concept.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm looking through the issues list right now. There's as of today, there's thirty eight open, and you can see some of the different tags that they've created. As you mentioned, there's one tag that's a good first issue, so one of those little simple things that would be good for somebody who wants to dive in and tackle something easy and get a win. And then there's bugs. I like the pr welcome one.
Speaker 3: Is it for the bug.
Speaker 1: There's one that there's one that is bug good first issue p are welcome.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I can see unders notable, but noticed that most of the issues are actually.
Speaker 3: Feature requests or enhancements.
Speaker 4: Enhancements, right, Yeah, so it's it's pretty.
Speaker 1: Staple one window specific one that I'm seeing help wanted on one of them. So yeah, there's a looks like there's plenty of options and opportunities to jump in and get involved with. This is something you want to be involved with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the eldest.
Speaker 4: Also, the activities pretty much from the last month, right, so it's it's quite active.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. Aj, you got any questions or anything, just listening this time? Wow, that's uh, that's really weird. We'll just leave that at that. So that's not.
Speaker 2: The only time. You may have been on other times, but sometimes it's just somebody else's domain.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, it's like me when we're talking about go or rest or something like that.
Speaker 3: For you.
Speaker 1: Okay, unless you got anything else to we'll move on to picks. Anything else you want to cover, I'm good, all right, So picks for the part of the show where we get to talk about anything we want to talk about within reason of course that's approved by the FCC. Could be tech, could be non tech, could be a book, a movie. Check always does games because he's a big board game kind of guy. I will start off with the the dad jokes of the week. This is always the high point of any episode that I'm on. So let me get set up here real quick. Got to get my drum player in place here, So okay. So question what was Why was root beer the best drink on the Titanic? Because root beer floats? Right? Obviously they didn't have enough root beer because it didn't float. You know, cut so too soon. It's only been one hundred and twelve years, You're right, got to wait till at least two hundred.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Cosmetic surgery used to be such a taboo subject, but now you talk about botox and nobody raises an eyebrow. Oh yeah?
Speaker 2: And then please, please, please don't. No one has ever said, look at that person's botox. Don't they look amazing? No one's ever said.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah, it's it's definitely not moving, shall we say? And then finally, how does Burger introduce his significant other? Does meet Patty? And then I, actually, I do have another pick, and this fits in with the dad jokes of the week. Uh Babylon Bee had a really great uh post or article and the title of it is uh Dad jokes panned by critics, and it's basically a story about how dad's telling his dad joke and his kids are like, uh yeah, really sort of like my house, you know. I'll give you a couple of lines from it. In a scathing seven hundred and fifty word review, fellow dad joke critic Eric and Matthews, aged ten, pointed, I thought while the joke was technically funny, it was just a repackaged version of a joke told previously. Right. Asked how he was taking the negative reviews, Phil appeared to shrug get offices. Hey, that's just showbiz. At publishing time, the critics had retracted their statements after being offered ice cream for dessert Sonday put the link for their in the notes. But I was very appreciative of that one, since it one of those kinds. It's like somebody was living with me at home, you know. And I'll put it for a banner here, just for everybody to see. Those are my picks for the week. AJ, What do you got for us?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, last week, if you remember, I complained that I was coming at you live from a busted solenoid, and so I'm going to pick Rocky Mountain ATV because they had the part that I needed for my ONTO four tracks and turned out that I haven't actually installed it yet because what the immediate solution was whack the existing one with a wrench. I don't know how that didn't fix itself when I was going over the hills.
Speaker 1: That's almost like duct tape, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But anyway, Rocky Mountain ATV. If you're in Utah, it's a no brainer. Well, I mean, I guess unless you're four hours away from them, but and anywhere else in the country, I don't know. They're just they're a good company. I like them. So if you got if you got toys, then check out Rocky Mountain ATV. It's actually Rocky Mountain ATV MC. I sometimes forget the MC because I'm not as much into the dirt bikes.
Speaker 1: But oh, motorcycle. I thought it was Master of Ceremonies or something.
Speaker 2: Okay, Motocross ATV.
Speaker 1: Motocross, right, that would make sense.
Speaker 2: Next thing I want to pick is I there's a repo that I've created called PG Essentials And let me actually throw these links and as I'm talking about them here in the comments, and it has Postgress scripts, both for setting up postgress and for using postgress. And the key thing about it is that it has a script to create a remote group and to create users in that remote group, which basically that's what Heroku does, right, Like Heroku just creates a remote group, creates users in the remote group, and you get access to the database. And it's something that's built into postgress. You don't have to have any fancy API stuff on top of it. So for the the rare folks that need to have tenanted postgress, these scripts may not do exactly what you need to do. They do exactly what I need to do, but they'll definitely give you a head start in terms of well, I don't know, maybe nowadays with GPT, maybe you could just add GPT and maybe it's spit out the config without a problem. I don't know. But it took me at the time that I first set it up, and I was reviewing them recently for another project. But at the time I first set them up, you know, it took It's not just several hours, it's a few years. In terms of like I learned a little bit, then I learned a little bit later, and I kind of added some stuff to some scripts, and I finally published it as a repo because I've just been sitting. It's like, every time I need the script, I go copy it from the machine that has it, and that, of course is not a winning strategy. So that and then two more quick things. I think SSH now has an include directive. Apparently this happened a few years ago, but then you know there's lag time on app get and you know everything else. But now your operating system should have an include directive. So now you can have in your SSH canfig and include tilda, slash dot, SSH, slash configure, dot d slash star, which is something that I have wanted for a long time because, especially doing lots of client work, I want to be able to segment off. Okay, these directives are for this client systems. These directives are for this client systems, et cetera. And just trying to organize things all in a single file has been painful and I'm so glad that now include exists and is widely deployed. Again, it's kind of old news, but it's new in the sense that you probably haven't been using it, and if you did know about it as one of the first ones to know about it. Unless you were on open BSD, it was probably another two or three years before your operating system supported it, and you may not have found out in that time. And then last thing is deep Seek coder V two. This is a mixture of experts model, so similar to one that performs in benchmarks slightly better or slightly worse than GPT four. Oh so if you want to go grab olama and try that out. They have a nice one hundred and thirty one gigabyte model which I have not been able to try yet. I have to. I tried to run it on my Mac. It turns out I think the whole thing has to fit in memory. I only have sixty four gigs of RAM, so I'm going to try it on my server that has two hundred and fifty six gigs of RAM but no GPUs, so we'll see how that works out. But they also have one that I did try out that's just a normal like eight gigabyte model for mere mortals and no conclusion on how great it is or isn't. But I hadn't heard of it before. I just heard about it, so I thought I'd spread the wealth. And then of course, if you want to install Olama quick and easy on Windows, Mac and Linux, there's the webby link for installing a.
Speaker 4: Lama all right, And I have three pigs actually, so one is component dash Party dot dev, which is a really cool website that shows you basically each of the basic concept of every view UI library, nono men like view reacts, felt, lead embers, solid Alpine and things like that, and it just like, Okay, I know how to do it in Angular, I know this concept.
Speaker 3: How do you do it?
Speaker 4: And spelled again, and you just you have this super quick reference. You can just you know, select each framework that you're interested in, and it shows you like how you do styling, how you do slots and things like that.
Speaker 2: So have a reference for JavaScript as well, or is it only for frameworks?
Speaker 4: Well, in the end, it's it's all JavaScript. No, No, it's it's only for frameworks.
Speaker 2: I know that's too bad, considering we have template literals and domb events and no.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, but I think it exists. I think it's almostly about like the component the ideas around components specifically, so like life cycle and so maybe you like web components could be there in that sense, But.
Speaker 2: I want you still have a life cycle of JavaScript. Like all the things that the modern frameworks do have been built into the browser at this point, I don't know if there's anything left outstanding except for include HTML, which if you want to go join that debate on the Standards Committee, please do because they are convinced that this is not a problem.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, I okay, I might, I might just join the debate. I'll give you all right. Cool.
Speaker 4: The second one, the second pick is econez if you can spell. I don't know how to actually pronounce it, but it's I c O and ees dot js dot org. It's a project by again Anthony fuh that allows you to browse like dozens on dozens of just icon libraries and just with a single single click copy it as a s VG snippet or view components or whatever you wish, or even a pay G file. So it's a website by I have it installed as.
Speaker 5: A p w A app, so it's quickly, you know, on hand, I think it literally it probably says somewhere, but it's I think it might have just millions of icons.
Speaker 3: So really cool.
Speaker 4: When you you know producte something or you need an illustration for your presentation things like that. And speaking of presentations, the third pick will be vtcon dot org. It's a conference that Stagnates organizes with a vat car team every year. This year it comes to you at October third and fourth. It's an interesting formula because while all talks, all talks are pre recorded and then run one day and then immediately run again for the the other time zones, so everyone can tune in and watch it. And what's cool is that because all speakers already delivered the talks, they oftentimes visit the chat and actually talk with people who are watching the talks in real time. So it's pretty much more collaborative even than a offline conference. So it's free as well. So we already have I think almost thirty k people registered, so it.
Speaker 3: Would be huge. There'll be a lot of interesting.
Speaker 4: Announcements and knowledge sharing around JavaScript, like custom in general, because almost everything now is built on.
Speaker 3: Wheat from stack Blitz.
Speaker 4: We will have a huge announcement as well, so yeah, you can be first to hear it on October third.
Speaker 1: You've heard it here first huge announcement from stack at bitcom. True, all right, is that all your picks yep.
Speaker 2: I dropped the link for the component party and the comments. If you want to drop any of the others, please do so.
Speaker 3: All right, okay, thanks?
Speaker 1: Alrighty, So, before we go to a mac, if people want to follow shagplits, involue and everything we've talked about today, where are the best places to do that? Yeah?
Speaker 4: At s Taglitz on Twitter is quite active. I'm actually the person that mostly posts there. I like to besides just you know, spreading stagnag features and announcing Taglitz announcements, I do share a lot of tips around specific techniques like general CSS stuff, browser features and things like that. So at Taglitz on Twitter and at so co s l CEO that's my personal Twitter accounts, so you can connect with me there as well.
Speaker 1: Alrighty well, thank you for coming on to meech and talking about how to make better tutorials. It's something I could use myself with that. We will wrap all this up. If you want to get at least five dad jokes a week, you can follow me at Wonder nine to five on Twitter. A j Are you still cool? Aja eighty six? I was tracking your Twitter handles, you know that.
Speaker 2: And it's good. It's good because no one needs to follow me, but if you want to follow me for my non spicy takes, meaning stuff that's focused on things that are more professional, underscore beyond.
Speaker 1: Code, that would be beyond code.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if you wanna, if you want to hear lots of things that you don't want to hear and be offended. Cool Aja six Yeah, poor, poor choice of name. It was. It was for when before I was jaded, back when I was laid back and chilled.
Speaker 1: All right, alrighty, So with that we will wrap up this episode of JavaScript Jabber. Thanks everybody ready for listening, slash watching, slash paying attention, and we'll talk to you next time.