Speaker 1: I woke up this morning and I didn't know where I was. You ever do that, Like you're on vacation. You wake up at a hotel and you're like, I'm at home, and then you look around You're like, huh, I'm not at home.
Speaker 2: I think for me, the most recent thing is if I go out in the camper van, I will wake up in the middle of the night and I'll be very confused because I'm like, this doesn't feel like my bed, and then I will look and I'm in a box of a van. Yeah, oh that's right, I'm in the camper van.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I In the last month, I've slept in the camper van in my bed. Yeah, you're right, in Jenny's camper van, in the RV in Colorado, in my bed. And I woke up this morning. I truly I had to sit there for a minute and think about where am I and I looked around and it took a while to even register where I was. So okay, So you're not the only one that does that. I'm not the only one that does that. Let's get into the emails on the Minnesota Goodbye. Here's a trick I learned just now. Thank God, Jenny was here because our emails come in and sometimes they're in a very small font and I'm like, I can't read this. So what I usually do is I copy and paste it into a word document then blow it up. Jenny taught me a keyboard shortcut.
Speaker 2: Hey, you just said control and the plus sign and it'll zoom in for you.
Speaker 1: What the fuck control and plus sign.
Speaker 2: That's probably one of the keyboard shortcuts I use a lot. I also use command tab. It'll change between tabs, but only if they're different things. So for instance, if I'm in a word document but I'm looking at an article on the Internet, I can switch between the two of them super easily. But if I'm going from word document to word document, that doesn't work. It'll only go between different kinds of tab. No.
Speaker 1: True, And I use alt tab. Is that what you meant?
Speaker 2: That's mine's command on a I have a Mac, so I think it's probably different on like what your computer is. But yes, alt tab also.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I learned that in the computer class probably twenty five years ago. Alt tab because I was taking like a publishing class on how to like do desktop publishing back when people would do like newspapers and things like that, and so I took a publishing class and I was like, all tab oh dang, yeah that's cool. But control plus allows me to read this email from Kurt and he says, I'm not written in before as I just started listening to the Minnesota Goodbye even though I've been listening to KTWGB for years. I feel like I might be soulmates with Juananita because I have a rant I love the podcast been listening to them in reverse order because that's how they are playing on the iHeartRadio app. I'm sure I could change it if I care, but I'll just listen to how they come up until I get to the end. Here's my rant. I do love the iHeart app. Don't get me wrong. However, I played podcasts from my phone to my stereo. I'm older and I refuse to get rid of my records tape CDs because I still listen to them, and I also have a fancy stereo that plays them and also has Bluetooth. My complaint is this, what the fuck is with the change in audio between the show and the commercials. Here, I am working my way, working away, laughing along with Dave, Jenny Bailey and if I don't hear that, will do it for today and immediately turn the volume way down. The next thing I know, Ryan Seacrest is fucking screaming in my ear about some casino game, or I get blasted by a commercial for some other podcast that's being advertised. I've nearly jumped clear out of my fucking chair because it's such a huge change in volume it scares the shit out of me. Is like turning the volume from a calm Dave Ryan on five to a screaming, fucking ad blasting at five hundred at an outdoor music fest with a stack of damn speakers. Get your shit together, iHeart. It won't stop me from listening, but it may shave about twenty five years off my life every time. It scares the shit out of me, and I'll be deaf in my ear that faces the speaker. Love you, guys, and keep up the fun in hilarious antics until next time, Kurt Kurt, thanks for the feedback. I don't know why it does that. I wasn't aware that it did that, but I will say that there's still some glitches in the iHeart app.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean in Iheart's defense. We're not the only ones who do that. I think any kind of streaming platform you listen to a lot of times the commercials are higher volume. Maybe Ihearts is a little bit more aggressive. Yeah, but I mean I started watching the show. Is it called the Four Seasons?
Speaker 1: Is that what the four Seasons? Did you start watching it? I did start watching We're coming back to.
Speaker 2: That, yeah, So, and I last night my ears were blasted anytime music played, and I had to grab the remote so quickly to turn the music down because it was like such a difference in between them just talking and the music playing. And so I feel like it's just some kind of issue that we all have and we've got to figure out levels, is what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I think that things come from different sources, and what might be there's you know, there's we call them vu meters, and they are basically they they look like a meter like you know, it bounces back and forth and it's supposed to peak at the red zone. And so if it peaks at the red zone in here, that is kind of like a unit of measure on this piece of equipment. But it might be a different piece of a different measure of volume on another piece of equipment. So that's why Seacrest might be a ten or you know, peaking correctly on his equipment but not on ours. I don't know if that makes any sense. Yeah, his apples and Orange is kind of But I still love the iHeartRadio app and I actually use it, not just because we're supposed to, but because I actually like the iHeart Radio app. Next one, I like this one. It says hello from Marie day are Marie Daisy. I've been thinking about some past bits that I really don't hear anymore. I will always miss Dave and Steve slow jams and would nearly pee myself listening to the songs Dave made up during country song or not. We'll bring that back next week. We haven't done that in a while. No, I do miss the hr bit too. Haven't heard that one in a while. Well, we, you know, like anything, we drive it into the ground till it's not funny anymore. But we still do the hr bit once in a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then we drive it into the ground for like a week, and then we forget about it for three months.
Speaker 1: I still love that bit that came to me when it came really organically because we were sitting here in the studio one day, five is years ago, and Fallon said you're fat, and I said, you know what, Because Fallon and I would give each other shit, like merciless shit like that. I'd be like, you are ugly and you get a mole in your forehead. She's like, oh, yeah, well you're a fat fuck, and I'd be like, you know, I'm calling HR, and so off the air, I said, d d do do doue? Hello. Yeah, Fallon called me a fat fuck, and then I said, oh, you are a fat fuck, and we all laughed because HR would never say that back to you. So we turn it into a bit anyway. She says, what are some favorite bit you guys have done throughout the years, whether it's a long standing bit or a one hit wonder of sorts. I would say one of my favorites that we don't do anymore was Steve teaches your kids the meaning of the word no. And this guy put together a big long intro for it, yep, and he sang to it and then he'd be like, hey, okay, you want to win Taylor Swift tickets, Call me right now. You want to win Taylor Swift tickets. Call me Hello, who's this. It's Maddie. Hi, Maddie. How old are you? I'm eleven? Great, Maddie. Do you want to go see Taylor Swift? Yeah? You dude, do you want to go see her? Are you really bad?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then you'd draw it out for a while. Maddie would be like yeah, and he'd be like, well, the answer is no. No, Maddie, you don't get to go see Taylor Swift. You don't get to have everything you want. The answer is no. I know that's a word you've never heard before, but no. And it was very funny and very awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we had to stop doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you got in trouble because somebody told their mom. Their mom called all the way to the top of the food chain, a guy named Bob Pittman, who is our big boss, and and Bob Pittman's like, I don't got time for this shit, which he doesn't. He's a great He's fucking genius, is what he is. And so Bob Pittman said, you give that girl Taylor Swift tickets, and so we did and we can never do that bit again.
Speaker 2: So you were I think in a meeting or I think you were in a meeting when we did the Minnesota Goodbye Without You this past week one time, and someone emailed then and said she was trying to win Taylor Swift tickets. And it was during the STEVEO teaches your kids the meaning of No. So she was listening in one room and her mom was listening in in another, and so she was like trying to call in and dial in whatever, and her mom runs into the room and grabs her phone and says, no, you're not doing it because she knew what the bitch was.
Speaker 1: She got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, took it away from her to, you know, stop her from the heartbreak that Steve would have given her if she wouldn't have kept dialing.
Speaker 1: She said, it was so funny. I can't believe that somebody called about that. It was so funny, but it was also it was cruel and whenever would you know because it was a little kid and it was very funny, but then people would complain and say, that's so mean, you broke that little girl's heart. Whatever. Some of the other favorite pits that we've done. I love doing the parody songs and I haven't done a parody song in years now, and I don't know why, I really, I mean seriously, one of my favorite bits that I did was the Hollister song, and I was just really proud of that because it got back when we used to keep track of every It got over a thousand requests in a day one time. We just have a little tally board in here like that, you know that people would call in back before Spotify and that type of thing. Kids would come home from school and they would turn on the radio while they did their homework and they called. Like one day when it was new, we got over a thousand requests for the freaking Hollister song. Yeah, and I'm really proud of that one. Any bits that.
Speaker 2: You remember, So when it was you Stephen Fallen on the show and I was way more behind the scenes at the time. I remember sitting in my studio because for when you do phone Rodeo, we would always have to record it off air because you never knew if people were going to answer the phone whatever. But phone Rodeo, I remember, would be a good one. If I was in my studio and I could look over and you and Fallon were like covering your mouths trying not to laugh as you was calling and his person to joke and stuff, and so Phone Rodeo was always a hit or a miss usually, but when it was a hit, it was so fucking funny in my eyes.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: I loved the charity CD bit that you and Fallon did for Ducks Unlimited.
Speaker 1: You guys, so I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: Would pretend like they missed a meeting because they were working on a charity CD, and then they just improv something off the top of their heads. Then seconds and then you try to like sync up saying the same words, which was.
Speaker 1: A bit we stole from Saturday Night Live, but we absolutely made it work for years. That was funny. I forgot about that bit.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's so many like I think this person said slow jams too. I loved slow jams also with you and Steve, and we did have Steve in on. I think it was Valentine's Day this year, right, Yeah, I had to do some slow jams. So there's so many I could probably think of. I just like we don't have all day.
Speaker 1: So I love that. You know what, let us know if there was a favorite bit that you loved on the show, and maybe we still do it, and maybe we don't. I mean, there's a lot of bits that we've discovered that we still do recurringly, like favorite musical moments. We love that one. Yeah, we still do the HR bit here and there. I think next week we're going to bring back country song or not, So we'll do that next time week. Next one from Chris Chris Sayrs random thought, but being you can swear and basically say or talk about anything on the Minnesota Goodbye. Do you guys ever get nervous that it's being played on the radio while recording or all that? Correct? Buttons are pushed? Also, is it hard to censor yourself from swearing on the radio? Then during a repeat or break during the Minnesota Goodbye? So that's Chris in Northfield, Minnesota. I would say I always try to check it. It's a pretty easy check to see whether the microphones are on because they light up red when they're on, yeah, and when they're off. Right now, they're technically on, but they're not on the air, So it's a pretty easy check. But it's always, you know, worth looking down to see whether the microphones are on.
Speaker 2: I think there are moments if if you're not here and I'm the one reading emails and stuff and running the board, I do get stressed swearing during the Minnesota Goodbye, just for the off chance that I screwed something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I like you.
Speaker 2: Usually don't think I try to swear if I'm the one who's in controllable.
Speaker 1: Day, gotcha. As far as on the air, no, I mean we've conditioned ourselves to just not swear out of the air. I mean I think when I swear most of the time, it's like with forethought. It's like I know I'm gonna say fucking hot outside, so I know it's coming and I can prepare myself for it. But I also I can say it's freaking hot outside, or just it's hot outside, because you know, doing this for so long, you'd definitely get It's kind of like being around your grandparents or being around your If you have your pastor over for dinner. Let's say pastor Catherine comes over for dinner, Well, she probably swear. She seems like she's pretty cool, so she probably like, damn, it's fucking hot outside, Jesus Christ. So it's not that hard to do. But thanks for asking, Chris, good question.
Speaker 2: I do have one story. You were on vacation, Dave, but I said a bum fuck nowhere on accident on air because I thought I had censored myself. And it was when Fallen was still here on the show on the air, on the air, because I was like, okay, well whatever I think. I was like Fallin was coming at me for something. So I was getting all hot headed and I was like, you know, at least I'm not in bum fuck. I thought I censored fuck, but I censored like the next one. And then Boun's eyes got huge, and I it didn't process in my head what happened, And I was like what And then I realized I said bum fuck and I had to hit the dump button.
Speaker 1: Oh that's funny. Yeah, we do it on the air and there's a delay, and there literally is a button. I'm not making this up. It sounds like it's out of a cartoon. There's a big red button the size of a fifty cent piece on the board that says dump. So if we accidentally swear or a listener gets on and swears, we just push the dump button and you don't panic. Jenny panics and just dives for it. And it's like, no, I feel like you don't.
Speaker 2: It doesn't register with you, and so I get stressed because your reaction's not as quick, and.
Speaker 1: I'm I know I take my time because i'd reach over. You got twenty seconds to push the dump buttons.
Speaker 2: See I didn't know that. I thought you had only a few seconds.
Speaker 1: It's like twenty seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good information.
Speaker 1: Yeah, next one. Lexi says, Hello friends, longtime listener, first time writer here. I've been wanting to email in for years and finally getting around to it. I've been listening to KATWB since I can remember, and now I'm glad you're listening to Minnesota Goodbye. I have memories of being in the car with my family as a kid, and my older brother and I would always fight over the stations. He wanted B ninety six and I wanted katble tob When I was in high school, I was always late for my first hour class on Thursdays because I had to catch the end of War of the Roses. I'd walk in. Everybody would say, who was cheating? Were they cheating? I love that story. I always try to stop by your booth in the State Fair, and I've been lucky enough to meet you guys once or twice. This past year, I had the pleasure of meeting Bailey and had such a nice chat with her. I can always remember also remember where I was when I first heard the dart Lick episode. Anyway, wanted to write in and say how much I enjoyed listening to your show and podcasts. I've been struggling a lot recently with anxiety and find myself so comforted when listening to your podcast. I so appreciate when you guys but up about your own struggles with mental health. It makes me feel better that I am not alone and some of my favorite radio DJs know what I'm going through. I'm sorry for the long email. I thought I would reach out and say how much I love listening to you guys and what an impact you've made in my life. Thank you, Thank you for all you guys do. Keep on keeping on dart Lick and A'll right from LEXI nice.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, and sorry for all your mental health struggles. I hope that we do give you a little bit of comfort because I know for me, specifically, just hearing anyone talk about it helps me.
Speaker 1: So I was dming with a woman named Tammy last night, and this is what Tammy said. And you know, I try to answer all of the dms that I get on Instagram. And she wrote it, and she said, Dave, I love your shirt. It was the woodstock and snoopy shirt as wearing the other day. She said, and I like your hair. It fits you. I don't like my hair anymore. We'll get back to that in a second. I think I look like the murderer from No Country for Old Men. So if you look up No Country for Old Men murderer, go look up No Country for Old Men murderer and see if I look like him. Anyway, she says, I like your hair. I said, thanks. I'm not sure what to do with the hair right now. She said, you would look awesome in any hairstyle. Your personality shines through. And thanks for being a bright light for me through all my trials and downtimes in my life. You and your team are amazing. I love you, And I said, well, thanks, She said, you bad again. Thanks for the humor that you spread around the city. I met you at the State Fair. You are anyway, she said, You're a legend. And I don't like to read that part, so sorry. To hear of your dog passing. I've had a lot of loss in the last year. My boyfriend died and I have two dogs. We're in an apartment, and just seeing your post makes me feel better, and listen to the show makes you feel better. So anyway, I think it goes back to sometimes you listen to the radio and offer something that no other media can deliver. I don't think you feel companionship or connection to a podcaster necessarily. Maybe you do, but I think because we're live and we're much more honest, I think than most DJs are. And so I think that when Josie died, one of the things that comforted me was so many people reaching out and saying, I've been there, I know exactly how you feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So when people hear us talk about, you know, mental health or struggles or you know whatever relationship problems, people go, oh, okay, yeah, this is very common and it makes you feel better. Next one, where do you listen to the Minnesota Goodbye? We asked last week? This is Sarah. She says, I listened to my office at home while I'm working. I usually listened to it right after the morning show. Can't get enough love you guys from Sarah. It's just fun to find out where you listen. I like that. Also, I'm going to give a shout out to Joe Gonzalez because Joe, it is his birthday today. He listens in Turlock, California. He's never been to Minnesota. I don't know how he found us, but he is a big supporter of the show and podcast. Shout out Joe Gonzalez. He is going to come to Minnesota this June just to see all the things that he's heard us talk about over the years, and I think that's so cool. So shout out Shoe. Next one. Hold on, I'm going to scroll down a little bit while.
Speaker 2: You're doing that. I did look up the No Country for Old Men murderer. Yeah, I don't think you look quite like him. He's got like long hair. It's almost like the in between of when you're gonna cut your hair really short, but you still have a bob. Yeah, so it's kind of that in between. I do not think you look like him.
Speaker 1: I think there's a line in the movie where Woody Harrelson is about to get I don't want spoiler alert, but it's a fifteen year old movie, the murder is about to kill Woody Harrelson or somebody else, and they say to the murderer, they said, I knew you were crazy when I saw your haircut. And the actor who played the murderer said, when I saw the haircut that I had to wear, I knew I wouldn't be getting laid for a few months because it's just a bad bowl haircut on a reasonably handsome man. So not sure if I have time for one. Yeah, I got time for one more. Okay, here we go. Don't stay my name. Okay. I heard Dave Mention on the Minnesota Goodbye that he knew Carson loved boy scouts when he was younger, but pretty sure he was over it by the end. I am in that situation with my sixteen year old daughter and her dad my ex only it's about hockey. After trying everything from gymnastics to soccer to volleyball, I signed her up for a try hockey for free clinic when she was eight, and she was hooked. Of course, that was the only day it's ever been free haha. Her dad dove in head first, bought all the equipment, all the clothing, kind of like when somebody gets their first Harley. All of a sudden, they show up in chaps and chains to every occasion, and they looked like Harley Davison threw up all over him. I know people like that. Anyway, Fast forward, she's sixteen, and she goes into like, you know, like her history with hockey and how she's just burnt out on it. She wants to prioritize school, working in friends, and she's burnt out on camps, practice hockey, summer camps, late night practices, and she doesn't want to do it anymore. It's a huge time commitment. Being sixteen. I feel like she has a say in this. However, her dad doesn't want to hear it, acknowledge it, or accept it. Hockey has become his identity, it's his social time, how he makes friends and networks. He says, now that next season sign ups are around the corner, he cannot ignore the situation any longer. She has stood her ground with my full support behind her, and has communicated as she's done as expected. He's lost his ever love and mind. He's called her a quitter, told her he made as well send her to another high school, has threatened to cancel her car insurance. He even tried getting her boyfriend to talk her into play next year. Completely unhinged over high school hockey. I guess I don't know if I'm venting or looking for advice, but for God's sake, parents out there, please don't put this kind of pressure on your kids. To quote Juanita, that really gets on my fucking nerves and irritates my soul. Thanks for listening to my as always, You're the best and I value and love you all. Let's take this one to the air. I'm going to forward it to.
Speaker 2: You should and all I'm going to say because I don't know that I don't like to get asman on the radio, but thank god that guy's your ex. What a debaate he sounds. Yeah, yeah, see why it probably didn't work out because how dare you base your happiness on forcing your child to do something that they clearly do not like. That's so selfish.
Speaker 1: I don't understand it. And I think if Carson would have come to me and said, you know, I don't want to do this anymore, I would have said, you know what, okay, I would have I would have let him win, but I would have he would have met some resistance because he made Eagle Scout, and he begrudgingly did all this stuff to make Eagle Scout. But now he's pretty proud of that. And he didn't realize what an Eagle Scout accomplishment was until he got older. And now he goes on a job interviewer and he's making conversation with somebody on the tour bus and it'll come out that they were both in Scouts, and oh, you're an Eagle Scout. Shit, that's cool. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only thing my mom forced me to do was play clarinet in the band. And I was in so many things. I did dance, I did every sport, I took piano lessons. I just didn't like. I was good at clarinet, but I didn't like it. I didn't want to join. And I remember like getting a bad grade on an assignment because I didn't turn in my sign up for band in time because I was trying to like push back on my mom. That was like the only thing I remember my mom trying to force me to do. But I feel like there's a difference between between trying to get your kid to stay involved in something and like threatening them and clearly he's like threatening. Yeah, yeah, that's just yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm really yeah, I'm sure that he's not as bad as a guy as we might imagine him is him to be, But that is pretty shitty that it's like it's all about him, it's his social time, it's how he makes friends and how he end quote she puts networks. Yeah, you know, love your daughter, Love your daughter. You got her for another two years and then she's going to be on her own and you will see her occasionally, and it's a big change that you go from seeing them at well they're separated or divorced, so I don't know how often he's easier. Anyway, let's take that to the air next week. That'd be a really good group therapy. I may have one more here is from Mike, our buddy Mike. We love Mike. Mike's like my age and he loves the show and he's just such a good guy. Bailey was talking about the phrase on the Minnesota Goodbye Hot Mike in the song written by Kaylee, and she said, who's Mike? And then she referred to me and then dismissed me as a hot option. I am crushed. Do you get it. She's like hot Mike. Oh it's Mike the you know the list. Oh no, he's not hot. I'm crushed. I don't either. For a brief moment in time, I thought my morning ladies were going to talk about me being attractive, good looking, et cetera, only to have that dashed immediately with a nope. I walked up right with my head held high for a brief moment. Now that's all gone. That's okay. I had it for a moment, just kidding. He says, I'm a friend, considered, an honored, remembered and mentioned occasionally during the show or on the Minnesota Goodbye. So thank you, Mike, appreciate you. You are a handsome guy.
Speaker 2: Here's what I'll say about you, Mike. I look at you as almost like a dad figure because I feel like you've reached out to me during tough times in life. So respectfully, I don't think that I can call you a hot Mike. Sorry Mike, but no, because I look at you almost.
Speaker 1: Like ad dad me. Well, yeah, I totally get that. Yeah. And so anyway, Mike, we appreciate you, and I think you're hot, and that is it. That's going to do it. For the Minnesota Goodbye good Ones today. Thank you for all your emails and all your support and shout out to Joe Gonzalez for his birthday. And shout out to you for listening, writing in, and supporting the Minnesota Goodbye