Speaker 1: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live in Philadelphia where the Dodgers are handed their first loss.
Speaker 3: Of the season.
Speaker 2: The Phillies defeat the Dodgers three to two in Game one of this three game series.
Speaker 3: Welcome the Dodger Talk, David Vase.
Speaker 2: Say with you until eight o'clock tonight, taking your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. You'll hear from Dave Roberts on the decision to place Freddie Freeman on the injured list. Freddie is not even here in Philadelphia and will not be on this road trip. You'll hear from Bryce Harper. He held a press conference with the Philadelphia media before the game, and one of the questions or topics were the Dodgers. And you'll hear Bryce Harper defend the Dodgers and what they did during this past offseason to make their World chiechampionship team even better. Speaking of the Dodgers and how dominant they've been so far, You'll hear from Brett Boone, who was on with Petro Some Money earlier this week. Boone was part of the one Mariners that won one hundred and sixteen games, a major league record, and Mookie Betts will have the last word on the show tonight, so you'll we'll get to all of that, but let's talk about this game. And I'm a firm believer in this, especially after what we saw in at Dodger Stadium in that final game of the homestand the Dodgers played the worst game I have seen them play in quite some time the other night at Dodgers Stadium on Wednesday night. But we're fortunate to out talent the Braves and come back and walk it off thanks to Max Munsey and show Hey Otani.
Speaker 3: But Mounsey had two bad errors there.
Speaker 2: Blake Snell let the umpire strike zone fluster him, got out of his game, and it was just an ugly game all around. And tonight the Dodgers beat themselves.
Speaker 3: In a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: They let the Phillies off the hook in three different innings, including the ninth inning to end the game when Chris Taylor was tagged out.
Speaker 3: It was a great tag and a great throw from JT.
Speaker 2: Realmudo to Trey Turner on the strike him out, throw him out to end the game. But as Rick Monday was saying, you've got to be one hundred percent sure that you're going to be safe in that situation. You got Jordan Romano on the ropes. Tommy Edmond just shook this place and silenced the sellout crowd with a two run home run to make it a three to two game, and that would be the final score. But Romano, if you ever followed his career, if you play fantasy baseball, I'm sure you realize that by no means is he a dominant closer. And the Dodgers had him on the ropes. They let him off the hook. As Dennis Green would say, we let him off the hook. That's what the Dodgers did. They let Romano and the Phillies off the hook in the ninth inning. They let the Phillies off the hook in the eighth inning as well. You had runners at first and third. You had Miguel Rojas at third base after his.
Speaker 3: Second hit of the season.
Speaker 2: Rojas is now two for eighteen if you're keeping score at home. But he had a single, a one out single that started what we thought was a rally for the Dodgers. Then O'tani singled him to third base, so runners at the corners, which with two outs because Pajes was struck out looking and you had Mookie Betts at the plate, and Mooki Betts is swinging the bat really well, he's seeing the baseball really well, and you want to get Mooki Betts a chance to possibly tie the game with one swing of the bat, and O'tani takes off for second base, down three runs. At that point, the Dodgers were losing three to nothing, and you're gonna make the last out trying to steal second base. That's not five Beta Kappa. I don't know what was going on in Otani's mind. There was no need to try to steal second base right there, with two outs and down three runs.
Speaker 3: Just inexcusable right there.
Speaker 2: And then in the sixth inning, the Dodgers made another base running error that cost them the inning, this time with Otani at the plate right because Andy Pajez was thrown out trying to go first move on Jesu's Lozardo. Lozardo's cruising, and you finally get on base with a walk, and you let him have a very easy inning because he got you trying to steal second base on the first move.
Speaker 3: It wasn't even.
Speaker 2: Close and then he hesitated. It's one thing, if you're gonna steal, you better go. You don't hesitate on first move. And so that ran the Dodgers out of the sixth inning. So they ran themselves out of three different innings laid in the game. And to me, that's that's the game. The Dodgers beat themselves tonight. Even though Lozardo was pitching great, they still had had an opportunity to win this game. Now here's another factor in the game tonight, and I'm not sure how often it was brought up, but Taoscar Hernandez and Shohyotani lost what would have been home runs thanks to the win blowing in at that point in time in the game. Early on, Otani in the third inning hit a rocket that was over one hundred miles an hour.
Speaker 3: But it was to that cookie cutter.
Speaker 2: Cutout to the deepest part of the ballpark, and the wind was blowing in and cut it down. It was a fly ball right on the edge of the warning track. And then in the fourth inning, Taoscar Hernandez hit a long fly ball to left field, but it was so high up the wind cut it down as well. So anything hit to excuse me, left field or center field tonight, it was not going anywhere. Tommy Edmund's home run in the ninth inning went to right field, and by that time the win had kind of died down. And right now the flags are not blowing at all, even though they have the tarp on the field in anticipation of rain coming overnight. But that was a factor early on in the game, or maybe this is a different game. And speaking of mistakes, yama Moto was kicking himself when he threw the ball away in the first inning, and Trey Turner's speed affected the game in the first inning when he took off for third base, because the mistake was physical throwing the ball away. But the mental error is what cost yama Moto. He was so focused on Bryce Harper he never looked at Trey Turner at second base, and that's why Turner took off and caught him off guard. So a mental and physical mistakes cost the Dodgers tonight and they fall to the Phillies three to two, eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to the phones. We have three lines open. Paul, who was at at the game tonight in Philly.
Speaker 4: Are you on?
Speaker 3: Are you in Philly, Paul? Were you at the game?
Speaker 5: Yes, I am. I live in New Jersey. I'm home now, but I was at the game. I'm a Dodger fan. I've been a Dodgers fansins nineteen forty nine. David, and wow, that's awesome. I just want to let you know that you are my connection to the Dodgers. Without you, I wouldn't know anything what's going on. So I want to thank you for your efforts. It's fabulous. Again, I agree with you.
Speaker 2: You really really good after you being a lifelong Dodger fan since nineteen forty nine, that's really special. Do you remember the fifty five Dodgers starting ten and oh that year of.
Speaker 5: Course, and Roy Campanellan Peey Reese and you name it. Yeah, Goodrik at that team. Yeah again, they played poor baseball tonight. I was very disappointed by how poorly they played. That's a win game for them, and they just they didn't want to win the game. They said, I was going to.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they beat themselves. I'm sorry if drove from Jersey to here. Do you come to a lot of games in Philadelphia when the Dodgers are playing out here.
Speaker 5: Yes, I go see the Dodgers every time they're in town. It's a funny state to be at. It really is. Yeah, excitement at the Philly State. Yeah yeah, forty five thousand fans. How do you beat that right now?
Speaker 2: And I would say that they they they're a little less polite than the fans in Tokyo, how about that. But but in a sports edgy kind away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it was fun win lo was a jar. I love baseball. So all right, David, thank you again for being my link. You're the link brother oh man.
Speaker 2: Then I am humbled and honored. Thank you, Paul. Appreciate the phone call. Call back anytime, and hopefully come out to another game before the Dodgers leave town. Tonight, they lose three to two for the first time this season. Poor Paul, a Dodger fan since nineteen forty nine. I guess the bride's grooms followed the Dodgers from Jersey to Philly with him. Tonight, he sees the Dodgers fall for the first time this season. But look, it's gonna be an amazing year. The Dodgers are going to get the best shot from every team and you know, they always say styles make fights, and the Dodgers don't match up that great against Philadelphia. They're one of the few teams that has the talent to match the Dodgers, whether it's their strunting staff or their offense. And I would still say pound the Dodger offense one through nine is much better than the Phillies. But the Phillies pitch better and they didn't make mistakes. The Dodgers made a lot of mistakes tonight and they fall for the fifth straight time here in Philadelphia. Let's go out to Corona. Ronnie, you're on Dodger Talk Live from Philly. How you doing, Ronnie?
Speaker 3: Hey DV?
Speaker 7: How you doing, Bud?
Speaker 3: I'm doing good. I love coming out to Philly.
Speaker 2: You know, Ronnie, fans ask me all the time, what is your favorite ballpark?
Speaker 3: Where should we come see the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: I would strongly recommend uh coming out to Philadelphia to see the Dodgers play here.
Speaker 3: It's a great atmosphere.
Speaker 8: Definitely, I agree with you. And also they got to get one of those Philly chief states right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for sure, and they got one out here in center field. Tony Luke's not a bad alternative if you can't make it to Geno's or Pats exactly.
Speaker 8: Hey, DV so real quick, I was gonna just kind of talk about Munsie struggles. I know he's having trouble at the play right now. I don't know if that was the right call to bring him in. And the last thing I know that Arnato wanted to come to LA. He's, you know, a so call guy. Right now, he's batting three ninety one and fall defense and Monthy's had his struggles with defense and hitting right now. Obviously he tried the the torpedo bat. It didn't work. The regular beats not working. I don't know, Maybe we can get him a tennis record or something, right.
Speaker 2: Ronnie, did you miss Wednesday night's game where Max Munsey tied the game with a two run double to set up Otawi's heroics. Are we really jumping off the Mounsie bandwagon that quickly?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I just you know, I do like him, But at the same time, it just it seems like it happens all the time.
Speaker 3: What happens all the time.
Speaker 8: More often that he's struggling than than good.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what happens in baseball.
Speaker 2: You're you're going to fail seven out of ten times if you're really good. And you know I'll say this, Ronnie Muncie serves a purpose. I have said this, and that's why I believe the Dodgers value Max Muncy a lot of times. It's not going to be pretty offensively. He is a three true outcome player, but he's one of those players where the part the sum is greater than the parts, meaning he has a function in the lineup to face right handed pitching, to see a lot of pitches, to make opposing pitchers work, and to draw a lock, and to be a threat to hit a home run.
Speaker 3: In this lineup.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers need that, especially when you have a lot of guys like Otani and Betts and Freddie and Taoskar they swing a lot.
Speaker 3: You need a guy that takes some pitches.
Speaker 2: So I'm not jumping off the Max Munsey bandwagon just yet.
Speaker 9: I see what you're saying, And you know what, I really enjoy watching the team right now. It really feels like, as a fan, like no deficit, we can't come back at any point. They can kid five ten runs in any and.
Speaker 8: I'm really enjoying the season. So far so I love it all.
Speaker 3: Right, Ronnie, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 2: You know it's funny Ronnie's calling and basically slamming Max Munsey for striking out for the second out of the ninth inning. But next monthly didn't start. He came off the bench tonight to face a struggling right handed relief pitcher in Jordan Romano, and he didn't come through.
Speaker 3: Off the bench. He's a starter.
Speaker 2: It's a lot harder for guys to come off the bench when they're used to getting four at bats. I'm not making excuses, but of all nights, tonight's not the night to slam Max Munsey. It was. It wasn't on him. He doesn't have blood on his hands for this loss. Let's go out to Teluca Lake. Dave, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Dave.
Speaker 7: Hey, Dave good to jump in for the first time this year.
Speaker 5: First time of many.
Speaker 7: I really appreciate your critical analysis. I'm in the same boat. I think that the Dodgers may be guilty of taking her foot out the gap, drinking their own kool aid or whatever. And the reality is, and I've been saying it to all my friends that are calling me talking about the Dodgers. I don't think we I mean, what have we done. We haven't beat any good teams. I mean the Cubs, the Tigers, the Braves. I mean, Philly's a legit team. You got to play mistake free. We didn't do that and they took advantage of it. Now, I know they're gonna come back this weekend with you know, with a mission for sure, but it's just like they need to get back to fundamental grind it out baseball, take pitches, swing at good pitches, play tight defense, and everybody plays together like they're on a string. So again, I appreciate your critical nois thank.
Speaker 2: You, Okay, no problem. I appreciate the compliment, but I will fact check you. Look, here's the trap that all of us are going to get into. And I'm guilty of it to a certain extent as well, because I was talking about it before the game that I will wasn't impressed with the Tigers or the Cubs. I was a little impressed with the Tigers. They fought the Dodgers tooth and nail, but they got swept. And this is the trap that I'm going to warn all of us whenever a team plays the Dodgers, they're not going to look that great, right, or you might not be impressed with that team because the Dodgers are that good.
Speaker 3: Case in point, the Tigers.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of people talk to their coaching staff and their players towards the end of that series at Dodgers Stadium, and they felt like they played well enough to be twenty five other teams out there. But they got swept by the Dodgers. And since getting swept by the Dodgers, they're three and one. So the Tigers are a playoff team. In my opinion, I have them making the playoffs. The Cubs got swept by the Dodgers in Tokyo, Japan, of all places. They beat the Padres and handed the Padres their first loss earlier today, and the Cubs are six and four, so they lost the first two games to the Dodgers. But you know they're a team that's going to be in it for the n L Central. So that's my point. The Dodgers are really good, but you're going to get into the trap and say, you know what, I'm not impressed by this team. That team they're not good. Well, the Tigers and Cubs are going to be playoff teams or fight for a playoff spot. There's no doubt about that, and so are the Braves. The Braves are not firing on all cylinders without Ronald Acuna Junior, of course, So I just think we all have to remind ourselves of that. But the teams the Dodgers have played are not as talented as the Phillies. So I understood what Dave was saying right there. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. And like I said, styles make fights. Not only have the Dodgers lost five in a row in this ballpark in Philadelphia, but they have lost eight of the last to the Phillies overall, going back to twenty twenty three eight six six two five seventy. We have two lines open. Let's go out to all hambra. Javier, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Javier?
Speaker 10: Hey, pretty good, Dave, thanks for taking my call, my pleasure man. We're eating real good right undefeated, And going back to last game, Paz has that base running blender where he's gets caught leading on that and ends up going into a double play, and then he's killing me today with that other base running blender where he hesitated.
Speaker 5: And I was just like, man, we.
Speaker 9: Just we have to stay sharp, just like the days has to.
Speaker 3: Play better Javier.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's been given the center field job, but he's got to play better.
Speaker 3: He has not looked great out there defensively.
Speaker 2: He had a costly drop on Wednesday night, part of three eras at Dodger Stadium. He's made I can already count three bad base running plays and it's barrel. It's not even the tenth game of the season and he's not hitting that great, you know, as the ninth hitter, that's an important spot in the order to turn the lineup over for show Aotani. Andy Paz to start the season is hitting a buck eleven. He's hitting a buck eleven. He's two, He's three for twenty seven. He's got to start playing better because there's a guy by the name of Hayesan Kim that is starting to master his new swing and playing great defense in Oklahoma City. So he better start playing better or the Dodgers have got to make a decision on whether or not Hayesan Kim is a better alternative to Paz, to Rojas or to Chris Taylor. So those three guys they better start picking it up because the Dodgers have a lot of good players in Triple A.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, thanks for the phone call. I was done there.
Speaker 2: That's where you agree or disagree right there, Javier eight six six nine, seven seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Phillies three to two, and they did it without Freddie Freeman for the third straight game, remember, or fourth straight game remember before the Brave series. Freddy on the off day Sunday afternoon, fell in his shower and reaggravated that surgically repaired right ankle, and he was looking good, he was feeling good. He was trying to convince himself and the Dodgers that he would be able to be back in the lineup tonight here in Philadelphia. Well, Freddy didn't even travel with the team because they decided to place him on the ten day il with that right ankle injury. And the Dodgers believe that they need to nip this in the bud right now and not allow Freddy to try to play on it because that would make it linger all season long. And I fully agree with the Dodgers' decision. There's no reason for Freddie Freeman to be playing on that be at right ankle until it's well enough for him to play and be ready for the Dodgers when it matters. The most here was manager Dave Roberts before the game, when I asked him about the process to decide to put Freddy on the IL.
Speaker 6: He could have played, but we just felt that, even in talking to Freddy the trending staff, there was potential downside if we played them to make it worse. And given the time of year, the off days that we had, we built in some days that he'd missed off day coming up just made sent for him to stay back, not travel, fly increased swelling, and then be ready to go hopefully when we get home for the Homestand.
Speaker 2: I know you're always thinking big picture, but how much of the luxury of having an aid and no start and as many good players as you have factored into being able to absorb a loss of a player like him.
Speaker 6: I think the having the depth certainly allowed us to absorb it, but I still believe that that's a separate decision which what is best for Freddie And given him more time putting on the IL made the most sense, and he wasn't too thrilled about it, as we would all expect, but understood it. You know, I think that if we wouldn't have done anything, I think it could have lingered all year. And not to say that we expect it to be one hundred percent when he comes off, but I just think that it's something that we give it a chance to kind of maintain versus continually go backward as the season progressed, and that's something we just didn't want him to fight all year long.
Speaker 2: All Right, that was a great explanation by Dave robertson. I fully agree. I know Freddie wants to play as many games as possible.
Speaker 3: He really does want to be out there.
Speaker 2: And like Dave roberts said, he could have played tonight, but at what cost, the cost of him limping around and managing that right ankle at a more severe level than he probably needs to. Right decision, don't let Freddy play until that right ankle is as good as it's going to get for the rest of the season. Eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Hey, before we take a time out here, I do want to get back to your calls, But I do want to point out that Mookie Bets played his best game of the season defensively at shortstop, and I'm going to make it a point to point this out when he does, because we always point out when he doesn't play well. There I thought tonight he turned two really good double plays.
Speaker 3: Tonight.
Speaker 2: He turned a double play in the fourth inning to end the inning, and he also turned a double play on Bryce Harper's ground ball for the second and third out. Excuse me second and yeah, well, the first two outs of the sixth inning on Bryce Harper. He looked really athletic around the bag and he wasn't thinking making those plays. So Mookie Betts looked his best tonight defensively at shortstop. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. When we continue from Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia. You'll hear from Bryce Harper as he was asked what he thought about the Dodgers Juggernaut roster, and we'll also hear from Brett Boone, who joined Petro some money, and his thoughts on the Dodgers' chances of breaking his Mariners win record of one hundred and sixteen wins back in two thousand and one and more of your phone calls. We have lines open at eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy after the Dodgers fall for the first time this season, three to two to the Phillies on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 5: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five to seven e LA Sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassi until back on the right side. That's a lead at second, now the fifth and Edmund Swains hits a high fly ball the right. There's Paul heading back. There's Paul. Is God. It's a home run for Edmund.
Speaker 5: Tommy Edmund with this fifth home run of the season, and the Dodgers get on the board of the ninth and it's three to two.
Speaker 2: Tommy Edmund five home runs this season. Aaron Judge has six to lead Major League Baseball. Tommy Edmund that close from being the major League leader in home runs hit so far this season. He made this game close in the ninth inning and made the sellout crowd of forty three thousand plus absolutely nervous that the Dodgers were going to come back again.
Speaker 3: This year.
Speaker 2: They have six comeback wins, the most in baseball. They were this close, one run away from making it a seventh, but they do come up a bucks short tonight to the Phillies three to two and lose their first game of the season. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast. Go to AM five to seventy LA sports dot com and use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card predicting the number of home.
Speaker 3: Runs in the next game. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number you know.
Speaker 3: Tonight's game was televised on.
Speaker 2: Apple TV, and I'm not sure if any of you have seen the World series documentary on Apple TV. I watched it. It's like a three parter. Let me just put this. I'll take you behind the curtain. I heard I was in this Apple docu series for a split second, you know, when they showed me miked up in the press box when Jack Flaherty was not pitching well, and they have me miked up, and I was fully aware.
Speaker 3: I was miked up.
Speaker 2: And you know, I was brutally honest when I said, and they showed it, this guy doesn't have it tonight. That was my only line in the Dodgers World Championship docu series. I've traveled with the team in every city all last year. They miked me up before Game five and during Game five all day and that's all they used. Come on, Apple, that's all you use for me saying this guy doesn't have it. You mike me up all day and then you wasted thirty minutes of my day before the World Series started to interview me to see whether or not you even wanted to use me. You said you would, and then you never followed up. I mean, I just had to get that off my chest because a couple of players, see, that's the beauty of me.
Speaker 3: I could say things, but I have to be here to face the music.
Speaker 11: And uh.
Speaker 2: One of the players saw the docuseries and said, oh, I saw I saw you in it saying that Flerty didn't have it. I said, yeah, he didn't have it. I was right, he didn't have it. But we need Walker Bueller to come in to close the game. Yeah, Jack Flerty didn't have it. I didn't say anything that wasn't untrue. But come on, Ron Howard and whoever else was involved. That's all you got for me after micing me up all day. Come on eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to La Puente. No, you're on Dodger Talk. How could Apple do me dirty like that?
Speaker 4: Huh uh?
Speaker 7: Those down?
Speaker 12: He comes down to Apple TV for doing a Dave Bess dirty.
Speaker 8: Come on, man, we need to see him on the camera a lot more. Man, his his beautiful face. What's up?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say that, but geez, you mike me up and you interviewed me, and that's all you used.
Speaker 10: They did did?
Speaker 8: They did the dirty Dave all good though? You know what Dave today's game.
Speaker 7: I'm let's not lose sight.
Speaker 12: Also, let's not lose sight of the fact that Kirby Yates, man, he was very disappointed today. Also man, the fact that I wasn't too mad that the Dodgers were a little bit more aggressive on the basis than usually. And one of those calls, you know, the last call is it stands and it's safe. It puts the runner in scoring position, Dave. I wasn't too mad at the Dodgers being aggressive, though I want you don't.
Speaker 2: You don't make the last out on the basis, and you certainly don't make the last out to lose the game. Though it's not it's Chris Taylor, it's not, you know, the fastest guy on the team.
Speaker 3: He's a really good base runner. And it was close.
Speaker 2: It was bang bang, but you got to be sure that you're going to be safe in that situation. Thanks for the phone call, appreciate it. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Joshua in Riverside. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Joshua, Hey DV.
Speaker 13: How you doing.
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 3: I was doing good.
Speaker 2: Until I you know, I got upset again thinking about how Apple did me dirty.
Speaker 13: You know, I watched it. I didn't mind it. I heard your line and I agreed with you, he didn't have it in that game.
Speaker 11: I was right.
Speaker 13: Luckily Walker closed out the game like you said. But just going back on.
Speaker 2: Seriously, what'd you think about that? What did you think about the docu series? I thought it was okay, but I feel like the new season has started, and I don't think you're as excited as you would have been to see it maybe back in December.
Speaker 13: Of course, though, But anything to help you relive those games, I think it's a blessing. Those games are one of the best times in my life. Me and my fiance actually went to the first World Series game to watch Cherdy Freeman's walkoff Grand Slam. That was the best Dodger game I've ever been to, and I'm looking forward to going to more games this year watching the Dodgers repeat.
Speaker 2: All right, Joshua, thank you for the phone call, and yeah, it brings back great memories. You can never get tired of that. And I thought it was awesome the access Freddie Freeman allowed them to be able to follow him around even before they knew he was going to be the World Series MVP and hit that dramatic grand Slam to win Game one for the Dodgers. So yeah, to me, that was the best part of the whole documentary to have that type of access with Freddie Freeman. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Speaking of access, Bryce Harper is very accessible and I think he's a great ambassador for the game. He's got a lot of style. He wants to promote the game in a lot of good ways. And today he held court with the Philadelphia media and he actually came to the Dodgers defense when so many haters out there are so jealous of what the Dodgers have done. Yeah, I don't know, Okay will like this, but I feel like only losers complain about what they're doing.
Speaker 7: But you know, I think they're.
Speaker 4: A great team.
Speaker 2: They're a great organization.
Speaker 3: That's why guys want to go there and play.
Speaker 11: LA is a great playing obviously.
Speaker 14: It's uh, you know, they're at the mecca kind of the world of everything, right from.
Speaker 2: Food to nightlife to the sports, from the Dodgers to the Lakers.
Speaker 3: To meet with himself, you know, I mean, they're they're going to continue to get guys. They're going to continue to pull guys from you.
Speaker 2: Know, the sports bullpen, starting pitching international players or anything like that.
Speaker 11: They're going with the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Bryce Harper is a l a guy at heart. You know, he grew up in Vegas. He would come to LA to play travel ball games. But you know, you know, he wanted to be a Dodger. He Act almost signed with the Dodgers when he was a free agent the last time. Prior to the Phillies handing him a long term, big contract, he was considering a short term contract from the Dodgers before the eighteen season, and I thought, you know, he would have been a great fit with the Dodgers in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: He's made for LA and I love.
Speaker 2: How he's become a Philly guy and really become part of the fabric of this city. He's really taken on the identity of this city. So it's worked out perfectly for him and for the Dodgers. And shout out to Pepe in All Hambra. You know, when he's talking about LA being a great food town, he's thinking about his spot in All Hambra. Pepe, So be on the lookout for Bryce Harper when the Phillies come back to LA this season. Let's go out to Fullerton. Artie, you're on Dodger Talk Live from Philadelphia. How you doing, Artie.
Speaker 11: I'm doing well, my friend. You know, I sat in the bleach Is when they were two dollars a ticket, so I've been around a while and I just tind to share with you that if we could back up the game clock about nine games and interview some of these negative nellies putting down you know, I think O'tani was safe a second. I think Chris Taylor was safe a second. But we didn't even try to overrule the call with Otani. I think was a mistake. But if we just said to the Dodger fans, hey, look, you know, after bringing home the World Series trophy, we could start out the season eight. Oh how do you feel about that? People would say, well, that's not possible. But the reality is that this is a hard working, charmed baseball club and to see these guys take a chance is it's remarkable because they're not worried about how they look. They're just trying to win ball games. And yeah, we're short Freddy and we have a few other things going on, but this is a remarkable baseball team. They came out the first, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Alredy, I think the Dodgers have spoiled their fans, including you, and you know, especially to start the year eight to zero as a defending world champion, that's the best start for defending world champion. The following season, I think we all got spoiled. And you know, even before the season started, and thank you for the phone call. People were talking about the Dodgers breaking the Mariners regular season wins record of one hundred and sixteen wins back in oh one.
Speaker 3: That doesn't matter to the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: It may matter to all of us that talk about it, and you know, our fans of the game, But I can guarantee you winning one hundred and seventeen games this year is pretty low on the priority list for Andrew Friedman, Dave Roberts, Mookie Betts, Freddie Freeman, and Show and everybody else on the team that has their priorities straight, which they all do. It's winning a back to back World Series championship. You never heard Mookie Beds or Freddie Freeman talk about winning the most games in the regular season. I've never heard them talk about it. And when the Dodgers had a chance a couple of years ago to maybe make a run for it, they chose to take the bigger picture in mind to try to do the best they could in the postseason. So the Dodgers' goal is not to break the Mariners record. The Dodgers' goal is to become the first team in twenty five years in baseball to win back to back championships. Now, with that being said, Brett Boone, who was part and a big part of the Mariners team in two thousand and one that won a record setting one hundred and sixteen games, was on with Petro some money, and everybody wants to know, do you believe with the way the Dodgers are constructed and the way they have really put it all together, that they have a chance to either tie or break that Marinaers record. Here's what Brett Boone thinks about the twenty twenty five Dodgers.
Speaker 4: I look at this DoD roster and it's just it's so deep. They've got so much depth compared to everybody else. If a star goes down, they've got another star to replace him. I think that's what separates the Dodgers from every other team in baseball, is just their depth. They're as deep as any team I've ever seen, and I was looking at it. Every year, I'll get phone calls about that two thousand and one Mariner team. To a team that gets off to a hot start, Hey do you think they can break your record? It's kind of you shrug it off, You roll your eyes and you laugh. No, no one will ever beat one hundred and sixteen. We had a magic carpet ride it. It was something I've never seen before and I don't think I'll see in my lifetime until this year when I'm looking at this roster and I'm going, not only did he have the stars that I mentioned in the starting rotation with the Snells and the Yamamoto and the Otani potentially coming back, and the guy pitching a.
Speaker 5: Night in La Glass.
Speaker 4: Not only that, but you've got that bullpen's unbelievable, and you went out and you added a Scott and you added a Kirby Yates who was arguably the best reliever in baseball last year. So not only is their lineup stack, the depth behind the secondary players, the starting rotation, but the bullpen's elite as well. So if any team, I'm not saying they can do it, you still got to go out and play play one hundred and sixty two games, and man, it doesn't add up no matter how good you are to win one hundred and sixteen plus. But if any team could do it, this team, on paper is the greatest team I've ever seen in my lifetime to start a season from a talent perspective.
Speaker 2: All right, that's Brett Boone, who was a member of the two thousand and one Mariners, one of the big parts of that Mariners team that won a record setting one hundred and sixteen games.
Speaker 3: And look, you know, if it happens.
Speaker 2: In the process of the Dodgers going out there and staying on track for the postseason, then that that'll work for them. But by no means are the Dodgers going to be chasing the one Mariners. That's just not something you hear from them. And look, they have a good enough team to do it. But I will say this, they would have a better chance of breaking the Mariners record if they were in the American League. The American League is such a weaker league going back to last year as well. You know, I'm watching the Angels and Guardians play right now. If the Dodgers were in the American League, no doubt in my mind would they win one hundred and sixteen games with the talent they have compared to the talent any of those American League teams have. But the National League is really good. You look at the National League West alone. I mean, the Giants are off to a great start. They won their game tonight as today, with a walkoff hit by Willia Domis the Padres. Nobody talked about this while the Dodgers were eight to zero, but there was another team that was undefeated up until today as well, and that was the Padres, the team that took the Dodgers to the limits in five games of the NLDS. So the Padres now are seven to one, the Dodgers are eight and one. I just don't see how the Dodgers who they you know, in this division, Padres, Diamondbacks, Giants, those are probably three of the four or five best teams in the National League. You would have to say the Phillies are up there as well. To me, it's the Phillies, the Padres, the Diamondbacks being the other top teams in the National League. So I just don't I just don't believe that one hundred and sixteen wins is something that's going to happen this year. I could see the Dodgers winning one hundred and five games, but one hundred and sixteen's that's really hard to do, especially when you're in the toughest league of the two eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Los Felis. Calvin, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Calvin?
Speaker 3: All right, David, thanks for taking my call, my pleasure.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm just curious about the reasoning behind playing key K at first and keeping Munsey at third rather than switching the two, because I know, I know Munsey has put a lot of work in at third and has really improved a lot, but I've always felt, you know, he just looks a little more comfortable at first, and it's a position he had a lot of familiarity with, so and I know Kyk is a great third baseman, So what's the profits or the thought process behind keeping Kik at that first number?
Speaker 12: One?
Speaker 2: I agree with you, Calvin, but I'll tell you what the Dodgers are thinking. They have a first basement in Freddie Freeman, who plays one hundred and fifty games plus, so in the short term, they believe that it's better to keep Max Munsey at third base to continue to feel comfortable at that position because that's the position they need him to play, and that's the reason why they don't want to move Monthly off a third base because it's a short term thing, but I agree with you. It would make more sense to have Kik, who's a better defensive player at a more tougher position at third base, and have Max Munsey play first base, where he played a lot of prior to Freddie Freeman arriving here.
Speaker 3: But that's their thinking.
Speaker 2: They don't want to move Monthly off at third base because that's he needs to continue to play there and feel comfortable there and confident there, and if they move him off of there, they feel like that could jeopardize those plans big picture wise.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, Yeah, that makes sense to me, And I do really like Monthy at third base for the record, you know, I do think he has improved quite a bit and you feel comfortable with him there day to day.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 2: It was a bad game Wednesday night, but who doesn't have bad games. He's put in a lot of work to be a better defensive third baseman, and I don't understand where all this Monthy hate is coming from. Yeah, Nolan Aeronado or we haven't even played ten games and everybody's going to say that Aeronado's back. I love Nolan, but Nolan had at least two opportunities to find his way to the Dodgers, and he didn't do it. Now there might be another opportunity this season. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out. But I love Nolan Aeronado, but I just feel like the Dodgers are out of the Nolan Aeronado business after he didn't find a way here the previous two chances he had to get here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely he's not already here, then we don't.
Speaker 2: Need him, all right, Calvin, thanks for the phone call. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers fall for the first time this season, three to two to the Phillies, and look, eight and one not all bad. It feels like there's a little sense of disappointment tonight. But look, the Dodgers were going are going to lose their share of games this year. I think you just got to get used to that. Hey, on Monday, the Dodgers are going to the White House, as every World Series team does. It's an invitation that every team UH says yes to, no matter who is in office, and it's not a political thing. The Dodgers are are going there and They're going to be celebrated as they should be on Monday at the White House, and Mookie Bets, I don't really want to talk about going or not going, or who's going or who's not going, because that that's just not what this show is about, right, But I feel like I do owe it to Mookie Bets to play what or to share with you what he had to say about his decision to join his teammates at the White House on Monday, because he did not go in twenty nineteen after the Red Sox won the eighteen World Series. So I'm not going to get into it, but I do feel like I owe it to Mookie Bets because he sat in the Dodgers dugout before the game and he wanted to share his thoughts publicly, and I feel like I owe it to MOOKI to play his reasoning. So Mookie Bets has the last word on Dodger Talk tonight. Have you made a decision if you're joining your teammates on Monday. I know you've been asked a lot about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah I have, I have, and yeah I'm going to go.
Speaker 14: And it's not a political stance that I'm taking. I know no matter what I say and what I do there, people are going to take it as political, but that's definitely not what it is. This is about an accomplishment that the Dodgers were able to accomplish last year, and I didn't go in nineteen and I regret that, you know, because I made it about me, and this is not about me, and I don't want anything to be about me. I want this to be about the Dodgers because these boys were there for me in the dark times when all this stuff was coming about coming out in playoffs. I'm over twenty.
Speaker 3: I gotta do this, I gotta do that.
Speaker 14: But these boys rallied around me to help me so much through through playoffs last year, and just as a person, well being as a person, my well being as a person, and so for me to be able to look in the mirror at night and to be happy with the person that I'm looking at, I need to be there with my boys to celebrate this accomplishment that you know, with you know, all the fight, everything we did last year. Man, that was hard, and I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror. And if I wasn't there with him.
Speaker 2: You've been asked about it. So, how does it make you feel that everybody wants to know what Mookie Betts is going to do?
Speaker 3: Was that tough to kind of process and all this too?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, you know, kind of is what it is.
Speaker 14: I mean, it comes with the territory being black in America and in a situation like this is you know, it's a tough spot to be in. No matter what I choose, somebody's gonna be pissed, somebody's gonna be have their own opinion. But I mean, again, this is not about me. This is not about politics. This is about the Dodgers. It's about my loyalty to these boys in this clubhouse, and that's all it is for me.
Speaker 2: Hey, I loved what Mookie Betts had to say, and I thought he said it perfectly, So that's why he gets the last word. Tonight on Dodger Talk. We'll be back with you tomorrow. It's another different game time as the Dodgers and Phillies hook up for the second game of this three game series in Philadelphia. Roki Sazaki will be on the mound and we'll see how it goes. We'll see if he has fixed anything to try to throw more strikes.
Speaker 3: That's what it comes down to for him. He's got to throw more strikes.
Speaker 2: He's got to be able to stay in the game longer and not compromise the Dodger bullpen. He's going up against one of the more solid starters in baseball, Aaron Nola Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at noon tomorrow and we will have keiy A Hernandez as our special guest and first pitch is at one oh five with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett from Philadelphia. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. Thanks to everybody that called in. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's also where you can find our pregame conversation with Blake Trinin.
Speaker 3: We had some fun with Blake and he explained the sweeper and explain.
Speaker 2: How he continues to pitch so well even getting closer to age thirty six.
Speaker 3: That was a little uncomfortable to ask him, but we had fun with it.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here in Philadelphia, thanks to Colin Ye back at our Burbank Studios, and like I said, always thanks to you. Without the fans, the Dodgers are nothing, and they all appreciate you and appreciate the support, whether it's in Los Angeles, Tokyo, or Philadelphia. Once again, the final score tonight the Dodgers now are a dreadful eight and one after falling to the Phillies three to two.
Speaker 3: Have a great rest of your night. We'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Plain