Speaker 1: He's night Side with Dan Ray on WBS Boston's radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Dan Watkins. We are going into at nine o'clock hour, and I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of the Board of Directors at the Kennedy Institute for the US Senate, David Urban. David Urban is someone who you may have seen on CNN. He is a commentator on CNN and I think he's just gotten off a plane somewhere, I believe in Washington. David, how are you tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm good, Dan, How are you? I mean Philadelphia today.
Speaker 2: Philadelphia, Washington, they all look the same.
Speaker 3: I hope you Hilly, New York, Boston, and he kind of you know, I know, I know the sports teams are different, but it all blends together after a while.
Speaker 2: It certainly does. You can always just ride the Essella sometimes, and that's just as quick as the airplanes, that's for sure. So first of all, I wanted to do to the audience. I know that you're on CNN and you've been very much involved in politics, and I want to talk about the Kennedy Institute and really a good or a good wonderful organization, which is a very bipartisan board of directors, which which is interesting and and I think commendable. Just a little bit of background yourself. You're a West Point graduate, and you have your law degree from Temple, and you have a master's degree from University of Pennsylvania. You served in the Gulf War, Bronze Star recipient in the in the Gulf War, and spent obviously the requisite five years of active duty military service after after your graduation. Uh So, congratulations on those accomplishments. Let's talk about the Edward and Kennedy Kennedy Institute for the US Senate. I actually had the pleasure in honor of moderating a conversation with Natan Sharansky there several years ago. That room is beautiful. I assume you have already physically been to the.
Speaker 3: It's a great space, it's a great building. It's a great space, a great organization, and I'm really proud to be proud to be associated with and on the board now.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because the board, I think it has seventeen members at this point, including the UMass Boston president, but also more importantly, several former senators and political leaders, both Republicans and Democrats, it's a very balanced represent representation. I looked at the board today and I was very pleased to see people who I know well, certainly former Congressman Joe Kennedy, but also some of the representatives former US Senators on both sides of the aisle. There's a real effort there, it seems to me keep that Board of directors balanced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so a lot of credit goes to Bruce and the board. So what what you didn't get my my lengthy bio was that a long time ago, I used to work for a guy the name of Arlen Spector Philadelphia who at Pennsylvanian, who was was kind of a curmudgeon, contrarian, but but noted for his his his bipartisanship. And I got to do a lot of work when my time nineteen ninety seven to two thousand and two with Senator Kennedy in his office. And so when I had the opportunity to join the board, I jumped at it because I think that that bipartisan nature, the bipartisanship that used to exist in this Senate. Oops, sorry about that that used to exist in the Senate is uh? I hope you know, I hope Walking on no, no, no, But that Byparson used to exist in the Senate is you know, always always at risk of vanishing and disappearing, right, And so I think there needs to be a real focus on on making sure that that that that is not forgotten. And Bruce and the and the team at the at the Institute have done a nice job of putting some programming together in the past, and it's something aboard which I think really is focused on that. You know, Senator Kennedy and my former boss, Senator Spector and Senator Hatch and others back in the day used to work hand and glove to get a lot of good things done. And and as you know, in the Senate with a fillbus or the sixty vote rule, the only way to get anything done is to do it in a bipartisan manner. You have to have support from Republicans, you have to support from Democrats, and you have to come together. And and today that may not be super popular, whether it's Donald Trump or Joe Bidener, whomever's in the White House. Consensus and and and and passing you know, legislation. Uh is how this you know how the you remember the old school house rock. I'm just a bill on Capitol Hill. Well, you know, the world isn't done by eos. Normally, it's done by legislation, and the only way that gets done is by Democrats and Republicans working together. And I think the Institute goes a long way and trying to advance that and keep that front and center in people's minds.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I worked here as a TV reporter for thirty one years for the CBS affiliate here in Boston, WBC TV, and spent a lot of time with Senator Kennedy and he was a very reasonable guy who you knew where he stood on issues, but we we spent some time together socially, and unlike Senator Warren, who is such an ideal loogue here in Massachusetts. You know I'm serious when I say that.
Speaker 3: No, No, I understand, No, it's just yeah, you can't, you can't. You can't legislate from the ends, right, you got to come in the middle.
Speaker 2: She's way out there, and she's never been on my program and as an musicue, well yeah, he loss not mine, but on your board. You know, Joe Kennedy is someone who I get along with really well. I've had Patrick Kennedy on this show talking about his recovery. Marty me and the president of U MASS has been a friend for a long time. Marsello Sarezo Rosco at U MASS Boston as a as a great friend. I was at a dinner with Chris Sanuda on Saturday night. Obviously his brother, former Senator John Sanunu is on and then UH many many of the others I've interviewed along the way. UH and I had the chair of your board on here recently. It's it's a very different feel from the from the Kennedy Library. They do the Profile Encourage Award every year, and whenever they give it to a Republican it's because the Republican is strayed from Republican orthodoxy, you know, you know Dick Cheney, who would be would be live, would from from the Kennedy Library. It's it's a very different feel, and.
Speaker 3: I hope that I think, you know, I think I think the missions, I think the missions are a little different as well, though. Yeah, right between the Institute and in the library.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, when you talk about President Kennedy's all too short time in the White House, I was very close, very very close for many many years with a guy named Dave Powers, who was his right hand guy. If you've you know, read the history of the Kennedy campaigns, Dave Powers and Billy Sutton were there when he ran for Congress, and Dave Powers was with him every day until November twenty second, nineteen sixty three. So it's it's it's just it's very it's very interesting. My guest is David Irbin. I want to talk to you about being a commentator on CNN, and sure, you're in a minority position of CNN. I don't know how many my listeners will recognize you from CNN, but UH, to be really honest with you, but but we'll we'll talk about that. I also want to talk about what's going on with the Trump administration because uh, and and I've been critical of the Trump administration. I just think that they're maybe biting off a little bit more than they can chew. I suspect you're going to disagree with me on some of this, but I think the royal of the stock market, there may be some areas where we agree on not that. Okay, I'm not a Republican, David Urban, Yeah, I'm a conservative. I'm a conservative and Uh, okay, good good place for me. Yeah, well that's it, you know. And I and I have a lot of friends on both sides of the aisle, and uh, as I say, we should have a good conversation, and I'm going to get some of my listeners involved here as well. My guest is David Irban. He is the newest director at the Ted Senator Edward Kennedy uh Institute for the US Senate, a fabulous institutution out on Columbia Point, right next to the JFK. Kennedy Library Kennedy Presidential Library. I would recommend that you make a day of it and visit both both locations because they are both wonderful, you know, wonderful institutions in our community, memorializing the political history of the twentieth century and with Senator Kennedy's case, into the twenty first century. We're back with David Urban. If you'd like to call and ask him anything about what it's like behind the scenes at CNN, You're more than welcome to do that. We'll talk a little politics and talk some issues as well. Back on Night Side with David Urban. Coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now, back to Dan Ray Live from the window World to night Side Studios. On WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: We're talking with David Urban. He's the newest most recently elected nominated member of the Edward M. Kennedy isitude for the United States Senate. But you have had besides the military career, you have been an early supporter of Donald Trump, going back I guess to twenty fifteen, twenty and sixteen. Uh. And you also are a regular contributor on CNN. What's that likes the panel? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, well usually usually, as you point out, usually the conservative on the panel. Look, I'm grateful that the seeing the folks at CNN give me the time to get on there and trying to make you know, trying to make my base. I think it's a you know what, what I think Americans want to see is kind of a marketplace of ideas. They'd like to hear both sides. They don't want to see Jerry Springer with you know, people arguing and yelling at each other. I think constructive informative debate is helpful public in public discourse, in the public square. That much more on on many shows, you can tune in and get your your bias affirmed on whatever network you'd like. But I think CNN of the at least makes an effort right and trying to kind of be kind of down the middle on on on on these things. It gives myself and others, other conservative and Republicans and opportunity to go on there and make the case. Judging by the by Twitter feed, I must. I don't think I do a very good job most of the time because a lot of the people don't seem convinced. But I try to be respectful and and present the other side. I'm hopeful at some point some people the message gets through, because I think it's important. It's important to here here from disparate views and and uh and kick it around. You know you you're you pointed out earlier about President Kennedy. You know, President John F. Kennedy couldn't get elected in today's Republic, I mean today's Democratic Party, right it is. It's a different place. I mean, if you look at talk about Joe Kennedy. I have great deal of respect for Joe Kennedy, and and he lost in Massachusetts because he wasn't liberal enough, you know, and and and you know there is if you look and you know, I am friends with Kim Ryan Democrat, Tim Ryan, who great congressman from you know, from Ohio with Kurston, Cinema of Joe Mansion, with a lot of common sense Democrats, and and you know, they're kind of leaving the party. They left the Senate, they're leaving the party. They lose in primaries, and I'm fearful that that middle and both parties. You know, there's there's not many quote unquote moderate Northeast Republicans anymore like there used to be. John Hines and Ile Inspector and others, John Chafey, you know, just to name a few, dwindled away as well. And the party's kind of gone to there there there there, they're neutral corners to you know, fight for another round. But I think America served best by by that middle right. And unfortunately, what we have every ten years a census, and then you have a redistricting process by which congressional seats are drawn safer and safer in America. So have the four hundred and thirty five members of Congress, you have roughly, you know, thirty thirty five seats that are competitive maybe out of four hundred and those in the Congress, then you are more afraid of losing in a primary than you are in a general election. So that doesn't really help, you know, bipartisanship if you are if you're more afraid of losing in a primary than you are and signing onto legislation with a you know, with somebody in a different party, that may be a good piece of legislation, because you fear getting primaried. That's not good for America. So we have to figure that out. We have to figure out what we do and how we address that. Because those congressmen then grow up to the senators, right, those those partisan congressmen grow up the centers, and they're tempered somewhat by the nature of their state. So you know, you get in these big states and may have you know, a little bit more of a blue tint to that, and the senators become purple because because they have to survive, I represent their their constituency.
Speaker 2: So well, we started here in Massachusetts, not only in the Kennedy market fight. You know, Joe Kennedy, in my opinion, is a liberal Democrat, and it was basically the progressives on the far end of that party who turned against him, uh and re elected you know, Senator Marquee, who's also a friend of mine. But in the Democratic side, what happened to Congressman Mike Capauana up here shortly after what happened to Murphy in New York. He just was blindsided in the primary. This twenty years of his experience in Congress. Uh And certainly there were times when Mike Capajuana was my friend, fire breathing liberal. I mean, you didn't want to get into an argument Mike Capawana because sharp as attack and and and very committed to his views. What I do on my show, David is I tried to have both sides. I'm competing every night from eight to midnight, not only again at CNN, but I'm competing against Fox. And there are a lot of people who like call it. They like to sit in their silos, whether it's a Fox silence.
Speaker 3: Well and also and also people are getting their news in different places. Right, people are getting the news on TikTok, on Twitter, on their on substack. Right, people are consuming news differently these days. Radio talk radio is still very popular, fortunately for you. But the way that news is assimilated and you know, when people when the President Trump did his you know, address to Congress the other night. Nobody probably watched it for the entire you know, hour and thirty minutes, but people consumed it and snippets here and there and so other than you and myself and maybe some of your listeners, right, maybe listen to the whole thing. But most people today just get little sound bites and they make their decisions based upon snippets of what they see and hear, but not they don't consume, you know, five thousand word Nobody writes five thousand word articles anymore. Nobod writes big articles anymore. Anywhere. You don't see that newspapers are dying. And it's it's really interesting how I don't want to say democratized, but how democratized news has become. And the interesting part is the velocity at which it travels. Right, And so when you know, you said you're a reporter for a very long time. You know, you used to be able to work on a story for a while. Now it's the the urge is to get it out quickly. You may not be one hundred percent correct, but to get it out quickly, to be first rather than invest. And it's just it's very interesting. I see this a lot and you kind of have to. You have to be very careful when you consume and what you consume, and if you're not educated about it, you know, you see so much misinformation out there. I think that's a real challenge for for everybody, everybody is interested in the political process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I asked listeners who will call and they'll say something that is that's insane or crazy, and I will say, simply, where'd you see that? You know? And I show it on Twitter, uh or and it's like, oh, well, that's a good source. And I have most trouble with the people on the far right and the far left, which I'm sure you probably do as well. And what I'm trying to do is make people if possible. I want my ten to invite as many people as possible. I had an email exchange today with a guy up in New Hampshire who is very far right wing, and he was upset that I was a matter of fact, I can't find it real quickly. I should have had it in my hand available. But he was upset that I had told him not to say certain things. He would call up and say crazy things and I'd say, that's not true. Well, that's my opinion and say, well, you could have your opinion, you can't have your facts and you don't have right to facts. And anyway, let's do this. We got to take a break for ninth third here, I want to open this conversation up to our audience and give them a chance to talk with you. I maybe will take one more or just a few minutes and talk about what's going on in Washington, d C. Obviously we've watched the stock market the last few days really take a dive. I was appalled at what went on in the Oval office the other day with Zelinsky and I just so you could pull your thoughts together. I attribute that to some really bad staff work on behalf of the Trump staff. Those documents should have been signed, sealed, and delivered before Zolensky set foot in the White House, and I don't think that helped the president. So I just would love I know that you're a big supporter, and I want to get your point of view, and I want my to incorporate the audience as well. My guest David Rban he's the managing director of a group called BGR, the BGR Group. I didn't look that up. Is that a financial organization political organization.
Speaker 3: Because no, no, it's a it's a bipartisan by cameral lobbying government affairs shop in Washington and the third or fourth largest in Washington, depending on on on how you measure things. And wait when the snapshots taken. So founded by a couple of gentlemen. The initials used to be Haley Barber from who was the governor of Mississippi and the former chairman of rn C and h the founder of the Republican Governors Association, who's one heck of a guy. Ed Rodgers another just outstanding individual working in the Reagan White House, and uh and Landy Griffin and they were all friends and started this firm. Uh, you know, many years ago, so still going strong.
Speaker 2: And I know I know your roots are in Western Pennsylvania. And when he's talk about the Reagan White House, I interviewed President Reagan many many times. Uh, and uh was a huge Ronald Reagan fan. Okay, Uh, did you happen to know Frank Donatelli, who was another Western Pennsylvania guy.
Speaker 3: I sure do, I do know, Frank. I am. It's by Pittsburgh's like Boston, right everybody there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, well, Frank Frank and I. We're we're going friends for over fifty years, so that's that'll tell you a little bit about where I come from. We've been friends since we both were in law school. Actually different law schools, but both when we were in law school. But take it break my guess. David Urban, Managing director of BGR Group in Washington, also the newest member of the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate, the newest member of the board of directors, very active in the Trump campaign, and also a CNN commentator. So he is an individual who has lots of contacts throughout the political system. If you want to ask a question, throw the numbers out six one, seven, four ten thirty six one seven, nine, three thirty. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside, be Back talking politics with David Urban.
Speaker 1: Here on Nightside night Side with Dan Ray on w BZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: This is David Urban, a CNN contributor, but for our purposes tonight, the newest board of directors of the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the US Senate. I know that you have been with President Trump to thick and thin. We're about sixty days into his second term. Boys, they're doing a lot, are they. My opinion is they should slow it down. That they're biting off more than they could chew. So tell me why I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen, I think that they I think this administration feels that they have a limited amount of time. They have eighteen months for all intents and purposes, right to get their agenda through. And every day that they're not moving forward with something of the day that's lost and you know they're not going to ever get back. You know, this isn't you know Trump two point zero. It's not just a redo of the first administration. It is a completely divident different administration. I think that the you know, they have the House and Senate actually kind of working together. You saw, you know, we have this continuing resolution to fund the government runs out of money, right, they kicked the can down the road. I think Republic has made a mistake. I think Republic has made a mistake in the last administration by not making not passing spending bills during the Biden administration. If I were the Speaker, I would have I would have gotten these bills down and got them off the desk, cleared the cleared the plate for all these other all the other important thing issues they're dealing with, like debt ceiling and tax increases and the tax bill which is going to be coming up, and and a school of other things. And so unfortunately now they have to pass this continuing resolution to fund the government for through it. You know, it expires and on the fourteenth, but they're going to they will pass this in the House and Senate, and they'll get it and move on. They have to re revisit at some point in the future. So I think that you know, the agenda that the president's undertaking is aggressive, but you know what's getting motion notices is really Elon Musk's doze in them to reduce the size of government. Right, So, as you and your listeners may know, a lot of the people who have to implement these things, assistant secretaries, deputy assistant secretaries, under secretaries, they haven't not only have they not been named yet, but they're not even well they're not sworn in. They haven't been sworn in, or they haven't had their hearings that they A lot of them haven't just been named. So a lot of these agencies are pretty hollow still so a lot of this thing is a lot of these things you're seeing are kind of headline grabbing, but they're going to take some time to get accomplished. So all the things that you're saying on you know, the funding cuts and reductions in personnel, they're going to be challenging courts. They may have to have some legislative action to back them up. Some other people are gonna have to get in place to actually effectuate these because currently of acting you know, assistant secretaries and deputies and secretary who may may not be up for getting these things done. So I think moving with alacrity is uh is a good thing. I don't think, you know, on some things, I think it misfire clearly, and there's been some reports that that those folks have this reported things they have to go back and clean it up. But I think the American people, I think the American people are excited about change. They want Listen, the government's too big. Whether you're Democrat or Republican, the government's just too big. It's too it's too unwieldy. It doesn't it's not responsive to people in you know, in Framingham. They're not you know, they you may think that the federal government's helpful, but it really is kind of MUCKs up the work for a lot. You know. Being a Republican and in the true sense of the word right, you believe in limited government right in states, right, so that the local governments, whether it's in Braintree or Wellesley or Weston or Framingham or wherever where the Lesseners live, they should have first bite at the apple and sixing problems. Then the state should be the next the next kind of level and find the federal government should be there for you know, safe skies and defense and clean air, clean water kind of things, and shouldn't be meddling in all these kind of really local issues. And what the Trump administration doing is trying to write that right size of government that's been bloated for for generations, right and trying to do it pretty quickly. So we'll see if they're successful. I think the American people, if you look at the just kind of snapshot polls, I think they're pretty pretty pleased with that. But you know, you every day things change, right that the stock market's kind of taking a turn here because of tariffs, right, which are not something that the President campaigned on. Super aggressively. He mentioned that he's gonna he's gonna have tariffs and kind of level the playing field with our economic competitors. But now you know, the market has not viewed that favorably. And we'll see if that's something that's can adjust. I think the President thinks that he can have some There might be some short term pain for longer term gain in terms of reshoring American manufacturing and right sizing some of those things. That we'll see how the market reacts, and if it continues to react negatively, maybe the President and the administration to rethink some of those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's talk. I was on the Dog's website today and one of the things that I'm looking for, perhaps because of just my personality, I'm looking for real specificity. So, for example, I noticed two things today which I don't think my audience is aware of, but I just want to mention them real quickly to make my point. Secretary of Brook Brook Rawlins, she's the Secretary of Agriculture. She canceled a six hundred thousand dollar grand to study menstrual cycles in transgender men. Yeah, I mean, I mean, okay, so that we can leave We could just leave that there, and let's let that. Let that simmer, and then the VA canceled a fifty six thousand dollars contract to water eight plants for five years.
Speaker 3: This is I did see that. That was I did. So those are the kind of thing great American people, you know, who are struggling to pay their bills, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but by the way, struggling to fill their gas tanks. Yeah, hold on just one second. I want to do the math for people.
Speaker 5: That's fourteen hundred dollars per plant per year, and Doe says they will now water those plants free of charge.
Speaker 2: I made the vall water those plants free of charge. I'm a little concerned about the the comments, and I'd like to get your reaction to this and help me out what the president when he's talked about, you know, one hundred and I don't know, you know, fifty thirty seven thousand people over the age of one hundred and twenty whatever the number is that he talked about, who are security rules. I understand that is indicative of them an efficiency, but but I think that it's better to deal on these specific concrete examples of absurdity because my suspicion is that's probably a coding error. To be really honest with you that, Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I think I think I think you're correct. I think that's exactly what they found out right, Some of these some of the three hundred year old people were simply fat fingered and they weren't actually receiving benefits. There were just people who were who didn't exist, and who's whose you know, things were put in there. But listen, you know you do here And I'm so that is your point is well taken on me. We need to make sure these things we we we attach real specific issues and examples. Because one of the things that I heard it on Musk say at a press conference was that, you know, the Department of Treasury issues you know checks without like a subject line. Right, there's no like the checks just squad the door. No one really knows why they're going, right, And so so so that part is I think they really need to kind of understand there should be you know, when it check goes out the door from the US government, people should really be able to track it and know what's going on. Right. The fact that the Department of Defense can't pass it on and I don't know if you've your viewers or you have seen this in the last administration to sit down John Stewart did with then the Deputy Secretary of Defense, the number two persons at DoD where she kind of laughed at John Stewart because he was saying, you know, look, you guys are spending nine hundred billion dollars a year. You can't you don't know where your tanks are. And she's like, oh, she kind of laughed it off. And and but that's serious. It's serious business. When when the government's spending that much money, they should be able to account for it. These are people listen when you know Robert Kennedy Junior. I listened to him a couple of lots during the debates, and he had pointed about interesting statistic that some there was some the number he'd reference to something like fifty six percent of Americans can't put their hands on a thousand dollars tomorrow. If they woke up and needed a thousand bucks, they don't have it. And they're checking their savings account. They don't have a thousand dollars liquid to go take care of their lives. That statistic should be really, you know, troubling for for Americans, because when you when the government is taking so much of your money and your check engine comes on, it's a crisis for your family. Maybe the government is getting too much, right, Maybe we should let people keep more of their paycheck. Maybe we should figure out how to right size the government so they're not so big. And I think that's what the Trump administration is trying to do. And whether they're doing it, you know, a little too aggressively, it'll all listen, the courts and the Congress, it'll come out in the wash. I suspect that, as you said, a lot of these specific things, while they're small, right, they add up. And I suspect that, you know, there will be some reduction, but a lot of things will be restored because the courts won't let them go through or the Congress won't let them go through the cuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I hear that. But I do think that the specificity of is what people can identify.
Speaker 3: With, and it makes it makes the point much more, much more realistic, and it drives it home when you're talking about you know, museums or in mole rats and people spending money on silly things. Your your listeners and viewers at home, and people think like, wow, what could we do, what can we do in our community if we had that money here and for and.
Speaker 2: For example one of them and then I got to go to break here quickly. But one of them, I think it was two billion dollars for the former Democratic candidate for governor down in UH, down in Georgia Abrams, right, yes, Stacy Abrams. Now I really want to see that. I want to know what that What are we talking about there?
Speaker 3: The figure was monumental E that's money out of E p A with the E p A shoved that out the door. You you saw the one the Biden administration officials said, it was like they're throwing gold bars off the Titanic. Right. That doesn't that doesn't that doesn't make that shouldn't make any American right feel comfortable with their government, right and how they're how they're being good stewards of your money.
Speaker 2: Just so you know, I watched the indictments out of our federal UH Federal Justice Department office here in Boston, the US Attorney's office, and there are a lot of people who get indicted for some abuse UH and and some of it is UH. They're all legitimate indictments. But I'll tell you if you're talking about someone getting two billion dollars that needs to be investigated. What was that money for, where did it go, what was served? Uh? And how much of it actually got you know, on for the mission that it was.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you're sounding crazy. You're sounding crazy right now, man, I don't know. I'm very trumpy in there.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, I'm I'm I think at this point it's time to figure out who got what and uh and if if there's fraud, if there's if it if it reaches criminality. That's why we have a justice. Robert. Let's take a break. You and I will come back and we'll wrap this up. If someone like to jump on board and say hi to David Urban. If you've seen him on CNN, you certainly know at this point where he's coming from.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He is a terrific spokesperson for the cause that many of you support. Six two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine, three ten thirty back right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on w b Z the news radio.
Speaker 2: My guest is David Urban. He is the newest director of the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the US Senate. He's also a CNN contributor and a I'm going to say Republican, David Urban, I assume.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dan absolutely been a Republican, been a Republican for for a long long time. Dan.
Speaker 2: So let me let me introduce you to another guy named Dave. He's a listener, regular listener in San Antonio, Texas. And I'm going to sneak him in here. David san Antonio, say ahead to David Irban, Go ahead, Dave.
Speaker 4: How are you doing? I uh, I agree with a lot of works, say and uh and and those So Donald Trump did say those social.
Speaker 3: Security checks were being cashed, that was elderly peaked.
Speaker 4: Some of them.
Speaker 3: I don't listen. I'm sure some of them probably were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think there were too many people over one hundred and twenty years of age are cash and social scurity tech stage.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, if they are cashing, I want to lie in that where they live.
Speaker 2: And what they're doing, yes, sir, absolutely. Or if someone has continued to accept cash checks that were made out to their grandfather or their great grandmother, that's criminality, folks. I was I did not realize this. But my understanding and I could be wrong here, Dave, either one of you can respond to this. My understanding is that funeral home directors are obligated. Someone told me to notify so Security of the passing of an individual.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I know that first hit. Unfortunately, my mother passed away last year, and one of the things they do is they fill out the paperwork and they send it in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I probably did that for my own parents, but but I had forgotten it. And of course that is the way in which the flow check should stop, so I.
Speaker 4: Should it should But again, they stopped my wife's check immediately when she died.
Speaker 2: Okay, so, but she could be still on that list, you know, on the Social Security list. They need to clean these lists as well. Then there's some housekeeping as well. I've noticed another one here from the Department of Government Deficiency Weekly credit Card Update. I guess they have. They have basically canceled a hundred or deactivated one hundred and forty six thousand credit cards government credit cards that are activated.
Speaker 3: I mean, so there's there's yeah there. Listen again, the federal workforce. There are lots of good people who work for the federal government. Right, there are lots of good people, but then there's also there's also people who probably aren't up the standard. And unfortunately, the way the civil service system is designed, it's that you know, you can't it's it's like your tenured. Once you're employed, it is very very very very difficult to fire somebody, even for cause. And so unfortunately, what's happening in the current Doge movement is the only people you can really get rid of in the federal employment system are what are deemed probationary employees, So people who are been hired recently. When I mean recently, it could be two or three years they've been hired, and so you could still terminate those people pretty easily, and that's what's happening, and unfortunately, some good people are being let go because that is the only way to call the herd and this huge federal workforce is to take these kind of measures which may not be you know, it's maybe a little more meat clean than scalpel, but the way the current system is designed, you'd have to pass the legislation to reform the civil service system, which, as you know, is that is not going to happen. With sixty votes. You need sixty votes, right to get it done. You're not going to get it through going back to the Edward Kennedy Institute of Buy Partnership nature there. Right, You've got to get people who are all rolled in the same boat to agree that there are problems that any time you go to try to change a system like that, that's that's that big. You're gonna have lots of pushback from afts, me and others who are you know, who have have you know, a vested interest in it, and so unfortunately Trump administration has left to do this with a meat clean rather than the scalpel.
Speaker 2: So all right, David san Antonio, thanks to check it in. David against the Dave, I'm up against the ten o'clock news, So I got to let you go. But I appreciate your call very much. You can explain that to him, okay, and Dave Urban, David Urban, thank you very much. I thoroughly enjoyed the hour. The hour flu Yeah, I suspect we have a lot of mutual friends in our in a comparative rolodex is Okay, if you.
Speaker 3: Still have a role, have me back on we will well, we'll talk some more.
Speaker 2: I got your number, and we'll as long as c and then we'll let you come back on. I'll have you back. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed the hour, Dave David, thank you.
Speaker 2: All Right, everyone here comes to ten o'clock News. We're going to be back, going to talk about energy prices in Massachusetts.