Speaker 1: You must thank you very much for being here, sir.
Speaker 2: We appreciate it's not hot to be here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really great, honor.
Speaker 1: Well, we're really excited for you to help us kick off our intellectual theme, Human in the Machine, which is leadership on the emerging battlefield, and we want to make sure that the academy the cadets are focused on not tomorrow but the next twenty thirty forty years. And underlying the entire theme is an emphasis on the importance of preparing cadets for future warfare and really where humans and machines intersect. It's as if your background was made for this theme. However, Sure, I actually talked to quite a few people and they really don't know who you are, so neither do I. Yeah, so I thought I should tell people a little bit about your bio. Who are we really? Yeah, you'll make a company that figures it out, sir. All right, So if you don't know, if you don't know, and this is ridiculous, of course you know, but I'm gonna do Anyways. Elon Musk sitting next to me, co founded and leads or leads x Tesla SpaceX Neurolink. Here's my favorite as an academic the boring company. That's good.
Speaker 2: That was good.
Speaker 3: Come on, I thought it as a joke.
Speaker 1: Yeah it did. That's real. That's awesome. By the way, you have a new company also, XAI. And that's all of them, unless you started one this morning. I don't know about I'm not sure right, but basically what this means is everybody in this room has the opportunity, based on these companies, to drive a futuristic electric truck through a gigantic underground tunnel while using a digital connection in their brain to start a rocket, while simultaneously getting updates on Army football. His innovations have revolutionized electric vehicles, batteries, space exploration, advanced human machine interactions, made information instant, access to information instantaneous, and have starting to help integrate AI throughout our daily lives. After the convocation, I'm hoping to have a little bit of time so you can give me some personal tips, because somehow you have founded and lead multiple companies. You're a father to multiple children, and I'm exhausted after two hours of coaching one's kids sport. That's sure, So whatever you can do to help me out, I'd appreciate it. So we have cadets and staff and faculty who can speak on multiple disciplinary perspectives that would interest you. Drone swarms, electric batteries and molecular brain science, engineering, psychology, philosophy, law, Chinese language. But that's just the start. I think this one particularly relevant because we can even cover the intense science of boxing with our world class Department of Physical Education, just in case, you never know, some random head of state challenges you to a fight. You know, I did challenge Putin to one on one combat. Did you take it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: And then I was like, I was like, I actually on you know, the x FK Twitter, I said, I hereby challenge Vladimir Putin to one on one combat, and I made sure to use his name in Russian cerrillic. And then I said, and the stakes saw Ukraine and the use of Ukraine and Ukrainian curillic and uh and then and then and then the people thought I wasn't serious, and like, no, I'm absolutely serious. I mean, he he does have he has ah, you know he's good at judo. I hear and uh, I think would be I mean the paper view and loan on that would be incredible.
Speaker 1: I could get everybody in here to start channing twomen in or one line leaves tumin in or one man leaves.
Speaker 3: So but I'd watch that and I'm in it.
Speaker 1: So I will tell you that our thirty first Superintendent Douglas MacArthur once said, there's no substitute for victory. Yeah, and when it when it comes to fighting, it's not just our military, but it's also the whole country and the whole industrial base. Yeh, that's so important. And you've innovated across so many areas, whether it's beneath O's surface to outer space and everything in between. And we're again truly truly grateful for you to be here as we start to talk about some of these some of these things that you've been working on. As you look into the audience, I just want to give you a bit of context. A lot of these are the leaders who will face our nation's most complex and challenges going forward. We have our cadets who will serve as army officers, leading hundreds and eventually thousands of soldiers through this complexity that we talk about. And we also have our faculty and who are preparing them to do just what I just said, lead through these complex situations, and many of our faculty will also re enter the army and be required to lead. Thank you for taking the time to help us think deeper and inform us as we start to inform our cadets on how we can be successful not just fighting, but winning in the contemporary and future battle space. So let me start with this broad question, how do you see warfare transforming in the future.
Speaker 3: I mean, the biggest effect I think by far as AI and drones. So the next well, in fact, the current war in Ukraine is very much a drone war already. It's sort of a contest between Russia and China to see who can deploy the most number of drones. Now, if there's a major power war, it's very much going to be a drone war. It's it's going to be drones and AI. And you know it's a sort of I mean, I do worry about the existential risk of AI, which is that if you if you employ AI and drones, do you do you go down this path where eventually you get to terminator. You know, try to avoid that. That'd be good, that would be good, minimize the terminator risk. But but I mean, essentially, if your are when you're when you're making military drones, you are making terminators, and when you're I think you're you're somewhat be forced into giving localized the dron localized AI because if the AI is far away, it can't control as well as localized AI.
Speaker 1: So what do you mean by localized the.
Speaker 3: Meaning it's autonomous scaling machine.
Speaker 1: Completely autonomous.
Speaker 3: Well, you give it the okay, yeah, in a particular arena, and it's just and it.
Speaker 1: Goes with certain parameters. Yeah, hopefully do you think our you think our adversaries will have those same type of concerns or limitations.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean it depends on how much existential risk there is in these wars. So if it's if it's a regional war, I think it'll be more temperate. If it goes beyond a regional war, then it's all bets roll and you know, and then you just started playing things that you really wouldn't want it to fly. So hopefully that doesn't happen, but.
Speaker 1: You would, but you said it, and I would agree that if you just look at the contemporary conflicts that are taking place, you would agree that machines aren't just disrupting war fora they're now commonplace.
Speaker 2: H drones, drones are going to be overwhelmingly the.
Speaker 3: What what matters in any in any between, you know, any powers that have significant technology. It's so my personal belief is like that, you really it'll actually be my I think probably too dangerous to have humans at the front. It's it's growns, it's grones at the front.
Speaker 1: It's too dangerous, don't miss because of the lethality. Then it's too dangerous to have humans at the front.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean, I mean if you've seen in some of the computer controlled sniper rifles, I mean, they just don't miss. So you're in the you're you're finding a machine that it's gonna you know, aim with micro level accuracy and.
Speaker 2: Never gets tired.
Speaker 1: So how do you think the United States should be levering technology to further a national defense?
Speaker 3: Well, I think we probably need to invest in drones. The the United States is strong in terms of the technology of the items, but the production rate is low, so it's it's a it's a small number of units relatively speaking. But yeah, but with basically I think there's there's a there's a there's.
Speaker 2: A production rate issue.
Speaker 3: Like the you like, how fast can you make drones? If you say there's a drone conflict, the outcome of that during conflict will be how many drones does each side have in that particular skirmish at times of kill ratio? So if you've got you can have a if let's say we would the United States would have a durn set of drones that have have a high kill ratio, But then the other side has four more drones. If you've got a two to one kill ratio, the other side has four times many drones, You're still gonna lose.
Speaker 1: Do you think our industrial base can scale to make the volume of drones that you're you're just you're you're.
Speaker 2: You know talking about. I think that's that's going to be the same.
Speaker 3: The biggest challenge that that is it can scale, but it is not currently scaling.
Speaker 1: Why would that be?
Speaker 3: I think the procurement is still I mean, this is I mean, I read a lot of military history and and actually like the thing that I go to sleep with is using an audio book on on on military history on of one kind or another. So I find the subject very interesting. And one of the things that tends to happen is that countries pretty much are geared up to fight the last war, not the next war. And it's it's hard to change. I mean, you look at the the uniforms at the start of World War One and the tactics and strategies they use. The sought of World War One, they were not significantly different from.
Speaker 2: Than Napoleonic era.
Speaker 3: You know, the the French room watching it to war with brightly colored uniforms look great.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's not what you want to be.
Speaker 3: You know, when somebody starting to pointing, you don't want a great look in uniform. You want to you want to inflement planes in So there's a tenancy to be gearing up to fight the last war in the last one of the US four is kind of the Cold War, I guess. So, uh, it usually takes like some kind of shock factor to adjust. I would recommend adjusting now. And and you are seeing some startups like Andrel and a few others that are.
Speaker 2: Have different mindset.
Speaker 3: But it's really it's it's it's it's gonna be can you make a lot of drones? And what's the kill ratio? That's what it comes down to.
Speaker 1: So there was recently a report that said that President Lensky. By February twenty twenty five, there'll be a million drones produced by the Ukrainian So it seems like it's doable. And this might be a process question. And we'll talk about process in a second. But as you were, as you were just talking, I was thinking about and you said that you can't have humans at the front, and so you haven't created a company that's solved aging yet, have you?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, so one hundred years.
Speaker 2: I wonder whether we should solve aging. There's a ques you know.
Speaker 1: That's a great point. Yeah, I'd like to wrap it up sometimes right, well it's.
Speaker 3: Like hot, yeah, how long do you want to putin?
Speaker 2: And Kim joguntlove that's a great point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But let's say you go first. Let's say you go forward to fifty hundred years. How do you envision this evolution? And I think this might get to neurolink. How do you see this evolution between the human who maybe can't be at the front any longer, the technologies at the front yet keeping them integrated and synchronized, Like how does that? How is that going to work? In your mind?
Speaker 3: I mean, canmunications is essential? Like it is actually very important to have space based communications that are it cannot be intercepted, which is which is starlink.
Speaker 2: Stallink offers Staalink is.
Speaker 3: Starlink is the backbone of the Ukrainian military communication system because it can't be blocked by the Russians, essentially the only thing that can't be so on the front lines, all the fiber connections are cut, the cell towers are blown up, and the geostationary satellite links are jammed. The only thing that is jammed is starlink, so so the only thing and then GPS is also jammed. The GPS signal is very faint, but stallink can offer location capability as well, so it is a strategic advantage that's very significant. And when you're trying to communicate with the drones, the drones need to like basically they need to know where they are and they need to receive instructions. So if you don't have communications and positioning, then the drawings dont work. So that's that's that's quite important. It's essential.
Speaker 1: But do you find it important that there's still that that communication between the human and the machine or the drum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, and there's like.
Speaker 3: It's a different question of like, where are things like right now versus where we'll things be in ten years. But I have to say I do look at the future with some trepidation. I have to have some deliberate suspension of disbelief to sleep sometimes because I think the we're headed into a pretty wild future. And I'm n actually an optimistic person. So yeah, but but AI is going to be so good, including a localized AI. I mean, at the count rates, you'll have, you know, some of that sort of rock level AI probably that can be run on a drone, and so you could literally say, you know, this is the equipment that the drone needs to destroy. Going to that thing and recognize what equipment needs to be destroyed and take it out.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of your work of Neurolink, though, is to because what you're saying is that AI is going to quickly surpass, at least in your estimation, the humans ability to control it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Okay, I mean I'd like to say no, but the answer is yes.
Speaker 1: So how first off, how long until you think that happens? Before that the AI has has evolved to the point where and I you know, the AIS can start working together even relying on computers like in a d Hall old way, and therefore surpasses the ability for the human to be able to influence how it's working.
Speaker 3: Well, I think humans will be able to influence how it's working for a long time. This is an esoteric subject that what really goes into pretty well speculation. I think it's sort of agree that the AIS, I think, will want humans as a source of will. So if you think of how the human mind works, there's limit system and the cortex. You're sort of your kind of base instincts and the sort of thinking and planning part of your brain. But you also have a tertiary layer already, which is that all of the electronics that you use, your phones, computers, applications, so you're already sort of have three layers of intelligence, but all of those the cortex and the machine intelligence, you're sort of cybernetic third layer. It's trying to make the Limbic system happy, because the Olympic system is.
Speaker 2: A source a source of will.
Speaker 3: So there's some you know, it might be that that the AIS just want to make the humans happy. And part of what your links trying to do is improve the communication bandwidth between the cortex and the digital tertiary layer. Because our bandwidth band output bandwidth of a human is less than one but per second per day, there's eighty six thousand, four hundred seconds in a day. You don't output eighty six thousand, four hundred tokens. So yes, it's like the number of words that I can say at this forum you saying just like, just look at it from an information theory standpoint, how much information am I able to convey? Not that much because I can only say a few number of words. And in order to in order to convey an idea, I have to take a concept in my head. I have to compress it down to a small number of words. Try to aspirationally model how you would decompress those words into concepts in your own mind. That's communication. So your brain is doing a lot of compression decompression and then has a very small output bandwidth. Neuralink can increase that bandwidth by several orders and magnitude. And also you don't have to spend as much time compressing thoughts into a small number of words. You can do conceptual clepathy. That is the idea behind your links. So it is intended to be a mitigation against AI existential risk.
Speaker 1: You talk about alignment, Can you explain what you mean by alignment to help everyoners.
Speaker 3: In Yeah, just is AI going to do things that make civilization better, make people happy or will it be contrary to uh humanity? Will will will it foster humanity or not will be against humanity? So obviously we want an AI that will fuster humanity. I think you developed me an AI to fuster humanity because I've thought about AI safety for a long time. I think I've had probably one thousand hours of discussion about this, and my ultimate conclusion is that the best course for AI safety is to have an AI that is maximally truth seeking and also curious.
Speaker 2: And if you have both of those things, I think.
Speaker 3: It will foster it will naturally foster humanity because you will want to see how humanity develops. Humanity is more interesting than not humanity, you know.
Speaker 2: I like Mars.
Speaker 3: I'm a big fan of oas obviously, and I think we should become a multi planet civilization. Like that's that's very important that the purpose of SpaceX is to make life multiplanetary. That's the reason I created the company, and and that's the reason that we have the starship development in South Texas. That rocket is far, far too big for just satellites. It's it's an intendant to establish life on Mars, not just that, you know, said astronauts there briefly, but to build a city on Mars. And that's ultimately self sustaining. So but getting back to AI, the if you've got a true c A I that is actually curious. My neural net, my biological ural net says that that's going to be the safest outcome because it's, like I said, wildlike Mars. You could Mars is not as interesting as Earth because there's no human civilization there, or thought of another way, if you're if you're if you want to render Mars, Rendering Mars is pretty it's basically red red rocks on a looks kind of like some parts of Arizona.
Speaker 2: You know, there's not a lot of people.
Speaker 3: It's it's just it's that's it's easy to render. It's rendered like to Mars. But but but rendering human civilization much more, much hotter, mutch, more complex, much more interesting. And so I think I'm curious to the taking a I would fuster the humanity and want to see where it goes.
Speaker 1: But that relies on requires trust between the human and the machine. And that's where I want to ask you a question on this. So the army leaders in the Army are no strangers to implement any new technologies. Think about how GPS, for example, transform navigation. It'd be unheard of not to use GPS today, Bhen I was a lieutenant, no one used GPS. So recently I was watching this incredibly important realistic documentary called Top Gun Maverick. Yeah, and in it, I learned it's really good. It's really good.
Speaker 3: It's it's I mean, if you don't want to think about the plot too closely, but it's in a great movie.
Speaker 1: It's a fantastic movie. I learned that Tom Cruise is actually not an actor. He's like a pilot apparently. But he taught me something really important in it. He says it's about the pilot, not the plane. And right, that's right before she defeats a fifth generation fighter with a nineteen seventy fourteen.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, So I mean, just go with a biplane.
Speaker 1: There you go. Tom Cruise could do it. But in it, you know, it's it's a bit of a cynicism or a cynical view of the need for technology. It's like, hey, technology is a perflus. Humans can do it, but we know that's I don't. I don't question Tom Cruise a lot. I don't ever question Tom Cruise. I'm just kidding, But I guess the question is how do we get humans to be able to trust the machines because there is a lot of stories. For example, we just recently had a conversation where where a pilot patch pilots we're given new technology and they're like, we're not going to use it because we don't really trust it, So they use it, And so how do you get the how do you when new technology is implemented, we have to be able to trust, especially if it's going to be the difference maker to win. So how do we do that? How do we build the trust between the human and the machine?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't, I don't. I think we shouldn't just automatically trust these things. I mean, I think you want you want to test it out. You're gonna do a lot of testing and see how it actually works in a conflict that's small scale, and then scale it up if if it's effective. But yeah, I mean I have to say like, I'm not sure, for example, that there is a unfortunately this is not air force gathering, but there's there's not No, I'm not sure there's a lot of opportunity for fighter pilots because I think the if you've got a drown swarm coming at you, well, what the pilots of liability in the fire plane? To be honest, So you know, if you say that you compare a drone versus a fighter plane, how easy is it to make a drone?
Speaker 2: You could? Could? You can?
Speaker 3: It's an orderomatitude maybe a hundred at least at least ten, maybe a hundred times easier to make the drone, and you can afford to sacrifice the drones, whereas the pilots. You don't want to sacrifice the pilots. So my guess is that actually the age of human piloted fighter aircraft is coming to an end.
Speaker 1: If that's the case, then there's a there's a question that is oftentimes debated and law and ethics debates about killer robots. Yes, and really are these things that should we be willing to lean so forward with the technology that we start to supplant the human pilot with the technology and where is that go And so what are your thoughts as we talk about technology replacing humans on the battlefield.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess what I'm saying is that the at the front of the battle lines is going to be just drones and any humans quote in the crossfire are going to get will be killed.
Speaker 1: So it's a it's a it's then then it's irrelevant. It's just going to be that. It's just going to be the way military operations take place. There isn't going to be if you make the choice to be there, then you're you're at a significant disadvantage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think it's to just think like you got drones that that you know are constantly scanning, they're scanning and infrared scanning, invisible that there's thousands, thousands of the Motanza thousands you mentioned million that Ukraine is going to make.
Speaker 2: This is good. You've got a million drones coming at you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you do you want to be on the there with.
Speaker 3: Trying to try to take out drones of this whul rifle.
Speaker 2: It's like not going to be a good situation.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that there is there is something where if you go fully analog.
Speaker 2: Where if you if you're if you can do.
Speaker 3: Sort of an e M I like electromagnetic explosion of some kind that could trick it take out electronics, But then then your electronics is gonna go to so you're gonna go either fully analog or fully digital. So I think that they actually would be a role for a fight or plane if it was fully analog and had mechanical controls, because then you could do an sort of an e M F last take out the drones and the analog.
Speaker 2: I mean that that could be another Tron time cruise.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe I don't know, you know, he just just gets a fully analog aircraft and all the drones fall out of the sky because of.
Speaker 2: M F bomb.
Speaker 1: How do you reply to those in uh say, industry that would say, I don't we don't want to contribute to the development of technology that could be used by the Department of Defense, Like basically, we need to build we need to build trust with with the industrial base and with society. Maybe something we're doing, how do we how do we do that? Well, I'm very pro military, So to be clear, it's good your audience will like that, yes, the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So but I think what what what?
Speaker 3: What if there's a significant conflict, the U. S. Industrial base will switch quickly to military. Active military production just is dead in World War two? Is a you know, is it quick enough? I don't know, but that's what will probably happen. Yeah, Ai Andron, That's that's the future of warfare. And I mean, tell me if I'm listening to something here, but where do you.
Speaker 1: See where you see the domain of space?
Speaker 3: Space? Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, space is how many?
Speaker 3: Space is the ultimate high ground, so it really goes. Space is big, real big.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: If you ever see like Earth to scale with the Sun and the you know, it's like, wow, we're just like a tiny little dust moat and you know, floating around space.
Speaker 2: That's Earth.
Speaker 1: But space is becoming increasingly militarized. And so how do you see that, especially as it relates to land warfare, Like what's your thoughts on the space domain as it relates to land warfare and and what are things that we should be doing to to start to gain those advantages.
Speaker 2: That are necessary?
Speaker 3: Well, I mentioned I mentioned the space space communications is critical. Like if you can't communicate, you don't know what's going on, care received orders, you can't report information and whether it's a tuman or a drone. They need communication, so you're going to have communications. Any ground based communications like fiberctic, fiber octic cables and sulphonetowers will be destroyed, so it's it's basically only or you've got our basically analog rato radios. And then but for any kind of data communications, it's space based. And then while GPS has been effective for a long time, GPS jamming at this point is pretty easy because the GPS signal is it's a weak signal, so it's easy to jat do GPS jamming. So having sort of a next generation a system that can provide positioning is going to be very important. The space can also probably offer you know, the ultimate weapons where you just have you know, tounguesten cannibals from all but.
Speaker 1: How about offensive weapons in space? Do you see those?
Speaker 2: That's what I mean by rods from God.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so if.
Speaker 3: You have like you know, class they talked about this in the Small Wars program in the eighties. But this is certainly something that can be done, which is you have just kinetic weapons from space or space based lasers. Starting system technically does have lasers, but they're low power lasers for now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let me let me ask you about back to this question about the process process. So so I like military history also yeah, so in so I like all disciplines at West Point, by the way, I love all of it. So in there was the Third Punic War is ongoing, and the Roman legions are outside Carthage and they lay siege to Carthage and it's not going very well. The pro consuls that are in charge are passive, risk averse, and they're losing. And there's a young guy who's from the famous Scipio line of pro consuls, and it is a Scipio Emilianus who is the grandson, the adopted grandson of Scipio Africanus, And so Scipio is the only one who's doing something. And so Cato the elder is sitting in the Senate and he says this. He says he alone still thinks the others flit about in the shadows. And he's basically an argument was I want Scipio in charge. And the problem with Scipio is too young. You had to be forty two to be a pro consul. And so Cato's like, I don't care. He's the right guy. And then what does Scipio do. He goes in and he puts juice into He's innovative and they and obviously we don't how the third Punic Warrians because we know about Roman, not Carthage. Right, So what Cato was getting at is this need for innovative and creative and entrepreneurial leaders, right, That's what is necessary. And so process is really as good as those who lead it. And so what are the traits you look for and those who lead your various businesses and enterprises.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm very much in technology.
Speaker 3: So for me, if somebody is going to lead something in technology, they must themselves be good at technology. I think that if they're going to lead something that evolves complex engineering, they must themselves be good at engineering. They don't necessarily need to be the best engineer on the team, but they need to be a They need to be very competent in their field.
Speaker 2: So this is this is incredibly important to me. If if somebody.
Speaker 3: Is leading a given engineering field or engineering department and they are not good at that, then that would be like a cavalry captain who can't ride a horse.
Speaker 1: Problem problem.
Speaker 3: Great leader in every way except can't ride a horse, and then you've got to charge the battle and cavalry captain pulls off the horse, you know, not aspiring. So, uh, calvary captain must be able to ride a horse. That's that's so that that that's actually need. Don't need to be the best horsh rider, but they must be competent in this regard. Otherwise they cannot evaluate the talent of the team and they don't understand the technology that's being developed. This may seem like a simple thing, but it is often the case the case that this this is overlooked.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't want to pick on the.
Speaker 3: CEO of Boeing, but uh thing's got a you know, a degree in accounting or something, which I think that's the case. You know, you want to have like a someone who knows how our planes foot work right running the airplane company.
Speaker 1: I guess cross out my job that Boeing CEO can't do that.
Speaker 3: But it's like it's like you want to you want to not be the It's just if you're running airplane company, you should know how a plane. You should know how airplanes work and how they fly and how to design airplane. I think that's pretty important. So I think it's vital.
Speaker 1: But how do you create innovative intuition and those that work for you? I mean, you're you're you're famous for UH trying to gain efficiencies, create create better processes, pushing UH to try to to try to to gain those not just efficiencies but effectiveness. So how do you Is it possible can you build this innovative intuition in a person?
Speaker 2: Well, let's.
Speaker 3: I think it is possible to learn to be innovative. You know a lot of times for for any given.
Speaker 2: Thing, you have to say, did you try?
Speaker 3: This may sound sound obvious, UH, but actually try like you If somebody might wonder what.
Speaker 2: Can I be innovative? Well, have you tried?
Speaker 3: Just try thinking of interesting ideas? I mean, I do find A good source of innovation is if you read it. If you read about a whole bunch of fields, you can cross fertilized ideas from one field into another, and so you can synthesize, say, takes a SpaceX and Tesla. The automotive industry is very good at manufacturing. In terms of manufacturing complex machines at volume, the automotive industry is the best that now the rocket industry. Space industry is very good at advanced materials and making things very light and uh and so so taking a mass materials and mass optimization UH concepts from the space industry, applying it to automotive and taking automotive mass manufacturing tech niques and applying it to space was kind of like a superpower.
Speaker 1: But when you that's interesting because when you think about it, when you're talking about innovating though, and you say that people can try, I mean you have to be willing to let them fail, yes, And so where do you draw the line between recklessness and over being overly cautious?
Speaker 3: No, if you're not if you're not failing at least some of the time, you're not trying hard enough. You have to fail some of the time. So you know, it's more like a batting average. Somebody should have a good batting average, but nobody bats a thousand. But if somebody bats zero all the time, I mean, okay, you know you've got to take them off. So you know, So I think I do have this sort of simplest principles algorithm that I think could be quite helpful. And I sort of say it as a monitor to myself because I've made this mistake someone many times. So the first element is for any given thing, make make make the requirements less dumb. So so whatever problem your solved, make the requirements less down and whoever gave you those requirements, even if they are the smallest person in the world, they're still dumb.
Speaker 2: So the so if if say.
Speaker 3: Like this is where save military procurement, it goes wrong right at the outset with excess requirements, so you'll get sort of this giant document of requirements that actually should be like one page. So step one, make the requirements simplifying. Just make the requirements less done. Because if you don't make it, if you don't do that as the first step, then you can get the right answer but to the wrong question. If the question is wrong, it's it doesn't matter. So then then the the step two is delete the part or process. Step delete. And if you're not putting in, if you're not adding back ten percent of what you deleted, you're not you haven't deleted enough. This is again the substance I think maybe very obvious, but it's very effective because the idea is like.
Speaker 2: If you're not if you're not if some of the ideas.
Speaker 3: That you're doing. Don't fail, You're not trying not enough. And then only the third step is to optimize the thing. And if I say, like, what's one of the mistakes that I see smart people making all the time, especially spat engineers. Is optimizing a thing that should not exist? Sounds obvious? You know, like you could try to make let's have the world's best biplane cloth biplane. I'm like, well, actually know we should have jet our planes instead, you know, so you should not have the thing that should not exist. And then step four is go faster. Again, this sounds really obvious, but people just don't try going faster. And the first step would be to automate something, but only automated once you've done those those other four things. Now, the reason I have this mantra is because I have personally many times automated something, sped it up, optimized it, and then deleted it. And I'm like, wait, I am tired of going backwards here. So if you run that simple algorithm in many arenas of life, you will be shocked at how effective it is.
Speaker 1: So shockingly, we are already running out of time. So let me ask you this, If you could choose one attribute, just one autre ut that'd be critical for our future officers to have to be successful. What would it be?
Speaker 3: Curiosity as long as you're not a cat, but curiosity, try to read as much as possible, learn as much as possible, and in many different fields, and apply critical thinking to anything that you're told.
Speaker 1: Thank you. So i'd like to say, on behalf of the tenant, General Gillan and the entire academy, we're really thankful that you're here. We're really thankful you took the time to help us celebrate the excellence of the faculty and the cadets and really sharing some wisdom with us because we're really thinking about what do we need to do to be successful because we have a very important mission, which is a no fill mission, which is we have to fight and win, and we're laser focused on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, in my view, I don't think probably a lot of people's views. You know, America is like like Atlas holding up the free world, and you are the arms of Atlas.
Speaker 1: So thank you, mister must