Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Gary, we had the same exact setup with the trap below the kitchen sink and everything go down to home depot. You buy the full attachment that goes on the indo your hose, eat it into the pipe, turn on the water. It expands and it blasts the cold blog bluckage out of there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they'll save a fortune, Yeah, and make an absolute mess.
Speaker 4: I've seen those before, I've seen them used before, and they just caused.
Speaker 1: I can see the look on your wife's face overseeing the project.
Speaker 5: Gary.
Speaker 6: You get a home depot to the tool section and you rent not a industrial snake.
Speaker 3: Not a bad idea.
Speaker 6: They're really not that hard to work with. You do it a couple of times a year and run everything and it's kind of a maintenance plan. We've done it in the past. It's not that intimate dating. I know you're very competent.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 7: I appreciate that.
Speaker 8: See here my two cents.
Speaker 3: How many feet do you think you need?
Speaker 4: I think it's probably I would say minimum seventy five feet Okay, I've.
Speaker 1: Got a seventy foot here drain cleaner for four hours at sixty seven dollars.
Speaker 3: That would save you a fortune. That would save a lot of money.
Speaker 9: Gary.
Speaker 7: Hey, Shannon, I work construction. I can tell you right now, one hundred foot snake. You're looking at about four to five four to get a decent one.
Speaker 3: That's if it's weeks.
Speaker 7: I can eighty foot that I usually use. Those are running anywhere from six to about fifteen hundred dollars. Home depot, by the way, just call a plumber and get it done.
Speaker 3: I did home depot. You can run it for four hours.
Speaker 1: It goes up for as much time as you have it for, right, but for four hours if you get it done, which would be quick.
Speaker 3: But that's the longest. Is seventy foot that they seventy five foot? No, they have one hundred foot one.
Speaker 10: Good morning, guys, Welcome back, Shannon, go niners. Yeah, this is James the plumber of plumbing here.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Plumbing is are one of those great, great, great great careers where you don't have to worry about AI replacing you robots. You have to have these very skilled professionals come in and diagnose these problems. So yeah, it is a great look at the business to invest in. And uh, you guys have a great day. Keep clogging up those journeys so you can keep getting the space.
Speaker 3: That See, that's what I'm doing, is I'm helping small businesses. That's what you're doing.
Speaker 1: That's where you're basically holding up America on your shoulders. It's called because you believe in this country.
Speaker 3: Off monomics. All right, it's time for swamp watch.
Speaker 1: Swamps actually sounds better than it's.
Speaker 3: Like a reality TV show. Was a bad due always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C.
Speaker 4: Hey Joey, a town all too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways still a swamps.
Speaker 9: A bunch of malarkey. Nobody said dream the swamp.
Speaker 3: I said, Oh, that's so I'll keep happen.
Speaker 10: You know the thing.
Speaker 1: Oh, Kamala Harris and former President Donald Trump will both be in Pennsylvania on opposite sides of the state today. She'll be in the northwest corner of Eerie. He'll be in the suburbs of Philly.
Speaker 4: A lot of attention was paid over the weekend to some interviews that were done. One of them was a jd Vance interview with The New York Times.
Speaker 1: This was about the Venezuelans and the apartments in Aurora.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing about the generally, yes it was, I mean he mentioned that, but that was also with Martha Raddits from ABC. But there's there's a thing that we've seen that I've seen a lot of reaction to when it comes to JD Vance, which is, I mean, you said it after the debate that he had with Tim Walls.
Speaker 3: That's not the same guy that I thought he was.
Speaker 4: Jade Vance is a well spoken, well thought out guy. Again, you don't have to agree with his politics, but you gotta admit he's a different person than what was than the image that had been painted of him.
Speaker 1: It was an exceptional debate performance, and I realized that he is practiced at going on all these shows and doing the interviews and having the thoughts and the points ready to pull up, certainly more than Tim Walls has. But yeah, I was impressed with the way he was able to articulate their positions and speak like a human.
Speaker 3: I didn't like that he called Bob Woodward a hack. Well, it's that he has a hard.
Speaker 4: Time sometimes He won't admit that Trump lost the twenty twenty election.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 4: I understand why he's not doing it, but it's one of those things that's an easily avoidable mistake. Now, he was on ABC's This Week Is This Week and I don't remember what the sun it was ABC's This Is with Martha Raddisy and the Sunday Morning Show, and she was asking about that discussion about immigrants taking over apartment complexes in Aurora colliber.
Speaker 11: We're limited to a handful of apartment complex apartment complexes, and the mayor said, our dedicated police officers have acted on those concerns a handful of problems.
Speaker 12: Only, Martha, do you hear yourself? Only a handful of apartment complexes in America were taken over by Venezuelan gangs. And Donald Trump is the problem and not Kamala Harris's open border.
Speaker 3: Americans are so.
Speaker 12: Fed up with what's going on, and they have every right to be. And I really find this exchange, Martha is sort of interesting because you seem to be more focused with nitpicking everything that Donald Trump has said, rather than acknowledging that apartment complexes in the United States of America are being taken over by violent gangs now.
Speaker 4: And that's all he had to say. He didn't have to get into any of the details. He didn't have to because Martha Raddis was the one who kind of set that up and said it's only a couple of apartment complexes that are being.
Speaker 3: That was a dumb thing for her to say.
Speaker 1: But I'm if you want to Nippick, go back in time and look at all the apartment complexes that have been taken over by gangs in this country.
Speaker 3: This is not a new problem.
Speaker 1: Look at Kabrini Green, Okay, like places that have been shut down because violent gangs have overcome them. This isn't just a Venezuelan immigrants, illegal immigration thing. This is just the way apartment buildings work sometimes in poor areas.
Speaker 4: This was one of the interviews that was done and there's going to be a new push, I think for these next couple of weeks where Kamala Harris is going to continue this media blitz that she started last week, and among other things, she's sitting down with Fox News coming up on Wednesday, She's going to sit down with Brett Baer for what would be a longer form interview. I don't think they're going to let him, sorry, let her get away with any of the answers that sixty minutes.
Speaker 3: Let her get over it for her to go on Fox News.
Speaker 1: I mean that is yeah, because you're absolutely right, you're not going to get the sixty minutes treatment there. I will watch what times at a three pm our time on Special Report.
Speaker 3: Okay, coming up next.
Speaker 1: It looks like Biden's staff and Kamala Harris's staff are at each other's throats.
Speaker 4: That's the weirdest palace intrigue story I saw over the weekend.
Speaker 1: Well you heard the same thing with Biden's people and Obama's people. And then earlier on in the administration, Tim Kates.
Speaker 3: Has had a lot of coffee.
Speaker 1: He's in a long week, long couple of weeks, and he's just howling like a freaking wolf in the hallways. But yeah, you kind of heard about the consternation between the staffs, and I wonder how common that is. It sounds like it's pretty common in Washington because everyone's cutthroat and looking to get ahead.
Speaker 4: They're just in it for themselves. Yeah, all right, swamp Watch continues.
Speaker 9: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Do you know how the Jeopardy questions have been just very underwhelming, Like today's what is the three word example? For drugs that are not prescription? It's over the counter, right, It's just stupid, just stupid stuff. I've decided I'm gonna come up up with my own Jeopardy questions for you every day.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's today's. Oh, do you want me to play the thing? Yeah? Me warm up to it though.
Speaker 1: Which Pitcher holds the MLB record for consecutive scoreless innings pitched? It was fifty nine consecutive innings. And I'll give you a hint. No, you don't want to hint, Oral Hirschheiser. See how fun this is going to be.
Speaker 3: I'm having fun. I'm having fun. I am having a lot of fun. I do have good news.
Speaker 5: By the way, Hey Gary, a snake has had something to jack around with. You pay a guy to do it. I mean, it's cheap enough, and you can do a lot of damage with that snake. If you don't know what you're doing, it's well worth what you'll pay to have it done. Take care.
Speaker 4: Everything's fine. I can it's been done, project completed, very reasonable price. And like I said, from the time I called to the time it was complete, it was seventy five minutes. That's not days. Seventy five minutes, no mess. So I'll give a shout out to my friends at Shellback Plumbing. That's a rack because they did a great job.
Speaker 1: When I said it takes a while, I was thinking about the heating. Air people sometimes like your heating and your air will go out right the first time you use it because you haven't use it for.
Speaker 3: A while, and it's one hundred and nineteen and it's one hundred and.
Speaker 1: Nineteen degrees and they're like, sorry, Moose outfront, should have told you to call three months ago, Dumbassuh yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So all right, there's a there's a there's weird palace intrigue going on, and the I can understand there being conflict. If you have a president who is not running for president running for reelection and a vice president who is, you're going to have some political division inside that administration, and there.
Speaker 3: Is you can.
Speaker 4: Ascribe different motivations for it. Some in this Palace Intrigue novel, it's that Joe Biden is upset that Democrats in general forced him off of the top of the ticket, and he's taking it out on the woman who replaced him, his own vice president.
Speaker 1: He's appeared to undercut Harris at least four times in recent weeks. During these critical final stages of the election.
Speaker 3: He made a.
Speaker 1: Surprise White House briefing room appearance during one of her rallies and praised ron DeSantis' response to the hurricanes, while at the same time she was saying that DeSantis was playing politics with the storms. Now there's a new report from Axios with quotes from ten anonymous insiders that say resentment from bruised Biden aids has led to friction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do they have time for friction? Do they have time to spend a lot of oxygen on feeling negative towards the Harris campaign?
Speaker 1: Harris, I don't believe it's a let's work together atmosphere in DC. Harris aids claim that the Biden team is deliberately not working with them, so they're too much in their feelings. A Harris ally says of Biden's team, Well, that is true. Trump is talking about it, talking about the relationship between Biden and Harris, says he can't stand her for one simple reason. She overthrew him, but smartly, he says, but she didn't do what the party did. Yeah, Kamala Harris had like nothing to do with this. This was Nancy Pelosi heavyweights.
Speaker 3: Kamala Harris.
Speaker 4: To to quote Senator John Kennedy from an interview I saw this morning, Kamala Harris was polling about as well as punching kittens. I mean, her favorability rating in say, April, May and June of this year was very, very low. And remember Democrats themselves, I mean, the party did not even elevate her to be close to.
Speaker 3: The nominee.
Speaker 4: When twenty twenty rolled around, she was out before the Iowa Caucasus. And that's not to say that she can't be the nominee now, but it's a very quick turnaround from what she was polling earlier in the year to what she is right now. The other thing is she's raised a billion dollars. Did you see that headline last week? She's raised a billion dollars since she got into the race at the end of July and is still tied.
Speaker 3: Wow, think about it.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's picked up the polls. I read this morning, he's picked up some steam.
Speaker 3: He's picked up steam.
Speaker 4: He's picked up steam in different places that were unexpected, whether it's Latino votes or black men, because that became such an issue last week. I mean, the fact that they're tied blows my mind. And it's only going to get I mean, is what to this three weeks.
Speaker 3: Weird thing going on on my street?
Speaker 1: So in my neighborhood, I should say, along the street that I drive to get home, there were a couple Harris Walls signs, just maybe two or three homes that had them sporadically along the main drag.
Speaker 3: And then in the.
Speaker 1: Past week, for every Harris Wall sign there's a Trump Fans sign. I was thinking at first, our people around here just don't want to be out and proud with their their Trump support. And I think there's this weird thing going on where those Harris Wall signs were out there three weeks ago, and within the past week the Trump fan signs of all gone up, and now it's fifty to fifty on the same stretch of neighborhood. I don't have a lot, and they're all it's all hopscotch, which is oh, I beckon wild?
Speaker 4: What house is one and the next house is the other, and vice versa all the way down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 4: Up next, an amazing moment yesterday that if you haven't seen the video, it did not look real when I saw it. We caught a rocket. We caught a rocket. We'll talk about what happened with SpaceX yesterday.
Speaker 9: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 4: A couple NASA spacecraft has actually blasted off on a journey to explore Jupiter's moon Europa and talk about what kind of hidden ocean might hold the keys to life there. SpaceX launched the Europa Clipper today from the Kennedy Space Center. It's going to take five and a half years for Clipper to reach Jupiter, and once there, it will orbit the giant planet, getting close to Europa during dozens of flybys. Five point two billion dollar mission. They said it's not looking for life, but rather the conditions necessary for it. Scientists say they're almost certain that there's a pretty deep ocean that exists beneath the icy crust that is Europa. But speaking of Florida and Cape Canaveral and the whole Space coast down there.
Speaker 3: Oh, let me play.
Speaker 8: That SpaceX has executed a complicated landing procedure for one of its rockets. One of the boosters on the Starship spacecraft successfully flew back to the launch site and was caught by giant metal arms what the company calls chopsticks super Happy Easter. The Starship itself splashed down in the Indian Ocean. Blue Origin, a competing private space company, stood down a planned launch around the same time, siting a GPS issue. Mike Debaski, ABC.
Speaker 4: News, So the video itself, incredible, was pretty dramatic, and it was great to hear everybody cheer that thing like it was a Super Bowl victory. I mean, they were so excited because again, as Kate Tye, she was the SpaceX manager of Quality Systems Engineering, during the live commentary, she said, it's insane. On our first ever attempt, we have successfully caught the super heavy booster back at the launch tower. Another one who is a SpaceX guy who was actually at the launch site said, are you kidding me? Even in this day and age, what we just saw that looked like magic Because this super heavy rocket, the booster catch was not the only goal for this flight five. And again this is the big version. This is not the Falcon rockets that go off for the Falcon capsules. SpaceX is aimed to send starships upper stage known as star Ship, to space and then bring it back to Earth with the splashdown in the Indian Ocean, and that occurred about an hour after lift off. The ship fired three of its six engines to hover over the ocean before it tipped over and exploded. They knew that that was going to happen, and that was the better that was the better plan. But that this starship had four previous flights April and November of last year, and then March and June of this year. And the thing about this is it keeps getting better each time. The debut mission lasted just four minutes. SpaceX ordered a detonation high in Texas after the two stages failed to separate. But flight four back in June was a complete success. It reached orbital velocity and both the shape the ship and the super heavy rocket survived the return to Earth, landing in their designated splash down zones. And then that starship took another leap today yesterday when it landed back when the heavy rocket landed back in the tower, and again the fact that it's able to maneuver. We've seen SpaceX land their rockets back on platforms before, but this one landed, was caught, I guess before it even lands because the two arms, the chopsticks, as Mike Debusky pointed out, came together and caught this thing before it actually hit the ground.
Speaker 3: If it were up.
Speaker 1: It was like an Elijah Moulden interception with chopsticks, wasn't it. Simi fehoku that grab along the sideline Flight five?
Speaker 3: How would they catch it? I don't know. I don't know, I don't know. Do you know that the.
Speaker 1: Next five opponents are all teams with losing records.
Speaker 3: I got a real chance to go on a run here. That seems the dangerous though.
Speaker 1: Arizona, New Orleans, Cleveland, Tennessee, and Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: I'd give you Tennessee. I might even give you Arizona.
Speaker 1: Do you think anyone's gonna you think the Saints are gonna beat anyone?
Speaker 3: You see? You know I saw Cleveland. Think Cleveland's gonna beat anyone?
Speaker 4: Saw a documentary one time called on any given Sunday, And you know what that means?
Speaker 3: So that was a movie. I was a feature of film. This is a document and it was a documentary. So you're saying that you like their chances.
Speaker 1: I just this defense is something I've never seen before with the Chargers. It's like they have never had an elite offense and an elite defense together in one season.
Speaker 3: Did you talk to after the game yesterday.
Speaker 1: Denzel Perimo? But Khalil Mack, he posted a grade of ninety point five. That's his best mark of the season so far. His run defense, which is really the standout. The run defense going into this one, was ranked fourth in the league.
Speaker 3: A year ago.
Speaker 1: It was twenty fifth two seasons before thirty second.
Speaker 3: So it's been like thirty second out of thirty Two's been leaps and bounds. To watch this run defense and the way it's been put together. My goodness.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I just you were talking about space things and then my mind hurts, so I had to go back to football things.
Speaker 3: Make more babies, talk about that or not when we come back.
Speaker 9: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 4: I didn't play this during swamp watch. We got sidetracked to doing other stuff. But Scott Jennings is one of those political commentators on CNN more conservative. He and David Urban are probably the two conservative more conservative voices that you hear there. And he was talking about why Kamala Harris, the Harris Walls ticket generally is pulling poorer or poor lee, I should say, with men, and why there has been such a gender gap when it comes to political discussions lately. This was Scott Jennings yesterday on CNN.
Speaker 13: They're struggling with I mean the front page of the New York Times this morning, Democrats struggling with African American voters, particularly African American man. This gender gap issue is real. It's a real problem, and you see the Democrats reacting to it, and I think what they are now finally in October the election coming to realize is that a lot of men think Democrats care more about dudes who want to become women and dudes who just want to be well. No, and no hunting costplay or cringey videos is going to change if the bed.
Speaker 4: Is made referring the hunting cosplays referring to Tim Walls in the pheasant hunting video.
Speaker 3: That came out this weekend from the campaign.
Speaker 1: Well, Europe, they say, is at the forefront of the worldwide baby shortage. Europe's overall populations shrank during the pandemic is on track to contract by about forty million by twenty to fifty. They've been trying to give parents or parents that they want to become parents, benefits like cheap childcare, extra vacation, free fertility treatments. Some places are offering one hundred and fifty grand and cheap loans, subsidized minivans, a lifetime exemption from income taxes just to make some babies. It's not just Europe, and it's not just US, it's also China and Russia.
Speaker 4: Now they it seems like China and Russia would prefer to have babies because they need people. They need labor, they need soldiers, they need that. I mean that they're looking at it more as a commodity than any sort of cultural expansion. Perhaps, But Europe and other demographically challenged economies in Asia, like South Korea and Singapore, they've been pushing back against the demographic tide with parental benefits. Like you said, falling fertility has persisted among nearly all age groups, all incomes, all education, levels, and those who have many children often say that they would have had them even without the benefits, but those who don't say the benefits don't make enough of a difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to really want to have kids.
Speaker 1: You can't hold money at the problem and say we'll pay you to do this.
Speaker 4: Well, we see that in other industrialized places where you do get a certain strumental prostitution.
Speaker 1: The way to put it here, Kamala Harrison Donald Trump both have their own plans. She wants to offer a six thousand dollars baby bonus. Trump has floated free in vitro and tax deductions for parents.
Speaker 3: The free in vitro.
Speaker 1: That's smart though, in free and vitro, because when you look at who is having babies, everyone's having them later. They're not having them at twenty two and twenty four, they're having them at thirty two, thirty four, thirty six, And that it's harder to conceive. It's harder to conceive, there's a not everybody has the money for in vitro. There's a greater likelihood of potential problems, health problems, whatever. The thing about in vitro is it's very expensive, like you're saying, and I'm curious to see what kind of a bill that.
Speaker 3: Would bring to the government. Government.
Speaker 4: Right, But you know, making a baby the old fashioned way is usually free, is it real? Well, I mean, like nothing is ever free, Gary, True, there are probably some dinners that go into that, but and got to.
Speaker 1: Take out a couple of times before you put the baby inside.
Speaker 3: Probably a couple of dinners. Dating by Shannon Hey, that was.
Speaker 1: Your dating guide, not mine. I just bottom lined it for you.
Speaker 4: Hungry is being held up as a as a model for some of this. Both Hungry and Norway spend three percent, more than three percent of their gross domestic product on their different approaches to promoting families. That's more than the amounts that they spend on their militaries.
Speaker 1: Do you know what it's called the promoting of the baby making? Uh, it's called it's called pro natalism.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's called get it on. No you know, not.
Speaker 1: All never mind, go on, No, I will not give you my ted talk not all babies. What what were you going to say, Well, it's not about sex, it's about creating a family, Gary, Is that what it is? More needs to go into it than just you want to have some booty booty.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's why that the message is not being heard.
Speaker 1: If we just minimized it to having sex booty booty body booty booty, booty booty by booty booty, booty booty.
Speaker 3: What booty booty booty boom.
Speaker 1: Just saying, is this what they want to get rid of? Is there's some people that want to get rid of birth control. I don't know anybody who wants to get rid of it.
Speaker 3: I don't know either.
Speaker 1: Well, I know as I hear the narrative on my uh on my algorithms.
Speaker 4: Give me if if I would absolutely have a conversation with someone who wanted to get rid of birth control, I don't know why I would too.
Speaker 1: I would have a conversation with anybody who's trying to force somebody who doesn't want to have kids to have kids.
Speaker 3: Because that's the last person that should have kids. Well, they would tell you not to do the thing that would give you the kids, the sex. Yeah, so you just don't have sex. You know, it's awful. I don't know. The it's just weird. I mean, where do we go from here?
Speaker 1: Are we okay with the baby shortage or what's the endgame?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean part of us, part of the population, is fine with the fact that we don't have we're not replacing ourselves that two point one percent rate that is needed to keep the population steady because they want to depopulate. They want fewer people on the Earth because they believe that we're straining the resources of the mother planet Gaya. And if that's the case, then they're probably happy that we're not replacing ourselves. But then again, we all know people who have like five or eight or ten kids. Yeah, and I replaced myself. I feel like I check my box.
Speaker 3: I'm good. I don't need to replace myself. Nobody's asking for that, not one.
Speaker 1: Nobody wants it, not even a half of a person. Well s not trending. When we come back.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap