Speaker 1: Welcome to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Guardians Radio network. Guardians Weekly is brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance.
Speaker 2: I Reward.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Guardian's Weekly. Jim Rosen House along with you this weekend from Progressive Field in downtown Cleveland. Great to be back home as the Guardians have a National League homestand in progress with three against the Phillies, including Saturday night at six ten and then the series finale Mother's Day Sunday Night, a seven to ten first pitch. Then the Brewers come into town next week. Good show lined up for you. Today, we'll go heavy on the minor league side, visiting with minor league field coordinator and former top shelf middle infielder for not only Cleveland but also several other teams over the course of his sixteen year career, John McDonald will join us, and we'll also have a report on single A Lynchburg some of the intriguing young prospects there from Vice President of player Development Stephen Osterer. Earlier on in our show, we will hear from Daniel Schneeman the suddenly red hot Guardians mostly second Basement while also sometimes outfielder and also pitcher Jacob Junis will join us too. But first our week in review, and we begin with the series in Washington, DC that began on Monday night. No, it did not. It was rained out on Monday night, forcing a doubleheader on Tuesday, wild ballgame in game one where Washington came from behind late to win it by a final score of ten to nine. So the Guardians were looking for a split in Game two, and there was really strong pitching on both sides early on in that nightcap of the doubleheader. In fact, it was scoreless until the sixth inning. That's when the Guardians broke through. With two men on and Carlos Santana at the plate.
Speaker 4: The pitch swung and trill deep.
Speaker 2: Bright field down the line, go into the National's bullpen.
Speaker 4: A baby down the line.
Speaker 2: For Carlos Santana and the Guardians with a three nothing laid on one swing of the vat and Carlos Santana swinging the bant in this doubleheader better than he has at any point this season. A laser down that line and Dave Martinez leed Brad Lord face one batter too many.
Speaker 3: The Nationals got on the board in the bottom half of the sixth inning with a solo home run that made it three to one. But in the seventh, the Guardians offense was back at it with runners at second and third and Brian Rochio the batter.
Speaker 2: Lucas Simms is ready. Here it comes swung On Grumbold a short coming home with a throw.
Speaker 4: Is Abram slide tag.
Speaker 2: He's in there in time to tag him throw, pull them away from the plate, and Nolan Jones slid in and puts Cleveland up four to one.
Speaker 3: Daniel Schneeman scored on a wild pitch that made it five to one, and then Stephen Kuan drove home one more. The pitch swung and trill to the gap in the right center and he'll get down and scoot to the wall. Rocchio scores Kwan into second with an RBI double and the Guardians with three of them the sixth, three, and the seventh now leaded six to one. In the eighth, thenning another Nationals wild pitch allowed Carlos Santana to score that made it seven to one Cleveland, and then Schneman's big road trip continued.
Speaker 4: Now the one two swung On.
Speaker 2: Hit a ton deep bright field. It's got a chance, go on to the second deck. Daniel Schneeman, what a road trip. Third home run on this road trip. Daniel Schneeman hits number five and the Guardians blow and wide open leading this ballgame now eight to one, and one more blast came in the ninth inning, courtesy of Austin Hedges.
Speaker 4: Braziki from the set. The right hander lets it fly.
Speaker 2: In Hedges drives under deep left field, back goes wood track wall leaps and this ball is gone. Austin Hedges has hit us third. All have been solo homers. When the six seven would left his feet, you thought if anybody could make all home run robbin ketch, it would be him. And for a while, I don't know if Austin Hedges realized it was gone and the Guardians now laid at nine to one. Here in the ninth inning on hedges third home run of the campaign.
Speaker 3: Zach Kent was called up to be the twenty seventh man for the double header, and he got the call to finish things up in the bottom half of the ninth inning.
Speaker 1: The bitch swung and banged the first Santana to second one Rochio Relay Double Play Bowl game and the Guardians get a split, winning the night Camp nine to one.
Speaker 3: It's a nice win to earn a split of the double header for the Guardians. They were looking for a series win. On Wednesday afternoon, the third game in a twenty four hour period for football clubs, and it was Washington that jumped in front with a run in the second, two more in the third, giving them an early three to nothing lead, and it stayed that way until the sixth inning, when the Guardians' bats exploded. Two singles and a hit batter later loaded the bases with nobody out for suddenly hot Carlos Santana.
Speaker 2: From the set. Soroka lets it fly. Santana swings and winds it to right down the light fair ball, It'll scoot to the corner. Kwan scores, Schneman scores. Ramirez is being waved home, throw to the plate piece and sliding.
Speaker 4: We are tied at three.
Speaker 2: Carlos Santana comes through with a basis loaded, clearing double into the right field corner. He now has had six rby eyes in the last two days, sixteen rby eyes on the year, A single for Gabrielarius and a walk to bow Naylor followed, and that brought on Hell Martinez to the plate. Lopez is ready and the pitch to Martinez and he suddens one up the middle, base it into center field. Santana scores. Arius is right behind him. He touches home plate, stopping at second bow Naylor and on Hell Martinez puts Cleveland up five to three on a two run single right back up the middle and almost on cue another bullpen implosion by the Washington Nationals, as Lopez has come in and given up two hits and a walk and his day is done after three batters, and Dave Martinez is going There's gotta be an easier way to make a living than what he is going through right now.
Speaker 3: Boy, Yet another Nationals wild pitch brought home bow Naylor with another run that made it six to three, and then Brian Rochio made it a seven run inning.
Speaker 2: The bitch swung on tap to third fair ball right at the backfield of by Rosario. He'll throw the first, but Martinez broke on the ball. Hitting the bat, he scores easily. That'll be an RBI. Rochio put it in play, picks up his eighth run, batted in. It's a seven run sixth. Still in the sixth two men on Jose Ramirez stepped in the pitch swung on, ripped into left base at Ramirez Kwan being waived home.
Speaker 4: Here comes calls throw out.
Speaker 2: Of the plate, slide tag safe, good throw by call, but an RBI single to left by Jose Ramirez and the Guardians have scored eight in the sixth and now lead it eight to three. Ramirez with his seventeenth RBI And for the Guardians, they are doing it without the long ball, but doing it the way that they are at their best. Eight runs on six hits in the inning. He run seventh pulled the Nationals to within two and it would be up to Emmanuel class A to close the door.
Speaker 3: In the night.
Speaker 4: The one ozer.
Speaker 2: Pitch swung on line shot to left coming on Schneman dies spakes the catch ball game and the Guardians get out of town, winning the rubber match by a final score of eight to six.
Speaker 3: Off day Thursday for the Guardians, after the series in Washington, they opened up a new homestand on Friday night against Philadelphia, and the Guardians got on the board first in the fourth inning when Kyle Manzardo added to his team lead in home runs. Man Zardo still with the team high honors and home runs with eight. Here's the one one delivery swung on and there's a drive to center. Boy, this one's hit well. Back is Rojas looking up paulrah Manzardo to dead center field.
Speaker 2: He snaps the scoreless tie as the Guardians take a one nothing lead. Number nine for Kyle Mansarto, whose big season continues.
Speaker 3: Boy, and he hunts the fastball. He got one out over the plate and drove it or the wall in center. Meanwhile on the mound, it was Gavin Williams with another one of those bend but don't break type outings as he kept the Phillies off the board. Through five, Williams starts to close in on the one hundred pitch mark. Here's his payoff pitch called strength three, run.
Speaker 4: Around the move the thrown out. He got him.
Speaker 2: It is a strike him out, throw him out, double play. Not easy to throw out trade turner, but Bo Naylor's been throwing extremely well lately, and he put that one right on the money and Williams works out of it well.
Speaker 3: We head to the bottom of the fifth. The score remains the Guards one. The Phillies nothing in the bottom of the fifth. The Guardians added to that lead, Gabrielarius leading things off of the walk and then On Hell Martinez stepped in the pitch and Martinez launched his one high in the air to right. This one's deep pull. It carry yes, home run on Hell Martinez. It's a two run shot and the Guardians lead it three nothing, Number one for On Hell Martinez just made it into the lower stands in right. Carlos Santana drove in one more in the fifth with a fielder's choice ground out that made it for nothing. Daniel Sneaman did the same with an RBI ground out in the seventh that made it five to nothing, and later on in the seventh, Jose Ramirez blasted one to write again the one two delivery swung on pounded deep fair siguals, well, you're out of the adjectives to describe this guy, Ose Ramirez, simply putting one of the greatest players in the history of Cleveland baseball six nothing. Guardians ose Ramirez with the home run number sixteen, and once again the bullpen was lights out, starting with Tim Herron. In the sixth, Hunter Gaddis worked a scoreless seventh, and then with the big lead, Matt Festu was on and he blanked the Phillies in the eighth and the ninth.
Speaker 4: Now they're set by Matt Festa.
Speaker 2: Here's the one to one pitch, swung on, smashed on one hop to first, Santana has it, goes to the bag bulgate and the Guardians keep winning.
Speaker 4: They have now peeled off eight wins in their last ten games.
Speaker 2: They have kept pace with the Tigers, two and a half games in back of the red hot Detroit Tigers. And they take game one of this series and homestand and they shut out the mighty Phillies by a final score of six to nothing.
Speaker 3: So good stuff from the Guardians taking the series opener over the Phillies six nothing, and again. Game two of that series is Saturday night at six' ten and the series Finale Mothers Day. SUNDAY i remember now it's a night GAME, espn and that means it starts at seven ten On sunday. Night stay with us while we come. Back we'll talk with one of the hottest hitters not only For cleveland but in baseball the last, Week daniel Schnem.
Speaker 5: It that's NEXT A Progressive home And ottowuntle can protect you around the, clock but we can't protect you from those painful moments in.
Speaker 6: SPORTS i can't believe they're moving the team to another. City, true but you'll never forget all the joy they brought into your.
Speaker 7: Life.
Speaker 6: Joy they made the playoffs twice in fifty. Years, gosh those two times were pretty, great weren't.
Speaker 7: They how WOULD i?
Speaker 4: KNOW i wasn't even born.
Speaker 6: Yet think of all the free time you'll have on game.
Speaker 7: Days those games were the highlight of my.
Speaker 5: Week, well at least you're homanaud or protected with a bundle From Progressive Progressive Casual Game Terns company affiliates another intur it's not available in those. STATES a Situations.
Speaker 3: Welcome back To Guardians, Weekly Jim Rosen house along with you From Progressive field in Downtown. Cleveland what a week it has been For Daniel, schneemann who has solidified his spot on an everyday basis in the. Lineup now it might be second, base it could be left, field it could be center, field shortstop, maybe but he moves all over the. Place point being he's swinging a hot. Bat that included last weekend In toronto when he hit two home, runs the second a grand slam in the. Ninth they didn't Last saturday to give The guardians the, lead and when we caught up with him the next, day he, says there's no doubt that that will be a day he never.
Speaker 8: Forgets, YEAH i mean it was A it was definitely a game That i'm gonna remember for a. While i'm opening to just take that confidence into the rest of the.
Speaker 3: Season explain some of the adjustments that that you were making that that may have led to what happened later in that.
Speaker 8: GAME i think IT'S i think it's more approach wise instead of like. Mechanical i'm really just trying to keep my direction going towards the middle of the, field and and so that allows me to hit through off speed and and then AS i would have catched a couple fastballs out in front last.
Speaker 3: Night, hey the team's going through a good stretch right. Now and what are you seeing in there that that's starting to come together a little bit as it always does early in the season when when THERE'S i think roles being defined and things like. That but what are you saying as we get deeper into this.
Speaker 8: THING i think everyone's just going out and playing hard every. DAY i think even when we go through a tough, STRETCH i think everyone really has the same. Approach they're they're going in and playing hard and sometimes things don't go our. Way but right now we've you, know we've been throwing the ball, well eve been taking good at bad AND i think one of those two things coming, together that's when we win a lot of.
Speaker 3: Games, Well, daniel a memorable game On saturday for sure In, toronto and thanks love for coming. By appreciate, It.
Speaker 8: Thanks appreciate.
Speaker 3: It Daniel steaming one of the nice guys in the game who has worked extremely hard to get where he is after being a thirty third round draft choice in his draft. Year they don't even have thirty three rounds, anymore but he was fortunate enough to be drafted and continued to be given opportunities on his way up the minor league ladder and now making it big in the major. Leagues also making it big for a long time and being a big part Of The guardian's. Bullpen now veteran right Hander Jacob. Junis he's in his first season With, cleveland and he says it's been easy to fit in with this, club and he couldn't have envisioned the first month going much.
Speaker 9: Smoother, oh it's, great, man everybody's been super welcoming over. HERE i feel like all the guys have been really good to me and open, arms you, know making me feel. Comfortable the guys in the bullpen are, great lot of.
Speaker 3: Fun you've been with a couple of different. Teams does it get easier as you move around and get more experience in the league to kind of adjust to a new. Situation.
Speaker 9: YEAH i, mean at the beginning of my, CAREER i was in the same spot for so, long and then WHEN i, LEFT i was In San francisco for two, years so you kind of build that chemistry and friendships over two. Seasons and then obviously last YEAR i was in two different places during the, season so it was like quick. Turnarounds but, YEAH i MEAN i think that it's just all, experience kind of learning and kind of going through those. Things but, yeah it's just about the people that year, around and we got great people here and they made me feel, welcome and you, Know i've enjoyed my time so.
Speaker 3: Far and the bullpen was the best in baseball a year. Ago very. Good once, again how much is that factor and when you're looking for a good, situation the success of others in that, Bullpen.
Speaker 9: Yeah it's definitely something you want to be a part. Of you, know a lot of, success a lot of young guys going out there and throwing the ball really, well and you kind of just want to come in and do the same, thing you, know kind of follow their leading the way and just go out there and do your job and give it to a chance to.
Speaker 3: Win, jacob thanks for a, time appreciate.
Speaker 7: It, yeah thank. You it's really.
Speaker 3: Pictured Jacob juna is part of a really good bullpen for The guardians and a nice veteran presence out there as. Well stay tuned when we come. Back we'll go heavy on minor league reports and prospects and all kinds of good stuff along those. Lines that's after this. Time i'm In Cleveland, Clinic Guardians Radio.
Speaker 10: Network first ball, Swinging Christian guzman bangs it up the.
Speaker 4: Middle Jinny mack.
Speaker 2: Makes a sliding, step gets, up throws out Guzban what a play By john.
Speaker 3: McDonald welcome back To Guardians. Weekly we're back at The Progressive field in Downtown cleveland And Jim rosenhouse along with you this. Weekend great to have you with, us and it was fun to catch up With john, McDonald the Longtime major. Leaguers sixteen seasons in the big leagues as a, player including breaking into the major leagues With cleveland after they drafted and developed, him and one of the slickest fielding infielders that played during his. Era he's now the field coordinator In The guardian's minor league, system and he's had a couple of different roles in the organization since his playing, days and he explains what his day to day looks like in his current.
Speaker 11: Position, yeah, BASICALLY i get to work with all of our, groups you, know work with our hitting, coaches our pitching, coaches our bench, coaches are. Managers it's just constant conversations about baseball and how are helping our players get?
Speaker 3: Better how enjoyable is? That and we catch up with. You you're you're at the big league game In, washington D. C but it's between two stops Following. Lynchberg how enjoyable is that to kind of pop, in see some guys and get some good things.
Speaker 7: Done it's fun come in here for a.
Speaker 11: Day it's a welcome opportunity to be able to be seeing our minor league team and having the big league team play so.
Speaker 7: Close so getting upop in here has been really nice to connect with this.
Speaker 11: Group AND i think that's what we do a lot with our with our minor league. Trips you, know we want to be a resource for our. Staff our players want to be available some of it that they can connect with when when we're not, there when they have questions and give them another set of, eyes, uh when we're, there because you, know our our our staff is so close to the players and everything they're. Affiliate so our Our lynchburg staff right now is so intrenched on what the players are. Doing i'm not as, much SO i get to see it through my eyes and see them in the things THAT i, see which you know are are oftentimes different because they're so focused on individual players development And i'm looking a little bit more of the big picture of what everybody's.
Speaker 3: Doing so you have seen all of the full season, teams there are four of, them and we'll focus on a couple of players and, uh some off to great, starts some off to okay. Starts See Jake caphis is a name that we've heard a lot. About he's been promoted From DOUBLE a acron To TRIPLE A columbus and doesn't seem to miss a. Beat what are you seeing there from him that that's really encouraging very early in the.
Speaker 11: Season, Yeah i'm seeing a player that that got after his all, season had a great spring, training came, out swung the bat.
Speaker 7: Well but he's playing very good.
Speaker 11: Defense and you, KNOW i MEAN i told him a couple of weeks, AGO i was just impressed with how well he was running the running the.
Speaker 7: Base it's just aggressive a little.
Speaker 1: Bit you.
Speaker 11: Know we want all of our players to go hard all the, time and we see it happening at the major league.
Speaker 7: Level we're seeing it in the minor.
Speaker 11: Leagues and when players are attacking base running just like they attack every other part of their. Game you, know it's something that we always want to we always want to praise and make sure we keep it top of mind that we're doing every everything we, can that they're doing everything they can to be big. Leaguers and you were in that position that as you got To TRIPLE a where you were close to the major. Leagues he's now at The TRIPLE a. Level you talk to him at all about trying to maintain that focus At TRIPLE a and maybe not look too far. Ahead, yeah we start having some of those conversations in In DOUBLE a with guys and what it could be like and to start wrapping their head around the fact that it's it's getting. Possible you, know when players are so far, AWAY i think it's hard to harder to put that in front of you That i'm gonna be a major league. Player we don't know that, yet but as you continue to work over, time you start to see the things that make players big leaguers and the way they can impact our, team you, know a little more. Specifically it's never a, guarantee but the conversations should start. Happening you're performing In DOUBLE a and you're In TRIPLE, A, a, hey this could be a.
Speaker 7: Reality have you started thinking about what it's going to be.
Speaker 11: Like there's gonna be. Pressure you know you're gonna be able to handle. It what are some of the things that you're gonna do to get you through some of the situations that are gonna be a little. Overwhelming playing in big stadiums and and you're you're hitting late in the ball game and in a tie. Game can you can you stay loose and have the same. Swing talking about it really helps it play out for them when they get.
Speaker 3: There john McDonald joining. Us he's a field coordinator For The guardian's minor league. System Travis bozana the number one pick in the draft the Euro go he's at double a. Acron what do you sing from him in the times that you've seen?
Speaker 4: Him that's really.
Speaker 11: Encouraging, YEAH i SAW i saw him a couple of weeks ago put together some great at.
Speaker 7: BATS i saw him firing around the.
Speaker 11: Bases think there's two, triples, triple triple and the double WHILE i was. THERE i, mean he puts up competitive bats at bats and we knew that coming in that he's gonna be a guy that's gonna be.
Speaker 7: Able to hit all all parts of the.
Speaker 11: Ballpark and he, walks he gets on, base he.
Speaker 7: HITS i, mean it's it's something we love to.
Speaker 11: See if he's also working on his, defense you, know And Mark mumper And akrons got him out there almost every day working on different parts.
Speaker 7: Of his craft and continuing to grow him as a. Defender it's that's been fun to.
Speaker 3: Watch and you have that great perspective as a really good defender on the infield and what are you seeing That it, says, hey this guy's gonna be. Fine and as a second basement in the big, Leagues, well we.
Speaker 11: Saw him in spring. TRAINING i mean routine. Plays, yeah we were, hoping you, know dominate the routine. Play but we saw him extend himself up the. Middle we saw him extend himself to his left in the, hole, dive get, up make plays and the arm is the arms coming through because he's turning double plays better than he ever has.
Speaker 3: A couple of kids at At Lake, County Jason cherio a lot of certainly a lot of advanced building for him based on what he did At lynchburg a year. Ago what are you seeing now as he continues his minor league.
Speaker 7: Journey, Yeah i'm seeing a kid right.
Speaker 11: Now it's got a on base percentage over four. Hundred he's not getting as many hits as he'd, like but he's putting up really good at, bats playing great, outfield and his energy is. Infectious so you, know he goes over, four he goes four for, four you wouldn't really know the. DIFFERENCE i think that's something that's going to carry him through some.
Speaker 7: Stretches where he might not actually be doing.
Speaker 3: Well one of the other names and an interesting, Situation Ralphie, velasquez who he saw in some major league games in spring, training was very. Impressive numbers, wise just okay to to start the. Year it's still again very. Early but what do you say from him in terms of the importance of going through some ups and downs that everybody, does and how he handles.
Speaker 11: That, YEAH i, MEAN I i love watching our players when they're going through times like, that trying to.
Speaker 7: Ask them questions about how they're.
Speaker 11: Feeling or you, know put it into, words what your swing feels, like.
Speaker 7: Or how's how's your how's your daily workmen? Going how are your?
Speaker 11: Routines and he's been putting to sit together some really good routines and playing good. Defense you, know he's he likes to win, too so he's a grinder and he. Cares so sometimes that care factor gets in the way because you want to get hits and help your.
Speaker 7: Team but he's still having good at.
Speaker 11: Bats and AND i have no worries about about.
Speaker 7: Him as a.
Speaker 3: Hitter Johnny mack always great to see you enjoying the heck out of this this current job for. You always great to see and thanks for coming. By my pleasure man Is john. McDonnell always fun to catch up with him and some good perspectives on some top prospects in the. System when we come, back we will visit With Stephen. Ostro he's the vice president of player development and he's been with The Lynchburg Ball club at the SINGLE a level for the past week or. So we'll talk to them about that team when we.
Speaker 12: Return With Progressive Customer, service there are lots of ways to connect with us so you never have to miss a second of your favorite.
Speaker 6: Sport because you'd much rather watch a ball.
Speaker 12: Go through a net one hundred and twenty four times in forty eight minutes when you don't really have to pay attention until the last, two and then somehow those two minutes we will take an.
Speaker 4: Hour you don't want to miss all.
Speaker 12: That, luckily you can chat With progressive on our, app online or over the phone without missing a single one of those times the ball goes through the metal. Circle Progressive Pashete Insurance company affiliates to other insurans not available in all states or.
Speaker 13: Situations, again the one too delivery swung out pound it day right, there she, Goes, well you're out of adjectives to describe this.
Speaker 4: Guy Oh Za ramirez.
Speaker 2: Simply, put one of the greatest players in the history Of cleveland.
Speaker 4: Baseball are you ready?
Speaker 14: Enough get up and counted?
Speaker 4: Down sometime and some time we should make it now.
Speaker 7: Who tomas his?
Speaker 3: Family so we're found to be from the east to the west south serview we are we well the Back Ats Guardians. Weekly our final. Segment we are joined out By Stephen, osterer the vice president of player development for The, guardians and we're Talking. Lynchburg he's been with that ball club for about a week or. So they're part of The Carolina League Low CLASS, a the first full season for most of the young players, there And asty talked about what they're looking for out of those young players as they get their first taste of full season pro. Baseball.
Speaker 14: Yeah, hey Hey, errosie thanks for having me on. Again. Yeah The Lynchburg hillcups club being our loy. Affiliate as you, mentioned a lot of young players who were either in their first year professionally with, us having been drafted last, year or in a lot of, cases their first year at a full season. Affiliate so typically in the early goings of the year for these, guys we're looking at how they're handling the, routines the day to day life of being out in an, affiliate how they're bouncing back from, playing and what that looks like from you, know just a routine, standpoint and how they're tackling their.
Speaker 3: Days, well let's get right into some of the position. Players, boy you talk about, youth he's still eighteen for a couple more. Weeks your, shortstop there well Been francisca who came into the season really just average, wise putting up some really nice. Numbers and what have you seen from him as he gets into that first full season at a full season.
Speaker 14: Affiliate, yeah he's he's one of our really young intellented, players you, know switch hitting shortstop who's still eighteen years. Old like you, mentioned you, know he's got a great, bat the ball. Skills you, know he's walking more than he strikes, out and despite some of the surface level numbers like batting average and ops not being maybe where he, wants you, know he's going through some swing adjustments that are, ENCOURAGING i think from our. Standpoints, so you, know with these young guys who are really, spending you, know their first time as a. Pro there's just so many facets that they're trying to learn and. Navigate you. Know we're more focused on the day to. Day there are teams that does consistent work that they're putting, in so these are probably more important than some of the outcomes we're. Seeing But welbn's a phenomenal hitter or a good. Defender we're excited about his year this.
Speaker 3: Year and another young guy also, Eighteen Luis, murrejo first basement. Outfielder looks like there's some power potential in.
Speaker 14: There, yeah no doubt he's got some. Juice he's i think one of the youngest players in the league right, now also eighteen years, old with a good chunk of time this, year going to be. Eighteen but big physical. Kid you can really really drive the ball and hit it. Hard he's got a few balls in PLAY i think this year over one hundred and ten miles an, hour which is elite for the level in the, age and has done some real damage against the right handed pitchers so. Far playing a lot of first, base some, outfield getting comfortable working through. Both, again with the young, guys we're just focusing on the day to day and ensuring he's able to get the work in and you, know adapting to both of those positions and getting used to the. Lifestyle but a lot of promise with the. Bat he's a great. Kid he works really, hard and we're excited to see him continue to do a lot of damage out.
Speaker 3: There shifting gears to some older. Players, comparatively a college drafted, kid Catcher Bennett thompson out Of, oregon and ran Into john McDonald the other day and then he, Said, hey This thompson kid is really, Impressive and what's been impressive for, you especially at a demanding.
Speaker 14: Position, yeah, yeah he's he has been very. IMPRESSIVE i love The Johnny mack quote on. That he's a really good receiver as a catcher and he's got a great. Glove he's been taking the line and share the reps behind the dish for us right now and has helped our young staff or young pitching staff, tremendously so helping navigate those guys into professional baseball and you, know their first full season as, well which is. Great on top of, that he's come out swinging the bat exceptionally. Well so he's drawn a ton of, walks he's not striking out really at, all and sitting in the middle of the, order driving him most of the most of the runs of the. Team so great start For. Bennett love what he's been doing behind the dish and still continuing to work through a number of things as he himself gets adjusted to that first full year of professional. Baseball but great start for.
Speaker 3: Him and another college drafted, Player Tommy, hawk who we actually saw in a couple of the major league games in spring. Training and how has the early season gone for him At.
Speaker 14: Lynchburg, yeah twenty three pick out Of vanderbilt that is spending another year here At. Lynchburg has been really good in the outfield for.
Speaker 4: Us you.
Speaker 14: Know he sets the table for us at the top of the lineup with a lot of, speed patient at the, play gets on basic, times leading the league and stolen bags right, NOW i think he is thirty three through twenty nine, games so quite the pace to keep. Up But tommy's played really well and he plays and trains really hard as well.
Speaker 3: Too Steven osterro is joining. Us he's the vice president of player development for The. Guardians a weekly minor league. Report we're focusing on the SINGLE a team in The Carolina, league The Lynchburg, hill and we shift our attention to the, mound and we'll start young With Braylan, dody a right, hander a high school drafted kid and last year's draft and he's already out at a full season. Club and what led you to, that BECAUSE i know sometimes you try and be really careful with the young.
Speaker 14: Kids, yeah that's that's exactly what it, Is. Rosie we try to take our time with the young kids and ensure that as we're sending them out to an affiliate that they're ready to, handle you, know not just the work and getting the outs and being productive staff, member but also being able to handle the day to day and the maturity that you need to have as a teenager going out and playing professional. Baseball So, braylin's like you, mentioned was drafted last. Year he's quite. Young you. Know his calling card out of the draft was having above average feel for the strike zone and creating movement on his. Pitches AND i think he's exceeded expectations thus far in a short. Sample so he's been really elite at getting his stuff in the zone and you, know maybe almost too much in the. Zone at times where he's going to have to learn how to pick his spots and expand the zone and get hitters to chase a little. Bit but you, know he's averaging ninety four months and now right now he's striking out over thirty percent of his. Batters he's not walking, anyone all the while being a teenager figuring out what professional baseball means and asking great questions and working really. Hard so we're really excited about having had sent him out and also the work that he's putting in and the adjustments he's making, already and obviously the performance has been very good, Too so really great For.
Speaker 3: Brilin and another picture college drafted picture out Of. Miami good program that The guardians have tapped into. Before With Andrew walters getting close to being back in the big. Leagues but a lefty, rafe sleshing. Jerk what can you tell us about him at an maybe a more experienced pitcher at this.
Speaker 14: Level, yeah, yeah he's another twenty four, pick fourth round out Of, miami like you know, it and he's been off to get start as. Well he's left you with a bit of a lower arm angle thre some unique looks for the. Hitters the focus for him has been really being aggressive in zone and he's done a really good job of that thus. Far so we've we've been flipping a little bit more focused towards developing the change up similar For, brail and building out some of those are autems to support long term development in the areas that he needs to grow. In despite having been through the college circuit with a good, program there's still lots to learn about being a professional pitcher and taking the ball every fifth or sixth day instead of once a week in. College so lots of growth there left For, raife you, know really exciting seeing him go out there and compete and make some of the adjustments already that we were hoping he would.
Speaker 3: Make and let's finish up with The Carolina league picture of The month for the month Of. April a youngster out Of venezuela by the name Of Joeblee, garcia a right, hander and we're talking before we went. On he was signed a little bit, later and it's something that The guardians have done in the. Past and what are you seeing from him and what are the benefits of waiting a little bit on an international sign if you.
Speaker 14: Can, Yeah, yeah so he was a twenty twenty two international. SIGN i believe he was nineteen when we got. Him you, KNOW i think the decision around deciding on what age and what level we bring those guys in is somewhat dependent on the quality picture that we. SIGN i think we saw a. Jobli there was a kind of upside to not only throwing, harder but being able to create some shapes on his pitches and create more. Movement and he's done a really good job with that since we've gotten. Him you're heading into the. Offseason last, year we challenged him a little, bit you, know up the velo and try to create a couple of distinct breaking, balls and he's done a nice job of coming back this year with both of those things in his. Pocket and you, know like you, Mentioned Carolina League pitcher of The month For, APRIL i think he's constricting out ho to forty five percent of the guys he's. Faced the velo's. Up he's sitting ninety three to ninety six for starting to build out the workload a little. Bit so it's exciting to see that development that he's taken on over the last six to ten months and run with that here With flinchbury to serve the.
Speaker 3: Year exciting stuff on the mound and position player wise From, Lynchburg, austy thanks so much for the time and we'll catch up with, You.
Speaker 14: Assume thanks so, Much rosie.
Speaker 3: As vice president of Player, Development Stephen Osterer, man that's going to do it for our show this. Week as, always thanks To Brian matze for helping to put things together each and every. Week we will join you next weekend From. Cincinnati The guardians will be taking on The reds next weekend down in The Queens. City should be a good time as, always so we hope you can join us. That until, then this Is Jim rosenhouse reminding you that you been listening To Guardians weekly on The Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio.
Speaker 1: Network Guardians weekly has been brought to you By progressive Helping guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance