Speaker 1: Doing a tremendous job for President Trump and America. My friend Lee Zelden, Lee, good morning, buddy. How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing fantastic. Good to be with you.
Speaker 1: Great to have you always, great to have you, Lee, And I tell you watching Hokell. I'll get to Hochell and Blakeman later in this conversation. I've been doing a lot of traveling, and I talked to Bruce every day, two or three times a day. But it's funny. It's funny that she puts this moratorium on data centers, so folks get ready to have slow Internet and difficulty connecting on your phone lines and all those things. She puts a moratorium on data center construction, but yet she has no issue charging New Yorkers nine dollars for congestion pricing when the pollution here has not gotten any better. Please make sense of that.
Speaker 2: For me, well, making sense of it is the impossible part. That's why so many people just haven't given up, and they sleeve you'll look back. I mean, it's it's bad. I mean, I remember there was a period of time where a lot of people, you would maybe they would head down to Florida for a few months, it's a seasonal thing. But I mean the way things have gone over the course of these last several years, people they looked to the Carolinas, Tennessee, Texas, Florida, they all look better and they're not looking back. So I mean, this congestion pricing, it's just another excuse for left wing Albany Democrats to put their hands in the pocket of New Yorkers who are already strapped. You know, some folks would say, well, it's only nine dollars, Well, for one, it's another nine dollars, and it's hitting the people the hardest who can least afford it. And for people who have to commute frequently. This isn't like a you know, nine dollars a year, nine dollars a month, for even nine dollars a week, they're having to pay it. And the whole excuse for it was to make it seem like as if there were these massive environmental impacts that were going to be positive. I mean, I said back then, I mean you'd end up with more truck traffic on the Crossbox Expressway, on the Staten Island Expressway. But as his new report came out of the city that we saw on the news here in recent days. It's not having the environmental impacts that they promised when they were passing their new excuse to put their hands in the pocket of cast out New Yorkers as bs. But no one can make sense of it. It's nonsensical, it is.
Speaker 1: And you know it's funny now when she talks about how great it is. She talks about reduced traffic, she talks about public transit improvements. He talks about less traffic, noise, all that stuff. But like you pointed out, there was also a promise that the inirquality would be better and the pollution would be less, and that's not the case. So all of a sudden, but Kathy Local, it's almost like that was never part of the equationally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's like, well, I wouldn't put this way. No one else does it anywhere else in America. So is it that, you know, Kathy Oakele's that much of a genius that she figured something out that no one else was able to figure out, Or maybe it's a really stupid idea that even the most left wing governments all across the entire country, like they all haven't implemented it because it's so stupid. But you know, maybe there's no care for those economic impacts. Maybe it's a punishment for the people who didn't vote for her on Long Island, the people didn't vote for her north of the city in the Hudson Valley. You have to community. Maybe she doesn't care about you know, folks from Jersey or you know, for for out of state. She wants the money and they want the money. I mean, you look at how much New York spends on their budget, and we have millions of less people than they do in Florida. We spend more on Medicaid alone, just Medicaid then Florida spends on their entire state budget. I mean, you look at education and you have elementary school kids in places like Mississippi who are scoring better on English language, arts and mass then you're seeing of elementary school kids in New York. But we spend what like two three times more per pupil than they do in Mississippi or Florida. But like it's all perpartments, and when you look at the metrics and how they're doing in school, you're getting better outcomes in places that spends so much less. Why Why is it that it costs so much to live here, it costs so much to run a state's budget, and you're just not getting the outcomes, the results you're looking for, and it's it's freaking competence. And people are like, you know what, enough is enough? Now you want to elect Mendonni to be the New York City mayor. Man, just what you thought in New York coudn't any worse.
Speaker 1: It got worse. And it's not just incompetence. It's corruption too. I mean, I'm not going to you know, throw out stuff there that hasn't been proven, but certainly there's a lot of rumors about Kathy her husband and the money that the Yes people have made from COVID to you know, to stadium money he's to. It's corruption, it's incompetence. It's a whole variety of issues. Why New York Because New York, as you just kind of pointed out, we don't have a money problem. We've got a spending problem. That's the issue. Right. And you mentioned Medicaid. I had doctor oz On at six point thirty this morning. Okay, he is exposing medicaid and medicare fraud all over the state. Queens for example, they got Chinese pharmacies raking in millions and millions of dollars and no one's getting any medication. I mean, what's going on in this state. You've done the same thing. You're the guy that really busted Stacy Abrams way back when Anthony Desposito, your Long Island buddy. He's done a great job with the Labor Department exposing fraud too, So not just congestion pricing, which basically is fraud. The fraud that you guys are uncovering all over the Trump administration is amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, we came into this position a year and a half ago and made this one of our top priorities. We've saved thirty over thirty billion dollars of canceled grants, canceled media subscriptions, real estate consolidation, staff efficiencies. We closed up by the EPA museum that almost no one even knew about her or even no one visited, and all told, in our first year at an agency with an annual operating budget of ten billion dollars a year, we found thirty billion dollars to be able to save. And the reason why was because in twenty twenty four, the reason why we were able to save that much money is because just before we got there in twenty four they obligated and spent over sixty billion dollars from EPA. It was more money than they even knew how to spend, and it was going to well connected friends. You referenced the Stacy Abrams connected NGL received two billion dollars. There are eight pass through entities that received twenty billion dollars in what was called Inflation Reduction Act. It should have been called the Inflation Expansion Act when Democrats controlled everything, and it goes to former Obama and Biden officials, former Democratic donors. They're all passed through entities, they're all getting paid, they're vig to run their piece of the pie, and the American taxpayers are getting screwed. So we come in zero tolerance policy for any waste and abuse. We made a top priority out of the gate, and I'm proud of it. And man, you know, like zero tolerance means like if someone wants to come to me and say, hey, I have an idea on how to save one thousand dollars, you have my attention. Because it always pissed me off in government when you'd have people who may they did run a federal agency. And you know, you say, well, I have an idea to save a thousand or one hundred thousand, or a million or fifty million. It's like, well that's not enough, Like you don't have my attention. I need. I only want to save big numbers. Man, I'll save I'll save it ten dollars if you came to me with an idea of how we could save money. And that's what we owed the American taxpayer. And that's the way that the Trump administration has approached this.
Speaker 1: Done a great job, all you guys, starting with you, Lee. I got to be honest EPA administrator, Lee Zelden. So you know, the state does all these money issues. And you know, Lee, as well as anybody, you did a good job of pointing this out when you ran for governor, that we have all this gold right under our feet, all over the state, right gold, and yet this idiotic governor buys energy, buys energy from Pennsylvania because Pennsylvania is taking advantage of what they've got and we've got the same exact thing. Come Onley, what's that all about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, I mean this is one of the reasons is why the word retard's coming back. I mean, we have so much resource under us in this state, and you have people who live in New York who like are in communities that are a low income and that they're looking across the border into Pennsylvania, where in Pennsylvania they're tapping into these these supplies, these resources and they're doing great. And by the way, this isn't just like a Republican or Democrats thing in Pennsylvania's it's both parties team together a while ago and said, you know, we need natural gas. We need it in order to be able to survive, to thrive. We need reliable baseball power, we need affordable, affordable energy. We have these resources. It's important for our economy, it's important for jobs. So they're tapping into it. But in this state, the energy policy is so stupid, so stupid. They won't she won't sign off on the Constitution pipeline to deliver natural guests through New York and into New England. You know, they won't reverse the band to extract natural guess, they won't allow gas look ups on new construction. They say climate goals that they know that they will not be able to meet. But they will cause tremendous pain on people can at least afford it, even trying to make any progress towards these unrealistic goals. I mean, you look at the energy policy where you know they're pushing WIN captain Ocal pushes WIN which is an intermittent source as if it's a substitute for base load power. And then they want to throw battery energy storage systems and basically every community all over the place, even though you're getting all those feedback from people who just don't want it in the middle of their residential neighborhood, and all you're getting is the middle finger from the state upstate saying we don't want solar farms. Meanwhile, the state is saying, well, you know we have local control in the state, not local control, and we're saying you're getting more solar farms. And it the energy policy in New York. And I've been at all fifty states, so in all fifty states in my first nine months as EPA administrator, I've seen the good, the bad, the ugly of how to do energy policy. And man, that there's so many red states that have so much lower energy costs, so much more suppsely. They don't deal with they don't have to deal with any brownouts or blackouts on the horizon. And it's all about good governance. But in New York, Man, this is this is not a way for you know, for New Yorkers who don't realize what's going on everywhere else in the country that you might say, well, maybe this is the norm. This is not the norm. No, this is the exceptions the norm.
Speaker 1: Now we're the worst. I mean, let's face it, and will you tell me Lee, because some of this stuff is a bit complicated. I understand there are some dangers with data centers, I get it. But overall, if you know them going in and you prepare the center, so it's gonna be okay, you can't argue how valuable they are. Why would she want to stop those from coming up here in New York.
Speaker 2: Most Americans want the United States to win this AI race against China, and uh. Many Americans have valid questions they want to ask about data center projects. They're asking important questions and they should. They want to make sure that when a data center is built that their bills are going down, not up. And President Trump has this ratepayer protection Pledge, which has true made tremendous progress, and now you're having data center projects being built where it's providing net benefits the ratepayers as opposed to the opposite. The second piece is that a lot of Americans want to make sure that a project is going to be a net provider onto the grid, not a net taker from the grid. There's behind the meter work, they're building their own small modular reactors. They're generating their own energy, and they're providing power onto the grid more than they're taking. That's a good question for Americans to ask. And Americans dosn't want to know about water. I mean, is a data center going to have a closed loop data center? Is it going to be one hundred percent recyclable water or is it going to be continuously tapping into a water supply. It's good to ask these questions, but to do a moratorium, you're going to have billion, multi billions of dollars and tens of billions of dollars in these projects just going to other states. It's not like, you know, you put you slap a one year moratorium and in these data centers and go oh yeah, no, that's that's cool. We're just going to send our hands and do absolutely nothing and not go to this other state that actually wants us. So you're losing out the jobs, the economic benefits, and and the craziest thing or that you know, you have people who are on their phone go on a social media platform saying we should not have any data centers, like not realizing the irony here of just how much data centers are required for you to be able to power your phone and to power that social media platform. I mean, we have it in our lives, and we can't lose this race to China. It'll be so much harder to catch up later if we fell behind. And thank god that there's only there. I mean, there's one too many Kathy Hopels as governors of states New York. But fortunately it's only one out of fifty.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's true. Tuma. Let you run here, going back to the congestion pricing thing, qruitct me if I'm wrong, okay, but this report on the pollution that hasn't gotten any better, despite what Kathia Hockel said. Originally, this comes from here from New York, right. This wasn't put out there by presiding Trump or Leezeldon. This is New York basically riding on New York.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's exactly what it is. I mean, this is this is a New York governmental study that's coming out talking about how it doesn't have the environmental benefits that were promised. Shockingly, Wow, we're all blown away. I was saying this four years ago, that it wasn't gonna happen, right, and then you're gonna have small cars, you know, small vehicle traffic going through you know, small side streets of Queens and Brooklyn trying to get routes where they don't have to take This is what I'll say, four years ago before one in the place that they would be going for other routes so they don't have to pay the fee that you would have all that extra trucks, all those extra trucks going through Staten Island and the Bronx Like, this isn't this isn't one of those like hindsights twenty twenty. You're like, oh man, we shouldn't. We should have saw it coming. No, of course we saw it coming. We talked about it then and we're like, this is a really bad idea. You shouldn't go forward with it. And you know, damn the torpedoes. They say they'll they'll go slap their fee and put their hands in the pockets of hard work in New Yorkers anyway. And New Yorkers are I mean, they're pissed. Yeah, and that's why so many have left. And it's said, it's just it's you know, it said that somebody who loves the state, who was raised in a state, their families here, their life is here, and because of these policies out of Alney like for that reason, they hit their breaking point they leave. I hate that.
Speaker 1: I hate that too, got it. I can't stand talking to Sean Hannity, and I talked to them about four times a week. I got to hear every day, when are you coming to Florida? When are you coming to Florida? Show them be quiet? Okay, you love Long Island. Long Island just saw her. But yeah, everybody's leaving and loving life Nashville, Tennessee. Every daily I see somebody he's moving to Nashville, Tennessee. So last one, Bruce Blakeman, I know you love Bruce Soda. Why both Long Island guys. Okay, so he has actually in a better position than you because when you ran against Kathy. She was relatively new right, so yeah, she was doing a lot of the same things that Cuomo did, and she was making some mistakes. But Blakeman, Blakeman now has a chance and went against this lady when now, unlike your race, Lee Zelden, she's got years of mistakes that he can jump on. How lucky is he? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there are people in politics where you know, they just aren't known, and if they're known, then people will like them, but they have to get their name out. And then there are people in politics where as more and more people become familiar with you, the more people realize that you need to go, like you're not good, you need to leave. And that's the reality that you have right now in the in the state. I mean, like every single New Yorker you could ask them, like, what's what's your breaking point in the state? Low income, middle income, high income. You could be from the city, a suburb, rural New York. You ask everyone like, what's your breaking point in New York? They've thought about it, it's crazy, Like you'll get a detailed answer like why why why do you think about this? What? Why is that your breaking point? And there and it all gets back to the same thing. It's just the policies of the state. They feel restricted. Freedom. Economic freedom is freedom, you know, with with regards to their physical safety freedom, you know, going back and thinking of you know, pictures of Kathy Jkle wearing you know, not wearing masks, you know, standing with four year olds that did have to wear masks during COVID, right, you know, because of because of these pursuits, you know, people are have just they've realized what is causing this to come of the state. And the more people get that, which has happened now over the course of these last few years, the more people are like, you know, it's not like, oh, I know, you know, I know her now, like hey, this is great and comfortable whether her you know, she's my governor have a lot of pride. It's it's like, man, we need to do a heck of a lot better than this. And a lot of folks left New York before I ran because they had enough. A lot of people left New York right after I ran. They're like, man, this, you know, this is just going to continue to get worse. You know. Fortunately, there's still you know a bunch of people who are still here and you can make a difference. But doesn't happen on its own. I mean, folks, need you need to show up and make it happen, and you can't just expect everyone else to do it for you.
Speaker 1: It's exhausting. Just trust me, Lee, Okay, it's much easier to go to the beach in Hollendale today. It's exhausting. But Man, I love talking to you, I really do you. You're so fantastic epa administrator. You're a great politician here. You're always going to be a great, great, great great Yorker, and I just love talking to you.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm so proud of you. What a great job. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Thanks San, It's always good to be man.
Speaker 1: You two families, good by the way, your wife, your daughters, everybody's good.
Speaker 2: Girls are girls are heading back to their third year of school and you know, still having scored to Peter Luger's invite, so you know, keep it all in all on perspective, yep. Although I'll never I'll never let you live down. The very first time I did an interview with the great Sid Rosenberg, and it was Bernie and Sid yep, And right before I came on air, you were saying, you know a couple of unkind things about Shirley and Mastic. Where it Where is my hometown? And then I come on air and then you ask me where I'm from, and I tell you I'm sure. And for all those listeners out there who were like, why does why did sid Rosenberg always call Zelda in the Pride of Shirley Long Island, you have to be you have to be such a hardcore, longtime sid Rosenberg listener that you know of the very first time I came on Backstory, which was just freaking hilarious.
Speaker 1: That is because my uncle Leon and an Cynthia lived in Shirley. We lived in Brooklyn. First of all, it took like five hours to get there, okay, And second of all, it looked a little rough. And let's be honest, your girls are doing homework one night there were gunshots outside. I mean to remind you of that, Okay, but I know it's a true story. But yes, I used to make moune of Shirley and call you the Pride of Shirley. But it does seem like, you know, Bruce does a great job in Nashau County. That ed roal Main and those folks are doing a very good job in Suffolk County too, Yes.
Speaker 2: No doubt. I mean Long Island is I mean that is where I'm born, born and raised, and you know, they had their challenges, just like everywhere else in the country. But I mean there's a reason why when President Trump was in Nassau County, you were hearing statements about how people will not rest working inside this Trump administration until every county is as safe as Nasau County. And you know, same thing goes. You know with regards to Long Island as a whole, you have confident leadership in both counties and U Yeah, so everything that we're saying about Kathy Hogle or man Donnie out of the city should be no negative reflection on great leadership that we have in Suffie County, had Romain in that team, and Bruce Blakeman and his team in Nassa, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Just a week ago today the President was there in Nashville County. I was standing right there.
Speaker 2: By the state were right there.
Speaker 1: I was, Yeah, that was awesome.
Speaker 2: Liza and and Kelsey Grammar and everyone else is like, man, that's did Rosenberg.
Speaker 1: That's true. You know, the first The first hand that grammar shook was mine just seeing O Lee.
Speaker 2: First one and he hasn't watched it since.
Speaker 1: He actually elbowed Todd Blanche to the side and said, let me get this in f us Okay, Todd, take it easy. Oh that was a great Daylee's out And I couldn't love you more than I do. I really love your pal. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Thanks God, bless you please.
Speaker 1: I do love that guy, LESE. Eldon and he's so smart.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to Sit in Friends in the Morning. You can hear Sit and Friends in the Morning week day morning six. If you like the podcast, share it with your friends and listen anytime at WABC radio dot com and download the WABC Radio app. Hit that subscribe button on all major podcast platforms. Plus follow WABC on social on Instagram, TikTok
Speaker 1: Facebook, and X see you next time for a new episode, so you never have to wonder what the heck is going on here