Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Path Went Chile for part two of our series about the disappearance of Frederick Vlentage. Robin, do you want to catch everyone up on what we talked about in our previous episode?
Speaker 2: Well, this is a special Halloween themed episode because part one just happened to be released on October the thirty first, and we decided to cover it because it has a UFO angle to it. And the case also took place on October the twenty first, nineteen seventy eight, which just happens to be my birth date, so it probably means I was prettydestined to grow up with an interest in unsolved mysteries. But it takes place in Australia and Frederick Valenticho was a twenty one year old pilot who lived in Melbourne and was going on a trip across Bass Strait on a Sezna one eighty two aircraft before he suddenly vanished without a trace, and during his final radio transmission with an air traffic controller, his last words work quote it's hovering and it's not an aircraft, which was followed by these strange metallic sounds, and after that Valentage vanished without a trace. So since they gotta find him or his plane. Speculation started to run wild that perhaps he could have been kidnapped by a UFO because there were other sightings from independent eyewitnesses in the area that night who reported seeing strange lights in the sky, and there was even a photographer who thought that he captured an unidentified flying object on camera flying around in the area where Valentage went missing. So they've analyzed this case for the past forty years and there's been speculation that if Valentage was suicidal or something, he could have staged his disappear apearance in order to make anyone believe that he was abducted by the UFO. But to this day, they've never found him or any plane wreckage to prove that he crashed. So he's officially still considered to be missing and we don't know what happened to him. Well, like I just said, since this is the first UFO case we've ever covered on the path with Chile, this is going to be an interesting analysis. It would be so easy to just cry out aliens as the explanation for Valentage's disappearance and leave it at that, but that's not what this podcast is about, so we're going to try and figure out the most logical explanation for what happened. Of course, one of the biggest obstacles you'll face when researching UFO stories or anything paranormal for that matter, is figuring out how reliable the sources are. When you delve into this case. Online, you're going to find some articles which one hundred percent believed that Valentage was abductive by a UFO, and some of the theories are pretty out there. One of the craziest stories I found, which was on a blog, which claimed that in nineteen eighty two, Apsole was discovered near the Soviet Union China border containing a plate with a written message from Frederick Valentich who said he had been captured by aliens so they could recruit him to become a pilot for one of their aircrafts. Okay, then, well, if this story was true, then those aliens must have had some pretty rotten luck with selecting their candidates, because, as we're about to share with you, Frederick Valentiche was a pretty mediocre pilot at best, so they probably would have been better off abducting someone a lot more qualified. Needless to say, there are no credible official sources out there for this story about the capsule and the plate, so I'm just going to ignore it. But the big advantage with analyzing this case as opposed to many other UFO stories is the discovery in twenty twelve of the digital version of the government file on Valentage's disappearance and the National Archives of Australia. It's pretty much been a godsend for researchers as it contains official documentation and original newspaper articles about the case. So we have lots of credible stories which can simply focus on the facts rather than wild conspiracy theories.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unless you have this idea of this plate in the capsule that's actually in that digital version of the government file, I would also have to disregard something that sounds a little bit crazy, the fact that they would say, hey, you know, this is Frederick and I've been captured so that I can be a pilot for this alien spacecraft. I'm assuming you didn't see pictures of this or that's not documented in the government file.
Speaker 2: Correct, No, I read the whole thing when I covered this on the Trail and Cold years ago. There is nothing about that in there, and the only source is this blog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll disregard that too, then, But when you do talk about this case, one of the things that I've been thinking about since we recorded part one was that there were so many bizarre things that happened in this case, which I'm sure we'll dive back into in part two. But one of the things that blows my mind is that he really is on a radio transmission at the time he disappears, that he saw this spacecraft, and that it's not an aviation vehicle, it's not something like that, it's a bizarre flying object. And then it just goes silent, and I might question it except for the fact that there's other people who validate this experience as well. They say they saw this object floating in the air. And then you have to look at Frederick's other parts of the story, where he is supposed to be on this flight to a certain destination, but the destination never knew he was coming. He was also supposed to meet his wife in a time that would not have allowed him to make the trip he said he was going to make, and so there's so many conflicting stories. UFO is exciting and interesting and very intriguing because of that radio transmission. But then there's some other storylines that I'm hoping we get into in part two because they've been on my mind. Where was he going? Why didn't he tell the truth in the first place? Why didn't an anyone really know the plan? I'm dying to find those things zone.
Speaker 1: And if this was a setup? Like what kind of luck did he have that other people would have seen this unidentified flying object in the air at the same time that he was on the radio with radio operator and calling it in, Like, what are the chances that that would happen if you were planning to leave your life and start a new life or something that you would just happen upon luck like that?
Speaker 2: That is true. I mean, this story might not have had the same impact if it wasn't for the independent eyewitnesses who reported seeing lights in the sky that night. And Ashley is correct that this has several mysteries within a mystery, because even if you disregard his disappearance, there's a lot of things about Valentage's story which don't add up because he said he was flying to a certain airport, even though they claimed they had no idea he was coming and did not even turn the lights on that night, and like, he promised to meet his girlfriend, even though if you time the amount of time it would take for him who fly to this location and fly back, there's no way he would have made it in time to meet her at their scheduled points. So it still makes you wonder, like, what more is there to this story and why did he go out there that night?
Speaker 1: So before we delve into any theories, we need to provide some backstory about Frederick Valentich's aviation career. Long story short, it was not great. It sounds like flying was Valentage's number one passion and that he really didn't want to do anything else. But unfortunately for him, he was just not very adept at it. He'd applied to enlist in the Royal Australian Air Force on two separate occasions, but was rejected because of inadequate education qualifications. Becoming a commercial airline pilot was his backup plan, but he wasn't having much luck at that either. On two separate occasions, he failed all five commercial license examination subjects. Just one month before he went missing, he failed three more commercial license exam subjects, and it turned out the Valentage had been lying to his family, girlfriend, and several other people about passing these exams. If that wasn't enough, Valentage had some black marks on his flying record, as he'd received a warning on one occasion for flying into a controlled zone in Sydney. Not only that, but there were two separate incidents in which Valentage deliberately flew into a cloud, an offense so egregious that he was potentially facing criminal prosecution. Since Valentage's prospects of an aviation career seemed to be going down in the toilet, there was a lot of speculation that he could have staged his disappearance in order to go off and start a new life somewhere, or even staged a very elaborate suicide by deliberately crashing his plane into the water. Due to Valentage's well documented fascination with UFOs, it was easy for some people to believe that his final radio transmission could have been a hoax for the purposes of making the world believe that he'd been abducted by aliens.
Speaker 3: I was wondering that too when we talked about Frederick's intro. It wasn't just aviation. He had an obsession with UFOs, and I believe he had even told a friend or talked about this idea that it would be wild to be abducted by an alien, or that he was welcoming a trip to meet aliens. And so if that is the case, it does seem very bizarre that you know, yes, he would be someone who's open to it, So could that open a portal to access him? Maybe, But it's almost as bizarre as if you know, you look at us and we do a homicide podcast and god forbid, one of us ended up murdered. It's like, what are the chances that someone with such an isolated passion ends up a victim of that or engaged in that. It's just very odd. Part of me wondered was this something to make him a big deal in the UFO realm because he was so fascinated with it.
Speaker 2: It is interesting that he had such a fascination for the subject, because I've seen so many stories about people who acclaimant who have seen a UFO or a close encounter with a UFO, would claim. Before this incident happened to me, I was a complete skeptic. I did not believe that UFO's Raeliens existed, but this whole event changed my mind. But Valentiche is pretty much the polar opposite of that, where he had a devout interest in UFOs, and we even talked on a last episode that six days he went before he went missing, he told his girlfriend, if the UFO landed right in front of me, I would not go in without you, which was intended to be romantic. So it is weird that this would happen just so soon after he expressed this fascination about leaving the planet with aliens. The fact that Valentis was clearly lying about the details of his trip to King Island also added more fuel to this stage disappearance theory. He told conflicting stories about why he was making this trip and never told King Island Airport about his arrival, which seemed to suggest that Valentaice never had any intention of landing there. At the time of Valentage's final transmission, he would have had enough fuel in his tanks to travel an additional eight hundred kilometers oh it was in his flight plan. There's still some debate about whether Valentage was actually near Cape Otway when he went missing, as this was uncontrolled airspace, so his plane didn't actually show up on radar. There was also a lighthouse keeper in Cape Outway at that time who should have been directly under Valentage's flight path, but he did not recall seeing or hearing any aircraft that night. But as intriguing as the stage disappearance theory is this case generated so much publicity that if Valentage was alive, I think some sort of evidence would have surfaced to support that during these past four decades. And even if Valentice himself managed to disappear successfully, what happened to the Cessna one E two? Unless he somehow deliberately crashed the plane into the water and swam to safety. I just don't know how he could have destroyed an aircraft so thoroughly that no trace of it has ever been found. This seems like a lot of complicated planning for a twenty year old who no insult intended, was not exactly known for being a super genius.
Speaker 3: And you have to remember he's not actually noted as being a great pilot either, So a water landing in a small plane, it seems like the risk of death would be so significant that could he really master a water landing and then make it to sure. It seems very odd that no one would see him. Seems very odd he wouldn't die in that attempt. It also seems bizarre that if he did land elsewhere, that no one saw a plane landing at that time at any given airport or airstrip. So I just don't think, given his aviation background, that he would have that ability to do a water landing, successfully get the plane to disappear, and successfully swim to Shora just seems a little bit too elaborate.
Speaker 1: All that being said, however, we wouldn't be one hundred percent against the idea of Valentage fabricating the details about the hovering object during his final radio transmission. Remember, this incident was only a year removed from the release of Steven Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind, one of the biggest Hollywood blockbusters of all time, so UFOs were definitely a hot topic. In fact, Star Wars also came out the previous year, so sci fi in general was red hot at that time. Several years ago, the Skeptoid podcast released an episode about this case, and the host, Brian Dunning played audio from a very famous scene in Close Encounters of the third kind, where an air traffic controller speaks with some commercial airline pilots who believe they've encountered a UFO. When you compare the dialogue in that scene to Valentich's conversation with Steve Robi, there are a lot of similarities. It's been established that Valentie you did see Close Encounters, So if he wanted to give off the false impression that he was being abducted by a UFO, perhaps he harkened back to his memories of that scene in order to decide what to say. If Valentice really was planning on suicide and he felt that creating an impression was the best possible way to go out in a blaze of glory, as the mystery surrounding his disappearance would ensure that he'd be remembered forever. I know that they've conducted an extensive investigation into Valentic's background, and everyone who knew him did not believe that he ever would have considered suicide. But it's fairly common for people who show no obvious suicidal tendencies to shock everyone by going through with it. If Valentage's failure to achieve his dream of becoming a successful pilot was too much for him. Who's to say that that wouldn't have motivated him to take his own life.
Speaker 3: Or could he have been struggling with some kind of mental health issue because he gets in this plane and is flying. He's doing reckless things earlier on in his career, where he's flying into a cloud where he's not he's flying into controlled areas without permission, all these different things that kind of show this instability and irresponsibility when he's.
Speaker 1: Flying impulse control issues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, So I'm wondering is it possible that he gets in this plane, he has this plan where he's going to he doesn't contact anybody because he's irresponsible, and then he's just having this kind of mental health breakdown in the middle of it, saying that he experiences that he's in the middle of this movie basically that he's just seen and then really does go down and is deceased. Maybe intentional or not intentional, but he could have been delusional at the time and kind of putting himself in that movie scene as reality because I've seen that before with mental health breakdowns, or someone's creating a false reality putting themselves in some parallel world that they've witnessed before, and so that's the possibility as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And you can see the pattern of deceit where he's telling his level ones, he's lies as well, and that can belendicative. Obviously we're not diagnosing him, but it could be indicative of like a cluster B disorder, some type of personality disorder, or it could just be I mean, I'm not saying he's a pathological liar. I don't know his behavior and other circumstances, but I mean actually brought that up, that he's doing things that are reckless and things that are definitely showing poor impulse control, which could be a hallmark of many different disorders. I have bipolar two and ADHD. Both of those have poor impulse control patterns associated with them. So there's a lot of others as well. But I think it's a very valid point that you bring up, Ashley. It's very possible that it wasn't just like, oh, I've decided that I'm going to end my own life. It could be predicated by him suffering from some type of mental health disorder. How old was he again, Robin twenty years old, I mean that could be right in line with what could be a typical onset of a lot of different psychiatric disorders. I mean, if it was like a cluster B disorder, this would have been far earlier. But we don't know all of that information, so that's really interesting.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and this is nineteen seventy eight in Australia, so they're probably not going to be diagnosing things like that. And you're right, it could have been a non planned thing where he just impossibly went on a decided to go on a flight because he may have known that I could lose my license, my days of being able to fly your numbers, So let's go on this joy ride and maybe look for some UFOs or something, and then something wound up going horribly wrong. The one red flag you really cannot ignore is Valentage's personal obsession with UFOs. Like I said earlier, I've seen a lot of interviews with people who claim to have had a UFO encounter, and they'law often say they used to be a complete skeptic and never believed in UFOs until they personally saw one. But that philosophy wouldn't apply to Valentage. Hypothetically, if aliens did come to Earth and abducted Valentage, it seems like one hell of a coincidence that they managed to select someone with a devout interest in the subject, who mentioned the possibility of encountering a UFO to his girlfriend only six days earlier. Remember he told her quote, if a UFO landed in front of me right now, I would go in it, but never without you. End quote. I think think he actually thought that was some sort of romantic line. So it's easy to see why a guy like this might be compelled to fabricate a hoax. But unlike many other famous incidents where people claim to have been abducted by extraterrestrials, Biledgage disappeared and never returned. So, assuming he wasn't planning suicide, could Bledgig have staged the radio transmission because he was planning to disappear for a few days before he returned to share a fantastic story about how he'd been abducted by aliens. If this was his attention, something could have gone wrong and caused his plane to crash, so he never got a chance to make it that far. Well. In Beledgig's defense, Steve Roby has always maintained that he thought Valentage sounded genuinely perturbed during his final radio transmission and did not believe he was orchestrating a hoax. And the reason you can't be wanted to persent skeptical about the UFO angle is because there are independent eye witnesses who could corroborate seeing strange things in the area that night. Of course you'll see differing accounts from different sources. Is about whether people were seeing things in the sky before or after Baluntache's disappearance made the news, But it sounds like a lot of these witnesses reported seeing a fast moving white light, and during newspaper articles from that time period, the Mount Stromlow Observatory confirmed this was a peak time period for a meteorite storm and that they were averaging ten to fifty meteorite sightings that night. So maybe this is what many of the witnesses actually saw.
Speaker 3: That's one of the things I was going to ask, is when you have these people coming forward and saying, hey, we also saw this hovering craft that didn't seem like an airplane.
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 3: After the disappearance and after this was a big story because while there's multiple family members validating it in one case, and you have other people coming forward as well. If it was after this story hit the news, it's very possible that these people wanted to be part of the story, and whether they genuinely saw something or not, they were kind of informed via the news of what they had seen or possibly seen, and once that idea got in their head, oh this could have been a UFO. While we saw a UFO. Wow, we're going to be part of this case. It kind of takes on a life of its own. If the reports came after his disappearance hit the news, well.
Speaker 2: We do know that most of the reports came out after his disappearance made the news, And in a moment, we're going to talk about a guy named Ken Hansen who did not come forward until years after the fact, which, on what hand, could cause you to question his credibility, but on the other hand, makes it sound like he's not someone who wanted to get immediate attention and notoriety about the whole thing. But I'm sure there were some people who may have seen it and forgotten about it and just did not realize the significance because maybe by the time Bilnta's disappearance made the news. They had forgotten about what they saw, and not to.
Speaker 1: Be pedantic, but what do we think are the chances that these people are going to be able to conflate a UFO citing that they say is hovering with a meteorite, like a meteorite is going to move it like with a very specific trajectory and it's not going to hover.
Speaker 2: That is true, like the siding from ken Hansen talks specifically about a green light hovering, and I don't think many meteorites are going to look like a green light.
Speaker 1: However, the one sighting which needs to be addressed is the one that Robin just mentioned from ken Hansen, because he specifically claimed that he saw green light in the sky, which would match the description the Valentage gave during his radio transmission. It's true that Hanson never went public with this sighting until years after Valentich's account of the green light was already public knowledge, But apparently on the morning after the incident, Hanson mentioned the green light to his coworkers, and at that point the details of Valentiche's radio transmission had not been yet made public. Hanson's co workers were skeptical of his story, which is why he just decided to drop the subject and never mentioned it again for years. If Hanson really did mention the green light that morning, then this lends credence to the idea that he actually saw it and wasn't just recalling the light years after the fact. It seems likely that Hanson and his family are not making up the story about their sighting because Hanson has always kept his real name out of the spotlight, so it doesn't seem like he's seeking publicity. In fact, when Hanson appeared in an Unsolved Mystery segment about the story, which aired in nineteen ninety three, he would not show his face on camera and was interviewed in silhouette. While we're on the subject, here's an interesting piece of trivia about the Unsolved Mystery segment. During the reenactment where Hanson and his family see the green light, one of the nieces played by Lisa mccoon, who went on to become a pretty famous actress in Australia after starring in the police drama TV series Blue Healers. So I guess this is pretty much the Australian equivalent of when Matthew McConaughey started off his career by acting in an Unsolved Mysteries reenactment. Anyway, the alternative explanation which has been pushed forward for Hanson's is that valentici Is Cessna had a green navigation light on his right wing tip. So i Valentage was flying through the air with his right wing tip up and Hanson was looking at it from a distance, it could have appeared to him that there was a separate green light from another aircraft flying above Valentage's Cessna. But the counterpoint to this is that Hanson lived near an airstrip and constantly saw airplanes taking off at night, so he was fairly knowledgeable about them. If the green light was nothing more than the navigation light from Valentice's wingtip, there's a good chance that he would have been able to spot that.
Speaker 3: It is very interesting too that he is in a silhouette in his interview and that he uses a different name, and that he might have told people the morning of and then almost ridicule at the time, because if you're talking about UFOs, especially back when this case occurred, you would have people say like, are you crazy, man, Like you're absolutely crazy, and they'd be mocking him and ridiculing him, and so I think some of that does lend credence to the fact that his sighting could be legitimate, and there were multiple people in the car that agreed that they had also seen that green light. Could it have been a plane light, of course, and like you said, given the position, it might not have looked like the light on the wingtip. But it's hard to say what occurred because you did have Valentage sitting there and describing a green light as well. So these stories do line up. It was the same night, and you have some one familiar with airplanes who says it wasn't that I saw something different at the time. I didn't come forward because everybody kind of teased me and shut me down. I don't want to be recognized for this story, but I do want to validate what this man was saying.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it does seem like too much diffical incidence that he would mention seeing the green light, even though Blentage said he saw a green light on the radio transmission at approximately the same time. So I Valentage is telling the truth. It's very unlikely that he is looking for looking at the light from his own wingtip of course, the UFO theory gained a lot more credence when Roy Manifold took that strange photograph at Cape Otway featuring an unexplained black mark. I know that ground Saucer Watch analyzed the photo and determined that it was likely a large object flying in the sky, but you have to keep one thing in mind. These guys were a UFO research group, so you can't rule out the possibility that there was some confirmation bias present, and they reached this conclusion because they were just seeing what they wanted to see. During the Unsolved Mystery segment, it was mentioned that a second analysis was performed on the photo years later, and they thought the black mark was probably nothing more than a developing error. I couldn't really find out much information about this second analysis or who actually performed it, But if this analysis is from a credible source, then I'm willing to believe the simple explanation that it's all just an error. Honestly, if it wasn't for Hanson's eyewitness account and Manifold's photograph, it would be a lot easier to discredit the UFO abduction theory. But I also personally think it's difficult to one hundred percent debunk either of these pieces of evidence. So this does add an extra level of intrigue to the story.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because you see this with bigfoot sightings and UFO sightings and all kinds of things, where you have two different camps. One that's the experts in that field who want to see a UFO, a bigfoot, a YETTI, and they say, look, here's proof right here. And then you have an entirely different group who looks at the same piece of evidence and says, this is proof that it doesn't exist, This is a hoax, that this is not real. And so that's almost what's going on here. You have a group that's confident and what they see, and you have a group who's counteracting this claim and saying that's not what's on this film. It's an error. And so it's one of those things that almost depends on what camp you're in. Do you want it to show a UFO, do you want it to be an error. I'd love to know more about the second analysis, because it was probably done years later and with better equipment, and I would lean more towards there being an error on the film than the original analysis being more accurate than a more recent one.
Speaker 1: I thought in Part one we established that the second analysis was done pretty quickly after.
Speaker 2: Let me just double check it here.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure you said that in part one because we were wondering if there was better equipment. But you said that it was done in like a couple of years after or something.
Speaker 2: It just said many years later, So I don't know what that means. I mean, the incident happened in nineteen seventy eight and the Unsolved Mystery segment aired in nineteen ninety three, so I don't know how much closer it was to seventy eight than ninety three. It doesn't give a specific date.
Speaker 1: It would be so great if we could get somebody to analyze it today.
Speaker 2: That's true. I'm surprised nobody has tried to do that with modern equipment, because with that level of equipment, it would probably be much easier to determine if it really was just a developing error.
Speaker 1: You would think with all the UFO fans out there, I guess maybe you need to have access to the original, but I would think with all you know, the alien officionaudos, they would be looking at into this, and like Ashley said, you could have confirmation bias depending on which lens you're looking through. You may want to see that this is genuine, or you might want to see that this is a hoax, and so that could influence your perception of exactly what you're seeing. The biggest piece of unexplained evidence in this story is the metallic scraping sounds at the end of Valentage's radio transmission. We mentioned during our last episode that while transcripts of Valentage's final transmission are available, the actual recording has never been released publicly, though it has been reported that it may have been broadcast once on Australian radio shortly after Valentic's disappearance, before it was confiscated by the authorities. In nineteen seventy nine. A copy of the recording was provided to Valentich's father so he'd be able to hear his son's last words, but he was under the strict instructions not to release it well. A few years later, he did make a copy of the recording for a NASA research scientist, Richard Haynes, said Analyze, and when Haines was interviewed on the TV show The Unexplained Files years later, they were granted permission to play seventeen seconds of the actual audio of the metallic scraping sounds. After his analysis of the recording, Haines published his findings in an article of the Journal of UFO Studies, and he expressed his opinion that Valentage could have produced the metallic sounds by king his microphones pressed to talk switch very quickly. I'm not sure if he would have done this on purpose, but Valentage apparently did have a habit of clicking the microphone button after transmitting. He often neglected to put the microphone back on the rack and had a tendency to activate it by mistake, which meant that whoever was listening on the other end might hear sounds they weren't supposed to hear. Valentage would also sometimes place the microphone on his lap, so the metallic noises simply simply could have been the sound of him moving his seat forward in conclusion as possible, though seventeen seconds of noise might be completely mundane, but because Volentage was never heard from again, their creepiness wound up being amplified.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure, it leaves you wondering what the heck happened, is something occurring to the plane to Valentage himself what's going on? But we when we look back at his aviation record and how we look at the way he was quote irresponsible and really didn't follow the rules of the air. He was known for clicking his microphone and leaving it off the rack and things like that. I mean, you can easily explain away the metal scrapings, but then what happened. Could the metal scrapings be him going down? Could it be him hitting the water or trying to make a landing. But you would think he would say something into the mic at that point, like may day, I'm going down or you know something's about to take me. I just feel like there would have been more radio correspondence at the end of that if he knew what was occurring in this camp where I'm defaulting to more of a mental health crisis where he took off with a plan in his mind that was not fully thought out because he wasn't in his right mind at the time.
Speaker 2: I mean, if he wasn't in his right mind at the time, he could have done the metallic sounds intentionally, just like maybe scratch the microphone or hit the click or something like that, just so he could lead this like final tantalizing clue where it's like, oh, They're going to hear these sounds and think I'm being scraped against by an alien spaceship or something, and that's when he decided to break off all communication.
Speaker 1: And we might be looking like if it is that for meaning in the meaningless? Because if Ashley's theory is correct and he was experiencing mental health crisis, and maybe we don't know the depths of that and what he was truly feeling. Because if we harken back to our case that we did on Ray Rivera, the intricacies of that case and exactly what he wrote on all those little pieces of paper was analyzed to no end. And I think when somebody is potentially experiencing psychosis or their perception of reality is skewed in any type of a way, and we're trying to interpret it from the lens of our perceptions being typical or accurate because we aren't experiencing that, then we're going to be wrong or we're not going to be able to find the meaning that we desire. So I'm wondering if that is the case here it could.
Speaker 2: Be because the Ray rivera case. Even though most of us have concluded that his death probably was a suicide with no outside involvement in foul play, it does seem clear that he was suffering from mental health issues that went undiagnosed, and that was probably the reason he left behind all those cryptic writings, which probably don't make sense to anyone besides himself, so trying to analyze them may not shed any light on why he died. I guess it's possible that Valentage made all those noises himself to add a level of mysteriousness to his final transmission. But regardless of his intentions, there's one very important question which has been answered, what happened to the Cessna. Whether you believe Volentage staged his own disappearance or crashed into the water, that still doesn't change the fact that no wreckage has ever been found. The only piece of potential evidence is an engine cowl flap containing one of the cessna's serial numbers, but it was never conclusively identified as belonging to Valentage's plane. Personally, I've always been on the fence about this one. I know that the current at Bastrait was very strong, and it's plausible that all the wreckage could have flown away so far that it was never found by the search teams. But Flinders Island is still three hundred and twenty kilometers away. Since the flat was found in close proximity to an airport and it wasn't uncommon for planes to lose parts in the water while taking off, there is a plausible alternate explanation for the flap washing up there. But if Valentage did not crash the plane intentionally and was one hundred percent genuine about what he was seeing during the radio transmission, how could the cessna have wound up in the water well. One of the most discussed theories is that Valentage became so disoriented that he was flying upside down during his time on the radio, and the mysterious object he thought he saw flying overhead was actually nothing more than a reflection of his own plane's lights in the water when the object was hovering over him. This may have been because he was moving closer to his reflection, and he eventually crashed into the water, cutting off his radio transmission well right from the outset. Many experts disagreed with this theory, as they believed that the aircraft would only be capable of flying upside down for about a minute or a minute and a half. This is because the fuel tanks were situated in the wings and relied on gravity to feed the motor. And since Flegich's conversation lasted six minutes, it seems impossible that the plane could have stood flying upside down for that length of time.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, if experts say that that seems impossible, I'm going to default with the experts on aviation. However, it is interesting because this kind of disorientation. Maybe it wasn't six minutes, but the idea of him being disoriented feeds into what we were talking about, a mental health break or some kind of disorientationalised in the air, and it could have led to a plane crash. Again, Like you said, though, where did the plane go? Not a single piece of the plane was found, and if it was found, it's some kind of three hundred and twenty kilometers away. It just seems like a really big stretch that that's how far it would go. There wouldn't be someone who sighted the plane crashing, that there wouldn't be some kind of proof that there is a piece of the plane somewhere. All we know is on that wing that was recovered that flap, there was one number that would match the serial number to his plane, but that's one number that's part part of a lot of serial numbers. So I don't know. I'm so confused as to where his plane went without anyone knowing and without any sign of it ever surfacing.
Speaker 1: This is the one part that leaves the door open for the UFO conspiracy theories.
Speaker 2: And it does seem surprising that if his plane crashed, if he was flying upside down and with disoriented, and he crashed a short time after his conversation with Steve Roby, it is surprising that nothing would be heard on the radio, not screaming or the sound of crashing, but just an abrupt cutoff. That's always what bothered me about this whole thing.
Speaker 3: And they did an investigation shortly after the radio went dead, and so the fact that nothing was found, even with people searching right away and looking into this case right away, that's very bizarre.
Speaker 1: However, one of the most logical theories for Valentage's disappearance was provided by author Joe Nickel, who's known for being one of the most prominent skeptics in the world, so debunking UFO stories is pretty much his thing. In twenty thirteen, Nicol teamed up with the retired US Air Force pilot named James mcgaha to provide a thorough review of the Valentage case and come up with a logical explanation for what might have happened to him which should not involve UFOs. They concluded that the overhead lights Valentage believed he saw might have actually been the planet's venus, Mars, and Mercury, along with the bright star Antaras these planets would have resembled the diamond shape in the sky and could have easily been mistaken for lights from a UFO. Valentage was probably so distracted by the so called UFO lights that he started suffering from spatial disorientation and was deceived by the illusion of a tilted horizon. In response, he inadvertently turned the plane downward and caused it to go into what's called a graveyard spiral. This would decrease the fuel flow and the rough idling of the engine, which Valentige mentioned during his transmission. Eventually, he would lose all control of the aircraft and crash into the water. Spatial disorientation was also determined to be the cause of the fatal plane crash which took John F. Kennedy Junior's life in nineteen ninety nine, as he lost control of his aircraft and suffered a fatal descent into the Atlantic Ocean. These types of crashes generally happened at night or during the early evening, and the Lunage didn't have much experience flying at night, as his class or instrument rating did not authorize him to fly at night only in visual meteorological conditions. Well, October twenty first was a very clear night with perfect weather. Luentage was still a very inexperienced pilot who already had multiple infractions on his record, and well, as we're about to discuss in a moment, he was probably pretty distracted during this flight.
Speaker 3: He also didn't plan well for this flight, so it does seem very chaotic. He's not notifying airstrips where he's supposed to land, he's not keeping accurate communication with his loved ones about where he's going or how long he's going to be, and so this idea that he would get up there and become disoriented. It's not a stretch either because he's struggling with some kind of his you know, his faculties aren't all there, or he just simply is so chaotic and irresponsible that it leads to him also being you know, caught off guard in the air or disoriented in the air. So I think that's a very big possibility. Was the upside down when experts say that's not likely. Probably not, But to lose sight of the horizon or to be you know, kind of disoriented as to where you're located and where you're going, I think that's a very big possibility.
Speaker 2: I have to say, well, the spatial disorientation theory is a one hundred percent perfect there's a lot about it which makes sense. It's also worth noting that Joe Nichol and James mcgaha were the ones who proposed the idea that the green light that Ken Hansen and his family saw in the sky was actually the navigation light on the cessna's wingtip. I'm not sure I find that part of the theory to be plausible, and I don't think there's ever really been a convincing alternate explanation for the green light. One part of their analysis, which I find particularly interesting, is there explanation for Valentage's trip that night. There's been so much speculation about why Valentage would lie about his reasons for traveling to King Island, and how the evidence suggests he never intended to go there in the first place. Will Nichol and Magaha believed that Valentage took the Cessana out that night for the express purpose of searching for a UFO, which is a fairly plausible explanation. Going UFO hunting would have been an ideal way for Valentage to accumulate hours for his flying time, but since there's no chance in hell he was going to tell his superiors or his family about this, he concoct in a false story about traveling to King Island. There's no way of knowing Valentage's exact flight path or how long he was planning to search that night, but given that he was facing possible criminal prosecution for the incidents in which he flew through a cloud, there was a distinct possibility he could lose his pilot's license in the near future, so he might have figured this would have been one of his only opportunities to go on a UFO hunt. Given Valentage's inexperience at flying at night, if he was preoccupied with finding a UFO and became distracted, you could see how this might wind up as a recipe for disaster. I was initially skeptical about the theory that Balentage could have seen some planets and a star and confused them for lights from UFO, as I found it unlikely that a professional pilot would make that mistake. But then I said to myself, it's unlikely a professional pilot who wasn't obsessed with UFOs would make that mistake. If the entire purpose of Alnage's flight was to find a UFO, then yes, I can understand how someone in that frame of mind might wind up seeing what they wanted to see and jump to that conclusion. So it's very plausible that Blentage saw something non extraterrestrial but was so certain it was a UFO that he radioed in his sighting. However, he became so preoccupied that it began to suffer from spatial disorientation, went into a graveyard spiral, and crashed into the water.
Speaker 3: You know, when you talk about it being a professional pilot, it seems like, yes, he's trained in aviation, but he's very young, very new to this. He's not very responsible when it comes to flying and so professional. I wouldn't want to be in the plane with him. And when you look at this, I'm with you. He could have very well been in a place where it's almost like people who want to see a ghost and they welcome spiritual you know, activity around them, and so as you open yourself up to that, they say it comes to you quicker. So he could have very much been in that mindset, I'm going to welcome these aliens to come meet with me, and don't worry, I won't go aboard without my girlfriend, but I am going to welcome them become meet me. And so he's in such a fixated mindset to go hunt for them that he does exactly what you've said. He convinces himself he's seen one. He truly believes it, and then it's almost like you start to lose control of reality and could have easily become disoriented.
Speaker 1: It's like he manifested this reality. It's like a self fulfilling prophecy. You see what you want to see, and that, like you just said, Robin is the lens that he's looking through is somebody that wants to see a UFO, because initially I felt the same way until exactly what you pointed out. If you want to go out there and see a UFO, the chances that you could misinterpret data and assume that it's a UFO, I think it's a lot higher. The reports by Hansen does leave me scratching my head with that green light because I do not believe that it's from a wingtip, but I just keep going back to it. Ashley said, I think there is a possibility that this was a mental health crisis, and there was a lot of different signs that we could attribute to that. Just the one thing that I can't get over is the fact that we don't have anything that we can attribute to the plane absolutely, because we do have that one piece, but there's only one number from a serial number, Like how many other planes does it match? One number? Two? Probably a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that is the problem, is that could be a piece of Alengegies plane, but they have just never found anything else. And I think if they did find some conclusive evidence that the plane crashed, then they could be able to solve this mystery. And say that he likely was disoriented and accidentally crashed. But it's like Amelia Earhart where they just can't find conclusive evidence to point towards one theory and say that this is solved. And that's why it's lived on for all these years, and because he had such a cryptic final radio transmission, it's become like a favorite story with UFOA ficionados.
Speaker 1: Now, if you're wondering why no wreckage has ever been found, just remember that even though it's assumed valentage was near kpe Otway with it when his final radio transmission took place, no one can be one hundred percent certain. He also had lots of fuel left in his Essna, so if he traveled in another direction, got lost, or went off course, or just kept flying for a long period of time after the transmission ended, he could have crashed well outside the search area, and thanks to the strong currents in Bass Strait, all the evidence might have flown away into an area where no one would find it. So while I count one hundred percent explain Ken Hansen's sightings of the green light or the strange anomaly in Roy Manifold's photograph, I do think it's most likely there were no UFOs and that Frederick Valentich and his missing sesna are simply submerged in an unknown location.
Speaker 2: All that being said, I'm pretty open minded and don't consider myself a complete skeptic when it comes to UFOs and aliens. I'd really like to find out that extraterrestrials exist and that Frederick Valentich is piloting one of their spacecrafts somewhere. But I have to follow logic here and con side that it's a lot more plausible that a pilot who had a fascination with UFOs just got so caught up in his obsession that he died in a tragic accident. Until the day he died, Frederick's father, Guido Valentage, always stated that he believed his son was abducted by UFO, and I can't blame him for thinking this, because that would mean his son was still alive. Unlike most UFO stories, you can't just be cynical and dismiss this one because there is a victim who has been missing for forty six years and he still has surviving family members who want to know what happened to him. But until conclusive evidence surfaces. I don't think we'll ever know the full truth, and I would not be surprised if the most famous event to occur on my birth date will always remain an unsolved mystery. All that being said, should you happen to have any information with Shed's light on the unsolved disappearance of Frederick Valentich, Lee's contact the appropriate authorities, Jules Ashley, any final thoughts in.
Speaker 3: This case, what's really sad is that this is a twenty year old kid. That's what he is. He's training to be a pilot. He's trying to log hours for flights, and he's not doing so great with it, right, He's getting into trouble, he's getting marks on his record, possibly facing criminal charges. But he's really passionate about it, and he's also really passionate about UFOs and learning more about them. And so when you look at this case, and, like you said, his father being adamant that something had to have happened, that his son had have been telling the truth and encountered a UFO, I understand why his dad feels that. Right, it gives me hope, It gives me an opportunity to think, maybe he's going to be returned to us and I'll get to see my son again. What's sad is that the more likely option is that his plane went down and just was never recovered. Makes me heartsick because a twenty year old's just starting their life and he had plans where they ironed out. Well maybe not, but he had plans for a life and to follow passions and had a girlfriend and a family who loved him and just one day went for a flight and never came back. So it's devastating. It's very intriguing because that call. While it does resemble a movie script, that call to air traffic control, it's got to give you a moment to pause and say, what did he really see? Did these people who came forward even after it hit the news, was their legitimacy to them seeing something as well? And maybe it wasn't a UFO, but it was something big enough to distract him to where he actually crashed. I'd love to know more, and the sad part is we probably won't. I'm with you, Robin, this is probably going to remain, ironically an unsolved mystery on your birth date. But to me, it's this idea that a twenty year old went up in a plane and never came back. It's eerie, it's scary, and it's one of those things that makes you go could it have been a UFO. I could never say no, one hundred percent, but I'm leaning more towards disorientation and maybe getting distracted by what he thought he saw which led to a crash.
Speaker 1: This is such a fascinating case, and the UFO element, of course, I find aliens and UFOs really interesting. I just don't really think there's too much meat on the bone here. If you want to see aliens say that a UFO took him, then I think that you could very much view this case as there's a potential for that. But I tend to lean towards the fact that it was some kind of spatial disorientation or it was a mental health crisis and he may have continued on. Much like with MH three seventy. The initial search area that they were looking for the plane, it was established later wasn't where the plane likely was when it went down. So you can look until you know the end of time, but you're not going to find any piece of that plane. And I think that might be the case, because that is the enduring mystery because when we break it all down with the metallic sounds, and we know that he isn't very good at putting his microphone back on the dock or whatever it's called, then we know that there's a potential that that sound could be from something else. He might have produced that sound on purpose. I think it's incredibly sad that his family never really and truly got the answers as to what happened to Frederick, and that this mystery is so closely connected to aliens and UFOs, because there's almost a dehumanizing element about that, and I mean, we're we're all it is a Halloween episode, and we're all kind of guilty of latching onto that, like myself included, And so you can almost forget for a moment the person that you're covering, and that that person had family members, because we're thinking about the outlandish nature of UFO abduction, but Frederick Valentich had people who loved him, and my heart truly breaks for them because, like Ash just said, I don't know if we're going to ever get the answers here.
Speaker 2: Well as you can imagine, I've had a fascination with this case for a very long time. It's one of the very first UFO stories I ever heard of, and it's the one people say to me that I ordinarily don't care about UFO stories, but this one still fascinates me because a man and his plane went missing and he left behind this cryptic final message, which is the type of thing you would only expect to find in a movie. Like Juel said, it's easy to forget the person behind this. The ironic thing is that, given his own personal obsession with you, I think that Frederick Blentich would say that if he had to die, then this is the way he would like to be remembered. That all you ever wanted to do was become a pilot. But it looked like he was not going to follow that dream, and that could have depressed him an awful lot. But I think he might have appreciated the fact that he's primarily remembered as a guy who vanished without a trait after an alleged close encounter with the UFO. But like Jules said, though, he has a family who was concerned about what happened to him, and this is him, and I'm sure they don't appreciate the fact that the whole UFO angle has overshadowed the disappearance of their son, and it's very sad that they've had to go over forty years without receiving in the answers. I mean, this is more intriguing than your average UFO case because you do have the independent eyewitnesses who claimed that they saw these green lights in the sky, which matches Valenti's final radio transmission. But even though those can't be easily explained, you can explain the nature of the final transmission that maybe it was some mental health issue, maybe it was fatial disorientation, and a short time after that transmission ended, he just wound up crashing into the water, and his remains and the wreckage have still not been found. But regardless, this is still a very enduring mystery. Maybe one of these days will have some sort of evidence wash up on shore so that we can finally get a conclusive answers, but until then it will definitely be destined to remain one of the more enduring unsolved mysteries.
Speaker 1: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 2: Yes, the Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon if you join our five dollars tier Tier two. We also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon, and if you join our highest tier tier free the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 4: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jeweles and Nashty Patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Path Went Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very many, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those, so we hope you'll check out those patreons. We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 2: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend end or to rate and review is greatly appreciated. You can email us at The Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwin. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 1: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy