Speaker 1: It's a bit like one of those Agatha Christie things, isn't it? And then they're worth three? And now there are two.
Speaker 2: Now there are two, just the two of us. It's a song about that.
Speaker 3: If there isn't a song, then someone should write one.
Speaker 2: I think there's quite a few Speir's classic to become one that could be when we're you know, one of us, I don't know, break something else and we have the you know, it's just a silo podcast. Actually it's just a monologue. Actually that's what you get when you come around your house, isn't it. You're just to call it was brother with Star Wars, Get off, my lord?
Speaker 3: Do you know?
Speaker 1: It's Actually I was just thinking what they missed a trick when that film The Human Centerpede. They should have used the spy Skills when Two Become One as the soundtrack for that, to add a little bit of humor to would be a great trailer, wouldn't it.
Speaker 3: When to be a come one.
Speaker 2: Somebody you need to search for this on YouTube. Somebody has recut Missus Doubtfire has a horror film. So it's it's just some creepy man putting on this woman's mask and invading the houses of children. Brilliant, one of the best editing editing things I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: It's a bit like the girl who was a gender studies student and she did a thesis on studying love actually as a as examples of gross misogyny. And it was genuinely quite a funny, tongue in cheek thing about you know, just just how terrible all the male characters are, and every single one has got all these various and she did. It's a joke, and of course the Daily Mail picked it up.
Speaker 3: Woke ass. Yes, I thought it's quite good.
Speaker 1: So anyway, I suppose we ought to explain to listeners who perhaps were out of the loop last time. Unfortunately, mister Pridho is not with us, and he won't be for the next couple of weeks. Whilst his leg heels because he came off second best after a fight with an older ah that is a tree, not an old man, although you know, possibly he could could have actually had a fight with an old man and he's just trying to sort of make it sound a bit butcher.
Speaker 2: But I don't think shattering your leg is the sort of injury an old man may may inflict. On you, well, unless they were a horse.
Speaker 1: An old horse, or I mean, I would have thought a zimmer frame could probably inflict quite a nasty injury if aimed at.
Speaker 2: The shine I used to rub pinchers. Only surface wounds you get from that, get a bruising. You're fine.
Speaker 1: Yes, we were just like, just like to remind listeners that everything you hear on Country Slide is not necessarily real, the artists work of fiction exactly. Yes, he didn't honestly do that. So yes, I'm afraid there are only two of us. And of course that does mean that because you've got Callum and me. That means the sort of the rudder, the keel that keeps us balanced is now.
Speaker 3: Not with us.
Speaker 1: So therefore we will probably veer off into rocky shores and who knows where in.
Speaker 2: Depth topics of no politics this week, No, we'll we'll just keep it nice.
Speaker 1: No anyway, back to them straights of horror moves.
Speaker 2: Let's keep it like a Sunday drive.
Speaker 3: Let's do that.
Speaker 1: So anyway, it's look, it's what what have you been up to of lake? Because obviously the last week all you'd spent your spare time doing was sitting in an accident and emergency waiting for your daughter to stop being a fruit machine. So hopefully you're back to normal now. And what have you been up to? Anything exciting? Yeah?
Speaker 2: All back to normal. I've been doing lots of complaining because my kitchen that got ripped out is currently being built really slowly. And I tried to put a dishwasher on last night and they had connected something which meant you couldn't then turn the water on because they hadn't checked any of that, So that's fun. I didn't put a tap in because it looked too fiddly and it was somebody else's job, so that was my job, right, So just doing a lot of admin. And then finally I have cleared about five separate long form video things. I see what I did do which shooting people might enjoy. I made a video for Seiss Optics that was on stage at the or on the big stand thing at the Stalking Show.
Speaker 3: Did you go to the Stalking Show?
Speaker 2: I did not. I went to Norfolk instead and spent four days drinking, just quite kid.
Speaker 1: So this film for Seis was it sort of crystal clear but very expensive?
Speaker 2: Something like that? A guy called Jim Riley who's Yes, I know Jim Do you know Jim?
Speaker 1: I do know Jimip Chippenham Park, Chippenham Park. Did my DSc one there under him?
Speaker 2: So that is it. That's is the Seiss Center of Excellence.
Speaker 3: Fascinating. He's a he's ane of knowledge, that man.
Speaker 2: Isy. I only really got to sort of boss him around. Really, please walk around the woods with a gun, Please do this, do that. So I just got to boss him around and talk about the seeker cam, little little trail cameras that you can strap to trees and they've got simcard and Wi Fi and whatnot, and they can they can tell you what deer and what animals are knocking around and also pretty good for security as well. If you've got a if you've got on a state or something and you want to know who's coming down the path, for what the local hoodleums are up to, then these little seeker cam things are quite good.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 2: It's interesting.
Speaker 1: Perhaps it work with legally speaking to say, if you went and I don't know, caught a miscreant up to no good and you've got a child camera legitimately put there too, you know, to look at wildlife or what have you, if you've got this evidence, could you give it to the police and say they go or is it absolutely?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, No, it's not. I mean it's I mean, I don't I'm not sure I'm qualified to talk about legal side of things, but I do know that people have used them and reported them to the police and show and shown people that they're there, and that is used as evidence, even if it's technically if it's classed as like circumstantial. But yeah, I I assume that you can. If they're in public places, you can film and photograph everyone like people often think. I used to say my early career, I used to stay outside the courtroom and wait for I used to get a description of what somebody looked like, and then I used to photograph. It was like a really shit game of guess who. They say he looks like a post bloke with short hair, he's really tanned, and he's probably wearing tweed, and I'm like, right, okay, Colt got it. So then anyone who looks slightly past wearing tweed, I'd photograph them coming into a courtroom and then hopefully I would get you know, this person who's been you know, embezzling money from a charity or whatever they were doing of a nasty thing. So it's like paparazzi, but like not a crooks chased in celembri. Yeah, vigilanty justice paparazzi.
Speaker 1: I think it'd been a lot easier found out find out what they were going into court for. So let's say it was I don't know, let's embezzling money.
Speaker 3: You go, oh, are you fraud stuff?
Speaker 1: And see which one turns around right, and if it's the one that turns around together, he that's him.
Speaker 3: Click click click.
Speaker 2: They do. They definitely didn't want to be photographed. Yes, there's a picture of me on the front page of the Metro when a guy called Marlon King, who was a football player got sentenced and I dodged being punched. One of the guys from ap got got his camera thrown over a wall and I dodged a picture of me on the Metro with my mouth open, like because I'm dodging being punched, and I'm just like in the background of this of this attack photo, which is quite funny.
Speaker 1: Marlon King does sound like a sort of attacker's name to me. I mean, I might be being biased here, but that sounds like a violent man.
Speaker 3: Someone called Marlon King, you know, someone who.
Speaker 1: Would probably get you in a car park when he weren't expecting it.
Speaker 2: So the story was his wife told him she was pregnant and then he decided to celebrate by touching other women in a nightclub nice and when they recoiled in horror, he punched her in the face and broke her nose. So there was a sexual assault and assault charge. And he was a Premiership football player. His contract got terminated very quickly, so kind of ruined his entire career, which is not nice.
Speaker 1: No, well, he sounds like the sort of chap you need to have a contract terminated.
Speaker 3: I haven't been taking photographs of anybody.
Speaker 2: The point of this was that even when people don't want to be photographed in a private or public space, they can be photographed, and they can be published, and they can be used unless they're actually used in if people will get anonymity, if they have like a case of sexual assault or something like that, they can't be published. They get full animity, so the victims won't be publicly shared at all. But anyone that's accused of doing absolutely anything, regardless if you've got a picture of them. It can be published, so can it be used to prosecute No, but it probably can be used in evidence to prove that people were there and potentially up to no good.
Speaker 3: So yeah, all right, we go.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I mean my life is so mundant compared with yours because this week I've well largely been I wrote the first chapter of my book because I've got to write the new one now, and I have given a couple of talks. I did one which is very interesting actually, which is the Hadly Environmental Action Team, which could sound slightly like a sort of heat heat exactly, So is there a dog in heat.
Speaker 3: Heat?
Speaker 1: It's some the Hadley Environmental Action Team very interesting. So, I mean, Hadley's a pretty little sad Suffolk town.
Speaker 2: In my head, I've just got these people with like the Heat Squad.
Speaker 3: Do you want to feel the heat? It does? It does slightly make you think that it's the Heat Squad. You know.
Speaker 2: It's sort of well, someone's going to get in chat GPT now and write a very good prompt to sort of get these Environmental Action Group as superheroes, as an elite task force. And they're doing it just in front of a village hall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, as a I'll be honest, as an elite sort of.
Speaker 3: Hit squads, a heat squad.
Speaker 1: They they're quite old actually, you know, they're all at least as old as me. So possibly not the superheroes you expected, but they are superheroes in their own way, because these are the sorts of people who genuinely do go and make sure the litter gets picked up from the you know, the local environs around the lovely little little market town of Hadley in South Suffolk, and you know, there's thoroughly the good Eggs and they make sure that their local green spaces are green and they do stuff like that. And they asked me to go and give a talk to them about Words from the Hedge and what.
Speaker 3: I do for a day job.
Speaker 1: And it's very interesting because you know, I go through in quite great detail about the fact that I believe that we can halt biodiversity decline, but we need to.
Speaker 3: Get behind farming and whatnot.
Speaker 1: And because we've got the local elections are starting up and I have noticed that the bloody Green Party have already been around slapping there.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to say, you have no t that the potholes have been filled. It's funnyles get filled.
Speaker 3: Isn't it funny that? Yes? Exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all of a sudden is there's roads shut. I mean because they're doing it all in a one around here, that they're the sort of shut three roads at once, which means you can't actually get anywhere. The diversion takes you back on yourself and you realize after half an hour's driving you're actually back home again.
Speaker 2: Are you one of these people that has a deep distrust for road closed?
Speaker 1: Don't agree with them because they'll say roads shut, but they don't tell you where.
Speaker 3: It could be three miles away.
Speaker 2: I just these days, I just risk it. I just go down until until there's something that I think I can't jump that down there, mate, down there. Most of the time, I'd say it's an eighty percent success rate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's because at half the time they've either forgotten to pick the signs up or they've shut it in preparation for three days time.
Speaker 3: When going to go there, all like I say, there is this bloody.
Speaker 1: Great big three sixty digger and they have dug, you know, a hole big enough to go and sink sort of an articulated lorrean and then you do have to You got two choices, you know, you either go back or you go come on, Luke, let's jump it way you have And then you know, obviously I haven't got Colonel bogiehorn on my subaru.
Speaker 2: I packed my Daisy Duke SUTs just in case that together, you and your daisy dukes, I could have a denim shirt on.
Speaker 3: We could have the flag of Suffolk painted.
Speaker 1: On the top of my of my subrew rather than a Confederate flag, and then the horn rather than being so attle, I think it would be nice if we had a bit of Vaughan Williams coming out of the lark ascending, you know, a lot less aggressive and with the underlying message gentle the Confederacy more gentlemanly as we then jump over the top and then break my axle on my suber roup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, brilliant.
Speaker 1: So that's what we'll do next time, you and your daisy dukes, me and me thinks shirt and we could have to change our names though, because they were Bow and Luke Duke, so we're gonna have to think of Duke that I know. Unfortunate, that isn't it. We'll have to go and think of some rhymes.
Speaker 2: Calum so you can't really have a calum.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, so we will workshop it. Yeah, we'll work shop it. We'll do this off air anyway, he sud.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Heat Squad very interesting because I was talking about how important it was, you know that we the work I do, and about the various birds we are starting to see comeback as a result, because now as a build up of work, and you know, I'm not the only hedge layer working now in Suffolk. There are more and more abouts and you're starting to see. And I was talking about this and all of a sudden, some bloody dullard from the Greens piped up. If we don't have net zero, then there won't be any birds anyway, because we'll all have died from heat or something. And I went now and then I had to go and sort of explain to them the fact that saying, well, to be perfectly honest, I think what we really all can play a part in is increasing biodiversity. What we can't all do is is all your stuff with your net zero hookem that I didn't quite say like that, but it was quite interesting. So Heat Squad and there are green party sort of things going up around Hadley. Now I thought I might be booed off stage or something, but actually I found that the Hadley Environmental Action Team were, Oh god, thank god, someone's finally said that is, we'd rather go and sort out biadversity decline first and foremost, and you know, let's worry about the carbon later.
Speaker 3: And so it.
Speaker 1: Seems to me that the voice of common sense is ringing out loud and clear in Hadley.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, just the net zero thing, I just, I mean, I get it, there's a there's an end game where we have to not do that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I like, I like all these view of it. He said.
Speaker 1: Okay, he said, so we can go and spend all these gazillions of pounds on getting to net zero and then we look around us and say, hooray, we're net zero, and then look around and everything's dead anyway. And that does seem to be the thing is that I think Richard Produce said, people are mixing up environmentalism and being an environmentalist, which is I looking after your local environment, with the mistaken idea that being an environmentalist means you're actually worried about energy infrastructure I mean, that isn't quite so sexy, is it? When you think about it like that? Is that you're, oh, yes, I really want to make sure it's all renewable energy. Can you imagine getting really excited and turned on by by energy sources. It's just crap, isn't it. Let's instead go and think about managing hedges and picking up litter and making stuff work better.
Speaker 2: That would be I I like charts. Me love a good chart, okay. And when you look at the progress towards net zero and you see how well we've done versus the influx of carbon pollution from China, it's quite easy to say, potentially, what we have done is taken all of our manufacturing and all of our dirty work and just shipped it to a different part of the world. Because I'm sitting in front of me now and I've got a monitor that's no doubt made in China. God knows where all the electronics that are in front of me are made, and they're polluting the earth. But where are they polluting the earth? China? Not here?
Speaker 1: So it's it's rather imperialist, isn't it. If you think about it, is that it's for a bunch of people who probably will be one of the few lots who actually think, oh, yes, let's let's go and pay reparations payments for our filthy imperialist past I treat I think it is an incredibly imperialist thing that we are offsetting our pollution by basically saying, go on crack on, China, India, Brazil. You can keep on polluting as much as you like, but we're going to be smug here. And and we're fine. We've done wonderfully, aren't we good. We're we're leading by example.
Speaker 3: No, we're not.
Speaker 1: We're just passing off the solution to other people to have to take it. I watched on TV whilst we were away because I've been in Southwold for the last.
Speaker 3: Couple of days because it was my birthday treat.
Speaker 1: I was went sat stay in a lovely place right on the sand dunes. It was lovely and Charlie had never watched The Crown, you know, the TV series about and we got to the episode when in nineteenes nineteen fifty two when there was the Great smog when Batsy Power Station and one or two of the other big coal fire power stations in London were jettisoning out all the smog, all that sulfur laden coal smoke, and there was like some very big low depression which meant to fog hung over London, and London, as you know better than most calum was on an old marsh. It was very low lying, you know, it's a boggy old thing, and the things combined together and it had this smog created. And that's where the Clean Air Act was then enacted after this because it killed apparently twelve thousand people because it was so filthy. And I think people forget that we used to be a very dirty, dirty country. We were, you know, we burned a lot of coalner and these sulfurous fumes were doing. But I think what it's always strikes me as a bit daft is that when you go and see people sort of saying we shouldn't be burning wood, and we shouldn't be doing this, and we shouldn't be doing that, people think we're still stuck in nineteen fifty two. We have means of capturing most of the bad gases from most of the things that we might burn as fuel. So therefore it's like if we had actually carried on using our infrastructure and some of our natural resources. It's not that we're stuck in aspect. We're not just stuck in time. This strikes me that we've been burning wood as a fuel well for as long as human beings have more or less been human beings, and surely we've got a means now of lessening the carstenergenic gases so we can catch them. I think it's a great shame, and I'm sure all our forestry listeners will be going yeah, but I do think that our ability to burn wood has been sort of curtailed by a bunch of people who probably wouldn't know how to light a fire if you actually ask them to do it. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow, callum, guess what I'm.
Speaker 2: Doing lighting something on fire?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not, hopefully not. No.
Speaker 1: Actually, this is the one place you do not want to light fire. Are going up on a thatched roof with Chris Dodson, the thatcher. Yes, and also I'm going up there with podcast guests. No, that was his brother, That was his brother, twin brother. Yeah, Dr Reid's No, that was that's Andy, his twin brother. This is Chris, the actual thatcher. I'm going up on a roof with it in Bedford Ship and a mate of mine called Tom Barker who's an agronomist, and Anna Hill from BBC's Farming today. So we are doing a piece up on a roof about thatching straw, which we will talk about more next week.
Speaker 3: So it's because there's a bit.
Speaker 2: Of a thatching who is who is this peaceful?
Speaker 3: Well this is.
Speaker 1: Actually for BBC Farming today for a thing. It will be out on Friday, so I know, I know, well, you know, I don't like to go hide my legs under a bushel. Actually, I've just orchestrated this because it's something that I'm working on where we're trying to go and address the thatching straw shortage to see if we can get more farmers going thatching straw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't we just get all from China? That's my key, take Calum ninety. Yeah, but then the tankers would come back. Well actually know, I suppose they're all coming back with cheap Chinese electronics. But they're bringing a bit of a bit of thatch over with.
Speaker 3: Them, a bit thatch over with them. You know, it's bonkers.
Speaker 2: I can't remember the stat it was like ninety percent of all thatch comes from comes from China, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was what Andy was telling us about the reed and so this is the long straw, thatching straw and the ear. We're just not growing enough.
Speaker 2: I think everybody should check that episode. It's one of the really early episodes and you'll see it. It says thatching. Yeah, the it was all that they all came from China. Also that the I remember, the reed beds are used to clean a lot of the water. They're fantastic filters of polluted dirty water. So you've got stuff that's that's really nasty, big old reed bed will clean a lot of that pollution out and filter from the water, which I thought's pretty good. There's also not that many other people that are willing to or understand the safety and practical sides of harvesting thatch, and not that many people places growing it. Well, aren't beneficial to the beneficial for the bed?
Speaker 3: Yes, well this is very beneficial to the bitten.
Speaker 1: So I've got a complete Dodson week this week. So I'm going up on a roof with Chris on Wednesday, and then on the Friday, I'm going out with his twin brother Andy, and I'm going to wickan Fen which is at Cambridge here, which is and we're going to be looking at reed beds out there, and then a lot of the stuff that we talked about, and then I'm the following week We've got a big meeting about thatching straw with our farm cluster on the Monday, and then I'm talking with a fascinating expert on bittons, So we're gonna basically look at how the manage or the lack of management of reed beds and how that could be should be done better. With Andy, then I'm talking to this chap who has is the leading European expert on bittons, who will be explaining as to if we managed our reed beds better like we used to, that the bitten would be in a better place. So I've got a complete thatching slashsh week.
Speaker 3: It's utterly bizarre.
Speaker 1: So it's one of the things if you want to go out and educate yourself in things that you are fascinated by but you didn't really know a lot about, and speak to proper.
Speaker 3: Experts, write a book because.
Speaker 1: You get to meet all these absolutely fascinating things and it happens to be that this next week ten days, I'm seeing some of the experts in thatching, both in thatching straw and read thatching and all those environments there, both environmentally, ecolologically and practically. I'm seeing some of the biggest cheeses this next ten days. It's going to be absolutely fascinating. So that's all very exciting.
Speaker 2: I can't have ever seen a bitten or I can remember seeing one. I know, don't they sound like a water drop?
Speaker 3: Boom boom boom.
Speaker 1: They start very early actually doing the what's it called, sort of territorial booming as it's called. And they have quite a set list of this is what I need. You know, they have a very large area in which they need. They have a very large sort of set of requirements, long set of requirements. They need deep water where they can fish. They need some of the areas which are well covered in certain sort of different reads that they prefer. They need some bits which are then cut and or lower, and so there's all this set list of criteria, and that perhaps leads us in a sort of semi professional link into what we wanted to talk about today, which was about the releases of the governments announced of these charismatic species, and it's some the thing that strikes me, you know, the white tailed eagles and the golden eagles, amongst other things, but it's one of the things that strikes me is that when you've got a bird like the bitten, which had nearly gone extinct in this country, but with some careful habitat management, they do suffer predation certainly, and when their habitats become smaller, they are they're more easily predated. But they also depend upon clean water because you need to have plenty of little fish and amphibians.
Speaker 3: And water mammals for them to eat.
Speaker 1: So there's a setlist of criteria that you can bring them back from the brink a bit like we're doing with a turtle dove. And it's something that strikes me personally, and i'd like your opinion on this calm is that when governments, obviously being lent on by some environmentalist groups, are spending huge amounts of money on reintroducing either extinct species, sometimes long extinct species, or some of these amazing charismatic birds the eagle, golden eagle, and the white and the white tailed eagle, you start thinking, well, why don't you, first of all, focus on things like the bitten or the yellow hammer, or the corn bunting, these you know, the turtle dove, these species which have You know, we know how to bring them back from the brink, and it requires some thought, effort, some time, and invariably some money.
Speaker 3: But you think, why aren't we.
Speaker 1: Focusing on that rather than fannying about with reintroducing things which haven't been here for sometimes centuries. I mean, what do you think about these reintroductions?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean some of them. I always think about the one when I went to France we could see the griffin vulture. I think it was like nineteen ninety, that might have been early two thousands. They took the griffin vulture hadn't existed for a long long time, and they brought it back. They got some from Russia and they reintroduced them. Now there's absolutely loads of these griffin cultures. So they're cool to look at, and no doubt the people of France have got animals that are endangered or the habitat's declining or whatever it was, but they've done really well, so I think it can work and there is a place for all of them in the It sounds like a very weird socialist thing to say there's a place for all of them. They've just misunderstood they all need a hug, but there is a place for all of them. But yeah, I agree. So some of it's just a bit of a pr exercise, isn't it. It's like, what, what's the public gonna Is that a problem? I mean, if you're going to capture some random person coming out of a zoo and they think, I've got twenty quid, I'll put it in a donation box, and they want to fund some kind of reintroduction of whatever charismatic animal it is, and you're going to prize twenty quid from there already bleeding wallet after they've exited a zoo or a wildlife park or some one of those things and spent fifty quid on ice cream, not on bitter though. Now I have children, that's what that costs me. I appreciate I descended quite quickly into an old man rant there. But if you're going to get some money from the public for these things, it needs to be something quite exciting. You wouldn't say like, oh, we need to, you know, bring back the pidgeon or something, and people will be.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: But if you say we're going to bring a beaver to I don't know, we're going to bring the bustard back to Toulsbury playing or something, Everyone's like, yeah, that sounds like a great idea. Look at the size of these things, and people engage in it. They enjoy it, don't they.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: I suppose that's you. You said, I've never seen bitten. And that's the problem in it is that you know, if the general public are going to say, okay, taxpayers money is going to be spent on a species and it's something as secretive as a bitten. And from what I understand is that a lot of what bittons need is that they need a to be left alone and they and they. Secondly, they need to have their reedy, watery habitat enlarged. The anymore, we've drained a lot of of reed beds out and we've turned it into agricultural land, and we no longer manage reed beds in rotational ways. So therefore what we do have isn't working very well for them. So therefore all the things that the general public so reads where you're not going to walk through.
Speaker 3: A reed bed.
Speaker 1: Let's be perfectly honest, because it's scary. It will cut you and you might then go and suddenly treading a bit where you think is solid land and you're actually up to your neck in water and you die. So therefore the poor old bit and can't be seen, so therefore people don't care about him. But like you say, a white tailed eagle for example, I mean you can't miss them. We had one land here a couple of seasons ago, and it came up on the on the Farm Watch WhatsApp group, and it was a tractor driver down at Walsham of the Willows, and he said, if any falconers lost a bird, he said, there's a black, great big one, and and he sent the photograph through and it did look like that it was owned by a faulkner because it had this bloody, great big thing all around his leg and whatnot, which actually turned out to be a tracker.
Speaker 3: Tracker yeah.
Speaker 1: And he then got out and he went up to it and this thing was sort of semi tame and sort of hopped up to him, then hopped away and it sort.
Speaker 3: Of stood there.
Speaker 1: He said, we said real time on this WhatsApp group saying he's a big bastard, and they taking photographs of him again and again and again, and it turned out that this was one of the youngsters that was released in Holland and he had come over to here and then got a bit tired, and I didn't think he was very well. I think he got bird flu, to be perfectly honest, and probably died. But anyway, it's one of those things that you can't miss it because they're socking great big creatures.
Speaker 2: That looked like it the Essex last month right, that were spotted over Abbotton Reservoir, I think, okay, And then this week it's followed my trajectory and went to Norfolk, so you know, yeah, look, maybe maybe it knows where I am. He just wants to find me.
Speaker 1: It's it's well, it's it's what you when you're a bit like thought, you know, I can just see a bit like they're sort of there with a mighty.
Speaker 3: White tailed eagle on your arm.
Speaker 1: But it's one of them funny old things is that the government has put sixty million pounds aside from twenty six to twenty nine to reintroduce species, and they certainly are going to go and do the beaver because the beaver obsessives have got hugely excited to be obsessives. They are, I mean, oh, these are great manipulators of landscapes that will go and sort of miraculously make all our rivers.
Speaker 3: Again. And they won't. They won't because that's we know, that's bollocks.
Speaker 1: They may may do some better stuff in some places, but we also know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so spans tall one. Yes, it was a tiny, tiny little creek, and they did turn it into a habitat of wet woodland, which is good for certain things.
Speaker 3: Things like a woodcock will go quite like this. Yeah, so it would do.
Speaker 2: But you know, I get that they've changed. They changed something that was really it was just a little creek. It's not really anything for anyone a bit of water source. But but generally what the beavers did was much better. But we know from the talk of the man from Wild Trout Trust that actually those those still parts of water aren't very good, very awful for you know, oxygenating the water. You really want you want water to flow, you want it to filter, You want it to come down from a place and go to wherever it's going and get filtered through gravel or chalk or wherever it needs to go, So you don't really want large areas of stagnated water to be hanging around. I appreciate it creates a different habitat for different places, but you do have to be careful with introducing such species to different.
Speaker 1: I think we have to be very careful. And I also think that what we have to be extremely careful in is with these species getting reintroduced. Claiming that they are literally the panacea, they are the cure or for everything, is setting the poor creature up to fail. So I mean, you know, let's use the beaver poor things. Is that saying that they are the cure all for our water systems is clearly a nonsense. You go and speak to anyone who is a gilly on the River Tay, for example, where some lunatic who will remain nameless, decided to go and release beavers off his own back, and huge numbers of the little tributaries where both the sea trout and the salmon were spawning the reds there they now have been turned into exactly you said, this stagnant thing where the fish can't migrate up there, you know, so therefore well done. So you've released the beaver. It's done some great things. But you that the Atlantic salmon, which was under great threat anyway, his name more threatened because you put that specie in there.
Speaker 2: One if you spoke to a beaver enthusiast, which sounds like a cool gentitle, oh that in my tomb stone. I wonder if you said, oh, we're planning on building a lock in this in this lovely river that runs down somewhere, We're going to build a great big lock there, and you know some boats can get through. They'd probably go, that's a stupid idea. Why would you do that? That's going to destroy this environment. But if you say, oh, let's release a beaver which is effectively going to dam up the river and do the same thing. One one just has this pretty wrapper of you know, cute little animal, and then the other is a man made thing. But the result is the same. It stops the water flow. And it's not that good. But some I will say, some places, if the water is going to run slowly anyway, and sometimes it dries up and sometimes it doesn't, and it's not presenting much of a habitat for just about anything, then sure beaver it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean when it comes to things like the big the eagle, So the golden and white tailed eagle.
Speaker 2: What what's the other? What's the other? The reintroductions?
Speaker 1: Oh well, this is one is a snail that I'll be perfectly honest, I've never even heard of. It's utterly bizarre. What's it bloody called? It's some sort of weird thing.
Speaker 2: Have you ever found a Roman snail?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That we have a lot of big old things.
Speaker 2: Apparently they can because they're a rare, a rare jobby. They can hold up building projects until they're they're real. Yeah, what do they call them? A burgundy snail or something?
Speaker 3: That's him that rings a bell?
Speaker 2: They absolutely you'll know if you see one, because they're like five times the size of what you'd expect a snail to look like.
Speaker 1: A glutenous snail is the one that that the government is is talking about reintroducing glutenous snails.
Speaker 3: You ever come across them? Don't know?
Speaker 1: Is it got big bum got this big glute, gluteous.
Speaker 4: Big as big aster actually out snail? Yeah, they but it's okay, it's.
Speaker 2: A critically dangered snail. It's a water snail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I mean it's curious that there that they're focusing on this glutenous snail water.
Speaker 2: That sounds quite good. That if they get loads of those, I should imagine carp will get significantly bigger, and maybe it gives the chubs something to eat.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, that's it's good.
Speaker 1: But you start thinking, well, before you start doing this species reintroduction of glutenous snail, because we haven't got them, do you not think it might be a better idea to clean up the shitty water that we've gone and the fact that our you know that our water companies are churning out shit into our water systems. So therefore the glutenous snail is not exactly number one priority. The number one priority would be the absolute stuff of life.
Speaker 3: Water. Now, that would make sense to me.
Speaker 2: So let's if you were to score. So if these if these things have become endangered, bear in mind thirty years ago. Well, I'll go back to I'll go back to a moment about twenty years ago when I sat on an oak log. I spent between eight am and about eleven am fishing, and I called ten separate species of fish. Yeah, just out side harlow meal fishing with float and some maggots a great couple of hours. We had gudgeon, we had roach, we had days. They basically don't exist there anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: That's like ten years difference that we had fish in there. Now we barely have any fish in there. Like I've gone back and fished it in recent years with maggots and I couldn't buy a bite. Conditions could be different that lots of things change, but the general, the general thing is there isn't anywhere near that amount of fish. To replicate what I did on a very average afternoon would probably be impossible these days. I mean, even if you timed the conditions perfectly, to catch ten fish into ten species of fish in like a couple of hours is going to be impossible. So you think that that's that was ten years ago, and it's got significantly harder for the species you'd expect to be there. So twenty years ago it wasn't that hard. This species of water snail didn't exist there before, and ten years prior to that, when it was probably really easy and there was lots of fish in the river also didn't exist. What chance of a species that really struggled to exist thirty years ago, forty years ago, fifty years ago, have got in a river where even the fish that should be there don't exist.
Speaker 3: So like the.
Speaker 2: If you look at you're in marketing in ads, you talk about your return on investment or your return on ad spend. If your investment is you want the net gain is to have the result is actually the presence of these animals, fish, whatever it is. Go for the ones that are really easy, like the easy things. Also one of the things they do in marketing as well, Like if you get people want to advise clients for marketing things, they're like, oh, we're doing really well on Facebook, and now we're trying to do we want to grow into TikTok ads, or we want to do this, or we want to do that. You're like, well, if you're doing well in one place, double down on the place you're doing well, you're making profit. Right, double down on the place you're making profit because you can get more of that. You know it's there. You don't need to piss around, don't need to go sinking new and shiny if you want to, if you know that. Stopping water companies polluting the river leaving it for a period of time restocking fish or just repairing the habitat or increasing water flow works. Do that because that is a really good use of money. Don't spend, I don't know, spend money on charismatic things that are set to fail and have already already likely to Yes, they've.
Speaker 1: Already shown you that they don't like human beings and.
Speaker 3: The stuff that are byproducts. So therefore now.
Speaker 2: They're doing it on hard mode.
Speaker 1: I know it does seem utterly oxymoronic to me, and so I think, let's think why they're doing it.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's get on the positive side.
Speaker 1: It might be because they have been lent on by some people at Natural England who seem to be under.
Speaker 3: This delusion that if you just sort of put.
Speaker 1: Some charismatic stuff about, then everything will be wonderful.
Speaker 3: Because they start sort of talking.
Speaker 1: About trophic cascade and all this old crap. I should imagine a lot of it is they've been lent on by people who have got pr spend. So therefore you will have had some of these the various sort of the Linx project and the Beaver project and all these people who and they have sort of said that basically the beaver can do everything from sort of cleaning our rivers to cure cancer. And I would think that the third thing is that we've got a government who realizes it could be giving away gold bars at the moment, everyone would still hate it with every fiber of their being. So they're flailing about trying to find something that may actually prove popular. And so they thought, let's get some charismatic things, but will throw in the glutenous snail in for good measure. Because of that, a glutenous snail is quite cheap to get. Yeah, yeah, we've got some, and yeah, they'll throw them in there and the glutenus snail will.
Speaker 3: Die out yet again.
Speaker 1: And because the rivers are just minging, but it's too expensive and too challenging and too difficult to go and actually repair the rivers.
Speaker 3: So there we go.
Speaker 1: Yes, so we have now found yet another government project, which although maybe in.
Speaker 2: If we say we weren't going for politics, I think we did, but here we are.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Always, what's that rule like that that you can't have an argument without mentioning the war in there's always it's one of those one of those things where yeah, it's basically impossible to not mention. I mean, they're the guys that make the decisions, right.
Speaker 3: Well, the other guys that make the decisions.
Speaker 1: But the problem is is that that the moment when they do these things is that rather than going and letting localized groups of farmers and environmentalists and conservationists work together and say, look, we reckon. We can bring back more yellow hammers here in Suffolk, we can bring more lap wings back, and we can. They want to go. Government always wants to have its say, and so it's not necessarily I'm saying, well, just labor a shit, it's just government, get out the way.
Speaker 3: Government.
Speaker 1: We don't need you. We need and we certainly don't need government trying to go and say wooh with released white tailed eagles, that means we're really good. Don't look at all the other ship, but look at the white tailed eagles. So they mask a graad, well, they mask themselves behind a shield of wildlife, and that's sad.
Speaker 2: I will say, If the white tailed eagle gets the public to engage in wildlife more, then that's actually quite good thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, that is bitten.
Speaker 2: You could what I've spent ten million getting a creature that nobody will ever see that we've actually got quite a few in that winter in the Lee Valley. Yeah, I've ever seen one. I'm not the kind of guy that hangs around with a spotting scope and all that jazz, So like, the chances are me seeing one are pretty slim. But like, yeah, it's if these things engage the public, then I get it. That's good. If they capture the imagination of kids and they want to grow up to be a ecologist and they want to protect the environment, then then that's good. So not all bad.
Speaker 3: But I suppose it's an argument.
Speaker 1: But I mean, I've never actually felt, you know, inspired actually by the obvious. I've always felt inspired more by the little curious and the ones that I know about. Yes, that's a fascinating little thing. And so therefore, you know, I particularly like dunnucks. I like dunnucks not just because they've got sex lives of complete but also it's because they are dowdy. They are gray and brown, and that's it. You know, there's nothing to go, Oh wow, you're not going to have probably a painting of a Dunnok, honey wall Hey listen, we've got to stop in a minute because poor Amy's got to go. And you know, I've toalking, and you've got to go deer stalking. But here's a you know, poles as in polls, not the country people from the country poem. Here's a very interesting thing right at the moment, there's a lot of poles going back. It's got May the seventh local elections coming up. In a recent pole, who drinks what sort of milk? Will show you who you are going to vote for in the upcoming local elections. Right, if you drink whole milk, you are reformed.
Speaker 3: Through and through is going.
Speaker 1: If you drink semi skimmed milk, you'll reform through and through the Conservatives to in second, if you get fat free fully skimmed milk, you're still a reform voter. If you drink powdered milk, you vote labor. If you drink almond milk, you vote labor. If you drink o milk, you drink labor. If you drink soy milk, you drink labor. But get this, you have your tea black, your vote reform. So there you go. That's it. This is the sort of poles I want to see, is the sort of and this is it? Right any road we better wrap up because you've got to go and take photgorass of people shooting deer.
Speaker 3: I have got to.
Speaker 1: Do more research on bittens, So thank you very much for listening. Everybody, Bye,