Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBS Boston's radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope you did better in the Super Bowl than the Kansas City Chiefs did. It's as simple as that. It was a blowout win for the Philadelphia Eagles. Correct spelling E A G L. E. S. Note to the Mayor of Philadelphia on that. My name is Dan Ray, host of Nightside. I enjoyed watching the game last night until it became a runaway, and I suspect most of you did as well. We have lots to talk about tonight. We will get to the big game. We'll get to the end of the game. We'll get to the ads, the TV ads. There were some good ones, some bad ones, some ones that are totally in memorable. We'll talk about the halftime show, which was interesting, to say the least. We have so much to cover tonight. We'll also talk about the soon to be layoffs sadly at mass General Hospital. Looks as if the el at Mass General We're going to take them quite quite a cut in jobs. We'll get to all of that. That story was broken by The Boston Globe today and is following on our Globe theme. I will tell you that I'm Dan Ray hosted Nightside. Rob Brooks is back in the control room and our first guest tonight none other than Emily Sweeney from the Boston Globe, who wrote a really interesting piece that was in the Boston Globe on January thirty first, the last day of January. I'm just well about ten days ago now when I do the math on this, when travel was treacherous for black people, the Green Books legacy in New England. Emily Sweeney, Welcome back to Nightside.
Speaker 3: How are you good, Dan, Hey, thanks so much for having me. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you coming on in. That is for sure. There was the movie The Green Book that starred Morgan Freeman, if I'm not mistaken a few years ago.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yeah, so there was a green Book movie was you know, based on you know, this concept which was you know a real thing.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah.
Speaker 3: Green Books were you know, really important to people of color who were traveling from the thirties through up through the sixties. And you know, there were some digitized you know, they got digitized and I started like looking through these green Books and I was amazed to see just how many locations there were all over New England. In Boston and beyond, and you know, I approached some editors at The Globe and mentioned it, and you know, we put together an amazing team to put together this Green Book project, which is like an interactive map of all the locations, and you know, and we launched it in time for Black History months.
Speaker 2: So now it's now the movie The Green Book, which came out a few years ago. I mean, that's it's been. I was produced, I was directed, I guess by Peter Farley, a local guy here in New England. But it was released in twenty eighteen, and it was it was a great movie. I enjoyed it. It was it was great history. But it was really focused on the South, on the Jim Crow South, and here in Massachusetts or New England. You guys discovered that the same problem exists, even existed even into the nineteen sixties throughout New England.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, I mean, Dan, I looked up a lot of stories and the other reporters who worked on this project as well. You know, you know, you think of you know, Jim Crow, you know, laws and things like that, and you think of that as like being like a Southern thing, but it really was across the country, you know, and it wasn't that long ago if you think about it. I mean, there were stories in the globe of you know, black college professors being turned away having reservations well in advance for hotels. There was a hotel up in Haveril that you know turned away, you know, a college professor who is here to speak for a conference, you know, just because of the color of his skin, and you know, it's anyway, you know. I was just surprised us to see how many Green Book locations there were. And you know, there have been other people who have you know, tried to you know, map these out There are a lot of scholars out there who have been, you know, documenting these sites. But we tried to really jill down and get every single location, like the exact location where they existed. And it's been quite it's been an amazing experience because I've contacted a lot of historical societies and local folks, you know, and some of these towns, a lot of people didn't even know that these places existed right in their backyards.
Speaker 2: So I see that you have a map that's associated with you story. So overall, again, give us just a rough idea how many locations were you able to identify.
Speaker 3: Over over three hundred and fifty, just over three hundred and fifty.
Speaker 2: And these were both were both restaurants and hotels or these primarily hotels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And actually I should have been more clear too, because you know, there wasn't just hotels. It was restaurants, it was gas stations, it was you know, garages, it was beauty polas. You know, there were so many beauty pilas back in the day, like fifties and sixties that were you know, owned by black women all over the South End. And you know, so it's pretty much all types of businesses anything anything you'd need if you were on the road, you know what I mean, like barbers, tailors, you know, drug stores and one cool thing we're going to be doing too, just to tie this together, you know, you know, kind of bridging you know, history past the present. On February twenty fifth, the Globe is going to be hosting a event at Roxbury Community College and with and we're going to have like a kind of a panel of speakers and just talking about the importance of black owned businesses and you know, how the community is doing today. And so that should be a really good discussion as well. That's February twenty fifth, and there's information about it on our website if you're interested in checking it out, So.
Speaker 2: If folks want to, if they missed the piece on January thirty first, it's titled when when travel was treacherous for Black people? The Green Books Legacy in New England. If they just probably google Green Book in Boston Globe, they'll they'll find this. Yeah, we think of ourselves in New England as sort of the abolitionist you know, base of the Northern universe. How did did these institutions, these these these restaurants and beautyful, honest and all that did they increase in New England? There was a pretty big migration of black people from the South towards you know, towards New England because we thought of as being a little bit more tolerant. But is it was it automobile travel that, you know, the mobility what prompted the need for the Green Book? Besides you know what, there must have been something like the arrival of the automobile. You know, most people in the eighteen hundreds probably never traveled more than twenty or thirty miles from.
Speaker 3: Their home yeah, yeah, you know there absolutely, you know that that definitely played the you know, the car and like, you know, people being able to travel and go on road trips with you know, take their families on vacations absolutely was a big portion of this. And also you know business travel, you know what I mean, business trips, you know, speaking engagements. Yeah, so you know, and another interesting thing is like we found what we found out was you know, the the Green Book, you know, kind of the most famous black travel guide that we know that was started by Victor H. Green in in the late nineteen thirties. There was actually a predecessor to that that was written by a woman in Connecticut that came out in nineteen thirty and she compiled all the hotels and places she could find that you know, were you know, absolutely welcoming of people of color. And it was interesting to see a lot of her listings, you know, were in Victor Green's Green Book, you know when when and that and that one. You know, Thetyed you know, had a lot of publishing power, you know, millions of people and you know was around for decades up until the sixties. But yeah, I would say you know that the focus was it you know, you know, Victor Green kind of put it as like, you know, be uh, you know, vacationing without aggregation, you know, and that was putting in my you know, because you know, obviously, you know, people of color could face like, you know, dangerous situations even if they went into the wrong spot. And this was kind of a roadmap, a really important guide, you know, almost about I hope folks will go.
Speaker 2: Back and find the Globe piece if they haven't read it as yet. And also I would highly recommend the movie Green Book. Watched it a few years ago. Is actually set being reminded, as they say, look at it in nineteen sixty two. I was mistaken for some reason. I thought Morgan Freeman had a role in that. The star of the movie was an actor named Marshalla Ali who depicted this concert pianist who doctor Dawn Shirley, who was an African American pianist who was in the need of a driver for this concert tour of the Midwest and South in the nineteen sixty two So it's not all that far away and not that long ago that Green Book was sadly unfortunately necessary. Emily Sweeney, as always, you always bring great, great topics to our program. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Oh thanks for having me, Dan, I appreciate it absolutely.
Speaker 2: Talk soon when we get back, we will have another fine guest. My name is Dan Ray. This is nights. I did a little bit of a hurried up introduction of Emily because there was so much to get there. Again, that movie Green Book. The Green Book is a great movie to watch. It's educational, historic, et cetera. When we get back, when I talk about American Heart Month, which of course is February Valentine's Day, and all of that, and we will talk about how to un choose the best eating plan for people concerned about their heart health, which should be everyone. We'll be back on Nightside. My name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside on WBZ, Boston's news radio ten thirty in the AM dial, Boston's news radio station WBZAM.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray, live from the window World Nice Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: We're joined by Gretchel Schuller Schuler, US World of News Reports Managing Health Editor. Gretel I said, Gretchel, I meant to say, Gretel I apologize.
Speaker 4: Okay, Hi Dan, thanks for having me. Good.
Speaker 2: How are you nice to make your acquaintance great. This is American Heart Month February twenty twenty five, and we're going to talking about some of the top heart health diets. My first question is, and this is a generic general question, but has the heart health diet or the heart health diets have they changed over time? Oftentimes the food pyramid changes. You know, people will always I'm sure a kid with you and say, first they told us you're supposed to eat this, and then they said don't eat. That is what we're talking about here. Top health heart diets. Are they diets that people should be following and should have been following for years.
Speaker 4: I mean the short answer to that is yes. I mean, the basic science of what makes a heart healthy diet hasn't changed a whole lot. If there's some nuance that, I don't want to get too much into the weeds in terms of like dietary cholesterol like people. This is a great example. People used to think that eggs were pure evil when it came to heart, you know, heart health. But now they're finding that, you know, even people with you know, higher cholesterol levels, for example, it's okay for them to have an egg or to you know, on a regular basis. They're not as evil as that. You know, we're once made out to be the dietary cholesterol.
Speaker 2: They're no longer evil. They're just expensive. Go ahead, I didn't mean to that is true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so maybe another reason not to eat them. But in terms of heart health they're okay. Yeah, But just generally speaking, there's no that's okay. But generally speaking, there are some sort of basic tenets when it comes to you know, look for a heart healthy diet, and one of the big ones is fat.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: You know, there's good fats and there's bad fats, and the bad fats those are like what we call saturated or trans fats. Those are the ones that are proven, you know, scientifically to raise cholesterol, including you know, the so called LDL bad cholesterol, and it can increase the risk of heart disease. That's pretty well established. But at the same time, you know, not all fats are created egle eat equal, and there are actually some fats that are good for you. And good fats are ones that are what they call uninsaturated fats. So those would be ones like found in olive oil or avocado or salmon or nuts and seeds for example.
Speaker 2: And those all the stuff, all the stuff, all the stuff that tastes good, you can probably.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm going to try and convince you that there are heart healthy foods that are all so delicious. That's okay, my goal. You're going to tell me avocados, right, Yes, salmon, So you could have a delicious dish of like roasted salmon with a little olive oil dribbled on it. You could have a side of brown rice or quinoa that would work too, you know, for a dessert. You know, ideally you try to minimize the sweets as they're inflammatory for your heart, but you could have like watermelon with some feta cheese on top. Any kind of fruit actually would do. It's again, it's a lot a lot of it is about moderation. Fiber is another thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ok, serious dark chocolate, right, so you're.
Speaker 4: Right that dark chocolate, and the darker the better. So not you know, the Hershey's bars or the Cadberry bars, the milk chocolate, that's not going to do it. But dark chocolate, the more cacao, the high or the percentage the better, actually has antioxidant effects. So again, everything in moderation. So it has been found to have heart health benefits. So if you're thinking of Valentine's Day coming up and you want to give someone some chocolate, it may not be their favorite, but dark chocolate could work. You could put that on the list.
Speaker 2: No, I have some dark chocolate every night for desserts.
Speaker 5: That's a great choice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it tastes good too.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So realistically here, what percentage of Americans do you think now are much more cognizant of what you're talking about than maybe we were twenty or thirty years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, the sobering statistic is that, you know, heart disease is probably one of the leading causes of death when it comes in adults in the US, especially when it comes to sort of chronic diet related diseases. It's, in fact, according to the CDC, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, it's the number one cause of death for men and women. And yet at the same time, you know, science says that about eighty percent of premature heart attacks and strokes are preventable. And there is I think, and people I think are being able to recognize us that that there's a strong connection between the foods we eat and our health. And the good news is we can't improve our heart health, you know, with the right foods and avoiding you know, the wrong foods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that is It's a challenge, There's no doubt about it. But it certainly is something that that we should aspire to. Is there anything in recent US News and World Report that you could cite for folks that they could find? It's one thing for to talk about it. Very few people out there are taking notes right now, but I'm just writing right Is there something at the US News and World's Report World Reports website that you could refer my listeners to?
Speaker 4: Absolutely so, just for a little context, you know, we here at US News and World Report, we have been evaluating diets for fifteen years and we have a team of sixty nine experts. These are doctors as well as dietitians who evaluate, you know, a long list of eating plans, and one of the categories they evaluate are the best heart healthy diets. So if you want the full list of the best heart healthy diets, you can read about those diets as well as sort of high level tips to you know, eat heart healthy. Usnews dot com backslash best slash hyphen diet, and you will see not only the list of best heart healthy diets, but also best diets to lower cholesterol and the best diets to lower blood pressure.
Speaker 5: So as well as we have a.
Speaker 4: Total of eleven different health goals that you can look at, everything from lowering fatty liver to losing weight to improving brain health.
Speaker 6: So we have those there.
Speaker 2: Just give me that website, Yeah more.
Speaker 4: Time, sure Usnews dot com backslash best hyphen diet.
Speaker 2: Perfect perfect that way everyone don't have a chance to write it down dot com slash best diet, Gretel, Thank you very much. Great information tonight. And I try to make this sometimes a little bit more, uh, you know, conversational, and I hope I didn't interject myself too much. But this is something no note at all, you know, something that I take really seriously. And I had some advice from a doctor many years ago that doc, chocolate is good for you. So I try to work that in because it tastes great too. I try to work that into every one of these interviews we do. And you've been a great sport and I love Yeah News and World Report. It's a great magazine and it's a website now I realize, but I can remember reading it as a magazine. You guys no longer publish correct me if I'm wrong. I just want to make sure I'm right, do you guys?
Speaker 4: We do publish an annual issue which includes Best Hospitals as well as some diet and nutrition information and some other stories in it. But yes, we are largely now online.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again put it on folks. Check it out usnews dot com or usnews dot com slash Best hyphen Diet. Thank you so much for joining us tonight, and we'll talk again.
Speaker 4: Absolutely happy to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks so much. Have a great night. Good night. When we get back and we talk about the Super Bowl. You know, it was only like twenty four hours ago they were still playing. Some people thought Kansas City still had a chance. We're going to talk with Christina Basilio about the Google trends that what people and this is kind of a little preview of what we're gonna do later on tonight at ten o'clock as well. So stay with us back right after the news here at the bottom of the hour on night Side.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray ONBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, it was last night twenty four hours ago, and that the Philadelphia Eagles were demolishing the Kansas City Chiefs. And here is Google trends expert Christina Basilio. Christina's been with us before. Welcome back, Christina, how are you.
Speaker 6: I'm great, so great to be back.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much. You're following what people were googling last night, And let's talk about terms, and did people not know some of the football terms? It seemed to be a lot of googling of references that the announcers were making that I thought most people would know what they were talking about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was a really interesting trend that we saw yesterday. There were searches for things like what is a pick six? What is a penalty? To things like even what is a first down? So it seems like maybe there's a newer fans we are attracted to football. Maybe we just wanted to get a better understanding of the game itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I guess if you've never watched a football game in your life, you know the concept of a pick six would be WHOA. I was pretty interesting. But obviously there was that d back from the Eagles that I guess on his twenty second birthday. His last name was Dejene. He intercepted the pass and ran it back for a touchdown, only became the second player in the history of the championship game. I guess it had never been done in the Super Bowl before, but it was done by Steve Van Buren way back, like in the nineteen forties. So you had those topics which people didn't understand when the commercials have. The commercials were an interesting mix, and we're going to talk about this later on the show and talk to callers during the ten o'clock hour. But I thought some of the commercials were really clever. I thought that the David Beckham the two David commercial was clever. But I thought of them really were flat. What did you think of the commercials as a whole, and then give us a couple that you liked and a couple that you thought fell flat.
Speaker 6: Perhaps, Yeah, So the commercials are always really interesting and something that we've noticed year every years, you did so many cameos. So the book dot com commercial that had the muppets, that one seems like it really played up on like things that are funny. Of course, I had to talk about the Google Pixel commercial that talks about how to use Gemini to do something like heartwarming, like really nail that interview and that storyline was really great to see. But there's just also really cool concept that I've been seeing and it's kind of like the trailer commercial that shows and so I don't know if you caught the Duncan commercial that was kind of like the sixty second ad. But then if you go to YouTube, they actually have a seven minutes and they're calling it like a Duncan movie commercial to get folks to really lean in and see more of what they're trying to talk about and get people excited about the brand. So it was really interesting to see the different ways that people and brands decided to use commercials this year.
Speaker 2: So here's my question. I love Duncans. It's a Duncan, so I do love the donuts too, but I love Duncans every day. Start with the Duncan. What do you think it cost Duncans to run that commercial? How many millions of dollars?
Speaker 6: That's a great question. I do not know. I know those spots go for millions of dollars and I don't have a guestimate to share for you, but I'm sure that someone had to really invest in what they wanted to do, and I hope they get a return on that investment.
Speaker 2: Well, see, here's the question I have about it is this, I've heard like three to five million dollars just to air the commercial. So then the question becomes becomes, I assuming that Ben Affleck and Bill Belichick on not giving up, you know, some of the very valuable time as well as their their name and their recognition endorsing the product, what do you think it costs to produce a commercial like that?
Speaker 6: It has to be millions of dollars, it has to be millions, And I'm pretty so that they have an entire like strategy around it, not only just that one spot that they're gonna land, but how do they get more legs out of it? And I think Duncan did the really create a thing of using all of that digital capital that they probably invested into that production to get a longer life. You know that thirty second add for millions with that seven minute spot, that's going to really invest for people to see it over and over again.
Speaker 2: So then the question is how many extra cups of coffee and donuts does Duncan have to sell, you know, to justify that expense. That's what boggles my mind. Does it boggle your mind?
Speaker 6: I mean they had to do something right because they have you and I talking about it right now, and all of our listeners are now thinking about it.
Speaker 2: I guess, I guess. Okay, let's talk about the halftime show. Now. You may or may not know this, but I'm not a huge Wrap fan, and I actually had trouble following the lyrics. What was what was the general public reaction to that extravaganza dance and musical performance.
Speaker 6: So that's really interesting. So Kendrick Lamar instead were the halftime show participants, so we did have a good group of folks. We saw some search interests in Kendrick Lamar's lyrics, the songs like Squabble Up and Not like Us. People were trying to figure out maybe one are the words songs they could jam alongside. One of the really cool search trends that popped up for me, and it happened for me when I watched the game too, was is that Serena Williams That was actually the breakout search during halftime because I don't know if you saw that she was there on the stage dancing, having a good time, and it seems like we all were like, wait, is that Serena? So that was a really cool search to see too, was.
Speaker 2: From what I from from what I understand, is that do we know for sure one way or the other?
Speaker 6: I thought it was Yeah, it was Serena.
Speaker 2: She was.
Speaker 6: Time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I felt like if they had passed out song sheet lyrics to the entire country, you know, it would have been better. I noticed there was no closed caption? How could close caption stick with that? These are the sort of questions that come into my mind, Christina, And I know it's a weird mind, but I'm just saying, where's closed captions when I need it?
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 6: It's almost like if they would have given us a print out of what was going to come for the show, then we all should have got prepared a little all know when to sing along?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's it's you know, when when my my wife watches you know, the British theatrical productions and even though I'm speaking English, I really don't get what they're saying because of the accent and whatever. It was just tough to follow last night. And how about the game, It was not one of the great Super Bowl games of history. There's there's no doubt about that. I can't remember a game where it was such a bowout that early. What what sort of reviews did the game itself get? Oh?
Speaker 6: That was actually one of our breakout searches for the game was what is the largest comeback? And when was the largest comeback? So folks were wondering that he Patriots way that the Eagles performed in the first half.
Speaker 2: New England Patriots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, but yeah, that was the.
Speaker 2: That was the comeback, right Atlanta and the Patriots.
Speaker 6: Yeah. And then there was another one with the Miami Vikings who came back and beat the Cults. I think they had a thirty three point deficit in the first half and ended up winning in overtime. So it was something that people were really interested in to see if the Chiefs would have it in them, and unfortunately they didn't this time.
Speaker 2: Maybe in a football game, but I don't know that there's ever been anything beyond what the Patriots get back from a twenty five point deficit late in the game. So we think about it as obviously we all were rooting for Philadelphia because we didn't want the luster of the Patriots run to be you know, in any way, shape or form over overshadowed by the Kansas City Chiefs. Now we're kind of like a regional group here in New England. We get a little you know, a little touchy, you know, defending at the Patriots and and what they accomplished compared to you know, but whatever it was, it's always fun. The Super Bowl is always fun. So you watched it? Did you watch it as a fan? Or were you already googling all of this stuff? Just am interested?
Speaker 6: So the fun part is I do watch it as a fan, but then I am googling stuff myself. My friends and I are having the conversation and after the game when we look at the trends and see what was like top of mind for folks. It is fun to see when like maybe things I was looking up like Tom Brady's watch, like everyone else was looking that up to, or looking up Serena, or looking at things about Kendrick. It is fun to see how like everyday thing, not just as someone who does the trends and looks at those things that we see all the time, but as an individual, as a human being. What we're all kind of on the same page.
Speaker 2: Don't take me wrong when I say this, but what you're really saying is the normal people are doing this as well, is what the experts were doing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I'm just teasing with you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to have fun. We did, That's all Christite. I hope you know me well enough at this point. Thanks so much for being with us today and love to have you back as soon as possible. Your great guest, Thank you so much. Thank you.
Speaker 6: Have a great night, everybody.
Speaker 2: All right, good night. When we come back, we're going to talk about something called micro romancing or micro romancing. I guess it's micromancing. Uh. It's it's a new trend. Uh, and guys are gonna love it, believe it or not. So stick with us, guys. Valentine's Day is just around the corner. Actually it's on Friday. We'll be back on Nightside after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ the News Radio.
Speaker 2: I learned a new word today, mic romancing. We're gonna understand what micromancing is with my next guest, Jennifer Steyer. She's a dating and relationship expert and founder of Lovability, a game changing app that's poised to revolutionize the way revolutionize the way singles connect. Jennifer, where were you and I were single? Let me tell you this. This sounds like it's a great thing for men. Uh, Men, don't be intimidated by this. Explain to us what is micromancing.
Speaker 5: Well, it's kind of getting back to old fashioned courting without all the complications and the expense. So we've really come we've kind of come full circle. I think covid was something that really really did a good thing for relationships and helped getting people right on track and get them on purpose intentional about finding love. And it's just it's we're really just been moving further and further into this, uh, this level of authenticity and dating and relationships. Now then we're closer than we've ever been.
Speaker 2: I think to that, Well, what's interesting when I when I finished with my last guest, I said, we're going to talk about micro romancing, And I said, guys, you're going to like this. Yeah? Am I right? When I say that guys are going to lie? It sounds like one of those terms where a lot of guys are saying, oh no, what that is, you know, I remember microma anything. I mean, it's it's just as a term. It might initially be a little intimidating, but guys, this is good for you, right, it is good.
Speaker 5: Here's the trick.
Speaker 4: It's slippery slope though, guys, because.
Speaker 2: Though you don't always, it always is.
Speaker 5: I'm giving you the tip. So it's it's one thing to be able to take your foot off the gas. It's little gestures. It's not a bouquet of flowers, it's one special flower. It's not an expensive dinner out. It's a night in the park with with a picnic, right, and a bottle of wine. It's the it's little things, gestures, bringing her cup of coffee in the middle of her day. Just little things that are that go a long way.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: But the problem is, here's the slippery slope. If you don't do enough, and you don't know what she likes and what she wants and what she needs, and you're not speaking her love language when you're doing it, she's going to see you as either being laid and then let you go, or you know, just just not breadcrumbing her. That's an old term where you're just kind of you know, emotionally unavailable. So you just have to make sure that you're engaged well.
Speaker 2: Well instead of being lazy. The guys if if you don't do this right, you might be perceived as being cheap. That too, that to you. Yeah, I just want to give. I want to you know, sort of read them, Miranda writes to them here if you know, if you know what I'm saying, just so that they don't, you know, get into trouble. So how did this So this came out of COVID, said, you're telling me that I thought that in COVID nobody was dating at all because everyone was afraid they're going to get infected by someone else.
Speaker 5: Yes, but what happened true. But what happened is everybody kind of went to on to the FaceTime and so people were facetiming and they were having more meaningful conversation. And so it's just been kind of moving slowly more in that direction. Plus you look at social media, you know the gen zs, they're all moving off of the dating apps. They're all going to TikTok and to YouTube influencers because they want that connection, they want that authenticity, they want the story. So it's just it's the trend now to get to what's real, which I love as a dating coach because it's where I've been going for such a long time. These people have been on these swiping apps where you like, in seconds and seconds, they're swiping on away a face that might be a great match for them because they don't like their face. And that's not what love is.
Speaker 2: And we all know that, right, and so what is There was a song about that, actually what love is? Yeah, I remember that one. Tell me what is the advantage then, of some of the apps TikTok and such you mentioned? It just gives you more time? I am theods As opposed to swiping and going through fifty you know, fifty potential dates in in half an hour, you actually can spend maybe fifteen or twenty minutes talking with someone. Is that okay?
Speaker 5: Yes, And you're engaged in conversation with other people that have interest like you, and so you may have a similar influencer and you start having a conversation online. Listen, I'm not on TikTok, I'm not gen Z, so I don't I really don't know how that all works. But what I will tell you is that the trend is towards authenticity. Somebody would rather have a really good deep conversation than go out to most people than it to go out to extensive dinner. So they're going to pick that place where they can have the conversation over the extensive wine and steak. Right, So it's that's the trend we're moving toward is.
Speaker 6: Let me get to know you.
Speaker 4: Who are you?
Speaker 5: How do we match? What we have in common? It matters now?
Speaker 6: Are they young people?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Are young people eliminated? Eliminating the middle and I shouldn't say middle person, the middle website meaning you know, they don't they somehow are able to connect with people directly and not have to worry about going to a dating consultant. Is just a little bit more I guess, I don't want to say old fashioned, but maybe more standards. Would that be a way to describe it.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's awesome.
Speaker 6: Yes, I uh you know.
Speaker 5: I've been a dating coach and a matchmaker for years and I will always tell people I would much rather than meet in person for parties sometimes and people meet in person and it's way better to do it that way. So we're moving back to a more traditional way of meeting people, which is amazing, especially for this younger generation. So uh yeah, so I think the baby boomers already have it and want it, but yeah, now they're getting on board.
Speaker 2: Okay. Now, I do a lot of politics, so I'm not going to put you in the middle here on politics for real, quick quickly. The country is kind of moving in a conservative direction in this last election, Okay, I think yes. Is society socially also following that direction? Is there are those stars aligned? I'm not looking, I'm not looking to make a big political point here, but it just seems to me that maybe we're kind of taking a little bit of a breather or taking a step back. And is that inaccurate?
Speaker 5: I actually nobody's ever asked me that, and that is a fabulous question. I would say yes, I would say absolutely yes. Hadn't thought about it. But you know, I have an app that I created because of the fact that the wipeouts weren't working and all the all the superficiality about it, and people have said that to me. I am you know, They'll say, well, this is a more conservative app for more conservative people, and I'm like, okay, you can call it conservative, but it's just people with more traditional values.
Speaker 2: Traditional traditional is better. Jennifer, How can folks get in touch with you? Do you have an app? I mean a website? I'm sure people would love to be touch I do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's lovability l O V E A B I l I T Y lovability dot A I. Or they can find me on Facebook. I do free coaching on Facebook every day, So find my personal account Jennifer Styers on Facebook and Styers is.
Speaker 2: S T Y E R S. Jennifer. I love to have you back. This was a fun conversation. You know, we don't descript questions in advance, as I'm sure you know, I just make them up as it go along. Thank you for acknowledging that last question as being within the realm of legitimacy.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, alcome, thank you.
Speaker 2: We'll talk soon when we come back. We're going to talk about big layoffs. Not good news expected at mass. General Brigham back on nights Side after the nine