Speaker 1: You're listen Saints kf I AM six forty the Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio f Bill Handle here on a Wednesday morning, May twenty eighth, as we end close to the end of the month, and so let me give you some stories that are going on. This is a big one Southwest Airlines, which I fly all the time. The days of the two bags were free finished starting today thirty five dollars for checking in one bag, forty five for a second bag, a third bag. If you happen to have three, try one hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 2: I mean crazy. And also the.
Speaker 1: State Department, starting yesterday suspended foreign students visa appointments.
Speaker 2: It looks like foreign students are going to be in.
Speaker 1: A little bit of trouble, not trouble so much, but won't be able to come here on student visas or will be severely restricted part of the new policy.
Speaker 2: Of the administration.
Speaker 1: Now we know that Canadians are boycottings because well principally because the Trump administration. President Trump said we want to annex Canada. We want Canada to become the fifty first state. You'll you Canadians will do so much better as American citizens. You'll make more money, you'll spend less if you are part of our family. Of course, Canada is a sovereign country and Canada likes being Canada.
Speaker 2: Canadians are not into being Americans.
Speaker 1: So the boycott is happening from Canada to the United States, where Canadian tourists are dropping like flies. How about the other way around. Canada has a huge number of American tourists. Matter of fact, the majority seventy nine percent of international visits in the third quarter of last year were Americans. And so since the boycott is going one way, Canada is doing everything it can not to have it the other way. And the reason Americans are not going is because anticipating anti American sentiment and therefore they're holding back. Well, Canada saying, don't hold back. We want you here. We are going to welcome you with open arms.
Speaker 2: We don't care about the politics.
Speaker 1: Now, this is a tourism business, saying politics are different. We may not like the administration, but we love you as individuals.
Speaker 2: And that happens all over the world.
Speaker 1: Vietnam, for example, if an American goes to Vietnam, American is treated wonderfully in Vietnam. They've always liked Americans, they just don't like americ cu or didn't. Vietnam had the very bad luck to win a war against the United States, which cost them decades of being labeled a pariah nation for the most part, being cut off in terms of any financial help.
Speaker 2: It took decades for.
Speaker 1: The United States and Vietnam to begin having relations, and finally when the US recognized Vietnam, which is basically North Vietnam, and Americans started going there and business started happening from minute one. You know, Americans are just treated wonderfully. You know, there's a lot of ham handed politics and propaganda about the Vietnam War, which they call the American War. But the bottom line, they realize that tourist dollars, that's free money to the country. There's no infrastructure they build. They don't build new new factories or new roads. They don't build new sewage plants, which they have to do when their country is growing, when people come in and their native population is spending money. Tourist dollars are the best dollars out there because it's just money coming in and a lot of money coming in. So the Canadian tourist industry is saying, hey, forget politics.
Speaker 2: You know, the politics are.
Speaker 1: So bad that at NHL games National Hockey League games, which a lot of Canadians play against Americans because the NHL is both Canadian teams and the American teams, when the national anthem is played the American you know, our national anthem is played. Both anthems are played, you know, Canadian, the Canadian anthem. Find everybody plays. Everybody stands up. When the Star Spangled Banner is played in Canada, everybody starts booing like crazy. That is not a fun position to be in.
Speaker 2: Boo It's a lot.
Speaker 1: Like Neil booz me whenever I say something that's questionable.
Speaker 2: Also hissing.
Speaker 1: Also all right here, there's a question can you disappear? And I'm not talking about David Copperfield disappearing. I'm talking about your identity disappearing?
Speaker 2: And is it possible?
Speaker 1: Maybe kinda sorta, but man, is it difficult. And I'm going to tell you a story when we come back. It is a Wednesday morning, May twenty eighth.
Speaker 2: Still a lot going on today.
Speaker 1: One of the questions that I'm asked all the time, and it's particularly on the Saturday Show, and we talk about it all the time. Is the lack of privacy? You know, how come we have absolutely no privacy? Well, think about your privacy and think about the world we live in. We've surrendered a lot of our privacy over the past two decades.
Speaker 2: Why because we want conveniences.
Speaker 1: We want free email, supercomputer in our pockets called phones, same day package delivery, the names of third and fourth cousins. We've never heard of doorbell cameras, traffic cameras, Google street view cameras, police cameras, phone cameras, retail security cameras.
Speaker 2: Nothing happens without someone video it, video it. The ray band made a smart glasses and.
Speaker 1: Glocating, geolocating phones and air tags, Sirius, Cyrus and Alexa. Evesdropping on us are televisions when they're off able to evesdrop on conversations. We have much less know exactly what we are we go shopping. There are programs out there that know exactly what we've shopped, how long we're in a store, where we've stayed in front of If we spend a lot of time looking at which cereal we want, they know that.
Speaker 2: So how do you stay private? Is it possible.
Speaker 1: Well, let me tell you the story of a guy named Alec Harris and his job, his tradecraft. His company is devoted to you being unfindable, and.
Speaker 2: Here's what he has to do. Mail addressed to him goes to a UPS store. When he buys online, he uses ubikey.
Speaker 1: It's a piece of hardware looks like a thumb drive to open Bitwarden, a password manager that stores hundreds of unique, long, random passwords. You've seen those when you get the spam calls and the spam emails, where you have.
Speaker 2: These incredibly long, ridiculous passwords that no one could ever ever.
Speaker 1: Ever figure out or certainly keep track of unless you've write him down individual. He strictly limits access to his work, which is to keep people private. He has personal phone numbers associated his main phone with ten different numbers, so you're calling his number if you can ever find it, and it goes to ten different numbers. He has burner numbers, project specific numbers, a local area code number to give out to workers coming to his house, a dedicated number just for the two factor authentication, and a number from a city where he previously lived that he doesn't use much anymore, but is helpful in confusing identity databases. That's the start of trying to remain private and disappearing. His mobile carriers can't associate with his device. He opens up multiple browser sections on the phone, each showing a different IP address, which limits tracking and prevents websites from getting the information on him.
Speaker 2: Because there is.
Speaker 1: There's so much out there, they're so disparate that it all doesn't connect. Look what he has to do. He has prepaid a nonymous debit and gift cards like Apple and Google Play. He has prepaid SIM cards. He has phones for use just in Europe. He has a Faraday bag to shield wireless devices from hacks and location tracking.
Speaker 2: We haven't started yet. He carries a passport card. He has a burner laptop.
Speaker 1: He has a wallet sized government issued ID, which, unlike a driver's license, doesn't show an address. It's like your passport doesn't have an address, but that's ID. When he's using Uber, he provides an intersection near his house, not his home, but a couple of blocks away as his pickup or drop off point for food deliveries. He'll give a random neighbors address, and after the order is accepted, he messages the driver, which of course we can do. And and he literally says, oops, I typed out the address wrong.
Speaker 2: Let me know when you're here, and I.
Speaker 1: Will run out and get the groceries at the wrong address.
Speaker 2: It doesn't stop.
Speaker 1: He's the CEO of a company called haven X, and what it does is provide the clients with extreme privacy and security services.
Speaker 2: Now is it just being paranoid?
Speaker 1: Is it just him saying, oh my god, I just don't want anybody to know about me. No, no customers and sometimes who pay tens of thousands of dollars a month face serious threats. Summer celebrities, some are very wealthy people, business executives. After the killing of the United health Care CEO Brian Thompson last year, executive CEOs the companies hired haven X.
Speaker 2: Boy. Let me tell you his is a growth company.
Speaker 1: He has done it, and lots of companies are in the security business. So you think he has a lot of competition. He doesn't. Look what he did when he bought a house. He set up a trust using a friend as a trustee. Once the home purchase was complete, the friend resigned and named Harris as his successor. So the house is in the name of the trust. But he's not the trustee. But he chansored the name of the trust. He transferred the owner of the trust to his name, but that doesn't show up on the records. On the assessor's records recording, it just says the name of the trust that owns the house.
Speaker 2: Go figure just keeps on going over and over the top on this, and that's what it's going to take. Who's going to do that.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're a CEO, if you're making forty million dollars a year, and you're susceptible to blackmail, yeah maybe, But the rest of us, now, I don't think so. Do you know any paranoid friends, paranoid the sense of health, paranoia, hypochondriacs. I E my stomach, Oh, I am my back. Oh I've got a hot beat that's really going I got I got vagina in my heart. Okay, sanjina, okay, fair enough. I always get the two confused.
Speaker 3: He got everybody's attention.
Speaker 2: I certainly did.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll come back with that Wednesday morning, May twenty eighth. Hey, something really terrific is going on.
Speaker 2: On my phone.
Speaker 1: My clock is out interesting it is what I just say Wednesday, May twenty eighth. Yep, I knew that.
Speaker 2: You know how we have a clock. Mine just went out. I figure that out.
Speaker 1: In any case, coming up June seventh, we are doing something we've never done before, and that is dinner with the entire Morning crew, and we are inviting five people to join us plus their guests, and it's gonna be at the Anaheim White.
Speaker 2: House, and that is going to be spectacular. If it never been.
Speaker 1: You're in for some of the best food you've ever eaten in your life. And if you have been, you know how good this is. So here is how you get your chance to join us, all of us in the Morning crew, which I said we've never done before. Is during the course of the show, before nine o'clock, you go to the KFI Radio app with the iHeartRadio app, and then you click on the bill handle show in the upper right hand corner. You see a microphone. Click onto that and then give us why you should go or why we want why you want to go. We're gonna pick some of the real good ones, put them in a hat, and then pull.
Speaker 2: Out five winners. And we've already gotten a few.
Speaker 1: By the way, don't tell me because you love us, or because you've been listening forever.
Speaker 2: I don't want to hear that, Neil. We've already gotten a few, right, we've gotten a lot. Okay, and we're gonna start through a.
Speaker 3: Bunch of them.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're gonna start I think we're gonna start playing them tomorrow. What do you think a few of them?
Speaker 2: Well, some of them might need to be bleeped out, but sure, so bleep them out. Yeah, give them the kono to bleeve. Yeah, we're fine.
Speaker 1: All of the listeners you have, yeah, well they're part of our crowd.
Speaker 2: All right. Let me ask you.
Speaker 1: Are you one of these people that are completely paranoid about your health? I know some people that are complete total hypochondriacs. On my stomach, I don't feel good. Oh I've got heartaches. No, it's you know, I've got heartaches. I'm not having a heart attack. And no, as I said before, it's not vagina, it's angina. But confusing, all right, fair enough, just all kinds of crazy stuff. I mean, I've gone through that where I've had chest pains and it turned out to be no big deal. I've had pains where I thought I or I'm bleeding and all of a sudden, I'm bleeding a little bit too much. Oh my god, i have leukemia, or I have hemophilia because I'm on blood thrinners because of my surgeries. Well, let me tell you what really does help the or ring you know about those or fit bid or an Apple watch or any of those. These track biometric data body temperature, heart rate, blood oxygen levels and others. Just what you need to know if you are a completely paranoid in a hypochondriac, and there is people are.
Speaker 2: Now starting to look at this.
Speaker 1: Experts are saying, wait a minute, Psychologically, this isn't very healthy because it gives you parameters that are considered normal, and not everybody is quote normal.
Speaker 2: People do bounce up and down.
Speaker 1: For example, take a blood pressure exam at the doctor's or at home, and the first time it's really high, and so then you calm down and all of a sudden it drops twenty points. I just did that with my doctor where it was really high, and I have controlled blood pressure. Granted I'm on some medication, which I have been forever, but it shouldn't be one forty over ninety five.
Speaker 2: So I'm going, oh my god, I'm in trouble.
Speaker 1: And the nurse said, you know what, sit down, think of some great thoughts.
Speaker 2: So there I was.
Speaker 1: I pitched a tent and I was thinking of nice thoughts, and she took my blood pressure again. It had dropped thirty points. So things do go up and down. Your body temperature goes up and down, your heart rate jumps up and down, and all of a sudden you're looking at this and going, oh my goodness, I'm in trouble. And so there's a couple of stories at New York Times did a couple of articles on this and went and interviewed some doctors and some people who were these or ring hypochondriacs. And the doctors basically said to these folks, you know what, here's the advice. I'm going to give you one piece of medical advice. As a result of this information you're getting Ditch the ring that or a ring, get rid of it. It's causing you so much grief. There was one person that was interviewed. This was Ellie Raleo or Raloh. He's twenty six year old author and he's a content creator or sash actually, and was checking her heart rate twenty four to seven you know, it's almost like we check our phones. How often do you check your phones for emails and texts? I mean we do that? How many times a day, Neil? How many times do you check where? You're looking at your phone?
Speaker 2: Less than I did when I was in management, but way more than I shall.
Speaker 1: Okay, Will, let me ask you. He's on his phone right now. Will is sitting there looking at his phone as we speak.
Speaker 2: Matter of fact, he's not even listening to us.
Speaker 1: He's cut us off, well because you're bugging him when he's trying to look up his stuff on his phone?
Speaker 2: Look up what? He has a computer in front of him. He's looking up traffic. No, he's not. You don't look up traffic on your phone. He looks up traffic in the computer in front of him. On the screen, that's where he looks up traffic. He's doing some kind of you know, private I don't know what the hell he's doing. Funny memes, it's funny now maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's doing Yeah, he's looking at gifts, Amy. How often do you look at the phone?
Speaker 3: Too often? But not much while I'm here?
Speaker 1: Oh so you're not, Will. But during the course of the day, how often do you look at your phone.
Speaker 3: During the course of it? I mean at least every one of your thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: Okay, good enough, Will now that you're back on what were you looking at?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: Some music I'm talking about you will some music.
Speaker 1: Stuff, okay, important music stuff, research for don't get something? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? How often do you go to your phone all the time? Yeah? Okay, that's my point.
Speaker 1: And the hypocontriacts go to their oral rings through their phone constantly.
Speaker 2: And this is not good news.
Speaker 1: Not that you're not screwed up anyways being a hypochondriac, but this is I guess it makes everybody a hypochondriac who are wearing those order rings or those fit pits that are looking at them constantly. We're seeing how many steps a day you're taking because you need your ten thousand steps.
Speaker 2: All right, we're done, guys.
Speaker 1: Let's finish it up. Oh, talking about phones. The President has effectively forced or is in the course of forcing Apple to make iPhones in America, and can it be done?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Sometimes you ask for too much.
Speaker 1: We'll end the show with that as we finish the last of the show on this Wednesday until tomorrow, where we start all over again.
Speaker 2: I guess, damn, I'm good at this stuff as.
Speaker 1: I figure out timing some of the big stories we are looking at. And if you fly Southwest Airlines, this one's a tough one. It used to be two bags for free. That was their mantra. That's what made them very special. Well those days are completely gone starting today, first bag forty five dollars, second bag No, first bag thirty five dollars, second bag forty five, third one hundred and fifty dollars. Overweight luggage up to two hundred dollars in fee. So much for two free bags. Apple phones. Now I happen to have an Apple phone. A lot of people do have Apple phones, and as you know, Apple phones are manufactured in China, also Vietnam. Recently, one of the things that President Trump has requested required made a massive move towards is bringing manufacturing to the United States. And you know, I don't know how many people are against that, putting American workers on the payroll. We don't have much of unemployment, but okay, we want to bring factories, spending the money here and spending instead of spending it overseas. Now it's easy to say, hey, I want you to bring your company the manufacturing to the United States. And in the case of what President Trump has said, if you don't to Apple, it's a twenty five percent tariff, teriffs paid by the consumer or the companies that are importing him. He says, Oh, it's the other it's the countries themselves who manufacture and ship over here that pay the tariffs.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely not true.
Speaker 1: If you buy an iPhone, you buy a product, and I do this, I buy a product from China, which I do, and for everye hundred dollars of money I spend on the product, I pay a tariff on that.
Speaker 2: On that, I pay the tariff.
Speaker 1: And so for a period of time with China and its stainless steel cookware, it was one hundred and seventy five percent tariff. So I brought in one hundred dollars. I had to write the government of the United States one hundred and seventy five dollars. Didn't work out so well, not for a lot of company. So what the President then reduced it because it was so untenable. So Apple is going to be hit with tariffs, or we're going to be hit with tariffs of twenty five percent and so okay, so let's move to the United States.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you what it takes.
Speaker 1: To move iPhones, the iPhone manufacturing to the United States, shifting away from China India, for example, that have highly specialized workforce and skills that are needed to produce these Apple phones. We don't have people that have those skills. We can, we will. But you think that happens overnight, it does not. China has a system of factories, plants, distribution tailored specifically for assembling electronics. The big company fox Con, which assembles the iPhone, employs nine hundred thousand people. It manufactures other stuff, but nine hundred thousand people, of which a huge percentage.
Speaker 2: Is it a factory that manufactures people? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Probably during break Well, it's not just a factory. It's obviously as campus is full of factories. But senior vice president of an international market research company, Kantar, says that the expertise to make each of the components is something that has be worked on for a long time. Production processes are specialized. It's not one size fits all.
Speaker 2: You can't do it.
Speaker 1: And is there are there enough people that will work at manufacturing jobs assembling these iPhones. We're talking now to talk about the highly skilled people, but I'm talking about the mass number of people who work under that that level of expertise. Now, Apple said in February is going to invest five hundred billion dollars in growing its US footprint over the next four years, which, okay, we're going to have jobs, manufacturing jobs. Well wait a minute, it really is towards boosting research and development development, opening a new facility to manufacture servers, to really support Apple intelligence software features, Launching a Detroit academy to teach companies about smart manufacturing techniques and AI. That's where the money is going to go, not towards establishing factories because it's just too damn expensive. The bottom line is it really can't be done. Now Here is the question I have. Is President Trump serious about continuing at twenty five percent tariff and other tariffs or is this merely a threat that he is using to move the manufacturing over here.
Speaker 2: And I don't know the answer, but I'll tell you it seems to work.
Speaker 1: There's a story I'm probably gonna do about what's going on with Mexico and his threat about invading Mexico to stop the fentanyl transport to stop the immigration. By the way, it has worked beautifully, just the threat. So we don't know the answer, but I'll tell you what we do know. iPhones are not going to be manufactured in the United States anytime soon.
Speaker 2: Okay, we are done.
Speaker 1: Now, coming up, Gary and Shannon, we're back again tomorrow morning.
Speaker 2: We start with wake.
Speaker 1: Up Call and that's Will and Amy, Neil and I jump aboard until nine o'clock and of course always Anne and Kno here to make things work.
Speaker 2: That's it done, tomorrow morning. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 1: Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app