Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Pictures Media Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Policy and rights.
Speaker 1: Shows. Welcomer Policy that human joys. Yeah, welcome back to polity right here in Depictions Media Radio, I'm your host Michael Cloggs. And in this next episode, Well, well, let's first discuss some of the goings on in the world today. Okay, Well, there is still the question of ID in the US elections and how it may affect especially uh uh married women that they uh may not be eligible to vote because of their name not matching all across all of their IDs, because of their the the married name and name changes, thus limiting uh women from being able to vote. And it's something that was added into with the nineteenth Amendment and fought hard for as women marched and and they fought hard for the right to vote along with we're going to move into the nineteen sixties. If if women's right to vote falls, what about civil rights movements from the nineteen sixties, what about the work that Martin Luther King did? If one right falls, we have to accept the idea that somebody is going to attempt to take away more rights. It isn't just going to be a single event that they are going to work hard to prevent more and more rights. Okay, onto the idea of tariffs, of course, that well, the tariffs will be paid for or buy the government the people of the government who impose the tariff, meaning that if Canada imposes the tariff against against the United States, the Canadian people are the ones who are actually going to pay for that tariff when they actually buy the products it. In the long run, it is it will collapse in economy rather than help the economy, because what eventually winds up happening is is that the industry is itself that you're that you're placing these tariffs in order to protect the government's gotta gotta find resources to keep boosting and protect that that industry. There are better ways to actually enable a industry to thrive within its own borders, and that is by allowing each and every one of the states to join in joint commerce freely and allow the products to move quickly from say Maine, all the way to California, or if we're talking in Canada, from Apei to British Columbia, allowing free trade through the provinces and allowing the premiers to work out those particular logistic problems of getting products moved and doing commerce among themselves is a better way to protect the local economies. With that being said, and tarifs and everything, that, in my opinion, is going to become the job of the new Prime Minister, whoever it may be, that they're going to have to find new trade lines for Canadian merchants, new ways of getting products, importing products into the into the country. When we have products being brought into California and then being shipped from California into Canada, that it is subject to all the all of the tariffs that are being put in place. An end result is that when you go to that go to the store to buy the products, you're the one, as a consumer who has to pay the tariff. And that is something to be remembered as we hear how are elected officials are trying to fight against mister Trump as he appears in the United States. So with that, we're going to hear from Green Party co leaders as they are interviewed by the First Nations Network about First Nations issues and things that directly affect our indigenous friends. Since we are also on and operating on living on the traditional indigenous lands. This is their land before fourteen ninety two. Ever happened before Christopher Columbus, if you want to want to go that way, before the Europeans discovered that this land existed and they renamed it America. So those indigenous issues are extremely important because a lot of those issues are gonna lead back to stewardship. How do we take care of the land so that the land takes care of us. Here's the thing. We're gonna hear a lot about climate change and things like that as as campaigns move forward, and we're gonna hear a lot about how, oh we need to kill this LNG product, we need to stop the removal of the Tarsans. We're gonna hear a lot about.
Speaker 2: That that.
Speaker 1: Is not entirely true. What needs to actually happen is that if we remove trees from the forest so that we can build homes, that we do that we do the removal in a way that allows the land to regrow the trees. Let's say that again, because I think that we as a voting public need to understand this and we need to project that to these elected officials, that we need to have a plan in place that as we remove the resources from the land that it allows the land to replenish those resources. We have to become part of a cycle that keeps building our world in a way that it is renewable. Our planet wants to renew itself, and if we prevent we create an environment that prevents this renewal, we could face ultimate. So let's move forward, and we're going to start by listening to Elizabeth May and Jonathan Pinault as they are co leaders of the Green Party as they speak to the First Nations Network and the First Nations media about issues around Indigenous rights and stewardships.
Speaker 3: So we would like to officially welcome everyone to the first Virtual Forum hosted by the Assembly of First Nations for of course First Nation leadership from across the country with the various party leaders leading up to the forty fifth general election on April twenty eighth, twenty twenty five. So it's very important to start today's session in a good way. So we will have an opening prayer from knowledge Keeper Leonard Weasel Traveler. Leonard Weasel Traveler, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Hey, thank you very much. So always an honor to be able to provide support for meetings events such as this my honor to call on the Creator, the source and giver of life, to to be with us in this in this session for asking for divine inter intervention from God to help help all of us. We all have our individual needs as the creators to provide all our needs, as the Creator to give to give us the positive energy for the best possible outcome for for this meeting, for the session, especially for all my brothers and sisters across across this country. Uh, we need good leadership. We need there's so many things that we need and we look to to the leadership, We look to government to provide the needs for us. So my prayer is is for that support and for everybody that's participating in this virtual session, this virtual meeting. I will say a few words in my my first language, Ah, I was bad to build high not to spos and homogene ochi cocon hanikagu ogenstaga chipu kinonista makinisko gonna imad understa now used to MONI come. My prayer was gaining what I mentioned for support and divine intervention for the best possible outcome for for everybody that's participating in this meeting today. Amen, be Rich.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much to knowledge Keeper Leonard Weazel Traveler for opening this session this afternoon. Now the Duga and I may have been doing them then su. My English name, of course is Adam Fiddler, and I will be hosting and moderating the session with the group on behalf of the Assembly of First Nations here this afternoon. And as I mentioned, of course, this is the first session for the Assembly of First Nations virtual forums with the various party leaders. A few housekeeping announcements before we get started, just to let you know, there is simultaneous translation available for both English and French. You can select a language by clicking the translation icon at the bottom of the screen of course, the little glow icon at the bottom, and you can either select French or English. Both translations are available. There is also closed captioning available for the session. Believe that all participants that are online did get a link and you can click on the link. We will try and make it available here as well. You can click on the link and you will be able to see the closed captioning. Also, just a reminder that this virtual session will be recorded and it will be posted online after each of the forums has been held. They will be publicly posted, So just a quick review of the agenda for today. Of course, we will begin with opening remarks from National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Sneepanek, who will be welcoming the Green Party co leaders Elizabeth May and Jonathan Pedno to our forum here today. The party leaders will be given five minutes to provide opening comments before we go into the moderated question and answer period. So the AFN has developed five questions that we shared in advance of this session, which will cover the following topics Number one Canada US border and trade, Number two First Nation's infrastructure gap, number three water, number four policing, and number five children and families. So once we make it through those five questions, we will open up the session for any questions from registered First Nation leadership. If you would like to pose a question to the Green Party co leaders, please write your question and submit them in the Q and A box at the bottom of your screen. So we'll go through as many questions as we can within a forty minute period. So just a reminder, go to the bottom of the screen. There's a Q and a box. If you don't see that, you should be able to go to other and then just click on the Q and A session. At that point you can type in your question. After we've finished the question period, we will invite the Green Party coop leaders back for closing remarks, and we will invite the National Chief back as well, Cindy Woodhouse Nepinac, for closing remarks, and then we will end the session again, very important to end in a good way with a closing prayer from Leonard Weisel Traveler. So at this point we are very pleased to have National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Nepanac with us here today. National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Neepinac was born and raised in Panama, tank First Nation, Manitoba. Her ancestor, Chief Richard Woodhouse, was an original signator to Treaty number two. She began her term as National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations on December seventh, twenty twenty three, becoming the youngest woman and mother to hold the position. So we'd like to welcome National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Sleeping back to the session today to provide opening remarks and of course introduce the Green Party co leaders with that National Chief. National Chief, you're on mute. Just to let you know no we still can't hear you. So now there we go.
Speaker 5: We're good, perfect, well up a chick kitchen and Makakabijaianomanung. My name is Cyndy wood House Sleeping Act and I come from Petain, First Nation. Jimmy Wetch to Elder Leonard Weisel Traveler for welcoming us this morning and starting this afternoon, starting this off in a good way. It's the first time the Assembly of First Nations has hosted all the different leaders and to talk about what's happening in our country. Adam, I want to thank you as well for agreeing to host these sessions as we talk about the kind of country that we want. So I want to again thank the Elder for the prayer, all the chiefs that are here, the Council, the First Nations leaders, First Nations members and members of the media for attending today. We are so I'm thankful to be coming to you live from treating One Territory and today's session is the first of a series of online forums that the Assembly of First Nations is hosting with each of the federal party leaders prior to the April twenty eighth election. These sessions are being recorded and we will post all of them online before the election so that all First Nations and all Canadians can hear what each of the leaders have to say. This is the first time, of course, that the AFN has hosted a series like this with the party leaders. So I want to uplift and thank our staff for pulling things together and for making sure that things run smooth today, and to make sure that our leadership and our First Nations across our beautiful country have access to federal leaders that want to be Prime minister in this country. If we ever needed an election forum series exclusively for First Nations, I think twenty twenty five is the year that we have to do it. Not only are we moving into a dangerous era of US colonialism, we are also coming up to the tenth anniversary of the Truth and Reconciliations commissioned historic calls to action, And as we have said at the outset of this campaign, Canada's economic success and future stability depend on First Nations being full and equal partners in decision making. Our rights are affirmed in treaty, recognized in Canadian and international law that must be upheld over five hundred and sixty billion dollars of projects are forecast to be launched on our traditional lands over the next decade. They have been a focus point on the selection and rightfully so so. The potential benefit of these projects is in the trillions of dollars. They represent a cornerstone of Canada's future economic growth, but they won't advance without First Nations support for this campaign. The Assembly of First Nations released a document Capture First Nations, that captures First Nations priorities for each of the leaders to consider. We've sent it to them and it's called Prosperity for All, and we have sent it out to all First Nations. In addition to the calls to action and resolutions for Chiefs and Assembly, Prosperity for All document reflects the calls for justice on behalf of our missing and murdered First Nations women and girls, and Canada's United United Nations Declaration Act. It also outlies the key commitments we are seeking from party leaders, particularly related to economic reconciliation to Canada, US trade and border mobility, policing on First Nations, policing on clean drinking water for First Nations, and on the well being of First Nations, children, families and the environment. So we'll touch on each of these in this forum today. It's my absolute pleasure to introduce you and welcome the co leaders of the Green Party. My friend Elizabeth May has been the MP for Sanach Gulf Island since twenty eleven and she is running there in this election. Elizabeth was first elected Green Party leader in two thousand and six and she served in that role for thirteen years. She was electtion to cole lead the Green Party in twenty twenty two. So thank you today Elizabeth and your commitment to First Nations issues throughout your career. We'd lift you up in a good way for always stabbing up for the environment and being an ally to First Nations in the House of Commons as well, with the Green Party co leader Jonathan Pena. Jonathan was elected Green Party co leader with Elizabeth in twenty twenty two. In this election, Jonathan is running in the Quebec writing of Outermont. So I want to thank you Jonathan for joining us today. Finally, I want to thank our moderator Adam Fiddler for taking the time to manage these sessions. You've always done such a great job at our assemblies, and I'm so glad that you know that you came to help us today. We wish you all a very good meeting, a good discussion on the twenty twenty five federal election. So I look forward to listing and learning from all of you on you know, how we move forward together.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you very much. Which National Chief Cindy woodhost SNEAPINAX. So at this point we'll take five minutes and we'll turn it over to the co leaders, Elizabeth May and Jonathan Pinnell.
Speaker 6: I want to I'm deeply honored to be joining. I think Jonathan, you and I are sharing five minutes. We went don't want to respect that we share everything, so that's not unusual. I just wanted to start if I made Jonathan with a huge maguitch. And what an honor to be in a first panel, to be welcomed by samilya First Nations National Chief and for you to identify me as friend Cindy, Cindy Wood, House, Sneap and AC. I'm deeply honored. I wear the ribbon skirt you gave me with such gratitude to many events, and it was so kind at that water honoring ceremony when I first met you in Winnipeg when you were a regional chief, and I wish you so much, so much blessings and the Creator sean on you and the work you were doing, and meeting your parents that time too. If that wasn't that time another time I met your parents anyway near mind, I shouldn't do this.
Speaker 2: I always do this.
Speaker 6: A's start going down rabbit holes. I want to thank Adam Fiddler for moderating, and especially to knowledge Keeper Leonard Weasel Traveler for starting us out in such a good way. I want to acknowledge that I speak to you today from Wassenich Territory on southern Vancouver Island and in the language of the peoples who have occupied this land from time immemorial. Raise my hands to all of youssim I see, it's so amazing to realize that on this call we also have another chief, just extraordinary leader in cookby Roseanne Kasimir. So I say to her, cook's jum amazing work that is being done throughout SNS and all the First Nations across Canada. I'd say one or two things and then turn it to Jonathan very quickly, because there's a lot to cover. A Tomorrow, I'm launching and announcing publicly the platform of the plank of the platform on Indigenous issues for the Green Party. I've been keeping track in this election of what I call am I a missing in action issues. We don't hear about Indigenous reconciliation climate, both critical issues and not being talked about much. So I'd be honored to present some of our platform today and answer any questions, and I thank you for again mag Rich for sending the questions ahead of time. I'm deeply honored to share that Green Party doesn't have leaders who operate top down. We're not in charge of anyone but our own conduct. Jonathan and I are co leaders understood to be co spokespeople.
Speaker 2: We're not.
Speaker 6: You know, we don't have a top down control system. We don't whip votes. Our members of Parliament represent the people of their community, and we are not hierarchical. We try to break out of the expectations of colonialism, repression and exploitation. Years ago, our membership passed resolutions to denounce the doctrine of Discovery, to make it clear that Indigenous reconciliation requires a nation to nation relationship with respect towards Indigenous sovereignty, and we also of course frame our platform around the United Nations Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. We confirm the support for the calls to action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and the work of the Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls. We will implement those calls to justice and calls to action. So atois de toi la parol jonata.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Elizabeth, and I'm also deeply honored to be here. Thank you National Chief Adam Fidler, speaking to all of you today from Trachek on the traditional and see the territory of the Inkyaga Nation. And it's a nutherer for me every time I have a chance to sit in for us like these, to learn more and hear about the concerns of Indigenous and First Nations throughout the country. We have an awful lot of work to do in Canada to live up to the work, the difficult work of reconciliation, but the work that is absolutely needed. And it pains me as a Quebecer to see that this work is very much lagging behind here in Quebec, probably more than in some other provinces. But I think that collectively we can continue to move this agenda forward. Elizabeth touched on the MIAs in this election, and certainly reconciliation has not been brought forth as a priority by media, who is very much busy with what is happening south of the border. And I'm very grateful for the opportunity that we have here today to discuss issues that are close to my heart and Elizabeth and the Green Party at large, so that we can collectively build a country not just for tomorrow and the day after tomorrow, but the generations to come. Thank you, Migwitch.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. Both Jonathan Pedno and Elizabeth May of course co leaders of the Green Party of Canada. So what we've done is we've identified five questions. They've been sent to the leaders ahead of time, and then of course after that we will be opening up for any further questions here online. Now the plan is three minutes for each response, so I'm not sure which co leader will respond, so I'll leave that to you at your discretion, whether you want to tag team and split your time or whether it's one person. I'll leave that to you. So, of course, the first question, how will you include first nations in first nation or sorry in First ministers meetings and other federal, provincial territorial meetings dealing with Canada US border security and trade of course a big.
Speaker 6: Issue right now, May I Jonathan, and I'll go quickly as I can. I'm putting my timer on. Greens have a concept for a new system of governance for Canada at large, which will not require reopening the constitution, but on every issue Indigenous peoples should be at the table. And we drew this model from Australia, which left out Indigenous people. Ironically, the Australian model is called the Council of Australian Governments, so there's a seat at the table for the federal government of Australia, their state governments, which are kind of like our provinces, and local governments municipalities. We make our table in four quadrants, so it actually kind of looks like a medicine will when you draw it. So federal, provincial, territorial, local, Indigenous, so that on every issue our vision of how Canada functions is not a First Ministers meeting, but everyone at the table to try to try to row our canoe in the same direction all the time, that we would pick by consensus a goal of that's national and work towards it together. So we would have no discussions about trade with the United States or any other issues without indigenous leadership at the table. And Johns and I think I've left you about a minute left.
Speaker 2: Maybe No, that's great, Yeah, I mean I think we have You know, I'm from a generation that didn't go through the traumas of institutional discussions in this country. But I do think that we are ripe very soon for new discussions about the state of the nation Indigenous communities. We're not at the table in eighteen sixty seven, and I do think that we need. We have a lot of lessons from the ongoing work on reconciliation that we can draw from concrete examples of places where things can and should be better in terms of including everyone's voices and respecting the primacy of Indigenous knowledge and ownership of the land that we are grateful to live on. And that is something that I think very soon we need collectively as Canada to bring back to the table. How do we make sure that everyone's voice is at the table, especially on the question of the US relationship right now.
Speaker 3: Thank you both so much for the response and sticking with the timeframes that we have. So the next question is dealing with the infrastructure gap. What steps will you be taking first of all in the first year and then throughout your term to close the first nation's infrastructure gap across the country. And I'll leave it to you how you respond.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth, you're the elder statement.
Speaker 6: Well, let me go, then, I was just warning. I thought we should take turns, but I'll go first. Infrastructure gap is enormous, and again we start with the existing recommendations. So one infrastructure gap was identified in the inquiry into Missing a murdered Indigenous women and girls. How is it that in a modern industrial country like Canada, people are left a hitchhike if you have wealth and you have a car and get around. But other than in our urban areas where there's pub transportation, there's virtually no public transportation. So to get from to get to Prince George and you're on you're either you have a big car or you have a or you're on an airplane. We need to listen to those recommendations. One was we also endorse guaranteed Liverpool income. The other is from the missing murder Indigenous women and girls. Directly to infrastructure is to ensure safe, reliable and low cost public transportation across Canada. We also fully support that recommendation of that inquiry to shut down man camps, reducing risks and reducing environmental damage. The other key piece of infrastructure, of course, and make up in another question is for indigenous control over infrastructure to deliver clean drinking water. We certainly support that and it's been way overdue.
Speaker 2: All add that we've we've also we're also very concerned about food security throughout throughout Canada and all Canadians, but especially in a number of First nations throughout the country up north. I was just in the Yukon, where carrying food from the bigger cities into communities is extremely expensive. We have the solutions technologically and otherwise to make sure that food production can be more localized and closer to the communities, but that needs to be made possible through the various regulations, So work with the territorial and provincial governments on that front, but also seed investments that are needed for these projects to actually see the light of day and reduce the cost of food throughout Canada, and especially in communities that are more isolated from the production center, so that is also something that is very important. And then housing. Housing remains a crisis throughout the country, but especially in First Nations and communities throughout the country North. That is something that the Liberals are now slowly trying to improve. But the investments need to be wider, bigger, and the houses need to be delivered faster. And that's why we want to get the federal government back into the actual business of building the homes itself, not just pushing this into the hands of private developers.
Speaker 3: Great, and just to legend both know, I mean we're a little bit flexible. I did say three minutes, but there are two of you as co leaders, so there is some flexibility to give you a little bit of extra time if you need it to be able to respond properly. But we will go to the next question, and another very important issue, of course is water, and I'll let you decide who responds first. And again a little bit of extra time is okay. The question is what is your plan to introduce a bill something similar to Bill C sixty one, the First Nation's Clean Water Act, and to end the outstanding boil water advisories on reserves across the country.
Speaker 6: If I can start just by saying C sixty one was introduced in my view, I mean, I know there was support for it, We would have supported it, but it certainly was flawed in the failure to fully engage in consultations in advance with indigenous peoples across Canada with First Nations and understanding how C sixty one should best be framed. We certainly support in all and stress all and underlined that aspects of indigenous governance, self governance, respect for sovereignty and so yes, making sure that safe drinking water, potable water is delivered to all First Nations homes, but waters more than that water is controlling the watershed, is making sure that control over logging protects a watershed, making sure that wetlands are protected because there's green infrastructure that protects clean drinking water. It's not all concrete and pipes. And that also means listening to indigenous wisdom, listening to communities and elders and what was water like before contact, What was the system that was existing before exploitation and colonialization. It also is something that I want to mention is that I did get a bill through Parliament and the Senator Chreas Senator Mary Jane McCallum helped me enormously, so I took it through the House, she took it through the Senate for a bill towards Indigenous well environmental justice and an end to environmental racism. So in communities across Canada we find more toxic waste on Indigenous lands, the disrespect of Indigenous peoples and culture through through many cases across kind of environmental racism. I think that also does apply to water, safe drinking water and indigenous sovereignty over maintaining those systems to ensure clean water.
Speaker 2: And knows that very briefly. Of course, we're also planting for stronger regulations for extractives who are affecting the quality of water in so in so many water streams, just as Elizabeth was mentioning for all too long now the mining sector, the oil and gas sector are being allowed in some cases facilitated that the opportunity to operate near water ways that are essential to the provision of drinking water for several Indigenous communities and other communities throughout the country. And we want stronger regulations that should not come as a surprise, but they need to play by the rules and when they don't, they need to pay and they need to compensate. The last thing is that, of course, we would also be supportive of giving legal rights to bodies of water, whether it's the Saint Lawrence River the Great Lakes, to allow for groups of citizens indigenous communities to sue when they pollute these bodies of water, as we know they have and sadly will continue to do unless we have stronger regulations to prevent it.
Speaker 3: Thank you both for the response. So I'd just like to remind everyone those of you joining the sessions as well that have registered and formally joined the session. We did identify five questions that were pre identified and sent to the party leaders, so we'll be going through those five questions. We've got two more, at which point we will open it up to any questions on the floor from any registered participants. So if you do have a question, what we will do is we'll be going through those and just a reminder, go to the bottom of the screen. There should be an icon Q and a with a question mark. Just click that and you can ask your question and we will be looking at the questions. We'll be going to that as soon as we're done the two predetermined questions. So again, the next question deals with policing, and the question is what steps will you be taking to call for a public inquiry into in custody deaths and introduce a bill establishing First Nations policing as an essential service that includes long term funding and recognition of First Nation's jurisdiction. So again, I'll let you decide who response first.
Speaker 6: I'm so angry, I'll never get over losing chantell More on June fourth, and now it's three years coming up. Well, that's checks and the policing that kills people and calls it a wellness check. It's long overdue that we deal with the systemic racism within policing across Canada. By the way, when we talk about the numbers of Indigenous peoples in jail, Jonathan and my deputy leader, Rainbow Eyes is a member of her traditional territories at night Inlet In BC. She's currently appealing a sentencing of fifty one days in jail for nonviolent land defense of indigenous as an Indigenous land defender against logging in ulgrove forests. But we're looking at the desperate need to reform the RCMP. The report which I'm sure you're familiar with, but the Mass Casualty Commission that looked at the killing of twenty one people in Nova Scotia by alone deranged white rich man. I mentioned that because if he wasn't a white rich man. It came up very clearly in the five thousand pages of the Mass Casualty Commission report that for over ten years, various people had reported that this man was dangerous, that he had been abusive to Indigenous women, that he'd beaten up on someone who happened to be sitting at a bus shelter right in front of where this man's denture clinic was in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. He killed twenty one people in a shooting spree, but the RCMPI had had many reports about him, and you go through the police reports they're in this Mass casually report, and they'd say, well, the police wouldn't investigate. For instance, when he beat up people, They said, why would this rich guy beat up and steal from a poor person. You just know that policing in Canada had this. The alleged perpetrator been Indigenous or a person of color, they would have absolutely believed that they beat up on people. But they were rich white guys. So there's a disproportionate, as we know, disproportionate level of Indigenous people and people of color in our prisons. And that's not an accident. It has to do with the deep racism within our policing. So it's a matter of urgency that government live up to the previous commitment it made to indigenous policing in Indigenous communities. If the government, I pledged to you, if the government doesn't act in the new Minister of Justice bring forward such a bill immediately, I'll be drafting it and producing it as a private member's bill. We have to have action on this. No, not again, should any I mean, we need to investigate all the wellness checks where Indigenous people are killed, and we need to make sure that we thoroughly investigate and better train police officers. But Indigenous communities should be policed by people who are community members within indigenous communities.
Speaker 2: And very briefly beyond that, there's also the question of reconciliation between the crown, the federal Crown, and Indigenous communities. We have prosecutors coming from southern communities, oftentimes being dispatched without appropriate, appropriate training on how to deal with a number of offenses that take place in communities and with no cultural appreciation of the contexts in which they operate, and that causes harm and trauma and retraumatization, and that is something that needs to be addressed, just as there's a need for more Indigenous people in legal professions generally, and that needs to be supported by the federal government.
Speaker 3: Thank you both Jonathan Pedno and Elizabeth May for the response on that question. And again just a reminder, we did say three minutes, but we'll sort of give you three minutes each if if required. These are very important matters and very important issues as we lead up to the election. So of course, the fifth theme for the session is children and Families. So the question is, and again I'll let it, I'll let the two of you decide who goes first. The question is what steps will you take to provide long term funding for Jordan's principle and a commitment to long term reform of the discriminatory First Nation's child welfare system. So I'll give it to you to see who goes first.
Speaker 6: You go JP.
Speaker 2: No, it's essential that we have stable permanent funding for Jordan's principle. For us, it's about honoring and implementing the Canadian Human Rights tribunal rulings, but it's also about reforming reforming the child welfare system with Indigenous nations. We need to fund first nations lead child and family services, and all of this is also integral with the questions of housing, of water, building, ensuring that there's an equitable per capital funding for education in health, which is not currently the case. Ultimately, it's bound For us, it's about justice and treaty rights. It's about binding human rights obligation. But it touches on more than the Jordan principle itself. It's a holistic need to make sure that there is appropriate support for health, for education, housing, mental health support, special needs support, that no child is denied care because of where they come from, or where they live, or who governs their community. And that requires, first of all, I mean it requires resources, of course, but it also requires listening to the voices of the community, empowering them and listening to them and doing so with humility and respect.
Speaker 6: It shouldn't have taken so many court cases and it shouldn't take so long to get action. And there are still there are more children in care now, there are still children in care who've been taken from their families. This has got to stop. So I think Jonathan's answer, and this is an issue of deep concern. Intergenerational trauma is not in the past tense. It's an ongoing issue of our settler culture, colonial approaches that are still harming families.
Speaker 3: Thank you both very much. And so at this point we've gone through the five questions that were pre sent to the party leaders. We'll be doing this for all four sessions, with the various parties giving them the questions in advance. So at this point we'd like to open it up if there are any questions, and reminder of participants. If you've registered again, this is for first nation leadership from across the country. If you have registered online and you're joining us here virtually. If you do have a question, we're not using the conventional chat box that we would often have on the side, but we do have a Q and A function at the bottom of the screen. Just click the button and then you can ask you a question. If you don't see it, you should be able to see it, but there might be another button that says more with the three dots. Click that and you should be able to access the Q and A function. So if you do have any questions, just pose those questions online. We'll go through those will take some time. At this point, I don't see one. I see one, but I don't see any in the Q and A box. But what we will do is if there are questions that come forward, we'll go through those questions and then I will allow an opportunity for closing comments, and then we will close the session with closing final comments from both co leaders of the Green Party. Here's a question. Question is if elected, will your government issue a public apology to those affected by discrimination in the child welfare system. I'll turn it over to Elizabeth May. Yes, very short answer, concise, Jonathan Pedno.
Speaker 2: Yes, and and and and beyond that, we need we need reparations as well. There are so many injustices and they've affected the lives of so many people, and apologies is one thing, but then there needs to be support and that we need to Unlike with the with the report and the number of pledges that have been taken by by other parties, we we we need to act enough and enough with the waiting.
Speaker 6: I just want to say I shout out to one of our colleagues in Parliament, Laurie Idluked, who's the only inner woman in Parliament's. She injects something so important in every conversation about the intergenerational trauma, that there's intergenerational love and we need to focus on support and love and caring and yes, of course reparations. But I find Lourie, Oh God. I hope Laurie gets re elected. Obviously, I hope I get reelected and John because it's an election. But there's many good people on all sides of the House and Indigenous voices like Leah Gazan from Winnipeg and Laurie Idlut from a Nunavut. We need more Indigenous voices as well. We have Indigenous candidates in the Green Party. Obviously I mentioned Rainbow eys we have. We need more Indigenous voices in our parliament.
Speaker 3: Thank you both for the response. So there is a question that actually has been touched on. You've provided a response to this, but I think it's a very important issue. So we will go back to it, and it's to follow up on your comments dealing with justice in policing. So again you've touched on this as well already, but I think it's very important, and the question is, if elected, how will your party support First Nations policing? Elizabeth May.
Speaker 6: One thing we have to do is tear down the RCMP and decide what it's good for and how we rebuild it. So indigenous, I mean, it's local policing in community. Indigenous communities are the focus today, but I'd have to say in a lot of settler culture communities too, the racism of the RCMP, their inability to de escalate a situation, all too quick to pull out a gun. Local policing needs better training in indigenous communities. We will do everything as request. I mean, we're in a nation to nation really ship, So even answering this question, I'm aware of Wait a minute, I'm not going to say what indigenous policing needs for support. That's for indigenous governments to inform settler culture governments. This is how this is going to work, this is what we need to do it, and then that determines what we will support.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Jonathan Pedno. I don't know if you have anything further or the next question.
Speaker 2: In general, I mean in any small community, it can be very difficult to police, right and I think for us as Greens, we would like to see less policing and more love and more support to prevent crime early on. And that means again housing, water, food opportunities, and reaffirmation of one's place in society's that's recognized and treasured by the overall society. And that's that is one way to reduce the level of crime, reduce the need for policing. Policing is a last resort and should be the last resort on anything, and that's true whether it's in indigenous communities or in downtown Montreal or other places. So ultimately, our goal is to create a society where we're where people are able to live good lives of meaning in connection with the people around them and nature. And right now we have the opposite. So we see policing as as as a tool. That's that does exist in the societies that we live in. And that's very again a very sort of you know, colonial mindset of having to come in with the stick and keep people within specific roles. But our societies are and our economies are not providing people with the basic needs, and so we need to deal with that first and foremost in terms of the policing. Elizabeth is very right, very much right. I think we need to we need to hear what nations need throughout the country, communities in the Arctic as well, what do they need and how can we best support it. But I'm pretty sure that before policing, the first questions will be about housing and food and security and that infrastructure, because those are the questions that politicians have been receiving for a long time. But sadly the federal government has not been nearly as responsive to those questions as it should have been.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Next question comes from Louise Natauapio from the Nscapi Nation, and Louise asks what steps would you take to include Indigenous history to all education systems across Canada so they can learn the real truth, the real truth, especially from an Indigenous perspective, so that the rest of Canada understands why our way of lives are detrimental. Indigenous communities have the highest suicide rates, high school dropout rates, addictions, et cetera. And how can you help these communities affected by these?
Speaker 2: Elizabeth, may we might have.
Speaker 6: An end to this because generally speaking, and I want to thank Louis and the very very excellent question of halfin escopy, we are in federal provincial terms under the Constitution. The usual answers hands off education and curriculum K to twelve is provincial jurisdiction exclusively, but relationship and First Nations, relationship and Indigenous justice issues fall under the federal government because it's the honor of the crown. There's treaties that were signed that are not being lived up to, obviously, So this gives us a reason to say to the provincial government, you have to indigenize decolonialize your curriculum to meet Section thirty five of the Constitution. You cannot fail in the education system, to fail to encourage and educate and share with settular culture kids and New Canadian kids. This is a country that is built on stolen land, a place called Turtle Island. If we teach the lessons that come from indigenous wisdom, we'll have a much healthier country. Have said for a long time, land back, ever since the Jocoteine decision and recognition how indigenous title is different from the simple title and the settler legal tradition. If all of our land was under the Supreme Court of Canada's definition of indigenous title, collective and intergenerational, we would be a much healthier, more secure society for all. So indigenizing and decolonializing our education system is a key to survival for all Canada, not only a step towards justice and reconciliation, and.
Speaker 2: If that me another lever the federal government possesses right now is using broadcasting laws to make sure that there is enough Indigenous content on national television. Not talking just APTN or specifically CBC North Or, but truly to have on mainstream quote unquote mainstream media more Indigenous content in Indigenous languages as well. I'm very concerned about the fact that the number of Indigenous languages are under threat right now. As a Quebecer and a Faco fund that speaks very strongly to me, But as a multi linguist, I'm also deeply ashamed of the fact that I do not speak an Indigenous language, but I do speak Norwegian or Spanish, and that is something that needs to be addressed. There is a wealth of culture and traditions that needs to be uplifted, and that sadly, as Elizabeth pointed out, is not being properly communicated in the curriculums at the provincial level, and that has to change. Discussions with the provinces are necessary, but at the federal level there are a number of things that can be done tomorrow, and one of them is requiring broadcasters here in Canada to Spanish specific amount of budget on Indigenous lad productions for the great public, with subtitles if needed. Right, But there's a lot for all of us settlers down south to learn about Indigenous cultures, and they are diverse, and they are ancient, and there's a wealth of knowledge there that and it's I find it it's just a shame how little we in the settler culture know, and I think the federal government has a role to play to help lift up those stories, those voices, that history and that knowledge.
Speaker 3: So the next question comes from a remote First Nation in northern Manitoba, and this is from Chief Michael Yellowback. He asks remote indigenous communities do not have any policing service where it makes it challenging to respond to any serious incidents that occur. We only have First Nation safety officers, but they don't have the adequate training and equipment. How will your party support indigenous communities to having their own indigenous police force. I'll let you decide who goes first, ton of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And once again, you know, and I hear the preoccupation around around crime and safety, and it goes beyond crime and safety. It goes as well, as I presume to questions tied to search and rescue, to question tied to the climate emergency, the wildfires. I mean, communities, especially remote communities throughout the country right now are faced with this challenge and there is a need for more people with public safety experience and baggage and the tools needed to protect communities. And that's something that we and we've been advocating for in this election, the creation of a National Civil Defense Core in coordination and discussion with indigenous communities throughout the country as well, because there is a knowledge of the territory that is valuable when it comes to defending communities from various types of threats. Undoubtedly, there is a need to train more people and to make that training more accessible and available. Again, I don't believe, and we don't believe in the Green Party that the policing is necessarily always the answer to some of the challenges that communities are faced with. We need more mental health support, more again housing, what like the when the basics aren't there, policing may not be the answer to keep things calm. We need to build the necessary basics. But again that depends on the needs the specific nations have and and you know, communities in uh mcmacky won't have the same demands as communities here in Montreal and Aga or Gnawage uh and it's it's there's a lot of I think, sadly oftentimes solutions that come from out of other very sort of one size fits all, and that's that's never been appropriate for Canada, and it certainly is inappropriate for the diversity of Indigenous communities and Inuit communities and indigenous off reserve as well that that that exists throughout the country.
Speaker 3: Thank you. So, Elizabeth May, if you're okay, if I can proceed to the next question. Okay, So this the next question a series of questions, so I'm going to try and put them together from Chief Ramona Horsemen and Chief Ramona Horseman is referring to a number of outstanding t l E claims. So t L claims of course tree Land entitlement claims, and the question is can you support those when they go to cabinet for approvals. She writes that there are a number of TL claims right from nineteen oh four ish, and she also writes that understanding the TL special claims go to the cabinet for final approval. So again question is can you support those when they go to cabinet for approvals?
Speaker 6: Elizabeth May absolutely, And it's a shocking thing that when you have these tattle entitlements that have been resolved and then they sit there and they sit there and it's shameful. And yes, of course we support it. One of the things you might think as well, Okay, you get some green MPs, you're not going to be in cabinet. We're really good at working the room and going and sitting down with whatever minister is playing a key role in the cabinet, So you can't to sit here. It's you know, we can mobilize, we can be part and we can work and I just want to fly this. We'll always work for you as chief and counsel anywhere across Canada. If you want to make sure that an urgent matter is delivered directly to whatever minister is holding things up. We may not have power, but where I'm an excellent messenger, I sit down with the ministration. You've got to read this because you've got to have a way to get through. There's so many gatekeepers and handlers and people in the way. So here's a cabinet decision. Why what's the excuse for these delays? There's no excuse. It's not as if this hasn't already been sitting through so many years of injustice, and there's and it's decided by the courts and it's still not implemented. So yes, yes, and yes, and thank you for Emona Horseman, Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Another question from Chief Ramona Horseman sort of two parts to this, but what she's referring to, she says, is the residential school graveyards. So she says the residential school graveyards. Question is what are your thoughts on quote dig now ask leader.
Speaker 6: My first thought is every party in this country and prime ministers and always said, oh yes, we support all the Truth and Reconciliation Commission reports and from the late our late hero Murray Sinclair in late Judge Murray Sinclair and one of those recommendations was very clear, I provide every family with the explanation of every single child who went into the schools and never came home. Provide that information. So we have two ways of approaching this. One is to physically dig or remains. And I mentioned earlier that I was so honored to know that Cook Piros and kasimirs on the line what they went through with using remote sensing and finding what you could be grave sites could be. Then it creates this horrific which we think should be absolutely unacceptable. It is unacceptable, but legislated is unacceptable sort of denialism around residential schools. But certainly the recommendation from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, the government institutions that ran those schools have an obligation to dig out the truth from their own files. Where do those children, children that enter the school, that ever went home, what happened to them, what their names, find their remains, return them to their families. So the question of the way it was phrased, and I don't disagree that that's sometimes how it's pressed forward. The separate culture governments, the colonial governments have not a leg to stand on on this they stole the children from their families. According to the TRC report, there were I'm just going for memory, so I've got the number wrong. Forgive me six thousand children that we know of for sure were taken from their parents and never got home. What happened? Where were they buried?
Speaker 2: Were?
Speaker 6: What happened?
Speaker 4: You have it?
Speaker 6: We have as a as a government, settler culture government, an absolute obligation. And every political leader has said, oh, yes, we accept the recommendations from the truths and recognized asciliation of the Commission. So we'll get on that when like a week from never So I'm I hear you, and I agree whether but I think digging may be more controversial than living. And I'm not saying I'm ducking up, but please to God, how do we ignore the recommendation from the TRC Commission and the calls for justice that every political leader of every striper said, oh, yes, well, well we'll do that. Like when the files are there somewhere, can dig them up. We can find the files and trace what happened to every child. And if it requires physical digging, so be it. We have to just as God bless from your wob canoe for doing it. When people said it was too controversial to go look in a landfill. Really, when women's bodies are being desecrated in that way, you think it's too controversial to go dig? So that both things dig in the files, dig where we have anomalies in the ground.
Speaker 1: Show has been reduced by Depictions Media. Please contact us at depictions dot media for more information.