Speaker 1: Hey, folks, no matter what you believe, religion is a billion dollar industry, and your donations are funding it, from megachurch pastors and private jets to televangelists begging for seed money. God never seems to have enough cash. And if your faith makes more than you know, just God's atm machine then and call in and tell us because the show is starting right now. Hello everybody, and welcome to the Atheist Experience. It's August second, twenty twenty six, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: I'm objectively Dan.
Speaker 1: I don't usually host this program, and I don't usually host it with wonderful Seth Andrews, who's joining me today. Seth, welcome as well too, to see you experience.
Speaker 2: Good to see you again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's good to be here, and I'm glad you started with a compelling conversation.
Speaker 2: About about how you know, dollar signs.
Speaker 3: Seemed to be in so many eyes within especially the high your tier.
Speaker 2: You know, you and I both know that when.
Speaker 3: There is a myth that oh, pastors just preach because they're trying to grift people, and that tells me you don't know anything about every day Right Sunday go to meet and pastors absolutely. The fair thing is to say that they are on call twenty four to seven. Most of them make a meager living. They do what they do because they genuinely believe. Some have to have second jobs to cover their bills.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: So there's this myth that everybody's Joel Ostein and Kreflo Dollar and all the megachurches. But the fact is is that a great many pastors do what they do at great personal sacrifice because they genuinely believe. That's not who we're talking about when we talk about the grifters and the people who are you know, passing the plate because God wants them to have a brand new Gulf Stream Jet.
Speaker 1: Yes, what you and I said, You know, we both came from a Christian backround. We both know people who are in it because they one hundred percent believe it. They're doing what they think is right, and part of running at church means paying for stuff, and they need money, and that's that's the model that they choose. Whether or not that's a good thing or not, that's up to the individual.
Speaker 2: I you know, we all have our own reservations about it. For one thing.
Speaker 1: You know, Hey, anything they take in they don't have to report, right, So you better hope you trust the person that you're giving money to because they don't have any obligation to tell you what they're doing with that whatsoever. And it happens all the time. These small time churches even, right, will come up and say, hey, we're actually funding I don't know, somebody's political campaign or something, right, and and breaking stuff with that. So there's concerns to be had here. But I would never say that anybody that's a believer or anybody that's a pastor is absolutely only doing it for the money.
Speaker 2: Right, That's that's ridiculous, right.
Speaker 1: But on the flip side, you have to understand that people actually do do it for the money.
Speaker 2: And I think a lot of people like don't want.
Speaker 1: To believe that because there is this idea that while you are in the faith, because you really believe it, and that's just not true. I mean that's just been shown time and time again by some of these people, right, And if you don't recognize that, you are ignoring again a billion dollar industry.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: People do make money off this and will keep making money off of this probably forever.
Speaker 2: So you know, I'm not going alad you brought up that.
Speaker 3: For many attack shelter and the opacity of many religious organizations. Who are I mean if you holded the Johnson Amendment, and this administration certainly doesn't are you know, we are not supposed to see the bleeding of politics and religion. But with parsonage exemptions, it is remarkable what you can write off or hide or excuse as a ministry expense, a second home, that's a parsonage exemption, BMW vertible, a boat, a vacation parsonage exemption. And the irs looks the other way because if they go hard and say no, no, no, you have to abide by all of the requisites of the other five oh one c threes, then they can be accused of being an enemy of religious liberty and attacking Christianity and what is supposed to be a Christian nation. But you know, I am I am shocked by how the God who owns the cattle on a thousand hills, according to the Bible, God owns everything, He owns the land and everything that is upon it, and yet somehow he's always in need. Yeah, he doesn't just make manner from heaven fall in the form of dollar signs. He doesn't just miracle into somebody's bank account.
Speaker 2: He makes his.
Speaker 3: Proxy servants, shepherds, beg or coin.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and it's a.
Speaker 3: Win win because hey, if you give me ten or more percent of everything you make, God will bless you. And that blessing could take any form and it might not even happen until after you're dead.
Speaker 2: That's a brilliant business model. Yeah, true, true, very true.
Speaker 1: I have a specific story I want to talk to you that blew my mind the first time I actually heard it, which wasn't until I was an adult and like really studying the Bible. But before I get to that really quickly, I need to remind folks, in case you're running, what the hell you're watching. This is the Atheist Experience, which is a product of the Atheist Community of Austin, a five o'h one c three nonprofit organization that's dedicated to the promotion of atheism, critical thinking, secular humanism, and the separation of religion and government. And that means you can give us tax free donations as many as you want in fact, and know.
Speaker 2: That it's not only for a good cause, but also it helps you too.
Speaker 3: But as you bread upon the water and then Shelby returned unto you, pressed down, shacking together and running over right.
Speaker 2: Exactly good stuff with that.
Speaker 1: But just to our mind, folks, we are try streaming today, so big shout out to our viewers on TikTok and on YouTube mobile. If you are watching us on TikTok and you'd like to talk to us, then you can request to join and we'll bring you up on stage. Just please make sure you are over the age of eighteen before doing so. But we have open lines right now, so we're ready to talk to you guys about you know what you want to call it that It doesn't have to be about how God wants all your money, but that is what at least we are starting to talk about here. The verse I wanted to talk to you about, Seth was about Antonius and Sophira. You know about this. This is in the Book of X. These names bring a beal for you. You see a little head nod there. I didn't know about this story. I didn't really read the Book of X when I was younger. I guess I don't know. It's kind of there and there's some weird stories in there. I wish I've read into it more. But I remember first very distinctly. Maybe it wasn't my first time reading it, but the first time I remember reading it when I was in college ministry. The story is very interesting. This is in the Book of x If you're not familiar with the Bible lore. Okay, that's after Jesus died.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And so the apostles are and they're doing stuff, okay, And these are like kind of some of their stories. So there is these folks named Anonius and Sophira who get killed, right, who are killed by the Holy Spirit basically because they didn't give money to the church.
Speaker 2: They withheld some stuff. Here's the averse here.
Speaker 1: This is from Acts five, okay, Versus one through five. Here, now a man named an Anonius, together with his wife Sephira, also sold the piece of property with his wife's full knowledge. He kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles feet. Then Peter said, Antonius, how is it that Satan has filled your heart? That you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you ever see for the land. When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died, and then Sophia came in and she fell down at his feet and died. So the implication being that they have held some money. I don't know what disagreement was. Maybe they should have given it and they didn't. That's what the story makes it sound like. But straight up they get capped, seth, They just die right there.
Speaker 2: What the heck?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, the Bible has a very multiple personalities on the issue of multiple personalities on the issue of money. So you know, the prosperity preachers say that God wants.
Speaker 2: You prosperous, and one.
Speaker 3: Of the ways to become prosperous is to continue to give to the church monetarily. Why would it benefit you to have money on this earth? You will be rewarded, if not monetarily, but also spiritually crowns and you know, the jewels in your crown and heaven, a bigger mansion, etc. And then there are others who say, no, no, it is a monetary thing. So if you give thousands of dollars, eventually you will become a millionaire. But you know, the Bible says the love of money is the root of all evil, and it is harder for a rich man it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than the rich man to enter the king heaven. By the way, I believe that reference is traditionally meant that the eye of a needle was an entrance into the city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an interpretation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, A lot of people are like, well, it's impossible for a camel to go through it, And I understand. I love that saying it was impossible for a rich person, but the context of that is important.
Speaker 1: I so that's a funny one set because I don't know what's true on that or not. From what I understand, that's one interpretation of it that there is there there is this gate thing. I'd like to think that God was one hundred percent serious and was like, no, you.
Speaker 2: Rich people cannot go.
Speaker 1: And then they like when rich don't became a thing, it's.
Speaker 2: Like, well, you know, you can go. It's just it's really hard though you ever go back.
Speaker 3: I'm a sadist, Actually no, I wouldn't. I'm if I would be a sadist if I played it on the air. I'm a masochist because I do it to myself.
Speaker 2: So true.
Speaker 3: Yes, I being a child of the eighties, lived through the Gym and Tammy fay Baker thing with Heritage USA. The televangelist Robert Tilton. Robert Tilton. If you have not seen the YouTube clips of Robert Tilton, the Dallas ted televangelist, he would he would make all these wild promises and then he would beg people to send them money sometimes I think it was for holy water prayer clause, and people would send in obscene amounts of money and made him wealthy. And an investigative team from a news organization went around his ministry and they found a dumpster behind the building and it was full of all of the crap that he said he was going to be like sending out to people. It was just a total scam.
Speaker 2: But he's yeah, okay, yeah, I do know about this.
Speaker 3: And when he would speak, he would be like, yes, yes, you know, and he would have and he hold these expressions. Well, somebody who shares, apparently my base sense of humor went back through dozens of hours of sermons and with every pause they just inserted flatulence noises.
Speaker 2: And so if you go to.
Speaker 3: YouTube and you type in Robert Tilton flatulence video, you will be amused on the order of hours. And because I'm apparently eleven years old, wildly.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a classic edit.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a mid two thousand YouTube like clip edit.
Speaker 2: Classic. Maybe it's not. Maybe it's Jan Crouch at TBN.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're out there with the silver hair and they're they're on this unbelievably gold gilded, gaudy television studio and they're they're talking. They just sit around and ask people to send them money. And then you find out that Jan Crouch out one hundred thousand dollars coach RV just yeah, her two dogs.
Speaker 2: And you know, we do have that today.
Speaker 1: It's called streaming, right, And you know you don't have to be The great thing is you don't have to be a silver haired white guy to do it anymore. You can come from any background as long as you have an iPhone with an Internet connection, then also do that. And I joke, but like obviously like streamers deliver I think a different kind of I'm ice dream, right, So it's like it's a different kind of content that's being delivered. It's not just a promise of like being healed or whatever. Right, But there are ones that do that too. I mean they also exist. So I'm just saying being scammed is more accessible than ever.
Speaker 3: Right, So, you know, the beauty of the Internet is that everyone has a voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, problem with the Internet is that everybody has a voice. Voice.
Speaker 3: So being you buy into the prosperity thing when you're a believer, like if you bless the kingdom, you will be blessed tenfold, pressed down, shaken together, running over all that stuff. Did you buy into that? No?
Speaker 2: Never, my thankfully my parents. I never.
Speaker 1: I grew up first twelve years of my life in a Methodist church, and you know, conservative Methodist, but still Methodist, right, So it's like I I was the probably the anathema to my Baptist neighbors in Waco, Texas, but still enough to the point where it was like, honestly, my upbringing probably even though it was fairly conservative, probably more liberal than yours.
Speaker 2: And a lot of other people in our space.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people get into our space because obviously they grew up in extremely problematic beliefs and backgrounds. I was kind of just seeing that sort of around me, but not as much in my church itself, right, I mean, you know, growing up in Waco, you know there's a little bit of history there, so you know, it was definitely out there. But yeah, thankfully I was never too much in the prosperity stuff.
Speaker 2: How about you, were you to your family? You know, we didn't focus a lot on money.
Speaker 3: There was I think an ad We came from a family of Jesus as a republican, free market capitalist.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that was my take. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, God, God wants small government and he wants corporations to be able to do whatever they want because of rugged American individualism hashta right, right, and if.
Speaker 2: You can go out, that's the American dream, right.
Speaker 3: The American dream was not necessarily to go out and find who you were and what you wanted to be and have a life filled with love and purpose and satisfaction and fulfillment.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The people that who they we always spoke about to achieve the American dream were the people who were making at least seven, if not eight figures, yeah, or you know, sort of famous household names, which tells you how embedded some of this is into the culture. Yeah, but we were also warned, you know, don't love money. Don't love money. Money is good. Money is a resource. Money can help but don't become infatuated. And you know, I have no problem with somebody who wants to be prosperous, somebody who works hard, takes risks, gets lucky.
Speaker 2: I mean whatever. I don't have that kind of jealousy.
Speaker 3: Now when we get into wealth hoarding in a world with this much suffering, and so when you see the Jolo Steins, right, yeah, mega pastor he is home is a ten million dollar mansion. It's probably worth more in the day's economy, it's probably double that fifty to seventy million dollar net worth. The guy lives like a freaking rock star in a place with a wor with this much suffering hell in his own state. You think of all of the problems that could be alleviated, all the hungry mouths, all the houses that you could build. And I take that beyond the mega pastors. I am writing a piece now about the oligarchs, you know, the the billionaires that we have that so many people admire.
Speaker 2: Ah billionaires, that's the dream.
Speaker 3: And I think, okay, well, for a five hundred million dollar yacht that's being sailed around by a particular oligarch in question, Yeah, who ons Amazon? I'm like Okay, well, let's do the math. How many houses could that build, how many shelters, how many meals would that how much cancer research could we fund?
Speaker 2: How much suffering could we alleviate? Yeah, and you.
Speaker 3: Know, that's that's a problem, and it's a serious problem in the prosperity gospel model, especially in the larger mega churches within the Christian faith. It's really problematic. Yeah, I agree, I agree. I like to think that my generation.
Speaker 1: Doesn't give as much to the prosperity thing because we don't have as much to give, right, But you know, economic circumstances, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I think the thirty five and unders are really disenfranchised.
Speaker 2: They're disconnected.
Speaker 3: I don't think organized religion really appeals as much to you. I mean, when I say your generation, I feel like Methuselah.
Speaker 1: I'm like bank when I was Yeah. Yeah, no, it's true. There's a lot of reasons. Internet's a big one.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We were definitely one of the most disconnected generations ever. I think I think people that do have local communities probably do it. You go to church a lot of times because you have to, because it's your only social network in your area. So a lot of people that like were atheists on the lowdown, like myself for a while, still went to church because that was your friend group and that's what you kind of have to do.
Speaker 2: And when in the Internet you don't have to do that.
Speaker 1: You can find people on a discord somewhere that likes the same I don't know, dungeons and dragons thing that you're into or whatever. Right, So it's so there's there's there's more options, but also you know, obviously less options for physical spaces as well.
Speaker 2: It's a big conundrum. But we can rant and rave about.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'd love to go on an anti capitalist sort of Marxist like analysis with you, Seth. But you know, this is the atheist experience, and this is a call in show, and we have folks that do want to talk to us. You want to talk to some people.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm in. Just tell me what to do and well let's do it. I'll bring them in. Right now.
Speaker 1: We have someone who claims to be the perhaps infamous Darth Dawkins who wants to talk to us. Darth Dawkins, you are live on Atheists Experience.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Your name is certainly known in spaces and not always well respected, at least from the space as I come from.
Speaker 2: That's for sure.
Speaker 6: Okay, constitute Well, well, wait a minute, I don't know if it's on our end or what, but we you are super muffled right now.
Speaker 1: If there's any way you could help us with that, that'd be great. And I know the crew is looking on our side.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm in an outdoor.
Speaker 2: Okay, instantly, better, thank you? Go ahead?
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, So your atheism constitutes the denial of God's existence or a mere lack of belief.
Speaker 3: I am an atheist. I do not believe. Now, there are specific gods that I know do not and cannot exist. Christian God's the easy one, right, we can reverse engineer that and know.
Speaker 2: But is there a God out there somewhere? I don't believe it. I do know that.
Speaker 3: There is not an omni God, an omni benevolent God, an involved personal God.
Speaker 2: I know that doesn't exist.
Speaker 4: Could he anything about God? If God doesn't reveal himselves.
Speaker 3: If a God exists but chooses not to reveal himself, why do I care? God obviously doesn't care enough to reveal himself.
Speaker 5: Well, that's we know.
Speaker 2: That's not any benevolence.
Speaker 1: I'm confuse with the premise was saying revealing themselves to us personally, because.
Speaker 2: Like I guess you could know.
Speaker 1: But God, if they reveal themselves to somebody else, that somebody else talks about that experience somewhere, right, So that's that's one kind of No, we.
Speaker 2: Lose a connection here? Can you hear us?
Speaker 7: Hello?
Speaker 3: Hello?
Speaker 2: Well maybe we're having some connection.
Speaker 1: We'll put we'll put you back in our call Q while we get that figured out because we can hear you.
Speaker 2: But I guess I wasn't sure.
Speaker 3: I mean, do you know what? God does not exist? I was the vibe I was hearing.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Or do you simply not believe? And that's a reductive question. You got to talk about what do you mean by God like a deistic watchmaker?
Speaker 2: First?
Speaker 3: Cause deity does it? Is it omnipotent that that have limited powers? Is it eternal? Is it temporary? Uh? Or is it a specific god from a certain religion, a god with a proper name, you know? And of course the Internet and these types of conversations often you know, don't love nuance, but nuance is what is required. But if is there a deity out there somewhere. I'm just going to say I don't buy it. I am an atheist. I do not believe that's.
Speaker 1: A fair way to put it. I would do a similar sort of answer. I think if I were asked to me, he asked you, Spacidomy Seth, because you know you're the man.
Speaker 2: He wants to know it for you. He don't care about me.
Speaker 1: But if I were to answer an he were to ask me, I would say something, yeah, like I don't believe in it God from what I understand God to be, if there is a God. I like to use the term igtheist because there are some people that will say, well, God is just nature. Okay, Well, if God's nature, I believe nature is a thing. So I guess that means I believe in God. But that's not what many people say when they talk about God. God is whatever it means to that individual at any given time in culture, right, So it depends it depends on the God. But most God claims no, I don't. I don't find them to be valid or local or real in any meaningful sense.
Speaker 3: Did you notice Darthur used the masculine pronouns so obvious. True Party apparently assume that God is a hymn, So that's true. That's one of those things where I'm like, well, okay, well, how is that known?
Speaker 2: How do you know that God.
Speaker 3: Is not an it or a genderless thing or another creature or you know, how do you know it's not some sort of a centaur, you know, with god like powers.
Speaker 2: So I think there's a legitimate case you can make.
Speaker 1: Other the like serious theologians, as serious as theology can be, have made the case that God is not a masculine being. You know, that he is what some might call non binary, right, which is which is an interesting thing to think about. And of course you know, someone like me would use it to piss somebody off, but you know, like I would, You know I would, I would say, yeah, I don't know, what does that even mean to have a gender construct for a God that supposedly doesn't you don't have a gender identity.
Speaker 2: I've got to jump in. I know you're going to have a call, but I I just got to tell you this.
Speaker 3: So, okay, recently about white Jesus and how cultures throughout the last two thousand years there Christ has largely looked like them.
Speaker 2: So we talked about how Jesus. I mean, the Jesus that we see in white.
Speaker 3: Bread, corn fed Protestant Heartland America is not a brown skinned Middle Eastern dude. It's largely a blue eyed, kind of a sandy blonde haired white guy.
Speaker 2: Well, what's that about? True? And so we talked about how during the time of the.
Speaker 3: Caesars, Jesus was represented as kind of this pure face, looking like the Caesars, and when the Caesars became more bearded, we saw that reflected. There's an Asian Jesus, there's a Native American Jesus, there's a Muslim Jesus.
Speaker 2: There's an African American Jesus.
Speaker 3: And so I was saying, all right, fine, so let's take one of the portraits of an African American Jesus, black skin, and he's got the crown of thorns, and he's hanging on the cross, or he's giving the sermon on the mount or and there's a ton of art that we see hanging in African American churches and homes and beyond, what about is make that? And I walk into the first Baptist church or whatever in my hometown of Tulsa, Oklahoma, how quickly would I get my ass kicked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because.
Speaker 3: Humans have made gods in their own image. The ones that validate us, the ones that validate what our biases and opinions, are the ones that look and sound and feel like what we think they should look and sound and feel in so many cases, and I find that interesting. Now A lot of people try to escape by that by saying, well, my God's a personal god, so he appears to me in a way that I can relate to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I think that's a surface excuse.
Speaker 3: I think when it comes down to it, if it's the same, it's the same thing when Megan Kelly says Santa Claus is just white because someone had a black Santa Claus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no, what is it?
Speaker 2: Non white Santa? Yeah? From you?
Speaker 3: How does that cheat your Santa experience?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's a movie and I remember this. This is one of the last Christian movies I watch when I was a Christian. I don't know if you remember this. It's called The Shack. I think it's what it's called.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Remember, I got in trouble because they depicted God in three persons, and they Jesus was a Middle Eastern guy, God was a black woman and the Holy Spirit was an Asian woman, and people.
Speaker 2: Really did not like those appearances.
Speaker 1: I guess which like, first of all, interesting choices, but second of all, also who cares? Like I don't know, like why does it matter if very strange, very strange, like.
Speaker 3: Elon must say, I must make an AI Odyssey film that is historically Yeah.
Speaker 2: That man, Wait a minute, I'm sorry. A thing that was who was born of an egg? Was it?
Speaker 3: A thing that was born out of an egg? And this is cyclops? I mean, he's going to make a film that is so white you can see it from space.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm You're not wrong, dude.
Speaker 1: Man for a guy, you think billionaires will be too busy, But I guess he's got enough time to run a dunk In companies and make a movie full of white people at the same time.
Speaker 2: I don't know who who knows?
Speaker 1: Anyway, Okay, I think we fixed our issues with Darth Dawkins. Actually so, I think we want to try to bring it back on. Let's see if we can do that, right now, Darth Dawkins, Yeah, I can here you Okay, great, thanks so much. You're back on XP.
Speaker 4: I heard I heard the beat twice. You guys muted me twice.
Speaker 2: Okay, I definitely did not mute you. But but okay.
Speaker 5: And explain to me.
Speaker 4: Explain to me why I heard the beat twice disconnecting my micro.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, you seem to be having issues. Why are you accusing me right off the bat? I definitely didn't using you.
Speaker 4: All I know is I heard the beat twice where you shut my microphone off.
Speaker 3: These these beams sound quite traumatic for you.
Speaker 1: I I would like, I'm gonna say here, I am going to mute you right now. Okay, here's what it sounds like.
Speaker 2: I mute you.
Speaker 1: So I'm muting you right now because one, you're coming into.
Speaker 2: This way too hot.
Speaker 1: Let's slow your role for a second and let's try to have a common versation. I do not want to start off with this energy. Okay, So you're argued. Now, now I'm going to unmute you. You can tell me if it sounds the same or not. But I didn't mute you before, regardless, So there you go.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well somebody did, Okay.
Speaker 2: So I know nobody did.
Speaker 1: Actually, I think maybe you're having issues with your phone because you had some.
Speaker 2: Issues because I heard, I heard your beat book going. Do you want to argue about this?
Speaker 4: Or do you want to talk to an argument?
Speaker 2: Why would we want to do it? I want to challenge at the beginning, we didn't even get anywhere yet where we mute you?
Speaker 3: Because what's on your mind? What's your commenter question?
Speaker 5: I would like to challenge.
Speaker 4: Would you're going to see a set position about the partial or denial of God's existence and you say.
Speaker 7: You know that there's no benevolent God?
Speaker 4: How would you know what a benevolent God would or would not allow within.
Speaker 7: His point to span out the ademptive history?
Speaker 5: How would you know that?
Speaker 3: How would I not know involvement or lack of harm or help? How would I not know the difference between absence in a world of suffering and an intervention?
Speaker 2: I don't understand that.
Speaker 5: Now I'll repeat the question.
Speaker 4: How would you know what a benevolent God would or would not allow in.
Speaker 7: The short span of redemptive history?
Speaker 5: How would you know that?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I think that's a convenient sort of a What you're saying is I the insect could not possibly understand the grand scale design by a godlike intelligence, which may in fact be benevolent in the macro. But because I only see right in front of my face and can't see the big picture, who am I to say benevolence is not happening?
Speaker 2: Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 5: No, that's not an answer to my question.
Speaker 2: I'm asking you how you could I'm trying to what your question is.
Speaker 5: It's a very simple question.
Speaker 4: How would you possibly know what a maximue benevolent God would do or not do within.
Speaker 7: A short span of redemptive history.
Speaker 5: How would you know that?
Speaker 3: I think it's I don't. I don't think this is a tough one. I think to look around and see twenty five thousand people starving to death a day in the eyes of a deity and there's no divine intervention, I could say that is the antithesis of benevolence. When I see a child rate like that is the antithesis of benevolence. I look at I look at natural disasters, I look at crap design all around this, the things that are now formed, and I think, no, no, no, at benevolence would mean that answer, God would use god like powers to intervene and decrease suffering and increase flourishing. And the absence of that tells me that if there is a deity.
Speaker 2: It is not.
Speaker 5: That's not an answer to the question I ask it is.
Speaker 4: You know, it's very gooding me is well, well let me let me let me give a shirt rebuttal okay, so they're just talking over me. Now, I understand that you What you did was you reiterated that a benevolent god I wouldn't allow the death and suffering to the extent that that we see it. All you did was reiterate the same part again.
Speaker 5: I'm going to.
Speaker 3: Stop you because I understand the question you're saying, what is my barometer?
Speaker 2: How would I measure benevolence?
Speaker 5: Can I finish with that? Being interrupted?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean that's really me slow your role a little bit, you know. I really think from maybe a vicodin and some Yanni music might benefit you. Yeah, to finish this call talk over me, but to understand the concept of help and harm.
Speaker 1: As all right, Garth, I have been a mutue. Now so that Seth can finish what he's saying. Okay, please Seth go ahead.
Speaker 3: Well, there's there are a number of things at angles that he may be going at but I think he's trying to obfuscate what is really an easy uh or an easy concept to understand. How do evolve human beings operating in a godfree context no benevolence, or how can we know that benevolence was not eventually going to be a materialized or manifest or revealed in some way Because our perspective is so.
Speaker 2: Small, How would I know that or how would I measure that? Yes, but I think that's what he's saying too. You were trying to clarify that. He didn't offer clarification, But I think that's what he's saying.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yeah, he literally popped an O ring, And you know, I find that it's not a good faith approach to the conversation. I don't think I'm being unfair when I say, to understand what suffering is, understand what flourishing is, and then to expect an omni good, a benevolent deity to be alleviating alleviating suffering and increasing flourishing, and the absence of that tells me there is no benevolent God. I don't think that's an unreasonable position, and I don't think my barometer is invalid simply because I can't see all of the universe throughout space time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even if okay, maybe there's some big macro plan that doesn't stop you from seeing stuff on the micro like you said, like you're already seeing it, And I would argue that's still bad. Like just because maybe there's some bigger plan or whatever that means, that doesn't mean that things happening on the small scale aren't bad.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's it's it's a weird Sorry.
Speaker 3: Tell me what benevolence would in any context require a school shooting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I would love to know that too. I would love to know. But anyway, I'm going to unmute Darth now, so maybe we can, maybe we can this conversation.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're unmuted dark On't again. You're using your abusive tactics of beuting me. Did not answer my question. I'd like to look about being interrupted.
Speaker 2: It's not abusive.
Speaker 1: It's trying to have a conversation. Man, we were not conversating.
Speaker 2: If everybody's talking mutating, So I have to have a hierarchy, an order of things.
Speaker 4: Surely you can undertuly understand that. But you muted me abusively again, Now, did not answer, it's.
Speaker 2: Really not abusively.
Speaker 5: But okay, go ahead, can you stop interrupting it?
Speaker 2: Over?
Speaker 1: No, I will.
Speaker 2: I will interrupt you as much as I want. I'm the host of the show. What I'm like, you don't know my benevolence.
Speaker 1: You're looking at things on the smaller scale right now, Darth Tawkins.
Speaker 2: But really I'm trying to do on a bigger level of the guy.
Speaker 3: Dan's streaming, his weaving a vowsand continents in a specific way are actually beyond our ability to see in the short term, and we need to know or believe, except in the larger scale, that this is true omni benevolence, and we should a bind that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go ahead, Darth So, Hello you there all almost second.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, what you guys are doing is you're being abusive and you're not letting me ask a question in.
Speaker 5: The form of a rebuttal.
Speaker 4: Now, seth So simply reiterated his plan of the incompatibility with a maximumly benevolent god with death and suffering. He just simply reiterated he didn't tell me how he could know that it would be incompatible with a maximuly benevolent god who would have a plan of redemptive history where he temporarily allows death and suffering in order to fill a plan of redemptive history.
Speaker 8: So you didn't tell me no if I made Dan hang on, go ahead, Darth Leek, tell me how a school shooting and murdered children fits into God's redemptive plan.
Speaker 5: To my questions, Seth, are you going to answer?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, I want to know how does the school shooting, how does the rape of the child, How does people drowning in a single day from a tsunami fit into a benevolent redemptive plan?
Speaker 5: My question?
Speaker 2: You're dodging my question.
Speaker 3: No, I'm actually I'm asking you to tell me.
Speaker 2: Dodging my question.
Speaker 3: You are how many how many dead children does it take before we can say it's not benevolence?
Speaker 2: Is no?
Speaker 1: So you apparently are so vend up with the fact that you didn't get to answer your His answer in the form of rebuttal, he's answering you are question in the form of a question, which is exactly what you did. So I don't know why you have an issue.
Speaker 4: Question so that you guys are dodging my question to Seth, how could you know what plan a benevolent God would temporarily allow How could you know that?
Speaker 3: Well, you like to use the word maximally, and you skipped it this time. But I'll say it doesn't even have to be mad. I'll say marginally. I'll see, even vaguely, we know that an even vaguely benevolent god cannot exist with this much suffering in the world.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make sense, Doroth, how do we know the difference if there is a god, if you plan for maximal suffer question.
Speaker 4: I'm going to reiterate again. You did not answer the question. You just simply reiterated the compatibility with the suffering. Well, why don't you be fair to me? Okay, so I'm not being abusive here or behaving badly. I'm pointing out that that's questionable.
Speaker 2: The excitation needed now.
Speaker 7: But want you, I want you to explain to me, Seth.
Speaker 4: How you could know what a benevolent god's plan would be.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're going to ask me the same question. Yeah, we don't. So that you don't, I have to say the same thing. And I am not to.
Speaker 3: Sit in this swirling eddy with you, and essentially, would you mute him for me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, I'm happy to do that for you.
Speaker 1: Let me hang on, let me use my abuse of muting powers to mute him real quick.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, he's going to ask me the same question over and over, and it's I think it may be either a riff on how.
Speaker 2: Can you know that? It's more what's moral or immoral?
Speaker 3: I don't think he's taking the objective moral standard angle. I think he's taking more of a macro big picture the mind of God. Who hath known the mind of God? Mysterious ways? I am just an insect. How could I possibly even do there? Maybe I don't have the authority to do that, but it doesn't make any difference whatever the context is that he is using to challenge me. I think what this does is it is supposed to strip me of the very valid right to be able to say no. I understand what suffering is. I understand what waste is. I understand what's an efficiency at the very least is And a deity who gave a shit would not operate in a way where, according to the Book of Isaiah, he would It would create evil so that he could contrast his good. A benevolent deity would not have a model that included masked drownings and school shootings and sexual assault and murder and suffering and starvation and all these types of things.
Speaker 2: And so the idea that, well, how could you possibly know?
Speaker 3: With all You can act as indignant as you want, but it's not going to impress me. I spent thirty years in the faith, man, I've been there, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I would say to this too, like he's asked about, how do you know the same way I know about anything else in my life, whether it's good or bad? Is it promoting flourishing or is it promoting suffering?
Speaker 2: And I wouldn't even say. I wouldn't even stop at humans.
Speaker 1: Any conscious being that has a capacity to suffering or for suffering, right, is probably not a good thing. And a god that is doing that, it doesn't need me to conclude that what it is is good. If anything, I don't know the difference between a god that's causing maximal good or maximal suffering. How do we know in this universe based on this this weird metric of oh, we don't know the plan, Well, it could go either way if we don't know the plan. So Darth isn't really giving me a way out of this by just saying, oh, well, if it's a guy who's you know, got a bigger picture here, that doesn't that doesn't give me any more confidence of knowing whether something is good or bad.
Speaker 2: Anyway, all right, let's try this one more time. You must seek darth. I'm meeting you now, so go ahead.
Speaker 4: Okay, so once again you Seth did not answer the question. What he did do was read, can I finish what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna sit behind go, go go.
Speaker 4: I'm going to confront you, and let's see if you're open to your position being protested. You did not answer my question.
Speaker 3: You Hello, hello, spin rapture here he was the only one where.
Speaker 2: We cut out.
Speaker 1: You see your phones having issues. Man, I'm not even muting you for some of this.
Speaker 2: You're just not accusing you of muting me.
Speaker 4: Right now, my screen change. Okay, now listen carefully. Beth did not answer the specific question. What he did do for the third time was to reiterate the incompatibility with a maximly bean out of God, maximally benevolent God.
Speaker 7: With the amount of suffering that we see.
Speaker 4: He did not explain to me epistemologically how he could know that a maximly benevolent God could not or would not ever implement a plan of creation and redemptive history where he permits the amount of suffering.
Speaker 1: I mean he did, and he said, Okay, it doesn't make sense. He said, why it doesn't make sense? Why does schools shudn't happen? He's asking?
Speaker 4: He answered, this for you doesn't make sense. Now here's the problem with that response. When you say a proposition.
Speaker 5: Doesn't make sense, it means that you have to have a.
Speaker 4: Standard by which you refer to something that is in coherent by So how could you know that a god wouldn't do that other than your your speculations? How would you know that other than repeating the same plan of the incompatibility with suffering and God's plan of creation.
Speaker 1: I can speak if you want, but I think you gave a standard. It was school shootings. School shootings was the standard.
Speaker 5: And they question, So that's not an answer to the question.
Speaker 3: How is it not you asked for a standard he gave you once you know what's funny is I think Dan or or I don't know. Maybe you we could implement a plan that involved the creation of Cynthian beings and we could bring the question, we could put together a model where there wasn't murder and rape and suffering and your abuse and starvation and drownings.
Speaker 5: And that you're dodging my question.
Speaker 2: Look, I don't know why you're so agitated.
Speaker 3: I mean, I may maybe this is how you burn calories on a Sunday afternoon. But I would encourage you to just take a breath and enhance your calm and man.
Speaker 4: Mocking me is not going to obscure the fact that you didn't tell me how you know that the amount of suffering would be incompatible with a maximuly blog benevolent.
Speaker 2: Look, I realize it.
Speaker 3: You've carefully man and cured a question to make it sound deeper than it is.
Speaker 5: Question.
Speaker 4: It's a reasonable question.
Speaker 1: Let me know, would you like us to drop this call because I'm having to do that, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, are we going to go anywhere productive? I don't know. Might only answer the question.
Speaker 3: I can only address needless suffering so many different ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And to speak to the fact that we.
Speaker 3: As human beings are not out of our depth to say we understand what harm is, We understand the concept of harm, and we know that plans can be implemented where harm is not required, and a deity that says, oh, you know what, I'm going to have school shootings as part of a larger macro plan for omni benevolence. I can say that's ridiculous, really offensive, And you don't get the point the finger at me and say that I'm dodging your question. Right, you're defending the god of school shootings and you're pointing your finger at me. That's not going to work for you on this show.
Speaker 5: No, No, you did dodge the question.
Speaker 7: You have dodged the question.
Speaker 2: You aren't defending the god or brave. Can you stop defend the god.
Speaker 3: Or brape garth? Just take your time and defend it, you know what?
Speaker 4: You know what, So you guys are going to resort to being a You're going to drop again.
Speaker 2: It's a baby, all right? How many abused?
Speaker 5: Look?
Speaker 2: What is that line? Who said? Was it thorough? Who said? Uh, maybe it was Emerson.
Speaker 5: You're afraid of Ralph?
Speaker 2: You can just drop him? Yeah, okay, let's yeah, I think it was Ralph Waldo.
Speaker 3: Emerson said, let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am being persecuted whenever I am merely being contradicted, and that's what Dark was doing. We're like, no, I don't buy that. No, this is crap, No, this makes no sense. No, we disagree, and he's like, you abusive fasts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how dare you have mute me on a callin show?
Speaker 3: Oh you porn tissue skinned victim.
Speaker 2: My deepest topologies skipped over the school shootings. But we gotta listen.
Speaker 1: When you mute somebody on a Collin show, you got to call it out right.
Speaker 3: You know what, if you'll pray for God to heal the wounds that we have inflicted upon you with our vowels and consonants, perhaps you will find respite from the pain Dark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, the problem is you answered his question. You just gave an answer he didn't like. You know, That's all it was. At the end of the day, he just gave an answer he didn't like. It didn't fall into his format. And guys like Darth are all about, well, you got to fit the script. You gotta fit the format, otherwise you're.
Speaker 3: Invalid, stuck the deck against himself. By saying maximally I mean, he's saying maximally benevolent I thought, yeah, now you've really yeah, now you really stacked the deck against yourself. It's not like, oh, I'm benevolent, but you know, I'm moderately benevolent somewhat.
Speaker 1: But I mean, I know that's the whole thing. That's great, folks. We have open lines still. So if you want to talk to me and said you should do that, please call in, whether on TikTok or I want to call in through our show, you can do that.
Speaker 2: Numbers on the screen to do so. But yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: So like I you know, the moral questions are probably one of the hardest ones for me to deconstruct, and that is because my kind of Christianity was the kind of Christianity that said, you, God is what gave you in understanding what's right and wrong, and like depending on how you follow the Bible, that may or may not literally be true, right, because like if you believe there's that of a need, they literally ate a fruit that gave you the knowledge of right and wrong. Right, so you can follow that or like moral intuition, right, you can just say, well, that's the sign of like a creator, right. And so like Chians always they really don't understand a world where we can evaluate things as being right or wrong without God being some sort of objective standard to that. The problem is God's not an objective standard. God has never been an objective standard. It's always been an idea. And we don't even know what God is, then we can't even evaluate him as an objective standard. He's meant different things, that's had different values depending on the culture and context, and you know the world that you live in. So I guarantee you if we talked to an early Christian from forty a d About what's right and wrong, they're going to disagree with most Christians on Earth today on what that looks like, because your culture and the world that you live in matters. So you know, these kinds of questions they used to be more interesting to me. Now it's just well, it really is just kind of all relative at the end of the day at some point, right, Well, And.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this was his take, there may be some of that in there, but there is a thinking it's often called vertical morality or divine command theory, where if God does it, it's moral by default. So we are God's creation and because God's ways are not our ways, and he works in mysterious ways, and God uses the foolish things to shame the wise, and trust not in your own understanding, etc. Then whatever God does, if he lets you die in a house fire, if he lets your children be stripped from you and a kidnapping, if if right horrible cancers and degenerative diseases, not whatever. If if you are punished or some horrible thing happens to you and your life is ruined, It's God's will and it cannot be called immoral. If God does it, it is just simply the moral thing. And his standard is totally different and lives apart from the standard that we apply to everything and everyone else. And one sinister thing that fundamental Christianity and other funding religions do is they try to strip us of asserting the authority to say that's wrong and that's a moral A great example is the Abraham Isaac story. And I'll have this conversation with about believers. I'll say it's kind of a setup, but you know, Christianity is lung Judaism. The Abrahamic faiths Oh, yes, yes, do you believe that Abraham was a hero of the faith. Yes, Abraham hero of the faith, And I say, look, if God told you to take your son to an altar and stab your son until he was dead as an act of obedience, would you do it?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: They will blink and squirm and say, well, it was a different time and he didn't actually and God the angel.
Speaker 2: But we suddenly worldvism is a good defense.
Speaker 3: That was different at the time, and ignore that Abraham was fully prepared to go through it to the point where his hand had to be grabbed to keep the eye from going down. But whenever we talk about well, can we then say that it's an immoral act? They say, well, you know God created aber and Isaac. God's plan demanded it. We can't call it immoral. Man, that's a dangerous place to be.
Speaker 2: That's yeahangerous.
Speaker 3: You can have all kinds of atrocities and insanities with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. That reminds me of a conversation I asked Frank Turk himself at Baylor University. He did a lecture there, and I asked him about this passage in numbers. I know you're familiar about it, where you know there's a guy that picks up sticks on a Sunday and as a result, he gets stoned to death for it, And I asked him if that was an act of I can't remember my exact wording, but it was something like if it was a good thing basically, right, was this was this good? Because I mean, it was God's law to do that at the time, so they had the right to do that. And I got this defense, like you said of like, well, you know it was the law of the time and now that's the old law and we're in the new covenants.
Speaker 2: Like, well, but that's not what that doesn't answer that, right, Like was it a act or not?
Speaker 1: Because if it wasn't a good act, we have to consider God's laws maybe not being good, right, Like I don't think that's good. I don't think people should be stoned to death really period. But let alone, you know, big enough sticks on a Sunday is not a big deal, but it was a big deal to that time and culture, because you know that's what browny is.
Speaker 2: It's kind of tight and time and culture.
Speaker 3: But well, obviously a maximally benevolent deity would have well, yeah, people owned for the heinous act of big picking on a on the Sabbath.
Speaker 1: It was so it was so we could read it in the modern day in the Bible and get scared.
Speaker 2: It is true. It is true?
Speaker 3: Well, you know another and I saw this done by a couple of Muslims in the Netherlands where they grabbed the Holy Bible and they put a curanic cover on it and they went out to people and they're like, did you read this atrocious story? And they read about slavery and the beating of slaves and the stoning of disobedient children or whatever the stories were, and man and people, the Christians that.
Speaker 2: They were speaking to, were like, that's barbaric.
Speaker 3: How can anyone possibly believe that in this modern day?
Speaker 2: It's so perfect?
Speaker 3: And they pulled the Kuran cover off and it says Holy Bible, and he shows them chapter and verse and you can see them their brains melt, just literally and they went many of them some were honestly disbelieving and like that's terrible, but a few of them.
Speaker 2: You could see him flip and he became defense.
Speaker 3: Well it was a context and translation time, and his ways are not my ways in Moray, you know, And it immediately became like they were defending instead of trying to have a conversation.
Speaker 2: About it. So yeah, yeah, of course you got to.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's just something about the brain that you know gets into that defensive mode when it comes to your deeply hell believe Would you have.
Speaker 2: Been that way?
Speaker 4: Like it?
Speaker 3: Let's say I'm an atheist and you were the believing Methodist and I came to you and I showed you a bunch of stuff in the Bible. Do you think you would have gone because I think I would have. In fact, I know I would have. I would have gone into a defensive posture. Yeah, and all the reasons why the nonsensical made sense. Do you feel like you would have done that?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: I think it depends on what time in my life, because I didn't read the Bible all the way until I was an adult, right, So it's like, you know, as a teenager, maybe I would have said that as I got older and I deconstructed when I was in college, right, So you know, I think maybe I would have said, there's probably more context to this that I don't know, Right, I would have just been like, I don't know, but there is an answer, I just don't know it. I think that's probably where my brain would have went to. But of course you know, you do the work and you figure it out. It turns out maybe there is an answer, but it's not so good.
Speaker 2: That's why, you know.
Speaker 1: I've talked with Catholics and they're like, oh, yeah, problem of evil. Thomas Aquin has figured that stuff out centuries ago. Man, you don't have to worry about that. Yeah, I know his answer. I just don't think it's good, Like I just.
Speaker 2: You know, but you know, John Lofton wrote a whole book on this.
Speaker 3: It's called The God of Needless Suffering, and I thought you had some really good points. He did a blog article version of it, kind of a synopsis that I actually read. I just read the whole thing on the podcast. This was three or four or five years and I think, you know, many people call it the problem of evil, but I think needless suffering is probably a slightly better way to phrase it.
Speaker 2: And it's a valid.
Speaker 3: Challenge to this idea of not just omni benevolence, but any kind of benevolence in a creature with God like powers who apparently is interested in us, and if that deity would allow the God who is not the author of confusion allowing this much confusion, and the God who is the God of peace, perfect peace, who is allowing and even enabling and creating this much suffering. I think it's perfectly valid to say no, now, I don't see any benevolence. In fact, there's probably malevolence there. What if God is to say this, who has the magnifying glass and is just frying us like insects and the body being right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I try to develop this idea earlier.
Speaker 1: I don't know how clear it was about this, but just to try to reiterate, like, I don't know how we can determine whether a maximally good or a maximally evil God currently exists right now, because I do see a lot of suffering, and any defense you can make towards a maximally good God right now, you could make towards a maxley evil god. You could say, oh, yeah, the good stuff that you're seeing right now, that's just the micro that's the part of the you know, that's the that's the little parts for the big macro plan of suffering. I mean, how do you how do you differentiate that?
Speaker 2: Right? I don't know how you do it, but.
Speaker 3: And how would you be able Let's say someone put both scenarios side by side and say tell me.
Speaker 2: This is God or a double to. What would the difference be, right? Yeah, the difference be so good.
Speaker 1: Stuff there, folks, We're still we have open lines. I want to talk to some people. I know you guys want to talk to Seth Andrews. I always want to know. Seth is awesome. Awesome guy. You you got to officiate my wedding last year.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, last night is one of the gigs that really are never expected to be able to do. And I just love and it was an honor to be there. I am outdoor wedding, which is goutsy the schedule and outdoor wedding, yes, and we.
Speaker 1: Had some technical issues from that so your mic was not working right, which I regret.
Speaker 2: But you know what I heard every word you said.
Speaker 3: It's all uptown problems, dude, It's all you know, first world problems. I know what's funny about and I'm doing. I'm actually officiating a wedding. I don't want to say the name because I.
Speaker 1: Describate citizens and stuff. Yeah, you probably don't want to take but.
Speaker 3: I just got invited next year to officiate the wedding of an Oklahoma congressman.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, all right, Olahoma, Yeah, Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: That's that's impressive.
Speaker 3: I was like, really, so that's pretty cool. But you know, it's funny a lot of times when I go in and I'm invited to be a secular efficiant, there will be highly religious people on the family tree.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Who here.
Speaker 3: They're not bringing in a preacher, They're bringing in who what's his name?
Speaker 2: Google.
Speaker 1: Definitely had a little bit of that with my family. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: Who who's coming in.
Speaker 3: I did a wedding in Kentucky must have been five years, six years ago, and I'm just talking while we wait.
Speaker 2: For the call. Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: But plus I'm one of those guys who I just like shows or people, band or anyway.
Speaker 2: Again, I can talk to Seth for two hours a week. We're catching it, you know.
Speaker 3: So anyway, the family of the groom, I mean they were hardcore Jesus is a Republican, conservative capitalist, you know, they were just and they were fundy Bible believers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And they found out I was coming and they're like, uh, you bringing a.
Speaker 2: Right, what's going on?
Speaker 3: And they had real trepidation about it, and like, no, this is who we want. This is who's officiating the winning And they're like, uh, it's your choice, are you sure? And I showed up and I'm telling you, by the end of the weekend, we were like pals. They all of the preconceptions they had about what the evil atheist is right or the godless is well. I show up in Goodwill. I'm walking around the room meeting everybody. We're swapping stories, talking about our families were out there setting things up. The service itself is not an agenda driven thing. It was about the couple. It wasn't about religion, politics anything. At the end, we're all having a ball. I'm helping to move chairs and tables when it's done, to take everything down, and they were just like wow.
Speaker 2: And my flight got canceled.
Speaker 3: And the same family that was weird about me officiating said, you are not going to a hotel.
Speaker 2: You are staying in our home tonight. And it's interesting when you.
Speaker 3: Humanize things in the walls start to come down, and in some cases I think that's when conversations can begin.
Speaker 2: But if nothing else, I know.
Speaker 3: I messed up their categories because they had this preconceived idea, right, and they.
Speaker 2: Were nervous and after it was over.
Speaker 3: They're like, hey, that wasn't bad at all.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: You really had to remind yourself. I have a buddy of mine. He was actually he was the best man at that wedding. I think the only Christian in my wedding party. Actually, and I've known this guy since since we used to be in church camp. Like we were church camp counselors. Okay, so we go back and uh, like he is, like if every Christian was like him, I would not be on the internet talking about stuff truly, because like, he's a good guy. I know, I know him in and out, and he's got some takes I disagree with, but I've never judged his heart on things. And that's really important because it's you're right. Even on our side of the space, it's easy for us to put people in the categories, even though we like to think that we're nuanced and we like to think, oh, hey, well I've talked to everybody under the sun.
Speaker 2: I'm Seth Andrews. Look at me. I'm cool. But you know, I mean all that's true.
Speaker 1: But you know, you know, we still meet people and they can still surprise us, which is great, and that's another reason why I like doing Collins shows because I still get surprised on stuff. Yeah, we hear some of the same stuff, but we do hear some surprises. Just earlier on Truth One, I was talking to somebody about their pre cognition via dreams and.
Speaker 2: You know, well that's more of a truth one thing. But you know it's fun. You can see some fun stuff.
Speaker 3: You think about. You know, do we share we made disagree in beliefs. Do we share values?
Speaker 2: Right? And that's why.
Speaker 3: Like when I Natalie and I were married, she identified as a Christian, and people were like, how how could you at all marry someone who identified as a Christian? Now she me she wasn't really it. She grew up Christian, went to Christian church. But I mean it wouldn't have worked if she was hardcore. Yeah, culturally Christian maybe right now she I think she's just like everything. She thinks there's maybe something out there. And you know, we got We've got a Buddhast statue downstairs, and there's a voodoo doll we keep for fun.
Speaker 2: And there's baby we got one of thosettle baby.
Speaker 3: Jesus's for laughs. I stuck it on the count. I mean just thirty one flavors, but we don't do anything religious. But even when she identified with a religious label, we shared values. Our our values were the same, and that was the difference. And you're right that we in the free thought movement atheists we like to think we're above it all and that we can't be reductive and we can't be humanized, and we can't be tribal, and we can't be biased, and we can't be just wrong. Yeah, and yeah, we're all animated meat man. We are all higher primates. We're all true you know. We we can all be guilty of reductive thinking and treating people in terms of memes instead of human beings.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and you know, I think we have to be aware of that.
Speaker 3: We can all we can all have bad ideas about good people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know it hurts me sometimes even more than Oh I used to be a Christian and I was hurt in this space. I mean, obviously, you know, we we know a lot of folks in the stories. It's I was in an atheist space and I got hurt in that space. That hurts me more because I feel a duty of care as somebody who you know speaks online, right, I feel like I have to help cultivate and be the example that I want to be, so I don't. I don't particularly, I don't always. It's fun sometimes I'm not gonna laugh, but I don't really like to get heat with people when we talk to people. Okay, if you're coming to Agro, you get what you're what's coming to you. Okay, I don't know what to do about that, but you know, I don't want to make an example of people and say this is why all this group of people are stupid.
Speaker 2: Okay, That's that's not what I'm here for.
Speaker 1: I'm here to help people understand where you're coming from and where I'm coming from and why we're here, right because it was a little journey to get to where we are here.
Speaker 2: And if we can build that understanding, that's great.
Speaker 1: And if somebody has an experience that's going to change my mind about something which people have done through this shows like this, then that's great as well. I want that to be the goal, not a you know, here's why all Christians are dumb, and here's why you're smarter and better than other people for not believing it. If that's what this movement is, then I want out, Okay, I don't want anything to do with that.
Speaker 3: Right. Well, I'm you know, I'm prepping material. I'm speaking at Baja Kan and Sarnia, and I'm doing an event in Huntsville and October, and I'm working on a speech and I'm not sure if I'm ready to I'm trying to decide how much grief i want, well, how much grief I want in my email inbox.
Speaker 2: But it's going to be I'm going to.
Speaker 3: Start with a lot of the bad arguments that religious people use about atheists. And we've heard it all, you know, they misrepresent and they talk they don't even understand what they're saying. But then I want to segue into here are so many of the things that I see in atheist spaces said about the religious that are just wrong. A religion is a mental illness. I just want to crawl through the monitor every time.
Speaker 2: I see that.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, I saw somebody post a meme that said, why is it so peaceful on Sundays because all the evil people are at church? I'm sorry, are you seriously saying that all the Christians are evil?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just ridiculous.
Speaker 3: There is one that said The reason that we are more educated is because we use more than just one book. And it shows that this giant, vast library is if this is a resource.
Speaker 1: This we because I totally read every book in that library for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hashtag irony.
Speaker 3: They didn't stop to check that the image was actually from a religious college. Oh wow, it's so I'm just I want to go through.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I just think we are not immune. Yes, totally got to be. We've got to do better. We do have folks that do want to talk to us.
Speaker 2: All right, cool.
Speaker 1: I'm very glad because Seth is a very interesting person. Guys, please talk to Seth. Okay, not like Darth Thawkins was, but you know, any literally any outer way, ad me more than two thank you before we do get to this next person, can I want to bring this up because I didn't get to bring it up earlier.
Speaker 2: I'm doing that thing where.
Speaker 1: You had a topic of conversation like fifteen minutes ago, and you're going back into it. Okay, so this is ADHD talking. Okay, have you heard about this this thing? You know, I went to Japan from my honeymoon and somebody told me about this. There's these this guy that claims he found the tomb of Christ in Japan. Do you know about this? You know about this is real? No, it is real. He claims he discovered the two And I have the article of from Wikipedia, of course, in nineteen thirty five, while he was serving a village there, and this is what it says. On the side, it says Christ's grave. When Jesus Christ was twenty one years old, he came to Japan and pursued divinity for twelve years. He went back to Judea at age thirty three and engaged in his mission. However, at that time, people in Judea would not accept Christ preaching. Instead, they arrested him and tried to crucify him on a cross. His younger brother, Issu Kiri casually took Christ's place and in his life on the cross. And then it goes on to talk about how Christ actually escaped crucifixion and went to Japan and lived to the age of one hundred and six and that's his grave.
Speaker 2: So I just think that's awesome. That's super cool. Isn't that great?
Speaker 3: Like the Mormon story of Jesus after the reserd direction, before he went up to Heaven, he visited Palmyra, New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: It's like Assassin's Creed lare right there or something. I don't know, it's awesome. I want that to be true. I hope that Jesus Christ was well, first of all, did exist, and also, you know, left your day to go to Japan until the age of one hundred.
Speaker 2: And he lived a long and rich, happy life. Yeah, we just we never figured that out. And now, like, that's awesome. That would be a great ending to a Christianity story. Oh man, okay, so the call that was coming in earlier, Oh, maybe there's another coming in the queue.
Speaker 1: Another one got terminated, so we we we're gonna keep chatting here.
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 2: I think that's what's happening, right.
Speaker 3: I don't mind a bit. I can flap my gums all day, you know. Yeah, and two hosts in a room. You know, it's almost like when I was I forgot where I was, but I had Forest Valcai and Gotsi Gibbon in the same room and we were just sitting and you just start talking and blink and it's two hours later.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh my god, yes, And then you think.
Speaker 3: God, I wish i'd had microphon in here this whole time.
Speaker 1: I remember being at a table with it was you, guts it, Gibven, who else was there? This was at a convention we went to and and y'all too like, first of all, guts it given you talk. Just mentioned the word ape and you'll lose te minutes of your life.
Speaker 2: And it's a good fifteen minute to lose.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying it's bad, but man, like, you know, shit, that's her thing, and it's like, I don't know you you also being there, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We have very interesting people in our space, it is for sure.
Speaker 3: I think used the word genius and she would hate that I'm using it.
Speaker 2: But really she, I mean, she is one of them.
Speaker 1: Oh you're saying she's calling her genius. I thought you meant she didn't like the word genius in general.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, I mean, gosh, she would totally blush and she would differ and say, no, Robert Sepalski or somebody else youh.
Speaker 5: Blah love it.
Speaker 3: But her level of knowledge and expertise and just her acumen, her ability to connect dots and translate them into something where you and I can play along is one of them, she enforced, both are some of the best science communicators that I have ever met. We did an event together, all three of us, on stage in Tulsa this last March, and I was like, here, I am on stage with two PhD you know, candidates, and I'm the guy who thought that a donkey spoke Hebrew in.
Speaker 2: The book numbers, you know, just like you know.
Speaker 3: But then I have to then I have to realize, no, I have a part to play and I have to contribute. But you get them talking biology, primatology, whatever, and buggle up, have a seat, drink something, because it's going to be a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true, it's true.
Speaker 1: Definitely more interesting conversations than most conversations I had in church.
Speaker 2: I am confident in that.
Speaker 1: But okay, on that note, I think we we we got our stuff together on our side here, so I have somebody available next in I think here.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, it's backwards you.
Speaker 1: No, I'm sorry, guys, I'm sorry, I'm tea in today because it's not we're getting stuff figured out on our side. Okay, there's some things happening, but again, just flapping my gums with said.
Speaker 3: You did you like when I was raised in a fundamental Christian home in school and I'm a private Christian school. Right, we knew evolution was a lie of the devil.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was me, but no one knew.
Speaker 3: What evolution really was, Like we've never read the on the Origin of Species, We've never taken a legit biology class, so we were just taught to make fun of it, like, oh well, I ain't no monkey, and then we were taught to dismiss and laugh at it. But we never actually found out what it was that we disagreed with before we disagreed with.
Speaker 2: It, right, yeah, yeah, I uh so.
Speaker 1: My so again just weird for my origins because my dad used to be Catholic and he became a Protestant when he buried my mom's Yeah, I wonder how that, you know why that happened, but you know told him now now yeah is real. Yeah, So I guess they compromised and started going to the Methodist Church, which Methodism, in case you don't know, has some like Catholic over like they got bishops and stuff, right, like, they got some stuff in there. So being a Methist in Waco meant that I guess I didn't realize people saw me as the enemy, but I was right. I don't know if there was something people ever told me out loud, but you know, Guaco, you've been there. David Alivera has a great joke about Waco. He says there's more Christians than people, which is which is very true. And you know Stone's toss away, you're hitting three church windows.
Speaker 2: Okay. So I didn't know that I was the enemy. I didn't know.
Speaker 1: That that was the thing until I was at least a teenager. And I actually started going to a Baptist church in my teenage years, and it was only because the boy Scout troop that I went to met at that church, and so I just kind of started to know people there more and it became easier and I went to like the youth group there and stuff right, and that's when I realized a big difference in my theology.
Speaker 2: So I also didn't know what evolution.
Speaker 1: Was, but I was kind of like neutral towards it until I got to High Scholl and I learned it and I was like, oh, okay, I get it. I don't see what the big deal was this, This stuff makes sense to me. And then I go to church and that's when I first was hearing like, oh, yeah, this you know in the Baptist Church, they're like, no, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: You know, there's Adam and Eve and everything else is a lie.
Speaker 1: And I don't know. That's when that cognitive distance really starting for me. But yeah, no, evolution was not a problem. It was a problem for the people around me definitely, though.
Speaker 2: For sure. You know, it's like I just bought it. Oh well, we're you.
Speaker 3: Know, we're the product of a cosmically conjured dirt man and rib woman in an enchanted garden with talking reptiles, and I'm okay with that. But this idea that you know, well, we are evolved creatures, but it was really misrepresented.
Speaker 2: I mean, my theologian father had a master's degree in diffity or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I remember him once when I first had become an apostate. He was like, so you believe a horse can give birth to a rabbit. And I thought, you know, this reveals to you a fundamental of not misunderstanding, a misrepresentation of how works.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And I also think that many people believe that if we are just an animal, or if we are not superior to all other things, somehow that cheats the human experience. It cheats our worth and value, and it as someone who is finally, you know, realized how wrong I was about all those funding mythologies and accepted the science of evolution, I actually feel better, Like I feel more connected, I'm more in awe of the natural world, and and I feel a sense of kinship, you know.
Speaker 2: And so you'll go ahead.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I was just going to say I was told it was a cheat, and I feel the exact opposite.
Speaker 2: I feel like it was a gift, you know.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so interesting because I know other content creators like yourself, who grew up in a more fundent, like fundamental tradition like you did, that have that same sort of sort of reaction to you know, the evolution and nature and things like that, right where it's like, yeah, this was such a big hang up that now you've come to peace with it, but it gave you a lot of pause, Whereas with my background, it wasn't a hang up at all. I was just a Christian and I didn't know. I couldn't tell you whether there was like a real Adam and Eve or not. I wasn't too sure about that. But I didn't have to deconstruct evolution, right, I didn't have to deconstruct my entire knowledge basis of like what I believe scientifically, right, definitely some science stuff, but not like, not that level. And I think that's just so fascinating how much of a difference of an impact that can have on you after you've you know, you've learned to tell the difference between again, like what's real and what's not real when it comes to evolution, right, Like, it's not a duck's turning into people or whatever, it's just a series of you know, the long term causal events, right.
Speaker 3: Well, and then when you see religious organizations, denominations, institutions confronted with the overwhelming abboutch of evidence saying this is real, then they have to adjust. So the Catholic Church is the obvious one. They're like, okay, fine, evolution is real. It's usually a guided evolution model, and it does makes sense to me, but yeah, somehow it's we evolved and it looks exactly like the neatory world would act except God. And then then you put the apologist in and they have Sometimes they'll move the creation model around so that it means all kinds of different things.
Speaker 2: So wait a minute.
Speaker 3: Was it a literal six day creation where the actual days was the day like millions of years? Was it guided? Did he just start and let everything go? Was it a watchmaker thing? Was it something else?
Speaker 2: And you know, you can.
Speaker 3: Put a bus load of apologies together on the same field trip and they'll probably be arguing within the first ten miles of the trip right basics of their faith. And I find that telling very.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is selling something.
Speaker 1: A word you used earlier, which I mean I often use, but some somehow the way you said it just made me reflect on it a little bit. You describe when your relationship to your father, You're like, you know, when I became an apost state, which makes it sound so serious when you put it that way, right, doesn't it when you put a label on it like that, When a lot of people's just like, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Went to church for a little bit and then it stopped going. It was a big deal.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, most people know my story, but for the five that don't, I mean mom and dad hardcore theologian level. I mean, my mother wrote a Greek New Testament study guide which was used at the college level. They wrote sermons for pastors they met at a Christian college. They were the most serious religious people I had ever met. There was no religious small talk. It was Bible literalism. It was Christian school, Christian music, Christian friends, Christian church, Christian everything. And when I was a Christian radio host and a Christian video producer, I served churches all around the country that they felt like that I was doing God's good work and they were so proud, right, he was ministering the gospel and playing to his gifts, and we or we could not be prouder.
Speaker 2: Well, what's the worst nightmare of.
Speaker 3: Two people like that, a guy like me then deconstructing and becoming a frontline, very public atheist activist. And it shattered them. It just broke these two people, and and it broke our relationship. And uh, it's one of the reasons that I continue to do what I do because I hear a lot from a lot of people, and and they realize how conditional the love was that they were receiving from a lot of people. And I think they felt a sense of shame for hurting their families. And I'm like, well, that's that's not your fault, Like your your desire to live an authentic life first of all, would not anger any maximally benevolent deity.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't that that deity maximally benevolent would be like, awesome, you're doing your best. I appreciate that you got it wrong. Okay, no problem, enter into your rest, here's your mansion, have a nice life. But I think they carry upon themselves this idea that well, I have to keep the peace. Well, if you are muting your own values and derailing your own authentic journey to keep other people from being uncomfortable, that's not peace. That may be an absence of conflict, but it's not peace. That's not the same. And everybody around you gets to be their authentic self. They're loud and proud about what they think, and they expect you to sit on your hands or reverse course, to do it their way. And a lot of what I do is I think fueled by my own experience, my own loss of relationships, and the day that I thought, you know, no, I got one life. I got one shot, and I'm going to try to live it authentically. And the people who get it get it, and those who don't there's the door, and.
Speaker 2: That's tough, do you know, right, I definitely definitely tough.
Speaker 1: But I know for a fact that you have inspired so many people with your own story, and I think the world in our community truly is better for I mean, I could glaze Seth all day, but but but really, Seth is a great voice in our space, and I'm proud that I get to know you personally, you know, and and and get.
Speaker 2: To work with you on stuff. It's it's it's it's been really cool being able to do that.
Speaker 1: So thanks for for being so brave and telling your story and doing what you do, man.
Speaker 3: Because I don't you feel brave. Mostly I just feel like we're dated now.
Speaker 1: But you know, it was a big deal back when it first started, right, I mean when you were when you were getting into this, I'm sure it was pretty nerve wracking.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 3: It was sleepless nights, and there was no organization like Recovering from Religion where you could go in and have a listening here, and there are very few online resources. I think there was like talk Origins and Atheist Axis and a few forums. You know, yeah, but I felt very very alone, and and you know, you can really see how a lot of people who are going through these struggles, cognitive struggles, logical struggles. They know in many ways that their fundy faith is focus.
Speaker 2: But you can understand.
Speaker 3: Why they don't want to take those last few steps into even agnosticism, why they wear Christianity like a pin on their lapel, and because there goes your support system. What about your family? Well, what about your spouse who's a believer? Will they freak out and say now I don't want you to see your kids and you end up in court and then your marriage is over? And what's that word of them? What if your boss is a believer? And who am I? Like? I went through that, who if I'm not a believer? Who am I? Right after I realized that did buy Christianity, I had to go back, point by point through.
Speaker 2: All my other value systems.
Speaker 3: I was like, all right, well, now that I'm not filtering everything through my God glasses, how do I feel about things like the death penalty and drugs?
Speaker 2: Deconstruction? Man, which that probably wasn't word.
Speaker 3: You used at the time, but I had to figure well, what now that I'm not being told what I think? What do I think? And that is a process, man, It's took forever.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, folks. I just want to say thank you guys for dealing with us. While we've had some tech issues on our site, it sounds like we have everything figured out. Now we've got calls and they want people to talk to us of SETH. Maybe we should do what the original premise of the show, it tails, and actually talk to people I can talk to. First of all, I have regrets about our conversation. It's always great, but you know, with yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Let's do it. Okay, I'm switching gears here.
Speaker 1: I want to talk to Oh my goodness, we have some good ones. Let's talk to Aaron, who's calling in from Texas. First, Aaron, I think you were waiting the longest here. You're live on the eighth this eightheist experience. Oh my god, what's up. How's it going?
Speaker 10: Hey, guys, thanks for taking the call. I just wanted to if we're talking, we're getting back on topic, like on the UH at the top of the marquee, I can speak to that. I did want to say some some stuff on the Tails about about evolution. I when I was I was already deconverted at this point, but for me, it was very eye opening to learn that because I wasn't looking at evolution the model seriously enough and considering its ratification seriously enough. And also the things that I assumed about my theology and when when I was a believer. Maybe this was towards the end of it, Maybe it was, Maybe it was part of part of the deconversion towards the end. You know, it's never like one thing, but seeing the incongruity between my theology and the and the reality of evolution, Uh, there was never If there's never an Adam and Eves, then why did Why should I be grateful that we tortured that guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, just symbolism.
Speaker 10: Then that means that why why did we torture a guy? And then we're happy about it? Well, what do we say from if this is symbolism and.
Speaker 2: If evolution is real, then.
Speaker 10: There never was a first sin, because there would need to be a day that there was a first day there was a human to be held responsible for that.
Speaker 2: Yep, And we.
Speaker 10: Didn't get a day one of having a human being because we're in this drift of life that we call human today, which will be called what later on? Who knows?
Speaker 5: Who knows?
Speaker 10: What they're going to call what we are today later on? Right, absolutely, at what point were our ancestors killing each other and then a day crosses and you guys are human now and this is now fucked up in a sin and you're going to need some salvation for it.
Speaker 2: But we got I agree with you, Aaron.
Speaker 1: This is the one thing I agree with Young Earth Gracious about, which is that evolution kind of throws original sin out the window and makes kind of the whole Bible narrative that makes sense, right? I know Catholics have some kinds of answers to it. They don't make sense what we already talked about that It just it kind of doesn't work. What does guided evolution mean? What does the entire story mean? What about all these times where they kept track of the individual dates of how old Methuselah was and everybody else in the Bible? Right, Like, what was all that tracking for? It wasn't for literal times. I guess you could say their theological dates or whatever ages.
Speaker 2: But you know you can.
Speaker 1: Only get that so far, right until you just don't have a history anymore, you just have stories, right, So yeah, I agree with you, it doesn't make sense, and it's really tough to understand everything.
Speaker 10: But most Christians I have known have said to me that that at least when we get into reasonable conversations.
Speaker 2: About about like, there's a lot of.
Speaker 10: Christians that will concede that they believe in evolution, they believe in a long history of the universe. They do not see then they don't hold up their story against the reality of history and then say, well, when.
Speaker 2: Did what happen?
Speaker 10: Yeah, and what exactly does that mean?
Speaker 7: Because your belief is some crazy stuff.
Speaker 10: Not to have those answers, like those incongruencies settled, you know.
Speaker 2: I understanding agree, Yeah, on the same.
Speaker 1: Page there, man, I don't know you're preaching to the choir, but I don't know what else you want from me on that other than yeah, I totally agree.
Speaker 2: I guess I think Seth agrees too. I agree.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I did want to I did want to say about the about about giving God your money, the yeah, go for when your when your orientation is life in life is about uh being dutiful and you know, like serving, Well, you're not starting from a standpoint of loving yourself, knowing yourself. You are called to be obedient and to serve that can get you into as wild and extreme of financial bleedout as your group can get creative in their needs. You know, uh, you you could be with your faith one building project away from being wiped out for a retirement because because you've already decided that well being is something that God will take care of for you, not something.
Speaker 7: That you look at for yourself.
Speaker 5: And so yeah, that the model gets.
Speaker 2: You vulnerable, keep you vulnerable. Right, that's a good insight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, Christianity really isn't about self reflection in that sense. Right, It's not really about knowing yourself. You already know yourself, you're sinful. What else is there ney to know? You need to get right with God?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's an interesting thing, and that's probably why fundamentalists also probably have problems with things like psychology and therapy and things like that, because when you realize, oh wait, it's actually good to have healthy like personal boundaries with people or to understand yourself better, and why you may have some issues because people actually struggle with things differently, and suddenly your model of why people do the things that they do is a bit more towards naturalist reasons rather than everybody sins because somebody eight and apples six thousand years ago, right, So yeah, that totally makes sense.
Speaker 2: I think that's a good insight you guys have.
Speaker 10: Any what did you guys think boundaries were before? Like I definitely understand why boundaries now and how to avoid getting like taking advantage of financially, but yeah, I didn't have good boundaries context for boundaries were terrible before.
Speaker 1: Speaking for myself, and I want to hear Seth's answer, but yeah, I did. Part of my deconstruction was just figuring that out and having good boundaries and you know, not to get too personal, but even with my own family, when I started to become more involved in activism and stuff, figuring out boundaries around that, you know, they they told me that you can't say this, you can't talk about this, and it's like, well, I'm an adult actually, and I'm I'm going to do these things and you may not like my decisions, and that's just what it means to be a person, you know. So yeah, definitely Christianity did not teach me good boundaries of anything.
Speaker 2: It did the opposite.
Speaker 1: It told me to be trusting of people that had a power dynamic over me, right, in ways, some more justified than others.
Speaker 2: Right, So it's it's it's a it's a bad thing for sure.
Speaker 1: I think that's part of the reason why people have so many stories about things going wrong in a church environment, because those lines definitely get blurred.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I said, I mean, I imagine you feel pretty simple.
Speaker 3: Well, if you look at literal Christianity, according to the Bible, it's an authoritarian religion. So there's a model where you are to respond to authority that has been placed over you. And the parental model is a great example. Honor thy father and thy mothers. So the way it goes, and the way it went for me was even when I was a man in his late thirties, I was supposed to honor my mother and father, which meant what every time they send me a text, sermon or an email, or or they call, or they say whatever they want to say about how I'm going to hell and I'm embarrassing the family and blah blah blah, I'm supposed to simply abide it because respect your elders, Honor thy father and thy mother.
Speaker 2: They are your parents.
Speaker 3: I'm your mother, I'm your father, and a lot of that kind of authoritarianism is baked into these types of models, and it's not just religious. You can find them in any high control culture. The pastor's shepherd model fits there as well. And I had to come to a point where I'm like, no, actually, just because we share some DNA in a specific way, or because you're older, or because you raised me, and I appreciate the sacrifices you made, blah blah blah, but you don't get to step into the over the threshold of my private life and then dictate who I am, what I think, what my values are, how I take this journey. And it was tough because I'll tell you, family members give themselves permission. Religious authority figures give themselves permission. There are a lot of people in our lives that give themselves permission to do and say things that we would never abide from anybody else. And to be able to say no and draw that hard line and say if you cross this, there will be consequences. You know, respect, I think starts with self respect. Once I realize that I'm not saying the journey was easier emotionally, but it was clearer, The decisions were clear, and it was easier to be able to live an authentic life without guild and shame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, Aaron, I totally want to hear you respond. I'm gonna have to cut you off, though, because we're getting close to the end and I want to make sure we get at least one other caller in.
Speaker 2: So I'm just gonna say thank you so much for your call.
Speaker 1: I hope you got some of the conversation you're looking for, and I hope you have a good rest of your Sunday. But I'm going to try to move things on very quickly because making up for some lack of time without calls seth. I want to try to at least one more call with you if we have time for that, and that cool with you, Let's do it, Okay, moving on, this is a really interesting one. I'm going to talk to Alison, who's calling in. I think this is Missouri. Alison wants to talk to us about how math is what people consider a god. Very interested in this premise, Allison, what do you got?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I recently I've always been table at math. I recently was looking into the Doublestit experiment, which got me heavily interested.
Speaker 5: In see radical physics.
Speaker 11: Then why I looked into that? Then more I realized math is the only thing that trad be considered the God. And I think math is the best counter argument to most seists because it can be plugged in the face of God. Why is there something that stood nothing well because of math? Why are there laws of physics?
Speaker 2: What that's about?
Speaker 11: What is there outside of the universe?
Speaker 5: Math? You can replace anything.
Speaker 11: Math is outside of time and space. Math is the only thing that truly exists.
Speaker 2: Can Can you define what you mean by God? Yeah?
Speaker 11: Okay? So by God I would mean I don't know.
Speaker 5: That's actually kind of hard in this sense.
Speaker 11: I would say today God is something that is all powerful. It so and by all pawerful, I mean this praphic is the wrong word. Nothing can happen without it. It is the reason for all things as well as it exists. It's not bound by space of time. If the universe needs to exist today, it would still be completely unfaced.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if philosophers or people who study math, and people who have PhDs and more letters in front of the name than me actually agree on the idea that math actually exists as like an idea like independent of people like I think the jury is still out on that whether it's just an abstract thing or if it like concretely exists so like to even call it god or to give it any more like credence, then it's it's a way of you know, solving problems and describing the universe kind of gives me pause, Like why call it god? Why not just say you know, we know things because of math and just leave it at that.
Speaker 5: Well, my problem got.
Speaker 4: Would be that now I again, like you just said, people with me weigh more.
Speaker 5: Leves in front of the name. I'm an educated affirm.
Speaker 11: But from my looking into the both sides that argument, I think that both sides use math in a different way. When I say math, I usually mean true math, not what we do. I consider what we do like algebra and geometry and arithmetic and all.
Speaker 2: That as well.
Speaker 1: Hang on, wait, let's math too, though. I don't know why you're saying that's not true math, right.
Speaker 11: My thought is that's not actually math, that's our attempt to understand math.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that means. How is that our attempt on mean math? Why is that not just math?
Speaker 11: So my thought is that the way that like pianists, orbit or anything that gravity, everything is dictated by something that's something is actual math, and what we call math is our attempt to understand what that is. And I've been looking into Indepparently some of the greatest mathematical minds ever said that we are children played with blacks when it comes to actual math.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just I don't know what to do with this, Sam, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: When I hear math used in this particular context of this conversation, it seems to be a sense of agency, like God agency. What I understood, math is simply a tool that we use to measure the proper of our natural world. So I don't see mathematics as having agency. And when we talk about the orbits of the planets and the nature of the cosmos, we're simply talking about matter, the laws of physics, et cetera. Yeah, but I don't think any of those things require agency. There's cause and effect, something happened. But I don't think mathematics as God. When I think of God, I think of a some entity with godlike powers, property, intelligence, and agency, purposefully sending us to a specific destination I think math is a tool, right, but math is not an agent.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I want to add on to that, Seth, because this sounds like a situation where we're confusing the map for the territory a little bit, right, Like, I don't know if math again exists in the abstract as a literal object in nature. I think it's more like you said, it's a tool, it's a descriptor. I don't know if that means that you know, the Earth orbits the sun literally because of math as some sort of divine, sort of platonic abstract. I think it's it's more just, you know, a way that we're describing a relationship between two bodies, planetary bodies. Right, So I don't know, Alison, what do you think?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 11: I think that I can really agree math pass agency and I should have taught with God. The chance is math is the only thing concerner of the God. But it has no will, desire or anything.
Speaker 2: It just simply is. But not my thoughts.
Speaker 3: So I think so math being an immovable constant, and let's call it reliable. A reliable constant would mean it would be the most godlike thing in lieu of an actual deity is that right.
Speaker 11: I think it's really exists. It could be in any way considered to be God. But okay, comes down to two different use of the word math. And I get that because I'm counted on a lot when talking about this. It's this this mouth, which is like algebra and all of that, which is the tools.
Speaker 7: We use, and those are tools, and.
Speaker 11: Okay, decide how bodies interacting everything. What I'm talking about is actual interaction is going on themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just to wrap this up because unfortunately we don't have a lot of time. Allison, if you're using this to talk to people about it, my take is you should not do this because I think you're talking to two fairly educated people who are still having trouble understanding even the basic premise of this argument here, and that might be a key in letting you know that maybe this needs to be workshopped a little bit more before you go on using this, because I don't want the Christians to look at atheists and think that we don't know what the hell we're talking about because you're bringing up some things about math being God that they can't understand, because I can't understand it fully either.
Speaker 3: At the point I mean my problem, maman, I'm not it might be as opposed.
Speaker 2: You just don't know.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a difference between being right and being convincing right and right now, I'm not convinced about this idea, so maybe it's.
Speaker 3: Not under the workshop something to chew on though. Thank you very much, thank.
Speaker 2: You for your feedback.
Speaker 11: And it was more I use it in response to when people start trying to plug God the things off the rock and plug mouth into the same thing. But I think, yeah, I get that it doesn't make sense to most people because I came over the thought in a very manic episode. So it's my manic thoughts. I need to like streamline them.
Speaker 2: I gotcha.
Speaker 1: Well, just again, be careful when you use these analogies because people like really, they get hung up on that God word and they will argue with you to death about what that means. Right, So you know, maybe a different strategy is in order. We're talking about these things. But appreciate you sharing the idea, and I hope you have a great rest of your Sunday. And with that, folks, we got to start wrapping things up. I want to thank my special awesome guests. Seth Andrews for joining us. Seth, thanks so much for being on the show today. If people want to find more of your stuff, where should they go?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm easy to find.
Speaker 3: I just got to my website Seth Andrews dot com.
Speaker 2: You'll find links to the stuff I do.
Speaker 3: And I host a couple of podcasts and written a few books and just whatever Seth Andrews dot com.
Speaker 2: But it was always good to hang out.
Speaker 3: It's, you know, it's fun to it's fun to have conversations about conversations.
Speaker 2: And I think that was a lot of.
Speaker 3: What happened today, even beyond the calls and and I'm I'm honored to have been invited. So thanks to everybody for letting me play in the big kids table here.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, it's always great having you real quickly, folks, do before you go, just a quick reminder our back cruise and that's happening this year is August fifteenth, it's two weeks away. So we still have tickets on sale now and they're going fast. Over two thirds of our available tickets I have already been sold. If you're in case you're not are familiar, it's you know, we all get to hang out on a boat on a river down in Austin and it's awesome. We also have a special guest lecture that Friday, and we're gonna have all of our ACA shows, including Atheists Experience filmed live at the free Thowt Library that Sunday. So our guest that week and will be genetically Modified Skeptic, the Antibot Thinker, Godless Engineer, Secularity Kelly Laughlin. Of course myself will also be there, so look forward to more announcements in the next couple of weeks for any other hosts that are attending, but tickets for that are available ACA Dot Show slash Back Cruise. I also need to give a huge shout out to the crew that helped make the show happen and are helped out with some amazing, amazing production today.
Speaker 2: So thank you crew for doing what you do. Really appreciate it, and they really are beautiful people, aren't they.
Speaker 3: If you want to you got to be born with that. You can't just fake.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: If you want to be one of these attractive crew members and be a guest on all of our shows, or maybe even become a host, We're always looking for more people, so email volunteer at Atheist Hyphencommunity dot org to get involved. And one special shout out again to blind Life, our backup host who was very frantically waiving for many of our.
Speaker 2: Calls and also gave you a quick.
Speaker 1: Message on something by like typing it on his phone and then showing it with the camera, which was a good technique to get my attention to keep blind one me for doing that, and man's that's it. That's what we got, you know, Seth, thanks again for coming. Any any final thoughts before we wrap things up today.
Speaker 3: No, I think, honestly, I enjoy the idea of talking about issues in relation to is the REGD a smarther spirits ghost supernatural? I do think though, that if there is a maxim only benevolent God, that deity would not need an apologist like one of our the pithy insect earthlings to explain him. It's almost like when someone hands you an apologetics book that explains the Bible. I'm like, why do I need a book that explains the book? Why does there rather the book by the other guy? Disagree with your book that explains the book? And I just think an omni benevolent, maximally benevolent Deity would have already cleared it up where there would be no ambiguity, furious minds would have been satiated, and the conversation would be over. And you know, so, I find that it's interesting when you find that people have decided God has appointed me to defend him as a weird position to take. God should be able to do his own dirty work. But it's been fun hanging out with everybody. I'm heading out to the tennis court and to go play a match and hopefully not suck. And I will see you back here on the next time we do the thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, sounds great, seth sounds great, folks, Thanks again for watching.
Speaker 2: We'll see y'all next Sunday. Y'all have a good one. Thanks later.
Speaker 3: Ellen. Watch Talk Eathan Live Sundays at one pm Central and call into the show at five one two nine nine one nine two four two, or connect to the show online at a c A dot show slash Call