Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Let's go beyond the box score with our regular commentator Jackie Ray. Jackie Ray, I feel sometimes the world has been tuning into this show and they are having events and situations just because we already talked about it, and we talked about this idea of sports and politics, how people fans will complain about athletes having political opinions, and we're saying, wait, wait, wait, wait wait. You know, athletes are people. But there's a second side to this, where the federal government is inserting itself into sports. We saw that again today with the announcement by President Trump of the following listen.
Speaker 3: To this because I feel like early but well that's the wrong clip.
Speaker 4: That's Paul Pierce. So now Paul will get you just a second.
Speaker 5: I'm pleased to reveal that the twenty twenty seven NFL Draft, that's a big thing, will be held right here in our nation's capital, Washington, DC, on the Nation Mall.
Speaker 3: And you get a little grim savage.
Speaker 5: I don't think I was just saying to Roger, I don't think there's ever been anything like that.
Speaker 3: That's a good idea. Of fact, maybe we could use it for other things.
Speaker 5: Also, I have an idea it's going to be beautiful. It's going to be something that nobody else will ever be able to duplicate.
Speaker 4: That I don't suspect.
Speaker 5: It's very exciting. Every year, hundreds of young football players have their dreams come true as the NFL teams across the land, and you just saw that last week select the best young players in America to join their ranks. Hundreds of thousands of football fans will travel all across our country to cheer them on in person. We expect would you say, more than one hundred thousand people?
Speaker 4: Okay, let me give us more contexts.
Speaker 2: National Mall, that's what we have presidential inaugurations, and it's being announced by the president.
Speaker 4: This is almost a fake question.
Speaker 2: But how can we separate sports and politics if the president is now physically inserting himself in to the NFL.
Speaker 6: Draft, Right, this is one of those things that theoretically I wouldn't have a problem with this at all. I wouldn't have a problem with the president saying, oh, isn't this a really cool thing? You know, especially with the commanders talking about going back to Washington because they're in Maryland right now, correct, So that theoretically he clearly likes football. He's a football fan, and he wants to be part of the NFL as a owner.
Speaker 4: Forty years ago.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he wanted to buy the Bills at one point. So none of this really bothers me on the surface of it. The only reason that it bothers me is because of the messenger, because it's coming from a man who has told everybody athletes need to just play football, they shouldn't talk about politics. But then he is inserting in himself and basically doing the very thing he has told athletes not to do.
Speaker 7: So it bothers me on that front.
Speaker 6: But it also bothers me because Roger Godell in twenty sixteen with a Colin Kaepernick situation, he was scrutinized very much because of his position and his friendship with Donald Trump. So for him to just kind of forget all of that and pretend that right now he's not just as if not more polarizing than he was then is tone deaf.
Speaker 2: Let me jump in there, because people need some context. Roger Goodell, it works for the owners. He's the commissioner of the league, but he's picked by the owners to advance the interests of the league, not the players.
Speaker 4: That's why they have the players Association.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't expect Goodell to do anything other than Roger Goodell, and that means closing up to Donald Trump because at this time, we've seen it with different law firms, We've seen it with universities, and now we're seeing it with the NFL. It is in their best interest to stay on the good side of the President. But the problem is if and when players have an issue with that. And we know we talked about the Eagles going to the White House, some forty players did not go.
Speaker 4: Did not go, so there's still an issue.
Speaker 2: I just don't want the players to be marginalized or singled out for doing or acknowledging that the NFL is basically is taking a political stamp.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if it was me and I had a kid that was going to be in the twenty twenty seven draft, we would be drafting from home.
Speaker 7: That's just not going to be a thing.
Speaker 6: And I'm sure if it was a child that came from my womb, he would have no problem with that, So it wouldn't even be a hard sell. But I think putting people in that position is the problem. To your point, though, I think you would have to be completely tone deaf and blind if you couldn't see that this makes sense that Roger Goodell, because to your point, this is a an owners are billionaires, correct, And Donald Trump is placating to the billionaires. None of us in this tax bracket he cares about at all, and so it's his job to make the billionaires happy. But I think as a country, if we cannot see that, that doesn't mean the people. When you're placating to the billionaires, you're not placating to the people. So, yes, this might be good for a couple of days, but it's not going to be great for the city as a whole long term.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, let me jump in there, because Roger Goodell is not the mayor of Washington, DC. Roger that Roger Goodell is not about the business of uplifting anyone, with the exception of the financial fortunes or the owners who I said before have selected him and chosen him to make more money for them. And if embracing President Trump in this way, in this manner makes it that there aren't any type of tariffs or executive actions which may negatively impact the NFL.
Speaker 4: I don't think anyone should be surprised.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it might negatively impact the Washington Commanders when they move back because of building materials and the tariffs that have been placed on certain nations that are going to make building materials difficult. But it's not going to impact the owners in any other ways. Besides that, well, well, athletically, I have to agree and disagree with you.
Speaker 2: It could impact them because you have a team like the Washington Commanders who historically has been very sensitive to political issues surrounding the team, and I can see a situation where if President Trump were to get too cozy that the f so the commanders might have a reaction.
Speaker 6: I think if they were going to have a reaction, especially the female fan base, they would have had that reaction already because of the Washington Commanders have had sexual miscontext scandals, and we're talking about a president who is a convicted felon in that manner, So if they were going to have an issue with it, I think they would have been loud about that.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 6: For I don't know why people are downplaying who he is and the convictions that he has but it's definitely happening. As a mayor, this has to be a profit for the city. I live in Long Beach. Long Beach is doing the same thing. Long Beach hasn't invested a dime in downtown Long Beach forever. But now that the twenty twenty eight Olympics are coming, now we're seeing all this push to build infrastructure and make it more livable and enjoyable basically on the world stage. But inevitably that'll be more enjoyable for us. So I get the benefits of the mayor saying, hey, we want this here, but again, you have to overlook an abundance of hippoc to do it, and that's the problem for me.
Speaker 2: When we come back, let's talk about Paul Pierce, former Boston Celtic, former Inglewood High School graduate. So there's an la tie in Nate Smith basketball Hall of Famer. He got loose on a podcast and Paul Paul Pierce and now he does a lot of also sports commentary for ESPN.
Speaker 4: Or is it Fox?
Speaker 7: I think it's ESPN ESPN.
Speaker 2: Well, anyhow, he has a lot to say about a lot of stuff, and what he more recently had to say about marriage has raised a lot of eyebrows.
Speaker 4: I want to get your thoughts about it when we come back.
Speaker 7: Let's do it.
Speaker 4: It's Later with Mo Kelly.
Speaker 2: You're still going to be on the box Score with Jackie Ray, KFIM six forty, Life everywhere in the iHeart Radio app and on YouTube.
Speaker 4: At mister mom Kelly.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Mister mom Kelly, We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and on YouTube. Shout out to Damon, one of my haters who not only listened to the show, heard that we were on YouTube, decided to log on and waste more time to tell me how much he doesn't like me.
Speaker 4: I really do appreciate that, Damon.
Speaker 7: Push the algorithm.
Speaker 2: Well, the difference between him talking and me talking is only one of us gets paid.
Speaker 7: Amen.
Speaker 4: Now, not to the show, Jackie Ray.
Speaker 2: Paul Pierce, who talked about he's known as an LA commodity is an NBA Commodity Hall of Famer. Now he's doing the podcast and sports commentary thing. This is what he had to say on one of the podcasts about this that and the other about marriage and I about lost it. I'm gonna play it for you and want to get your thoughts hopefully have the right clip.
Speaker 8: Because I feel like aur relationship shouldn't be based off sex. But every relationship is based off of that.
Speaker 4: I don't think, so you can't.
Speaker 3: Tell me nothing different.
Speaker 8: This is what I feel and that's why I'll never be in another relationship because it's always.
Speaker 3: Based off of that.
Speaker 7: So you're not going to be in another relationship, no for.
Speaker 8: What, because it's gonna be based off the sex. On's that way down. You're gonna go fud somebody else that's better. Yeah, but they ain't gonna be based off of this. This is the thing. And listen careful.
Speaker 2: Now, I want you to listen to this condescension and dismissiveness here.
Speaker 3: And listen carefully. Listen carefully.
Speaker 8: Let me say you what marriage is all about, or let me say what marriage is and who's marriage for marriage is for old people and poor people.
Speaker 7: Okay, so let's get into that.
Speaker 8: Why Because when you broke our parents, like my mom's and all them, they married on a marriage of like, Okay, we're gonna put our incomes together and have all these kids and then with our kids. We have five ten kids back in the sixties, all of them they got five to ten kids so they can work and bring income. Yeah, so you poor, So you married for that, and now when you get old, somebody that to beat all your side to take care of you. Right now, my moa got married. My mom's never been married in my lifetime. She got married when she was seventy.
Speaker 7: Wait wait, wait, and he's still alive.
Speaker 2: Wait wait wait, my mom has never been married in my lifetime.
Speaker 7: Is he talking to us from the great mind?
Speaker 2: And I dismissed that my mom has never been married in my lifetime.
Speaker 4: She got married when she was.
Speaker 3: My mom's never been married in my lifetime. She's got married when she was seventy.
Speaker 7: So life is over. Life is over for him. He's done now.
Speaker 4: How can those two things be true at the same time.
Speaker 3: My mom's never been married in my lifetime. She got married when she was seventy.
Speaker 7: And he said it was such confidence. It's the confidence.
Speaker 2: But he was talking about Listen, listen right here, I'm going to explain this and break it down for you.
Speaker 3: My mom, I've never been married in my lifetime. She got married with shee was seventy.
Speaker 2: Wow, And she's saying wow, because Paul Pierce, you're not the You're the dullest pencil in the box.
Speaker 4: But what is your takeaway?
Speaker 7: Well, first of all, isn't Paul Pierce married?
Speaker 2: No, he is divorced. He had three kids, got married into twenty ten.
Speaker 7: So did he get married because he was poor at that time?
Speaker 2: Maybe he's a philosopher now he obviously has a degree of wisdom about marriage, and he's using that to further spread his knowledge. I don't know, but this is a guy who was caught when he was working for ESPN.
Speaker 4: He works for Fox. Now.
Speaker 2: When he was working for ESPN, he had a like a strippers party, and he was live streaming his strippers party with booties in his st I.
Speaker 7: Was calling more booties, yeah to the party.
Speaker 4: And I think he was married at that time.
Speaker 7: Yes, I remember that.
Speaker 6: So you know, I think some people in the chat that announced that their departing might take advice from Paul Pierce on marriage. But I don't think anyone with common sense would because again, this is a man who said that his mom hasn't been married in his lifetime, and then he's still here. This is a man that you stopped listening to anything. If he if he says the sky is blue, you need to go outside and look for yourself because you cannot trust what he's saying. But what he's really saying is I'm jaded. I am a man who I married for sex and then and she probably she might have married him for money. Maybe maybe, but then when the money, when the money and the sex was enough, and then maybe she left.
Speaker 7: Now he's just bitter.
Speaker 6: And now he's saying, no one gets married for any other reason. No one could possibly get married for love or to start.
Speaker 2: A family, right, you know, because if you get married in your twenties, it's not because your poorness, right, sily right, And that's the poor man's mentality.
Speaker 6: Yes, And the math and math, and he said, you get married when you're young so you can have a whole bunch of kids, so then they can work and bring in money. Do you know how long you have to provide for those children before they can work?
Speaker 4: At least twenty twenty five years.
Speaker 7: The math is not mathing.
Speaker 3: My mom's never been married about lifetime. She married when she was seventy.
Speaker 4: I'm going to keep that forever.
Speaker 7: She it might have been he might have Go ahead, Sam, you gonna.
Speaker 4: Say, I gotta say this.
Speaker 9: It sounds like I was saying to myself from the beginning, I saying, Wow, it sounds like he's never really had an intellectual connection with any of his romantic partners throughout his life.
Speaker 4: No, but I think I might be swinging backwards on this one.
Speaker 9: I think no woman is intellectually connected with him, right if he's seen stuff like my you know, you know, my mom has never been married in my lifetime and now she's married at seventy.
Speaker 2: But Sam, you are the resident sex doctor. Okay, so you're looking at this through a different prism that maybe the rest of us. He Paul pires has invoked sex as in the principal reason why anyone gets in any relationship. He didn't even say marriage, He just said relationship. Yeah, and that is the arbiter of whether he stays or or he moves on. That says to me that he has a fractured mentality and a warped mentalities around any type of quote unquote healthy relationship, maybe after thirteen years in the NBA and dealing with groupies on top of his wife.
Speaker 9: Not In addition to well, it's also the idea that it was a joke that Norm MacDonald came up with. You don't pay people for sex to stay over, you pay them to leave. And it seems like he's had enough with actual relationships and he's just looking because he has enough money to be able to pay for whatever sexual needs he has. He's not looking for any intellectual connection or partnership. That's why he's saying stuff like I think poor people have relationships, I think old people have relationships. He has the money, and he is still physically able to carry all those sexual desires out that he wants, and once he gets old, that's when he's gonna be like, Okay, I need to slow down.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna say maybe on that he's still able to carry out whatever because that well, he hadn't a lot because men who are able don't talk like Paul Pierce's back.
Speaker 4: I want to hear your thoughts on this.
Speaker 9: I think he's had a lot of trauma in his life and that's where it's all coming out, and his whole view of relationships it's just very skewed.
Speaker 6: And he could have been the one that he could be exactly who he says he is, and he could have had these toxic relationships. He's attracted women to him that maybe he had from having these let's have all these women that are for sale parties, and then maybe he got married to one. Who knows the reason, but he's definitely jaded, and now he just thinks that. And that's the problem with our society as a whole. You think that your circumstances dictate what everybody else is going through.
Speaker 2: And just because you experienced something, it doesn't make you an expert on the right thing. Having some experience doesn't make you the expert. I'm quite sure he's been with plenty of women. I don't doubt that at all, But he's definitely not an expert on connection or relationship or the merits of marriage.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: And if I were to ask him his thoughts on I don't know, twenty different other subjects, he probably would be on that same level as in barely coherent.
Speaker 3: My mom's never been married in my lifetime. She got married with seventy.
Speaker 7: Talking to a whole ghost.
Speaker 2: I don't know is Mom the ghost or is he the ghost? Because in his lifetime would seem to mention that he's.
Speaker 6: Dead now right, somebody's gone.
Speaker 4: Oh that much one more time.
Speaker 3: Mom's never been married in my lifetime. She got married with seventy.
Speaker 7: It's the confidence for me, like you know, listen, listen.
Speaker 8: So you poor, so you married for that and now when you get old, somebody that to beat on your side to take.
Speaker 3: Care of you.
Speaker 8: Right now, Mama got married. My Mom've never been married in my lifetime. She got married when she was seventy.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 7: No, not wow, it was the wow too, like she just wouldn't go.
Speaker 4: She was probably saying, wow, you are an idiot, right.
Speaker 7: Like who booked you?
Speaker 9: Wow?
Speaker 7: I can't believe you.
Speaker 2: Said that, after saying listen, listen, okay, it's Later with Mo Kelly, can't I Am six forty live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app and on YouTube.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty