Speaker 1: Now your host walking you up to first pitch. It's Tim Kashi.
Speaker 2: Dodger fans, and welcome in two mo. Rongo Casino Dodgers on deck. Hope you're well on this beautiful Friday evening here in southern California. You're world champion Los Angeles Dodgers ten wins, four losses on this season. After a tough two to four road trip that saw them drop two of three in Philadelphia and then two of three in Washington, d C. The Dodgers are back home to night for the start of a six game homestand first up a three game series against the Chicago Cubs. On Freddie Freedman Bobblehead Night, remembering his epic walk off Grand Slam in Game one of the World Series last October. Yoshi Yamamoto on the Mountain tonight in the series opener, first pitch coming up at seven to ten.
Speaker 3: Between then and.
Speaker 2: Now, we got a lot to cover here on Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. You're gonna hear from the manager himself. Dave Roberts will dive deeper into the pitching matchup. David Vassay's gonna check in with one of the old friends of the Dodgers and a fan favorite, Justin Turner. That's coming up. In forty five minutes, we got your Dodgers magical moment. I'll give you the prize Picks double Play of the Day. Shortly we'll visit with Kirsten Watson, and in just a few minutes we'll send it out to Steven Nelson and Rick Monday.
Speaker 3: In the Gallpin Motors Broadcast booth.
Speaker 2: And on Wednesday, in our nation's capital, the Dodgers wrapped up their road trip looking to avoid getting swept by the Nationals.
Speaker 3: Landon Knack got the start.
Speaker 2: He wouldn't go very far, but he got some early run support. Tommy Edmond a two run triple, the Dodgers led two to nothing, and then ty Oscar Hernandez double.
Speaker 4: That toy Oscar hitch one deep to the left center field alley. That ball's gonna get out of here.
Speaker 5: That's gone.
Speaker 4: First row home run for Tioscar Hernandez, a two run shot of the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Lead at Ford to nothing.
Speaker 6: Four batters up, four runners have scored.
Speaker 3: Dodgers with a four to nothing lead.
Speaker 2: On the ta Oscar Hernandez two run home run, his fifth of this season. However, Landon Knack would have his problems. In the first inning, he would give up three runs. In the third inning, the Dodgers starter would end up giving up two more as the Nationals took a five to four lead. The Dodgers' bullpen went to work. Jack Dryer, Anthony Bonda, Kirby Yates, Tenner, Scott Alex Vesia, and Blake Trinon went six and two third shutout innings, allowed just one hit, struck out seven along the way. They kept the Nationals at five while the Dodgers trailed all the way until the seventh inning, where they finally got to the Nationals bullpen. Andy Pajez club to a home run to left that tied the game at five. Then later ta Oscar Hernandez would give him the lead.
Speaker 4: Ready for the two pitch even Stay's put swang on an a line drive into right field of base hitd On Tony Scores, touching second and turning heading for third as Head and tai Oscar Hernandez with two outs and two strikes give the Dodgers a six to five lead.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you what tim In this inning, Andy Pajes, with one out was down no balls and two strikes. You got a slider, hit it for a home run and for Tascar Hernandez down in the count zero to two, he got a pitch to hit them. Knocks in the go ahead run.
Speaker 2: Harby I single for tay Oscar. Dodgers up six to five. Going to the bottom of the seventh, Tanner Scott's would have a one two to three inning. Alex Vesia would work around a walk in the eighth. Blake trying it had runners on first and third with two outs, but got out of it with the ground ball out. Dodgers come back and beat the Nationals on Wednesday, six to five. The top tier play the game, brought to by Arco quality, top tier gas for Lass. Kirby Yates was top tier. He gets to win. Blake trying to his second loss or second save. That is of this season. The Dodgers bullpen can't say it enough. They were fantastic for nearly seven innings of relief on Wednesday. Dodgers get the win, they salvage the series in Washington, d C.
Speaker 3: They're now ten and.
Speaker 2: Four on the year, and they're back home on this Friday night to start a three game series against the Chicago Cubs Yoshi Yamamoto on the mound, and with more we head out to the Galpin Motors broadcast booth as we say hello Steven Nelson and Rick Monday, guys.
Speaker 3: Excutive Kate's great to hear your voice of greing. Great to be.
Speaker 7: Back next to you, Rick Monday, and I know the Dodgers thinking great to be back home. A similar climate to what you guys experienced in Philly and in DC. No, but in all seriousness, it was not a great roach for the Dodgers. But they come home where they're still unbeaten, and more than that mode, they get Freddy Freeman back.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Big. How about timing? I was thinking this today because they started to line up very very early at Dodgers Stadium to try and get into the gates, either driving in or walking in. And so if Freddie Freeman comes off the injured list with his ankle, that's a great news. How about the timing, though, this is Freddie Freeman bobblehead now I'm talking about. Timing is absolutely perfect. That's exactly what we're looking at. But guess it's nice to have a ballgame where you say, hey, overcoats are optional, and that's the case tonight because it was chili and if you look at the biggest picture, the Dodgers have played rather chilly. Dave Roberts I've used this term before. Dave Roberts talks a lot about playing clean games where the offense, the defense, and the pitching really kind of goes smoothly. They didn't have too many of those opportunities on the road trip.
Speaker 7: No, no, And honestly, and in that eight and no start, it was awesome, it was so much fun. But really the home runs were masking a lot of the deficiencies that we've seen them seem bite them consistently through this year, especially on that road trip. They're getting away with it in the early going because of the home runs they were not on the road trip, especially against a great team like Philly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean the Dodgers, of you know, one of the things that they really need to do, and Yoshinobu Yamamoto is starting tonight, is to stretch it out a little bit more because the Dodgers' starters have not gone deep into game. They're averaging four in the third innings. That's the fewest in the National League. The cups come in the surprising Chicago Cubs. I mean, you look at it, they're leading the Central Visions. Things got underway today. Their pitching has been terrific. They have scored more runs coming into today's ball game than any other team in Major League Baseball. And who would have put their name at the top of the list. Yes, it's early, but still they're nine and six and really feeling their oats. And that's after getting swept in the Tokyo Series.
Speaker 7: The Dodgers outscored the Cups ten to four in that set, and then they have like a pretty grueling start to the year travel wise, but they have really started clicking of late, especially the prize trade acquisition this past offseason Kyle Tucker, formerly.
Speaker 6: Of the Houston Astros.
Speaker 7: But Yoshinoba Yamamoto will get the ball tonight in Gosh is he the perfect guy again to get back to your point about timing, He's the perfect guy that Dodgers can throw out there tonight opposite Matthew Boyd. Will dive into that pitching matchup when we talk to you again a little bit later.
Speaker 6: TC.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you. Nelly has been getting down the first pitch.
Speaker 2: Dodger fans, get your game Dave Meal on if Shaky'spizza Parlor or to your Shaky's Pizza Chicken and Mojo's right now at Shaky's dot Com. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, you were gonna hear from the manager Dave Roberts' pregame thoughts as the Dodgers are back home after a long six game road trip.
Speaker 3: We'll he's checking with David Vase.
Speaker 2: He'll go one on one with Justin Turner, will break down this pitching matchup.
Speaker 3: Your prize picks. Double play of the game up next.
Speaker 2: So we got your Otani are Ryan and we'll visit with Kirsten Watson as we lead you up to Dodgers and Cubs. That's all coming up right here. The world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio network.
Speaker 1: Is Lorongo Casino. Dodgers on Dodgers on Deck. Y'all on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Dodgers back home as they start a three game series.
Speaker 2: Against the Chicago Cubs on Freddie Freeman, Bobblehead Night, Yoshi Yamamoto and leftander Matthew Boyd. The pitching match first pitch from Dodger Stadiums coming up at seven ten.
Speaker 8: This is the Otani.
Speaker 4: Rewide, the official bank of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Otani rips one in the right field base hit and sho Hey Otani extends his major league best on base streak to twenty nine straight games. That goes back to September fourteenth of last season. Stretching the pitch coming to Muki, there goes show Hey for second base. Pitch is in there for a strike, no throw by Ruiz. It is stolen base number three for Otani.
Speaker 2: Showe Otani on Wednesday two for four on base three times and the stolen base there his third stolen base of the season.
Speaker 8: This is Kirston's Corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 2: Hey Kirson now joins us from the stadium. Brought to you by Cars for Kids. Ready to donate your old car? Give him a call at eight seven seven Cars for Kids right now, friendly agents are standing by to take your donation.
Speaker 3: That's Cars with the K to donate your car here soon.
Speaker 2: It's all about Freddie Freeman on this Friday Bobblehead night, and the Dodger first basement is back.
Speaker 9: I just want to tell you obviously when shoeo Tani has a bobblehead. There's a line down the hill that is now the same thing for Freddy Freeman. So I guess Freddy Freeman is basically shoe heeo TONI because what we saw coming into the stadium today it is insane. Only I guess only forty thousand fans are going to get the bobblehead, which is a lot, don't get me wrong, but people are here early. They are not playing games when it comes to this. Bobblehead's the world series one, of course, the iconic you know, bat in the air, I'm him moment essentially, So for Freddy the Bobblehead, that's a fun one. Charlie Freeman's actually gonna be throwing out.
Speaker 1: The first pitch.
Speaker 5: We saw him throw a strike last year.
Speaker 9: It seems like he is just getting older and older and he's soon going to be a big leaguer in front of our eyes. But he's going to be back out there and he's excited, and then his dad is the field finally after that kind of scary slip in the shower. So the fact that he's just good to go and back out is a really good sign for Freddie.
Speaker 2: I know he didn't want to go on the injured list, but it was probably the best thing for him, right, don't go on the road trip, get yourself off your feet for a week, and get really healthy for the main part of the season.
Speaker 9: If there's anything that Freddie Freeman takes just the most pride, and it is being a guy who posts and is available every single day. So for him not to be in the lineup these last ten days, that's been a tough one for him. But when you look at just how he's been feeling, he talked about how he puts so much work this offseason, just coming off of that surgery and trying to be ready for the Tokyo Series and putting himself in a good spot during spring training that actually when the team was here for the Tiger Series at opening weekend, he was saying that by Game three of that series, I'm starting to feel a little bit tight and just it's really smo of that just the the scar tissue in there. And so after the slip he had an MRI and it just showed that there was a little bit of fraying of that scar tissue. But in the kind of a weird way, it actually kind of loosened it up, if that makes sense, that he just feels more free than ever, whether it's you know, the ability to steal a base, which Dave Roberts did say he does not have the green light, so we'll see how that plays out in tonight's game, but Freddie does feel like if he wants to steal a base, he's not concerned about let me bee landing on it. In a weird way like these ten days just allowed for him to truly heal just a little bit more and to put himself where he can go out there and be that everyday guy again, and Dave Roberts does expect for him to be able to do just that.
Speaker 3: Moving forward when Freddie's back in the lineup.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers are a stronger lineup than a stronger team, and hopefully they get back on track with a win at home tonight.
Speaker 3: Kristen, we appreciate it. Well, check in with you after the game.
Speaker 2: Still to come here on Morago becauseino Dodgers on deck will dive deeper into this Friday night pitching match up.
Speaker 3: David bet Say goes one.
Speaker 2: On one with Justin Turner back home at Dodger Stadium with the Cubbies. We'll get you an injury report and we'll hear from the manager himself, Dave Roberts.
Speaker 3: It's the Dodgers and Cubs on this Friday night. First pitch is seven ten. I'm Tim Kass, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers Hunt game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Marongo Casino Dodgers on DECCAD ten news is we lead you up to first pitch on this Friday night, Freddie Freeman, Bobblehead Night. It's the Dodgers in Cubs, Morongo Casino Resort and Spa, a Grand Slam for good times. Yoshi Yamamoto and left hander Matthew Boyd. The pitching matchup. First pitch coming up at sevent ten.
Speaker 8: This it's the LA Dodgers Injury Report.
Speaker 2: Presented by UCLA Healthy, official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers, who've got thirteen players on the injured list. Make that twelve now that Freddie Freeman has been activated and in the lineup tonight, so that is certainly good news. Blake Snell on the il with the left shoulder inflammation Tony Gonsolin Evan Phillips, both in Triple A Oklahoma City, working their way back on minor league rehab.
Speaker 3: Assimon's Clayton kersh on the sixty day I L recovering from off season toe surgery. He is throwing bullpen sessions. Did what in Washington, d C? Last road trip? Let's head back out to Dodger Stadium and check out with the Dodgers skipper.
Speaker 10: Questions for Dave Dave?
Speaker 8: Can you just describe Dave? Can you talk about the pressure in the dugouts with Dave Roberts, how valuable, what really blessed days for him?
Speaker 11: Just f care ice, they were huge. I think I even talked to Freddy and he said that this is as good as he's felt pre that initial injury at first base. So, you know, given all that he's done gone through, I think it's gave him a little reprieve mentally physically to be back and we're excited to get him back in the lineup.
Speaker 3: Do you see him being back to that every day die or do you think.
Speaker 1: He might need to sit day here and there.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think it's a read and react situation. I think you know my thought initially is to run him out there every day. And we've got six days until we get the next off day, until I hear or see otherwise, And I think that's part of the kind of the thought of getting on the il, getting back to close to to then be able to be able to run out there every day.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Dave Roberts talking about Freddie Freeman, who is back activated off the injured list and right in time for his Bobblehead night. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll check out with David vad Say as we are leading you up to first pitch from Dodgers Stadium, Dodgers and Cubs.
Speaker 3: Tim Kats is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on Deck on your home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Cubs starting a three game set as a Dodgers back home to start a home standing Samamoto and leftender Matthew Boyd. The pitching matchup in the series opener Hill from Justin Turner coming up in about twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: First pitch coming up at sevent ten.
Speaker 8: Joining Tim Kats on Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 5: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 8: This is Dodger inside there. David bas Sill.
Speaker 2: Right, David back home at Dodger Stadium. Freddie Freeman didn't make the trip, but he's back off the il and he's ready to go.
Speaker 12: He was really excited to be back today, and certainly the night of his bobblehead has got Freddie Freeman even more excited that those ten days on the injured list while the team was on the road really made a huge difference from him for him, and we had a chance to talk to Freddie earlier today.
Speaker 13: So I've been running the bases last two days and I have no reservations about hitting a base or worrying about hitting it and rolling it. I feel as free as I possibly can be right now, way better than I have the last couple of weeks. So I have no reservations going into this game. I feel like I could steal a base. That's like, That's really how I feel like, So like if there's times on my side, I'm I'll be able to go now, and I feel really good about where my ankle is.
Speaker 12: I'm not sure if you saw the people lining up outside the stadium, that's Otani level babblehead status.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I got here at twelve thirty and they're already out there. I was kind of kind of crazy, and you know, I do appreciate it. I just want to say thank you. This is really cool. Charlie's really excited. He's throwing the first pitch tonight, So if you can make it two years ago throwing a perfect strike. But I do appreciate it. It's gonna be fun. It's awesome, and you know, my family's really excited about this bubblehead too.
Speaker 12: Freddy's excited because he's back in the starting lineup. It's the first time Tim that he's been on the injured list since twenty seventeen. It's not something that happens too often.
Speaker 3: David has driven by four or there's one thing we like its choices.
Speaker 2: Of course, find yours with the Ford F one fifty gas hybrid or all electric tough This morn can only be called F one fifty.
Speaker 3: Yoshi Yamamoto on the Mounta tonight, David.
Speaker 5: I don't like to brag Tim, but early in the season, so I will.
Speaker 12: I did pick Yamamoto for the National League Cy Young Award for a reason. There was just a different swagger about him. People that were around him early on in spring, even on the backfields watching his bullpens, always felt that there was so much more confidence coming from Yamamoto entering this season, not just the swagger walking into the clubhouse, to the to his locker and to the field, but just his demeanor on the backfields and his mound presence even in these games.
Speaker 5: And he's even.
Speaker 12: Added a new wrinkle to his pitch mix to try to help keep hitters off balance, and he's even incorporated a cut fastball that's been a big weapon for him early on in this season. And it's going to be interesting to see how Yamamoto attacks these Cubs hitters who he saw on opening day in Tokyo.
Speaker 3: That's right, second time around for Yoshiamoda. DEVI appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Dodger fans celebrate ninety years of horse racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday, with millions in payouts every race day.
Speaker 3: This weekend, they're.
Speaker 2: Taking a break from racing in Santa Anita, but don't miss out next week the biggest derby party west of Kentucky Mother's Day dining in free Fridays with drink specials. Go to Santa Anita dot com. Slash you fents coming up here on Dodgers on Deck. You're gonna hear from Red turn two, Justin Turner, that's coming up shortly. We'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. What up next to your Dodgers Magical moment? M maybe involves Justin Turner. Dodgers Cubs first bitch coming up at seven ten. I'm Tim kas It's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Networks.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 8: It's the Dodgers and.
Speaker 2: The Cubs, start of a three games set from Dodgers Stadium. Dodgers back home after a two and four road trip at ten and four overall, a Yoshiamamoto and leftander Matthew Boyd.
Speaker 3: The bitching matchup. First pitch sent from the ravine at seventen I do it had a ball game.
Speaker 4: Without a hot dog?
Speaker 8: Who ws a hot cod It's time for the Hawfy Magical Moment. It's Magical presented by Hawby Hot Dogs.
Speaker 3: Dodgers taking on the Cubs.
Speaker 2: We go back to twenty seventeen, Game two of the National League Championships Series, Dodgers taken on the Cubbies Justin Turner with the ball that everybody saw go out and shook Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 14: Turner in the postseason with the Dodgers is twelve for seventeen during the regular season. Three walk off hits Turner for the football the center field.
Speaker 15: It's way back at the wall. A three run walk off home for Justin Turner. The Dodgers are up two games to none and they are going crazy.
Speaker 2: Hey, walk off three run home run Justin Turner had Dodgers Stadium shaking.
Speaker 3: It was electric that October night.
Speaker 2: Dodgers beat the Cubbies in Game two on the walk off home run from Red turn two, and they go on and win the NLCS. You'll hear from Justin Turner coming up in about fifteen minutes, the Hofey Magical Moment, brought to you by Hofey Hot Dogs. Haffey so Cow's local treasure for nearly one hundred years. Hoffy hot Dogs, local and so great. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, you're gonna hear from Rick Monday and we're gonna get you to the Price Picks Double Play of the Day. It's all coming up as we lead up to Dodgers and Cubs.
Speaker 3: I'm Tim Kasis, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Casino, Dodgers on, Dodgers on deck y'all on the official home of.
Speaker 8: La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's a Dodgers and the Cubs, Yoshi Amamoto and Matthew Boyd.
Speaker 3: The pitching matchup.
Speaker 2: First pitch from Dodgers Stadium is coming up at sevent ten.
Speaker 14: Got him with the two for one hard shot to third, throw us the second hocke first double what double total triers.
Speaker 8: This is the Price Picks double Play of the Day.
Speaker 2: Millions of baseball fans and me are playing daily fantasy sports and Prize Picks. Download the Prize Picks app, it's free and sign up using the code Go Blue. Dodger fans, go right now and sign up Go Blue to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars lineup.
Speaker 3: That's go blue.
Speaker 2: When you sign up at Prize Picks, It's so easy. You just pick more or less on at least two players for a shot to win, whether it's strikeouts, RBIs, walks, total bases, singles, you pick more or less a prize picks, Join me Prize Picks using the code go blue. Let's go Freddie Freeman more or less half a single. I'm gonna say more for Freddie Freeman in his return, more or less half a single. Will Smith he's due as well. I'm gonna say Will Smith more or less a half a hit. I'm gonna say more for Will Smith. So Will Smith more a half a hit and Freddie Freeman more or half a single.
Speaker 3: That's it for the Prize Picks. Double play of the day.
Speaker 2: Don't forget use the code go blue when you sign up Prize Picks, run your game.
Speaker 1: And now joined by David Bass saying, here's La Dodgers broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 5: Rick.
Speaker 12: The weather is certainly warmer here in La than it was on the road trip, and the Dodgers are hoping they can warm up as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they need to warm up the batch. The other point two is they need some innings from starting pitching. Let me you start to look at what the Dodgers, the starters have done. You know, they have averaged just the four and the third innings and that's the fewest by starting staff in the National League. In a contrary to that, you start to look at the Cubs. Surprising. Chicago comes to a lot of different people. They're playing very good baseball and they do not want to take their foot off the accelerator here in Los Angeles.
Speaker 12: The last time we saw the Cubs was in Tokyo, and it felt like the Dodgers were in a different weight class.
Speaker 4: Than the Cubs.
Speaker 6: Yep, last time you saw them, they were in Tokyo. The last time I saw them, they were a monitor in El Segundo.
Speaker 5: Hey, well, now you'll get to see them in a living.
Speaker 6: Color exactly, and we'll do it and a lot of living color.
Speaker 11: Hey.
Speaker 6: By the way, we talk about umpires a lot during during broadcast, and not to hammer the point on umpires. We talked, Look, they're like they're like hitters, they're like pitchers. They have good days, they have bad days. They're indifferent whatever it might be. And I will say this, Major league umpires are very very good. I want to point out one particular umpire yesterday who did something. It was only the second ever since twenty fifteen when they started to look at umpires scorecards, if you will, on the accuracy and congratulations to Mark Ruppergord who scored one hundred percent on cald balls and called strikes in his ballgame yesterday Minnesota against Kansas City. That is really amazing. We've seen a couple of guys that have gone one hundred percent so far this year of maybe called strikes. For Mark Repertuer, one hundred percent across the board, pitches in the strike zone and pitches out of the strike zone.
Speaker 12: My first thought when I saw that was was he one hundred percent accurate in real life or was he one hundred percent accurate to the computers scoring that umpires are graded upon. Because pitchers are complaining there isn't a top part of the strike zone anymore.
Speaker 6: Agreed. I agree, and I've talked about it as well. When you see that little box when you're watching on tele you see that little box, that box upstairs at the top of the strike zone is not indicative of the strike zone. Did that particular batter because it's supposed to be the height and the low level according to the stance, the normal batting stance that that particular hitter takes.
Speaker 12: Here's a question pitchers have been asking me because they always thought the top part of the strike zone was usually at the batter's letters of the name of the team they're wearing.
Speaker 5: Where is the top of the strike zone.
Speaker 6: That's a good point. If you look at the rule book, it's just underneath the armpits. I had an umpired tell me is a number of years ago. In fact, it was Bruce Freming. I would imagine that Bruce Freming, who umpired all of those thousands of games in his career, would understand. I asked him once. I said, Bruce, where is the top of the strike zone? He goes, well, forget what it says in the rule book. He said, the top of the striking mode. If you look at the belt buckle and you were to stack three baseballs, one on top of the other, on top of the other. And I looked at him, at Bruce, the pitch is not called that high, even three baseball heights above the belt buckle. It's lower than that or what is really being called.
Speaker 12: That's what pitchers are telling me, Rick, that the top of the strike zone now is being called just above the belt buckle. Nothing that you're describing, whether it be the armpit or three baseballs above the belt.
Speaker 6: Well, there's a few things, quite frankly in the rule book, And I brought this up the last year to a couple of different umpire supervisors that Baseball needs to look at their own rule book that they publish. Yeah, because it's wrong in some of the areas, and is wrong upfront in a couple of areas. So now the umpires have a more in detail list of all the different rules they're Major League Baseball. But I still believe that the strike zone is still mysterious. Yes, it has to be interpreted by different different umpires. Umpires are like a lot of hitters and pitchers. Some pitchers and hitters curveball is right on track, they've got it. To others, no, it might as well be three dimension of chests because they can't figure it out.
Speaker 5: So basically, you're saying the rule book is a mystery book that we can all enjoy.
Speaker 6: And by the way, the Dodgers post who the umpires are for that particular game, and they know full wells who the umpire is tonight, and I guarantee you they also know tendencies inside outside up and down.
Speaker 5: Hey, I know your tendencies. Rick, thanks a lot for stopping by.
Speaker 6: Yeah, get out of here.
Speaker 5: Well, check in with you and Stephen Nelson later. Tim will send it back to you.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks a lot, Mo, thanks a lot of DV As we cut you down to first pitch. The Dodgers game plan is brought to you by your California Community college Financiela and available to help you there with tuition, books and yeah sometimes even the rent. Time to take that next big step, Dodger fans class is going to build quickly.
Speaker 3: So on roll today and I can go to college dot com.
Speaker 2: Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll get you a preview this bitchy matchup.
Speaker 14: Rick.
Speaker 2: We'll be back with Steven Nelson before first pitch and gets you the keys of the game. But up next Red Turn two, Just turner, we'll hear from him. We come back because we lead up to Dodgers and Cubs on this Friday night. I'm Tim kats Is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Cassino Dodgers Hunt game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Z and Cubbies Yoshi Yamamoto and Matthew Boyd. The pitching match up Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Zen She hand Crafted sushi, made fresh on site daily by professionally trained sushi chefs with precision, passion and at tradition. You can taste, enjoy it before, during, and after a game. It's quick and affordable. The whole family can enjoy it. Tuna rolls, salmon rolls, timper shrimp, my personal favorite, the mango crunchy dragon role. It's really good and they got the poke bowls as well. Find Zen Sheet near the deli counter at Ralph's Zen She Handcrafted Sushi, always fast, fresh and easy.
Speaker 8: Will likely be vess a fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 3: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 8: This is high and tight.
Speaker 12: I'm in uncharted territory here, but with a familiar face. He's wearing blue, it's Cubs blue, but he still got the ginger beard and that is forever Dodger.
Speaker 5: Justin Turner JT. Great to see you, good to see it to us.
Speaker 10: Good to be back in southern California.
Speaker 12: Hey, we got this kick started the right way with the selfie you and a drink Gonzalezes made that famous in La.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we didn't do it on an iPhone though we did it on Ah.
Speaker 5: What are those called disposable camera?
Speaker 10: Are you going disposable camera while you're old enough.
Speaker 5: To know what those are?
Speaker 10: So are you?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Man, it's great to see that big smile on your face. Let's go back to that. Actually, the selfies you and a drink, Gonzalez and the culture you guys created here. How proud are you that it's still living on to this day.
Speaker 10: I've been fortunate enough to play with a lot of great baseball players and a lot of guys who are very pomplish on the field, very accomplished off the field, and but on top of that, you know, there are great people and kind of taught me how to be a great person, be a great teammate, be good to guys in the clubhouse. And you know, Adrian was one of those guys that was exceptional with getting guys together and team dinners and appreciating the little things that happened in the game, the moments in this game that happened. And you know, the selfie thing I think caught on pretty quick. And was pretty cool. And I still to this day have people come up to me and say, hey, can we get a selfie like you and Gonzo? So that's pretty cool. And I think just you know, over the years, watching the culture in that room over there change and watching the shift in a comfort for young guys coming up, comfort for new guys getting traded over seeing how they can seamlessly kind of just fit in right away from day one and jump right in and be impactful. And there it really like, you know, kind of minimize the not so much to the learning curve. I think everyone has a learning curve when they get to this level or when they get to a new team trying to figure everything out. But the comfort level of being accepted knowing that, hey, I just got to go out here and do what I do best and and that's all these guys want from me.
Speaker 5: And to see that, uh, you know, as far as I know, it's still.
Speaker 10: Being carried carried over over there, and you see new guys come into that clubhouse and jump in and have an impact right away.
Speaker 8: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 12: So from this side looking in now you've seen this Dodger ownership do a lot of different things. Half a billion dollars was spent this offseason. There's spent a lot of talk about it. From your perspective, what do you think about this version of the Dodgers the last couple of years.
Speaker 10: Hey, is a commitment to winning. You know there there's rules, the same rules are in play for everyone, and I don't I think it's great. I think it's great for the game to have owners that you know, are all in and and want to go out and make their team as good as they can possibly make it. And it doesn't matter how many top tier free agents are out there, they they want to bring them all in. And obviously, with you know the success the Dodgers have had over the years, you know a lot of guys you don't want to come and be a part of it.
Speaker 5: So you know, it's good to see.
Speaker 10: You kind of hope that more teams will you know, fall in line to you know, competing in the free agent market and trying to make their team as competitive as possible as well. But you never know what's going to happen. I've heard all kinds of stuff and all kinds of takes and angles on it, but you know, the rules are the rules, and they're playing by the rules, so you know, if you don't like it, you know, maybe following their footsteps.
Speaker 12: You still have so much to offer the game, so don't take this the wrong way. Everybody wants to know when is the last dance? We all want you back in LA in some capacity. But what is your mentality as you go year by year?
Speaker 14: Now?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I don't know. I think.
Speaker 12: You twisted your neck when I asked you that. I'm not pushing you out of the game. No, no, I don't think you are. And I want to play as long as I can. And but I don't know if oh, here comes JMO and you're in the seat, so I'll get up, I'll just stand up.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't know if I want or I've never been one to want.
Speaker 5: Like a spotlight shined on me or the accolades.
Speaker 10: I don't love talking about myself or hearing it. So I'm going to play this game as long as I can. And I don't know if I want to announce a retirement tour and go through all that.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I deserve that.
Speaker 10: I've seen guys, you know, like Miguel Cabrera and Albert Poolhols and you know, just absolute.
Speaker 5: Icons of the game. They're the ones that deserve that.
Speaker 10: I don't necessarily know if that's something for me, but it's definitely something I don't want even if it were the case. So I'm just gonna keep going day by day and playing as long as I can, and whenever the time comes, you know, then then I'll make that announcement.
Speaker 12: Hey, the Dodger mantra with you and Rich Hill used to be be where your feet are, stay in the moment. It sounds like you're living the words of the great Rich Hill.
Speaker 4: That is so true.
Speaker 10: And I love Dick Mountain. He's the man, and I think he'd be a great co host for you on Dodger Talk if you're looking for somebody. I don't know how much Drey's doing it anymore.
Speaker 5: But maybe a rounder you, me and Rich Hill, Oh man, that.
Speaker 10: Would be you get some great content.
Speaker 12: And now, oh hello, thanks a lot for the time, and today's a great Friday. You receive a gift card to Travis Matthew for being our pregame guest.
Speaker 10: You know how many interviews I've done with you that you've told me I'm getting stuff and I don't think.
Speaker 5: I ever get it. It's in the mail.
Speaker 10: Yeah right, you don't even have my ad.
Speaker 3: I would never give you my address.
Speaker 12: It's great to see you, and I'm sure there'll be another celebration the three games because you left an indelible mark here in Los Angeles. But enjoy your time in the Windy city. I'll see you next week too.
Speaker 4: Oh man, Thanks Dave.
Speaker 10: It's always a pleasure talking to you. But please don't come over to the home flob house next week.
Speaker 12: Yes, indeed, Justin Turner will receive a gift card from Travis Matthew. Travis S Matthew Apparel designed for confidence and comfort no matter where the day takes you. Travis Matthew has you covered. Visit Travismathew dot com and received twenty percent off your first order.
Speaker 5: When you sign up for email, Tim I will deliver.
Speaker 3: I hope you do. Dv Red turn two deserves it.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by our friends in Shaky's Pizza Parlor.
Speaker 3: Friday night.
Speaker 2: No better time to get some pizza and the official pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio broadcast. When it's Game nin it's group night at Shaky's dot Com. Coming up, we'll dive deeper into this pitchy matchup.
Speaker 3: Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: First pitch coming up at seven to ten from Dodgers Stadium. I'm Tim Kats's World champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Longo Casino, Dodgers on deck on your home for the Blue all season log good Law.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers in Cubs on this Friday night, the start of a three game set.
Speaker 3: Freddie Freeman Bobblehead Night. First pitch coming up at seven ten.
Speaker 1: And now before the Dodgers hit the dineck, we look at the pitching matchout.
Speaker 2: Coresent about your Southern California Toyota dealers work hard, play hard in a New Tacoma with an I Force turbo charged engine, a truck built for the Bowl.
Speaker 3: See youre a Toyota dealer today, they make it easy.
Speaker 2: Matthew Boyd on the Mountain, thirty four year old left hander, six round pick of the Blue Jays in twenty thirteen out of Oregon State, eleven season the Big Leagues, Blue Jays, Tigers, Mariners, Guardians, and now his first with the Cubs, making his third start this season last time out, six shutout innings, five hits, five strackouts in a no decision against the Padres. Yoshanobu Yabamoto on the mound, twenty six year old right handed out of Japan, making his fourth start. He tossed the Dodgers' first quality start of the season last time out on April fourth at Philadelphia, six innings, giving up one earned run, three hits, three walks while striking out five in a loss. Facing the Cubs for the fourth time in his career, second time this season. He saw them over in Tokyo in the opening series five innings, giving up one run on three hits while striking out four in a win. Dodgers cub fifteen minutes away from first pitch, keys to the game. Our next, I'm Tim Katson's World campion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's Dodgers and Cubs on this Friday night. Yoshi, I'm a moto on the mount. First pitch is seven to ten. When the Boys in Blue play at home, it's important that they have the right plan to protect their house, and they're undefeated at the Ravine so far this season. That same applies to your home. Always have a plan and follow fire safety tips. For example, user install ignition resistant materials around your home. Use fire resistant materials when building a deck, replace events with imber and flame resistant vents. To find out more about these tips and others, visit fire dot CA dot go. Let's head back out now, Steven Nelson Rick Monday one final time before first pitch, guys.
Speaker 7: All right to him back here with mo the Dodgers kicking off a six game home stant at Dodgers Stadium, where they've won nine in a row. The last loss at home mod you got to go back to the championship series in the last postseason against the Mets Game two.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And they've done a very good job here at home. They like the home cooking, no question about that. And now they need to get back on track and put another string together. The Cubs have really kind of taken on a persona of the Dodgers last year, and by that I'm talking about they had not expanded the strike zone and they do take some walks. And for Yamamoto getting the start tonight. You know, you can hope that he can repeat what he did earlier talking about he had that start in Tokyo against the Cubs and that would be able to you know, picked up the win, went five innings and at opening opening endeavor. So yeah, we need the pitching for this Dodger boat club and full well expected. I think the other part too is Dodgers need to get in the cubs bullpen because they've they've struggled at this point.
Speaker 7: They have one quick question will hit you with about Yamamoto in that start against the Cubs. He was terrific, especially with first pit strikes and the tucks. The Cubs really had a tough time rather with Yama Modo splitter. So if you're put yourself in the club's clubhouse, which I know you've been in your career, and you're facing a guy that kind of dominated against you in Tokyo, and are you expecting more of the same. We're you expecting a different game plan? How do you attack them?
Speaker 6: By the way, they didn't see that idea. That b was all over all over me. That's what you call operating under pressure.
Speaker 3: I got I got him before it got me.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, I didn't know you can move that quickness. But an answer to your question, we'll try and get back to baseball. Great moves. By the way, thank you very much. You weren't even dancing, but you were your light on your feet. But the Cubs they have the highest walk rate too, so I would imagine that they are going to make Yamamoto throw that splitter a little bit closer to the plate than what they were swinging at in Tokyo.
Speaker 7: Gosh, that splitter, it floats like a butterfly and.
Speaker 6: States like a being like you have to get the beekeeper over from Phoenix.
Speaker 7: We'd be here for two more hours and we don't have that kind of time. You mentioned the Cubs bullpen. I think that's apropos because Matthew Boyd, the left handed starting pitcher, he's faced the Dodgers twice. They saw him last year when he was with the Guardians, and he's given him relative fits limited experience or exposure, I should say for Boyd against the Dodgers, but he along with shelte Imanaga, they've really they formed this one two punch. But outside of that, the pitching staff has let a lot to be desired for Craig counsel.
Speaker 6: And Boyd has protected himself. Also, he's not given up a base hit with a runner and scoring position this particular point. The other part two is there's not been one stolen base attempt against the lefty either.
Speaker 7: Wow, the run game is something huge to watch the night tim as we get it back to you. The Cubs lead all of baseball with twenty five steel and that's in twenty six attempts. Now, meanwhile, the Dodgers they've allowed fifteen steals in sixteen attempts. So the running game, the game within this matchup, which kicks off shortly game one of this three game set at the Ravine.
Speaker 3: All right, first pinches, next, enjoy it.
Speaker 2: I'm Tim Katson's been Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network