Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: A bunch of stuff going on.
Speaker 3: At eleven o'clock, we'll talk about a lot of stuff going on in DC today, specifically some of the cabinet appointees that are now being confirmed. Senate confirmed RFK Junior as Health and Human Services Secretary today. They also confirm Brooke Rollins to serve as the Secretary of Agriculture. On a seventy two to twenty eight vote, the Judiciary Committee voted along party lines to advance the nomination of Cash Ptel for FBI Director, and then Linda McMahon. President Trump's choice for Education Secretary is undergoing some of her confirmation hearings today. New York's Governor Kathy Hochel has postponed a meeting that was supposed to take place today with the President because the Justice Department revealed it was suing New York State over this sanctuary status. Kathy Hokel had planned to meet Trump for lunch, but is a rescheduled for sometime next week. According to CBS, comes just hours after the DOJ sued the entire New York State with a lawsuit over its policy of limiting cooperation with federal immigration enforcement. And this is a new sanctuary city I'd never heard of before. Worcester, Massachusetts. Worcester, Massachusetts City Council has approved a petition to declare the second largest city in Massachusetts a sanctuary for transgender and gender diverse people after hearing from residents. Footage from the public comments session of this week's meeting went viral across social media, clips showing people speaking passionately about the need for Worcester to become a sanctuary city for transgender people and suggesting that people in the administration are Nazis. So there is a sanctuary city in Worcester, Massachusetts. Rain, the biggest punch from this storm is expected this afternoon, sometimes say between four o'clock and nine o'clock for La County. If you get into Orange County Inland Empire, in parts south like San Diego County, it's going to be shifted a little bit later than that, by a couple of hours. But the potential for mudslides is serious, to the point that they have called for evacuation warnings in several of the burn areas, whether it's Palisades fire, the eaten fire over an Altadena and other places as well. Now we are expecting an update from President Trump at the White House.
Speaker 2: He's holding a news conference.
Speaker 3: One of the things that he's going to talk about is some of the work that the Department of Government Efficiency has been doing, but also the reciprocal tariffs that he had been talking about for the last couple of days. So when that happens, we'll bring that to you. But Elon Musk was busy today. We've told you about Elon Musk and the Department of Government Efficiency. He's going in and looking for what he calls the worst of government waste and fraud and abuse.
Speaker 2: And he was on a video call today to the.
Speaker 3: World Government's summit in Dubai and described the priorities of the Trump administration. He actually was using because of the way he speaks. It's kind of a stilted a very smart guy, but it's kind of a stilted way that he uses language. Discussed thermonuclear warfare. He also talked about the dangers of artificial intelligence, but got back to a theme that he mentioned on Tuesday when he was at the Oval office. Remember that the image of him with his son standing next to President Trump at the resolute desk. He referred to the need for us to actually live in a democracy and not a bureaucracy. That when the bureaucracy holds all of the power, or an outsized amount of the power, we are a bureaucracy and not a democracy. He also talked about the need to cut government agencies. In fact, use the term delete entire agencies.
Speaker 4: This is roughly four and fifty federal agencies of one kind or another. That's more agencies. That's almost that's almost an average of two agencies per year since the formation of the United States. So, I mean, how many agencies do you really need to run a country? I'm ninety nine, not four hundred and fifty, that's for sure. It's kind of like if leaving a weed, if you don't remove the roots of the weed, then it's easy for the weed to grow back. But if you remove the roots of the weed, it doesn't stop weeds from ever going back, but it makes it harder.
Speaker 3: So there has been a lot of discussion about what is going on with dose. It seems like at the beginning of the week there was security concerns about whether or not the computer programmers that he's brought in, these coders that are looking through government code, whether it's Department of Treasury, Department of Defense, Medicare, Medicaid, any of these different agencies. There was concern that those guys were going to have access to things like social security numbers, healthcare information that should remain private. Pension information for example, that should remain private. And there has been concern about it, but no evidence that that's actually taking place. And there's a difference between the two of them. Yeah, I'd be concerned too if I was afraid that these guys had access to all of my personal information or my family's personal information. But there's no evidence that it's actually happening. There's just people saying that it might happen. Another thing that he talked about in this meeting today was the focus on eliminating DEI work, at one point linking it to artificial intelligence. Elon said, if hypothetically artificial intelligence is designed for DEI diversity at all costs as the ultimate thing, it could decide that there's too many men in power and execute them. Now, he's been one of those guys who has said AI is an existential threat to the survival of humans. He also said he believed that X's newly updated AI chatbot because he owned he owns Twitter, He's put together an AI chat bought like chatch ept. His is called Groc. The newest version of it, GROC three, he said, would be ready in about two weeks. He said at one point, it's kind of scary. That's not good. He also went on to talk about some of the business ventures that he's got in Dubai, like the boring company, Boring like boring a hole. He announced plans for a Dubai loop project, digging tunnels along the company, and then a later statement from Dubai's Crown Prince said that they are looking at the development of about a ten mile underground network of stations that could transport about twenty thousand passengers an hour. All of this is, I mean, that's all hypothetical, way up high in the sky kind of stuff at this point, and a little bit out of character. If you're going to be the Department of Government Efficiency, be that. Don't be the guy who starts talking about your business ventures in Dubai. You got one thing on your plate right now. And that's what you should be paying attention to. All Right, a little bit more about this limestone mind. Did you hear that he talked about a limestone mine where the government keeps all of its files on retired federal personnel. It's a real thing, and everybody is whatever fact checking has gone on has said, yeah, yeah, Alon's talking about a real place. We'll talk about that limestone mine we come back.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: We will at eleven thirty talk about how AI could help you plan the perfect last minute Valentine's Day. You know, if you're into that sort of a thing, might be a good idea to tell somebody that you want a thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Here's how you can pick it up.
Speaker 1: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 2: Pay.
Speaker 1: That's pay pay Enter it now at KFIAM six forty dot com, slash cash Howard by Sweet James Accident Attorneys. If you're hurting an accident, winning is everything, call the winning attorneys at Sweet James's one eight hundred nine million. That's one eight hundred nine million or Sweet James dot Com again.
Speaker 3: Pay is the keyword. We'll do it again an hour from now. Give you a chance to win one thousand dollars Gary.
Speaker 5: Every year about this time we always hear about this what we need to do for Valentine's Day. Now we have AI telling us.
Speaker 2: What to do.
Speaker 5: You know, we have an organ in our body that if we used it maybe we could get somewhere. It's called the heart. What does your heart tell you what to do? Not your little pea brain or the amount of money you have in your wallet. Say, let your heart guide you. And to quote that famous commentator, take the bra off, pull up your pants, and be a man.
Speaker 2: I forgot that one there. Pull up your pants, take off the pond, be a man.
Speaker 3: Our friend, Kevin Harlan, Okay, So we were talking about Elon Musk and the Department of Government efficiency. One of the things that he pointed out that he has found. I mean, it's not a big secret, it's not like it was covered up or anything. But one of the issues is that there is a limestone mine where the federal government keeps hard copies of records of employees who have or will be soon retiring there's.
Speaker 4: A limestone mine where we stole all the retirement paperwork. This mine looks like something out of the fifties because it was started in nineteen fifty five, so it looks like it's like a time warp. And then the speed, then the limiting factor is the speed at which the mind the shaft elevator can move determines how many people can retire from the federal from the federal government, and the elevator breaks down, and then I set them sometimes and then you can't. Nobody can retire. Doesn't that sound crazy. There's like a thousand people that work on this.
Speaker 3: He described it as being obviously it's very low tech because it's a limestone mine, and they're they're literally carrying folders of papers down to this giant filing system.
Speaker 4: Instead of working in a mind shaft and carrying manilla envelopes to you know, boxes. In a mind shaft, you can do practically anything else, and you would add to the goods and services of the United States in a more useful way.
Speaker 3: Yes, practically anything else. I mean, think about the digitization of that kind of record keeping. And he said that they've been trying to since the late eighties digitize all of this stuff.
Speaker 2: There's got to be a listen.
Speaker 3: The technology has changed quite a bit in the last forty years, and there's got to be a way to do this. The mine itself is located in just north of Pittsburgh and Butler County. It's called Cherry Township. Is the cool is the little place. It's got very cool temperatures and low humidity levels inside the mine. That's optimal when it comes to preserving items like this. And the Government Office of Personnel Management OPM does use Iron Mountain is what they call it, to process and store paperwork if federal workers retire. And he said the most number of people who could retire, possibly in a month, is ten thousand. This is what he's said on Tuesday, and he asked, why is that?
Speaker 2: Why is that possible?
Speaker 3: I mean, look at the number of people who signed up for this deferred retirement thing, this offer of eight months of pay. Seventy five thousand people over the course of a few days who signed up for this program. Now, he said in this news conference on Tuesday, the retirement paperwork is manual. It's on paper, it's manually calculated, it's written down and then it goes to this limestone mine and the speed at which the mind shaft elevator can move determines how many people could retire from the federal government. Now, there are plenty of people who said they don't actually have an elevator. The processing of this retirement paperwork varies case by case. No two retirements are the same, and it's going to change depending on the agency that they worked for, the position, and a bunch of different factors. So it's not as easy as saying it's just calculated and then stuck in an elevator. And they said that it's more than just federal paperwork. There there are treasures from they said, priceless treasures. Studios from Hollywood could rent out space and store the original master copies of classic movies. There are multiple places they can do that. It doesn't have to be in this mind but historical photographs, glass negatives, they said. There are even things like original recordings by Elton John. Businesses organizations also use the affility facility to store their digital data on servers that do exist down there. So the possibility does exist for the United States Retirement the Office of Personnel Management to use a more updated system and still do it at Iron Mountain. They don't need to sit there with minila folders and shove this stuff like they did, like it's, you know, God forbid the mid eighties. But it's one of those things that he has pointed out that is, yes, we've done it this way for a very long time, and yes it's possible to continue doing it that way, but just making some minor changes could potentially save lots and lots of money. So again, President Trump is expected to hold a news conference sometime soon from the White House about all of this, about reciprocal tariffs that have supposed to be coming up. But I figured this is a good day to talk about fire because it's kind of far from our minds because the amount of rain coming in. But the Army Corps of Engineer said that it's not going to order soil testing at the sites of the Eton and Palisades fire after they've been cleaned up. For one thing, it removes a giant hurdle for those people who want to get back and start rebuilding their lives in those areas. But there are some people who are concerned about the lack of soil testing. We'll talk about all of that we come back.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: The President's cabinet is being filled out. Specifically, the Senate confirmed RFK Junior is Health and Human Services Secretary today a he along with Tulsea Gabbard and then Cash Bettel, the three considered to be the most tenuous nominations that they were not expected to make it through, and at least two of the three have. Senate Judiciary Committee did vote along party lines to advance the nomination of Cash Betel.
Speaker 2: For FBI directors who he's closer to.
Speaker 3: A confirmation vote, Brooke Rollins is going to serve as Secretary of Agriculture. But one of the issues specifically with RFK and then also with Telsey gabbertist Director of National Intelligence, was Mitch McConnell. Eighty two year old guy, former leader of the minority leader when the Democrats had control, but also majority leader when his Republicans had control. This guy is old as dirt. He's been in a wheelchair in the last couple of times. He's the guy that used to freeze in these news conferences. He's literally been carried from wheelchair to car in the last few days, and it looks like he's just flipping double birds at Donald Trump on the way out. So we'll talk about what Mitch McConnell has been doing, specifically when comes to the cabinet picks and trying to but unsuccessfully, trying to put a speed bump in front of Trump's administration. So we are keeping an eye on the White House. President Trump is expected to hold a news conference from the White House here pretty soon. Among other things, he's going to be signing some executive orders. He's expected to talk about elon Musk and doge and also reciprocal tariffs. Well, now's as good time as any to talk about the fires because we're not worried about the fires today. We are worried about the potential for atmospheric river and the storms that are coming to bring some mud slides to those areas.
Speaker 2: But speaking of.
Speaker 3: The mud and the dirt that exists in those fire areas, the Army Corps of Engineer said that it's not going to order soil testing at the properties that have been damaged by the Eat and the Palisades fire after they've been cleared off by the private federal contractors, which is different than what they would do, different than what the Army Corp of Engineers is done in the past. They said, it's a way this soil testing the safeguard to ensure that there's no lingering contamination that's left after the cleanup. Federal and state officials have called for soil samples to be collected and analyzed at homes and schools cleaned by the work crews. It's called conformation sampling is the word the term that they use. It's intended to verify that the soil at these properties doesn't have any more toxic chemicals in it that would be above the state's legal limit for cleanup standards. Once the ash and rubble are removed along with six inches of topsoil. The standard practice is that that's six inches of top soil once it's removed from these properties that have burned most of the most of the most toxic chemicals would go with that top soil and then that's disposed of. But Army Corps officials said that taking the six inches of topsoil should be enough. They don't need to go back and test because it is so commonly believed that that six inch top soil removal is enough. At a news conference just yesterday, the Army Corps Colonel Eric Swinzon explain this decision. Said, the state does when the state does a request for direct federal assistance, they make it a FEMA and we get brought on to do a specific scope. And so these are the limits of what we can do under this disaster. And he says, these are our instructions and guidelines, and we have to stick to those guidelines. Now, county officials have said that that's probably not a great idea. They want to make sure that everybody is safe once they go back and start to rebuild. Catherine Barger, for example, said that we don't want to discount it. We're going to have to regroup and figure this one out. The executive director of California Communities Against Toxics, Jane Williams, says, if you're not willing to do confirmatory test sampling, that tells us they're willing to leave the properties contaminated. It also means that there is a desire to get back to these communities. There's a desire to start the rebuilding process as soon as possible because of the danger of dragging your feet and yes, you do want to make sure that it is safe enough for you to go back. As an example, the campfire in twenty eighteen up in Paradise, there was a company called Tetra Tech hired to test the soil on more than twelve thousand properties. After the cleanup cruise did that standard practice removing all the rebbel and then taking six inches of top soil, and about a third of those properties still had enough toxic chemicals in them that they were in excess of the cleanup standards, including things like lead and arsenic, And in light of the soil testing, workers did go back to those properties, in one case as many as five times to dig out more contaminated soil so that then they would meet the clean up standards set by the state. Without the soil testing, the army courses, they will not be going back to do any additional soil removal in the Palisades fire area or the Eaten fire area. So I mean, Barbara Ferrara says, that's a bad idea. So far, about seventy three hundred property owners and those two fires have filled out the forms to say they seventy three hundred, about ninety nine percent of them have opted for the Army Corps of Engineer to remove the debris and the contaminated soil rather than pay what's probably going to be a much more expensive route, albeit quicker, to have a private contractor come in and do it. So they've been supervising so far as these federal cleanup crews have been going in. They have been using excavators. They've been pulling large objects. Think about just think about it, the burned out cars, the washing machines, the big appliances, the water heaters, I mean, all these things that exist in these homes that have burned out and are just sitting on these properties. So they've tossed the debris into these freight containers. The crews that are wearing hazmat suits have been shoveling the ash into plastic garbage bags. And then of course they go in and, like we said, remove that six inches of top soil to try to get rid of most of the heavy metals.
Speaker 2: Or other contaminus that would pose a risk.
Speaker 3: But at this point the Army Corps of Engineer is not planning on doing it because they're not planning. They are going to remove the soil, but they are not going to do the testing. Then after that it's just it's probably just too much. There's too many properties that would be involved with all of it. The other issue is we had a brush with catastrophe. There were hundreds of jail inmates at a county facility up in the Castaic area that may have had to have been evacuated at one point during the hues fire that came out up near Lake Casteak. That would have been an absolute mess. Describe how close we got to just unlock on the doors for those guys.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Is it possible that a human body would able would be even able to endure a voyage all the way to Mars and back question mark. There's some discussion about the limits of space travel and just how far we might be able to go, So we'll talk about that when we get to Strange Science coming up at twelve thirty. Swamp Watch at the top of the hour, more about the cabinet picks that are now being implemented and if President Trump announces these tariff plans, the Reciprocal Tariff Plan and starts a news conference from the White house. The expectation was that it was going to be at about ten o'clock hour time, it hasn't started yet. Also a wellness segment next hour. The difference between running for a long time and running fast is there a difference in which one is going to be healthier for you. In terms of the fires, people are watching the fire areas today because of the rain that's going to be coming in. This afternoon is when it's going to get pretty heavy. The huge fire is the fire that broke out near Castaic Lake on January twenty second. You heard it here on the show. I don't know why fires start during our show, It's just a gift. But the fire started about five miles away from the Pitches Detention Center North. That's one of four lock up facilities that exists in the jail complex up in Castaic, the County Jail complex. And as the day went on, it grew quickly to five hundred acres to five thousand acres. It came so close to the facilities there in the Castaic Jail that about forty seven hundred inmates, three hundred guards inside all were within the evacuation zone. And what they didn't do was evacuate. Sheriff's Department did move a few hundred of the inmates from barracks outside not outside, but barracks to a sturdier concrete building, and then they were scrambling to find or borrow or steal or whatever they were going to do more transport buses in the event that they needed to organize a large scale evacuation. I mean a bus. You've seen those La County buses that are transporting guys back and forth A lot of times. I see them transporting guys back and forth from the jail complex downtown at to downtown LA and other places. A lot of those buses were out of commission that day, and at one point the flames of the Hughes fire were within about a mile of the jail before the wind died down before crews were able to fight back. The Sheriff's Department did not empty out the jails. They did not evacuate. They said after they evaluated the strategic options, the life safety risks, the defensible space around the jails, which there is plenty, they said it was better for them to shelter in place. And they described the Franklin fire, which was over in the Malibu area. Just last year, the Pepperdine University students, you remember they were told to stay on campus, stay take refuge in the library, for example, instead of running off campus into the fire, that they were safer to stay in the fire resistant buildings like the library. The students survived, obviously, the cast take inmates survived, obviously. But there are people who really pissed off that this didn't have a plan, that the Sheriff's department didn't have a plan in the event that the fire got any closer. A deputy director of the ACLU's National Prison Project said, but for the wind blowing in a different direction, there could have been a catastrophe that would have been unrivaled in terms of car cereal carcerol car carcerole deaths. And she also said this is nothing like Pepperdine. The college students are not locked in their dorm rooms by university officials like bad guys are when they go to county jail. She didn't say the bad guy's part, because she wouldn't. The Sheriff's department admits they haven't done any air quality testing in the jails, but the air filters that exist in the circulation system, the ac HVAC. They have been inspected, they have been serviced since the fire. They routinely test the water anyway to make sure that it's state guidelines.
Speaker 2: They have to do that. There was the La Times talks with one guy who was there. He was carcarole.
Speaker 3: He was justice aligned, no justice involved, that's what he was. And he was talking about eleven o'clock that morning. He's reading a book. He glances up at the TV and the most of the time it's on sports or movies or something like that.
Speaker 4: The TV.
Speaker 3: He doesn't control the channels, obviously, the guards do. He loses in in his book. He takes a shower, sits down and waits for lunch. And at one o'clock it's a little later than usual, and at that time the fires at about five thousand acres. The La County Public Defenders Union put out a call at about one o'clock that day for the jail to be evacuated. And it wasn't until mid afternoon that this inmate and some other guys in the dorm caught sight of the fire itself on the TV screen, and as soon as they did, they start calling out. They start calling home trying to get information because apparently they said the guards weren't giving them information. As the day went on, more disruptions, commissary orders didn't arrive. The smoke was growing thicker in and around the buildings nearby. At the high security North County Correctional Facility, they said black clouds loomed outside the little tiny windows. The jail officials locked down that facility, shut down the air circulation system to keep out the smoke. Other people started in this is inside the jail. They started figuring out, is there any way for us to break the windows and get out of here if the flames come too close? And rather than evacuating everybody from the jails there the four different facilities, they moved more people into the concrete areas they were outside of the Pitches Detention Center South because those are more exposed, and they moved them into the more hardened concrete structures that are going to be a lot more fire resistant. And again, it's pretty defensible, is the term I would use in terms of the spaceists that exists around there.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: They did run into an issue when they were trying to beg, steal and borrow whatever buses they could they knew that there were going to be a bunch of transport buses that were out of commission. It wasn't until ten pm, head count that this inmate realized that there were going to be no evacuations, and he said, that's when I started to worry. What if the building catches on fire. A little before midnight he goes to bed. He covered his face with an extra shirt to try to keep out the smoke, and by the time he woke up, obviously the worst of the danger had passed. The flames were seated. The Hughes fire, a few days later, was fully contained. In the Sheriff's department, they said, in the end they were able to find about one hundred buses. Some of them were going to be borrowed from neighboring counties, whether it's Current County to the north and Tura to the west, Orange and Riverside, etc. In San Bernardino, they said, the state prison system, the local public transit system also had buses that they were willing to offer up this week. Said in a budget presentation, the sheriff's officials said they're asking the county for eleven million dollars to buy eleven more buses next year, in addition to the twenty new buses that are covered in the current budget, because at this point they've got eighty two buses, but even those numbers will not cover the difference between the eighty two buses that we're supposed to have in La County and the eighty two buses that most of them or a lot of them are currently out of commission because they need to be worked on.
Speaker 2: But in the end, everybody's fine. There was not a problem.
Speaker 3: They did not have to they did not have to evacuate the jail, and the fire itself calmed down, so that's good news. In the twelve o'clock hour at twelve twenty, rebuilding after these fires is going to be a massive issue, and there are at least two recent fires that can teach us lessons about how and when we're going to be able to rebuild the Palisades area and Altadena after the Eaton fire, the Tubs fire out of Santa Rosa up in northern California, and then the Maui fires as well. We'll talk about those coming up at twelve twenty and what lessons we can learn about rebuilding.
Speaker 2: Swamp Watch is on the other side.
Speaker 3: You miss any part of the show, go back and check out the podcast anywhere you find your favorite podcast.
Speaker 2: To type in the words Gary and Shannon, We'll be right back after this. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.