Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Already really time to get up? Are you kidding me? Yes? It is time. This is your wake up call for Wednesday, March twenty sixth. Good morning, I'm Amy King, very excited one day away from Dodgers Opening Day. I'll be at the game, so I'm extra extra excited. My best friend is taking a train down from Pasa Robles, coming down. She's gonna hang out. It's gonna be a good time. Looking forward to it, and I'm going to be telling me about this during wake up call. But did you know that the Dodgers of the odds on favorite to win the World Series again? What he paid the most money for it? Bitter much?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Morning cono, Good morning, here's what's the head on wake up call. The LA City Council's voted to explore whether the city can contract directly with homeless service providers rather than go through the LA Homeless Services Authority. The joint City County agency has been accused of misusing billions of dollars in funding. The Pasadena School District has sued Southern California Edison, asking it to pay for school buildings burned in the Eton fire. An attorney representing the district says the lawsuit seeks fair compensation to recover the taxpayer resources and property lost in the wildfire. In January, National Security Advisor Mike Walts has taken responsibility for the editor in chief of The Atlantic getting access to a group chat with defense and other top and administration officials about US air strikes in Yemen. During an interview, Waltz implied, though Jeffrey Goldberg somehow deliberately appeared in the group, called the journalist a loser. The acting former Acting Undersecretary for Intelligence and counter Terrorism Coordinator at the US Department of Homeland Security is going to tell us why the signal app incident is really a big deal. ABC's John Cohen's going to join us in just a couple of minutes. Now's the time to get deals on Amazon. Who knew? And it's not even Cyber Monday, and our tiktok'd days really numbered. We're going to find out with the host of rich on Tech right here on KFI. It's rich Demro that's coming up at five point twenty and wake Up Call went out and about to take a look at some pieces of Hollywood history and guess what they could be yours. That's coming up at the bottom of the hour. And I hope you'll stick around for that because I was so geeking out seeing all these really cool things that are going to be auctioned off. I got to see props from some of my favorite movies. We're going to tell you all about it, including Ghostbusters and Superman and Back to the Future and Star Wars. Really cool stuff that it's going up for auction. Not auction starts today. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LA has taken a step toward keeping its homeless program spending exclusively at City Hall.
Speaker 6: The city Council's unanimous vote ask city staff to figure out how city Hall can bypass the LA Homeless Services Authority and contract with homeless service providers directly. City Councilwoman Monica Rodriguez says LASA hasn't handled its billions of dollars in funding properly.
Speaker 7: And there's a point where we just have to call an end to funding the failure.
Speaker 6: Recent audits have blasted LASA over its accounting practices and its contract policies, which often lack detailed expectations and metrics. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes is told county supervisors that state law is stopping ICE from being told about people being released from prison. Barnes says there were more than seven hundred ICE detainees requests last year, and some of the inmates ended up back on the streets committing crimes because of the law.
Speaker 8: The man from Mexico was arrested in the San La campastronic and possession of Meathan fata mean presenting a false idea to police on August twenty seven. He was re arrested again in San Ua Campistroana October twenty eighth for assault with a deadly weapon.
Speaker 1: Barnes said during his annual report on immigration enforcement that his department will not impede federal law enforcement officials from carrying out their responsibilities. Immigrant advocates have criticized the OC Sheriff's department for coordinating with ice at a higher rate than other counties. A Republican assemblyman from the Inland Empire says his bill to ban transgender athletes from competing in girls and women's sports is about putting things back to the way they used to be.
Speaker 9: Corona assembly Member Bill A. Saley's proposed legislation is due to be heard in the state Assembly on April first. He told kfi's John Cobel. Yes, before the law was changed ten years ago, boys and men did not compete against girls and women.
Speaker 3: There's an opportunity to have a real conversation here whether we have a co ed team, or we have a third category, or you know, give them some private facilities that they can use to change out in.
Speaker 9: The hearing will mark the first public debate on the issue since Governor Newsom said having trans athletes and girls' sports is unfair.
Speaker 1: Deborah Mark Ki five News. Let's say good morning now to ABC's John Cohen. John, the Trump administration has admitted that the editor in chief of the Atlantic was included on a group chat about upcoming attacks on the Hoothy Rebels. They are downplaying it, but you're saying this is this really is a big deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's a very big deal, and particularly it's a big deal for the families of the sailors and pilots that were involved in this operation. Look, military operations and intelligence operations are dangerous, and the person who are involved in the conduct of these operations put themselves at risk into in service to this country, and we owe it to the families and spouses to safeguard the information that can provide advanced warning of this operation. So, in this case, sensitive information regarding these planning efforts or was communicated amongst Cabinet officials on a commercial application, a commercial application that has been targeted for compromise by foreign intelligence services, and a commercial application that works on a cell phone, which quite frankly are easily compromised by foreign intelligence services. So we owe it to these personnel not to or to safeguard this information. So that means you don't discuss details of these observations in a bar, a restaurant, in front of your Alexa, on your cell phone, by text or via commercial apps. You do it over secured communication channels which the government maintains.
Speaker 1: So the question I have for you, John, is about those secured communications. So what other options do they have because we've heard that this signal app is used and was approved to be used, and was used by the previous administration too, to communicate.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, I heard that as well, and it's a little bit misleading. The use of commercial applications like Signal are allowed by some agencies under certain situations. Signal is an encrypted application, which is good for you or me, or the members of the public, journalists, private sector companies to use because they don't, unlike the government, maintain a massive communications infrastructure that provides for secured communications. You know, I used to be the under Secretary of Intelligence for the Department of Homeland Security. When I traveled on official travel or on vacation, I was you know, I carried with me secured communications device. If there was a very sensitive issue, like the planning of a counter terrorism operation, I would leave vacation and go to a secure facility. Their secure facilities all around the country, all over the world that government officials can go to. So while signal may be appropriate for some limited usage by government personnel, it certainly is not appropriate to be used to discuss sensitive operational information, which is why the Department of Defense in twenty twenty three, the Chief Information Officers forbid the utilization on government on phones and computers of signal in order to be used to convey sensitive, unclassified and classified information. So there are communication capabilities that are maintained by the government, that are secured, that are especially established to safeguard this type of information. And that's the only those are the only capabilities that should be used to convey this type of information.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then just another question, So I don't think this isn't the first time this kind of thing has probably happened. Why do they why do they use it if they really shouldn't.
Speaker 3: Be Well, that's a really good question. And I think as members of Congress and others are asking questions, that'll be one of the questions they ask. There are several theories that folks have promoted ease of use, distrust of the government bureaucracy, you know, the concerns that their private conversations would be would be listened to by other government personnel and leak to the media, or it provides an opportunity to bypath data retention policies that control how government records are maintained. So that'll be one of the questions The other big question that's going to be asked is, you know, putting aside a moment the appropriateness of using a commercial application. The other question that's going to be asked is how the heck did a journalist get added to a signal group. Those people who know who you signal know that that requires a very deliberate process. You can't sneak into a signal group. You have to you know, people that are participating on it have to specifically be added by the administrator of the group. So someone added and provided access to these highly sensitive communications to a journalist who quite frankly exercised good restraint by limiting the information that he had access to because he was on this group and he didn't publish all of it.
Speaker 1: And in this case, it's sort of like they leaked at themselves, whether they meant to or not.
Speaker 3: But yeah, okay, right, you know, we always talk about we always talk about the concern about, you know, something practice could lead to an unauthorized disclosure. We don't have. This isn't hypothetical.
Speaker 7: This happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they use this commercial channel, they use it in a way that they provided access to a member of the media. The member of the media was able to publish portions of what he saw, so the information was in fact compromised.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. ABC's John Cohen, thank you so much for your information and insight. We certainly appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Good talking to you, all right, take care.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Amtrak is warning customers about a confirmed case of measles on a passenger train from New York City to Washington, d C.
Speaker 10: The person with measles was on the Amtrak Northeast Regional train southbound last Wednesday. Amtrak says it is reaching out to all passengers on that impacted train to alert them of their possible exposure.
Speaker 5: Yeay if I.
Speaker 1: Scott Pringles's doctors are urging people to keep their vaccinations up to date. Boeing is about to change it's plea entered last year ye over problems with its seven thirty seven Max jets, including two deadly crashes. ABC's Alex Stone says Boeing wants to withdraw the guilty plea agreement with the Department of Justice.
Speaker 2: The agreement blamed Boeing for misleading the FAA before the crashes killed three hundred and fifty six people, but Boeing is now seeking more lenient treatment from President Trump's administration.
Speaker 1: Those two crashes happened in Indonesia in twenty eighteen and Ethiopia in twenty nineteen. Vice President Van says he'll be going with Second Lady Usha Vance when she travels to Greenland on Friday. The Vice President posted a video on x yesterday about his plans.
Speaker 11: Speaking for President Trump, we want to reinvigorate the security of the people of Greenland because we think it's important to protecting the security of the entire world.
Speaker 1: Is Commons followed President Trump's repeated statements that the US should own and control the semi autonomous Danish territory. Officials in Greenland and Denmark have denounced the visit. An executive order from as and Trump would stop the federal government from using paper checks.
Speaker 12: The order, assigned Tuesday would block the Treasury Department from issuing checks for benefits, tax refunds, vendor payments, and intragovernmental payments effective September thirtieth. At that time, the federal government would be required to switch to electronic transfer methods like direct deposit and prepaid card accounts.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Tammy Truchio says, according to the order, paper checks impose unnecessary costs, delays, risks of fraud, theft, and inefficiencies. It is time for world champion Dodger Baseball where just one day away from the home opener this season. Tomorrow, the Dodgers take on the Detroit Tigers. Opening Day action is happening at Dodger Stadium. First pitch goes out at four to ten. You can listen to every game on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports brought to you in part by Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Now at the Hollywood Pantagious Theater. You can visit Broadway Inhollywood, dot com and go blue. USC officials have called for budget cutbats and a hiring freeze over what it calls federal funding uncertainty. USC is facing an already one hundred and fifty eight million dollar budget deficit and could also lose federal funding for not complying with some Trump administration mandates. Homeland Security Secretary Christy Noem will tour the prison in El Salvador that took in hundreds of US deportees believed to be Trendea Ragua and MS thirteen gang members. El Salvador is the first stop of Noam's trip that also includes stops in Columbia and Mexico. The Dodgers will be visiting President Trump at the White House. They'll be honored for their twenty twenty four World Series win. The visits scheduled for April seventh, when the Dodgers will be in town to play the Washington Nationals. At six oh five, it's Handle on the News with our friend Chris Merril filling in today. Mike Walls has claimed responsibility for that Signal check group lead to a journalist. We'll find out more about that, but right now, let's say good morning to our host of Rich on Tech KTLA's tech reporter Rich Demiro.
Speaker 11: Morning, Rich, Hey, good morning to you.
Speaker 8: Amy.
Speaker 1: We're not going to dive into what happened with Signal because you're our tech guy, because we heard you talking with it about Chris with Chris Merril yesterday about how we've all added the wrong people onto chats, so it can happen, but it's also a pretty serious thing.
Speaker 11: Well yeah, I mean I'm not a government official, so my chat is like, yeah, I'll see you in ten minutes, not hey, we're bombing this place in ten minutes.
Speaker 1: But we've all sent that one that like you sent it like would you just leave me alone? I'm like, oh my god, that went to the wrong person.
Speaker 11: Oh always, and I get it and look and Signal is a very secure app. I understand a lot of people use it, a lot of executives use it anyone that wants to remain private because it is very much encrypted and it doesn't collect a lot of information. So I understand all that part, but also, yeah, this is a human mistake and there's some things to unpack here as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, interesting as we dive into this, well, I'm going to share something that we just found out from John going with ABC that he was saying, you need to get to secure places, and he goes, there's secure places, like secure facilities all over the country. It's not as it's not as easy to get to as your phone. But I'm like, you knew there were locations all over the place.
Speaker 11: Oh, I'm sure there are there's you know, I mean, but look, at the end of the day, again, we're all human and we take you know, these paths of least resistance and we and we're so used to texting and these are all new people and you know, new positions, and I'm not defending them, but it's like, you know, they've got to follow the rules that that are established and if that's not using signal, then they got to figure that out.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, speaking of following rules, the rule for TikTok is you got to sell or you're going to be banned. That was pushed back. But is that back on the table or the deadlines approaching? What's going on with TikTok?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I've forgot about this. April fifth is that deadline? It's already here, already. I can't believe it. It's like we've been talking about this for I'm not kidding over four years now, how many years it's been, It's been many years. And so TikTok has faced an uncertain future here in the US. The current thing is that it needs to be sold to a non Chinese owner or risk being banned. Is that happening? Has there been any progress whatsoever?
Speaker 1: Not? Really.
Speaker 11: We've seen a couple of companies like Oracle have some interest. We've seen a couple of investor groups pop up here and there, but nothing solid. So with that in mind, TikTok has been ramping up a massive ad campaign. I was watching TV the other day and I was like, wait, what is this an ad for TikTok?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 11: And it was so you know, it was so heartfelt and warm and it made me want to scroll all day long until my eyes fall out. But they're saying, look where a kind, gentle social media service, and you should keep us here in the US.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've seen those ads too, And TikTok is not really interested in selling either, is it.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 11: I mean, the Chinese company that owns it does not want to sell it because A it's a cash cow and B there's a lot of secret sauce in that algorithm and they don't want to give that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, well we'll be watching and it'll be interesting to see because it was supposed to go into effect earlier and then Trump pushed it back.
Speaker 11: Right, And this doesn't seem like it's the most pressing issue in America right now, But hey, what do I know exactly?
Speaker 1: Well, you do know that we can get some stuff on sale on Amazon right now?
Speaker 11: Well, I didn't actually know this. I didn't even know there was a spring sale until I was doing some research yesterday and I was like, wait, why are these people posting? Why am I getting so many emails about Amazon discounts? And sure enough, this is Amazon Amazon's big Spring sale. It's running through March thirty first, kind of a mini Prime day, so they're not calling this a Prime day. You know you typically they do two of those a year, but I think these sales must do pretty well for Amazon. So what happens is all these manufacturers discount stuff. Why I started getting the email. So if you're looking for something, if there's something in your shopping car, maybe your wish list, maybe you're saved for later, now is the time to check for discounts. A couple of notables AirPods pro down to one hundred and seventy bucks, Apple Watch the latest model down to two ninety nine, the latest Google Pixel smartphone seven forty nine, the Ring indoor cam forty bucks, and the crowd favorite, the Brother laser printer, which I personally had for about ten years ninety nine bucks.
Speaker 1: Oh so some good deals when they do these sales, do I mean do they They don't take usually a ton off, but there are some like I don't know if they're lost leaders, but they usually pick a few.
Speaker 11: Well, it's every company. So basically, you know, like the the companies sort of go through and say like hey, you know, like we'll discount this stuff. And so Amazon just says, hey, we're having this big day, and then it's up to the companies to sort of like discount their products because most of the stuffs sold on Amazon now is like third part. But I went through my saved stuff and sure enough, there's a lot of stuff on there on sales. So definitely take a look at your cart or your wish list or you know, if you need something like a battery, portable battery or something, you know, this is the time to get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What's interesting to me on this rich is that there aren't like traditional ads saying hey, we're doing a sale. It's all, but you're finding out about it because of social media, like because everybody's talking about it.
Speaker 11: Well that's because of affiliate marketing. So basically Amazon's not you know, they're advertising in certain ways, probably online, but you know, the real benefit here is to affiliates who basically share a link to Amazon stuff and they get a little cut.
Speaker 4: So that's why you see.
Speaker 11: So many of those articles from every publication out there that says ten items I can't live without on Amazon because they are doing affiliate sales and they make a small cut, okay for absolutely brilliant.
Speaker 1: Yeah really, no kidding. For more great tech information, you can listen to rich Demiro right here from eleven to two on Saturday on KFI. You can also see him on KTLA, follow him on Instagram, rich on Tech his website rich on Tech dot tv. He posts all the stuff that he talks about there so you can get the latest information there too. Rich Demiro, thanks so much.
Speaker 11: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Amy, all right, take care. Jury in Riverside Counties recommended the death penalty for a convicted felon who killed his one year old daughter and stabbed his pregnant wife during a child custody exchange. The same jury convicted Adam Slater early this month of first degree murder, attempted murder, assault on a child, and other charges. The crimes happened in twenty twenty, and RV Company's storage lot in the city of Industry has reportedly been overrun by squatters who've taken up residents in the vehicles. Arado Torres works nearby tells KTLA it's dangerous.
Speaker 13: It's a very gootic scene. Like I said, all the trailers are like damage, broke in, flipped over. A couple of videos I have where they've missed on fire. So there's been big fires. You know, we have to go look make sure it's not our cars that Arcano fire.
Speaker 1: Black Series RV has been using the site to store some RVs and attempts to evict the unsanctioned residents that's a good word for him, have been unsuccessful. Katla says the property managers now received a new eviction order and hopes to clear the lot soon. Veteran entertainment industry lawyer Greg Hessinger has been named the new president of the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers. Hill head up the powerful trade group that leads labor negotiations on behalf of Hollywood's major studios and streaming companies. The La County DA's office has reversed course on the death penalty.
Speaker 6: DA Nathan Hawkman says he's rescinded a moratorium on seeking the death penalty previously enacted by his predecessor, George Gascon Hakman says it would only be sought in exceedingly rare cases after a thorough review to again.
Speaker 2: Make sure that all the aggravating and mitigating considerations are on the table when you make a final decision.
Speaker 6: That review would also so include defense attorneys who would have the opportunity to make arguments on behalf of their clients. Hakman says the death penalty would be used in the most egregious of criminal circumstances. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: You'll soon be screaming inside at Legoland, California. The owner of the theme park says a new indoor roller coaster is being built should be up and running by next year. A matching coaster is being built at Legoland Florida. The total costs for both coasters ninety million dollars, the biggest attraction investment in the park's histories and the first new coaster at Lego Line, California in twenty years. President Trump assigned an executive order requiring people to prove their citizenship when registering to vote. The order also includes changes to mail in ballot deadlines and election equipment. It is expected to be challenged in court. California Assembly members will discuss two bills next week affecting transgender athletes. One would stop transgender girls from competing in women's sports. The other seeks to overturn in a twenty thirteen law that allows students to join teams and use facilities that match their gender identity. The DOUBLEG is coming to USC. Snoop Dogg is going to deliver the commencement address this year to the graduating class from the USC Marshall School of Business Snoops released twenty one studio albums, won sixteen Grammys and has behind several businesses successful ones too, including his beverage company Gin and Juice. At six o five's handle on the news, Trump says his National Security advisor has learned a lesson and he's standing by it.
Speaker 5: So Wake Up Call.
Speaker 1: Got to go out and about this week to the Peterson Automotive Museum in LA. We didn't go to check out cars, though, we went to see pieces of Hollywood history. So there's an auction that starts today. It's got props and costumes from some of your favorite movies. And we got to catch up with the chief operating officer of prop store Brandon Allinger, who's going to walk us through some of the items being auctioned off, tell us about some of the big things that we're going to see, because you guys have assembled an amazing array of movie props that I have to tell you, I'm totally geeking out just looking around the room and.
Speaker 5: You know, right behind me, Hello Superman.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that is one of the star lots in the sale. This auction is something that we do twice a year in the US and once over in the UK, and it's really our ten pole project. It's where we put out some of the absolute best material that has surfaced through the year.
Speaker 4: Okay, so this costume.
Speaker 14: Here, this is a genuine Christopher Reeves Superman outfit that he wore in Superman three, which was the one that also had Richard Pryor in it. Oh right, right, And this is actually evil Superman's if you recall in the film, there's a sequence where Superman he starts drinking and he actually turns evil, and to represent that in the film, they change his costume out of his core primary colors that we always see in the very bright blue, red, and yellow into this much darker, sort of less saturated version of the outfit. So it's wonderful and its completeness because you do have the entire ensemble head to tell You've got the boots, you've got the belt, you've got the cape with the big s.
Speaker 4: On the back. All of it is labeled.
Speaker 14: Maybe the inside there's little fabric identifying tags that are from the costume house that made the outfit in the UK, which is a famous costumer called Burmans and Nathan's that say in a little typescript font Christopher Reeves Superman three.
Speaker 1: And is that How do you check for authenticity because I mean, anybody could make a knockoff of this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it's a very good question.
Speaker 14: It's actually especially pertinent with Superman costumes because fraudulent examples are a real problem with those. You know, it really comes down to our expertise. So we've been doing this a long long time. PROPST was founded in nineteen ninety eight in the UK. We've had the US office here since two thousand and seven. We have encountered a lot of examples of different props and costumes in the past, both good and bad. And with the Superman costumes, the fabric is actually a very specific thick weave that they made specifically for the films. It's not just like an athletic spandex that you.
Speaker 4: Would go out and buy. It's literally something that they made.
Speaker 14: You won't see that fabric anywhere else except on a genuine Superman costume. And we've been able to compare, for example, this example to versions that came directly out of the studio archive, the Warner Brothers studio archive, and you know, all the little tells, all the witness marks are exactly consistent between them. So we are one hundred percent confident that this is a genuine example. It does come with the prop Store Certificate of Authenticity, which gives buyers a lifetime guarantee, a money back guarantee, so that if there ever is a problem with that piece or any other piece, they can come back to us and we'll.
Speaker 4: Make it right.
Speaker 1: Let's go, because there's so much to look at and so much to see. Share with us a few of the other big ticket items that are going to be auctioned off.
Speaker 14: Sure, yeah, there's a couple of wonderful Star Wars pieces this auction.
Speaker 4: So we could see just in the.
Speaker 1: Camber to the Star Wars piece right now, I remember this so well. So this is from the final scene of the original Star Wars A New Hope exactly.
Speaker 4: I mean, this piece is just unforgettable.
Speaker 14: This is the ceremonial metal that was bestowed upon Mark Hamill by Kerrie Fisher in the final scene of the movie. It's actually the very last thing you see on screen before they fade out and go to George Lucas's director's title card.
Speaker 4: And this is one of only two that they had for the film. So there was this one, there was one other.
Speaker 14: That Harrison Ford wore, and it has been with the family of a prop man for almost fifty years, someone who worked on the original Star Wars film, and.
Speaker 4: It's coming to light for the very first time.
Speaker 5: So that's what I was.
Speaker 4: This is really special.
Speaker 5: Where do you acquire these items?
Speaker 1: Coming up? Brandon's going to tell us where they get them, who buys them, where you can see them, where you can watch and participate, and how you could even get one for yourself. Right now, it's time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahogue mourning, Courtney, good morning, we got a deal in discount. Dollar Tree sold its business.
Speaker 7: Yes, it is official Dollar Tree checking out a Family Dollar selling the struggling business for about a billion dollars. Now the buyer is a group of private equity firms, but the price tag is steep.
Speaker 5: It's a big discount.
Speaker 7: Actually to the nearly nine billion dollars that paid for Family Dollar back in twenty fifteen. So look at that eight billion dollars less Dollar Tree.
Speaker 1: They bought it for nine and they sold it for one or one.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah.
Speaker 7: Family Dollar has definitely struggled to grow over the past couple of years. Low income shoppers have been under pressure high inflation and interest rates. Now, when you think of Dollar Tree versus Family Dollar, Dollar Tree is mostly in the suburbs. They cater to middle income households, kids who people who want crafts, party supplies. That's who they're looking toward. Okay, Family Dollar, however, are people who want more essentials they go there. It's concentrated mostly in urban areas, so it hasn't been as successful. So that's one of the reasons why Dollar Tree said, you know what, Originally we had a plan of becoming this big, big company just covering all aspects of the discount space, and it didn't quite work out that way. Because Dollar Tree has excuse me, family dollar. There's so many dollars.
Speaker 4: I have to.
Speaker 7: Say a family dollar has.
Speaker 5: Been struggling so much.
Speaker 1: Okay, are they going to close yes.
Speaker 7: A couple of the stores. Well, they're most likely going to be relabeled again. Private Equity didn't say what they're going to do with the business, but Dollar Tree is actually going to be closing some businesses. So they're looking to boost their business. They're going to shut down a bunch of underperforming stores. They're going to expand a lot of the products that they have, and they're going to have more pricey items, things that cost as much as seventy eight dollars. That's what they're looking at. So Dollar Tree as a whole is making some changes. Private Equity probably has to take a good assessment of the business and then make the changes that they need to make, most likely closing some of the stores though.
Speaker 1: Okay. Under Armour is scoring big.
Speaker 7: Why, Yes, they're stepping up and locking in a deal with the NFL to be the official provider of footwear and gloves. Under Armour had a previous licensing agreement with the NFL that ended in twenty twenty because at the time, they were undergoing a restructuring and a cost cutting push. So the company has rebounded a lot since then. One of the reasons is founder Kevin Plank. He came back as CEO about a year ago to lead this turnaround for the company. But financial terms of the deal with the NFL wasn't disclosed.
Speaker 1: Okay, you said footwear, but not shoes like y sock shoes, shoes, shoes. I didn't know under Armour had shoes.
Speaker 7: Okay, And they're going to be able with this deal to be able to label the shoes too, so where instead of just being able to wear it and being being allowed on the field, they're going to be allowed to label it.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then really quick because we're almost out of time. But I want to talk about the Kroger and Albertson's. The deal is off, but the fight isn't.
Speaker 7: Yes, the dispute continues to heat up. A Kroger is fighting back against a lawsuit brought on by Albertson's over their failed merger. Albertson claims that Kroger didn't do enough to win the regulatory approval for the deal. That twenty five billion dollar deal now Kroger is accusing Albertsons of trying to extract billions of dollars with these baseless claims that Kroger tried to undermine the tie up. So Albertsons is now responding to the suit saying that Kroger's just trying to avoid paying all the money that it owes them.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's getting in your business today with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Thanks so much. We'll do it again tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Yes see you later.
Speaker 1: Ride share drivers will rally in front of La City Hall, also in San Francisco and San Diego. The rallies are happening ahead of a mediation session for settlement discussions over a lawsuit in which drivers claim they've been robbed of tens of billions of dollars in wages. Vice President Vance is going to make the trip to Greenland with his wife and other US officials. Usha Vance was set to headline or head up the delegation, but Vance sent out a video tweet saying he's going to join her. He didn't want her to have all the fun. President Trump says he wants to take control of Greenland. Officials in Greenland say the delegation was not invited. The summer movie season is just around the corner. Fans say they are most excited to see dinosaurs. Jurassic World Rebirth tops the list of most anticipated releases, according to a Fandango survey. Most are franchise movies. The Fantastic Four, First Steps, Mission Impossible, The Final Reckoning, Superman, Thunderbolts, and From the World of John Wick. Ballerina round out the top five. We're gonna tell you more about some cool movie stuff in just one second. In fact, let's talk about it now. Wake Up Call went out and about to the Peterson Automotive Museum for a sneak peek at the prop stores auction of some amazing movie props and from some of your favorite superhero and sci fi shows, including Top Gun. We're talking to the COO, Brandon Allinger. There are more than thirteen hundred items being off off over the next couple of days. So, Brandon, where do you get all these pieces of Hollywood history?
Speaker 14: Yeah, they come from all over the place, and so in some cases things are coming out of film studios or production companies directly. In other instances, they're coming from people who worked on the movies, which.
Speaker 4: Is the situation with this Luke Skywalker Medal.
Speaker 14: You know, at this time in the nineteen sixties, seventies and eighties, people weren't necessarily tracking and saving these things in the same way they are today. The golden was to make the movie, not necessarily to save the props. So things like this they did get thrown away. They were given to people, and you know that's why some of these are out there today.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've got another cool one for you too. Then we have spanglers. Yes, yes, so fit from the original Ghostbus.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 14: So, I'm a big Ghostbuster fan. I love seeing this costume here. You know, this is a jumpsuit that was worn in the second film. You can see the arm patch here. Ye, it's got the ghost holding up the two fingers. That's the design from the second movie. The belt is his from the first movie, and the boots are also his from the first movie, and they're actually marked inside HR for hald Ramis. I think this is the only belt that I've ever seen in a private collection, So that's a really special piece. And then in addition to the costume over here in the showcase, this is one of the absolute highlights of the sale. This is a hero functional electronic ghost trap prop, so it's a special effects version. You can see the nineteen eighties remote control there that actually drives the whole unit. If we power it up, the doors open and close, the lights on the top work, the little red light at the backflashes, the whole thing comes to life, and it is made out of metal. It's just a beautiful example of a hero prop, something intended to be using close up.
Speaker 4: In the film.
Speaker 5: Okay, so what's that going to go for?
Speaker 14: The estimate on this one, you can see here on the card. Pre sale estimate is one hundred and fifty to three hundred thousand. Well, so we don't know exactly what it's going to sell for. You know, that's going to be determined by the bidders on the day. I can tell you there's been a lot of questions on this one, a lot of inquiries.
Speaker 4: We'll we'll see tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: So you've got the big ticket items, you've got some smaller things. So maybe if I don't have an extra hundred thousand dollars or other things, technically I could bid on absolutely.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, we try to have something for everyone.
Speaker 14: So there's gonna be items, especially on days two and three, starting as low as maybe three or four hundred dollars. So really the prices run the full spectrum. Day one tends to be more of the higher end, more expensive items like the ghost trap, like the Spangler costume.
Speaker 4: But on days two and three you're going to see some great.
Speaker 14: Pieces which are also all from the making of people's favorite films and shows, just you know, small or less recognizable pieces that are at much more accessible price.
Speaker 5: Who baited on these kinds of things.
Speaker 14: Just fans, people that love movies. You know, our clientele comes from all different kinds of backgrounds. And look, we have people that work in the entertainment industry, we have high net worth individuals. We also have just very you know, regular people who love films, who are from all walks of life, from all over the country. You know, international buyers, people buying from Europe, people buying from Asia, people buying from all corners of the globe. And just the common trend that we see is they're passionate about it. They love the movie, they love the show. They want a little piece of it they can put in their office or put in their home. Theater and you know that's what we're providing here.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the auction starts today Wednesday, goes through Friday, and if people want to come see it, they'd have to come see it today because it's items will be all display today.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so day one Wednesday is live with in person bidding, meaning you can show up here at the Petersautomoti Museum and bid in the room. You can also bid online or buy a telephone. Days two and three Thursday Friday, they are online and buy phone only, so there's no in person element to those.
Speaker 4: Just at our website propstore dot com.
Speaker 5: Okay, so propstore dot com.
Speaker 1: That's where you can go and you can register and get all set up and then you can dip in and out when you see different things. And are there lists of the different items here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a full online catalog.
Speaker 14: It's about thirteen hundred lots in total. You can search it, you can filter it, you can put in your favorite movie title and see what we have from it. You'll have a comprehensive photo gallery of all the different lots. You'll have a written description tells you exactly what the piece is. So there's a lot there. If you're a fan, there's a lot there to digest and dive into.
Speaker 5: Okay, being a total fangirl. Before we go, I go to show.
Speaker 1: You one more thing, Danny Zuko's jacket from Grease.
Speaker 4: Come on, this is a big one. Yeah.
Speaker 14: This is maybe the only Grease jacket that has come to auction in several decades. This actually sold for the first time in a Christie's auction back in nineteen ninety five, so we're thirty years past that now, and this is specifically you know, a lot of people are surprised that it's not leather, right, And the story is in the film there's a famous dance number, the Grease Lightning sequence, and if you go watch the film again, you'll see it's this much shiny or sort of nylon like jacket that he's wearing in that specific number.
Speaker 4: So he did have right.
Speaker 14: He had a leather version of the t Verge jacket as well, but this non leather version was used specifically for that sequence. He also wore it or possibly won't exactly like it at the film premiere. So the photo down there, that's Travolta and Olivin John at the premiere of the movie and he's wearing this jacket.
Speaker 1: There are so many cool things to see and so if you want to see them, need to come down today to.
Speaker 5: The Peterson Automotive Museum.
Speaker 1: You can also go to propstore dot com you watch the auction, maybe even take home a treasure of your own. CEO, Brandon Allinger, thank you so much for your time today.
Speaker 4: Please for coming here.
Speaker 5: This is great.
Speaker 1: I'm going to put the interview up on Instagram so you can see some of the things you were talking about. I mean, and I really was just geeking out because it was it was just cool. I mean, like these are pieces of you know, your childhood or your early adulthood, and they bring back fun memories like the Ghostbusters stuff was really cool. And they had Tom Cruise's jacket from from Top Gun, and they had mister Fusion from Back to the Future too, little thing that they put on the Dolorean, and just like really cool pieces of movie history. And and like you said, they're gonna do the auction. It starts today, goes tomorrow on the next day. The big ticket things are going to be today and you can watch it if you want to dip into it. It is it's pretty interesting, but it's at the propstore. Dot com is the website for that. And again I'm going to put the interview up on the Instagram so you can take a look at it. I would if you would follow me. It's at Amy k King and also we'll post it on the KFI Instagram at KFI AM six forty. Very cool stuff. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A new lawsuit against the LEDWP by residents of Pacific Palisades sites evidence of the Santa Inez Reservoir being empty at the time of the Palisades fire. Lead attorney Roger Bailey told kfi's John Cobalt yesterday the reservoir was built in the late nineteen sixties specifically for firefighting purposes.
Speaker 15: With it empty, we had not only the water and the hydrants, and we had no ability for those helicopters to go draw water either out of Saninez or Chautauqua. You're basically both hands tied behind your back.
Speaker 1: Bailey said. The suit also highlights the fact the LEDWP had not de energized the Palisades power grid during the first hours of the wildfire. In January, LA may be asking voters whether more firehouses are needed around the city.
Speaker 6: Next year's ballot could include a bond measure or even a sales tax to support the construction of firehouses. Counciloman Tracy Park says there's not been a firehouse added to the Palisades in decades.
Speaker 7: Simply put, we need a twenty first century fire department that can tackle twenty first century problems.
Speaker 6: The city council voted to have city staff start to evaluate how many firehouses they may need, what the cost might be, and what the best way to pay for it all would be. After that, they'll decide on whether to go to voters for the funding. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Debris from a train crash has critically hurt a taco vendor in Oxnard. A big rig was on the tracks last night when the trailer was hit by the train. The woman was hit by debris and suffered head injuries. The big rig driver was and hurt. Two people on the train complained of some pain. Clippers Guard James Harden has been ordered to pay more than a million dollars in a lawsuit over a Beverly Hills mansion. He rented in twenty nineteen. Harden rented the house for a week in twenty nineteen. He wasn't supposed to have more than seven guests at the house, but the lawsuit claims he hosted more than fifteen people and did significant damage to the property like hundreds of millions, or not hundreds of millions, but hundreds of thousands. A flight from la to China had to be diverted to San Francisco because the pilot forgot the passport. United Airlines confirms the plane left lax for Shanghai on Saturday afternoon. It was diverted to San Francisco and then delayed for more than three hours. A new crew flew the plane and it's two hundred and fifty seven passengers overseas. Passengers were given meal vouchers and compensation for dealing with the delay. Want to remind you the Wiggle Wagglewalk is less than two weeks away, about a week and a half now. We would love to have you join us. Come and walk around Brookside Park at the Rose Bowl. It's happening on Sunday, April sixth, and it's all to raise money for Pasadena Humane which is doing such great work, not only every day in helping thousands of animals, but so after the wildfires where they took in like fifteen hundred animals and helped rescue them and get them back reunited with their families. We have a team. It's called the Wake Up called Wigglers. You want to join us, please do come walk with us. You can sign up at KFIAM six forty dot com slash wiggle and you can make a donation and if you can't make it to the walk, we would be more than happy just to take the donation, but we would love to see you too again. KFIAM six forty dot com slash wiggle. It's the Wiggle Waggle Walk and Run for Pasadena Humane. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland Weather from KFI are gonna have some low clouds hanging around. It was a little bit misty almost this morning as I headed into the station. It's going to clear out though, and we're going to see some sunny skies, cooler than we've seen for the last couple of days. I was in the sixties at the beaches around seventy for Metro LA and Inland Orange County, low to upper seventies in the valleys and Inland Empire seventies to low eighties and windy in the Antelope Valley, and then low clouds again overnight and Tomorrow morning, sunny after that, cooler Tomorrow and Friday. Hi's stopping out in the sixties to low seventies. It's fifty six in Irvine, fifty eight in Huntington Beach, fifty five in Sherman Oaks, fifty six in Whittier. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.