Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen. Here's Wayne Resnick.
Speaker 3: Kf I AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Good Morning, Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 3: Still on holiday vacation, Wayne Resnik here until nine and this is when we do Handle on the news for you. Here's who's here today producing the show. Michelle Cube in for Ann who's taking a holiday vacation. Good morning, Good morning, Kono is here, Good morning You're You're the only regular member of the morning crew who cares enough about the listener work I do.
Speaker 2: I care so much about the listener to work.
Speaker 3: In for Amy King, who will be here next week and therefore should be exempt from my criticism because she is working on a holiday week next week.
Speaker 4: In for Amy King is Michael Monks. Good morning, Good Morning, Buenos Dias. Quick correction. She will not be here on New Year's Day or the day after, so don't give her too much credit.
Speaker 2: Now what, Yeah, I'll be back with you.
Speaker 3: I mean that's great, But now really conflicted because I trashed her. I collectively trashed a group of people and she was one of them. And then I made a point of singling her out to be rehabilitated, And now I find out I have been made a fool.
Speaker 2: She's undeserving. Well, you know, she kind of is.
Speaker 3: But I didn't think i'd ever have such conflicted feelings about a human being before as I do about Amy King. Right now now I have a question why bother? But why didn't she just.
Speaker 4: Take the two weeks off like the other three Lasos? Oh, I'm grateful she didn't die. Love, What are you trying to prove? What?
Speaker 2: What is she? But who is she trying to fool? And what is she trying to prove?
Speaker 4: She might be stockpiling vacation days for like a nice long Caribbean trip later on.
Speaker 2: You know, she works very hard. She does deserve her time off.
Speaker 3: Yes, obviously, I'm kidding around and having fun. I don't actually think ill of Amy King. Okay, but but she is much more with the group of Lasos than she is with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be.
Speaker 3: A hard working holiday folk, and Kno, you really stand out now.
Speaker 2: Is the shining star.
Speaker 3: Of the morning crew, the one that people should aspire to be. And I hope that you're getting I hope every day you're getting the love and the appreciation that you deserve from the regular morning crew. I just hope that every single day Bill Handle is on the air making a point of expressing his gratitude and admiration for how much you help make the show happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's what Bill's about, gratitude and appreciation.
Speaker 3: All right, everybody, let's do some handle on the news right now with this lead story right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Know, there was the story about American Airlines calling a ground stop for an hour for technical problems, which did cause some delays and hassle for some holiday travelers. But now it's Mother Nature getting in on the act of bumming you out. There's a big storm system and it's a big one and it's a dangerous one. Two states at least Texas and louise Or under tornado warnings. There are over four million people under a level three storm threat. That's three out of five, and it's centering around Houston right now and also the eastern part of Texas and into Louisiana. And it'll keep, you know, moving up. But in any event, ground stops at Dallas Fort Worth International Dallas love Field.
Speaker 2: The Governor of Texas.
Speaker 3: Greg Abbott has requested emergency response. And I think you said earlier, Michael Monks, in your newscast you were talking about the local weather and you said it's just gonna get worse. Yeah, the cloudiness or whatever. Well, it's the same thing for these people that right now they're in the situation where it's going to get worse before it gets better. So this is a major storm and lots and lots of flights are being canceled.
Speaker 2: Yesterday more than seven hundred flights were canceled.
Speaker 3: You know, there were about seven hundred and seven fifty flights canceled, and several hundred of those were just Dallas Fort Worth. That's a weird airport for weatherwise, because it's in an area and I don't understand it. I'm not trying to be a meteorologist or anything. I just know for a fact because it was explained to me one time when I had a flight out of there and there was this weird They get these weird, localized intense storm actions sometimes around Dallas Fort Worth International Airport that aren't necessarily affecting a broader area, and they have to cancel a bunch of flights and then you have to get on a bus with a bunch of strangers and go to a hotel where you're getting where you're not getting it for free, but you're getting it at some allegedly special airline negotiated rate. So they're kind of used to this, but this is affecting a lot of people.
Speaker 4: If you have any I was just gonna say, have a one hour grounding of the of the flights earlier this week caused as many problems as it did.
Speaker 2: What can we expect from something like this?
Speaker 3: Sheer hell, bedlam, violence, probably much weeping, lamentations and rending of garments, and no recompense, because it's that act of God.
Speaker 2: It's not the airlines screwing up. They can't. They're not. You know, they don't have to help you too much when it's the weather.
Speaker 3: They're a victim also, you know, sometimes you're the victim and they're the victimizer, the airlines. But this time everybody's a victim, except for the Lord Almighty himself, who half deigned that this shall be the days of your aunt Leslie not getting home on time. Poor aunt Leslie right now on a shuttle bus to a day's in on the outskirts of Dallas. Think about that, your poor aunt Leslie with possibly, if she was lucky, a meal voucher that she can use in the terminal. She can get an anti en pretzel on the airline's dime if she's lucky. All right, I think I've run that into the ground a.
Speaker 2: Recompense and dained.
Speaker 4: I'm getting quite the vocabulary lesson from you today, Wayne, I do appreciate it. So you know, Governor Newsom is positioning California to help illegal immigrants as President elect Trump comes into office with this vow of mass deportation, and there is apparently a plan developing called the Immigrants Support Network concept. Political had reported about this, and this would include regional hubs apparently all across the state that would connect people in need of help to organized or other people that can provide that help. We've got a state senator in California, Scott Wiener, who has proposed legislation looking for sixty million bucks, including some funds for immigrant detention representation as well. So a lot of action and moving parts here in California on behalf of illegal immigrants.
Speaker 3: Yes, listen, let's get some news and then we have another related story, but we will get the news right after. I point out to everybody that I saw you Michelle stifling a giggle when he said the name of that state senator.
Speaker 2: I did see that. I saw it. Well a child his name was Wiener wh.
Speaker 3: Doesn't you guys, you know what it's like hosting a show in a nursery school.
Speaker 4: In South Korea, there's been an impeachment two weeks after the president there called for marshal law. We were all kind of looking at South Korea, like, what exactly is going on there? North Korea's right there, some weird stuff is going down. What is happening to this democracy there in Southeast Asia? Well, apparently the people there didn't like this, so lawmakers voted today to impeach This guy's name is Han Duck Sue and this is just two weeks after he imposed this martial law, and it's it's been a lot of fallouts since then. It's kind of a crazy situation in South Korea. It almost makes us look quaint.
Speaker 3: It's actually crazier than you've described because what happened over there is you had a president Yun Suck Yal, and that's the person who imposed this martial law for six hours and was impeached. And that was two weeks ago. And now two weeks later they've impeached the new guy already, the Han Duck su guy. So it's two impeachments in two weeks in South Korea.
Speaker 4: It is, indeed, and my apologies I missed the name President Yun Suk Yole, but yes, we've had two presidents that have been in peach So yes, that is why my note says it makes us look quaint we've impeached a president before.
Speaker 3: Although here's the deal now, is which is better or worse or crazier? You impeach a president and then in peach another one. So you that's two impeachments two presidents, or you in peach one president twice.
Speaker 2: Ooh you see.
Speaker 3: I think we can give South Korea a run for their money in the crazy politics department.
Speaker 2: Just fine.
Speaker 3: We can don't understand, never under sell the United States of America if you want to talk about I mean, we don't. We haven't had people throwing shoes at each other yet, which you see in some countries in their chambers, in their legislative chambers, they start throwing shoes at each other fifth fights have occurred. We have not had a fistfight in a while anyway to my knowledge. So, but we got our own quirks.
Speaker 4: I mean, we did have a bowel movement left on the House speaker's former House speakers desk.
Speaker 2: Not that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't think that was a That was not a I don't think that was an elected officials leaving.
Speaker 4: Not yet give us time. I think you're right, let's on underestimate ourselves.
Speaker 2: We've got the.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, President elect Trump, remember when he said, ah, God, what.
Speaker 2: Was his Christmas message?
Speaker 3: Marry Christmas to everybody, including the soldiers, the Chinese soldiers who are with great love but also against the law running the Panama Canal. I know, I'm sure I paraphrased it, but that's the gist of what he said. Well, now, the president of Panama, whose Raoul Molino, says that is crazy as wrong, it is nonsense. There is not a Chinese soldier at the canal, and that you know, Trump is just making up crazy stuff. But he also said, we're not giving up the Panama Canal because it belongs to Panama and we're Panama. It's our canal. Why do you think it's called the Panama Canal because President Trump wants to take control of it, because he says, we spend a lot of money on it somehow, and yet you know, we don't have anything to say about it, just like he wants to buy Greenland, and so that he's over too with the leaders of a thing he wants to take over, agreeing with him. It's really weird these people around the world. They don't seem to want to let the United States take over their stuff.
Speaker 4: Have you seen this hot dat alert? Wayne, Well, i've seen what you're are you subscribed to the heart dat alerts, I've seen what you're talking about. But it did not cause blood to move from many parts of my body to other parts of my body.
Speaker 2: Well, look more closely.
Speaker 4: My friend Elon Musk has apparently dropped some pounds. He posted on x formerly known as Twitter, that he takes this supplement called Munjaro. This is something for weight loss, and he posted a picture of himself looking real lean, ironically dressed as Santa Claus. So he called himself Ozimpa Ozimpic Santa. Even though it's not Ozimpic he was taking. He was, He says, quote technically munjaro, but that doesn't have the same ring to it, so it's part of those drugs. Munjaro and Ozimpic are both part of those drugs people are taking. Wish are meant for other things, but have been effective in helping people lose weight. So those shirtless picks of elon musk that circulate every now and then where he was on the boats, I think he was starting to feel self conscious or something, because if his picture is real, and who's to say, he is a fan of misinformation and altered images, but if it's real, he does look like he's slimmed down a bit.
Speaker 2: Well, good for him.
Speaker 3: He also is a hilarious jokesmith, so funny saying he said, I'm ozembic Santa. It's like cocaine bear, but Santa and ozembic.
Speaker 2: All right, all right.
Speaker 3: I don't think Rory Scovel or Andy Kindler or Patton Oswald have anything to worry about right now.
Speaker 2: No, he's not particularly funny. He tries to be though a lot.
Speaker 3: And also the fact that he was taking he's taking monjaro, but he made everything Ozembic is perfectly emblematic of the level of credibility that his social media platform provides to the world. So a little conservative on concern vative bickering going on after Elon Musk and Vivic Ramaswami, who are heading the Department of Government Efficiency DOGE, said they need now I remember they're both like tech bros. They said, big tech companies desperately need foreign workers because there aren't enough enthusiastic and talented engineers already here in the United States.
Speaker 2: We need to bring them in.
Speaker 3: They appear to be talking about the H one B visas for highly skilled workers, and some Republicans and conservatives are angry at them, including everybody's favorite Darling, Laura Loomer.
Speaker 2: Who accused who accused Elon.
Speaker 3: Musko only buying his way into MAGA five minutes ago, that they're trying to infiltrate the White House even though they obviously don't support Donald Trump's immigration policies, because they're talking about let us bring over a bunch of foreign workers. And these H one B visas are controversial because if you come over here on one, it's because you have a job. It doesn't allow you to come over here and look for a job. It's you have a job. Somebody is hiring you, so you get to come and they the employer. They have a lot of control over your life. You can't go work for anybody else. And if for some reason you lose that job that allowed you to come over here, you're in big trouble. You could be deported. So some people feel that these H one B visas are exploitive in some way. I don't know how Laura Lumer feels specifically about them. I think she's just mad because she was the inside, she had his ear and probably other appendages, and now she's on the outside and they're on the inside.
Speaker 2: She doesn't like it, and I please lose.
Speaker 3: Can we turn this into a three person octagon situation?
Speaker 2: What do you think this says about that winner gets the immigration policy of their choice. Well, yeah, that's what I mean.
Speaker 4: Like, there's so many different positions to be taken in that Trump coalition. How fragile do you think it is as he gets set to take office again?
Speaker 2: Eh?
Speaker 3: I mean, the bottom line is he's he put it this way, He's appointed two people to be an important part of the government and someone else he hung around with briefly. So you tell me whose side he's most likely on or who most likely has his ear.
Speaker 4: Well, if you are somebody who has long wanted to buy a politician a president of your own, you can be a billionaire a little bit later. Tonight, the Mega Millions jackpot has climbed to over a billion dollars one point one five billion to be exact. So thirty straight drawings of the Mega Millions, no winners, the ninth largest lotto jackpot in US history.
Speaker 2: It's a big one. You got two bucks to spare. Wayne, Well, the KFI Pol's gonna win it. So just so you know that'd Michelle manages that for us. She does a great job. And we tell who's.
Speaker 4: Gonna be here, who's gonna be here on Monday. If that happens, well not the people who have taken off. I can tell you that maybe we can keep a little secret, Michelle.
Speaker 5: Ooh yeah, maybe, except I sent everybody out of the tickets.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're so bad at fraud, I know.
Speaker 3: So it's a lot of money, the cash equip If you just want the lump sum right now and not in payments, it's still over half a billion dollars in your pocket right away.
Speaker 2: You're gonna need bigger pants. And I have to wonder pockets.
Speaker 5: I have to wonder what's going to happen in April, because April that Mega Million's tickets go from two dollars a ticket to five dollars a ticket. Well, that means the jackpots are going to get even bigger. If there's longer and longer between people winning.
Speaker 3: It won't be long till there's a two billion dollar jackpot. And someday in the future, when there are no recognizable human beings and life on earth are a series of brightly colored orbs, that those orbs will be buying lotto tickets for trillion dollar jackpots.
Speaker 4: It's an unfathomable amount of money. I've often thought, if you make one hundred thousand dollars, think of what you can buy, think of how your you know, how your money is spent, how much you can buy. Then double it to just two hundred thousand, and think how different your life could be. Then double that again to four hundred and double that again.
Speaker 2: I mean, are we going to go all the way to it?
Speaker 4: We're gonna get with this double we get to one point one five billion with this doubling. Just bear with me, No, I'm just saying. I mean it's really unfathomable when you catch a like that.
Speaker 3: Do you want to do the do you want to do the if you had one point one five billion dollar bills, how far would they stack up to? How many times would they go around the Earth or the Moon?
Speaker 2: I don't have that readily available to you.
Speaker 3: Okay, no, hey, get ready, if you want to make some sweet Popeye porn, you'll be able to without any legal repercussions starting January one, when the now be careful, the original Popeye will go into the public domain, as will Tintin, the beloved Belgian cartoon character.
Speaker 2: Tintin's had like a reporter, right, yeah, I think so. And he's got that little dog.
Speaker 3: He's got the little dog and a bunch of there's like twins. I forgot what they're called, but there's these two like gentlemen monopoly gentlemen looking twins that are part of Tintin.
Speaker 2: They go into the public domain.
Speaker 3: As does a Mickey Mouse cartoon, The Carnival Kid, where Mickey Mouse speaks for the first time. The Marx Brothers first feature film goes into the public domain. Alfred Hitchcock's first sound movie, Blackmail public domain. Feel free to mix it up and the song's an American in Paris, and this is the big one, singing in the rain. Wow becomes public domain, meaning you can record it, you don't have to pay anybody, you can mash it up, you can do parody it, do whatever you want with no fear, not even having to prove that what you did is parody. Pretty good, and this is apparently trueay at least according to this article from Axios. Remember when Winnie the Pooh went public domain and then you had that horror movie Blood and Honey or whatever, and then already a sequel.
Speaker 2: According to Axios.
Speaker 3: Three separate popa horror movies are already in the worst.
Speaker 2: Oh no, oh, no oh. What have we come to as a society and a culture? All right? How did how did the Netflix NFL games?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yes, of course, look they threw some NFL games on the streamer. Question was could they handle it? Netflix? Were they ready? We saw some problems with that boxing match a little earlier this month, and it turns out that it was a little shaky. It wasn't great, but people tuned in in droves. Twenty four point three million viewers on Wednesday for the Ravens Texans game and twenty four point one million for the Chiefs Steelers game. That's according to Nielsen that reviewed this data. That's a lot, and I mean it was a big deal because Beyonce put on a halftime show that looked like it could have been at the Super Bowl. I mean, they really put a lot into the production here. Of course, the broadcast was produced I believe by a team from CBS, because Netflix doesn't have that kind of capability in house. But still they went all out for these two football games on Netflix and people sat down and watched.
Speaker 3: And a big, big fire did a lot of damage to a building in downtown LA with quite a history, a rock and roll history. This building used to house the Morrison Hotel, made famous by the rock band The Doors on the cover of their album Morrison Hotel. There's the band posing under the sign anybody over I don't know sixty five maybe has the image burned in your burned in your brain, unless you burned it out with all that skunk weed.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it was.
Speaker 3: A pretty big fire and they did finally get it under control. No no injuries reported, no other structures were damaged, and they're still working on determining the cause of the fire.
Speaker 4: Pretty massive fire down there. Check out the videos if you haven't seen them. Quite quite a big fire. Can you imagine throwing back a cocktail of this holiday season, especially on New Year's ringing in the New year, only to find yourself still sober? Apparently there's a lot of fat, fake booze out there. You can't even drown your sorrows in this country anymore. Apparently, according to some experts at Harriet Watt University, as much as forty percent of what people are drinking in some parts of Europe, of all places, they're not real.
Speaker 2: Okay, I did. I didn't take it that.
Speaker 3: It's a counterfeit booze, meaning it doesn't have any alcohol in it.
Speaker 2: They're just not what, you know, what you paid for.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know it's not it's not.
Speaker 2: Real Rolex whiskey. Yeah, So what is that?
Speaker 3: That's a cheap knockoff that you bought down in santi Alli.
Speaker 4: Well, I live near santi Alli, and I can tell you if I bought the knockoff there, I don't know if i'd feel it. You know, if I wanted Kentucky bourbon and you gave me some sort of like US Virgin Islands Bourbon. I don't know, I'm gonna feel that. That's oh boy, Okay.
Speaker 3: So here's the thing, right, it's if we're just gonna tell the people, hey man, there's a lot of fake booze going around.
Speaker 4: They were not helping anybody. Oh, I see what you're saying. So it's a knockoff brand, is what you want me to emphasize?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no no no. I'm good.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to get to I'm trying to get to the positive. I'm trying to get to the positive. News is n Oh god, Michelle, here I go.
Speaker 2: Uh oh what are we doing?
Speaker 4: Here?
Speaker 2: I go?
Speaker 3: I could probably stop myself, but I'm not gonna News for some time has been unrelentingly negative and upsetting and despairing. And I have noticed a trend that even in stories where there's something in it that's positive or hopeful, it is left out.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this is by design. We all know the old phrase, if it bleeds, it leads. So this issue has been around for a long time, that news agencies, and I'm criticizing every single one of them, every one of them. You understand what I'm saying, Michelle, every everyone one of them seems to want to tell you about murders and rapes and fires, and we just did it. But at least there's an angle, and a lot of times there's.
Speaker 2: Like no no.
Speaker 3: On the other hand, so here's the On the other hand, science is coming to the rescue to protect people from buying the counterfeit booze because they're going to put together the equivalent of DNA.
Speaker 2: For booze.
Speaker 3: It's the specific chemical fingerprint of each spirit. And they say they will have a way for you to tell without needing a bunch of bulky testing equipment or anything like that. There will be a way to quickly verify the authenticity of a bottle of booze without even opening the bottle.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic news.
Speaker 3: So you if you're going to counterfeit that Pappy van Winkles or whatever, you better do it while you can because science is coming for you.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, this is my favor. It's the best one. This is the best one, my favorite.
Speaker 3: I've tried to find a booking photo of this of the person who is the subject of this story.
Speaker 2: I cannot find one.
Speaker 3: Because I really I want to know how outrageous her gambit was.
Speaker 2: Here's what happened anywhere in this country, you could say.
Speaker 3: And there've been a series of thefts recently, and that is true in Sonoma County. So one day, a couple of Shares's deputies are out, they see this car, the headlights are out, the registration is expired, and they recognize it from some previous theft. So they pull the car over and there's a driver in a passenger and the passenger gives a name and says, oh, and my date of birth is something something twenty twelve. So we have a twelve year old, Ladies and gentlemen, a twelve year old riding around with an adult woman stealing stuff. Because the car was full of stuff. I think it was mostly beauty products and booze. And I think that we all can agree that involving a twelve year old in organized retail theft is as despicable as it gets, except for one thing.
Speaker 2: It's not twelve twenty nine.
Speaker 3: A twenty nine year old tried to tell the cops that she was twelve. Now do you think either of these deputies thought for one second that she was actually twelve?
Speaker 2: Now, they did not.
Speaker 3: And the reason I want to see the booking photo is because I want to know if there's any possibility that if she had said she was seventeen, that maybe possibly it could have worked and she overshot her goal. But in any event, Coronicia Brooks of Antioch is now looking if ive fell in each other charges organize retail theft and impersonating a child because.
Speaker 2: You're not allowed to do that. That's a charge, My goodness, it is. That is a charge. You're right, it's a charge.
Speaker 3: They're out on bail, thirty thousand bail each, which is why when I did search the Sonoma County Jail inmate locator, she was not in.
Speaker 2: There, because she's not in there right now. But man, oh man, if.
Speaker 3: You're gonna tell a lie, you've got to at least you have to learn how to lie with plausibility.
Speaker 2: Man oh man, I wouldn't want to go on a date with her.
Speaker 3: You can spin off your own scenario specifically, why, Okay, at least it wasn't the other way around way, which is dumber, Which is dumber a twenty nine year old saying they're twelve, or a twelve year old saying they're twenty nine.
Speaker 2: A twenty nine year old saying they're twelve. Who would have a better shot at buying some fake liquor.
Speaker 3: A twelve year old with a fake ID saying they're twenty nine or a twenty Well, a twenty nine year old just would use their real ID, I would hope.
Speaker 4: But if they look young, would they get carded? Questioned, Oh, yeah, you're supposed to get carded.
Speaker 2: Isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: They Well, I know some stores have signs that say we card anybody who looks like they might be under thirty. Then other stores say we card everybody. And I did buy subooz the other day and I had to show my ID and I look at this beard that is gray, and I there's no way in hell I'm under twenty one.
Speaker 2: Me neither.
Speaker 5: But I just know when I go like to Bevmo, they actually scan the ID now, and a grocery store.
Speaker 2: They scan them place.
Speaker 3: Yes, grocery stores in particular are doing that now or there, or somebody comes over if you're at the self checkout.
Speaker 2: If you're at the self checkout you're trying to buy booze, I don't think you're supposed to or well.
Speaker 3: It depends on what state you're in, and as you know, sometimes I'm not in California. If you go to self check oops, if you go if you go to the self checkout and you scan booze, the thing goes bid required. Somebody runs over and you have to show me your ID, and they typed something into the keypad. I think they type your date of birth into the to the keypad. So there you go. Hey, what did we just learn a lot that I that I that I know that I know more about different states self checkout alcohol buying laws than Michelle does. Let's get something very late new. I'm so sorry, Michael Monks.
Speaker 2: All right, man, I'm this is not something that has happened in a while, but this is terrible. Now. I don't know what the new procedure is.
Speaker 3: There used to be a procedure that I didn't think was fair that if the host like me blabbed and blabbed and went super super insanely late, that news would have to try to cut their newscast. I hope that's not the current policy.
Speaker 4: I do not cut my newscasts. All right, fantastic And there that's read every word.
Speaker 3: K IF I am six forty Live Ever in the ir app, you've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 4: Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app