Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company.
Speaker 2: Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are get off our show. Idiots.
Speaker 2: The kids are crying to turn off. The countries are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner.
Speaker 1: Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Here's nick?
Speaker 1: Coffee?
Speaker 4: All right, good afternoon, welcome in another week here, coffee and company. It doesn't It feels like a Monday, but it's not a week one of college football season in the books. The NFL season set to start in just a couple of days. That is all very very exciting. But I myself had had a great weekend, busy weekend to where for some reason, I mean, despite waiting impatiently for many many months for this exact time of the year to arrive, and here we are, it is upon us. I'm dragging ass today, John. I don't know if it's if it's just fatigue from you know, maybe needing some rest from the long weekend.
Speaker 3: Long weekends will do that to you, especially when it's been a while since we've had one, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I I mean I can't really. I mean I was busy this weekend as far as you know, just you know. I mean I didn't think I didn't anything special. I mean, in fact, I just watched a lot of football. In fact, watched football, had a fantasy football draft. I mean I enjoyed. I mean, the weekend was great. But as we get the show started here on a Tuesday again, I kind of feel like I need a weekkend from the weekend, if that makes any sense at all. But we're ready to rock and roll again at His Coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety nit Coffee. That is me the company man, mister John all on alongside today as we take you up until six o'clock. You can take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. Probably one of the longest delays I've I've had as far as actually, you know, turning the microphone on and just start yapping. I mean, I was here, but I'm convinced Shannon the Dude has to be did deaf or he's gonna be deaf soon.
Speaker 2: It makes sense.
Speaker 3: I mean, he is kind of the rock guy, even though he's also a part of KSR. He's in that, you know, the loud music as I am myself.
Speaker 4: But it's not consistent though. That's what I don't understand about Shannon the Dude, And the reason only, the only reason I know it was him is because whoever's on this studio computer prior to me, you know, I see that when I log in, it shows who was previously logged in, and Shannon is here doing KSR and the pre show. And sometimes there are some folk that'll come in and use this studio at any point between nude and three, but more often than not, it's just Shannon, And sometimes, you know, I don't really notice the levels being that loud. I just know for me, I've got to, you know, I've got to adjust them a little bit. But then there's days like today where I mean, I'm glad I didn't have my headphones in. I didn't need to have the headphones in. There are headphones plugged in four different spots within this huge board. We have here and like it scared the crap out of me. And it wasn't even it was from headphones that are plugged in on the other side. It's like it's almost like the headphones are so loud even when they're not on somebody's hedge on. It felt like there was a big speaker in here, you know what I mean, Like what, I can hear it plain as day, and I'm like, it sounds like it's coming from far away and it's just because it's coming from a headphone. So anyways, I had to run over there turn those off, and then once I started unwrapping, I guess that's that's I guess a sign of us not being here for a few days is I got my headphones out, which I used the old white Apple headphones, not Airpop and not even like the ones that they send you or that I'm not even sure if they give you any headphones anymore when you buy a new iPhone, but at one point they did, and it went from that old school audio jack to like now what as I guess the USBC or even that old iPhone charger that I guess is still technically used by a lot of people who haven't upgraded, but like I use the old white audio jack ones, you know, plug in like a typical headphone jack, and they've been in my pocket for the last hour and I tried to unroll them, and you know, it was all processed. So anyways, we're here, We're ready to rock and roll. Obviously, a lot to react to that is typically what we do on Mondays. I mean, again, it's not a Monday, but it kind of is, you know what I mean, first day of the week, and that's exactly where we are today. A lot to take from the first weekend of college football where everybody played, and I gotta be honest with you, I think the biggest reaction overall is the same. It is about the same team that it was about after week zero, and that's Florida State. And I asked the question kind of feeling like already knew the answer last week, but now I know for sure the answer, Like there's no doubt about it. Everybody wins when Florida State loses. But what I still don't quite understand is it because of the way they behaved and acted after not getting into the playoff or is it just a thing that's been around forever and I just didn't realize it. And what I mean is just people not liking Florida State and taking great satisfaction in them being embarrassed. And they are absolutely embarrassed in a major way. And we're all like, it felt like everybody won last night, unless, of course, you are a Florida State fan. And if you're a Florida State fan, I mean, you gotta be in shock, Like you gotta be beside yourself to kind of to see where you are. I mean, there is a lot of football to be played. I'm sure you're gonna hear people say that over and over, but like, why can't we just say it. They've ruined their season. I mean, I guess technically they could still win the ACC, but they're zero to two in the ACC, and they've played teams that nobody expected to be very good in the ACC. So like, even if they won out, if there is a team in this league the ACC that is in cruise control to win the league, just like they were last year, and also Louisville was as well, I mean, let's be real, Louisville, they clinched their spot in the a SEC Championship game with what a few games left, so like people are afraid to say it, at least, you know, those that are the polished talking heads, the ones who you know always act like coaches, never make a mistake, and that know like you, just the very vanilla talking heads that are that are afraid to share strong opinions and sometimes afraid to just acknowledge the obvious. And that's what irritates me is that it's pretty obvious Florida State's season is over. I mean, nobody will say it, but it's over. Even if they get better, they're still gonna lose to teams that are better than Georgia Tech in Boston College. So I mean, I can't think of anything quite like the first two weeks of the season for Florida State, just given the act that they did the unthinkable by not making I mean they didn't do it wasn't their fault, it's just how it played out. They did not make the playoff last year because of a of a rare situation to where it just made no sense to put him in. Even though they were undefeated, nobody felt as if they were going to be close to being one of the four best teams. And yes, I know it's not supposed to be about you know, your potential. It's supposed to be about you know what you've accomplished. Well, hey, the guy who helped them accomplish that special season, he wasn't available anymore, and that matters. Like people can act like it doesn't, but it does. If you're on the committee and you put Florida State in there, you would know that you wasted a spot and that sucks for them, but that's just the way it is. So you go back to that. Then they sue the league, they play victim. I mean they I mean, they had a legitimate argument, but then again, like it was more more than anything, it was just, man, that's tough for you guys, Like I get it. I'd be frustrated, but like, what is your lawsuit gonna do? And then now we know, you know, we then learned that they were suing the ACC so they can get out of the league and preseason top ten I think is what just about everybody had them at. I think they were number ten in the eight peop pole before you know it came out today and now they're not ranked at all. But to I mean, just them suing the league alone is it's just something you never thought you'd see in high level college athletics, and it's because they feel superior. They feel that the rest of the league is beneath them and the league is holding them back. They won out of their grant of rights deal because they just you know, again, they don't have a legal case. They're not gonna win their lawsuit. But I guess their claim is that you know, they're being held back even though they agreed to it, and now here they are zero to two an embarrassing fashion. I mean, obviously, when they played Georgia last year, that was one of the most embarrassing football games you'll ever see. But if you count that as well as what happened in Ireland a week ago, what happened last night up or I guess down in Tallahassee, they've just been dominated physically. They've been out rushed in their last three games eight hundred and twenty five to one hundred and eighty two. They've given up eight hundred and twenty five yards on the ground in their last three games, and they've only rushed for one hundred and eighty two yards. They've been outscored one hundred and fifteen to thirty seven in their last three games. I mean, it's and what's crazy is that last year they were good. I mean, they did not lose a game when healthy, and you know, they were good. But all this does is actually make people think that they weren't any good at all last year. And you know, as much as that may seem unfair to them, like when you come out and start the season this way and just you know, have this I guess sense of worth that really isn't legit, meaning, you know, how could you claim you're being held back by this league whenever you know you aren't even competitive in it right now? It's just wild. I mean, I can't think of any any comparable situation in college football where you've had, you know, since January of last year. Well, I guess probably I guess December more than anything, because that's when the playoff was announced. But from December to now, like what a wild ride it has been for Florida State. So again we'll talk about what happened with Louisville and Austin p maybe like I might have just lied to you for the first time within the first ten minutes of the show, like I've probably lied to you before, but you know what I mean, Like ten minutes in, like I think I just lied to you, because why would we talk about Austin p I mean, we could talk about, you know, some of the things that stood out in that game, but like that, unfortunately, that game is exactly what you're supposed to do, and I mean exactly what you're supposed to do in those situations like that's all you can do is just completely demolish your opponents sixty two to nothing. You could have made it even worse if you wanted to. A bunch of guys got to play like that is quite literally exactly what you need to do when are supposed to do in those kind of games. But you know what, because it played out the exact way that it did, it also made me, you know, it also made me realize, like we don't need to be playing these games like that was I mean, I hate to say it because it sounds like I'm trying to rain on the parade and I'm like being a fun sucker, because I'm sure a lot of people love being out there at Cardinals Stadium tailgating for the first time you got to see your team wins sixty two to nothing despite people wanting us to worry about the weather. The weather actually wasn't bad, Like it was great. I'm sure everybody had fun, but like it's a waste of time, that's what that's what it is. Luckily, it sounds like nobody got hurt. And now you move on to another game that is kind of similar to this game you just played against Austin Pea. Because Jacksonville State they're not any good. They are G five, so it's not as if they're an FCS team. This is a team that is in the same you know, FBS classification that you are, but they're not very good. They got demolished by Coastal Carolina last week, and Louisville big time favorites once again. In fact, I'll have to double check the spread. I know it opened it Louisville minus twenty one, and I think at last I checked, it got up to Louisville minus like twenty seven and a half or something like that. I feel like maybe that I don't know, but I know there was a lot that wrong. Is it up to twenty seven twenty eight? Yeah, so that makes a little more sense. But so again, I'll probably just be honest. We probably won't do a ton of Jacksonville State conversation just like we did in Austin P. However, I do think it's interesting that Rich Rodriguez as their coach. Like obviously Louisville fans remember Rich rod from West Virginia, and if you follow college football, I'm sure you're well aware of his resume, his story a guy who left Michigan, I'm sorry, left West Virginia to go to Michigan, didn't work out there, then ended up getting an opportunity at Arizona, and then he had a mistress situation going on where he had staffers that were quite literally their job was to make sure that the wife and the mistress were never in the same place together. That was like the job duties of one staffer. So he gets fired there and then he now he's landed here at Jacksonville State, so he'll bring his team into town and they'll probably get their ass kicked, just like Austin P did. And then Louisville can you know, shift focus to games where there's actually something on the line. And by the way, Louisville is up to number twenty two in the AP pole. I think number twenty three in the coaches poll. So Louisville is a ranked team right now that I mean, I assume they would jump up. But you really never know, right because when it comes to some of the teams that, like you knew Florida State was going to drop off, but hey, Boston College and Georgia Tech, maybe they jump ahead of you when it comes to the rankings because you know they actually beat a team that at the time they well, I don't know, Boston College. They did take a significant jump. They're just right outside the top twenty five, but like those wins against Florida State don't look as good now. But nonetheless, Louisville is up to number twenty two in the AP pole. And now you've got Notre Dame number five, Miami number twelve, Georgia Tech's twenty three, Clemson State in the top twenty five. At twenty five, I mean, you've got four games coming up in the next month and a half against ranked teams. Now, will they still be ranked at that point? Tough to say. I mean, Notre Dame in Miami are going to be a ranked when you play them. Miami really really good, by the way against Florida, which, by the way, that's something we can get to a little bit later on. We'll only know whenever. You know, weeks go by and you see these teams after just one more than just one game, but like Miami looked good. But was it more to do with Miami or was it Florida and Billy Napier, like clearly being in a situation where that thing's not salvageable. I mean, you've got Clemson getting destroyed by Georgia and Davos Sweeney. I mean, I think he was probably one of the most talked about people within college football after Week one, just because you know, he didn't add a transfer. The only other schools that didn't add transfers of the service academies who can't add transfers, And he tritted a team out there that just a few years ago would have been expected to compete and would have been expected to win because they were on top of the sport. It was one A one B yam on Clemson saving and Sweeney. And now you know, things have changed drastically in just a few years time. So it's almost as if Devo's not really doing his job by just refusing to realize that the game has changed and the job requirement has changed. If you are not competing in the portal to go get good players that are available and you know, try to keep the guys that you want around so they don't like if you're not doing that, you're quite literally not doing a huge part of your job. Like, I mean, at what point does Clemson realize they may have they may be able to fire this guy for cause because he's simply just is not doing a huge part of the job. Like they'd never do that. He brought up two national championships, so he'll probably never get fired there. But it's going to get weird and awkward if this thing continues to play out the way where because they're going to be all right, they're not going to be terrible, but they're going to be probably a borderline top twenty five ish team for the foreseeable future if they don't make any if Dabo doesn't adjust and start utilizing the portal and for his pride and his ego in him just being a weird ass dude, Like he'd be fine with that because he's doing it his way, but like Clemson fans can't be cool with that. Who would look that that'd be terrible, especially knowing that you could be a lot better. So anyways, long story short, Clemson, they're I mean, they didn't look good. They got demolished in the second half, but like most teams would get demolished by Georgia. But again, what was that more about Georgia being just stupid good compared to everybody else? Or is that you know more about Clemson just showing us that, Hey, because Dabo won't go to the portal, this Clemson team is not. This program no longer has the ability to get as high as they once were. Right, their ceiling is so much lower now because the game is changed in other programs are utilizing the portal in a major way. The richer getting richer, right, Like, let's be real, put your poral rankings aside. The best of the best still who they want in recruiting and in the transfer portal, Right, Like, go look at I mean, who was it? Was it Georgia or Alabama this weekend where every touchdown that was caught was by somebody who transferred in I think it might have been George And I feel like I might have heard that stat because of the obvious portal component within that matchup where George is gonna utilize the portal. They're gonna get better in it like most teams, and Clemson's just decided not to do it because of Dabosweeney. So anyways, I'm ready to get these games over with. We got one out of the way, we got another one coming up this week. I hate to sound like that, but I'm just being honest with you. I think that's what I'm supposed to do, right, share my honest opinions. And I hate these kind of games. It's good to get them out of the way early to where you don't have to play, you know, Austin p in week eleven like some teams do. But I just as a selfish fan, I want my team each week in, week out to have a chance to go pick up a win that has some currency attached to it. There's value there. You did something and it mattered. You've now changed how people see you because like Boston College last night you beat Florida State, like USC the other night they beat LSU. So you don't want that every week where you're playing you know, legitimate top ten teams. But I mean, it's nice to see the new offense that Jeff Brohm has. When I say new offense, I just mean the new pieces. He's still doing the same thing offensively, but you know, obviously he's got a lot of new players via the portal. It was good to see Tyler Shuck look like I mean a very you know look, he look good. I mean, he could have had eight touchdowns if they kept him in the game. You saw Isaac Brown show why he's got an electric He showed the electrifying speed we've been hearing about the true freshman. I mean, I know he still listed at four string on the depth chart today, but I wouldn't be shocked if by the time we get to midway through the season he's the guy they lean on more than anybody when it comes to carrying the ball the tight ends. I mean Mark Redmond, that perfect touchdown, I mean that connection from Shuck to Redman was beautiful. Ja Corey Brooks looks like a guy who oh yeah, that guy's pretty good. Makes sense. He was catching touchdowns for Alabama just a couple of years ago. So I loved it. But like I know, it doesn't really tell me anything, and that's not a bad thing. It's just selfishly as a fan, like I would love to know that you beat an ACC team or look, you can't control it. You're gonna have these games on your schedule every year. And if I'm mad at anybody this WEEKU, you've med at Indiana because they should be on the schedule, not Jacksonville State John.
Speaker 3: That's true, and I'd be I wouldn't say I'd be feeling like Indiana is gonna come into Cardinals Stadium and win, but I'd be feeling a lot better than I would if.
Speaker 2: Tom Allen were still the head coach.
Speaker 4: That's true, I mean, but that's not saying a whole lot, right, Yeah, I mean you said you wanted Indiana and O in by more than they did, which had me double checking to see if I maybe.
Speaker 2: They killed them. They didn't.
Speaker 4: They cover the spread, So like what the thing is, You're not being satisfied, though, is what I love, because you know Signetti can do better.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, they had such a great start. I believe they scored touchdowns on their first two drives. It looked like they were gonna run away with it, which they did. I just expected it to be more along the lines of, like, I don't know, fifty two to seven something like that.
Speaker 2: Instead of thirty one to seven.
Speaker 4: They look pretty good. I mean, when's the last time they got a season started with a win like that.
Speaker 2: I guess twenty thirteen.
Speaker 3: They said, like an FBS opponent, Yeah, with that type of margin and.
Speaker 4: Just beat them down, beat them bad so. And then on the Kentucky side, I got to admit I didn't watch much of their game because I fell asleep when they were in their lightning delay. But I'd say they were probably in a similar situation. They like what they saw, and you know, now you just got to wait and see if it means much of anything when you play, you know, I mean, it's hard to know what any of this stuff really means. But what we do know is that that's exactly what you're supposed to do. All three local teams did exactly what you're supposed to do in those kind of situations, although you know, Kentucky's game didn't get to finish it because of the lightning stuff, which is just to mean shout out to those fans. By the way, I didn't actually see a number and I didn't you know, I maybe it wasn't, but I know they kept showing the fans that had had you know, waited out the weather delay. They weren't selling beer during the lightning delay, which sounds like torture. I mean, not to sound like a raging alcoholic, but like, if I'm going to be killing time the stadium while we're waiting out this storm delay, like at least let me pound some beers or something. So but yeah, to stick around and be there that long, and you know, not even for an exciting game or a big game. You know, it's a good look on their parts. So anyways, we need to get to our first break. A lot to react to again from the weekend, and we've got Week two already here, and we'll get more into the college football matchups this weekend because there are some good games coming up for sure. However, NFL man, the fact that we're just two days away from kicking off the NFL season, Mahomes and Lamar, I mean, you can't. You won't find a better game. I mean there's only one gaming, you know what I mean, Like, this is the match up the NFL fans want to get the season started, at least, I would assume, So stick with us. It is Coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety and the Internet is a wild place. It's a wonderful place. The I mean, seemingly the entire world making fun of Florida State football has just been it's been delightful. This one is this is a this has got four point two million impressions, this tweet, and it comes from an account that is called the College Football Meme Zone. And it's a photoshop picture. It's got like a fake TMZ watermark on it as if it's like a like a really valuable picture that TMZ obtained from somebody that they paid for. And it shows the roof where the shooter tried to kill Donald Trump a couple of months ago. You guys remember that, right, And it says breaking TMZ release has never before seen photo of a second shooter and the attempted Donald Trump assassination. And it's DJ Dju just running around. I mean, they just photoshopped him up on the roof because you know that's how bad he. I mean, like again, like maybe that's a little little tasteless, but like I can at least see the humor in that. And you know, the guy who was apparently gonna eat dog poop, Like if you followed that at all, Johns insane. I mean this, I mean, this is wild and the fact that here we are, you know, the next day, and it's still something that seems to be being discussed across the college football world online. Like I think people are really gonna, you know, do whatever they can to make sure this guy is held accountable. Then he does own up and do what he claimed he would do, which is eat dog poop if Boston College beat Florida State, which is exactly you know, is exactly what happened. So I don't even know if this guy. He's deleted his account, so I haven't even seen like an old screenshot of his Twitter account to see if. Like he was like a very highly followed guy within the Florida State football Twitter world, Like I really don't know, but he's very pop I mean, he's I shouldn't say popular, but I mean he's somebody that you know, a lot of people are are trying to figure out who he is exactly. But yeah, he claimed that he would eat Yes, is Florida State loses to Boston College this weekend, I will eat dog bleep out of a red solo cup with a spoon, and it also goes on to say that and post a video of me doing it. Book it well. Then, once it was quite clear that they were gonna lose, he deleted his account midway through the game, and when of barstool Sports his guys was able to track him down, get his snapchat, got his phone number, and he hasn't like publicly outed him or I guess what they say is dosing. But is it gonna get to that point? Like, you know, I'm all for childish humor, right, Like I'm I'm I mean, I'm immature like everybody else, right, But why do people really want this to happen?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think a part of it is people wanting to see somebody follow through with something so completely ridiculous, But the overall thought in general of somebody eating dog poop on camera is just insane in general.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, this is from Jack McGuire Barstool Sports. He says, the dog poop eater is on the run, like you wouldn't believe. In the last hour, he has deleted his Instagram and his Facebook. The man is recently engaged. Imagine explaining to your soon to be wife why you had to go zero dark thirty on social media. I have this Beyonce's Instagram. I think I may draw the line at involving civilians, but I'd be lying if I didn't consider it. And like everybody's like, you gotta get him, and I mean, like you realize nobody can.
Speaker 5: Like he.
Speaker 4: Probably should have just never deleted his account and just left it up and like been like, yeah, I'm not doing that. But like the fact that he just tried to no longer exist on the internet, it led to people, I guess, having the reaction of he can't get away with this. We're gonna we're gonna figure out who this guy is. We're make sure he does in fact eat eat dog poop. I mean, you never really know. I always say this about Twitter, like if you're on Twitter, and by the way, Twitter, Twitter is entertaining for sure when it comes to like sports, and it's such a constant thing. It is the you can do two different versions of your feed. You can do stuff that you that that the algorithm thinks that you may be interested in, or you can just do to a straight feed, or it's just in real time what people are posting. And I don't as we've discussed before. I'm not sure if there's any other social media out there that's like that, so that that may that's a that's a benefit of Twitter in my opinion, but there's so many people that aren't on it. So because it's a constant and if you are somebody active on there, it is it's difficult to remind yourself. Oh, there's a lot of people that don't know what the hell I'm talking about because they're not on Twitter, and they're probably better off for it. So you never know, like what something from Twitter, if it's got millions of views across the Twitter world, like, did it make it big enough to where it was going to like be a known thing for somebody that's not on Twitter. But when Scott ben Pelt last night on Sports Center talked about it, I mean that's when you know this became bigger than just Twitter.
Speaker 6: Teams down, that's understandable. They're not down as bad as that dude on the Internet who said he'd be dogfoop out of the Solo Cup. They you think you just get to delete your accountant. The Internet ain't gonna forget that, buddy. You don't get to just keep it moving and get a new name or something. People are gonna find it.
Speaker 1: That's how that works.
Speaker 4: So again, I'm sure it's just people, you know, messing around on the internet, but I can't. I do sense a weird level of you know, does I think people want to see him eat poop? And I'm like, who would want that?
Speaker 2: People just want to see somebody go through torture?
Speaker 3: I guess, especially a Florida State fan now, because they're kind of.
Speaker 4: Do they not have weak weak stomachs? I mean I don't if I had like a mortal enemy that you know, I wanted to, you know, to suffer in life, I wouldn't want to watch them eat dog poop because it would make me throw up.
Speaker 2: I just don't.
Speaker 4: I don't get it. And yet, like you know, like people are like what you're saying, this guy thinks he can get away with it, and I'm thinking, I mean, like, why do you care? Like he's probably embarrassed enough, hasn't the hasn't the harm been done here?
Speaker 3: Imagine if he doesn't even have a dog and he has to find somebody else's dog to get the poop from, that's even worse. Yeah, I mean, how do you ask somebody college to use their dog for a few minutes.
Speaker 4: College football gives us weird weird stuff, does it not?
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't have it any other way.
Speaker 2: I love how Florida State too.
Speaker 3: They bookend it week zero to the end of week one with headlines of them just not living up to expectations.
Speaker 4: Harrassing themselves, right, I mean, it's it's not a good look. And I mean I'd be a liar if I said that this is a good look for the ACC. But just given the fact that we know they don't want to be in the league, and look, I'll be honest with you, as much as it's nice to see them kind of have to be humbled in a major way, in a way they never thought possible, I also am still aware that the ACC is going to be a better league if they're in it. Like let's just like we can point laugh and you know, I guess you'd never really want anybody to be a part of something if they don't want to be a part of it. But they don't have any options, Like they're not going anywhere, and it's not a good thing that they were preseason top ten and now they look I mean now they're the embarrassment of the country. But overall, like the ACC, I mean, maybe this is an unusual year to where you do pretty well in non conference games and you end up, you know, I'm trying to envision a scenario where the ACC starts to get the benefit of the doubt that they seemingly have never got, and I don't even again, I don't know if that's possible, because Vandy beating Virginia Tech was a really bad look for the ACC.
Speaker 5: It just was.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's embarrassing Vandy. I mean, Vandy is supposed to suck. Vandy does suck, but then they beat an ACC team that, for some reason people seem to think is I mean again, I don't know why. Some of these teams were viewed as this is, you know, the cute, pesky team that might actually end up winning the league this year with really nothing to base it off of. Like Virginia Tech got that love, NC State got that love, and look, it's early. Maybe those teams end up being good down the line, but like, here's here's what sucks. If Virginia Tech does get a lot better and they end up being one of the best teams in this league. Maybe in week ten, week eleven, they're still in position to potentially put themselves in the AEC Championship game because they've done well in conference play. You know what everybody's gonna say when that happens, right, well, geez, how bad's the ACC? They got Virginia Tech competing in the league and they lost to Vandy. Like, you know, it's stupid that we do that, but that's how college football works, and perception matters, man, Like, I know, the twelve team playoff will it's going to do. It's gonna you know, it makes there's so much more inclusion now within the sport, and that's good for especially for fan bases around here. That realistically speaking, i mean, the chances of you ever making a four team playoff in that model is just almost non existent. I mean it's possible, but very very very difficult to imagine. Now it's not as difficult. But you know, like the ACC for years did so poorly in the non conference games that now you know, Georgia beating the hell out of Clemson was probably just because George is that good. But that's not the reaction people are gonna give you. It'll be a little bit of both that George is great in man the ACC. Remember when Clemson used to be good. Now they stink. And you know, the SEC itself, let's be real, they didn't have a great week one, but you never hear that because you know, for for decades they have gotten and honestly deserved the benefit of the doubt because of what they do and not conference action, and they lose what was the pull up the record here? Because yeah, let's see here we scroll down here. I know I had it favored it on my on my tweets here just because Yeah. So the SEC was featured in four spotlight games this weekend and went one to three, including two of their teams getting beat by double digits on their home field. And yet I feel like when it comes to like conference, you know conference, you know, bragging rights and whatnot, like whose league is better? We all know that the SEC is the best league, we all know the big tens behind it, But you know, the ACC, I feel like for a long time has been fighting to or at least, you know, I hope they're fighting. I don't know if they care. I assume they care, like change the perception that they are a solid football league. And you know Bandy beating Virginia Tech was just a really bad look for all that, to be honest with you, all right, if you guys want to join us on the show today, you can five y two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. If you want to give us a call. You can also text in on the LN Federal Credit Union text line five O two six five three zero seven.
Speaker 1: Nighty.
Speaker 4: We are going to be a guest joining us at four h five today. We're going to talk to Zach Barnett of FootballScoop dot com. Before we get to our next break. Let's go to the phone lines and we'll welcome in Chris Chris. How you doing today?
Speaker 5: Hey, Nick, Chris Floyd ain't been on the show in a while.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I didn't get to go to the first game. My son had written white scrimmage at Hanover and I got season tickets and I'll miss this game too at Louisville Football. But it's good to see a quarterback just go through all the throws and do that thing. But I wanted to comment on something. I was watching the Florida State game last night, Florida State and Boston College, and they kept on seeing how much the quarterback for Boston College was going early to practice and really working on his game. Do you think I know, I get caught up, and I know gamblers get caught up. It's hard not to get caught up in the known names, the Notre Dames, the Michigan, the Kentucky's, the Alabama And sometime we as football fans get caught up in these name brand names, but we forget a lot of times the transfer portal.
Speaker 7: How much is.
Speaker 5: It of that these guys are getting some really good players that might wentn't on the Richter scale and coaches, Cause I just when I looked at that guy for Boston College last night, he just looked like one of them guys that just eats footballs and just a really good coach. And if you take.
Speaker 7: A really good coach and you get the guys to buy into your system, you can have a really good team. And I think a lot of times, I'm not saying.
Speaker 5: That Florida State is very, very, very good, but I like the coaching that that guy did last night, and their defense was very very hungry, and I hopefully that's the case with Tyler shut and Bram and some of these coaches, some.
Speaker 7: Of these these guys come from these schools. They're hungry, they get an opportunity to play on national TV. And you know, the best guy's not always the five star guy that everybody's talking about.
Speaker 5: There's always a diamond in the rough. Like Mary State was able to get that kid in basketball using a parable what's the kids that's in the NBA.
Speaker 4: I'm not just yeah John Morant, John Morant.
Speaker 7: Now John Morant was shooting ball in a gym and a guy told the head coach, you got to get down there.
Speaker 5: Man, we got a kid down there that's incredible.
Speaker 7: So I think we're still forgetting Sometime these kids are D one athletes and been putting on the big stage and put in the right systems, sometime it just clicks. I just want your feedback on that because I know we're using so oh, Vanderbilt beat such and such, but who did Vanderbilt get through the NIL? I mean, what coaches did they get in the weightlifting program? So I just want your feedback on that.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Chris, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Man. Yeah.
Speaker 4: When it comes to Boston College last night, I mean, first of all, Bill O'Brien's a hell of a coach and the fact that they were able to get him because their coach just decided. I mean, it is wild how that played out with Boston College. For those who don't remember, Boston College's head coach unexpectedly resigned to go be the defensive coordinator with the Green Bay Packers because at a place like Boston College he just felt helpless. I mean, I can't speak for him, but the reporting on that was that he felt like it at Boston College they need resources when it comes to NIL, and they just aren't gonna get it to where they can be competitive, to where it's almost like he just abandoned the job and was like, look, I will not be able to have the success needed here for this thing to be sustainable. So I'm going to go to the NFL and be a coordinator because in this new world of college athletics, with the portal and with NIL, we're going to struggle meeting Boston College. So Bill O'Brien, a hell of a coach, a guy who know his resume speaks for itself. Well, he decided to go after that Boston College job and he got it. And yeah, last night, I'm sure Boston College has nowhere near the talent that Florida State has, but they got a good coach. Those guys were bought in and they went out there and they kicked their ass to be Hondes with you, which was which was great to see. So, yeah, Thomas Castellano's he's a guy who transferred to Boston College from Central Florida, where he rarely ever got to play. I think he was behind Dylan Gabriel, who, of course, you know, left Central Florida to go to Oklahoma and now he's at Oregon. Well, Castellanos ends up at Boston College, and you know, last year I felt like this kid showed enough to where he'll probably hit the portal and then he'll end up going to a better, bigger school. Well, Bill O'Brien gets the job. Castellanos decides to stay at Boston College because he wants to work for a guy who has had success at the highest level, including the NFL. And yeah, I mean Boston College might be a pretty good team. I mean, again, tough to know at this point. If last night meant Moore said more about Boston College or Florida State, probably a little bit of both. For being honest, but yeah, I mean Tyler Shuck. That's you know, back to to mean, he was a highly regarded recruit for the most part, and when healthy, he's looked like a good quarterback. But there's been a quiet sense of trying to think of the right way to uh, right way to describe it. But I've always felt like Jeff Brohm had a really good feeling about Tyler Shuck, like he wanted Tyler Shuck to be his guy. You know, they were able to get him at a pretty good rate price, I mean compared to some of the other quarterbacks in the portal, which is why once they knew, Okay, here's what we're gonna be able to do for this guy. Nil if he says yes, then we're good at quarterback. We don't need anybody else, Like, we don't need to go to the portal. And if you remember, Louisva got him pretty early, pretty quickly, and there were some people that thought, well, hey, why didn't they wait out to see what other guys end up in the portal. Well, I think it's because Jeff brom knew, Hey, this kid he can do exactly what I need at quarterback. He's got the arm, we got to keep him healthy. But man, he can play. And there was again I know who they played Austin Peek competition not great, trust me, I understand. However, Shuck just got to there's a level of confidence you can just sense within him that I think is different than what we had a year ago. And that's not to say he's gonna have a great ye, I mean, who knows. We'll have to see what Tyler Shuck can do when they play legitimate competition. But all you can do is plays on the schedule, and he looked pretty damn good in that first half against against against Austin p on Saturday. Thank you with the call, Chris, I appreciate it. Let's get to a quick break. If you're on hold, we will get to you coming up here on the other side. Stick with us. We'll finish up the three o'clock hours with your phone calls and your text. Five O two five to seven seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call. Text line Ellenn Federal Credit Union text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety. This is Coffee and Company and we are feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. It's right Coffee and Company're rolling along here on Sports Talk seven ninety. We are fueled about Thorntons. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshment Awards program if you haven't already. You'll save money at the pump and uh, you'll be living right. You'll be will be living life right. And there's no way to guarantee that, but just trust me, take my word for it. Life is better as a member of the Thornton's Refreshment Awards Program. You can go to Refreshment Awards dot com or download the app on your iPhone. You're Android, It's easy to find, it's free, and again you'll be good to go. All right, let's go back to the phone lines. Five O two, five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number if you'd like to give us a call. Let's go to Patrick Patrick. What's happening?
Speaker 8: What's up?
Speaker 6: Nick?
Speaker 8: Just left Thornton's with a peanut butter and jelly doughnut. Hell yeah, Hey, I was just gonna comments on the fact that there's a couple of things that I see that's gonna happen here.
Speaker 7: You know these schools that.
Speaker 8: Have the most alumni, are gonna end up with the most money. And if they don't put a cap on this thing, then they're gonna end up happen to go to like a money tier championship system at some point in the future because their school's gonna get left in the dust if it's gonna be paid for play. You know, a school like Clemson has like a third of the alumni of you know, and that spending power that they don't have. And real quick about the quarterback play. If you don't have a good quarterback, it affects everything that that happens.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 8: You imagine you go through your training camp here Clinton, you're playing Georgia. You have an awesome you know camp off season, everything's looking good. You call play for your quarterback to get in rhythm, a nice, easy little outpass and he throws it at the guy's feet right off the bat, and then the next play run for two yards, and then the next play run right into a sack. That is so defeating. And you know, we've all been on teams that are around teams the inside or outside of sports where if somebody's in a leadership roles dropping the ball, then the whole team is a loser, and that's exactly what's going on down the Clipson. I feel sorry for them down there because they're gonna have to be subject to another year of Kay Pump thinking he's just not good. He looks like a child back there. So if you've got a good stolen quarterback that can handle pressure, well, then your team will respond. But otherwise your entire defense and everyone's gonna quit because they're going to know that they don't really have a chance with a chump a quarterback.
Speaker 4: Thank you for the call, Patrick, I appreciate it. I'll start with your comments about the cap and pay for play and whatnot. I think if you're Clemson, you know, and Clemson is doing ANIL, I mean they wouldn't. I mean, they're participating there, There's no doubt about that, because I don't mean there's no way anybody's playing for free at Clemson when they know they can get you know, a lot of money elsewhere. So you know they're at least competitive in that spot. But when it comes to the portal like that's just that's choosing not to do something that is I mean, it's now part of the job. It's now part of the world of college football, really college sports in general, is that you need good players in order to have success. Right, how you get good players used.
Speaker 2: To just be one way.
Speaker 4: You would go recruit high school kids and then they would come in and you would develop them. And now you know, that's minor compared to the portal. And that's not to say you won't still see these I mean, look, recruiting at the high school vel always going to be important, but now the portal makes it to where it can be almost like a secondary kind of thing. I mean it sounds crazy because again, for as long as college sports has existed, recruiting talent has mattered and it still does. But you can go put thirty five forty guys on your team in the offseason and the bulk of those guys be portal guys, and it's guys you don't have to wait on to develop a whole lot. So you know, when it comes to the CLEM, I mean, I don't understand why Davos Sweeney is not going with the I mean I can't other than him just being a stubborn, stubborn person, Like what is he anti portal about? Like why does that bother him? I don't. I don't get it. But anyways, when it comes to nil, when the paying of players is done by the school, whenever that happens, I guess that's probably next year. Maybe not next season, but the season after that. As far as I don't know, maybe it is next season where the schools themselves are maybe not they're not going to be forced to pay, but we all know they're gonna be told that they can now pay. And if you are somebody that wants to compete at the high level of college sports and you make it clear you're not interested in paying, then you're not gonna have success. Nobody's gonna want to come play for you. So I think the cap on n it'll never exist. I mean, here's what you probably should do. But if you are somebody that is worried about wasting money and they're not really being any good return on set investment, collectively, people within the highest level of college sports need to get on the same page and let transfers and high school kids understand, yes, you will get paid to play because now the schools can pay you, and you're going to get this allotted money that everybody else is getting. And you can also make money through NIL, but it's not name, image and likeness. It's really a signing bonus. We have to call it an IL, but we know that's not what it is. The days of you being able to say, hey, we want three million dollars to come and play here, that's not happening because there's no way you could justify that you have that value and that worth. But my gut tells me there's always going to be a school that will be able to round up money and they'll go pay for that because they can they have the resources to do so. So I still think you're going to see that number climb every year. As far as what the best players are able to get for playing college athletics, which again, for the longest time that was unhart. You couldn't do that. Now it's I mean, this thing is so much in our face now as professional sports. Anybody claiming it's not is just in complete denial. All right, we got two more hours left. We'll talk with Zach Burnett, a football scoop to get the four o'clock hours started right here on the other side, So stick with us. It's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's on sports Talk seven ninety