Speaker 1: Five care CD talk station, Happy Monday, Extra Special Monday. We're going to introduce you to a terrific charity, one that I certainly can relate to. Christ to Power, executive director of Giving Voice Foundation, Welcome to the fifty five care sing Morning Show.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Let's start with your organization before we get to the fun and games of the bourbon raffle, drinking for charity, which makes it justified in all cases, especially given the types of bourbons that are involved in this. In this bourbon raffle you're doing. But the Giving Voice Foundation, my listeners know, and folks who listened to my father before I came, I know he passed away from complications of Alzheimer's and it was just such an awful thing to behold a man he was so sharp and so brilliant. To see his mind deteriorate to the point where he couldn't communicate, It's just so awful. And that's what your organization, Giving Voice Foundation deals with, is seniors with Alzheimer's. Am I right?
Speaker 2: That's exactly right? And I you know, I'm always my heart reaches out out to those who are impacted, and it's hard to find anyone who is not impacted by Alzheimer's disease anymore. It's such a far reaching experience.
Speaker 1: The statistics, the statistics bear out out that it's becoming a more is it more problematic? And if so, I mean, do we have any connection as to why or is just that people are living a lot longer these days than they used to.
Speaker 2: Well, there's definitely a blend, Like you said, people living longer, there also is more awareness and identifying the disease process. And so I think what we're seeing also on the other end of longevity is there's early diagnosis for people as young as in their forties or fifties. And as you know, this disease can be very long term in its expanse as well, so you know, sometimes ten twenty years. So I think both ways. You know, science has improved as well as our longevity of our bodies.
Speaker 1: All right, real briefly here, And I don't want to put you in the spot if you don't know, you don't know, but I don't either. I have heard early diagnosis and I've heard they can diagnose it. Do you know what's involved in a diagnosis? Like if I went to the doctor, and I said, I want to be diagnosed to see if I have Alzheimer's, the onset of Alzheimer's, what they do and how they go about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's you know, there are some there's some cognitive assessments that are done, there's some blood work that is done, and ultimately they do without having the gene one of the genes. That's one small portion of the diagnosis. There's then people who do not have a gene who still have a very various forms of dementia, like vascular dementia that goes along with heart issues, or Louis body or frontal temporal lobe. There's so many more than just Alzheimer's disease. But there's the assessments that are that have enough red flags for a physician to be able to say, you know, yes, you are diagnosed, and here's here are some resources that are available, because unfortunately, there is no way to ultimately diagnose until once a person has has passed away, and there's there's not a lot of medication. There's there's one that is FDA approved, but there's not much that can be done to slow or reverse the effects of the disease.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm praying for that day much in the same way I am praying that some day they have cared for cancer. I am praying so hard that someday that they can come up with something to you even do with Alzheimer's. Again, that my personal experience, and of course I just weep for my mom and what she had to go through. It's just terrible. Which leads us over to the Giving Voice Foundation. What is it that your organization does for folks who obviously have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's or dementia.
Speaker 2: Well, like you said, it's such a toll on the care partners, whether it's your spouse, or it's your parent, or it's a peer who is diagnosed and lives through the disease. So Giving Voice Foundation exists to provide direct services and support and social engagement for the person diagnosed and their care partner. We really find that these boots on the ground services for people make such a difference. So I really like to highlight two parts of our programming. The first is we do offer an opportunity for care partners to come and meet with a licensed social worker to discuss their specific loved one and their scenario and situation so they can become equipped and get resources and support an education for their journey. And then the bulk of our other programming is social engagement. What we found is Alzheimer's disease and dementias are such an isolating type of disease that it's really important to create a safe environment where people are accepted just as they are. You know, you, whether your memory is starting to go or words are escaping you and you just feel uncomfortable in regular society. That's why we create space and we weave in things like music and movement. Oh yeah, and yeah, like just lots of opportunities that create joy and purpose and they're dual tasking and so there's real science also behind our programs that just appear from the outside very joyful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, that's I'm glad you mentioned because I'm looking at your site. Music in Motion one of the things my dad, when is in the assisted living facility, just absolutely loved and a shout out to Tim Goldry and the lead singer for the Menus. He goes to these different facilities and performs. My dad loved and he came there and sang. He just thought he was the greatest entertainer just really got a kick out of it. So it was a really bright spot in in otherwise sometimes not too bright day, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, music is such a healing force. And you know when you then pull up music from a person's life when they were eighteen or twenty or twenty two years old, it really has the capacity to call a person into the moment. It's amazing how people join in and sing all.
Speaker 1: Right, well it's Christ the power I'm holding you over because we're gonna get now we've mentioned the Giving Voice Foundation. It's Giving Voice FD and dot org. Oh look, you can donate and help them out, or you can buy Bourbon Raffle tickets. We're gonna have Chris to talk about the Bourbon Raffle, what's involved with that and where you get the tickets. When we come back, it's just a few month minutes.
Speaker 2: Wait around fifty five KRC.
Speaker 1: One more time for the e Channa nine with Afork asks rainy, rainy and thunderstormy. Today. We should expect that seventy five.
Speaker 3: Will be the high.
Speaker 1: Things clear up overnight, we'll go down to sixty degrees, we get sunny sky, low humidity, Tomorrow's so a pleasant Tuesday, seventy eight for the high, overnight low of fifty eight, just a few clouds and a sunny Wednesday, and a dry Wednesday. Dry the rest of the week as well, eighty two for the high. It's sixty eight degrees. Time for final.
Speaker 3: Traffic from the UC Health Traffic Center. From massage therapy to stress relief and cancer surveillance. The UCE Cancer Center offers the region's largest supportive services program for cancer patients and survivors. Call five one three five A five U sec see left lane is blocked off eastbound seventy four before Spring Grove Avenue. Traffic is stop and go back to Montana Avenue with a five minute delay. I that he's not like gone fifty five k r C the talk station.
Speaker 1: A forty nine if you do have Kers City talk station Brian Thomas talking to Christa Power Cheesy, Executive effer director for Giving Voice Foundation helping folks with Alzheimer's that will be caregivers as well as the struggling with Alzheimer's all kinds of programs and resources. So I recommend if you are impacted by Alzheimer's to check out their website Giving Voice FDN Foundation, Giving Voice fdn dot org and learn about all the programs that would you just Chris and I just scratched the surface in the last segment of everything that they do. So also maybe consider a donation. Maybe the donation in the form of buying a rare bourbon raffle ticket. Christa, you got some great bourbons you're giving away in this raffle.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're wonderful bourbons and they're very hard to find as a full collection. So this is a buffalo trace antique collection with there's a total five bottles. There's three whiskeys and two rise So it's a really exciting raffle we have going on and certainly an easy way for people to support the work that we do. And I will mention all of the programs and services of Giving Voice Foundation are free. So this is how we go about providing free services is by garnering community support.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let us not overlook the for the low price of a raffle ticket, you have an opportunity to win probably more than ten thousand dollars worth of this these five bottles. The street value of these is outrageous. Twenty twenty three Buffalo Trace Anti collection includes George George T. Stag Bourbon, Thomas H. Handy, sazaac Rye whiskey, sazaak Rye eighteen year old whiskey, William LaRue Weller bourbon, and finally the celebrated eighteen or Eagle Rare seventeen year old bourbon. And did Buffalo Trace got flooded out? Didn't they? Did they lose any of their inventory that flood?
Speaker 2: They did? Yeah, back in the spring they had a horrible flood, so I know that they had to do quite a bit of recovery and did lose some. So we were fortunate to have these bottles donated to us by anonymous donor. And oh and Happy he's available. So I think even more rare than you know, the normal.
Speaker 1: You can't just go to the you can't go to the party source and buy one of these off the shelf because once they show up, they're gone, so.
Speaker 2: Right, exactly exactly. So we're making these available for as low as a twenty five dollars raffle ticket. You can buy one ticket for twenty five dollars or five tickets for one hundred dollars. And June fourteenth is National Bourbon Day. So at two pm we'll be calling the winner, drawing the winner and calling them. They don't have to be present to win, but we will be gathering at Revival Vintage Bottle Shopping comington if people want to come and see the drawing happen live.
Speaker 1: Oh cool. Well, I assure you that you just sold five tickets because I'm going to get online at Sincey with a y Sinceybourbonraffle dot com and that'll walk you through the steps to get yourself some tickets. But I mean, folks, at least I mean I nobody out there. I'm listening on it. It's at least this twenty five bucks. And this is an amazing charitable organization. Again, the services they offer are free and relying on things like this to to provide these wonderful services. So I think it's a low price and you can end up with these rare bourbons on top of it, even if you're not a bourbon drinker. Trust me, someone out there in the world will want to buy them from you, right, Christa.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. You'll have many, many friends coming out of the woodwork. Yes, thank you for choosing to buy and support it. Really doesn't mean a lot and just having the opportunity to share this with your circle, your listeners. We are grateful for people on how they show up for us and it's fun. I hope, I'm excited, you know, for drawing the winner. It's a moment of you know, kind of pause in the drum roll where we have a lot of people in the drawing. And that said, overall, it's not that many people, so you really do stand a decent chance.
Speaker 1: Revival Vintage Bottle Shop, two pm, drawing time, June fourteenth. You want to be there, be there, but they will definitely call you by telephone if you are not there in person. Krista, power on behalf of all those who you have served and continue to serve at giving voice in the foundation. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I'll encourage my listeners to get some bourbon tickets and support the organization and also, you know, rely on the services your organization provides if you're impacted by Alzheimer's. It's a beautiful thing you're doing. Krista, thank you so much for spending time with my listeners of me today, well, thank.
Speaker 2: You and like you said, just as people are so generous to support us. We want to be available for everyone, So tap into us and thank you, thank you for spraying the word, and we'll look forward to June fourteenth, the drawing time.
Speaker 1: I'm sure we'll talk again down the road at some point. Christ that it's been a pleasure having you on this show and thanks again for what you're doing every day. It's eight fifty four folks again Cincy Bourbon Raffle sends you with the y Bourbon Raffle dot Com. Get your tickets if you don't get a chance at man Christopher smith But he's just been on fire of late. He has a real problem with the Cincinnati City of Cincinnati's reaction to the breaking and entering and stabbing that happened with that gym owner and over the Rhine, and it was really disturbing, and of course his widow has been very outspoken about the City of Cincinnati's activities and failure to provide law enforcement in the area. So check Smithman's comments on that Money Money with Brian James podcast, fifty five Cars dot com and Joe have the link for the Bourbon Raffle on my page, as well as the information about Giving Voice Foundation Joe Strekker, thank you for everything you do. I appreciate it. I hope everyone has a happy Monday. Tune in tomorrow for the Bright Bart Inside Scoop and the Daniel Davis Deep Dive and have a great day. Glenn Beck's coming up, so don't go well, a full rundown and the biggest headlines there's minutes away at the top of the hour. I'm giving you a fact now Americans should know fifty five krs the talk station.
Speaker 2: This report is sponsored by a