Speaker 1: Happy hope to everybody. It's the Ben and Skin Show. Appreciate you listening. Don't forget. You can check out all of our segments podcasted online on the iHeart app. You can stream us there. You can catch all the podcasts, listen to previous content. If you want to hear our show and skip the music, you can do that. That's a route some people take. This segment right here is brought to you by her title Barbecue some of the best barbecue could ever have your life. Locations in Mansfield, in Fort Worth and Arlington, two locations of globalie Field, one location coming soon to the Dallas Farmer's Market. Our buddy Brandon Hurtado and their own family spin it is magically delicious barbecue. Tell Brandon we said hi. If you see him or anybody in his family, or when you stop by her title, tell him Ben and Skin sent you. But right now it's stip for this Ben. It's good listeners. Here comes kt fun tweets. We're the round. Now let's go around the sports KT fun tweets. As all this.
Speaker 2: All right, We'll talk about the Mavericks in just a second. Here's where we are with the Cowboys coaching search and all that stuff. If they are actually searching, who knows. They did deny permission to the Bears to interview Mike McCarthy, so they're just hanging in which saying tell you that probably that means McCarthy's back. McCarthy's probably back, and they're negotiating it, and Jerry's saving pennies and maybe trying to throw in some incentives in there. I'll give you two million dollars more you get us to the championship game. You know, that's probably what's going on, unless it's not, but that's probably what's going on. Jerry's done a really good job of keeping it pretty. He didn't slip up like a normal eighty three year old man would like the slip up and tell you what they're doing. Nah, I kind of still don't know, but that's where it seems like this is going. So enjoya McCarthy everyone. That's just unfortunate if you were really wanting change.
Speaker 1: It is bizarre too, because it really felt like the Cowboys are gonna part way with him during the season, and it seemed like they had their guy, but maybe not. Maybe maybe Jerry's just winging it. But I do know this. Jerry is a master marketer, and so he doesn't want to rush out immediately and just say yep, McCarthy's the guy, because then the story's dead. And every day that the story lives, it's free publicity for the ten billion dollar brand. So why would he want it to go away? He wants if he has a deal with McCarthy, then the stipulation is you can't say anything about it till we milk this for every penny it's worth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's got seven days to keep this on his timeline and I'm not moving off what I'm doing, you know.
Speaker 3: So it's it's just very u it's very It's it's actually not surprising.
Speaker 2: You know, you're not going to go out and interview a bunch of dudes, and it's not because of laziness, it's because of comfort.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was thinking about this whole aspect of it. Of Okay, so if you know you're not bringing McCarthy back, and you deny him the chance to go interview you somewhere, that's horrible form. Then I was like, all right, who is that horrible? Form?
Speaker 4: Two?
Speaker 1: And the reason Jerry probably doesn't think it's horrible for him is because he's like the Dallas Cowboys. The line forms to the left of everyone that would drop what they're doing and run here to coach our team. And you signed a contract that has you under contract for another week, so what that's what you signed. So it's like it is poor form. In the rest of the world, especially the NFL world, would look at that as complete trash. But Jerry thinks that everyone wants to be here more than anything, and they would do anything to be here. It's why they low ball everybody. And then at the very end they're like, oh, wait, no, we can't lowball you. We have to pay market value here it is we've waited too long. You're going to miss the first month of the season because they think everyone's just going to do whatever they want to be a Dallas Cowboy.
Speaker 2: Which is not true now anymore, because that's what might have been. That's what no, that's what agents are for. Agents, Go dude, are you serious? Hold by that crap?
Speaker 1: You guys are right, But I'm wanting to Micah, I'm glad you said Micah. Will Micah fall for it? Will Micah take less money? Because he does want to be a Dallas cowboy and he sees the value in that, and they've got him convinced. Look, if you take us for all the money you're worth, we're screwed. We need to go get other players. We need you to get your deal done quickly and give us a home team hometown discount. You think he's going to fall for the banana in the podcast routine? Yes, yes, you know.
Speaker 2: His agent is David Mulgletta, So keep that in mind where going with this stuff. Mike has done a lot of stuff. Micah is one of those guys. He's kind of like Jerry where he almost had to take a grain of salt what Micah says, because he will flip flop on you in a week. Like he's talked about saving us staying taking less, and he's also talked about, you know, I'm just here to get my money, you know, like Micha's greazy.
Speaker 3: That's what happens. We give Mike an hour show every week.
Speaker 2: It's great. I got a clip of Micah here for twenty seconds. Cowboys fans just enjoy this. This is beautiful, dude, This is great.
Speaker 3: Is what do you want to hear?
Speaker 5: We are not done yet and our hope, y'all don't think we're done yet. It's gonna be amazing, amazing, amazing thing to see next year when we're holding the trophy.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's big goals.
Speaker 5: But I'm telling you right now, is holding the trophy, I'm saying my prayers out loud. I'm saying my goals out loud, so y'all can hear them. You know, we're going to be holding a trophy up next year, point blank period.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, they're going to be holding a banner that says number one valuation in all of sports. Yeah they are.
Speaker 2: And uh, you know, I looked at their opponents for next year and I see six and eleven around the corner.
Speaker 3: But that's me.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go through the let's go through the schedule. Oh I don't have the Yeah, okay. The thing one of the hardest things of looking forward to trying to figure out what they're going to be. First of all, when is Dak going to be back? Is he ever going to be the same guy again? Is he ever gonna be able to run again? Is he gonna be back? And he's gonna be fine, hundred percent same guy? Their two their last two first round picks got the worst Pro Football focused grades for the entire season. Yeah, oh mode. They each were first round picks, and they look like Busard. It's early for Guiden especially, it's only when you're in. But they both had the worst grades of any player on the roster. So if you're not fortifying with free agency and you're not hitting on your draft picks, and you keep giving up fourth round picks for nothing, for nothing, how can you have a good roster. I'm in on Trey Lance. I enjoyed that game. I enjoyed that game very much. I enjoyed it as much as those three Super bowls Jerry gave me in the early nineties.
Speaker 3: I think Tray's gonna be good in the UFL.
Speaker 1: I think he's gonna be good there now. I think I think he's a good backup quarterback.
Speaker 2: So so, last year, after McCarthy was told, you're you're good, dude, you're good. We don't need to get to the conference championship game. You're like, you're back for your five year contract. Right, he goes to meet the media. Jane Slater asked him, why should Cowboys fans be excited that you're back for your last year and he does this I'm a winner thing that he always does, and then he ends it with buying to us.
Speaker 1: I right have it.
Speaker 3: I might have it right here, Actually I do.
Speaker 1: I don't know why, I why I.
Speaker 3: Was talking about it.
Speaker 1: I got it right. I think he guaranteed US seven and ten.
Speaker 3: I don't think he did that. Man, here's McCarthy.
Speaker 2: This is again, like this is five days after the season and a week of this just kind of sitting around going, I don't know if I'm coming back or not.
Speaker 1: Experience and why fans by back in she was then a coaching this team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I believe that the direction, you know, the leadership, everything is in place. And I'm not very comfortable talking about myself. But I came here to win a championship. I didn't come here to get another contract or anything other than that. I came to Dallas to win the world championship. And that's why I'm standing here and buy into us.
Speaker 2: Okay, so buy into us next time. Mike is telling everyone we're gonna win the Super Bowl. So Cowboys fans, look.
Speaker 3: You're guys, you're these guys at the top of your franchise.
Speaker 2: Here McCarthy, Micah are telling you, I'm gonna cut him good times are coming.
Speaker 1: No, I'm gonna cut him slack there because he said everything is in place. He didn't know they were gonna lose dan Quinn. And so now when you look back at it, had it played out like you thought and they had kept dan Quinn twelve and five, I'm like, Okay, McCarthy is a He's at least an average head coach. He's not much above that if anything, but he's at least an average head coach. They play well during the week, they have good regular seasons. Whatever he's got, you know whatever, Nothing crazy special there, But I don't mind him coming back in that regard. What I do wonder about is who in the hell is going to suddenly create good offensive plays for this team. None of the receivers get separation, and they have a lot of trouble running the ball, don't you guys think though? Like one of the things that we talked about with them getting rid of Kellen was that he was coming under a bunch of fire. Now I don't think he ended up. He wasn't under the fire that I thought he was under. Because I thought, well, if they don't get to a conference title game. They're bouncing him. Boy was I wrong on that. But there was this perception that there was fire, and so he got rid of Kellen Moore and he started calling the plays. If they're bringing him back and they're doing the same song and dance, again, he ain't under fire. So why couldn't they bring in an offensive coordinator like Ben's talking about?
Speaker 2: They might be negotiating that this week with Mike. Okay, that makes sense and Mike, however, to drag it out and go okay with the Bears.
Speaker 1: But again I like that. That's a great point skin but if they have uh, Typically the way you get a great creative offensive mind is you promote them. So it's the offensive coordinator who's the wonder boy becomes a head coach like Ben Johnson in Detroit. Right, he's going to become a head coach, going to get promoted. How do you go find the guy that, hey, we think he'd be a great offense coordinator, but he's never done it, but he's the WonderBoy of receiver coaches? Well, you go into that tree, because that did happen with the whole Shanahan McVeigh and all that thing, all those guys. All those guys got gigs.
Speaker 3: Dude, it's kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: There's a I'm gonna get too deep here, but there's like a guy who does like these analytics based on the play callers, So he ranks the play callers after each week and then he put out his season ending rankings.
Speaker 1: McCarthy's twentieth.
Speaker 2: McCarthy also had to work with Cooper Rush, so we'll keep that in it. For instance, Kyle Shanahan's seventeenth, but they also had injuries. Injuries as soon as you have excuses. Mike McDaniel's always been seen as a wonder boy. He was fifteenth, but also no t no tua for half the year. Yeah, here's your top seven or eight guys. Lafleur in Green Bay number seven, Kellen Moore number six, like Joe Brady with Buffalo is number two, who I would be highly interested in. The old guy who made Burrow and Jamar Chase work at LSU, Ben Johnson number four. Like you have all these guys who are gonna go get jobs, right, and then you've got McCarthy who's like holding on to a job. Do you got guys who are destined to get these jobs. Yes, that's who I want, not guys holding on for their dear life to jobs.
Speaker 1: Okay doing, but you know what's what and this kind of speaks to what we always talk about with the dysfunction and why it's hard to have any hope whatsoever. So the number four guy was the guy that you got rid of because McCarthy needed to call the plays and like when he and by the way, when he was here, our offense, our offense was very highly rated. And then he went to the Chargers and their offense despite all their problems and their head coach and that chaos was very highly rated. And then he went to where is he Philly this year? And they're very highly rated. So the guy that we had that was the offensive innervator got ran off because of whatever that level of dysfunction is at the top with Jerry and Mike and all that they gave Mike the keys to the car. Yeah right, that's dysfunction.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: So, but the.
Speaker 2: MAVs won last night, one day losing, streaking over shocked.
Speaker 3: That was awesome.
Speaker 1: So shocked by that win. And you know it's on a night where you shoot forty seven percent from three point range. It just felt like everything was going down, You're going to be hard to beat. Give the MAVs credit, they kept fight and they closed up quarters. Different guys picked up slack at different times. Hardy had his moments, Klay Thompson had his moments, but man, I just think Dinwoody's so important during this time where you don't have Luca and Kai. I'm shocked that they won. They were seven and a half point underdogs at home to the Lakers, and man, very meaningful win. They had to have it. I think the way that the thirty six hours unfolded, with how they approached Memphis and then how they approached the Laker game was one huge for Hardy. That Memphis game spiraled out of control in the second quarter when they simply could not get a single basket and it was a very wild offense. And then there was the Gafford injury. So I'm sure they were all, you know, slumped over and hanging their shoulders, but their approached offense was wild. And the good thing that came out of the Memphis game was that Hardy got a really good rhythm. They really need him to be an offensive presence because as you look up and down even like just just in a vacuum and you go, all right, who's the guy that has your best chance of going and getting you six points in two minutes behind Luca and Kyrie? I think it's Hardy. But Hardy's had a horrible year. He had an incredible preseason. He was their best player in preseason. He signed a contract and then immediately fell off. Cliff and kids stopped playing him. Then he got hurt, he missed whatever. It was a month time, a really long time. We've seen Hardy go on incredible offensive binges, I mean incredible, and he had that stretch in the Memphis game where he really got it going and Ben mentioned a second ago his third quarter last night was awesome and it came at a huge time, and is we're gonna have this stretch where we know we don't have Luca. I would suspect we don't have Kyrie for another week minimum minimum. You need Hardy. And the other thing you need Spencer Dinwiddie to do is you need him to involve other people as he goes in stretches where he doesn't. And that's why he's always been combo guard guy. You know, you don't run your team with him, he's combo guard guy. And so if Dinwiddy can approach this stretch like he did last night when he I don't know if it had anything to do with him not getting to start in Memphis or not, but I love the way he played last night, and Hardy catching rhythm is big. It may die in their game against Portland Man. He's been so up and down, but they need twelve to fifteen points a night from Hardy minimum to get both stretch. I hope he takes advantage of the opportunity. Yeah, if Dinwiddy can't do it, no one can. That's why I think if you don't have Lucan, you don't have Kai, I think you'll lose. I think most likely you will lose. Unless you just shoot lights out and have a freakish night where you hit a ton of threes, I would expect you to lose. So the big question for them is going to be how soon can Kyrie come back? Is a bulging disc going to bother him long term? Is that gonna be a thing that's gonna bother him for the rest of the year. I don't know. I think we're gonna have an answer, they said they were saying that they were going to have an answer on the initial treatment in forty eight hours, and that was like twenty four hours ago. If He's going to be out for a long time and Luca's out for a long time, man, they're in huge trouble because the West is so stacked and they'll be fighting to scrap to get in. But look, if you know, it really comes down to win, is Luca back as well? If both those If Kai can come back to help stem the tide while Luca's out, number one, that's the most important thing. But then when Luca comes back, if they're still alive and like in the mix, even to be in the play in, well, then you're gonna have a healthy, fresh Luca for a nice little run there. And I think that might not be all bad, right, like him having a huge rest might not be the end of the world. No, I think it'd be great. I think it's just a matter of what is their record in two and a half weeks, three weeks? Can they stem the tide? If they can stem the tide, you know, they don't anything, No one cares what I think. But I'd be all for don't bring Luca back. Till after the All Star breaks. Yeah, I mean I think that would be massive because I think he's at minimum gonna need a week and a half of just condition I can remember in twenty eleven when they brought in Pasia and Carlisle was like, I'm not putting that guy on the floor boot camp and they put him through two weeks of conditioning before he saw the floor. I think, like having Luca miss an entire month of basketball mid season, He's going to need a week to ten days minimum of conditioning. And what you don't want to do is bring him back and start throwing him in games. So they're going to evaluate him. I believe they said January twenty seventh was when they were going to evaluate him. Man, I would love it if they were in a good enough position to where they could just float a little bit longer and then, to Ben's point, bring him back and he's been fresh after a month and a half. All Right, There you have it. There is Around the Sports coming up next, the only segment of today that will not be posted on the iHeart app, and we want you to follow us there. Follow Ben and skin Show on the iHeart app. You can also subscribe to the Ben and Skin newsletter. Just go to Beninskin dot com and sign up for that. We'll keep you up today on everything we got cooking, but the next segment will not be podcast. You must listen to live. It's the Today game and it's next