Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Wednesday we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of August twelfth, we're continuing with Lost. We watched season one, episode six, House of the Rising Sun, and now everybody who is of my generation is going, it is all sin New Orleans. This is not about a house in New Orleans at all. I sang that song so many times, What a ridiculous thing for young people to say, But that was like, that was a big one because I think it had just a few chords, so if you were just kind of casually learning the guitar, you could play it. And man, did we sing the heck out of that. Anyway, this is in fact about Son and Gin and how they came to be the extremely dysfunctional looking couple they are now, and it turns out that they were once very cute and flirty and smiley, and Jin was the kind of guy who would give his girl a flower and say, one day, baby, this will be a diamond ring. He was very sweet and then dun dunk dum. Yeah, I went to work for her father. Nothing ever, good comes of that. I mean, there are many fathers who have perfectly nice businesses. But in a movie, if a guy says, I'm gonna work for your father, baby, so that we can get married and everything will be great, not going to be great. So, of course, during the during the course of working for her father, who we never meet or really learn anything about, except you get the feeling that he's not running a dry cleaner.
Speaker 2: Is.
Speaker 1: Jin becomes more and more hardened and unhappy and covered with blood when he comes home from work, and Son becomes more and more unhappy, to the point where she's ready to flee, and in the course of getting ready to flee, she learns English. How about that she knew what everybody was saying. I'll so she's at the air there at the airport, Gin, as we've seen before, is checking in while Jack is arguing about getting his father's coffin on the plane, and she just can't do it right or I guess she still loves him, and he conveniently has a flea as he stands there in the line for reasons I.
Speaker 2: Don't well, And also, like you know, the deal was, the plan was that she was supposed to walk away from him at the airport and there would be a car waiting. Well, yeah, I mean the car is waiting like directly outside where they are, Like he would see the whole thing go down if she tried to leave.
Speaker 1: One would think so, yes, although he was focusing pretty hard on the whatever you know one does when one stands in line.
Speaker 2: Right, But I feel like he would have noticed, like her walking out the door and been like, hey, get back here, what are you doing.
Speaker 1: Well, but I guess then if the car drives away, she was saying, they would think she was kidnapped, So I guess it didn't matter. If he saw her driving away, he would assume that, since she was the daughter of a powerful bad guy, somebody had absconded. But whatever, she didn't. Maybe she thinks I'll do it next time we go on.
Speaker 2: Of course, oh dear.
Speaker 1: Now she's stuck with him on this island and he is trying to murder Michael for reasons nobody understands because they can't talk to him, and they don't think they can talk to Son, and oh dear, so Jin winds up handcuffed to a piece of wreckish wreckage while they're trying to figure things out right, And in the end it turns out that Michael had found a watch on the beach and put it on, as one would, and it turns it was in fact Son's father's watch, and Jin was all honor bound to, you know, slay people on the father's behalf. Yeah, you would think that being out on this island you could maybe considered a vacation for more. Maybe you could just sort of not do that for a while, but you.
Speaker 2: Know, or somehow try to communicate, hey, that's mine, can I have it back? You know, maybe dispoint to the watch.
Speaker 1: And then you're that if you talk loud enough language, people can understand you. Yeah. So, so certainly Jin needs to develop some better communication skills, but we are given to hope that perhaps he will soften up a bit, back to his original self, because this is going to be a long show, and if he's just yelling at people and trying to kill them the whole time, you know, come on, man, there's some character growth. We need character growth. When he finds out his wife speaks English, that's going to be an awkward conversation. Yeah, because he won't be able to understand it, but also because exactly why and how did you secretly learn how to use well speak English? Deer? She needs to go to one of the gals there and say, act like you're teaching me English. Yes, you don't have to know it, but just happen like.
Speaker 2: Someone we're just gonna pretty dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's somebody that Claire would help her out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Claire seems to be very friendly.
Speaker 1: She does. I wouldn't go to Shannon who was not in I guess Shannon and Boone weren't in this episode at all, or were just sort of wandering by at one point or something. Yeah, but and then the other big development is that Jack takes a group back to where the water where he found the water and thinks, hey, you know what, why don't we live in these caves where these dead bodies are. I think that'd be a great idea. There's bees, there might be honey, and there's water, and you know there's a rotting flesh, but it's it's old. You know it's been it's been rotting, it's been there for Just shove it over to the corner. There won't be any problem.
Speaker 2: Like love to just be disturbed. It's always a good sign in your in your absolutely in your entertainment property. When there's dead bodies, they.
Speaker 1: Right, what could possibly be wrong? And some people are like, cool water shade, I'm there, And some people are like, we are gonna sit in front of a fire on this beach until they find our dead bodies. So split split between.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, we're gonna live together die alone, right, or we're gonna live together in two separate groups.
Speaker 1: Perhaps you're going to divide into factions. I don't know. I have actually no memory of them living in the caves.
Speaker 2: So I guess it doesn't being discussed.
Speaker 1: I thought, are they gonna not. But see, I don't know. I don't necessarily remember them living us. I don't remember what happens all the little details of this thing. I remember that son spoke English from the beginning, But so from time to time I thought she could have just shown a facial expression that said she understood everything. She was looking very confused all the time. Right, Okay, she's got to keep her cover.
Speaker 2: But hey, and we have Locke becoming Charlie's like shaman. Yes, he's gonna help him quit heroin just by telling him, here's your guitar.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did he see that guitar up there and orchestrate this whole thing or did it just manifest?
Speaker 2: M Well, I mean you never know on this island, right.
Speaker 1: You never know on this island. That is correct. And it's sort of adorable that Locke knew about Charlie's pathetic little band. So that's uh good for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's a good way to get Charlie yeah to him.
Speaker 1: Right, And they have a boombox apparently that has batteries.
Speaker 2: Well, Hurley has his little disc man too, He has like a disc man. I'm like, yeah, how long? How much longer is that gonna last.
Speaker 1: Right, they could at least have been playing House of the Rising Sun. Some of us would like to hear that again. Oh but uh, the flashbacks this week seemed somewhat more pedestrian than the past ones, I think. I mean, it's a very familiar scenario. The reveal that Sun speaks English is I guess the big.
Speaker 2: Right whah, the big moments.
Speaker 1: However, after you have you know, Lock being able to walk. Yeah, you gotta you gotta up the walls after that, and that has that's not quite there. Yeah, but uh, you know, we have to service all the all the main cast here, so they're not all going to be exciting, right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And for parenting, we had you know, Michael making an attempt to get to know his own child, and yes, well kind of reciprocating by the end there, right.
Speaker 1: He says, what did your mother tell you about me? And he goes, she don't tell me anything. Ouch.
Speaker 2: But I mean maybe whatever she had to say wouldn't have Maybe that was the kinder thing to not say it.
Speaker 1: That's true, I guess so. But she didn't even know his birthday was. So that is a very weird parenting situation though, I mean, It's kind of a little bit like the sudden parenthood and found family of a gentleman in Moscow, except that you were in this very, very strange place. So not only do you have to start parenting your kid, you have to be protecting them from all this weirdness, right, worrying about how they're going to survive. You know, now you're gonna how are you gonna be able to defend them from whatever comes. It's just like you're plunged immediately into the worst part of parenting. Yeah, the hardest part of parenting, right from zero to one twenty. Yeah, so my sympathies. Man, it'd been nice to have like a few months and you know, to get to know each other first. Yeah, before you're on Mystery Island.
Speaker 2: Right, Basically you had, you know, the part of the plane ride that wasn't that wasn't scary and.
Speaker 1: A terrifying crash, and now there's all these weird people and you don't know what to do, and that is not a happy way to start your uh, your life together with your grieving child. Was vincent in this episode role.
Speaker 2: I think they showed him at the very beginning just running around on the beach.
Speaker 1: All right, he's off somewhere. We're sleeping, you know, in some shade. Yeah, do we think he would prefer the caves a lot of water splash and he's better than the beach. I mean, I guess you could go splash around in the ocean, but as we have learned, that can be fatal, you know, and some like dead dead bodies to sniff out. So that's uh of interest. More wreckage to go through and sort more.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe there's some suitcases in here we can check out.
Speaker 1: And Jack tells Charlie to check for medication. I'm like, oh, yes, the wrong guys. You will for certain look for drugs, but possibly not your antibiotics and pain killers.
Speaker 2: Well the pain killers.
Speaker 1: You're at about it? Ah, but uh, you know, Jack is definitely he's more in he's more in dad mode than mom mode this week. Yeah, it's like I've made a plan and this is what we're gonna do. What we're doing, everybody come, yeah, And then some of the kids are like, we don't want to.
Speaker 2: Go, and he's like, ms, stay fine, stay here, see if I can.
Speaker 1: You know, you know, you do your best to find a nice place for the family and the annoying teenagers just want to hang with their friends at the beach. Oh well fine, you know when you get thirsty, you'll want to come by us.
Speaker 2: You're gonna come crying to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, it's rough. And uh, I guess we have once again evil dad in the flashbacks. So this is two evil dads so far. Yeah, this one wasn't even really seen, never saw it. But yeah, evil by reputation, right.
Speaker 2: This happened. This also happens.
Speaker 1: It's not a spoiler. Mm hmmm. I hope it's not. There'll be more evil dads. So well, you did say last week it's a very long series, so you know you said to expect. This guy is arguably eviler than Jack's dad. Jack's dad was just evil on a in a limited scope.
Speaker 2: Well, Jack's dad was evil to.
Speaker 1: Yes, although he doesn't sound like he was such a great guy to anybody else either, But okay, yeah, but he was saving, not murdering people. Oh my daddy issues everywhere? Just can't turn over a rock or enter a cave with it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, were we going to find out that Adam and Eve had daddy problems?
Speaker 1: I don't specifically remember, but I looking at it at a write up of this episode where they cross referenced all the different It's everything in the show is crossed. Pay attention to any numbers that are ever said anywhere at any time, but we do in the future, at some point when ABC's going another season, we do get their story. So to hang on, if we make it that long, you'll find out. Hey, how about you go back to all the dead bodies we've seen and tell their flashbacks. It'll be right. You can get eleven episodes out of that.
Speaker 2: Huh right? Can we get more from the US Marshall who let's have.
Speaker 1: The story about guitar case, how it fell out of the plane, smoke Monster lifted it up, blow it up into a tree. It is so exciting. It's still in tune. Ah yeah, but moving along. Next Wednesday, we will continue with season one, episode seven of Lost, which is called The Moth. Do we know what the Moth? Who the flashbacks are?
Speaker 2: I think Charlie?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we seem seems like we need some Charlie flashbacks. They keep talking about his past. Yeah, okay, that's my kiss, and so we will look forward to seeing more on that fella, and we'll see you back here. Tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout roundup. We both love our dads, so no ye, thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.