Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. We're here to go cut through the noise and get you the insights that matter. And today we're tackling a really big one quantum computing. It's a term you hear a lot. Sounds very sci fi, very powerful, but honestly it can also feel pretty mysterious, kind of complex. So our mission for this deep dive is simple, pull back that curtain. We want to explore what quantum computing really is, what problems can it actually solve, and maybe most importantly from any of you, how do we even start programming these machines. We're leaning heavily on quantum programming and depth solving problems with Q sharking criskeet today. It gives nice practical angle.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'm looking at it now, is well, it's crucial. Understanding the basics helps us see the real potential, you know, help sort the genuine breakthroughs from just the hype. It's about where this is actually heading.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's jump right in that the big promise quantum computers. Are they going to replace our laptops, our phones? Is that the future we're talking about?
Speaker 2: Ah? Yeah, that's the classic question and probably the biggest misconception. The short answer is no, definitely not. Quantum computing isn't designed to take over everyday.
Speaker 1: Tasks, really not even faster.
Speaker 2: Nope. In fact, for things like email, web browsing, even a lot of standard data processing, a quantum computer would likely be much much slower slower.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's counterintuitive.
Speaker 2: It is they're just built differently. Their power isn't in general speed, it's entackling very specific, highly specialized problems. Think about problems where classical supercomputers, even the biggest ones, just hit a wall.
Speaker 1: Like what kinds of problems?
Speaker 2: Well, material science is a huge one. Simulating exactly how molecules behave at the quantum level, or simulating other quantum systems. These are problems where the underlying physics is quantum.
Speaker 1: So classical computers struggle because they're trying to imitate something fundamentally different.
Speaker 2: Precisely, the complexity just explodes for classical machines. But if we could simulate new materials accurately, think about the possibilities new catalysts for energy, better batteries, maybe room temperature superconductors, new drugs, it could genuinely revolutionize industries.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's not a faster everything machine. It's more like a specialized scientific instrument, maybe a super microscope for certain kinds of problems.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. A very powerful, very specific tool.
Speaker 1: So if it's this specialized tool, yeah, what does it actually look like and how do we interact with it? Are we talking glowing boxes? Well?
Speaker 2: The reality right now is interesting. We're in what John Preskill called the noisy intermediate scale quantum era NIQ for sure.
Speaker 1: A nice que Okay, what does that mean? In plain English?
Speaker 2: It means the devices we have now are big enough that simulating them perfectly on a classical computer is basically impossible. So they are quantum in a meaningful way, but there's still relatively small in terms of quid account. And crucially, they're noisy. They make errors a lot noisy.
Speaker 1: That doesn't sound good for computation.
Speaker 2: It's the main challenge. It limits the complexity and length of taculs we can run reliably, and the hardware itself it's quite diverse. You've got superconducting circuits cooled down to near absolute zero. There are trapped ions using lasers to hold and manipulate individual atoms. Also neutral atoms, photonics, lots of different approaches being researched, huge engineering efforts.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so the hardware is complex, developing and noisy. That sounds challenging to program for Do I need a PhD in quantum physics just to write Hello World on one of these?
Speaker 2: Hah? Thankfully No, that's another common worry, But it's not necessarily the case. You can actually learn quantum computing through quantum programming. Focus on the problem solving aspects first.
Speaker 1: How does that work? Isn't the physics kind of.
Speaker 2: Essential it underlies everything? Yes, But there's a quantum software stack, much like the classical one we're used to. It provides layers of abstraction hardware control the bottom than middle layers for optimization, error handling, and then the tools. Programmers use quantum languages like q shag or quiscuit, their compilers, libraries, and really importantly, quantum simulators.
Speaker 1: Simulators.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like emulators exactly. They run on your classical computer and mimic a quantum computer. We'll come back to why they're so vital. But the point is you can start programming without mastering all the deep quantum mechanics. First, what you do need is some comfort with basic linear algebra.
Speaker 1: Linear algebra, okay, vectors, matrices, complex numbers, that's.
Speaker 2: The language, yes, because quantum states are represented by vectors and operations are matrices. If you have that foundation, you can start building algorithms that.
Speaker 1: Actually sounds manageable, more like learning a new programming paradigm than becoming a physicist overnight. It is.
Speaker 2: Think of it that way.
Speaker 1: Okay, so if we're programming, let's imagine we're sitting down to write some quantum code. What are the absolute basic things we can do? The fundamental operations. Yeah, like the quantum equivalent of setting a variable or doing an addition.
Speaker 2: Right. You can break down almost any quantum algorithm into three fundamental stages. First, state preparation. You start with your quivots, usually all in a default state, typically the zero state, analogous to a classical bit being off.
Speaker 1: Okay, starting point all zeros.
Speaker 2: Then you need to transform them into the state you actually want for your computation. Often this involves creating a superposition that's.
Speaker 1: The zero in one at the same time thing sort of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a combination, a blend of zero and one are each with a certain weight or amplitude for a single quibit. A key tool is the right theta gate. Think of it like a knob you turn to set the precise mix of zero and one R.
Speaker 1: Got it. Prepare the initial mix. What's next?
Speaker 2: Second unitary transformations We usually just call them gates. These are the quantum logic operations. They act on the quibbits to change their states, maybe entangle them with other cribits. So like A and D or are not gates in classical computing analogous, yes, but with a crucial difference. All quantum gates must be reversible.
Speaker 1: Reversible meaning you can always undo them exactly.
Speaker 2: If you know the output state and the gay used, you can perfectly determine the input state. This isn't true for many classical gates, like A and D. You can't tell from the output zero whether the inputs were zero, one, zero, one zero or zero zero.
Speaker 1: Huh. Why is reversibility so important?
Speaker 2: It's fundamental to quantum mechanics. Information can't just be destroyed. It means we have to design algorithms differently, carefully preserving information instead of discarding intermediate results.
Speaker 1: Okay, prepare the state, apply reversible gates. What's the third step, third measurement. This is the only way to get information out of the quantum computer.
Speaker 2: To read the result makes sense.
Speaker 1: You have to measure to see what happened.
Speaker 2: But here's the quantum catch. If your quibit is in a superposition, the measurement outcome is probabilistic, non deterministic.
Speaker 1: WHOA, So you don't get a definite answer.
Speaker 2: You get a definite answer either zero or one for a single quibit, but which answer you get is determined by probability. The probability of getting say zero I, is related to the square of its amplitude in the superposition before measurement.
Speaker 1: So it's like the computation explores many possibilities via superposition, but when you look you only see one randomly chosen based on those possibilities.
Speaker 2: That's a decent picture. Yeah, The measurement collapses the superposition into a single classical outcome.
Speaker 1: That sounds incredibly tricky to debug. If you run the same code twice, you might get different answers just due to the measurement randomness.
Speaker 2: You absolutely can, especially if the final state is a complex superposition. And this brings us back to the simulators I mentioned.
Speaker 1: Ah The classical programs that mimic quantum computers.
Speaker 2: Yes, they are a programmer's best friend, especially when learning why because on a simulator you can cheat.
Speaker 1: Cheat how you can.
Speaker 2: Pause the simulated execution and peak at the internal quantum state. Look at all the amplitudes the full superposition without simulating a measurement.
Speaker 1: I see, you can see the probabilities before the dice roll happens.
Speaker 2: Exactly. You can see the full quantum state. That's a luxury you absolutely do not have on real quantum hardware. A real measurement is irreversible and collapses the state.
Speaker 1: So simulators are crucial for development and debugging, especially for smaller problems where simulation.
Speaker 2: Is feasible invaluable. You test, debug, understand your algorithm on a simulator first.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have our building blocks. Prepare the state, supersition, transform it reversible gates, and measure probabilistic outcome. Got it? How do we use these blocks to actually solve something useful, maybe something faster than a classical computer. Let's connect this to a real problem. You mentioned search problems earlier. How could these quantum operations help with something like well, the n Queen's puzzle that's a classic computer science.
Speaker 2: Problem, right. The n Queen's puzzle is a great example, and it leads us to one of the most famous quantum algorithms, Grover's search.
Speaker 1: Grover Search. I've heard that what's the core idea.
Speaker 2: The core idea is providing a speed up for unstructured search. Imagine you have a huge list of items and items and a function that can tell you if an item is the one you're looking for, but you have no other information, no sorting.
Speaker 1: Nothing, so you just had to check them one by one.
Speaker 2: Classically, yes, on average, you'd expect to check about end two items in the worst case n items. We call that on complexity. Grover's algorithm, using quantum superposition and a clever trick called amplitude. Amplification can find the item in roughly o er in calls to that checking function square root events.
Speaker 1: So for a million items instead of a million checks, is more.
Speaker 2: Like a thousand exactly. It's a quadratic speed up. Now quadratic isn't the exponential speed up that quantum computing is truly famous for, like Shores algorithm for factoring, But for certain problems we're iren is still a massive improvement over in.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Grover's speeds up search. How do we apply it to end Queen's We need that checking function first, right, a function that tells us if a certain arrangement of queens is a valid.
Speaker 2: Solution precisely, and we need to implement that classical TI checking function on a quantum computer. This brings us back to reversible.
Speaker 1: Computing, because all quantum gates are reversible.
Speaker 2: Right. We can't just compute FX where x is the board arrangement and FX is true or false if it's a solution, and then discard X. We have to preserve the input.
Speaker 1: How do we do that?
Speaker 2: Typically we use an extra enciloquibit. We transform a state x zero, input x and selo zero into exocuibit. If sx is true one, the incilla flips to one. If false zero, it stays zero. The input x ra is preserved ice.
Speaker 1: So the answer is stored in the extra cubit without losing the original board state. What kind of gates do that?
Speaker 2: Multiquibit Gates like cnot control not T, and especially to fully gates C cnot controlled, controlled not T are the building blocks for creating these reversible classical functions.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we can build a reversible n queen's checker. Now, how do we represent the board x itself?
Speaker 2: Ah, And this is where it gets really interesting. This is the AHA moment for quantum algorithm design. How you encode the problem matters enormously for a fency. Let's take end four, a small four x four board. A naive encoding might be use one quibit for each square on the board one if there's a queen, zero if not.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's four x four sixteen quibits.
Speaker 2: Right, and the total number of possible states is two hundred and sixteen, which is sixty five five hundred and thirty six. Grover's algorithm would have to search through this huge space. That's a lot of quibits and potentially many many Grover iterations needed.
Speaker 1: Seems inefficient? Is there a better way?
Speaker 2: Definitely and optimize encoding leverages the rules of the puzzle. We know there must be exactly one queen per row, right, so instead of representing every square, we just need to represent the column position of the queen in each row. For n four, the columns are zero, one, two, three. How many bits do you need to represent those numbers?
Speaker 1: Two bits? Can represent four values zero, zero, zero, one.
Speaker 2: Ten, eleven exactly, so two bits per row and there are four rows. That means we only need four rows two bits row. What is eight quippits total?
Speaker 1: Wow, eight quibits instead of sixteen. That's a big difference.
Speaker 2: And look at the search space. It's now just the number of ways to place one queen in each row, which is four choices for the first row, four for the second, and so on. Forty four equals two hundred and fifty six states, two.
Speaker 1: Hundred and fifty six instead of sixty five thousand, five hundred and thirty six.
Speaker 2: That's massively smaller, huge difference. Now, searching two hundred and fifty six states with Grover takes far fewer iterations, roughly two hundred and fifty six, which is about sixteen, but the exact number is around nine iterations for n four. Compare that to searching sixty five thousand, five hundred and thirty six states. It's potentially hundreds or thousands of iterations.
Speaker 1: That really drives the point home. The cleverness isn't just in the Grover algorithm itself, but in how you set up the problem for the quantum computer.
Speaker 2: The encoding is key, It's absolutely fundamental. Choosing the right representation can be the difference between a feasible quantum solution and one that's completely impractical.
Speaker 1: This n Queen's example is powerful. It shows the potential but also the subtlety. But it also brings us back to that in ice Q thing you mentioned earlier, the noise. How do these algorithms actually perform on real current noisy hardware, and what's the path forward to running larger problems reliably?
Speaker 2: That's the billion dollar question. Really. The NISQ devices we have today, well, they struggle with noise. Error rates are relatively high. Running grovers for even moderately large n or more complex algorithms is extremely challenging. The errors accumulate and destroy the computation.
Speaker 1: So what's the solution? Just build better, less noisy hardware.
Speaker 2: That's part of it, definitely, but the long term vision, the ultimate goal is fault tolerant quantum computers.
Speaker 1: Fault tolerant meaning they can correct their own errors.
Speaker 2: Exactly using principles of quantum error correction. It's conceptually similar to error correction in classical computers or communication, but much more complex due to the nature of quantum states.
Speaker 1: How does it work?
Speaker 2: Roughly, the core idea is redundancy. You don't use just one physical quibut to represent the information you care about, instead a single logical quibit. The quibit your algorithm actually uses is encoded across many physical quibots on the hardware.
Speaker 1: So one quibot in my program might actually be say ten or one hundred physical quibots working together.
Speaker 2: It could be hundreds or even thousands, depending on the code and the desired level of protection. This introduces enormous.
Speaker 1: Overhead overhead, meaning extra resources.
Speaker 2: Massive extra resources. A single logical gait operation in your algorithm might require performing dozens, hundreds, maybe more operations on the underlying physical quibuts to detect and correct errors while preserving the quantum state, and some operations are particularly costly, things like arbitrary rotations those rye or RS gates we mentioned for state preparation. Implementing them tolerantly often requires something called magic states.
Speaker 1: Magic states sounds exotic, they are.
Speaker 2: There are special, highly entangled resource states that have to be prepared and consumed, adding significant complexity and cost to the computation. It's like needing a very rare, expensive tatalyst for certain reactions.
Speaker 1: Okay, so fault tolerance is the goal, but it comes at a potentially huge cost in terms of the number of physical quibits and operations needed. This sounds like it pushes practical quantum computing further into the future.
Speaker 2: It's definitely a long term engineering challenge. We're talking potentially millions of physical quibits for some applications. But it also highlights why just looking at the theoretical number of steps in an algorithm like oh you friend for Grover isn't the full story.
Speaker 1: You need to consider the physical cost of running it reliably precisely.
Speaker 2: And that's where another set of crucial tools comes in Quantum resource estimator.
Speaker 1: What do they do? Estimate the resources needed?
Speaker 2: Yes, tools like the Azure Quantum Resource Estimator allow you to take your quantum algorithm, specify assumptions about the future fault tolerant hardware like quibet quality operation speeds, and it estimates what you'd actually need.
Speaker 1: What kind of estimates does it give?
Speaker 2: It estimates the total number of physical creepits required and the expected runtime to execute your algorithm fault tolerantly. This gives a much more realistic picture of the true cost.
Speaker 1: Can we apply that back to our end For Queen's example, the optimized one with eight logical quivits, what would that look like on a fault tolerant machine.
Speaker 2: It's a great test case running the resource estimator on that optimized and for grover Search, well, depending on the specific assumptions about the error correction code and hardware, you might be looking at something like, say three minutes of runtime, but requiring around three hundred and forty thousand physical quipits.
Speaker 1: Three hundred and forty thousand physical equipments for just eight logical quibuts solving a tiny four by four puzzle.
Speaker 2: That's the kind of overhead we're talking about for fault tolerance. Now, these numbers depend heavily on the assumptions, but it illustrates the scale, and this kind of analysis is vital. It lets us compare the projected cost of a quantum solution against the best known classical solutions for a problem, not just comparing Grover's N against a naive n classical search. We need realistic comparisons to see where the true quantum advantage might lie for practical problems.
Speaker 1: That's incredibly sobering but also clarifying. It paints a much clearer pickre sure of the challenges and the path ahead.
Speaker 2: Wow, we've really covered a lot of ground today, from cutting through that initial hype around quantum computing replacing everything, to understanding its real niche in specialized problems, peeking inside the noisy hardware and getting a feel for the basic programming steps, preparing states, applying gates, measuring and seeing Grover's algorithm in action with En Queen's highlighting just how critical that probleming coding is. Then finally facing the reality of noise, fault tolerance and the massive resources needed. It's been quite the journey, it really has. I think the key takeaways are quantum computing is specialized, not general purpose. It holds immense promise for fields like material science and drug discovery, but we're still in the early noisy and ic Q days. Fault tolerance through error correction is the goal, but it brings significant overhead and as we saw, clever algorithm design and smart problem in coding are crucial. Plus we need tools like resource estimators to realistically gauge the path to practical advantage.
Speaker 1: Absolutely that in Queen's encoding example really stuck with me. How drastically changing the representation altered the feasibility. It makes you think, what other classical problems out there, Maybe problems we think are just hard, could potentially unlock a quantum speed up if we just found a more ingenious way to encode them for a quantum computer. Something for all of you to maybe ponder, what problem could you reimagine for the quantum realm. That's all the time we have for this deep dive. Thanks for joining us and keep exploring