Speaker 1: For members only. Golf Smarter number three hundred and fifty published on September twenty five, twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: Welcome to golf Smarter Mulligans, your second chance to gain insight and advice from the best instructors featured on the Golf Smarter podcast. Great Golf Instruction Never gets old. Our interview library features hundreds of hours of game improvement conversations like this that are no longer available in any podcast app.
Speaker 3: So we have a simple case, for example, a ten foot putt across flat green on a filt that you run into all the time, plus the break. How much does a break? So I've designed two futt putts to tell you all about it. You'll find a two percent slope. We've already described how you though it's two percent, walk straight down till one hundred inches away you can go, and then you stop, and you compare where your foot is to where the hole is, and what's the elevation drop from the hull to your foot. You imagine a stream coming out of the whole dead level and how it is as far as your foot, and hide of the string above your foot tells you how many inches it is to the surface. That's what percent. The slope is. If the string hits your foot at two inches off the ground, it's slope because you've went one hundred inches downhill. Two percent is to over one hundred it's a drop or rise of two inches, a very run of one hundred inches. That's the percent. It's also called the grade. If the string inch your foot at three inches off the ground, and that's a three percent slope. It's through the level of string from the ult your foot hits you in the ankle. That's a four percent slope.
Speaker 1: A graduate level education on reading the greens with Jeff Manga.
Speaker 2: This is Golf Smarter, sharing tips and insights from golfers and golf professionals to help lower your score. It's worked for your host, Fred Green.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Golf Smarter for remembers only.
Speaker 3: Jeff, all right, go, I'm a jacket on.
Speaker 1: We're back the coffee still at McDonald's.
Speaker 3: I have a member's only jacket.
Speaker 1: And you've had it since nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got it from the thristle.
Speaker 1: Well, this is a member's only episode and everyone's got their jackets.
Speaker 3: Welcome fellow jacket word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know for those of you who do remember members only jackets, I'm sorry, So let's talk about putting some more. Explain to me what a stimp meter is and what stimp means, and why we use that word, and is is it relevant to us as average golfers.
Speaker 3: Well, let me just describe to you green speed and the role of stimp meter in knowing and using and appreciating green speed. Okay, Green speed is the friction in the grass that opposes the rolling of the ball. If you're an outer space and you hit a golf ball, there wouldn't be any friction and it would just go forever until it was captured by Jupiter or some of the planet. If you hit a ball on marble, it has very little friction and it will go for a long way. If you hit a ball across grass, the bottom of the grass is in contact with a certain area of the green grass, the same way the tread tires in contact with the road in a certain area. And that area there is basic electrostatic connection between the grass and the ball that opposes the directionality of the ball and slows it down and brings it to a stop. And some greens have less friction than others because they have tight, short packed grass that makes it more in the direction of marble. And some greens have more friction because they have shaggy, buoyant, bulbous, fast and bubbles grass blades with a lot of water inside them like water beds. Grass blades are like water beds, and so the more water there is in the grass blades and the shagger of the grass, the taller the grass, the less packed it is that will have a lot of friction. So there's a range of green speeds, and modern golf course architects and maintenance technology has tried to bring green speeds up to the limit of what keeps the grass healthy and keeps it fast and uniform and true. Today greens can easily be maintained at around nine feet on the stimpmeter, which is about fifty oh it may be fifty or greater quality green surfaces than used to exist in the sixties. It's way better since nineteen eighty than it ever was in nineteen seventy and even today it's getting better. So greens at country clubs and municipal golf courses and high dollar public golf courses or semi private golf courses they can all have a very high quality green surface that does not require us a lot of special speeding up for en global experiences. For example, everybody says bent grass is better than bermuda. In nineteen eighty one, Augusta, Georgia got rid of its bermuda grass and replaced it with bent grass because university researchers had designed the grass that would live in the hot and human South, and prior to nineteen eighty you couldn't grow bent grass in the Custa, Georgia. So as soon as they were able to grow a strain of engineered grass bent grass in Georgia, they ripped out all the permute and redid everything. And they found out that they're buried elephant grounds, and the greens of Augusta, Georgia were too steep for the quicker green speed. Remember it's a combination of the speed and the slope. And they had too much slope because they had old permuted greens with a lot of slope. And when they changed the bent greens, they had to get the bulldozers out and kind of flattened their elephants a little bit, all right. So they did the same thing with Pinehurst. You haven't seen a Donald Ross green because you can't have one today. The grass is too fast to allow that kind of crowning that he used to have. His were really crowned because they were slow. But the story continues into modern times because now they've gone full circle and now the highly engineered bermuda grasses or superior to the bent grasses.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 3: For example, Champions is a strain of highly engineered bermuda grass that you can pack and mow and get low and true, and it is more heat resistant than the special bent grasses of Augusta George in Greensboro, North Ohino. The PGA Tour just finished in the Wyndham Championship and a billionaire bought a bankrupt country club and the first thing he did was rip out all the bent greens and put in Champions dwarf Bermuda greens. And the golf professionals from PGA Tour exuded luxuriously about the wonderful condition of the greens at Wyndham Championship.
Speaker 1: Do golf courses want to have their green as fast as they possibly can? Is that there.
Speaker 3: There's a limit on you know, I mean, if you want to put on marble greens, not yourself out. There's a limit to you know, what is the challenge of golf in the outside of environment. So STEMP thirteen Oakmont is kind of silly. I mean, who wants to play that. It's interesting as a vacation, like going to Disneyland once, but you sure don't want to live there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but when you only play up to play there once, you're probably just going to get torture.
Speaker 3: You won't come back, right, you won't.
Speaker 1: You won't come back. You'll say, oh, I really want to play this game because now I finally after eighteen old, I finally got this bit. Yah, you ain't coming back.
Speaker 3: You take pictures and everything, but you just you know, it's goofy. It's not really what the skill of the golf is all about. The skill of the golf is you know, it's a reasonable test. It's not a goofy buck based thing. There's a certain point where the green speed gets beyond controllable. The reads you just you're just shooting in the dark and making a read because you can't control your boss bet enough. And you it's the variation on what it will work is all over the map, and you know, you're three putton and all that kind of stuff, and downhill putts are crazy. So somewhere around stamp twelve, that's where you probably should stop. If you go past Stemp twelve, you're just you're just toying with wounded mice.
Speaker 1: And if you're below what number is it like just you you need to just.
Speaker 3: Add I would say it's today. In Europe, some of the greens are seven and a half feet on the Stemp meter, maybe seven on a bad day. They have some humidity problems. For example, in the Netherlands, it's pretty much below sea level and the grass is too moist. The soil is not draining well, and those grasses can be a little thin, and if they're thin, you got to kind of grow them tall in order to cover the green, and then it's not that great. So in Europe some of the greens are not suitable for really fast surfaces. As you get further towards the warmer climates, you can pick up some good greens. I would say Aldraama and places like that, you can have some really nice, really good greens. There's a lot of quality golf in Europe. Don't get me wrong, it's good I'm just saying that that seven point five on a meter, if you roll the ball off the bottom of a stent meter and only those two putter links and the plus a little bit further, that's not a great green. PGA tours typically are stimping eleven feet, which is a lot more than seven, and on a fast, challenging green, they can go up to twelve and thirteen. You don't want to US Opens. They're always trying to maximum maximize the green speed for some reason, because they're just torturous, cruel individuals that are testing golfers that you know can play lots of golf courses with high degree of success and they want to mess with that particular crowd.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, that and growing the rough as thick as they possibly can, right, I mean, it's the hardest test in golf. It makes great golfers look like it's.
Speaker 3: Not something that a normal golf would want to do. No, it's it's not really a golf It's the US Open golf, but it's not really what normal people will think of. Is off right Now, back to the limit on how much you can speed up the grass if you're green has been designed with x amount of slope. You can't put pen positions where you're going to speed it up to thirteen if that slope is too steep. And so all US Open golf course set up people have been given the so called Tom Meeks injunction with that Tom Tom Meeks is the guy that's screwed up. They set up three different times and they fired. They threw him out the window. It's called defenestration. Chuck you out the windows used to be popular in Florence in Dante's day with the medicis and all that, and sometimes they did it in the nineteen twenties New York with the mafia. But any rate, when they throw you out the window, that means they've had enough because you you messed up the US Open by putting the pin position on two great a slope and then you drove the speed of the surface up past the red line and the ball won't stop. It's called crazy golf and you look terrible on TV when the US Open is completely stupid. They did it at Shinnecock Hills, they did it at Southern Hills. They did an Olympic in San Francisco. It was it's just so. Now they have a little rule. If you're going to be the setup guy for the USJ and set up the US Open, it puts you in a room and they say you have one mission in life. Do not pull a tom meeks So. But anyway, so that that that combination of green speed and slope, there's a number. You can figure it out. The combination really needs another word. I call it the SS the slope stemp. So if you take the slope two percent and multiply at times the green speed stemp ten, a ball rolls off the stemp meter and rolls ten feet across the green, that would be a SS of twenty ten. The ball won't stop when the SS is sixty, okay, just in physicals just won't stay there, all right. It's like you tilt to the table so much that all the plates slid off, all right, Now, A sixty can be reached by any number of pathways a four slope four percent and a fifteen stemp green, or a twelve stemp green and a five percent slope, or a ten stemp green and a six percent slope. S Yeah, that works. No, do any of those combinations of slope steepness and green speed when multiplied together equals sixty. They're functionally equivalent ball and stop. Oh got it?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Ten times six is sixty. Thy yep, Stemp ten green six percent slope ball won't stop. Four times fifteen is sixty a Stemp fifteen green, and a four percent slope ball won't stop. So four percent. If it's a faster green than a Stemp ten, a Stemp ten, you can tilt it all the way to six percent and it'll still it won't roll off. But when you speed up to a Stemp fifteen, you can only go to a four percent slope and then it'll roll off. Right. That's what happened to Augusta National. They're buried Elphin grounds are too steep and they've got a faster grass on their golf course green, and then they had to flatten out the greens. The tilt is permanent. The green speed comes and goes.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, yeah, of course.
Speaker 3: Okay, So five times twelve a five percent slope, that's as far as you can go with a Stemp twelve green ten toms six. You can go to six percent when you keep it down to Stemp ten, So if you slow down you can have steep conter. But if you ever get to where you really want to go for the gusto on your green speed and you start getting a bow stamp ten and eleven and that sort of thing, your pen positions kind of shrink on the green. If you had an image of the green and you said where are all the alliable pen positions? The first question is how fast is your STEMP speed. STEMP ten has a lot more pennable positions on green X, then does stamp eleven. They start to evaporate and the steeper conters become unavailable wolf for pin positions. The USDA they have little programs in little charts they carry around to watch that, and then they get on their weather channel on the TV and on the internet and they start predicting the weather for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday to make sure that they're not going to get side ambushed by dry, hot, windy weather that makes the greenspeed go over the red line that happened at shintyk Killops. So they don't really want to get all that close to the borderline. They're going to keep away from a little bit, so they have an absolute red line in physics, and then they back away from that at ten to six, six is like the absolute limit. You don't want to get as close to that six as you can unless you're real sure about the weather. Let's talk about.
Speaker 1: The the two putts right back to last show we got that's where we got started.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I've created these two putts that you do that tells you a lot about green rings with two ten to actually face. Most are the ones you want to know, right, the ones and the ones that you can actually sink, those are the ones you want to focus on. So that's basically inside fifteen feet and for a lot of people inside end feet. And that's a simple putt without any funny conter. And it's flat from the ball to the hole, even though it's tilted. The surface is not wrinkled and bumpy.
Speaker 1: It's flat, not necessarily level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not necessarily. It won't be level because that won't drain, so it will be tilted. But we're talking about the surfaces. If you ran your hand over it, is it one flat plane surface like a table.
Speaker 1: So that means the ball is just going to go straight from where you are to the well.
Speaker 3: It just means that the break is highly predictable because.
Speaker 1: It's not break is highly predictable as opposed to straight Okay.
Speaker 3: Okay, complicated breaks they go across across different contours other than one flat plane, and those are more difficult to predict and to read and to execute. So we have a simple case. The simple case is, for example, a ten foot putt across flat green on a tilt that you run into all the time. What's the break? How much does it break? All right? So I've designed two little putts to tell you all about it. Let me describe it. Okay, okay, this is like a diamond bullet to the forward version of what I'm talking about. You find a two percent slope we've already described. How do you know it's two percent? Walk straight down till one hundred inches away you can go, and then you stop, and you compare where your foot is to where the hole is, and what's the elevation drop from the hole to your foot. You imagine a string coming out of the whole dead level and it as far as your foot and hide the string above your foot tells you how many inches it is to the surface. That's what percent the slope is. If the string hits your foot at two inches off the ground, it's a two percent slope because you went one hundred inches downhill. Two percent is too over one hundred it's a drop or rise of two inches of very run of one hundred inches. That's the slope percent. It's also called the grade. If the string inch your foot at three inches off the ground and that's a three percent slope. If the level string from the hole to your foot hits you in the ankle, that's a four percent slope.
Speaker 1: So what we have to figure out is once we know what the slope is, once we know the degree is, we have to figure out how to adjust our speed.
Speaker 3: Right, We're going to test a two percent slope on the livery speed. Okay, here's the next component. The things that make up break in physics are basically the steepness, the green speed, the distance of the putt, the conjuring or the flatness of the surface, and your ball delivery speed across that surface. How fast is the ball traveling when it gets to the front lift of the cup. That's called a terminal velocity or a delivery speed. Those factors steepness, also direction uphill, flatness of surface, speed of grass, how far away you're putting, and what is your delivery speed? You can fix all of those and sort them out, and the only thing left is how much will it break? All right, that's like fixing the variables so that you don't have to deal with ten variables. You have just one. It's like an experiment. That's what you do when you do experiments. So we're going to fix all the variables. Here's one, it's flat. Okay, we've decided we found a flat piece of grass. It's at least ten feet away from a hole. It doesn't change contours. Flat number two. What's the slope we found out it's percent number three. What's the green speed? It's today's green speed. If you want to know for mathematical calculations, you need to know the st meter speed of the green and so you have to ask somebody to nose or else you have to under meter. Else you have to know how to make one or use how to have to know how to simulate one. Basically, if you swing a conventional hutter about fifteen inches back from the ball and then let it re swing itself without you powering it, that will deliver the velocity of the ball that a STMP meter gets it off the bottom of the ramp. It's about the same if you get to two shafts and you make a little camel out of the two shafts by holding them together, and then you put a ball on the shape and you lift the ball up about ten and a half to eleven inches off the ground and then let go. It'll roll down the two shafts through the little channel you made, and then when it comes off it'll be about the same speed as the STEMP meter. Or you can buy a step meter, or you can just ask the greens keeper or the pro shop what's the stemp the green speed? Plus the golf courses will push a little sign out by the green. Today's green is stimping nine point five, so that.
Speaker 1: Would be obviously that would be the easiest way to do it is just ask. But I'm sure there are there. There are so many different gadgets and and and apps for their phone and stuff that's going to help you determine this and are are they worth.
Speaker 3: What this is? One that doesn't really the apps don't tell you the green speed. You have to you have to input that one, okay, all right. The apps will tell you which way is uphill and how steep is it? It won't really say see how flat it is? And I want to tell you the green speed, and I want to tell your ball delivery speed. Those you have to input, and it doesn't tell you how far you are away from the hall, all right, So we're sorting out all of these how far away we're going to be ten feet? That's four military paces each military pace thirty inches or US parade looks like crap, everybody, So you have to make a thirty inch step to and a half feet each. Four of those ten feet walk four feet away from the hall. Your ten feet away were three four steps away, all right. Now, we would like conveniently to have a stamp speed of the green that is ten for easy division. So we really want to STEMP ten green if we can find it. All right. So let's say we got a STEMP ten green two percent slow flat, and we're ten feet away, and we know which way is directly uphill straight through the hall, and we chose specifically to go ten feet away side hill or perpendicular to the direction straight up hill. If you have a clock and you twist it around so that the six and the twelve through the hole. The center of the clock is on the center of the hole, and the six and twelve points straight up hill. We're talking about walking along the line towards the three or the nine perpendicular to the six trove line. The nine to three line would be the axis of tilt. The direction of the of the surface is six twelve, and the steepness is how much the twelve wise it up over top of the six, or how steep the differences between the hole and the spot down the six one hundred inches away. What's the elevation drop from the hole to the six one hundred inches away. That's the steepness. Okay, so we've got a two percent grade for steepness. We have a flat green, we have a st ten, and we have a side hill ten foot putt. Now here's what you do with it. You put straight at the middle of the hole for start line with your normal delivery speed, and then everything is perfectly sorted. The ball will not go straight because it will curl downhill. If you're from the three putting, it will curl downhill towards the six to your left. If you're putting from the nine position, it will curl downhill to the sixth position from your to the right. Let's say we're at the three o'clock position, and we came dead straight at the center of the hall, and we putt it with good delivery pace, the ball will curl low and then it will cross the six to twelve line, and then it will stop very soon thereafter, because you have a good delivery pace. A good delivery pace will carry the ball past the six twelve line no more than one to four further rolls. Every roll over golf ball is about five point two eight inches. That's the diameter of the cover material of a ball one point six eight inches in diameter. Just one point six eight times pie equals five point two eight So if you unrolled the ball and lay it down like a ruler on the ground, it goes as far as the spin of your hand from the wrist line to the last knuckle, not the tip the last knuckle. That's five about five and a quarter inches. So if you patch your hands along past the fall line, one to three of those, that's about the same as a guinea inside the leather. If you climbed your hands up a putter from the putter head to the bottom of the grip material, you'd have about three handspans and then it's the bottom of the grip material. So inside the leather is approximately three rolls past the hull or the falling Okay, Four, you're still in the leather, so that's not terrible. Five you're outside the leather. And now you're talking about three putty.
Speaker 1: We don't like to talk about three putty. Oh we lost you. Oh my god, I can't believe this. We lost our signal just as you said that's when you three putty. I'd be like, well, what this is like a joke. I'm supposed to guess something here, but we lost our connection. So I'm glad that we're back. You're still at McDonald's. Is now probably very dark? Were you when we've bet this for a while? So finish your sentence. Yes, we don't want a three put So where are we?
Speaker 3: Ok So, we were just we were just we were just locking down the variables, one of which is touch. We want to putt our test putt to find out the break using our usual good touch delivery speed that only goes one, two or three rolls past the fall line in case of a miss, and then the ball stops right. So if you have that skill, you use that touch delivery speed when we do this ten foot test putt. Right now, we got all everything sort. Now we just do is we make a straight putt directly at the hole with good touch, and then we watch and see how far it crosses the fall line below the center of the hole. And we measure all Right, if, for example, a two percent slope and a stemp tin green with your good deliver every speed started straight at the hole curls ten inches below the hole. Guess what ten inches divided by ten foot putt tells you the magic number. It tells you that that surface combination a twenty of a Stemp ten green and this two percent slope multiplied together as a stemp slope something called twenty twenty breaks one inch for every foot that you putt it. Remember it broke ten inches when it crossed the fall line below the center of the hall. It was ten inches from the center of the hole to the point where the battrolled across the falling We measured it was one grip the length of one putter grip from the center of the hole to the point where the ball rolled across low beneath the hole across that fallen petted from ten feet away. So if you divide the number of inches that it breaks, and by end I mean the stemp slope twenty, it broke one inch for every foot that you were away from the hole. Right, that's the magic. Now you can you can You can aim a fifteen footer, you can name a five footer. You canna an eight footer. And the next point is those are all the side hill putts. You can aim all of those based on that formula one inch per foot for stemp speed twenty slope speed twenty, they're all one inch per foot. A five foot put breaks five inches. Okay, on a twenty if you aim from the center of the hall five inches straight up hill and stick a teepeg again and start your ball directly at the teepeg and let it break to the low side, it will go in the center of the cup if you hit the same delivery pace that you use to test it with. Now, if you use a eight foot put breaks eight inches, you need to get that now. I just need to stop them talk talk to them later. So now those are side hipputs. Now here's the next point. If you wanted to know ten feet putt around the center of the hall in a big circle. You took a ten foot string and stuck it right in the middle of the center of the cup, and then you stretched it out ten feet away, and you drew a circle around the cup ten feet out, and you put three hundred and sixty golf balls on that circle, in a big circle, and you put it every single one of them. They aim at exactly the same target ten inches above the hole. The teepegg on the fall line, ten inches from the center of the cup. The uphill puts same in it. The downhill putts ame at it, the todd hill putts seam at it. They all aim at that one te peg. And then they eight foot putt they aim at a t peg eight inches above the hole. And a five foot putt they am at a t peg five inches above the hole. Now, some people will say funny stuff about that, and they will say that downhill putts go more slowly and they break more, and they'll pill putts go faster and they break less. Well, that's the difference between academic people that never get outside their office and people who play off.
Speaker 1: Go ahead. We've been doing this twice for almost two hours ago, and you haven't said it.
Speaker 3: Come on, say it, rough and rap Scots have contempt for academics in there.
Speaker 1: Oh no, man, those people are stupid. Come on say it.
Speaker 3: They're stupid.
Speaker 4: They got PhDs and it means fud dummy. They right papers, and they have all kinds of pretensions to mathematical expertise and physics degrees and blah blah blah blah blah. Well they ain't a patch on my ass because I got forty years of loving physics.
Speaker 3: But I know golf. They don't know golf. Bad combination. It's like they know how to mixed paint, but they never painted house. Okay, you can't apply physics to golf unless you know the golf. Let me say that one more time. I don't care if you can do the formulas, old physics guy at Yale, you don't know how it applies to the golf course because we're roughing round a Scotch. We're engineers. We're not calculators trying to get a in a classroom. We're engineers making a putt go in a hole. There's a little sloppiness at all, all right, So what we want to do is bushwhack common putts, And once you find that is that. Yeah, there is a technical difference between a downhill putt and uphill putt, but it doesn't really matter until you get a steep green of three percent or more and you get passed beyond further than ten feet. It just doesn't it's not that big of a difference. Now, the guys in their eye retires that calculate that if you look back at their notebooks, they will find out that their little differences aren't that big until you get beyond this realm of reality. So we take the stage and we kick them off the stage and we embarrass them in front of their peers because they act like they know stuff, but they're basically bad scientists. They can't apply knowledge, so that makes them bad scientists to purport to answer questions in golf and they don't know anything about the golf. They need to shut up and stop. It's not a diletent sport where you can come in and lord other people because you've got a pH d at Yale University. Go away. There are people that know more about it than you. They are scientists that apply the knowledge intelligently. And reasonably to the actual experience of golfers on real greens, about which at Yale and have in Connecticut they know very darned little.
Speaker 1: Now you know you it not let Yale specific like you don't like Harvard either.
Speaker 3: Another there's one guy to that write these papers. There's another guy at Malespi University in British Columbia that writes these papers. And there's another guy that say, as they stay and I call them play papers. Want to embarrass them with their with their peers and physics, because their peers in physics know that they don't count that they're not going to make money or get an advancement in their physics department by writing these little papers. And they have two weeks off in the summer, and this is something to go for them to come in and pretend to do that. It looks a lot more significant to golfers than it should. But an educated, rough and rowdy Scott's engineer has contempt for this sort of thing. Okay, value of the game got too much to allow that kind of silliness. So we tell the people that yell and malice being and sentas a stick it stop, go away. We're going to explain to our friends of the golfers that you're not there, buddy, that you don't really know what you're doing. Okay, now back to the test put. When you apply all this, it has a difference between danielfo It doesn't matter, does not until you get sleep and you get far away and we're not there, not makable pus anyway. So yeah, it is a difference. But when you're in the cleanup done, man, a five foot put from any direction, you're you're read to lock and load if you know that five foot breaks five inches, and that's on the twenty. So you got to know whether you're on a twenty or not. Now you can get the twenties by different ways. A stamp saturn and a three percent slope is about twenty. A stamp eleven and a stamp what makes it twenty two one and a half or some one point sat and something like that. Whatever whatever calculator tells you, I can't.
Speaker 4: Do it in my head, you know, I gotta admit that.
Speaker 3: But any combination where it comes out of twenty, they break exactly the same. Wow. Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: That revelation stuff.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. That's right now, they've done this since at least in nineteen eighty four, because it's nice. Little guy in Texas as a retired Air Force colonel and at Tempson put it in his book. So anybody that's supports today be the originator of this. That would not include me, because I'm respectful in honor of the past. However, there are other people who act as if they came up with it. Well they did, by golly all right.
Speaker 5: So these magnificent concepts of slope and Stemp meter smashed together, mash up into a new thing called the something, the Stemp slope SS.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter how you get there. If you recognize it's a twenty, you're off to the races on knowing what you're doing. Right now, let's go to the next level.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, wait, wait, wait wait wait wait, are you playing with that power thing again? Because your signal got better?
Speaker 3: Okay, I stopped it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but as you were doing that, the signal got much better.
Speaker 3: Okay, now cool, Okay, we know from one putt, one symbol, one single symbol, simple little putt, a ten foot putt on a two percent slope, STEMP ten green, it's a twenty. We made a ten foot putt, and we've found out something magical that sorts out everything inside fifteen feet for that particular twenty, right, we did as one putt. Now let's go over the top and expand it to many other slopes that we might actually encounter a one percent of three percent, four percent, five percent, six percent. We did a twenty, which means for that green speed, a two is proportionately what in relationship to a one twice a month as much. So. That means if it broke one inch on a two percent stemp ten green, we now know that on a one percent slope it will break one half of an inch. Now we have the entire world of one percent slopes in our little bailliwick. Let's put the threes in there. A three percent slope will break one point five times as much as the two percent. That means the two percent breaks one inch. A three percent will break one point five inches for every foot of putt you're five feet away, how much is it gonna break seven and a half inches. That's five times one point five that's just three percent slope. Okay, how much is ten percent ten foot canna breaking on three percent slope? Fifteen inches ten times one point five. All right, So we have three percent slopes now in our balliwick, let's do four. What's the relationship between the two percent slope and four percent slope? Twice as much? So a four percent slope will break two inches for every foot. A ten foot putt will break twenty inches from the center of the hall straight up. He'll put a tepeg in two putter grips up and then putt with your good delivery speed straight at that tepeg and let it break straight and soon the hole. A five foot putt will break ten inches because it's two foot two inches for every foot, and you got five of them. Now, let's put the five percent slopes into our balloy wick. What's the relationship between two percent slip and five is two and a half? If a two percent slope breaks one inch, a five percent slope will break two and a half inches for every foot. Because how MUDs will ten foot putt break twenty five inches? Right? How much will a five foot putt break twelve and a half inches? Five times two point five? All right? Now, let's to be done with all this by putting the six percent slopes in there, the ones we're not ever going to see right, it's three times as much. Two percent breaks one inch, six percent breaks three inches for every foot, thirty inches on ten feet and fifteen inches from five feet.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think I think we got it. It's like we'll we're getting It's just like too much detail here, but I think we got your point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me run let me run back through it real quick.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: We're bookwhacking the common putts that we can actually sink across flat green inside ten feet, and we want to know the different slopes and the green speeds, how they combine to generate specific information about how many inches it takes per foot you put ten feet on whatever it is, a twenty to thirty whatever it is, and however much it curls below the hole you measure that that's the answer for that stamp and slope combination.
Speaker 1: And this will pull on your practice greens before you get out there. This is where you're trying to figure this out to take it with you out on the course.
Speaker 3: And you don't even have to know the green speed, right, if you're going to play from the practice green onto the course that day, you don't even have to ask that question because the green speeds that day will be the same as the green on the practice green. So whatever it breaks on two percent slope, you can fill in all the details. If it happens to break ten inches, that will tell you that that is a stamp ten green, you can work backwards that way and figure that out. If if you know it's a stamp ten green and it breaks fifteen inches from ten feet, that tells just a three percent slope, you can work it that way.
Speaker 1: I'm liking it, okay, yep.
Speaker 3: So so basically I cre that and I'm proud of it.
Speaker 1: We're proud of you too, Okay. And it's like we got our own Yale education here. Oh yeah, now, well we'll give a Stanford education here, a screw Yale.
Speaker 3: Right, that's right. Let's do the last. Let's do the last little piece of reasonable, rough and rowdy Scotts. Okay, we didn't really read a putt on the green. We got a ballpark, right, right, got it. We got a generalized understanding that needs to be applied to a specific putt on the golf course. Okay, So when you get a put on the golf course, if it's flat, if it's two percent, if it's ten feet away. If it's a stint tin green the same as a practice green or whatever it is, then you're you're kind of ready to lock and load. But that that seldom is exactly what happens. It's not exactly a two percent slope, it's not exactly ten feet away. It may be a little different green speed. You know, it may not be exactly flat.
Speaker 1: It can't be exact.
Speaker 3: That's straight. However, the people that Yale don't know this part of it. The golfers have to go from the generalized paradigm from the book to this specific put and apply the book knowledge reasonably and intelligently and adjusted. That's the engineer thing. Have to adjust your book knowledge to the facts that you face in the specifics. And that means that you readily understand that you don't have the read just because you did this thing on practice green. What you have is you have a very close understanding of where you start, and then you have the task of making a very minor adjustment to make an executive decision on what to actually do for this put, and that will carry you miles and miles past your competitors in reading puts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the whole bottom line here is going past your competitors.
Speaker 3: Beat them like a drum beat, like a for the pulp. Yeah, GoF is pretty good to be a psaltary support, but it's not the it's not really the blood curtaining and thrill you get when you beat other people.
Speaker 1: It's kind of true, although whether it's for money or not, it's just knowing. It's like my favorite is getting in somebody's head. But yeah, I'm always competing against myself. But boy, beating someone we were out there playing with is always.
Speaker 3: Somebody see you make that birdie and they can't make it.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, Yeah, god, Jeff, that was that was awesome man, Thank you all right, man, my dog is done with you, so uh so leave the parking lot of McDonald's. Now go do some more teaching. Let's stay in touch. I always love having you on because you're always good. Worth two episodes.
Speaker 3: At least, people are gonna get a forty five page PDF from me. If they're just sending g e O F F at putting zone dot com, send me email G e O F F putting zone dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah right. If if any of this stuff made any sense to you at all or you need more, send Jeff that email. Get the email and peruse it. I've I've been looking at it and it's like, wow, if you've ever been to putting zone dot com, it's a taste of how much detail you'll get because well, listen, you've heard these two episodes. It's exactly what happens Jeff Mangum the man when it comes to punish in the world. Thank you, buddy, I really appreciate it. Safe travels and we'll be in touch.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you very much for it. Bye bye.