Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company.
Speaker 2: Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Holy crap, I don't know who.
Speaker 1: The hell we think when we.
Speaker 2: Are get off our show, idiot, the kids are crying or turning off, crying.
Speaker 1: The countries are.
Speaker 3: Screwing it up.
Speaker 2: Gold Play Intermurals, Brother, gold Play Intermurals.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 4: All right? Ready or not? Here we go. Let's get this thing started. When I say ready or not, I mean ready or not. We're here. We are in your ears right now, I guess we are. I mean we're in your ears regardless if how you're listening, if you can listen and you hear this right now, we're here. We're with you. Maybe we violated you, I hope not, but keep us out of enery where you want, but not your ears. I mean, if you've got headphones on, like you're like AirPods, earbuds, whatever, then I feel like we're more directly like we're there, but literally if you're just if you're just picking us up in your vehicle, or maybe I don't know, maybe you're in a store right now and they've got us playing. Maybe you're on the assembly line somewhere and they've got Coffee and Company cranked. We're we're here like it or not, it's happening, and I hope you stick around because we're with you for the next three hours. Again it is Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: Thought of somebody putting a brand new car door on a Toyota Tundra while we're just going on throughout the warehouse. Is that that excites me?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh, I remember the first time, I think it was the GE assembly line back in like twenty seventeen, when I was on Middays noon to three, and I remember somebody mentioning that they were listening and they've it was a it was a group of folks that work together, and it was a mixed family essentially. I mean, I call them family because they work together. But Louisville fans in Kentucky fans so but but they but but they you know, the Kentucky fans at one point stopped complaining about what we were listening to. What they were listening to and and they just kind of let it, let it happen. And I always, you know, I always appreciate people sharing how and when they listen, you know, never gets sold. It's one of those things where we just assume you're listening. We don't actually know. There's no way to do a real time. I mean, we can, we can determine how many people are streaming, which of course that grows really every every week, it seems every day, honestly, just because you know, there are people who listen sometimes in their vehicle when they're on their way home, and then when they get home, maybe they start fixing dinner or whatever it is, and they listen. So however you're listening, wherever you're listening, we appreciated. But yeah, we're here and we're ready to rock and roll. The revival continues and it feels absolutely amazing. And I know you guys have been asking the question to yourself. I've been asking the same question to myself, and I've got my answer for you, and it's this, Yes, this team really is that good. I'm not predicting a final four right now. I'm not predicting a national championship, but you know, wake Forest had won eight of nine games. They just competed really well against Duke and sure enough Louisville last night. The way it played out, and I'll lay it out for you as far as my explanation on this, but the way things played out from start to finish, I guess maybe not. I mean, the finish wasn't great. They didn't score a bucket in the last five six minutes, and I mean I kind of had to resist just mowing people down who were complaining about that, because I just think anybody complaining about Louisvill basketball right now needs to go lay down or maybe go play in traffic. And you know, the urge to do that is strong, just because of how much I love this team. But I get it. You know, maybe because I lived through it every day talking about it for three hours during the previous regime, that maybe I have a better ability to really just appreciate where we are. But I'm sure everybody's different. So you are thinking, hey, we don't need to just be you know, we don't need to just be beating teams. We need to pummel them till the end. And I guess you're not crazy for thinking that because you have high expectations for Louisville basketball, and you should, but just really, any negativity right now, I'm having a tough time with I talked about it last week. I feel like this will be the sign that sticks with me for years to come. If Pat Kelsey is here long term, he wins at a really high level. I think I'll remember sitting in the gym parking lot before I went in, and yes, I know you could tell I do lift weights, not as much as I used to, but but I do try to stay in shape. So I'm sitting in the parking lot about to walk in, and I just couldn't walk in until I wrote a long comment on a Facebook group about face. Yeah no, this was yesterday. This was last week. I'm resetting that story. Yeah yeah, paying attention. So last week, you know, I just I remember walking out of the gym afterwards, thinking that I just do that, like what has gotten over me? And it's because the Revival's happening and I'm so excited about where we are that when I see people complaining about I mean it was a fan who again I don't know this person, but complaining that Louisville fans were excited that Louisville was ranked, and it just triggered me in a way that I'm like, the hell's wrong with you? We should be happy that we're ranked. It's crazy that we're ranked for the first time in a long time, and it took Pat less than twenty games to get us there, considering that he had to kind of start from scratch. So you know, those are little things that stick with me. But again, I think we are I think this team is really really good. And what I mean by how it all played out at the end of the game, yeah, I mean they they took their foot off the gas. I think it reminded me a little bit of the Indiana game where Indiana was down like thirty plus and they ended up going on a crazy like thirteen to one run and like the last two menus or something like that. I'm sure that's not the right number, but they did that just to only lose by twenty five to Louisville. And it's not a good visual, but like, you still, you still kicked ass. And I just think it'd be foolish in my opinion to think that, like we need to worry because at the very end of the game when Wake Forest was already done, Steve Forbes, his best player, gets ejected. He played a guy. And by the way, nobody called Steve Forbes out for this him sending one of his starters to the locker room. It was one of the most sore loser things you'll see that, like some for some reason, nobody even acknowledged, like, yes, he did play after dealing with some sickness. Hildreth is his name. He had the flu. But like Forest was getting his ass kicked down by twenty nine points, and instead of just you know, taking his player out and sitting him, he sends him to the locker room. That's sore loser type of stuff. And Wake did a lot of sore loser, weak mentally type of stuff last night. And it's just nice to be on the right end of that kind of stuff. But I mean, I just think it's human, Nate. I mean, these guys, the game was over, and you don't really have a team where you can, I mean, you don't really have a you don't really have a team that you can just all right, let's play our freshman who's really trying to earn minutes. There's one freshman on this team, and he has to play major minutes. So you're either going to put the walk Ons in or keep your guys out there and just kind of let them ride out the clock. And that's what happened, because had you put the walk Ons in, no offense to these guys. Wake Forest knows, hey, we actually maybe they don't know, because what I predicted would happened happened. Louisville beat a good team. I believe Wake's got good talent. I'm not kidding you. Of all the teams from the ACC that have come in to the UMP Center, as much as Louisville made them look bad at times, They've got good players. I mean they do, and yet they seem to not I mean, wait, should not be a team that you beat by double digits at home that's fifteen and five with no bad losses still to this day, and a better win than Louisville has. They're winning against Michigan is better than any win Louisville has. And Louisville fell in the net rankings all because of wake Forest's incompetence, Steve Forbes in competence to schedule the way that they schedule. So had you put I was gonna say, had you put the walk Ons in, you wouldn't have lost the game, but it would have been even probably closer, because they were still gonna try to trim that deficit as best they can. And I'm thinking, if you know how this works, right, if you know to keep your guys locked in until the very end because you want to, because you understand that a thirty point loss is much different than a ten point loss when it comes to the metrics, then why did you schedule five of the worst teams in the country. So I probably shouldn't have given as much attention as I just did to the end of the game, But I'm triggered. I'm defending this team at all costs because I love them that much. It's just been that much fun watching things come together. They've now got their tenth straight win. They're sitting at nine and one in the ACC and last night, I'll start with this, and I know you were a part of this, Austin, you and Kirk and the crew. Yeah, the Young Sinner looked better on television than it has in a really, really long time. The atmosphere was something that you just couldn't ignore if you're watching it or you know, the broadcasters, and they did a good job of really plugging it and mentioning, man, this place, this is what, this is what Louisville basketball is all about. And we'll get to that trio. Last night because I actually found myself pretty entertained by Jim Beaheim in a weird way, and because Louisville got up twenty nine early in the second half, I mean, it seemed like Corey, Alexander and Bayheim kind of turned it into their own boring talk show, and then West Durham had to kind of remind them, like, hey, fellas, we got some action going on here. That's a very bad West Durham impression. But I was spot on. Yeah. Nonetheless, last night was great and at the beginning of the game, shots were falling right wake Forest came ready to play. Like wake Forest I thought did a pretty good job of coming out. They didn't leave rain Smith. Nothing was easy for Louisville, and yet Louisville just stuck with all. Right. Last night was a reminder, and I've said this, I'm pretty sure every day we've talked about louis of basketball in the last three months, which you know, has been pretty frequent. The defense is what's really changed for them, and last night they got off to a slower start than you would expect, just you know, not really blitzing them right out of the gate. I think if you'd have tuned in early second half, you probably would have just expected this thing got ugly early, and it really didn't, you know, Louisville. Again, I feel like I'm not even giving them enough credit when I say that it was like a slow start, but I mean it was. It was low scoring early, back and forth early, and Louisville just stayed with their game plan as far as defense. Shots weren't falling, but they never stopped taking good shots. They never lose confidence when shots don't fall. I thought Terrence Edwards, the way things played out for him last night is a real testament to his maturity and the trust that he has in himself and that Pat Kelcey and his teammates have in him, because him staying aggressive offensively is always going to be a good recipe. And he's had games where he ends up getting you twelve points, but it came from you know, three of thirteen from the field, which you know isn't great. And last night he got off to a pretty poor start. I don't know what his percentage was towards the back half of the fifteen shots he took, but he legend scoring with eighteen because he stayed aggressive, he stayed taking good shots. And you know it just these guys, they don't think. They just play. And that sounds like I'm insulting them saying they don't think. I mean, I think they're pretty savvy, they're pretty smart, but man, they are so even keeled, never too high, never too low. And they win last night seventy two to fifty nine. And the numbers, the box score itself, and you know, turnovers, rebounds, second chance points, all the numbers that do have value. I think they're absolutely skewed because of the way the game ended last night. But also even if I'm thinking that, because it's wishful thinking on my end, I don't care, because they're so consistent now defensively and as far as just coming ready to play, being the physical aggressor and never again getting too high or too low. That that that that alone, I feel like, puts them in a pretty good spot. So the question again that I know many of you listening have been asking, are they like really good, Like are we are we a team that, like I should expect to have real you know, late tournament run, Like should I expect this team to be a second weekend team? And look, you could expect whatever you want, because I know there's a lot of folks out there that really kind of they have a premeditated expectation on certain things because they know how to better deal with it. And what I mean by that is a lot of folks, myself included. I don't do it as much in sports, but a lot of things in life. Hey, I hope I expect the worst, hope of the best, and that that that's been a pretty good mindset for me to have, and it's it's worked for me. And again, everybody's different. But I'm just telling you, I don't think that if you are somebody that that says, hey, I happen to think this team is good enough. Defensively, they're smart enough as a team, They clearly have a defined identity and they have established roles within their personnel that you know, maybe we do get to the second game, second round, round of thirty two, and maybe at that point we get humbled and we realize, man, the acc really didn't prepare us. But I mean, again, what do I know. None of us know. We'll find out when we get there. But I just think i'd be lying to myself if I acted like this team wasn't just playing really good basketball. And I mean there's all kinds of different stats you can throw out there that I think, Yes, some can say, well, hey, it's because you're playing in the ACC, and I never want to ignore that, but I'm I mean, Jackie Hepburn's been a really good player in college basketball for three years before he got here. In the Big Ten, which is last I checked, has been viewed as a better league than the ACC for for a little while now, right, like Javon Hadley, there's a reason we're seeing him and he didn't even have a good game last night, but clearly he's been great, really in the last six weeks. So he's been good all year. But once Case and Pryor went down, obviously they were going to start leaning on him a little bit more and expecting more out of him. And you realize, yeah, Colorado for two seasons he was a good player for them, And you know what, maybe the reason you didn't hear a whole lot about him last year is because he played with three guys that got drafted. I don't know, that doesn't necessarily make Javon a great player. That doesn't really have anything to do with his ability, but you know, these guys are good players, and Pat Kelsey's done a phenomenal job at really working with what he has. And you know, when I go back to where I feel like the flip switch. You guys have heard me talk about it for a while. The North Carolina game, something was different defensively and in the half court. Maybe one day he'll really elaborate. Maybe he doesn't need to. Maybe it wasn't some real formulated plan that they had to to, you know, really invest in and make it a priority. But they are different now in the half court. I noticed it last night and it hit me this morning when I when I woke up in bed before I got the day started, I'm checking social media, which I do every morning, and there's a couple of really nerdy Twitter accounts that that that put up thirty forty second clips showing a half court set that college basketball teams will run. And I'm a nerd for that stuff, Like I just you know, I know it's not interesting. Certainly wouldn't be a good radio topic, so I'm not going to break it down. But this account that I follow, you know, they're doing half court sets that are phenomenal that that you know, with your versatility, you can do a lot of creative things right like you can you can do something to where your your opponent is worried that you're going to run some kind of action that's got four options for rain Smith to pop out and bury one on you. But you know what they weren't doing that, They were making you think that. Then they throw it to the rim for a guy named James Scott who's pretty effective around the rim. Like they're they're really good in the half court offensively, and it's not just because the design sets. It's because of their spacing, their understanding ending of movement, and really their versatility. I mean, they've got they've got a lot of guys who are mismatched problems, not because they just have ability and talent that other teams can't account for. But like, who do you put on Javon Hadley? Again, I'm not saying who do you put on him? Because he's Lebron James, but do you want to go big where he'll go around you and get fouled, or do you want to go small where he'll he'll he'll back you in and score on you. So I mean, Pat Kelsey's staff, everybody involved deserves a lot of credit. But last night and really this morning, more so than anything, I was just thinking, you know what they are different now, Like when they played some of these teams and they lost. Who knows, maybe if they played them tomorrow this weekend, maybe they lose again. I don't know, We'll never know. And it's really not important right now, because again, why waste your energy and your time about with hypothetical that will never have the answer to. It'd be a waste of time. But they did in fact when things weren't going great. And I do want to share some quotes from a Matt Norlander piece at CBS Sports that really just highlights the run that louisvill was is on right now. An eleventh consecutive win that could come on Saturday, should come on Saturday, will be the longest, will tie the longest winning streak the program's ever had in the regular season. So you know, that's pretty special. So they they did something and I'm just maybe I'm I'm I'm prying into things that aren't my business, but they they at some point I wouldn't even call it that, but maybe maybe that is the right way to describe it, because it's not like, I mean, they're still shooting a lot of threes. We know that, Like I think they maintained their identity, but they kind of found this new version of themselves with the personnel that they have in every single game, they are getting more and more confident in their established roles and they know that, hey, I don't need it to every night come out here and score twenty five, because if I don't have it going, somebody else probably will within within our rotation. And you know the maturity of this group to never get too high and never gets too loh, there's no jealousy, it seems. I mean, it's really been a great mix of guys as far as their skill set, what they bring to the table, and really just they're buying right. I mean, I think Pat Kelsey's gonna bring in some really talented players, including McDonald's all American that's on his way next year, Mickael Brown Junior, who is one of those guys that you should only expect to have for a season, and you should. I mean, he's going to be given the keys to the program essentially as far as running the show as your point guard, and that's the way it should be when you get a guy like that. I'm sure with Kelsey having a year that who knows it might win him National Coach of the Year. He's given us some good proof of concept here so far, meaning recruits transfers really more than anything they now see, Okay, this guy, he's got a rolling especially if I can shoot the ball, if my calling card is being a good offensive player, I'd love to play for that guy. So now that he's actually winning at Louisville, that's going to make it more attractive. So my point is this, they're going to bring in probably guys with more individual talent than some of the guys that are playing right now. And that's great. But I think there's something about these guys as far as like their maturity in their buy in and really their hunger. Like I think a lot of guys on this team that we're seeing have big nights consistently. Chucky Hepburn is the best example. Chuckie Hepburn came here hungry. He's one of the best point guards in the country. I don't think it's close. We're talking about a guy that's averaging sixteen points, just under seven assists per game, two and a half steals, nearly four rebounds. Louisville's played the fifteenth toughest schedule in college basketball. I mean, and he's played his best game seemingly when they play the best teams. But Chucky also came here as a guy who had been pretty good at Wisconsin. He got passed up last year, he took a he took a lesser role at Wisconsin for a guy named AJ Store who transferred to Kansas probably got a much bigger bag than Chucky got. And all Chucky's done is come here and wanted to prove to people that he is, in fact a guy that is one of the better guards in the country. And I mean the kid at Wisconsin that's now at Kansas aj Store. I mean, because it's not relevant to what Chucky's doing here, but I think finding guys in the portal that are hungry but also clearly have some real ability, I mean, that's gonna be key, and we're seeing it right before our eyes. So last night was certainly Awesome's talk a lot about that today. How about Kentucky. I mean, let's be real, Kentucky keeps winning games that they shouldn't win and aren't expected to win. You know what that tells you that they're very well coached, and they also have a group of mature guys that don't get too high or too low. And what does that do? It speaks to coaching. I mean, I said this on Friday. It was a big part of the show. I know Austin wasn't here, but if I'm just being honest with you, I think the two best candidates for Coach of the Year the way I view what Coach of the Year is are the two guys in this state, Mark Pope and Pat Kelsey. And yes, I'd give the nod to Pat Kelsey. And yes, it's probably because there's some bias on my end. However, I mean Kentucky right now has a better resume, They have a better team right now as far as resume, and they beat Louisville head to head. If that is your reasoning for Coach of the Year, we're not even We're not talking about the same award. I think For me, it's and again, what do I don't have a vote, doesn't matter what I think, But I think Coach of the Year is a guy who you can tell his team is having a lot of success because of his coaching. I think both can be said about Pope and Kelsey more so than maybe anybody in college basketball. But it's a silly award when you think about it, because it's not consistent, it's selective. Are you going with the guy who's coaching the best team that you already know is a good coach or a guy that you feel like, Man, he did a great job that nobody would have expected because he's a great coach. But last night they go on the road they beat Tennessee, a really good Tennessee team. I know Tennessee's lost what four or five now, they're struggling, but they're also really good and Mark Pope was able to bait Tennessee into playing the game that Kentucky wanted to. Tennessee fired up shots out of their rear end all night. And the way to beat Kentucky is to not do that, because you know what, when they do that, they're gonna beat you. The only team that's beating Kentucky at this point in a game where it's played with countless possessions and you know, fire it up whenever you get an open look is Alabama and Alabama just might happen to be the best team in the country at doing that outside of Kentucky. And maybe if they when they play in Tuscaloosa, maybe the results actually different. So a big night for both programs, no doubt. We'll certainly talk about that throughout the show today. Also, we need to talk about the Senior Bowl, not because you know, anybody really gives a damn about the actual game itself, but this is where you start to hear about guys that are really doing well for themselves when it comes to showing their ability to the NFL. And Tyler shut getting a lot of love and who's surprised. I think Louisville fans kind of realized, Yeah, this guy's pretty good. Don't know where he's gonna get drafted. He won't be a first round pick, but man, he's balling out out And something we haven't talked about yet, and I don't want to make it a big part of the show, but Liam Cohen to Jacksonville, like I talked about it on Friday. Liam Cohen going there in the way everybody acted like he did something wrong, I thought was hilarious because when you're an assistant coach and your goal is to be a head coach, there's no loyalty. You're trying to climb the freaking ladder, and it doesn't matter if you told somebody you're sticking around or you want to be here. That's what you're supposed to say if you have a chance to better yourself and take a better job, and people criticize you for doing so, like they're the ones to be frank or idiots. But now that he's in Jacksonville and he was introduced, I think he might be an act. I think he's an AI robot. Is he a real human?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Liked the the douvaal thing. We might play the sound, Austin, but the sound doesn't matter. It's the visual. Yeah, it's the face that he makes. I mean, you could like when he did that. I remember one wanting to just crawl under a table and hide from second hand embarrassment, but also thinking there's nothing you could tell me about this human being that I would be shocked by.
Speaker 1: Serial killer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could see it, you know, AI robot. Yeah, totally believable, which has just fascinated me, which again probably speaks to my amusement. It's, you know, I gotta, I gotta. I got a weird sense of humor. But hey, that lets me have some fun and I guess kind of never grow up. But let's let's let's get to our quick break. A very long first segment, but we'll take a time. I'll keep it rolling until six o'clock. It's Coffee and Company, Nick Coffee, Austin Montgomery, take you up till six o'clock again right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 2: Ninety now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: If you guys want to join us on the show, you can phone lines now open five oh two five seven one seventy nine hundred. You can also text in on the Ellen n Federal Credit Union text line five oh two six five three zero seven ninety. I don't want to lie to you and tell you something that we're going to do that we may not do. In fact, I do that a lot. It's intentionally just you know, I'm not great at managing time. But Kentucky's win last night. Somebody asked this on the text line, and I think you may be right. This text says, Nick, do you think that Kentucky's win at Tennessee will go down as the most valuable win in the regular season for anybody in college basketball? And I like the question because you got me thinking, and I'm thinking, well, I don't know. That's a little premature, but I think to your point right now, yes, Now, well it's stay that way. I'm not sure, but currently you've got Auburn, Houston, Duke, and Tennessee as your top four teams in college basketball and the net rankings as of today, and that of course includes last night's results, where Tennessee lost at home. Auburn hasn't lost at home game, Houston hasn't lost a home game, Duke hasn't lost a home game. And I don't know if they're going to the rest of the way. Tennessee might just because of how good the SEC is and maybe somebody has figured out out a way to really neutralize this Tennessee team. So yeah, winning at Tennessee. What it does for Kentucky is that it makes it to where you don't want to slip up, but I mean your resume is I mean, you jumped up four spots last night, and that's coming off of a loss at Vandy and a loss to I guess Alabama the Saturday before that. So I mean, look, Mark Pope is winning games with a lot of value, and he's winning games that aren't just helping the resume. It's games that mean a lot to Kentucky and their fan base, including Duke in November and Tennessee in Knoxville, when Tennessee is has been billed as one of the best teams in the country all season, so you may be right, you know. And also something else to keep in mind the SEC. Are they going to get three number one seeds? I mean, I doubt it. I think they're gonna beat each other up enough to where you're gonna see so many SEC teams, more so on the two and three line. But Auburn's eighteen and one wouldn't I mean, I'd say they're maybe the best bet right now to get a one seed. I mean, Tennessee took a hit, but they'd probably still get one today. Florida, I mean, Bama, Kentucky, I mean, and by the way, that's the clear top tier of that league. I know A and M has had a good season so far and has good numbers, and I know Ole Miss and Mississippi State and even Missouri. I mean, the SEC's loaded, we know that. But I think the clear cut top tier of that league teams that you wouldn't be shocked if they're in the final four, all of them. It's Auburn, Tennessee, Alabama, and Kentucky and then I actually think there's a big gap after that, but again big gap and then that next group, those are still really good teams if we're being honest with ourselves. All right, So last night, I mean, I'll start with something we talked a bit, talked about a lot yesterday, and that was just the the Corey Alexander situation. And it really wasn't much of a situation. And I thought, and I'm sure you haven't gone back and listened to it right as you know, some of.
Speaker 3: The condensed version. But I was very as I was watching the game, very as entertaining as a game, was there something in my head going mad? I wonder what Nick's thinking about it?
Speaker 4: Guy?
Speaker 3: See right now, is is he on one?
Speaker 4: Is he humbled?
Speaker 3: I know I knew Beheim was strutting around in the center, but I didn't know if he was kind of keeping him at bay or.
Speaker 4: Well, so Beheim, I'd forgot about this and Behi and so much time has passed to where one it makes sense why myself and probably others have forgotten about this, or maybe you didn't know. And Beheim being ninety years old, seemingly he probably doesn't remember either. But Beheim and Kevin Willard specifically were really nasty when they returned to Louisville whenever Rick Bettino was fired because they were loyal to Rick. Beyheim gave Rick his first job, and you know, there's there's loyalty there, there's a there's a personal relationship that's strong, and he didn't like how Rick was treated towards the end. And with Kevin Willard the same thing. It's a family thing. Kevin and Ralph Willard father's son, very close to Rick and his family. So you know, I just remember, you know, those are guys that used to kind of feel like uncles, right of cousins because their family with Rick and Rick was our guy. So whenever they came in and just bashed U of l the University, the administration. It wasn't necessarily shocking given their connections to Rick, but it was you know, it didn't make me feel good. But Beheim, you know, he was really gushing over Louisville and Pat Kelsey and he knows, like Beyheim's well aware, Louisville is one of the best programs in the country, and man, Pat Kelsey at this point seems like the best thing that could have happened to him given the circumstances. So Beheim, to me, I kind of soured on him just because of well, I feel like he was kind of a pretty easy guy to dislike. I mean, he he's kind of smarty. He I don't think has ever been actually as good. I mean, he's somebody that, in my opinion, he got a title with Carmelo, and you can't take that away. Titles have value. There's many guys who have titles as coaches that a lot of us think it's because of a player they had, but towards the back half, maybe not the back half, because he coached. I mean, if we're talking back half of Beyheim, we're talking long before I was born. He coached. I think he got hired in like nineteen eighteen at Syracuse, but they were never good for like the last fifteen sixteen years. They made final fours maybe once or twice, but they were like I think of Beheim as a guy that should have been better towards the end that realized, Hey, people have figured out your two three zone, Bozo. Hey you're just a bubble team every year, Like that's what you became known for. So I kind of became anti Beheim. And I think more than anything, he was pretty easy guy to dislike. And also I just remember him being pretty and he's a good a hole, if that makes sense. Like when he's an a hole, you really feel like, man, this guy's a jerk. And he did that to us because of how he felt about Rick, and it kind of stuck with him. But last night he was I mean, he was funny to me in a weird way, Like I at times wondered if he had to be woken up from his nap when they came back from commercial break, because the last thing he's bringing on the broadcast is energy. And as somebody who you know works in broadcasting, and I'm sure those who are running the operation as far as the broadcast of last night's came on the a SEC network. I'm sure they if they heard this, they may think he's right. They have didn't talk very loud, so like you want to set levels relatively similar when you when you have people on Mike and you've got broadcasters that have been you know that that have been doing this a long time, West Durham and Corey Alexander and Beyheim just doesn't speak that loud, so like sometimes I can barely hear him. Which also even though he when he doesn't give you a lot of energy, and he's also very low volume wise, he kind of like it sounds like he's barely talking. But when he did talk last night, at times I thought he was kind of funny, like the guy that I thought would be a pretty funny kind of wise ass he showed it last night, because I mean, there are two lines in the game that I feel like, like, you know, in a weird way, and I guess that everybody's sense of humor is different, but like he hit me hard in my and like what I would think is funny, but also I'd be well aware that others wouldn't think it as funny. It's as funny as I do. Because Ft and Red. I mean that guy was a clown last night, the guy, the guy who got a technical after he I mean, he's getting killed out there. I mean the taunting technical on Sallas. Let's be honest, that is a technical, Like, you can't do that. I think both instances he deserved technicals, Like it's tough to see your best player do that, and he absolutely yammed on Big Frank. Yeah, but she can't do that, you like, it's a known thing, and people like like, why why shouldn't you be able to do that? Well, it's a different conversation. You can't do something you know that you can't do that. Others might agree that is a silly rule, and maybe you get away with it every now and then because maybe the ref isn't somebody that's willing to enforce it quite as much as others. But you already have one technical just for bitching about getting fouled when you didn't, and then you taunt it in somebody's face and the whole Like, there's two things that I can think of in the last I don't know fifteen years of basketball that that I think are kind of minor. But it's just a known rule. You remember when guys used to dunk and then slap the backboard. You don't see that anymore, you know why, automatic technical, and they enforced that. It's been a long time, but that that's why you don't see that anymore, about five six years ago in a while, Yeah, because because it was because it actually is kind of a badass way to like, you know, I kind of if I was able to dunk, which this may surprise a lot of you. At five foot eight and not a lot of athleticism, dunking is not something I've ever actually been able to do. Don't have bunnies, But if I could, I would absolutely want to slap that backboard while I'm up there just chilling above the rim, but you know, never been above the rim. Yeah, yeah, so like but they they decided that was considered taunting, and it's just a known thing if you do it and they see it. Automatic tea. Also throwing the ball in the air, that's another one I forgot about. You do that, you're gonna get a technical like sometimes your emotion gets the best of you. But like they they are, they're told to enforce that in all that every time, and the hitting the head, it means you got dunked on. Yeah, and it's a level of I guess, person like, it's very much a clear taunting thing. It's one thing to just flex and be excited and be happy or maybe look at somebody, but the hitting on the head is something that referees are quite literally told like to not allow happen. And yes, I'm sure you can find examples of it happening and it not getting called. But let me tell you what. It wasn't right after the dunk, and it wasn't directly in the guy's face. If somebody's running down court and they maybe are between the free throw line and the half court line and then they do it, you're probably gonna be able to get away with it. But like he he's somebody that's a super talented player. They would have gotten their ass kicked regardless if he got kicked out. But what he did at the timing, he did it like he has nobody to blame but himself. It's a known thing. You will get teed up for doing that. But Efton Reed was just out there getting teased for talking reckless when he's down a bunch and beheim I mean, and it wasn't. It was something he just said and nobody responded to because it was just kind of in the moment. Maybe Behem's kind of figuring out timing as a color analyst, that like, you can't just randomly blurt out. You got to kind of know your spots, which actually, in my opinion, is actually a really hard thing to do. Yeah, you got to get comfortable with it. But when you do, you're you know, you're set. But it's it's it's something that takes a little time. But he just said out loud, does that ftin read know he's down twenty seven? And and I just thought that was like, I mean, it's it's something very obvious that you rarely hear broadcasters say. But it's Beheim. He doesn't give a damn. Yeah, he's gonna say it's old. He's coming in too.
Speaker 3: It's it's just it's like he's thinking out loud, and he's reached that part to himself that does this guy know that he's down this amount of points?
Speaker 4: And they got he got teed up and they weren't down as much, and then he came back and got a bucket. I mean, he was a big he's a good player. I think he's he's lazy. He's lazy, but I mean he's he's got some skill. Was a big time recruiter. I believe he transferred from from LSU to Wake. And he's a good guy. He's a good player. So he he did score and then he was celebrating. And really, I mean, I wouldn't have been shocked if they heed him up then because he'd already give he'd already been given a technical. I'm pretty sure as far as just you know, and this is just a Wake looked unhinged last night, like they looked, they looked mentally weak, and Louisville was just out there playing ball, which again like corny to say, but I like to see my team out there not getting into the shenanigans that they were. But James Scott is walking off the floor, not saying a word to anybody other than you know, just walking to his coach and his teammates to sit down, and Epton Reid's like following him to the bench to talk reckless to him, and he gets teed up, like and and the best part was that it was Corey Alexander and Jim Beheim kind of doing their own talk show, and west Durham had to cut like, all of a sudden, we're watching the game and I'm thinking they haven't even like do we miss something? Do we need to rewind? Why is somebody shooting technical free throws? And then Westerham finally says, hey, fellows, hold on, partner, we gotta they've just given f and read a technical and you know, then they go then and then they go back and show kind of what he did that deserved that. But the other thing that Beaheim said that that that I thought was really funny. Welly we was asked to question that he gave a smart ass answer to which was funny. The question was what if Steve Forbes? What is Steve Forbes is gonna be able to find something offensively? And Behem responded with, I think his best bet is next week. I mean like just basically saying this is over, and then another one just this was just another one of his lines that you don't often hear broadcasters say. And I think if it was like if it was if I was a Wake Forest fan in the moment, I probably would have been bothered by it, because you know, that's my team. Had it been said about Louisville, Like when Kenny was here, I would have laughed and probably understood, because you know, that's how bad things were. But Wake's a good team and they were just getting blown out. They'd won like eight of nine going into last night before Louisville gave him a business So, uh, I mean out of nowhere. In the second half, he just says, man Steve Forbes, he is trying to figure out how the heck he can get out of here as soon as possible. And I mean, just again, I'm eating it up because he's talking up my team and really, you know, making it obvious that Chucky Hepburn and this Louisville team, Pat Kelsey, they got this way Forest team in hell. And I was not with you last night, but I yelled it aloud to my to my friends we went to dinner with to watch the game, or we actually hosted dinner. And uh, I had to give you credit because Cuffey had Chucky had the cuffs out.
Speaker 3: That sorry, Cuffy, I like that, I said, Cuffy's.
Speaker 4: Chucky had the cuffs out, So I like the cuffs, don't. I'd never heard that, but when I went to a game with Austin. First, Uh, we went to the Carolina game earlier this month. You know, Chucky, of course, one of the best defenders in college basketball. He really sets the tone and is I think he's the biggest factor on why this team is so good defensively because he's the one that's just making life a living health of the opposing guard that he's guarding, and then everybody else is just uncomfortable by the time they get they get the ball, and uh yeah, I think, I mean, I don't know where you heard. I mean, maybe that's basketball lingo that is just a little bit too young for me because I'm an old guy now. But Chucky's got the cuffs out is something I now find myself saying aloud when he's out there defending city. And and you know, I got to give credit. I got to cite the source. I gotta give credit to my guy Austin, because.
Speaker 3: He learned a lot of that basketball lingo, like playing two K with the boys back in the day.
Speaker 4: Cuffs And again, that's where I missed it, because I you know, I was an NBA live guy. I don't even know you remember that that was the course of the EA Sports Basketball game yeah, and then two K passed him up and they were like meaning e A was like, yeah, We're just gonna stick with Madden. That's what we do. That's our thing. So Corey Alexander last night he was fine. I mean, he didn't need to apologize, and I mean it would have been it would have been notable.
Speaker 1: That's why.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, but a little something in his ear. But he you know, he was very complimentary of Pat Kelcey. He really talked up the I mean, I feel like he could have at least been a little more aware of his nonsense because there were two times where he really said something that was not only true, but like it was. It was appreciated from a Louisville fan myself that when the when the Young was rocking, he said, this is what Louisville basketball, this is what it should be, and this is this is what rollerm my id you that this is one of the best atmospheres in college basketball, one of my favorite places to come and call a game because these fans. And again I said at the beginning of the show, I wasn't there last night. I had some real fomo, but I thought on television that looked as good as I've seen the em Center look in many many years.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it felt that way too.
Speaker 4: And I mean, it's just the energy in the vibe around Louisville Hoops right now is just it's it's through the roof and I love it.
Speaker 3: And guy Mike Rutherford tweeted last night and I told this to my dad Kirk as soon as soon as it happened. But everyone was just antsy waiting for Rain Smith to get open. Oh yeah, he finally got his first. Look like you see him finally get open. You could hear the gas, get it to him, get it to him, and then he did, because that's what everyone was waiting for. You talk about it kind of starting off a little bit slow, Wake was getting in guy's faces.
Speaker 4: No Wake came out with a really good mindset. Like look, Rain last night went four of ten from three and I feel like he had a quiet night. That's sixteen points and forty percent from the line. You know what that is. That's a damn good night for anybody. But you know, last game we saw me at ten. So just all around good vibes and it's been a fun ride so far. And I'm I'm I'm enjoying every minute of it. We got to get to a break. We'll come back and wrap up the three o'clock hour here on the other side, taking you up till six o'clock again. Coffee and Company fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: All right, we are wrapping up the three o'clock hour here on Sports Talk seven ninety. It's coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program if you haven't already. And I'll use this little time to mention a story that isn't a good one, but it's local here. There was a student at More High School that has been charged after I mean, I guess they call it swatting, but JCPS said that they will have a student criminally charged and disciplined for falsely reporting a shooting inside the high school. That was a story I believe. Yesterday I saw our own Paul Miles, the hardest working man in show business. He was reporting on it for WHAS and I saw that, and I guess it's just part of me getting older, and I'm a dad. So my instant thought was, man, I feel I feel for like those parents. But then again, now I also am getting even older as a parent to where I now understand when you have kids that are troubled and have issues, you never know why that's happened. But not a surprise for me at times when I see that their issues are are because they don't have good parents. But like you, I mean not to say that this person's life should be ruined, but like I won't be surprised if the prosecution is to the full extent and they make an example because I think with the sensitivity for good reason to that kind of stuff, like that's the I mean, I don't know where you would rank the last things that you should joke about in society and twenty twenty five, but a school shooting has certainly got to be up there towards the top, because I mean, it's it happens. I mean, we're at a point now where it's still just an unthinkable thing and it's just so horrific and tragic, especially when you have multiple children and teachers and just anybody losing their life. I mean You're not surprised by it now like you were when Columbine happened, because it happens. I mean, anytime it happens is something that should never happen, but it happens frequently for something like that. I mean, it's just it's crazy. So, I mean, I don't know what kind of real charges and I'm not even sure what the charges are. Again, I know it's a real thing. In fact, there's been a couple of documentaries I've seen true crime stuff that feature just kind of what this has become. How and again I'm just kind of racking my brain here as I'm revisiting this. I stream a lot of stuff that's whenever I go and run on the treadmill to gym, I just find something to watch. And I'm a nerd for documentaries. And I believe initially the whole swatting thing about calling in like a fake bomb threat, that kind of stuff, it was a real problem for years where it took up a ton of resources. It was a really serious and scary thing. But the actual you know, the accountability didn't match up, meaning what you were charged with and what you were going to be punished with. It just didn't seem severe enough, and I guess that's I think that since changed. But I mean, can you imagine being a parent at a school and it making the news or you getting alerted by the school system that that someone has reported that there's a shooting at your I mean like that. I mean, I just I lose my ability to speak whenever I think about sort of how I would react to that, because I don't know what I would do. I mean, be scary. It's almost it's almost like these kids that do the challenges that become like a trend for you younger people, young you know, dumb kids, if if I may, like eating tide pods and whatnot, like that kind of stuff. Well, there was one where kids were out there and the challenge was to go missing, go in hiding long enough to where you make the news as a missing kid, and like you for for you know, a couple of couple of laughs with your pals in school. You know what you're putting your parents through, Like you're a sixth son of a bitch. No pardon my French, but like that's the world. I mean, like I'm not sure my children could do something. I mean, I guess they could I don't want to think about it would be But like if I knew that my kid was playing a funny on me, and he was because he, you know, wanted to get some laugh with laughs with his buddies, and I thought he was abducted or something like, I feel like I don't know if I'd ever forgive him. I don't know if I could ever not love my child, because you know, that's just what you feel like as a parent. But man, that that's I mean, it's great that it wasn't a real threat, but man, I wouldn't be shocked if if the extent of the punishment is is severe. All Right, two more hours left. We'll get back into the fun stuff and that's basketball around here, and we'll take you up till six o'clock on Sports Talk seven ninety