Speaker 1: Welcome back to The Doctor Wendy Walls Show and KFI AM six forty Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. My guest is someone who has been spending a great deal of her life helping women transform their own lives. I've actually been honored to be a guest on her podcast, Conversations with Warrior Women in the past, although now it's called The Liz swat Oh, I'm gonna say it wrong, Liz, how do I pronounce your last name? Love?
Speaker 2: Swatik?
Speaker 1: Swatik Like I'm gonna swatick you out of my way so I can go forward to be a warrior right.
Speaker 2: Swatik Liz Swatik.
Speaker 1: Liz is a healer and rapid transformation coach. Rapid I love that word, and she basically is all about resilience and when she, just like myself as a journalist, brings knowledge to the masses, it is from the world's of neuroscience, human design, and sometimes mastering our own illogical, irrational and downright wrong beliefs. Liz Swaddick, thank you so much for being with us.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. I'm so excited to be here.
Speaker 1: I am curious to know how you found your own passion and what you did before this that led you to this place of being a healer and transformation coach.
Speaker 3: Well, the better question might be what haven't I done?
Speaker 2: I have a resume like that too.
Speaker 3: I know, Oh my gosh, I have been. I was a stand up comedian, I was an actress. I was in luxury marketing. I had a social media company that I ended up selling because it was just too much for me. All this to say, I think, you know, you hit a certain age. I'm fifty five, Double Nickel, just had my double Nickel birthday, Happy birthday. I thank you. I think when you know, when you're in your forty fifty sixty, I start to realize, you know, maybe the things you were doing before, just because you're good at it doesn't mean you want to keep doing it. And I think I learned that and I kind of hit a wall at forty nine and I realized I'm not I'm just kind of going along, just doing kind of whatever comes to me. I'm not really making these choices that I want to make. And then I had some guilt and shame about this that i'd done. I felt like I was the Jane of all trades and the master of None. You know, I've done everything and had some success, but really, now when I look back on it, I've now it seems like this beautiful mosaic my whole life. Now, everything I'm doing now I use every single thing I've ever done in my coaching and my healing. It's almost like Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, like I went down the Yellowick road and here I am and I have arrived. So it's I think I was always curious about transformation. I think I've always been curious about healing and transforming and changing and evolving, and I think now I get to do it for a living, and that just is amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, what's interesting is I think often of my own media work. I think of that wonderful saying from is it from Jonathan Livingston Segull in that book where he says we teach best what we most need to learn. And for people like you and I, Liz, who are extroverts who process externally as we are going through our own life, navigating of life, we're like shouting it from the rooftops for people like, oh my goodness, this is what this is how you do it?
Speaker 2: Look I'm doing it, and it sounds like you went.
Speaker 1: Through your own transformation to get to this place to want to share it with other warrior women.
Speaker 3: No, that's exactly right. It's because I have walked this path that I am an expert in transformation. And also, you know, I'm also an expert expert of getting knocked down and getting back up again, which I know you are as well. I think I think that's kind of you know when people come to me like, well, Liz, I can't do it because I'm going through this or this, and I say, yes, I've done that, Yes me too, Uh huh, Yes, I've heard this, you know. So I think because I've been through so many things, everything from infertility to marriage issues too. I've got a child with a physical difference. I've got a child with altered of colitis. I mean, I have things, you know. I've had a kid with ADHD who's struggled through high school. I've had so many things. So I think because I've had so many things, I have a unique way of using my stand up comedy, using my humor, and really understanding where women are in midlife and what they what the unique challenges are of that of that zone.
Speaker 1: And I don't need to tell you that we are a very unique species in that we are the only one of three species on the entire planet that has men upon us a time of a woman's life where she is wise, experienced, energetic, fun and also sterile and evolution. Mother Nature was so perfect she was she created the stage of a woman's life.
Speaker 2: I believe well.
Speaker 1: Evolutionary psychologists would say to help nurture the next generation, but that includes getting involved in politics, building businesses, building charities. That's all nurturing the culture. We become custodians of the culture because we now have the time to do that. But figuring out it sounds to me like the people who follow you and read your work and listen to your podcast are people who are trying to figure out how to create that important meaning during that special third of their life.
Speaker 2: Am I right?
Speaker 3: You're one hundred percent right. I call it legacy work. I think a lot of women think of legacy of what happens after we're gone. I believe that we live our legacy now in our thoughts are actions, how we make people feel, how we feel, All the choices that we're making every single day is leaving a legacy. And I lead women to that many different ways, but the first step is always there's needs to be some healing.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Sometimes we have to go back into our past to look kind of at how we got where we are, how did we get here. And when you look at your past, it's not to live there, right, to not live in the hood, as I say, the victimhood. Not live in the hood, but to look at it and find the diamonds. What are these points of wisdom? And like exactly, like you're saying, there's a unique wisdom that comes to us in our forties, fifties and sixties because we have lived. We have lived and we have wisdom. And I think there's this kind of prevailing knowledge that we're supposed to shrink away or feel bad because we're aging. It's like, no, this is the juiciest period of your life. This is the time where you need to be sharing your wisdom. And I have these safe spaces where women can come and share their wisdom, and you know, there's everybody gets to, you know, be together and feel safe enough to expand and grow and try things right and.
Speaker 1: Evolves exactly, And let me tell you, there is so much opportunity for all women to be effective, to create change and have meaning. And definitely we are not meant to wither away. We're in what I call our power stage. This is definitely our power stage. So when we come back Liz, Liz Swatick, there's a via there by the way that she says sounds like a W so she apparently has rewritten the alphabet as well.
Speaker 2: That's how. Yes, this woman's super powerful. Your new book is.
Speaker 1: Called Finding Your Diamonds Heal the Girl and the Warrior is revealed. I got cut my spears and the Warrior appears there literally one word got cut off and my printed thing. I was like, I know something happens with this Warrior. I know she comes out somehow. Welcome back to the home stretch of the Doctor Wendywall Show on KF I am six forty. My guest is Liz Swatik, dealer and transformation coach. Her new book is called Finding Your Diamonds, Heal the Girl and the Warrior appears. First of all, Liz, when I saw your new book cover, I was thrilled. It's gorgeous. You're gorgeous. The colors are great. We're not afraid of pink anymore?
Speaker 2: Are we.
Speaker 3: No? Tell unafraid?
Speaker 1: Tell me how you chose this title and what does it really mean? Finding your diamonds?
Speaker 3: So yeah, first of all, I love it because to me, when I see this cover it's pink and white, it just would I would want to buy this cover just because it looks delicious. It looks like a dessert. But don't don't hear what I'm not saying, because this is a very deep book. This is a very very deep book, despite all the pink and every all the things on the cover. But Finding your Diamonds is about finding the wisdom, going back in the ashes of your past, maybe even things that you thought really went terribly or things you have regret or shame about, and unearthing excavating the diamonds of wisdom. Because how are diamonds made? Of course through pressure, right, force, heat, you know all the elements.
Speaker 2: And we've had a lot of pressure. Liz. Let me just say, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. I mean, there's no listen to the truth is women are just standing on diamonds, that's what they're doing. And I think they don't understand that. They think that all these things that have happened to them, you know, it's ruined parts of their lives, or they have regret. There is no regret because everything that you have been through is a diamond. And I think it takes some distance and time right to hit those juicy forty fifty sixties, so you can really look and find them. But I'm encouraging women to find the diamonds that they can stand on and build a foundation on and then heal the girl and the warrior appears. I am a big proponent of little girl work. Back in the day they called it, you know, inner child work. I call it little girl work because I work with women. But that she is really the key. That little girl, when you reconnect with her, it brings back the playfulness, the energy, lightness, and then also guess what, you get to feel your feelings. I mean, every woman I work with, they tell me their tears are stuck in their throat and they're apologize for crying, and I say, no, it's okay, right, Like we're supposed to feel the full range of human emotion. So that little girl is really the key to our healing.
Speaker 1: And let's talk about some news you can use. Can you share a couple strategies from the book Finding Your Diamonds.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I will tell you. In this book, I have included a little girl meditation, so you get to in the kindle, you just click to it. Otherwise you can see the website to go to, but there is a meditation. So I'm a big proponent of using meditation to reconnect with your little girl because I know it's hard, right, it's hard to kind of imagine sometimes or we're afraid to do this work. So I've made this gorgeous meditation that you can do. Also, in every single chapter, I have exercises everything from boundaries to little girls work, to legacy work, and questions that you can ask yourself. So even though I'm using my story to kind of illustrate it, every single chapter has questions and things you can do in journal about But one thing I would say if I had, if I had to give a tip, I would definitely say that it's getting it's getting quiet. You know, I think we're really busy. We never slow down.
Speaker 2: We are very busy, Barbie Sias.
Speaker 1: We have people to take care of older people, young people, work people.
Speaker 2: We barely have time to take care of our own bodies.
Speaker 3: Yes, and we are we are the caretakers, and so I get that. But if you do not slow down, you cannot hear your intuition. You cannot hear your own voice. So that's that's the first thing you have to do. You have to slow down and start letting your feelings and your thoughts catch up with you. Not that you can. You don't have to believe every thought you're thinking, because guess what, that mind is tricky, So I wouldn't believe every thought comes to your mind. But at least here hear yourself right, and slow down and a long enough so that you can actually feel and know where you are.
Speaker 2: Where can people get the book?
Speaker 1: Finding Your Diamonds Heal the Girl and the Warrior appears.
Speaker 3: Right now. You can get it on Amazon. It's available kindle, paperback, hardcover, and actually for the next four days it's free on your kindle.
Speaker 1: Wow, you should have told me to bring my kindle to work. Wait, I think I have the Kindle app. It might even work on the Kindle app. Right, I'm gonna try to figure this.
Speaker 3: We can do it.
Speaker 1: Try to figure this out. It's interesting that you will close by talking a little bit about meditation. For any of our listeners out there who think that meditation is woo woo California silly stuff, there is. I teach a section on meditation in my health psychology class to university students, and I teach what the research says. And what's really fascinating about the research is, not only does it make you more empathetic more than anything, you have less rumination about your stress. Those are thoughts spinning around. It creates a nice little gap between Oh, a bad thing happened and what should I do next? There's it slows your brain enough. It's like you know, you know how Liz. They call it a practice, right, And I always say that you know what you're practicing for stress in life? When you meditate, your practicing for the stress. So I use the metaphor of like, you know, you don't go on a StairMaster or a run on a treadmill only to look good. It's because one day that car is going to careen at you while you're in a crosswalk and you're gonnaed to jump out of the way, and if you've been working out, you'll be able to do that.
Speaker 2: So the same thing with.
Speaker 1: Our minds and meditation is if we stop our thoughts. I mean, we're not supposed to stop our thought. You're suposed to just watch your thoughts and acknowledge them and respect them. But it gives you a chance to just create a little gap or a space between feeling and behavior, and it gives you, like this little time to think it out, which is so right. And I'm just so grateful, Liz, that you do the work you do because I know this is important to many many women. They feel like, you know, our culture talks about agism like we're somehow irrelevant if we can't have a baby yet. Now our babies are the entire globe of babies and adults. We're taking care of lots of people right.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. And you know it's funny about meditation. You just made me think of something. When you think about meditation, you know, you think about all the things you're like you're saying, you're practicing. We're always practicing what we don't want. We're always worried, we're focused on what we don't want. Rarely do we focus on what we do want and how we do want to feel. No one to ask women how do you want to feel? But that's the question you can ask yourself in midlife, and that's what you get to do when you meditate. You get to actually focus on what you do want practice what you do want to feel when you're meditating. So and you're and meditating brings brain coherence. Everybody tells me, oh my god, I feel like my brain is scrambled. I can't remember anything. They're using meditation with Parkinson's now, they're literally helping people with Parkinson's with brain coherence. It literally tells the centers of your brain to come back together. So listen. I went kicking and screamings. I did not want to do it, but boy, is it important. You're one hundred percent right.
Speaker 1: Liz Swadik, thank you so much for joining us today. The book is Finding Your Diamonds. Heal the Girl and the Warrior appears. You can get it on Amazon, Kindle anywhere, and it's free for the next four days. I'm going to punch it into my Kindle app Liz right away. Thanks for being with us and that and that brings the Doctor Wendy Wall Show to a close. It is always my pleasure to be with you every Sunday from seven to nine pm. If you missed any part of the show, Remember, producer Caleb puts it right up on the iHeartRadio app afterwards as a podcast. I think they call it Doctor Wendy on Demand. So if you haven't downloaded the iHeartRadio app, you should search Doctor Wendy Walsh and then there's a little button at the top called pre set. If you hit that preset button, then anytime you open the app p here, whatever you missed shows up, so you'll never miss any part of the Doctor Wendy Walls Show. Also, feel free to follow me on my social media where I talk about the science of love a lot at Dr Doctor at Dr Wendy Walsh is the handle. We'll see you next week. Thanks for listening to the Doctor Wendy Walls Show on KFI Am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.