Speaker 1: Unsolved Mysteries. Tonight's unsolved mystery is made in that land of many mysteries, India, where squalorant welp side by side all the head and bends the neat oft strange gods. India, where every bazaar, every temple, every compound has its fakir or holy man, a sort of privileged beggar whom white men and black alike fear more than they admit the salt i I. The scene is the United Services Club in Simla. Officers in there, stiffly started to tropical mess dress, sit around to the randa, cooling off under a waving punker, while barefooted native servants carry trays of glasses which resound to the musical and appetizing tinkle of cubes of ice. And Colonel I'll say this for India, you certainly know how to make use house comfortable. We have to, Bucklim. If we didn't, we wouldn't be able to stick it out in the hot feed. But tell me, buck Lay, what exactly did you mean when you said I'll say this, or inde, nothing in particular, Colonel Court, You fellows don't realize it. You're always trefacing a remark or following it with but this is India. Well well, I mean it's all right, the stuff books back home with all the time it wrought about India's lower in India's mystery, and it couldn't happen anyplace else but India. But after all, you know, the they just hear, just ordinary human beings, no different many places else. Listen, Bucklyn, he'll be out here at Sait four months now. You will with your wives, never cascinated, Never laugh at his seals, never ridicule his ideas, and above all, don't try to show your superiority by trying to expose one of their satire. You actually mean, colonel, that you believe in their superstitious bunk lesson Buckling, I like you pull your chair over this way a little, and I'll tell you something. A good number of years ago I was promoted to captain. I had three months three even England. I was young, very proud of my captain's strips. I sent in love with every pretty girl I saw her back home, while I fell hard for a school day sweetheart. We were married, and Doroth and mea sale on the piano, A marvelous strip landed a bombay and I found orders waiting for you to proceed on duty Bangalore. I whiled low sing my bear un told him to get everything ready, caught the train on just at dusk. We pulled up at Mike quarter. Ji's captain chaid cheerio, louthing, now thing, here's the new men's side. The savant is on d and this darling is what we call the living room. And in there behind the bead captain in the combination's smoking room, then library, card room and general get together play books, books.
Speaker 2: In our books. I'm going to spend hours in there when your own music, oh in the complete set of Kippling.
Speaker 1: Is and anything you want it isn't there? Just that? Why? Why, Dorothy?
Speaker 2: What's wrong for Georgia? I'm straight something came over there. I don't know. It seems as if someone you're trying to compel me to do something.
Speaker 1: I grew cold all over afraid.
Speaker 2: Look, George, is that out there on the compound in front of that comple camerist?
Speaker 1: Well, oh, oh, the old fact yere. He hangs around here quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Down nd him away. She's doing this to me, I know he is.
Speaker 1: Oh my dear, your please dodge send him away.
Speaker 2: I can't stand it isn't.
Speaker 1: See you, But Dorothy, I confidence that I can't send him a way?
Speaker 2: Why can't you? Why can't you tell someone to get off your own ground.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit hard to understand, Dorothy, frustranger here, But one doesn't order fact here to do anything it well, the natives will be a fig It's my curse. I'm in the natives dislife. You can offer that and my fear of him listen to reasons. Well in India now, I'm not Donna England, you know, and we must do things according to the country and telling it.
Speaker 2: He's smelling nazy to get off your own properties against the customer of the.
Speaker 1: Country, is it by Joe? Yes, you know it really isn't done, don't you see? Yes? Oh yes, sir, Oh too bad? Oh yes, of course, as soon as I can slip into service dogs, why yes, so right, though I won't bother to change. Oh it down with a touch of fever. I have to say guard due to tonight thing, yes, sort and service capt Judge.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be less to.
Speaker 1: My dearest lou sing and that metas in the compound and the testing water carry as sleeps all night on the verandah. You didn't have to go. It's got to help out when the chap goes down with fever. Don't you know it? My turn someday? O carryo goodbye.
Speaker 2: Let me see. Oh, here's kiplings at the end of the passage.
Speaker 1: A lot will be a good test for nerves.
Speaker 2: Yes, lesson? Oh is that here?
Speaker 1: What do you want? Get out?
Speaker 2: You know I come into this room.
Speaker 1: The memosipe does not like wilder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, I don't. I don't want you know this now I'll call.
Speaker 1: As seeing a simple child. He would not dare enter the room while some beg is present, So you please go, and the memsipe is given to me the thing which I desire. What do you want?
Speaker 2: I'll give you anything to get you out of here that some beg.
Speaker 1: One soltly one stand of the memside hair, no more, one stand my hair. Couldn't ask for the members, I would not understand. It is for a charm, a charm for my nephew who is in the ill country and very sick.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll give you a stand my hair. God Brander, I think.
Speaker 1: The memsipe is very kind. Older Assam will not forget. I wait on the veranda.
Speaker 2: I'm not being kind. I'm doing it to get rid of your piculous idea. Stand my hair. I'd like to make a fool of him and his charm, and I can't too. Cat Chinese rug if made of hair on, it's the identical color of mine. I did stand.
Speaker 1: Yes, here's you're standing here? All that? Some thanks? The men tied, and now for the present.
Speaker 2: Goodbye, Thank goodness, he's gone. I wonder where the elson can be? I didn't if she tests for care out of the bungalow.
Speaker 1: No thing, no answer? What can have happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sing, lasting, where are you?
Speaker 2: Something's wrong?
Speaker 1: I know it is?
Speaker 2: We sing?
Speaker 1: Everything going wrong? Standing black the c really happy.
Speaker 2: The can spinning so fast makes me busy disy mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Elp, don me where are you? Oh? Good? She says you're losing, helping her lift her onto the wicker couch. Are that easy? Way? What happened? In? I tell you? Tell me? If you can't, what happened? Why did you come back? No thing ran down to the back for me when he saw the fat here come out of the randow.
Speaker 2: Why didn't this change of me?
Speaker 1: He couldn't raise his handy chake a fact here, my dear, But never mind. Tell me what happened that tare came in here.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't leave till I gave him this ten in my hair.
Speaker 1: You gave him one.
Speaker 2: I didn't not food him. I gave him a chance. And that Chinese rug in the.
Speaker 1: Other room, Oh that's not colf starting. That's sitting on your feet.
Speaker 2: What could he want with this tand of my hair?
Speaker 1: I don't know. But if I do know, when I lay hand on.
Speaker 2: The natives, my dear, you can't even touch a sack care you know, can't.
Speaker 1: You'll just wait and see what the life can do this. It's all right, my dear. Something in the back group now down. But I know it isn't more life.
Speaker 2: I'm not that horrible feeling again.
Speaker 1: Don't give it.
Speaker 2: Something moving rising?
Speaker 1: Two things? I got my gun now, don't please what I thought?
Speaker 2: He didn't touch it?
Speaker 1: I know I hate it. God thy stopping out on the river. That's tiny, r right, can come.
Speaker 2: Of sit by me?
Speaker 1: Nothing? Tell me no? Okay? Sits on the ground, just in front of the timber spri thing on the ground. Chose the love I continued it it's impossible. No, not impossible, not impossible. It is the Chinese rug. Shab two bullet holes in it. It shaved him shives life, Yes, loves the Chinese Rug, and it saved more than a men sives life. Well, that is an amazing Sorry that major happened to doll hear me. We never talk of it, but you see old Jep I never sneered it native beliefs. But colonel, you didn't finish our story. What do you mean? What about the park here? Did you horse hi him? I didn't have to. No. No, next morning Loo thing came and got me. We went out into compound and they're right in front of that camp of tame risk, wrapped in the strangling polt of the Chinese Rug. Say the old Sakir dead. Out of deference to people who are still alive. Character names in these unsolved mysteries have been changed inasmuch as any solution must have necessity be supposition. Liberties of time, place, and character exist in the solution that will be presented after you have heard from the wisponsor sinking at the suffer, Ladies and gentlemen, the solution for what you have been waiting. But tell me, colonel, didn't you ever try to find out how such a thing could be possible. You understand, of course that workers in black metic, whether they be in Hitti Ethic or India, believe there's something personal. There's kind of hair, fingernails clipping and such light are an essentially breathe into the formula. They're black art and your wife Dorothy and taking the stand of hair from the Chinese rug and giving that to the park here because they did his powers from controlling her exactly, all the concentration, all the pent up theory, the hatred and diabolical coming at the fact here what leveled at the objects most totally connected with that kind of hair. I can understand that, and I can understand, since you say it so that the Phakia might have une harmed Dorothy, who is a living being, But that such power could really affect a thing like a rug is something else. Again. Scientists are divided in their opinion as to how such things are possible. But here let me show you a brief quotation from the Encyclopedia Britannica. Physical phenomena can be grouped under two main heads. Telican niesis or the movement of objects at a distance other than by ordinary physical means, and tell it plesme or the exclusion from the body of the medium of a substance, sometimes amorphous, sometimes resembling portions of the human body, or even complete figures. Phenomena of both these kinds have long been familiar. And then the quotation then teleconesis, the movement of an object is recognized by scientists as being possible decided to resolve. And I can assure you that if you live in India long enough, you will see more than one demonstration of the power of concentrated mind over purely inanimate meta. Thank you, colonel, but after hearing your story, I really don't believe that I want to