Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, this is coffee and company fuel Beth Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee. That's me and the one and only Austin Montgomery along the side. As we continue to uh to wind down another year, twenty twenty four almost over and uh, you know, I I know, I'm I'm I sound like what everybody says, Where did time go? How is it already the end of the year, which you know, you know, of course is is cliches or cliches for a reason. I think everybody would agree that that time seems to go by, you know, pretty fast, especially when you don't want it to. But over the you know, over the over the last year. What I want to do here is I mean, this this hour. We're not going to make it the whole show, but what I want to do is kind of look back and not just you know, sports stuff. Obviously, there's certain things that stand out from this year when it comes to sports. Both programs hired new basketball coaches, which is a big deal, you know, Louisville. I mean, again, we can get into that, but I also want to talk about like and it doesn't have and alsto, what do you think about this?
Speaker 3: Like I was going to ask.
Speaker 2: Best movie you watched in twenty twenty four, best series you watched in twenty twenty four, maybe best documentary if that's your kind of thing, best sporting event you went to. But when it comes to like, I wasn't going to make it to where like the movie or show had.
Speaker 3: To come out that year, right, I'm just I wanted it to more so just something that you liked, something for you.
Speaker 2: That year, because because you know, I'll be honest with you, I was looking at these lists that are out there for best of twenty twenty four, that are all over the internet right now, and like, when it comes to movie, I don't know if I saw a single movie that is like mentioned as one of the best movies of the year that is about to end.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I like what I mean.
Speaker 2: I consume a lot of content like most people, but for some reason, movies.
Speaker 3: Just not been you know.
Speaker 2: I guess I now never even think to go see a movie, if you know what I mean. Like, I'm more so just going to watch a movie that that is on one of the streaming apps that I have. But you know, we are back to where movies first now end up in theaters before they end up anywhere else. And you know, for a while that wasn't a thing.
Speaker 4: So when's the last time you went to a movie theater where I go see a movie?
Speaker 3: Been a long long time.
Speaker 5: So not in the year twenty twenty four at least.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I don't think I've been to I don't think I've been to the movie theater in gosh, gotta be so my son is four, I've not gone to the movie theater since he's been alive.
Speaker 3: So four years at at least. So I used to.
Speaker 2: Live near a movie theater, and that just made it convenient to where if my wife and I when we didn't have kids, meaning before we were parents, like we would eat, we would go to the movies like three times a month, which maybe that's not a whole lot, but like for us, it was because if we did, if we went to dinner and we didn't just want to go home for the night, like we'd go find a movie and know that we're, you know, just a few blocks down from our neighborhood.
Speaker 5: So yeah, nice little cinematic experience.
Speaker 2: And you know, usually at that time, I feel like, you know, it was a pretty common thing. You'd see a preview for a movie, you realize it's coming out in a few weeks, and you try to make plans to go see it.
Speaker 3: So we did it pretty often.
Speaker 2: And then once we once we became parents, and you know, we we taken a little little one to a movie just wasn't a thing.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And if we did get a sitter and go do something as parents while somebody watched our daughter, we we just didn't do movies. We would do dinner and go out, and just wasn't kind of a thing. So I would I that was a long winded way of me answering your question saying that I believe that.
Speaker 3: I think I've been to the movie theaters.
Speaker 2: Twice since I've been a parent, which my daughter will be nine years old next month. So I don't go to the movies much at all, but I used to a lot, which is where which is funny because now that makes a little more sense as to when I would think, oh, yeah, I haven't seen that movie in a while. I did see it in theaters and I'm like, this movie's ten years old, and well, yeah, it's kind of my window. I mean again, me miss is me being in my own world. I just feel like people don't go to the movies like they used to. But maybe that's just me and I'm the one that's in the minority ones. I mean, how I'm assuming you've been this year, and it's so like how many times.
Speaker 4: I've probably been about three or four times this year. And I didn't used to go a lot either, but me and the fiance have made it a thing. Just they're fun little date nights you can go. Well now you could get like alcohol at movie theaters, so that always makes it a little bit better taking margarita. And also just because I grew up with it, there's just something about like going to like a like a nice chain restaurant, you know, before going out like a like a Texas roadhouse, or where do we get Chewies? A couple of weeks shout out Chewies, Shout out to the Chewies before we went to go watch Wicked. But I will say, if we're just gonna go ahead and just dive right into it, I think the best movie that I watched probably has to be what I just went and saw the other day and Christmas even that was the The Complete Unknown movie. That's the Bob Dylan movie with that that kid, Timothy Schallomey, he's a he's a hot commodity in Hollywood right now. He played what's it called, uh, The Complete Unknown. It's like the it's like a Bob Dylan movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were telling me about this one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, really really good. I'm really not a big Bob Dylan fan. Uh, I guess he was kind of way before my time, but it was like folk music. The fiance is really into that. So we went watch that. It was a good story.
Speaker 5: I thought.
Speaker 4: I thought Timothy Chalomey pretty much killed it with that role. I thought that was really good. And since I'm a wrestling fan, there was that one movie that came out earlier this year, The Iron Claw, where they're following around the von Erics, which.
Speaker 3: Was a really familiar with that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, really it was really touching and well that's a heartbreaking story the von eric family. Anyways, and ye had that kid a zach Efron and uh, the kid that plays in The Bear, he's also in h is it? Is it shameless too? I think it's a Jeremy Jeremy Jeremy something.
Speaker 2: The guy, Yeah, the guy, but yeah, I know exactly You're talking about his lip and shameless. But he's the main guy in the Bear, which I couldn't That's one of the most popular shows. I just couldn't really get into it. I never dislike it, but I just didn't. It just didn't do anything for me, you know what I mean, I could take it or leave it. Which when there's so many things to watch, like, I'm not just gonna spend time watching a show because like it's decent, I'm gonna find something that I that I really liked. That was one of the first shows that I felt like had a very you agree, I had a very big approval rating initially, right, and I felt like, what's wrong with me? Because I'm not really into it. There's other shows that I've yet to watch that I just have a hard time believing I wouldn't like because everybody seems to like it. And I'll get to him at some point. But Game of Thrones and that's a great show and the Ted Lasso on on Apple TV. So I am trying to find the name of the movie that I think is the best movie that I watched. And here's like, I'm just now the last time I watched a movie was last time I was in an airport. So what I'll do is I'll go in Netflix or I'll go because I never looked to watch movies on Netflix or Amazon or Hulu, just because I usually just get into documentaries or binging shows. Movies just don't do it as much for me. So not that I don't like movies, it's just for the way I consume content. I'd either get lost in a show than watch a movie for an hour and a half. And I don't like splitting up movies where I like watch half of it now and half of it later. So anyways, I will download, I'll go to if I know I've got a two hour flight or an hour and a half flight or whatever it may be. Instead of starting a show, I'll just go download a movie from Netflix or these one of the apps. That way I can I can watch it sure. And what's the name of the girl? What is the name of the girl that's in Twilight? Oh gosh, it's gonna drive me crazy. Kristin Stewart Christin Stewart. Yeah, so she's in this movie. She's one of the main characters. And I've always felt like she was a really terrible actress. Like I actually watched the Twilight stuff a little bit with my wife. It's actually not a bad series, for the for the for the you know, for the time she was my girlfriend. Like, I wasn't really in a position to be like, you know, this isn't you know. I was gonna watch it with her and it was interesting enough. But what stood out to me throughout the movies those movies was that, like the acting was really bad in most and it was mostly her, Like that's what really surprised me, because she was like the big star.
Speaker 3: But yeah, she was. She was a really really bad actress.
Speaker 4: That's the universal sentiment about that whole series, as Kristin Stewart is just her whole dead pan and just terrible acting.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: So, so she's in So you gave me her name, I googled it and now I found what movie it is because she's in it. But and I knew that was the best way for me to trace down with what but this movie is? But it's called Love Lies Bleeding and it's a thriller.
Speaker 5: Remember you telling me about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I mean, I'd never heard of it, but I saw that it was available on I think it might have been on HBO Max initially. Now it's on Netflix if you want to watch it. But I was watching. I downloaded on HBO Max and watched it, and I never heard of it. And it's got I mean, it's an independent film, so maybe that's why I just didn't have the same promotion. But it's got a I mean, it's got Kristin Stewart, as I mentioned, jennam Alone, Dave Franco, Franco's little brother, and Ed Harris is also in it too, and he's got a big role.
Speaker 3: So it's I mean, it's monster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's phenomenal, and it's one of those movies that I don't think that I've heard anybody else talk about. It came out last year in January, and it did go to theaters, but I don't.
Speaker 3: Again, I don't remember seeing any previews.
Speaker 2: I just randomly found it and downloaded it and watched it and never heard anything about it. And then I realized that it's actually now on Netflix.
Speaker 5: So what's it about.
Speaker 2: So it's about a it's set in in the late eighties. I'll read here directly says set in the nineteen set in nineteen eighty nine. In the film's plot follows the lesbian relationship between a reclusive gym manager who is part of a crime family and an ambitious bodybuilder who gets wrapped up and organized crime. Like's it's crime, it's grimy, it's kind of like effed up, like very much rated R, but really really really good. And the girl who is the second I guess lead. Her name is Katie O'Brien, and I don't really know what she's necessarily known for. This was only like her. I mean, this was her first big role in a movie looking here at her at her profile. But she was phenomenal in it, and I hope she gets more work because she was Apparently she was in Twisters too that they just redid.
Speaker 5: I didn't see that.
Speaker 2: But the first movie she was in was was Lovelized Bleeding, and she's she's kind of like the co star along with Kristen Stewart co lead, I should say, and they it was.
Speaker 3: It was really really good.
Speaker 2: I would recommend it if you if you were into that kind of that kind of stuff. And then let's just shift right into series. What series would you say? And it can it can be like, you know, season two of this show, because obviously you know some series last years when they go into multiple seasons. But I'll give you time to think about it, because I know directly, I know absolutely what mine is and uh, I cannot wait for season two to come out, which I believe comes out here in January. But Severance the TV show uh is on Apple TV. I mean it was I loved it and I didn't really know it and I'm reading here direct like how what they describe it as, because if you told me, you know, actually psychological thriller, I think can can can be something I would believe that I'd be interested in. But science fiction and a lot of what happens in this show is is something that like I never think will be remotely believable that makes sense. Like I'm not real big into any kind of content story where it's like we're living among like I got into Walking Dead enough, but things that I just don't see as any in any way reality, like and I'm not somebody who who you know is so like for example, the movie that you didn't like on Netflix that came out.
Speaker 3: What's it called, The carry On Bag?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Carry on, yeah, carry on.
Speaker 2: Like I get every reason as to why you said what you said about that, but I was fine with it because I'm also somebody that like understands, like you got to tell a story. If you got to dumb it down and do something that we know is not realistic, but like it it furthers the story, then I'm fine with it. But like I get why there was a lot of criticism for that show. So back to me, like I just if something is so far fetched and not really That's why I've never been into like the the Barble movies and things like that. It's just I'm not anti it, but it just doesn't really pull me in. So there's an element of that to this show severance. But like I was so hooked I throughout the entire nine episode season one, I kept thinking at all times, like something BIG's about to happen. There's gonna be some kind of a development, We're gonna get some answers as to why this happened.
Speaker 3: And I mean there's just it's it's it's.
Speaker 2: Not a there's been some shows like this where maybe I'm just too dumb for it, where I'm like, okay, I get that you're trying to like be super like surprising, and you know there's cliffhangers everywhere, like but I can't keep up, like I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 3: I'm lost. Yeah, this didn't do that, but it was constantly.
Speaker 2: It was just enough for me as far as like, man, I can't I gotta watch the next episode now. I gotta watch the next episode now because I have to figure out what's going on.
Speaker 3: So it's got you know, a big it's actually for uh.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize this untill after watching it, but Ben Stiller was a big part of the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Like he's he's an executive producer.
Speaker 2: He's not in it, but he's an executive producer and along with Adam Scott, and it's great, but Adam Scott's the main character.
Speaker 3: Adam Scott's great, he's he's really good.
Speaker 2: And then there were some other character like Patricia arqatt is in it, which I thought was kind of random. Christopher Walken has a good role in it, and it's just right up. His alley fits him pretty well, and then John Taturo, who I honestly just think of. I mean, when I think of John Totura, I think of mister Deed's. But I know he's also done a lot of other stuff and been very popular, so he's in it, so I cannot recommend that showing up again. I think season two is coming out in January, and I'm probably gonna finish it whenever I can. Meeting they'll probably give me four episodes and then I'll wait and then they'll give me the next four the next week or something like that.
Speaker 3: If they do weekly, I will probably try to wait.
Speaker 2: And that way I can binge through it. I can do the four at a time and then wait for the other four to come out, like next week. But when they do it, they'll give you three, and then from then on then until they get to eight.
Speaker 3: It's week by week. I just let it build because.
Speaker 2: There's shows that I don't think I would I would watch that I loved if I couldn't binge them, you know what I mean, Like, I don't know if I'm gonna if I can do the you know, if I can commit the time, you know, because I don't know. I don't know if I'll be willing to see if there's a payoff and wait, you know two months in to finish the whole thing. Yeah, what was your what was your top show that you streamed? There was or it didn't have to be streaming.
Speaker 4: I guess, well, I got into I'm a big I'm a big Marvel fan, so I like the The Agatha All Along series on Disney was really really okay. I thought that that was really good. That came out around Halloween time.
Speaker 3: Catherine Han great.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Katherine Hannah is great. At one point she's kind of naked and oh wow, wouldn't have expected that, but I you know, it's where Disney's at nowadays. Probly would Aubrey Plaza she's in it, she would, Yeah, totally would they. Also, it's kind of like a playoff of WandaVision, which is one of my favorite I remember. It's a great show. It's kind of a playoff that. And another one is it was on Apple TV. It's called Dark Matter. Jennifer Connelly is in it. I forget the other I forget the other top stars that was.
Speaker 5: That was pretty good.
Speaker 3: I remember seeing Joel Edgerson.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's actually a really good one.
Speaker 4: It's like a parallel sci fi, like a parallel universe type of thriller like that. It was really really good. The guy like ends up abducting himself. He kind of lives a life where he's like not really involved in his child's life. And and then like if he he just wanted to follow his dreams, he could have had like this multi million dollar idea he was a scientist, but he just wanted to stay a family man instead and ended up kind of getting abducted by a parallel universe of himself and takes them to a universe to where he did have that invention and he was the man and he is one of the most notified man's on Earth. And I really like that show. So I'd have to I'd have to chalk it up to one of those two. That one's really hard because it's also one of those ones where they they drop an episode every weekend, and we just found ourselves with those two series just waiting for the next episode to drop and hang around the TV for that. But you know, my Marvel fan, the probably wants to go to Agatha all along.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I think you know when it comes to Marvel and just that that kind of stuff. Like clearly, I feel like I'm in the minority because most people, I mean, those were very very popular things that people watch, whether it be movies and TV shows.
Speaker 4: Back their last big one with The Avengers End Game, because that was one of the biggest, uh the biggest films ever that topped Avatar before James Cameron wanted to come out with another one specifically so they could top Marvel. And after that, it's kind of been just like a downslide for Marvel. It's kind of been hit and miss, but they they hit really well for Agatha.
Speaker 3: All along, good stuff. All right, let's take a quick break.
Speaker 2: We'll come back, keep this thing rolling along as we continue to you know, look back on a year as it's coming to an end, and I don't know where time went, but twenty twenty five will be here soon. So get ready or not, it's happening.
Speaker 3: C you lock right here.
Speaker 2: It's Coffee and Company fuel by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine eight.
Speaker 2: That's right, This is Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety You don't forget you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the Aheart Radio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. We have been, you know, reflecting on the year that was. We still got a little bit of time left at me. It's not it's not the end of twenty twenty four just yet, but there's only you know, about a week left and then uh, then we head into twenty twenty five. And one of the things I wanted to discuss was the you know, the best sporting event that that that we attended in twenty twenty four, and uh, I don't. I mean, I have some but the one that I would I guess be propping up as the best one Austin, I feel like it's pretty lame. Okay, So there one that I mean, I feel like that's the one when I threw action and said, hey, we're gonna do this.
Speaker 3: You knew right away what you were gonna go to.
Speaker 5: I know exactly what which one is it.
Speaker 4: It's gonna it, hands down, WrestleMania forty in Philadelphia.
Speaker 5: I mean my Billy Prickett Baby Faces podcast. If you're a wrestling fan out there, but.
Speaker 4: Plug going going to uh Philadelphia and seeing WrestleMania. I went to the one last year in Hollywood. That was great, but the whole storyline surrounding everything, the final five minutes. If you're a wrestling fan, you're listening, but the last five minutes with like John Cena coming out, the Undertaker coming out, the Rock coming out, and Cody Rhoades finally ending, finishing his story and beating one of the greatest champions ever, Roman Reigns, one of my favorite wrestlers ever. It was just cure cinema, dude. It was awesome. I've never watched being a wrestling fan my whole life. I've never seen the Rock wrestle so it was really cool seeing that and just that whole story leading up to it. When he came back and they kind of turned him into a heel and he is kind of like an asshole basically if I could say that, but he was just he.
Speaker 5: Was just he was just bad.
Speaker 4: But he's well, he's now like one of the CEOs of TKO that kind of took over it kind of took over wrestling, so they kind of put him in that role. So I would have to say wrestle Mania forty and just being a part of it. Plus we were part of the press box too, so it was really cool seeing that. But it was freezing if I were remember right, it was freezing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that I should know this, But that is like when it comes to the monthly big events that you have in pay per view wrestling, like that's the biggest one, right, Like I don't feel like there's one bigger than WrestleMania.
Speaker 4: Is no, No, WrestleMania is the it's the top, it's the end of It's where all the stories culminate at the end of the year, and then you just kind of crown your champion Maine for Mania Baby. So I would have to say that that was really good.
Speaker 3: Mine would probably be.
Speaker 2: And again this is why I fel like in a year where I would say, you know, things were going pretty pretty good for me as a sports fan and like the you know, the games I go to that kind of stuff, I feel like I would be picking out one of maybe three really good Louisville basketball games that I went to that you know, against a really good team and you got a big win. But like obviously last year there was nothing yeah, meaning last season in twenty twenty four January on and then so far. I mean, I went to the Tennessee game. That was really awesome as far as just the build up, but man, it really sucked to get kind of you know.
Speaker 5: The hype around it was just funny game.
Speaker 3: The hype around that.
Speaker 2: It was a feeling that I forgot what I forgot the experience of it because it had been so long. And again they lost, so it's quickly that feeling fades pretty quickly. But yes, the hype leading up to that, man, it felt like you know, everybody it was buzzing around town about a big basketball game at the Yump Center to you know, this weekend with a big team coming to town. There was energy that I had really missed and I knew I missed it, but man, to get it back was great. But yeah, I can't say that was the best when I went to because they got killed.
Speaker 3: And then you know, I actually, this is.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna what I was gonna say is the Louisville Pittsburgh football game Austin, which was earlier this season, just like a month ago, a little over a month ago, and that was a lot of fun Louisville played really, really well. It was a night game because he kicked off later you know, I think it started me. So anyways, we had really great seats courtesy of our friends over at Ellen NFCU, and my son got up on the big screen.
Speaker 3: Louisville beats right, beat.
Speaker 2: The hell out of Pits. So, like, the weather sucked. It was cold, but we made the most of it and we had a lot of fun. So I was gonna say that, but I just remembered what I did in January of of twenty twenty four. Okay, here, so it counts. My wife and I went up and did a double We double dipped. We went to the Pacers Celtics game and then left it in like the third quarter and walked down to the Colts Texans playoff game. Oh yeah, so both of my teams lost. The Pacers got killed by the Celtics. The Colts broke my heart and you know, lost a game that you know, ended their season.
Speaker 5: And games really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So to experience an NFL playoff game, even though it was wild card and to you know, basically just be making a quick walk from a banker's life field house down to the football stadium, I mean, Lucas Oil. It was as a really cool experience.
Speaker 3: It sucks.
Speaker 5: Place is huge.
Speaker 3: Yes, it sucks to say that that.
Speaker 2: Was the best best event because you know, both my team's lost, But like being in an NBA game and being in an NFL playoff game within minutes of each other, especially in it when it's two teams that I love, the Pacers and the Colts, that was that was awesome.
Speaker 3: So I would say that best.
Speaker 4: Future NBA champions too, So I bet that was pretty cool. You could say that you saw that, you know, it's.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And I got to experience that they are in national fan base, you know what I mean, like the Celtics, and I knew they were one of the bigger brands in pro sports, certainly one of the bigger brands in basketball, of course, but they're the kind of team that if they come to town, especially a market like Indy, there'll be people that live, you know. In fact, we ran into a bunch of people, not a bunch, but like I ran into people that I knew or knew of, or I had people come and talk to me at the game that were from Louisville, and they were they were all in Celtics gear, and it's like Celtics are their team and Indy's the closest place to go watch them. So you know that was you know, you felt like you were watching a big time game even though my team wasn't great. They lost, but you know, Tatum went nuts and was unguardable, and yeah, you know, I don't I wouldn't claim to be a Tatum fan, but like I can say that I've watched him now and you know he's probably gonna end up being one of the.
Speaker 3: Best players of this era.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I would say that was my that was my best moment, and then I would imagine, you know, moving forward, like hopefully this year, there'll be some big time games in these next couple of months at the Young Center, to where when we do this a year from now, I can say, oh, whenever Pat Kelsey hosted you know, Carolina, Hubert Davis and that team and they were you know, oh, yeah, I don't know if they're gonna be ranking louisvill plays them because that GA's coming up soon in back next week.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's just usually you.
Speaker 2: Know, before Louisville basketball kind of you know, fell off in a major way really quickly in the last like you know, five years or so before that, it was an annual thing to where like I'd have to have a tough time figuring out which game was like the best experience, right, like which you know, which resume win in front of the home crowd was awesome or which.
Speaker 3: Game did I go?
Speaker 2: Which game did I go for example, like I used to go to In fact, I'm going to Pittsburgh on the eleventh, not next weekend, but the weekend after. I'm gonna go to Pittsburgh for the weekend with my dad, my son, and my nephew, and we're gonna go watch the Cards play play Pittsburgh, which should actually be it's actually a quad one game right now. But my point is I used to do that every year. We'd go to Notre Dame, I went to Duke. And then when Louisville kind of you know, went through what they went through the last few years, sure, we just stopped doing it.
Speaker 5: So Pittsburgh's a fun city.
Speaker 2: I love Pittsburgh. Yeah, Pittsburgh. You know, the winter, it's cold and a lot of people don't like that kind of weather. That's not where you want to be whenever you know, you're somebody that doesn't enjoy cold weather, but it's it's beautiful Pittsburgh to me, What would you say, Like the rep of Pittsburgh is like the reputation of it, I know, a lot of bridges because I feel like it's not very popular and like it's not like I'm not saying it should be like a destination city and be exploding like Nashville has in recent years. But like I think I've been Pittsburgh probably five six times in my life, and each time, I'm like, this place is kind of awesome.
Speaker 3: Like does anybody know about Pittsburgh, which clearly they do. It's a huge sports cit. Yeah, it's a bigger city than ours.
Speaker 2: But like, I just feel like anytime I've heard it referenced, it's like, oh, like I get why Cleveland is regarded as like nobody would want to be there, but like Pittsburgh's beautiful.
Speaker 3: I'd have to beautiful stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd have to say Cleveland's They do have the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame up there.
Speaker 5: That's pretty cool though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I guess, yeah, I guess they.
Speaker 4: I guess they have that if you like that, But there's their Stadium, Cleveland Brown State.
Speaker 5: That's a dump. That whole place is a dump.
Speaker 4: And but I guess the Browns haven't been good, so they probably don't like invest too much into that. But every time I've went to Ohio or Cleveland anytime, it's just usually always been like rainy or cloudy. It's never like a sunny day in Ohio. I don't know what that is, what what the deal with that is? Like Northeast Art, I guess you can say northeast very north because it's almost close to Michigan too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I've been.
Speaker 2: So I've got family that lives in Erie, Pennsylvania, which is I just consider that kind of like the rust Belt region up there. Sure is, And you know, I get what I get why those places kind of have the rap that they have, if you know what I'm saying. Yeah, very you know, gloomy and wet and you know, although I bet you know I've been to that area of Pennsylvania in northern Ohio Buffalo area whenever it's been during summer months, and it's that kind of beautiful. But all right, let's get back to the to the year in review. We just did our the best sporting events we attended. What would you say, and I'll just WDRB. They they did a breakdown. I guess it was on Christmas Eve. Their sports crew Tyler Greever, Tom Lane, Eric Crawford, Rick Bosch. They just reflected and briefly discussed the biggest stories in sports you know that they covered, and you know, considering what they cover being w d RB here in this market, it's obviously things that we care about around here because you know, it's louisvill Kentucky for the most part, Derby that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: And I I kind.
Speaker 2: Of feel like overall, like the biggest story itself, like wow, that happened in this year. It's something that people will remember for a long time. It's got to be Caliperry leaving Kentucky and walking away. Like that has to be because probably I think you could say the two schools hiring new coaches at the same time, but like I don't mean and that is a joint story just because of the rivalry and because you know, rarely, I mean, in a perfect world, these pro aren't making changes very often. Right in Kentucky had Caliperi for a long long time, and that had run its course, low Will of course used to be able to claim it was Denny and Rick and you know that was it. And now obviously that hasn't been the case since since Rick was outed. But I would say that just the fact that Cal was there for as long as he was.
Speaker 3: How long was it He got hired in.
Speaker 5: Like twenty twenty, twenty ten, two thousand and nine.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, that around there, So he was there for roughly thirteen seasons, thirteen fourteen seasons, and you know, got off to a great star, won a title in his first few years, and still maintained a really successful program, a great run that he had until you know, it kind of came crashing down. Yeah, and the pandemic. I feel like, really, really, you know, that's the timeline. Not to say that the pandemic caused it, but the timeline of where things started to go south for Cali, where he really couldn't fix it was right around the time that you know, the pandemic happened, because they.
Speaker 3: Had the work. The year we played basketball the first year, you know, I guess we were still going through the pandemic. They were terrible.
Speaker 2: They won eight games, and then you know that following season they bounced back and they had a really really good seed, a two seed in fact, and you know what they did. They ended up losing, you know, the national player of the year in Oscar sheet Way. They end up losing in the first round to Saint Peter's. Next year after that, they were good but underwhelming. Mean when I say they were good, they made the tournament, but they lost in the second round to a Kansas state team. And then, of course we know what happened last year. They got outed by a fourteenth seed in Oakland, and that just made it to where Cal had to move on. And you know, I don't say it's like a big story because like it was crazy and you never would have expected it. But like you know, anytime that guy walks away to take another job because it had run its course at a place like Kentucky and both probably wanted change, like that is a big story. You know, Kentucky Derby won fifty is a big story. But like it just because it was the one hundred and fiftieth Derby, Like I don't really think like there was any like that doesn't come to mind for me. But again, that is our biggest event here when it comes to sports. In this in this area, and the fact that that was the one hundred and fiftieth time that had happened that, I guess makes it, you know, pretty interesting.
Speaker 5: That was huge.
Speaker 4: I still have another one and you might have you might have just brought it up, but how can you miss it? Obviously the PGA tournament, Yes, Scotti Scheffler incident that I don't think Louisville has been on the map like that sports wise, or you're right, it's Mohammad Ali's funeral, So that got.
Speaker 2: The fact that we even hosted that was a big deal because it only happens every so often, and for it to happen we hosted. And then you know that story that's probably the biggest story nationally that that involves us. Yes, right, like that's not a local story. It is, but it's not right like, it's a story nationally, but it just so happens to be local to you because you know it's you were where it took place. Louisville was was where the Shenanigans happened. So no, you're right like I, and it's it is kind of wild how you can feel that you when you're when you are somewhere where you know, you've got there's way more eyeballs on you nationally than like normal, Like you can tell, Like unfortunately, during the Breonna.
Speaker 3: Taylor stuff, that was I mean, that was that was.
Speaker 2: You know, that wasn't a good look on Louisville in my opinion, the overall situation itself and everything that came with it. But like when Muhammad Ali passed away, like I could tell, man, Louisville will never have this much attention like they have right now. Whenever they did the celebration of life and that whole day was just unbelievable. Yeah, but I kind of think the Scottie Scheffler thing is is up there as well because it was because of you know, it was clearly the biggest story in sports, but because of what happened, it was also not just a sports story, Like it was all over the world being discussed that law enforcement in Louisville put handcuffs on him and like you know, claimed that he tried to run him over. So yeah, that's the biggest story nationally that it has. The local that you know that that was a local one here became national. But I still think overall, just things that you know are mostly considered big stories around here, I would say it would be cal moving on, and this isn't like a huge story, but it is something that like I'm happy that it happened, but because of the drought, like it is going to be a memory, I think for a long time. And that is Louisville getting the Governor's cut back. Like yeah, you know, you kind of feel like as a Louisville fan that you know, you should have never lost it for even two years, but you know you didn't beat them. You hadn't beat him since twenty seventeen, and that's the kind of drought that Louisville would have never Even Kentucky fans have to acknowledge that, like since the rivalry renewed, you know back in what like the early nineties or whenever it was, there was never a scenario during that time period where you would have seen a drought for Louisville in this series. Now, one of them is because you know, they didn't play because of the pandemic, and then the others were you know, again, it sounds like excuses, and I think it's more of an explanation than it is an excuse. But either way, if I was Kentucky and I was a fan of their football program. I would be as obnoxious as they were about the streak because it's crazy. But you know, it took place because one Bobby got fired midyear and you had Whamwam out there coaching Satterfield. Clearly we learned wasn't built for this rivalry. And you know, brom lost in his first game in a game they had no business losing.
Speaker 3: But you know what you lost.
Speaker 2: So I think when I think of twenty twenty four, like you know, and obviously it made me really happy to see Louisville beat Kentucky and football, but it also more than anything, like about damn town, we got that cutback, like that was a big moment. Like I'm so happy that it's back where it belongs, and I hope it stays where. I hope it stays where it is now for a long long time, and to be honest with you, probably will. We'll see, but I mean I wouldn't be shocked if it does, considering where the programs are heading at this time. All Right, we'll come back on the other side talk a little more about twenty twenty four of the year that was, and you know, have some fun. It's coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, it is coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety knit coffee, Austin Montgomery with you, and we appreciate you hanging out with us. I mean, I do, I don't. I assume Austin appreciate you guys hanging out. Oh of course, don't you. Oh yeah, I love our listeners what I thought, so we appreciate you together. I mean as far as like the biggest stories of twenty twenty four, I mean, I hate to I hate it. I mean, and I don't. I'm one of those people that I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't really know why like it bothers me, but it does. I wish it didn't make me feel the way that I feel. But Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce being an item like that and that being like them being the celebrity power couple like that, that that has to be one of the.
Speaker 3: Most talked about things in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: And by the way, they didn't were they publicly an item before like Christmas last year. Like I feel like it became a thing like mid like during the season last year.
Speaker 5: Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: I don't remember it being a twenty twenty three thing, but I mean it and it's still a big story today, although it's died down a little bit, right, Like you don't there doesn't see.
Speaker 5: She's still like games and stuff, but like, yeah.
Speaker 3: It just doesn't seem like it's in your face as much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank god.
Speaker 2: And I really know, I really don't know why it, you know, because it doesn't impact me in any way. It doesn't. I mean, it's just I don't know why I care. But for some reason, I really really do. Other things that are mentioned nationally. As for as far as the biggest stories in sports from twenty twenty four, Kaylen Clark, I mean her and her becoming shorty a star before we got to twenty twenty four, but twenty twenty four is obviously the year where she hit a new level, had her finished her last season in college and obviously went on to the WNBA. I mean, she was easily one of the most talked about athletes in twenty twenty four, regardless of country, regardless of sport, right, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: And then just a WNBA taking off strictly because of her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and she did something to a sport. And I know that that's some somewhat of a debatable thing with some but I mean she's had a bigger impact on women's basketball than than I think any athlete has had on any sport in a long long time. However, some people think it's not just her, it's also Angel Reese. And I mean, I'm I hope that you you know, if you want to believe that, knock yourself out. It's just not in any way true. And then I'm just trying to think of other you know, like there's things that I thought were you know, were big, but I don't really know if like it if it was a national thing, like Bill Belichick and Nick Saban both ending their run at Alabama and New England, Yeah, that was a big deal, just kind of like what we talked about with cal like anybody that had that kind of run when regardless of the circumstances. For example, I mean, obviously Saban retired, Belichick, didn't you know Belichick, they just parted ways, and now I think it's pretty clear they wanted him gone more than he wanted to be gone.
Speaker 3: But that's a big deal.
Speaker 2: And I'm looking here at a CBS list, and no doubt, Scotti Scheffler's whole year of twenty twenty four was wild and one of the I mean, in fact, the wildest thing. I mean, it was certainly successful for him in twenty twenty four, but the most talked about thing for Scotty Schefler this past year was easily when he had his run in with the LMPD here in town.
Speaker 3: What else is.
Speaker 2: I mean, Michigan win a title for the first time in a long time like that, that did kind of seem like a big deal because they hadn't want it in a while, But I don't. I mean, it's also a program that like in the end, at the end of the day, can you really can you really claim that you're that surprise they wanted it's Michigan and they already had many titles before that. It'd be different if it was like a I will say this, then the next time we get a first time ever national champion in football. I would imagine by the end of the year, that'll be something that because I don't know, people realize how long it's been since the last time somebody won a title for the first time. I mean it was when Spurrier was in Gainesville. I mean that was a long time ago.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then this is a story that I hated that it was as big of a story. But it was a big story. It was in your face and it's not something you will ever probably see again. That is Lebron James and his son Brony being teammates.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, you know that. That that's that's forget.
Speaker 2: I mean, that would have never came to mind for me because I just I you know, I don't I don't care for It's not something I'm interested in, and you know, it seems like a manufactured thing more than anything, right, Like, it would be a totally different feeling if this happened, and it wasn't, because like Lebron is Lebron and can really do anything he wants, and you know, and if if I was him in his position, maybe I do the same thing. I don't know, But yeah, that that was not something that I've also.
Speaker 5: Had the Olympics too, that happened.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of fun things that came from there, the whole the whole ray gun, the breakdancing controversy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anytime you have the Olympics, that's a big deal. There's a lot that comes.
Speaker 4: Finally getting a loaded team again, because last year they rolled out like a bunch of bombs and they just finally got like the best in the world back together and just completely ran over everybody.
Speaker 2: So I see people mentioning on their list of these, you know, biggest stories in sports. I see people mentioning the Mike Tyson Jake Paul fight, and I that's true, that was such a big deal. But to me, that just I don't know, Like, I guess technically it's a story and a big one, but to me, it just felt, I don't know, it felt kind of like we were all like, to me, that wasn't a story that was original. I feel like that was that was a whole thing that was manufactured and built up. But regardless, if we're just talking about stories that that got the most attention in sports over the last year, that's certainly one of them, and it was for a variety of reasons. One just the whole thing, like, wow, are we doing this like Mike Tyson at his age is going to get in the ring with this guy who we're not really sure how good of a boxer he is or if he's a real boxer. And then of course Tyson had that health episode where they had to postpone it. Yeah, so it played out throughout a long stretch of twenty twenty four, and then of course it was Netflix going live, and we all know that a lot of people were very upset at Netflix that night because they weren't able to carry the uh you know, they weren't able to carry it effectively.
Speaker 3: For a lot of people.
Speaker 5: It was Tyson cheeks were fun to talk about.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was that was something so yeah, I guess yeah. I mean hard to imagine something real big happening in these next few days before we end the year. But twenty twenty four was a was a good one all right. And again for those missing, we did talk about the locals, so it feels like Pat Kelsey getting hired was certainly a big local story around here and how he was, you know, guy who kind of won the fan base over just by talking and showing his personality and that kind of stuff. So you know, I don't want people to tune in late there and think we didn't acknowledge the big stories around here, because we did.
Speaker 3: And if you missed it, you can go back and check it out on the podcast.
Speaker 2: All Right, it's Coffee and Company. We are feel about Thorntons right here on Sportsbox seven ninety