Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio. At we do have a massive fire incident in the Palisades right now. They say, this beast started at about ten acres. That was the quickest estimate you could get already at ten acres, but with the potential to spread to two hundred acres within twenty minutes. And this thing is living up to its potential, they say right now.
Speaker 2: The crews on the ground.
Speaker 1: Are furiously engaged in structure protection. They say that the fire is going to impact structures in the Floresta Place area in about ten minutes, ten minutes away from hitting these neighborhoods. If you look at a map of the Palisades, that Floresta Street backs up right there to that Temescul Ridge area, the point where this fire is burning. This is one of those ones that it is just moving too fast to be able to have any real impact on this thing right away.
Speaker 3: The smoke itself is just basically going down the mountain, down the hill towards the ocean. That's clearly the direction that these winds are coming from, and that means, like you said, it is headed towards those neighborhood as as after it burns through this wildland. The images that we are seeing a lot of them are from people, I mean they're posting them on social media, but they're down ten, like at the ten and the four or five, and you could see this plume of smoke that far down along the west side there.
Speaker 1: They did request two air tankers to be deployed to the area, which have arrived. I was wondering what the capability of La County fire firefighting aircraft would be with winds like this forty to sixty miles per hour GUS at this moment. The Super Scoopers, I didn't know we still had the lease in January to the Super Scoopers out of Quebec, but we do. And the Super Scoopers can fly in wind they can scoop water while flying into headwinds up to forty five miles per hour, and the pilots there, also on loan from Canada, can adjust their approach to handle different different varying wind speeds and gusts and wave heights on the water source. These are the special machines that we get for fires like this when we have this wildland interface with homes that we have so often here in southern California. These babies can fly and wind so they can reach locations quickly, repeatedly drop water and flames in the gusts, unlike a lot of firefighting aircraft that we have year round here in southern California.
Speaker 3: Again, this fire looks like is just south of Temescal Peak as sort of the Topega State Park area and is burning down into the Palisades along Palisades Drive and Kaye Victoria was where they first reported the first flames just near Goat Peak if you know that is, and it's headed down towards the Palisades. There are a lot of images is from cameras, whether they're helicopter cameras from TV stations farther away, or some of the alert net cameras that were put up by UC San Diego over the course of the last several years, that show very active flames going right up to those homes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these are not that it matters. A home is a home.
Speaker 1: It could be a hovel, it could be a six million dollar mansion, and that's what they are about.
Speaker 2: Six million dollar mansions to say the least, and looking.
Speaker 1: At the forecast here, we've got fifty mile per hour winds kicking in soon.
Speaker 3: I was just checking the weather stations in that area, and that's the basic thirty to forty mile an hour sustained winds, and then gusts could be higher than that here. And again it's at least twenty This is just going too fast for anybody to get a good read on how much it is at least twenty acres.
Speaker 1: They don't have time because their hands are full with structure protection at this point.
Speaker 3: At this point, also on social media at least or make and the phone calls in the newsroom. We do not have word of the official evacuation it UH parameters yet. But if you're in that neighborhood, like you said, along that that specific street, the forresta floresta place and via Floresta, et cetera, if you're in that neighborhood bien Venita Avenue, you know already.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you clearly are aware of this.
Speaker 3: It's it's not time to joke around. It's not time to wait for instructions. Get yourself to safety.
Speaker 1: That sunset fire, they say, according to all these scanners and the uh in the information coming out of there, the messaging has kind of been we've got this. The crews on the scene can handle it because they know what's happening in the Palisades.
Speaker 2: It's not that far away.
Speaker 1: When you look at the sunset fire to the Palisades fire, same kind of area there, and uh, that's how that's how bad the Palisade situation is. The guy it suns that are like, you know, what we'll do with what we have here.
Speaker 3: We'll see a little bit later the afternoon, probably exactly this fire again at least twenty acres several hundred homes are now going to be threatened by this fire in the Pacific Palisades. It started up in the mountains in the hills there and is coming down towards the ocean, towards that floresta place neighborhood. Ridgeview Country estates all along that the viewpoint there at the Tamescal Ridge trail that's up there. A couple of different trailheads obviously in that area the viewpoint, the Temiscal Ridge trailhead, Almetio trailhead, and the Rivas Canyon trailhead. So if you're an avid hiker, you may recognize some of those some of those names for the trails in that area where this thing is just chewing through some of this the wildland.
Speaker 1: This is going to be an all day slash day's event because as we talked to the National Weather Service, we talked to Henry de Carlo, these aren't winds for this morning. These are winds that may die down a little bit this afternoon, kick back up this evening, and last for days this week here in southern California.
Speaker 2: So all hands on deck.
Speaker 1: As you mentioned earlier, there are several agencies fire agencies from northern California that have made their way down here to get ready for this. The fire crews were in position for this event. But when you get a fire like this burning with ample fuel, you've got winds exceeding, like you said, forty miles per hour up to sixty and then the gusts are even higher. Right now, it's get everybody out, protect the homes, and then we'll assess where we're at in terms of how big this thing got how quickly, because we just don't know at this point, but if the pictures are in any indication, this thing took off the way that it was predicted to from ten acres to two hundred and the matter of twenty minutes. And now you're seeing, you know, it's just dangerously if not in neighborhoods.
Speaker 3: Down there at the bottom of the hill, closer to the water, that intersection of Sunset and Lost Leonis Drive, there's a couple dozen fire trucks that are trying to make their way up the hill.
Speaker 1: That's the staging area leones In twenty three. That's where they're going to stage. That's where they're going to stage. Okay, well then that makes sense.
Speaker 3: But I was going to say, there are people that do not look like they're getting out of the way of these fires.
Speaker 4: Front.
Speaker 1: No, that's where they're staging, and that's where they will dispatch all of the different resources. All of the incident commanders will meet there and they'll bring out their maps and they will dispatch all of the different crews, hand crews, ground crews, line crews, and the air attack as well will be probably mapped out there at that point.
Speaker 3: And again, I mean, this is one of those this is one of those frustrating situations where there's I mean, there's plenty of neighborhood streets to get out of there, but you're going to have to plan now on moving. Do not wait for them to let you know that this is your areas under evacuation because right now, as we've said, they're having a hard time just keeping a guess on how large this fire is at least twenty acres, but you can guarantee just by the visuals that it's well over that by now. Don't want to make any sort of guess because it would be uneducated on my part to do so, but it's well over twenty acres.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you that we are on top of this fire coming called the Palisades fire because it is in the Palisades and it looks like it is gobbling up part of the Palisades. It quickly took off from ten acres to it was perceived that it would go to two hundred acres within twenty minutes. There are several resources structure protection crews on the scene. Specifically, we heard from the Floresta Place neighborhood where it is happening right now, where the fire is supposed to hit add about right now. The latest is that they're seeing spotting ahead of this thing a mile to three quarters of a mile out, which was the absolute fear when you're thinking about the winds and the gusts that are coming with this wind event that'll take a fire and carry it and keep carrying it.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's well. I mean, there's a couple thousand homes well within that range at the front end of that fire.
Speaker 2: And you see the smoke.
Speaker 1: It's not just white, it's that black smoke, which means it's burning through fuel.
Speaker 3: There are two at least four helicopters that I saw, at least two Super Scoopers that are flying and are trying to get some structure protection in that area.
Speaker 1: Caesar works at Sunset Smash and joins us. Now Caesar crazy over there right now.
Speaker 5: I bet it is very concerning at this point because there's black smoke. It seems like there's still in the area, and everyone out of here is just concern about what was going on. Taking picture videos. We just saw two airplanes coming by, like I think they're trying to like spray you know, the the fire to try to put it down, but it's just increasing every minut They just get it fire. And why are you gonna know what we're gonna do?
Speaker 3: Are you fully in the smoke right now or is it still we We're very.
Speaker 5: Close by right now, We're very close. It's coming this way.
Speaker 4: Actually the wings are going in that direction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can hear it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right there, off to Mescal Canyon Road where just above you this thing started to take off. Are there people in your in your business? Are people taking off? What are you seeing? No?
Speaker 5: Right, No, Most of our customers, like when they saw it, like people we start calling it time with their friends. And most of our friends are living within the area.
Speaker 2: So what are you guys going to do? You think?
Speaker 5: Well, at this point right now, we're hoping it was going to be put out like week or I mean, at least being able to see that it was. It was being reduced. But it's growing, uh too fast. So I think we're gonna have to hopefully shut down and just you know, try to avoil the traffic, trying to leave the streets open for the fire department to work.
Speaker 2: That's the right thing to do.
Speaker 3: Caesar, Caesar, thank you for your time. Stay safe out there.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: You met Caesar's working at Sunset smashed there in the Palisades and talked about some of that smoke that you can. I mean you could hear the wind through his phone there. The images are not good and they're not getting any better. This is a fire that started just about maybe a little less than an hour ago in that summit area and the Pacific Palisades, just in those hills there next to goat peak and making its way down the hill towards all those homes, the Ridgeview Country Estates and along those the Bi and Venita Avenue via Floresta and Floresta Place. Those are the homes and the streets that are the most threatened right now.
Speaker 6: And I mean even with.
Speaker 3: The obscured view through the smoke, you can still see plenty of active flames in that area. You mentioned that they have a staging area for all of these different fire agencies that are coming in policies. Drive in sunset there right there as you get into Pacific Palisades, and I mean there are dozens of fire trucks and some of them aren't going anywhere as of yet. And I don't know if it's a traffic issue or they're just waiting to be tech.
Speaker 2: They're just waiting to be dispatched.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean La County Fire, you're not going to find better organizational capabilities in terms of dispatching crews where they need to go. The challenge I would imagine with a fire moving this quickly is as soon as you want to dispatch a crew to one specific area, it has shifted.
Speaker 2: To another area being more of a priority.
Speaker 1: So it is and as I mentioned, it is spotting a half mile to three quarters of a mile away from where this fire erupted and where it's moving. So that is an indication that the embers are being driven by the winds and they're starting spot fire. That is a freaking nightmare. When you've got a beast of a fire like this burning with that much fuel, vegetation and homes that service fuel, and then you've got spot fires everywhere, not everywhere, but in a number of places. You've got to give everything your attention, and there's only so much attention to give. Despite the fact that we had crews coming from other agencies to get ready for this wind event that has been forecast for a while. That was the good thing, I guess, is that we knew we had people in place, but like we were talking to the National Weather Service Henry to Carlo earlier, and it just didn't seem like this was one of those Oh, it's going to be cold out today, or it's going to be windy, or it's a Santa Ana. This seemed like it was going to be a major deal when it came to the fire risk in January. In January, National Weather Service says, usually we get rain in October through this time of year to kind of help us combat this.
Speaker 2: We did not.
Speaker 6: We didn't.
Speaker 3: We had I think it was from May to December thirty. First, it was the second driest time period that we've seen since we've started keeping records here in La at least in downtown La. Again, this fire that's burning in the Palisades making its way towards the homes as you get farther down, and if the spotting was correct, I mean, if that distance is correct, there are hundreds, if not a couple of thousand homes that are very at extreme risk right now. That as some of these embers could get in someone's eaves, into their backyard, into their trees or whatever and cause some huge problems in some of those neighborhoods.
Speaker 2: All Right, we will stay on top of this.
Speaker 1: According to La Fire, the last update from an overhead copter is two hundred acres will be sure to grow. That was the estimate. That's what they said. What happened, that this thing would take off with a vengeance and it has.
Speaker 2: Keep it here.
Speaker 1: They told us it was going to be destructive, life throughout threatening and it has not disappointed unfortunately. Like we were told by the meteorologists we've spoken to so far on the show, the winds on this Santa Ana event are coming from the north and from the east, and because of that what we saw are rupped near Ta Mescal Canyon there in the Palisades.
Speaker 2: Has now moved west.
Speaker 1: The eastward northeast winds, i should say, have pushed this thing now into the Summit park area.
Speaker 2: So it's right now.
Speaker 1: It's pushing against that Chastain Parkway, Kaye Brittany area, threatening the entire Summit area of the Palisades.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very close to where it actually started. Now, the as you mentioned, the wind blowing it to the south end sort of to the west, means that it's just making a dead hit. It could on a different neighborhoods there in the Palisades. It's at about two hundred acres is what the what we're getting from dispatch tapes, from dispatch traffic that's going out there. There are firefighting aircraft in the air, but they I mean they can't. They're going to have a struggle regardless of what's going on wind wise, because of the quickness with which this fire is growing.
Speaker 1: It's forty to sixty mile per hour winds right now. Those are the sustained winds you're going to guss obviously higher. We heard that there was going to be a little bit of a lull this afternoon. We're not there yet, obviously, and then in the evening they're going to pick back up again, so there may be a bit of a sweet spot where they can get in. Like you said, there do have at least four firefighting aircraft from the sky attacking this thing. It is all hands on tech on the ground. I'm not sure if they've been able to get hand crews in there yet. We do know that there have been power There have been power services cut in the Palisades and in Malibu as well. PCH eastbound is closed to Panga Canyon Boulevard due to this. They want to be able to open up all those arteries for as many engines as possible.
Speaker 2: So we were talking to.
Speaker 1: Caesar from Sunset Smash Burger Joint there and he said, we may just leave to keep the roads open, and that should be the mindset for everybody. It is going to be devastation there when you look at how quickly this thing was able to take off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been about an hour that we first heard about this fire, and I'm kind of surprised that we haven't had any official evacuation orders or warnings from people. But it's this maybe indicative of just how quickly this thing is going. They don't have time to put out an evacuation actly. It's upon you now at this point to make a judgment as to whether to get out. But I got to tell you, it seems like the needle would be pointing towards you know, go protect yourself. You can go back later. The red flag parking restrictions, of course, have been up throughout We knew that they were going to be posted starting this morning because of the red flag warnings that we were going to see. I mean those areas that have very high fire hazard severity zones, you know where those are, the montain and the mountains. Your car was going to be towed if you were parked in those areas. This is one of those areas that does have some red flag parking restrictions, and it is just in case of an incident like this where you've got to have the fire apparatus get up into these neighborhoods and have as much space available to get through there because.
Speaker 6: They know that there will be people leaving going the other way.
Speaker 1: The pictures of this with the massive plume of white and black smoke with a heavy runway, I mean, this thing starts in the hills and already the plume has made it out miles towards the ocean. There will be held up because of the juxtaposition of the homes and the blue sky and the fire. As just the case in point for the fight against wildland urban interface, right, this is why you don't build homes in area is like this. Well that's southern California for you, isn't it. So we have now two hundred acres at this point, but that was just like the last helicopter that was able to go overhead of this thing, and that was moments ago. They say that the gusts right now in excess of forty five miles per hour in that fire zone, and it is spotting.
Speaker 2: It is spotting. You knew that was going to happen with the.
Speaker 1: Potential for those gusts to carry the embers in other locations. So you can see that active flame in several different spots, and unfortunately it is near several different neighborhoods. So you know, you've got to use those resources. Got to be a freaking genius, a fire genius out there to know exactly where the priority spots are. When you think about this, where the fire erupted from, where it's headed, how many flanks are there to that fire, and then where the spot fire is headed, and did they have fuel?
Speaker 2: Are the and neighborhoods, yeah, there's spotfires.
Speaker 3: I think are the things that concern me the most, just in terms of how out of control this thing could get. If this stays in the wild land, If this stays in the hills in the brush, that's one thing it has not, But if it gets into those neighborhoods and and continues to you know, bounce house to house, block to block, then you're talking about the potential for a much more serious threat to life and limb.
Speaker 2: Then we're yeah, and we're not even at that point yet, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, like there's there's times when we've had wildfires. I want to say, like your Belinda is when I remember where there wasn't a lot of wind and you just saw that there was a potential for those embers to get into the eaves of homes or whatever and then to travel. This thing doesn't need the eaves of homes. No, this thing will just they don't. They don't need to get creative. The embers don't because the winds are so bad. Elvis take them all on their own. Carry that ball down down the down the hill there and just looking at video near the top of Bien Venita, I mean it's right up against that neighborhood and that's a spot fire.
Speaker 2: This fire is visible all up and down the west side.
Speaker 3: I mean there have been pictures that have been posted on social media from as far away as Lax and parts south of there where you could see this plume of smoke making its way out over the ocean. And again it is because the wind is coming from the north and the east that it's blowing at that direction. The earlier from where the active flame is the smoke doesn't really have a chance to go very high before it's blown completely horizontally. Do not wait for this to get out of the way of it. Do not wait for orders to get out of the way, because they are simply not going to have the opportunity. They're busy fighting the fire and not going to be able to go through necessarily and get individual neighborhood and street names on there. You mentioned PCH was closed eastbound at Topanga. It's closed westbound apparently at Mullhu. So getting into Palisades rightfully so is off limits.
Speaker 6: Do not go there.
Speaker 3: But if you are in the Palisades, those are opportunities for you to get out while you can.
Speaker 1: It is a worst case scenario for the Palisades, near worst case scenario. And when you look at fifty five mile an hour WINS, you've got the flanks of this fire and spot fires going into multiple neighborhoods. I did see that evacuation orders have just been issued. I'm trying to find out specifically where, but I would say all of the Palisades, get the hell out of there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no no reason to wait around for this now. And again it's because, among other things, it gives the fire cruise the ability to operate without you in the way, and it's easier for them to do.
Speaker 6: All of this.
Speaker 3: President Biden is in southern California today, but apparently a trip to the Inland Empire has been anseled, so we'll see what exactly.
Speaker 6: What that is about.
Speaker 3: I don't know why he would necessarily go on the other way, but anyway, we'll keep an eye on that pch again closed between Topanga Canyon and Mulholland because of this two hundred plus acre fire that's burning in the Pacific Palisades. The winds in that area sustained thirty forty miles an hour, and we've seen gusts as high as sixty in some places.
Speaker 1: It looks like right now, if you know the area, like we said, burning westward near that highlands community with Rustic Canyon to the east to Panga Canyon to the west, all under evacuation warning.
Speaker 3: Okay, must be from a different fire. Okay, I was looking at smoke over this Supulvita Pass, but I believe that's from the Sunset fire. Yeah, that would be that, all right, So we'll keep an eye on this again. A two hundred plus acre fire burning in the Pacific Palisades in what we knew was going to be a very dangerous time, and it unfortunately is coming true. So we'll keep an eye see if we can get some more information about the evacuation orders that we are expecting, if they haven't already been issued, and where where we can get you to safety.
Speaker 1: All Right, the latest we know about this fast moving fire in Palisades that's quickly made its way in to neighborhoods from the top of the mountains there.
Speaker 2: The latest is gridlock, gridlock.
Speaker 1: On sunset on Palisades Drive, people driving down both sides of the road. Crews unable to make it up to Palisades Drive. They say all four lanes are blocked. That there is true panic right now, getting the hell out.
Speaker 6: Of there, and I'm already starting to see.
Speaker 3: Said that one of the big deals was going to be spotting where the embers from the current burn are blown ahead of the fire based on the wind.
Speaker 2: Actually I lost count.
Speaker 3: There are some of these neighborhoods you can see right there on that picture where the active flame is behind them. But if they're starting to smoke like they're getting some of those spot fires starting up in the neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I stopped counting at five different active flame spot fires that I could see just from the overhead coverage there on NBC.
Speaker 3: And like I said, this is visible from just about everywhere down the west side. And I think one of the problems that i'd heard reported you mentioned the gridlock getting out of Palisades. It appears that most of that is headed south. So if there's an opportunity maybe for you to go north on to get out of it towards the Malibu area and make your way up towards Camerrillo and Oxnard and things like that, that may be the better way to go, depending on how it looks. This is something, unfortunately, that everybody was warning about, and there was a sense of this morning, are we hitting.
Speaker 6: It a little too hard?
Speaker 3: We spent it too much time on what was going to be this wind event that we've had wind events before.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, we're the first to call bs when we think the media coverage is overblown with the polar vortex and the atmospheric river and the what.
Speaker 2: Was the recent one Arctic.
Speaker 1: Outbreak, When we're like, oh, it's winter, all right, Yeah, it's fire season.
Speaker 2: This isn't fire season.
Speaker 1: This is like Henry de Carlo was telling us earlier, this is like the recipe for disaster. Yes, it's January, but we haven't had rain, which we usually start getting in October.
Speaker 2: We've seen none.
Speaker 1: You've got these dry temperatures, plenty of fuel, and then this massive Santa Ana wind event with these mountain waves of wind blowing down, smacking in to the surface area there where the homes are, and that's what you're getting. Sure, this thing started in the mountains, but those mountain waves that they warned us about coming from the north are just carrying this baby smack right down into the neighborhoods. And because of the wind gusts, that's what you're seeing. All these spotfires just kind of branch out like ugly little what would you want to get tentacles.
Speaker 3: Again, we haven't gotten official word on specific evacuation orders. We know that they were requested for this fire all the way down to Pch through the Palisades down to the water line basically, but the exact parameters haven't been stated as of yet. And this is why we've been saying, do not wait for those specific parameters.
Speaker 6: If you're there.
Speaker 3: If you can see the smoke, if you can see the fire, if you can see the helicopters and the airplanes in the air, this is your opportunity to get out. Yes, it appears that there is traffic getting out of the Palisades, but it is better to be in on your way out than to wait for this. I mean, just an absolute nightmare for some of the some of the fire crews in there, because clearly getting into these neighborhoods, even if you kind of mentioned this before, even if you're at the scene of one fire or a house that's on fire or a house that's threatened by fire, in a couple of seconds, that fire is going to jump over you, the ember is going to light something else on it, and there's.
Speaker 1: No time time for the structure protection units to get to your neighborhood. There's just no time when it's moving this quickly. So if you're usually waiting on somebody to come knock on the door, that's not going to be the case with this situation. There's just not time enough for them to get to your neighborhood. Probably in some cases.
Speaker 3: The images from as far away as Santa Monica are pretty amazing the amount of smoke that this thing has generated. It's already showing up on weather radar. We've seen that at least the two super Scoopers, those the yellow planes that can scoop up the water while the flying and then go put it where they need to, are joined by several helicopters that have taken off. There was another LA fire had posted from the Van Ey's airport. The view of this fire from over the hill. They knew that they were scrambling their aircraft to get into the air to do this extreme extreme fire and wind risk. Today, it's only going to get worse. As Henry de Carlo said, as we get later into this.
Speaker 1: Evening, mandatory evacuation orders should just be understood that they're happening again. The information coming out of here because they're so swamped, is slow, But if you're anywhere in the Palisades, just get the hell out of there.
Speaker 3: There are a couple people who have taken to live streaming what's going on at their house specifically, and this fire is definitely into people's backyards and oh yeah, I mean the structures are next. If I haven't seen any homes, I haven't seen any images of homes on fire, but it almost seems like it's in an inevitability at this point because of how fast this thing is moving. There is again, Yeah, got it, he's on right now. Great, let's go live. We're gonna get some information from people who are in the area right now. And Quentin Fleming from the Pacific Palisades Community Council is joining us.
Speaker 6: Quentin, thanks for taking time for us. We know you're busy.
Speaker 4: H Thank you, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: What is going on? What is a What do you know about what's going on in the hills above you?
Speaker 4: Well, we've got You've got an active firefight going on in the hills above above us. I was up on the roof a few minutes ago and you can see the fire line along the top of the ridge. From what I understand, the fire started in the Palisades Highlands area, which is a separate, a distinct neighborhood in the in Pacific Palisades, and it appears to be moving spreading a downwind which would be in a southerly direction.
Speaker 2: So where are you abouts? Are you in the are you.
Speaker 4: Below neighborhood of I'm off to the side of the fire for now. I'm in the vicinity of Pacific Coast Highway and Timescal Canyon. It's probably the best, the best located or Sunset and Timescal Canyon.
Speaker 1: We've heard of just gridlock Sunset Palisades Drive everywhere, people just panicing, get the hell out out.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's that's that's been a worry we've had for for quite a while that if, if, if the time comes. The roads tend to be narrow and they don't have a lot of capacity for for vehicles. So if everyone has to evacuate at once, Uh, it can it can potentially create gridlock?
Speaker 1: Now is there I don't know the area well enough. Is there more than the one or two main arteries off the top down to down to the flatlands?
Speaker 4: Uh, Palisades Palisades Drive is the primary artery? Is it?
Speaker 2: Go ahead? I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: It's a it's a two lanes each direction, uh, or thoroughfare. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And again we heard that all four lanes were being used for people to get out of there, or that people to get on their own volition just to use the the lanes going up to go down. Has this been a conversation locally about when when this happens if another artery is needed. Has that been like a topic of conversation as we see these fires get more explosive.
Speaker 4: Yes, the community council has addressed this several times over the years. And excuse me, I'm getting a beefing in my ear.
Speaker 3: Take it that whatever you need to do, check it out.
Speaker 4: Okay, there we go. Sorry, yeah, it's a it's a it was an emergency text alert that just came through.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well we'll let you get off the phone, get out safely.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, thank you, thank you for the good work you do.
Speaker 1: Of course, so you know that that's an interesting thing because you and I covered the Paradise fire, and this is where we saw the same thing happened, where even when we were up there at school, it was a conversation in the community of we've only got one way in and one way out. Yes, it's this beautiful cut off area, and that's what makes it so appealing, you know, you think about Palace Verdes as well, kind of cut off.
Speaker 2: It's what makes it so appealing.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, if the worst happens, we are screwed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no I mean that was the kind of thing, and there there is a way. If Paradise was the example, that you could go farther into the mountains, you get up towards the Megalia and like Forest Ranch and things like that, but that was also in danger.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: In this case, there's not even a good Once you get up Palisades drive into the summit.
Speaker 2: Area, there's no way to get out, no way to get out.
Speaker 6: The other way.
Speaker 1: You have to just go down that main thoroughfare. And I mean, if everyone's trying to get out at once.
Speaker 2: Holy hell.
Speaker 3: We were talking with Quentin Fleming, a Pacific Palisades Community Council vice president there, and that's we had to let him go. Obviously he had more important things to do because he was getting emergency text messages while he was talking to us. Again, they're they're at this point not talking about specifics when it comes to evacuation orders.
Speaker 6: But the better thing to think about is just not waiting for.
Speaker 1: Those well, I say, zone ten, zone eight, nine ten, whatever that means. That's according to all of the dispatch stuff. Evacuate now has been the call essentially anything between the fire and the ocean and the Palisides Palisades area, Get the hell out of there. That's essentially those three zones. From what the map that I'm rating looks like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the area maps they have them available on their website, it looks like so. But there should be no question. Stay or Go's not a thing to mess around with. Again, we will continue to keep an eye on this fire at two hundred plus acres burning in the Pacific Palisades area. It has been spotting into neighborhoods, into homes and people's backyards, and the expectation is that we are going to see some of these homes to go up in flames here.
Speaker 2: If not already, we're on top of it right here on Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 6: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.