Speaker 1: You wouldn't believe it. The after Dark feed has returned. Still in the darkness, it lives, It lives in the dark and in this case, the fog. Because this is a very special episode we are talking this is okay, I need to get this out that you might know this from the title, but I need to make it clear. This is a spoiler cast about Silent Hill f Meaning if you do not want to be spoiled on things, go elsewhere, turn this off, turn this off, come back, and then find your way through the fog once you complete the lost and Fog difficulty on combat and puzzle in Silent Hill f and then you'll.
Speaker 2: Know what Bill I feel like.
Speaker 3: It's also important to like preface this with even if you have.
Speaker 2: Rolled credits once, be ready.
Speaker 3: We are going to talk about stuff that happens in New Game Plus because it's substantially different. So if you do want to have that experience preserved, also, maybe come back and listen after you played a couple of times.
Speaker 1: An apt piece of input from Jessica Cogswell, who's joining us on the special podcast, who is also the reviewer of Solent f Hello.
Speaker 2: Jessica, Hi, I'm so happy to be here.
Speaker 1: I'm also joined right next to me to with a Lucy James.
Speaker 4: Hello, Hello, should say it like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Uh And yes Toess's point, just because you roll credits on Salent Hill f does not mean you have completed the story. H And trust me, I have been people have seen me in the office, and I'm sure Jessica has felt this too. Even from Afar, I have been a bottled up piece of anxiety and energy and wanting to talk about this game, but also not wanting to talk about it, and like I am, so this is gonna be one of the most cathartic days of my life. Oh to be able to talk about this game, but also specifically here Jessica talk about it because her and I have been been We've been chatting.
Speaker 4: Oh you've had black threads.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I have to say.
Speaker 3: So one thing that I love I mean, I love many things about you, Kurt, but one thing I really love about you is in this I guess to be transparent with Like, so I saw I saw some games recently at a showcase, and I went to Kurt and I was like, I had okay time, but nothing really blew me away, And Kurt was just like welcome to kind of my experience in the industry. I have similar feelings where like I like a lot of stuff, but it takes something that's like really special to kind of stand out for me. And it's been so cool playing this game and talking to Kurt about it because I can tell that it's something special to.
Speaker 2: You, because you've been like so a buzz.
Speaker 3: About it and just like talking talking like theories and like, oh, I got to show you this clip. I got it, and it's it's been so lovely to see you kind.
Speaker 1: Of light up about it, actually see me enthusiastic about something for.
Speaker 4: Once, to see enthusiastic about a game that's not but I hid an object puzzle kind of well, it kind.
Speaker 1: Of is, I can kind of is.
Speaker 3: But I appreciate it though, Like it feels like whenever you do like something, it's very authentic and so I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well trust me, I uh, I appreciate that because I think it's okay. In our in our neck of the woods, we see a lot of things, and we see a lot of games, and there's there can be a I don't know, I don't know if I want to call it expectation, but like, it can be hard when you like, you see so many games and it's when for me it's like, I don't know. In my nature, I'm a very opinionated person for better or for word, and uh that means when something comes along that I like, I most cases absolutely love it. So when this game, every year there's at least one game, and this year for me it's Sound Hill af where I was like, but we'll get into it. I want to frame this podcast really quick before we get into the think of it because the three of us have I think, come from interesting perspectives on this specifically yes, because one I am not traditionally a Silent Hill fan. Two, this is Lucy James's first Silent Hill game, yes, and then Jess is an og Silent Hill fan.
Speaker 3: So it's so as I was just talking to somebody about this today and I want to be upfront because I don't want someone to call me out and be like, wait a second. I love Silent Hill. I am a baby about horror aams, but I love horror like I love to read horror books. I love horror movies. I love the genre. I think it's so interesting and I love horror games too, but I've always been a baby about playing them. So a lot of my experience with like Silent Hill or even like Resident Evil comes from a lot of like watching entire let's plays or.
Speaker 2: Whatever, and also like walk like in video essays and stuff like that. So I am like that kind of nerd. So this is other than two. This is the first one I played entirely, but I've watched all of them.
Speaker 4: If what makes people.
Speaker 1: Feel better, I mean, I don't know. It's uh. The one thing I'll say is I don't think any of the soilnd Hole games are fun to play.
Speaker 4: I can only go from.
Speaker 3: This one, but I mean that f is probably, from what I've seen, at least like the most fun, and even then, like I don't know, I feel like combat is not the focus of that game and fun gameplay, So it's kind of a weird gauge.
Speaker 1: I think it certainly gets more fun, Yes it does, and we'll get into that in.
Speaker 4: Which we will get into. But in terms of I think I approach the gameplay of this in a very particular way. I think I must be really annoying to watch play games, and I used to stream, so I guess people could tell me this. I check every single corner, particularly, I am obsessive, and so my first play through of Sulent Hill F I was, you know, friends of mine are kind of dropping in and out and watching me, and I was like, I'm so sorry. Is this even fun for you? Because I approach it with methodicalness and a meticulousness where it's sort of as if I'm setting pacing for myself by deliberately slowing myself down to check every single nook and cranny. And I think Silent Hill F in particular certainly rewards you with that, with the notes and even just incidental things in we'll get to that. I think, you know, deliberately slowing it down rather than you know, if I play an action game, I'll just you know, combat, run to the next bit, combat next, next.
Speaker 1: Do you have the do you have the you have the thing that I do where when a cut scene ends, I always immediately turn around. So in a game, whenever I play a game and the cut scene ends and your characters facing the direction you're supposed to go, it is my impulse to immediately turn around and see and to see.
Speaker 3: I've never thought about it, but yes, I do always do that. I feel like I was just like turn to the side because I'm like, okay, there's not like a path over this way or whatever. There's not like an item now behind me, and so like never thought about it, But yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think that's I do that instinctually.
Speaker 4: I would do it if there's a game where I'm specifically collecting things, because there's always gonna be something behind you, just as there will always be something, you know, if I go down this this little path or behind this wultifool's going to be something.
Speaker 1: There's always something behind the waterfowl. All right, Jess, you reviewed it, you gave it.
Speaker 3: A I gave it a nine. I think it's and it's one of those things too where I gave it a nine because it's not like a perfect game, you know what I mean. Like I like, you can read my review and you can kind of see the feedback that I gave it there at the same time when I put it, so I'm like a nerd. I think, okay, Lucy, Lucy will relate to this. I use notion a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I have like my own.
Speaker 3: Spreadsheet on there where I track all the games that I've played, and like I put my personal notes in like my personal review. In my personal Notion review, I give it a five out of five because I do think so I don't know. So there's the game spot review and there's the official unofficial Jessica Cogswell Notion review, which is a five out of five that.
Speaker 2: Only I can see.
Speaker 3: But I think that it's fantastic, And the biggest thing to me is it's story and its themes and the way that it handles what it's handling. Without delving too much into it right here, because I'm sure we're going to talk at length about it, I think it does it in a very masterful way, in a way that really resonated with me and felt very cathartic by the time that I kind of finished.
Speaker 1: Things on a Bashit is the way I would put it, like, I don't know. It's like there's there's plenty of media and horror movies and things that have tackled similar topics, but I don't. I can't. It's so hard for me to specifically touch on a piece of art or media that touches on all the things this game touches on, whether it's like femininity, the rights of a person, in the sixties in nineteen sixty Japan, on top of like interpersonal relationships, interpersonal dilemmas with people in your relationships, and then on top of that medication and like like how those things are like blanket problems, and on top of that, it's also just like intense body horror.
Speaker 4: And the one thing that I think is perhaps a parallel that I kept coming back to would.
Speaker 1: Be carry m mm hmm, but that's a good one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but instead of I suppose medication would be the use of religion. Yeah, and yeah, I was. I think the thing that got me about Silent Hill f is immediately when I started playing, I just kind of not that I didn't trust everything, but I over analyzed every single interaction I thought there was. For a while, I thought there was like a different kinds of abuse happening with the sister or with Hinnoco or with the father, And it was just because there are so many ways you can interpret so much of it. And that's obviously just on the first play through, and then things get recontextualized as you replay it and experience new parts of the story. But it was I was very surprised, but also at the same time just really it, like just said, it was very cathartic.
Speaker 3: It's so I'm actually curious. I have a question for both of you. Did you think that the twist was something entirely different? Because I was convinced through my first playthrough until I rolled credits and got like the police scene afterwards, I was convinced it was like a totally different thing.
Speaker 4: My theory for the for the majority of me playing it was I believed she had some kind of dissociative personality that she had manifested as a result of abuse, and that personality became the protector role, and that's where like she lost part of herself and put on the mask and she had like the different abilities and the powers in the arm, and so that was what I kept thinking in my brain.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, which is not entirely Yeah, wrong to answer your question, Jess, I feel too. I felt like I was. I was. I'm so used to playing sound hell games and knowing what they end up being that I was very deliberately just trying to I always try to experience things in the moment as they are happening. In any moment, I try, like I start to think, like maybe assume one thing. I just have to be like, well, maybe we'll find out, maybe we won't do so I always try to absorb it and just wait to the end. But as as in my nature, I was absorbing. I was looking at every single character, enemy design type and be like this, I know how Silent Hill works, I know how they conceptualize these things. I know how they think about their monsters, and I know how it's all supposed to tie into something. So if anything, I was less analytical about her interactions and more staring at the monsters themselves, being like, what are you representing? What are you trying to be?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: Gee, I wonder what the pregnant bellies wanted.
Speaker 1: I was attached to the back of a man. So one question a half for you, jess Or at least it's something I want to absolutely praise you for for being not only just an incredible writer, but an incredible The ability to talk about a piece of media so eloquently is you did that entire review without even remotely spoiling anything. And I want to one applaud you because five half of that game. I don't know why you didn't talk about, but I think it is a testament to be able to talk about a piece of media without having to specifically point and get nitty gritty about something. So I want to get your perspective on writing this review without talking about anything that happens past a certain point in Shoe's house.
Speaker 3: Gosh, I'm trying to think of how I ended up doing this review.
Speaker 2: I feel like I.
Speaker 3: Know some people and I think it depends on the game, but this game is very much a atmosphere, vibe, story driven game. So for me, it's not like I'm sitting there really collecting notes. I know some people are like religious note takers, and it's so weird because that seems very contrary to like my entire personality. But I wasn't really taking notes. I just wanted to like experience it and get lost in the fog. And when I went to write it, I think that it was just really important to because, like I said, I kind of had a whole different theory about what was going on, and then I got to the end, and in some ways it's more straightforward than I thought, but at the same time, it's very ambiguous. And I played the second time before I started writing my review, and I got to the end of that, and it kind of made me tear up a little bit, and I just really wanted to preserve that same sensation for people who would play it. And so I don't know, So I guess that's like the biggest thing is it's just kind of comes out of place of like trying to be compassionate and understand that, like I need to kind of avoid that to talk about it. And I think that sometimes my reviews or even just like my writing can be kind of flowery. But at the same time, when it comes to a game that is like Silent Hill, where it is, like I said, very atmospheric, I think that by digging into that and conveying that that is what it's trying to do, it gives people a pretty solid understanding of the game. So leaning into that was kind of the key, and just making sure that I spent my time to kind of create a little piece of this world because I think it's a really special one.
Speaker 1: I didn't ask you this, so I want to take it back. What was your take on that first play through? What did you think was happening by the end that I came.
Speaker 3: Well, it's so funny, Okay, So what I thought was happening, and sorry, this is kind of dark, but I think it is one of the trigger warnings. I thought that Quinoko maybe committed suicide, and I thought that she was kind of in like have you ever seen the movie Wrist Cutters. It was like some indie movie that came on twenty something years ago. I thought it was kind of like in a weird limbo place like that, and that's what she was going through. And I kind of like, once it started with the Hinko is Dead stuff with Rinko, I was like, maybe that's what's going on. Maybe there was just like all of this pressure and she feels abandoned by her sister. She has these problems at home, like maybe this happened, and she's kind of like deciding, not deciding, but like going through the motions of like do I want to live and what kind of life do I want to live and all of the things that adolescents kind of do go through at that time. I feel like, or at least.
Speaker 1: What you thought, Yeah, you thought, it's not doing that.
Speaker 2: It's it's not that uh, it's not actually that dark, which is you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also I also did have a similar suspicion. But again, I try to keep my theories at bay to just kind of take it as is, but that was definitely one of those like, oh, maybe this happened, or oh maybe she was killed by her father, or like oh like throwing the knife.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, And for a second I thought that maybe she killed her father, Like when that scene was happening, I'm like, maybe she picked it up and like, and I think that that's kind of a testament to the fact that, like the I don't think that the game misleads you at all, Like it doesn't intentionally try to, like it's it's definitely ambiguous at times, but it's not like trying to make you second guess or it's not trying to lead you down a path and then it's like, oh, just kidding, you know, it's not I don't know, it's not unfair in that regard or tricksy. But at the same time, I feel like there's a lot of interpretations and it did it actually genuinely surprise me at times.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about the so you brought up the carry thing, which I think is like rock solid comparison, and it's I obviously there this game is doing like when this game is first being previeuw by you, just I couldn't help it be like, all right, it's a game about being a woman, a sixteen year old woman from what we understood originally being written by a guy not and like it just was I wasn't not as familiar with his other work and it's just one of those things where was like, well, we've had a lot of media written by both men and women about being a woman, both bad cases, both good cases. And the thing is for me is like playing this game, I still had a lot like I really this game affected me deeply at times, like very specific scenes. There's stuff in the opening that game specific the very open cut scene when she's playing with the doll. Having watched that scene multiple times every time I watch it, even though it doesn't like the context of it doesn't really change all that much, but just absorbing it over and over and over again for all the playthroughs it did, it hits hard for me. I it was like there's like just heving this person be like I can't play with the boys, so therefore I'm not allowed to play with anyone until her sister's like, do you want to play with her with me, and like the excitement that that like that she feels as a darb, like really and then's a hard cut and this playing faced woman is just like it is brutal. Anyways, it's quick tangent about that, well, go ahead, something that.
Speaker 3: I really love because I want to and I wanted to talk to you about it because you know, there's not enough male representation in games. But but something that I loved about the game is that in like the second and third playthrough, we also kind of it's it's like, I think it's very very very fair to say this is a very feminist game, but at the same time it does touch on something that's part of feminism, but it's also just kind of the the roles that men are meant to have and.
Speaker 2: And and kind of like the.
Speaker 3: I don't know, just like that the lack of emotion you can have, and and something that I really love too with Fox Mask or why can I not remember his actual name right now?
Speaker 2: Codro, I can't remember the boy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but Fox Mask in like the third ending that I saw, it's the one where essentially it's like this this figure maybe his dad's kind of what interpret it as or just like familiar figure basically starts to give him shit for like you tried to woo this girl, you know, by basically treating her like a person, and like that's not.
Speaker 2: The way to go.
Speaker 3: You should just claim it, like that's the way that this is done.
Speaker 2: And you know, like you.
Speaker 3: Are kind of lesser of a man for for like being passive in this when really you should just like go for it and make her, you know. And I think that that was I didn't expect it to kind of go into that side of like toxic masculinity, and I'm really happy that it did. And I don't know, Kurt, how was it for you to kind of did you like trust me?
Speaker 1: I mean, this thing was beating a drum that I was listening through the entire time, and when that scene happened. I don't have I don't come from a generationally traditional background, like I don't come from a family who has put expectations on me to do something that is not my choice. So watching that scene, it's like I had to be sympathetic to a man, this Fox Mass character who probably felt an overwhelming amount of pressure to have to do this because that is what is expected of him, just as it is for a woman to have to marry, like for Hanako to be forced to marry this man because of a mistake and a problem that her father did. So I mean for me, it was like, I was like all aboard from the very beginning with Hanako being a person who's going to make her own choices, even if those choices are bad or it don't make sense, because you know, this is a point that the writer made where it's like, I'm going to make this character, this female character, make her own choices, whether they're good or bad. She's making her own choices, and that was the only point to make. So for me, it was like, hell, yeah, the one here, go for it.
Speaker 4: I didn't have any that I do, but the.
Speaker 1: One the before we move over to the lucy thread, the one thing I want to talk about in terms of toxic masculine or the thing you kind of started to talk about, Jess, was the expectation that men should solve problems, and I think she creating a medication to help Hanukko with her issues is in ways reflective as somebody just being like I care about you, I'm a dude, I'm going to fix that problem. For you, and in doing so he actually created mostly created a huge problem. So I think even then it's like, maybe that's a more subtle, more nuanced thing. But for me, when you talk about the expectation that a man is supposed to have in a situation, what I get is the stereotype of being like, oh, you can't reach that. I got that for you. Oh yeah, no, don't worry. It's the it's the angel cliche of the of the girlfriend or wife being like complaining about work and then the husband is like, will you do this? Will you do that? Trying to find solutions for them rather than just simply being like that sucks. I'm sorry that happened.
Speaker 2: So well, it's kind of and I'm so sorry, Lucie. I know you want to say it, but just to piggyback off of.
Speaker 3: This idea really quick, it's kind of interesting and something I didn't think of a ton as far as she like forcing himself to be in like that helper role and thinking that he's doing the right thing when he's making things worse, because it's like the reason that he gives her this medicine is because of tension. Hitts right, and like the real he's solving the symptom, right, but not the actual cause, and he's not like investing in, you know, like what's going on.
Speaker 2: In your life?
Speaker 4: Like he also comments on it. He even says like you always keep things buttoned up, you that's your problem.
Speaker 2: Partner, or like yeah, And so he's aware.
Speaker 4: Of it, but not to the state where he really digs in to find out what's up with her.
Speaker 3: Yes, and so it's like there's there's that aspect of it. And then on top of that, it's like when when you finish the second playthrough, or at least that's when I think what Fox wedding, And that's when Shoe is kind of melded into like the bad guy at the end there.
Speaker 2: The final boss.
Speaker 3: But one of the things that you know Shoe is talking about is just kind of feeling like or I guess I guess Hinko is more saying it to him, is you kind of always saw me as a boy. And in some respects I liked that because I never felt like super feminine and I felt very shoe box into that role that was designed for me. But at the same time, like I she even says like I don't hate the fact that I was born a girl, like and I relate to that because I remember feeling like that when I was younger too. It's like, I don't hate the fact that I was born a girl at all, Like I don't have that dysmorphia, Like it feels right, But at the same time, growing.
Speaker 2: Up can really be hard when like.
Speaker 3: Society treats you like shit because you are a one and so like her kind of going on this feel of me like, I don't mind that, but at the same time, you know, like I want to have that freedom and this you only saw one side of it, and so in a similar way, you were also restricting my freedom. You made me feel like I couldn't be feminine, like you never really saw me as like a potential romantic partner. Even if you did maybe have feelings, you never acted on that or made me feel seen. And it's once again, it's kind of like Shoe thinking, I'm doing the right thing. I view her this way, this is what she wants, this is who she is. I know her best, But at the same time, like he's he's not really seeing her, he doesn't he's not really doing the best thing for her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I was going to bring up the themes of growing up in particular as a woman. Not to dwell on this too much, but I think there's an obvious theme of menstruation in the game. Like I even at the end if we listen to the song with the translated lyrics and stuff, and that clearly mentions like getting a period. I couldn't help but think that, like the red chasing you as you are that age, like when she's what like fifteen sixteen, and you are at the age where you stop being seen as a little girl and you become you start being seen as a woman. And there are also other bits where it's you know, these references to Hinako dying in the rice field, like she drowned and stuff. I took that as, oh, that's the death of her as a child, like because she even mentioned she was like this is the last time I cried, And that's a death of part of her childhood. And I see Silent Hell f as a lot of deaths of her childhood. And the fact that the fog the flowers in bloom being read covering up the torsos of the monsters who are other women. And then yeah, when you get to the stage where it is the pregnancy bellies on a monster that's spitting out more and more enemies for you. It's just like, oh god, that was so on the nose, and it's like part of when I was growing up at least, and I was at this point in an all girls' school where you couldn't wait to start a period because it meant that you were finally growing up and stuff. And I think you lose what makes I don't know, like in kind of like looking ahead so so much. You kind of realize that you're leaving your childhood and all of the great stuff that happened there behind, and what you are going into instead is you are moving away from that life of comfort of being taken care of by your parents, your extended family or even your friend's school, like you're always looked after by adults. And then I think when you're a woman, at least in my school as we were growing up, it was like you hit that line in the sand and you're like, oh, you're an adult now, and it is a very jarring thing that is so scary. And then yeah, you start thinking about boys, You start thinking about dating and married and university and growing up and stuff. And it just feels like you have fifteen years of being an actual child and then overnight you have to become an adult with all of the expectations that come with that. And so for me, when I was playing, I was just like, oh god, I don't want to think about being fifteen again.
Speaker 3: No. I am so glad that you said that, and I'm so glad that you were very unafraid to like broach menstruation and like, because like I completely agree with you. I think it's very like baked into the whole game, and like that's part of it. I mentioned like in the second play through I tear it up and it was like it.
Speaker 2: Was because of that.
Speaker 3: It reminds me of like the really depressing quote where it's like one time was like the last time you played with your friends at the end of the street, and like one time was the last time your parents picked you up and like said good night, And it's like all of those moments where you don't realize necessarily at the time that like this is the end of like that chapter of your life, but then you look back on it and you're like, oh my gosh, Like I don't like when I get sick like maybe maybe like my my husband will take care of me a little bit, right or like you know, friends or something like that. But it's not the same as for sure having you know, like like what, I have a kid now, when he gets sick, I'm taking care of him. It doesn't matter if I get sick because like I have to also take care of him. You don't get babied in that same way. And you know, there's also just like the issue of like just feeling very sexualized, like the second you hit that age.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just you know, I.
Speaker 3: Think that they say, like the average girl won't girl You'd think you'd hope it was a woman, but the average girl experiences like the most amount of cat calling and harassment at like twelve years old.
Speaker 2: Or thirteen years old, you know, like don't I don't know, don't quote me on that.
Speaker 3: That's a statistic that I've seen. Who knows like where it's from, but like that, I've seen it repeatedly. I've seen it a few times that a lot of girls. It's like the age of like twelve thirteen is when you experience the most And I mean, first of all, it's just so disturbing, but.
Speaker 2: Also it's like.
Speaker 3: We're forced, I think, probably more so than men right to like just grow up a bit quicker. We always have to be kind of mature for our age, and it's hard to especially when you do reach that point where it flips, because you're told the first you know, twelve years of your life, like you know, be bold and be curious and and I.
Speaker 2: Think that.
Speaker 3: Your your hobbies and your athleticism and just like like mental traits are praised more and encouraged more. And then you hit that switch and a lot of it turns into well, like how are you dressing? Like?
Speaker 2: What's your hair?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What are are you?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What is your body like?
Speaker 3: It turns a lot more into your physical appearance being valued more so than anything mentally, and it kind of, I think flips back a bit, but especially when you hit adolescents and that happens, it's just it really does feel like this death of yourself. And I think that's what Silent Hill does. And it's fucking wild that like a fifty year old man nailed it a good job. I mean joke, like, sorry, I feel like I'm tanded, but like I joke with my friend, she's like a huge horror movie fan, and she loves Robert Eggers. He's the guy who does like the Witch and knows Faratu, and like I've seen those movies with her, and each time I love those movies too, and each time we leave, you know, she's just like it's fucked up that that guy gets women so well, like that he manages to create these like very cathartic like little bit women's rage, but like like allowing women to be kind of more messy and like really in touch with their emotions and just do things and be kind of powerful and weird and dark. And like that's how this game made me feel. I was like, how is this guy just like get it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well to the point that you mentioned there where it's like you are not yourself and you are kind of like it's all about what you have to offer. I think that's a really good seguae to talk about the friend group in particular jealousy, because yeah, you, I guess like you kind of become a threat to everyone else as you grow up and there are and like when I remember growing up as a teenage girl being in an all girls like class, I was very lucky to have very deep friendships that I formed there. But the way that girls talk about each other can be so so intense.
Speaker 1: And this game does. The one thing that, again is context that sometimes I don't always have or didn't have as a teenager. My time as a teenager, I feel like it's probably different. I was like, really quick, I just want to say I don't like coming of age stories because I never have ever fit in with a coming of age story. I just have never related to. Like That's why I've alway struggle with persona games. I just in most cases I do not relate to these teenagers. But this game, this representation of a teenager, felt way more grounded and way more something I could reflect on than any other piece of media that I could watch in the in the teenage realm but I wanted. But with that context, the one thing that kind of like smacked me upside the face of it was when you're in the school and you're finding the notes, Yes, and it's like the sort of establishment that this is. This is how girls talk about each other, This is how girls expressed, you know, we're able to they did. They weren't physical, they weren't like trying to like beat each other up or I'm not sure if some were, but I'm like the idea of how men broach jealousy with one another versus how women do it, which in this case is very passive, aggressive, very maniacal to leave these little folded up notes and then you find them you just have.
Speaker 4: To assume, well, yeah, and so so in my second play through, when I'm going through in the kind of other world where it's like you'd have one piece of the diary and then you'd flick the switch and there would be the other real thoughts of the diary, and they would just be so violent and like everything was just brewing under the surface, and they would just be so so horrible in the way that we talk about each other, and especially in Oh, She's always so perfect, she always looks she always is so good looking, and she's a cockroach, like all this kind of stuff, because yeah, you're right, that's typically how girls would argue and fight when I was growing up. Like you would not get physical. You would just hear a rumor, or you would have someone call you something or hear that you'd been called something. And yeah, when it comes to and I was gonna say, Rinco pushing her down the stairs, or if she did push down the stairs. I feel like Kinnoko is such an unreliable narrator, particularly on that second play through the face that rink how has after that, and just the way she says you felt on the stairs clumsy. You know, it's like that's such a absolutely nailed it, nailed it. I feel like I've known that girl.
Speaker 3: Oh I was gonna say, like the subtlety is so spot on, because like that's the thing, is like, and it really does fuck with your brain, like when you're that age too, because you just kind of like that. I think that's when you start to get that complex of does this person really like me?
Speaker 2: Or do they not? With your friends, you know.
Speaker 3: And I hate to kind of be like it's so funny because at first, when I first started playing the game, for the first little bit, I was like, oh, is he Necho gonna be like one of those characters Like I just like guy friends because they're less drama because I always I hate I hate girls like that.
Speaker 2: I hate girls like that so much, you know.
Speaker 3: I But it is interesting though, because like when I grew up, I feel like now I have mostly women friends and you know, some guy friends, but it's like growing up, I think I definitely did probably have more guy friends, and I went through the experience of like it not being really a big deal, you know, And of course like there was some that I had like crushes on or whatever, but it's like it wasn't really a big deal until adolescence.
Speaker 2: And I remember having a friend.
Speaker 3: Who like basically was rinko who didn't really like that I talked to like this this guy friend of mine as much as I did, and who was very interested in him and would just like make the kind of comments of like, well, like I guess it's fine because like he doesn't really see you in that way, you know, Like I know for a fact that like you know, like you guys are really really close, but it's like probably like a brother sister type thing, like doesn't see you in that way.
Speaker 2: It doesn't couldn't see you in that.
Speaker 3: Way, or you know, well, you're just like very tomboyish. He's somebody that they can like play video games with because and like they feel relaxed with you because like you're not.
Speaker 2: You're not like that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And so it's like I dealt with kind of like my own situation and where you kind of feel like a bit ostracized because you aren't just one of the guys you never will be. But at the same time, like I don't know, you don't have that sense of community, and it starts to like I said, starts to mess with your brain, and so like it's cool that in this psychological horror game it addresses the fact that that shit messes with your brain and gives you a complex and makes you so.
Speaker 2: Unsure of like how do I presume? I don't know?
Speaker 3: And I guess that's like, well, that's one big thing, right, It's like this whole element of choice. Just I was talking to a friend about this game and I joked, I'm like, it's it's kind of like the video game version of like Sylvia Plath's like fin tree thing, right.
Speaker 2: Like there's so many options.
Speaker 3: And I did a thing where even before I got married or before I had a kid, like you do the spiral of like am I doing this because I want to? Or because it's like the next step and what society deems is like the good thing to do? Am I do? I? Am I sure that I want to do this. I envision myself like in one life getting away and like living in a city and being you know, and having that whole life, and there's one that's over here, and I feel like that's part of what Hinico is going through is it's like I don't want to get married. I don't want to lose this innocence, but at the same time, I do kind of want to get married. I do kind of want that companionship, like that sounds kind of nice, and I could love somebody, But at the same time, what if I'm being brainwashed into just thinking that I need to love somebody and that I want this And it's like that spiral that we all, I think, go through and it's depicted so well.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why I think it is so important how this game has handled multiple playthroughs and multiple endings, because I think that's exactly what it touches on, is that you don't get the full story from the first play through, but you also don't entirely know what's going on in her head. You don't even really know like like the extent of her battles with herself until you're three playthroughs, and you really don't get like the full grasp of every single problem she's facing and even having a solution to those problems. It's very messy, but in like the way that it feels like it should be the way that, Yeah, like being part of yourself.
Speaker 4: Is a traitor? Yeah, are you a traitor because you are leaving your friends behind? Like you are killing your friends to move on that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Are you a traitor because you're leaving your childhood behind, your family behind? Are you a traitor because you are not doing what you believe you should do? You are like bowing down to what other people think should do. And so I Yeah, the traitor thing was the thing that always like stuck out with me, and every time I heard it it kind of took on a different meaning.
Speaker 1: I've been trying. I wanted to talk about this, but we keep getting off topic. But I think this is the time to do it, and I do want We've talked a lot about the like the ideas in which you should be or how you should be viewed, and obviously there's there's a lot of metaphor and everything, even like all the way down to the menstrual thing is like I didn't even think about the flowers. It was when you said I was like, oh, duh. Clearly I have never had a period, but I, uh, the It's the one thing I really wanted to get both your takes on was the use of medication, Like the idea of like you, this thing is just given to the player during the first playthrough, and it is so normalized. Yeah, as just an item you take. You just that's what you're giving. This is your health. This helps your health, this helps you, it's your sanity, and that's it. And as a player, you're just like like any other game, you're just.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's just the healing, healing.
Speaker 1: Item you're you're gathering up. You're not really even thinking about it until the very end of the game when that item is completely recontextualized. Uh. And then poor Lucy play.
Speaker 4: I'm an idiot and I've did my second play through and.
Speaker 2: I'm taking him.
Speaker 1: But I did kind of the I messaged just this, but at first I was kind of like, to be completely transparent, I don't take medication for I take medication for other health reasons, but not for psychological or any chemical kind of imbalanced reasons like that. So it was hard for me to be like, is this a topic that people will be okay with? Because I know everyone has their own kind of viewpoint on this, and this game at first made me sort of feel like her problems are just being masked or solved quote unquote by taking medication. But it wasn't until I really like thought about I was like, no, no, no, no no. The point I eventually took away is it's the it's the religious thing you brought up with Carrie, where it's just you are taking it's it's it's as if it can just solve nineteen sixties Japan problems. Just take this medication. Just pray, just pray, just pray, and it'll all be better. It'll all be better. But anyways, I just want to to open that up, and because always thought that was a very intense topic that I don't know if I've seen breached as eloquently or as maybe even controversially as Salen hill f kind of does in that first playthrough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's it's interesting and it's something that gave me pause just because like I did take medication.
Speaker 2: You know, I've I've been taking it for years and years and years and years, and.
Speaker 3: It helps me a lot, you know, Like, of course you go through stuff that doesn't work, but you know, you get to the end and like it helps me a lot, and I love the fact that I found something that works. But at the same time, I also am like a like I definitely believe in the fact that like medicine is yeah, you know what they say, like why if you want to lose weight or if you want to maintain or whatever. It's like diet is eighty percent and exercises twenty percent. And I do think that like like medication and therapy work the same way. It's like medication is maybe the twenty percent of that or maybe maybe it's more in that case, like a thirty percent, But like all of the medication in the world won't help you if like you don't have a stable life at home, if you if you don't have food or like the resources that you need, if you don't have shelter, if you don't have anyone that you can talk to, if you don't have like a stable life at school, you know what I mean, Like, if you don't have stability and protection and feel safe in your own life, that's not gonna help you, you know. And it's maybe to the slightest degree, right, but at the end of the day, you're still going to have those issues.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, it's not going to solve societal problems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and especially like in the case of this right, like it's not going to solve the patriarchy, Like you know, it's not and you know, back in the nineteen sixties, and like I'm I don't I don't know Japan's history, Like I can't say this for sure, but it's like, at least in US history at that point in the US, they weren't even running medical trials for medicine on women or people of color. It was strictly like white men who were included in these trials. And it kind of also like adds a little bit to the shoe thing where it's like he doesn't really understand what he's messing with when he just makes this for her to like be like here, feel better.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's I think.
Speaker 3: Like I said, it ties in into not really understanding the medicine and not really understanding women and not necessarily caring to and that being the larger issue, and it approaches it and it's it's kind of like a dangerous thing to approach a little bit, you know, And.
Speaker 1: I mean even even even even trying to bring it up. I want to be like very sensitive of it because yeah, just seeing those like I don't know how I'm interpreting this right now, Like I'm not really sure what this game. On a first play through, I was not entirely sure where the game was trying to tell me. And that's not that's not a criticism of the game. It was just me being like, this just feels like something I may not be equipped to really be able to talk about, which is why I was like, hey, just did you feel about that? I'm kind of just to gauge and see maybe help me out a bit.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean because is it is it a commentary on antidepressants and ant anxiety or is it a commentary on masking everything else with other kinds of other kind of substance abuse, you know. And then you have the one situation, which in first play through is when she just takes a bunch and then.
Speaker 1: Beats the boss.
Speaker 4: Beats the boss, goes to a wedding and kills everyone and kills everyone there.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting too because throughout the game, like one of the first like optional areas that you can go to when the map opens up a teeny bit and like I don't like the second chapter I guess loosely, or third it's before you go to Rinko's house, and so like the corn fields are open or I guess the rice patties.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I don't remember what they are. But the fields are open, and you can go to that doctor's house, and.
Speaker 1: That house is a lot feel like I have not entirely unpacked what the hell is happening in that scene? But I'm sorry, Jess, I won't interrupt.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, you're totally right, though, I still don't understand the eyeballs.
Speaker 4: It's the eyeballs. Did I get this?
Speaker 1: Did you not?
Speaker 4: Did you go to the doctor's house, Yeah, right next to the rice field before I went to uh Ko's.
Speaker 1: Did you open the little box inside of his office?
Speaker 4: No, no, because when I went it was locked, so you could still open it.
Speaker 1: There's a box you can open. There's a key in that house.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I missed that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see I like that. I like that you saw. But anyways, when you when you unlock it, yeah, it's just like a medical's box and the very top of it is just filled with human eyeballs. Yeah, and then of course upstairs is the woman, whereas the mannequin body that's just kind of chilling in this room. And it's just like there's a lot there's like four narratives I feel like that are happening alongside this game. There's like the doctor's house. There's also the shack in the woods. Did you find that.
Speaker 4: Jess oh, the sanctuary.
Speaker 1: Well with all the with all the dead bodies.
Speaker 4: So in the second place I found the note where it was like I need yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So there's all these other like five different narratives that are happening alongside of where you're like what is this?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 4: This town is vice principle just like Godden Yep, he just likes gardening.
Speaker 1: And that's of course where you lost keys. Yeah where was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I didn't even think about because I was going to say, like there's this back and forth with like the doctors and some of the journals you find, and then people who live in the town who are like very big on natural medicine, like Shoes family, they run the apothecary, and so like.
Speaker 2: There's an interesting.
Speaker 3: Conversation about like kind of the meeting and this is something whenever I interviewed the creators like a couple of months ago, they said they chose the nineteen sixties because, at least in Japan, it.
Speaker 2: Felt like the era that.
Speaker 3: Was closest to like the Japan of the of the past, where it was like there was more focus on tradition and mythology and and religion and tradition. And now Japan, of course like still has that, but it's there's it's a lot more modern, and it's a lot more scientific, and I think that that was like where they wanted to explore, is like the meeting point of like the traditional and like the new and scientific, and you can kind of see that it's not like the predominant conversation, but similar to how like Kinko is going through this like awkward age transformation, like kind of the country is too, and like that's reflected even in like what the women character wants.
Speaker 4: Oh, I mean, even the fact that the shrines are falling into disrepair and people are ignoring them. But then you have this shiny candy store in the middle of town that felt so at odds with everything else that was so traditional. As you're walking around and then there are these bright colors that just looked so out of place.
Speaker 1: All the shrines are just smashed into small little corners and like little alleyways, and all that the the I want to go. I want to move a little bit into the actual endings or ending, should we say. I'm going to do my best to try not spoiler spoil other Silent Hell games for you, Lucy by saying this.
Speaker 4: Thank you, because I really do you want to play too.
Speaker 1: But I said this the jests and basically if you were if you're at all familiar with the sound Hill games, they all have like a ton of endings, right, and in most cases the first ending is never really the thing, but most you can basically get down to the bottom of what happened in those games. There is always there's usually always like this thing happened in Silent Hill too, and I know it happened because of this ending. This is the first sound Hill game where I'm not actually convinced the game had an ending at all, because every ending feels like its own scenario that could have happened. That could be the case, but none of them are definitive tree it's the victory, and of course the final ending does feel like the good ending, but even then it still feels like a fairy tale wonderland. Yeah, So basically to explain, I'm sure, so ending one ending one she you tell me what she did.
Speaker 4: Becomes the wolf girl fox is.
Speaker 1: So the ending of the first one is she killed people at her wedding.
Speaker 4: She kills people at her wedding, she like takes a bunch of those drugs, and.
Speaker 1: Then it establishes she's not sixteen at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's actually twenty and it's her wedding and she.
Speaker 1: Killed them with a knife.
Speaker 4: Kills them with a knife. And then so that's like recontentionalizing the you know, her father attacks her with the knife. Did that actually happen?
Speaker 3: And it's like the world that she's in, it's almost kind of like she's just imagining it, Like it's just psychosis. So it's not like there's any sort of flashback type thing. It's like literally she's inhabiting this world. But like and at towards the end, it's like you start hearing like people being like, wholl what's wrong with you?
Speaker 2: What's wrong with you?
Speaker 3: Is you're like running through the town because it's kind of breaking, And then yeah, you see police lights. You hear that a woman was getting married today and it's just like mass murdering her friends and family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's she's trapped in this version of herself, which is probably what you were referring to earlier, like the last point in which she was before turning into adulthood. So she's trapped in the sixteen year old body and then she kills all friends.
Speaker 3: Well, it just kind of shows you too, Like it ties into that medicine thing we talked about right where it's like, this is the Hinoko who was just like abusing medication for years and years and years and was getting married despite not wanting to, and was following all of these rules despite not wanting to, had completely lost her freedom and like just snapped, you know, like she finally just like lost it because she repressed so much of herself that she just didn't feel like she just associated and just kind of it's kind of Lucy kind of almost nailed it when she said what she thought was going on, Like basically like she was putting up with so much for so long until she just couldn't and she had to invent you know.
Speaker 2: Some other person, some other reality.
Speaker 1: To make and then we had the second or at least the second ending. You can unlock them in two different orders. For this one, I'll do the Fox's wedding, which is the one I got, which I think is the third ending. I got the second ending you got Jess, And in order to do this, you don't take red capsules.
Speaker 4: Don't take them.
Speaker 1: So in the Fox's Wedding, I would say, this is where she still kind of Shoe steps in with the baseball bet yes, and it's like you're marrying the wrong guy for the wrong reasons. But in this ending, she kind of seems acceptant of her fate, which is why she's like the full Fox basically like Fox arm Fox mask and defends Fox mask Man and then fights Shoe, which I think is an amazing fight. So and at the end of that they have their fist bump moment.
Speaker 4: They when talk about her and she even.
Speaker 1: Said trade her off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they she she was like, look, I know her, you know I won't es best for her if you hurt her. I'll do this with this Fox Basket is like, no, don't you know I've fought for her love and I'm gonna make it whatever. And they're having this little bro moment, and she's standing behind both of them, crucially not at the same level. She she says, don't treat me like an object.
Speaker 1: They basically ignore and they're ignoring it. And so yeah, and then that ends with the great face her face is cut off and it's like, I don't want to be like my mother, and then the thing is like, amazing. So that's the other ending. That's the one you that's the second one you got, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the second one I got. And it's like at the first it's so funny because like that one ends kind of in a nice way, and then like the rest of the credits roll and then you get that scene and at first I was like, oh shit, Like I feel like I feel bad now because that wasn't that wasn't good.
Speaker 4: But it's the same.
Speaker 3: As someone who has had a very complicated relationship with her mother and who took all of those fears and a lot of baggage into her relationships and to even like being a mom and stuff. I'm like, I kind of don't hate it because realistically, like that fear is always kind of there, and it's like you can kind of neatly wrap the experience in a bow and say, like she's happy it all worked out, but like that stuff sticks with you, like she probably does have that fear and we will have that fear for the rest of her life, you know, like she had a mom who didn't stick up to her and like kind of failed her as a parent, and a dad was abusive and an alcoholic.
Speaker 1: And then uh, we have a third ending where she fights the fox and runs away with shoe, which has the weirdest post credit scene, which was where it has a radio message that like people are being.
Speaker 4: Oh evacuated because of a poison gases.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I was informed is apparently a theme that Right has in his other games because of the history Japan has had with chemical spills and like things that have been caused basically by the government poisoning water and doing nothing about it. So that has like the weirdest like.
Speaker 4: They get away, but then there's this other thing about that dream induced by poison gas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that also is a great I also love the part in that ending when she was like you look ridiculous in that and she's like, well you like like look at you, You're wearing a tie. But of course they're just sixteen year olds in the vision. So and then again is that the real one? Is that what happened?
Speaker 4: Or is it number four?
Speaker 2: I think like that.
Speaker 3: I say that ending I think is like the most grounded, But I think that the fourth ending is my favorite.
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing. I thought the shoe one was the fairy tale ending, and then the fourth one happened. I was like, I don't fucking know, because in that ending, everyone kind of gets what they want.
Speaker 4: Like she, I mean, no one's in the town.
Speaker 1: And she's just with herself, still in her sixteen year old self, but with her other self.
Speaker 4: She's accepting, you know, her childhood, the fact that she's becoming an adult and she doesn't have to deal with anyone else's shit, and no one else is in that down It's.
Speaker 1: Like maybe we'll maybe one day we'll we'll get back together and make her own choice to get married. Do wudn't believe it. I was having candy with kids, I was experiencing childhood, and it was one of those things where I was like, this is the good ending. But then I kind of I don't know what the fuck happened or what really happened, which is great, which is exactly what I want. So, yeah, I'm gonna put it to you, jess what do you think happened?
Speaker 2: What do I think? See?
Speaker 3: I think that the point though, is that any one of them could, you know, And it's like, ultimately we're making these choices as players, and obviously like Hinoko is not a real person, right, But I think that at the same time, like there's almost kind of like this maybe meta narrative there of like well, like these are all the things that could happen, and maybe there's like a million other things that could happen too, and ultimately, like she's gonna write her own fate, you know, and it's just kind of like a glimpse at these possibilities.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I like that is because they're also they're all kind of a little messy in their own way. There is no perfect good outcome, and I think that is very true to life, like you never are going to get everything that you want. So I like Jessic's interpretation where these are just.
Speaker 1: Could have Yes, Yeah, that's how I took it. It was just the interpretation of what could happen to in any one case scenario of a person. Just it's the thing that I think this makes this game so good, even more so than other Soundhill games, is that it is a just sort of like it's not like it's a psychological horror where this you can explain things and there's deep lore and explanations for X, Y, and Z. Although they did connect this game to the other games, which I'm a little whatever about because I'm not a lower person. But it is the case in which it's not really anything happened. It's just like, this is the horror kind of spiral in which a person can go through when grappling with versions of themselves, expectations upon themselves, expectations of others, and what that means, how it affects you in your life and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: So, oh, you know what we didn't talk about what the other missing girl.
Speaker 1: Oh that I kind of was referring to that with the four other plot lines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, because that was one that I was like every time I found a note about her or the ripped thing on the noticeboard.
Speaker 1: That is one that I'm looking forward to the Internet solving. Right, There's a.
Speaker 3: Few things that are like that, where like, even when I was playing it, and I was like very intentionally like trying to like dig in, right, So I'm doing this review and I even wrote and I kind of agree with you, Kurt, like I wasn't.
Speaker 2: I wasn't one of those.
Speaker 3: People was like, how are they going to tie it to the other games? This isn't a real Silent Hill because I think that that's silly.
Speaker 2: But I'm glad that they did it in such a subtle way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did it subtle enough where it's like that's what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like a very cause basically, I mean like the way that it's really really tied together is like the same type of flower that's used in the other Silent Hill games that has psychotic properties is the same flower that's growing your shoes house that.
Speaker 2: He uses to make her medicine.
Speaker 3: So like there's that tie of of like there being used, but I don't know, there's there's like just so many things where I'm like, I think I've grasped this. I think that I know what's going on, but even like the stuff with the doctor and just like I'm not entirely sure what the takeaway is here, like what the main story is, and so I am very interested to see what the internet kind of deduces.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that that's kind of what I figured. The post credits scene where they were talking about the poison gas was alluring to that. It's like this town just has problems.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like type thing, but it was just stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, stuff is going on. The one kind of major thing I want to end this, or at least kind of move towards, is I'm just glad to play a new sound Hill game that focuses on Silent Hill being a state of mind rather than a place with a history and a thing, and the fact that like this is It's why I think I controversially think sold Hill four is one of the better sound Hill games, but that's because it removes It's like there's still references to Silent Hill, but that game focuses on this man being trapped in a place that clearly is not real or a place that is deeper in meaning and doesn't actually connect to some lore. And why I've never really been a fan of one or three. I know you don't know anything about this, but is because they tried to. There's like cults and witches and all of these things. And I've always thought sold Hill two is one of the better ones because it's like it really is. Just man, that's it. So I I just think it's so cool that and brave in a way that Konami's like, all right, we're on the tail end of the Silent Hill two remake being a success, being well received after what felt like was an impossible feat, and now they have a game that is completely They chose to be like, we're not going to remake another one, We're going to make a new one, and they knocked it out of the park. Neo Birds and yeah, this game. That's the one thing that I'm interested in you, Lucy, because this is your first Soundhill game, and I do not know how you're gonna fare going into other ones because they're so darkly different.
Speaker 4: That's the thing that I'm excited about. I want to experience Silent Hill too. I think that will be my next one. I love horror, and yeah, for some reason, Silent Hill has always been a spot that I've just never explored.
Speaker 1: Everyone stereotype me. Yeah, everyone, I just thought I was a Soulent Hill person.
Speaker 4: I thought you were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you guess what You're all wrong? Yeah, yeah, yeah, Like I.
Speaker 2: Literally remember when I saw two.
Speaker 3: I did like the preview event for that, and I don't know if I like wrote it my preview and I sent it your way or something Kurt, and I was just like, what do you think is like a big silent Hill fan and You're like, well, I was.
Speaker 1: Like, buckle up, No, I think it was. It was actually during the sound Hill to Remake review process, MARKT. Delaney reviewed it, but I was handling the video coverage, and again it was one of those things where no one everyone just kind of looked at me, and I was like, it's fine, I'm okay with it. Because I often say resident or I'm sorry, I often say Survival Horror is my beat, Like that is the thing that like I'm comfortable being like having a touching point for what I know a lot about. So it's fine, it's fine. But I do remember messaging Jess because I think Jesse were just like, well, how do you think? Like how is it? Like I hear it's really good, and I was like that's when I was like, well, if this means anything as someone who is not a fan of this original game, who has a lot of problems with it, this is fucking awesome. I was like, this is great. And the thing that the sc that Sunhill f does. That I think makes the franchise work for me today is that you technology today allows subtlety to breathe, like actual face animations, actual acting, and the way people can say something cryptic that doesn't make any sense but you can read you can pick up on so much more nuanced because of the technology, because of graphics and the Oh my god, there's a scene with Sho, like right when you meet him for the first time, where he gives you the red thing and like he does a little like shrug and his eyes twitch a certain way, and it felt like something. It felt so much more than a sentence he could have said, And I was like, oh my god. And Silent Heal two remake is all that. It's just movements and expressions on things that sentences that were bullshit lines to me in the first game have completely different meaning in this game to me because of the way the actors express it. And that's where I was like, Silent Hill is at its best right now. And I never thought I would say it's because of technology, but I really do think so I.
Speaker 2: Was about to say the same thing.
Speaker 3: I am totally not like, go oh, Like, the graphics are so good, it's so high fidelity. Like I'm not that kind of person ninety nine percent of the time, but it is like I've seen, like more and more a lot of people who, like we would traditionally call voice actors right in video games, being like I would prefer it if I was just called an actor, because more often than not, like these people are doing motion capture, like they're acting, like they're doing full blown acting alongside other people just for video games.
Speaker 2: And so I've been trying to make.
Speaker 3: Like a really conscious effort to like just say actors instead of you know, trying like just constantly going to vo or, you know, voice actor. And yeah, like in this game, especially like it and also Silent Hill too, it like the performance is really you make it. I played the I played Silent Hill f both in English and in Japanese. I did Japanese first and then I did English, and like, both are fantastic. I think I probably prefer the Japanese. I feel like it's just.
Speaker 1: If she doesn't get nominated, if she doesn't get nominated for something, I'm gonna fucking I'm gonna flip out incredible. She does like sex different roles basically and like different layers of those roles in different situations. Like you didn't see the there's we have to wrap this up, but there's scenes that she does with her parents that are, oh, she like, you see a totally different side of her acting chops because you don't see her react, you don't see her talk to her parents, actually really talk to her parents, and it gives a totally different context. She's phenomenal, phenomenally, she's so good. She's not just screaming the whole time, but she's screaming. But her screaming is great. The screaming she does is good.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's impressive, screaming my throat.
Speaker 4: Listen listening to her screaming.
Speaker 1: Anyways, we have we're gonna bring this tow clothes. I feel like we didn't even we talked about we didn't even talk about playing the game. But the fox are good. Yeah, that's that was God. That was the hardest part to keep secret is to be like, because when that fox arm showed up, not just the scene in which she gets it, but when it shows up, you start playing with it. I remember I stood up in my room being like, I don't fucking know what's happening. But this fucking.
Speaker 3: That series of events, it's so cool, like I I hate to be like the girl and it's so funny because like I remember somebody in Slack the second that yes RB rating went up for the game, they were just like ellameo, like what is happening? It's true because it literally says like woman burned alive in cage, like woman is branded cut off. It's it is just also good, like that whole like ritual sequence is so good. And then you get like the powers at the end, and it's so wild because it's like you spend so much of the game just feeling very weak and then you get to like the spirit world and you lose like the weapon durability aspect because you get like the little yea hell yeah so powerful and then you get that and you're just like, Okay, this place is this is my my place now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? The uh, the the one boss fight you two didn't get the fight, but I had my stand up and scream and freak out thing all over again. Was the final fourth boss fight where you the camera goes from that looks being fox arm and then the camera transitions into the water where you're just normal with your pipe and I was like, I stood up and I was like, I'm playing god. I was freaking out. I was having so good And the fact that you fight.
Speaker 3: Her also, oh sorry, I feel like we could talk about this all the time. One other thing that I loved in the first ending when she starts to take the pills and then she's running out and the camera just zooms.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, she gets smaller, but the pills are just getting larger and larger and larger.
Speaker 2: Like I love that disorienting shit.
Speaker 3: It reminds you of like in Metal Gear Solid two, right like towards the end, I feel like they do that too, where they just like pull out and it's just it's so weird how just like changing the camera that little bit completely alienates you and you feel like you're just so tense and I don't know, it's it was such a good touch.
Speaker 2: I loved that part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like I wanted to be able to use the spoiler cast to get into the nitty gritty of stuff that I just was like, Eire's just so much of it, so much of it, much, so much of it. But yeah, fox arm.
Speaker 4: Did you find her hand in a box?
Speaker 1: I did? I did find that and her face, Yeah, the face like when it cuts away and shows just the slab of her eye, like the part of her face just kind of laid down. I was like, oh hell, anyways.
Speaker 4: I didn't expect the ocami. I found a note where it's it's like, it's not a video call me, but it's like a Japanese myth, a legend where it's a Roachi with the heads.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if I even put the okami thing together.
Speaker 4: That is the plot of a comedy. It's funny. Roachi is the beast with a bunch of heads, and Susanna is the the guy.
Speaker 1: The guy.
Speaker 4: You're the wolf god, the wolf god.
Speaker 1: I seriously cold talk about this game all day. So anyways, this has been great for me because I have been bottled up.
Speaker 4: You've been like that meme of the guy with the vein on his.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, yeah no, that is like I it's been so painful, and I've been trying so hard. You've been very good to not say. Well, actually, my concern was just being excited. I was like felt like I was being too excited, but I was like it was just bottled up, Like.
Speaker 3: I just got jump, like it's like and it's nerve wracking to you. I feel like being like super super excited about a game, like before it's.
Speaker 1: Out, no one's playing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then I always like and it really doesn't matter. Like I even told Kurt. Kurt was just like, just just like give it whatever review you think it deserves, like just write your thing. But I'm like, I always just get in my head because I'm like, what if I'm that person who like, this game is my ship. It is so good. I'm giving it a nine. It's fantastic, and everybody else comes out there's like sixes and gives it doesn't matter, Like I stick to my gun.
Speaker 1: That's why I was like, I was like, look, you you just need to write the text and like everyone else will decide on what the text reads if you think not that we gave it a ton, but just saying if you think a game is a ten and you feel like that's too much, trust me. I went through this. You've given a couple of tens. I've only given I give it one ten. Yeah, and I and I regret there's one game I regret not giving a ten that will not disclose here. Oh yes, but It's one of those things where you know, I it's just sometimes you just like you gotta put it on paper, and if that's how you feel, then then the text will speak for that thing. Silent just like in Silent Hell.
Speaker 2: Well, that's like we like there.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I feel like we claim over and over and over again that like there's no such thing as an objective review like to Chase that is just absolutely ridiculous. So you just kind of have to find people who like, maybe you like their reviews, they have an overlap in the games that they actually like with you, and just like stick with them. So ultimately, it's like this game worked for me. It worked so well. It hit so many themes and just had so much that resonated with me extremely deeply, and there's no world in which I would regret giving it a nine.
Speaker 2: Like I think it's so well done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I actually think I'm actually surprised as not as more.
Speaker 4: Am I divisive?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I actually thought was more divisive. I was like there was a point where I was like, Silent Hole fans are going to be like, what the fuck is this?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: The subrodditts on Lockdown a.
Speaker 1: Bit okay, well, in terms of ratings and scores, it was not as divisive as I thought it was going to be. So when I actually saw it come out like consistently. I know there's a few reviews that leaked, a few reviews that went out early, and I know there's been some lower ones, but generally across the border is like, this is not as I didn't I was interested. People were going to be like, why did you call this a solid hill game?
Speaker 2: People are conversation.
Speaker 1: Well, thankfully, I'm not seeing it. I'm in my little world just enjoying things and it's great.
Speaker 3: I think it's not as intense as as it could be, though, Like there are a lot of people who jump to the same thing that I've been saying, where it's like, sure doesn't take place in Silent Hill, but you have this, this, this and this and this, and like that's more what Silent Hill is anyway, So I don't understand what the what the big deal is.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think that the majority of folks that I've seen are on board with it, but there is of course some people who.
Speaker 1: That's okay, that's okay, that's all right. People get mad at me because you know, I'm not a silent Hill fan, but now after this, I'm silent pilled, very good. Good at the very beginning of this podcast, and hell because I was going to tie it into the medication part of the GOT for the very end. Anyways, Jessica Cau's, well, it was so good having you here. He was so good being able to chat about this. I've been wanting I deliberately, I haven't really You've obviously picked up on my feelings, but I deliberately wasn't telling you how I felt about the game. I think you just read it. I think you just like I was, like, I was waiting for that.
Speaker 4: What's up with's face? Is he smiling?
Speaker 3: I think you're, like I said, your enthusiasm when you genuinely do like something comes through and so like, I was like, even if he's not saying it, I think he likes it.
Speaker 1: I just because I'm very respectful of people who review games, and I don't want to have them hear what I think about said thing. But I was definitely when you said this thing was fucking sick, I was like, fucking yes, it was okay, Jessica as well, thank you for being here. Lucy James. Yeah, the new the.
Speaker 4: New sound, the new Silent Hill, a fish, you're not on the block?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what does F stand for? Will end it? There?
Speaker 4: Forte?
Speaker 1: You've already basically.
Speaker 4: No, but I think because she finally becomes loud about things like.
Speaker 3: Literally, Lucy, Yes, that's it my exact thought. I was just telling my sister.
Speaker 2: She was like, so what is it? Did they even clarifying?
Speaker 3: Like, I think it's Forte because it is the Forte symbol and like it juxtaposes Silent Hill and it's all about gaining your voice. And I'm like, I think it's got to be Forte.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I don't want to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean either that's the beauty of it. And I'm your host, who is very honored to be here. That's the first after Dark episode I've ever hosted. I know, isn't that wacky dacky? I know, skibbity bop show up up? Look at me growing up? F F four.
Speaker 2: Are you hurt?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah no, I've already chopped his face off and stepped on it, did you miss? Yeah? My fox mouth's right over there, bam there it is alright everyone, Thank you so much for listening. Thank you so much for being here. Thank you so much for listening all of us chit chat away. I'm gonna go continue screaming inside because I could probably keep talking about this game for a while. Okay, so long, folks. Bye b