Speaker 1: And an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. Even though the Dodgers have the best record in baseball, even though they're doing pretty well, there's something missing. And that's something whereas number twenty two and he'll be back on the mound on Saturday against the Angels. That pillar of strength, competitive spirit, back on the mound at Dodger Stadium in Clayton, Kershaw. Thank you for the time. Great to see you back from Oklahoma City.
Speaker 2: Wow, what an intro, Thanks Dave. Good to be back.
Speaker 1: It's been a long road. It hasn't been easy. How gratifying is it that that moment is coming up here Saturday?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, this has been a it's been a hard one for sure. But yeah, I'm super excited to get back out here. More than anything, just tired of taking up space. You know, I want to I want to contribute. I want to help the team out, and so I'm I'm excited to get out there and start getting some people out and uh, you know, making a positive contribution.
Speaker 1: Even though it was rehab assignments in the minor leagues, how good did it feel to be out there and actually pitching again.
Speaker 3: Well, it feel good to be focused on pitching, you know. I think, you know, the last few times I pitched last year, just focus on how much my foot was hurting, you know. And so I think now kind of shifting the gears towards just how do I get people out, and you know, just focusing more on the next pitch as opposed to what hurts as nice, you know. So yeah, physically I feel good, and it's been a it's been a hard road, but now that we're kind of on the tail end of that and starting the new chapter of actually getting the pitch has been it is exciting.
Speaker 1: When you set out on this rehab assignment. You talked about the toe cooperating, the foot cooperating. How long did you have to kick it before it cooperated?
Speaker 3: I still kick it. I still kick its cooperating, you know. I think, Yeah, the last two weeks especially, I would say that I can feel the strength coming back a little bit and I feel like I can use it a little bit better. So I think it'll just continue to get better with time, and the more reps I get, the better.
Speaker 2: So no time like the president to start start getting some.
Speaker 1: Reps, even though you've had the career that you've had. You're coming back from a couple of surgeries on the same leg to get the results you got. Did that mean something to you? Did it validate anything that maybe you had doubts about?
Speaker 3: Well, I think anytime you can get people out, you know, I think that's important. And so that's why I enjoy going to Triple A because it's like, you know, these guys are all good hitters, they're all, you know, right on the cusp with being big leaguers.
Speaker 2: So it kind of gives some feedback right away.
Speaker 3: And obviously it's not the big leagues, but it's important to get that feedback. And I'll get some more feedback on Saturday, for sure.
Speaker 1: Hey, the feedback that I saw, I mean I was happy to see it. That was an old school kershaw coming off the mound like you did and turning and throwing to make a play off the mound. I mean, that's who you are. I mean, did you know you still had that?
Speaker 3: Just it's only in there if I need it. I guess I don't practice that too much. But no, that was a fun play. And yeah, I guess it's a good sign that the foot feels good.
Speaker 2: So it's great.
Speaker 1: I'm going to ask you question that people keep asking me. What motivates you at this stage of your career to go through all this to come back?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I think I think not letting an injury be the reason I stop. I think that's probably the main thing. Look, if I get out there and get sheld and I'm not any good anymore and just the time is to the time, then that's one thing. But I don't want it to be because I didn't rehab an injury well, or I let something get the best of me, you know, So if another hitter gets the best of me, that's one thing. But I'm not going to let myself do it to myself, if that makes sense, And so that's I think that's the biggest motivating factor. Another one is my family.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I think Ellen and my kids they're both they all they all want me to keep going. And Ellen's super supportive of wanting me to do it as long as I can, as long as I want to, And so I mean, if she wasn't as supportive as she was, it'd be a lot harder. So I think that's a huge motivating factor too.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go, when you look at this team and where it's at when you come back on Saturday. Do you look at it from a ninety degree angle, looking down and seeing how it all comes together? How do you look at this team right now?
Speaker 2: I look at it, you know. I've been watching the games on TV just like.
Speaker 3: Everybody else, and it's a great team, you know. I think, you know, forty games in you can see a lot of things that are going really well. And for me personally, I just want to be a part of it. So I'm excited to start contributing and hopefully for a long time, all the way through October.
Speaker 1: No doubt, far from over. Kershaw, don't forget it.
Speaker 2: I hear you. I like it. Thanks Dave.
Speaker 1: So great to have Clayton Kershaw back. It'll be even better and the world will be right. The baseball world will be right when Kershaw's back on the mount on Saturday against the Angels. The uz and Os for Hey song, Kim Kershaw.
Speaker 2: Hey those are nice pipes, high songs, Jack.
Speaker 1: Great to see you smiling. Great to have you back all right, Thanks Dave.