Speaker 1: Welcome to Navara Alive. Coming up tonight, we've got a special report from Stephen Methan, who is back from a defend our juries process in Westminster during which multiple people were arrested seemingly simply of sitting down. We speak to a Palestinian student trying to get an education in the UK, and will be joined live by actress Juliette Stephenson to speak about how campaign work for Gaza and last weep, we'll discuss how the Greens will fare against a more competent labor leader. I'm Helena Akino, Justice MTG and I'll be joined later tonight for Ladies Night by Dahlia Gabrielle. If you'd like to support our work, you can sign up at Navaramedia dot com forward Slash Support. You can also listen to the show on Spotify and Apple podcasts, and as always, remember to like the video, subscribe to the channel if you haven't already, and make sure that you'll let us know what you think in the comments section down below. In this country, over thirty five hundred people have been arrested under the Terrorism Act since last summer. Most of them have committed the HEENUS dangerous and Villa's act of holding bits of paper on which they've written just seven words, those words being I opposed genocide, I support Palestine action. Today many of those charged were due to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court. In fact, over fifteen hundred cases were listed to have a hearing today. That's according to defend Our Juries. But all when a bit pair shaped Novara Stephen Methnin was down at the court and he joins me, now, so Stephen, can you take us through the events of the day.
Speaker 2: I can. It was a very, very bizarre from my point of view, I have to say. So what happened is that around fifteen hundred people were scheduled to appear or with hearings for them were scheduled at Westminster Magistrate's Court today. So those are people who have been charged under Section thirteen, largely of the Terrorism Act for holding up signs. Fifteen hundred people is a lot of people to process through the court in a single day. Of course, it was just an administrative moment, but even so, that's a lot of administration to do in a single day, and it's a real indication of actually like the size of the problem that's going to be facing the court, because of course you have the administrative hearings, but then you have the actual ones that come a bit further down the road. Those hearings were then apparently canceled. Letters were written to a law firm saying, please advise your clients that the hearings are no longer taking place, have been postponed to all October. Other people got the most crazy contradictory caf gesque letters. You can imagine where it said you might at the top of the letter you must attend this hearing, and then further down you must attend this hearing, and then a little bit low down do not attend this hearing, or in a single letter. And then having been told that the hearings were not going to go ahead, suddenly they were relisted, and suddenly it appeared that there were now over two thousand that had been listed. And indeed, I have this document here which is from Defender Juries. I haven't been able to verify it myself. There are two thousand, one hundred hearings on here which were all supposed to be processed today. So what happened then was that defendel Juries obviously were like well there's going to be there are these hearings. Fifteen hundred people at the start we got supposed to turn up, so let's do something there. And what they planned to do was to erect a stage where there would be sort of some poetry read, some statements made, all as I understand it to be perfectly legal until a certain point at which people would then do a law breaking.
Speaker 3: Action under the Terrorism Act.
Speaker 2: Now some of you will have seen that I went to New Scotland Yard earlier this month where it was the first action where defendel Juria's kind of escalated their tactics. So instead of holding up signs, which is a breach of Section thirteen of the Terrorism Act, which carries a six month sentence and can be dealt with in the magistrate's court, they vocally expressed support for Palistine Action, and.
Speaker 3: Indeed they encouraged.
Speaker 2: And some express membership of Palisine Action, and they encouraged the police to join the organized station as well, an organization which by the way has been disbanded as far as we know. So that carries that's the Section twelve violation, and that carries fourteen years a maximum of fourteen year sentence. And because it has such a hefty sentence. It's the kind of charge which has to be largely has to be dealt with in the Crown Court, which should mean a jury. So that was an escalation in tactics, which would mean that, you know, the magistrates courts had been sort of flooded with these Section thirteen offenses and now they were going to go to start going in front of juries and flooding the crown call what most people think of it as a criminal court. So there was some law breaking I understand that was planned for today where people would do a similar thing deliberately breached Section twelve of the Act.
Speaker 3: The police put out.
Speaker 2: A statement last night advising people not to do it, that they would be making arrests they excuse me, cording off an area around the magistrate's court where it was an order in place not to be allowed to wear face masks. None of these people, as far as like aramb but ever wear face masked. But again it's sort of you know, it really struck me when I saw the police statement. I was like, you know, even the police don't believe it's a terrorism, right, this is liked.
Speaker 1: With Was it Harry who did interviews with the police about this stuff, saying that they felt really kind of awkward about doing the arrest.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Those were anonymous individual police officers. But this is like the met as a kind of organization.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: If you think that there's.
Speaker 2: Going to be literally perhaps the largest gathering of terror offenders the country has ever seen outside of court, helicopters, what teams, negotiators to negotiate, the signs out of their hands.
Speaker 3: None of that occurred.
Speaker 2: And then they come a batch in to do hostage negotiations exactly. None of that occurred obviously, because you know, nobody, not even the police, believes that these are these people who are being charged under the Terrorism Act, are anything like terrorists at all. So that was the setup to what happened today, and then you know it all, it all went a bit strange.
Speaker 1: Well fair, fair enough, and also I believe you were down at the events today, so we've got some footage so we'll be able to show you not now. A former government lawyer, Tim Crossend explained what the plan for the process today had been.
Speaker 5: We had a plan and the first part of that plan was to have poems and songs in solidarity with our brothers and sisters in Garzen. Police knew that was the plan. I was asked by an officer earlier on if you're going to do things like that, can you please be the other side of that metal barrier. We moved to the other side of that metal barrier, and then two people came to put up a little podium, and it really was a very very little podium that side of the barrier. The purpose of that podium was so that people reading their poems and speaking could be heard, because you've got a big crowd here. Without that, you can't be heard. As they were putting the barrier up, that the podium up, they were handcuffed, handcuffed behind their back, arrested, one dragged off in acute pain for putting up the podium and the police saying you're being arrested under Section twelve of the Terrorism Act. It was an opportunity for people to read poems.
Speaker 2: So setting up a stage is terrorism now?
Speaker 5: Stage apparently is terrorism now. There was somebody without Once the stage and the amplification were confiscated by the police, someone stepped in just to try and get the attention of people and to say we haven't got a stage. We haven't got amplification. But the show's going to go on. But she was arrested, and I heard a police officer say she must be the organizer. I happen to know she's not an organizer, right. She was arrested and handcuffed for saying, you know, essentially good morning to people to get their attention, nothing more than that we're at a point not just where you're you know, banned under a Public Order Act for trying to speak about Gaza. You are a terrorist if you are trying to draw attention to the genocide that takes place. The only way not to be a terrorist is either to express support for the genocide and the burning up of our planet, or to be silent about it.
Speaker 1: Stephen also asked Corosland about the escalation and defend our Juries' tactics.
Speaker 5: Yes, so you could say the court system has sort of fallen at the first hurdle here. This was meant to be a simple administrative hearing of a summary only offense, and it is chaos. Couldn't even get a message to people that they've been in a German But as you say, people today being arrested under Section twelve for putting up podiums for planning to read poems, not even actually reading the poems were Section twelve is jury trial, Crown court trial up to fourteen years imprisonment. And this is at the same time that Andy Burnham and his government is dealing with a crisis about people convicted of violent offenses being released early from prison are apparently to make way for pensioners who were planning to read poems. The sort of situation we've got now, fifty nine year old white women are the average terrorist pensioner of conscience, So the average terrorists, yes, how.
Speaker 3: Dare they get a conspiracy to commit poetry? Potentially? I don't know. Now.
Speaker 1: Pretty quickly police started arresting those who had come down to the court, but it wasn't very clear.
Speaker 2: Why what section have you been arrested under.
Speaker 6: Section twelve just for being here? I haven't even said any words. I've just been arrested for Section twelve for sitting on the pavement with not saying anything or displaying any article.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're not wearing you're not holding a sign, you're not wearing anything that would be a Section thirteen breach.
Speaker 6: Me no ground for arrest whatsoever. And I can't wait to get my wrongful arrest play out from the police.
Speaker 2: Have the police explained to you what sub section of section twelve you you're been arrested under.
Speaker 6: You can ask this lady here.
Speaker 2: Officers, what part of section twelve is the arrest outrageous?
Speaker 6: She doesn't want to tell us.
Speaker 2: You weren't chanting anything, You didn't say anything.
Speaker 7: Apped.
Speaker 8: I clapped.
Speaker 6: That was it.
Speaker 2: This is what you were expecting when you sat down on the pavements day.
Speaker 9: Absolutely not.
Speaker 6: I is here just to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're about to get lifted away. How are you feeling about that?
Speaker 1: Defiant?
Speaker 2: Any message for the government.
Speaker 6: I don't stop this before late, stop this slide into authoritarianism before it's too late.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 10: This is crazy, absolutely crazy.
Speaker 3: You're going to discate the shoulders. What's the matter with you?
Speaker 2: Haven't you ever done any manual handling training?
Speaker 11: Shame on you you.
Speaker 12: I'm not holding a placard. I have not breached the law in any way on what basis? Under what law are you arresting me? No, you've said Section twelve. Under what section of section twelve are you arresting me? Please be specific? I have not broken the law under what parts of section twelve. Are you arresting me?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: What section is she being arrested under?
Speaker 12: But what?
Speaker 3: But what?
Speaker 2: But what was her what was her expression of support?
Speaker 13: I am not commissioned an offense.
Speaker 2: You tell me what section?
Speaker 12: Not telling me under what part of section two?
Speaker 4: You need law?
Speaker 3: Anyone?
Speaker 2: I'm signing him yourself?
Speaker 3: Oh not?
Speaker 1: The Free Speech Union are saying about this, Stephen, when they'll talk about the the fact people are getting arrested for claps apparently, Now, I wonder if when we'll get the screen about the movie went towards you know, the policing of speech from people like that. No, no, so I don't know when that might happen anyway, I mean, this is clearly a much higher threshold for arrests than we've seen previously.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, I mean, you know, look, I was there when many of those arrests happened, and in fact, I was interviewing somebody when I suddenly saw the police begin arresting people. And I hadn't seen a single sign. So you know, that's that cost normally in these protests is when the signs come out that the arrests begin. But I didn't seen any signs then behind me that second woman started to get arrested, and so I broke off the interview to go and talk to her and film it. And the claim I heard from some of the crowd was that the police had said that they had been chanting something, something that was prescribed. Now, there may have been some chanting at another part of the of the sort of area that I was in, I didn't I didn't hear it, and I certainly didn't hear it anywhere near me. And you know, look, those two women both said they were They didn't say anything, they didn't change anything, they weren't holding anything. They clearly weren't holding anything. And the really important point here is that they have absolutely no reason to lie about that, because the whole point of being there for purposes of breaking the law is to get arrested for breaking that that law, and breaking the law for them is an act of conscience which they do in order to preserve what they take to be well, in order to oppose what they take to be a huge degradation of our civil liberties when it comes to speech, when it comes to gathering assembly, and also when it comes to direct action, which is how they regard you know, palasine action. There's a direct action group, one in a very long tradition of direct action, so they have no reason to lie. So I don't really I don't think when those women said we weren't doing anything, we're literally just clapped that that you know, there's there's absolutely no reason to disbelieve them. As far as I'm concerned now, whether clapping is now supporting a terrorist group is a really good question, because perhaps somebody did chant somebody and they clapped, and that clap councers a support for their statement, which was a support a statement in support.
Speaker 3: For a terrorist group.
Speaker 2: It will be unimaginable to me if that is the threshold the police are now applying. What if somebody nods their head, is that going to be support for a prescribed organization? Well, if you're just like walking across the street talking on the bone and you say yes very loudly as somebody somebody's you know, makes a statement about Palisine action, it is loop de lou, you know, it's I mean, I think you know a few years ago this situation. Where as as as Tim Crosston, or as I said, maybe when I talked to Tim Croston, where you know, the average terrorist in this country is a fifty nine year old white woman who holds up a sign or who now who sits down and claps or you know, is is proximate in some way to someone who says something would have been completely unimaginable literally literally.
Speaker 1: Well, unfortunately, Shabana Mahmood's pronoctocon shall continue until morale improves.
Speaker 3: Or the sharp and optaicon shall we call it now.
Speaker 1: At one point, our producer Jack tried to get some answers from the police, but why people were being arrested?
Speaker 3: If I sit down, will you arrest me? What's the answer to that?
Speaker 9: Opposite? Yeah?
Speaker 14: Why not?
Speaker 2: Just another reason why we arrested? So why have other people been arrested for certain game today?
Speaker 3: You'd love to ask them.
Speaker 5: I'd have to ask the people who are being arrested why they've been arrested.
Speaker 3: It doesn't seem a great deal logic to that officer.
Speaker 1: The professionalism of the Metropolitan Police on full display yet again. Now the police say one hundred and seventeen people were arrested today under a combination of Section twelve and thirteen charges. What do you think the impact of all of this is going to be?
Speaker 2: Stephen I mean, I think there's actually no no telling I would say something about that interaction between Jack and that police officer. You know, I don't think it's a failure of professionalism on the part of the police there. I think it's actually not knowing what it is that they're supposed to be doing, like it being completely mystifying even to the officers there. The reason they can't answer the question is because they don't know. I really believe why it is that they're arresting these so you know, they're doing something. They're around, you know, someone who's saying something that they shouldn't be saying, which is a prescribed statement, but they do not know what the threshold is themselves. And I suspect that the police are just under you know, from from some chame some from some some some parts parts of government, perhaps un there's some pressure to continue doing what is actually a form of madness, like literally like insane asylum sort of stuff, because what's going to happen is that all the what many of those people I think will who were arrested today will win, will win conversation for false arrests because I don't I find it very hard for the police to find very hard to see how the police are going to be able to maintain a position that actually they were expressing support for a prescribed group when I don't think anybody saw it, and I know and to disbelieve them, but defending juries is obviously going to continue to escalate its tactics. And you know, I was there in the summer when last summer when the small not the small, when the sign protests began in very small numbers, and I saw it go from fifty to five hundred to one thousand to fifteen hundred, you know, just just a step by step by set, more and more people were prepared to break the law in order to stand against the prescription of palasine action. When I was at Scotland Yard, I think there were maybe eleven people who did the escalatory thing of a Section twelve breach. I know one hundred and seventeen people were arrested today according to the met That's a lot of people, and that's you know, tenfold what we saw just a month ago. That if those charges go through the Crown Court, I don't know how they're going to deal with them, because you know, the Crown Court is already extremely packed, extremely busy, falling apart. People were saying, we have to get rid of juries because we're not going to doing cases fast enough of Andy Burnham has abandoned that apparently, so that's that's good. But yeah, really this is going to take some kind of government change of heart. And you know, Andy Burnham is now in charge. He must be looking at this, he must be thinking this is kind of idiotic. I don't want this on my record. I don't want Ivett Cooper's I mean, I'm going to say it's you know, stupidity to be amar on my time as he.
Speaker 1: Wants to focus on bus prices and on the cost of living and domestic policy, and having to have his hands tied up by previous silly decisions made by former members of the government are only going to distract him from this kind of true thing is he actually wants to get done in this country, especially when you know, like he'd already wants to scrap the jury reforms. I believe that was briefed out by somebody else from the government because again they don't want to have to deal with constitutional reform that distracts from the economy.
Speaker 2: That people will be strongly strongly opposed to as well. Curious stuff is doing viral internationally.
Speaker 1: Carlson is talking about, you know, people getting arrested for holding science's port Palestine.
Speaker 3: This is a situation that we're.
Speaker 2: Right, and then we just say something about Shabanamamud, whos saw the Home Secretary and you know, for whatever reason, has decided that she would like her name plastered all over this mess as well. If you want to do law and order, which I think is something that she does want to do, what you don't want to do is cram the courts with pensioners and retired people and you know, peace nicks and students who are protesting. You don't want to see thousands of people in the Crown court. And I think, you know, I don't know, I don't know. It's obviously a bigger undertaking of the fourteen year sentence attached to a section twelve breach. But I think that there will probably be a lot of people who are prepared to do it because they feel so strongly about the danger of this prescription and the kind of slippery slope that it creates. I think they're right to feel like that.
Speaker 1: So if this was a country in the global salad there would be admonished by the global law for doing things. But you know, under the guise of being a quote unquote liberal democracy.
Speaker 3: These able get away with it. Seeven, think you're very much for joining me today. Thanks.
Speaker 1: Now that has been some other Palastine Action news today. A Palasine Action co founder who Amuri has been given permission to appeal the prescription at the Supreme Court today. That hearing will take place in the autumn, with a Mare saying this. The Supreme Court's decision to grant permission to appeal comes as hundreds more ordinary people are arrested today under terror laws simpler for saying they oppose genocide and support Palestine Action, adding to the more than three and a half thousand arrests to date with this entirely peaceful protest. Many more reportedly arrested today despite not expressing support for Palasine Action, including people who are simply setting up a stage or reading poems about Gaza. This further evidence is our case that the prescription of Palatine Action has become a vehicle for a far broader crackdown on expressions of solidarity with.
Speaker 3: The Palestinian people.
Speaker 1: Dahlia this all seems a little bit like that it is going to presumably push this back up the new story again. I get mister Aliberden Plead doesn't want yeah.
Speaker 14: And I think it's interesting that we've gotten that we're in a position now where it is going to go to the Supreme Court. I was checked Stephen earlier today and he's suggested that this was because I think Burnham is a lot savvier than than perhaps we might think, and it's a way for him to kind of get this off the table in terms of the media, the news as a news item, and you know, but do it without being seen to show political support for you know, not arresting like thousands of pensioners for holding up a sign because it doesn't look good. And you know, kind of overall on what this means going forward for us, you know, I don't like to necessarily say, oh, gosh, you know, we're becoming like authoritarian regimes, because it kind of suggests that Britain has been this like innocent bastion of liberalism and it would never dream of sowing the seeds for authoritarianism globally, when actually that is kind of what it's done for its at least recent history. But I do think that we need to understand that what is being done today to the defend our Juries protesters and also to the Palestine Action protesters is.
Speaker 13: Like, bit for bit, directly out.
Speaker 14: Of the playbook of any government that we would broadly consider to be authoritarian. So, you know, whether you're talking about Russia, whether you're talking about China, this use of anti terror law in order to crack down on political dissent. You know, when when the Russian government closes down all independent media, it doesn't say we're doing this because we don't believe in a free press and because this is an authoritarian regime. They say, we're shutting down these media outlets because they are supportive of terror, you know, or they are they are sympathetic to terrorism.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 14: And you know, we have to and we have to ask ourselves why is it that the government is so fixed and hell bent on pursuing the specific crime or allegation of terrorism. Because you know, if you want to lock up the Palestine Action protesters, if you want to punish them for what they've done, there are laws in which you could have done that under you know, criminal damage. They could have just you know, raised the charge of criminal damage. It probably would have gone through a lot more easily without as much controversy. But they are going specifically after terror legislation for multiple reasons. The first one is because when you bring something under the purview of terrorism of terror legislation, it almost exists outside of normal legal reality. So like all of these principles that we have built up over many years, whether it's around you know, state surveillance, or around detention, or around the right to private legal advice, all of these things suddenly exit the building. And so it's a way for the government to be able to basically get around the pesky fact of core legal rights and core legal frameworks. And so, you know, and that's something that people are willing to accept, you know, the idea that we would suspend normal due process when we're talking about when we're in the aftermath of massive attacks where lots of people have died because people are scared and angry and.
Speaker 13: Traumatized.
Speaker 14: And those of us who have sort of been ringing the alarm on this on this crackdown of civil liberties in the name of the counter terror were always very unpopular for doing that because it was seen as not having compassion for victims, or it was seen as as not taking terrorism seriously or the pain that has been caused of it seriously. But this is exactly why, because what happens is when you expand the category of terrorism, you expand the rema of the government to basically bypass traditional legal protections, and then you can also introduce this secondary crime of supporting a terror organization, which and that's when we get into the.
Speaker 13: Territory of thought crime.
Speaker 14: That's when we get into the territory of people being criminalized for things that they think or ideologies they might hold. And there's no other existing legal framework other than maybe hate speech framework to really persecute people for what they think and or if they dissent in their thought against what the government perhaps wants. Whereas when you introduce this idea of supporting a terror organization as being something punishable by years in prison or that opens you up to being surveilled by the government, to having your devices seized, to having your right to privacy compromise. Then suddenly, through the back door, we have a crackdown on freedom of association, freedom of speech, freedom of thought, and freedom of the press. And so it has been a drip feed. But it is not surprising to me that this is where we have ended up twenty five years after the entry reduction, after the amendment of the cat Terror legislation.
Speaker 1: And like, how different is this to like Marco Rubio exploiting this stuff for the NSPM seven to crack down on people who they say a terrorist things, to expunge from society basically in terms of their organization. It's really really damaging to the social fabric. The children of the UK lead normal lives and guaranteed access to an education is a privilege some of us take for granted. For the children and for the teenagers of Gaza, it's a very different story. Even with the so called ceasefire broken between Israel and the Palestinian resistance, bombs continue to rain down on the enclave. This means that even the idea of studying as well beyond many Gazans who are desperate to go back to their lives before Israel's genocide began. Many countries across Europe have offered these people a lifeline programs to evacuate them from Gaza and bring them to Europe to study at some of the best universities in the world. However, for these gifted students to be able to come to Britain, they either need to have full scholarships or to be able to fund themselves, something that's impossible for them to achieve given the extortionate cost of the subsistence. In the besieged enclave, from which ninety five percent are high, educational buildings have been destroyed or damaged. Luckily, some celebrities have tried to come to the rescue. Twenty UK celebs have banded together with the Phoenix based charity to organize a charity auction to be able to raise money to fund these students' costs to come here to study. Juliete Stevenson, star of films like Truly, Madly, Deeply and Bend It like Beckham, as well as many many stage productions, is one of those donating items to the auction, and she joins me now to discuss the initiative. Juliet welcome to the show. It's lovely to have you, Hi, good to be here, absolutely absolutely, Now, why was it important for you to get involved with this project?
Speaker 9: Well, for all the reasons you've just said.
Speaker 10: You know, we take for granted that our kids or the students across the country, you know, from eighteen onwards are able to access you know, tertiary education and follow their dreams.
Speaker 9: And study and so on.
Speaker 10: But the students in Gaza have already been through a sort of hellish three years of the entire infrastructure of their education being destroyed. All seven Guards and university have been destroyed, libraries, you know, precious equipment, study spaces and so on, and people have been living in hunger, fear, grief, rage, and so many of these students have tried really hard to continue their studies. We have a situation now in which over two hundred of them have been offered places by top British universities, which is fantastic and the fact they have done this, these students have achieved these places not through any kind of charitable avenue, but because they have earned these places through academic merit, and on top of which, you know, they've had to do this in incredible circumstances. We've heard stories of students climbing up mountains of rubble to try and reach a little bit of Wi Fi signal, endangering themselves in the line of sniper fire of the Israeli The idea for or drone fire just to get a bit of Wi Fi to send their application into a university. One student crossed a very very dangerous territory to get to a temporary WiFi hub to sit an entrance exam, only for that Wi Fi to collapse halfway through his exam. So it's just extraordinarily moving to think of what they've been through. But anyway, they have over two hundred have these places, but the British government, as you said, are saying that they can come only if they have fully funded scholarships. How is a Gazan student supposed to do that? You know, people are starving in Gaza. They haven't got the money to feed their families, let alone pay these large sums. And we're talking about a minimum of seventeen thousand pounds per student. So just as a start, and we hope it will be make a big substantial contribution.
Speaker 9: Some of us have got together this auction.
Speaker 10: What's Phoenix Space is the wonderful charity who have organized this auction. And originally the idea was that we should all donate an item that meant something to us from our own education.
Speaker 9: So I've given a book of poetry about poetry that I've had.
Speaker 10: I got it as a prize when I was at school when I was about fifteen, and I've had it on my bookshelves ever since. So I've donated that. But then after a while some celebrities said, well, I don't have anything from my school days, so they have just been free then to donate all sorts of amazing things. So Gary Lineker is donating a football T shirt that I think he's signed, Vanessa Redgraves donating a very valuable necklace. There's lots and lots of different things in the auction and we hope to raise a really substantial sum of money for these students so they can get to Britain to take up their places.
Speaker 1: Given all the difficulties you just mentioned there in terms of the Garden's ability to generate the funds themselves to be able to come to the case of study, why do you think the government havn't stumped up some of the money themselves.
Speaker 10: Well, I mean, look at what this government's relationship to Palestine and Tagaza has been for you know, since since the genocide began. I mean, we have been horrifically complicit in this genocide. We have continued to sell arms to Israel. That has not stopped. We are still selling arms as well. We are still selling parts for the thirty five bombers that you know are the very bombers that are projected onto the people of Gaza and that have been responsible now for over seventy five thousand deaths, including twenty two thousand children according to reports on the ground. So we are in many ways colluding. We have colluded, and this government has had a shocking and shameful record in relation to Gaza.
Speaker 9: We very very much welcome that the Home Office have.
Speaker 10: Changed the visa application system so that students no longer have to produce biometric data, which was the case a year ago.
Speaker 9: And now they don't have to do that. So the Home Office has.
Speaker 10: Moved in the right direction, but it's slightly it's sort of torturous to say to these students you've got to produce these large sums of money, because there's no way they can do that. So if the government is not going to change their view on this, and we would appeal to them to do so, but if they're not, then we are asking everybody who's hearing this to either go to the auction and bid for something or else to donate. I mean, if you don't want any of the auction items, that's fine, but please please make a contribution, however small, and let's see just how much money we can raise for these students if the government are not going to change their policy.
Speaker 3: Now, I've got to ask you.
Speaker 1: Now we do have like a new Prime Minister and one who has obviously been a little bit more kind of forthright and in terms of apologizing for labor slow and painful response to the genocide, what kind of action would you further like to see from Andy Burnham now that we've gotten someone new at the helm.
Speaker 10: I mean, yes, I welcome the apology, but apology is completely meaningless unless it's put into action.
Speaker 9: You know, now is not the time for words.
Speaker 10: We need words needs to be followed up by action and a complete change of policy. So the first thing I would ask urge Andy Burnham to do is to stop selling ams to Israel. I. Mean, that is the obvious one. We should be employing sanctions towards Israeli government, you know, because that is the only way we will really hit them is by by sanctions, and you know, boycotting and divestment. We have, you know, hundreds and hundreds of British industries who are deeply implicated in commerce.
Speaker 9: And trade with Israel.
Speaker 10: And the only way anything will work really is if we stand up and first of all stop selling arms and then and then hit them commercially, because I think that's, honestly, you know, one of the most effective ways we can we can make our feelings felt. But I mean, and Andy Burnham is going to have to stand up and resist a very very powerful lobby which will be pressurizing him not to.
Speaker 9: You know, when I heard.
Speaker 10: Your previous your previous reporter talking about why this terrorist legislation has got as far as it has, I mean, I do agree with her. But what she didn't say, which I would say is the most significant thing, is that there is an extraordinarily influential and powerful lobby in this country that has argued and has in fact drawn up that legislation. And it's the same lobby who is urging you know, this government and Starmer's government to support the Israeli government in spite of this mass slaughter of its people. And so Burnham needs to stand up to that lobby. He needs to you know, access his moral muscle and make decisions that are about what he really believes in and not is what he's doing to please a lobby that really has it's you know, which has has a lot of blood on its hands.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 1: For the last almost three years now, we saw the destruction of Gaza, the looting of the West Bank, the incursions in se Lebanon. I was on a personal level, have you had any in terms of your professional life, if you had any kind of backclash in terms of your personal support for the Palestinian cause.
Speaker 10: I mean, obviously I get, you know, messages of hatred and so on, But I mean I've been working all the way through. I haven't you know, you don't know about the jobs you didn't get. You don't know about the people who don't want to employ you because my position. But to be absolutely honest, it doesn't really matter to me. I know that I'm living through a period of I mean, we've never witnessed a live stream to genocide before.
Speaker 9: That's been said many times. I mean I have been.
Speaker 10: So sort of reshaped and altered by what I personally have lived through in the last three years, and many many people I know feel the same, we've lived through something horrific. What humanity can do. What the Israeli still just have done to the people of Palestine. They are still denying AID, they are still withholding baby formula milk when babies are starving in Gaza. You know, they're inflicting torture on Palestinian prisoners, they are murdering their healthcare workers, they are torturing and detaining incredibly heroic Palestinian doctors and surgeons who are just trying to save children's lives in Gaza, and what we have witnessed has been so horrific.
Speaker 9: So you know, really, when you ask yourself the big questions.
Speaker 10: In life, what does it really matter my career as against those things, I just feel that we have one life, you know, and it's up to you to stand up and speak about what you believe in. And if that sounds sort of pompous or earnest, I'm not going to apologize for it because I.
Speaker 9: Just feel, you know, I just need my life.
Speaker 10: I need to align myself behind what I believe in and then at least I feel I've done something with this life, you know, Otherwise I would not be able to look at myself in the mirror. Really, you know, I think many many more people need to be standing up now that we need to be naming these things. We need to be standing up, you know. I think, you know, you bullies can only win if you.
Speaker 9: Allow them to win. You need you need to, you know.
Speaker 10: I think there's so many ordinary people in Britain who have stood up, who've come out.
Speaker 9: Who have risked a lot to join the protests and.
Speaker 10: So on, and I meet them all the time, and it's a wonderful community. So I feel more supported by that community than I do feel threatened by those who oppose it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely could not agree more with those kind of absolutely not. Thank you very much for joining us statute. It's an absolute pleasure.
Speaker 9: Actually, thank you for having me now.
Speaker 1: Early today I also spoke to a sham Abudalu, one of the Garsen students offer a university place in fact two places in the UK. She was in Gaza when I spoke to her, and I began by asking her about her plans to come here and study.
Speaker 15: Coming to the UK just like a dream for me, especially nowadays with all situations happening here in Gaza and that the education is destroyed by all it means here in Gaza, there's no schools, no college, no where to study or nowhere to continue my education. So if I get to the UK, I would be able to continue my journey and to attend university in the UK which has a very suitable environment for me to continue and to charle my dream there.
Speaker 3: And how much money is it that you'd need to be able to raise.
Speaker 15: I don't know exactly the amount of money, but it's a lot amount of money we're student because in order to get for like the fund, you need to get for like the tuition fund and the other living experiment in the UK. So it would cost a lot for a student, like maybe fifteen pounds for like living expenses only a very year.
Speaker 1: And obviously it is a technological based degree you're looking at. I think it's other technology from York or there's computer science at the University of Edinburgh that you've been accepted on. Obviously, so that you were dreamed to coming, to be able to study, to be able to get even more of an education. What kind of dreams were you looking to fulfill with these kind of qualifications.
Speaker 15: I got accepted in AI and commuter science of course in the University of Edinburgh.
Speaker 9: So my pasion is.
Speaker 15: About tech and I've been dreaming about it since I was a child, because when I was in high school, I used to see my parents because most of them are commuter engineers. So I was enveloped in this since I was a kid, and I started to love this and have more visionate about it, and then I started to participate in practice in in this field. I joined the multiple clubs and brokerams and last one of them was before the war. I was selected in tich Girls, which is an exchange program that was healed in the United States. So it was like a big opportunity for me and I think that this is the opportunity that made me what I am currently. So after that, when the war started and everything shattered, I couldn't complete my last year in high school and it got delayed for two years. And finally after a lot of obstacles, a lot of losing a lot of I lost a lot of people, I lost a lot of things in order to be able to achieve this, and then I got my grade twelve degree and after that I was able to apply for colleges in the United Kingdom, and then I got accepted in my AI and guter science course in Edinburgh, which is like a dream for me. So I feel like if I was able to get to the United States and to complete the United Kingdom sorry, and to complete this course and good this to Douma and get this, I will be able to get back to the like the knowledge and the technical knowledge, the technoledge of the knowledge that I will.
Speaker 13: Learn from the UK.
Speaker 15: I will get back to my country and to start and try actually to rebuild a gauza as we you used to know and even higher than this, because everything here is destroyed. So I will try to to make our and take the thing that I gained from the UK to my people here in Bossa, maybe to renew the educational sector or maybe the the health sector because everything is shuttered right now and destroyed.
Speaker 1: One not kind of a broader question, how has the war in general effec not just your education, but the rest of your life as well.
Speaker 15: Basically, I feel like the war has affected my life in every point of it, starting from my home because my home got destroyed, so I'm basically now homeless, and they took away my family from me. I lost my mom, my, twin sisters, and my brother and I'm alone with my father and I Also when I lost my mom, I got injured and I was stuck under the rubble for three hours and I wasn't able to move for like a month because of this because I got injured in my leg.
Speaker 3: And also it.
Speaker 15: Has affected my mental health and also my physical health because after I lost my mom and after like everything was happening, because like I was living in this environment where there's not even a moment that I got to stay like quiet and save like whenever I think something bad happened. So I was really insecure and I was really afraid, Like every moment I live here in Goza, I live it with fear that I would lost my soul or anyone that I love in the next moment. So I was living in this for like three years by now, and the suffer is continue and also not like even like the shelter and the food and the water were really hard to access, and even like the electricity and internet. It's really hard for me to even attend this intribute to it because there's no electricity and internet in my home. So I got to go to a cafe to like internet cafe in order to attend this where I have to to pay like insanely pricing price in order to get like an internet connection. And also I got to like work for miles. This is like for like my personal life and my educational life. It got affected me a lot because since we started, we stopped learning because they destroyed like the schools and they even called like teachers and professors. So it was really hard to continue my journey, like like my twelve my grade twelve, so I got to take like lessons online in order to complete this stage, and attending and even attending the classes were really difficult. So if you think about it, you could find the suffer in everything like we do. And what really made me sad because these are like really simple things that everything everyone should have, Like it's all right, it's all ready to learn to live peacefully, to sleep at night without like waking up in like a horrible sound, and without having a bad news about your loved one.
Speaker 9: So who are has traumatized me?
Speaker 1: I mean, these are a lot of things that everyone you know, outside of the kind of the water the world, they take for at it, and it's difficult to be able to understand quite how that would feel. Given the relative safety that all of us live in in the UK, and I just the last year, I'd just like to say, what would you say to the people watching at home? How can they help? And not just obviously yourself as well in terms of the fundraiser, but also in terms of what's happening in Gards more broadly.
Speaker 15: I can say that this campaign is a really good one, and I would say, like my masters to the people that they keep up with this and that they support this campaign and try to share it as widely as they could, because they don't know how much this campaign would affect the lives people here in Gaza, because there's like two hundred students and even more that are you having an acceptance in university, but they don't have the enough fund for that will allow them to attend the university. So this campaign and this occasion would help a lot of people and would change their lives basically because we live like this opportunity would mean a lot for everyone living here. So I would advise everyone that watching this to try to look more and to get more information about this occasion and to try to donate or share or do like any little thing that they could do. Because everything matter, and every voice count and every donation count. And I'm really happy that there's a lot of people thinking about us, especially for the celebration that attempting this occasion today, this would be like a really beautiful thing and would really change someone's life.
Speaker 1: That was shame Aboudolo speaking to me earlier today. The received wisdom is that politics is hard, but if you're Zack Palanski, you'd be forgiven for thinking the opposite. Gifted with natural charm, charisma, and with his former career as an actor preparing him with all the soft skills necessary, it's easy to see how we take to politics like a duck to water. There's been ten months since he was elective leader the Green Party in a landslide victory. He's had quite the meteoric rise since then. It only took seven months into his term as lead of him to take the party from the respectable seven percent in the polls the party achieved for the previous general election to registering the first pole lead ever for the party in April this year. It's not just Polanski to thank for these successes. A slick social media campaign or alongside an army of canvases gave the party a crushing victory in the Gaulton and Densen by election, as well as a discovery of another political talent in the form of their candidate, Hannah Spencer. Should this have been a surprise to anyone, though, the fertile ground for a party of the populist left was made ready and available for Polanski and co. To move into when former Labour leader Kirstaer pursed anyone to the left of Gerhard Schruder from the Labour Party, and then he also dragged his party firmly to the right on a number of issues. There was a wellspring of post Corbyn's socialist sentiment available for the Greens of Tapinsu, especially among the youth, amongst whom at time of recording the Green still poll in first with and they had been gifted to them willingly by the star regime.
Speaker 3: Remember this.
Speaker 16: If you don't like that, if you don't like the changes that we've made, I say the door is open and you can leave.
Speaker 3: I'm on the subject of Starmer.
Speaker 1: Not only were the Greens gifted and nascent supporter base, they were also gifted possibly the worst political operator possible as an opponent endless policy gaffs and manifesto breaches, coupled with hilariously bad political antennae that made him the motated prime minisistance records began. Starmer raised a profile of all of his political opponents merely by proxy, especially at a time of deteriorated living standards and a broken economic system that's creaking at the seams. Let's be frank, the Green Party, I've been playing politics on He's mode for quite a while now. Not only was there a confluence of favorable conditions for them to cannibalize the voter base of the Labor Party, their previous status as a minor party shielded them from a great deal of media scrutiny that would stymy the successes of a mainstream party.
Speaker 3: Polanski and co.
Speaker 1: Have been able to bypass the mainstream media and talk directly to voters via social media, of which Fleet Street have been very slow to catch up with, another arena where Zach Polanski's charisma has been a real boom to the party. All of this culminated in record gains for the Green Party at May's local elections and the eventual toppling of Kirstaarmer's Prime Minister and now the real politics begins. Gone are the days of easily dunking on an adenoidal PM proclaiming his father was a drill bit. The government has finally put an actual human in charge of the country with functioning emotions heaven forfen. The rhetoric and policy have also shifted to It's clear Burnham's team of recognized Labour's polling blue to their left and have parked their tanks on Polanski's lawn. Remember the Green slogan of making hope normal again while Andy Burnham is bringing back hope, even borrowed lines from Hannah Spencer's victory speech in Gortland Denton around the struggles to not being able to afford simple luxuries during the cost of living crisis. Burnham's first week policy blitz has catabolticed his favorability ratings higher than any leader in years plus nineteen, so is practically unheard of in this era of fractured politics, and whether it's a holleymoon period or not, it's clear that a renewed focus on the cost of living has immediately curried favor with voters. Direct relief for small businesses and economically precarious are the kind of policies that are Polanski's bread and butter, and given the precipitous drop in Labour support among these demographics previously, the Greens will need to up their game to keep them on side now that Labour has somewhat reverted to type on economic policy, being combative rather than collaborative on policies that are shared between the two leaders is unlikely to prove popular given the public atte type for politicians working together on shared goals. Voters tend to give new pms the benefit of the doubt, and coming out swinging immediately could look unfair, potentially in the eyes of the electorate. If the Greens want to bring him back down to Earth, they'll need to force him onto ground. Is significantly less comfortable on such as climate change, civil liberties, and foreign policy, where the Greens hold something closer to median opinion on than the government. It's clear that the Greens aren't used to having to respond to narrative setting Elsewhere. It was extremely easy to be the aggressor against Kirstamer, who spent six years letting everyone else dictake the terms of the debate, but Burnham's more effective use of social media and direct focus on the quick wins for people's pockets may prove a more difficult beast to slay, especially after he ditched some of the predecessors. More on popular policies such as digital ID and juria reforms as not just the opposing parties that are set in the terms of debate either. Now the Greens have been established as a serious electoral force, they're being subject to significantly more scrutiny than they were a couple of years ago. Whilst some of these things will be easier to rise above, such as ridiculous resurrection of Polanski's decodes or careers aple the therapist, others have caught the public's attention more vividly, such as the media storm around Polanski's retweeted criticism of the officer who apprehended the Golden Screen suspect. More recently, He's got himself in hot water yet again, after carelessly accepting a collaboration request on an Instagram carousel in which a photo of a man wearing a T shirt with a picture of a guillotine and would appear to be a veiled reference to Nigel Faraj in it. Just days after another reform politician was murdered in her home as well. The legacy media had a field day on the subject, leading to pretty real moments like this one on Newsnight when Nicholas Watt started live reporting angry texts from Reform Party.
Speaker 17: Have got reaction from Reform UK to your interview with Zach Polanski, and a senior Reform UK source has said to me, it's truly astonishing and quite frankly sickening that Zach Polanski won't apologize for inciting murder.
Speaker 18: He admits it was wrong, he admits it's dangerous, but he still refuses to apologize. Mister Polanski, this Reform UK source says to me, is not fit to lead a national political party now.
Speaker 1: Regardless of whether Green Party support is for you, the criticism as legitimate or not, it's a distraction from policy and the hard work of Green represents to have to constantly firefight concocted media drama around tweets, and there has to be an acknowledgment by the party that serious polling figures require a serious approach to politics. Disgruntle party members have apparently briefed journalists that they think Zach Planski is quote terminally online and needs to hand over the key to his social media accounts. His excessive use of social media hasn't gone unnoticed by journalists either.
Speaker 4: Zak Polanski is a terminally online political figure, and that has been an asset to some extent. It has explained his rise, you know, during that period of the doll drums of the Labor government and the Keirstalmer government. His using his social media content, which was so crisp and had such clarity and had such a clear message, it propelled them up the polls extremely quickly, and it managed to appeal to a disaffected left populist vote in the country that basically hadn't been spoken four and two since the days of Jeremy Corbyn. But you can have to much of a good thing, and you can see in terms of Polanski, I mean to be probably honest, I sort of notice about myself sometimes when I'm tweeting or putting something out, one of the first people who often likes it or sometimes retweet is that Polanski. And that happens once and you think, oh, that's quite nice. He's paying attention to what you're saying. When it happens a sort of second, third, fifth, tenth, one hundredth time you're like May if you've not got anything better to be doing than retweeting my stuff. Don't get me wrong, it's excellent, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Now, I will be the first to say, briefing to journalists about your misgivings for your own party is the opposite of serious politics. Anyone who's been involved with the Labor Party, We'll tell you that. But neither is accepting every collaboration request or retweeting every supporter's post on social media. The Greens have money now that the second biggest party in the country, and a dedicated social media team available to produce content with consistency of direction. Prudence of engagement is paramount to taking the Greens from one time insurgence to a political mainstay. The last area where the Greens have to also adapt is the new environment on policy. When you're an insurgent, it's all about talking to your own people, and so far they've been excellent on raising the salients of policies such as wealth taxes, rent controls and actions against Israel's genocide and Gaza.
Speaker 3: But once you've become a mainstream.
Speaker 1: Party, your policies have to appeal to those outside of your own coalition, and they have to be defended against your opponents, such as this moment on ITV's Pestin.
Speaker 8: We live in one of the wealthiest countries in the world, but you can speak to almost anyone and people know that they don't feel wealthier. Their bills are going up, their wages aren't going up. We're seeing people struggle. We're seeing nurses queuing up at food banks. So it's just not working. And actually we need a fundamentally different economics.
Speaker 9: People.
Speaker 7: If you drive entrepreneurs abroad the very people, well, well, I think there's a lot of evidence. In fact, we've been seeing over the last couple of weeks and.
Speaker 2: Has a wealth tax a place with famously wealth tax.
Speaker 7: I think the vast majority three quarters of the countries that had wealth taxes in the nineteen nineties have scrapped them because they didn't work. And what they found is actually they were driving away the very people they needed to create jobs in the economy.
Speaker 1: We hear these points, you need to have like a real constructive and real kind of critical analysis of the kind of points that Jeremy Hunt is making here. Now, It's true, plenty of people in the country are already brought into a wealth tax on the grounds of inequality alone. But when you hear points such as stemy, economic growth and investment, those things need to be counted for on their own terms.
Speaker 3: Luckily we have the data to understand this.
Speaker 1: You look at Norway's tax in which they increase the rates recently and only two percent of millionaire wealth left the country and still led to an increase in revenue and an increase in equality within the country. That's been a continual policy in Norway, and it's not been scrapped necessarily because they didn't work, quote unquote, as Jeremy Hunt said, but lots of funds have been scrapped elsewhere purely on political reasons rather than necessarily because it's economically unproductive. And in Norway, people who invest in productive businesses the people who Jeremy Hunt regards as wealth creators, something I would also dispute, probably a subject for another time, but those business investments aren't even regulated by this wealth tax. It is for people who are landlords. There's people who own massive collections of classic cars, or people who have massive share portfolios. Those are the people who are heavily targeted by Norway's wealth tax. Has continually existed. They've raised the rageus recently and it's still generating revenue for the state of Norway. And you to have points like this memorized so that you can retort in the best way possible when people try and take down your policies. Now, there was also this very excruciating moment on the Makefield di election debate on Question Time too.
Speaker 6: But one thing I.
Speaker 19: Do want to say is that the idea of blaming our housing crisis on immigration is absolutely wild to me.
Speaker 13: Actually, do you think it's.
Speaker 17: Got an extra ten to twenty million people come in the country.
Speaker 19: You think that if do you think they do.
Speaker 7: An extra ten million people are going to have an effect on How do you.
Speaker 19: Think that if we lock down our borders we're going to solve the housing crisis? Is not going to solve.
Speaker 8: The thing is, the more people you have in a country, the more houses you're going to need.
Speaker 1: And it might sound he's really good at explaining things.
Speaker 19: Blames, Yeah, using immigration on the issue of housing I think is absolutely.
Speaker 3: You said it has no impact on housing. I think Andy wanted to come in, Do you want to.
Speaker 17: Just ask that question from its immigration of an effect on housing.
Speaker 19: Whoever lives in this country has an impact on housing.
Speaker 1: Of course, and again this has been a continual point made by the right, and you have to have a proper repost. You need to understand where these points are coming from. Has immigration led to an increase in house prizes?
Speaker 3: It has done.
Speaker 1: The question is whether the extensive immigration is actually having insignificant impacts, and the evidence says no, it isn't. First of all, worth pointing out one of the things that we do have is an aging population, which means the population will have to increase, whether it's by an increase in birthrate or immigration coming in and increasing population will always increase the number of houses that you need. Have we built enough houses well, broadly, we've been under building houses for a very long time. But in terms of the number of houses per capita in this country, that's continued to increase and has continued to increase from a much lower position that it was previously, too much higher position. Now when you look at the actual impact in terms of how immigration affects house prices, like only six percent of the house prices we've seen increase over the last thirty years, studies have shown is going to be down to migration. We actually have fifteen million fifteen million spare bedrooms in this country, and lots of these cases are because of older people not downsizing because of the potential impact of things like stamp duty and not having enough bungalows available for them to move into. We have a very inefficient distribution of how people live in this country because of changing living arrangements. Also, people are staying single for longer, meaning they cohabit, or they need more single family single person flats rather than single family houses, meaning again we have an insufficient distribution of houses or people per house. These are significantly greater impacts on house prices, especially since migrants often cohabit in larger families and single houses in a way that we in this country who aren't immigrants really don't. That's been a kind of cultural difference there. So the immigration impact really isn't that high in this country. And unless you have those things memorized and you understand the reposts in terms of these responses, you're not going to be able to properly respond when people bring up their own perspectives on things such as the housing crisis. As we saw on that clip, there now all the major parties have started preparing for the next selection. The Greens need to start preparing too, and that doesn't just mean having the soundbites ready on policies people want. It means being able to defend those policies publicly and to build a full perspectus for government on every key policy area. As policy within the Green Party is decided by members, the process can be kind of slow and unwieldy. No, that's not a bad thing. I really like the member democracy and the Green Party. I think it's a good thing. Now, it does mean that the work on getting these things tied down has to happen sooner rather than later. Dahlia, do you think that the Green Party need a change of strategy given that there's a new prime ministry in place, or do you think we can see the Green Party move in the same direction they've been going in before.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I do think that the territory has certainly changed. I mean, on the one hand, I do think it's important to understand that there is no acceptable socialists to the British press, and so we will never be in a situation where, you know, we have a prominent socialist politician who is not being attacked by the press. There's no way to eliminate the likelihood of hit pieces, and particularly kind of unfair and frivolous hit pieces, and so far, I think that Polanski has dealt with that quite well because he sort of refused to cower in the face of these hit pieces. He often draws attention to it and calls it out for what it is, which is a distraction. So he kind of uses the weight of the press against itself and I think that has broadly been quite effective. But I do you think that now we are in a different territory, now that we have Burnham as head of the Labor Party. First of all, I think that now that Burnham's been elected, the press really want to kind of declare Polanski dead. And I also think that Burnham is a lot savvier than perhaps we give him credit for. I think it's not just that Starmer was really bad. I think that Burnham also has a very keen understanding of politics. I think the fact that he when the transition of power was happening from Corbynism to Starmerism, he kind of identified quite early on. I don't want to get I need to like take myself out of this because the next few years are going to be really messy and they're going to be really destructive. If I take my hat out the ring for the next five years, I can, like pet I can reap the rewards of that later down the line. But I also think that the Greens are and I agree with you, the Greens are now a very serious force in politics, and they need to take themselves seriously. And I think that it's very important that they remain a series force in politics because even though now that Burnham is his leader with the Labor Party, the chances of the next selection being a Reform versus Green dynamic is probably lower. I mean, it was always quite far fetched, but I think now it is definitely lower. Especially if Burnham does spend the next few years actually making advances on bread and butter issues, then the prospect of that has decreased quite a bit. But one thing that Reform has definitely showed us, and Nigel Farrage as a political operator has showed us, is that you don't even have to have a single elected MP to be able to really shape and influence the political landscape and the political spectrum in this country. I'm not saying that that's a great thing. You know, it would be great if we had like a functioning democracy where you could actually be represented in Parliament, not just by two parties that just kind of passed the baton to and from one another. But we have learned from Nigel Farrajan is various political vehicles that you can create quite a significant center of gravity outside of the two main political parties that genuinely shapes what those political parties do. And I think it's very important going forward that the Labor Party never ever ever rests on the belief that it can take its base for granted, and that the left and that young people and progressive people are a kind of nuisance or are a fleas that you can shake off when you think it's politically expedient. And a strong Green party, a viable Green party, a Green party that takes itself seriously, that has a serious electoral and common strategy, is absolutely essential. So what I'm trying to say is that even if the Greens electoral prospects don't look as good under a Burnham leadership then perhaps they did under a Starmer leadership. There is still a vital role for the Greens to play in our political system because I'm not someone who is first and foremost committed to any political party. I'm committed to getting the best political program, the most just political program for Britain and also for all the people in the world who are impacted by what Britain does. And from that perspective, a healthy and strong and savvy Green Party can actually get a lot done, even if they might not be as close to an electoral victory as they were under Starma, because Starmer made it so easy.
Speaker 1: I mean, we literally left the European Union because the exact servative Party were scared of losing votes to UKIP, which happened. You have a twelve percent of the vote in twenty fifteen I think UKIP did. That's a significant chunk of the Conservative voture they were scared of, as well as internal party politics, and that's how we got one of the biggest constitutional changes in this country in decades and decades and decades. Right, you can have plenty of effect on politics from outside the systemhere.
Speaker 3: I think you're absolutely right, and.
Speaker 1: I think the press kind of haven't talked about the fact that Keir Starmer is no longer Prime Minister because of Zacho Polanski. Exactly. This is a really important point that never gets mentioned at all. It's a huge emerger on it, which is that, as I've been pointed out by John Curtis, it seems the only person on the BBC who's pointed this out, which was the biggest kind of vote migration between twenty twenty four and twenty twenty six local elections was Labor to Green. That was the biggest migration that caused Labor to lose seats in London and inner cities, but it also caused them to lose seats elsewhere due to a split vote, allowing Reform or the Tories to come up through the middle. This is the biggest migration of voters. And without Zach Perlanski having some way of being able to criticize Kirs Starmer bring those voters over. Remember, like the young person's vote, I think in terms of vote share was like forty between forty and forty seven percent for Labor at the last election. It's now sub twenty if you look at or at least went under Kistarmer at sub twenty. When you looked at the cross tabs on a lot of the polling companies showing really like the absolute cratering of their support amongst young people was very, very real, and this is why Kirstarmer was forced to step down. They lost the local elections, he was forced out. This does not happen without there being an insurgent force finding some home to the people who've been disabused by Stamerism.
Speaker 14: And it's not only that Kiss Starmer was forced to step down, it was that his replacement was to the left of him. Because there's another world in which Kis Starmer could have been forced to step down and parachuted in his place, would have been where Streeting. That actually looked very likely at one point, but it was specifically the fact that he was swapped out with Andy Burnham, who is to the left of Starma. That shows you the impact that you can have. And that's why I think we shouldn't get too preoccupied with you know, oh, well, is it likely that the Greens are going to win the next election or is it like that?
Speaker 13: That's not the point.
Speaker 14: The point is is that we need to have a really strong gravitational pull outside of the Labor Party that makes the Labor Party scared of losing the left because it has always rested on its laurels that they have nowhere else to go. There's always been this thing of like the left art going anywhere, they have nowhere else to go, So we basically don't have to give them any concessions. And that has changed, and that is really really powerful and really important.
Speaker 13: And I have to agree with you as well.
Speaker 14: Helena that, like as much as perhaps you know, being terminally online might be a problem, I think this briefing from within the party to the press has if any of you are listening, has has got to stop.
Speaker 1: We've already seen how damage in the stars for the Labor Party, like so much stuff that's just come out of you know, McSweeney Towers presumably or whatever it is. I mean to the point where Superey how to tell people in the like the actual kind of in number ten, you have to stop briefing.
Speaker 3: It looks terrible. All it does it.
Speaker 14: Makes you look on serious and it takes the potential of political power that you can have out because it's not like because the reason that people brief is because they want to weaken that there's a factional war within a party and they're like, I'm going to brief to the press so I can like weaken my factional opponent. In reality, it makes the whole thing look like a joke, So it actually doesn't have the concept the impact that you think it's.
Speaker 1: Gonna Like how many labor right MPs lost their seats in twenty nineteen because people from their same faction of briefing stupidship to the press to try and because you try and get make sure that Jeremy Corbin lost the all.
Speaker 14: And especially when you're talking about the Green Party, which is only really just arriving to mainstream politics, Like you have to convince the public that you are a serious party that can be a mainstream player, and you don't do that by looking like a divided clown show.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. There there needs to be a actual kind of unity of purpose. I get in this case, I think it was probably something quite small, like lots of people understood that. I think that maybe the social media stuff did go too far right, but this is, you know, a barometer for where this could go in the future, and absolutely right even at the first point of call when we see these briefings start to happen, like the people who they just have to stop and learn the press of the enemy if you're a political party. Doesn't matter what political party are for, unless you're especially a re socialist party, even an ecological party, given how much money from the petrochemical industry slashes around the media these days, right, the press are the enemy and you have to treat them like them, even if it's someone who presumably might be somewhat aligned to you, maybe even like the Guardian. There are still people there who want to take you down for their perceived political interest or indeed for viral interest or a good story, for just for a good story, for good copy. That's more important than that the political ends and means of what happens to the country overall, because that is not the concern of the media in this country. He's not the mainstream or legacy media. Thank you very much Darlie for joining me.
Speaker 13: Tonight, Thanks for having me Helena, and thank.
Speaker 1: You Stephen for joining us earlier as well. And thanks everyone for tuning in to day too. Come back tomorrow for another livestream from six pm. For now you've been watching Navaramedia.
Speaker 3: Good night,